6.5

6.6

1195 W. Fremont Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94087

2015 - 2021, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Nakajima] kept forgetting details about my case. I had to remind him multiple times that I was going for embryo freezing and not immediate pregnancy. He kept mis-communicating with his team, he would always run late for his appointments and kept forgetting to update notes. I had to chase him and his team of nurses to keep track of what next to do....
The nursing staff [at Stanford University] kept rotating and every time I had to re-explain! There is simply no co-ordination. During my egg retrieval surgery, the nurses did not know of my pre-existing condition of endometriosis. The nurses inserted the IV incorrectly which led to anesthesia pooling in my arm, instead of my vein...Lack of compassion...Dismissive nurse who seemed to be unaware of my endometriosis history...
How was your experience with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
Dr Steven Nakajima, needs to remember that his patients undergo hormonal fluctuations, expenses and trust in him. During an IVF cycle, many critical decisions need to be taken - including when to trigger - which make the trip worth it or not. He needs to be more responsive and treat the patients paying his bills as humans, not just numbers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
Avoid him. He kept forgetting details about my case. I had to remind him multiple times that I was going for embryo freezing and not immediate pregnancy. He kept mis-communicating with his team, he would always run late for his appointments and kept forgetting to update notes. I had to chase him and his team of nurses to keep track of what next to do.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
During my 1st cycle, just 1 day before my treatment were to start, his team sent an e-message to inform me that he's going on a sabbatical. After being his patient for about 5+ years before this due to endometriosis, he did not bother to call to inform me. This was simply callousness on his part During my 2nd cycle, when I repeatedly re-arranged my schedule to fit his office schedule, making sure he would be the one reviewing and taking crucial decisions like when to trigger, he simply chose to ignore my case - relying on someone else at Stanford. 11 eggs were extracted, out of which only 2 fertilized. When asked later what was the issue, he simply blamed "oh, the trigger was too early!" After 120+ injections, 2 months of endometriosis flare ups during IVF, his callousness in treating me just as a number or a case was infuriating
Describe the protocols Steven Nakajima used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
E2 priming flare protocol Follistim 300 Menopur 150 Microdose Lupron 20 x 2 I was told, being < 35, my chances of getting good number of embryos were very high. While they extracted 22 mature follicles, I ended up getting only 3 genetically OK embryos. And the only explanation I was given was "it's a head scratcher".
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
The nursing staff kept rotating and every time I had to re-explain! There is simply no co-ordination. During my egg retrieval surgery, the nurses did not know of my pre-existing condition of endometriosis. The nurses inserted the IV incorrectly which led to anesthesia pooling in my arm, instead of my vein! During recovery, I fainted and gashed my eyebrow in the restroom. When a nurse came to help, she scolded me saying "What am I doing?! Keep your legs straight! etc". If I could, I wouldn't be fainting! Lack of compassion and incompetencies in the training!
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
REI Stanford needs to improve it's processes. They seem to have gotten complacent with the Stanford brand name driving patients to them. During my latest egg retrieval a bunch of things went wrong, leading to a 3 hrs procedure taking 11+ hrs! 1. The nursing team incorrectly hooked up the IV. The IV was first attached to my left hand. When the anesthesiologist tried giving my anesthesia, it went into my arm, instead of vein. Fortunately, a nurse noticed it soon. However by then the anesthesia accumulated and caused my arm to swell, without the anesthesia working. Then they tried my left wrist, but it hit my bone. So finally, they switched to my right arm, where it worked right away. This caused prolonged discomfort in my left arm post surgery as well as explained why it took me 3+ hours to wake up. Suggestion: They need to train the team better for IV and anesthesia administration. 2. Leaving a patient unattended and/or without a wheelchair during recovery. After waking up, I wanted to use the restroom. Nurse assigned to me left me unattended inside the restroom and without a wheelchair. If I had at least the wheelchair, then I would not have hit my head over the sink, while losing consciousness. The other nurse who came in to help, scolded me, while I was fainting in / out asking things like “What are you doing? Why are you bending your knees? Why can’t you keep your eyes open?” Surely, if I could, I would have done all these - to avoid hitting my face on the sink, which could have had much worse outcomes than a laceration. Not to mention, this turned a 3 hr procedure into a 12 hr procedure end-to-end, while still in pain and anesthesia. Suggestion: The nurses need to be trained to have better judgement and empathy. 3. Dismissive nurse who seemed to be unaware of my endometriosis history. Context: My history of stage 3 endometriosis and treatment with Dr Nakajima is a long standing one. The Dr knew about it and acknowledged the extra cramping and pain that goes with it. But the nurse was very dismissive of my pain. She kept saying it is “normal and will go away”. Since last time, I was also prescribed antibiotics, I asked if this time I needed the same. She dismissed right away, saying “We give during surgery, not needed later on”. After multiple attempts, she finally went and asked Dr Murphy (?) who confirmed that the endometriomas were not aspirated, so it doesn’t need follow up antibiotics. Suggestion: Train nurses to do their due diligence in internalizing the patient history while delivering care. 4. Oncall Dr ignored my doctor's recommendation on when to give the trigger shot and incomplete information given to the patient. They ignored Dr Nakajima’s notes on when to trigger - a very crucial decision since it determines the maturity of eggs retrieved and makes taking 60+ injections worth it. My trust relation is with Dr Nakajima, not any other Dr. So, despite Dr Nakajima mentioning in the internal notes that “trigger when most are 20 mm”, I was asked to trigger when USG showed only 2 out of 14 had reached 20 mm. Moreover, I, the patient, was not even informed of this contradiction. Had I known this, I would have requested them to get it reviewed with Dr Nakajima and come to a consensus. Suggestion: Give patients complete information and context, especially when deviating from their Dr’s treatment suggestions. 5. Inaccurate updates to family waiting outside. When you met my husband and my brother waiting outside, they were told that I was taking more time to wake up because different bodies metabolize anesthesia differently. They were not told about the IV mismanagements and extra anesthesia administration. Suggestion : Please deliver accurate updates to the caregiver.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Nakajima at Stanford University.
Approx $15,000 per cycle.
Describe Steven Nakajima's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.

2020, Unknown Success
We went to Dr Alvero after having had 2 failed egg stimulations with [another doctor]. We really felt something was “wrong “ and “ “missing”. Dr Alvero found that my thyroid levels were really poor and did my first ever saline infused sonogram- and found an endometrial polyp- which could have caused my infertility or miscarriages. The polyp was removed and then he proceed with a much more aggressive stimulation protocol then the other doctor, which led to 28 eggs retrieved.
All of the nursing staff there [at Stanford Fertility] are very compassionate, professional and well versed in infertility treatments...The strengths are organization, well spaced appointments, cleanliness , state of the art equipment and protocols that process patients quickly. The only weakness is that they are very busy and because of this maybe there is less privacy in the waiting room.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
As stated earlier my husband and I were both very happy with his care. We also live 3 hours away from the clinic and he kept that in mind when making our appointments and also to accommodate us with some tele conference calls. This was super beneficial.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Just know your medical history well and be prepared to make copies of all of your infertility documents if you started with another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Dr Alvero has a fantastic bedside demeanor, kind, patient, and never seems like he is in a rush. I also felt that he always knew US and our medical history. I’m addition, he never pressures you to make a decision or makes you feel like there is only his opinion. He’s great!
Describe the protocols Ruben Alvero used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
We went to Dr Alvero after having had 2 failed egg stimulations with Dr Alex Steinleitner. We really felt something was “wrong “ and “ “missing”. Dr Alvero found that my thyroid levels were really poor and did my first ever saline infused sonogram- and found an endometrial polyp- which could have caused my infertility or miscarriages. The polyp was removed and then he proceed with a much more aggressive stimulation protocol then the other doctor, which led to 28 eggs retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Erica )
All of the nursing staff there are very compassionate, professional and well versed in infertility treatments.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruben Alvero at Stanford University.
I really can’t remember off the top of my head. I do remember about $5,000 for egg stimulation medications, $1200 for endometrial polyp removal, all with insurance.
Describe Ruben Alvero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
Due to my age, we were advised to do genetic testing ( something Dr Steinleitner did not recommend), and if we had had a genetically viable embryo, he would have transferred only that one. That made sense to us, after having had 2,2,2,3 embryos transferred with Dr Steinleitner with no genetic testing, that led to no pregnancies or miscarriages. We felt it was a ton of money wasted and extra emotional pain .
Sunnyvale

