425 Fifth Ave
Purchase (closed)
3020 Westchester Ave
Purchase, NY 10577

Dr. Dicken was consistently warm and friendly, while still being honest and frank about our chances. She remembered me and the details our my history from appointment to appointment and answered emails quickly...I was doing an IVF transfer with a PGS'ed 5 day blastocyst. I did the usual drug protocol I'd done at another clinic, but I also did intralipid infusions every 2-3 weeks starting before the transfer and then through the beginning of the pregnancy. SIRM does this treatment for people who've has recurrent, unexplained miscarriages like me in the past.
It's a small clinic [Sher Manhattan], which I found helpful in navigating treatment, schedules, and billing. Nurses sometimes goofed on details of drug protocols and scheduling, but I just made sure to check things and follow up. They were always very kind and accommodating...I was doing an IVF transfer with a PGS'ed 5 day blastocyst. I did the usual drug protocol I'd done at another clinic, but I also did intralipid infusions every 2-3 weeks starting before the transfer and then through the beginning of the pregnancy. SIRM does this treatment for people who've has recurrent, unexplained miscarriages like me in the past.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Again, Dr. Dicken was warm, friendly, available and kept my feelings in mind during a difficult time. She didn't withhold information or try to sugar coat anything, but she was clearly rooting for our success. At another clinic, I sometimes felt like their course of action was motivated more by their need to keep up their success rates.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I'm not sure -- I really felt like I received good care. I was transferring embryos from another clinic and I wish I'd done a better job of keeping all the details of all of my testing clear, but that is more a statement about my own level of disorganization. Dr. Dicken was thorough and considered all the aspects of my history.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the protocols Cary Dicken used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
They were all very kind and encouraging. Again, I felt like a human at every turn. I will say I found it much easier to communicate via phone than email.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
It's a small clinic, which I found helpful in navigating treatment, schedules, and billing. Nurses sometimes goofed on details of drug protocols and scheduling, but I just made sure to check things and follow up. They were always very kind and accommodating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
My insurance covered 80% of the cost of the transfer. Some of the drugs weren't covered.
Describe Cary Dicken's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Dr. Dicken suggested we transfer only one embryo rather than the two we had to choose from b/c of my history of miscarriages.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Dr. Tortoriello is very patient and is truly your doctor. He spent about 70 minutes with me at our first visit and he went over all the options and treatments. I asked him about PDG testing and he said it was an option but for me with such low egg number it might be best to just implant any healthy looking day 5 embryo. He really listened and he also did all my procedures...all of them. He also is great with emails...The strength is the doctors professionalism and compassion, and the same is true for his nurse
The strength is the doctors [Tortoriello] professionalism and compassion, and the same is true for his nurse. i saw many medical assistants [at Sher] and they were all friendly enough...I had scheduled appointments for each visit. As I left the office I would book the next one. Sometimes I would have a time that was later than I wanted, but they would always manage to work with my work schedule...Lindsay called and emailed me often. She is the sweetest nurse I ever met, and I have met many in my line of work.
How was your experience with Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. T was my first fertility doctor. (i saw one before him like a consult but never followed through because it was like a meat factory. ) I can't imagine any improvement except for the fact that his monitoring starts later than I was expecting, so i had to make some plans at work to accomodate that. Totally worth it though because I got to see him each time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Just listen to him, and don't be afraid to ask any questions because he is very happy to answer them all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the protocols Drew Tortoriello used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
I did not do a lot of medicine as my egg count is low. The first time I used a pill with gonal-F 150. The second time I did no pills but increased gonal to 250 I think. Over 2 cycles i made 2 blasts. i transferred one frozen blast and that took!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Lindsay called and emailed me often. She is the sweetest nurse I ever met, and I have met many in my line of work. She would even call me after emails I would send late at night sometimes.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The strength is the doctors professionalism and compassion, and the same is true for his nurse. i saw many medical assistants and they were all friendly enough. The lab must also be good too as I got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I had scheduled appointments for each visit. As I left the office I would book the next one. Sometimes I would have a time that was later than I wanted, but they would always manage to work with my work schedule. Once Dr. T waited to see me at 5:30pm !
Describe the costs associated with your care under Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Just co-pays. Everything was covered. My requirement for inseminations was waived because of our combined issues....too many to count it seemed.
Describe Drew Tortoriello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I had 2 blasts and he recommended one at a time. Good advice as it took !
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Dr. T has a very deliberative manner and makes it very clear that he takes your care seriously. Although I saw the other two doctors in the clinic for some of the procedures because of scheduling, Dr. T did all of his own monitoring rather than having technicians do them...it meant that I saw him all the time and felt like I had many opportunities to ask any questions I may have had. He never sugarcoated what was going on, but neither was he pessimistic. I appreciated his balanced attitude.
After the first couple visits, everyone knew my name and the desk staff knew me on sight...SIRM never felt like a factory. There were never more than a couple women at a time in the waiting room, I never waited more than 10 minutes during a visit, and no one ever raised their voice at anyone The staff also seemed relaxed... SIRM is very good with technology. Both the Dr and the nurses are available by email, and they send very clear instructions laid out by day on the calendar. They are also very fast on their insurance submittals.
Dr. T has a very deliberative manner and makes it very clear that he takes your care seriously. Although I saw the other two doctors in the clinic for some of the procedures because of scheduling, Dr. T did all of his own monitoring rather than having technicians do them. I wasn't sure if I would care one way or the other, since in the first clinic I went to, the monitoring was done by techs and I loved those ladies, in the end I think I felt more comfortable with Dr. T doing the monitoring simply because it meant that I saw him all the time and felt like I had many opportunities to ask any questions I may have had. He never sugarcoated what was going on, but neither was he pessimistic. I appreciated his balanced attitude.
I recommend Dr. T, and from limited interaction with the other two doctors, all of the doctors at this clinic without reservation. They ALL come across as very serious and caring.
After the first couple visits, everyone knew my name and the desk staff knew me on sight. Unlike the first clinic I went to, there were never more than one or two other women waiting at any given time. The staff also seemed relaxed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Bushra and Leslie)
The nurses are very organized about follow-ups, and are 100% available via email. I never had to wait more than an hour or so to get a response back to a question, and often it was within minutes.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
In contrast to the first clinic I went to, SIRM never felt like a factory. There were never more than a couple women at a time in the waiting room, I never waited more than 10 minutes during a visit, and no one ever raised their voice at anyone (again, in contrast to my first clinic). The doctors do their own monitoring visits, so the only thing support staff do is blood. It's all very very calm and professional. Secondly, SIRM is very good with technology. Both the Dr and the nurses are available by email, and they send very clear instructions laid out by day on the calendar. They are also very fast on their insurance submittals.
