Genetic counseling: Offered
South Austin
5000 Davis Lane
Austin, TX 78749
512-451-0149
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Texas Fertility Center to a friend?

2019 - 2020
We discussed the results of our genetic testing and our choices regarding testing potential embryos [with Dr. Lisa Hansard]...strongly advises against multiple embryo transfers as they are riskier...I often find myself overwhelmed during checkups when my measurements and next steps are called out and documented while I'm still sans pants. Dr. Hansard is friendly and knows my case but frequently I forget my questions because the appointment is quick and I feel vulnerable while undressed.
clinic [Texas Fertility Center] strongly advises against multiple embryo transfers as they are riskier...The team of doctors and nurses are very fluid and easily pick up treatment appointments when I have to see someone other than my primary. (My choice - I tend to stick to my local office instead of traveling.) The whole office had an amazing and thorough pandemic response plan that was communicated in multiple ways and places. This office has done everything they could to make sure we (patients) could continue our care. I would love if they had a patient portal where I could access my billing records, care plan, and appointments online.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
I completely agree that Dr. Hansard is very knowledgeable and confident and I usually feel encouraged after meeting her. At the same time the efficiency doesn't leave a whole lot of room for follow up questions on your care plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
Be prepared. Take a notebook to jot down your appt notes, next steps and questions. Infertility care is a rollercoaster; waiting to start, the slow climb up, the free fall followed by corkscrew turns. You'll appreciate the record of follicle sizes, uterine lining, etc.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Lisa Hansard used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
At our initial consultation Dr. Hansard reviewed my file from another doctor; I had already started some of the basic blood work and testing. She suggested a continuing the supplements I was on to assist with my egg quality and balancing my hormones and continuing with my medications. I was sent for additional bloodwork that testing my FSH, AMH, Estradiol, and LH to give a more complete picture of my ovarian reserve. Then I was sent for an xray that would look at my uterus and fallopian tubes to rule out any mechanical issues. My other half was sent for a sperm analysis that ruled out any male factor infertility. We started out with 3 IUI's with 5 mg of Femara on CD3-CD7. While waiting for our next steps consultation we asked for a 4th IUI that had the same as the previous 3. Each of those cycles resulted in 3-4 total follicles with at least 1 if not 2 dominant follicles; unfortunately no pregnancies. During our IVF consultation Dr. Hansard gave us an overview of how I would be on BCP, then follicle stimulating hormones, a ovulation inducing medication, followed by retrieval and then a frozen embryo transfer. We discussed the results of our genetic testing and our choices regarding testing potential embryos. We thought it was a very good plan but honestly, COVID changed the landscape of our finances and we opted for an additional IUI with follistm injections & an ovidrel trigger. We had better success; my lead follicle was much larger earlier in my cycle - ultimately it was a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The staff there is work great together. They communicate with each other and respond to my calls/voicemails on the same day. Convenient appointments have been fairly easy for me to come by.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center.
$350 New Patient Consult $250 Baseline & check up for follicle measuring $220 for IUI $240 for sperm wash $ 10ish for femara prescription $250.00 for 300 units of follistim $197.00 for Ovidrel $97.00 for progesterone suppositories
Describe Lisa Hansard's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Fertility Center.
My doctor and clinic strongly advises against multiple embryo transfers as they are riskier.
Central Austin

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center.

