905 San Ramon Valley Blvd
Mountain View (closed)
2490 Hospital Dr
Mountain View, CA 94040

2018 - 2020, Successful
What we appreciated the most was Dr Tran's direct, confident and no fluff demeanor. Often times, he was more confident in a positive outcome than we were which is what I would want with my fertility doctor. We did experience 1 miscarriage with an IUI cycle which Dr Tran showed a nice balance of compassion and yet still a focus on the path forward...If you want a personalized, down to business, direct and a results driven outcome, then Dr Tran is who you'd want to see.
[Spring Fertility's] strengths: medical staff, knowledge of the co-founding doctors, the nursing staff and nurse practitioner are also all great, inviting, organized, clean, resourceful as they have medications on hand if you need it in an emergency sense...If I had one critique, it would be with the financial coordinator who didn't always know the answers to some pretty simple questions I had regarding mediation cost and wasn't always prompt in communication response.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
We couldn't be happier as patients of Dr Tran. We saw him at Spring in 2018 when the clinic was still growing and again at the end of 2019 when the clinic had grown exponentially but we experienced the same level of care from Dr Tran. What we appreciated the most was Dr Tran's direct, confident and no fluff demeanor. Often times, he was more confident in a positive outcome than we were which is what I would want with my fertility doctor. We did experience 1 miscarriage with an IUI cycle which Dr Tran showed a nice balance of compassion and yet still a focus on the path forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
If you want a fertility doctor who is going to hold your hand, provide some fluffiness to your consults and consultations with a pair of rosy glasses on, this is not the doctor for you. If you want a personalized, down to business, direct and a results driven outcome, then Dr Tran is who you'd want to see.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
We've been a patient of Dr Tran's for 2 separate treatment cycles and have always felt like our consults and treatment conversations were personalized. He was always available for questions and concerns outside of appointment times.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Walking into the clinic, I thought for sure we would be doing IVF but after our consultation, ultrasound and fertility vitals, Dr Tran recommended that we start with IUI first since the more %s of increase in chances of being pregnant with IVF vs IUI wasn't worth the exponential extra cost of IVF. For our first treatment cycle, we did two rounds of IUIs. The first round resulted in a miscarriage at 5.5 weeks and the second round results in my now healthy toddler. For our second treatment cycle which was 10 months after giving birth, we did two rounds of IUI. The first round didn't take and the second round resulted in twins which I am currently in the third trimester of.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
I worked with multiple nurses at Spring Fertility and all were very responsive and helpful. I hardly ever had to stress about communication or to knowing answers to questions I had during my treatment. I only had 1 confusing situation/encounters which was caused by miscommunication with one of the medical assistants but cleared up with Dr Tran. If I had one critique, it would be with the financial coordinator who didn't always know the answers to some pretty simple questions I had regarding mediation cost and wasn't always prompt in communication response.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Clinic strengths: medical staff, knowledge of the co-founding doctors, the nursing staff and nurse practitioner are also all great, inviting, organized, clean, resourceful as they have medications on hand if you need it in an emergency sense. Weakness: communication with the financial coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.
The initial consult was out of pocket which was reasonable. My first two IUI cycles were covered by work and we paid out of pocket for the 2nd two IUI cycles which we found was reasonable as well.
San Francisco
Dr. Tran reviewed our results and agreed that IVF with ICSI was our best path forward. Because my results were all within standard range, he said our chances were relatively high, comparatively -- about 60% chance of conception per cycle. I was put on Menopur and Gonal-F to prepare for the retrieval, and we were able to stay the course without making changes to the protocol as the eggs were progressing as expected...strongly recommended single embryo transfer, and given my age and the risks, I was happy with this approach.
We used ICSI and they grew the embryos to day 6 [at Spring Fertility]. Only two made it to day 6, both of which we chose to send for PGS testing. One came back as normal, the other was "inconclusive." We would have been allowed to either re-test the inconclusive embryo or transfer it without further testing...I was very happy with my primary nurse. She was communicative and extremely helpful when we had some trouble with insurance timing and the medication. I appreciate all her support and patience with us.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
When we first met with Dr. Tran for a consultation, he was very efficient but thorough. He explained our options in a straightforward manner. We received a lot of information that first visit, but we had a fairly clear sense of our path forward, though the question of timing was still a little hard to grasp. We were able to proceed with treatment relatively quickly, and I always felt like I was in good hands with Dr. Tran. I appreciated that I saw him on most visits and that he handled my procedures himself. We had one minor confusion when he told us he thought we could do a transfer before the end of the year, when really January was the actual outcome because of holiday closures, but while that felt frustrating at the time, I'm glad we did the transfer at a time when we could have full access to Dr. Tran and the clinic. On the day of the retrieval, he did a great job putting me at ease, joking about the music playing in the procedure room. We got some bad news after my retrieval - only 2 embryos made it to day 6 out of the original 18 - and Dr. Tran explained that it might be due to the quality of my eggs over the phone. I think that information would have been a little easier to take in person, but I appreciate that he was able to take the time to talk to us about it. While things sometimes felt like they moved quickly with Dr. Tran, I know he's a very experienced doctor with a great track record, so I feel grateful we were able to work with him.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. Dr. Tran will make time to answer them if he knows you have them.
While Spring was handling a lot of patients, I appreciated the attention from Dr. Tran. He kept appointments short and to-the-point without making me feel like he didn't have time for me -- I appreciated his efficiency as well as his personal approach.
My partner was diagnosed with male factor infertility before coming to Dr. Tran. We were told IVF with ICSI was our best option by the reproductive endocrinologist we had gotten testing with at Kaiser. Dr. Tran reviewed our results and agreed that IVF with ICSI was our best path forward. Because my results were all within standard range, he said our chances were relatively high, comparatively -- about 60% chance of conception per cycle. I was put on Menopur and Gonal-F to prepare for the retrieval, and we were able to stay the course without making changes to the protocol as the eggs were progressing as expected. I did the trigger injections 36 hours before the procedure, and came in for the retrieval, which resulted in 19 eggs, 18 of which made it to the embryo state. We used ICSI and they grew the embryos to day 6. Only two made it to day 6, both of which we chose to send for PGS testing. One came back as normal, the other was "inconclusive." We would have been allowed to either re-test the inconclusive embryo or transfer it without further testing. When the clinic reopened after the holidays, I went on birth control for about two weeks before starting medication (Letrozole then Medrol) to prepare for the transfer. I was not put on progesterone after bloodwork showed I had appropriate levels. I was given Valium to take the day of the transfer, and no further medication after that. I got a positive HCG result about two and half weeks after the transfer and am currently 14 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette Perez)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring is a very nice facility, I appreciate that it's not overwhelmingly clinical in atmosphere. It helped me feel like a person -- the touches like having snacks/drinks in the waiting room, and the running-water feature across from where you get your blood drawn. They're very friendly and accommodating. We struggled a little with our care coordinator at the beginning, and I was a little surprised by how much I had to advocate for myself when I expected a bit more hand-holding -- everything worked out, but I was initially a little frustrated by the confusion, which was mostly around timing. I was generally under the impression that they're growing a lot, quickly, which wonderful, but that some of the early missteps were just a result of that growth. Once I was handed over to the clinical team, everything was very smooth. While it's certainly not a deciding factor, the occasional difficulty of parking is something to be aware of -- at a stressful time, finding out the lot next door is closed or having to circle for spots is just something to account for in understanding the time it'll take to get to the appointments.
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran strongly recommended single embryo transfer, and given my age and the risks, I was happy with this approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
We had some early confusion about timing for starting our first cycle -- we had a weekend trip planned out of town involving air travel, and because it fell around the time of possible ovulation, we weren't sure if we could start that cycle or not. It just took a bit of back and forth with our care coordinator. I also missed an injection class because I was sent the wrong date. In the scheme of things, these ended up being minor and manageable, they were just painful at the start of my treatment.
San Francisco

Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Ask good questions...[Dr. Nam Tran is] happy to explain things...felt strongly that we should transfer 3 based on my age and egg quality...retrieved 10, had 9 embryos. 3 very good ones and a handful of ok ones. None made it to freeze. Transferred 3 on day three resulted in twins...is efficient, so I only saw him briefly during most visits. However, he was very familiar with my case during each visit and I felt like he was genuinely invested in our conceiving.
I definitely felt like we got what we paid for...Spring is not your cheapest option. However, with the price tag came very good client treatment. I never had to wait for an appointment. Dr. Tran always came in exactly on time, was quick and efficient, and they had me out the door. I was traveling from outside of SF for treatment and I loved that they had very early morning appointments--it meant I missed very little work relative to the number of appointments I had. The office is neat, they offer nice amenities (snacks, coffee, etc.) to make your wait more pleasant. Staff were all extremely friendly and professional. I liked that we even got to meet the embryologist when it came time to transfer. I also used their on call number once and was grateful to speak with one of the doctors on call to make sure I was dosing my medications correctly. I definitely felt like we got what we paid for.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran was always honest about our odds of conceiving. He was hopeful that it could work, but didn't offer false hope which I appreciated. He was good at explaining what he was doing and why. He seemed to have a good balance between using evidence-based methods and a willingness to try something else when that didn't work. He is fairly technical and clinical, but I think that's what you want: someone precise and exacting. In the end, we trusted him and when he was optimistic that a second round could yield better results than our first, we agreed. And he was right! Our second round was successful.
Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Ask good questions, he's happy to explain things. Trust that his number one goal is to help you conceive and he'll do what he can to make that happen.
Dr. Tran is efficient, so I only saw him briefly during most visits. However, he was very familiar with my case during each visit and I felt like he was genuinely invested in our conceiving.
Round one: started with lupron then was on 150 menopur, 225 gonal f for 4 days, then 150 of each for 4 days, then 75 menopur/150 gonal f for 1 day. Produced 14 follicles, 9 embryos, all poor quality by day 3. Transferred the best 3 on day 3, resulted in a chemical pregnancy with nothing left to freeze. Round 2: started on Aygestin then was on 150 each menopur and gonal f for 8 days, then 75 menopur/150 gonal f for 3 days, then 75 of each for last day. Also took HGH throughout. Began cetrotide last 4 days. This time he also cultured our embryos differently. This time retrieved 10, had 9 embryos. 3 very good ones and a handful of ok ones. None made it to freeze. Transferred 3 on day three resulted in twins.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
The staff were always courteous and efficient. We had an incident where meds weren't ordered in time which would have resulted in a delayed cycle (we ended up delaying for other reasons). Staff called us quickly afterward to find out what happened and ensured us it wouldn't happen again.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran felt strongly that we should transfer 3 based on my age and egg quality.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
We lived outside the same-day medication delivery area which I communicated multiple times. It still resulted in medications being ordered late and missing the delivery window which would have pushed back our cycle start date (we ended up taking that cycle off). They did follow up with their quality improvement folks to discuss what happened, which I appreciated.

2021, Successful
The care team at Spring Danville was wonderful to work with. Very professional, organized, knowledgeable and friendly...billing is straightforward, their patient portal where we get all communications and updates about our treatment is quite helpful and user friendly, the facilities are very clean and modern and since they have different locations you could use for your monitoring, you never have to be commuting too far to get your care
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Fisher always took the time to listen to my concerns, answered my questions in the clearest way possible, he was always realistic and honest about our case, no sugarcoating but always kind and respectful. During every appointment he always had the best attitude, his bedside manner was spotless and his communication very straightforward. IVF can be a very complex process but at every visit Dr Fisher always made sure I understood every decision about my treatment, what the next steps would be and why, I always left his office at ease and confident I was getting the best care for my case. Dr Fisher's demeanor has the right mix of science, professionalism, compassion and heart and I feel truly fortunate to have had him as my fertility Doctor!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Fisher at Spring Fertility?
Please ask him all the questions and share every concern you have, he will always listen and give you an honest and clear answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Fisher at Spring Fertility?
In every interaction I had with with Dr. Fisher, he was always professional and kind, he cared about me as an individual and wanted me to succeed. I also never felt rushed during any consultation or procedure, I always got enough time and attention for my care.
Describe the protocols Thomas Fisher used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
For my egg retrieval: I was on Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix, leuprolide and triggered with pregnyl (cannot remember the doses as these were adjusted) For my transfer: medrol and ovidrel. My FET was successful and I am now pregnant at 42-years-old.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: My nurse was Darcy and care coordinator was Shelby)
The care team at Spring Danville was wonderful to work with. Very professional, organized, knowledgeable and friendly. For some of my procedures I went to their Oakland office, where I also got excellent care. Everyone including receptionists, nurses, medical assistants, and every person I ever interacted with at Spring offered me the best care.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has a very organized system: billing is straightforward, their patient portal where we get all communications and updates about our treatment is quite helpful and user friendly, the facilities are very clean and modern and since they have different locations you could use for your monitoring, you never have to be commuting too far to get your care. Parking in the Danville office was always good, but in the Oakland office it was a bit difficult so it was good to show up with enough time to be able to find a spot and still make it on time for my appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Fisher at Spring Fertility.
Egg retrieval and monitoring: $18000, Embryo transfer $4700, Medications: $4000.
Describe Thomas Fisher's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
We did single embryo transfer (safer for my age and higher chances of live birth)

