Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
751 North Rutledge Street
Springfield, IL 62702
217.545.2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Southern Illinois University to a friend?

6.7

6.8

2 doctors
This clinic [Southern Illinois University] thrives on the fact that they are the only RE in the city. I get the feeling that they don't know when to say 'no' to taking on new patients when they're already so busy. Their office feels like a dungeon, and is hard to find. I also noticed minimal staffing... the waiting room was full. I mean, literally no more chairs to sit in type of full. We waited almost 3 hours to be taken back to an exam room for the consult.
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
This clinic thrives on the fact that they are the only RE in the city. I get the feeling that they don't know when to say 'no' to taking on new patients when they're already so busy. Their office feels like a dungeon, and is hard to find. I also noticed minimal staffing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University?
When we went in for the consultation, the waiting room was full. I mean, literally no more chairs to sit in type of full. We waited almost 3 hours to be taken back to an exam room for the consult. Then we waited another 15-30 minutes for the Dr. to come in, talk to us for 5 minutes, then leave.
The one nurse I did interact with was who took me back to the exam room for the consult. She reviewed the history & physical form I had already filled out, but was pretty abrasive when asking about previous miscarriages/pregnancies. I only spoke with her for about 5 minutes.
How was your experience with J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University?
We waited 3 hours to see this physician. When the Dr. came in the room, he was rude, showed no compassion, and dismissed my concerns. I had to fight back tears during the consult-it was that bad. He went ahead and ordered baseline workup labs for myself and my husband, but told us we pretty much weren't doing anything right in regards to timing and frequency during the ovulation phase, and to 'just keep trying' but add back in the OPKs. He didn't think anything was wrong. I left there in tears, and immediately made a consult with a different physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University?
Read the reviews! And talk to anyone you may know who has seen him. I wish I would have listened to the people I talked to, and saved myself the upset.
Describe the protocols J. Ricardo Loret de Mola used in your cycles at Southern Illinois University and their degree of success.
Only had consultation with this Dr. No treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University.
I only paid like $50 out of pocket after insurance for the consult. Most, if not all of the labs were covered under insurance.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
We did have a miscommunication early on where it appeared information had not been passed on to the doctor. We had communicated our choice in starting IVF vs injectable IUI, when going for our next appointment we anticipated protocols and calendars however Doc did not appear to know our decision and we felt it was a bit of a wasted appointment....The staff [at SIU] would greet me and my husband by first name, they were familiar with me and my history without accessing the chart which made me feel very well cared for...
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
We did have some bumps in the beginning just getting settled and a plan of action set, but after that it was really smooth sailing. Everything is well communicated and they are extremely quick to respond using their app. The waiting room leaves some to be desired as the TV gets no clear channels and there is a somewhat lack of privacy due to the proximity of the lab area.
The staff would greet me and my husband by first name, they were familiar with me and my history without accessing the chart which made me feel very well cared for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern Illinois University. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
The staff was incredible. Mayjan (office manager) went above and beyond to help us get old records, set up extra appointments and navigate the cost. The nurses are all fantastic and caring and I have no complaints. Amber was also great, she is a wonderful phlebotomist and really puts you at ease during your appointments.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
LDM is extremely blunt, honest, and to the point. However that does not mean he lacks in compassion whatsoever. Our first appointment he sat down on the table next to me and apologized for the experience I had with a previous RE. He was honest about why he felt our previous course of treatments were wrong but also explained what he felt he could do to help us. When I had a med error and had to call for the on call nurse, it was actually him. He was so kind and could tell I was upset, even though it was late he stayed on the phone talking me down and reassuring me that everything was going to be okay. He remembers special details about my life and is always sure to ask about things.
Be prepared for his bluntness, it does not mean he is heartless or does not care. He just doesn’t sugar coat, which while harsh- is exactly what you need when navigating infertility.
I first had an HSG which my previous RE had refused to do. We had also previously been told my husband had extremely low count, after rechecking multiple times, he told us that was incorrect and like due to lab errors. I did IVF with Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, Medrol, Doxycycline, PIO. No med adjustments were made throughout stimulation.
IVF Cash package price $9500 Meds $6700 Mock Transfer and SIS $1200 FDA labs $1100
Describe J. Ricardo Loret de Mola's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern Illinois University.
He has a very strong stance on single embryo transfer. We did end up transfering 2 ( per Jim the embryologist) due to fragmentation.
Springfield

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with J. Ricardo Loret de Mola at Southern Illinois University.

