Genetic counseling: Offered
is not offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) to a friend?

6.9

View fewer doctors
Each follicle ultrasound cost $40, each IUI cost $200, and trigger shots were $100. I don't know the exact amount we spent but it was probably close to $3,000 [at Strong Fertility Center]... There are at least 5 doctors who you may see when using Strong Fertility, but you will have a primary doctor who is "your doctor." The strength of this office is there is always a doctor available if you need to speak to someone.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong Fertility is part of University of Rochester and they partner with regular OB/GYN offices throughout upstate NY and see a lot of people. There are at least 5 doctors who you may see when using Strong Fertility, but you will have a primary doctor who is "your doctor." The strength of this office is there is always a doctor available if you need to speak to someone. The one weakness my husband didn't like about the office is the sperm donation room is not sound proof so bring headphones if your husband has to give a sample during a weekday so he doesn't hear everyone in the hallway while he's trying to provide a quality sample for procedures. Overall the staff at Strong will make you feel welcome and comfortable with every visit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek was very kind and I never felt like I was just a number to her or to any of the staff at U of R. All of the nurses and Dr. Vitek would address me by name every time I had an office visit, phone call, or email response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Adrienne )
The nurse i originally did all communication with was Adrienne and she was wonderful. I spoke with Adrienne multiple times from October 2017-January 2018. She was helpful, responsive, and caring. In May 2018 I was reached out to by multiple nurses and did not have the same experience as I did with Adrienne, most were nice but there we a few who were cold when speaking to and showed little caring about anything they called about. Overall the nursing staff is good, but there are some who could be more compassionate.
How was your experience with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek was excellent from the moment I met her in October 2017. She was incredibly kind, knowledgeable and compassionate. When I lost my son at 21 weeks pregnant to incompetent cervix Dr. Vitek called me and met with me in person to talk through everything and put me in touch with a counselor to make sure I was mentally and emotionally coping.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Ask questions, it doesn't matter if you ask a nurse or Dr. Vitek any of the staff will do their best to answer your questions.
Describe the protocols Wendy Vitek used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
I started my first cycle with Dr. Vitek in October 2017. She diagnosed me with PCOS and we decided to use letrozole for treatment. I started on 5mg and when my follicles were not growing she upped the dosage to 7.5mg. We did Ovidrel trigger shot after some follicle growth in October with timed intercourse. In November we did 7.5mg of letrozole cycle days 3-7, the trigger shot after I had a mature follicle, and timed intercourse. In December we did 7.5mg of letrozole cycle days 3-7 again, then on Christmas Eve on cycle day 17 I was ovulating on my own so we did an IUI that day becuase it was a Saturday and when I got home we did the trigger shot just to give an extra boost. On January 8th I found out after my end of cycle blood pregnancy test that I was pregnant. I was due with my son September 14th, 2018. Unfortunately on May 8th I went into preterm labor due to an incompetent cervix at 21 weeks 3 days gestation and my son did not survive. My period returned and we started letrozole again, our cycle in June 2018 we started with 5mg of letrozole and after no follicle growth moved up to 7.5mg of letrozole. I had an 18mm follicle and we did an IUI with trigger shot. I had an extended cycle and our next round was in August. We did 7.5mg of letrozole cycle days 4-8 and with a mature follicle on the left did the trigger shot and IUI. Both IUI's post the loss of our son were unsuccessful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Each follicle ultrasound cost $40, each IUI cost $200, and trigger shots were $100. I don't know the exact amount we spent but it was probably close to $3,000.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Strong was closed for a full week in January (for "winter break") which delayed the start of my treatment by several weeks. - Strong was closed again for a full week less than two months later for "spring break". Luckily for me it did not impact my treatment. I'm sure others weren't so lucky. I own a retail business in a time sensitive industry and the thought of closing for an entire week is laughable. - Egg retrievals are not done on Saturday or Sunday. This severely limits flexibility as a day or two can be the difference between more or less eggs being retrieved.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Although I'm happy with my doctor and nurse, I am a bit underwhelmed with Strong Fertility as a whole. There were major missteps during many points of my treatment, costing me both money and fertility time. The front desk staff is very uninformed and there are a few staff members that are downright angry and rude. That said, they are conservative and practice evidence based medicine (even though it may mean they are not on the cutting edge). If you prefer science over the kitchen sink approach, then this clinic is likely a fit for you based on the choices in the area. I've left detailed comments on all of the missteps and errors that occurred so far during my treatment in another section of this review.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba remembered all the details of my treatment, the specifics of what was going on with me each time I saw her, and recommended a new protocol she had just learned about during a conference because she felt I fit the required profile.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin)
Kaitlin is extremely sweet and a super caring person. She was meant to be an IVF nurse. She's completely genuine, friendly, and took a personal interest in me as a patient. I always felt comfortable talking to her about anything regarding my treatment. She is a bright point at Strong Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
How was your experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba is smart and straightforward, but also kind and warm. She has a positive attitude and a lot of energy. She cares about her patients and is willing to explain things in detail. She's returned my calls during off hours and has never hesitated to help. She gets excited about your treatment and each small success. She's also down to earth and very real, not pretentious in any way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba talks quickly and is very energetic. I absolutely love that type of personality as it matches my own pace, but some people may prefer a doctor with slower and steadier style. While Dr. Masaba is extremely smart, to the point, and very enthusiastic, she sometimes struggles with details and organization. As long as you self-advocate and stay up on your treatment details (which I'm finding to be an absolute necessity as an IVF patient), you should be fine.
Describe the protocols Erin Masaba used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Estrogen Priming Protocol for DOR with Duostim I have diminished ovarian reserve from multiple surgeries for endometriosis. Dr. Masaba wanted to try IUI first to see how I would respond to meds before proceeding with IVF. IUI is covered by my insurance whereas IVF is not, so I thought this was a good idea before deciding to invest a large amount of money. My antral follicle count had been very low during monitoring - around 2 or 3 during two different baseline ultrasounds. Once it was confirmed that I was responding to meds during my IUI cycle (albeit poorly), Dr. Masaba recommended estrogen priming in conjunction with IVF to increase my follicle production. My antral follicle count went up to 13 and 15 respectively during the two cycles I've done with estrogen priming, so it did help. The first cycle produced 3 follicles. It was less than hoped for, but the cycle was ultimately canceled because the trigger shot failed and converted to an IUI. No pregnancy. The second cycle was a freeze all duostim. The plan was to stim, retrieve, and then stim again 5 days later in the same cycle month to capitalize on all the antral follicles from the priming. The first retrieval in the duostim resulted in 3 follices, with 2 mature eggs. Both fertilized. The second retrieval in the duostim resulted in 7 follicles, 5 mature eggs retrieved, and 5 fertilized. After the duostim, I had a frozen embryo transfer of two high quality 8 cell embryos on day 3. We had one embryo make it to blastocyst on day 6 so that is currently frozen. I did not get pregnant from the transfer. I proceeded with another duostim using estrogen priming rather using my remaining frozen embryo since I'm 36 and want multiple children. The second duostim had similar results as the first in terms of numbers but I ended up with two 5 days blasts for my frozen embryo transfer and two 6 day embryos to freeze! I was thrilled! I am currently 5 weeks pregnant from the embryo transfer this cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
At the time of my treatment, this was the pricing scheme: Package 1. $6500 - Includes one fresh IVF cycle and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfer, or 2 frozen transfers) Package 2. $10,800 - Includes 2 fresh IVF cycles and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen) Package 3. $14,700 - Includes 3 fresh IVF cycles and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen) I started with package 1, moved to package 2, and will be continuing with package 3. My medication costs per cycle were around $4000-5000 (would have be $9-10,000 if I hadn't ordered overseas). If you needed to do any retrievals beyond package 3, previously you needed to start over at package 1 and pay $6500 again which didn't make any sense! After complaining to every doctor I encountered at Strong and making multiple calls to the IVF secretary over my fourth retrieval, I'm thrilled to say that this has been changed! Now additional cycles are $4900 (Package 3 divided by three).
Describe Erin Masaba's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Masaba strongly recommended eSET and warned against the complications of multiples. Ultimately I signed my transfer instructions document with another doctor who happened to be in the office that day. She had no issue transferring two embryos considering my age and infertility history, so that's what I ultimately did.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
My assigned nurse [at Strong Fertility Center] was an extremely nice and caring individual. With that said I had problems with her organization. She would make mistakes often; forgetting to send in prescriptions, forgetting to provide me with needed information or failing to complete things in a time sensitive matter...the other staff at the clinic always resolved it quickly and efficiently when told about these problems.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I was pleased with Strong fertility clinic as a whole. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The other doctors at the practice were always wonderful. I felt comfortable with every one of them. One thing that I find amazing about Strong is that once a week all of the doctors meet as a team about EVERY single patient who is doing an IVF cycle. The doctors go over all of the information about that patient and give their opinions about protocols and next steps. This made me feel like I was getting the best care I could possibly receive. The nurse practitioner was also amazing; fast and extremely knowledgeable. She would be able to put your mind at ease in a minute and would make sure you felt completely comfortable and have all your questions answered before she would leave the room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath always knew everything about me - my numbers , my issues, my past. He never showed up to an appointment without knowing what happened to me. He was blunt when it was needed but was a helpful ear as well. He always made me feel like he was trying everything he could to achieve a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Connie)
My assigned nurse was an extremely nice and caring individual. With that said I had problems with her organization. She would make mistakes often; forgetting to send in prescriptions, forgetting to provide me with needed information or failing to complete things in a time sensitive matter.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
How was your experience with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath was knowledgeable and organized. I only ever wanted a constant plan and backup plan, which he always provided. He would explain everything thoroughly and answered any question we may have had. I have heard that to others he may come off as too blunt or too realistic, but this is exactly what I wanted. I needed to know the reality of the situation and he would always explain without being too harsh. He was always consulting with other doctors trying to find the best course of action. I always trusted his opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath is extremely knowledgeable and will work hard to help you achieve a pregnancy.
Describe the protocols Bala Bhagavath used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
IUI Cycle - Injectables - Gonal to stimulate - the rationale for doing an IUI cycle with me was to see how I responded to injectables. IVF Cycle # 1 - Antagonist protocol - This protocol was used because even though I had a DOR during my IUI cycle I responded extremely well to the medicine. This cycle resulted in 14 eggs , 8 mature , 5 fertilized. 2 embryos were transferred on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 2 - Microdose flare protocol - This protocol was used because the previous cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. This cycle resulted in 11 eggs , 6 mature , 5 fertilized - freeze all cycle. 3 embryos were thawed and transferred a month later on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 3 - Antagonist protocol - This protocol was used because it resulted in a good number of eggs in my first cycle. This cycle resulted in 12 eggs , 7 mature , 6 fertilized. 3 embryos were transferred on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 4 - Antagonist protocol w, Human Growth Hormone - This protocol was used because poor egg quality was attributed to my previous failed IVF cycles. This cycle resulted in 14 eggs , 9 mature , 9 fertilized. 3 embryos were transferred on day 3. Positive pregnancy test - singleton ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
This clinic operates with IVF packages: (they let you start with one package and pay the difference between packages if your cycles result in failure) Packages Package 1 $6500 Includes 1 oocyte retrieval and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfers, or 2 frozen transfers). Package 2 $10,800 Includes 2 oocyte retrievals and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen). Package 3 $14,700 Includes 3 oocyte retrievals and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen). Services Included in Price Injection teaching visit, single trial transfer, office visits during the treatment cycle beginning with the baseline ultrasound, all ultrasounds for follicular monitoring, oocyte retrieval, surgery fees associated with oocyte retrieval, anesthesia associated with retrieval, intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), fertilization and culture of the oocytes, sperm preparation, assisted hatching if needed, embryo preparation for transfer, embryo transfer, and post-treatment consult (done within 4 months of completed treatment).
Describe Bala Bhagavath's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I was pleased that my Dr. would transfer more than 1 embryo. I wanted the best chance at achieving a pregnancy. My Dr. explained all risks associated and in the end would consult with me and make an informed decision.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