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Fisher is the best doctor I've ever worked with. He and his team has been with us through our 1+ year long fertility journey and we could not have asked for a better team. From the get go, he took the time to educate us, carefully listen to our story & goals, and created a plan for us. He's honest, realistic, funny, smart, detail-oriented, caring, all the things you'd wish for as a doctor during such vulnerable times.
I absolutely ADORED Spring Fertility staff, from the nurses, coordinators to the front office team. They make up the amazing culture Spring has and I always looked forward to my appts...I have recommended at least 5 people at my company to Spring Fertility because of how incredible the clinic is. They are organized, efficient, effective (have some of the highest success rates), and the culture and team are incredible...
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at Spring Fertility?
Just be honest with what you want and come prepared for any questions. He was so patient with all my questions and always took the time to walk through everything with me.
Dr. Fisher is the only doctor I ever felt a connection with. From the start of our fertility journey, he always showed care, empathy, and enthusiasm to help you achieve your goals. He also made a process that can be so vulnerable much more pleasing than I had expected.
We went with the mid-luteal protocol. For medications, was as on the typical injections, FSH, Menopur, Cetrotide and I can't remember what I used for trigger. For the transfer, we went with natural/letrozole protocol as I was able to ovulate on my own and my progesterone levels were normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Caponi )
I absolutely ADORED Spring Fertility staff, from the nurses, coordinators to the front office team. They make up the amazing culture Spring has and I always looked forward to my appts so I can catch up with everyone. :) They are amazing!
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
My company insurance covered most of it and I paid about 1500 out of pocket. I believe if I did not have insurance, it would be 18k for the injections + trigger and 6-7k for transfer.
We went wit single embryo transfer as it was the safest and lowest risk.

2021, 26 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Okeigwe never seemed rushed. She listened to all my concerns and addressed them. She seemed genuinely interested in my success and wellbeing: she paid close attention to my experience all along the process and adjusted my protocols accordingly. She was meticulous with things like measuring follicles - she was more accurate than one of the other doctors I saw for a monitoring appointment.
The staff at Spring in Oakland are amazing...They never missed an update or call to see how things were going. The care was well-organized, thorough and tailored for me. I appreciated the patient education resources...The wait was never more than 10 minutes to be seen (usually less) and appointments went very smoothly. Their care-team system is very effective and the staff is very communicative and easy to get a hold of.
How was your experience with Ijeoma Okeigwe at Spring Fertility?
With Dr. Okeigwe, I felt like I was in really good hands all throughout the egg freezing process. She made sure I was taking all the necessary steps to prevent OHSS. Her calm presence was very reassuring during the actual retrieval: this was my first operation and I went in with some anxiety. I felt that she was a very good source of knowledge and I fully felt like I could trust her judgement. She provided excellent care!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ijeoma Okeigwe at Spring Fertility?
Describe the protocols Ijeoma Okeigwe used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Aygestin priming, FSH + menopur, cetrotide, lupron-only trigger, cabergaline. All of these worked well and prevented OHSS even though I had a lot of eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
The staff at Spring in Oakland are amazing: I came to expect friendly, warm staff at every visit and was never disappointed. They never missed an update or call to see how things were going. The care was well-organized, thorough and tailored for me. I appreciated the patient education resources.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic was great. The wait was never more than 10 minutes to be seen (usually less) and appointments went very smoothly. Their care-team system is very effective and the staff is very communicative and easy to get a hold of. I wasn't able to get a hold of the on-call doctor they said to contact if need be by calling the main line after hours but I may have chosen the wrong options.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ijeoma Okeigwe at Spring Fertility.
Costs were covered by Progyny.
Ijeoma Okeigwe
2021, Successful
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is very inviting and very organized. Communication was very efficient, even around insurance and billing...very efficient and timely with each appointment...The nurses were phenomenal. I underestimated how complicated the drug administration would be, and they had top notch training and education sessions...They answered every question in a timely manner...
How was your experience with Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
My experience was wonderful. Dr. Pasternak has a great bedside manner, kept things light (even when they could be heavy) and was clear about what to expect. She was very helpful in making our upfront decision to pursue IVF instead of IUI. She let us know she would support either one but just have us candid facts about odds. And she helped us by always keeping our goals in kind - one more child as soon as possible. She was competent and empathetic and I felt supported and like we were being cheered on the whole time. That means a lot when you’re putting so much work into and have such high hopes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
Take advantage of the fact that she will give you candid advice. And ask questions - these clinics are busy and they can’t know how much to explain, but Dr. Pasternak always answered all my questions to the fullest. Always ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
I felt like a human because we connected during my consults, and she was sympathetic in every way. She took time to answer my questions and to do so honestly. A good balance of realistic expectations and hope.
Describe the protocols Monica Pasternak used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
We did IVF right away. We did the egg retrieval, and protocol was normal. We did genetic testing of embryos due to to age, and thankful we did because 6 of our 7 embryos were abnormal. They helped us navigate that process with their genetic counseling partner and helped contextualize their feedback. We adjusted the timing of the protocol to make sure we had an understanding of what to expect. We had just one embryo, and she suggested we go forward with it - we only wanted one more child, it only takes one embryo, and she said she saw no reason I wouldn’t have the best odds to be successful (versus doing another round of egg retrieval). We discussed what options there were if it didn’t work. Ultimately, we moved forward, and I am currently 20 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rayney Dodge)
The nurses were phenomenal. I underestimated how complicated the drug administration would be, and they had top notch training and education sessions, all remote. I was very impressed and it made such a huge difference in treatment and confidence. I did make a mistake in meds, and they were responsive, supportive, and reassuring. They answered every question in a timely manner (and I had a lot!) and appreciated that there was a team to cover in case anyone was out. It surpassed all my expectations.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is very inviting and very organized. Communication was very efficient, even around insurance and billing (a couple placated topic even if you have great insurance and benefits) and very efficient and timely with each appointment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Spring Fertility.
Monitoring needed to jags leeches timing by its nature, but they are open seven days a week and they always gave as much advanced notice as possible for ease of scheduling. I always wanted early mornings and they always could accommodate.
Monica Pasternak
San Francisco