Monitoring (each visit) $525 Egg retrieval $2400 ICSI $2400 PICSI $1000 Embryo culture $1500 Extended culture $1500 PGD biopsy $500 per embryo Cryo $1000 Storage $80 FET - ? haven't seen the bill yet
I don't recall what Dr. T had to say about multiple transfer - I was never going to do more than single embryo transfer and it was never an issue since I only had one normal embryo post-PGS
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
There was just one visit when I was supposed to have two sets of tests and I ended up having to go back the next day because they hadn't taken blood for the 2nd test. That said, they make the time work for me and clearly told me it was their mistake.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Strengths [of Sher]: Scheduled appointments (no early morning blood draws). Front desk staff was efficient. Care coordinator is amazing! Weaknesses: Not all doctors are created equal. Not all doctors will be as great as yours. (Pray your Doctor shows up on the day of your procedure).... My coordinator was Jacqueline. All of the support staff are helpful and nice. Jacqueline responded to me immediately. She had a big smile every time I saw her. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about her.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
At our initial meeting, I thought Dr. Dicken was incredible (she still is). She was knowledgeable with just the right amount of empathy and professionalism. We went into detail about my concerns. On the day that we met, I got a surprise positive pregnancy test. I emailed Dr. Dicken and asked if I could use the progesterone that she had prescribed for my upcoming IUI. She responded quickly and gave me the go-ahead to use the progesterone. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Once my first period showed, I went back to SIRM for the IUI. Dr. Dicken was available for the first ultrasound. She explained that she would be out of office over the weekend and that I would see another doctor. Dr. O’Shaughnessy was neither warm nor patient centered. She gave me minimal information during the ultrasound. It felt very impersonal. Still, I figured its only one appointment. I was called that afternoon and told to trigger the next day and come in 2 days after. In that time, I emailed Dr. Dicken about my positive OPK. She assured me that I wasn't ovulating yet. I apologized profusely for constantly emailing her. I was having a tough time. She never responded to my email. Okay. I figured I was going to be seeing her anyway. On the morning of the IUI, I was told that the Doctor was with someone else and would be with me soon. I was taken to a room to undress. I was very surprised to see Dr. O’Shaughnessy walk in. I was baffled. One of the reasons I chose SIRM was the fact that they did things differently. Now, I understand that emergencies happen. What was confusing to me was why no one could let me know that my Doctor was not available. Dr. O’Shaughnessy was very rough. This was my third and most painful IUI ever. She didn't even say what she was doing. She just rammed the speculum and catheter inside of me. She gave me no instruction (even about the progesterone). Didn't tell me how long to lay down for either. I didn't even hear a good luck. I waited 20 minutes, dressed and left quietly. Downstairs in the car, I cried my eyes out. I guess my doctor was busy with another procedure. I just felt like my procedure was not important. She did the old bait and switch on me and I did not appreciate it. The whole "patient centered" thing is nonsense. I don't think I'll even bother going in for beta.
Communication is key. Ask questions and don't let yourself be treated like cattle. Being told that she would be unavailable would have allowed me to be informed and aware of the changes. That is important to women dealing with infertility as we already have little control over most things.
At first, everything was perfect. The structure of visits was totally different than the factories I was used to going to. Unfortunately, it ended up being like most places I have been to. Impersonal and another number.
150 of Menopur. Trigger shot of Ovidrel. Only one follicle. In the two week wait.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Jacqueline Piccardo)
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Strengths: Scheduled appointments (no early morning blood draws). Front desk staff was efficient. Care coordinator is amazing! Weaknesses: Not all doctors are created equal. Not all doctors will be as great as yours. (Pray your Doctor shows up on the day of your procedure) Also, they need better monitoring equipment (you can not see what they see on ultrasound. In other clinics, there is a tv on the wall so you can view it too. No justified system where you can find your bloodwork results (you have to ask your coordinator to give you details).
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
My Doctor did not show up to my procedure. Instead, another doctor who did not give me pertinent information and had a terrible bed side manner.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

The nurses and front desk [Sher Fertility NY] were a welcome sight durning such an emotional time. They understood the challenges of fertility and managing it with everyday life a family.... From the moment I walked in the door I was treated with compassion. The nurses knew my name, which made it feel like a comfortable place to be. My doctor was available, direct, but would consoul me when I needed it. I truly have wonderful memories from my experience, I can not think of any weaknesses.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Dicken is an amazing doctor. She was constantly present wether it was during a visit, over the phone and through email. She answered every question clearly and non-judgmental can, even if it was a question that I had asked a ton of times before. I felt she truly understood what U was going through not only medically and emotionally and handle it in a delicate manner but still direct and professionally. When I found out I was pregnant she was just as excited for me. I thought that was amazing because she sees so many people. But I felt I was the only one.
No matter what you are thinking or feeling tell Dr. Dicken. She is understanding and kind. Dr. Dicken wants the same outcome as you and she truly cares.
from the moment I walked in to Dr.Dickens office I was treated with such kindness. She was direct, but had a nice way of speaking to me. I left her office hopeful.
We used clomid to help with the folicals.
The nurses and front desk were a welcome sight durning such an emotional time. They understood the challenges of fertility and managing it with everyday life a family.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I would only have to pay our copay and for the shots, which were around $300. We also had to pay for some tests.

2014 - 2016, Successful
I had ‘unexplained’ infertility and nothing seemed to be working, despite seemingly endless tests and attempts. After some time under his care Dr. T [Tortoriello] believed I had silent endometriosis and other immunological issues. ... He dealt gracefully and calmly with my sometimes unpleasant and frustrated attitude. His responsiveness to emails was extremely valuable to me, as I often emailed him frantically about my case.
I really appreciated that this clinic [Sher Fertility of New York] was small and it felt intimate. The nurses were great and the other doctors I saw were so wonderful and compassionate, even though I wasn't their patient. The most difficult part was dealing with billing. It's been 3 years since I've been at the practice so maybe this has changed but I had a lot of hours spent trying to track down invoices and bill, etc.
I found Dr. T after being dissatisfied with the care at another practice. I did a lot of research and chose to move to Sher so I could be treated by Dr. T. This was the best decision I made as he is truly one of a kind. I had ‘unexplained’ infertility and nothing seemed to be working, despite seemingly endless tests and attempts. After some time under his care Dr. T believed I had silent endometriosis and other immunological issues. He referred me to a specialist who was able to remove my endometriosis surgically and he worked with that practice to continue my treatment until he delivered the amazing news that I was finally pregnant!! Throughout my time there, Dr. T always remained positive and always approached us with new ideas on how to change course (we requested this). He dealt gracefully and calmly with my sometimes unpleasant and frustrated attitude. His responsiveness to emails was extremely valuable to me, as I often emailed him frantically about my case. 10 months after I had my daughter I found out I was pregnant again (naturally!) and my OBGYN was concerned that my hormone levels were very low, he was certain it was a bad pregnancy. I quickly emailed Dr. T, whom I hadn’t spoken to in over a year and asked his opinion. He was, as always, honest but hopeful. That pregnancy ended in a perfectly healthy baby. I will always be thankful to him for finally diagnosing my issue and providing a solution, and ultimately being responsible for the two beauties that are now in our lives! I cannot forget to also acknowledge the nurses and other doctors in the practice who were all so wonderful as well. This is truly a special practice.
I think all patients of all doctors should always advocate for themselves. Come to the appointment as informed as possible, think about what questions you want to ask beforehand.
