Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Selling medication is not offered: Not Offered
Providing backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
822 Pine Street, Suite 4B
Philadelphia, PA 19107
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Society Hill Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

1 doctor
The clinic [Society Hill Reproductive Med] is a small one, which has pros and cons. On the pro side- you see the same people every time. The office is light and airy and doesn’t feel too “clinical”. They do have an acupuncturist there who you can see - although I don’t really recommend it (get acupuncture elsewhere). The wait times are minimal and you will usually be out in 30-45 minutes for your regular monitoring (bloodwork and U/S). They only do labs between 8-11am so plan your work schedule accordingly.
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is a small one, which has pros and cons. On the pro side- you see the same people every time. The office is light and airy and doesn’t feel too “clinical”. They do have an acupuncturist there who you can see - although I don’t really recommend it (get acupuncture elsewhere). The wait times are minimal and you will usually be out in 30-45 minutes for your regular monitoring (bloodwork and U/S). They only do labs between 8-11am so plan your work schedule accordingly. They do have a patient portal - but it’s not regularly updated and they don’t post your instructions in it (which is a bummer).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Although Dr. Kelly was very nice during consultations, we rarely saw her throughout the process (usually saw a nurse or tech for most appointments). For procedures, including my HSG, egg retrieval, test transfer and uterine biopsy, she was a little abrupt and didn’t talk much or provide much information. I felt like we received minimal information along the way and the emotional support was lacking. Every time we got a negative pregnancy test, it was just like “okay, so next step”. That being said, everyone at the office was respectful and appointments were pretty timely.
There was one lovely tech, who drew blood and handled the urine samples - very sweet and chatted with me every time. Then we saw one of two people who I think were nurses or nurse practitioners (really not clear) who did the ultrasounds and gave us instructions. Overall, they were nice, but a little detached and it always felt like they were on a time crunch. However, they were quick to respond to any phone calls with questions and went through our regimen with us.
What specific things went wrong at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kelly was very open to working with us as a same-sex couple and she seemed very knowledgeable. She did not push us towards aggressive treatment initially and was fine to try multiple IUI rounds before moving on to IVF. When we asked questions, she was able to answer. That being said, we only saw her during procedures and for a couple consultations. Most of the decisions (doing letrozole or a trigger shot with the IUIs) were communicated to us via the nurse. I had a couple of negative experiences during procedures when I felt that she was very abrupt and that communication wasn’t clear. For example, I went in for a transfer trial and in the middle, she said she was going to do a uterine biopsy - this hadn’t been discussed and I had no idea why or what to expect. I was already laying on a table, legs open with a full bladder, so I didn’t feel like I was able to ask thoughtful questions. During this, she also abruptly asked about my diet and said she wanted me to follow a strict Mediterranean diet because she thought my carb intake might be negatively affecting my egg quality. At no point had we ever discussed a problem with my egg quality and there was no follow-up (no diet teaching, no discussion of egg quality). That being said, she was kind and supportive during the 2 consultations we had and didn’t seem rushed during those times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Do thorough research beforehand and write out all your questions. Ask questions about everything- and double-check everything with the nurse or office staff.
