6.8

Selling medication is not offered

601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642

2018 - 2022, Unknown Success
The clinic [at Strong Fertility Center] is great. It’s overwhelming and a lot to handle but your success is what they want! They are routing for you. I liked the entire staff and felt comfortable with them. I recommend the Strong Fertility clinic and staff to anyone struggling....The entire team at Strong Fertility was really outstanding and we are truly grateful for what they’ve done for us. Their compassion was so helpful during our hardest times.
How was your experience with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr John Queenan is a wonderful man who truly cared about my husband and I! He wanted our success as much as we did. We loved working with him! We would recommend him to anyone struggling to convince. He’s the reason we are parents! We had a lot of setbacks but he never gave up on us and our dreams! We love Dr Queenan! The entire team at Strong Fertility was really outstanding and we are truly grateful for what they’ve done for us. Their compassion was so helpful during our hardest times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Listen to his suggestions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He was always amazing to us and felt like he truly cared!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Wonderful!
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic is great. It’s overwhelming and a lot to handle but your success is what they want! They are routing for you. I liked the entire staff and felt comfortable with them. I recommend the Strong Fertility clinic and staff to anyone struggling.
Rochester

Dr. Vitek is very gentle and calming. It always seemed that when she was talking to me, I was the only thing that mattered and you wouldn't feel like she had another patient to rush off to. She explained things very well, gave reading material, and explained alternative options. I never felt anxious when seeing or talking to her...Our first cycle for IUI, we started with a low dose of Letrozole. After a full course, my tests were not showing much progress so she up-ed the dosage and took another course which improved my response.
I think the best thing about the [Strong Fertility Center] clinic was their hours. I have never been to another clinic so I can't compare, but I felt due to their hours it was very accommodating for me to come in for treatment (early before work). The front staff was always nice on the phone when calling...Our insurance did not cover IVF, and we paid $6500 out of pocket to the clinic for that. Plus costs for drugs to the pharmacy. I also had to pay for any blood work outside of the $6500.
How was your experience with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
I would definitely recommend seeing Dr. Vitek!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
I felt like a human when going to this clinic with everyone I interacted with. One reason we were there was due to my husband's health concerns, and I went to most appointments without him, but DR. Vitek and nurses always asked how he was doing and how I was doing.
Describe the protocols Wendy Vitek used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Our first cycle for IUI, we started with a low dose of Letrozole. After a full course, my tests were not showing much progress so she up-ed the dosage and took another course which improved my response. The 2nd round, that same dosage did not seem to work well, so up-ed the dosage again that round. She always explained possible risks (ex: multiples) and possible side effects. The 3-6 cycles, the higher dosage of Letrozole worked and I felt like I knew what to expect each cycle. Even though the drugs worked on my body, all result were negative (due to male factor).
All the nurses, PAs and NPs were very nice and caring. I felt very safe and comfortable in their hands. One of the PAs did most of my ultrasounds and I looked forward to seeing here. I had 4 different nurses do my 6 IUIs, and even though they were NOT pleasant, I always felt safe. I felt like I could call or send a message and get a quick and complete response.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I think the best thing about the clinic was their hours. I have never been to another clinic so I can't compare, but I felt due to their hours it was very accommodating for me to come in for treatment (early before work). The front staff was always nice on the phone when calling.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
All treatment related to IUI was billed to my insurance. The co-pays were very high due to our insurance, but not the clinics fault. Our insurance did not cover IVF, and we paid $6500 out of pocket to the clinic for that. Plus costs for drugs to the pharmacy. I also had to pay for any blood work outside of the $6500. I felt that was less than some of the research I've done.
Describe Wendy Vitek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
She presented scientific studies and data for reasoning on why single embryo was done.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Hoeger is so genuine in nice. She listened to all our concerns asking questions along the way. She was direct in explaining our situation to us, what she thought about our odds, and what she would recommend for us to do all while having a super warm presence. During my procedures to date, she's been a force of super calm when I've been extremely nervous! ... We are being recommended to use IVF with ICSI.
This clinic [Strong Fertility Center] works like a well oiled machine. They are super responsive through their portal. You typically get a call back and answer within 24 hours. They are also set-up so that all procedures are done onsite at their office (i.e. no need to travel anywhere else for blood work, imaging, transfers, retrievals, etc). They are extremely busy so it can be a bit of a wait in order to get an appt. Otherwise, they truly cover all the needs of a patient.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
I had decided to get a second opinion and scheduled an appt with Dr. Hoeger before deciding to proceed with IVF. She was realistic about our options and chances. She took her time with us and she talked about the differences between her clinic (larger/sees more ppl) vs our previous clinic that was much smaller. She was professional and I honestly feel like I have had more compassion and attention at this clinic that 'sees more ppl' than our previous one. I didn't know what to expect during that consultation but both my husband and I were immediately ready to continue with Dr. Hoeger by the end of our meeting. We switched clinics that day and while I'm still waiting to continue treatment, I feel confident in my decision and thankful we decided to get that original second opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She is willing to take her time with you and answer any/all questions. I would recommend writing down all your questions prior to meeting and bringing a notepad to write down answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Describe the protocols Kathleen Hoeger used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
We are currently awaiting to start treatment for IVF. Prior to starting we both had full work ups including bloodwork, genetic testing, sperm analysis, HSG, SSH, day 3 hormones. We are being recommended to use IVF with ICSI.
The nursing staff has been incredibly friendly. They have answered all my questions in a timely manner and never made me feel stupid for asking them. They've also chatted with me on the phone longer than necessary when I needed to 'vent' or wasn't understanding a situation. Every nurse I've encountered has been this way.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
This clinic works like a well oiled machine. They are super responsive through their portal. You typically get a call back and answer within 24 hours. They are also set-up so that all procedures are done onsite at their office (i.e. no need to travel anywhere else for blood work, imaging, transfers, retrievals, etc). They are extremely busy so it can be a bit of a wait in order to get an appt. Otherwise, they truly cover all the needs of a patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Hoeger at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
All costs are clearly listed on their website. $6500 Includes 1 oocyte retrieval and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfer, or 2 frozen transfers). Subsequent Cycles $4300 Includes 1 oocyte retrieval and 1 transfer (either fresh or frozen), plus any unused transfer from cycle #1. My medicine costs were estimated at $3900. Embryo Storage First full year of storage: $300 per year that is prorated. Single Frozen Embryo Transfer Cycle (FET) $2500. Cryopreservation of embryos ($650).
Describe Kathleen Hoeger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Our Dr. recommends, based on our age and situation, to transfer a single embryo for the safest, healthiest pregnancy.
Kathleen Hoeger
Rochester
Dr. Vitek stated they will so single embryo transfer for the first two cycles. If unsuccessful, then we can consider multiple embryo transfer. She explained the rationale and we agreed...She was easy to chat with, and was open to our decision to pursue IVF instead of continuing with IUI. She took her time and explained everything, answered all our questions and didn't appear rushed at all.
The nurses [at Strong Fertility Center] were quick to call back when I had called with questions. During the retrevial and transfer procedures they were very educated, able to answer any questions and were nice and supportive...Rough estimate of fertility workup, 2 IUIs and one round of IVF were $6500, so far...The wait to get in for initial consultation was several months
Dr. Vitek was wonderful from the start. She was easy to chat with, and was open to our decision to pursue IVF instead of continuing with IUI. She took her time and explained everything, answered all our questions and didn't appear rushed at all.
Dr. Vitek is a wonderful doctor who shows compassion.
Took time to explain everything in detail. She answered all of our questions, and even called several days after our negative pregnancy test to check up on us.
We stimulated with Gonal F and Menopur, added in Cetrotide. Went for monitoring ultrasounds every 2 or 3 days. Triggered with HCG and got 15 embryos at retrieval.
The nurses were quick to call back when I had called with questions. During the retrevial and transfer procedures they were very educated, able to answer any questions and were nice and supportive.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The wait to get in for initial consultation was several months. This on top of a long journey already to conceive was frustrating. Once we got in things moved along pretty well, it initially is just a slow process because testing has to get done at certain parts of your cycle. When we decided we were ready to move on to IVF after several IUIs they were very quick to get things in motion and communicate every step of the way.
When we asked about how many embryos they transfer at once Dr. Vitek stated they will so single embryo transfer for the first two cycles. If unsuccessful, then we can consider multiple embryo transfer. She explained the rationale and we agreed.
Rochester

