Danville
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Mountain View (closed)
2490 Hospital Dr
Mountain View, CA 94040

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going... He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field...Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%... Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. ..He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way....
I love love love the clinic [Spring Fertility]. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going. We are awaiting our FET having undergone an egg retrieval and PGS testing we have 6 healthy embryos waiting for us. He predicted we would have 3 but would do everything he could to make it more and he did just that. He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field. I never questioned him because I had full faith he knew what he was doing and I was in the best hands possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran has a dry sense of humour and is not the warm and cuddly type- he is a wildly clever doctor so don’t expect cuddles and a shoulder to cry on. He is fact driven, experienced and knows best so trust him. He was literally at the clinic every single time I went- 7am in the morning, Sunday’s, he was there. That’s what I want in a doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%. He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
I did 14 days of stims using menopur and cetrotide. I had 7 monitoring visits before my egg retrieval and after each visit my dosages were changed to suit my blood results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira )
Onjira was my primary care nurse and she was ok. Not the same level at Helen or Ava or any of the other nurses that helped me each visit. She did her job and was helpful when necessary but I think Dr. Tran deserves a better nurse.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I love love love the clinic. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.
So far we have paid $18,750 for egg retrieval, $4400 for meds, $900 for additional embryo biopsy, and I believe FET will be $4500. All up it will cost well over $30,000- more if our FET is unsuccessful.
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
I am yet to transfer but Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. I am happy with this as I don’t want to put my body through any undue stress.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr.Minjarez always communicates clearly and directly. She would send me current research on my condition and explain why she recommended particular tests....My one complaint is that because she is so direct, it sometimes feels like she is not the most empathetic with my feelings/journey. With that being said, my partner loves that she is very direct. I also had some issues with seeing different doctors (she is based in Oakland and I live in SF so elected to see some of the Drs in the SF office for routine sonograms). Due to some communication issues, I elected not to do that for this most recent transfer cycle and have been happy with Dr.Minjarez being my only provider.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Dr.Minjarez always communicates clearly and directly. She would send me current research on my condition and explain why she recommended particular tests. My case has been complicated, due to multiple miscarriages and a few set backs along the way. She has handled everything in stride and is confident in her decisions when it has been necessary to change the course of treatment. My one complaint is that because she is so direct, it sometimes feels like she is not the most empathetic with my feelings/journey. With that being said, my partner loves that she is very direct. I also had some issues with seeing different doctors (she is based in Oakland and I live in SF so elected to see some of the Drs in the SF office for routine sonograms). Due to some communication issues, I elected not to do that for this most recent transfer cycle and have been happy with Dr.Minjarez being my only provider.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
She is brilliant and knows about all of the recent research. She is very direct and will not tell you something that she does not fully mean/believe. Because she is so direct, if you want someone who is more empathetic, it might not be the best fit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Dr.Minjarez has taken the time to call me after hours to talk about next steps. For example, after I had an early loss with my first transfer, she called me to talk about what we could do to move forward. She also took time to get to know me and my partner.
Describe the protocols Debra Minjarez used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
For my most recent FET, I did 2.5 months of Lupron following a diagnosis of diffused adenomyosis. I then did a controlled cycle using estrogen patches and progesterone in oil injections. After my first transfer ended in an early loss, she had me tested for endometritis using a CD138 stain. (It was negative)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Flo)
The nursing staff at Spring has been so helpful and caring. My care coordinator is responsive to my questions via call and email. I have also had a great experience anytime I have had to call in on the weekend for urgent requests (one time I was traveling and did not have the right medications and they immediately helped me find a local pharmacy that had the medication I needed).
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring is very clean and has state of the art equipment. There are 4 full time doctors, which is on the smaller side compared to some other clinics we considered. My complaint is that it seems like the doctors do not have the best communication procedures in place. I had a cancelled FET cycle and had seen 2 separate doctors and a nurse practitioner and it did not seem like there was clear communication. Once I decided to only go to Oakland to see my Dr. this was not an issue, but something to consider if you are planning on seeing doctors at a different location than your primary Dr.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Spring Fertility.
There was a window of time for monitoring appointments but I never had to wait for more than 10 mins and they were almost always right on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility.
I think Egg Retrieval and PGS testing was around $25,000. Each FET has been between $3000-5500
Describe Debra Minjarez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
We were not given the option for multiple embryo transfer. I am not sure if this is standard procedure for my clinic or if it is because of my uterine issues.
San Francisco

Dr Tran is an incredible doctor- his knowledge of reproduction and his role in making it happen is astounding. I respect how efficient Dr Tran was at all of my appointments, I felt like he was always present and invested in our success. I felt safe, supported and 100% confident in his abilities as my doctor. ... He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays.
One of the things I most appreciated about Spring is their convenience. They are open every day of the year, they open at 7:30am so all of my monitoring appointments happened before work, they were always on time, I never waited and the facilities are spotless. There is parking available on site too, which made life so much easier. ... Onjira was my nurse and she was just ok. I am not one to ask too many questions but she didn’t seem to be up to the same standard as the rest of the nursing staff. Ayda and Helen we’re both brilliant.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran is not going to sit there and give you a cuddle, if you are looking for a doctor to look you in the eyes and tell you everything is ok- that is not Dr Tran. He is smart, fast and to the point and I absolutely appreciated that about him. He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays. He must work 7 days a week, fertility and his work are clearly his passion and I felt so confident in his abilities at every step of the process.
Dr Tran will get you results, but don’t forget that this is a business and he’s a busy man. Expect the best service, honest answers and world class care.
Having done 4 unsuccessful IUIs with Kaiser and being very unimpressed with the care I received there, we moved to spring. I knew Dr Tran was our doctor and within 2 weeks of our first appointment I was starting injectables. I did a combination of menopur, gonal f and certitide for 13 days. My doses were adjusted each day depending on my daily ultrasound and blood results.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Egg retrieval- $18,500 Additional 2 embryo biopsy - $900 FET - $4500 Meds - $4400
I am yet to have my FET but have PGS rested embryos ready to go, our recommendation has been to transfer one embryo.
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.