Dr. Klatsky is warm and meets each patient where they are. E.g., early on I wanted to leave most things up to him, but as we progressed I got more involved in the data. He is warm and compassionate, and has a quirky sense of humor...he will be candid and forthright...Mid-luteal cycle start for my second cycle as I responded poorly at the first retrieval...is kind, patient, and thorough...He followed up with me when the number of eggs retrieved at my first retrieval was not what we were expecting, with a commitment to figure out what was going on.
Spring is a nice clinic. I appreciate that it felt almost spa-like. For people with grueling work schedules, they are able to see you early morning (e.g., 7 am), and it runs like clockwork at that time. The receptionists are nice and remember your name/face. The early morning flexibility with appointments and the concierge-like service was the most important factor for me in choosing Spring vs. UCSF...Catherine is my patient coordinator, and she is absolutely wonderful in every way. I used to send long lists of questions at the beginning, and she never handled them with anything other than good cheer, a high degree of competence, and utter professionalism. I’m sure her case load must be high, but she is amazing at her job. I feel lucky to be working with her, given how on top of everything she is all the time.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Come armed with knowledge, or as you are - he will be candid and forthright.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Klatsky is kind, patient, and thorough. He meets everyone where they are - e.g., if you just want the data/facts he’ll do that. But he also cares. He followed up with me when the number of eggs retrieved at my first retrieval was not what we were expecting, with a commitment to figure out what was going on.
Describe the protocols Peter Klatsky used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lange )
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility.
It’s all covered by my company’s insurance.
Describe Peter Klatsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
N/A; haven’t transferred yet
Peter Klatsky
San Francisco

Dr. Harris is the nicest, most empathetic doctor I have ever had. Even with a mask on his smile is contagious. He has so much positive energy which helped me get through everything. He was not excessively optimistic. He helped me to set reasonable or even a little bit low expectations so that I could be prepared for various things that could happen. He took time to answer all the questions I threw at him. It is on you to ask questions though if you are interested in non-essential things. I was amazed how well he kept track of my case while also taking care of many other patients.
All of the nurses that took care of me [at Spring Fertility] were amazing and so nice. I emailed Aubrey so many questions everyday and she was so patient and compassionate and helpful. The nurses in the Redwood City clinic and surgical nurses in SF were great. I couldn't ask for a better team. Both of my cycles were during the COVID lockdown and I still felt like everyone was so warm and professional. No one asked me to write a review, I just had such a good experience with Dr. Harris and the clinic overall that I wanted to say thank you to these awesome heroes!
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Harris is super nice. He is also very experienced and sharp. He has a compassionate nature and a good sense of humor. He also helped someone else I know and she said he was amazing with her as well through a long IVF journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
I think choosing a doctor is personal so you might want to do a consultation with a couple of doctors and then choose which one you felt best with. If you work with Dr. Harris or any doctor I'd say make sure to do some research on IVF so that you can know what questions to ask. Write down your questions and don't hesitate to ask them to your doctor and nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
Describe the protocols Isiah Harris used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
First cycle we did a follicular protocol with Aygestin and ten days of Gonal and Menopur with great results. Second cycle we did a midluteal protocol where you start 5 days after ovulation and twelve days of Gonal and Menopur with even better results. The doctor said he wished he could take credit but there is some randomness in how many follicles your body has each month so unclear how much the protocol helped but I was very happy he could make adjustments based on my first cycle to create a better second cycle and that he was humble about it and how well it worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aubrey Baker)
All of the nurses that took care of me were amazing and so nice. I emailed Aubrey so many questions everyday and she was so patient and compassionate and helpful. The nurses in the Redwood City clinic and surgical nurses in SF were great. I couldn't ask for a better team. Both of my cycles were during the COVID lockdown and I still felt like everyone was so warm and professional. No one asked me to write a review, I just had such a good experience with Dr. Harris and the clinic overall that I wanted to say thank you to these awesome heroes!
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring does a lot of little things that are very nice like letting you email your nurse. They also have a great website with videos about everything including how to do all the shots. They spoiled me with things like they gave me a small box of chocolate when I finished my retrievals. Their clinics are nice and clean and nicely decorated. For me I am near Redwood City so it was not ideal I had to go to SF for weekend appointments and retrieval but it was worth it to me. Since I did have appointments on weekends and on two holidays I ended up seeing some different doctors (Dr. Tran, Dr. Fisher and NP Audrey Krall) but I felt like they very cohesively communicated my case and my instructions with Dr. Harris and my nurse Aubrey Baker. I got a lot of phone calls before and after the retrieval to make sure my questions were answered. They all make up a great team. I think with any clinic you do have to realize that you need to be informed and not expect the nurses or doctors will totally hold your hand on everything. You need to educate yourself about your body, IVF, risks, statistics and options and ask them lots of questions. Keep low/reasonable expectations for everything to minimize bad surprises or disappointment. It is very hard to predict your outcome and the doctors are trying their best but you need to advocate for yourself and raise any concerns. I advise creating a document or notebook for yourself with your plan, your options, your risks, your questions just like you might do for a work project. I recommend therapy or a support group as needed. Part of your plan should be how you will handle all the uncertainty in this process through things like music, art, meditation, friends, movies, time off, baking, etc. It is very hard on your body and your mind.
Isiah Harris
Redwood City

Mel [nurse at Spring Fertility] was always easy to get ahold of and answered all of my questions. She is also super kind and supportive...Mid-luteal protocol. Apparently Spring has had a lot of success with this protocol, I had not heard of it prior to my treatment at this clinic, and I have to say, I am very happy with it...8 embryos made it to day 5 and of those, five were euploid...For the retrieval, it was approximately $18,000. For transfer, approximately $5-$6,000.
How was your experience with Thomas Fisher at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Fisher was the second reproductive endocrinologist I treated with over the course of about a year. I came to him very disheartened by my prior experience - both in the results and the relationship with my prior clinic and provider. Dr. Fisher was very different in every aspect from my prior experience. From the initial visit, he went through different protocols we could try during this egg retrieval to see if we could get better results, he took significant time explaining his thinking, he spent an enormous amount of time explaining medicine to me and assuring me when I was nervous. Dr. Fisher truly cares about his patients, I have not encountered this kind of care routinely and I will always be appreciative.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, Dr. Fisher will take the time to explain until you understand.
Putting aside specifically the treatment many women receive during fertility treatment where they are often treated as a number, Dr. Fisher is just a genuine person. Every interaction with Dr. Fisher it was clear that he not only cared about you as his patient, but that you were an individual and he was thinking of you individually and not as one of many. This was apparent from our countless conversations leading up to the egg retrieval but in also how he thought of my care, it was individualized and not a set protocol used on each women. His bedside manner is A+++.
Mid-luteal protocol. Apparently Spring has had a lot of success with this protocol, I had not heard of it prior to my treatment at this clinic, and I have to say, I am very happy with it. At the prior clinic I treated with, I underwent the antagonist protocol and the same amount of eggs were retrieved as at Spring (in the 20s). But the prior clinic, I only ended up with one embryo after PGS testing (3 were tested but only one was euploid. At Spring, 8 embryos made it to day 5 and of those, five were euploid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mel)
Mel was always easy to get ahold of and answered all of my questions. She is also super kind and supportive.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Over the course of my treatment, I met almost every provider. It was nice to be able to know each doctor personally. However, I could always choose to see Dr. Fisher for all procedures (except the egg retrieval which is more time-sensitive) but felt comfortable with the skills of all the doctors at the clinic.
All of my costs were unfortunately out-of-pocket as Spring does not accept United Healthcare. For the retrieval, it was approximately $18,000. For transfer, approximately $5-$6,000.
Dr. Fisher strongly recommended single embryo transfer and I agreed.
Oakland