The practice seemed small and more intimate. You would see maybe 2 or 3 patients in the waiting room. At another practice I had been to there were more than 50 patients in the waiting room each time I went, a different doctor would see me every time and had no clue what my history was. Dr. T always met with me for a discussion whenever I requested, always responded to my emails within an hour and most importantly remembered who I was when I came into his office.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I really appreciated that this clinic was small and it felt intimate. The nurses were great and the other doctors I saw were so wonderful and compassionate, even though I wasn't their patient. The most difficult part was dealing with billing. It's been 3 years since I've been at the practice so maybe this has changed but I had a lot of hours spent trying to track down invoices and bill, etc.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

She [Dr. Cary Dicken] was very honest in predicting our chances and I had the impression she tried everything to enhance our chances to get pregnant. She even gave us some extra medication for free when ours ran out and she felt like I need another injection before egg retrieval. She always made me feel welcome, understood and secure. I loved having her as my doctor in this critical, emotional challenging time.
I was on a "cheaper" low-stimulation plan which SHER institute doesn't offer anymore...the girls at the reception desk are not so well trained. For example, I was denied an appointment because the girl didn't know the difference between starting a cycle and doing some pre-testing. I had to contact the doctor directly who sorted things out very quickly... The doctors working there are all at the top of their field and have great bedside manners. The clinic treats you like a human being. You see one doctor all the time. The rooms are friendly and clean.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Cary Dicken is very understanding and top-notch in her field. We did one round of IVF with my own eggs with her and we got pregnant immediately. Before, we did an IUI with her which didn't result in a pregnancy. She advised us to go do IVF to increase our chances which we did and ended up with a beautiful baby boy. I saw Dr. Dicken every visit (apart from the egg retrieval which was on a weekend with another great doctor on duty). She always made me feel good and optimistic about the whole process. I especially liked that she also answers emails quickly and detailed. Dr. Dicken explains things very easily which was important since I am not a native speaker. I felt that she did her best in giving us the best chance to conceive. What I like most about her is her warm, caring personality. I would recommend her to anybody who wants to do IVF.
Just rest assured hat you are in good hands with her and that she will do the best to get you pregnant.
Dr. Dicken has wonderful bedside manners. She answered all our questions in great detail. She even replied fast to emails. She was very honest in predicting our chances and I had the impression she tried everything to enhance our chances to get pregnant. She even gave us some extra medication for free when ours ran out and she felt like I need another injection before egg retrieval. She always made me feel welcome, understood and secure. I loved having her as my doctor in this critical, emotional challenging time.
I was on a low stimulation plan since my ovarian reserve was still good for my age (38 at the time of treatment). I was a case of unexplained infertility so I didn't have any known issues apart from being Vitamin D insufficient which Dr. Dicken found out in preliminary tests. I also did a genetic test as recommended by Dr. Dicken. The test revealed that I have a MTFHR Mutation, so Dr. Dicken prescribed me extra Folate. Overall, I didn't encounter any problems with the medication. I felt that her treatment plan was excellent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa who was my nurse coordinator did a good job explaining how to do all the injections and kept me updated about the next steps in the procedure. She was a little bit reserved and could have been a little bit more compassionate. We communicated a lot by email and she always replied in a timely manner. There was another nurse whom I particularly grew fond of. Her name is Jacqueline. She was so welcoming and nice. She really helped me go through the whole process.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
SHER institute is a great clinic to do your IVF with. The doctors working there are all at the top of their field and have great bedside manners. The clinic treats you like a human being. You see one doctor all the time. The rooms are friendly and clean. The downside, they are very pricey, when you have to pay out of your own pocket. They don't offer any grants or discounts for people who don't make so much money like other clinics do. The accounting department is horrible. They gave us a lot of stress with wrong invoices. For example, they charged us for egg freezing while we didn't have anything to freeze. This was not only unprofessional, it was also very insensitive because we would have loved to have more embryos to try for a second child. Also, the girls at the reception desk are not so well trained. For example, I was denied an appointment because the girl didn't know the difference between starting a cycle and doing some pre-testing. I had to contact the doctor directly who sorted things out very quickly.
The monitoring appointments fit well into my schedule and once I was there, the wait times weren't long. It was a pretty smooth process.
I don't remember the exact amounts anymore. I was on a "cheaper" low-stimulation plan which SHER institute doesn't offer anymore.
We only had two embryos worth transferring. Given my age Dr. Dicken would have let us decide if two or three embryos were going to be transferred if we had enough.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I was denied an appointment for testing on my third day of my period because the nurse claimed that the Doctor doesn't accept new cycles anymore this month. I couldn't make her understand that I am not starting a cycle I just wanted to come in for a test which was discussed with the Doctor. I had to contact the Doctor and in the end did the test one month later.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. Dicken was empathetic and gentle in the way that she communicated with me during a very emotional IVF cycle. When asked questions (in-person/via email) she was patient and responded in "laymen" terms...Dr. Dicken missed some red flags in my blood results which led to me experiencing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). This syndrome is painful and caused my IVF cycle to be delayed. Subsequently, a frozen IVF cycle rather than a fresh transfer was the only recourse for that cycle...Since I have a good ovarian reserve the Antagonist protocol was used.
WEAKNESS [at Sher Fertility]: *the outcome for IVF retrieval and IVF transfer is sent via email. If your results are good, great! However, if it is not reading that via email could be traumatizing. *several instances were I was not informed that a retrieval or transfer would be performed by another doctor until I arrived. *If you have a billing issue be prepared for a long wait before your issue is addressed and/or resolved...Since I have a good ovarian reserve the Antagonist protocol was used...From very minor to big mistakes were made during my cycle. I.E., Administering medication too earlier, not ordering a specific test day of transfer...STRENGTHS: *sono & blood monitoring appointments are on time, *the waiting room is NOT crowded. *medical staff returns emails fairly quickly *old "matrixed" billing system was updated making medical expenses a lot easier to understand.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Do research so you better understand your hormone levels and how that impacts your IVF cycle.
Since I have a good ovarian reserve the Antagonist protocol was used.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
STRENGTHS: *sono & blood monitoring appointments are on time, *the waiting room is NOT crowded. *medical staff returns emails fairly quickly *old "matrixed" billing system was updated making medical expenses a lot easier to understand. WEAKNESS: *the outcome for IVF retrieval and IVF transfer is sent via email. If your results are good, great! However, if it is not reading that via email could be traumatizing. *several instances were I was not informed that a retrieval or transfer would be performed by another doctor until I arrived. *If you have a billing issue be prepared for a long wait before your issue is addressed and/or resolved.
Two embryos were transferred each of the two IVF cycles. My age was a factor.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

From our first consultation, Dr. Dicken really made an effort to get to know us. She was always available to answer any questions over email, and her tone was always warm and professional. Even when she had bad news to deliver, Dr. Dicken was straightforward but still encouraging...For my IUI cycle, I saw Dr. Dicken for all monitoring appointments. She prescribed me Clomid, and then Ovidrel...Dr. Dicken is very knowledgeable, and thoroughly explains every step of the process.
her has a nice office space, conveniently located in midtown. We never had to wait for an appointment! They opened at 8:00, which allowed me to come in for monitoring before work. They are able to check what your insurance covers before you start treatment, and are organized with billing...The nurses were friendly and professional, and provided great care...She [Dr. Dicken] was always available to answer any questions over email, and her tone was always warm and professional.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Dicken is very knowledgeable, and thoroughly explains every step of the process. From our first meeting, I trusted her expertise and knew I was in capable hands. She helps you decide what is best for you as a couple and doesn't force anything on you. Moreover, Dr. Dicken is kind and friendly, which made the whole process less intimidating. I cannot recommend her highly enough!