Currently, I feel like a number at this clinic [Strong Fertility Center]. They don't like too many questions, and are hard to get a hold of, so I tend to have to MyChart, but then I was told they don't like this either, so I guess we're just supposed to accept whatever is told without questioning....I've had drugs not called in and very often the clinic forgot that I have insurance and would call the medications into the wrong place.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Currently, I feel like a number at this clinic. They don't like too many questions, and are hard to get a hold of, so I tend to have to MyChart, but then I was told they don't like this either, so I guess we're just supposed to accept whatever is told without questioning.
Dr. Vitek made it very clear that she is in research and clinic, so only 1/2 of her time is meant to be with the clinic. It was very difficult to get a hold of her.
The nurses seem to most often call at the end of the day (I know that this is because they are busy, but maybe the clinic should look at staffing for this), if you miss a call, you're forced to respond via MyChart.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek is very hard to get a hold of, and even in our last meeting, she said "I'm sorry that my availability impacted your care." She also said that my use of MyChart was driving the staff crazy and making it hard for them to be on my team, but no one was calling me back. She also blamed a lot of the issues we were having on my anxiety, which I never experienced with my other doctor. Overall, I feel like maybe she would be best behind the scenes, and not taking on direct patients, just doing research
She is too busy to take you on as a patient, but you won't be told that until after a failed cycle when you have barely been able to get a hold of her the whole time.
She suggested that I have a saline ultrasound which showed nothing (but I still 100% agree with this, as if there was something going on, we would have caught it), then she had me do a "natural cycle" that included 5ish days of gonal and then ovidrel and pio shots. I really wish that, after 2 failed transfers, that she would have said that I needed to have an ERA, she only mentioned it in passing in our discussion.
Insurance covers some and I still have not seen all of my bills, so I cannot accurately assess this.
Describe Wendy Vitek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I wish she had said we needed to do an ERA before transferring 2 more embryos after two failed singleton attempts.
Rochester

