6.8

Selling medication is not offered
Selling medication is not offered

601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642

Dr Masaba is wonderful, but I struggle with the other doctors at this practice, so it is hard that it's the luck of the draw for which one you get for a given procedure.... Dr. Masaba would call me whenever I was having an issue and we would talk it out, she is one of the kindest doctors that I have ever had exposure to... She understands that I suffer form anxiety and her approach works perfectly with this
I feel like the clinic [Strong Fertility] is a little disorganized and you have to be your own advocate....The nurses are nice, but don't call back until the very end of the day, so if you need an answer, MyChart seems to be better (though they apparently complain to the Doctors about the use of MyChart for questions, rather than taking the questions in MyChart and calling to discuss)... I have had results not told to me in what I consider a timely manner
How was your experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr Masaba is wonderful, but I struggle with the other doctors at this practice, so it is hard that it's the luck of the draw for which one you get for a given procedure. Dr. Masaba is very warm and explains everything in detail. I'm counting down the days until she is back from maternity leave. She understands that I suffer form anxiety and her approach works perfectly with this
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
That most of the other doctors at the practice are not great. Dr. Vitek is very cold, Dr. Lewis is always at least 45 minutes late, Dr. Bala is rough. Dr Queenan was very friendly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Describe the protocols Erin Masaba used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Dr. Masaba stimulated me for my egg retrieval resulting in 32 eggs, 29 of which were mature. This put us in a very good position for ICSI. The stim was with gonal F, menapur and we used cetrotide once we got to a certain point (OUCH) and then ovidrel to trigger. I was OHSS, so we could not do a fresh transfer, but this gave us a chance to do PGS. Before going on maternity leave, we did one transfer cycle which was not successful, and then she started me on a medicated cycle (patches and estrace with progesterone) this resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle is very nice, and always answers my questions to the best of her knowledge. She missed my vein for my iv before my retrieval when I was already very nervous which still has me a little, eeeeek, though I understand that accidents happen. When I was first starting the nurses drawing blood (not michelle) were HORRENDOUS, but they must have gotten complaints because it has gotten so much better, and now the nurses drawing blood do a very nice job and are very kind.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I feel like the clinic is a little disorganized and you have to be your own advocate. It was NOT like that before Dr. Masaba left on maternity though, so I feel as though I have fallen into the cracks with the other Doctors while she is gone, which i am not happy about. The front desk folks are nice. The nurses are nice, but don't call back until the very end of the day, so if you need an answer, MyChart seems to be better (though they apparently complain to the Doctors about the use of MyChart for questions, rather than taking the questions in MyChart and calling to discuss)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Our insurance paid for some, so I cannot give an accurate response to this.
Describe Erin Masaba's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
2 failed attempts with a single, before going to 2 embryos
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I have had results not told to me in what I consider a timely manner (but I think my standards a bit high). I've had to request drugs be called in multiple times, though some of this was due to my insurance.
Erin Masaba
Rochester

Dr. Vitek is very hard to get a hold of, and even in our last meeting, she said "I'm sorry that my availability impacted your care." She also said that my use of MyChart was driving the staff crazy and making it hard for them to be on my team, but no one was calling me back. She also blamed a lot of the issues we were having on my anxiety... She suggested that I have a saline ultrasound which showed nothing
Currently, I feel like a number at this clinic [Strong Fertility Center]. They don't like too many questions, and are hard to get a hold of, so I tend to have to MyChart, but then I was told they don't like this either, so I guess we're just supposed to accept whatever is told without questioning....I've had drugs not called in and very often the clinic forgot that I have insurance and would call the medications into the wrong place.
How was your experience with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek is very hard to get a hold of, and even in our last meeting, she said "I'm sorry that my availability impacted your care." She also said that my use of MyChart was driving the staff crazy and making it hard for them to be on my team, but no one was calling me back. She also blamed a lot of the issues we were having on my anxiety, which I never experienced with my other doctor. Overall, I feel like maybe she would be best behind the scenes, and not taking on direct patients, just doing research
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She is too busy to take you on as a patient, but you won't be told that until after a failed cycle when you have barely been able to get a hold of her the whole time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek made it very clear that she is in research and clinic, so only 1/2 of her time is meant to be with the clinic. It was very difficult to get a hold of her.
Describe the protocols Wendy Vitek used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
She suggested that I have a saline ultrasound which showed nothing (but I still 100% agree with this, as if there was something going on, we would have caught it), then she had me do a "natural cycle" that included 5ish days of gonal and then ovidrel and pio shots. I really wish that, after 2 failed transfers, that she would have said that I needed to have an ERA, she only mentioned it in passing in our discussion.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The nurses seem to most often call at the end of the day (I know that this is because they are busy, but maybe the clinic should look at staffing for this), if you miss a call, you're forced to respond via MyChart.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Currently, I feel like a number at this clinic. They don't like too many questions, and are hard to get a hold of, so I tend to have to MyChart, but then I was told they don't like this either, so I guess we're just supposed to accept whatever is told without questioning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Insurance covers some and I still have not seen all of my bills, so I cannot accurately assess this.
Describe Wendy Vitek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I wish she had said we needed to do an ERA before transferring 2 more embryos after two failed singleton attempts.
Rochester

