Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) to a friend?
View fewer doctors
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
My assigned nurse [at Strong Fertility Center] was an extremely nice and caring individual. With that said I had problems with her organization. She would make mistakes often; forgetting to send in prescriptions, forgetting to provide me with needed information or failing to complete things in a time sensitive matter...the other staff at the clinic always resolved it quickly and efficiently when told about these problems.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I was pleased with Strong fertility clinic as a whole. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The other doctors at the practice were always wonderful. I felt comfortable with every one of them. One thing that I find amazing about Strong is that once a week all of the doctors meet as a team about EVERY single patient who is doing an IVF cycle. The doctors go over all of the information about that patient and give their opinions about protocols and next steps. This made me feel like I was getting the best care I could possibly receive. The nurse practitioner was also amazing; fast and extremely knowledgeable. She would be able to put your mind at ease in a minute and would make sure you felt completely comfortable and have all your questions answered before she would leave the room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath always knew everything about me - my numbers , my issues, my past. He never showed up to an appointment without knowing what happened to me. He was blunt when it was needed but was a helpful ear as well. He always made me feel like he was trying everything he could to achieve a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Connie)
My assigned nurse was an extremely nice and caring individual. With that said I had problems with her organization. She would make mistakes often; forgetting to send in prescriptions, forgetting to provide me with needed information or failing to complete things in a time sensitive matter.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
How was your experience with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath was knowledgeable and organized. I only ever wanted a constant plan and backup plan, which he always provided. He would explain everything thoroughly and answered any question we may have had. I have heard that to others he may come off as too blunt or too realistic, but this is exactly what I wanted. I needed to know the reality of the situation and he would always explain without being too harsh. He was always consulting with other doctors trying to find the best course of action. I always trusted his opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath is extremely knowledgeable and will work hard to help you achieve a pregnancy.
Describe the protocols Bala Bhagavath used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
IUI Cycle - Injectables - Gonal to stimulate - the rationale for doing an IUI cycle with me was to see how I responded to injectables. IVF Cycle # 1 - Antagonist protocol - This protocol was used because even though I had a DOR during my IUI cycle I responded extremely well to the medicine. This cycle resulted in 14 eggs , 8 mature , 5 fertilized. 2 embryos were transferred on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 2 - Microdose flare protocol - This protocol was used because the previous cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. This cycle resulted in 11 eggs , 6 mature , 5 fertilized - freeze all cycle. 3 embryos were thawed and transferred a month later on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 3 - Antagonist protocol - This protocol was used because it resulted in a good number of eggs in my first cycle. This cycle resulted in 12 eggs , 7 mature , 6 fertilized. 3 embryos were transferred on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 4 - Antagonist protocol w, Human Growth Hormone - This protocol was used because poor egg quality was attributed to my previous failed IVF cycles. This cycle resulted in 14 eggs , 9 mature , 9 fertilized. 3 embryos were transferred on day 3. Positive pregnancy test - singleton ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
This clinic operates with IVF packages: (they let you start with one package and pay the difference between packages if your cycles result in failure) Packages Package 1 $6500 Includes 1 oocyte retrieval and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfers, or 2 frozen transfers). Package 2 $10,800 Includes 2 oocyte retrievals and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen). Package 3 $14,700 Includes 3 oocyte retrievals and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen). Services Included in Price Injection teaching visit, single trial transfer, office visits during the treatment cycle beginning with the baseline ultrasound, all ultrasounds for follicular monitoring, oocyte retrieval, surgery fees associated with oocyte retrieval, anesthesia associated with retrieval, intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), fertilization and culture of the oocytes, sperm preparation, assisted hatching if needed, embryo preparation for transfer, embryo transfer, and post-treatment consult (done within 4 months of completed treatment).