For my case, Dr. Alvero believed in multiple embryo transfer. He was going to transfer as many embryos as possible...The conversations felt rushed, brief, and not open ended. I felt like I had to come ready with many questions, otherwise no extra information was going to be given to me. I never had any contact with [him] outside of the clinic, meaning the only way for me to have any follow up was to send the clinic an email and a nurse will get back to me...
The [Stanford University] clinic was clean, organized, and updated on technology. The receptionists were professional and nice, but just average. The financial counselor was the worst at managing my case. I had to reach out many times to get my questions answered because the follow up was poor. The only way to communicate with anyone with questions was to email my nurse and I will get directed from there
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
I was assigned to Dr. Alvero. He is the Medical Director of the Stanford Fertility and Reproductive Health clinic. Upon meeting Dr. Alvero, he met my stereotype of a doctor, very professional yet not "warm". The vibe I got was his time was limited. His communication was average. He only communicated the minimum necessary. He didn't elaborate unless I asked questions. I felt like I was constantly pulling for more information, but I always left the clinic with more questions. I felt like I was constantly looking for more answers. I never got a clear picture of what was the next stage. I would like to believe that Dr. Alvero made the medical decisions he did for me because it was right and in my best interest, but in retrospect, I was just a number.
Go with all the questions you can think of, and ask why a lot.
The conversations felt rushed, brief, and not open ended. I felt like I had to come ready with many questions, otherwise no extra information was going to be given to me. I never had any contact with my doctor outside of the clinic, meaning the only way for me to have any follow up was to send the clinic an email and a nurse will get back to me. When the nurse responds to me, it was also very short responses.
I was given the antagonist protocol. I was never given the rationale for using this kind of protocol, and I never had the chance to ask because I never saw Dr. Alvero after the beginning of my treatment. I was put on Follistim & Menopur. I had a 3 day fresh cycle transfer. Dr. Alvero did not recommend genetic testing because he felt like I was not going to produce many eggs anyway so he didn't want me to spend money on genetics testing. He felt like a fresh cycle was more beneficial in my case because I did not yield many eggs. It just seemed to me that everything came down to having diminished ovarian reserve. I was presented with many odds up against me from the very beginning.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University.
I have never met my primary nurse. She was assigned to Dr. Alvero so she answered any questions I had over the patient portal. Her responses were timely which I appreciate. The only nurse I met in person was on the day of my egg retrieval. She helped me prepare for the transfer. That nurse seemed nice, warm, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The clinic was clean, organized, and updated on technology. The receptionists were professional and nice, but just average. The financial counselor was the worst at managing my case. I had to reach out many times to get my questions answered because the follow up was poor. The only way to communicate with anyone with questions was to email my nurse and I will get directed from there. When you truly want to feel like just a number, then this clinic will make you feel like one.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
A medication I needed for the egg retrieval was not called in even though I was told it was and I had to make many phone calls between my pharmacy and the nurse to prove that in fact it was not called in. Meeting with the financial counselor was a joke. He just came out of training, and clearly was very green. He didn't know answers to many questions. It was like pulling teeth to try to get to the bottom of things. We were charged for things that we didn't get on the protocol.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Milki is fantastic and extremely knowledgeable, use your valuable time with him well and be prepared with what-ever testing you can ahead of time to get the most out of your appointment...We are trying for a natural IUI, possibly followed by using Clomid if a subsequent IUI(s) are needed. We had an initial ultrasound to check for eggs, and continued to track ovulation and periods until we can have the IUI performed...was extremely professional, knowledgable, presented a lot of information in a short amount of time, while readily answering all of our questions. We left feeling prepared and excited to move forward with him and the Stanford team.
The nursing staff [at Stanford University] are great and really care about their patients...While the requiered online training were great and informative the mandatory in person training had almost nothing to do with my situation and felt like a waste of half a day since it takes approximately 1.5 hours to drive each way to the clinic. Lastly the clinic sent my pre-approval information to the wrong medical plan and thus relayed to us that we had no insurance coverage for the treatments. I proved that I do have insurance coverage and was then told the procedures were denied and only my consultation visit with Dr. Milki was being covered. Ultimately my insurance stepped in and sorted it out, in
How was your experience with Amin Milki at Stanford University?
Strengths: Extremely knowledgable, caring, informative, willing to jump right in. Weaknesses (not specific to Dr. Milki but the Stanford Fertility Clinic): a lot of testing and pre-requirements-more so than any other fertility doctor's office, it started to feel like Stanford was making sure all of their bases were covered not just things related to my health. My husband and I are seeking treatment due to male -factor infertility and already had a donor selected to provide donor sperm-what should be the simplest of procedures, yet we kept being presented with numerous set-backs during the testing and pre-required consultations/trainings some of which had to due the the results of bloodwork and others from the clinic not handling the insurance and pre-approval properly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amin Milki at Stanford University?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amin Milki at Stanford University?
Dr. Milki was extremely professional, knowledgable, presented a lot of information in a short amount of time, while readily answering all of our questions. We left feeling prepared and excited to move forward with him and the Stanford team.
Describe the protocols Amin Milki used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
We are trying for a natural IUI, possibly followed by using Clomid if a subsequent IUI(s) are needed. We had an initial ultrasound to check for eggs, and continued to track ovulation and periods until we can have the IUI performed. Due to COVID Coronavirus all IUIs have been put on hold for an unspecified amount of time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
The nursing staff are great and really care about their patients.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The clinic is at the forefront of fertility research and treatment. My situation is somewhat straightforward (Natural IUI) it is nice knowing that I asm being treated at one of the best facilities. The clinic however mis-handled some of my pre-approval and insurance information which caused an immense amount of stress, confusion, and wasted time. Thankfully my insurance company stepped in to help clear up the confusion that had arisen with Stanford, my medical plan and my insurance. Also the clinic did not send back the tank used to ship the donor sperm back to the sperm bank, possibly die to COVID (Coronavirus) shortened hours and staff, and I have had to field questions from the sperm bank.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amin Milki at Stanford University.
Our out of pocket expenses for a natural (no-medication) Intra Uterine Insemination IUI, will cost close to $6,300 including the cost of donor sperm.
Describe Amin Milki's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
I was not informed that due to one of my required blood test result for Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) coming back showing I did not have Measles immunity I would have to get a measles vaccine and miss 2 cycles since Stanford would not inseminate me if any part of my 28 day cycle overlapped with 30 days from the date of my measles immunization, which it did by 2 days. I was also informed I would have to select a new donor because of incompatible CMV results, as opposed to informing us about the very low potential risk and asking if we would like to proceed with a new donor–we ultimately pushed back and are using our donor. While the requiered online training were great and informative the mandatory in person training had almost nothing to do with my situation and felt like a waste of half a day since it takes approximately 1.5 hours to drive each way to the clinic. Lastly the clinic sent my pre-approval information to the wrong medical plan and thus relayed to us that we had no insurance coverage for the treatments. I proved that I do have insurance coverage and was then told the procedures were denied and only my consultation visit with Dr. Milki was being covered. Ultimately my insurance stepped in and sorted it out, in the process discovering Stanford's mistake and also forcing my medical plan to accept the coverage. This was very stressful since it took 8 months (hundreds of hours phone calls and emails) to get the approval for fertility treatment "anywhere" since it is not offered in my area.
Sunnyvale

He [Dr. Nakajima] is very factual and objective but provides much needed reassurance as well, and as a physician, I greatly appreciated those things...He always has the next step planned...each fertility patient has specific needs that vary in the details, which is something I didn’t realize before starting. He learned those needs and wants (both medical needs and family planning wants) and tailored and adjusted the plan around that.
when COVID caused cancellation of all elective future procedures, she [nurse at Stanford University] talked me down, calmed me, and made me immediately feel like it would be ok. I can’t thank her enough for that...20,000+per entire cycle ivf with retrieval, with meds...Busy organized clinic, lots of staff so sometimes they don’t know many of the patients but I never felt lost. Because it is a large clinic sometimes you see other providers and my actual retrieval was done by another physician, but he was great and I was fine with that as they are all highly regarded. I preferred flexibilityIn scheduling and planning as compared to the clinics where you have to see your specific provider and nurse for each visit, therefore it’s harder to get in.
How was your experience with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
Included in detail in my previous answer, please see that. He is incredibly compassionate and thoughtful. He is direct and honest but in a kind way. He prepares you each step of the way with as much or as little detail as you need.
He is blunt with his assessment, but ends with compassion and a plan. If you want someone who makes you feel like everything is possible and only gives you the good, he is not your man. But if you want honesty, the facts, and a solid care plan, Dr. Nakajima is the best.
He quickly learned in the first sit down how I like to process information and met us there. He is very factual and objective but provides much needed reassurance as well, and as a physician, I greatly appreciated those things. I felt at was almost immediately with him, as did my non-medical husband. He always has the next step planned. The reality of it is that each fertility patient has specific needs that vary in the details, which is something I didn’t realize before starting. He learned those needs and wants (both medical needs and family planning wants) and tailored and adjusted the plan around that. We wanted to save embryos for future children as well as a pregnancy now, and many clinics will require or encourage you to implant once you have one or two good embryos in order to improve their outcomes measured by the national database. We did not get as many embryos as we wanted to be able to be more certain we’d have a second child, and knowing this he came up with a thoughtful altered retrieval cycle instead of pushing us to go ahead and implant. If you look at the data for each clinic out there, you will see it’s measured by pregnancy per cycle, not number of embryos or number of high quality eggs or embryos. Implanting might have helped the clinic in their numbers but in our case that would not have aligned with our family planning. I only learned of this when researching other clinics, and never felt like he had an agenda with us. And now that things have been pushed off with COVID19, he and his team with nurse Dorothy have been kind, communicative, and so encouraging. I’m grateful to have a team I trust during this difficult time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Dorothy )
There have been times I have called Dorothy for what are likely minor things and she has always remarried or called me or both quickly and never made me feel like I was asking too much. Most importantly, when COVID caused cancellation of all elective future procedures, she talked me down, calmed me, and made me immediately feel like it would be ok. I can’t thank her enough for that.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
20,000+per entire cycle ivf with retrieval, with meds.
I am a petite woman and Dr. nakajima told me it would be difficult for me to carry multiples to term. He did inform me that it would be higher risks of premature delivery, diabetes, and preeclampsia, all risks I am not willing to take. He advised no multiple transfers and I agreed.
Sunnyvale