Spring has a very strong team. We had a great experience with other Spring fertility doctors who also help along the way, our anesthesiologists, and the whole nursing team from those who drew bloodwork to those who took care of me after egg retrievals and embryo transfers....Anny is caring and detail oriented. She explained the step-by-step procedures clearly and ahead of time so we had adequate preparation.
How was your experience with Sara Vaughn at Spring Fertility?
We honestly couldn't have imagined a better experience. Dr. Vaughn is thoughtful, compassionate, professional, and always patiently and meticulously answered all of our questions. She was thoroughly prepared from the start, with slides to walk us through what to expect, presented it in an optimistic manner that was balanced by an honest appraisal, very data-driven but in a way even those without medical background can understand, and never missed the human element, even with the challenge of a virtual consultation amidst the first major wave of COVID-19. Added together this was very reassuring to us as the IVF journey can seem quite intimidating. Dr. Vaughn also planned the treatment according to our needs. At our first appointment, we told her if possible we'd like to plan having more than one child in the future. Based on the first egg retrieval results, she suggested a second one for a more comfortable margin of success given our family planning. Although we had been trying for more than a year and I wanted to be pregnant as soon as possible, we felt comfortable with her advice because she explained in detail the multitude of reasons why this was the smarter choice. After following her plan, we now should have enough healthy embryos.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Vaughn at Spring Fertility?
Don’t hesitate to ask questions. Dr. Vaughn is very patient and she explains everything very clearly. It certainly helps ease a lot of potential anxiety. I remember after my first transfer failed, I asked Dr. Vaughn if we should implant multiple embryos instead of one to increase the chance of success. She told me that not only it will increase the risk of multiple births, it is also possible I’ll lose multiple healthy embryos if my body isn’t well-prepared. My second transfer was successful. Hang in there and don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Vaughn at Spring Fertility?
I genuinely felt cared for from Dr. Vaughn and the entire team at Spring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Anny)
Anny is caring and detail oriented. She explained the step-by-step procedures clearly and ahead of time so we had adequate preparation. Normally she would give us a call first and follow-up immediately with an email.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has a very strong team. We had a great experience with other Spring fertility doctors who also help along the way, our anesthesiologists, and the whole nursing team from those who drew bloodwork to those who took care of me after egg retrievals and embryo transfers. And there's a pleasant little surprise a day or two after a transfer that goes to show their thoughtfulness from beginning to end and going the extra mile to make patients feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Vaughn at Spring Fertility.
We were very lucky to have our treatments covered by insurance.
Sara Vaughn
Sunnyvale

2019, 33 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Tran was warm, friendly and to the point. I really appreciated his ability to balance clear, candid and accurate information well also being super nice. He took the time to learn my goals, tailor the treatment, and set realistic expectations. My favorite part was that if my personal fertility goals had been different, he would have actually not recommended egg freezing. I love he was willing to turn away business if it wasn't in the best interest of his patient.
I am obsessed with this clinic. The facilities are convenient in the city, with a parking garage below and easy street meters. The ambiance is incredibly lux. The sparkling water and snacks were clutch with all the blood draws. I never had to wait long, unless I was early, but my favorite part was that patients in the waiting room were super diverse and friendly. The other patients would grab coffee and chat with each other.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Nothing! You're in great hands at Spring. The whole experience is incredible with great customer service, support and facilities.
The clinic experience was so wonderful! The nurses and receptionists made a point to learn my name, offer snacks and water when I had blood draws, and ask about events happening in my life that I had shared. They were so lovely.
I elected to freeze my eggs for later use. I was given a tailored protocol of menopur, gonal, and later cetrotide. We used a lupron trigger to help avoid OHSS. Spring adjusted my dosages almost daily for the last half of my injects to help prevent OHSS (which they did!) and provided clear communication on their online portal about medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette)
Yvette was my primary care nurse and Shirley was my scheduling coordinator. They were both incredibly responsive. Yvette was super helpful answering all my panicked emails when I thought I had done the injections wrong. She was super patient and sweet with my random questions about taking baths and tylenol too.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Progyny and my primary insurance handled all costs and billing. My out of pocket costs were minimal and covered by my yearly out of pocket maximum for all health coverage.
San Francisco

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.
San Francisco

Dr Tran is an incredible doctor- his knowledge of reproduction and his role in making it happen is astounding. I respect how efficient Dr Tran was at all of my appointments, I felt like he was always present and invested in our success. I felt safe, supported and 100% confident in his abilities as my doctor. ... He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays.
One of the things I most appreciated about Spring is their convenience. They are open every day of the year, they open at 7:30am so all of my monitoring appointments happened before work, they were always on time, I never waited and the facilities are spotless. There is parking available on site too, which made life so much easier. ... Onjira was my nurse and she was just ok. I am not one to ask too many questions but she didn’t seem to be up to the same standard as the rest of the nursing staff. Ayda and Helen we’re both brilliant.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran is not going to sit there and give you a cuddle, if you are looking for a doctor to look you in the eyes and tell you everything is ok- that is not Dr Tran. He is smart, fast and to the point and I absolutely appreciated that about him. He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays. He must work 7 days a week, fertility and his work are clearly his passion and I felt so confident in his abilities at every step of the process.
Dr Tran will get you results, but don’t forget that this is a business and he’s a busy man. Expect the best service, honest answers and world class care.
Having done 4 unsuccessful IUIs with Kaiser and being very unimpressed with the care I received there, we moved to spring. I knew Dr Tran was our doctor and within 2 weeks of our first appointment I was starting injectables. I did a combination of menopur, gonal f and certitide for 13 days. My doses were adjusted each day depending on my daily ultrasound and blood results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira )
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Egg retrieval- $18,500 Additional 2 embryo biopsy - $900 FET - $4500 Meds - $4400
I am yet to have my FET but have PGS rested embryos ready to go, our recommendation has been to transfer one embryo.
San Francisco