Describe Bala Bhagavath's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I was pleased that my Dr. would transfer more than 1 embryo. I wanted the best chance at achieving a pregnancy. My Dr. explained all risks associated and in the end would consult with me and make an informed decision.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
During my diagnostic [with Dr. Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility], we discovered I have trouble with follicle growth and ovulating on my own. So we started with a plan of clomid, trigger shot, and IUI. Before we started my first cycle I did a lot of research on clomid with PCOS patients. Many end up switching to Letrezole anyway. When I questioned why she didn’t put me on Letezole first- she ended up deciding to switch my plan. Both accomplish the same goal and have similar side effects. She saw no medical reason not to switch it, and I’ve been responding well. I’ve had follicle growth on both medicated cycles.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong Fertility has very kind and organized staff. They are knowledgeable and always follow up same day with blood results and questions. I feel that my doctor and nurses really know wht they are doing, and o eat the fee that they try to help as many people as possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Erin takes the time to message you back when the answer requires explanation. When you’re in a consultation with her, she does not rush you and never looks at the clock. She is straight forward but takes the time to check in emotionally. She gives her opion and proffered plan, but opens it up to changes if that’s what make me comfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
The nursing staff is extremely well organized and caring, despite a very busy schedule. Although they have to keep moving through patients, they do take the time is you have extra questions or concerns.
How was your experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Again, she is straight forward, very smart, and explains everything. She shares her experiences and give her best course of action. She is open to questions and is willing to make changes if needed/requested.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Use the MyChart app, but try to ask all you questions in one shot. She is great about taking time to answer your questions, but it’s hard on the doctors to have a ton of back and forth. She’s very friendly and very knowledgeable. I’ve never had a doctor more receptive to questioning her plan of action. She’s ready with a great explanation, and is willing to adjust things accordingly. She is not dismissive.
Describe the protocols Erin Masaba used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
During my diagnostic, we discovered I have trouble with follicle growth and ovulating on my own. So we started with a plan of clomid, trigger shot, and IUI. Before we started my first cycle I did a lot of research on clomid with PCOS patients. Many end up switching to Letrezole anyway. When I questioned why she didn’t put me on Letezole first- she ended up deciding to switch my plan. Both accomplish the same goal and have similar side effects. She saw no medical reason not to switch it, and I’ve been responding well. I’ve had follicle growth on both medicated cycles.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Although I'm happy with my doctor and nurse, I am extremely underwhelmed with Strong Fertility as a whole. There have been major missteps during every point of my treatment, costing me both money and precious fertility time. The front desk staff is very uninformed and there are a few staff members that are downright angry and rude. That said, they are conservative and practice evidence based medicine (even though it may mean they are not on the cutting edge). If you prefer science over the kitchen sink approach, then this clinic is likely a fit for you based on the choices in the area. I've left detailed comments on all of the missteps and errors that occurred so far during my treatment in another section of this review.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Masaba remembered all the details of my treatment, the specifics of what was going on with me each time I saw her, and recommended a new protocol she had just learned about during a conference because she felt I fit the required profile.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin)
Kaitlin is extremely sweet and a super caring person. She was meant to be an IVF nurse. She's completely genuine, friendly, and took a personal interest in me as a patient. I always felt comfortable talking to her about anything regarding my treatment. She is a bright point at Strong Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba is smart and straightforward, but also kind and warm. She has a positive attitude and a lot of energy. She cares about her patients and is willing to explain things in detail. She's returned my calls during off hours and has never hesitated to help. She gets excited about your treatment and each small success. She's also down to earth and very real, not pretentious in any way.
Dr. Masaba talks quickly and is very energetic. I absolutely love that type of personality as it matches my own pace, but some people may prefer a doctor with slower and steadier style. While Dr. Masaba is extremely smart, to the point, and very enthusiastic, she sometimes struggles with details and organization. As long as you self-advocate and stay up on your treatment details (which I'm finding to be an absolute necessity as an IVF patient), you should be fine.
