7.3

661-441-3590
Ventura
2755 Loma Vista Rd
Ventura, CA 93003

He [Dr. Mark Surrey] recommended single transfer but was open to discussing this with me. Ultimately we did both single and multiple transfers...treatment was specific to me, not just a one size fits all approach...Anything important was always communicated directly from him, not another member of the team. I really appreciated that. Dr. Surrey has a supportive but not emotional method to his treatment. I felt like we really built a strong doctor patient relationship throughout my time. And when something didn’t go according to plan, he was sensitive to it. He had a very calm and friendly demeanor.
It was always a pleasure to go to the clinic [Southern California Reproductive Center] and see them [staff]. I felt like they really knew me and I developed a wonderful relationship with Laura [nurse] and the whole team...I had the most wonderful Ultrasound Tech, Neha! I had other techs as well who were fantastic, but I saw Neha at 90% of my visits. She was so knowledgeable and kind no matter the circumstance...The costs were in line with what we had experienced elsewhere. However, SCRC provided all costs upfront and at the start of each treatment. There were no hidden costs. It removed anxiety to know there wouldn’t be any unforeseen costs.
How was your experience with Mark Surrey at Southern California Reproductive Center?
From our first meeting with Dr. Surrey, I really like him and his thoughts on what would be good initial treatment steps for us. However, I felt there would be much less hand holding, which worried me. But I quickly realized that while I wouldn’t see Dr. Surrey at each visit (for convenience you often just see the nurse and ultrasound tech for quick check-ins) he would call me every time with my results from that day. Anything important was always communicated directly from him, not another member of the team. I really appreciated that. Dr. Surrey has a supportive but not emotional method to his treatment. I felt like we really built a strong doctor patient relationship throughout my time. And when something didn’t go according to plan, he was sensitive to it. He had a very calm and friendly demeanor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Surrey at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Ask him questions as they arise, he is very open and easy to talk with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Surrey at Southern California Reproductive Center?
My care from Dr. Surrey and his team was specific to me. I had my own nurse and often saw the same ultrasound tech. They kept in close contact over email and phone with me. I was always able to reach someone when needed. They knew what was going on in each cycle. I felt like their treatment was specific to me, not just a one size fits all approach.
Describe the protocols Mark Surrey used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We did IVF cycles with him. He utilized injections and oral or vaginal medication for harvesting/retrieval prep and transfer plans. Our first retrieval prep was cancelled prior to the actual retrieval because of the poor egg numbers he saw. This was hard but I was so glad that he made this decision based on my numbers, it felt personalized, rather than just having me move forward with what would have been a poor retrieval. After that he adjusted my medications and got a better response for our next cycle. His transfer plans also felt specific to me, he adjusted as often as he felt necessary to allow for optimal results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura W. )
Laura was my main nurse, but Olivia and other team members helped as needed. They were all so supportive and wonderful! They always knew what was going on with my cycle, ordered the necessary labs, ultrasounds, etc. They were easy to get in touch with and always responded very quickly to emails. They provided ongoing education when needed and up to date calendars that were easy to follow. They reviewed in detail medication administration so I felt well equipped to administer at home. It was always a pleasure to go to the clinic and see them. I felt like they really knew me and I developed a wonderful relationship with Laura and the whole team.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The clinic is beautiful and very well run! It’s effective and efficient. Fertility is rough no matter what you have to do and patients are always a bit on edge. I know I was at different stages of my treatment. I think SCRC accounts for this and tries to ease the concerns and fear that goes with the process. They were also the most upfront with fertility costs than any other doctor I had seen before going to SCRC. It was nice to know that no unforeseen costs would be incurred. I knew everything at the start of each treatment. This removed a lot of anxiety.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Southern California Reproductive Center.
I had the most wonderful Ultrasound Tech, Neha! I had other techs as well who were fantastic, but I saw Neha at 90% of my visits. She was so knowledgeable and kind no matter the circumstance. We had good and bad ultrasounds and she was always a strong support. She was incredibly professional but also personal to my care. It meant the world to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Surrey at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Describe Mark Surrey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
He recommended single transfer but was open to discussing this with me. Ultimately we did both single and multiple transfers. He listened to me and we agreed together that a double embryo transfer was best for my last transfer that resulted in the live birth of our son.
Mark Surrey
Beverly Hills
He [Dr. Mark Surrey] always remembered us and our situation. He would always contact us with lab results, new information or just to check in. He was very informative and always presented us with options in moving forward with procedures or testings...We began with an egg retrieval, followed by a FET cycle a couple weeks later. My fiancé experienced hyper stimulation, severe bloating and swelling. Resulting in 2 taps to remove the excess fluids. The hormone injections may have been too strong for her body. We retrieved 33 eggs, made 5 embryos, 2 were mosaic.
The nursing staff [at Southern California Reproductive Center] was awesome, all very sweet, welcoming and polite. My fiancé had a lot of discomfort with the ultrasound probe. Except with one nurse, Sue. Who was extremely gentle and aware of her sensitivity, so we requested her every time and the nurses would coordinate to make it happen...Very nice, clean, plenty of seating, calming environment with lots of natural light. 8am - 10am there is a lot of patients coming and going. The administrative desk can be a little distracted at times. It would sometimes take a few moments to be greeted or acknowledged if they were typing, filing, etc. But overall very nice. The nursing team was awesome, always available, after hours or on the weekends.
Overall, Dr. Surrey was very great and very pleasant. He always remembered us and our situation. He would always contact us with lab results, new information or just to check in. He was very informative and always presented us with options in moving forward with procedures or testings. Financial stresses and work related challenges have been very present throughout our process. This is probably just a personal/emotional experience, but I felt as though Dr. Surrey was not mindful of our financial struggles. I understand he has an accounting department for that, but sometimes it almost seemed like we were encouraged to take the most expensive procedures/actions to move forward. However, if finances were not an issue, I probably would not feel that way.
Educate yourself as much as possible, talk to others who have gone through IVF treatments successfully and unsuccessful. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Surrey was always very involved. He would personally check in on my fiancé in addition to his nurses calling us as well. If he solely spoke to my fiancé on the phone, he always volunteered to call me directly and relay the information, or encouraged me to call if we had any questions. We had a couple emergency situations, over a weekend, due to hyper-stimulation and Dr. Surrey, literally left the golf course to come see us at his clinic. He was also very warm and friendly and very familiar with our situation, considering all the other patients he has, it made us feel special.
We began with an egg retrieval, followed by a FET cycle a couple weeks later. My fiancé experienced hyper stimulation, severe bloating and swelling. Resulting in 2 taps to remove the excess fluids. The hormone injections may have been too strong for her body. We retrieved 33 eggs, made 5 embryos, 2 were mosaic. Of the 3 viable embryos, two were Day 7 and one was Day 5, which we transferred. Unfortunately our transfer was not a successful pregnancy. A couple months later we decided to do another egg retrieval and freeze. This time Dr. Surrey lowered the hormonal dosage, which prevented hyper stimulation happening again. This time we got 20 eggs and just froze them due to finances at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Paulina)
Paulina was great. Very responsive and thorough with information. The nursing staff was awesome, all very sweet, welcoming and polite. My fiancé had a lot of discomfort with the ultrasound probe. Except with one nurse, Sue. Who was extremely gentle and aware of her sensitivity, so we requested her every time and the nurses would coordinate to make it happen. Olivia was also very helpful, she was aware of our finances and helped in obtaining coupons for medications. Desta was also amazing. He was the phlebotomist that my fiancé always requested as well. She does not like needles, bruises extremely easy and has delicate arms, so his care was highly appreciated!
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Wonderful clinic. Very nice, clean, plenty of seating, calming environment with lots of natural light. 8am - 10am there is a lot of patients coming and going. The administrative desk can be a little distracted at times. It would sometimes take a few moments to be greeted or acknowledged if they were typing, filing, etc. But overall very nice. The nursing team was awesome, always available, after hours or on the weekends.
Dr. Surrey was very neutral and didn't really encourage one way or the other. He educated us on the tradeoffs.
Mark Surrey

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Chang would personally call me after every major appointment to give me results and next steps. She would provide lots of details in her recommendations and scientific statistics. She makes me feel like I am her only patient and her staff is very reachable as well...My doctor recommended single embryo transfer since it is safest for mom and embryo...She is connected with some of the top cancer doctors in the world and we were able to receive recommendations from a male fertility urologist and oncologist if it was safe to proceed with IVF
This clinic partners with Livestrong Fertility and provides cancer patients a discount on certain services...The [S.California Reproductive Center] message portal is regularly checked and I always expected a quick answer...Very clean. If I arrived early, they would often take me right away. I've never waited more than a few minutes for my appointment. Wish parking was validated...
How was your experience with Wendy Chang at Southern California Reproductive Center?
I am still in the middle of treatment with Dr. Chang. My husband was diagnosed with Chronic Leukemia and we were desperately trying to determine if his sperm could be used for IVF. She is connected with some of the top cancer doctors in the world and we were able to receive recommendations from a male fertility urologist and oncologist if it was safe to proceed with IVF given my husband's poor sperm quality. Dr. Chang is very candid and respectful with her patients. She clearly provided us with our options for IVF and her recommendations with the risks of each procedure (ICSI, genetic test, frozen embryo transfers etc). I am grateful for Dr. Changs attention to detail and "taking care of business". We were getting ready for the frozen embryo transfer and we did some pre-testing to make sure I didn't have any infections --- turns out I did and she immediately put me on antibiotics and probiotics. She never rushes in to something and takes all the necessary precautions, even though I am anxious to get pregnant! All in due time. I can't recommend Dr. Chang more. I drive 3 hours each way just to go to this clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Chang at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Chang will conduct lots of necessary pre-testing to ensure you are set up for success. Critical, but can take some patience if you're antsy to get pregnant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Chang at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Chang would personally call me after every major appointment to give me results and next steps. She would provide lots of details in her recommendations and scientific statistics. She makes me feel like I am her only patient and her staff is very reachable as well. At my previous clinic in San Diego, I was a patient for over 6 months and only spoke to the official doctor twice.
Describe the protocols Wendy Chang used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We used stimulation hormones leading up to the egg retrieval. I was able to use smaller dosage since my eggs were in good shape and my PCOS actually helped create 30 eggs. I was hoping we could do a fresh embryo transfer but our sperm were of poor quality and we needed lots of testing done to the embryo. We have not done our Frozen Embryo Transfer yet, but the plan is to try with no medications at first and just monitor my growth after I stop birth control. We will intervene with Letrozole as needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Amber )
While we were waiting outside lab results, the nurses would follow up with clinics and let me know immediately of results via phone call. The message portal is regularly checked and I always expected a quick answer. Such a friendly and "on top of it" clinical team.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
This clinic partners with Livestrong Fertility and provides cancer patients a discount on certain services. Very strict COVID-19 protocols. Only patients with appointments are allowed in the building. Strict screening. Very clean. If I arrived early, they would often take me right away. I've never waited more than a few minutes for my appointment. Wish parking was validated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Chang at Southern California Reproductive Center.
IVF Embryology with Cryopreservation (no transfer) - $3950. ICSI- $1650 Embryo storage $750 Embryoscope $2500 Embryo Biopsy $1800 PGT-A/PGT-SR $2000
Describe Wendy Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
My doctor recommended single embryo transfer since it is safest for mom and embryo. We agree with this approach.