I feel like the clinic [Strong Fertility] is a little disorganized and you have to be your own advocate....The nurses are nice, but don't call back until the very end of the day, so if you need an answer, MyChart seems to be better (though they apparently complain to the Doctors about the use of MyChart for questions, rather than taking the questions in MyChart and calling to discuss)... I have had results not told to me in what I consider a timely manner
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I feel like the clinic is a little disorganized and you have to be your own advocate. It was NOT like that before Dr. Masaba left on maternity though, so I feel as though I have fallen into the cracks with the other Doctors while she is gone, which i am not happy about. The front desk folks are nice. The nurses are nice, but don't call back until the very end of the day, so if you need an answer, MyChart seems to be better (though they apparently complain to the Doctors about the use of MyChart for questions, rather than taking the questions in MyChart and calling to discuss)
Dr. Masaba would call me whenever I was having an issue and we would talk it out, she is one of the kindest doctors that I have ever had exposure to
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle is very nice, and always answers my questions to the best of her knowledge. She missed my vein for my iv before my retrieval when I was already very nervous which still has me a little, eeeeek, though I understand that accidents happen. When I was first starting the nurses drawing blood (not michelle) were HORRENDOUS, but they must have gotten complaints because it has gotten so much better, and now the nurses drawing blood do a very nice job and are very kind.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr Masaba is wonderful, but I struggle with the other doctors at this practice, so it is hard that it's the luck of the draw for which one you get for a given procedure. Dr. Masaba is very warm and explains everything in detail. I'm counting down the days until she is back from maternity leave. She understands that I suffer form anxiety and her approach works perfectly with this
That most of the other doctors at the practice are not great. Dr. Vitek is very cold, Dr. Lewis is always at least 45 minutes late, Dr. Bala is rough. Dr Queenan was very friendly.
Dr. Masaba stimulated me for my egg retrieval resulting in 32 eggs, 29 of which were mature. This put us in a very good position for ICSI. The stim was with gonal F, menapur and we used cetrotide once we got to a certain point (OUCH) and then ovidrel to trigger. I was OHSS, so we could not do a fresh transfer, but this gave us a chance to do PGS. Before going on maternity leave, we did one transfer cycle which was not successful, and then she started me on a medicated cycle (patches and estrace with progesterone) this resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Our insurance paid for some, so I cannot give an accurate response to this.
2 failed attempts with a single, before going to 2 embryos
Rochester

Like many clinics, the wait time to get seen initially [at Strong Fertility] can be pretty long. I waited 3-4 months for an appointment...Once I was in, though, everything was much easier and faster. They have options for communicating online or by phone, which works really well for me in terms of coordinating medication ordering during the weekdays. The staff often knows who I am and greets me, which is nice.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Like many clinics, the wait time to get seen initially can be pretty long. I waited 3-4 months for an appointment, and was seen by another dr and started some of my initial testing in the meantime, which helped me get started right away when I did get seen. Once I was in, though, everything was much easier and faster. They have options for communicating online or by phone, which works really well for me in terms of coordinating medication ordering during the weekdays. The staff often knows who I am and greets me, which is nice. They are super efficient, which was a little jolting when I was new, as they move quickly and sometimes assume you know where to go or what to do, so I'd recommend being really clear that it's your first appointment or asking what you should do (for example, at my first baseline appointment I didn't know they'd be doing a vaginal ultrasound and needed to get undressed--I think I assumed it would be the tummy kind since I had my period. The nurse just walked me in and said the PA would be in shortly, and when she came in she had to explain). But once I was doing a few cycles I really appreciated how efficient they were because my appointments went quickly, for the most part.
Dr. Vitek is very forthcoming about processes, options, and potential outcomes. She is also kind and easy to talk to. On multiple occasions she's altered my protocol to make me more comfortable or to make the process easier for me, which I greatly appreciated. I wasn't just a number that was taking medications, I was a human who needed to be able to live life while going through the treatment.
Overall, I like the nursing staff very much. Especially in person, they are caring and competent. The only times I have had any communication difficulties was over the phone when the nurse was communicating something that I needed more specifics on, such as when a cycle was cancelled, or information about whether retrieved eggs fertilized.
Dr. Vitek is super knowledgeable. I'm someone who likes to know about the research and the purpose behind every medication and procedure, and she's always excited to explain things--even pulling up diagrams and pictures on the computer to illustrate different concepts. I've never felt rushed while talking to her, and she also always includes my husband in discussions and checks in with him about questions and concerns.
Like with any doctor, come prepared with questions and write down her answers. Sometimes we would talk through a few different possible options, so reviewing the plan at the end of any appointment was really helpful for me.
Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we went right to combining clomid and injectables. Unfortunately, my first IUI was cancelled because my LH surged too early. Once we knew that I'd ovulate really easily, though, Dr. Vitek was vigilant in making sure my estrogen and LH were monitored closely and that I started an antagonist early. We used that same protocol for a few cycles, but switched to letrozole as my lining didn't develop very nicely and I ended up with a few cysts after one or two cycles. Then I asked to try injectables only, which we did with Follistim, and then I asked to try Gonal F, as I knew women in another clinic often used and thought it was worth trying. I had a much better response to Gonal, and after about 5 or 6 IUIs I was thinking of IVF and asked Dr. Vitek if I could try Menopur to see what my reaction would be. I had my best cycle with Gonal & Menopur (300/150) and got a record of 4 follicles. Unfortunately, we weren't financially ready for IVF, so we just did IUI and got a negative. Once we had done about 8-9 months of IUI, it was nearing the end of the year and we switched insurance in the new year that would give us IVF coverage. We started with pretty much the same protocol as my IUI but my ovaries didn't respond, which was a surprise. We took a much more aggressive approach, in the second try, and Dr. Vitek strongly suggested a duostim, which she said had been successful with other 'poor responders'. She shared some research articles that went over the protocol. I primed with birth control and testosterone gel, and then went into using stim meds along with a steroid, dexamethasone. My first retrieval we got 3 eggs and 2 fertilized, and at my second retrieval we got 2 eggs and 1 fertilized. I went right into another stim as I had recovered quickly from the first two retrievals, but we tried a 'mini stim' with letrozole and then Gonal, but even though I grew two follicles, one wasn't mature and the other didn't fertilize. I kept going on the duostim, but had a large lead follicle and some smaller ones that didn't have time to catch up, and the one retrieved wasn't mature. I took a few cycles off and tried a transfer cycle which got cancelled because I ovulated through the Estrace. Now we are trying a more natural transfer cycle but with stim meds and an antagonist. I should transfer within 10 days!
I'm very lucky to have good insurance. My main costs were copays ($40) and then medications (~75/cycle). I switched over to another insurance that covers all my fertility treatment costs (the Empire Plan--work for NYS!), and the medication was covered separately, so I still had that cost. From my understanding, the costs are similar to other fertility clinics, and they do publish them on their website, which is helpful.
Because I will be transferring 3 day embryos, my doctor recommended transfering 2. She said we could go either way but did say our success rate goes up with 2.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
During my diagnostic [with Dr. Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility], we discovered I have trouble with follicle growth and ovulating on my own. So we started with a plan of clomid, trigger shot, and IUI. Before we started my first cycle I did a lot of research on clomid with PCOS patients. Many end up switching to Letrezole anyway. When I questioned why she didn’t put me on Letezole first- she ended up deciding to switch my plan. Both accomplish the same goal and have similar side effects. She saw no medical reason not to switch it, and I’ve been responding well. I’ve had follicle growth on both medicated cycles.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong Fertility has very kind and organized staff. They are knowledgeable and always follow up same day with blood results and questions. I feel that my doctor and nurses really know wht they are doing, and o eat the fee that they try to help as many people as possible.
Erin takes the time to message you back when the answer requires explanation. When you’re in a consultation with her, she does not rush you and never looks at the clock. She is straight forward but takes the time to check in emotionally. She gives her opion and proffered plan, but opens it up to changes if that’s what make me comfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
The nursing staff is extremely well organized and caring, despite a very busy schedule. Although they have to keep moving through patients, they do take the time is you have extra questions or concerns.
Again, she is straight forward, very smart, and explains everything. She shares her experiences and give her best course of action. She is open to questions and is willing to make changes if needed/requested.
Use the MyChart app, but try to ask all you questions in one shot. She is great about taking time to answer your questions, but it’s hard on the doctors to have a ton of back and forth. She’s very friendly and very knowledgeable. I’ve never had a doctor more receptive to questioning her plan of action. She’s ready with a great explanation, and is willing to adjust things accordingly. She is not dismissive.
During my diagnostic, we discovered I have trouble with follicle growth and ovulating on my own. So we started with a plan of clomid, trigger shot, and IUI. Before we started my first cycle I did a lot of research on clomid with PCOS patients. Many end up switching to Letrezole anyway. When I questioned why she didn’t put me on Letezole first- she ended up deciding to switch my plan. Both accomplish the same goal and have similar side effects. She saw no medical reason not to switch it, and I’ve been responding well. I’ve had follicle growth on both medicated cycles.
Rochester