2013 - 2018
just continual bad luck [at Southern Illinois University]. Six embryos, four transfers and no baby. We are looking elsewhere...A fresh cycle of IVF was about $10,000 plus meds $5-6,000. Every FET was $4,000 plus meds $1,500-2000... It's weakness is that there is only one doctor and one embryologist. So there is no team experience. What they think is what they do. I would prefer to have a bigger clinic next time.
2013 - 2018
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
It's a good clinic in the central IL area. It has better statistics than the dr's in Peoria which is why we choose to drive the hour and a half to come here. It's weakness is that there is only one doctor and one embryologist. So there is no team experience. What they think is what they do. I would prefer to have a bigger clinic next time.
He does a very good job of reaching you on your level. He will sit and talk/explain until you have an understanding. Also what stood out-he gave a hug or touched your hand during the hard times.
Their staff has gone through so many changes! Over our year of treatment the nurses, aids and ultrasound techs all changed. The one constant was Mayjen. She coordinated everything at the desk and knew what was going on and how to help you.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
Dr. LDM gave us our twins in 2014. We only had two embryos from our retrieval so we transferred both. We were due with a boy and a girl but unfortunately they came early at 23 weeks. We lost our daughter after 17 hours but now our son turned 4 and we have been trying for the last 3 years to give him another sibling. We had no doubt that returning to SIU for another cycle of IVF would do the trick. We did a fresh cycle/transfer and had six embryos. We were so excited - but over a years time not one of those six embryos and 4 transfers later turned into a successful pregnancy. We had one miscarriage but all the rest were failed transfers. After all this he said we could "try again" but did not mention what to do differently or how we could increase our odds. Just try again doing the same thing that resulted in six lost embryos and a year of our time. Needless to say we are not returning but now looking for a new clinic with a different approach. We did have success our first round and I also know a handful of women who had successful pregnancies with him as well.
Do labs and ultrasounds early in the morning! Less wait time then. :)
Because of our previous history with 23 week twins, we did eSET for the first three transfers in 2017/8. And then for our last transfer we put in two because there were only two embryos left and our history of failed transfers. Again, it didn't work.

Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
I was not at all confident in the nursing staff [at SIU]. I had a lot of trouble with the nurse not calling me back even if I left multiple messages. I also had an issue with the nurse scheduling my HSG without verifying that the insurance will cover the procedure. I do not know if this was a breakdown in communication between the insurance personnel and the nurse or what, but I have the procedure done and then got a denial from the insurance company AFTER I have the procedure. I am not confident in the nursing staff to refer a friend to this facility.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
The clinic is attached to a hospital. It is a teaching facility, which I am pro teaching as I have been a healthcare student. The staff gradually improved, but I did have to send a letter to Quality Management before I saw an improvement. The Embryologist was the QM and I had to refer to him multiple time during my treatment to get questions answered or to get a call back. The improvements continued with the addition of a PA. I felt trapped into staying with the facility since there is no other close choices. I live in Woodson, IL and the other two options I found where Chicago (4 hr) and St. Louis (2 hr) from my residence.
I had a lot of trouble with the clinical staff more than once I was able to see Dr. Loret de Mola.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern Illinois University. (Assigned nurse: Tara)
I was not at all confident in the nursing staff. I had a lot of trouble with the nurse not calling me back even if I left multiple messages. I also had an issue with the nurse scheduling my HSG without verifying that the insurance will cover the procedure. I do not know if this was a breakdown in communication between the insurance personnel and the nurse or what, but I have the procedure done and then got a denial from the insurance company AFTER I have the procedure. I am not confident in the nursing staff to refer a friend to this facility.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
I liked Dr. Loret de Mola. My experiences with the clinic as a whole would deter me from recommending him to anyone. I had multiple problems with others. I felt he was very educated and had a great bedside manner. I just needed more time to understand the process because I do have a healthcare background. There was just not enough time to explain things to me as I needed them explained and other than the appointment times, I could not get questions answered by Doctor or other staff. See staff/nurse comments. I will say that things did get better once a PA was added to the staff.
Have your questions written out and make sure you are able to ask them at appointments because you may not get another chance to ask them.
I had dysfunctional/occluded tubes (Hydrosalpinx dx) and had to have them removed before I could even start IVF procedures. Hydrosalpinx tube contain embryo toxic fluid. Once removed I started meds for egg retrieval, folicle and blood level monitoring, and had egg retrieval. I only had 3 eggs (1 mature and 2 immature). They fertilized the only mature egg and implanted 2 days later. The procedure was unsuccessful.
There was an IVF "package" of $9500, Egg Donor/Surrogacy/Donor Clinic are extra, Genetic Testing Facility are extra, Embryo Bx are extra, Meds are extra, ect. We spent close to $20,000.00 and I only produced 1 mature egg that was not even optimal. I was told there was no indication by my blood work that would indicate the results I got. If we can raise the funds to try again, I will have to have an egg donor which will increase our costs $14,000-$20,000 more.
I did not have multiple embryos, so this does not pertain to me.