I lost a year of time after going to a different doctor and getting scared off by fertility treatments. Dr. Vaughn is a great doctor and I wish I had started seeing her sooner...If something was too hard (shots, lots of appointments can be hard on top of the stress or work), we talked about how to adjust the plan to work for me and my needs. The appointments never felt rushed. I feel like I got to know her as a person and not just my doctor and that she was genuinely really happy for us when we got pregnant.
[Nurses at Stanford University were] Overall, friendly, compassionate and helpful. Possibly slightly overworked which would explain the lack of organization at times. When asked questions, they responded in a timely manner and clearly. I had to take a lot of the initiative such as making sure my prescriptions were correctly filled and that appointments were correctly made. As long as I was on top of it, it was fine, but it did take some time on my part.
How was your experience with Sara Vaughn at Stanford University?
We came to Dr. Vaughn after a discouraging attempt with a different doctor another practice a year earlier. Immediately, the difference in her approach was clear. Our first appointment revolved around setting up a plan for treatment. She came in with an immense knowledge of my entire health history, better than even I knew it. A clear plan of action was developed, taking our input as needed. We left the initial appointment feeling confident, with the right level of cautious optimism and understanding of the chances and risks. It was relieving to know that we were (finally) in good hands. One thing I really think sets Dr. Vaughn apart is her ability to clearly convey medical information. Throughout my treatment, I had lots of questions, and she would always answer every one with the perfect level of detail. It never felt condescending or rushed, and I would joke with my friends that I was getting a mini-fertility lesson each time I saw her. My treatment involved lots of monitoring through ultrasounds, which when I've had them at other locations were incredibly awkward/uncomfortable. While still not a 'fun' experience, Dr. Vaughn recognized I was nervous and would talk throughout the procedure with me and calm me down by explaining what we were looking at and what we were looking for. As an engineer and scientist, the learning and conversation was something that helped me persevere on and reach the goal of having a baby. Dr. Vaughn always had excellent bed side manner. She would always smile when she came into the room and take the time to ask how I was doing. Struggling with infertility can be emotionally hard sometimes, but whenever I had an appointment with her I felt strengthened and encouraged, not by false promises but by a confidence that there was a plan and she would be there with me to go through it. I really wish all my doctors could be as good as Dr. Vaughn. My husband and I agree that she is by far the best doctor either of us have ever had and that she was so much more than we could have asked for. Our baby boy is due in 5 more weeks, and I really do believe we owe it all to Dr. Vaughn.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Vaughn at Stanford University?
Don't wait. I lost a year of time after going to a different doctor and getting scared off by fertility treatments. Dr. Vaughn is a great doctor and I wish I had started seeing her sooner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Vaughn at Stanford University?
From the first diagnosis appointment where we came up with a plan of action to the final appointment where we saw the baby's heart beat, Dr. Vaughn consistently treated me as a whole person. She consistently listened to our concerns and took the time to address all our questions. If something was too hard (shots, lots of appointments can be hard on top of the stress or work), we talked about how to adjust the plan to work for me and my needs. The appointments never felt rushed. I feel like I got to know her as a person and not just my doctor and that she was genuinely really happy for us when we got pregnant.
Describe the protocols Sara Vaughn used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
*Understanding of source of infertility (anovultion due to PCOS) through blood test, MRI, ultrasounds, saline sonogram, analysis of husband's sperm *5 rounds of letrozole to induce ovulation. She got the right dose on the first time - Two IUIs - Three natural approaches (the shots/number of appointments stressed me out due to a busy time at my work, so she explained the risks and modified my plan for a few cycles.) Result: baby boy.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
I saw this doctor when she was part of a different clinic. I offered to write her a review because she was such a good doctor and I felt to grateful to her. I can't speak to the clinic besides that it has a good website, Dr. Vaughn speaks well of it, and if she's there, I know it is automatically a better place.
Sara Vaughn
Sunnyvale

I felt like I had to call in [to Stanford University] all the time. I was always unsure of what I was doing. Nothing was explained well. One nurse was very kind and helped me set my appointment at another facility for my scan. This clinic has little room to actually preform exams the day they are needed...I was never informed my scan results had arrived. I called in the day of my appointment to make sure they had. I was told they arrived but they could not be found. The nurse had to call the clinic where I got my test completed to obtain another result. I called a second time to ensure the doctor received the results. I was told they were unsure. I arrived and asked in person and was told the doctor had just received my results when I arrived. I was given erroneous information regarding my coverage. I had to request the financial advisor call my insurance once again to confirm her version. She was incorrect.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Initially I thought he was very informative and easy to talk to. However; upon explaining my test results he was very cold and matter of fact. I didn’t feel that he saw me as a person just another patient. I was given a very low percentage in regards to getting pregnant and I asked for an explanation especially since my test results had been received by the doctor minutes before my appointment. I was essentially told not to have high hopes in getting pregnant with very little explanation.
Go in informed. Be prepared to potentially be treated as a number and not a person. That’s terrible to say but true.
I went in on my own and I explained I wished to conceive but have never tried to do so. I was given somewhat high hopes in my first visit. I was sent for some tests. After completing said test I had to call back and schedule another appointment. During that appointment Dr. Alvero and Teo unknown doctors who were never introduced to me and I was never asked if I was okay with being present followed him into my room. I again was all alone. All three were straight-faced when Dr.. Alvero told me I could not conceive due to various reasons. I’m addition he said I shouldn’t waste my money in attempting an IUI and I should forget about using my own eggs and use donor eggs and even then with IVF my percentage to conceive is very low. I sat there in shock not wanting to cry as all three doctors stared at me coldly. It was as if they were saying “ok, now you know you can’t conceive on your own. Chose a method and get back to us.”
I went in having already had a few test completed by my obgyn. The results were not great. I was asked to complete them again. The tests included hormone levels, thyroid test etc. I was asked to conduct a scan as well during my first cycle due to symptoms I had exhibited. My tests results showed I had poor egg quality, a diminished ovarian reserve and Salpingitis isthmica nodosa.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
I felt like I had to call in all the time. I was always unsure of what I was doing. Nothing was explained well. One nurse was very kind and helped me set my appointment at another facility for my scan. This clinic has little room to actually preform exams the day they are needed.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strengths are the phlebotomist was very kind. One nurse was also kind and listened to me when I became emotional. Weaknesses, the financial coordinator was terrible. She misinformed me about my insurance coverage; she told me I had 100% coverage when I only have partial coverage. Good thing I called before hand. I was also given a treatment plan without having completed my exams and scan. The doctor I saw was not the most kind or informative. The front desk was also kind and cordial. The building was clean and there was plenty of parking.
I had to pay $500+ for a scan. Overall I believe I paid $500 for visits. There were few because I went to another doctor.
Sunnyvale

Dr. Lathi has been reliable and has given us the facts. ... I do think the minimized our issues and did not adjust treatment to fit our unique issues. I like that she is down to earth, pragmatic and logical. I do think she was unprepared on several occasions not remembering our particular situation, not adjusting protocol. ... Unfortunately, she also led us to believe we did not have any major issues nor was there urgency for us to proceed with aggressive treatment.
I've left the clinic [Stanford U.] in tears several times because I was so unprepared for the results of my appointment and procedures. ... Most of the nurses are very competent and compassionate, especially those in procedure room. ... I was also not informed they required me to do a hysteroscopy ... No one reached out to explain what went wrong during retrieval. I had to ask repeatedly to speak with the doctor to get some answers.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi has been reliable and has given us the facts. Unfortunately, she also led us to believe we did not have any major issues nor was there urgency for us to proceed with aggressive treatment. Ultimately she left it up to us. I do think the minimized our issues and did not adjust treatment to fit our unique issues. I like that she is down to earth, pragmatic and logical. I do think she was unprepared on several occasions not remembering our particular situation, not adjusting protocol. I think she let things slip and now we are paying for it. She also did not show concern or empathy. I do think she is experienced and knowledgeable, but perhaps a bit jaded.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Ask questions and insist on answers, don't leave until you get them. Get your doctor to do all major procedures. If you suspect something is going wrong, point it out and insist. Be your own vocal advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
We only had consultations twice: initial and second time upon our request as we were trying to make a decision to move onto IVF. Dr. Lathi walked into that meeting without much prep, even had to look up our diagnosis. We didn't get many answers to our question either. Over the course of my treatment I have seen 5-6 doctors and over dozen nurses. No one seems to know us, we have to keep repeating the same things, which should be in our chart or passed along somehow. I am never given any details about results or updates on my progress. I had to beg to get a printout with my ultrasound follicle numbers during stims. I ovulate early which had been obvious from out IUIs but no one did any post-cycle analysis and so during our IVF cycle the same thing happened and we had a poor retrieval result. No one reached out to explain what went wrong during retrieval. I had to ask repeatedly to speak with the doctor to get some answers. I do have to say most of the nurses are wonderful and very caring and attentive. The doctors - not so much.
Describe the protocols Ruth Lathi used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
IUI: 5mg Letrozole, estrace and endometrial in luteal phase due to poor lining - both cycles negative IVF: Antagonist protocols (Using Ganirelix and GnRH antagonist drugs: 300 IU Follistim, 150 IU Menopur), dual trigger (Lupron + HCG). We retrieved half as many eggs as we had follicles on the ultrasound (the rest of follicles were empty), we achieved 50% fertilization with ICSI, no other results yet
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Most of the nurses are very competent and compassionate, especially those in procedure room. They did a great job explaining things, providing printout, scheduling, managing next steps.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Very experienced, lots of cycles (both good and bad), but lack attention to detail and individualized approach. The only opportunity you get to speak to a doctor is during a procedure or specially arranged consultation. They pass you back and forth to whoever is available in the practice. Also, this is not the practice if you want to combine your treatment with any integrative medicine, such as acupuncture or supplements - they don't believe in that here (also good and bad thing). This is a teaching hospital so you will get residents and medical students at your appointments and procedures unless you refuse that (we didn't mind).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruth Lathi at Stanford University.
We are completely out of pockets so IUIs were between $1000-$2500 and our IVF so far (up to retrieval only) has been about $25,000
Describe Ruth Lathi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
Dr. Lathi recommends single embryo FET after PDG/PGD. We like that approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
We had some paperwork (consent forms) go missing a couple of time so my husband and I could not share medical information about each other. I was also not informed they required me to do a hysteroscopy, this came as a surprise and I was concerned at first because this was not in the treatment plan. Also during a monitoring appointment I was never told how many follicles or anything about my lining. I was given medication and instructions without the explanation why that was needed. I've left the clinic in tears several times because I was so unprepared for the results of my appointment and procedures.