Dr. Masaba is smart and straightforward, but also kind and warm. She has a positive attitude and a lot of energy. She cares about her patients and is willing to explain things in detail. She's returned my calls during off hours and has never hesitated to help. She gets excited about your treatment and each small success. She's also down to earth and very real, not pretentious in any way.
Dr. Masaba talks quickly and is very energetic. I absolutely love that type of personality as it matches my own pace, but some people may prefer a doctor with slower and steadier style. While Dr. Masaba is extremely smart, to the point, and very enthusiastic, she sometimes struggles with details and organization. As long as you self-advocate and stay up on your treatment details (which I'm finding to be an absolute necessity as an IVF patient), you should be fine.
Dr. Masaba remembered all the details of my treatment, the specifics of what was going on with me each time I saw her, and recommended a new protocol she had just learned about during a conference because she felt I fit the required profile.
Estrogen Priming Protocol for DOR with Duostim I have diminished ovarian reserve from multiple surgeries for endometriosis. Dr. Masaba wanted to try IUI first to see how I would respond to meds before proceeding with IVF. IUI is covered by my insurance whereas IVF is not, so I thought this was a good idea before deciding to invest a large amount of money. My antral follicle count had been very low during monitoring - around 2 or 3 during two different baseline ultrasounds. Once it was confirmed that I was responding to meds during my IUI cycle (albeit poorly), Dr. Masaba recommended estrogen priming in conjunction with IVF to increase my follicle production. My antral follicle count went up to 13 and 15 respectively during the two cycles I've done with estrogen priming, so it did help. The first cycle produced 3 follicles. It was less than hoped for, but the cycle was ultimately canceled because the trigger shot failed and converted to an IUI. No pregnancy. The second cycle was a freeze all duostim. The plan was to stim, retrieve, and then stim again 5 days later in the same cycle month to capitalize on all the antral follicles from the priming. The first retrieval in the duostim resulted in 3 follices, with 2 mature eggs. Both fertilized. The second retrieval in the duostim resulted in 7 follicles, 5 mature eggs retrieved, and 5 fertilized. After the duostim, I had a frozen embryo transfer of two high quality 8 cell embryos on day 3. We had one embryo make it to blastocyst on day 6 so that is currently frozen. I did not get pregnant from the transfer. I proceeded with another duostim using estrogen priming rather using my remaining frozen embryo since I'm 36 and want multiple children. The second duostim had similar results as the first in terms of numbers but I ended up with two 5 days blasts for my frozen embryo transfer and two 6 day embryos to freeze! I was thrilled! I am currently 5 weeks pregnant from the embryo transfer this cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin)
Kaitlin is extremely sweet and a super caring person. She was meant to be an IVF nurse. She's completely genuine, friendly, and took a personal interest in me as a patient. I always felt comfortable talking to her about anything regarding my treatment. She is a bright point at Strong Fertility.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Although I'm happy with my doctor and nurse, I am a bit underwhelmed with Strong Fertility as a whole. There were major missteps during many points of my treatment, costing me both money and fertility time. The front desk staff is very uninformed and there are a few staff members that are downright angry and rude. That said, they are conservative and practice evidence based medicine (even though it may mean they are not on the cutting edge). If you prefer science over the kitchen sink approach, then this clinic is likely a fit for you based on the choices in the area. I've left detailed comments on all of the missteps and errors that occurred so far during my treatment in another section of this review.
At the time of my treatment, this was the pricing scheme: Package 1. $6500 - Includes one fresh IVF cycle and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfer, or 2 frozen transfers) Package 2. $10,800 - Includes 2 fresh IVF cycles and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen) Package 3. $14,700 - Includes 3 fresh IVF cycles and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen) I started with package 1, moved to package 2, and will be continuing with package 3. My medication costs per cycle were around $4000-5000 (would have be $9-10,000 if I hadn't ordered overseas). If you needed to do any retrievals beyond package 3, previously you needed to start over at package 1 and pay $6500 again which didn't make any sense! After complaining to every doctor I encountered at Strong and making multiple calls to the IVF secretary over my fourth retrieval, I'm thrilled to say that this has been changed! Now additional cycles are $4900 (Package 3 divided by three).