The clinic [Univ of Rochester/Strong] is very honest with you about treatment working for you or not, they won't take just anybody because they don't feel its right to take your money and get your hopes up if they do not see it working for you. The book up fast so be patient. But they are one of the best hospitals out there and have been a much better clinic than our last one so far and we have only just begun,
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic is very honest with you about treatment working for you or not, they won't take just anybody because they don't feel its right to take your money and get your hopes up if they do not see it working for you. The book up fast so be patient. But they are one of the best hospitals out there and have been a much better clinic than our last one so far and we have only just begun,
I have only just started my care with Dr. Masaba, but so far she has been 10x better than the last clinic we were at where we had 2 unsuccessful IVFs. To start with she was very forward with us and said she wouldn't make a plan for us unless she diagnosed both of us, I was fine, my husband was infertile which we already knew going into it. But the last Dr never sent my husband to a urologist they just said his count and everything is low you need to go through IVF. But Dr. Masaba sent him to a Dr to get more answers and said she wanted to know everything before we went through IVF again to make it successful. She sat with my for over an hour for our consultation and answered all of my questions without making me feel rushed, and she continues to answer questions whenever I have them right away.
I have only had one ultrasound visit so far, but the nurse was very polite and professional.
She has been very straight forward and honest about everything. She has answered all my questions no matter how many I had or how stupid they sounded. I love that the clinic strictly goes off proven research and she doesn't believe in doing anything if it "might" help, only if research has proven for it to help the procedure.
Be patient. She doesn't like to rush things and takes it step by step, and she books up fast so that could put you behind on your timing as well. It will be worth it, but be patient.
I have not completely started treatment yet, but I have had my consultation and baseline with her, and my husband has seen his Dr. We are going to go through IVF with Dr. Masaba and she has explained the procedure to me. I will start a month on birth control, take stim meds for retrieval and then hopefully do a fresh transfer, if not freeze and transfer the following month.
There are many different packages that the clinic offers but we went with a package for $6800 for one retrieval and 2 transfers. And then the cost of meds.
She is very confident in eSET, but if you ask to do 2 she will tell you the risk and let you make the decision, but will not do more than 2 under the age of 35.
Rochester

Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them [at Strong Fertility] is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care... We did 8 rounds of IVF. 2 were in clomid and the rest were Gonal F at 76-150 units. For our IVF cycles we used Gonal F at 150, Ganirellix and Menopur at 75 units. Our frozen transfer we did a natural cycle.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care.
She always takes the time to answer my questions and calls me back immediately. She’s incredible
The nurses are my favorite, they know me by name and feel like family!
Dr. Masaba is the newest doctor at the practice, but she is so educated and makes me feel like she truly understands and knows what I’m going through. When I went to switch to a different clinic after over a year and two failed IVF cycles, the other clinic made ne nervous and I didn’t feel a connection, they also pushed surgeries that I feel they push on everyone...the care seemed cookie cutter not taylored to my needs. After feeling unsure I called Dr. Masaba and asked her opinion in surgery. She came into the iffyearly to oerform an HSG test and took the time to fully explain why she disagruwith surgery...I felt confident when I left her. Dr. Masaba’s practice is more expensive than this other clinic, but after that visit I switched back to Dr. Masaba for my 3rd cycle of IVF.
Don’t let her age and newness fool you, she is amazing!
IUI was covered by insurance. My deductible was $2000. IVF with my current cycle is $12,000 plus the cost of meds
Rochester