Don't be shy to ask questions! Dr. Dicken is great at breaking down complicated test results and procedures, and is always accessible over email.
From our first consultation, Dr. Dicken really made an effort to get to know us. She was always available to answer any questions over email, and her tone was always warm and professional. Even when she had bad news to deliver, Dr. Dicken was straightforward but still encouraging. Believing that she really cares for her patients helped me remain optimistic throughout the process.
For my IUI cycle, I saw Dr. Dicken for all monitoring appointments. She prescribed me Clomid, and then Ovidrel. My husband's counts had been all over the place, and the sample for the IUI wasn't ideal, but it was successful! Dr. Dicken timed it perfectly, and it resulted in a healthy full-term pregnancy.
The nurses were friendly and professional, and provided great care.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Sher has a nice office space, conveniently located in midtown. We never had to wait for an appointment! They opened at 8:00, which allowed me to come in for monitoring before work. They are able to check what your insurance covers before you start treatment, and are organized with billing.
I have GHI, and my treatment was covered. Each visit did have a $50 copay.
We did not do IVF, but Dr. Dicken carefully monitored my follicles before IUI, so as not to risk multiple pregnancies.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

It is small and more of a 'boutique' clinic. Individual appointment times for monitoring are a huge plus. The biggest weakness is that it is extremely expensive, much more than competing clinics...For the most part, they [nurses at Sher Fertility of New York] were very good. However, some were certainly better than others. Overall, they were all good st the care they delivered and organization...Monitoring was made by individual appointments rather than a giant cattle call. In addition, I was able to personally communicate with my doctor through email whenever I needed.
After initially being treated at Cornell for 4 failed cycles, I switched to Dr. T after my original doctor suggested using a surrogate. Although I should have been a very easy case (blocked tubes and a history of prior successful pregnancies, I was diagnosed with implantation failure. Dr. Tortoriello did a full and thorough work up with different testing and was willing and able to think outside of the box. This was EXACTLY what I needed. We transferred my last 3 frozen embryos - the ones that had been picked over each prior transfer - and it finally worked. I only kick myself for not going to him sooner. Dr. T is kind, compassionate to a point but also realistic. During our consultations, he didn't sugar coat things and gives you the honest facts. This was actually a little hard for me as a patient since I prefer a hand holder and a little more optimism. But he wholeheartedly wants it to work for his patients without making promises. During procedures and monitoring, he was upbeat and reassuring. I will 1000% be going back to him again. When everyone had given up on me, he made it happen.
Do your research beforehand. He is very willing to try new things.
We did a natural, frozen embryo cycle. He had me on 2 weeks of antibiotics during the first part of my cycle since I had been questioning infection. In addition, 5mg of prednisone and Foltanx. After the transfer, I supplemented with PIO and estrogen.
For the most part, they were very good. However, some were certainly better than others. Overall, they were all good st the care they delivered and organization.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I don't remember the exact breakdown since I still had insurance coverage at that time. However, I know it is an extremely expensive clinic.
He based my transfer on my individual history (many prior failed transfers) and the grading of my embryos which I greatly appreciated. I think this is his approach with all his patients.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. T [Tortoriello] meticulously managed my case/care. While my AMH and FSH numbers were low-normal, i responded as if my ovarian health was much worse off. During my first two attempts, I had shown signs of ovulating through my meds. Instead of Dr T pushing through, he advised we cancel, convert to an IUI and revise our strategy. He monitored me every single day to avoid this happening our 3rd time...he is kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and extremely accessible. He would speak to us like we were family, not strangers at his practice. Dr. T would respond to my emails on weekends, nights, during his PTO. He truly wants what's best for his patients.
Monitoring hours can be a little inconvenient, as they start at 8.45am. Besides that, I don't have many complaints about SHER as a whole. The nurses and front desk were kind and compassionate...I actually communicated frequently with Dr Tortoriello vs the nurse, which was a huge draw for me vs other larger clinics... He [Dr. Tortoriello] would speak to us like we were family, not strangers at his practice. Dr. T would respond to my emails on weekends, nights, during his PTO. He truly wants what's best for his patients.
Dr. T meticulously managed my case/care. While my AMH and FSH numbers were low-normal, i responded as if my ovarian health was much worse off. During my first two attempts, I had shown signs of ovulating through my meds. Instead of Dr T pushing through, he advised we cancel, convert to an IUI and revise our strategy. He monitored me every single day to avoid this happening our 3rd time. During our 3rd attempt, we did slow stimming and I had one embryo. This turned out to be my healthy and adorable daughter. We're planning to go back within the year to give her a sibling. If you have any doubts regarding your RE, go to dr. T!!! He is amazing.
Ask questions for your comfort, but trust him completely. He is a true expert, as well as ethical and fair.
Where do I start with Dr. T...he is kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and extremely accessible. He would speak to us like we were family, not strangers at his practice. Dr. T would respond to my emails on weekends, nights, during his PTO. He truly wants what's best for his patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Leslie Mika Dychiao)
I actually communicated frequently with Dr T vs the nurse, which was a huge draw for me vs other larger clinics.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Luckily we had insurance coverage so I'm not sure about OOP cycle costs.
I believe Dr. T preferred single transfer to avoid multiples. I didn't have that option so it wasn't an issue for us.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. Dicken took the time to discuss the issues we were having with recurrent miscarriages thoroughly with both me and my husband. She was kind and warm, but also gave us space to make decisions on our own. She really seems to understand how to support her patients while still giving them the space to deal with an intensely private matter...Dr. Dicken started treatment by meeting with my husband and I for a long period of time, covering every detail of our history. She then laid out a course of potential next steps and treatment, explaining the level of invasiveness of each step. She recommended starting with the least invasive course to gather information and then proceeding from there...
The [Sher -Manh] clinic is great - easy to get an appointment, little waiting time, friendly staff. The office is being renovated and the newer floors are beautiful - older floors are fine but a little dark...The staff was very informed and helpful. They were able and willing to answer questions, and consulted the doctor and got back to me in a timely manner whenever I had concerns...
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Dicken started treatment by meeting with my husband and I for a long period of time, covering every detail of our history. She then laid out a course of potential next steps and treatment, explaining the level of invasiveness of each step. She recommended starting with the least invasive course to gather information and then proceeding from there. She explained the details and purpose of each test and treatment in detail. We were experiencing recurrent miscarriages and she recommended genetic testing for both parents, and a round of Clomid based on our discussion of the timing of my cycles, in an attempt to control the timing of ovulation and improve egg quality. She discovered a few genetic mutations on my genetic test that can affect folic acid levels and can contribute to clotting, resulting in pregnancy loss. She prescribed medications to address the issue and I become pregnant with my son the next cycle abd delivered a healthy baby in September 2016.
Come prepared with as much information as you can - dates, cycle tracking, anecdotal evidence of how you have felt and reacted while trying to get pregnant or during other treatments. Dr. Dicken will gather as much information as possible and factor it into her recommendation. I was impressed that she looked at the length of my cycles, the timing of ovulation according to ovulation strips, the timing of my miscarriages, and noticed a pattern of Kate ovulation. I was glad I had tracked this information. She us extremely thorough.