2016 - 2019, Successful
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Aghajanova] treated like one. She was very kind and compassionate ... We literally laughed, prayed and cried together. I think I have an amazing relationship with her. She is very compassionate and I can’t imagine to get through this difficult journey without her. ... They [Sanford] believe in single embryo transfer to avoid risk of multiples and further complications ...
How was your experience with Lusine Aghajanova at Stanford University?
My experience was great. We literally laughed, prayed and cried together. I think I have an amazing relationship with her. She is very compassionate and I can’t imagine to get through this difficult journey without her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lusine Aghajanova at Stanford University?
Have lots of patience. Infertility treatments does require lots of patience
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lusine Aghajanova at Stanford University?
I felt like a human because she treated like one. She was very kind and compassionate
Describe the protocols Lusine Aghajanova used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
Start clomid from cycle day 3 for 5 days. This was followed my Follistim injection of 75 IU for 5 or sometimes 4 days. Around 13 or 14th day I got my bhcg injection and thn IUI 36 hours later. I also took progesterone intra vaginally two days after iui and I would continue that until my blood test. They asked my to stop of bhcg comes out negative
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
All of them were great. I literally have no complains. Sometimes there was a lot of waiting but that was completely bearable. This did not annoy me at all.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strength : Staff and qualified doctors Very organized team Nice and clean office Very adjusting Results are available on the portal ASAP Nurses are very prompt Very reachable through patient portal and phone Weakness There is waiting sometime but I guess that’s fine atleast for me Sometimes they mess up the bills and it’s very frustrating. I did notice twice that no approval was sent at the insurance and they billed me the whole amount which is very sad because infertility treatments are very stressful and to deal with insurance adds up to the stress.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lusine Aghajanova at Stanford University.
It’s very expensive :( This is the worst part of infertility treatment. They rip off our pocket. Finances and bills is a very big reason that I felt literally helpless at times.
Describe Lusine Aghajanova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
They believe in single embryo transfer to avoid risk of multiples and further complications
Lusine Aghajanova
Sunnyvale

She [Dr. Aghajanova] did not seem to know information from my chart each time I went in for an appointment. ... She told me she would have preferred to see me when I was 35 or so. Which made me cry, because what am I supposed to do, turn back time? She did not seem empathetic at all that we were acknowledging my advanced maternal age, and were asking for her support. ... Although you are assigned a primary attending physician, you will be seen by anyone.
Scheduling appointments was around their [Standford University] schedule, and they often did not have times that worked well for me. Although you are assigned a primary attending physician, you will be seen by anyone. ... My communications with the care team were mainly via the online messaging system, and I found it extremely frustrating to actually get answers to my questions on scheduling cycles, what my protocol would be, getting my prescriptions called in, and when I needed to start medications.
How was your experience with Lusine Aghajanova at Stanford University?
I went in for a consultation regarding fertility treatment because we wanted to try to freeze embryos, before I got too much older (I'm early 40s). She told me she would have preferred to see me when I was 35 or so. Which made me cry, because what am I supposed to do, turn back time? She did not seem empathetic at all that we were acknowledging my advanced maternal age, and were asking for her support. What made it worse is that I had tried to schedule a consultation with the clinic years earlier, and they did not return my calls. We did conventional IVF for our first cycle, since there was no male factor. For our second cycle, we signed consents to do the same, since we were not given any information about why some of our eggs did not fertilize normally. However, part way through the cycle, we were told our treatment plan was supposed to be ICSI because some eggs fertilized with multiple sperm last time. We had to resign consents because we were not given information at the beginning of the cycle.
Ask for the results of your treatment, and what they mean. Ask what your treatment plan is, and why. Do not expect her to provide this information without direct questioning.
She did not seem to know information from my chart each time I went in for an appointment.
Cycle 1 Priming + Antagonist protocol: Estradiol priming (9 days), Gonal F 300 + Menopur 150 stimulation (12 days) and Ganirelix (last 5 days), HCG + Gonal F 400 trigger. Presumably chosen to be gentler, and due to advanced maternal age. Baseline follicle count was supposedly 14, but did not all develop at the same rate. 5 eggs retrieved, conventional IVF, 3 fertilized normally + 2 fertilized with multiple sperm, 3 blastocysts at day 7 with grades 4AA 6BB 6CB. Cycle 2 Priming + Flare Protocol: Estradiol priming (10 days), Microdose Lupron 10 (16 days) and Gonal F 300 + Menopur 150 (13.5 days), HCG + Gonal F 400 trigger. Presumably chosen for above, and to try to get more eggs mature. 7 eggs retrieved, ICSI all 7 mature, 6 fertilized, 3 blastocysts at day 6 with grades 4BC 4CC 6CC. Cycle 3 Antagonist Protocol: not yet started, but presumably birth control pills, Gonal F 225 + Menopur 150 + Ganirelix, HCG + Lupron trigger. Presumably chosen to get follicles to develop at the same time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University.
Although the doctor has a specific nurse and care coordinator as part of my care team, I did not actually find I interacted with those people primarily. And didn't even interact with my doctor primarily. My communications with the care team were mainly via the online messaging system, and I found it extremely frustrating to actually get answers to my questions on scheduling cycles, what my protocol would be, getting my prescriptions called in, and when I needed to start medications. And the questions I had regarding my treatment that were meant for the doctor apparently did not get conveyed, or at least didn't get answered.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Scheduling appointments was around their schedule, and they often did not have times that worked well for me. Although you are assigned a primary attending physician, you will be seen by anyone. Which sounds good, so you don't have to schedule around one person. But seems like it really means your treatment plan is not understood by the people you are seeing. Or maybe it is that my particular doctor didn't do a good job of documenting my treatment plan in my chart, so other doctors couldn't answer the questions I had.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
I was given a schedule for when to expect results. I asked if the holidays would impact those dates. I was told no. I called a week after they said they would be available, because I hadn't gotten them yet. They didn't have them, but finally got them later that day. We weren't told our treatment plan changed to ICSI or why. When we finally got this information, I was not told my partner had to come in to fill out paperwork again. My trigger medication was not included in my initial prescription, so I had to arrange a separate delivery. They didn't do a good job estimating how many refills I would need when my cycle was running long, so I had to schedule multiple next day deliveries.
Lusine Aghajanova
Sunnyvale

Dr. Lathi's bedside manner is good...in the end, I got what I wanted - a healthy baby. So I'm very happy with my outcome, although I wish the process of getting to it had been smoother...I had very few interactions with Dr. Lathi. She struck me as very knowledgeable and compassionate. There was a communication mishap that led to me getting a treatment protocol that was slightly different than what I had requested. It was very upsetting to end up with a lower yield than my last cycle, but after PGS testing, I ended up with the same number of genetically normal embryos as I did in my last cycle.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
I had very few interactions with Dr. Lathi. She struck me as very knowledgeable and compassionate. There was a communication mishap that led to me getting a treatment protocol that was slightly different than what I had requested. It was very upsetting to end up with a lower yield than my last cycle, but after PGS testing, I ended up with the same number of genetically normal embryos as I did in my last cycle. And in the end, I got what I wanted - a healthy baby. So I'm very happy with my outcome, although I wish the process of getting to it had been smoother.
Dr. Lathi's bedside manner is good, but under Stanford's group practice model, you will see a dizzying array of doctors and nurses throughout your cycle. Although I saw Dr. Lathi for my consult, a fellow performed the retrieval and Dr. Nakajima performed the implantation. And I think I saw every single doctor in the practice for the ultrasounds. My care felt fragmented, to say the least. And bedside manner varied among the doctors. One of the fellows checked her phone during my visit -- first time that's ever happened to me with a doctor. And another fellow didn't even come see me after she did my egg retrieval. Instead, she sent a nurse to inform me of my results, which were far worse than those from my previous cycle, leaving me in tears. I'm sure this fellow didn't know what my expectations were because I had only discussed this with Dr. Lathi. I trust that both of them had very positive intent, but with all these hand-offs, it's hard to not feel like a number.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Over a year after my cycle, I can't really remember much about the nursing staff, which makes me think that there was probably nothing either incredibly amazing or horrible that they did.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
I'm not a huge fan of the group practice model from a customer service standpoint. We based our decision of where to go on a) Stanford's good outcomes data and b) Stanford's size and length of the clinic's experience, and c) our assumption that the institution has strong laboratory infrastructure, so there was a decent chance the IVF lab was good or at least wouldn't make horrible mistakes. Having had a successful implantation and live birth on our first try with Stanford, and hearing how they were not one of the clinics that accidentally destroyed embryos, we still stand by our decision, even though our experience had some bumps along the way.
I can't remember, but they were minimal because we had good insurance coverage
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
This was my second cycle. In my first cycle at a different institution, they used a very aggressive protocol that left me with very mild hyperstimulation. I communicated to Stanford that I still wanted to replicate that protocol. I discovered after the retrieval that the protocol was slightly altered, which I think is why my total yield was significantly lower than in my first cycle. In the end, the total number of genetically normal embryos was the same as in the first cycle, but a part of me will still always wonder if we would have gotten more normal embryos this time if we had followed the same protocol and ended up with more embryos.
Sunnyvale

we didn’t get much quality time with her [Dr. Lathi]. It was a quick 2 min Q&A session after the baseline ultrasound. Next time we saw her was at our IUI appointment...We saw Dr. Lathi just a few times and every time she seemed very tired and overworked. She barely would touch on what was happening and I would ask her multiple questions to understand our treatment and her plan. I never felt that was aware of our medical history or our unique needs as patients. I didn’t feel that she was invested in us as patients.
This clinic [Stanford University] is a typical teaching clinic - disorganized factory line. If you’re looking for personalized treatment plan and an individualized approach - go elsewhere. You’ll be passed from doctor to doctor within your cycle per the schedule of the clinic...We were seen by multiple doctors who were never aware of our infertility situation and we had to correct them every time we were seen (same with the nurses). The clinic is run like a mad house, no one knows what’s going on. As a patient you have to keep track of everything what’s going on with your treatment and constantly keep calling the clinic to make sure you get what need.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Look for someone else or if you decide to stick with her - make the best use of the time with her fellows.
There was a standard scheme of using Letrozole per our request. She didn’t hesitate to approve Letrozole and wasn’t pushing for Clomid. I can’t elaborate more, unfortunately, because we didn’t get much quality time with her. It was a quick 2 min Q&A session after the baseline ultrasound. Next time we saw her was at our IUI appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: I don’t want to provide the name. She was nice but super overworked.)
The nurses are nice when you interact with them one on one, otherwise it’s difficult to get a hold of them. The person I liked the most was their ultrasound tech - Katie. She is amazing!
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
This clinic is a typical teaching clinic - disorganized factory line. If you’re looking for personalized treatment plan and an individualized approach - go elsewhere. You’ll be passed from doctor to doctor within your cycle per the schedule of the clinic.
We paid around $350/cycle due to our insurance coverage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
Coordination of meds was a repeated issue which we had to resolve ourselves. On the day of the trigger shot, we had to pay out of pocket to be consistent with the timing/cycle schedule. They failed to coordinate twice with our insurance, which is why we didn’t get our meds on time and our insurance was blamed both times.
Sunnyvale