Success w/ Doc 33 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Tran was warm, friendly and to the point. I really appreciated his ability to balance clear, candid and accurate information well also being super nice. He took the time to learn my goals, tailor the treatment, and set realistic expectations. My favorite part was that if my personal fertility goals had been different, he would have actually not recommended egg freezing. I love he was willing to turn away business if it wasn't in the best interest of his patient.
I am obsessed with this clinic. The facilities are convenient in the city, with a parking garage below and easy street meters. The ambiance is incredibly lux. The sparkling water and snacks were clutch with all the blood draws. I never had to wait long, unless I was early, but my favorite part was that patients in the waiting room were super diverse and friendly. The other patients would grab coffee and chat with each other.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Nothing! You're in great hands at Spring. The whole experience is incredible with great customer service, support and facilities.
The clinic experience was so wonderful! The nurses and receptionists made a point to learn my name, offer snacks and water when I had blood draws, and ask about events happening in my life that I had shared. They were so lovely.
I elected to freeze my eggs for later use. I was given a tailored protocol of menopur, gonal, and later cetrotide. We used a lupron trigger to help avoid OHSS. Spring adjusted my dosages almost daily for the last half of my injects to help prevent OHSS (which they did!) and provided clear communication on their online portal about medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette)
Yvette was my primary care nurse and Shirley was my scheduling coordinator. They were both incredibly responsive. Yvette was super helpful answering all my panicked emails when I thought I had done the injections wrong. She was super patient and sweet with my random questions about taking baths and tylenol too.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Progyny and my primary insurance handled all costs and billing. My out of pocket costs were minimal and covered by my yearly out of pocket maximum for all health coverage.
San Francisco
[Protocol with Dr. Debra Minjarez was] Letrozole mini-IVF stimulation because of diminished ovarian reserve...came up with a very patient-specific protocol that was different than my previous IVF protocols with previous doctors. It was the perfect protocol (mini IVF) for my specific situation (history of endometrial cancer, few eggs, diminished ovarian reserve)...I even had a recurrence of pre-cancer during my IVF treatment with her, went back to hormone therapy, and she helped me navigate through that and I am back on course. I call her my "miracle worker."
Strengths [at Spring Fertility]: location in Oakland, cleanliness, availability of appointments, greater customer care, excellent doctors...excellent embryology lab Weaknesses: all retrievals/embryo transfer procedures and weekend appointments are done at the SF office (but this is not that bad), so you might see different doctors for your procedures. (also not that bad because I trust all the Spring doctors)...My cycle coordinator, Marina, was extremely helpful over email and phone and very timely to questions I had over email. I nearly always received a response within 1 business day of my email from either Marina or another cycle coordinator/nurse. In my opinion, Spring is excellent on timeliness and customer care.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Minjarez is excellent in her thorough knowledge of infertility issues and related health issues. I was treated for endometrial cancer and had gone through 3 failed IVF cycles and had come to Dr. Minjarez as a last hope, after being referred to her by a friend and she treated me a lot of compassion, listened to my history (including cancer medications) and crafted a specific protocol (resting from medication, different medications once I started, mini-IVF letrozole stimulation) that miraculously resulted in 2 high quality embryos. I am currently going through the embryo transfer process, but she has been great all the way through. I even had a recurrence of pre-cancer during my IVF treatment with her, went back to hormone therapy, and she helped me navigate through that and I am back on course. I call her my "miracle worker."
Explain your medical history thoroughly so that Dr. Minjarez can understand how to best treat you with a specific protocol.
Dr. Minjarez came up with a very patient-specific protocol that was different than my previous IVF protocols with previous doctors. It was the perfect protocol (mini IVF) for my specific situation (history of endometrial cancer, few eggs, diminished ovarian reserve).
Resting from medication for 2 months due to over-stimulation of my ovaries from previous cancer hormone therapy and IVF treatments. Letrozole mini-IVF stimulation because of diminished ovarian reserve.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Flo (nurse) and Marina (cycle coordinator))
My nurse, Flo, was very compassionate on the phone and nearly always called whenever I needed some type of explanation for my medications. My cycle coordinator, Marina, was extremely helpful over email and phone and very timely to questions I had over email. I nearly always received a response within 1 business day of my email from either Marina or another cycle coordinator/nurse. In my opinion, Spring is excellent on timeliness and customer care.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: location in Oakland, cleanliness, availability of appointments, greater customer care, excellent doctors (previously from UCSF and Kaiser), excellent embryology lab Weaknesses: all retrievals/embryo transfer procedures and weekend appointments are done at the SF office (but this is not that bad), so you might see different doctors for your procedures. (also not that bad because I trust all the Spring doctors)
$7K (before insurance) for the 1 mini-IVF cycle, $5K for embryo transfer
None. I preferred single embryo transfer and she recommended the same.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
There was 1 incident where I was expecting a call from my nurse for ovulation trigger instructions and at 5:45pm had not received a call for instructions for that night. I called the clinic and left a voicemail. Thankfully another nurse called back immediately with the instructions, but I was a bit worried since it was a critical instructions in preparation for embryo transfer.
San Francisco

Getting the doctors to perform tests or think about diagnostics beyond IVF is darn near impossible [at Spring Fertility]. And getting results from any tests, answers to any questions, or follow up on paperwork transfers required me to pester and bother the staff far more than I should have had to...Spring is stylish and clean, but communication is difficult at best, and the doctors are hyper focused on getting the patient into IVF as opposed to creating a unique plan that includes patient input.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran was dismissive to my input and did not seem to care about what was happening with my body or why. He just wanted to override everything with IVF. He was difficult to speak with and we had to push and push to get his mind briefly off of the IVF conveyor belt to discuss our bodies. Even then, his evaluation was sub-par compared to the individualized assessment I later received at UCSF.
Be ready to fight for him to listen to you. Remember that the city is full of excellent fertility doctors so you don’t have to stay if you don’t like him.
I felt like a number because Dr. Tran just wanted to push me into IVF and did not want to consider other options. We had to twist his arm to consider anything else. When I tried to get his to pay attention to my short luteal phase, he dismissed it and blew me off. Turns out, that was the most important clue to my infertility, according to my current doctor at another clinic. At Spring, they just wanted to get me on the IVF conveyor belt instead of figuring out what was actually happening with my body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlyn and Yvette)
I had to pester and beg the coordinator and nurse to get me my results and follow up on my questions. Nothing is simple at Spring, especially basic communication with the care team.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Getting the doctors to perform tests or think about diagnostics beyond IVF is darn near impossible. And getting results from any tests, answers to any questions, or follow up on paperwork transfers required me to pester and bother the staff far more than I should have had to.
San Francisco

Upon meeting Dr.Klatsky, he did not ask us why we were there or what we were looking for. He immediately launched into a pitch about IUI and IVF. I told him that we needed to back track the conversation because we were there for fertility assessments, understanding if our bodies had any issues, and weren’t yet ready for IUI/IVF. He got pretty defensive, which tanked the remainder of the discussion. We got a little bit of information from him, but not nearly the amount we would have gotten if he had met us where we wanted information instead of trying to shove us into the IVF/IUI sales pitch box.
I had to constantly be on top of my nurses and coordinators [at Spring Fertility], especially to share results with me when they came from an outside lab (and therefore didn’t auto-update the Portal), to take my questions to the doctor and get back to me with answers, and to ultimately send my records to my new clinic...The Spring portal system is clunky and difficult to navigate. Staff needs to be contacted multiple times for follow through, no matter if it is a question about medication, scheduling, or trying to transfer my records to another clinic. I am constantly sending them reminder emails.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Klatsky was there to sell us IUI/IVF. We had to push him to get off that track and discuss our bodies, where we are physically, and where we are on this journey (at the time, we weren’t ready for IUI/IVF). When I redirected the conversation, I accidentally referred to embryos as babies, prompting a long, condescending lecture on how embryos are a distinct protected class. As a patient, it is not my job to get all of the terms right. I do not have an MD. I should not be spoken to that way when I slip up on fertility vocab. It is my job to get what I need out of an appointment and with Dr. Klatsky, that was a struggle. He didn’t connect to what we wanted, he was focused from the get go on selling us IUI/IVF, and he became defensive and condescending when we tried to direct the conversation to where we needed it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Before he has a chance to speak, tell him your expectations for the appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Describe the protocols Peter Klatsky used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
We did not pursue treatment with Klatsky after the initial meeting. I could not trust him as a partner on our fertility journey.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The Spring portal system is clunky and difficult to navigate. Staff needs to be contacted multiple times for follow through, no matter if it is a question about medication, scheduling, or trying to transfer my records to another clinic. I am constantly sending them reminder emails. I tried to work with two doctors at Spring and felt like I was being shoved onto their IVF conveyor belt by both. My input was outright dismissed by both doctors, a big no-no in a process that has to be collaborative. Both doctor experiences were an IVF/IUI sales pitch. (For context, I am seeing a new doctor now who doesn’t see IVF as a first or even second choice for me).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility.
I don’t remember much because it was covered by insurance. But the genetic testing was pricey. $250-$450 after insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
I had to constantly be on top of my nurses and coordinators, especially to share results with me when they came from an outside lab (and therefore didn’t auto-update the Portal), to take my questions to the doctor and get back to me with answers, and to ultimately send my records to my new clinic.
San Francisco