Dr. Vitek is very forthcoming about processes, options, and potential outcomes. She is also kind and easy to talk to. On multiple occasions she's altered my protocol to make me more comfortable or to make the process easier for me, which I greatly appreciated....she's always excited to explain things--even pulling up diagrams and pictures on the computer to illustrate different concepts. I've never felt rushed while talking to her, and she also always includes my husband in discussions
Like many clinics, the wait time to get seen initially [at Strong Fertility] can be pretty long. I waited 3-4 months for an appointment...Once I was in, though, everything was much easier and faster. They have options for communicating online or by phone, which works really well for me in terms of coordinating medication ordering during the weekdays. The staff often knows who I am and greets me, which is nice.
Dr. Vitek is super knowledgeable. I'm someone who likes to know about the research and the purpose behind every medication and procedure, and she's always excited to explain things--even pulling up diagrams and pictures on the computer to illustrate different concepts. I've never felt rushed while talking to her, and she also always includes my husband in discussions and checks in with him about questions and concerns.
Like with any doctor, come prepared with questions and write down her answers. Sometimes we would talk through a few different possible options, so reviewing the plan at the end of any appointment was really helpful for me.
Dr. Vitek is very forthcoming about processes, options, and potential outcomes. She is also kind and easy to talk to. On multiple occasions she's altered my protocol to make me more comfortable or to make the process easier for me, which I greatly appreciated. I wasn't just a number that was taking medications, I was a human who needed to be able to live life while going through the treatment.
Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we went right to combining clomid and injectables. Unfortunately, my first IUI was cancelled because my LH surged too early. Once we knew that I'd ovulate really easily, though, Dr. Vitek was vigilant in making sure my estrogen and LH were monitored closely and that I started an antagonist early. We used that same protocol for a few cycles, but switched to letrozole as my lining didn't develop very nicely and I ended up with a few cysts after one or two cycles. Then I asked to try injectables only, which we did with Follistim, and then I asked to try Gonal F, as I knew women in another clinic often used and thought it was worth trying. I had a much better response to Gonal, and after about 5 or 6 IUIs I was thinking of IVF and asked Dr. Vitek if I could try Menopur to see what my reaction would be. I had my best cycle with Gonal & Menopur (300/150) and got a record of 4 follicles. Unfortunately, we weren't financially ready for IVF, so we just did IUI and got a negative. Once we had done about 8-9 months of IUI, it was nearing the end of the year and we switched insurance in the new year that would give us IVF coverage. We started with pretty much the same protocol as my IUI but my ovaries didn't respond, which was a surprise. We took a much more aggressive approach, in the second try, and Dr. Vitek strongly suggested a duostim, which she said had been successful with other 'poor responders'. She shared some research articles that went over the protocol. I primed with birth control and testosterone gel, and then went into using stim meds along with a steroid, dexamethasone. My first retrieval we got 3 eggs and 2 fertilized, and at my second retrieval we got 2 eggs and 1 fertilized. I went right into another stim as I had recovered quickly from the first two retrievals, but we tried a 'mini stim' with letrozole and then Gonal, but even though I grew two follicles, one wasn't mature and the other didn't fertilize. I kept going on the duostim, but had a large lead follicle and some smaller ones that didn't have time to catch up, and the one retrieved wasn't mature. I took a few cycles off and tried a transfer cycle which got cancelled because I ovulated through the Estrace. Now we are trying a more natural transfer cycle but with stim meds and an antagonist. I should transfer within 10 days!
Overall, I like the nursing staff very much. Especially in person, they are caring and competent. The only times I have had any communication difficulties was over the phone when the nurse was communicating something that I needed more specifics on, such as when a cycle was cancelled, or information about whether retrieved eggs fertilized.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Like many clinics, the wait time to get seen initially can be pretty long. I waited 3-4 months for an appointment, and was seen by another dr and started some of my initial testing in the meantime, which helped me get started right away when I did get seen. Once I was in, though, everything was much easier and faster. They have options for communicating online or by phone, which works really well for me in terms of coordinating medication ordering during the weekdays. The staff often knows who I am and greets me, which is nice. They are super efficient, which was a little jolting when I was new, as they move quickly and sometimes assume you know where to go or what to do, so I'd recommend being really clear that it's your first appointment or asking what you should do (for example, at my first baseline appointment I didn't know they'd be doing a vaginal ultrasound and needed to get undressed--I think I assumed it would be the tummy kind since I had my period. The nurse just walked me in and said the PA would be in shortly, and when she came in she had to explain). But once I was doing a few cycles I really appreciated how efficient they were because my appointments went quickly, for the most part.
I'm very lucky to have good insurance. My main costs were copays ($40) and then medications (~75/cycle). I switched over to another insurance that covers all my fertility treatment costs (the Empire Plan--work for NYS!), and the medication was covered separately, so I still had that cost. From my understanding, the costs are similar to other fertility clinics, and they do publish them on their website, which is helpful.
Because I will be transferring 3 day embryos, my doctor recommended transfering 2. She said we could go either way but did say our success rate goes up with 2.
Rochester