Dr. Milki is highly responsive. He understands that this is a sensitive process that has the potential of unleashing an array of powerful emotions. He has always taken the time to answer all of our questions and he does what he can to alleviate any frustration or anxiety caused by the process.... Dr. Milki is highly numeric. Throughout the whole process, he'll walk you through the odds given your particular case, and he'll back up those odds by showing you how he got to his numbers. This was tremendously helpful to us as we were dealing with many misconceptions.
The facilities [Standford U] are brand new. They are clean and, from what I understand, have state of the art equipment. The lobby is somewhat small and can get crowded at times. If you arrive at those times, you may have to wait in line to check in. Save for those minor issues, there really is nothing to complain about. I most cases you do not have to wait long.... Our appointments were always punctual. The nurses would answer many of our questions and, when the couldn't, they would often get Dr. Milki to call us quickly.
How was your experience with Amin Milki at Stanford University?
Dr. Milki is highly numeric. Throughout the whole process, he'll walk you through the odds given your particular case, and he'll back up those odds by showing you how he got to his numbers. This was tremendously helpful to us as we were dealing with many misconceptions. Most visits were roughly 30 minutes in length, with the initial visit considerably longer. Milki also would respond to us by phone either within the day or on the next day. Frankly, I can't recommend him highly enough. He gives classes to all patients (3 hours) that walks them through all of the potential risks.
Don't be scared to ask questions. He's very considerate and has a lot of information and advice he can offer even for the most difficult cases.
We first began by doing an evaluation of the sperm and female anatomy to look for any obvious issues. Those results led us to doing IUIs without any additional support. Regrettably, that did not work. We then did IUIs with stimulation. This also did not work. In total we did 9 IUIs. The lack of results was frustrating but he walked us through all of the potential reasons for this. Whe then proceeded to IVF (birth control for one month; stimulation; no ICSI). IVF determined that there is likely a genetic cause of our problems. Since we are still undergoing this process, we do not have a final result--but Dr. Milki has proposed a different IVF procedure (different medications for stimulation; ICSI)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
They never made you wait. Our appointments were always punctual. The nurses would answer many of our questions and, when the couldn't, they would often get Dr. Milki to call us quickly.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The facilities are brand new. They are clean and, from what I understand, have state of the art equipment. The lobby is somewhat small and can get crowded at times. If you arrive at those times, you may have to wait in line to check in. Save for those minor issues, there really is nothing to complain about. I most cases you do not have to wait long.
IUI were roughly 900 dollars IVF was 20k
Dr. Milki favors single embryo transfer. Doing more detailed work on the embryo through the biopsy allows you to be more selective. multiple embryo transfers has a higher odds for twins which puts the mother at increased risk.
Sunnyvale

When you can actually get an appointment with her [Dr. Lathi] she is personable, however, she is very hard to schedule with. She listens but is very set in her own ways and does not let you try other options nor is she open to different treatment plans. She is direct and NOT warm and fuzzy. She left me hanging for LONG weekends after both egg retrievals which each had 9 mature eggs retrieved had poor fertilization. I feel like a good doctor should reach out at such an emotional and painful time.
Just overall a chaotic clinic [Stanford]. Wrong prescriptions were sent. I had to stay on top of everything and didn't trust them.... Strengths - smart doctors, they will take almost any patient regardless of age or diagnoses. Weaknesses - VERY busy - the waiting room is always full, only offered Day 5 transfers with genetic testing for me, no Day 2 or 3. I felt more like a number... They are just plain too busy. They ordered the wrong meds at times - ovidrel instead of ganirelix.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi is very smart and direct, however, she was so confident and then things went completely south so I lost faith in her very early on after our first egg retrieval. She tried to use ICSI for our 2nd round and was confident that was the issue, which it ended up not being. She was completely wrong about everything my body was doing so we had to switch clinics.
Careful to trust her, she has a one track mind and doesn't deviate from her set plan. Maybe if you're an easy, straight forward case IVF will work for you under her care, it sure didn't for me and that was a surprise even to her, which doesn't build my confidence in her. IUI was a success so I would go to her for that.
When you can actually get an appointment with her she is personable, however, she is very hard to schedule with. She listens but is very set in her own ways and does not let you try other options nor is she open to different treatment plans. She is direct and NOT warm and fuzzy. She left me hanging for LONG weekends after both egg retrievals which each had 9 mature eggs retrieved had poor fertilization. I feel like a good doctor should reach out at such an emotional and painful time. One was Thanksgiving weekend, the other Easter and no response from her.
Both cycles used Menopur (150) and Follistim (300) for 10 days. She said I was a straightforward case with this protocol. It generated 9 mature eggs both cycles but the fertilization wasn't very good. ONLY ONE the first cycle - we did an investigation to see what went wrong but no one would speak up. Something was off. The 2nd cycle 8 mature eggs, 3 fertilized and made it to Day 3 (I wish I would've transferred them at that point) but not to Day 5.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
They are just plain too busy. They ordered the wrong meds at times - ovidrel instead of ganirelix. Hold times on the phone have improved but they are always very rushed.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strengths - smart doctors, they will take almost any patient regardless of age or diagnoses. Weaknesses - VERY busy - the waiting room is always full, only offered Day 5 transfers with genetic testing for me, no Day 2 or 3. I felt more like a number and when it didn't work they were like..."Oh well"....I wished they had acted more like "What's next" since I still didn't have a baby.
My insurance did pay for some of my care and that is why I went to Stanford. Meds were over $5000 both rounds.
After my failed cycles she determined it was my egg quality but my results were much different when we switched clinics. She was only going to transfer one embryo. Stanford is very against multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
Just overall a chaotic clinic. Wrong prescriptions were sent. I had to stay on top of everything and didn't trust them. I think with IVF and any medical procedure you want to feel confident that you can leave it up to the professionals but I didn't feel that way so it added more stress.