Estrogen Priming Protocol for DOR with Duostim I have diminished ovarian reserve from multiple surgeries for endometriosis. Dr. Masaba wanted to try IUI first to see how I would respond to meds before proceeding with IVF. IUI is covered by my insurance whereas IVF is not, so I thought this was a good idea before deciding to invest a large amount of money. My antral follicle count had been very low during monitoring - around 2 or 3 during two different baseline ultrasounds. Once it was confirmed that I was responding to meds during my IUI cycle (albeit poorly), Dr. Masaba recommended estrogen priming in conjunction with IVF to increase my follicle production. My antral follicle count went up to 13 and 15 respectively during the two cycles I've done with estrogen priming, so it did help. The first cycle produced 3 follicles. It was less than hoped for, but the cycle was ultimately canceled because the trigger shot failed and converted to an IUI. No pregnancy. The second cycle was a freeze all duostim. The plan was to stim, retrieve, and then stim again 5 days later in the same cycle month to capitalize on all the antral follicles from the priming. The first retrieval in the duostim resulted in 3 follices, with 2 mature eggs. Both fertilized. The second retrieval in the duostim resulted in 7 follicles, 5 mature eggs retrieved, and 5 fertilized. After the duostim, I had a frozen embryo transfer of two high quality 8 cell embryos on day 3. We had one embryo make it to blastocyst on day 6 so that is currently frozen. I did not get pregnant from the transfer. I'm proceeding with another duostim with estrogen priming this month, as Dr. Masaba recommended stimming again instead of doing a second transfer since I hope to have multiple children and am almost 36 years old.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
At the time of my treatment, this was the pricing scheme: Package 1. $6500 - Includes one fresh IVF cycle and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfer, or 2 frozen transfers) Package 2. $10,800 - Includes 2 fresh IVF cycles and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen) Package 3. $14,700 - Includes 3 fresh IVF cycles and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen) I started with package 1, moved to package 2, and will be continuing with package 3. My medication costs per cycle were around $4000-5000 (would have be $9-10,000 if I hadn't ordered overseas).
Describe Erin Masaba's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Masaba strongly recommended eSET and warned against the complications of multiples. Ultimately I signed my transfer instructions document with another doctor who happened to be in the office that day. She had no issue transferring two embryos considering my age and infertility history, so that's what I ultimately did.
Rochester
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them [at Strong Fertility] is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care... We did 8 rounds of IVF. 2 were in clomid and the rest were Gonal F at 76-150 units. For our IVF cycles we used Gonal F at 150, Ganirellix and Menopur at 75 units. Our frozen transfer we did a natural cycle.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care.
She always takes the time to answer my questions and calls me back immediately. She’s incredible
The nurses are my favorite, they know me by name and feel like family!
Dr. Masaba is the newest doctor at the practice, but she is so educated and makes me feel like she truly understands and knows what I’m going through. When I went to switch to a different clinic after over a year and two failed IVF cycles, the other clinic made ne nervous and I didn’t feel a connection, they also pushed surgeries that I feel they push on everyone...the care seemed cookie cutter not taylored to my needs. After feeling unsure I called Dr. Masaba and asked her opinion in surgery. She came into the iffyearly to oerform an HSG test and took the time to fully explain why she disagruwith surgery...I felt confident when I left her. Dr. Masaba’s practice is more expensive than this other clinic, but after that visit I switched back to Dr. Masaba for my 3rd cycle of IVF.
Don’t let her age and newness fool you, she is amazing!
IUI was covered by insurance. My deductible was $2000. IVF with my current cycle is $12,000 plus the cost of meds
Rochester
I have really liked all the staff at the office.... Debra Werzinger is the PA who I saw the most, especially for the ultrasound monitoring and she is terrific. Very warm and carefully explained everything I wanted to know and even things I didn't ask about.... My IUIs were done by a nurse and a physician (on the weekend, a physician does them) and they were both very knowledgable, relaxed, and took me through the process by explaining everything that was happening.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I've described a lot of strengths in talking about the staff. I appreciate that even if I see a different PA, nurse, or physician I feel like they are all working well as a team. The office feels like it works like clockwork. My appointments all begin on time or only a few minutes after the stated appointment time - crucial when you are trying to fit a lot of appointments in and explain them to a boss who you don't want to discuss your attempts to conceive with until you are successful. I was a little caught off guard when a nurse contacted me to let me know that because I was using donor sperm I would need to talk to a counselor. It was the only thing I wasn't very happy with about the office. It made me feel somewhat singled out because I'm trying to conceive in a less traditional fashion. I knew I would do whatever I needed to though, so I went to the appointment. The counselor was very nice and acknowledged, without prompting, that the appt might seem a little unfair to me. We talked about it a bit and I felt better. I also appreciated that some patients might not have thought through everything as obsessively as me (!) and really need an appt to help them make some plans. I was feeling good about my plans as we walked through my decisions and talked about future plans. All in all, I was fine with the appt, but wished I had a bit more heads up about it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
When I met with Dr. Vitek she had a great, warm bedside manner. She listened to me when I explained my case - that I wanted to be a single mother by choice - and had a plan ready that we could use to move forward. She had clearly already done her research on my referral and even had a report from my appt with a high risk OB that detailed treatment suggestions while trying to conceive and if I did get pregnant, which she shared with me. I wanted a more aggressive plan than my OB had given me (not the high-risk one, the regular one) and she was on board with sensible solutions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Debra Werzinger, PA)
I have really liked all the staff at the office. Initially I was a little put off my one of the nurses who does both the intake (blood pressure, weight, etc.) and draws blood for each appointment. She seemed so business-like that it bordered on being cold. However, after a few appointments, I found that she was a little more relaxed and she even joked around a bit. I think she's just so busy that sometimes that side of her personality doesn't shine through. Debra Werzinger is the PA who I saw the most, especially for the ultrasound monitoring and she is terrific. Very warm and carefully explained everything I wanted to know and even things I didn't ask about. Her positivity is infectious - though she does present a realistic picture of what is going on (she's not trying to overstate things that are going well). My IUIs were done by a nurse and a physician (on the weekend, a physician does them) and they were both very knowledgable, relaxed, and took me through the process by explaining everything that was happening.