Because we were dealing with male factor, [Dr. John Queenan] he thought were should start out trying with IUI. We did ultrasound at start of cycle and we also had hysterosalpingogram to make sure my tube were open, which they are! No medication was taken...He is a good communicator and make sure to write everything down so you can review it. He comes prepared and on time.
[staff of Strong Fertility Center] When leaving message with answering service I have always received a call back in a timely manner...My insurance covered the visit, bloodwork, and IUI. I only paid for donor sperm and my copay. In total I think I spent around $3,000...[clinic error] I had blood work done for gene testing and was never notified of results. Also when I came in for the scheduled blood test, they had scheduled me for an ultrasound appointment instead of bloodwork. Everyone was very helpful and fixed the mistake and I was seen anyway.
He is very knowledgeable! He knows about disease that cause infertility and how to help his patients. He is a good communicator and make sure to write everything down so you can review it. He comes prepared and on time.
Be prepared for appointment and have questions to ask and don’t be afraid to ask. He is knowledgeable and wants to help.
Dr. Queenan made sure that my husband and I understood what he was talking about and spent a lot of time going over our history so he knew what our options were.
Describe the protocols John Queenan used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Because we were dealing with male factor he thought were should start out trying with IUI. We did ultrasound at start of cycle and we also had hysterosalpingogram to make sure my tube were open, which they are! No medication was taken
They are super nice and helpful with questions. They never seem to be in a hurry and wanted to make sure that you were taken care of !
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They have great hours and even when not open the answering service is polite. When leaving message with answering service I have always received a call back in a timely manner. Everyone always is nice and smile. They are confidential with information even when at desk.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Rochester
She [Dr. Masaba] was specific, detailed and explained the various options but still left us knowing we were making our own decisions. Thorough while taking our history since we have been trying for over 5 years before changing to this new practice. We are hopeful and excited to try out IVF this coming summer.... The staff [Strong Fertility] is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care.
The staff [Strong Fertility] is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care. This was especially important for us as our previous fertility clinic did not always do this. They make time to answer our questions and make us feel like people are valued and not just a number. They are very knowledgeable and professional.... Weakness would be getting to talk to a nurse via phone within the house of leaving a message. There are so many strengths!!!!
How was your experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She was specific, detailed and explained the various options but still left us knowing we were making our own decisions. Thorough while taking our history since we have been trying for over 5 years before changing to this new practice. We are hopeful and excited to try out IVF this coming summer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Be open and honest. Share all of your thoughts.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Like a human, calling me by name and talking about my specific details and future plans.
The staff is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care. This was especially important for us as our previous fertility clinic did not always do this. They make time to answer our questions and make us feel like people are valued and not just a number. They are very knowledgeable and professional.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Weakness would be getting to talk to a nurse via phone within the house of leaving a message. There are so many strengths!!!! Open schedules to help make an appointment, refreshments in the waiting room, clean atmosphere, entire clinic shares the responsibility of keeping our Information confidential and private.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Insurance covers everything except 10 dollar copay until we get to IVF.
Rochester