2014 - 2018, Successful
Dr. Lathi knows her stuff. If you are someone who needs a lot of emotional coddling, she may not be the doctor for you. If you are looking for someone who can explain the ins and out, where’s and whyfores of the process, a doctor who will be honest with you both clinically and emotionally, then she is a great choice.... Dr. Lathi is now helping me to decide whether I will do IVF, or continue with Follistim and IUI.
Last year I had the lab accidentally send a full vial of donor sperm back to the sperm bank, and discovered this two days before IUI. The clinic remedied the problem immediately by calling the sperm bank and paying to have them overnight the vial.... I’ve been really happy with Stanford overall. I will say that if you are looking to have all of your care performed by the same physician, this may not be the clinic for you...
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
As I mentioned earlier, Dr. Lathi is not warn and fuzzy, but with that said, she is very compassionate. She talks through her line of thinking in a very palatable/understandable way, she addresses all of my concerns in a thoughtful manner, and she really blew me away when I learned I was about to miscarry for the third time. There was no sense of being hurried along. She sat with me, listened to all of my sadness and fear, and really helped me through the moment, and the “what next.”
Dr. Lathi knows her stuff. If you are someone who needs a lot of emotional coddling, she may not be the doctor for you. If you are looking for someone who can explain the ins and out, where’s and whyfores of the process, a doctor who will be honest with you both clinically and emotionally, then she is a great choice. I think she’s also a great choice for medical professionals undergoing the fertility journey.
Dr. Lathi is definitely not the most warm and fuzzy doctor that I have seen at Stanford, and I’ve seen a lot of doctors there. I am in the medical field, and what I appreciate most is her candor, her willingness to talk through her thought process, citing current research, and then pausing to recognize that there is more to the fertility journey than numbers and logic. I recently experienced my third miscarriage, first discovered as an empty sac on ultrasound with her. She was so gentle, kind and compassionate. She really took the time to help me through the moment, to encourage me to be gentle with myself, and to be realistic, but never give up hope. I so appreciated her way of being with me. For a doctor that I never really associated with “warm and fuzzy,” she was really really wonderful when I needed her to be.
I never thought I would do IVF. I’m a “choice mom” (meaning I’m single and used donor sperm to conceive my son), and had very little difficulty the first time around. I conceived him on my 3rd IUI when I was 39 years old. The second time around, I’ve had three miscarriages and three doctors, and now, at 43, I’m considering IVF. We went from natural (0 BFPs), to Letrazole (2 BFPs, 2 miscarriages), to follistim (1 BFP, 1 miscarriage) all with IUI. Dr. Lathi is now helping me to decide whether I will do IVF, or continue with Follistim and IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Each doctor at Stanford is assigned a team of med techs who do the rooming and set up for ultrasound. Their nurses do much of the phone work, at least, when you are undergoing IUI. I suspect you see the nurses in person when you’re undergoing IVF a little more frequently. They are always polite, courteous, and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
I’ve been really happy with Stanford overall. I will say that if you are looking to have all of your care performed by the same physician, this may not be the clinic for you. There are a team of doctors here, and they all work together, so while you see your primary doctor as often as possible, it isn’t always your doctor performing insemination or ultrasound if they are not on duty when you require your specific treatment or intervention
My insurance doesn’t cover anything. About $345 per ultrasound. $600 per IUI. IVF with PGD testing is about 25K
Sunnyvale
she [Dr. Lathi] most always was on time. We went through two IUI’s and moved forward with ICSI next. When it was time for the FET my lining was not responding to the supplemental protocol so we cancelled. Dr. Lathi changed my protocol which worked wonders because I’m pregnant now. Definitely recommend!...She treated me more like a human than other doctors. Answered all my questions. Was upfront about any news. Always ended our appts by asking if I had questions.
I spoke to several nurses throughout my care [at Stanford University] but Nadia responded to most questions. She got me in for an emergency visit at one point and answered a lot of my questions. The weekend nurses filled in occasionally answered basic questions but Nadia was able to be more helpful to independent cases. Veronica the medical assistant was my life saver through this process. She laughed with me and cried with me. It makes such a difference when the staff is personable in a place like this. I would go back to this clinic just to visit Veronica. She is amazing!
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr Lathi met all our expectations and I will definitely see her again for future pregnancies. Her and the team were professional and she most always was on time. We went through two IUI’s and moved forward with ICSI next. When it was time for the FET my lining was not responding to the supplemental protocol so we cancelled. Dr. Lathi changed my protocol which worked wonders because I’m pregnant now. Definitely recommend!
Come prepared with questions. She’s always willing to answer.
IUI 1&2 - Letrozole 2.5 with hcg trigger IVF cycle- low stim for pcos witb follistim, Menopur, ganirelix. Trigger was a Lipton trigger to prevent hyperstimulation. FET #1 attempt- estradiol to quiet ovaries and thicken lining. Didn’t respond to the estradiol so canceled. FET success- Letrozole cd3-7 - 5mg, cd8-14 Menopur, ovidrel trigger cd 15. Transfer cd 21. Lining ended up at 8.4.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Nadia)
I spoke to several nurses throughout my care but Nadia responded to most questions. She got me in for an emergency visit at one point and answered a lot of my questions. The weekend nurses filled in occasionally answered basic questions but Nadia was able to be more helpful to independent cases. Veronica the medical assistant was my life saver through this process. She laughed with me and cried with me. It makes such a difference when the staff is personable in a place like this. I would go back to this clinic just to visit Veronica. She is amazing!
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strengths- incredibly smart doctors. Short wait times. Quick responses via MyChart. Weaknesses- only negative experience was with Dr Agajonova. She made me feel like I never was going to be able to conceive more than once. At which point I switched doctors. I would have liked to know more about the behind the doors process with our embryos. What the embryologist did, what’s protocol was use to freeze and thaw?
We had 25k with insurance and went over the max between two IUI’s and IVF
Dr Lathi advised us to transfer one and gave the reasoning behind it. She told us our risks and let us make the final decision. After a lot of research, tons of time passing and listening to our gut we transferred two embryos.
Sunnyvale
Dr. Nakajima's strengths: very knowledgeable, supportive, responsive to questions, encouraging, honest, Dr. Nakajima's weaknesses: always in a hurry and gets straight to the point (which is both good and bad) but it can feel like you are being pushed at times.... We did 2 egg retrieval rounds and fertilized with my partner's sperm immediately after the retrievals. In the first round I was given Follistim, Menopur and Lupron Microdose. With that round I produced 8 eggs, and we ended up with 2 euploid chromasomally normal embryos. In the second round we did the same protocol, but added on HGH (because studies showed this could help improve egg quality). From that round we ended up with 13 eggs and 4 euploid chromasomally normal embryos. We are currently debating whether or not to do a third round.
Clinic [Stanford] strengths: the staff are very nice and work really hard to meet your needs. Being at a prestigious research facility is also comforting. You know the physicians are high quality because of the Stanford reputation Clinic weaknesses: it's a huge patient population and it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you have an emergency or a question
How was your experience with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
Come to your appointment with your questions prepared.
The Stanford experience has been overall positive. The negatives are related to the volume of patients they see: they give you a pager to take around the clinic so they know where you are. I've had to wait for a long time and appointments with the doctor have felt rushed. And when we had to fill out our consent forms, Dr. Nakajima really rushed us through that and told us what to agree to without much explanation. On the other hand, they have been responsive to my questions. The doctors have been attentive. The nursing staff is amazing and I have been treated with respect.
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve based on a low OAR and AMH. I am 37years old. The clinic and Dr. Nakajima were able to see me within a reasonable timeframe and explained the need for IVF based on these results. We did 2 egg retrieval rounds and fertilized with my partner's sperm immediately after the retrievals. In the first round I was given Follistim, Menopur and Lupron Microdose. With that round I produced 8 eggs, and we ended up with 2 euploid chromasomally normal embryos. In the second round we did the same protocol, but added on HGH (because studies showed this could help improve egg quality). From that round we ended up with 13 eggs and 4 euploid chromasomally normal embryos. We are currently debating whether or not to do a third round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Dorothy)
They are very patient and compassionate. I sometimes trust their opinion more than the doctor's because they are down to earth and very friendly!
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Clinic strengths: the staff are very nice and work really hard to meet your needs. Being at a prestigious research facility is also comforting. You know the physicians are high quality because of the Stanford reputation Clinic weaknesses: it's a huge patient population and it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you have an emergency or a question
I have incredible insurance through my work that covered the majority of my IVF costs (sooooo lucky!), so I don't have much info to add here
When we do a transfer we will only be transferring a single embryo
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
I've had to call to ask about results when the clinic has said they would call us. I've also had to wait to get updates on protocols (but I am a healthcare provider myself, so I knew how to work through this). I also had confusing directions on a protocol, and when I called to clarify it was really hard to get in touch with a provider which was stressful.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Lathi was the only doctor who had me evaluated for endometritis, which I tested positive for... Dr. Lathi is an academic and obviously abreast of the latest research studies/papers. That's exactly what I wanted - I didn't need my RE to be my life coach or spend a lot of time talking about my feelings. What I needed was someone smart, thoughtful and could ultimately get me pregnant! That's not to say she wasn't empathetic. I felt like she really cared about me but was also action-oriented.
Sometimes they [staff at Stanford University] were great (super efficient, prompt at calling back after I notified them of a certain event in my cycle). Other times, you would wait at the receptionist's desk for 30+ minutes. I also had a couple times where I would call to notify the beginning of a cycle or of a positive OPK test. I knew that a visit to the clinic was needed within X number of days, and I wouldn't get a call back. It added a lot of stress, where I would call multiple times in the next few days and still get the answering service. Everything worked out in the end but I do think it added a lot of unnecessary stress to an already stressful time. Separately, the main phlebotomist at the clinic is AMAZING. Super calming, sweet and every blood draw was painless & smooth (I have tiny/difficult veins). Loved her.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi's style was perfectly suited for me. After multiple pregnancy losses, I had seen a slew of doctors and run various panels. Everything looked "ok". Dr. Lathi was the only doctor who had me evaluated for endometritis, which I tested positive for. Although we'll never know if that was the real underlying reason for my infertility, it was the only anomaly that was discovered and she was the only doctor to identify it. Dr. Lathi is an academic and obviously abreast of the latest research studies/papers. That's exactly what I wanted - I didn't need my RE to be my life coach or spend a lot of time talking about my feelings. What I needed was someone smart, thoughtful and could ultimately get me pregnant! That's not to say she wasn't empathetic. I felt like she really cared about me but was also action-oriented. She was extremely efficient. Always on time for appointments, procedures with Dr. Lathi were quick and less uncomfortable than when other doctors did them, and she was direct in answering all my questions. I can see how some people may feel rushed, but my sense is that it's just her communication style. Also, both my husband and I loved how she was very forward looking. After each pregnancy loss, she was empathetic but also very positive about our next cycle. It was very much "ok, what's next", which was the push we needed. She also always had a plan - I felt like Dr. Lathi had the experience to adjust my protocol as needed, and based off of how my body was responding to the medication. Can't say enough how much I loved her and that I would highly recommend her to anyone suffering from Recurrent Loss.
Know that she is direct and to the point. Don't misinterpret that as cold.
Dr. Lathi spent a lot of time with me to walk through my history, diagnosis and IVF plan. I had recurrent miscarriages (5 pregnancy losses) and felt like she really took the time to read through my file, check prior test results through other doctors and then thoughtfully recommend other tests. She was always on top of my case file, even when I would sometimes forget certain events - after 3 years, even your personal medical history can get a little confusing. Her communication style is succinct, so I can understand why some may find her aloof, but I never felt rushed and she answered all my questions. With my 5th pregnancy, I had "graduated" from Dr. Lathi to my regular OB and then suffered another pregnancy loss at 16 weeks. I called Dr. Lathi and she took the time to call me during her lunch hour that same day.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Front desk and call service was a hit or miss. Sometimes they were great (super efficient, prompt at calling back after I notified them of a certain event in my cycle). Other times, you would wait at the receptionist's desk for 30+ minutes. I also had a couple times where I would call to notify the beginning of a cycle or of a positive OPK test. I knew that a visit to the clinic was needed within X number of days, and I wouldn't get a call back. It added a lot of stress, where I would call multiple times in the next few days and still get the answering service. Everything worked out in the end but I do think it added a lot of unnecessary stress to an already stressful time. Separately, the main phlebotomist at the clinic is AMAZING. Super calming, sweet and every blood draw was painless & smooth (I have tiny/difficult veins). Loved her.
Dr. Lathi strongly recommended single embryo transfers. When I asked her the reasoning why, she said there were less complications and risks associated with it. I completely agreed and still am very thankful that we only did single transfers.
Sunnyvale