How was your experience with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
I honestly didn't find any weaknesses, but I also only met with her once. Though she did reassure me during that appointment that even if I didn't see her during visits, she was behind the scenes managing my care and making decisions. And so far that has been true. NPs that I have seen and asked questions of have relayed information from her regularly. I certainly feel comfortable that if I wanted to meet with her again, she would be fine with that. In fact, if I'm not pregnant after my current cycle, we will meet again and decide on next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Make Dr. Vitek aware of your concerns or apprehensions about the process. If you need any accommodations made, let her know. In my experience, all of my concerns were addressed and if I needed assistance with anything, it was provided. She was happy to answer questions, even when I felt like they might be silly. She was more than willing to be very detailed in her answers, which I really appreciated.
Describe the protocols Wendy Vitek used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
I had bloodwork and an HSG done in the cycle right before my appointment with Dr. Vitek. Based on that information, which included a very low AMH and a higher than normal FSH, and my stated desire to use some kind of fertility drugs to help the process, she suggested using Gonal F with follicle monitoring via ultrasound. Then, when the ultrasound showed one or more good follicles were nearly developed, I triggered ovulation with Ovidrel. She discussed all the possible side effects, including the possibility of multiples. After the IUI was performed, I used Crinone progesterone gel to assist with the possible pregnancy. Though I didn't get pregnant that time, I felt great about the process and had three follicles develop. I'm in the midst of the second round doing the same protocol - I just did the second medicated IUI today. Since it will be my 4th IUI overall, we will meet and reevaluate to see if we are doing the best protocol for me if I do not get pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
My insurance covers IUIs and any associated procedures like ultrasound and medications, like the Gonal F and Ovidrel. Consequently, I was only required to pay my specialist copay ($25) for appointments and $175 copay for all of the medications. Since I was using donor sperm, I also paid about $850/IUI as that is NOT covered. That cost was not paid to Dr. Vitek's office as I used an outside donor sperm bank.
Rochester
The clinic [Strong Fertility Center] was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.... After my appointments the nurse would come in and explain things again which was nice. They do have a phlebotomist there who is horrible. She insisted I had terrible veins and took my blood from my hand. And every time I had blood drawn from her it was very painful. I’ve never had any issues with having my blood drawn before I met her.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He didn’t seem to take my husband and I seriously since we were so young. He kept saying “well you’re young... etc.”
How was your experience with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
After my HSG showed inconclusive results he refused to listen to me and the dr that performed the test. He saw what he wanted to see and he pushed for expensive treatments that weren’t needed. When we refused and asked for other options/tests he refused to help us further.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
If you’re a text book case and everything goes to plan he will probably be great. But when something isn’t quite text book he doesn’t seem to know what to do. Everything is by the book and he refuses to offer anything outside the box.
Describe the protocols John Queenan used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
My Fallopian tube spasmd during my HSG and the Dr that preformed it told him that, but Dr. Queenan refused to listen. He said I needed another HSG, and a tubal cannulation, and after that he wanted to do Femara, with trigger shot, and IUI even though my husband has perfect sperm. We said we couldn’t afford it (the HSG alone was $300+) and I asked if we could try Femara alone. He became very irritated and said no.