Dr. Bhagavath always knew everything about me - my numbers , my issues, my past. He never showed up to an appointment without knowing what happened to me. He was blunt when it was needed but was a helpful ear as well. He always made me feel like he was trying everything he could to achieve a pregnancy...I needed to know the reality of the situation and he would always explain without being too harsh. He was always consulting with other doctors trying to find the best course of action. I always trusted his opinion.
My assigned nurse [at Strong Fertility Center] was an extremely nice and caring individual. With that said I had problems with her organization. She would make mistakes often; forgetting to send in prescriptions, forgetting to provide me with needed information or failing to complete things in a time sensitive matter...the other staff at the clinic always resolved it quickly and efficiently when told about these problems.
How was your experience with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath was knowledgeable and organized. I only ever wanted a constant plan and backup plan, which he always provided. He would explain everything thoroughly and answered any question we may have had. I have heard that to others he may come off as too blunt or too realistic, but this is exactly what I wanted. I needed to know the reality of the situation and he would always explain without being too harsh. He was always consulting with other doctors trying to find the best course of action. I always trusted his opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Bhagavath is extremely knowledgeable and will work hard to help you achieve a pregnancy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Describe the protocols Bala Bhagavath used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
IUI Cycle - Injectables - Gonal to stimulate - the rationale for doing an IUI cycle with me was to see how I responded to injectables. IVF Cycle # 1 - Antagonist protocol - This protocol was used because even though I had a DOR during my IUI cycle I responded extremely well to the medicine. This cycle resulted in 14 eggs , 8 mature , 5 fertilized. 2 embryos were transferred on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 2 - Microdose flare protocol - This protocol was used because the previous cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. This cycle resulted in 11 eggs , 6 mature , 5 fertilized - freeze all cycle. 3 embryos were thawed and transferred a month later on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 3 - Antagonist protocol - This protocol was used because it resulted in a good number of eggs in my first cycle. This cycle resulted in 12 eggs , 7 mature , 6 fertilized. 3 embryos were transferred on day 3. Negative pregnancy test. IVF Cycle # 4 - Antagonist protocol w, Human Growth Hormone - This protocol was used because poor egg quality was attributed to my previous failed IVF cycles. This cycle resulted in 14 eggs , 9 mature , 9 fertilized. 3 embryos were transferred on day 3. Positive pregnancy test - singleton ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Connie)
My assigned nurse was an extremely nice and caring individual. With that said I had problems with her organization. She would make mistakes often; forgetting to send in prescriptions, forgetting to provide me with needed information or failing to complete things in a time sensitive matter.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I was pleased with Strong fertility clinic as a whole. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The other doctors at the practice were always wonderful. I felt comfortable with every one of them. One thing that I find amazing about Strong is that once a week all of the doctors meet as a team about EVERY single patient who is doing an IVF cycle. The doctors go over all of the information about that patient and give their opinions about protocols and next steps. This made me feel like I was getting the best care I could possibly receive. The nurse practitioner was also amazing; fast and extremely knowledgeable. She would be able to put your mind at ease in a minute and would make sure you felt completely comfortable and have all your questions answered before she would leave the room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bala Bhagavath at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
This clinic operates with IVF packages: (they let you start with one package and pay the difference between packages if your cycles result in failure) Packages Package 1 $6500 Includes 1 oocyte retrieval and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfers, or 2 frozen transfers). Package 2 $10,800 Includes 2 oocyte retrievals and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen). Package 3 $14,700 Includes 3 oocyte retrievals and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen). Services Included in Price Injection teaching visit, single trial transfer, office visits during the treatment cycle beginning with the baseline ultrasound, all ultrasounds for follicular monitoring, oocyte retrieval, surgery fees associated with oocyte retrieval, anesthesia associated with retrieval, intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), fertilization and culture of the oocytes, sperm preparation, assisted hatching if needed, embryo preparation for transfer, embryo transfer, and post-treatment consult (done within 4 months of completed treatment).
Describe Bala Bhagavath's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I was pleased that my Dr. would transfer more than 1 embryo. I wanted the best chance at achieving a pregnancy. My Dr. explained all risks associated and in the end would consult with me and make an informed decision.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Any of the things that went wrong were the result of 1 nurse. While these things never should have happened the other staff at the clinic always resolved it quickly and efficiently when told about these problems.
Bala Bhagavath
Rochester