I have really liked all the staff at the office.... Debra Werzinger is the PA who I saw the most, especially for the ultrasound monitoring and she is terrific. Very warm and carefully explained everything I wanted to know and even things I didn't ask about.... My IUIs were done by a nurse and a physician (on the weekend, a physician does them) and they were both very knowledgable, relaxed, and took me through the process by explaining everything that was happening.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I've described a lot of strengths in talking about the staff. I appreciate that even if I see a different PA, nurse, or physician I feel like they are all working well as a team. The office feels like it works like clockwork. My appointments all begin on time or only a few minutes after the stated appointment time - crucial when you are trying to fit a lot of appointments in and explain them to a boss who you don't want to discuss your attempts to conceive with until you are successful. I was a little caught off guard when a nurse contacted me to let me know that because I was using donor sperm I would need to talk to a counselor. It was the only thing I wasn't very happy with about the office. It made me feel somewhat singled out because I'm trying to conceive in a less traditional fashion. I knew I would do whatever I needed to though, so I went to the appointment. The counselor was very nice and acknowledged, without prompting, that the appt might seem a little unfair to me. We talked about it a bit and I felt better. I also appreciated that some patients might not have thought through everything as obsessively as me (!) and really need an appt to help them make some plans. I was feeling good about my plans as we walked through my decisions and talked about future plans. All in all, I was fine with the appt, but wished I had a bit more heads up about it.
When I met with Dr. Vitek she had a great, warm bedside manner. She listened to me when I explained my case - that I wanted to be a single mother by choice - and had a plan ready that we could use to move forward. She had clearly already done her research on my referral and even had a report from my appt with a high risk OB that detailed treatment suggestions while trying to conceive and if I did get pregnant, which she shared with me. I wanted a more aggressive plan than my OB had given me (not the high-risk one, the regular one) and she was on board with sensible solutions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Debra Werzinger, PA)
I have really liked all the staff at the office. Initially I was a little put off my one of the nurses who does both the intake (blood pressure, weight, etc.) and draws blood for each appointment. She seemed so business-like that it bordered on being cold. However, after a few appointments, I found that she was a little more relaxed and she even joked around a bit. I think she's just so busy that sometimes that side of her personality doesn't shine through. Debra Werzinger is the PA who I saw the most, especially for the ultrasound monitoring and she is terrific. Very warm and carefully explained everything I wanted to know and even things I didn't ask about. Her positivity is infectious - though she does present a realistic picture of what is going on (she's not trying to overstate things that are going well). My IUIs were done by a nurse and a physician (on the weekend, a physician does them) and they were both very knowledgable, relaxed, and took me through the process by explaining everything that was happening.
I honestly didn't find any weaknesses, but I also only met with her once. Though she did reassure me during that appointment that even if I didn't see her during visits, she was behind the scenes managing my care and making decisions. And so far that has been true. NPs that I have seen and asked questions of have relayed information from her regularly. I certainly feel comfortable that if I wanted to meet with her again, she would be fine with that. In fact, if I'm not pregnant after my current cycle, we will meet again and decide on next steps.
Make Dr. Vitek aware of your concerns or apprehensions about the process. If you need any accommodations made, let her know. In my experience, all of my concerns were addressed and if I needed assistance with anything, it was provided. She was happy to answer questions, even when I felt like they might be silly. She was more than willing to be very detailed in her answers, which I really appreciated.
I had bloodwork and an HSG done in the cycle right before my appointment with Dr. Vitek. Based on that information, which included a very low AMH and a higher than normal FSH, and my stated desire to use some kind of fertility drugs to help the process, she suggested using Gonal F with follicle monitoring via ultrasound. Then, when the ultrasound showed one or more good follicles were nearly developed, I triggered ovulation with Ovidrel. She discussed all the possible side effects, including the possibility of multiples. After the IUI was performed, I used Crinone progesterone gel to assist with the possible pregnancy. Though I didn't get pregnant that time, I felt great about the process and had three follicles develop. I'm in the midst of the second round doing the same protocol - I just did the second medicated IUI today. Since it will be my 4th IUI overall, we will meet and reevaluate to see if we are doing the best protocol for me if I do not get pregnant.
My insurance covers IUIs and any associated procedures like ultrasound and medications, like the Gonal F and Ovidrel. Consequently, I was only required to pay my specialist copay ($25) for appointments and $175 copay for all of the medications. Since I was using donor sperm, I also paid about $850/IUI as that is NOT covered. That cost was not paid to Dr. Vitek's office as I used an outside donor sperm bank.
Rochester

They [the nurses at Strong Fertility Center- Rochester] explained everything they saw on ultrasound. They were kind and personable. Even when I have come back since achieving pregnancy they are all very nice and excited for us, tell us to send pics when the babies are born, etc.... When we went in for insemination they did an ultrasound and told me there were two mature follicles meaning a possibility of twins and asked if we were ok with that possibility. If we were not ok with that, they would not have done IUI that day and we would have waited until the next cycle. We decided to go forward because even with two eggs there is a possibility that one or even none will be fertilized.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Adam Griffin at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Everything was explained to us, every question answered, we never felt rushed. We were given choices.
They explained everything they saw on ultrasound. They were kind and personable. Even when I have come back since achieving pregnancy they are all very nice and excited for us, tell us to send pics when the babies are born, etc.
How was your experience with Adam Griffin at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Griffin explained everything to us including how fertility treatment works in the body (i took Femera and had IUI in the same cycle) He explained risks and benefits. The only thing I didn’t agree with is that he said with sperm donor, some couples choose not to tell their child(ren) and some do and that “either way it works out” which is not really true according to research. So I wish there had been more attention paid to the social-emotional part of going into the decision. Luckily I’m a therapist so I could mostly navigate that but I think for other patients there should be more counseling/education/discussion around that.
Describe the protocols Adam Griffin used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
First it was determined through blood test that I have slight hypothyroid so in order to give us the best chances at chirping pregnancy I began Synthroid for a few months and my levels were monitored. After determining male factor infertility and we decided to use donor sperm, we were given three options - 1) track my cycle and use ovulation/LH surge monitoring and inseminate. 2) That plus femara to increase egg production. 3) 1+2+ injection. We decided to go for option 2. When we went in for insemination they did an ultrasound and told me there were two mature follicles meaning a possibility of twins and asked if we were ok with that possibility. If we were not ok with that, they would not have done IUI that day and we would have waited until the next cycle. We decided to go forward because even with two eggs there is a possibility that one or even none will be fertilized. Our first cycle produced twins! I am 33 weeks along and they have been very healthy so far!
Adam Griffin

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Adam Griffin at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

The clinic [Strong Fertility Center] was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.... After my appointments the nurse would come in and explain things again which was nice. They do have a phlebotomist there who is horrible. She insisted I had terrible veins and took my blood from my hand. And every time I had blood drawn from her it was very painful. I’ve never had any issues with having my blood drawn before I met her.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He didn’t seem to take my husband and I seriously since we were so young. He kept saying “well you’re young... etc.”
How was your experience with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
After my HSG showed inconclusive results he refused to listen to me and the dr that performed the test. He saw what he wanted to see and he pushed for expensive treatments that weren’t needed. When we refused and asked for other options/tests he refused to help us further.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
If you’re a text book case and everything goes to plan he will probably be great. But when something isn’t quite text book he doesn’t seem to know what to do. Everything is by the book and he refuses to offer anything outside the box.
Describe the protocols John Queenan used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
My Fallopian tube spasmd during my HSG and the Dr that preformed it told him that, but Dr. Queenan refused to listen. He said I needed another HSG, and a tubal cannulation, and after that he wanted to do Femara, with trigger shot, and IUI even though my husband has perfect sperm. We said we couldn’t afford it (the HSG alone was $300+) and I asked if we could try Femara alone. He became very irritated and said no.