Describe the protocols Maureen Kelly used in your cycles at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started out with a series of lab tests - infectious disease screening, thyroid screening and then ultrasounds and LH/FSH, estrogen and progesterone levels at Day 3 of my cycle and starting around day 10 of my cycle and then every few days until I ovulated. First cycle, we did an unmedicated IUI when my bloodwork showed I was surging before ovulation (donor sperm). We checked progesterone levels at 7 days after the IUI and then pregnancy test at 14 days. This was negative. Second cycle was the same process with the exception of checking progesterone (they didn’t feel it necessary the second cycle since I had been normal with the first cycle). Third cycle I had an HSG around Day 10, which was normal. I hadn’t ovulated by day 18 and so a trigger shot (Ovidrel) was prescribed. I gave myself the Ovidrel the night before the IUI (about 24 hours beforehand). Pregnancy test 14 days later was negative. Fourth cycle, we decided to do letrozole to increase the number of follicles to see if that would improve my odds of conception. I had some headaches with the letrozole, but otherwise no issues and I had 2 follicles develop for ovulation. We did IUI and a pregnancy test 14 days later which was negative. I took a break from the fertility process for 3 months due to emotional overwhelm. Then we moved on to cycle 5, with letrozole again and this time the Ovidrel trigger shot as well - to speed up ovulation. 2 follicles again. Pregnancy test 14 days later - negative. Dr. Kelly was fine with trying another IUI, but given the statistics, we decided to move on to IVF. Started birth control (Sprintec) with Day 2 of my cycle and took it for 10 days. Then started Menopur 1 vial and Gonal-F 100 units for 12 days and then increased Gonal-F to 150 units for another 4 days. I also took Ganirelix for the last week or so to prevent early ovulation. I took Pregynl as a trigger shot 35.5 hours prior to egg retrieval. 1 dose of Doxycycline to prevent infection before the egg retrieval with 2 more afterwards. After egg retrieval, I waited for my period, which came 13 days afterwards. Then I started birth control (Sprintec) again for 14 days, then Lupron 10 units for 4 days, the added Estradiol pills, estradiol patch. I have a regimen that includes Lupron, Estradiol pills, estradiol patch, Progesterone IM, progesterone vaginal suppository, Medrol and doxycycline to follow up until my transfer date, which was scheduled about 7 weeks after my egg retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
For the IUIs, it was about $2500-$3500 each time, counting the lab work and monitoring (all self pay for me). For the IVF, we purchased a package that cost about $13, 825 for the procedures and monitoring for a frozen cycle and up to 3 transfers (did not include meds).
Describe Maureen Kelly's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kelly would only transfer 1 embryo for the first round, given my age and lack of known fertility issues.
Philadelphia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.

2015 - 2019
The clinic [Society Hill Reproductive Medicine] has a very calm vibe, and the staff never gives you a problem if you happen to be late. They clearly cultivate a low stress atmosphere, which is a big help. It is definitely not a factory vibe, it feels more like a spa, which is really nice in the circumstances and that is clearly what they are going for...staff is very sensititive and understanding. Dr. Kelly REALLY listens and hears you out and takes your concerns into account.
2015 - 2019
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has a very calm vibe, and the staff never gives you a problem if you happen to be late. They clearly cultivate a low stress atmosphere, which is a big help. It is definitely not a factory vibe, it feels more like a spa, which is really nice in the circumstances and that is clearly what they are going for.
Her staff is very sensititive and understanding. Dr. Kelly REALLY listens and hears you out and takes your concerns into account.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
The nursing staff is very confident. They can sometimes move very quickly and speak very quickly! But they are also happy to slow down and take time to explain anything that is unclear. I have also found them to be very compassionate and empathetic in difficult circumstances.
Dr. Kelly is exceedingly knowledgeable and compassionate; I can’t recommend her highly enough. She is able to take all sorts of variables into account, and to adapt treatments accordingly. She is also very good at explaining what is going on medically and on what basis she is making her decisions.
I would recommend utilizing the holistic aspects of her treatment center including the nutrition and acupuncture offerings. I would also recommend compiling an entire medical history before you go, so that you can really tell her everything there is to know – because she’s great at taking all sorts of things into account.
All I can say specifically is that I have a terrible problem with migraines and Dr. Kelly has been able to adapt every single protocol to make sure that what I am doing does not trigger migraines. And that has been a huge relief. At the first sign that some protocol might be causing a migraine, she is able to immediately alter it to something better.
Very expensive, but that was expected and it did not strike me as overly expensive compared to what we were expecting.
