Genetic counseling: Offered
is not offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
822 Pine Street, Suite 4B
Philadelphia, PA 19107
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Society Hill Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

1 doctor
The clinic [Society Hill Reproductive Med] is a small one, which has pros and cons. On the pro side- you see the same people every time. The office is light and airy and doesn’t feel too “clinical”. They do have an acupuncturist there who you can see - although I don’t really recommend it (get acupuncture elsewhere). The wait times are minimal and you will usually be out in 30-45 minutes for your regular monitoring (bloodwork and U/S). They only do labs between 8-11am so plan your work schedule accordingly.
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is a small one, which has pros and cons. On the pro side- you see the same people every time. The office is light and airy and doesn’t feel too “clinical”. They do have an acupuncturist there who you can see - although I don’t really recommend it (get acupuncture elsewhere). The wait times are minimal and you will usually be out in 30-45 minutes for your regular monitoring (bloodwork and U/S). They only do labs between 8-11am so plan your work schedule accordingly. They do have a patient portal - but it’s not regularly updated and they don’t post your instructions in it (which is a bummer).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Although Dr. Kelly was very nice during consultations, we rarely saw her throughout the process (usually saw a nurse or tech for most appointments). For procedures, including my HSG, egg retrieval, test transfer and uterine biopsy, she was a little abrupt and didn’t talk much or provide much information. I felt like we received minimal information along the way and the emotional support was lacking. Every time we got a negative pregnancy test, it was just like “okay, so next step”. That being said, everyone at the office was respectful and appointments were pretty timely.
There was one lovely tech, who drew blood and handled the urine samples - very sweet and chatted with me every time. Then we saw one of two people who I think were nurses or nurse practitioners (really not clear) who did the ultrasounds and gave us instructions. Overall, they were nice, but a little detached and it always felt like they were on a time crunch. However, they were quick to respond to any phone calls with questions and went through our regimen with us.
What specific things went wrong at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kelly was very open to working with us as a same-sex couple and she seemed very knowledgeable. She did not push us towards aggressive treatment initially and was fine to try multiple IUI rounds before moving on to IVF. When we asked questions, she was able to answer. That being said, we only saw her during procedures and for a couple consultations. Most of the decisions (doing letrozole or a trigger shot with the IUIs) were communicated to us via the nurse. I had a couple of negative experiences during procedures when I felt that she was very abrupt and that communication wasn’t clear. For example, I went in for a transfer trial and in the middle, she said she was going to do a uterine biopsy - this hadn’t been discussed and I had no idea why or what to expect. I was already laying on a table, legs open with a full bladder, so I didn’t feel like I was able to ask thoughtful questions. During this, she also abruptly asked about my diet and said she wanted me to follow a strict Mediterranean diet because she thought my carb intake might be negatively affecting my egg quality. At no point had we ever discussed a problem with my egg quality and there was no follow-up (no diet teaching, no discussion of egg quality). That being said, she was kind and supportive during the 2 consultations we had and didn’t seem rushed during those times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Do thorough research beforehand and write out all your questions. Ask questions about everything- and double-check everything with the nurse or office staff.