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going... He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field...Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%... Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. ..He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way....
I love love love the clinic [Spring Fertility]. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going. We are awaiting our FET having undergone an egg retrieval and PGS testing we have 6 healthy embryos waiting for us. He predicted we would have 3 but would do everything he could to make it more and he did just that. He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field. I never questioned him because I had full faith he knew what he was doing and I was in the best hands possible.
Dr Tran has a dry sense of humour and is not the warm and cuddly type- he is a wildly clever doctor so don’t expect cuddles and a shoulder to cry on. He is fact driven, experienced and knows best so trust him. He was literally at the clinic every single time I went- 7am in the morning, Sunday’s, he was there. That’s what I want in a doctor.
Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%. He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way.
I did 14 days of stims using menopur and cetrotide. I had 7 monitoring visits before my egg retrieval and after each visit my dosages were changed to suit my blood results.
Onjira was my primary care nurse and she was ok. Not the same level at Helen or Ava or any of the other nurses that helped me each visit. She did her job and was helpful when necessary but I think Dr. Tran deserves a better nurse.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I love love love the clinic. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
So far we have paid $18,750 for egg retrieval, $4400 for meds, $900 for additional embryo biopsy, and I believe FET will be $4500. All up it will cost well over $30,000- more if our FET is unsuccessful.
I am yet to transfer but Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. I am happy with this as I don’t want to put my body through any undue stress.
San Francisco

[Dr. Nam Tran is] Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Spring Fertility really focuses on the patient experience-everyone is very responsive, they have a lot of nice touches...they pay attention to the little things. The protocols are tailored to individuals not just an algorithm...We had one instance where we had to call back and clarify a miscommunication about an embryo report. However literally every other communication (probably more than 100 contacts between appointments, emails, and phone calls) was timely and accurate.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is seriously smart and on the cutting edge. Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Write down your questions and don’t hesitate to send the team a follow up question!
1 letrozole flare 1 mid-luteal start 3 mini IVF with clomid and gonalF/menopur
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
This clinic prioritizes the patient experience and does all the touches right. We had so many visits there over our time and really appreciated their organization, timeliness, and attention to all the little things.
Pricing is transparent and up front. Comparable to other clinics in the area. Mini IVF cycles can be packaged which makes the cost about 50% of a regular IVF cycle
They recommend eSET for PGS tested

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. ... He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened. ... I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
From a scientific and IVF protocol I completely trust Dr. Tran and his decisions. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
Be patient with the process and trust Dr. Trans decisions as he shares the same desired outcome.
I have been a patient of Dr. Tran from the beginning of the clinic's opening and as they have grown the level of individual attention to detail is slightly diminished. However, Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs.
I did two retrievals using Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Novarel. Both retrievals resulted in a desirable amount of eggs; my particular problem is in growing the embryos to day 5. The number of embroys drastically dropped during this time. First retrieval results in 2 embryos that both came back normal after genetic testing. The second retrieval resulted in 1 embryo that came back abnormal. I then did a FET immediately following the second retrieval that resulted in a healthy pregnancy. I did a second transfer Sept 2019 with the remaining embryo from first retrieval that did not result in a pregnancy. I am currently undergoing preparation for another retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel Maley)
I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way. They are thoughtful and compassionate; everything you would want in the person who is your primary contact during this process! There are some nursing staff that need to avoid speaking to you about your case when they don't know all the specifics; best to avoid communicating information that could lead to confusion.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened.
The first two retrievals and transfer were covered by insurance. Second transfer was around $6,000 and current retrieval will be around $25,000
I agree with Dr. Tran's approach of eSET as I highly risk adverse to having multiple babies at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
There was one instance when a nurse that I worked with briefly sent me conflicting information related to my protocol; however, after calling the clinic directly my questions and concerns were immediately addressed.
San Francisco

I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. ... now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. ... I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. ...
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff [Spring Fertility] Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. My IUIs were done by different doctors, and all other information has been conveyed through nurses and my patient coordinator. However I feel like I’m getting the care I need, and if I move on to IVF, I believe I will see him more.
His primary focus is IVF, so if you are starting with IUI, you might not see him for many of your appointments. However he will still be involved in your care, and it’s easy to get answers to questions via your patient coordinator.
Along with the doctors and nurses, I was assigned a “patient coordinator” who is available to answer all my questions. Being able to go through this one person who knows me and my treatment history makes me feel much more connected to my treatment. It makes t easier to ask questions, so I understand more of what is going on. And everyone is always very responsive and friendly.
I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. I have had three unsuccessful IUIs. I am now going to have an HSG test. I elected not to have one before beginning initial treatment, but now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. Depending on the results of the HSG test, I will either move on to the planned medicated cycles, or look at IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Brittany Delacruz)
Great! Very responsive and quick to answer questions. Also very warm and friendly.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
Monitoring ultrasounds—$400 IUI— Around $800
San Francisco

Dr. Harris has a warm demeanor and is really invested in success for his patients...At the beginning there was some miscommunication, but when I expressed my concern Dr. Harris was apologetic and made up for the initial misunderstanding...He was always sure to ask at each visit how things are going, whether you have experienced any side effects, etc...is openly optimistic and enthusiastic, and the result is that you can get swept into the optimism and expect more from your treatment than it can realistically deliver.
Strengths [at Spring Fertility]: - great staff - clear communication - transparent - very clean Weaknesses: - they use a surgical center that is out of network for all insurance - some procedures can only be done at the SF office so if you are going to the RWC office expect to have to go downtown occasionally...She [nurse] was warm, friendly, and followed up quickly when I had questions. Her e-mails with the course of treatment were always detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility?
At the beginning there was some miscommunication, but when I expressed my concern Dr. Harris was apologetic and made up for the initial misunderstanding. He truly wants to see his patients succeed and does what he can to that end. He was always sure to ask at each visit how things are going, whether you have experienced any side effects, etc. He explains the options clearly, and is thorough in describing the treatment plan.
Dr. Harris is openly optimistic and enthusiastic, and the result is that you can get swept into the optimism and expect more from your treatment than it can realistically deliver. The result is that a failure can hit harder than it might have otherwise. I'm ultimately happy with our choice of doctor, but just be realistic with yourself,
We used Clomid with an Ovidrel trigger shot followed by IUI three times. We have just started our first IVF cycle with Dr. Harris. Given our severe male factor infertility, he originally suggested we skip IUI and go directly to IVF, but that was not financially feasible for us at the time so we attempted IUI anyway despite the probable negative outcome. The first IUI cycle I had some spotting pre-period, which is unusual for me, and a positive pregnancy test long after the Ovidrel should have dissipated so we suspect the possibility of a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Harris was thorough with his description of the different approaches we could take with IVF and explained clearly why he felt the approach we went with was best for us. We're using birth control for 2 weeks followed by injectables for egg retrieval at the end of the month.
She was warm, friendly, and followed up quickly when I had questions. Her e-mails with the course of treatment were always detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: - great staff - clear communication - transparent - very clean Weaknesses: - they use a surgical center that is out of network for all insurance - some procedures can only be done at the SF office so if you are going to the RWC office expect to have to go downtown occasionally
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility.
The self-pay cost for IUI is $1600 and it's $18,375 for IVF. With insurance, we paid ~$600 for the first two IUI cycles and nothing for the second as we'd hit our max out of pocket. IVF is going to cost around $3000 and most of that is the out-of-network surgical center. I don't yet know what additional there will be on top of that for the genetic testing, anesthesiologist, etc.
Describe Isiah Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
We didn't discuss this as I had decided in advance that I wanted to do single embryo transfer.
Isiah Harris
San Francisco