2014 - 2017
One of my frozen embryo transfers [at Strong Fertility] was canceled due to a bad response to the medications. My body stopped responding to the meds so they decided to cancel the protocol and start over with a different drug. Somehow my canceled transfer never got relayed to the lab and the embryologist accidentally thawed the embryo I had originally planned on transferring. My doctor called me with this news and explained what happened and told me this had never happened before and they were able to re-freeze the embryo and he was 99% sure it was fine. I ended up deciding to transfer that embryo and another one for my next transfer and only one stuck. I’ll never know if it was because one was frozen twice and thawed by accident.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strength: usually timely, never had to wait too long to be seen, not overbooked. Detailed plans, happy to answer any questions and provide more information. Weakness: could be slightly more organized but not a big weakness of theirs.
Personal phone calls from my doctor with good or bad news. Always responsive to my emails with questions. Took the time during appointments to answer questions and explain everything to me.
Most were good communicators and able to work with last minute scheduling conflicts since you’re needing to be seen almost daily but don’t know exactly when until you are seen. Good with follow up calls and detailed information with your results and next steps.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
I loved working with Dr B. He thoroughly explained every step and our chances of conceiving and was open and honest if he didn’t think something had a good chance of working if we wanted to try it anyways. He seemed invested in his patients and was happy for their success and disappointed if something turned out negatively.
Trust the process.
With having PCOS, I had to stim slow and steady to avoid “frying” my eggs. I produced a lot of eggs during my IVF egg retrieval but not all were good quality, which is to be expected with PCOS. He recommended we do ICSI since my husband also had low sperm count and low motility. All of our 24 mature eggs fertilized and by day 5 we only had 5 embryos to freeze. We had to do a “freeze all” because my progesterone shot up and Dr B explained how that could increase any risk if I did get pregnant from a transfer. So we let my body and hormones get a rest and prepared for a frozen embryo transfer. I had thin lining issues and my first transfer got pushed back about 5 days due to an increase of estrogen and it ended up working out last minute.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Quick, efficient and detailed.
We were very fortunate and had some insurance coverage. We still had to pay thousands of dollars but it could have been worse.
He recommended we transfer one embryo at a time. We did not listen to his advice and of the two transfers we did, we transferred 4 embryos (2 each time) and both times had a singleton pregnancy.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Receptionists [at Strong Fertility Center] are amazing, most nurses are too. Doctors are really nice. The clinic is nice. Overall a great experience... Most of the nurses are absolutely spectacular. A couple are far from that. One who primarily does blood draws is always rushing and dropping stuff. She comes off as rude and can never draw my blood. I leave with several pricks and brushing all over my arms and hands. One other nurse is nice but lacks social skills. She talks in circles and honestly drives me insane. The rest are phenomenal
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Receptionists are amazing, most nurses are too. Doctors are really nice. The clinic is nice. Overall a great experience
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Everyone has always been sensitive to my needs, shown empathy
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
How was your experience with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She is incredibly knowledable, always one step ahead and ready to answer whatever questions I had. I feel very cared for and like she is honest without being rude. I wish her schedule wasn't so busy and I could get in for consultations more quickly though.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Let her take the lead. Don't stress too much about what ifs and what's next. She tells you what you need to know when you need to know it
Describe the protocols Kathleen Hoeger used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Started with clomid and ovidrel to help me grow eggs and ovulate, combined with IUIs cycles to maximize the chances of conception. No success so moved on to injectables. More eggs and better quality. I also take steroids. Diagnosed with congenital adrenal hyperplasia and the steroids power my androgen levels. Steroids also reduce risk of miscarriage. I take endometrin 3 x day to lengthen my cycle to increase chances of implantation. Recurrent miscarriage led to testing and found I have blood clotting disorder so I also take lovenox shots for an anticoagulant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I have a $40 copay for every visit. I do not know pre insurance costs
Kathleen Hoeger
2013 - 2014
I only saw Dr Vitek at my initial consultation and then the consultation after my miscarriage. She was not present at any of the dozens of monitoring appointments or IUIs. The nurses were nice but never looked at my case as more than just another appointment to get through. I felt like they were just following some sort of normal protocol instead of really looking at my case and making adjustments that were tailored to me.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They need to treat each case individually with its own course of action and not follow some general protocol and just "wait and see". You will need to be your own medical advocate since no one at this clinic will be.