IUI, Donor Sperm
Before we begin IUI, Dr. Hansard started me (as I will be carrying) with prenatal genetic testing, an ovarian reserve assessment, and a couple other blood tests (including thyroid and CMV) to understand my baseline. She recommended expanded genetic testing once we had chosen a donor...has spent quite a bit of quality time with my wife and I, during initial consult and appointments that have followed. She's gotten to know our story and our priorities in starting our family. She's a very attentive listener, cares to make sure we understand each step, and speaks knowledgeably/directly on what the plan moving forward will be.
We are a same-sex couple, so we are relying on donor sperm and IUI [protocol at Texas Fertility Center]...[the nurse is] Efficient, warm and someone I can trust to hear back from within 24 hours. It can feel awkward divulging intimate details about ovulation or menstruation to someone you hardly know, but Rebecca makes me feel comfortable with everything, like a friend would...The office we visit is centrally located if you're in Austin. Friendly staff, easy to schedule/re-schedule. Facilities are nice. Would recommend making your appointments first thing in the morning, as they do get crowded and can tend to run behind later in the day. (Have waited 30 minutes to an hour past appointment time to be seen.)
IUI, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Hansard, though incredibly busy, has taken her time with us as patients. That's invaluable. She prescribed a straight-forward plan for prenatal testing, and once all results were in, we had another consult to decide on "next steps." She has been up front and a clear communicator, while maintaining an incredibly warm demeanor. Trust her expertise immeasurably.
Trust her. Take notes while she's speaking. Don't be afraid to ask follow up questions. She will answer any questions you have.
Dr. Hansard has spent quite a bit of quality time with my wife and I, during initial consult and appointments that have followed. She's gotten to know our story and our priorities in starting our family. She's a very attentive listener, cares to make sure we understand each step, and speaks knowledgeably/directly on what the plan moving forward will be.
We are a same-sex couple, so we are relying on donor sperm and IUI. Before we begin IUI, Dr. Hansard started me (as I will be carrying) with prenatal genetic testing, an ovarian reserve assessment, and a couple other blood tests (including thyroid and CMV) to understand my baseline. She recommended expanded genetic testing once we had chosen a donor. We plan to begin our first round of IUI in a couple months, so we don't have results as of right now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
Rebecca has been one highlight of my care with Dr. Hansard. An incredibly prompt communicator. Will often leave voicemails, then follow up with an email to better outline instructions or next steps. Efficient, warm and someone I can trust to hear back from within 24 hours. It can feel awkward divulging intimate details about ovulation or menstruation to someone you hardly know, but Rebecca makes me feel comfortable with everything, like a friend would.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
TFC is fantastic. The office we visit is centrally located if you're in Austin. Friendly staff, easy to schedule/re-schedule. Facilities are nice. Would recommend making your appointments first thing in the morning, as they do get crowded and can tend to run behind later in the day. (Have waited 30 minutes to an hour past appointment time to be seen.)
To this point, my insurance coverage has been solid. I've paid out of pocket for each visit/consult ($40). Each lab visit for blood work has been approximately $25, and I've been three times. HSG was only partially covered, so I owed approximately $200 (total cost $600). This does not include the cost of donor sperm ($900/vial, recommended purchasing 4 vials).
Central Austin

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Hansard provided information and answered questions without rushing you through things. She went through steps to figure out why I wasn't able to get pregnant unlike my OB/GYN who told me to keep trying after two miscarriages. For surgery to remove a fibroid, she identified Stage 4 endo, removed it, and answered questions about it afterwards with a plan for my best chances...recommending evidence-based approaches to issues.
The post-surgery information from the clinic [Texas Fertility Center] was lacking in terms of what activities I could or could not participate in and that I needed to take post-surgery drugs at the same time every day. I was also prescribed the wrong hcg dosage shot by the nurse vs. the doctor...Egg retrieval including ICSI and PGS testing initially cost over $16,000 but the Ovation lab refunds you what doesn't occur (e.g. didn't get eggs to freeze, had less eggs for ICSI)
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
Although some of the advice may seem contrary to what you read online, she's recommending evidence-based approaches to issues.
Dr. Hansard allowed time for questions, was hopeful for the process, and when the first egg retrieval failed, explained in detail what might have gone wrong.
After surgery for removal of fibroids and stage 4 endo, she recommended to try naturally for one month, 3 IUIs, and moving on to IVF. This was based on the expectation of my endo growing back and if I didn't get pregnant right after surgery, to move on to more aggressive approaches. For my first IUI, I was on clomid but it seemed to thin my uterine lining too much so I was on femara for my last two IUIs. I had my AMH tested by a previous OB/GYN a year and a half before egg retrieval so Dr. Hansard didn't test me again. I responded poorly to the antagonist plan where my eggs were not growing quickly while doing the shots. She increased my dosage to grow more eggs but their growth slowed so that 8 eggs were retrieved, but only 3 were mature. The three fertilized but did not make it to blastocyst. She finally did the full 3 day bloodwork and found my AMH had drastically dropped from over 3 to under 1 in less than 2 years (from age 35 to 37). She put me on Coq10 and DHEA for 3 months to increase egg quality and plans to increase my dosage for the next egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Hegtvedt)
Michelle served as the IVF coordinator and was responsive to questions. I was under a previous nurse who left who was also responsive.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The clinic has availability on the weekends to account for IUI and IVF timing although it's only one doctor available on weekends. The clinic has an ultrasound machine in every room so that there isn't a wait for one room. The biggest weakness is that everything is tracked on paper or phone - there is no EHR, no patient portal, no online appointments, no text reminders. You often have to call and leave a message resulting in frequent phone tag. The initial consultation took place six weeks after scheduling while regular appointments have more availability.
Each IUI (2 ultrasounds, sperm wash, IUI) costs over $900. Egg retrieval including ICSI and PGS testing initially cost over $16,000 but the Ovation lab refunds you what doesn't occur (e.g. didn't get eggs to freeze, had less eggs for ICSI) and varies if you need additional ultrasounds from the clinic at $200 each. Each frozen embryo transfer is over $3000. Depending on the type of visit, some of the consultations were charged at $200 each.
The clinic provides an IVF orientation where they emphasized that SART recommends a single embryo transfer from frozen. Although I would prefer to transfer more, Dr. Hansard emphasized that the research doesn't show improved chances when there are additional risks with multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Texas Fertility Center.
The post-surgery information from the clinic was lacking in terms of what activities I could or could not participate in and that I needed to take post-surgery drugs at the same time every day. I was also prescribed the wrong hcg dosage shot by the nurse vs. the doctor.

