Acupuncture is not offered
Acupuncture is not offered

9160 Carothers Parkway
Franklin, TN 37067

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
I didn't meet Dr Montville until he was performing my 3rd IUI. This clinic has two doctors (Dr Montville and Dr Ruman) plus a nurse practitioner. Before my 3rd IUI, I interacted with either Dr Ruman or the nurse practitioner. Dr Montville was pleasant and answered my questions, though did not seem familiar with the previous two IUIs.
The [Tennessee Fertility Institute - Franklin] clinic's strength is that we were able to get a consult and begin treatment very quickly. Our initial consult was within 2 weeks of calling. The clinic's weakness is communication...Nursing staff have all been kind, friendly, and helpful. I do struggle with the communication and instructions.
How was your experience with Christopher Montville at Tennessee Fertility Institute?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Montville at Tennessee Fertility Institute?
Take notes, write down your questions ahead of time. They don't volunteer a lot of information unless you ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Montville at Tennessee Fertility Institute?
Doctors/nurses did not seem familiar with my file beyond what we were immediately doing today at that appointment. They would ask me what cycle day I was on, they would ask me how much Clomid they had prescribed me. On the third round of IUI, the doctor explained a treatment they did to the sperm sample and I asked "did we do that for the previous two rounds?" and his answer was "I don't know, I would have to check." That answer seems to come up a lot.
Describe the protocols Christopher Montville used in your cycles at Tennessee Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
We are dealing with secondary infertility. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility after some testing. The testing we did was a sperm analysis, a blood test for hormone levels, and an HSG, which all came back normal. So we started with 3 rounds of IUI. The first two rounds, I was on Clomid, and the 3rd round I was on Letrozole. We switched to Letrozole because I was producing 3 eggs on Clomid. For all 3 rounds we used Ovidrel for the trigger shot. Then I was on Progesterone for 2 weeks following the insemination. The first two IUIs did not result in pregnancy. The results from the third IUI is TBD.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
Nursing staff have all been kind, friendly, and helpful. I do struggle with the communication and instructions. Each round of IUI the instructions are just a little different. For example -- take a pregnancy test 12 days after your IUI vs 14 days. Start Progesterone the night of the IUI vs the next day. I understand there are probably ranges in the protocol, but it's confusing for me to keep track month to month. Twice they haven't told me what to do with the trigger shot until I flagged someone down after my appointment was over.
Describe your experience with Tennessee Fertility Institute.
The clinic's strength is that we were able to get a consult and begin treatment very quickly. Our initial consult was within 2 weeks of calling. The clinic's weakness is communication. I had a full conversation with the doctor about how my IUI was going to fall over a trip we had over Thanksgiving, and so we decided to wait a month until Christmas when we had no plans and could be flexible. Nobody thought to mention to me that the lab closes for the last 2 weeks of the year for cleaning. Since then, there are multiple little things that I have to double check or follow up on. Also, this is so silly but there is nowhere for me to put my things when I'm in an exam room. Some rooms have a hook on the wall, but not all of them. I'm supposed to get undressed from the waist down and put my purse, shoes, coat, and pants on the floor?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Montville at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
Most of the treatments we've done so far have been covered by insurance. We are paying a 10% coinsurance. So far we have paid about $70/round of IUI for medication, and $20/round of IUI for the procedure.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
I had a full conversation with the doctor about how my IUI was going to fall over a trip we had over Thanksgiving, and so we decided to wait a month until Christmas when we had no plans and could be flexible. Nobody thought to mention to me that the lab closes for the last 2 weeks of the year for cleaning. If I had known about the lab closing, we would have made it work in November. Instead, we had to wait until January.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Montville is a good doctor, but he's not for everyone...he does give you direct 1:1 attention in comparison to other clinics where you see staff instead of the doctor...However, the more I was there and the more I took charge of and advocated for myself with my own treatment, the more I felt dismissed...If you are older, like to do your own research and advocate for yourself, or find some protocols like PGT-A testing controversial and concerning, consider looking elsewhere.
The nurses [at Tennessee Fertility Institute] were a bit overworked and, several times, the protocols discussed in the exam room were not those conveyed to me in the follow up email message. If you are there be sure to pay attention and even right down your protocol so if you are told differently you can double check...$1050-1100 per IUI. Oral medications and progesterone were nominal through GoodRx ($5-10 per cycle), and they were able to provide a 50% off rate for the Ovidrel trigger and Gonal-F pens when injectables were used...