Dr. Vitek was excellent from the moment I met her...She was incredibly kind, knowledgeable and compassionate. When I lost my son at 21 weeks pregnant to incompetent cervix Dr. Vitek called me and met with me in person to talk through everything and put me in touch with a counselor to make sure I was mentally and emotionally coping...was very kind and I never felt like I was just a number to her or to any of the staff at U of R. All of the nurses and Dr. Vitek would address me by name every time I had an office visit, phone call, or email response.
Each follicle ultrasound cost $40, each IUI cost $200, and trigger shots were $100. I don't know the exact amount we spent but it was probably close to $3,000 [at Strong Fertility Center]... There are at least 5 doctors who you may see when using Strong Fertility, but you will have a primary doctor who is "your doctor." The strength of this office is there is always a doctor available if you need to speak to someone.
Dr. Vitek was excellent from the moment I met her in October 2017. She was incredibly kind, knowledgeable and compassionate. When I lost my son at 21 weeks pregnant to incompetent cervix Dr. Vitek called me and met with me in person to talk through everything and put me in touch with a counselor to make sure I was mentally and emotionally coping.
Ask questions, it doesn't matter if you ask a nurse or Dr. Vitek any of the staff will do their best to answer your questions.
Dr. Vitek was very kind and I never felt like I was just a number to her or to any of the staff at U of R. All of the nurses and Dr. Vitek would address me by name every time I had an office visit, phone call, or email response.
I started my first cycle with Dr. Vitek in October 2017. She diagnosed me with PCOS and we decided to use letrozole for treatment. I started on 5mg and when my follicles were not growing she upped the dosage to 7.5mg. We did Ovidrel trigger shot after some follicle growth in October with timed intercourse. In November we did 7.5mg of letrozole cycle days 3-7, the trigger shot after I had a mature follicle, and timed intercourse. In December we did 7.5mg of letrozole cycle days 3-7 again, then on Christmas Eve on cycle day 17 I was ovulating on my own so we did an IUI that day becuase it was a Saturday and when I got home we did the trigger shot just to give an extra boost. On January 8th I found out after my end of cycle blood pregnancy test that I was pregnant. I was due with my son September 14th, 2018. Unfortunately on May 8th I went into preterm labor due to an incompetent cervix at 21 weeks 3 days gestation and my son did not survive. My period returned and we started letrozole again, our cycle in June 2018 we started with 5mg of letrozole and after no follicle growth moved up to 7.5mg of letrozole. I had an 18mm follicle and we did an IUI with trigger shot. I had an extended cycle and our next round was in August. We did 7.5mg of letrozole cycle days 4-8 and with a mature follicle on the left did the trigger shot and IUI. Both IUI's post the loss of our son were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Adrienne )
The nurse i originally did all communication with was Adrienne and she was wonderful. I spoke with Adrienne multiple times from October 2017-January 2018. She was helpful, responsive, and caring. In May 2018 I was reached out to by multiple nurses and did not have the same experience as I did with Adrienne, most were nice but there we a few who were cold when speaking to and showed little caring about anything they called about. Overall the nursing staff is good, but there are some who could be more compassionate.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong Fertility is part of University of Rochester and they partner with regular OB/GYN offices throughout upstate NY and see a lot of people. There are at least 5 doctors who you may see when using Strong Fertility, but you will have a primary doctor who is "your doctor." The strength of this office is there is always a doctor available if you need to speak to someone. The one weakness my husband didn't like about the office is the sperm donation room is not sound proof so bring headphones if your husband has to give a sample during a weekday so he doesn't hear everyone in the hallway while he's trying to provide a quality sample for procedures. Overall the staff at Strong will make you feel welcome and comfortable with every visit.
Each follicle ultrasound cost $40, each IUI cost $200, and trigger shots were $100. I don't know the exact amount we spent but it was probably close to $3,000.
Rochester