2014 - 2017
One of my frozen embryo transfers [at Strong Fertility] was canceled due to a bad response to the medications. My body stopped responding to the meds so they decided to cancel the protocol and start over with a different drug. Somehow my canceled transfer never got relayed to the lab and the embryologist accidentally thawed the embryo I had originally planned on transferring. My doctor called me with this news and explained what happened and told me this had never happened before and they were able to re-freeze the embryo and he was 99% sure it was fine. I ended up deciding to transfer that embryo and another one for my next transfer and only one stuck. I’ll never know if it was because one was frozen twice and thawed by accident.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strength: usually timely, never had to wait too long to be seen, not overbooked. Detailed plans, happy to answer any questions and provide more information. Weakness: could be slightly more organized but not a big weakness of theirs.
Personal phone calls from my doctor with good or bad news. Always responsive to my emails with questions. Took the time during appointments to answer questions and explain everything to me.
Most were good communicators and able to work with last minute scheduling conflicts since you’re needing to be seen almost daily but don’t know exactly when until you are seen. Good with follow up calls and detailed information with your results and next steps.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
I loved working with Dr B. He thoroughly explained every step and our chances of conceiving and was open and honest if he didn’t think something had a good chance of working if we wanted to try it anyways. He seemed invested in his patients and was happy for their success and disappointed if something turned out negatively.
Trust the process.
With having PCOS, I had to stim slow and steady to avoid “frying” my eggs. I produced a lot of eggs during my IVF egg retrieval but not all were good quality, which is to be expected with PCOS. He recommended we do ICSI since my husband also had low sperm count and low motility. All of our 24 mature eggs fertilized and by day 5 we only had 5 embryos to freeze. We had to do a “freeze all” because my progesterone shot up and Dr B explained how that could increase any risk if I did get pregnant from a transfer. So we let my body and hormones get a rest and prepared for a frozen embryo transfer. I had thin lining issues and my first transfer got pushed back about 5 days due to an increase of estrogen and it ended up working out last minute.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Quick, efficient and detailed.
We were very fortunate and had some insurance coverage. We still had to pay thousands of dollars but it could have been worse.
He recommended we transfer one embryo at a time. We did not listen to his advice and of the two transfers we did, we transferred 4 embryos (2 each time) and both times had a singleton pregnancy.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Receptionists [at Strong Fertility Center] are amazing, most nurses are too. Doctors are really nice. The clinic is nice. Overall a great experience... Most of the nurses are absolutely spectacular. A couple are far from that. One who primarily does blood draws is always rushing and dropping stuff. She comes off as rude and can never draw my blood. I leave with several pricks and brushing all over my arms and hands. One other nurse is nice but lacks social skills. She talks in circles and honestly drives me insane. The rest are phenomenal
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Receptionists are amazing, most nurses are too. Doctors are really nice. The clinic is nice. Overall a great experience
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Everyone has always been sensitive to my needs, shown empathy
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
How was your experience with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She is incredibly knowledable, always one step ahead and ready to answer whatever questions I had. I feel very cared for and like she is honest without being rude. I wish her schedule wasn't so busy and I could get in for consultations more quickly though.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Let her take the lead. Don't stress too much about what ifs and what's next. She tells you what you need to know when you need to know it
Describe the protocols Kathleen Hoeger used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Started with clomid and ovidrel to help me grow eggs and ovulate, combined with IUIs cycles to maximize the chances of conception. No success so moved on to injectables. More eggs and better quality. I also take steroids. Diagnosed with congenital adrenal hyperplasia and the steroids power my androgen levels. Steroids also reduce risk of miscarriage. I take endometrin 3 x day to lengthen my cycle to increase chances of implantation. Recurrent miscarriage led to testing and found I have blood clotting disorder so I also take lovenox shots for an anticoagulant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I have a $40 copay for every visit. I do not know pre insurance costs
Kathleen Hoeger
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

2013 - 2014
I only saw Dr Vitek at my initial consultation and then the consultation after my miscarriage. She was not present at any of the dozens of monitoring appointments or IUIs. The nurses were nice but never looked at my case as more than just another appointment to get through. I felt like they were just following some sort of normal protocol instead of really looking at my case and making adjustments that were tailored to me.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They need to treat each case individually with its own course of action and not follow some general protocol and just "wait and see". You will need to be your own medical advocate since no one at this clinic will be.
They were all very lovely but couldn't speak much on my case without consulting the doctor so I didn't get very far with them.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She had a good beside manner and was very knowledgable but I never interacted enough to really get the feel like she cared about me as her patient. I felt like just another number and don't feel that she really spent much time on my case.
Go somewhere else
We started with a non-medicated IUI - negative. Then we went to clomid for the next IUI - negative. Then we did higher doses of clomid for three more cycles - negative. My body was responding well to the drugs but I just was not getting pregnant. Then we tried letrozol and got a positive but I had a miscarriage of twins at 8 weeks. We tried Letrozol again and got a negative. Then Clomid again and got a negative and then I moved on to a new clinic and got pregnant off my first IVF.
I paid for sperm out of pocket. I paid for the monitoring, IUIs and medications through my insurance so I only paid copays.

2016 - 2019
The positives is that it can be successful which I think is the main goal (myself and people I know have had children thanks to them [Strong Fertility Center]). Negative is that it’s very busy and rushed at times. I feel like it’s not personal treatment plans that it’s very direct this is what happens no matter what the situation.... Nurse Deb worzinger was so great in communicating what was to expect and having compassion with patients... Dr massaba has good bedside manner but also understands
2016 - 2019
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The positives is that it can be successful which I think is the main goal (myself and people I know have had children thanks to them). Negative is that it’s very busy and rushed at times. I feel like it’s not personal treatment plans that it’s very direct this is what happens no matter what the situation.
Dr massaba has good bedside manner but also understands the toll emotionally and financially infertility takes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Deb worzinger)
Although she was nice when I was her, I seldom saw her other than the consultations and when I actually got pregnant. I will say she is understanding when it comes to the emotional and financial toll infertility can take on a couple.
Don’t expect to see her often but the nurses were incredibly nice
At first we did just chlomid then switched to letrizole and intercourse. I got pregnant but miscarried and after that appointment I stated I wanted to do iui instead and I thankfully got pregnant my first iui and had a healthy baby girl. I came back for hopefully a second try and immediately started with iui and did 5 with no success. Started with injections and still no success
Thankfully my insurance covers infertility iui treatments so I paid a $40 copay every visit