2014 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Alexander is very knowledgeable and empathetic. She truly knows hers patients' stories...She knows the science but she also knows there is an emotional side to this field of fertility medicine that needs to equaly be supported...did a medicated egg retrieval cycle. Followed by ICSI fertilization for half my eggs...at day 5 we got 9 embryos, which I wasn't expecting that many! We did PGS testing on 8 of them and left one untested. 1 embryo came back euploidy (normal), 1 came back mosiac for chromosome 12 (60% normal cells and 40% missing chromosome 12) and 7 completely aneaploidy (abnormal).
Olivia [nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center] was always great at calling or emailing. I appreciated that. But she was not the most organized with the instructions for meds. Especially during my egg retrieval cycle. She emailed me the instructions but also called to verbally explain the instructions for my trigger meds. Verbally She told me to take my HCG shot at midnight. But in the written instructions she wrote 12pm.
How was your experience with Carolyn Alexander at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Alexander is very knowledgeable and empathetic. She truly knows hers patients' stories. For me I came to her for secondary fertility. We lost our first baby half way through the pregnancy but then was able conceive 1.5 years after that loss but at the cost of exhausting cycle tracking. We saw her for IUI's for our next pregnancies but sadly they all failed and we fell pregnant when we stopped treatments and went back to relentless cycle tracking. After suffering a miscarriage in 2018 I decided I wanted to try IVF and knew they only doctor I would trust my time and money with to do this would be Dr. A. Because of her we were able to conceive another healthy boy . I owe that to her competent and compassionate care. She knows the science but she also knows there is an emotional side to this field of fertility medicine that needs to equaly be supported. Without her constant and positive care I really don't think we would have had success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carolyn Alexander at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Open up to her. She will listen to all your concerns and do her best to set your mind at ease and support you through this process. Also track your meds and dosages in your own organizer. We used an excel spreadsheet. That way I knew exactly when and how much medication I needed to take as well as how much I had left so I had plenty of time to get refills. I live 3 hours away from the clinic and specialty pharmacies. It wasn't always easy to get meds so I had to be prepared.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carolyn Alexander at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Alexander has an amazing bedside manner. She is knowledgeable and empathetic and a beacon of positivity. She is such a great strength to me and my fertility journey. She would stay in touch frequently through personal texts and phone calls. She cares so much and it shows. She cares for her patients and the family of her patients and she makes that known and felt! She knows you and your story and she makes you feel like you're her only patient. I don't know how she has the capacity to be the caring doctor she is!
Describe the protocols Carolyn Alexander used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I had some symptoms of PCOS but always ovulated regularly with or with out meds. So there was this unknown cause for my infertility as well. We did a medicated egg retrieval cycle. Followed by ICSI fertilization for half my eggs (I had so many she decided to fertilize the other half just by mixing sprem and eggs in the petri dish). Then at day 5 we got 9 embryos, which I wasn't expecting that many! We did PGS testing on 8 of them and left one untested. 1 embryo came back euploidy (normal), 1 came back mosiac for chromosome 12 (60% normal cells and 40% missing chromosome 12) and 7 completely aneaploidy (abnormal). We decided to transfer the normal embryo in a medicated, single FET (frozen embryo transfer). To prep for that transfer we did an ERA (Endometrial Receptivity Array) it tells you exactly how long you need the progesterone injections before the transfer to be successful. And it worked we had successful transfer and a healthy baby boy. Also after the egg retrieval Dr. Alexander looked around my uterus via ultra sound and saw I had an ithmocele (a c-searan scar defect) this needed major surgery to correct it before a tranfer could be attempted. Although sad for the set back I was so grateful for her attention to detail to make everythng as perfect as could be so we could have a successful transfer and healthy baby. I look forward to working with her again for another embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Olivia)
Olivia was always great at calling or emailing. I appreciated that. But she was not the most organized with the instructions for meds. Especially during my egg retrieval cycle. She emailed me the instructions but also called to verbally explain the instructions for my trigger meds. Verbally She told me to take my HCG shot at midnight. But in the written instructions she wrote 12pm. I was a wreck the night of my trigger shot thinking I did it at the wrong time and Dr. A would have to retrieve my eggs at 12 am the next day. The stimulating drugs make you crazy and loopy anyway but to add that stress of mixing up 12pm and 12am almost killed me. I was a wreck I cried so hard and had to remember and replay the verbal instructions in my mind to set myself at ease.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
I was a patient for my IVF and FET cycles during covid. So it was hard. Shot clinics weren't available and covid testing was crazy but not their fault. I feel the office staff was always kind and helpful and many of the ultrasound techs were friendly and informative. I always felt well cared for and attended to.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carolyn Alexander at Southern California Reproductive Center.
The IVF and gentic testing and embrology fees was just under 20k, including meds. The FET with the ERA was about 6k
Describe Carolyn Alexander's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Because I had one golden embryo that we knew was normal we decided on just the single embryo transfer to give that embryo the best chance of implanting and growing in to a healthy baby.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Olivia didn't realize that I had major surgery to correct my isthmocele (c-section scar abnormality). And she started to schedule my ERA and FET before I had finished my recovery. I kind of felt like she was paying more attention to protocol rather than reviewing my chart and knowing I was still needing to recover. That made lose a bit of faith again in my nursing care. I'm sure that sugery was listed in my chart.

2015 - 2021, Successful
The [Southern California Reproductive Center] clinic is beautiful, modern, and very clean. The staff is always friendly and very helpful. Hours are very accommodating for working patients. They are compliant with COVID mandates. Parking can be a challenge sometimes, as the structure fills up quickly...Compassionate, easy to communicate with
How was your experience with Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center?
I’m grateful to have found Dr. Ghadir, even though I am still without a baby. He is honest and compassionate. We had a running joke that I was his favorite patient because I had been going to him for so long. You will not see Dr. Ghadir for routine lab work or ultrasounds. They have techs who handle that. So no, you won’t see him EVERY appointment. But he handled all of my cycles and major procedures. He was always there during my ultrasounds when I was pregnant. So happy for me. And when I miscarried, he wrapped his arms around me and just let me cry. I trust him completely and I feel safe, which is why I will continue my journey with him as my doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Take notes and ask all the questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Whether it was a negative pregnancy test or miscarriage, Dr. Ghadir had empathy. He knew me, called to check up on me, was honest and up front during every cycle. He and his staff truly cared about me.
Describe the protocols Shahin Ghadir used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
My AMH was low. Extremely low. So we decided to dive straight into IVF. I began stim meds to prep for an egg retrieval. I had purchased a package for 2 cycles. My body was not responding to the meds as Dr. Ghadir had hoped. He didn’t want me to hyper stimulate so I stopped. Failed cycle #1. I waited a few months and tried again, same outcome. I had no eggs. Premature Ovarian Failure. This is when we discussed using donor eggs. I chose my first donor and was genuinely excited. She ended up not responding to the stim meds, so I moved on to another donor. We got 17 eggs, and I ended up with 5 healthy embryos. We did an ERA before the first transfer of my only female embryo. We had a positive reception and moved on to the transfer. The transfer did not take. Neither did #2 or #3. We did another ERA and proceeded with transfer #4. And I got pregnant! It was the happiest 8 weeks of my life. I went in for an ultrasound during week 5 and 6 and everything seemed fine. My ultrasound in week 8 confirmed there was no heartbeat. Transfer #5 had the same outcome. Got pregnant and during the ultrasound in week 7, there was no heartbeat. I went for blood and ultrasounds every 3 days to check hormone levels and lining leading up to each embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Angela )
I have to say, I think I might have loved Angela a little bit more than my doctor! She was just incredible. Compassionate, easy to communicate with, always available when Dr. Ghadir wasn’t. If I was second guessing myself, she would explain things again. Definitely a huge reason why I loved SCRC and Dr. Ghadir.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The clinic is beautiful, modern, and very clean. The staff is always friendly and very helpful. Hours are very accommodating for working patients. They are compliant with COVID mandates. Parking can be a challenge sometimes, as the structure fills up quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center.
In total, I’ve spent around $80k.
Describe Shahin Ghadir's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
No comments, but my doctor did encourage me to do single embryo transfers.