Dr. Masaba strongly recommended eSET and warned against the complications of multiples. Ultimately I signed my transfer instructions document with another doctor who happened to be in the office that day. She had no issue transferring two embryos considering my age and infertility history, so that's what I ultimately did.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
- Strong was closed for a full week in January (for "winter break") which delayed the start of my treatment by several weeks. - Strong was closed again for a full week less than two months later for "spring break". Luckily for me it did not impact my treatment. I'm sure others weren't so lucky. I own a retail business in a time sensitive industry and the thought of closing for an entire week is laughable. - Egg retrievals are not done on Saturday or Sunday. This severely limits flexibility as a day or two can be the difference between more or less eggs being retrieved. Also, if you have any issues with your trigger shot (as I did), and your retrieval is scheduled for a Friday, you cannot simply reschedule your procedure since the office is closed. I had to cancel my cycle. - When my trigger shot failed, I was told by the nurse to "hope for the best" and continue with the retrieval. No doctor called to discuss my options and the office was closed at that point. After doing research online, I realized that the chance of retrieving any eggs with a trigger failure was basically zero. I had to contact the on-call doctor, who wouldn't really give me any advice either way. When my husband and I decided to cancel and convert to IUI so we could get our money back, he said "You definitely made the right choice". I would have appreciated the straight talk up front so we didn't have to do our own research. - My medication script was written incorrectly twice. In the first case, I came up short on one medication and had too much of another. As a result, I had to overnight meds last minute and had a stockpile of the other leftover. Luckily I needed them in a later stimulation, otherwise I would have been out thousands of dollars. Had I not seen the mistake the second time around, that number would have doubled. - The clinic gave me a difficult time about ordering meds overseas as they felt it was unsafe. I understand the concern, but after doing probably 20-30 hours of research on my own, I found that it was both legal and safe. Many clinics actually recommend ordering overseas to their patients. I understand their concern for safety and liability, but I would have expected them to be more knowledgable on this subject. They kept citing a single patient who had a bad round. It was very hard to get scripts printed and I got pushback. Ultimately I ordered overseas and saved over $8000 on medications for my multiple retrievals. The cycle where 100% of the meds I used were ordered overseas resulted in the most eggs collected and fertilized out of the 3 cycles I've done. I am now pregnant using overseas meds. - The embryologists at Strong do not grade your embryos. I received no number and letter grading. During my call to followup on my frozen embryos, I was told one was "healthy" and had been frozen, but the other was "unhealthy" and discarded. When I called my doctor to discuss, she said they don't give grades. I don't know anyone who has gone through IVF and not received embryo grades. UPDATE: As of September 2018 this seems to have changed. - Calls are typically made once the office is closed. If you miss any information or have any questions, it's too late to call back in 90% of cases. - The nurses line is unreliable at best. I'm not sure I've ever received a call back when I've left a message. For example, I contracted an infection during my first IUI, I left a message at 9am saying I had a fever and was in immense pain. Nobody called me back. I called again at 10:30 and left another message. Nothing. Finally I decided to call the "if this is an emergency" extension at lunch. Only then was able to speak to someone. I was seen at 2:30pm, which was great, but it was still quite a while after my initial call. They did treat me in the office with IV antibiotics, which saved me a trip to the ER, but it was concerning that they don't have enough staff to monitor and return calls on the nurses line. - There are a lot of treatment inconsistencies. For example, for my first two stims I was not told to take any supplements. Then on my 3rd stim, there was a handwritten note to take Co-Q10 everyday. Why was I never told this before? - Billing is totally screwed up. The clinic has a different billing system than the hospital and they never match up. I never know what to pay and my balance changes month to month. - Overall I feel that this clinic is understaffed and inconsistent. Their hours are not friendly to the IVF process and certain staff members should likely be replaced. I understand that IVF is a very involved process and managing numerous patients has to be a lot to handle. My recommendation would be to hire more staff to keep things running smoothly, especially considering how much patients are being charged for treatment. UPDATE: More/new staff has been hired as of summer 2018 and things have been running more smoothly in my opinion.
Erin Masaba
Rochester