Overall, Dr. Montville is a good clinician. His strength is his approachable manner and he does give you direct 1:1 attention in comparison to other clinics where you see staff instead of the doctor. This is a plus. I became increasingly concerned, though, and ultimately opted to go elsewhere for two reasons. First, the more I self-advocated for and made suggestions to my own treatment (e.g. finding the same thing over and over wasn't working and small changes could be made in the IUI protocol), I was increasingly dismissed. I was also summarily and sharply corrected in a sharper tone than I would have liked when I used the wrong term accidentally a few times, which felt out of character with the above. The longer I went, I also felt with the IUI protocols they were pushing me along to just get to IVF, rather than working with my body and hormones (a situation discovered and fixed easily by my new RE). I also discovered he has very entrenched views on PGT-A testing and their clinic does not report out mosaics, which a slate of studies in recent months have called into question by showing normal live births from mosaic embryos. Lastly, they tend to recommend egg banking, even for older women, which a lot of research advocates against since older women's eggs are often way more fragile (like mine) and do not survive thawing for fertilization. To have proceeded as he was counseling me for IVF, I now know, would have not worked for my body and I would have wasted untold thousands of dollars. I'm glad I listened to my gut and went elsewhere. Dr. Montville is a good doctor, but he's not for everyone.
If you are younger or have few issues, I believe Dr. Montville will be a fine clinician for you, especially if you are looking for individual attention. If you are older, like to do your own research and advocate for yourself, or find some protocols like PGT-A testing controversial and concerning, consider looking elsewhere.
Dr. Montville has a good bedside manner and is engaging and kind in the office. Overall, I liked him for the first few IUI rounds. However, the more I was there and the more I took charge of and advocated for myself with my own treatment, the more I felt dismissed. Because I was spending a lot of time reviewing recent peer-reviewed literature (I am a researcher myself and familiar with scientific protocols), it was frustrating to be dismissed so easily when I was coming with valid questions and concerns.
Five IUIs. First using Clomid and no trigger, with the rationale of starting slow and easy due no identifiable fertility issues (I ovulate on my own regularly). Clomid caused a cyst, so we switched to Letrozole thereafter. IUIs 2-5 with Letrozole, the fourth and fifth with low dose Gonal-F added. Only one follicle garnered each time, meaning starting as late as we did in my cycle each time meant the dominant follicle had already self-selected. One definite and two likely chemical pregnancies ending around cycle start. Assumed diagnosis was poor egg quality and chromosomal abnormalities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tennessee Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
Overall, the nursing staff was great. They were kind, responsive, and helpful. I cannot say anything but positive things here.
Describe your experience with Tennessee Fertility Institute.
The practice is rapidly growing, which I observed cause more and more hiccups over time. This did not impact me negatively for the most part, and in the office, they were willing to help (for the most part) with insurance submissions for the few things that could be billed through insurance. The managing company (Prelude), however, is a complete mess with regard to billing. I incurred visits that were billable to insurance in October and November that were not submitted until the following March. I cannot tell you the number of hours on email and phone spent to get this rectified and actually had to submit claims on my own well before Prelude ever got around to responding. Their in-house billing policies, too, are not great. For instance, I was never notified of an exorbitant fee simply to have my genetic materials transferred to another clinic--such fees should have been made clear at the outset. Otherwise, all the on-site staff I met with were kind and friendly and seemed fairly well organized.
$1050-1100 per IUI. Oral medications and progesterone were nominal through GoodRx ($5-10 per cycle), and they were able to provide a 50% off rate for the Ovidrel trigger and Gonal-F pens when injectables were used, which was appreciated.
Describe Christopher Montville's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
Single embryo preferred; multiples can be transferred depending on protocol/situation and ASRM recommendations.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
The nurses were a bit overworked and, several times, the protocols discussed in the exam room were not those conveyed to me in the follow up email message. If you are there be sure to pay attention and even right down your protocol so if you are told differently you can double check.
Franklin

I felt Dr. Session didn’t explain the processes well or our options. She lets you guide your treatment and at the time we were new to infertility and had very little information.... And now after I have researched fertility treatments I wish she would not have spent so much time with us just doing timed intercourse and a low dosage of femara or clomid.... I feel like we wasted 8 months of valuable time because I was 36 during this time.