Letrozole to stimulate earlier ovulation, before degradation of egg begins. Aspirin during conception and blood thinners after conception to prevent clots, after genetic testing revealed predisposition to clotting. High dose folic acid after genetic testing revealed mutation affecting folate levels. High dose omega 3 after natural killer assay was slightly elevated.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
the clinic is great - easy to get an appointment, little waiting time, friendly staff. The office is being renovated and the newer floors are beautiful - older floors are fine but a little dark.
I don't remember exact costs but I had good health coverage for these issues. I do recall that Dr Dicken was careful to warn about costs that might not be covered by insurance. The clinic also offers a financial counselor to meet with you at the beginning of treatment, but because my treatments were minimal and my health coverage was good we didn't have such a meeting.

2014 - 2016, Successful
The SIRM Institute has many strengths, including it's "non factory-like" feel, easy scheduling of appointments, wide variety of ways to communicate with patients, and amazing doctors. Sometimes I had experiences with incorrect billing and needed to really stay on top of all bills, insurance claims, and paperwork.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I saw Dr. Wang after being treated (unsuccessfully) by another doctor at a different clinic. I was looking for a fresh perspective on my case and the possibility of doing additional testing to uncover potential issues (I had endometriosis and a blocked tube). I only wish I had gone sooner to Dr. Wang! He is an incredible listener and has a way of explaining information to patients that is clear, concise, and makes sense. He has the ability to think outside the box and is willing to try things and always work with the patient. His communication is top notch - always responding to patient concerns or questions quickly and thoroughly. I was never made to feel like a question was a stupid one or a bother. He was able to suggest additional tests that did confirm I needed some extra treatments around immunological issues and uterine receptivity issues. He always sees patients promptly and gives them 100% of his attention. Words really can't describe how great Dr. Wang is.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Make an appointment as soon as possible - don't delay.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Wang's personable bedside manner always made me feel like I was being treated like a real human. He is caring and compassionate. He always remembered the details of my case and I never felt like "just a chart".
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Wang used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
I used the Gonal-F/Menopur protocol with Ganirelix. My protocol was always tailored and adjusted for each cycle based on my needs and response. An endometrial function test revealed I would benefit from 3 months of Lupron treatment. I then required IVIG (when Intralipid treatment did not work), Prednisone, and other immune related drugs. After adjusting this protocol, I was able to finally become pregnant.
I saw many different nurses but all were competent and knowledgeable. Some were more helpful and kind than others.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I used insurance to cover egg retrievals, frozen transfers, office visits, monitoring, and blood work. After exhausting insurance benefits, I paid out of pocket for 1 fresh IVF cycle. The cost for the fresh cycle was very reasonable compared to costs of other clinics.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. O was always direct, yet empathetic in explaining any results. She conveys a familial-like vibe - sort of like your favorite Aunt. She remained positive despite my first negative pregnancy test, and was encouraging in our next cycle...Standard hormone injections for egg retrieval, Lupron treatment for slightly abnormal lining, and cleaning out of uterine fibroids. The Lupron treatment normalized my lining to produce a successful pregnancy.
My experience with SHER- NY was amazing. EVERYONE, from nurses to receptionists are welcoming and sensitive to your needs. Dr. O was always readily available via email, even responding on weekends and vacations. The ONLY time another doctor at the practice treated me, Dr. O called me just before the appointment to go over everything 1 more time. She is wonderful.
How was your experience with Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Trust her. It's an emotional process- but try not to be too emotional. See it as a goal to be met and take care of business. Follow her orders and pray for the best!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the protocols Althea O'Shaughnessy used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Annie)
Excellent nursing staff. I had many of them work with me on various occasions and they were all amazing!
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic itself is wonderfully laid out. Receptionists and financial planner are great! Very patient, taking time to answer any questions. The ONLY criticism I could possibly think of would be that you cannot really make a set appointment time in advance. You call and request your day and preferred time, then they call you to confirm the day before. Mostly though, the time they set is on or close to your preferred time. Also- I personally would prefer later appointment times, but they are not available beyond about 2-3pm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I know they offered package deals for multiple cycles, but cannot remember how much they cost. I do know that they accepted our health insurance which meant we were only responsible for 10-20% of total cost, and some uncovered things (genetic screening, additional testing, prescription copays etc)
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Thank goodness it wasn't a big deal at all- and it may not have even been SHERs fault because it involved sending bloodwork to another testing facility and company. My genetic screening bloodwork seemed to have been mixed up with my husbands, deeming the samples ineligible for testing and when Dr. O called- she explained that she was VERY upset with the company and had just gotten off the phone with them. She asked how soon we could come in for redrawing blood and explained the company would NOT charge us for the testing.
Althea O'Shaughnessy
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
I got the same egg number but made 2 blastocytes. He [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] implanted both on day 5 and one made my daughter!...He spent over an hour at our first consult and he went over all my old records thoroughly and there was a lot! He didn't discourage me even though I was told I was "too old" and had "old eggs" by other doctors so he gave me hope. He saw me for EVERY visit !! he did all his own sonograms and the retrieval and transfer. This was night and day compared to my other centers where I saw my main doctor once or twice the whole time.
I got the same egg number but made 2 blastocytes. He [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] implanted both on day 5 and one made my daughter!...she [nurse at Sher Fertility of New York] was very warm and funny and I must have emailed her about twice a day for a month! She never complained and always was up beat...new offices. Clean and bright. Great doctor and nurse. Lab must be great too as I made the best embryos I ever made. Need better cookies in the waiting room though..the biscotti has to go!
He is just a very kind man who cares. You can tell. He never rushed me and answered my emails, sometimes late at night, all the time. He was very realistic without dashing my dreams and prayers. He is incredibly busy but somehow always reached out to me to see how I was doing. Love that man.
See him first...not after schlepping through 2 factory centers first!!!
He used estrogen patches and then stimulation medication. Lower dosages than before. Felt much less bloaty. He triggered me a bit later I think. I got the same egg number but made 2 blastocytes. He implanted both on day 5 and one made my daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Lesly)
she was very warm and funny and I must have emailed her about twice a day for a month! She never complained and always was up beat.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Great. new offices. Clean and bright. Great doctor and nurse. Lab must be great too as I made the best embryos I ever made. Need better cookies in the waiting room though..the biscotti has to go!
Not much....my insurance covers me for 3 cycles.
He offered to implant one, but I wanted both, and he said it was all right as I was nearly 40.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Dr Wang used the estrogen priming with Lupron about a week before my cycle started. When my cycle started in Day three we continued on with Lupron x2 daily, Follistim at 225, HGH and then added a low dose HGH mid way through. It was a long stunning cycle but we were able to retrieve 6, fertilize 4, and then transfer 3 which has been my best results to date.... He always answered every question with honesty, he never gave us false hopes, but he also didn't beat us down with age related facts, as he knew , we already knew them.
[Sher Fertility of New York is] Very clean, very bright, very well staffed. Easy to get to in mid town NY. The only drawback is the changed their prices and they heavily increased the costs of all treatments. Sometimes it's takes a few days for the financial department to get back to you.... Dr.Wang doesnt only do his job with excellent technical skills, but professionalism, integrity and compassion. These qualities set him apart, because it is not just his medical skills that make him a great doctor, it's just who he is.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Wang was truly an excellent doctor who made us feel at home; even in the SIRM office. He always answered every question with honesty, he never gave us false hopes, but he also didn't beat us down with age related facts, as he knew , we already knew them. He was a realist and I appreactaed that. He gets back to emails quickly, and doesn't miss a beat as far as leaving any stone unturned. Our insurance doesn't cover IVf treatments, so unfortunately we were priced out of SIRM, but even now, I am not his patient yet he still responds and answers my questions, faster and with more definition then my current doctor.