Appointments [with Dr. Minjarez] can be brief, but her team is always very responsive via email if things come up afterward...caring and kind. Even during short visits, I feel like Dr. Minjarez is very present and attentive to me and my partner...took time to thoroughly explain different parts of the process and answer any of our questions. We've had some delays getting started, and she's been helpful and responsive. She does a good job of balancing clear, direct communication with kindness and the feeling like she's rooting for us.
she [nurse at Spring Fertility] taught an injectable medications class that was very helpful. Our patient navigator and the team have been very helpful, promptly answering all of our questions and providing clear, detailed instructions...saline sonogram: $950...ovarian stimulation and monitoring, retrieval of oocytes, embryology lab services (including ICSI, PGS/PGD): $18,375...This facility transfers only one embryo at a time...when vetting labs we asked for Spring's stats, measuring against Fertility IQ's standards for lab quality, and they passed with flying colors.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Minjarez took time to thoroughly explain different parts of the process and answer any of our questions. We've had some delays getting started, and she's been helpful and responsive. She does a good job of balancing clear, direct communication with kindness and the feeling like she's rooting for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Make sure you think through your questions ahead of time -- it really benefit us to have done our research so we could make the most of our time with Dr. Minjarez. Appointments can be brief, but her team is always very responsive via email if things come up afterward.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Minjarez and her staff are caring and kind. Even during short visits, I feel like Dr. Minjarez is very present and attentive to me and my partner.
Describe the protocols Debra Minjarez used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
We haven't started stimulation yet, because my follicles weren't ready. But the plan is to stimulate with FSH and Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Flo)
We haven't worked a lot with our nurse yet -- she taught an injectable medications class that was very helpful. Our patient navigator and the team have been very helpful, promptly answering all of our questions and providing clear, detailed instructions.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
It's hard to say right now because we're at the very beginning of the process, but when vetting labs we asked for Spring's stats, measuring against Fertility IQ's standards for lab quality, and they passed with flying colors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility.
saline sonogram: $950 ovarian stimulation and monitoring, retrieval of oocytes, embryology lab services (including ICSI, PGS/PGD): $18,375 medication package: $4,400 future frozen embryo transfer (monitoring + thawing, transfer): $5,250 embryo cryopreservation after 6 months: $650
Describe Debra Minjarez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
This facility transfers only one embryo at a time.
Debra Minjarez
San Francisco

Dr. Minjarez has a strong preference on eSET, due to all of the risks for mom and babies if there are multiples...reviewed my specific health history with me, and then went over the potential problems, how to resolve those, and how to move forward. It was very personalized to my specific fertility challenges...clearly cares about her patients. She takes the time to hear about your fertility journey in your own words, but has also clearly taken the time to review the information you provide in your intake forms. I think she takes all steps necessary to achieve pregnancy.
I have visited the Oakland and San Francisco clinics [of Spring Fertility]. They are both great. Easy to get to & park near. Inviting, clean environment that always smells good. Friendly staff. Rarely a wait time beyond your scheduled appointment...I had a saline sonogram to look for scarring in the uterus. Then had a hysteroscopy to remove the scarring...The communication preference seems to be email, which is fine but if there is a back and forth going, sometimes a phone call makes more sense.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Minjarez clearly cares about her patients. She takes the time to hear about your fertility journey in your own words, but has also clearly taken the time to review the information you provide in your intake forms. I think she takes all steps necessary to achieve pregnancy.
Ask questions. And ask what she would ask if she were in your shoes. Know that the fertility journey is not linear.
Dr. Minjarez reviewed my specific health history with me, and then went over the potential problems, how to resolve those, and how to move forward. It was very personalized to my specific fertility challenges.
I had a saline sonogram to look for scarring in the uterus. Then had a hysteroscopy to remove the scarring. And now am on estrogen, and then will the provera toward the end of the estrogen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
The communication preference seems to be email, which is fine but if there is a back and forth going, sometimes a phone call makes more sense. They are prompt with responses, but I did have to sometimes dig for information or ask questions about things that I thought should have been readily available information, like prescriptions needed following a surgery and what purpose the medication served.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I have visited the Oakland and San Francisco clinics. They are both great. Easy to get to & park near. Inviting, clean environment that always smells good. Friendly staff. Rarely a wait time beyond your scheduled appointment.
Saline sonogram was around $700. Hysteroscopy with anesthesia was around $3500. Initial office consult was around $350.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
I had a hysteroscopy and the Dr who did the surgery, and Dr Minjarez gave me specific information about the drugs I was to take and the timing of the drugs. Then when the nurse called for follow up she had the information down differently. But she did call back with the correct information.
Debra Minjarez
San Francisco

We did an IUI cycle with letrozole and trigger shot [with Dr. Peter Klatsky]. I asked for letrozole over clomid because I had researched that it had fewer side effects...We’ve decided to start with 3 cycles of IUI and if need be go to IVF next. He was very warm and optimistic at all my ultrasounds and I didn’t feel rushed...he’s to the point but not dry. He’s optimistic but also realistic. We went in with unexplained infertility, he explained in detail both the IUI and IVF procedures.
My care coordinator Kelsey [at Spring Fertility] is fantastic! She’s always prompt in responding to my emails and helped me check off everything I needed to get done prior to starting out IUI cycle. I really like working with her. While she was gone on vacation, I still felt very taken care of by the other staff at Spring...Each IUI is about $1600. Letrozole and trigger shot about $100ish...Clean and modern facility. You get access to the Spring portal online that has everything you need for your cycle which is great. I’d get texts a few hours before I had to take my pills as a reminder and to check to make sure I had the correct dosage. The staff are all very friendly.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Klatsky is optimistic but also realistic. He’ll explain everything in detail if you ask him to. I came prepared with a list of questions at the consultation and he answered all of them with patience. My ultrasound appointments were smooth, I appreciated his positivity.
Come prepared with questions! You’re your own advocate.
I really like Dr. Klatsky, he’s to the point but not dry. He’s optimistic but also realistic. We went in with unexplained infertility, he explained in detail both the IUI and IVF procedures. We’ve decided to start with 3 cycles of IUI and if need be go to IVF next. He was very warm and optimistic at all my ultrasounds and I didn’t feel rushed. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask, in fact I recommend to always come with questions and he’ll answer them for you.
We did an IUI cycle with letrozole and trigger shot. I asked for letrozole over clomid because I had researched that it had fewer side effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
My care coordinator Kelsey is fantastic! She’s always prompt in responding to my emails and helped me check off everything I needed to get done prior to starting out IUI cycle. I really like working with her. While she was gone on vacation, I still felt very taken care of by the other staff at Spring.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Each IUI is about $1600. Letrozole and trigger shot about $100ish.
Peter Klatsky
San Francisco