Wendy [Dr. Vitek] was not present often She did not perform procedures She did not get back to me with answers to questions I may have had. Nursing staff did a better job. Wendy did not seem to care whether I had a positive result or not She did not talk to me about anything or health plans or anything.... In the course of the couple years I was her patient I may have saw her a handful of times
The nursing staff [at Strong Fertility Center] is okay: no one goes above or beyond for you at this office. You are just a number here.... I advice another office. The team here does not seem to take patients seriously. The team was quick to cut ties when I mentioned getting a second opinion. I poured my heart and soul into this office believing in my heart the individuals here could help me. Instead I felt alienated and discriminated against. felt utterly unimportant
Wendy was not present often She did not perform procedures She did not get back to me with answers to questions I may have had. Nursing staff did a better job. Wendy did not seem to care whether I had a positive result or not She did not talk to me about anything or health plans or anything.
Seek out a different doctor
I barely saw Wendy, someone else and her bedside manner was not great when I did see her. In the course of the couple years I was her patient I may have saw her a handful of times
Clomid 50mg Day 5-9 One ovidrel injection Iui Negative 50mg clomid One ovidrel injection Iui Negative 100mg clomid One ovidrel injection No pregnancy No pregnancy. Never received diagnosis of PCOS until switching doctors office.
The nursing staff is okay: no one goes above or beyond for you at this office. You are just a number here.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The office drained my hra account and I still paid out of pocket. They also refused the completion of my 4th cycle half way through (Because they said my insurance had no Coverage for me.. after 3 precious cycles- because I am in a same sex marriage) I was forced to stop and still charged for the monitoring. I also was diagnosed with infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss years before marrying my wife.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Everything about this clinic was wrong. My first time going there, they didn’t know I was there for an IUI. My second time - (second IUI) the woman who did it.. told me my cervix was hiding and she has to “coax it out” and took the “ hook”tool and pulled at my cervix because she couldn’t find it... I have since asked other doctors and .. my cerfix is fine!!! How embarrassing
Rochester