2021, Successful
[Dr.] Wendy Chang was very meticulous and thorough in her whole approach. She was calm and explained things along the way, careful not to set high expectations but rather taking it step by step. She always answered questions and is very very knowledgable and respectful...I appreciate the fact she always focused on the task at hand each time rather than encouraging the what ifs later on...
The clinic [Southern California Reproductive Center] is well presented, clean and is an all in-house clinic, meaning you can do all the procedures there. Staff at front desk and lab are all nice. Staff at the specialty departments, like the ART and surgery are super nice. One thing I would point out per my experience is the billing department at SCRC that was making multiple mistakes with extra charges on multiple occasions. So I was always double checking all my bills carefully and had to call them to correct the mistakes or for a refund...
Wendy Chang is a very knowledgable, meticulous and thorough doctor and always careful in her approach and communication delivery, process, explanations and expectations. She was always answering my questions, she was always very calm and careful not to set high expectations. I appreciate the fact she always focused on the task at hand each time rather than encouraging the what ifs later on. I would recommend her undoubtedly to anyone. I respect her knowledge and communication.
Listen to her, trust her knowledge and take her careful and meticulous approach as a good thing. She will not sugarcoat or give false expectations and that is what I liked about her during the whole process.
My treatment was during Covid, for that she was very cautious with all safety measures in place for absolutely not exposing herself or her patients to added risk. Her strategies were to focus at each step each time and not look far ahead as, depending on the treatment process, there are multiple steps involved over a lengthy period of time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Southern California Reproductive Center.
I was dealing primarily with 2 nurses, Danielle and Kimberly. They were both wonderful, always explaining things, promptly replying to questions and always loving and kind meeting with them in person.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The clinic is well presented, clean and is an all in-house clinic, meaning you can do all the procedures there. Staff at front desk and lab are all nice. Staff at the specialty departments, like the ART and surgery are super nice. One thing I would point out per my experience is the billing department at SCRC that was making multiple mistakes with extra charges on multiple occasions. So I was always double checking all my bills carefully and had to call them to correct the mistakes or for a refund.
Around or slightly under $40K
She will not make any decisions for you, decision making is all you. But once you’ve made your decision she can agree with it and be encouraging.

2019 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Ghadir is by far the most caring, professional, knowledgeable doctor we have meet...he recommended using donor eggs, as my issue was low egg reserve and next cycle could yield the same results. We highly appreciated the honesty and the options. Hence we tried tried fresh donor egg cycle, to which we were fortunate enough to get 8 healthy eggs for use, transferred 2, and ended up with a pregnancy with 1 baby boy...
The nursing staff [at Southern California Reproductive Center] was very friendly and caring throught my treatment. Always wished me well when we spoke...The clinic is very clean and beautifully decorated. IF there is anything that makes you uncomfortable they are sure to accommodate you as much as possible. The wait time is generally really minimal. And staff is always ready to answer any questions you may have. Always willing to help...
Dr. Ghadir is by far the most caring, professional, knowledgeable doctor we have meet. The clinic is extremely clean and is beautifully decorated. It does not feel like a clinic at all. They gave us the best gift during our last visit there, a framed onesie with our baby ultrasound picture. Thanks to the treatment recommended we are now 8 months pregnant. We will forever be thankful to him and his wonderful staff for all they've done for us. May he be blessed with many more years of health and success so that he can continue to help others as he has helped us.
You can fully trust this doctor, his recommendations, and procedures. He is really knowledable and always tries to do the best for you.
Doctor and staff where always friendly and asking hiw treatment was going, and always wished me the best every time we spoke.
We tried first cycle on myself. Unfortunately it had to get cancelled due to my eggs not reacting to the meds as expected. My 3ggs where not multiplying enough nor were they growing to the required size for retrieval. The doctor was very straight forward and explained we could keep trying as much as we wanted, but he recommended using donor eggs, as my issue was low egg reserve and next cycle could yield the same results. We highly appreciated the honesty and the options. Hence we tried tried fresh donor egg cycle, to which we were fortunate enough to get 8 healthy eggs for use, transferred 2, and ended up with a pregnancy with 1 baby boy. We are now 8 months pregnant thanks to his recommendations and treatments.
The nursing staff was very friendly and caring throught my treatment. Always wished me well when we spoke.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
We expressed we wanted more than one baby, and the doctor agreed to transfer two embryos at once. He always tried to comply with our needs and wants as long as it was medically and positively possible.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Dr. Chang was thorough at our initial consultation, and provided us with a list of vitamins to start with. After that initial consultation, it is almost impossible to get a hold of her if you have any major or minor issues. Our second call was before the start of the initial cycle and it felt rushed (although we were billed for it)...she did not adjust any treatment protocol when it did not work...
Nursing staff, assistants, and the entire clinical team [at Southern California Reproductive Center] is disorganized, would not return calls timely. Written portal messages are not read or checked during the weekend (without prior notice to us). Prescriptions were not sent to pharmacy timely, leading to missed dosage. Multiple calls without response, and results of testing are not communicated...
Dr. Chang was thorough at our initial consultation, and provided us with a list of vitamins to start with. After that initial consultation, it is almost impossible to get a hold of her if you have any major or minor issues. Our second call was before the start of the initial cycle and it felt rushed (although we were billed for it), our last call described an upcoming treatment protocol which did not match up with what was prescribed less than a day later.
I wouldn't recommend it. Dr. Chang was nice and friendly, however, she did not adjust any treatment protocol when it did not work.
Large clinic with lots of patients each day. You almost never get to speak with the doctor or have your concerns addressed by your doctor. The clinical team nurses and assistants rotate frequently so there is never a continuity of care in any sense.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Nursing staff, assistants, and the entire clinical team is disorganized, would not return calls timely. Written portal messages are not read or checked during the weekend (without prior notice to us). Prescriptions were not sent to pharmacy timely, leading to missed dosage. Multiple calls without response, and results of testing are not communicated.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
We chose this particular clinic because we saw the good reviews about its labs. However, everything else is disorganized, billing department is horrendous with charges not submitted to insurance despite multiple requests. Nursing staffs are not timely in responding to crucial questions, or any questions at all. We definitely felt like a number in the clinic rather than a patient. I do appreciate the team who draws the blood as they are friendly and gentle. One ultrasound tech was extremely thorough and friendly, the rest are either completely rude to just average.
IUI costs are paid ala carte, but since I had fertility coverage, some of the services were paid through insurance. However, despite updating my insurance information with them multiple times, they failed to submit the bills to insurance for payment. Instead, I was sent a bill as if I did not have insurance coverage. Twice I was told I had cleared the amount owed, but to return 2 days later (for a scheduled appointment) to be told a balance is still owed.

2019 - 2021, Successful
She [Dr. Alexander] spends time with you and talks to with so much compassion. She involves you in the treatment plan and takes your thoughts/suggestions into consideration all while trying to establish an individualize approach to your case...she did a huge work up on me, starting from generic tests they order at all fertility clinics to ordering specialized genetic testing, full hematology work up, bcl6 testing, as well as DNA fragmentation test of my husbands sperm...
[Southern California Reproductive Center] Strengths: huge clinic with abundant staff, and state of the ART embryology lab. They are very organized and are open everyday. They also open at 7AM, allowing for early morning appts (which was SO important for me). They have different physicians, each with their own clinical team working here, but they do cover each other if for some reason a person from your designated team is unavailable. Weakness—because it is so large, you can feel lost sometimes. Make sure you ask questions (to anyone if needed).
She is a brilliant physician, who is well informed and up-to-date on all things relating to fertility. She doesn’t treat you as a number, but as patient and as a friend. Her warm demeanor/bedside manner instantly lessens your anxiety, and her expertise (she teaches at UCLA at cedar sinai!) immediately puts your mind at ease, reassuring you that you are in good hands. I’d recommend her in a heartbeat to anyone looking for a fertility doctor, because she’s seriously amazing.
Ask questions, don’t be afraid to give your input/suggestions because she will take them into consideration while attempting to tailor a customized approach to your case.
She spends time with you and talks to with so much compassion. She involves you in the treatment plan and takes your thoughts/suggestions into consideration all while trying to establish an individualize approach to your case.
The kitchen sink was thrown at me, bc everything on paper was “normal”. I loved that she did a huge work up on me, starting from generic tests they order at all fertility clinics to ordering specialized genetic testing, full hematology work up, bcl6 testing, as well as DNA fragmentation test of my husbands sperm. I did 4 IUI, with no success. I ultimately did 1 round of IVF with Menpur/gonalF/cetrotide/lupron trigger, retrieving 31 eggs. We did ICSI, genetic testing, and frozen embryo transfer.
Nursing staff handles a lot of the communication for reviewing protocols and medications with you. They are thorough and go over everything with you via email/phone. They are very nice, and no question is a dumb question. They walk you through each step of the protocol. Medications are sent quickly to ALTO pharmacy, who delivers them straight to your house to avoid any delays during the treatment
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Strengths: huge clinic with abundant staff, and state of the ART embryology lab. They are very organized and are open everyday. They also open at 7AM, allowing for early morning appts (which was SO important for me). They have different physicians, each with their own clinical team working here, but they do cover each other if for some reason a person from your designated team is unavailable. Weakness—because it is so large, you can feel lost sometimes. Make sure you ask questions (to anyone if needed). If your email is not responded to by your team in a few hours, call the clinic. And request to speak to your team. Be proactive in your care and management, and you will have a great experience.
For IVF: medication—$4000. IVF egg retrieval + ICSI genetic testing+ embryoscope, + frozen embryo transfer approx $25,000.
She recommended single embryo transfer to avoid any potential complications with pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Ive had to request medication to be sent to the pharmacy once because it was not done in a timely manner. I called the clinical team, and they fixed this right away.