In order to meet with Dr. Tran, we had to pay $200. He provided us with a 15 minute overview of the IUI process and said that we would be a good candidate for natural IUI. ... After our initial consultation, we never saw him again, nor heard from him in anyway. You are simply a number to Dr. Tran ... He is not warm, or compassionate and does not have any involvement in your treatment plan. It is all handled by Ursula, the RN.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is very nice and new. They have snacks and water, and are always on time. The weaknesses are the level of doctors care and their desire to help patients, and not just make money. The waiting room often smells like smoke. ... Ursula is a good nurse, but she is just as much of a machine as Dr. Tran. She is always on time, but wants to get patients in and out as fast as possible. She doesn't provide you with any analysis of the results. She simply hands you a piece of paper, and expects you to understand them.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I had one of the worst experiences ever at Spring. The only time that I ever saw Dr. Tran was during my initial consultation which he only spent 15 minutes with my husband and me. You are simply a number to Dr. Tran, and he does not customize your plan or treatment in anyway. It is all handled by the nurse, Ursula. None of my ultrasounds or IUI's were performed by Dr. Tran, nor did he ever provide me with any information on any of the results from our previous unsuccessful rounds of IUI. Dr Tran is not compassionate, warm, and thoughtful in his practice of medicine. In addition, my sister in law was identified with stage 4 endometriosis which was not identified or communicated to her in the year that she was under the care of Dr. Tran. Due to our unsatisfactory experience, we have switched from Dr. Tran's care and have received much better, personalized care with new doctors.
Ask how involved he is with his patients and what his level of care of will be for your particular plan.
In order to meet with Dr. Tran, we had to pay $200. He provided us with a 15 minute overview of the IUI process and said that we would be a good candidate for natural IUI. He was concerned about having multiples, so he recommenced natural IUI as I had been pregnant two the times naturally. After our initial consultation, we never saw him again, nor heard from him in anyway. You are simply a number to Dr. Tran, and he is trying to get as many people through the door. He is not warm, or compassionate and does not have any involvement in your treatment plan. It is all handled by Ursula, the RN.
2 rounds of natural IUI as I had 2 successful pregnancies, 1 round of medicated IUI with Clomid. When I went to see my new doctor, she said that my lining was too thin on Clomid and that it would not have likely resulted in a positive pregnancy. Since he was not involved in my care and never reviewed my results, he was not able to make informed decisions and would have recommended another round of Clomid had I not switched doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ursula)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is very nice and new. They have snacks and water, and are always on time. The weaknesses are the level of doctors care and their desire to help patients, and not just make money. The waiting room often smells like smoke.
$850 for each round of natural IUI, $1500 for each round of medicated IUI

Treated 2014 - 2018
Compared to another fertility practice I've worked with, I feel like Dr. Tran understands and empathizes with the person behind the treatment. I think it's why he founded his own practice - to be able to offer a more caring environment to patients who are going through all the trials and tribulations of fertility treatment.... Dr. Tran is very candid about what a patient can expect from treatment based on age and other contributing factors. His approach is kind but verges on being blunt. I actually appreciate it and prefer it to the vague politeness of my former doctor.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I worked with Dr. Tran to conceive my son via IUI when he was at a different practice. It happened on the first try. I remember being impressed with how realistic and almost sober he was about the expected outcome, but how precise he was with my treatment. And it worked - we got pregnant on our first IUI and had a healthy child. Three years later, after several failed IVF cycles at that same practice in an effort to conceive a second child, I learned that Dr. Tran had actually founded his own practice in the city. I switched and began working with him. We are still in progress with the first IVF cycle at Spring, transferring the embryos from my first retrieval. Unfortunately we have had two frozen transfers that have been unsuccessful so far. I do understand that I have egg quality issues due to age that are limiting my chances of success. However, my previous fertility doctor offered no new ideas after each failure and only suggested that we repeat the same thing over and over. I trust Dr. Tran more to guide us through the process, taking into account each setback and adjusting the approach accordingly. He is very precise and seems to pay attention to each small detail of my hormone levels and responses to different medication, more so than my other doctor. Plus I somehow feel like he is more invested in the success of my outcome. I trust him to do the very best for me.
Dr. Tran is very candid about what a patient can expect from treatment based on age and other contributing factors. His approach is kind but verges on being blunt. I actually appreciate it and prefer it to the vague politeness of my former doctor. However I can see how very sensitive patients who may be new to the process could potentially not respond as well.
Compared to another fertility practice I've worked with, I feel like Dr. Tran understands and empathizes with the person behind the treatment. I think it's why he founded his own practice - to be able to offer a more caring environment to patients who are going through all the trials and tribulations of fertility treatment. He's candid about what results I can expect, but I personally find that more caring than a RE who is vague. He always remembers my name and status of treatment, and makes time to call me back personally when I call the on-call doctor line with a question.
In my successful IUI cycle with Dr. Tran, we used Clomid and a trigger shot injection (can't remember which). I remember thinking that the Clomid dose sounded high and questioning it with the nurse, but obviously it was the right dose because it produced a successful outcome. In my current IVF cycle with Dr. Tran, we used Aygestin, Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide with a Novel trigger shot for the retrieval. We did not do a fresh transfer the first time because my progesterone levels were too high for a successful outcome. With the embryos from that retrieval we've done two frozen transfers with a protocol of birth control pills, Lupron and Vivelle patches. Unfortunately neither have been successful. We have one more embryo to transfer to finish out this cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna Stencer / Allie Bell)
Compared to my previous practice I've found the nursing team at Spring to be more compassionate, better communicators and more detail-oriented with the medication orders. I've enjoyed working with them. They seem to enjoy what they do.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I appreciate that Spring really does try to provide a boutique fertility clinic experience that counters the experience of being "just a number" that I had at a larger fertility clinic. The atmosphere is welcoming and feels like a healing environment. I feel calmer there than I did at my previous clinic, and I've felt calmer and more cared for during the procedures. Everyone I've interacted with so far has been nothing but professional. The billing team has been very professional and proactive, giving me a much better sense of the financial commitment of each treatment up-front.
My IVF retrieval was approximately $12,000, and each transfer has been approximately $3750 (with a self-pay discount).
When we were with our former practice, we insisted on transferring one embryo at a time because we want to avoid twins. Dr. Tran on the other hand educated us up-front on the statistical probabilities of different outcomes for me. It helped my husband and I see that due to our ages, transferring single embryos is unlikely to result in a successful outcome. When explained in terms of the statistics, this helped us get more comfortable with transferring several embryos at one time.