4 Eggs Frozen
I tried to ask her [Dr. Hansard] to explain the results to me, and she said to contact her nurse...I ultimately had to do my own research online. This was the first of many bad experiences with Dr. Hansard...frequently provided me with contradictory information about my treatment plan, and then totally reversed course at the very last minute because either she or her nurse misread an email I'd written about my health history...a few days before my egg retrieval surgery, the nurses called to tell me that Dr. Hansard had decided to go on a last-minute vacation.
a few days before my egg retrieval surgery, the nurses [at Texas Fertility Center] called to tell me that Dr. Hansard had decided to go on a last-minute vacation. The doctor that performed my surgery, Natalie Burger, was much kinder and actually came back to the outpatient facility after I learned that my surgery had essentially failed (four eggs when we'd expected at least eight...) and took time to answer my questions and explain things to me, something Dr. Hansard never did.
4 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Hansard may be a good fit for patients who want a doctor to take complete charge and not have to think about the course of treatment they're on. If you're a patient who needs to ask questions and actively participate in your health decisions, however, I strongly advise against Dr. Hansard. First, she presents some medical information as absolute certainty when it isn't. For example, while she was emphatic that a hormonal IUD would absolutely not impact egg retrieval outcome, numerous studies (and also my ob-gyn) say the research is more mixed. I didn't learn this until it was too late for me to remove my IUD; I would have much preferred to make an informed decision based on a more nuanced presentation of the information. Second, she reacts extremely defensively and unprofessionally to even the smallest questions about treatment. For example, she told me that the hormone-stimulating medications she'd placed me on would not exacerbate my endometriosis. I asked "are you sure?" (really, that's all I said) and she responded very angrily that she "did not go to twelve years of medical school to not be sure," and that she took this question to mean that I was "challenging her education level." (Later, I received a second opinion on this question from a leading endometriosis/fertility doctor in Houston, who said that the meds Dr. Hansard had given me could, in fact, make endometriosis worse.) Before I chose Dr. Hansard as my doctor, I wrote her to say that I was a patient who needed to ask questions and do my own research as a way of coping with my health anxiety and because of my career background as a journalist/researcher. During the confrontation I just described, I reminded her of this email--I'd been very upfront about my needs as a patient, and had tried to make sure we'd be a good fit. She responded: "well, there are questions and then there are questions." She and her staff frequently provided me with contradictory information about my treatment plan, and then totally reversed course at the very last minute because either she or her nurse misread an email I'd written about my health history: The day before I was to start my birth control pills - after months of Dr. Hansard telling me that I didn't need to monitor my ovulation cycle - her nurse asked me if I had a family history of blood clots (something, of course, that they could have asked when they were developing my treatment plan). I told the nurse that my father had had a blood clot in his leg, but that I wasn't sure if it constituted a history or not and that I would check. He said his blood clot was injury-related, and didn't constitute a family history (he's a neurologist, so would know). I wrote the nurse this exact information the very next morning. Dr. Hansard changed the treatment plan anyways.... and suddenly it was a course of treatment that DID depend on my ovulation cycle, and that we were basically just guessing on. On my last visit with Dr. Hansard, during the fight I mentioned above, I told her that the treatment reversal had really shaken me up .She responded that she'd changed course because of my family's history of blood clots. I reminded her of my emails to the nurse. She looked back through my chart, seeming to read the emails, and then - instead of apologizing - said, "you should never bring up a family history of blood clots if you don't have one." Somehow, she managed to blame me for a misread email. Ultimately, a few days before my egg retrieval surgery, the nurses called to tell me that Dr. Hansard had decided to go on a last-minute vacation. The doctor that performed my surgery, Natalie Burger, was much kinder and actually came back to the outpatient facility after I learned that my surgery had essentially failed (four eggs when we'd expected at least eight...) and took time to answer my questions and explain things to me, something Dr. Hansard never did.
A lot of ob-gyns say she's the best in town.... there are other good fertility doctors in Austin and other parts of the country, though, so I would pay serious attention to your instincts and go with someone else if you're not getting a good vibe from her, and know that you need a doctor who will really talk through things with you and field your questions without taking offense.
During our first consultation, when Dr. Hansard was doing my ultrasound, she rattled off words and numbers to the nurse and never spoke to me directly. She then told me to get dressed and left the room. I assumed she would come back to tell me what everything meant, but she never did. At checkout, I tried to ask her to explain the results to me, and she said to contact her nurse. I then had to call and email the nurse a bunch of times to even learn what was on my ultrasound. Forget getting an explanation of what those numbers meant as far as fertility / egg retrieval outcome goes... I guess the nurse didn't want to scare me? I ultimately had to do my own research online. This was the first of many bad experiences with Dr. Hansard. I wish I'd listened to my instincts and gone to a different doctor, but my ob-gyn told me she was the best in town.
I don't remember, unfortunately. It's been 18 months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center.
The nurse didn't seem to understand the procedure I was undergoing, and was very cagey with me about what my test results meant. It felt like I had to play investigative reporter to get clear responses from her. While the buck ultimately stops with the physician, it may also be the case that the nurse misrepresented my medical history to Dr. Hansard, resulting in the last-minute change in medications/procedure. I ultimately asked to change nurses, and was given a nurse who was much more knowledgeable / a better communicator. I'm sorry I don't remember their names.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
They seem to have a fairly streamlined, efficient process. They're clearly a well-run clinic on the business/paperwork side of things. Doesn't make up for poor medical care, of course. Egg retrieval + storage cost ~ $15,000.
Roughly $11,000 for egg retrieval treatment + $4000 for first few years of storage.
See earlier responses.
Central Austin