[Dr. Nam Tran is] not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary...made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
[Spring Fertility has a] Concierge feel. Beautiful facilities, incredible medical team. I loved being able to work with Dr. Klatsky and Dr. Harris when Dr. Tran was out of the office. Both are incredible doctors. The surgery nurse is stellar...My experiences with the entire team were incredibly positive with the exception of Yvette. While she was very competent, her demeanor was lacking in compassion. Her delivery of our - positive!!! - pregnancy blood test results sounded like she was telling me my puppy died. TWICE...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
The proof is in the pudding. I'm a 42-year old woman, using my own eggs and husband's sperm, and am currently 20-weeks pregnant after a single embryo transfer! Dr. Tran is matter-of-fact and VERY data-based meaning he doesn't waste time with frivolous treatment without proven efficacy. After two failed transfers in LA, my doctor there had me going down rabbit holes. Not so with Dr. Tran! He reads all of the studies so you don't have to. At the same time Dr. Tran really, really cares about your outcomes. I have video of Dr. Tran in our first ultrasound, grinning from ear-to-ear. As we're all first laying eyes on our baby to be, Dr. Tran is ecstatically exclaiming "you've got a one good one!"
Don't be afraid to ask questions and be open to data-based answers. Like I said, he's not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes.
1. Dr. Tran REALLY cares--I have a photo of him grinning from ear to ear as he is conducting my first ultrasound post-transfer, confirming our pregnancy! 2. The entire team converses with you in calming, collegial, layman's terms. 3. Every time I walked into the clinic, I was greeted with my name (without looking at the chart). 4. The demeanor of doctors, nurses, and staff, along with the physical setup of the office, are all very peaceful (i.e., designed with the human being in mind).
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
We chose eSET because of my risk factors: age and two previous ectopic pregnancies. That was absolutely the right thought process and decision!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
San Francisco

I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended [by Dr. Nam Tran] an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try...He had a VERY, very, very, very strong preference for eSET due to my age and PGS-tested AA grade embryos.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff [at Spring Fertility]. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely...18k for stimulation/retrieval including icsi and pgs. around 4k for medications. 4500-5000 for FET. then $950 for saline sono and $450 for the last appointment to confirm pregnancy before graduating to my regular OB...I think the clinic is pretty great and their doctors, embryologists, and nursing staff are top notch. I also had no issues with billing or with any other clinic interactions. Spring was also one of the only Bay Area clinics that weren't transphobic and queerphobic, and that counted for a lot for us.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I absolutely loved Dr. Tran. He was super straightforward, answered all my questions and beyond, and performed all procedures skillfully. He was also very respectful of me and my partner at every opportunity. It is a pretty rare situation that I leave a serious conversation with a doctor feeling pretty good about everything - even if the answer isn't necessarily what i wanted - but somehow he managed to make that happen.
I spend a lot of my time dealing with healthcare advocacy for others, so Dr. Tran's bluntness was a big positive. But if that's not working for you, I would highly recommend Dr. Harris, who I think was my favorite for bedside manner out of all the doctors at Spring that I saw in brief.
The attention to detail and the way everyone communicated with me felt very personalized. Everything from consideration of names and pronouns, to timely updates.
I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely.
San Francisco

[Dr. Tran] first assessed my case in the summer of 2019. He was the second doctor to assess me for IVF. I was 37, I am BRCA1 positive, and I was told I have a diminished ovarian reserve...was VERY good at explaining that I would need several rounds of IVF if I had a hope of freezing my eggs, what the costs of that would be, and how we might manage things going forward...can actually have the luxury of filtering our embryos for the deleterious BRCA1 gene mutation...Don't expect a warm bedside manner, but expect excellent results.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is great, convenient location, relaxing atmosphere, answers are readily available, very modern facilities. All ultrasounds are visible to the patient. All appointments started & ended on time, it was easy to coordinate...EXTREMELY efficient and professional. They have great systems, my care was handled by people who were always aware of where I am in my treatment...Total costs for 3 rounds of IVF, genetic testing, egg freezing and one implantation were close to $60,000.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran first assessed my case in the summer of 2019. He was the second doctor to assess me for IVF. I was 37, I am BRCA1 positive, and I was told I have a diminished ovarian reserve. This was the conclusion at UCSF, which dr. Tran confirmed. Both dr. Tran and the other clinic were not optimistic about my chances of getting embryos, however, dr. Tran was VERY good at explaining that I would need several rounds of IVF if I had a hope of freezing my eggs, what the costs of that would be, and how we might manage things going forward. We decided to go ahead with one round of egg retrieval, and move forward depending on the result. Unbelievably enough, the first round was successful beyond all our plans & expectations, with 12 eggs retrieved during the first cycle alone. We understood that we are in a whole different ballgame, and given that there is no problem harvesting my eggs, we can actually have the luxury of filtering our embryos for the deleterious BRCA1 gene mutation. This result is life changing. We went ahead with further two rounds of egg retrieval and embryo freezing. We managed to get enough eggs to produce 10 day 6 blastocysts. Out of those, 5 were free of BRCA1. Hooray! We went ahead and implanted our first embryo 2 months ago. Knock on wood, things went very well. I am 38, and this is my first pregnancy. I am over the moon! The result speaks for itself. The experience, though by no means physically pleasant, was as efficient, easy and painless as it could possibly be. There was no time when I didn't know what the next step was. All decisions were pretty clear, at each fork in the road, I knew what my options were. The clinic was easy to reach. They were always on top of things, nobody was ever confused (clearly they have a great system of patient records). All appointments were fast and on time. I am really really pleased with how things went, would recommend Dr. Tran to my best friend 100 times, if they ever had trouble conceiving.
Don't expect a warm bedside manner, but expect excellent results.
I felt that the clinic was EXTREMELY efficient and professional. They have great systems, my care was handled by people who were always aware of where I am in my treatment, and what the next steps were, I was never in the dark. Dr. Tran doesn't have the warmest manner, but that was a minor factor, given how well my care was handled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira Dharmasukrit)
Onjira was excellent, easy to reach, had the correct answers, was always on top of things. Great nurse to work with. 100% recommend.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is great, convenient location, relaxing atmosphere, answers are readily available, very modern facilities. All ultrasounds are visible to the patient. All appointments started & ended on time, it was easy to coordinate.
Total costs for 3 rounds of IVF, genetic testing, egg freezing and one implantation were close to $60,000. Nothing was covered by insurance.