When I met with Dr. Vitek she had a great, warm bedside manner. She listened to me when I explained my case - that I wanted to be a single mother by choice... Based on that information, which included a very low AMH and a higher than normal FSH, and my stated desire to use some kind of fertility drugs to help the process, she suggested using Gonal F with follicle monitoring via ultrasound.... After the IUI was performed, I used Crinone progesterone gel to assist with the possible pregnancy.
I have really liked all the staff at the office.... Debra Werzinger is the PA who I saw the most, especially for the ultrasound monitoring and she is terrific. Very warm and carefully explained everything I wanted to know and even things I didn't ask about.... My IUIs were done by a nurse and a physician (on the weekend, a physician does them) and they were both very knowledgable, relaxed, and took me through the process by explaining everything that was happening.
I honestly didn't find any weaknesses, but I also only met with her once. Though she did reassure me during that appointment that even if I didn't see her during visits, she was behind the scenes managing my care and making decisions. And so far that has been true. NPs that I have seen and asked questions of have relayed information from her regularly. I certainly feel comfortable that if I wanted to meet with her again, she would be fine with that. In fact, if I'm not pregnant after my current cycle, we will meet again and decide on next steps.
Make Dr. Vitek aware of your concerns or apprehensions about the process. If you need any accommodations made, let her know. In my experience, all of my concerns were addressed and if I needed assistance with anything, it was provided. She was happy to answer questions, even when I felt like they might be silly. She was more than willing to be very detailed in her answers, which I really appreciated.
When I met with Dr. Vitek she had a great, warm bedside manner. She listened to me when I explained my case - that I wanted to be a single mother by choice - and had a plan ready that we could use to move forward. She had clearly already done her research on my referral and even had a report from my appt with a high risk OB that detailed treatment suggestions while trying to conceive and if I did get pregnant, which she shared with me. I wanted a more aggressive plan than my OB had given me (not the high-risk one, the regular one) and she was on board with sensible solutions.
I had bloodwork and an HSG done in the cycle right before my appointment with Dr. Vitek. Based on that information, which included a very low AMH and a higher than normal FSH, and my stated desire to use some kind of fertility drugs to help the process, she suggested using Gonal F with follicle monitoring via ultrasound. Then, when the ultrasound showed one or more good follicles were nearly developed, I triggered ovulation with Ovidrel. She discussed all the possible side effects, including the possibility of multiples. After the IUI was performed, I used Crinone progesterone gel to assist with the possible pregnancy. Though I didn't get pregnant that time, I felt great about the process and had three follicles develop. I'm in the midst of the second round doing the same protocol - I just did the second medicated IUI today. Since it will be my 4th IUI overall, we will meet and reevaluate to see if we are doing the best protocol for me if I do not get pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Debra Werzinger, PA)
I have really liked all the staff at the office. Initially I was a little put off my one of the nurses who does both the intake (blood pressure, weight, etc.) and draws blood for each appointment. She seemed so business-like that it bordered on being cold. However, after a few appointments, I found that she was a little more relaxed and she even joked around a bit. I think she's just so busy that sometimes that side of her personality doesn't shine through. Debra Werzinger is the PA who I saw the most, especially for the ultrasound monitoring and she is terrific. Very warm and carefully explained everything I wanted to know and even things I didn't ask about. Her positivity is infectious - though she does present a realistic picture of what is going on (she's not trying to overstate things that are going well). My IUIs were done by a nurse and a physician (on the weekend, a physician does them) and they were both very knowledgable, relaxed, and took me through the process by explaining everything that was happening.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I've described a lot of strengths in talking about the staff. I appreciate that even if I see a different PA, nurse, or physician I feel like they are all working well as a team. The office feels like it works like clockwork. My appointments all begin on time or only a few minutes after the stated appointment time - crucial when you are trying to fit a lot of appointments in and explain them to a boss who you don't want to discuss your attempts to conceive with until you are successful. I was a little caught off guard when a nurse contacted me to let me know that because I was using donor sperm I would need to talk to a counselor. It was the only thing I wasn't very happy with about the office. It made me feel somewhat singled out because I'm trying to conceive in a less traditional fashion. I knew I would do whatever I needed to though, so I went to the appointment. The counselor was very nice and acknowledged, without prompting, that the appt might seem a little unfair to me. We talked about it a bit and I felt better. I also appreciated that some patients might not have thought through everything as obsessively as me (!) and really need an appt to help them make some plans. I was feeling good about my plans as we walked through my decisions and talked about future plans. All in all, I was fine with the appt, but wished I had a bit more heads up about it.
My insurance covers IUIs and any associated procedures like ultrasound and medications, like the Gonal F and Ovidrel. Consequently, I was only required to pay my specialist copay ($25) for appointments and $175 copay for all of the medications. Since I was using donor sperm, I also paid about $850/IUI as that is NOT covered. That cost was not paid to Dr. Vitek's office as I used an outside donor sperm bank.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Erin Masaba] always takes the time to answer my questions and calls me back immediately. She’s incredible... fter feeling unsure I called Dr. Masaba and asked her opinion in surgery. She came into the iffyearly to oerform an HSG test and took the time to fully explain why she disagruwith surgery...I felt confident when I left her. Dr. Masaba’s practice is more expensive than this other clinic, but after that visit I switched back to Dr. Masaba for my 3rd cycle of IVF.
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them [at Strong Fertility] is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care... We did 8 rounds of IVF. 2 were in clomid and the rest were Gonal F at 76-150 units. For our IVF cycles we used Gonal F at 150, Ganirellix and Menopur at 75 units. Our frozen transfer we did a natural cycle.
Dr. Masaba is the newest doctor at the practice, but she is so educated and makes me feel like she truly understands and knows what I’m going through. When I went to switch to a different clinic after over a year and two failed IVF cycles, the other clinic made ne nervous and I didn’t feel a connection, they also pushed surgeries that I feel they push on everyone...the care seemed cookie cutter not taylored to my needs. After feeling unsure I called Dr. Masaba and asked her opinion in surgery. She came into the iffyearly to oerform an HSG test and took the time to fully explain why she disagruwith surgery...I felt confident when I left her. Dr. Masaba’s practice is more expensive than this other clinic, but after that visit I switched back to Dr. Masaba for my 3rd cycle of IVF.
Don’t let her age and newness fool you, she is amazing!
She always takes the time to answer my questions and calls me back immediately. She’s incredible
Describe the protocols Erin Masaba used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
The nurses are my favorite, they know me by name and feel like family!
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care.
IUI was covered by insurance. My deductible was $2000. IVF with my current cycle is $12,000 plus the cost of meds

2018, Consult
To start with she was very forward with us and said she [Dr. Erin Masaba] wouldn't make a plan for us unless she diagnosed both of us, I was fine, my husband was infertile which we already knew going into it. But the last Dr never sent my husband to a urologist they just said his count and everything is low you need to go through IVF. But Dr. Masaba sent him to a Dr to get more answers and said she wanted to know everything before we went through IVF again to make it successful. She sat with my for over an hour for our consultation and answered all of my questions without making me feel rushed, and she continues to answer questions whenever I have them right away.
The clinic [Univ of Rochester/Strong] is very honest with you about treatment working for you or not, they won't take just anybody because they don't feel its right to take your money and get your hopes up if they do not see it working for you. The book up fast so be patient. But they are one of the best hospitals out there and have been a much better clinic than our last one so far and we have only just begun,
She has been very straight forward and honest about everything. She has answered all my questions no matter how many I had or how stupid they sounded. I love that the clinic strictly goes off proven research and she doesn't believe in doing anything if it "might" help, only if research has proven for it to help the procedure.
Be patient. She doesn't like to rush things and takes it step by step, and she books up fast so that could put you behind on your timing as well. It will be worth it, but be patient.
I have only just started my care with Dr. Masaba, but so far she has been 10x better than the last clinic we were at where we had 2 unsuccessful IVFs. To start with she was very forward with us and said she wouldn't make a plan for us unless she diagnosed both of us, I was fine, my husband was infertile which we already knew going into it. But the last Dr never sent my husband to a urologist they just said his count and everything is low you need to go through IVF. But Dr. Masaba sent him to a Dr to get more answers and said she wanted to know everything before we went through IVF again to make it successful. She sat with my for over an hour for our consultation and answered all of my questions without making me feel rushed, and she continues to answer questions whenever I have them right away.
I have not completely started treatment yet, but I have had my consultation and baseline with her, and my husband has seen his Dr. We are going to go through IVF with Dr. Masaba and she has explained the procedure to me. I will start a month on birth control, take stim meds for retrieval and then hopefully do a fresh transfer, if not freeze and transfer the following month.
I have only had one ultrasound visit so far, but the nurse was very polite and professional.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic is very honest with you about treatment working for you or not, they won't take just anybody because they don't feel its right to take your money and get your hopes up if they do not see it working for you. The book up fast so be patient. But they are one of the best hospitals out there and have been a much better clinic than our last one so far and we have only just begun,
There are many different packages that the clinic offers but we went with a package for $6800 for one retrieval and 2 transfers. And then the cost of meds.
Describe Erin Masaba's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
She is very confident in eSET, but if you ask to do 2 she will tell you the risk and let you make the decision, but will not do more than 2 under the age of 35.
Rochester