Ask lots of questions- he will answer them all! And take his advice- he is so knowledgeable.
Dr.Wang is so down to earth. He gives you real expectations, but with a smile and a sincere wish to help you achieve your dream of being a parent. Many Drs, especially REs, get stuck in Doctor mode. They don't take the time to exchange a real human interaction with their patients. They wear their lab coats and talk about your fertility as if there were talking about changing the carborator on your car. For me, as I imagine for many women, it's very traumatic not being able to conceive, on so many levels. Very soon after I got a BFN with Dr. Wang- he not only called me personally, but he sent an email- empathizing with our loss, and giving us some hope for next cycle. It was the most sincere letter I had ever gotten from anyone in the healthcare business- and after that loss, it ever so slightly took some of the bitterness out of our loss. I imagine this has to be one of the hardest professions to be in as you are dealing with very challenging odds, and many setbacks. Dr.Wang doesnt only do his job with excellent technical skills, but professionalism, integrity and compassion. These qualities set him apart, because it is not just his medical skills that make him a great doctor, it's just who he is.
Very friendly. Always willing to help. Sometimes there were different nurses assigned to me, but that didn't really make much of a difference.
I am not sure the exact costs. But I believe the IVF was about $16,000-17,000
Describe Jeffrey Wang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
No, I have DOR and am now 44, so I understand transferring a few embryos gives me better odds.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Dicken was thorough and effective in identifying some problems I had with tubal blockage and low egg reserve....Dr. Dicken had the patience to answer my MILLION questions and gave me honest reassurance when I felt overwhelmed and afraid...She took me step by step through the process of IUI then IVF until I had my baby...The first IVF I think was rushed because she was trying to get it done before she herself left to have a baby. But the second round went perfectly. Dr. Dicken was patient with my constant questions and responded to a million emails.
The nursing staff [at Sher Fertility of NY] was very personal and compassionate. Also, they were very well informed and reassuring... I wish the hours went into the evening. Juggling work and treatment was very difficult. Also, I wish the financing staff were more readily available...Much of my treatment was covered by insurance but about a quarter of it was by me. Medications (and there were lots) was mostly covered, but I'm sure I spent a few thousand dollars on medication and treatment. Also, I have paid for egg freezing.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Dicken was thorough and effective in identifying some problems I had with tubal blockage and low egg reserve. She also tested my husband's doer for amount and quality which were fine. She took me step by step through the process of IUI then IVF until I had my baby. I had a hysterioscopy first to clear my tubes. Then I started hormones and had to undergo three IUI. Dr. Dicken explained that IVF was more effective but I needed IUI's done before my insurance would cover IVF. She was correct. The second IVF resulted in a pregnancy. That IVF I didn't even need injections, just medications. The first IVF I think was rushed because she was trying to get it done before she herself left to have a baby. But the second round went perfectly. Dr. Dicken was patient with my constant questions and responded to a million emails.
Have your health records ready to go, like genetic and medical history.
I had a low egg reserve so a lot of my treatment was smoking up the eggs I had. She measured my hormone levels and gave me hormones in response.
The nursing staff was very personal and compassionate. Also, they were very well informed and reassuring.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clothes mix was well run. I wish the hours went into the evening. Juggling work and treatment was very difficult. Also, I wish the financing staff were more readily available.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Dr. Dicken is in a league of her own. Her attitude and knowledge made for an excellent IVF experience. My wife and I were not only blessed with a positive outcome, but also felt totally cared for along the way. After quite a bit of fertility research, we had an initial meeting with Dr. Dicken to discuss our options. We quickly knew she was the best doctor and Sher the right practice to help us expand our family. The IVF process can seem quite overwhelming. Dr. Dicken and the wonderful staff at Sher made sure we had all appointments, calendars, RX’s, and most importantly knowledge along the way. The office is run like a well-oiled machine- rarely a wait, efficient and caring nurses, insurance know-how, and all services onsite. Another couple friend worked with Dr. Dicken/Sher as well; they had the same excellent results and glowing feedback. We enthusiastically recommend Dr. Dicken and Sher to anyone in need of their expertise.
Don't have any negative comments. Love that the practice [Sher Institute] has an office manager who researched our insurance coverage, then met with us to review costs ahead of time... this is a HUGE benefit. Scheduling was easy and appointments on time. We've had some invoice needs after our care, and appreciate how quickly we get responses and information via phone or email.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
She is an excellent physician with a great staff. Take notes during an initial appointment but know she is available to answer any questions as you go along
We used my eggs and my wife carried. Neither of us had any known fertility issues. Due to the way we wanted to have our child, IVF was the clear path. Dr. Dicken gave us options of a fresh transfer or a 5 day embryo, we chose the latter. Each process was clearly explained and we made the decision based on our preferred timeline. Felt 100% confident and very well educated
They were the perfect compliment to Dr. Dicken's expertise. Warm, caring, quite proficient... we left feeling like family and always knew we were working with intelligent professionals too.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Don't have any negative comments. Love that the practice has an office manager who researched our insurance coverage, then met with us to review costs ahead of time... this is a HUGE benefit. Scheduling was easy and appointments on time. We've had some invoice needs after our care, and appreciate how quickly we get responses and information via phone or email.
I don't recall exactly because we have insurance and were near our policy out of pocket max. Do remember thinking costs were very reasonable, inline with other practices researched, but with better care.
2014 - 2016, Successful
Doctor Tortoriello is caring, knowledgeable and professional. He is always available to his patients, even when he is not in his office. We again ALWAYS received an answer within 5 minutes. He run tests, gave us hope and came up with a plan. After couple additional tests we were diagnosed with thyroid problems, endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count. We also had prolactin level problems and high alfa cells counts. We did not succeed with the first approach, but it gave doctor enough information to optimize and individualize approach. Right now, it is middle of the night when we are writing it, and we are not sleeping because we have a small miracle that is crying by our side since she is hungry...
TRUST HIM
Our dream came true thanks to Dr. Drew Tortoriello Everything began four years ago when we decided to start family. We tried to get pregnant for year with no luck met. That time I went to see my ob/gyn who sent us for some tests. We were confused, sad and depressed. She told us that IVF is our only option. So we went to clinic that was closest to our hometown. Doctors explained us what should we expect, but after failed IUI, IVF cycles and one miscarriage we were disappointed. We did not know what to do next, stay with clinic that follow protocol and won't make any changes or find someone else who can help us. At that time, I met a friend who was doctor’s T. patient and who got pregnant after first cycle of IVF in her 40s. So we called dr. T. office to make apt. and it was best decision of our live. Doctor Tortoriello is caring, knowledgeable and professional. He is always available to his patients, even when he is not in his office. We again ALWAYS received an answer within 5 minutes. He run tests, gave us hope and came up with a plan. After couple additional tests we were diagnosed with thyroid problems, endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count. We also had prolactin level problems and high alfa cells counts. We did not succeed with the first approach, but it gave doctor enough information to optimize and individualize approach. Right now, it is middle of the night when we are writing it, and we are not sleeping because we have a small miracle that is crying by our side since she is hungry. We are happiest since this is something that wouldn't be possible without doctor T. What we want to say is beyond 5 stars, excellent service etc. He helped us made life dream come true, so make appointment with him and you will see by yourself. THANK YOU DR. TORTORIELLO and SHER INSTITUTE FOR OUR BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL AIMEE :)
TRUST HIM
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
All the doctors at Sher are pretty good, but she [Dr Cary dicken] has been our favourite. She is young enough to know all the new treatment and not be stuck in her ways, but also has a good amount of experience....She is an extremely compassionate and competent doctor. Well informed and communicates clearly with her patients - and maybe most importantly listens to the patients and reassures them.