2010 - 2014
You may have a wait [at SUI] before no being able to get an appt. If needing IVF, then you may have another wait once you are put on th IVF calendar...[Nurse] Holly did all of my ultrasounds (except Dr. Lower Dr Mola did one on a Sunday which was the day before retrieval). She was always very good and easy to talk to. The nurse practitioner did our IUI and went over consents and information before IVF...Staff was personable..We did have insurance coverage, but still spent approximately $10,000 over the years with our appts, treatments, and medications.
2010 - 2014
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
You may have a wait before no being able to get an appt. If needing IVF, then you may have another wait once you are put on th IVF calendar. Don't be afraid of needles, because you will be stuck a lot. It's all worth it.
Staff was personable, he always answered my questions.
He didn't try to sugar coat things, recommended treatment but allowed us to make decisions for ourselves. We achieved the results we were hoping for within an acceptable time frame. He personally called to let us know our beta was positive.
Go into it with an open mind. Write down questions you may have before seeing him.
He recommended that we move straight to IVF due to my husband's diagnosis. Because our first was conceived after my husband having surgery, he hoped we would get lucky again. My husband insisted we try one IUI. He allowed us to do just that with clomid and an Ovidrel trigger. When it wasn't successful, we moved on to IVF with icsi. Due to my diminished ovarian reserve, he told me he was expecting around 5 eggs at harvest. I stimmed with follistim, menopur, and ganarelix. My trigger was 2 Ovidrel. I took Doxy after retrieval, and then doxy and prednisone after transfer. My beta was 15 days after retrieval. I had multiple blood draws and ultrasounds during swimming to monitor my progress.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor
Embryologist [at Southern Illinois University] recommended eset based on healthy embryos and no prior losses...Most people at the clinic were very kind and knew us by name...Communication [from nurses] is horrible. Never call you back. You can get through on the their app, but wouldn’t always get a timely response...Forgot to send in medication twice...They offered a cash of price of $11000 for a full cycle...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
Need more information available (sample calendar), more specific on amount of meds required, etc. a consultation room would be nice so patients aren’t always sitting on a bed waiting to have a quick conversation with the doctor. Also phone consultation would be nice.
Most people at the clinic were very kind and knew us by name.
Communication is horrible. Never call you back. You can get through on the their app, but wouldn’t always get a timely response.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
He takes time to explain things to you, and will answer your questions. But if I didn’t arrive already educated, I might not get all the information. He does seem to care and is compassionate, but it doesn’t always come off that way. He can sometimes seem cold and clinical.
Come prepared with questions after doing your own research.
Agonist protocol, menopur and follitism for about 14 days the first cycle and 11 days the second cycle. Didn’t have a great response, but moved forward with ovidrel trigger anyways. Used Medrol to prep for transfer and day 5 transfer.
We had good insurance coverage. Paid $6000 per cycle for medication out of pocket and about $6000 for procedures. They offered a cash of price of $11000 for a full cycle.
Embryologist recommended eset based on healthy embryos and no prior losses.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
All of the nurses I have seen so far [at Southern Illinois University] are amazing. They all were helpful in answering questions and being empathetic to the situation...The IVF package is $9500 plus medications. Not everything is included in the package, but everything that we need is included...The biggest strength is their communication and compassion. I’ve had previous doctors who made me feel like I was just a number, but this clinic is very willing to help me with anything and everything.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
He was very honest upfront by telling us to skip IUI and go straight to IVF. He took the time to explain his reasoning but was still upfront with his recommendation.
All of the nurses I have seen so far are amazing. They all were helpful in answering questions and being empathetic to the situation.
He is very blunt and direct which is appreciated. I didn’t feel like I was just another patient. He looked over our labs and told me what he thought was best because of my low egg reserve. He comforted me and was willing to answer any and all questions.
He’s direct so be aware of that. He doesn’t beat around the bush, but he still is very empathetic.
He told us that we should skip IUIs and move straight to IVF because of my low AMH. We are in the beginning stages of IVF, but I trust his reasoning more than previous doctors. Regardless of the results, I feel more comfortable with him than anyone else.