Describe the protocols Maureen Kelly used in your cycles at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started out with a series of lab tests - infectious disease screening, thyroid screening and then ultrasounds and LH/FSH, estrogen and progesterone levels at Day 3 of my cycle and starting around day 10 of my cycle and then every few days until I ovulated. First cycle, we did an unmedicated IUI when my bloodwork showed I was surging before ovulation (donor sperm). We checked progesterone levels at 7 days after the IUI and then pregnancy test at 14 days. This was negative. Second cycle was the same process with the exception of checking progesterone (they didn’t feel it necessary the second cycle since I had been normal with the first cycle). Third cycle I had an HSG around Day 10, which was normal. I hadn’t ovulated by day 18 and so a trigger shot (Ovidrel) was prescribed. I gave myself the Ovidrel the night before the IUI (about 24 hours beforehand). Pregnancy test 14 days later was negative. Fourth cycle, we decided to do letrozole to increase the number of follicles to see if that would improve my odds of conception. I had some headaches with the letrozole, but otherwise no issues and I had 2 follicles develop for ovulation. We did IUI and a pregnancy test 14 days later which was negative. I took a break from the fertility process for 3 months due to emotional overwhelm. Then we moved on to cycle 5, with letrozole again and this time the Ovidrel trigger shot as well - to speed up ovulation. 2 follicles again. Pregnancy test 14 days later - negative. Dr. Kelly was fine with trying another IUI, but given the statistics, we decided to move on to IVF. Started birth control (Sprintec) with Day 2 of my cycle and took it for 10 days. Then started Menopur 1 vial and Gonal-F 100 units for 12 days and then increased Gonal-F to 150 units for another 4 days. I also took Ganirelix for the last week or so to prevent early ovulation. I took Pregynl as a trigger shot 35.5 hours prior to egg retrieval. 1 dose of Doxycycline to prevent infection before the egg retrieval with 2 more afterwards. After egg retrieval, I waited for my period, which came 13 days afterwards. Then I started birth control (Sprintec) again for 14 days, then Lupron 10 units for 4 days, the added Estradiol pills, estradiol patch. I have a regimen that includes Lupron, Estradiol pills, estradiol patch, Progesterone IM, progesterone vaginal suppository, Medrol and doxycycline to follow up until my transfer date, which was scheduled about 7 weeks after my egg retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
For the IUIs, it was about $2500-$3500 each time, counting the lab work and monitoring (all self pay for me). For the IVF, we purchased a package that cost about $13, 825 for the procedures and monitoring for a frozen cycle and up to 3 transfers (did not include meds).
Describe Maureen Kelly's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kelly would only transfer 1 embryo for the first round, given my age and lack of known fertility issues.
Philadelphia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.

2016 - 2019
[Society Hill Reproductive Medicine] is a small practice with limited staff. It's not a big, fancy practice with all of the bells and whistles but you get incredible, passionate, and consistent care....The nursing staff is all incredible and very patient. I inundated them with questions and they patiently answered each one. They do move a little fast but were always happy to slow down and review....The care team is amazing - they are literally everything you would every want in a fertility doctor and nurse. This is a small practice so there are sometimes limited hours and they don't have a comprehensive patient portal, etc. However, they are always incredibly accommodating.
2016 - 2019
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The care team is amazing - they are literally everything you would every want in a fertility doctor and nurse. This is a small practice so there are sometimes limited hours and they don't have a comprehensive patient portal, etc. However, they are always incredibly accommodating. This has never been an issue for me. Vanessa, the front desk lead is very knowledgeable and efficient but not always the warmest. She's never rude, just to the point.
Doctor Kelly is incredibly passionate. She is optimistic yet realistic and very thorough. She treated my husband and I as individuals and considered every possible scenario given our history and diagnosis. While she used statistics to back up her recommendations, she never made us feel like a statistic but rather a couple that she was treating with an educated and holistic approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: stephanie)
I cannot say enough wonderful things about Dr. Kelly. Her profession is truly her passion and it comes through. Every time we met with her she gave us her undivided attention and went above and beyond to ensure we received the best care possible. At our last clinic, we were treated as a statistic and the doctor never truly dug in to understand what was preventing us from getting pregnant. Despite my desires, Dr. Kelly compassionately encouraged us to slow down and perform additional testing to ensure we had the full picture prior to going into another stimulation, retrieval, and transfer. While I was disappointed by the delay at the time, the additional testing proved to be informative and we ultimately got pregnant (for the first time) and now have a beautiful baby boy! Dr Kelly also has an incredibly calming presence. I tend to be a more anxious person and she listens to my fears and reassures me without dismissing me. I cannot sing her praises loud enough. I am so grateful to have found such a passionate, thoughtful, and thorough fertility doctor.
It is a small practice with limited staff. It's not a big, fancy practice with all of the bells and whistles but you get incredible, passionate, and consistent care.