Dr. Vitek made me feel comfortable, safe and secure during the procedure. She modified my treatment plan as I was visiting from out of state for the summer and was willing to work with me in any and all ways. She was gentle and kind throughout...I used Clomid 50mg to increase egg production and timed IUI. All of my tests are normal therefore the protocol was basic. I was not successful this cycle.
Strong Infertility was a wonderful clinic for me. I am currently taking a break from treatment but plan to continue with them when I start again. The environment was comfortable, clean and calming. I felt a decrease in anxiety and stress when transferring my treatment to this team...The staff at Strong Infertility was efficient, organized and compassionate. My nursing time took an incredible amount of time to walk me through the process and ensure that I knew all of the steps and procedures.
Ask questions and do your research as you should during this process with any RE.
Dr. Vitek was very warm, supportive and personable. She engaged and communicated gently and effectively with my significant other and I.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
IUI was approximately 400 with sperm isolation. Consultation was approximatelly 100.
I did not use this method.

Investor
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Vitek is very knowledgeable and compassionate although I feel she could have been more direct. For example I didn’t realize how low my AMH was and how it could impact getting pregnant. I saw in Dr. Vitek’s notes later on that she recommended being aggressive given my low AMH but she never expressed this concern with me directly. ... We did two rounds of clomid then because my AMH was low Dr. Vitek rexommened jumping into IVF
Strong [Fertility Center] is the best of the best when it comes to their facility and latest technology. However, they did not do a good job communicating costs. For example I was told a round of IVF would be covered under my insurance. I ended up paying close to 10k out of pocket which was not expected. ... The nurses felt like family to me. They were SO kind and compassionate.
Dr. Vitek is very knowledgeable and compassionate although I feel she could have been more direct. For example I didn’t realize how low my AMH was and how it could impact getting pregnant. I saw in Dr. Vitek’s notes later on that she recommended being aggressive given my low AMH but she never expressed this concern with me directly. However I would still recommend Dr. Vitek.
Ask blunt questions
I felt Dr. Vitek genuinely cared about me
We did two rounds of clomid then because my AMH was low Dr. Vitek rexommened jumping into IVF which I agreed with.
The nurses felt like family to me. They were SO kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong is the best of the best when it comes to their facility and latest technology. However, they did not do a good job communicating costs. For example I was told a round of IVF would be covered under my insurance. I ended up paying close to 10k out of pocket which was not expected.
I had insurance that covered some of the costs of clomid and IVF fresh transfer but I ended up paying 10k out of pocket
Rochester
She [Dr. Erin Masaba] was friendly and warm. She took time to answer all my questions and make me feel comfortable. I do wish I had seen her at more appointments. She did not perform my egg retrieval or transfer. After we started the IVF process I did not see her again.... The nurses [at Strong Fertility Center- Univ of Rochester]were great and I always Felt well taken care of... There was a doctor who performed one of my ultrasounds that was very cold and I requested not to see him again. He was very discouraging and I cried The entire way home from this appointment.
The nurses [at Strong Fertility Center- Univ of Rochester]were great and I always Felt well taken care of... There was a doctor who performed one of my ultrasounds that was very cold and I requested not to see him again. He was very discouraging and I cried The entire way home from this appointment. I do Not believe he should have access to other doctors patients with the attitude he has.
She was friendly and warm. She took time to answer all my questions and make me feel comfortable. I do wish I had seen her at more appointments. She did not perform my egg retrieval or transfer. After we started the IVF process I did not see her again.
Skip IUI and save money.
I never felt like a number. De. Masaba was great.
The nurses were great and I always Felt well taken care of

2014 - 2017, Successful
I loved working with Dr B. [Bala Bhagavath] He thoroughly explained every step and our chances of conceiving and was open and honest if he didn’t think something had a good chance of working if we wanted to try it anyways. He seemed invested in his patients and was happy for their success and disappointed if something turned out negatively.
One of my frozen embryo transfers [at Strong Fertility] was canceled due to a bad response to the medications. My body stopped responding to the meds so they decided to cancel the protocol and start over with a different drug. Somehow my canceled transfer never got relayed to the lab and the embryologist accidentally thawed the embryo I had originally planned on transferring. My doctor called me with this news and explained what happened and told me this had never happened before and they were able to re-freeze the embryo and he was 99% sure it was fine. I ended up deciding to transfer that embryo and another one for my next transfer and only one stuck. I’ll never know if it was because one was frozen twice and thawed by accident.
I loved working with Dr B. He thoroughly explained every step and our chances of conceiving and was open and honest if he didn’t think something had a good chance of working if we wanted to try it anyways. He seemed invested in his patients and was happy for their success and disappointed if something turned out negatively.
Trust the process.
Personal phone calls from my doctor with good or bad news. Always responsive to my emails with questions. Took the time during appointments to answer questions and explain everything to me.
With having PCOS, I had to stim slow and steady to avoid “frying” my eggs. I produced a lot of eggs during my IVF egg retrieval but not all were good quality, which is to be expected with PCOS. He recommended we do ICSI since my husband also had low sperm count and low motility. All of our 24 mature eggs fertilized and by day 5 we only had 5 embryos to freeze. We had to do a “freeze all” because my progesterone shot up and Dr B explained how that could increase any risk if I did get pregnant from a transfer. So we let my body and hormones get a rest and prepared for a frozen embryo transfer. I had thin lining issues and my first transfer got pushed back about 5 days due to an increase of estrogen and it ended up working out last minute.
Most were good communicators and able to work with last minute scheduling conflicts since you’re needing to be seen almost daily but don’t know exactly when until you are seen. Good with follow up calls and detailed information with your results and next steps.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strength: usually timely, never had to wait too long to be seen, not overbooked. Detailed plans, happy to answer any questions and provide more information. Weakness: could be slightly more organized but not a big weakness of theirs.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Quick, efficient and detailed.
We were very fortunate and had some insurance coverage. We still had to pay thousands of dollars but it could have been worse.
He recommended we transfer one embryo at a time. We did not listen to his advice and of the two transfers we did, we transferred 4 embryos (2 each time) and both times had a singleton pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
One of my frozen embryo transfers was canceled due to a bad response to the medications. My body stopped responding to the meds so they decided to cancel the protocol and start over with a different drug. Somehow my canceled transfer never got relayed to the lab and the embryologist accidentally thawed the embryo I had originally planned on transferring. My doctor called me with this news and explained what happened and told me this had never happened before and they were able to re-freeze the embryo and he was 99% sure it was fine. I ended up deciding to transfer that embryo and another one for my next transfer and only one stuck. I’ll never know if it was because one was frozen twice and thawed by accident.
Bala Bhagavath
Rochester