2020, Consult
Embryo Freezing
I only completed a consultation with Dr. Akopians and can't really say too much about the overall clinic [SCRC]. Front desk staff and phone calls with people were fine, but I can't say they came off particularly cheery, warm etc. like other clinics...Dr. Akopians did not provide personalized care or advice based on my individual situation and only recited standard textbook approaches for women of advanced maternal age. She suggested using donor eggs (the only doctor among 5 others) when I still have regular menses and have prior cycles where I was able to retrieve MII eggs that all fertilized. She didn't really clarify why I should use donor
How was your experience with Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Honestly, out of all the doctors I've seen this year, she was the worst. Came off a bit arrogant, lectures on the basic of fertility 101 which most women going through IVF already know, and does not seem able to think outside the box. She was the only one to suggest donor eggs and does not seem confident or knowledgeable in working with older women 40+. She agreed to do my cycles but who wants a doctor that doesn't believe in their journey and wants to try innovative ways so they can maximize their potential?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Don't see Dr. Akopians if you have a complex fertility issue because she can't think outside the box and won't try different protocols that aren't standard textbook approaches. I can't really recommend her for older women because she'll probably try to sell you donor eggs when you still have a couple years to try.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Akopians did not provide personalized care or advice based on my individual situation and only recited standard textbook approaches for women of advanced maternal age. She suggested using donor eggs (the only doctor among 5 others) when I still have regular menses and have prior cycles where I was able to retrieve MII eggs that all fertilized. She didn't really clarify why I should use donor eggs other than mentioning how I was only able to retrieve a small amount of eggs and many were unable to make it to Day 5 blastocyst stage. However, there is research on IVF for older women which suggests Day 5 blastocyst cultures may not be the best approach especially for older women with low amount of eggs. Many viable embryos do not necessarily make it to blastocyst stage In vitro (but can still result in healthy babies if frozen early and implanted). She also gave a long intro on the basics of fertility (how women are born with all the eggs they have and how much they lose etc etc.), really basic information most women know especially if they are planning on IVF treatments. Most other doctors skip all that unless you ask, especially if you've already completed cycles prior. They should know that's all old news.
Describe the protocols Alin Lina Akopians used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
She recommended donor eggs when I still have regular periods and mature MII oocytes/eggs that all fertilized. I was able to find another doctor (Dr. Amin at Reproductive Partners in Beverly Hills/Redondo/Westminster) who put me on estrogen/estradiol for 5 days before my cycle start, and I was able to grow 9 eggs instead of 3!
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
I only completed a consultation with Dr. Akopians and can't really say too much about the overall clinic. Front desk staff and phone calls with people were fine, but I can't say they came off particularly cheery, warm etc. like other clinics.
Describe Alin Lina Akopians's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
She is pessimistic regarding older women trying IVF and suggests donor eggs too early. Does not seem to have alternative approaches to try and does not think outside the box.

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr Akopians suggested only transferring one to be conservative and see how my body responded to a transfer) She honored our request and transferred two...She decided to lower my dosage and it ended up helping the polyps not return as quickly after we had just done a surgery to remove them. She really looks at your specifics and she will alter her strategies to get you the best results.
The [SCRC] clinic is super clean, appointments were very fast, ,I was never left waiting long for my scheduled appointment like some doctor's offices. Everyone was professional, from the nurses at the front desk, to the lab, to your clincial team. I had excellent interactions with everyone I encountered every time...
Dr Akopians is intelligent, thorough and above all kind. She truly cares about her patients and their success. After two unsuccessful egg retrievals with a previous doctor I had a successful egg retrieval with Dr Akopians that resulted in 6 genetically normal embryos. During our next steps we found that I had polyps and needed surgery, which she preformed. We started again and then found the polyps returned. Although I was skeptical to do the surgery again and anxious to just go ahead with the transfer we did the surgery again as she suggested. After that we transferred two embryos (though Dr Akopians suggested only transferring one to be conservative and see how my body responded to a transfer) She honored our request and transferred two. After a positive pregnancy test, I miscarried at 6 weeks. Devastated, Dr Akopians walked me through our next steps which included a D&C. I remember being so emotional and as the anesthesia kicked in as I laid on the operating table I remember her holding my hand and tears welling in her eyes right along mine... She is a one of a kind doctor, who truly cares! After healing we discussed our next steps which this time we took her advice and transferred one embryo. At our first ultrasound after a positive pregnancy test we found there were two yolk sacs....twins! Although we were all excited she was quick to let us know the risks, including "vanishing twin syndrome". We left the appointment hopeful. Fast forward, we graduated our 12 weeks of care with Dr Akopians and now have healthy identical twin girls. Miracles! Let me conclude by just saying that I drove 4 hours one way to see Dr Akopians in Beverly Hills for every appointment (8 hours total for each appointment) and I did it a second time when we looked to expand our family. We now have a healthy 3 week old baby boy, again because of Dr Akopians. We have since moved out of state, but if we were still in CA I would continue to drive that 8 hours for every appointment for Dr Akopians; that is how phenomenal she is and how much she is worth the investment (time, money, emotion, etc) if you are looking to grow your family, and get the best out of an already stressful experience. I cannot recommend or complement Dr Akopians enough. We are truly grateful to her for making our dreams come true.
When she recommends something, she has a reason. Although time and money may lead you to disagree with her, listen, there is a reason she is recommending it and it is not to make things take longer or cost more. She truly cares and wants to get you the best results as quickly as possible with the least amount of heart-ache.
I CAME TO DR AKOPIANS AFTER WORKING WITH A LOCAL DOCTOR WHO CONTRACTED WITH SCRC'S LAB. MY PREVIOUS DOCTOR HAD ATROCIOUS BED SIDE MANNER AND AFTER GOING THROUGH AN UNEXPECTED ERROR DR AKOPIANS WAS THERE TO 'PICK UP THE BALL AND CARRY IT DOWN FIELD', SO TO SPEAK. SHE WAS SO REASSURING, SO KIND AND SO REAL DURING A VERY DIFFICULT TIME. SHE DID NOT EVER GIVE FALSE HOPE BUT I TRULY FELT SHE CARED.
I cant remember the specific medication, but we started with some of the standard dosages, and found that polyps kept returning. She decided to lower my dosage and it ended up helping the polyps not return as quickly after we had just done a surgery to remove them. She really looks at your specifics and she will alter her strategies to get you the best results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Julia then Sophia)
Julia and Sophia were both amazing! Prompt, thorough, professional, caring.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The clinic is super clean, appointments were very fast, ,I was never left waiting long for my scheduled appointment like some doctor's offices. Everyone was professional, from the nurses at the front desk, to the lab, to your clincial team. I had excellent interactions with everyone I encountered every time.
She preferred to transfer one, but she did transfer two for us as we requested. however it resulted in a miscarriage. For our next transfer we listened to her and only transferred one. God still has a hand in all of this and we ended up with identical twin girls after transferring just one.
Beverly Hills

I originally came in wanting multiple embryos transferred. I was convinced I wanted twins! But Dr Akopians patiently explained the benefits and drawbacks of single vs multiple, especially with PGS testing. In the end we went with a single embryo and it was absolutely the right decision for us...always took the time with me to explain everything in detail, and made sure to communicate regularly. She treated this as a priority and made us feel like she personally cared about our outcome.
The clinic [SCRC] was very accommodating in terms of scheduling appointments with doctors, in addition to all the monitoring required. They opened very early which was great for pre-work appointments. And they also had flexibility and almost always accommodated my schedule requests. I hardly waited to be seen at any appointment. They also have a lab in house which makes things so much more seamless...All four of our retrievals were antagonist treatment. We had success in retrieving exactly the amount of eggs forecasted in ultrasounds and almost all fertilized. We did 2 cycles with HGH and 2 without, to see how it impacted results. We did PGS/PGD testing due to a genetic condition we are both carriers for. In the end we wound up with 41 eggs retrieved, 17 embryos, 7 of which tested normal. We were thrilled with the outcome.
Dr Akopians was everything I could ask for as a patient. She was straightforward about the process, risks, and recommendations. She was very confident and intelligent and immediately upon meeting her, I had faith in her ability to help us to our dream baby. The road was longer than we expected but she was always available to talk and plan our best course of action. She really wanted us to be successful — you could feel that from the care she took with our case. Whenever we needed her, she was fully present. For example, we met to discuss the Frozen Embryo Transfer process and she didn’t rush us, didn’t look at her watch, made us feel like her top priority. I loved that she was so vested in our success, and she led us down the right path.
She’s wonderful, warm and considerate. She is also very straightforward. She will explain all of your treatment options and recommendations. Trust in her because she wants your success as much as you do.
Dr Akopians always took the time with me to explain everything in detail, and made sure to communicate regularly. She treated this as a priority and made us feel like she personally cared about our outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Julia // Sophia)
Julia was a huge part of our experience and a big reason why we were so happy during treatment. She was an excellent communicator and was on top of our schedule, medications, and recommendations. Her compassion and care made her my favorite person, both in and out of treatment. When Julia wasn’t available the rest of the care team was very kind and efficient and made sure we were responded to promptly.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very accommodating in terms of scheduling appointments with doctors, in addition to all the monitoring required. They opened very early which was great for pre-work appointments. And they also had flexibility and almost always accommodated my schedule requests. I hardly waited to be seen at any appointment. They also have a lab in house which makes things so much more seamless.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center.
I was lucky enough to have insurance cover a large portion of my IVF costs. She made sure to discuss overall costs of each treatment plan. She managed them as well as possible so we never felt like we were overpaying.
Beverly Hills