Dr Kelly transferred 2 embryos for a fresh cycle which was a bit controversial given my age (29) and the excellent quality of the embryos. However, based off my husband and my history, she believed this was the best protocol. We proceeded and now have one very healthy baby boy.
IVF, Fresh Transfer $11,000 IVF, Frozen Transfer $4,500
Doctor Kelly takes eSET vs. multiple embryo transfer very seriously and thoroughly discusses all of the benefits and risks. Ultimately she made a recommendation and let us decide.

2015 - 2019
The clinic [Society Hill Reproductive Medicine] has a very calm vibe, and the staff never gives you a problem if you happen to be late. They clearly cultivate a low stress atmosphere, which is a big help. It is definitely not a factory vibe, it feels more like a spa, which is really nice in the circumstances and that is clearly what they are going for...staff is very sensititive and understanding. Dr. Kelly REALLY listens and hears you out and takes your concerns into account.
2015 - 2019
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has a very calm vibe, and the staff never gives you a problem if you happen to be late. They clearly cultivate a low stress atmosphere, which is a big help. It is definitely not a factory vibe, it feels more like a spa, which is really nice in the circumstances and that is clearly what they are going for.
Her staff is very sensititive and understanding. Dr. Kelly REALLY listens and hears you out and takes your concerns into account.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
The nursing staff is very confident. They can sometimes move very quickly and speak very quickly! But they are also happy to slow down and take time to explain anything that is unclear. I have also found them to be very compassionate and empathetic in difficult circumstances.
Dr. Kelly is exceedingly knowledgeable and compassionate; I can’t recommend her highly enough. She is able to take all sorts of variables into account, and to adapt treatments accordingly. She is also very good at explaining what is going on medically and on what basis she is making her decisions.
I would recommend utilizing the holistic aspects of her treatment center including the nutrition and acupuncture offerings. I would also recommend compiling an entire medical history before you go, so that you can really tell her everything there is to know – because she’s great at taking all sorts of things into account.
All I can say specifically is that I have a terrible problem with migraines and Dr. Kelly has been able to adapt every single protocol to make sure that what I am doing does not trigger migraines. And that has been a huge relief. At the first sign that some protocol might be causing a migraine, she is able to immediately alter it to something better.
Very expensive, but that was expected and it did not strike me as overly expensive compared to what we were expecting.
I do not have a comment on this

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
The clinic [Society Hill] is clean and has a warm, friendly feel to it. The office manager is super organized and helpful....The nursing staff is amazing! They listened to me cry too many times for me to admit. This process is so emotional and they get that. I always felt like they listened to every one of my concerns and were always so supportive...The office staff is amazing too. Everyone there is respectful and professional.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean and has a warm, friendly feel to it. The office manager is super organized and helpful. I also used Main Line Fertility clinic (where Dr. Kelly does her procedures). Clean, professional and respectful. The nurses there were amazing too. They were so kind and caring.
Maureen Kelly is warm and considerate. She takes her time when talking to you and answers all of your questions. I cried many times in her office and she was supportive and open. Every time I left her office I felt cared for. I had some pretty crazy questions and she never made me feel stupid. The office staff is amazing too. Everyone there is respectful and professional.
The nursing staff is amazing! They listened to me cry too many times for me to admit. This process is so emotional and they get that. I always felt like they listened to every one of my concerns and were always so supportive. I never felt like I was asking a dumb question. They were encouraging and yet, not pushy at all. They respected my decisions and were so great at explaining everything I needed to do. Oftentimes I would leave the office and forget what they told me, so I'd call back later and they were never annoyed. It's a lot of details to remember! They write it all down, but you still seem to forget things.
I love Dr. Kelly! I say I wish all of my doctors were like her. She is warm, professional, extremely knowledgeable, trustworthy and kind. I always felt cared for and respected. She always took her time to thoroughly discuss my options with me and answered all of my questions. When I was hesitant to make decisions, she was patient with me and gave me space. She is an expert in her field and I had full trust in her.