Endometriosis, PCOS
The staff at Strong Fertility Center is truly amazing. They make every effort to keep you informed. Some of the staff even went above and beyond to help sort out a medication prescription issue with my pharmacy. They answer any and all questions without making me feel silly. They make me comfortable that I am in the right hands....They are on top of everything. I am always well informed of appointments, procedures and medications. They work tirelessly to help on this journey to hopefully become a parent. They are professional and really caring.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr.B always reviewed my case thoroughly and made sure to give me all my options. He does not leave out details that might be scary as he wants me to be fully informed.
He is very up front about what he thinks is the best course of action and explains why. I had laparoscopic surgery to remove endometriosis and provided all the risks and reasons why it was advised. He does talk a little fast sometimes but if I ask him to repeat it’s not a problem.
Keep an open mind and trust that he has your best interest at heart.
I underwent laparoscopic surgery twice (one exploratory) for endometriosis. It was done to improve my chances of conceiving and worked once. He upped my dose of letrozole when needed and it produced great follicles.
The most costly thing was my surgeries. Most of the procedures/labs/office visits were covered by insurance.
Rochester

The facility [Strong Fertility] itself is very nice and warming. It helped make me be not so nervous. The doctors and nurses are very nice and caring. At times, I had to push the nurse to change a med that was a little cheaper but they will try different options to help you out....An IUI at their clinic, with a discount, costed me $288 out of pocket... you communicate more with the nurses than the doctor at times. The nurses are good at communicating and getting back to you but usually only call at the end of the day.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The facility itself is very nice and warming. It helped make me be not so nervous. The doctors and nurses are very nice and caring. At times, I had to push the nurse to change a med that was a little cheaper but they will try different options to help you out.
At this office, you communicate more with the nurses than the doctor at times. The nurses are good at communicating and getting back to you but usually only call at the end of the day. This is fine, but it would be nice for them to explain that to me in the beginning. I figured it out a few weeks into treatment when finally one of the nurses said they do their calls at the end of the day when their phones are turned off. Some of them do IUIs. When I had mine done, it was done by a nurse, not a doctor. The nurses that I have dealt with this far have been great and knowledgeable.
She is very understanding. She allowed me to do appointments over the phone as I live 2 hours away from their office. Dr.Masaba is very compassionate and is willing to answer any and all questions that I have.
I have had 4 IUIs since being under her treatment. We have only changed my meds once. I am not sure if anything should have been changed. I’m trusting her and her decisions.
An IUI at their clinic, with a discount, costed me $288 out of pocket

4 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The staff [Strong Fertility] is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care. This was especially important for us as our previous fertility clinic did not always do this. They make time to answer our questions and make us feel like people are valued and not just a number. They are very knowledgeable and professional.... Weakness would be getting to talk to a nurse via phone within the house of leaving a message. There are so many strengths!!!!
4 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Weakness would be getting to talk to a nurse via phone within the house of leaving a message. There are so many strengths!!!! Open schedules to help make an appointment, refreshments in the waiting room, clean atmosphere, entire clinic shares the responsibility of keeping our Information confidential and private.
Like a human, calling me by name and talking about my specific details and future plans.
The staff is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care. This was especially important for us as our previous fertility clinic did not always do this. They make time to answer our questions and make us feel like people are valued and not just a number. They are very knowledgeable and professional.
She was specific, detailed and explained the various options but still left us knowing we were making our own decisions. Thorough while taking our history since we have been trying for over 5 years before changing to this new practice. We are hopeful and excited to try out IVF this coming summer.
Be open and honest. Share all of your thoughts.
Insurance covers everything except 10 dollar copay until we get to IVF.

3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Strong [Fertility Center] is the best of the best when it comes to their facility and latest technology. However, they did not do a good job communicating costs. For example I was told a round of IVF would be covered under my insurance. I ended up paying close to 10k out of pocket which was not expected. ... The nurses felt like family to me. They were SO kind and compassionate.
Investor
3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong is the best of the best when it comes to their facility and latest technology. However, they did not do a good job communicating costs. For example I was told a round of IVF would be covered under my insurance. I ended up paying close to 10k out of pocket which was not expected.
I felt Dr. Vitek genuinely cared about me
The nurses felt like family to me. They were SO kind and compassionate.
Dr. Vitek is very knowledgeable and compassionate although I feel she could have been more direct. For example I didn’t realize how low my AMH was and how it could impact getting pregnant. I saw in Dr. Vitek’s notes later on that she recommended being aggressive given my low AMH but she never expressed this concern with me directly. However I would still recommend Dr. Vitek.
Ask blunt questions
We did two rounds of clomid then because my AMH was low Dr. Vitek rexommened jumping into IVF which I agreed with.
I had insurance that covered some of the costs of clomid and IVF fresh transfer but I ended up paying 10k out of pocket
Rochester

Strong Infertility was a wonderful clinic for me. I am currently taking a break from treatment but plan to continue with them when I start again. The environment was comfortable, clean and calming. I felt a decrease in anxiety and stress when transferring my treatment to this team...The staff at Strong Infertility was efficient, organized and compassionate. My nursing time took an incredible amount of time to walk me through the process and ensure that I knew all of the steps and procedures.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Vitek was very warm, supportive and personable. She engaged and communicated gently and effectively with my significant other and I.
Dr. Vitek made me feel comfortable, safe and secure during the procedure. She modified my treatment plan as I was visiting from out of state for the summer and was willing to work with me in any and all ways. She was gentle and kind throughout.
Ask questions and do your research as you should during this process with any RE.
I used Clomid 50mg to increase egg production and timed IUI. All of my tests are normal therefore the protocol was basic. I was not successful this cycle.
IUI was approximately 400 with sperm isolation. Consultation was approximatelly 100.
I did not use this method.
Rochester