[Sher Fertility of New York] Weaknesses: Care coordination from cycle to cycle and payment procedures. Strengths: staff...10-15,000 per cycle all included with meds, but they do a package upgrade so that it is cheaper if you do 2nd and 3rd cycle with them....All the doctors at Sher are pretty good, but she [Dr Cary Dicken] has been our favourite. She is young enough to know all the new treatment and not be stuck in her ways, but also has a good amount of experience.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
All the doctors at Sher are pretty good, but she has been our favourite. She is young enough to know all the new treatment and not be stuck in her ways, but also has a good amount of experience.
All the nurses know me and my case by name. Dr Dicken has a wonderful bed side manner and is very responsive to questions. She is very compassionate.
Difficult to answer. I have a specific genetic disorder so the protocol was pretty standard (sorry I can't remember all the meds) - I had to get pgs on any embryos created. We had a good protocol to begin with during cycle 1, it was disastrous during cycle 2, so we changed it and found one that worked which produced 1-2 good embryos each cycle - which is the best we could have hoped for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Jacqueline)
I think the only issue that I have with the clinic is that my care coordinator changes ...and I'm never quite sure who it is. However all the nurses are lovely and competent - Jacqueline, cindy, Melissa, bouchra, etc. This only became an issue when it came to calendars and medications. I would have liked to understand why medication (and dosage) was changed each round, often it was changed back when I questioned it because the meds where in similar categories...but then why change it at all to begin with?
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
The doctor [Althea O'Shaughnessy] was very reachable and seemed very open in her communication. I cannot fully trust that the large number of tests that totaled more than $5,000 were only driven by necessity and not by the clinic's desires to make additional money ( tests were not covered by insurance). My cycle at the institute (which was my third IVF - and i"m a normal 35 yo with no known problems) did not succeed, so I have mixed feelings about the Dr., who seemed to be very convinced of success rates. Also, she put me on lupron depot which was probably the worst kind of medication for my body so far. I never was told of the side effects , and in my case happened to be quite bad.
I cannot fully trust that the large number of tests that totaled more than $5,000 were only driven by necessity and not by the clinic's desires to make additional money ( tests were not covered by insurance)....The clinic [Sher Fertility of New York] was very small, clean and quite well organized in terms of scheduling. I never had an issue with scheduling. The billing process however was very disorganized, they very convincingly sent me a bill for additional $2,000 and were pushy with immediate payments. Given that this is a private clinic, I did have the feeling that much of the treatments and tests were cost driven.
The doctor was very reachable and seemed very open in her communication. I cannot fully trust that the large number of tests that totaled more than $5,000 were only driven by necessity and not by the clinic's desires to make additional money ( tests were not covered by insurance). My cycle at the institute (which was my third IVF - and i"m a normal 35 yo with no known problems) did not succeed, so I have mixed feelings about the Dr., who seemed to be very convinced of success rates. Also, she put me on lupron depot which was probably the worst kind of medication for my body so far. I never was told of the side effects , and in my case happened to be quite bad.
Ask as many questions as possible and fully understand what you are actually being tested for - what the purpose is and how the results are being interpreted.
The care was very personal, and the clinic was very careful. It did feel however that some of the tests were done as a matter of practice, and upon their receipt there was no diagnosis provided. Ultimately, I never understood the true value of the results of the test - Endometrial function test and NK cell test.
She ultimately gave me the same treatment for the IVF as the past doctors. She used a lupron protocol. However, we did a genetic test on the embyos so we had to continue with a frozen cycle. Because the endometrial function test showed some slight abnormatlities ( a test debated by many) - she put me on lupron depot. This was followed by an FET cycle - one embryo out of 5 tested was deemed good - and we transfered it. I was put on nightly injections of progesterone and delestrogen. Ultimately the cycle failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: annie choi)
The nurse was good, a bit overwhelmed at times, but ok. I had to remind her of medication that Dr. Oshaughessy suggested, and needed to make sure that she called in all the medication to the pharmacy - so I can't say she was very careful, but was helpful most of the time.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic was very small, clean and quite well organized in terms of scheduling. I never had an issue with scheduling. The billing process however was very disorganized, they very convincingly sent me a bill for additional $2,000 and were pushy with immediate payments. Given that this is a private clinic, I did have the feeling that much of the treatments and tests were cost driven.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled generally early in the morning, but everyone was put on a waitlist with desired times. Usually if i requested lets say 8:30, i would get that time. So the appointment process was quite easy to manage.
$11,000 (+/- a few hundred) - it was so expensive that I actually did a spreadhseet. Also i had insurance cover the IVF - this was only for tests, and FET.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I had issues with the nurse calling in medication to the pharmacy. I had to call back a few times, and send her an email detailing what the the decisions of our conversations were. It seemed difficult for her to make sure that medication was called in on time.
Althea O'Shaughnessy

2014 - 2015, Successful
We did pretty straight forward antagonist cycles, the difference for us was using autoimmune meds during our last transfer and transferring a larger number of day 2 embryos, rather than waiting to make blasts. I firmly believe we would not have been successful without this early transfer protocol which Dr. Wang carefully put together for us...the warmest, most compassionate doctor I’ve ever had for any treatment.
I only went to SIRM for Dr. Wang. I feel the clinic is pretty expensive when compared to other options. Dr. Wang was absolutely worth it, but I’m not certain I’d pay on that level for anyone else. The clinic has a great location and is clean and professional, nothing bad to say about the space or basic set-up...I loved the nursing staff...I think around 60k for four cycles not including genetic testing which added about 10k. However, I think rates have changed since we were there.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Wang worked so hard with us for over a year, to bring us our son. He is the kindest, smartest, most caring doctor. He is considerate and brilliant and always a step ahead managing any road blocks. He always went above and beyond to look out for us and always treated us with such extraordinary care. He found autoimmune issues no other doctor had found, and that made all the difference for us. I will always look back at our treatments with Dr.Wang with incredible gratitude.
See him now. Don’t wait!
Dr. Wang is the warmest, most compassionate doctor I’ve ever had for any treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I loved the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I can’t remember exactly, but I think around 60k for four cycles not including genetic testing which added about 10k. However, I think rates have changed since we were there.
We transferred a larger number untested embryos which led to success after failed single and double transfers of pgd tested embryos.