They [Stanford fertility] have 2 phlebotomists that are unable to get blood samples from me without poking me at least twice. The front desk staff is unable to solve problems such as printer working, rescheduling appointments that are delayed for more than 40 min. Nurses cannot give proper instructions and fail to communicate with doctors about procedures. Specific doctors that I have seen have no sensitivity to what they say. There's a doctor there named Sarah Churchill, I think she is new. At the end of my first retrieval she told me I "didn't have that many eggs" so there was no justification for my severe pain after the retrieval. The only explanation she could come up with was "you are too sensitive to pain". Just now on the phone she said "patients with a low to intermediate response have to trigger with FSH". Finally, today I went in for a blood test. The order was wrong, so I ended up waiting again.....then when I went in the phlebotomist could not find a vein and got blood from my forearm. Later, I got a phone call today from their sta
How was your experience with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
I started the treatment very hopeful as this doctor looks great on paper and Stanford has a great reputation. However, Dr. Nakajima would constantly forget about my condition and I would have to remind him of it. He also never expalined the results of the treatment or had the initiative to design an alternate protocol for me. He never explained how could I improve my success rates and failed to explain the course of the treatment. For example, at the end on my first retrieval, I though I was going to have an embryo transfer in my next cycle. When I called the clinic they told me that the clinic would be closed for the Holidays. I had canceled all my travel plans at that point, thinking I had to stay at home during the holidays for the transfer. Nobody at the clinic was able to explain to me the reason to which I wasn't going to do the transfer. I had to argue on the phone and demand for a phone consultation with the doctor. He then called and said I couldn't do the transfer because my body had to recover for a longer time?! He then also said that the outcome was poor and I shoudl try and bank more embryos before doing the transfer. Well, that would have been a good information to tell me in the beggining of the treatment. Also because I could decide to do the treatment with a clinic that does bundle packages. Now I am on my second cycle and I haven't seen him once. I have emailed him about 10 times and he never responded to my messages. In a nutshell, I am treated like some woman who is doing IVF in the clinic that he works. He knows nothing about me, how I feel about the treatment and where I stand right now. By far the worst doctor I have ever had.
Find another doctor, because this one will not treat you with the dignity and respect that you deserve.
Dr. Nakajima never listen to me. He never gave me an explanation for why we need IVF or any other treatment. He never addressed any of my concerns and would only answer my questions after I have asked sternly.
IVF cycle 1 - 225IU Follistin, 150 Menopour. Follistin increased to 300IU at day 5 of stimulation, trigger with ovidrel and lupron. I have severe reaction after the retrieval. Retrieve 18 eggs, 10 mature and fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst IVF cycle 2 - 300Follistin, 150 menopour, trigger with novarel and fsh 400IU. Retrival is in two days.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Nursing staff is very incompetent. Mixed instructions, delay in returning emails/calls, long wait times at the clinic. It is extremely hard to communicate with them.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
This clinic has no strengths for woman like me who are looking for an outstanding medical practice that will produce success. The clinic is always packed and you can wait between 5 to 45min for your appointment. The front desk can't even give you a receipt. For example, I paid my cycle in November and was told at the day that the printer wasn't working so they couldn't print a receipt. I called many times and asked different people about the receipt, today, 3 months later they were able to give me the receipt! Another example, las Tuesday I had an appointment at 11:45am. I arrived on time and waited for 45 min. I had to return to work. They called me and asked me to return at 4pm. So I did. AS I checked in the receptionist wanted to charge me for the copay again?!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Stanford University.
Line around the corner every time.
12000 per IVF Cyle
His words "you are petite, so it is safe to transfer 1 embryo". Sounds like he had to go through a lot of work to decide that. By the way, I am petite by American standards. In my country, I am "regular".
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
They have 2 phlebotomists that are unable to get blood samples from me without poking me at least twice. The front desk staff is unable to solve problems such as printer working, rescheduling appointments that are delayed for more than 40 min. Nurses cannot give proper instructions and fail to communicate with doctors about procedures. Specific doctors that I have seen have no sensitivity to what they say. There's a doctor there named Sarah Churchill, I think she is new. At the end of my first retrieval she told me I "didn't have that many eggs" so there was no justification for my severe pain after the retrieval. The only explanation she could come up with was "you are too sensitive to pain". Just now on the phone she said "patients with a low to intermediate response have to trigger with FSH". Finally, today I went in for a blood test. The order was wrong, so I ended up waiting again.....then when I went in the phlebotomist could not find a vein and got blood from my forearm. Later, I got a phone call today from their staff manager saying that I have mistreated their staff. After all that I have put up with, I get a phone call?! Really this clinic is beyond terrible. They offer no support and have no idea how much stress they have added to me because of their lack of professionalsm.
Sunnyvale
We used IUI after trying clomid for a while [with Dr. Nakajima]...After trying to conceive naturally and via IVF and after facing many hurdles, we finally turned to Dr Nakajima when we thought all was lost. He was very patient with us and gave us detailed options. He never pushed us into making quick decisions unlike a few other fertility specialists we had tried. He allowed us to take our time in thinking over the various choices calmly without any deadlines. We spent months pondering our choices and improving our health. When we finally decided to try IUI with him, it worked the very first time and we are expecting a child now.
less than $500 for entire IUI out of pocket [at Stanford University]...Clean, modern and comfortable. Most importantly the people are compassionate and caring. They give 24 hour support and answer all calls during critical times. Waiting times are usually around 10 minutes... We are especially grateful to the many nurses in the team who responded to our various concerns and worries in the early days of the pregnancy as well as during the IUI process itself.
How was your experience with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
The light at the end of the tunnel -------------------------------------------------- After trying to conceive naturally and via IVF and after facing many hurdles, we finally turned to Dr Nakajima when we thought all was lost. He was very patient with us and gave us detailed options. He never pushed us into making quick decisions unlike a few other fertility specialists we had tried. He allowed us to take our time in thinking over the various choices calmly without any deadlines. We spent months pondering our choices and improving our health. When we finally decided to try IUI with him, it worked the very first time and we are expecting a child now. Dr Nakajima is serene and his calmness was very comforting when we were going through many emotional roller coasters. He listens carefully and compassionately and offers constructive suggestions. The facilities used by Dr.Nakajima's team are top notch and better than anything else we had seen (and we had seen quite a few before). Most importantly the entire atmosphere there was positive and encouraging.
Trust him
We used IUI after trying clomid for a while
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Along with Nakajima we are grateful to his entire team. The IUI process was very organized and we were given all the information, costs and process details up-front. Everyone in the team starting from the receptionists, nurses and many doctors in his team with whom we interacted were thoroughly professional, understanding and considerate. They took care to make the entire sensitive process as stress-free and dignified as possible. We are especially grateful to the many nurses in the team who responded to our various concerns and worries in the early days of the pregnancy as well as during the IUI process itself.
less than $500 for entire IUI out of pocket

2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Milki] spends so much time with us, answering every question we have. On our first visit he had clearly done his homework since he knew every detail of our case. He explains things in a way that is easy to understand and looks you in the eye when speaking...He is patient, caring, knowledgeable, thoroughly explaines all aspects of treatment in a way that is gentle but not sugar coated...
The clinic [Stanford U] reminds me of a hotel lobby - clean, comfortable. You receive a pager-like badge that keeps track of how long you wait at each stage of your appointment to minimize wait time for you and make sure you are constantly being treated or acknowledged which is amazing. As a result I have never waited past my appointment time to be seen and am usually taken early...
How was your experience with Amin Milki at Stanford University?
After searching for a caring, experienced doctor to help us conceive our second child we found what we were looking for in Dr Milki. He is patient, caring, knowledgeable, thoroughly explaines all aspects of treatment in a way that is gentle but not sugar coated.
Initial appointments can be difficult to get into (I waited to months) but don't get discouraged because once you are an established patients it is easy to get in when needed, including weekends and holidays.
He spends so much time with us, answering every question we have. On our first visit he had clearly done his homework since he knew every detail of our case. He explains things in a way that is easy to understand and looks you in the eye when speaking.
I am currently in the middle of treatment. I have taken Clomid, an hcg trigger (Ovidril) in preparation for an IUI and am now on progesterone (Endometrin). My husband checked out good and I have used Clomid alone many times in the past. Dr Milki diagnosed my incredibly short luetal phase with hopes the progesterone helps in a viable pregnancy this cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Everyone I have worked with is caring and compassionate, organized and on top of their game
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The clinic reminds me of a hotel lobby - clean, comfortable. You receive a pager-like badge that keeps track of how long you wait at each stage of your appointment to minimize wait time for you and make sure you are constantly being treated or acknowledged which is amazing. As a result I have never waited past my appointment time to be seen and am usually taken early
I know my insurance covers 80% of fertility treatments making my care reasonable at this point