They were all very lovely but couldn't speak much on my case without consulting the doctor so I didn't get very far with them.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She had a good beside manner and was very knowledgable but I never interacted enough to really get the feel like she cared about me as her patient. I felt like just another number and don't feel that she really spent much time on my case.
Go somewhere else
We started with a non-medicated IUI - negative. Then we went to clomid for the next IUI - negative. Then we did higher doses of clomid for three more cycles - negative. My body was responding well to the drugs but I just was not getting pregnant. Then we tried letrozol and got a positive but I had a miscarriage of twins at 8 weeks. We tried Letrozol again and got a negative. Then Clomid again and got a negative and then I moved on to a new clinic and got pregnant off my first IVF.
I paid for sperm out of pocket. I paid for the monitoring, IUIs and medications through my insurance so I only paid copays.
Endometriosis, PCOS
The staff at Strong Fertility Center is truly amazing. They make every effort to keep you informed. Some of the staff even went above and beyond to help sort out a medication prescription issue with my pharmacy. They answer any and all questions without making me feel silly. They make me comfortable that I am in the right hands....They are on top of everything. I am always well informed of appointments, procedures and medications. They work tirelessly to help on this journey to hopefully become a parent. They are professional and really caring.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr.B always reviewed my case thoroughly and made sure to give me all my options. He does not leave out details that might be scary as he wants me to be fully informed.
He is very up front about what he thinks is the best course of action and explains why. I had laparoscopic surgery to remove endometriosis and provided all the risks and reasons why it was advised. He does talk a little fast sometimes but if I ask him to repeat it’s not a problem.
Keep an open mind and trust that he has your best interest at heart.
I underwent laparoscopic surgery twice (one exploratory) for endometriosis. It was done to improve my chances of conceiving and worked once. He upped my dose of letrozole when needed and it produced great follicles.
The most costly thing was my surgeries. Most of the procedures/labs/office visits were covered by insurance.
Rochester
The facility [Strong Fertility] itself is very nice and warming. It helped make me be not so nervous. The doctors and nurses are very nice and caring. At times, I had to push the nurse to change a med that was a little cheaper but they will try different options to help you out....An IUI at their clinic, with a discount, costed me $288 out of pocket... you communicate more with the nurses than the doctor at times. The nurses are good at communicating and getting back to you but usually only call at the end of the day.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The facility itself is very nice and warming. It helped make me be not so nervous. The doctors and nurses are very nice and caring. At times, I had to push the nurse to change a med that was a little cheaper but they will try different options to help you out.
At this office, you communicate more with the nurses than the doctor at times. The nurses are good at communicating and getting back to you but usually only call at the end of the day. This is fine, but it would be nice for them to explain that to me in the beginning. I figured it out a few weeks into treatment when finally one of the nurses said they do their calls at the end of the day when their phones are turned off. Some of them do IUIs. When I had mine done, it was done by a nurse, not a doctor. The nurses that I have dealt with this far have been great and knowledgeable.
She is very understanding. She allowed me to do appointments over the phone as I live 2 hours away from their office. Dr.Masaba is very compassionate and is willing to answer any and all questions that I have.
I have had 4 IUIs since being under her treatment. We have only changed my meds once. I am not sure if anything should have been changed. I’m trusting her and her decisions.
An IUI at their clinic, with a discount, costed me $288 out of pocket
Rochester
Strong Infertility was a wonderful clinic for me. I am currently taking a break from treatment but plan to continue with them when I start again. The environment was comfortable, clean and calming. I felt a decrease in anxiety and stress when transferring my treatment to this team...The staff at Strong Infertility was efficient, organized and compassionate. My nursing time took an incredible amount of time to walk me through the process and ensure that I knew all of the steps and procedures.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Vitek was very warm, supportive and personable. She engaged and communicated gently and effectively with my significant other and I.
Dr. Vitek made me feel comfortable, safe and secure during the procedure. She modified my treatment plan as I was visiting from out of state for the summer and was willing to work with me in any and all ways. She was gentle and kind throughout.
Ask questions and do your research as you should during this process with any RE.
I used Clomid 50mg to increase egg production and timed IUI. All of my tests are normal therefore the protocol was basic. I was not successful this cycle.
IUI was approximately 400 with sperm isolation. Consultation was approximatelly 100.
Describe Wendy Vitek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I did not use this method.