2015, Unsuccessful
I was not notified when on Day 5, 6 or 7 to see how many embryos had made it to freeze. When I called [Sher-Manh], I was dismissed and told it was too late in the day and everyone was gone. When Dr. Dicken finally reached out it was with a 2 sentence email - "you're embryos didn't make it. please contact the office to schedule your next cycle". It was heartbreaking to read and I couldn't believe anyone could think after $20,000+, the emotional and physical journey I'd been on, etc... that this kind of communication is acceptable to a vulnerable patient.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
My Dr had left the practice rather suddenly and I appreciated Dr Dicken taking over my care. We discussed treatment and she said she treated similarly to the Dr I had been seeing. I don't know that she could have done anything better medically, although perhaps if she had seen me as more of her patient and not someone who was out of state and just coming for retrieval - My issue with Dr Dicken was her bedside manner. She was unapproachable, unavailable and very cold. On the few occassions we did see her, she kept us waiting for hours, acted very nonchalantly, and didn't seem invested in me as her patient. On Day 5, no one called me with results, and when I called, I was told it was too late in the day to get news. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Anyone who has undergone IVF and is waiting for day 5 to learn about their embryos knows no call is unacceptable. That evening I received an email from Dr Dicken stating my embryos didn't survive. It was two sentences - with zero kindness or compassion. It was an awful way to learn the outcome. I refused to see Dr Dicken again.
Don't expect kindness or compassion.
I was an out of state patient and it was difficult to ask questions and receive answers. When we did travel to NY, Dr Dicken kept us waiting for hours and was very cold, unreceptive to questions. I felt like patient 1234 versus having the individualized care I've received with other doctors.
overworked. as an out of state patient it was difficult to communicate.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I had seen a different Dr at this clinic and was very satisfied. It's an older office which looks antiquated compared to some other clinics. Know as an out of state patient you might not get the same emotional care as other patients -
monitored out of state
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I was not notified when on Day 5, 6 or 7 to see how many embryos had made it to freeze. When I called, I was dismissed and told it was too late in the day and everyone was gone. When Dr. Dicken finally reached out it was with a 2 sentence email - "you're embryos didn't make it. please contact the office to schedule your next cycle". It was heartbreaking to read and I couldn't believe anyone could think after $20,000+, the emotional and physical journey I'd been on, etc... that this kind of communication is acceptable to a vulnerable patient.

2014 - 2015, Successful
After being a patient to many other REs, once I met Dr. Wang, I knew he was the RE I needed! We have our miracle son due to his fantastic work, incredible bedside manners, extreme knowledge of protocols and customizing treatments for his patient’s needs. Can’t say enough great things about Dr. Wang and his team! Extraordinary person with charismatic personality and fantastic mind! THANK YOU DR. Wang for making it happen for us after 8 years wait! WE LOVE YOU!!! Forever grateful!...
It is a charming little place [at Sher - Manh] where everybody knows you by name and you don't have to wait to be seen. It is in the heart of Manhattan so it is very easily accessible for all ladies coming from all over the world to find success. You will be treated in the best way possible by the entire staff!...Leslie has become a lifetime friend after being my nurse coordinator while I was cycling with Dr. Wang in 2014 and 2015. We still keep in touch...
How was your experience with Jeffrey Wang at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
"The best ever RE you can find on the East Coast! Not only in the state of NY, but for the entire East Coast! After being a patient to many other REs, once I met Dr. Wang, I knew he was the RE I needed! We have our miracle son due to his fantastic work, incredible bedside manners, extreme knowledge of protocols and customizing treatments for his patient’s needs. Can’t say enough great things about Dr. Wang and his team! Extraordinary person with charismatic personality and fantastic mind! THANK YOU DR. Wang for making it happen for us after 6 years wait! WE LOVE YOU!!! Forever grateful!”
Never give up and trust Dr. Wang completely!
"The best ever RE you can find on the East Coast! Not only in the state of NY, but for the entire East Coast! After being a patient to many other REs, once I met Dr. Wang, I knew he was the RE I needed! We have our miracle son due to his fantastic work, incredible bedside manners, extreme knowledge of protocols and customizing treatments for his patient’s needs. Can’t say enough great things about Dr. Wang and his team! Extraordinary person with charismatic personality and fantastic mind! THANK YOU DR. Wang for making it happen for us after 8 years wait! WE LOVE YOU!!! Forever grateful!”
My successful cycle we transferred my lonely 2 embryos on Day 2 and I have my 1 year old son from that fresh D2 transfer. We used HGH as my quality was really bad especially after termination my first pregnancy with Dr. Wang due to a developmental issue with the baby. So we used everything we knew about .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Leslie Dychiao)
Leslie has become a lifetime friend after being my nurse coordinator while I was cycling with Dr. Wang in 2014 and 2015. We still keep in touch. Since I graduated from Dr. Wang, I have created a group of former, current and future patients of Dr. Wang called Wang Gang. We are about 90 ladies and we help each other in real life with advise, medications and support.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic is not the typical cookie cutting clinic like Cornell, NYU or RMA. It is a charming little place where everybody knows you by name and you don't have to wait to be seen. It is in the heart of Manhattan so it is very easily accessible for all ladies coming from all over the world to find success. You will be treated in the best way possible by the entire staff!
I had insurance coverage so all I had to do is keep a close eye to all the claims

2015, Successful
She [Dr. Dicken] is easy to talk to and cares about her patients. She thoroughly answers all questions her patients have and makes herself available by email which was a real blessing. I felt comfortable asking her questions that may have otherwise been uncomfortable to ask should I have had a different doctor (about bleeding I was having etc). I attribute this to her warm, easy-going personality...
There are several doctors in the group [at Sher - Manh] and they communicate with each other to get advice about their patients. I really like that. It was great to know that my doctor was getting input from more than one physician about my situation and how to best help me...The staff at Sher NYC is okay. They can do a better job of providing thorough and complete information to patients since they are the ones who make phone calls to patients and regularly provide them with information about next steps during treatment...
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr. Dicken is a knowledgeable doctor with excellent bedside manner. She is easy to talk to and cares about her patients. She thoroughly answers all questions her patients have and makes herself available by email which was a real blessing. I felt comfortable asking her questions that may have otherwise been uncomfortable to ask should I have had a different doctor (about bleeding I was having etc). I attribute this to her warm, easy-going personality. I went through 2 IVF cycles with Dr. Dicken and the 2nd cycle resulted in my husband and I having two beautiful twin boys! We couldn't be happier with our experience and highly recommend Dr. Dicken to anyone considering IVF treatment.
Don't be afraid to reach out and ask her about concerns you have (I even sent her a picture of a bloody pad)!
Dr. Dicken is warm and personable. She is very responsive to email and genuinely cares about her patients and their results. I felt comfortable asking her any questions I had and she was always patient and thoughtful when answering. I never felt rushed out of her office and felt well taken care of by her.
My 2nd IVF cycle we used a treatment where we quieted down the endometriosis I had. I was given 1 shot every month for 3 months so that my eggs could grow without the endo interfering with their growth. I think this was a key factor in my ability to get pregnant in my 2nd IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
There are several doctors in the group and they communicate with each other to get advice about their patients. I really like that. It was great to know that my doctor was getting input from more than one physician about my situation and how to best help me.
My treatment was largely covered by my insurance. I think that the overall cost of care was somewhere in the $4,000 to $7,000 dollar range per IVF cycle.