While being a lovely person to talk to I rarely got the chance to speak with her [Dr. Chang] on the phone nor did I ever see her in person during my diagnostic visits. If I wanted to contact Dr Chang and speak with her directly I had to schedule a phone call and it usually was at least a week away. There is no direct line of communication to Dr. Chang. Everything has to go through the clinical team, which half the time I don’t even feel like they answered my questions. Feeling like a number made this process very difficult and isolating for me.
My treatment plan and the thinking behind it was not explained to me [at Southern California Reproductive Center]. I was prescribed Omnitrope which is considered somewhat controversial but helps grow follicles. No idea if it worked as expected or not...I was very disappointed in the treatment I received from the nursing staff. I also didn’t have any contact with them, outside of messages in the portal. This whole process was incredibly difficult to me and I feel like when I reached out to them in times of need their responses fell flat and almost made me feel like I was being the problem. There were several times I asked specific questions and those questions were not answered at all and were ignored.
I have no doubt Dr. Chang is one of the most knowledgeable RE’s in LA. That being said, I found getting information from her was very difficult. I am someone who likes to know all of the details of the medical procedure I’m going through and I felt like I was in the dark the entire time. I didn’t know how many eggs she was expecting to retrieve until the day of surgery, I didn’t know how my follicles and hormone levels were progressing during STIMS, I didn’t know what the STIMS I took were supposed to do to my body. If I ever had a question I had to ask the clinical team in a message and wait for a response. This process is incredibly stressful and the last thing I had energy to do was seek out information. I would have expected with the amount of money I was paying that I would have been given all of this info without having to ask about it. When I chose her as my doctor I was impressed by how knowledgeable she seemed and assumed that meant I would have access to that information while going through this. When in reality I hardly spoke with her or had any contact, as it was just too difficult.
Go into the process knowing you will have zero direct contact with Dr. Chang. If you choose her for your procedure you have to be ok with not knowing details and just trusting the process.
While being a lovely person to talk to I rarely got the chance to speak with her on the phone nor did I ever see her in person during my diagnostic visits. If I wanted to contact Dr Chang and speak with her directly I had to schedule a phone call and it usually was at least a week away. There is no direct line of communication to Dr. Chang. Everything has to go through the clinical team, which half the time I don’t even feel like they answered my questions. Feeling like a number made this process very difficult and isolating for me.
My treatment plan and the thinking behind it was not explained to me. I was prescribed Omnitrope which is considered somewhat controversial but helps grow follicles. No idea if it worked as expected or not.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly and Danielle)
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Clinic is great. Very busy and feels impersonal, but no complaints. The ultrasound tech and the blood draw team were great. I also loved the in-house acupuncturist. They have great covid policies in place that made me feel safe.
Embryo retrieval and fertilization was about $13k. Storage is $700/year. ICSI is $1500, Pre testing $2200, PGTA $3900

2020, Unknown Success
Dr Ghadir was nice. I appreciated his time to give evening phone calls to go over my test results. I did feel like he pushed for IVF and I was just not ready yet. We had been trying for 1 year and I wanted to start off with maybe IUI. I didn't have many interactions with him as I only went to SCRC for consult and testing...He seems to be too positive....he said we had a 20% chance of success with IUI and 80% chance of success with IVF
The billing department [at SCRC] is a mess...They billed my insurance wrong initially, which took forever to correct...Nurses were okay. They didn't really answer any questions...When I switched to my new RE, it took SCRC 3 weeks to send all my test results over. I called, left multiple voicemails at the medical recorder's office and sent emails with no calls or emails back...The office is very busy. The first time I went in for blood work and an ultrasound, I was very confused
Ask alot of questions and do research yourself. He seems to be too positive....he said we had a 20% chance of success with IUI and 80% chance of success with IVF. Other doctors I consulted with after gave a lower percentage of success. Also, I looked up SCRC's SART report and their IVF success rates are not nearly as high as 80%!
I never actually met Dr Ghadir in real life. We had one zoom consult and two phone calls. This review is more for the wait, the rest of the staff I encountered and most importantly, their billing department. The office is very busy. The first time I went in for blood work and an ultrasound, I was very confused. My appointment was for 9:30, and I didn't leave until 11:30am because there was no ultrasound room available. Alot of other people were also waiting. No one explained financials to me or whether or not my insurance covered anything. Good thing I actually called my ins company and verified everything myself. I have infertility coverage for all testing, IUI, and IVF and SCRC is in-network.
we didn't talk specifics because I only went through with consult and testing.
Nurses were okay. They didn't really answer any questions. I was worried because they had found a cyst on one of my ovaries and when they told me the results, they couldn't answer my questions and just kept saying that the Dr will call me in a few days.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The billing department is a mess. If you have insurance, I would stay away. They billed 3 claims to the wrong insurance company (seriously, what's the point of verifying insurance if you can't even verify where to send claims to?) and I ended up with a huge out of pocket cost. Then, they were suppose to retract all 3 claims and rebill them correctly. They retracted only 1 claim and rebilled 3. It took about 20 phone calls between SCRC's billing department, my insurance company and 1.5 months for everything to finally reprocess correctly and resolve. Every insurance rep I spoke with couldn't believe how SCRC had messed up the billing, then not retracting claims, etc. After everything was fixed, instead of owing over $1000, my insurance paid for everything 100% and I had no liability. SCRC also charged us a copay of $25 each for ultrasound+bloodwork, and SA. After my insurance company paid for everything, a insurance representative told me that they are suppose to refund me the $50 since our insurance paid for everything. I am still waiting for the refund... My insurance representative told me that the genetic testing my husband and I had done needed prior authorization. The insurance verifier and the person in billing had no idea (what do they even do all day?!) but took my word for it and said that they would send authorization and retro-date it for the genetic testing we had done. It took 3 weeks for them to send authorization. And guess what? They sent authorization for the WRONG kind of testing. They sent it for PGS testing of embryos! I was livid when I found out---we hadn't even started IVF yet so of course we have no embryos. No one even looked at my files. My new RE sends authorizations in a timely manner (1-2 days, not 3 weeks) and bills my insurance correctly.
It's expensive. They billed my insurance wrong initially, which took forever to correct. But once corrected, my insurance paid for all consults, and testing. I have a $25 copay for all office visits. SCRC charged me $25 for every visit even though it was just labwork. I called my insurance and was told that this is fradulent! Since they are in network with my insurance, and my insurance pays 100% for all labwork, I am not suppose to pay the $25 each visit. I have emailed SCRC about this and am waiting for a refund/answers back.
none
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
When I switched to my new RE, it took SCRC 3 weeks to send all my test results over. I called, left multiple voicemails at the medical recorder's office and sent emails with no calls or emails back. I also requested SCRC to send test results to me so I can have them as a personal copy and am still waiting on that....5 weeks later. When they finally sent all my results over, Dr Ghadir called me and said "when you go to your new clinic, do your research but please ask them what their IVF success rates are because that clinic doesn't have very high success rates" ........anyways, I did do my own research and compared SART reports and they actually have higher IVF success rates at my new clinic than SCRC's success rates.

2020, 4 Eggs Frozen
I went in to freeze my eggs for future use. I had an AMH level of 1.05 which is very low...[Dr. Shahin Ghadir] suggested I do it now and that I not overthink. He said many people with low fertility numbers think about it so long that they sometimes miss their opportunity. At 1st I thought this might be a bit pushy, but it wasn't he was right! I started the process the following week...truly connected with me on a human level.
I was a patient during the pandemic and they [Southern California Reproductive Center] did everything to accommodate their patients, they were incredibly efficient and went above and beyond. I was always in and out in a very timely manner...[nurse] called me to check in on how the hormones were effecting me and would pop in on different blood draws to make me feel comfortable. She also met with me on 2 other occasions when I had questions and was feeling emotional. She made me feel like I was her only patient.
He answered every question I had in detail and made me feel special. I did not feel like just another person walking through his door. I also had a different experience as I was a patient during the Covid Pandemic. His office made me a priority as I had a very low AMH test score. My consultation was over the phone, but at my 1st appointment for blood draws and an ultrasound before starting the egg freezing process he came and met with me to give me more detailed information and congratulate me on taking a leap for my future.
I would say to trust him and the process. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and get your money's worth with every question and piece of advice.
Dr. Gahadir made me feel very comfortable and answered every question I had. He told me about his wifes struggle with infertility and truly connected with me on a human level.
I went in to freeze my eggs for future use. I had an AMH level of 1.05 which is very low at my phone consult he suggested I do it now and that I not overthink. He said many people with low fertility numbers think about it so long that they sometimes miss their opportunity. At 1st I thought this might be a bit pushy, but it wasn't he was right! I started the process the following week. I tlaked to a number of woman who debated freezing their eggs and unfortunately missed their window. I have done 1 round of egg freezing. At the start of the process he hoped I would get 10-15 eggs, but unfortunately my body only dropped 5 eggs. He adjusted my expectations as we moved through the process. During my surgery he was able to collect all 5 eggs I produced and 4 of the eggswere large enough to be frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: GABY!!!!! )
I mainly worked with Gaby in Dr. Gahadir's office and she went above and beyond. She came down to meet me durig\ng my first blood draw and ultrasound. She called me to check in on how the hormones were effecting me and would pop in on different blood draws to make me feel comfortable. She also met with me on 2 other occasions when I had questions and was feeling emotional. She made me feel like I was her only patient. I was so fortunate to have her as my nurse and I look forward to working with her in the future and knowing shes on my side. She truly loves her job and it shows. I also loved so many people in the lab they made me feel so comfortable. I had blood work 3 days a week and never once had bruising. The staff is so gentle! I also loved Maria who worked in the lab area she knew my name after my 1st appointment and was so encouraging. Maria glows when she talks about helping woman acheive their fertility goals. Being in this office actually made me want to work there.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Honestly, I have no complaints about the clinic. I really didn't see any weaknesses. I was a patient during the pandemic and they did everything to accommodate their patients, they were incredibly efficient and went above and beyond. I was always in and out in a very timely manner (like 10-15min), though I have been told that normally you would wait much longer and that times were shorter because of all the restrictions due to Covid-19. My advise would be to use them!!! They are pricy, but I can't put a price on my dreams.
I spent $8,000 on the egg retrieval process which included all appointments in the cycle for my fertility treatment, my surgery and 2 post operation appointments. I paid $3,800 for my medications. My insurance didn't cover anything so this was all out of pocket.