They [nurses at Strong Fertility Center] were nice and professional...We spent $4000 on PGS...They [staff] are very knowledgeable, and they care about their patients. However, I feel like sometimes they are too confident, and tend not to listen to their patients. I was a textbook case, so I had a success with their treatment. However, sometimes I wonder if they believed what I said (I told them I had implantation issues, and they did not believe), and fixed my implantation issues, if we still needed IVF which is stressful and painful.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They are very knowledgeable, and they care about their patients. However, I feel like sometimes they are too confident, and tend not to listen to their patients. I was a textbook case, so I had a success with their treatment. However, sometimes I wonder if they believed what I said (I told them I had implantation issues, and they did not believe), and fixed my implantation issues, if we still needed IVF which is stressful and painful.
Dr. Queenan and the staff were quite friendly.
They were nice and professional.
Dr. Queenan is very knowledgeable. I trust him. However, he tends not to listen to his patents. For example, from the first appointment, I told him I thought I had implantation issues, because I had no problem of ovulation, and my cycle is very accurate. He did not listen to me, and suggested four cycles of IUI. They all failed. Then we went further with IVF, and before the procedure, they finally found I had polyps in my uterus. So my polyps were removed, and we had a successful pregnancy. I am not sure if they found the polyps at the first time, if we would still need IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
We spent $4000 on PGS, and the insurance covered the other cost. We are lucky to have good insurance.
Describe John Queenan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Queenan highly recommended eSET. We did PGS, and transferred one single embryo. It was successful. I read some studies before eSET, and I believe this is the best option for us.
Rochester
They [nursing staff at Strong Fertility Center] are knowledgeable and efficient; however, they see so many individuals throughout the day they do seem rushed...My IVF cycle package cost $6500 (one egg retrieval and two transfers). I spent an extra $4500 on PGS testing and $4000 on medications. I also spent $1500 on FET medications...The clinic is extremely efficient. The downside is they see so many patients in one day it can be easy to feel like a number. They always called when they said they would and returned my calls within a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
He answered our questions as a doctor but also included his personal opinion when asked. He was responsive to our wants during our cycles as well.
They are knowledgeable and efficient; however, they see so many individuals throughout the day they do seem rushed.
He is knowledgeable and trustworthy. He is strong in his convictions related to fertility treatment but is open to hearing your thoughts and ideas. He has a calmness about him that benefits the clients he interacts with.
He will answer any question asked of him, just make sure you come with them ready to ask!
With unexplained infertility, we went with very “classic” treatment approaches using the least amount of medication possible. Dr Q is very conservative with his use of medications.
He very, very strongly believes is eSET. He warned us about the risks of transferring more than one embryo on multiple occasions. We are thankful we only transferred one embryo, as our one embryo split and we are having identical twins.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

[Strong Fertility Center- U of Rochester] Lost paperwork. Didn’t call in Rx. When is call to ask a question, no one knew what was going on. It could take 2 days to get a call back.... Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.... Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found. Not nearly aggressive enough in treatment. Missed glaringly obvious medical problems.
Personable
Disaster. List records. Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She listened, but didn’t explain much. I didn’t know how frequently I would be going in for tests or scans. She never suggested I might have endometriosis, which I did. A LOT of endometriosis. No e of the treatments i tried with her ever had a chance of working without endometriosis excision. I wasted 3 cycles and $3000 for treatment which never could have resulted in pregnancy due to endometriosis.
Ask who, what, where, when, why, and how for every single thing, and write everything down, including who you talked to, when, and what they said.
First and second d cycle: monitoring, no drugs, timed intercourse. Third cycle: monitoring, injectables, timed intercourse.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The intake nurses [at Strong Fertility Center in Rochester] can be very gruff, they rarely introduce themselves. The paperwork is confusing and uses medical lingo. You have to ask them to use lay language sometimes....paid out of pocket for donor eggs $10k. Remaining IVF procedures covered under insurance....He's [Dr. John Queenan] pretty good about introducing himself, tries to be conversational and resorts to a jokey humor that is distratcting. His procedures tend to be more painful than with other doctors. That is to say I think he could be more gentle.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The intake nurses can be very gruff, they rarely introduce themselves. The paperwork is confusing and uses medical lingo. You have to ask them to use lay language sometimes.
He seems to care. He's super busy and seems a bit ditzy though.
The care structure isn't clear at the beginning. It is confusing to figure out with whom you should speak with.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He's pretty good about introducing himself, tries to be conversational and resorts to a jokey humor that is distratcting. His procedures tend to be more painful than with other doctors. That is to say I think he could be more gentle.
He has a big personality - it can be distracting.
Did a couple cycles because the first batch of donor eggs was a failure. They required a mock cycle to get the treatment right. Resulted in adding a thyroid medication for the real cycle. They always claimed they had to follow the protocols required by the egg bank which made me think they sometimes couldn't change things even if they wanted to.
Paid out of pocket for donor eggs $10k. Remaining IVF procedures covered under insurance.

IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Strong Fertility Center] offers free support groups and counseling with LMHC. It is centrally located. Front end staff are very pleasant and kind. Nurse Practitioners also very helpful ... She [nurse] is very organized and explains everything in great detail. She demonstrates compassion and understanding on this difficulty Journey ... An option [eset] is not provided and we were told one would be inserted
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
There was a Reasonable wait time to get an initial consult. The clinic offers free support groups and counseling with LMHC. It is centrally located. Front end staff are very pleasant and kind. Nurse Practitioners also very helpful
Physician stated he has lots of patients and therefore could not remember who we are or our story was.
She is very organized and explains everything in great detail. She demonstrates compassion and understanding on this difficulty Journey
Bedside manner is quirky. Makes it evident he is insecure to be asked questions by patients. Condescending tone when questions asked. As he stated “ I like to hear my own voice, you just listen”. This was very off putting.
He is a good fit if you prefer a hierarchical physician- patient relationship
Plan for Mock cycle. Then will do donor eggs— our choice of frozen from national bank or anonymous fresh donor from clinic.
22,000 inclusive for third party reproduction with donor eggs
An option is not provided and we were told one would be inserted

2010 - 2015
Dr Queenan is a great RE but if you don't fit into his plan he doesn't offer many alternatives. He basically gave up on us. After a few unsuccessful cycles he told me I needed a gestational carrier and that it would be too expensive for us.... I went to this practice [Strong Fertility Center] for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name..... Every time I did a cycle there were errors with my plan. One time I took the wrong dose of meds because it was wrong in my plan. One time my plan got mailed to the wrong address! They said I must have moved, which of course I didn't.
2010 - 2015
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Medically they do everything by the book. They don't think outside of the box. They are not accommodating or compassionate.
I went to this practice for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
They were terrible!!! Very unorganized, very rude! They made mistakes in my plan and never apologized. Their mistakes always ended up being my fault.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Don't waste your time at this office.
I can't remember exactly but I think it was $7500 for IVF and $3000 for FETs
Dr Q told me my chances were better with only one but we did two cycles with only one embryo and it was unsuccessful
Rochester

The nurses [at Strong Fertility Center- Univ of Rochester]were great and I always Felt well taken care of... There was a doctor who performed one of my ultrasounds that was very cold and I requested not to see him again. He was very discouraging and I cried The entire way home from this appointment. I do Not believe he should have access to other doctors patients with the attitude he has.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I never felt like a number. De. Masaba was great.
The nurses were great and I always Felt well taken care of
She was friendly and warm. She took time to answer all my questions and make me feel comfortable. I do wish I had seen her at more appointments. She did not perform my egg retrieval or transfer. After we started the IVF process I did not see her again.
Skip IUI and save money.