Go for it! Make a consultation with her. You don't need to commit, but you'll get a sense of her personality and expertise when you meet her in person.
I don't remember everything because it was a lot and it was overwhelming. I had three IUIs. Two without medication and the last one with Clomid, which resulted in a miscarriage. I then started IVF, with the intention of first just freezing my eggs. I used Cetrotide, Follistim and the HcG shot. I ended up unfreezing some of my eggs for embryo transfer, but the ones unfrozen didn't fertilize, so I did another egg retrieval to get more eggs. This time I used Menopur and Cetrotide. I don't remember the specifics of the schedule. I ended up fertilizing my frozen eggs with the fresh ones together. I used Lupron and progesterone for the embryo transfers. I might have used something else, but I don't remember.
My insurance didn't cover a lot of my treatments, so most of my costs were out-of-pocket
I only had two embryos to transfer and I chose to do a single transfer. Dr. Kelly and I discussed the options, and she explained the best approach.
Philadelphia

The nurses [at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine] knew my name and were so easy to have conversations with, I even went back recently and the nurse who often took my blood remembered my name...they did go above and beyond to see what our insurance would cover which was amazing!...The front desk woman was not as warm as everyone else, but once you got called back it was always a warm and bubbly interaction. A strength would be the feeling that the staff knew exactly who I was. I did not get seen my a different doctor or nurse every time I went. Maureen really felt like she had a hand in every move of our process.
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The nurses knew my name and were so easy to have conversations with, I even went back recently and the nurse who often took my blood remembered my name. Maureen did my IUI herself and was always available to speak with.
The nursing staff was always so pleasant and I very often had the same 2 or 3 nurses. They always seem very invested in me. I remember one nurse who was around my age, always being there with a positive attitude and always being able to relax me. When I happened to see this same nurse months later, she remembered me and asked how my new baby girl was and wanted to see pictures. It really meant a lot!
Maureen holds a special place in my heart, she single handedly figured out why our last fertility doctors were failing to get me pregnant. She made me feel safe almost like a daughter and was so quick at figuring out obsticales and correcting them. She got us pregnant on our first iui with her, after 9 failed iui with a different fertility clinic that had told me I had unexplained infertility. I could not feel luckier to have found her! Really appreciate her with all my heart
Trust her and don’t be shy. Ask any questions and be really vulnerable, this all greatly helps the process.
We Used a trigger shot as well as some supplemental medicines to aid in my IUI. I can not remember which exact medications we used. I do remember her asking about past treatments, my age and monitoring my previous cycle to come up with a game plan. I also remember her really honoring and considering any suggestions myself or my spouse made.
I do not remember I believe they were comparably to the average costs but they did go above and beyond to see what our insurance would cover which was amazing!

2012 - 2016
In 2012 I did a first consultation and IUI, plus bloodwork and it was around $1200 (the sperm costs $790 per vial and $250 for shipping) [at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine]...It was easy to get an appointment, and the paperwork was not very intensive. I am not from PA so I did have a hard time finding the actual office. I cannot say that there are weaknesses, or at least I did not have to experience any. I had a very good experience.
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Kelley was very professional. She sat down with me and answered everything and did exactly what she said. She also talked through the procedures so even though I could not see, I knew what she was doing. She was also very precise. She had me come in several times for blood work to make sure I was at my peak. every time I called I expected to the nurse or secretary, but instead, Dr Kelley (if she was available) spoke to me. I was really happy with the service.
I did not have a lot of interaction with the nurses, but they were very nice and knew about my treatment and who I was. They were professional and very responsive.
Dr Kelley was friendly and approachable. My first time doing IUI she made me feel as though anything I asked was an interesting an important question. If I did not ask about something and she thought it was important, she would ask me if I would like to know about it, or gave additional information (for different outcomes).
Bring your questions and Dr Kelly can answer everything.
I do not remember.
In 2012 I did a first consultation and IUI, plus bloodwork and it was around $1200 (the sperm costs $790 per vial and $250 for shipping).