2020, Unknown Success
she [Dr. Akopians] is doing luteal phase estrogen priming for us in order to optimize our changes of quality eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve...advised me on supplements and diet...is warm and understanding. We never feel rushed when speaking with her. We were able to ask all of our questions and she took the time to explain everything thoroughly and in layman's terms...calls me and responds to my emails herself when she feels necessary. She also understands our emotional and financial concerns and came up with a game plan specific to our diagnosis.
Both of the nurses I worked with [at Southern California Reproductive Center] were thorough, kind, compassionate, prompt, organized and knew my case well. When my first cycle had to be postponed due to the pandemic, Julia called me instead of e-mailing. She talked to me for a while and I could tell she was so sad for me. When I restarted, Sophie called me and was so excited to get going and optimistic for me. The compassion is real...we were given a cost/fee sheet with breakdowns of SCRC's fees, the lab's fees, the anesthesiologist fees, testing fees and an estimate of prescription costs.
We love that Dr. Akopians did not try to put us through a "general IVF" plan like prior doctors wanted to do. She was thorough and came up with a plan for our diagnosis. When I looked up the specific course of action, a lot of women only find out about this on their second or third try after failed attempts. So I feel like she is doing everything she can for this to work on the first try.
Since we don't know our final results yet, all I can say is trust her and know that she isn't a "one size fits all" RE.
Dr. Akopians is warm and understanding. We never feel rushed when speaking with her. We were able to ask all of our questions and she took the time to explain everything thoroughly and in layman's terms. Also, since she is with SCRC, we had the opportunity to hear from the lead embryologist as well at one of their free seminars. Dr. Akopians calls me and responds to my emails herself when she feels necessary. She also understands our emotional and financial concerns and came up with a game plan specific to our diagnosis.
We are in cycle now so I have no results to provide at this time. But she is doing luteal phase estrogen priming for us in order to optimize our changes of quality eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve. I have not started stims. I will say, my first start up was cancelled due to Covid-19. However, the doctors office stayed in contact with us about next steps, restarting and completing any necessary tests and other issues in the interim in order to "hit the ground running" once the restrictions were lifted. I didn't feel like I really even missed a beat.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sophie and Julia)
Both of the nurses I worked with were thorough, kind, compassionate, prompt, organized and knew my case well. When my first cycle had to be postponed due to the pandemic, Julia called me instead of e-mailing. She talked to me for a while and I could tell she was so sad for me. When I restarted, Sophie called me and was so excited to get going and optimistic for me. The compassion is real.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
First of all, I think SCRC has an excellent working model. We started with a free seminar which covered all the basics. We got to ask questions and hear from Dr. Akopians, Dr. Barritt (the head embryologist) and the CEO of the company in person. After the seminar, Dr. Akopians advised me on supplements and diet. Once I had my one on one with Dr. Akopians, I felt comfortable right away. Their embryology lab is used by UCLA for research as well. They went over all the ways their lab is one of the best and the care they take at each step with the embryos. The Covid-19 pandemic has forced cancellation of so many cycles. I commiserated with several other women at other clinics. But was surprised to learn quickly that SCRC was communicating with me and continuing to prep me to restart in ways that my friends at other clinics were not experiencing. They were left in the dark with no idea what was happening, but SCRC kept in close contact with me and was honest about what they thought was going to happen. I am so thankful that they did this for me when clearly that wasn't the case elsewhere. I also like that there is an on call nurse on weekends and holidays. As we all know, IVF can't be scheduled like traditional things. I got a positive OPK on Easter Sunday. I was able to reach a nurse right away for next steps. When she wasn't sure, she called Dr. Akopians and got an answer right away (on Easter Sunday). I was blown away at the level of care and access. These people are just passionate about their jobs. They also have a patient care coordinator named Ari, who is just as amazing as the nurses. Responds promptly to any question and is just wonderful.
We are not complete with the process yet. But at the consult we were given a cost/fee sheet with breakdowns of SCRC's fees, the lab's fees, the anesthesiologist fees, testing fees and an estimate of prescription costs. So far it has been very accurate and helpful. I estimate we will have paid around $28k when complete with one cycle (including ICSI, PGS testing, etc).

2020, 32 Eggs Frozen
I was prescribed medications for an egg freezing cycle, and Dr Ghadir was attentive and detail orientated when it came to adjusting my doses depending on how I was feeling and my blood/ultrasound results...He took the time to explain the process to me step by step and listened carefully to my concerns while being honest. From the start of the process he was thoughtful, caring, and positive. His compassion and attentiveness during the entire process made an emotional experience easy to navigate...is a brilliant doctor, yet at times felt more like a friend which was exactly what I needed during this process. He was easy to speak to and I never hesitated to ask him to explain things to me over and over again if I needed. Upon each visit, he let me know what to expect going forward, specifically how I would be feeling mentally and physically.
Gaby, Dr Ghadir's nurse [at Southern California Reproductive Center], made sure to check in with me to see how I was doing during the process. She was extremely helpful and accommodating when it came to scheduling my next appointment, refilling my medications, or answering any questions I had. She was knowledgeable while also compassionate and I appreciated her support during this journey...I appreciated their flexibility during scheduling, especially the fact that they are open super early. I was able to do my labs and ultrasound before work. Wait times were average for doctor's visits and the waiting rooms was clean, comfortable, and spacious.
Dr Ghadir is a brilliant doctor, yet at times felt more like a friend which was exactly what I needed during this process. He was easy to speak to and I never hesitated to ask him to explain things to me over and over again if I needed. Upon each visit, he let me know what to expect going forward, specifically how I would be feeling mentally and physically.
Be honest with him about what you're trying to achieve, and do not be too shy or embarrassed to ask him anything!
The process of freezing my eggs was something I had found overwhelming and confusing before going to see Dr Ghadir. He took the time to explain the process to me step by step and listened carefully to my concerns while being honest. From the start of the process he was thoughtful, caring, and positive. His compassion and attentiveness during the entire process made an emotional experience easy to navigate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Gaby)
Gaby, Dr Ghadir's nurse, made sure to check in with me to see how I was doing during the process. She was extremely helpful and accommodating when it came to scheduling my next appointment, refilling my medications, or answering any questions I had. She was knowledgeable while also compassionate and I appreciated her support during this journey.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
As someone with a demanding job, I appreciated their flexibility during scheduling, especially the fact that they are open super early. I was able to do my labs and ultrasound before work. Wait times were average for doctor's visits and the waiting rooms was clean, comfortable, and spacious.
Beverly Hills
I went through the egg freezing process. I am on my second round now. Dr. Ghadir has been very careful about adjusting my shots and medication as the cycle has progressed...I cannot recommend him more highly. After working with other doctors in the area, it is clear how important it is to have an ally when going through this experience...He’s very thorough, cares deeply about my understanding the risks and outcomes but also positive and supportive to make me feel like I am being cared for with the best In medicine and technology.
Dr. Ghadir and his team [at Southern California Reproductive Center] have always been available and taken care of me with a special touch. They have valued my concerns and have been supportive and helped guide me through each step of the process. Going through this experience, there are always questions that come up along the way and it makes a big difference having people who are giving you 100% of their time and focus.
Dr. Ghadir has been an amazing doctor and guide through a very emotional experience. He’s very thorough, cares deeply about my understanding the risks and outcomes but also positive and supportive to make me feel like I am being cared for with the best In medicine and technology. He spent a lot of time helping me understand the process and has been available for any questions and concerns. I cannot recommend him more highly. After working with other doctors in the area, it is clear how important it is to have an ally when going through this experience.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you have that come up along the way. Dr. Ghadir and his team and nurses are amazing at responding and supporting you. Also communicate what your goals are for the shorter and longer term. You can’t find a better doctor to help you on your fertility journey.
Dr. Ghadir and his team have always been available and taken care of me with a special touch. They have valued my concerns and have been supportive and helped guide me through each step of the process. Going through this experience, there are always questions that come up along the way and it makes a big difference having people who are giving you 100% of their time and focus.
The nurses have been available from day one to answer questions and help me with my medication and visits. They are always available and quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
This strengths of the clinic are that it is very clean, professional, has the best technology, and very efficient. My visits are fast and I never find myself waiting. Parking is very easy and the staff is very friendly. I have no weakness is that I have experienced.

2019, 28 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Ghadir set clear expectations, answered all my questions, and helped me achieve a fantastic result from a medical standpoint. My experience with him was nothing but pleasant. He also recommended a few additional holistic techniques and supplements which I believe helped me achieve optimal results.
If you're paying 100% in cash, SCRC might be right for you. Otherwise, save yourself the headache of having to project manage your claims alongside an already emotionally and physically taxing process. ... There were several times that my insurance coordinator did not answer my calls or emails, resulting in me needing to inform my doctor to nudge the department to give me an answer. The department also refused to respond to messages from my insurance company or HR even though both were proactive in reaching out to fix issues. I was also cheated out of ~$1200 because the billing department coded my surgery incorrectly. When I tried to fix this, I was consistently transferred between departments, none of which accepted responsibility or seemed to be knowledgeable enought to remedy the issue. I eventually decided to cut my losses as I was spending far too much time on this to be worth the money.
My nurse explained concepts and producures well enough if the patient came from a place of limited to no understanding. When I asked more detailed questions though, I did not always receive a sufficient answer. Additionally, I would sometimes receive information throughout the process that I felt I should have received on day 1 or a few weeks earlier.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
DO NOT go to this clinic if your egg freezing is partially or fully subsidized by your employer. They are close to incompetent when it comes to matters of insurance approvals and correct billing. My surgery was delayed 2 weeks due to them not obtaining the proper approvals, even though I let them know on day 1 what was required. There were several times that my insurance coordinator did not answer my calls or emails, resulting in me needing to inform my doctor to nudge the department to give me an answer. The department also refused to respond to messages from my insurance company or HR even though both were proactive in reaching out to fix issues. I was also cheated out of ~$1200 because the billing department coded my surgery incorrectly. When I tried to fix this, I was consistently transferred between departments, none of which accepted responsibility or seemed to be knowledgeable enought to remedy the issue. I eventually decided to cut my losses as I was spending far too much time on this to be worth the money. If you're paying 100% in cash, SCRC might be right for you. Otherwise, save yourself the headache of having to project manage your claims alongside an already emotionally and physically taxing process.
Was supposed to cost $8K but cost more like $10K due to repeated issues with billing and insurance department.
Beverly Hills