Decided to move on to IVF with ICSI and PGS testing [with Dr. Kaylen Silverberg] because of our limited supply of donor sperm...We see him most visits, of course weekends are hit or miss and I think one time he was away at a conference, but otherwise, we are always booked with him. When we do see another doctor or have a question after hours, they always check with him on how he wants to proceed so that they are acting on his behalf. I feel like all of the doctors at this clinic are that way.
She [nurse at Texas Fertility Center] went through IUI with us and the clinic lets you continue into IVF with your same nurse...Lovely clinic with 2 huge and very relaxing saltwater aquariums...Always greeted by name in the clinic. Nurse phone calls, including after hours, knew who we were...Definitely schedule your consultation a month or 2 in advance to get on the books (not that it necessarily takes that long but to get a time/day that you want). Great working partners with Ovation Fertility and Austin Anesthesiology - all went smoothly and there was great communication there as well.
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
After our initial consultation, we weren't quite sure what to think of Dr. Silverberg. Very factual, extremely knowledgeable and blunt. Didn't seem to have much of a bedside manner. When we returned and began treatment and spent more time with him, we fell madly for him. He is one of the funniest docs around! And great bedside manner. His humor is very dry so he may not be for everyone but he is a great doctor! Everytime we mention who we see to another healthcare professional, they say "oh, he's the best in town!" which is very reassuring to hear! We see him most visits, of course weekends are hit or miss and I think one time he was away at a conference, but otherwise, we are always booked with him. When we do see another doctor or have a question after hours, they always check with him on how he wants to proceed so that they are acting on his behalf. I feel like all of the doctors at this clinic are that way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Enjoy his dry humor!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Kaylen Silverberg used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI #1 - gonal F injectible with Ovidrel trigger shot. Negative. He gave us a choice at where we wanted to start and we chose the big one first. Would probably do it differently next time. IUI #2a - Medications cancelled because of cyst, natural IUI. Negative IUI #2b - Clomid. Cycle cancelled because of think uterine lining. IUI #3 - Femara. Negative. IUI #4 - Femara. Negative Decided to move on to IVF with ICSI and PGS testing because of our limited supply of donor sperm. IVF 1: - FSH/Antagonist plan with birth control pills IVF 2 - Luteal Estrace/Clomid/FSH/Antagonist protocol. In process. Going well at day 10 of stims.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
We loved Megan. She went through IUI with us and the clinic lets you continue into IVF with your same nurse. Unfortunately, Megan left before our IVF cycle and we were assigned a different nurse.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Lovely clinic with 2 huge and very relaxing saltwater aquariums. I love to count the baby starfish! As the leading clinic in Austin, they are very busy. Definitely schedule your consultation a month or 2 in advance to get on the books (not that it necessarily takes that long but to get a time/day that you want). Great working partners with Ovation Fertility and Austin Anesthesiology - all went smoothly and there was great communication there as well. Nurses are quick to respond and are actually in the office later than phone hours, often answering email so you may get a response after hours. The on-call nurse (Pam) is VERY quick to respond. Check-out is easy and they always have the info needed and lab slips for the next visit all ready when you come out of the exam room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center.
Very reasonable.
Central Austin

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center.