The nurses were great. They were very compassionate and communicated well.... Strengths is the clinic [Tennessee Fertility Institute] was nice and new. It was also nice to be able to a see the doctor every visit because it was a smaller clinic. Weakness is the wait times were long because the doctor sees everyone and she’s the only doctor there. And also Dr. Session was just not the right doctor for us because of the lack of communication and knowledge she provided us.
How was your experience with Donna Session at Tennessee Fertility Institute?
I felt Dr. Session didn’t explain the processes well or our options. She lets you guide your treatment and at the time we were new to infertility and had very little information. She’s quiet, but so am I so for this process we did not make the best match. I’m not saying she’s not a good doctor; she just wasn’t the best fit for me. And now after I have researched fertility treatments I wish she would not have spent so much time with us just doing timed intercourse and a low dosage of femara or clomid. We did this for 8 months (1 month we had a cyst so could not try, 1 month I was unable to try because I could not get my medication refilled due to their office being closed during the holidays so I was unable to get the ultrasound done to get the medication.) I feel like we wasted 8 months of valuable time because I was 36 during this time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Donna Session at Tennessee Fertility Institute?
Make sure to do research prior to meeting her so you can ask any questions you want and also so you don’t stay in the dark about important information because she did not give us the information we needed to make the best decisions about our treatments. Again I think she took a more cautious approach and I felt maybe I was too old to be spending so much time on timed intercourse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Donna Session at Tennessee Fertility Institute?
Dr. Session is not very personable and we felt like in our first visit with her she just spoke to us like we were doctors ourselves and we felt she didn’t explain things well.
Describe the protocols Donna Session used in your cycles at Tennessee Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
We did timed intercourse and I took either femara or clomid each cycle. I would go in for an ultrasound to check for cysts before I was given the medication.
The nurses were great. They were very compassionate and communicated well.
Describe your experience with Tennessee Fertility Institute.
Strengths is the clinic was nice and new. It was also nice to be able to a see the doctor every visit because it was a smaller clinic. Weakness is the wait times were long because the doctor sees everyone and she’s the only doctor there. And also Dr. Session was just not the right doctor for us because of the lack of communication and knowledge she provided us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Donna Session at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
I only had ultrasounds there to check for cysts which were around $180
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Tennessee Fertility Institute.
I just felt the doctor did not give us the appropriate information we needed to make informed decisions as new fertility patients and she wasted too much time on less aggressive treatments for someone my age.
Donna Session
Franklin

He [Dr. Christopher Montville] was kind and thorough and treated us as individuals and not like just another statistic. He went out of his way to make sure we knew we were important to them there as people, first and foremost. He takes the time to make sure we are comfortable, and is caring in his approach. I have had several friends who agree they had a great experience with him and his staff at Tennessee Fertility.
Tennessee Fertility Institute is great. It is smaller and allows for more personal service. Nashville Fertility Institute is so Large and you see a different nurse every time. Tennessee you see the same doctor and nurse every time. Tennessee could benefit from one more procedural room for IUI.. seemed they only have one.... Hey likes to use Letrozole for egg stimulation during IUI. He said it did not matter to wait 24 or 36 hours after ovulation induction.
He was kind and thorough and treated us as individuals and not like just another statistic. He went out of his way to make sure we knew we were important to them there as people, first and foremost. He takes the time to make sure we are comfortable, and is caring in his approach. I have had several friends who agree they had a great experience with him and his staff at Tennessee Fertility.
He will take great care of you and will treat you and your unique situation, and you will not feel like a statistic.
He went out of his way to make my first experience special. He called me by my name several times throughout the visit, and once more, to say goodbye as I left his office. I could tell he wanted my husband and I to feel important, and not just a number. This was at the Tennessee Fertility Clinic. He left Nashville Fertility because of this issue with patients (treating like numbers).
Hey likes to use Letrozole for egg stimulation during IUI. He said it did not matter to wait 24 or 36 hours after ovulation induction. He waits a full two weeks to take pregnancy test. Because of our age and that I have a high ovarian reserve, he highly recommends IVF. We will be starting this treatment in the Winter.
Friendly, approachable, efficient.