I do not have a comment on this

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
The clinic [Society Hill] is clean and has a warm, friendly feel to it. The office manager is super organized and helpful....The nursing staff is amazing! They listened to me cry too many times for me to admit. This process is so emotional and they get that. I always felt like they listened to every one of my concerns and were always so supportive...The office staff is amazing too. Everyone there is respectful and professional.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean and has a warm, friendly feel to it. The office manager is super organized and helpful. I also used Main Line Fertility clinic (where Dr. Kelly does her procedures). Clean, professional and respectful. The nurses there were amazing too. They were so kind and caring.
Maureen Kelly is warm and considerate. She takes her time when talking to you and answers all of your questions. I cried many times in her office and she was supportive and open. Every time I left her office I felt cared for. I had some pretty crazy questions and she never made me feel stupid. The office staff is amazing too. Everyone there is respectful and professional.
The nursing staff is amazing! They listened to me cry too many times for me to admit. This process is so emotional and they get that. I always felt like they listened to every one of my concerns and were always so supportive. I never felt like I was asking a dumb question. They were encouraging and yet, not pushy at all. They respected my decisions and were so great at explaining everything I needed to do. Oftentimes I would leave the office and forget what they told me, so I'd call back later and they were never annoyed. It's a lot of details to remember! They write it all down, but you still seem to forget things.
I love Dr. Kelly! I say I wish all of my doctors were like her. She is warm, professional, extremely knowledgeable, trustworthy and kind. I always felt cared for and respected. She always took her time to thoroughly discuss my options with me and answered all of my questions. When I was hesitant to make decisions, she was patient with me and gave me space. She is an expert in her field and I had full trust in her.
Go for it! Make a consultation with her. You don't need to commit, but you'll get a sense of her personality and expertise when you meet her in person.
I don't remember everything because it was a lot and it was overwhelming. I had three IUIs. Two without medication and the last one with Clomid, which resulted in a miscarriage. I then started IVF, with the intention of first just freezing my eggs. I used Cetrotide, Follistim and the HcG shot. I ended up unfreezing some of my eggs for embryo transfer, but the ones unfrozen didn't fertilize, so I did another egg retrieval to get more eggs. This time I used Menopur and Cetrotide. I don't remember the specifics of the schedule. I ended up fertilizing my frozen eggs with the fresh ones together. I used Lupron and progesterone for the embryo transfers. I might have used something else, but I don't remember.
My insurance didn't cover a lot of my treatments, so most of my costs were out-of-pocket
I only had two embryos to transfer and I chose to do a single transfer. Dr. Kelly and I discussed the options, and she explained the best approach.

2012 - 2013
The process was very easy. Registration was quick. The staff [Society Hill Reproductive Med] knew who I was when I arrived. Dr Kelly knew my chart and info, the clinic was clean and well organised. I was able to get an appointment quickly. The reception area is accommodating. It is easy to find and the staff are nice. The communication after the procedure was also very good and they were able to compile documents I needed to apply for my child’s passport. Everyone was very helpful.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The process was very easy. Registration was quick. The staff knew who I was when I arrived. Dr Kelly knew my chart and info, the clinic was clean and well organised. I was able to get an appointment quickly. The reception area is accommodating. It is easy to find and the staff are nice. The communication after the procedure was also very good and they were able to compile documents I needed to apply for my child’s passport. Everyone was very helpful.
Dr Kelly was very professional and answered all of my question. She put me at ease and explained everything she was doing. She made sure that the time was perfect for IUI.
I did not meet with nurses. Only dr Kelly. She did everything.
Dr Kelly was respectful and answered all of my questions. She explained things further if I did not fully understand. She was honest about the statistics and what to expect. She listed to all of my concerns and was able to put me at ease. She tested me two days in a row to ensure that the IUi was to take place at the right time. She made sure that I was comfortable the whole time. I also appreciated her honesty.
Dr Kelly is very professional and even those of us who struggled for a long time will get good care. She will not give you false hope, but will help you through and hopefully get the results you want.
I do not remember
It was not as expensive as I was expecting, but not the cheapest. That being said, the clinic did everything for me, even retrieving my sperm (having it shipped etc).