2016 - 2020
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I saw him [Dr. Vaughn] for IVF and so far 2 eSETs. In 2016 I had my egg retrieval and he was helpful in monitoring my progress and we got 21 eggs which turned into 9 embryos...he suggested (but didn’t push) an ERA biopsy to check my receptivity...He strongly prefers eSET at least for my age group...He sees a lot of patients, so I can’t pretend he remembered my case every time. However, he has always been warm and kind when undergoing egg retrieval, transfer, or WTF appointment. He has called multiple times per failed cycle to check in on me.
I would say for the most part the clinic [Texas Fertility Center] is pretty organized. I really wish they had a patient portal, though, because there are so many documents, tests, forms, and times when you want to communicate where it would just be nice to have a centralized location...One time a nurse mistakenly added a day to September when making my protocol calendar and a friend of mine caught it...
2016 - 2020
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
I trust Dr Vaughn completely. He has been at this for so long and I fully trust his expertise. He can be blunt but also warm. He has talked me off the ledge more than one and told me to be kind in the way I speak about my body.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions. And yes he has an insanely firm handshake! But it doesn’t bother me!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Thomas Vaughn used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I saw him for IVF and so far 2 eSETs. In 2016 I had my egg retrieval and he was helpful in monitoring my progress and we got 21 eggs which turned into 9 embryos. In 2016 he transferred a frozen embryo using Crinone. That failed and he suggested (but didn’t push) an ERA biopsy to check my receptivity. The first one came back pre-receptive. He gave me the option of transferring right away with that information or of undergoing a second ERA to double check that 1 more day of crinone would work. I opted for the latter, and I came back POST-receptive which is crazy. Then, he told me we could do just half a dose of crinone even tho he had never seen that result before. I ended up getting pregnant “naturally” with my daughter right after the second ERA. Now I’m in a sibling cycle. His protocol changed and I did an eSET with a trigger shot and femara, no crinone. That didn’t work and so I asked for another biopsy.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
I would say for the most part the clinic is pretty organized. I really wish they had a patient portal, though, because there are so many documents, tests, forms, and times when you want to communicate where it would just be nice to have a centralized location.
Describe Thomas Vaughn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Fertility Center.
He strongly prefers eSET at least for my age group
Central Austin

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Hansard was extremely honest about my test results, and aggressively moved forward to fix the issues with my cervix. She is very good at explaining what is happening and why, and treats you with respect...She is up to date on the latest research and honest about your chances with success. She is warm and caring, but she won't just tell you what you want to hear. This builds trust in the process...is not going to give me a plan until we have the results of my HSG.
The clinic [Texas Fertility Center] does not do blood work or HSG's on site. You have to go to a separate location for all of your blood work, Clinical Pathology Laboratories ("CPL"). This is frustrating, particularly with Austin traffic. Furthermore, CPL does not necessarily communicate the best with the software used by the clinic. Also, the HSG is done by a radiologist, so your RE doctor is not there and has to go off their report...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
I highly recommend Dr. Hansard. She is up to date on the latest research and honest about your chances with success. She is warm and caring, but she won't just tell you what you want to hear. This builds trust in the process.
Have blood work done prior to meeting with her, and collect your medical records before you go in. This will make the process faster.
I am not far along enough in the process to leave a review on this. I am still in the discovery phase. Dr. Hansard is not going to give me a plan until we have the results of my HSG.
The nurses are great. You are given to a specific nursing team for your doctor. You can communicate with them by email. They are very quick to report results, and order tests if needed.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The clinic does not do blood work or HSG's on site. You have to go to a separate location for all of your blood work, Clinical Pathology Laboratories ("CPL"). This is frustrating, particularly with Austin traffic. Furthermore, CPL does not necessarily communicate the best with the software used by the clinic. Also, the HSG is done by a radiologist, so your RE doctor is not there and has to go off their report. The HSG is difficult to schedule, and this slows down the process. Also, if you are doing IVF, they want you to go to a presentation by one of the clinic's doctors. The presentation is attended by a bunch of other patients. It appears to be a PowerPoint presentation where you can ask a doctor from their clinic questions about the IVF process in a group setting. Here is the exact language from the website: "The next IVF orientation will be held at North Austin Medical Center on October 10, 2019 Light refreshments will be served starting at 6:15 PM. The presentation will start at 6:30 PM. A question and answer session will follow the presentation. One of our reproductive endocrinologists will discuss the IVF cycle. You will also hear one of our embryologists discuss the processes that occur in the embryo lab. The embryologists will show exciting videos of laboratory procedures such as ICSI, assisted hatching, and preimplantation screening." I am sure this is not troublesome to some patients, but my husband and I found it demeaning - particularly with the amount of money being charged for IVF services. This is such a personal and heartbreaking process. Orientation? Are you kidding me? To be forced to sit through a cattle-call PowerPoint presentation with a bunch of strangers to have the IVF process explained to us so we can have a baby just seems absurd, and honestly a bit dystopian.
I am not very far along in the process, but the nurses were great at making sure my testing and preliminary surgical procedures were covered by insurance.
I don't have that information yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Texas Fertility Center.
I would say the only issue here is with the clinic, not the doctors and definitely not with Dr. Hansard, she is great. We had all of our medical records provided before our first appointment, in an effort to make our first appointment worthwhile. It became patently obvious to us that the clinic schedules all first appointments on the same day, and that you are shuffled into a prescribed system. They were not expecting to have all of our medical records and testing already, and Dr. Hansard was surprised and unprepared to receive the information (although I do not think this was her fault, they hadn't been printed out for her and put in my chart - she was expecting a normal nice to meet you appointment, not a we moved here from out of state here are all of our medical records lets move forward appointment). As soon as she realized the records were there and available, she went through them quickly and deftly. Also, after your first appointment is over (you will get a sonogram on your first appointment) your doctor is immediately sent away to his or her next appointment and you are left in a bullpen with a bunch of staff shoving information at you. My husband was so overwhelmed. We were given at least four prescriptions, told to get blood work at CPL off site, and I was told to schedule an HSG off site. There are multiple things you have to do for each specific procedure and detailed instructions on the various scripts (antibiotics for both of us for the HSG, positive LH tests before the progesterone suppositories I was immediately prescribed, boxes of testing kits with specific instructions for blood work) and the staff just kind of throws them at you and rushes you out the door. This is NOT my experience with the staff at any other appointment other than the first appointment - once you are an established patient you get assigned to a specific nursing team for your doctor, and Dr. Hansard's nursing team is amazing and very detailed oriented.