I can’t forget the moment he [Dr. Ghadir] called me to let me know that my only one embryo came back from genetic testing healthy and successfully. He was so excited and emotional that I felt I am part of his family and I am very important to him. These are human beings qualities! He is amazingly caring, responsible, friendly, generous, and considerate , respectful. During the hard weeks of waiting to get the tests result of my IVF, he called me even during weekend hours and this is really appreciated. Dr. Ghadir has made me feel I am in safe hands... He helps me feel empowered to battle with my infertility issues. I have got unexpected good result with him while other doctors had made me hopeless. He is truly professional, smart, always kind, and compassionate doctor. He is best fit and I feel so lucky to have found him. He really took me from vulnerable place and made the experience very positive. His integrity and caring for me and others is above and beyond.
I am diagnosed with very low ovarian reserve. I used same protocol [at Southern California Reproductive Center] for two egg retrievals. First time retrieved 4 eggs and formed 1 embryo and 1 passed PGS. Second time 4 eggs retrieved and Nothing passed the PGS...Ari [Care Coordinator] is empathetic to the concerns of their patients and she feels deeply for their patients as they experience the ups and downs associated with infertility journey. She does whatever it takes to help their patients with whatever their health care needs require. She is so affectionate and so devoted. She has excellent communication skills. She makes the process as easy as possible you somehow become part of family. Gabby is a nurse in the office. She is sweet, understanding and caring person. The rest of the staff is supportive, friendly and welcoming.
I had a previous experience with other ferility doctors and the experience with Dr. Shahin Ghadir is absolutely amazing. Now I feel I’m in good hands. I wish I would’ve seen him a lot early. I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Ghadir and his team! Dr. Shahin Ghadir is very competent, extremely knowledgeable and has great bedside manner, which has been such a comfort to me during this difficult, complicated and emotionally draining process. He is humble and a good listener; he cares and understands my concerns and explains diagnosis. I never felt like he was rushed to get done with my appointment. I felt important and that I mattered to him. He is honest, but also he is optimistic and offers hope. He helps me feel empowered to battle with my infertility issues. I have got unexpected good result with him while other doctors had made me hopeless. He is truly professional, smart, always kind, and compassionate doctor. He is best fit and I feel so lucky to have found him. He really took me from vulnerable place and made the experience very positive. His integrity and caring for me and others is above and beyond.
If you have a choice of clinic, save yourself some heartache and start here.
I can’t forget the moment he called me to let me know that my only one embryo came back from genetic testing healthy and successfully. He was so excited and emotional that I felt I am part of his family and I am very important to him. These are human beings qualities! He is amazingly caring, responsible, friendly, generous, and considerate , respectful. During the hard weeks of waiting to get the tests result of my IVF, he called me even during weekend hours and this is really appreciated. Dr. Ghadir has made me feel I am in safe hands.
Gonal- F: 225 IU’s Menopur: 150 IU’s Omnitrope: 25 units Last days: Cetrotide & z pack I didn’t take birth control. I am diagnosed with very low ovarian reserve. I used same protocol for two egg retrievals. First time retrieved 4 eggs and formed 1 embryo and 1 passed PGS. Second time 4 eggs retrieved and Nothing passed the PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Ari)
There is a lady in his office that she is like an angel. Her name is Ari. She is care coordinator. Ari is empathetic to the concerns of their patients and she feels deeply for their patients as they experience the ups and downs associated with infertility journey. She does whatever it takes to help their patients with whatever their health care needs require. She is so affectionate and so devoted. She has excellent communication skills. She makes the process as easy as possible you somehow become part of family. Gabby is a nurse in the office. She is sweet, understanding and caring person. The rest of the staff is supportive, friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The office itself is very nice and high tech. The environment is absolutely welcoming! It is neat and clean. staff are warm, friendly and in good moods. The office Features beautiful view that makes positive distraction.
Beverly Hills

Dr. Danzer is a wonderful mix between compassionate doctor and knowledgeable & experienced professional...He walks the line well between enthusiasm & sober reality of percentages...I appreciate that he’s rather humble...He won’t have time in appointments to explain every detail of all of the ART possibilities, he’ll tell you what he recommends. If there’s something you don’t know, he does a good job of answering questions...
Cost for ultrasounds, IUI & injection drug [at Southern California Reproductive Center] reasonable for the LA area. Less than what my gynecologist quoted me...The lobby is clean & modern. The reception is good...Nice clean bathrooms. It’s not cosy feeling, but it’s clean...nurses are wonderful & front desk staff have done a great job too...Great nursing staff, especially Debbie. She had a great manner & is well organized. Shaterika has been very kind & enthusiastic too. Very mindful of our time. Good Ultasound techs too.
How was your experience with Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Danzer is a wonderful mix between compassionate doctor and knowledgeable & experienced professional. I appreciate his delicate position as a fertility doctor, where there are no absolutes. He walks the line well between enthusiasm & sober reality of percentages. I have been recommending him to friends. I don’t see an egotistical motivation in Dr. Danzer & I appreciate that he’s rather humble & conserves his words.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Read their website info, educate yourself before & during your time in his care. He won’t have time in appointments to explain every detail of all of the ART possibilities, he’ll tell you what he recommends. If there’s something you don’t know, he does a good job of answering questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Danzer does a good job of listening to questions, answering thoughtfully & taking action as he sees fit. I trust his knowledge is very strong & I appreciate his & his nurse’s enthusiasm for our journey. Hi nurses are wonderful & front desk staff have done a great job too.
Describe the protocols Hal Danzer used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Taking Levothyroxine for my Thryroid to get labs in the right place months in advance. Taking Vitamin D supplement & DHEA 75mg daily. IVF recommended, but so far I can’t afford it as a student. Will keep trying to get a loan later after I’ve started a new job. Took Clomid for 5 days & 1 trigger shot, 2-3 transvaginal ultrasounds before IUI. My fiancé had a sperm wash morning of IUI. Only the 1st IUI, I understand many couples do 3-6 generally. So I’m not deterred that we had a negative result. Will keep trying & be receptive to new life.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The lobby is clean & modern. The reception is good. The waiting room music could use some more thought though. I personally can’t stand what I call “depressing piano music.” It’s better when they play chinese flute & meditation music. I know music is so personal, but I find it hard to imagine other people like depressing music while waiting nervously for appointments. All else is good in the clinic. Nice clean bathrooms. It’s not cosy feeling, but it’s clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hal Danzer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Cost for ultrasounds, IUI & injection drug we’re reasonable for the LA area. Less than what my gynecologist quoted me.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
The nurse had an issue with calling in a prescription (not sure if forgot or a technical issue.) but it wasn’t crucial to my treatment. I got it same day after calling in a day later to check on it. That was 1 time of many prescriptions that were done on time, so it doesn’t bother me.
Hal Danzer
Beverly Hills

Brilliant, clever, and truly cares about each of her patients. Her [Dr. Alexander] energy is contagious but she never creates a false sense of guarantee (which I appreciate). She’s direct and professional but kind. When you are sitting with her, you know she is focused on tailoring your treatment. She always called right away with results, even from her personal cell while she was on vacation.
I was impressed with how streamlined it was. Most of the time I’d be stopped in the hall and addressed by name by techs to let me know my ultrasound room was open or that they were ready to do my blood work (skipping having to go back outside to wait again). My appointments always ran on time. ... SCRC is pretty consistent with their pattern and you eventually pick up on it.
Brilliant, clever, and truly cares about each of her patients. Her energy is contagious but she never creates a false sense of guarantee (which I appreciate). She’s direct and professional but kind. When you are sitting with her, you know she is focused on tailoring your treatment. She always called right away with results, even from her personal cell while she was on vacation. She even texted us a few times with real time updates when she knew we were really anxious. My husband and I are so thankful for Dr. Alexander. She goes above and beyond for each of her patients.
I think this goes for any doctor, but make sure you ask questions. You can see her mind is running a mile a minute to figure out the best plan for you so she doesn’t always explain every detail upfront and occasionally it was unclear what the next step was. Just ask and she’ll go through everything until you are comfortable and at ease.
You can tell Dr. Alexander loves what she does and cares a lot about each of her patients. I never once had to remind her of any details about our case. I’ve never had a doctor like that. She’s also the only doctor you see walking back and forth through the halls. When available, she’ll try to go in to your ultrasound or at a minimum stop you in the hall to say hi and see how you are feeling.
For my 2 IUI’s, I took Metformin, Letrozole, Gonal F, and Estrace. I was having a poor reaction to vaginal progesterone and she was going to switch me to injections and had me come in for an early pregnancy test before making the switch. Unfortunately it was negative so we didn’t proceed and I at least got to end the failed round a few days early. I appreciate that she’s aggressive when she needs to be. For my first IVF, I took Metformin, Gonal F, Menopur, Omnitrope, Cabergoline, Doxycycline, Ganirelex, Novarel, and Lupron. She also had me on a bunch of vitamins. We then switched to Follistim for my second round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nathalie & Valerie)
My main points of contact were Nathalie and Valerie, who were always quick to respond. They typically responded within an hour and at the most by end of day. We communicated through email except for when she would call with results or next steps. Everyone I encountered at SCRC was so helpful.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
I think one of the biggest benefits that is often overlooked is that SCRC has its own lab. We learned during the process how important that is. The office is really nice and you can tell you are at a place with the most up to date equipment and technology. The clinic is busy because there are many doctors but that never bothered me. I was impressed with how streamlined it was. Most of the time I’d be stopped in the hall and addressed by name by techs to let me know my ultrasound room was open or that they were ready to do my blood work (skipping having to go back outside to wait again). My appointments always ran on time. I think for anyone new to the process it’s a little tough to understand the rhythm of your treatment in the beginning. SCRC is pretty consistent with their pattern and you eventually pick up on it. You’re in their frequently for labs/ultrasounds at your cycle start and get called with results/next steps by Dr. Alexander or sometimes your nurse. Visits become more and more frequent (sometimes daily) as you get close to ovulation/triggering. If you have questions you couldn’t think of at the time of the call, just explain them in an email and your nurse will discuss with the doctor and get you a response. If it’s more complex, just request to talk to the doctor on the phone or set up a separate appointment with the doctor.
IVF retrieval was between $20,000-$25,000, which included ICSI and PGS testing.
Dr. Alexander knew my personality well and knew I wanted to maximize the opportunity for a transfer to work. For this reason, we did an ERA before doing FET. We transferred 1 embryo.
Beverly Hills