[Dr. Masaba's] communication was wonderful, the directions were very clear and she actually cared enough about myself and my husband to get us through it all...I was able to call or write her any time I had a question. She had great bedside manner and was very punctual.
[The Strong Fertility Center is] always booked so getting a new patient appointment was rough. Once I got in they were flexible with your schedule and even offered weekend hours. It is a friendly office space and they do blood draws on site which is nice
Although I didnt see her every visit, and there were times I had other doctors, the directions were always clear to what needed to be done. I was able to call or write her any time I had a question. She had great bedside manner and was very punctual. She communicated everything and why we were having what test every time I saw her. I cant wait to work with her again.
Call ahead because shes a popular doctor and worth any wait you would have getting in!
I was a human because by the time I left my first appointment the communication was wonderful, the directions were very clear and she actually cared enough about myself and my husband to get us through it all
We started with timed intercourse after blood work and seman analysis were done. Once we pinned down the issues we did 2 clomid medicated cycles. One with intercourse the other with iui injection. Neither of those worked so we did 3 more iui injections with Gonal F for me, and clomid for my husband to boost his sperm. The third time took! We did increase the doses of the gonal f as time went on until our positive.
Everyone of them greeted you with a smile, and were always friendly. They worked with you if you needed to get in at a different time and always had such empathy if you had a negative test. It's like they were your full support system. And they made the every 3 day blood draws very smooth!
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They are always booked so getting a new patient appointment was rough. Once I got in they were flexible with your schedule and even offered weekend hours. It is a friendly office space and they do blood draws on site which is nice so you dont have to go all over the place.
My insurance covered a lot so I was only paying 25 dollar copays. I know iui averages around 3000 there?

IUI With Other Docs
One of the best things that Dr. Queenan pushed for is getting the genetic testing done on the embryos to see what embryos are good and which ones will definitely not implant. This saved an unbelievable amount of heartache due to failed implantations and resulted in a live birth on the first embryo transfer.... Great bedside manner, compassion, empathy and personalization are second only to Dr. Queenan’s vast knowledge and experience with IVF.
Appointments and getting in when you need to was a piece of cake. Nurses and reception are always and easily reachable by phone. The facility and rooms are clean, professional and warm. The clinic exudes experience.... After the first few months of visits the nursing staff seemed like a group of friends that you’re just going to hang out with for a bit. They knew you by name. They cared about what you were going through.
There is no other clinic and no other doctor I would ever want to do IVF with. We are starting a second IVF attempt in the coming months. Dr. Queenan, along with all the staff at the Strong infertility clinic were wonderful. Success rates and experience are unmatched anywhere else in the NY area. We had a successful live birth from our first embryo transfer of our first IVF attempt.
Follow his recommendations. He knows what he is doing.
After the first few months of visits the nursing staff seemed like a group of friends that you’re just going to hang out with for a bit. They knew you by name. They cared about what you were going through. You can tell they love their job and this is exactly where they want to be.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
IVF package including stimulation and egg retrieval and transfers: $6500. PGS genetic testing: $3500. Medications: $1000-$2000.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
4 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Hoeger was there to listen to me. She was my first experience with fertility treatments and she was very professional and compassionate. She took the time to answer all of my questions and was great at explaining everything, including the transvaginal ultrasounds which were a first for me and very confusing at first but she was patient and showed myself and my mom everything we were looking at on the screen.
The [Strong Fertility Center] clinic was great during my three IUI procedures and they were very willing to listen to all my questions and answer them with great patience. I felt like they took the time to get to know me and my situation. They were inclusive of my mother who was with me at all of my appointments...The nursing staff was excellent.
Dr. Hoeger was very patient and kind. She took the time to listen and explain things which was especially important considering it was my first experience with fertility treatments. She was even very inclusive of my mother who was with me at all of my appointments.
Definitely a great doctor and I highly recommend her!
The nursing staff was excellent.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic was great during my three IUI procedures and they were very willing to listen to all my questions and answer them with great patience. I felt like they took the time to get to know me and my situation. They were inclusive of my mother who was with me at all of my appointments.
Kathleen Hoeger