Unexplained, Other
He [Dr. Propst] is a warm doctor with good bedside manner, but he is very busy! As soon as he's done seeing you, he's right out the door to the next patient. ... He definitely listens and takes into consideration what you have to say. ... With that info he decided, to just go with injectables only and no femara (I started femara with my OBGYN and continued it with Dr. Propst) to hopefully maximize my chances
There's several locations [Texas Fertility Center] which is great since Austin traffic is horrible. Also, they use CPL for labs which is also convenient as they have a lot of locations. There's no online patient portal or way to email them which can be frustrating. Hopefully they will transition to that one day. Also, my insurance doesn't cover anything related to infertility so it's been a costly process. The injectable medications have been expensive, but I also haven't done any rx shopping due to time constraints with knowing what med to take and when.
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center?
He is a warm doctor with good bedside manner, but he is very busy! As soon as he's done seeing you, he's right out the door to the next patient. Luckily he sees patients ar 2 different locations. He definitely listens and takes into consideration what you have to say. When trying to decide on how to proceed with my next treatment (I've done 2 IUIs-only 1 with injectables), I told him that this would probably be my last IUI attempt. With that info he decided, to just go with injectables only and no femara (I started femara with my OBGYN and continued it with Dr. Propst) to hopefully maximize my chances
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center?
Just go with your questions! He will answer them all. I didn't know what to ask in the beginning and I regret not doing more research before our consultation
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center?
He always came in with a smile and greeted me asking how I was doing instead of just jumping right to business
Describe the protocols Anthony Propst used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I "probably" have PCOS per both my OBGYN and Dr. Propst. I have irregular cycles but no cycsts on the ultrasound. I have been using femara (started with just taking this pill with my OB) for about 5 months and then went to see an RE. Our first IUI was right after our consultation since it was near the right timing of my cycle. All I used was an hcg trigger shot which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The next round was femara, gonal f injections and an hcg trigger shot with inseminations on back to back days since he was unsure of my ovulation. This also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am about to start my 3rd round in which we are NOT using femara but just a gonal f injection and hcg trigger shot. So we'll see what happens!
The nurses are very sweet, but coming out of your appointment, they sometimes assume you understand everything. Ask about meds, timing, next appt, etc if you have questions! They're happy to help. Also, it's hard to get a hold of them. You always have to call and leave a message. They get back to you fairly quickly, but I've never once called and got to talk directly to a nurse on that phone call
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
There's several locations which is great since Austin traffic is horrible. Also, they use CPL for labs which is also convenient as they have a lot of locations. There's no online patient portal or way to email them which can be frustrating. Hopefully they will transition to that one day. Also, my insurance doesn't cover anything related to infertility so it's been a costly process. The injectable medications have been expensive, but I also haven't done any rx shopping due to time constraints with knowing what med to take and when.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center.
The initial consultation is around $600 and each ultrasound is $220. You do an ultrasound at the start of your cycle and several times throughout to see how your ovaries are progressing. My medications have ranged from $400-800 and they do use a pharmacy that overnights them to you (not sure if this is built into the cost since again I didn't do any price shopping).
Central Austin