Success w/ Doc 5 Eggs Frozen
Tran is not a touchy-feely type, but I still always felt like he was giving me care directed at me, specifically. He is very aware of the extreme fertility hardships faced by me and and my husband (azoospermia), and is sensitive to that and tailors his recommendations to our specific situation.... Dr. Tran is an excellent clinician and scientist. He is well-informed in his craft, careful, and practices strong, evidence-based medicine. I trust him completely to get the best outcome for us, and I feel very secure that I'm getting the best treatment I can from him.
Spring has a lot going for it. Excellent doctors. Top-notch staff. Gorgeous clinics. Maybe the best lab in California, if not the entire west. I trust them with the most important medical care I've ever received in my life, and that is saying something.... My only complaint is that they seem almost too busy. Doctors are often rushed (for example, my doctor didn't have time to come back and check on me for even a second after my egg retrieva
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is an excellent clinician and scientist. He is well-informed in his craft, careful, and practices strong, evidence-based medicine. I trust him completely to get the best outcome for us, and I feel very secure that I'm getting the best treatment I can from him. I also think he is sensitive to patients' resources, and doesn't recommend a lot of extra bells and whistles if he doesn't think they're necessary. That said, he is lukewarm about newer treatments (ERA, HGH) because they don't have as much evidence behind them, and if you're looking for a kitchen-sink approach, he may not give you what you want (or he may only do so after you do some convincing of him yourself). He is not the strongest on bedside manner (which doesn't matter to me), but if you're looking for a warm-and-fuzzy doctor type, you might consider one of the other doctors at the practice. He is also incredibly busy, so don't expect him to spend a ton of time with you. That said, I felt like I got all the time I needed to have good care (just not one second more).
Go in to appointments with a list of questions ready. He will answer them, but you need to be prepared to know what you want out of the visit. I even went into monitoring appointments with a single question on a post-it so I could be ready to ask him as I was getting an ultrasound!
Tran is not a touchy-feely type, but I still always felt like he was giving me care directed at me, specifically. He is very aware of the extreme fertility hardships faced by me and and my husband (azoospermia), and is sensitive to that and tailors his recommendations to our specific situation. He remembered what it is I do for work, my thoughts on my particular diagnosis, and even that I like to see the follicle measurements on the screen after a scan-- small things that make me feel like he cares about me, even if he is very, very, very busy and moving very fast.
Dr. Tran started me with a mid-luteal start antagonist protocol, which he seems to really like, especially for DOR patients. This involves having a baseline 5 days after you ovulate, then you do a standard antagonist protocol (Gonal-F and Menopur, with Cetrotide added 5-7 days in). The rationale behind this protocol, as I understand it, is to catch the antral follicles before they start to develop at the beginning of your next cycle. I had expected results for my biology, and I am using the exact same protocol for my second cycle, but with a controlled start after a short course (10-day) of birth control.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira)
Spring has an excellent nursing staff. They are very communicative, and respond quickly to my calls and emails with the information I need. I sometimes worry they're a little overworked, because I've had a few completely inconsequential errors happen (calling the same birth control prescription into my local pharmacy twice because she forgot she did it the first time). However, anything that was important was handled flawlessly, and it seems like they've been adding staff to deal with demand.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has a lot going for it. Excellent doctors. Top-notch staff. Gorgeous clinics. Maybe the best lab in California, if not the entire west. I trust them with the most important medical care I've ever received in my life, and that is saying something. They're open seven days a week, and nearly always available (I honestly don't know how they do it!). My only complaint is that they seem almost too busy. Doctors are often rushed (for example, my doctor didn't have time to come back and check on me for even a second after my egg retrieval, which would have been a nice sign of compassion). Occasionally the waiting room is so crowded there is nowhere to sit. Non-urgent appointments can sometimes take a while to schedule. That said, once you're getting treatment from Spring, if you need an appointment, they will make it happen. I just hope they continue to add staff to meet demand, and that they don't take more patients than they can handle.
Egg Cryo Cycle (2018 price) - $8,750; subsequent cycles are 10% off.
Dr. Tran strongly prefers a eSET for me, due to previous surgery on my cervix. He has encouraged us to do PGS testing and to transfer one embryo at a time, when we get there.
San Francisco

he [Dr. Tran] is thorough and empathetic. When both FETs failed (one chemical and one negative) he was understanding but upbeat about our potential to get pregnant eventually...Dr. Tran is extremely experienced and well-respected. However, there are times when I didn't understand the drug protocol or certain choices he made and I felt like I had to really push him or the nurse to explain to me what the drugs were supposed to do, why I was being prescribed certain things, if there were risks or side effects with the drugs or procedures. It's important to be vocal with him in order to get questions answered.
Spring SF is in a convenient location, a nice office building and they've created peaceful space. The front desk staff is considerate and organized. The lab is top notch (based on our retrieval results). All of the doctors I've seen there have been excellent - Dr. M, Dr. Klatsky and Ursula...Allie [nurse] is very responsive on email and phone. She's compassionate, patient with questions and knowledgeable. She seems to be very well-educated and sensitive to both Dr. Tran and his patients.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Come to the appointment with a list of questions, be prepared to push to get your questions answered. He is respectful of questions but can come off as dismissive. This isn't personal, it's just his manner. He believes in evidence and facts, he isn't swayed by hearsay, paramedical advice and naturopathic solutions.
Dr Tran and his team are very attentive, he is thorough and empathetic. When both FETs failed (one chemical and one negative) he was understanding but upbeat about our potential to get pregnant eventually.
Prior to Spring, I had one live birth (10 yr old daughter) and two miscarriages (at approx 6 weeks). Spring put me through the normal regimen of tests and scans which revealed my right tube is blocked from an appendectomy when I was a teenager. Dr Tran's advice was to try IUI first. We did one IUI which resulted in a negative and another IUI was cancelled as I was ovulating on the side that was blocked. My husband and I decided to proceed more aggressively with IVF (I'm 39, he's 42). Our first retrieval was smooth, we got 6 mature eggs, all fertilized and grew to day 6. PGS, returned 3 normal embryos. We had the option to know the gender but decided not to find out. Dr Tran gave me a 70% chance of live birth. We did two FETs with one embryo each (Spring is firmly against transferring more than one Day 5 PGS tested embryo). Understandably, we were very very disappointed when both failed. One negative and one chemical pregnancy. I pressed Dr. Tran for answers. He didn't see any reason to change the FET protocol. I asked for an ERA, but he disagrees with this procedure. He offered to do an endometrium scratch, which I went through with but don't know that it helped much since the second FET also failed. With only one embryo left, we did some research and asked him to do another retrieval and FET at the same time (something they call a Switcheroo - not the medical term). We're currently heading into our second retrieval. He has prescribed Lupron, the Gonal F/Menopur and Omnitrope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allie)
Allie is very responsive on email and phone. She's compassionate, patient with questions and knowledgeable. She seems to be very well-educated and sensitive to both Dr. Tran and his patients.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Retrieval is approximately $17,500 + $5,500 for medication. (Includes PGS testing). FET is approximately $4,500. IUI is approximately $1,500. Saline Ultrasound $950. HSG $900. Endometrium Scratch $300. Office visit $175 (if it's an additional visit)
Dr. Tran was very clear that multiple embryo transfer presents many risks and he'd prefer to only transfer one embryo. We agreed so we didn't ask for more specific information.
San Francisco
Dr. Klatsky is extremely intelligent and a very dedicated, hard working doctor. He's at the office everyday. I saw him every visit and he never seemed in a rush. I like to know ALL the details to be fully 100% informed, and every time I asked questions he was willing to explain. ... I felt most like a human in his care after my first failed fresh transfer. He called to inform me it was negative and genuinely sounded disappointed with me. During my visits he listened to all of my concerns and helped me discern what was "my fault" and what absolutely wasn't my fault.
Spring is an amazing clinic. It has a very calm, friendly, chic vibe with dim lights in the treatment rooms and top notch equipment. A weakness - be prepared to wait in the lobby at least 10 mins after your appt. time. I think they run behind and I've seen other patients get impatient. ... Some appointments were untimely for a full time employee, but I knew IVF was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, so I mostly did whatever the clinic needed for me timing wise. Sometimes there was flexibility in monitoring. They were always personal and always caring.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Klatsky is friendly, warm, gentle, direct and honest. I felt most like a human in his care after my first failed fresh transfer. He called to inform me it was negative and genuinely sounded disappointed with me. During my visits he listened to all of my concerns and helped me discern what was "my fault" and what absolutely wasn't my fault.
1 IUI with Clomid because I needed 3 IUIs in order to move onto IVF for my insurance. (I did 2 other IUIs through Kaiser.) No babies produced. Then I did 1 round of IVF resulting in 4 perfect embryos - 1 failed fresh transfer and 1 positive FET - currently 8 weeks. (I had NEVER had a positive pregnancy test, so it's possible!)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Dr. Klatsky's team was VERY kind and compassionate. There seems to be a lot of nurses, which made for a confusing experience to begin with, but everyone was friendly and professional!
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Coming from Kaiser, Spring is an amazing clinic. It has a very calm, friendly, chic vibe with dim lights in the treatment rooms and top notch equipment. A weakness - be prepared to wait in the lobby at least 10 mins after your appt. time. I think they run behind and I've seen other patients get impatient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Spring Fertility.
I was covered by insurance for IVF so I paid about $3500 for their facilities across the hall of the office (for retrieval and transfers), maybe around $5000 for things not covered, and around $4000 for meds all out of pocket. I also paid out of pocket $4500 for FET.
Describe Peter Klatsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
He would NOT have transferred more than 1 embryo. He was very vocally positive IVF would work for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
There were A LOT of names and nurses for me to keep track of. My perception was that they do this everyday as a job, but I was brand new to everything IVF. I had no idea I needed to stay on top of my inbox for an email from them, even though I had already discussed everything in detail with the nurse at the clinic after my appointment. Halfway through my IVF meds, they simplified and only had 1 nurse contact me with next steps, which was more organized and thoughtful. I knew what to look for. I would suggest for the patient to set expectations on communication from day 1.