My Fallopian tube spasmd during my HSG and the Dr that preformed it told him that, but Dr. Queenan refused to listen. He said I needed another HSG, and a tubal cannulation, and after that he wanted to do Femara, with trigger shot, and IUI even though my husband has perfect sperm. We said we couldn’t afford it (the HSG alone was $300+) and I asked if we could try Femara alone. He became very irritated and said no.
The clinic [Strong Fertility Center] was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.... After my appointments the nurse would come in and explain things again which was nice. They do have a phlebotomist there who is horrible. She insisted I had terrible veins and took my blood from my hand. And every time I had blood drawn from her it was very painful. I’ve never had any issues with having my blood drawn before I met her.
How was your experience with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
After my HSG showed inconclusive results he refused to listen to me and the dr that performed the test. He saw what he wanted to see and he pushed for expensive treatments that weren’t needed. When we refused and asked for other options/tests he refused to help us further.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
If you’re a text book case and everything goes to plan he will probably be great. But when something isn’t quite text book he doesn’t seem to know what to do. Everything is by the book and he refuses to offer anything outside the box.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He didn’t seem to take my husband and I seriously since we were so young. He kept saying “well you’re young... etc.”
Describe the protocols John Queenan used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.
John Queenan
Rochester

She [Dr. Vitek] listened, but didn’t explain much. I didn’t know how frequently I would be going in for tests or scans. She never suggested I might have endometriosis, which I did. A LOT of endometriosis. No e of the treatments i tried with her ever had a chance of working without endometriosis excision.... First and second d cycle: monitoring, no drugs, timed intercourse. Third cycle: monitoring, injectables, timed intercourse.
[Strong Fertility Center- U of Rochester] Lost paperwork. Didn’t call in Rx. When is call to ask a question, no one knew what was going on. It could take 2 days to get a call back.... Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.... Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found.
She listened, but didn’t explain much. I didn’t know how frequently I would be going in for tests or scans. She never suggested I might have endometriosis, which I did. A LOT of endometriosis. No e of the treatments i tried with her ever had a chance of working without endometriosis excision. I wasted 3 cycles and $3000 for treatment which never could have resulted in pregnancy due to endometriosis.
Ask who, what, where, when, why, and how for every single thing, and write everything down, including who you talked to, when, and what they said.
Personable
Disaster. List records. Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found. Not nearly aggressive enough in treatment. Missed glaringly obvious medical problems.

2010 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr Queenan is a great RE but if you don't fit into his plan he doesn't offer many alternatives. He basically gave up on us. After a few unsuccessful cycles he told me I needed a gestational carrier and that it would be too expensive for us.... I went to this practice for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name..... Every time I did a cycle there were errors with my plan. One time I took the wrong dose of meds because it was wrong in my plan. One time my plan got mailed to the wrong address! They said I must have moved, which of course I didn't.
Dr Queenan is a great RE but if you don't fit into his plan he doesn't offer many alternatives. He basically gave up on us. After a few unsuccessful cycles he told me I needed a gestational carrier and that it would be too expensive for us.... I went to this practice [Strong Fertility Center] for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name..... Every time I did a cycle there were errors with my plan. One time I took the wrong dose of meds because it was wrong in my plan. One time my plan got mailed to the wrong address! They said I must have moved, which of course I didn't.
Don't waste your time at this office.
I went to this practice for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
They were terrible!!! Very unorganized, very rude! They made mistakes in my plan and never apologized. Their mistakes always ended up being my fault.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Medically they do everything by the book. They don't think outside of the box. They are not accommodating or compassionate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I can't remember exactly but I think it was $7500 for IVF and $3000 for FETs
Describe John Queenan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr Q told me my chances were better with only one but we did two cycles with only one embryo and it was unsuccessful
John Queenan

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Wendy Vitek] had a good beside manner and was very knowledgable but I never interacted enough to really get the feel like she cared about me as her patient. I felt like just another number and don't feel that she really spent much time on my case...I only saw Dr Vitek at my initial consultation and then the consultation after my miscarriage. She was not present at any of the dozens of monitoring appointments or IUIs. The nurses were nice but never looked at my case as more than just another appointment to get through. I felt like they were just following some sort of normal protocol instead of really looking at my case and making adjustments that were tailored to me.
She had a good beside manner and was very knowledgable but I never interacted enough to really get the feel like she cared about me as her patient. I felt like just another number and don't feel that she really spent much time on my case.
Go somewhere else
We started with a non-medicated IUI - negative. Then we went to clomid for the next IUI - negative. Then we did higher doses of clomid for three more cycles - negative. My body was responding well to the drugs but I just was not getting pregnant. Then we tried letrozol and got a positive but I had a miscarriage of twins at 8 weeks. We tried Letrozol again and got a negative. Then Clomid again and got a negative and then I moved on to a new clinic and got pregnant off my first IVF.
They were all very lovely but couldn't speak much on my case without consulting the doctor so I didn't get very far with them.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They need to treat each case individually with its own course of action and not follow some general protocol and just "wait and see". You will need to be your own medical advocate since no one at this clinic will be.
I paid for sperm out of pocket. I paid for the monitoring, IUIs and medications through my insurance so I only paid copays.