Rochester
They [nursing staff at Strong Fertility Center] are knowledgeable and efficient; however, they see so many individuals throughout the day they do seem rushed...My IVF cycle package cost $6500 (one egg retrieval and two transfers). I spent an extra $4500 on PGS testing and $4000 on medications. I also spent $1500 on FET medications...The clinic is extremely efficient. The downside is they see so many patients in one day it can be easy to feel like a number. They always called when they said they would and returned my calls within a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
He answered our questions as a doctor but also included his personal opinion when asked. He was responsive to our wants during our cycles as well.
They are knowledgeable and efficient; however, they see so many individuals throughout the day they do seem rushed.
He is knowledgeable and trustworthy. He is strong in his convictions related to fertility treatment but is open to hearing your thoughts and ideas. He has a calmness about him that benefits the clients he interacts with.
He will answer any question asked of him, just make sure you come with them ready to ask!
With unexplained infertility, we went with very “classic” treatment approaches using the least amount of medication possible. Dr Q is very conservative with his use of medications.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Describe John Queenan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
He very, very strongly believes is eSET. He warned us about the risks of transferring more than one embryo on multiple occasions. We are thankful we only transferred one embryo, as our one embryo split and we are having identical twins.
Rochester
[Strong Fertility Center- U of Rochester] Lost paperwork. Didn’t call in Rx. When is call to ask a question, no one knew what was going on. It could take 2 days to get a call back.... Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.... Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found. Not nearly aggressive enough in treatment. Missed glaringly obvious medical problems.
Personable
Disaster. List records. Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She listened, but didn’t explain much. I didn’t know how frequently I would be going in for tests or scans. She never suggested I might have endometriosis, which I did. A LOT of endometriosis. No e of the treatments i tried with her ever had a chance of working without endometriosis excision. I wasted 3 cycles and $3000 for treatment which never could have resulted in pregnancy due to endometriosis.
Ask who, what, where, when, why, and how for every single thing, and write everything down, including who you talked to, when, and what they said.
First and second d cycle: monitoring, no drugs, timed intercourse. Third cycle: monitoring, injectables, timed intercourse.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The intake nurses [at Strong Fertility Center in Rochester] can be very gruff, they rarely introduce themselves. The paperwork is confusing and uses medical lingo. You have to ask them to use lay language sometimes....paid out of pocket for donor eggs $10k. Remaining IVF procedures covered under insurance....He's [Dr. John Queenan] pretty good about introducing himself, tries to be conversational and resorts to a jokey humor that is distratcting. His procedures tend to be more painful than with other doctors. That is to say I think he could be more gentle.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The intake nurses can be very gruff, they rarely introduce themselves. The paperwork is confusing and uses medical lingo. You have to ask them to use lay language sometimes.
He seems to care. He's super busy and seems a bit ditzy though.
The care structure isn't clear at the beginning. It is confusing to figure out with whom you should speak with.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He's pretty good about introducing himself, tries to be conversational and resorts to a jokey humor that is distratcting. His procedures tend to be more painful than with other doctors. That is to say I think he could be more gentle.
He has a big personality - it can be distracting.
Did a couple cycles because the first batch of donor eggs was a failure. They required a mock cycle to get the treatment right. Resulted in adding a thyroid medication for the real cycle. They always claimed they had to follow the protocols required by the egg bank which made me think they sometimes couldn't change things even if they wanted to.
Paid out of pocket for donor eggs $10k. Remaining IVF procedures covered under insurance.
2010 - 2015
Dr Queenan is a great RE but if you don't fit into his plan he doesn't offer many alternatives. He basically gave up on us. After a few unsuccessful cycles he told me I needed a gestational carrier and that it would be too expensive for us.... I went to this practice [Strong Fertility Center] for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name..... Every time I did a cycle there were errors with my plan. One time I took the wrong dose of meds because it was wrong in my plan. One time my plan got mailed to the wrong address! They said I must have moved, which of course I didn't.
2010 - 2015
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Medically they do everything by the book. They don't think outside of the box. They are not accommodating or compassionate.
I went to this practice for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
They were terrible!!! Very unorganized, very rude! They made mistakes in my plan and never apologized. Their mistakes always ended up being my fault.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Don't waste your time at this office.
I can't remember exactly but I think it was $7500 for IVF and $3000 for FETs
Dr Q told me my chances were better with only one but we did two cycles with only one embryo and it was unsuccessful