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I do believe that she [Dr Lathi] is a good doctor and cares about her patients she just isn't good at expressing it. It took the loss of the child that we conceived through IUI for her to show emotion. She is efficient when it comes performing procedures, I do trust her and she shows confidence. However, she doesn't explain the process or show what is happening on the screen often. She doesn't present the statistics or lab results in their entirety. When she does explain something it is quick and short. She gets in and gets out.
The front reception staff is kind [at Stanford Fertility]. Imani is the lead front desk manager and is amazing and a ray of sunshine! There is no financial consultation prior to treatment, they only give you a piece of paper breaking down cost without insurance. They have incorrectly billed for treatment several times and generally aren't very helpful, to their defense I think they only have 2 people in the billing department. Originally when we first started at the clinic it could take a 30 min wait on the phone to get through to a customer service rep to change an apt, ask a question, prescription issue etc. once you get the hang of how he call system works it goes a little faster. I did place a complaint and since then I have seen an improvement in wait time and question turn around time. There needs to be better communication between patient, nurse and Doctor. For example our last IUI my doctor (Dr. Shah) called to tell me my pregnancy results were negative. Later that evening a nurse called to tell me my results again. The next morning another nurse called to tall me my results were negative, 3 times of hearing negative is heartbreaking! For a new patient, don't expect to see the same Doctor every time. Don't expect to get a quick response for your questions, you will need to stay on top of people and advocate for yourself. Also don't hesitate to express your concerns they do listen and I have noticed improvements.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
I do believe that she is a good doctor and cares about her patients she just isn't good at expressing it. It took the loss of the child that we conceived through IUI for her to show emotion. She is efficient when it comes performing procedures, I do trust her and she shows confidence. However, she doesn't explain the process or show what is happening on the screen often. She doesn't present the statistics or lab results in their entirety. When she does explain something it is quick and short. She gets in and gets out.
Research the infertility process prior to the visit, come with questions and don't let her leave till they are all answered so that you understand.
It took several visits for Dr. Lathi to warm up and have some bedside manner. For most every visit she was quick to get in and out. She didn't volunteer information about he process or ask if we had questions. When I did have questions she would answer them but I felt rushed and like it was a bother. She was often running late, I one E airhead 45 min in an exam room. If it weren't for my husband being with me to ask what was going on, I probably would have been forgotten, I don't recall being asked "how are you doing?" I think it's important for Dr.'s to check in with their patients.
For my first 3 IUI's we did them all natural, no hormones and no trigger shots. This was a decision by Lathi, myself and my cardiologist. I have congenital heart disease and we wanted to minimize the chance of twins. We also were diagnosed with unexplained fertility so didn't feel like there was a problem with my eggs or ovulation. After this produced no results we opted to try clomid and and ovidrel. This was my idea and I wanted to take the chance. This worked and we conceived twins.(She didn't perform this IUI) LOL! It worked, but I lost one twin at 8.5 weeks and the other at 20 weeks. I was in the care of my OBGYN when I lost at 20 weeks.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
For the most part the nursing staff is great. However it seems to be a different nurse every visit. It would be nice if the nurse was the same nurse at least with the same doctor to begin to develop a relationship.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
He front reception staff is kind. Imani is the lead front desk manager and is amazing and a ray of sunshine! There is no financial consultation prior to treatment, they only give you a piece of paper breaking down cost without insurance. They have incorrectly billed for treatment several times and generally aren't very helpful, to their defense I think they only have 2 people in the billing department. Originally when we first started at the clinic it could take a 30 min wait on the phone to get through to a customer service rep to change an apt, ask a question, prescription issue etc. once you get the hang of how he call system works it goes a little faster. I did place a complaint and since then I have seen an improvement in wait time and question turn around time. There needs to be better communication between patient, nurse and Doctor. For example our last IUI my doctor (Dr. Shah) called to tell me my pregnancy results were negative. Later that evening a nurse called to tell me my results again. The next morning another nurse called to tall me my results were negative, 3 times of hearing negative is heartbreaking! For a new patient, don't expect to see the same Doctor every time. Don't expect to get a quick response for your questions, you will need to stay on top of people and advocate for yourself. Also don't hesitate to express your concerns they do listen and I have noticed improvements.
We have insurance that covers up to 50% of 6 IUI's. They didn't code my husbands lab visits correctly and we were billed 100%. I have yet to see a bill for our first 4 IUI's
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
- the called three times to tell me my pregnancy test was negative. - there have been a few times my calls have not been returned - I have had issues with ordering my prescriptions timely. They also have over prescribed the amounts.
2015, Successful
Dr. Lathi is a good, friendly, competent doctor who would answer all my questions with one exception...If seeing the same doctor and having a strong rapport is important to you, perhaps there is a clinic that does it better.
[At Stanford] I saw a total of four other doctors when [Dr. Lathi] was busy, so if continuity with the same doctor is very important to you, Stanford might not be the clinic for you. Wait times to see her would vary from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, which could be frustrating.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi is a good, friendly, competent doctor who would answer all my questions with one exception. No one at Stanford wanted to tell me my changes of successfully undergoing the process (I believe it is because my chances were good and they did not want to get my hopes up). In the clinic I saw a total of four other doctors when she was busy, so if continuity with the same doctor is very important to you, Stanford might not be the clinic for you. Wait times to see her would vary from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, which could be frustrating.
As I mentioned before there may be a wait to see the doctor, and depending on everyone's schedule you may not see her for important visits (she did neither my egg extraction or implantation), so again if seeing the same doctor and having a strong rapport is important to you, perhaps there is a clinic that does it better.
I do believe they cared about my outcome, and Dr. Lathi (and all the doctors I saw) were very happy when my progress went well. Again, I do not know what happens when things go wrong, which is when I think patient treatment is key. I was at times frustrated with the clinic as a whole because I at times felt my time was not all that important to them, but I did not feel that way when I spoke to any of the doctors.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
The nurses were all very competent and very kind to me. Again I wanted to be informed and did not really want or care about being slowly lead through everything, so my desires may be very different than others. I got to know the receptionists and some of the nurses well and we would chat before I got to see the doctor, but in general they did their job (and did it well) but did not do anything extra (which is what I wanted).

2011 - 2014, Successful
I had 2 miscarriages during the IUI phase of treatment and lost one IVF baby at 23 weeks. She [Dr Baker] was so sensitive to my tears of sadness and frustration. She was very positive with my treatment options, but also very realistic. She was all about helping me and my husband have a baby versus just trying to rack up bills. I am so grateful for my beautiful son, and she deserves so much credit for helping bring him into this world.
Everyone [at Stanford Fertility] was really knowledgable and helpful. The surgical nurses were so great in getting me ready for procedures and dealing with my IV-phobia. Everyone was very caring, especially when there was bad news....Stanford takes pretty much all insurance plans and they do have brochures for infertility plans that other companies sell to help you pay for IVF cycles.
How was your experience with Valerie Baker at Stanford University?
I appreciated how thoughtful and caring she was. If Dr. Baker isn't in on a day when you need to see her, you see her partner Dr. Lahti who is also really amazing. Dr. Baker gives you realistic expectations, but also brings a lot of hope and optimism. You get as much time as you need to understand things and get your questions answered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Baker at Stanford University?
Have a consultation visit to discuss your situation and your options. They do that first for all patients and it really helps everyone get off on the right foot and feel comfortable going forward.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Baker at Stanford University?
She was so caring every step of the way. I had 2 miscarriages during the IUI phase of treatment and lost one IVF baby at 23 weeks. She was so sensitive to my tears of sadness and frustration. She was very positive with my treatment options, but also very realistic. She was all about helping me and my husband have a baby versus just trying to rack up bills. I am so grateful for my beautiful son, and she deserves so much credit for helping bring him into this world.
Describe the protocols Valerie Baker used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
For the first 4 IUIs I did Clomid. The second 4 used an injection protocol without additional estrogen. That same protocol was used for my 3 IVFs with my own eggs, but we did a month of estrogen priming before each IVF cycle. For my donor egg cycle, I was on priming of both estrogen pills and patches and then progesterone shots daily through the implantation and then for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. While the IVF shots were mostly sub-cue, the progesterone shots were intramuscular and my husband gave them to me. They do a really good injectables training so you know how to mix the drugs, use both syringes and injection pens, etc. For all of my IUI cycles, I usually produced between 4-10 follicles. For my IVF cycles, I produced 8 eggs each time. We were fairly aggressive with drug levels given my age (not as much risk for hyper ovarian issues). For drugs, I used Menopur, Estrace pills, Vivelle patches, progesterone in oil, Ganirelix, and Follistim.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Everyone was really knowledgable and helpful. The surgical nurses were so great in getting me ready for procedures and dealing with my IV-phobia. Everyone was very caring, especially when there was bad news.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The space is well-maintained, very polished and comfortable. They remember who you are so that checking in is very easy. Compared to my OB's office, it's like a spa!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Baker at Stanford University.
Our insurance covered the first $20k and most of the visits were considered office visits for billing, so the $20k mostly went to the major procedures. That said, I think we probably spent $50k out of pocket (including all the donor fees) to get our son. My insurance was actually really good an the drugs were obtained through the mail-order pharmacy for the reduced plan rate. Stanford takes pretty much all insurance plans and they do have brochures for infertility plans that other companies sell to help you pay for IVF cycles.
Valerie Baker
2012 - 2013, Successful
Came in to fertility clinic with ovarian cysts - [Dr. Nakajima] put me on birth control, monitored for 3 months. Had laparoscopic surgery to remove cysts. Birth control for 6 weeks...Was compassionate about our situation. Was clear in our options and he trusted our judgement...He was a very supportive doctor. He walked us through every up and down and stayed positive the entire time. When we skipped Ivf for donor embryos he was all in with us and made the process as easy and smooth as possible. We have a beautiful son now because of him. Couldn’t be happier with our care.
I made the decision to transfer multiples with the embryologist not Dr. [at Stanford University]...Dr made it clear that 1 embryo was not thawing well the day of transfer. Gave % of multiples at less than 1%. Only one embryo took...I had an overall good experience. There were some issues with billing but all got resolved. Excellent doctors and fellows. I would recommend to anyone...They [costs] seemed in line with what was typical for the care
How was your experience with Steven Nakajima at Stanford University?
He is very straightforward in his meetings. I love that but I could see where it might catch some off guard. He really does have hour best interests in mind though
5 rounds of clomid with OBGYN Came in to fertility clinic with ovarian cysts - put me on birth control, monitored for 3 months. Had laparoscopic surgery to remove cysts. Birth control for 6 weeks One round of letrezol with iui - no pregnancy but cyst was back. Back on BC Cyst dissolved. Said we wanted to do embryo donation. Began fet cycle Transferred 3 embryos Pregnancy with 1 Successful birth
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
Very good. They were changing over to digital records at the time so it was a little hectic at times
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
I had an overall good experience. There were some issues with billing but all got resolved. Excellent doctors and fellows. I would recommend to anyone. Keep in mind this is Dr Nakajimas old clinic in Louisville
I really don’t remember. They seemed in line with what was typical for the care
I made the decision to transfer multiples with the embryologist not Dr. Dr made it clear that 1 embryo was not thawing well the day of transfer. Gave % of multiples at less than 1%. Only one embryo took