I feel I was treated like a human due to the time and effort she [Dr. Akopians] and her staff [SCRC] has taken to help me through the process. I work in the medical field and I tend to ask many questions. ... She provided me with data and additional process facts that helped educate and reassure me. She gave me a sense of comfort due to her communication, reassurance, empathy and her confidence.
They [SCRC] should improve their check out process were you typically pay your fees. More privacy should be created for this check out process. The semen collection rooms are near public areas were there is a lot of traffic. They are currently expanding to make more rooms and allow more privacy and quiet environment outside the semen collection rooms
Dr. Akopians quickly assessed my anxiety and need for control at the beginning of my IVF process. She took time to explain each detail. She wrote steps down for me so I could focus on listening but also having note to reference later. I pride myself in being organized and detail oriented so her notes were wonderful for me. She was patient with all my questions that constantly diverted the conversation. She provided me with data and additional process facts that helped educate and reassure me. She gave me a sense of comfort due to her communication, reassurance, empathy and her confidence. Her ability to make me feel at ease and confident in her abilities has been essential.
She is accessible in person if you like that type constant interaction. If you’re like me I didn’t see her in person very often but I spoke with her over phone calls which worked well with my lifestyle.
I feel I was treated like a human due to the time and effort she and her staff has taken to help me through the process. I work in the medical field and I tend to ask many questions. The communication that Dr. Akopians and her staff have provided me has exceeded my expectations. They have provided me with the quality time I have needed to go through each step.
Due to the know low sperm count and motility my husband had she had him take medication to increase his quantity and motility. Due to all our infectious disease labs being expired we had to re do them. We had sperm frozen in another facility. Dr. Akopians asked us to transfer it to her facility as backup for our process. Due to our sperm ICSI was recommended and used. Due to our sperm it was recommended to use an embryo scope to reduce the amount of times the embryos are manipulated to give them a higher chance to do well. We used the embryo scope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Julia Fletcher)
I absolutely love the nurse assigned to me. As I’ve mentioned I ask a lot of questions. I like to know all my facts and opinions. I would email the nurse daily or even multiple times a day. I felt bad for emailing and calling so often but she reassured me that that is why she was there to help. She is extremely caring and reassuring. Her patients to walk me through all my injections questions and nervous was incredible.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
There are always a lot of patients but they have a fast well organized process that gets all patients in and out in a timely organized manner. They should improve their check out process were you typically pay your fees. More privacy should be created for this check out process. The semen collection rooms are near public areas were there is a lot of traffic. They are currently expanding to make more rooms and allow more privacy and quiet environment outside the semen collection rooms
Consultation $275. Transvaginal US $230. Labs:Assay of Estradiol $85, FSH $85, Lh $85, assay thyroid stim hormone $85, venipuncture $30. Embryo freeze all: Cycle management fee $715, monitoring $3140, retrieval $2440. Frozen Embryo transfer: cycle management fee $715, monitoring $1590, embryo transfer $1065. Had to pay other fees for the surgery center and for the cryobank facility.
Due to our specific scenario and factors only one embryo will be transferred. Dr. Akopians made it sound like all other scenarios also only one embryo is encouraged to increase the transplant success rate. Ever couples scenario is unique.
Beverly Hills

I wanted a doctor who was going to coddle me enough but also treat me with respect during this hard time. Dr. Akopains was a lot of that and more. She is incredible, hands on, explained everything/broke everything down, incredibly kind, patient, caring, gentle but stern when necessary...I love everything about her. I was so sad to graduate...Omintrope 25 cc - for egg quality...Mock ERA cycle - to up my odds for an embryo to stick during transfer. Saline ultrasound Transfer cycle: Birth control. Lupron injections. Estrace orally Endometrin Medrol Progesterone in oil 1ML
SCRC is LARGE! Sometimes it is hard to not feel a little lost. With Surrey's team, I felt like a number. With Dr. Akopains team, because of the care and one on one time spent, I felt cared for. However, SCRC is one of the best for the reason. All the techs, embryologists, etc. were great...SHE [nurse] WAS THE BEST!!!! So caring, kind, compassionate, personable, educated, helpful...During my time with Dr. Surrey...the nurse gave me the wrong information about my embryo results after the genetic testing. She read the results wrong and gave them to me directly . Surrey called to correct them later.
I came from working with Dr. Surrey who had the worse bed side manner. I wanted a doctor who was going to coddle me enough but also treat me with respect during this hard time. Dr. Akopains was a lot of that and more. She is incredible, hands on, explained everything/broke everything down, incredibly kind, patient, caring, gentle but stern when necessary...I love everything about her. I was so sad to graduate.
Ask questions...she will answer it all!
I came from working with Dr. Surrey who treated me like a number. Dr. Akopains was incredible, hands on, explained everything/broke everything down, incredibly kind, patient, caring, gently but stern when necessary...I love everything about her.
IVF egg retrieval: Birth control. Followed by: Gonal F 200 units Menopur 75 units Omintrope 25 cc - for egg quality Cetrotide Trigger shot (don't recall the name) Mock ERA cycle - to up my odds for an embryo to stick during transfer. Saline ultrasound Transfer cycle: Birth control. Lupron injections. Estrace orally Endometrin Medrol Progesterone in oil 1ML
SHE WAS THE BEST!!!! So caring, kind, compassionate, personable, educated, helpful.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Insurance did not cover anything. I do not know the exact number but it was somewhere between $20-25k including freezing, genetic testing, procedures, medications, etc.
We did the mock ERA cycle for this reason. I did not have many embryos and we did not want to take the risk of losing any.
Beverly Hills

Expect [Dr. Carolyn Alexander] to be blunt, but kind. Don't expect to get a lot of her time and expect to need to call and follow up over and over...it's very hard to get time with her so for some, that's not ideal. She did call me one time on a Sunday which was very nice of her, so she will contact you outside of business hours, but the call with be to the point and not a second wasted before she's saying bye...I did two medicated IUI's back to back. I was put on letrozole with a trigger shot to induce ovulation, then progesterone suppositories during my luteal phase. I'm happy with the treatment used in the IUI, my only point of upset is my progesterone was never tested, neither before the IUI's nor during or after, and months later we found out my body wasn't responding to that progesterone dose. Had they tested my progesterone we could've found that out way earlier. I did not get pregnant with either IUI.
The SCRC Clinic is always PACKED and the time you have scheduled with the doctors is timed down to the second...I did two medicated IUI's back to back. I was put on letrozole with a trigger shot to induce ovulation, then progesterone suppositories during my luteal phase. I'm happy with the treatment used in the IUI, my only point of upset is my progesterone was never tested, neither before the IUI's nor during or after, and months later we found out my body wasn't responding to that progesterone dose. Had they tested my progesterone we could've found that out way earlier. I did not get pregnant with either IUI.
Carolyn Alexander really does care about her patients, about that I have no doubt. I do think though that since the clinic overall is overloaded, it reduces her ability to spend quality time with patients. Communication with her is short, to the point, and over within a matter of minutes.
Expect her to be blunt, but kind. Don't expect to get a lot of her time and expect to need to call and follow up over and over. She is supposedly one of the best in the LA area, but it's very hard to get time with her so for some, that's not ideal. She did call me one time on a Sunday which was very nice of her, so she will contact you outside of business hours, but the call with be to the point and not a second wasted before she's saying bye.
The SCRC Clinic is always PACKED and the time you have scheduled with the doctors is timed down to the second. While you are with her, she is really nice, but you can tell that she has other patients to see. Phones will be ringing and she'll answer "on my way" or something similar during our appointment, so I don't really feel like I have time to even think about possible questions.
The nursing staff is great! I feel like because they know Dr. Alexander and other doctors at this clinic are so busy, a lot of the questions/feedback/discussions fall on the nurses. They were always very pleasant and sweet and I never felt rushed by them. The only complaint I have and this is about SCRC in general, nurses included, is they give you very little direction of what the next steps are. For example if you come in for an ultrasound and bloodwork, they will do the ultrasound and then say thanks have a good day, without telling you to do bloodwork next. I always have to go to the front desk to ask. Same if you go to do bloodwork first, I will then have to go to the desk to ask if there's anything else I need to do. The communication between each department is severely lacking.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Strength - supposedly one of the best clinics in LA. I have yet to get pregnant, so I can't attest to that just yet. Weaknesses - they take on WAY too many clients and I do feel like it's about money and seeing as many people as they can. People put up with this though because of their supposed high success rates. If you become a patient here, keep notes of every call, meeting, bloodwork appointment. There will be many conversations that are detailed, technical, and since SCRC is so busy, they also will forget some things you need to do. I have had to initiate appointments before, initiate bloodwork, and it would be nice to not have to think about those things myself. Ultimately this is your fertility journey so regardless of how attentive a doctor or clinic is, you should be the one in the drivers seat keeping track of everything. Create a spreadsheet!
The IUI's were roughly $800 and ultrasounds were $250. Bloodwork was in the few hundreds as well and each ultrasound and bloodwork were done multiple times a month each month. A consultation appointment with Dr. Alexander was $200 just to say "yes" we are doing IVF even though we were already decided and told the clinic we were decided. We have spent roughly $3,000 for two IUI's and no pregnancies.
We had our consultation for IVF this week so this is the only experience and insight I have on her approach. She shared that after retrieving the eggs, after doing genetic testing, after seeing how many make it to the 5-day stage etc. then we would need to decide if we want to implant one or two embryos. There were no further comments, but it did seem like it was an option she would openly discuss when that time comes.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
I have had to follow up about my bloodwork results and I have had to call SCRC multiple times to get a prescription called in. This all ties back to them being super busy and taking on too many clients, in my opinion. It's not for a lack of care because they do, it's that they simply don't have enough time in the day.