2015 - 2019
Anovulation, Unexplained
This clinic [Southern Illinois University] treats you as family. They see you so frequently, know you by name, and make you feel so comfortable with each appointment. The only major weakness is a lack of communication. I often felt very left in the dark. I would often have many questions left unanswered - when to fill prescriptions, when to come in for appointments, why hasn’t my lab been scheduled yet, when can I start a new cycle, etc. I think they have so many patients that they may lose track of who has knowledge of each process and procedure already and who does not.
2015 - 2019
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
This clinic treats you as family. They see you so frequently, know you by name, and make you feel so comfortable with each appointment. The only major weakness is a lack of communication. I often felt very left in the dark. I would often have many questions left unanswered - when to fill prescriptions, when to come in for appointments, why hasn’t my lab been scheduled yet, when can I start a new cycle, etc. I think they have so many patients that they may lose track of who has knowledge of each process and procedure already and who does not.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
Dr. Loret de Mole is very thorough. He is kind, compassionate, and very knowledgeable in his field. He has given me the greatest blessing, my daughter. When in the midst of treatments they discovers irregular ovarian cysts, he held my hands and reassured me despite having to tell me that there was a chance for cancer. He genuinely cares for his patients and you can tell he loves that he is helping families grow.
Ask questions.
Doctor urged me to transfer only one embryo during both our fresh and frozen transfers. I trusted his expertise. I regret not transferring two during the frozen transfer as I miscarried our single embryo.

2012 - 2015
The weakness [of the SIU clinic] is the time to get an appointment. Another weakness is that there wasn't a patient advocate to give you their real life experience of going through the process. I am an attorney so I need details and am very organized. Before the clinic started secure emailing details it was difficult to take institutions over the phone...
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
The weakness is the time to get an appointment. Another weakness is that there wasn't a patient advocate to give you their real life experience of going through the process. I am an attorney so I need details and am very organized. Before the clinic started secure emailing details it was difficult to take institutions over the phone.
He was very personable. When I learned that there were some issues with a pregnancy and the OB wasn't personable, he called me. When I wanted to give up and move to a donor egg he said to try PGS because he thought it would work.
He is very respectful and detailed. He is personable. He is frank. It mattered to me that my physican was also spiritual and I learned he was by the fact that he was going to mass after he finished doing monitoring during a Sunday visit I had to the clinic.
He is frank and it's hard to get an appointment because he is the only doctor in town.
Health insurance coverage

IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Always answered my questions in a timely manner. Being able to go to some of my appointments in Champaign was very helpful. They [SIU] made me feel like a person instead of a number. I felt Like they were rooting for me just as much as i was....[Nursing staff] Very compassionate & optimistic...He [Dr. J. Ricardo Loret de Mola] always explained everything in a way that I could understand....My insurance covered about half
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
Always answered my questions in a timely manner. Being able to go to some of my appointments in Champaign was very helpful. They made me feel like a person instead of a number. I felt Like they were rooting for me just as much as i was.
He was very caring and took the time to explain every step.
Very compassionate & optimistic
He always explained everything in a way that I could understand. He was very optimistic making the journey much more relaxed, which I attrIbute to one of the reasons that I was able to get pregnant. He was kind and compassionate.
Don’t judge a book by its cover.
I took the daily shots & clomid
My insurance covered about half
Transferred 2 for a higher chance. 1 was successful

2013 - 2015
The nurses were very kind and helpful. I felt like I grew to know each nurse with my time spent at SIU clinic. If I had any questions, big or small, they always got an answer back to me...Dr. Loret de Mola's office was always available. Nights and weekends I was provided with an after hours number in case I had a question or problem. A majority of the time it was Dr. Loret de Mola himself that returned the call. He's very involved in each patient's treatment.
2013 - 2015
Great! Explained everything thoroughly.

2011 - 2014
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He [Dr. Loret de Mola] had a great bedside manner and really cared for me as a person....Everyone [at SIU Fertility] was very helpful and showed compassion.
2011 - 2014
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Southern Illinois University.
Everyone was very helpful and showed compassion
He had a great bedside manner and really cared for me as a person.
What specific things went wrong at Southern Illinois University?
Be open and ask questions