Treated 2017 - 2018
The first IUI he wasn't available so his collegue performed the IUI, which he was nice, reassuring and careful. I am hoping to see Dr Tran on the next IUI... was very nice on the first visit. It went thoroughly with us on the treatment possibilities and we felt comfortable in proceeding with IUI treatments. He advised us for me to check the Fallopian tubes to check that was not a reason for infertility and also did an ultrasound to check that my uterus was well. The next time I saw him was during the Fallopian test, he was very kind and give me comfort knowing how uncomfortable and painful the test could be.
I had to point out to the clinic coordinator [at Spring Fertility] how I was not feeling care by the nurse I was assigned as she didn't do any follow ups after contacting her couple of times due to my lack of period for 2 months after the first IUI. I asked to get another nurse assigned that could match our needs but they reassured us that in the future she will be more attentive. Dr Tran's Dr assistant , which performs the baseline and follow up ultrasounds was always very nice and attentive.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran was very nice on the first visit. It went thoroughly with us on the treatment possibilities and we felt comfortable in proceeding with IUI treatments. He advised us for me to check the Fallopian tubes to check that was not a reason for infertility and also did an ultrasound to check that my uterus was well. The next time I saw him was during the Fallopian test, he was very kind and give me comfort knowing how uncomfortable and painful the test could be. The first IUI he wasn't available so his collegue performed the IUI, which he was nice, reassuring and careful. I am hoping to see Dr Tran on the next IUI.
Dr Tran was knowledgeable and honest on what to expect from the treatments and very nice to start with. However, if things go wrong as it happens to us, it seems like they have more patients than doctors in the clinic, so their follow up protocols lack in attention, so you have to make sure to follow up when you feel you need answers. Be prepared for the journey to be emotionally draining and don't expect emotional support from Spring.
After our first IUI I didn't get my period for 2 months. I contacted the nurse that was assigned to me from Dr Tran's team at the time to let her know from the beginning that there was something wrong, but there was never a follow up from the nurse or doctor even afterwards after the IUI. After 2 months of us following up and asking what was wrong with us, we had to suggest for them to do test as I was very regular in my periods before the IUI. Then I had to let them know how disappointed and frustrated we were as as went to that clinic specifically as they advertise how they treat patients like human and we felt over the 2 month period. No follow up from Dr Tran or his team was done and we didn't hear from them unless we contacted them. They apologized and promised to be put more attention and follow closely our progress, that is why we decided to carry on with them.
IUI with Clomid. He decided to do IUI vs IVF as he thought it was a good point to start based on our history and the results from the blood and sperm test they run. The IUI was negative and I had a cyst , they told me that Clomid could produce cysts. I also didn't get my period for 2 months. I am in the middle of my 2nd IUI with Letrozole , which I suggested myself as to use something different from Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
I had to point out to the clinic coordinator how I was not feeling care by the nurse I was assigned as she didn't do any follow ups after contacting her couple of times due to my lack of period for 2 months after the first IUI. I asked to get another nurse assigned that could match our needs but they reassured us that in the future she will be more attentive. Dr Tran's Dr assistant , which performs the baseline and follow up ultrasounds was always very nice and attentive.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: modern and very nice and clean facility . No waiting time they call you in very soon after arrival. Weakness: you have to deal with many people so it gets confusing. You only see Dr Tran on the initial visit and then the rest is managed by coordinators, nurses and doctor assistans so if you are a person that like personal treatment this may not be the best place.
Initial Consultation $560 Blood test /Sperm $100 (with Insurance) Genetic test $1000 IUI $600/IUI Ultrasound $400/ ultrasound

Success w/ Doc 10 Eggs Frozen
I felt that he [Dr. Nam Tran] had a strong work ethic, an empathy, and a consideration for others...From our initial appointment forward, I was struck by Dr Tran’s humility. He seemed to genuinely care and I felt like he was not motivated by money, but actually respectful of my limited finances...I am not in a relationship but I want to preserve my fertility for the chance to have a biological child with someone down the road. I was upfront with Dr Tran about my expectations, which are low due to my age. He was honest without being patronizing (as I’d maybe expected?) and he was even optimistic given my healthy prior AMA pregnancy. It should be mentioned that spring’s financing plan is what drew me to the clinic; but once there and after meeting Dr Tran I was very confident I was at the right place.
I liked the clinic [Spring Fertility] because its surgery center is state of the art. It’s waiting room and reception are comfortable and thoughtful without being over-the-top...Dr Tran did a mid-luteal retrieval— I began injections midway into my cycle, so my body was in a suspended state of ovulation when he did the retrieval. As I understand it, this is a new protocol that was previously used in extreme cases (I.e., cancer patients) but has had great results. We did, in fact, get good numbers (10 mature eggs retrieved).
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I sought to do one round of egg retrieval/ cryopreservatuon because my insurance doesn’t cover and it is all I can afford. I am 41 years old and have one child who is 1 years old. I am not in a relationship but I want to preserve my fertility for the chance to have a biological child with someone down the road. I was upfront with Dr Tran about my expectations, which are low due to my age. He was honest without being patronizing (as I’d maybe expected?) and he was even optimistic given my healthy prior AMA pregnancy. It should be mentioned that spring’s financing plan is what drew me to the clinic; but once there and after meeting Dr Tran I was very confident I was at the right place.
I think his bedside manner speaks for itself. He is approachable and kind.
From our initial appointment forward, I was struck by Dr Tran’s humility. He seemed to genuinely care and I felt like he was not motivated by money, but actually respectful of my limited finances. I’m not certain of his background (I had been referred by a friend; I only knew he was a great doctor) but I felt that he had a strong work ethic, an empathy, and a consideration for others that I don’t typically associate with doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna Stencer )
There was a cadre of nurses— I saw a different one each time I camein for blood draws and ultrasounds. Still, I got the impression they all knew my chart and worked in concert. There were only two instances of disconnect/ miscommunication. It was mostly in the phone process. If I needed to call in to make an allotment change, or with a question, I was routed through a tortuous phone system of extensions. In one instance my voicemail message for a changed appointment was never received. Sometimes you just need a live person to pick up the phone— particularly if it’s during business hours. Emails fairedbetter, and I generally received a response within 12 hours of my request.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I liked the clinic because its surgery center is state of the art. It’s waiting room and reception are comfortable and thoughtful without being over-the-top. In a previous clinic, a recent lobby renovation and the building itself - on the waterfront with sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay - was beautiful but made me feel as if my check was helping to fund their real estate rather than my service.
$15k over three years. Financing plan with 0%apr including freezing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Covered in previous question.