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
She [Dr. Natalie Burger] has walked us through the different possible treatments we can pursue to become pregnant, encouraged us to start with IUI which is more cost effective, rather than jumping straight into the expensive IVF treatments. Unfortunately, the several times I have taken the medications during my cycle, have resulted in ovulation taking place in the ovarian tube which may have a blockage. We have discussed, and agreed that we would try a few more rounds to see if we can get a cycle on the "good" ovary, and proceed with the IUI, otherwise, we can attempt to unblock the other tube, or move on to IVF. I just feel that she is very compassionate and willing to try all options before jumping into the most expensive route, and we really appreciate that!
Dr. Burger practices at all of the clinics [of Texas Fertility Center], so if there is a certain one that is better for you, I would find out her schedule and try to arrange your visits around that. Otherwise, I have been to the central office (most often), but also South office and they are both very nice, clean, and staff is awesome at both!... Everyone at the Texas Fertility Center is upbeat, sweet and caring. I like them all very much!
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Natalie Burger at Texas Fertility Center?
She is very warm and caring and takes time to answer all questions. I feel very comfortable with her. She has walked us through the different possible treatments we can pursue to become pregnant, encouraged us to start with IUI which is more cost effective, rather than jumping straight into the expensive IVF treatments. Unfortunately, the several times I have taken the medications during my cycle, have resulted in ovulation taking place in the ovarian tube which may have a blockage. We have discussed, and agreed that we would try a few more rounds to see if we can get a cycle on the "good" ovary, and proceed with the IUI, otherwise, we can attempt to unblock the other tube, or move on to IVF. I just feel that she is very compassionate and willing to try all options before jumping into the most expensive route, and we really appreciate that!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Burger at Texas Fertility Center?
Be patient and trust in the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Burger at Texas Fertility Center?
She was very warm and attentive, took time to answer my questions, and her nurse always called me back in a timely manner to answer any additional questions I may have. Dr. Burger also rearranged her schedule to accommodate me when I needed to come in for ultrasounds during my first days of my cycle for IUI treatment.
Describe the protocols Natalie Burger used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Previously answered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Kuykendall)
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Dr. Burger practices at all of the clinics, so if there is a certain one that is better for you, I would find out her schedule and try to arrange your visits around that. Otherwise, I have been to the central office (most often), but also South office and they are both very nice, clean, and staff is awesome at both!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Burger at Texas Fertility Center.
For each interuterine ultrasound I have had to do (which is 2 per cycle) have been around $216 each time, so around $430 per cycle. I have been through 3 cycles so far.
Natalie Burger

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
Dr. Hansard has shown interest in getting me to my end goal of having a baby. My situation is a bit different in the sense that embryos look great I have no problem making day 5 blastocyst but no implantation happens. It has been difficult to choose a course of treatment because we have done ERA’s and PGS, blood thinners, steroids and laparoscopic myomectomy( a few years ago with different doctor) and most recently a hysteroscopy and no success.
They [Texas Fertility Center- Austin] are an organized system because every Doctor has their own staff so it’s easier to deal with patients. They’ll get back to you if you have any questions, also the on call nurse is a great resource. I know that a lot of times I rather call and talk to the nurse but I found that they communicate faster via email. Overall I’m pleased with the care I received at TFC. The one thing I wish I would have is fertility coverage because treatments are extremely expensive.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
I would say to trust her because she is very knowledgeable but in my situation I don’t think it’s my doctor hindering my success but rather something else we haven’t figured out.
I felt like a human because Dr. Hansard shows compassion and seems to know my personal medical issues without much reminder.
We tried following a femara natural cycle for FET, this protocol didn’t work because ovulation always occurred too early. So I decided to do a medicated cycle because it was more controlled. We repeated the ERA with a different protocol of medication using crinone instead of progesterone in oil for FET. We tried using Heparin and dexamethasone. So far I still haven’t had success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Flora)
My Nurse gets back to me with any concerns I may have.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
They are an organized system because every Doctor has their own staff so it’s easier to deal with patients. They’ll get back to you if you have any questions, also the on call nurse is a great resource. I know that a lot of times I rather call and talk to the nurse but I found that they communicate faster via email. Overall I’m pleased with the care I received at TFC. The one thing I wish I would have is fertility coverage because treatments are extremely expensive.
The costs for: IVF cycle for egg retrieval, every monitoring appointment, medications, lab tests, FET cycles had costs associated with doctors fees, surgery center fees, embryology lab fees.
Dr. Hansard recommends transfering one embryo for my age that has been PGS tested. During my previous FET we transferred two embryos due to my history of recurrent implantation failure and embryos were not PGS tested.
Central Austin