Treated 2017 - 2018
He takes the time to check in and see how we're doing at every appointment. He doesn't EVER seem rushed to move on to another client. He is funny yet also takes the time to explain everything to us...Dr. Tran is a big believer in "less is more". We had a low dose of Menopur and Gonal-f for our stim cycle. ...He just sits back and listens when he needs to and asks probing questions when necessary. When our transfer didn't work, he called to check in and was sympathetic to our needs at that time.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
With my other healthcare professionals, I call him my favorite nerd. He goes into so much detail if you ask questions and explains everything we want to know. He gets excited about how the numbers progress and even has little jokes about what is going on. I really appreciate his approach and expertise in the area. From our first meeting, I knew he was the right doctor for us. He is so knowledgeable and easy to talk to. There aren't many doctors that we interviewed that make you feel comfortable in an IVF clinic. Dr. Tran does that. He just sits back and listens when he needs to and asks probing questions when necessary. When our transfer didn't work, he called to check in and was sympathetic to our needs at that time. He took the time on a Friday night to explain what our next choices were and what we could do vs. what he suggests we do. I feel very well taken care of with Dr. Tran.
Be honest with him. He will, without a second thought, tell you what he thinks. I really appreciate his honesty.
Dr. Tran is a big believer in "less is more". We had a low dose of Menopur and Gonal-f for our stim cycle. He worked with my teaching schedule to plan our retrieval during my Christmas break. I felt less sick during my IVF cycle than I did on some of my IUI cycles. He would rather get 10 really great mature eggs and have all of them make it to freeze than 20 eggs, and an uncomfortable, broke patient, with similar results. We had a little set back when we began our cycle, I had two cysts and he immediately said it would impact our numbers and he was right. We were originally expecting 14-16 at retrieval. He explained to me how the cysts would impact the cycle and asked me how I would like to proceed. I always let him make the decisions as he's the expert we want to control our cycle. He went along with our cycle and we had 12 follicles, 10 mature, 8 fertilized-freeze. We transferred one at day 5. We still have 7 frozen and are going through a "natural" transfer cycle again on my timelines for spring break. He's amazing!
Although I've only met Allie once at a difficult blood draw day, she was amazing and helpful then and every time I email/call. The rest of the nursing team, especially Susannah (she's who I see most of the mornings), is amazing! They're all there to support you and have a smile on their faces. They reassure you that everything's okay and help you understand when things are not.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has such a great team. They are great at patient support when you're there with them. It has been tough to get ahold of the finance department when we need support, but eventually, we get in touch with them and they're amazing and give you all the information you need. We especially love the transparency of the pricing. There are clear costs up front that allow you to budget and make decisions based on your health and your financial situation up front without having to think about the extra costs that might come up. If we had any recommendations around that it would be to get the med package. It was fantastic to not have to think about how much each vial cost, and when we needed more they supported that process even when the vial costs went up during our cycle.
$14,500 for IVF then a $1000 teacher discount. They handled our medication package which was $3700 since I respond well to meds through Alto so it gets delivered same day. Our current FET costs $3250 with a discount because our previous failed fresh transfer.
San Francisco
Dr. Klatsky is very friendly and his calm personality always put me at ease. He explained the process simply and made sure I understood everything before I left his clinic. Since we have setbacks, he knew it wasn’t what either of us wanted so he was apologetic and ensured he’s trying everything he could so we can get started and get going. He informed me of what and when to expect to start our timeline and I felt more at ease.
Spring is a very new, modern and clean clinic. They offer free snacks, beverages, WiFi and they also have a water filling “station” so you could fill your thermos. All their staff is very friendly. Weakness is probably location since they are in downtown SF. They have a parking lot, but I haven’t parked in there. Metered street parking is not hard to find around there. If your appointment is early enough, street parking is free.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Take all of his classes because they’re really informative and if they want to meet him then they should take their free IVF information session.
Dr. Klatsky asked me questions and valued my answers with complete understanding and validated my feelings. We chose to do IVF for the PGS/PGD testing and he understood that it wasn’t ideal to have to wait to start.
I’m not sure which specific protocol Dr. Klatsky put me on, but I had the saline sonogram and he saw that my uterus was healthy and smooth so I didn’t undergo a lot of testing. As I’m young, healthy and technically not infertile, I will be on menopur/Gonal-f/cetrotide/lupron. I have insulin injections as well. Dr. Klatsky said my injection amounts are a little more aggressive so they’re hoping I will produce more good quality eggs.
Helen is really friendly and very responsive to her emails. I had a lot of issues with getting my medications and Helen was very accommodating and quick with helping me call and send prescriptions to different pharmacies. I am extremely appreciative of her friendly can-do attitude and speedy responses!
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
IVF is covered through my work, but I realized their retrieval and transfer facility is out of my network so I had to pay for their facility fee which is not bad. Dr. Klatsky knows PGS/PGD testing is pricey so he works with a company that if they diagnosis you then they offer $99 PGS/PGD testing (not including shipping/storage fees). With all those fees included, the testing would cost $600 which is way better than $5k+.
Because of my age he only agrees to do single embryo transfers, but I’m sure it’s case dependent.
Success w/ Doc 22 Eggs Frozen
She [Dr. Minjarez] talked to me like an equal, took the time to listen to me about all of my concerns. She never rushed me, and answered all my questions in depth, and was nice when discussing personal matters that I was concerned may impact my egg freezing...My egg freezing ended up going significantly better than we had initially anticipated, as some of my earlier test results were not great, and I think she stated my initial results conservatively so I would be prepared if things didn't go as well as they did.
They [nurses at Spring Fertility] were all very friendly, but I did not have a constant nurse, and saw a new person most times. They were also highly responsive over email, but I would just email whoever had contacted me last...It was, like, 4500 for meds and 8500 for all procedures related to the egg retrieval. There was an additional 400 up front for fertility testing, then an extra 200 at the end because I had 2 extra eggs that got frozen (they cover up to 20)
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
For the most part, I was very happy with Debra Minjarez. She was nice, and really seemed to know what she was doing. The only downside, is I believe she errs on the side of caution. My egg freezing ended up going significantly better than we had initially anticipated, as some of my earlier test results were not great, and I think she stated my initial results conservatively so I would be prepared if things didn't go as well as they did.
Be pretty open about your concerns, even if they seem embarrassing or silly. She was very respectful about everything that I asked.
She talked to me like an equal, took the time to listen to me about all of my concerns. She never rushed me, and answered all my questions in depth, and was nice when discussing personal matters that I was concerned may impact my egg freezing.
I had a Gonal-F with Menopur protocol, starting with 225 iu of Gonal-F and 150 iu of Menopur, which were tapered down as treatment progressed/in response to my estrogen levels and ultrasounds. I think my dose was lowered towards the end, so I could take them longer while waiting for my follicles to mature. Overall, the results were very good, and I think they picked a great time to do my egg retrieval - we got a good number of eggs, but I didn't get sick afterwards (though, I didn't feel great the week after.)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
They were all very friendly, but I did not have a constant nurse, and saw a new person most times. They were also highly responsive over email, but I would just email whoever had contacted me last.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
It was a nice clinic, the equipment seemed new and up to date, and the staff was friendly. One slight downside, is they have a few locations - like one in Oakland - but some of the procedures they can only do in San Francisco. I ended up having to get up very early to go into SF for my egg retrieval despite usually seeing my doctor in Oakland.
I didn't have embryos transferred
Treated 2016 - 2017
We were so happy with Dr. Klatsky as our doctor. The whole fertility process can be unnerving and overwhelming and Dr. Klatsky eased our anxiety/concerns at every juncture. He was patient, pleasant, explained the scientific jargon in layman's terms and made sure that we understood what the process would entail....We elected to undergo a natural transfer cycle to limit the amount of injections needed. Besides that, our treatment plan was typical for the IVF process.
Strengths [Spring Valley - San Fran]: brand new, state-of-the-art facility; new equipment and technology; clean and comfortable rooms; helpful and courteous staff; best-in-class embryologists; great video tutorials and supporting resources Weaknesses: understaffed; could use technology better for treatment calendars and management of process... Helen was really supportive, responsive and showed great compassion. The only weakness we experienced was around proactive communication.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
We were so happy with Dr. Klatsky as our doctor. The whole fertility process can be unnerving and overwhelming and Dr. Klatsky eased our anxiety/concerns at every juncture. He was patient, pleasant, explained the scientific jargon in layman's terms and made sure that we understood what the process would entail. Furthermore, he empowered us to make the treatment choices we decided to pursue by presenting all the information about the alternatives and giving us space to make the right decision for us. He never pressured us to choose a course of action or even undergo subsequent fertility treatments, which he could have because it meant more revenue for him. For example, he even told us that we were likely to get pregnant on our own at some point and it was up to us whether we wanted to wait for that outcome or pursue treatments if unwilling to wait. We really appreciated that.
Make sure that you understand the treatment calendar and the various steps of the process because that aspect can be really confusing!
Dr. Klatsky took time to understand our challenges with conception and ran all the appropriate tests before diagnosing the problem. He was patient, knowledgeable and assured us that our situation was normal. He was always available to answer questions and even proactively reached out to us during the process.
Helen was really supportive, responsive and showed great compassion. The only weakness we experienced was around proactive communication. There were multiple instances in which we had to email or call her to ask questions about the timing or process of the next stage of the treatment cycle instead of her reaching out to us. Furthermore, sometimes when she told us she would contact us with some update on X date, that date would pass with no contact requiring us to follow up. I think that much of this delay was due to the clinic being unexpectedly understaffed for the number of patients it treated so I think that Helen was just trying to stay afloat.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: brand new, state-of-the-art facility; new equipment and technology; clean and comfortable rooms; helpful and courteous staff; best-in-class embryologists; great video tutorials and supporting resources Weaknesses: understaffed; could use technology better for treatment calendars and management of process
He allowed us to make this choice and informed us that PGS would improve the odds of a successful single embryo transfer by understanding the genetic conditions of our embryos before the transfer.

Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr Tran is one of the most brilliant doctors I have ever met. He is truly gifted in his area of care. I have several other friends who have seen him and none of us have had the same protocol, yet we have all been successful with him! He is up to date on all the latest advances, and truly treats every patient as an individual. He really assesses each persons situation and comes up with the best protocol to suit them. I always felt that he really cared about me.
The entire office [Spring ] treated me so well from the front office, the medical staff, the doctors, and the nurses. You never ever feel like you’re just a number. I really felt like they cared so much about me. They always did everything they could to accommodate me. I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, even when I was super early....Allie is such a wonderful and kind nurse. On top of that, she is super competent and organized. I really felt that she cared about me. She is on top of everything and is really great at communication.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
He’s super direct, and you should appreciate that about him. He always gives it to you straight. Also, be super straight with him too.
The entire office treated me so well from the front office, the medical staff, the doctors, and the nurses. You never ever feel like you’re just a number. I really felt like they cared so much about me. They always did everything they could to accommodate me. I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, even when I was super early.
We did a straight start with no priming or any kind. For a dor patient like me, he didn’t think priming was necessary, and he was right! I did a cycle at a different clinic with estrogen priming and max meds, and only got 2 embryos. With dr tran, he started me off with medium doses of follistim and menopur, and slowly reduced them as the cycle went on. I ended up with 9 eggs, but got 7 High quality blastocysts!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allie Bell )
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I echo all the other reviewers’ sentiments. This place really is like a spa. It’s beautiful, tranquil, and truly up to date on all the latest equipment. I really cannot think of anything negative to say. They’re also open 365 days a year and always available. I trust spring fertility 100%. I’ve referred other friends here as well, and they all end up loving Spring just as much as I do.
Honestly, I still haven’t received my final bill yet.
Dr Tran strongly suggested single embryo transfers, which we agreed was he best option. However, I ended up having 3 failed embryo transfers. I sought immune treatment and also requested to have 2 embryos transferred for my 4th transfer. Although Dr tran still advised us to do a single, he listened to us and went with our decision to do 2. We wanted to do 2 because of the cost and chance of higher success.

Treated 2014 - 2017
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Tran is a wonderful person. I always felt like he remembered everything about my case and was very reassuring.. Dr. Tran has tried to help me over the years with my intrauterine scarring issue (Asherman's Syndrome) and my resulting abnormally thin lining issue. He is very pro estrogen therapy...... I AGAIN went back to see Dr. Tran for yet another hysteroscopy because I love and trust him so much...He has also consulted with me over email and the phone about my thin uterine lining issues and saw me for an emergency ultrasound
the clinic [Spring Fertility] felt like a spa and everyone is really nice and respectful and I did not feel like I was in a fertility factory....Everyone at Spring Fertility...is wonderful. Seriously. It feels like a spa. Everyone is so nice and respectful.... He [Dr. Tran] is my gold standard of doctoring. His office sent our family a holiday card...Dr. Tran is a wonderful person. I always felt like he remembered everything about my case and was very reassuring...
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I first saw Dr. Tran when he was still practicing at UCSF and I was living in San Francisco. I went in to ask him if I had a fertility issue because I had had two miscarriages and was having very light periods. He assured me that I did not have recurrent pregnancy loss and that I had a lot of follicles so didn't have to worry about timing yet. I was subsequently diagnosed by another doctor in Dallas (where I moved to next) with Asherman's Syndrome (intrauterine scarring caused by a D&C after my first miscarriage). I flew back to San Francisco twice to have Dr. Tran perform hysteroscopies to remove the scarring. After I had my first child and was again diagnosed with Asherman's Syndrome (possibly recurring from a c-section or never fully resolved) and was living in DC at the time, I AGAIN went back to see Dr. Tran for yet another hysteroscopy because I love and trust him so much. I sometimes still wish I lived in San Francisco so I could go see him. He has also consulted with me over email and the phone about my thin uterine lining issues and saw me for an emergency ultrasound when I happened to be in San Francisco during my pregnancy and was having a lot of bleeding. He is my gold standard of doctoring. His office sent our family a holiday card and I put it up on my fridge because I like looking at him. He provided hope to me when a doctor in Dallas told me there was nothing he could do for me and I needed a gestational carrier (in a twist of fate, I am now pursuing the gestational carrier route for a second child!). I really cannot say enough good things about Dr. Tran.
If you don't understand what Dr. Tran is saying, ask him to repeat it or write it down. He actually made me a really cool diagram of what was going on once and I kept it for a long time. He's very patient so don't feel like you can't ask your questions.
Dr. Tran is a wonderful person. I always felt like he remembered everything about my case and was very reassuring. He wrote personal emails to me right away and also was always available to talk. He is very good at being optimistic while also discussing risks and downsides. He gives wonderful patient-initiated hugs.
I think I covered this previously. Dr. Tran has tried to help me over the years with my intrauterine scarring issues (Asherman's Syndrome) and my resulting abnormally thin lining issue. He performed three of the six total hysteroscopies that I have had to date. After the first three hysteroscopies (one from a doctor in Dallas and two from Dr. Tran), I actually conceived my first child (using a protocol set in place by another doctor). Dr. Tran was the doctor who said my lining looked good enough to try getting pregnant again and he was right because I did get pregnant on my first try using injectables and timed intercourse. For baby number two, I am pursuing a gestational carrier because after three more hysteroscopies (one of which was performed by Dr. Tran and two of which were performed by a doctor in New York) and two failed FETs, I am worn out by the whole process and my lining is both abnormally thin and fluid filled - both things that are hard to treat. Plus there are a number of other risk factors from the first pregnancy. In short, results are mixed because I had a successful pregnancy after two hysteroscopies plus estrogen therapy under Dr. Tran's care, BUT I am now pursuing a gestational carrier because I don't think anyone, including Dr. Tran, is able to fix my lining this time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
Everyone at Spring Fertility (and UCSF when Dr. Tran was there) is wonderful. Seriously. It feels like a spa. Everyone is so nice and respectful.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I was a "weird" patient who was traveling from out of state and not going in for routine things like bloodwork and ultrasounds. As I mentioned, the clinic felt like a spa and everyone is really nice and respectful. Can't think of any weaknesses.
Most of my treatments with Dr. Tran were medical treatments covered by my insurance (as opposed to fertility treatments that are often capped or excluded). So the costs were not a big deal. I think my first two hysteroscopies with Dr. Tran were totally covered. My third one was out of network and I think I paid $1,000 for it.
I didn't see Dr. Tran for this issue, but I can tell you that he is pro eSET. My successful pregnancy was a triplet pregnancy resulting from taking injectables plus doing timed intercourse. It was a dichorionic triamniotic triplet pregnancy (identical twins sharing a placenta and a singleton) and Dr. Tran very strongly counseled me to have a multi-fetal pregnancy reduction of the identical twins due to the risks of multiples and particularly multiples in this configuration. So I cannot imagine him promoting multiples! Obviously these questions depend on age and quality of the embryos, but I'm pretty sure he would encourage singletons.
Treated 2017
Success w/ Doc 7 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Klatsky is knowledgeable in his field. He has a lot of experience. He was always personable, and cared about my life beyond being a patient in the clinic undergoing a process that could make one feel.. dehumanized. He made himself available to talk more if I had questions and once I had absorbed difficult information. He made me feel valued as a patient. He was attentive to fine tuning the nuances of medication dosages so that I would have the best outcome possible, which I appreciated - his attention to detail.
[Springs Fertility's] Strengths - they are organized! They had everything prepared before my first appointment. I never felt like my treatment or information fell through the cracks - they have a lot to keep track of with a busy patient load and fast changing information, and they stay on it. Clean facilities, beautiful office. Weaknesses - little slow delay for labs to be uploaded to account online but really, those would be emailed to me within hours of my appointments.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The hard questions, like how many egg retrievals have they done and how many successful pregnancies from those retrievals.
The entire staff at the office is personable and greets you by name. While undergoing fertility treatments could make one feel dehumanized, harvesting eggs and having invasive frequent visits, Dr. Klatsky always asked about other areas of my life. He made me feel valued as a person beyond a very personal journey I was on in freezing eggs.
I was on a demi hault my second cycle - got 3 eggs at retrieval. My first cycle was with Menopur and Follistim - no Lupron as in second cycle - which got 4 eggs at retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Helen Timen)
They are great :) All super friendly, positive and upbeat, available, and quickly answer any questions via email. They really were a joy to work with and be around, and reason I had a good experience in this process.
About $10-12 k per cycle
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Just once in an email a nurse said the name of another medication I was not on, I disregarded it and she owned the error. It was not a big deal to me.
Treated 2017
Dr Tran will work with you, on your terms, in a way that makes you feel confident. He will let you trybwith your own eggs and not just push donor eggs to up his success rates. But the biggest thing- they sent flowers to me during the tww to send "good vibes during this time". Way different than my first clinic who basically told me my eggs were garbage!...I started letrozole after ovulation for 10 days and did a mini stim cycle to calm down my endometriosis. I was in way less stim meds this cycle and I think that helped my egg quality immensely. We did a fresh 3dt with 3 embryos. One stuck!
They're [Spring Fertility] a boutique clinic with only two doctors, so you really get specialized care and feel like a VIP. I saw my doctor at every appointment except for one, but they have to have days off! I really doubt he takes very many. I've been to other clinics. To me, they just seem more knowledgeable and more compassionate than the others. They don't have weaknesses. The only issue I had is that the clinic is a 3 hour drive from where I live, but absolutely worth the commute
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I was referred to him by my acupuncturists who said he deals with the "toughest cases." He is friendly, professional, patient, compassionate, and amazing at his job!!! I had two failed ivf cycles elsewhere. If I had come to him first, I would have saved a lot of time and money. My first cycle with him was a success!! I plan on going back when I'm ready for baby number 2.
They know what they're doing! They are open to your ideas if you have a certain plan in mind, but you can trust them!
Everyone in their office is so friendly and professional! The nursing staff is top notch and always positive. Their office is beautiful and comfortable. Dr Tran will work with you, on your terms, in a way that makes you feel confident. He will let you trybwith your own eggs and not just push donor eggs to up his success rates. But the biggest thing- they sent flowers to me during the tww to send "good vibes during this time". Way different than my first clinic who basically told me my eggs were garbage!
She is so nice! Compassionate! Always responded to my emails and voice messages very quickly, and if there was ever an issue- with insurance etc, she handled it quickly
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
They're a boutique clinic with only two doctors, so you really get specialized care and feel like a VIP. I saw my doctor at every appointment except for one, but they have to have days off! I really doubt he takes very many. I've been to other clinics. To me, they just seem more knowledgeable and more compassionate than the others. They don't have weaknesses. The only issue I had is that the clinic is a 3 hour drive from where I live, but absolutely worth the commute
He will do one or more depending on the patient's wishes, the quality of the embryos, and the patient's age.
Treated 2016
Success w/ Doc 8 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Klatsky] was great and a pro. Not super soft bedside manner but very smart and funny. He presented facts in a clear and accessible way and was very direct. I trusted him completely and though he could be a little flippant, I felt like he had my absolute best interests at heart... Went on birth control to regulate predict my period. Then, I started on Menopur and Follistem for about 12 days. I was going in basically every other day while Dr. K monitored with ultrasound and blood draws. He adjusted the med levels accordingly and was very in tune. He explained why he made the choices he did and I was really impressed with how he calibrated.
The nurses [at Spring Fertility] are so incredibly kind and responsive and the doctors are just sharp as tacks. I trust them to get the absolute optimal outcome and are really invested in their patients. Also, lovely touches - no hospital atmosphere, nice little gifts (chocolates after my egg retrieval!) and amazing snacks in the waiting room. I also love that I had one doc and one nurse for the entire process so they KNEW me and my case.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility?
He was great and a pro. Not super soft bedside manner but very smart and funny. He presented facts in a clear and accessible way and was very direct. I trusted him completely and though he could be a little flippant, I felt like he had my absolute best interests at heart.
Don’t expect kid gloves but he is a really kind and expert doctor.
Dr. Klatsky was great. He’s incredibly funny - it took a little getting used to especially at the beginning (his partner Dr. Tran has a much more mellow bedside manner), but I trusted Dr. K’s expertise thoroughly and he monitored my egg retrieval and freezing like an absolute pro.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
Fantastic team. So friendly and REAL. Ihad 1:1 instruction for how to give myself injections which was so helpful. Plus great email responsiveness and video tutorials
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
They were just getting started at the time so a tiny bit disorganized. However I have had friends use them since and think things have improved tremendously. The nurses are so incredibly kind and responsive and the doctors are just sharp as tacks. I trust them to get the absolute optimal outcome and are really invested in their patients. Also, lovely touches - no hospital atmosphere, nice little gifts (chocolates after my egg retrieval!) and amazing snacks in the waiting room. I also love that I had one doc and one nurse for the entire process so they KNEW me and my case.
8k for one round of egg freezing; 4K for associated meds. Annual $600 for storage of frozen eggs.
None

Treated 2015 - 2016
I worked with Dr. Tran at UCSF and it was a modern, friendly place...[Nurse] Olga was very responsive. She answers lots of my questions about the protocol along the way and assured me I was doing things right...Egg retrieval ~$13,000 Each frozen embryo transfer $3,000-4,000...I felt like I was in great hands....Egg retrieval (birth control, Follistim + Menopur, Ganirelix) - 19 eggs --&gt; 6 5-day embryos Frozen egg transfer (birth control, Lupron shots, Vivelle patch, progesterone shots)
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I felt like I was in great hands. I knew he lectured around the world on fertility treatment, so it was clear he understood the science but also genuinely wanted to apply the science and help each patient. He never rushed us during visits and had a good sense of humor, which my husband really appreciated :) He was responsive to my needs, e.g., allowed me to talk to an IVF therapist free of charge after my second failed transfer. I can't recommend him highly enough -- it's hard to be an IVF patient because you're always wondering "will it work?!" but I had a great experience with him and never questioned his care.
Don't hesitate to ask questions; his answers are spot on!
Dr. Tran explained our situation with clarity and compassion during the entire process (retrieval through first trimester, after which I was transferred to OBGYN). My hormone treatment felt very customized and I felt like he was invested in our success, e.g., didn't do a fresh transfer because my hormone levels weren't optimum; waiting was hard, but I trusted his judgement. After two failed transfers, he suggested a uterine scratch because it was worth a shot and wanted me to feel like we were "doing everything we could." When I felt like a failure, he reminded me of the probabilities and the role of genetics (versus what I did or didn't do during the cycle). He was always willing to work with us and we'll be using him again for sure!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Olga Salamanca)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I worked with Dr. Tran at UCSF and it was a modern, friendly place; I know he's started his own clinic (Spring) and I imagine it's equally nice.
Egg retrieval ~$13,000 Each frozen embryo transfer $3,000-4,000
We loved his approach - patience is a virtue! We really only wanted a singleton (otherwise we could have done hormones + IUIs), and it was tempting to want to transfer two embryos to have success more quickly, but because our embryos were of good enough quality, we stuck with one embryo per transfer and were glad we did -- one baby is plenty of work :)