He [Dr. Thomas Vaughn] had told us to go right to ivf but said if we wanted to try IUI we can but he wouldn’t do more than 3 because of my diagnosis . He said it was silly to waste time . We decided to do 2 IUIs before moving on to ivf . Our first IUI was with 5 mg of femara for 5 days . I produced 1 follicle . 2nd IUI was with follistim injectables my dose kept going up every visit . I also produced one follicle . Both iuis were unsuccessful . We moved onto ivf and I was on 450iu follistim and 150iu menopur daily and added in cetrotide at the end. He knew I needed high doses because of my IUI with injectable . I stimmed for 13 days today and retrieved 8 eggs , 6 were mature and we ended up with 2 five day embryos to freeze .
My nurse [at Texas Fertility Center- Central Austin] was fantastic with communication . If I emailed her she emailed me back right away and if she wasn’t in the office for some reason someone else contacted me ! She was very to the point and honest and very nice !... There can be longer wait times at this clinic but I believe they were very organized . I think with dr. Vaughn I waited maybe 2-3 times for a long time other then that he was on time mostly. They are very nice and explain things well . A good atmosphere!
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
I was treated like a human with him he always showed compassion and took the time to answer any questions I may have . I never felt uncomfortable with him once I always felt at ease and that he knew exactly what to do. I trusted everything he said and wanted to do and he got me pregnant with my miracle baby boy and I’m forever grateful for him!
Trust him! He knows what he’s doing !
He always walked into the room with a smile and asked how I was doing and addressed me by my Name . I never felt rushed . He always took the time to answer any questions I had and never made me feel stupid about a question I may have asked . He always made me feel at ease when I was nervous or concerned .
He had told us to go right to ivf but said if we wanted to try IUI we can but he wouldn’t do more than 3 because of my diagnosis . He said it was silly to waste time . We decided to do 2 IUIs before moving on to ivf . Our first IUI was with 5 mg of femara for 5 days . I produced 1 follicle . 2nd IUI was with follistim injectables my dose kept going up every visit . I also produced one follicle . Both iuis were unsuccessful . We moved onto ivf and I was on 450iu follistim and 150iu menopur daily and added in cetrotide at the end. He knew I needed high doses because of my IUI with injectable . I stimmed for 13 days today and retrieved 8 eggs , 6 were mature and we ended up with 2 five day embryos to freeze .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Staha )
My nurse was fantastic with communication . If I emailed her she emailed me back right away and if she wasn’t in the office for some reason someone else contacted me ! She was very to the point and honest and very nice !
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center.
Under our insurance we are covered 100 percent for IVF . I paid some copays for our visits with TFC . We had to pay out of pocket for ovation which is the lab because they aren’t in network with most insurances . So we had to pay the majority out of pocket due to this.
I think putting in 1 embryo was a good choice . I didn’t think to put in 2 or more honestly as I know it can be scary with multiples and I had been pregnant before . I was totally fine with that choice

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Hansard was very friendly and encouraging. When I had surgery to remove endometriosis, she held my hand as they put me to sleep. I was very nervous and this was so sweet and comforting! Her office can get busy some times and appointments can feel rushed.... She diagnosed me with stage 4 endometriosis after surgery to remove it. We tried naturally for 4 cycles then began IUIs. The first IUI was with clomid only. Then I did two more IUIs with clomid (days 3-7 of my cycle) and 200mg progesterone suppository at night
The facility [Texas Fertility Ctr] is very organized and happy to help. With each step of fertility treatments I had different questions. I wanted to know about local employers who covered fertility treatments and their business office help with a list. Before we got to IVF, I wanted to know the costs and the quickly sent me cost sheets. Everyone has been so helpful and kind.... Kat is so sweet and full of information. Most of my time working with her was by phone. Often when I called her, I got to her right away. If I did have to leave a voicemail, I heard back from her the same day.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
She is very knowledgeable and confident. I always felt encouraged and hopeful after meeting her. Sometimes I think she made me feel like pregnancy was going to happen easily or quickly for us, which it hasn’t. I still appreciated her encouraging approach versus a more realistic standpoint that it might be a long process. Sometimes I wanted her to slow down and talk with me a little longer about the treatment plan. I think she gladly would have if I voiced that that’s what I wanted.
Ask all the questions you want and tell her how you’re really feeling. She’s excellent at helping to ease your fears.
She diagnosed me with stage 4 endometriosis after surgery to remove it. We tried naturally for 4 cycles then began IUIs. The first IUI was with clomid only. Then I did two more IUIs with clomid (days 3-7 of my cycle) and 200mg progesterone suppository at night, 3 days after the IUI. After none of the IUIs worked she recommended IVF. While we saved for IVF, she said we could do another IUI and add injections. We decided to wait and save.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat)
Kat is so sweet and full of information. Most of my time working with her was by phone. Often when I called her, I got to her right away. If I did have to leave a voicemail, I heard back from her the same day. When I met her in person she gave me a big hug and said how good it was to meet me. She felt like a really helpful friend.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The facility is very organized and happy to help. With each step of fertility treatments I had different questions. I wanted to know about local employers who covered fertility treatments and their business office help with a list. Before we got to IVF, I wanted to know the costs and the quickly sent me cost sheets. Everyone has been so helpful and kind.
The IUI (one ultrasound, the IUI procedure and sperm prep) cost about $600.

2005 - 2018
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Vaughn always is upfront about risk, what to expect and chances. He is calm but direct and changes his approach if you are not understanding terminology. I never felt rushed or like I couldn't ask more questions.... Clomid and iui was used for several years, because inwas not ready to admit i needed to go to the next step. Dr. Vaughn was patient and allowed me to go at my own speed based on comfortability. We added gonal f injections with iui and progesterone and had 1 miscarraige and 1 live birth.
Front office [Texas Fertility Center] is nice, clean and well kept. Everyone was courteous. Even in billing, I was always treated with respect and compassion about our situation. They were helpful with providing ways to save and always did everything they could to assist with insurance filing and reimnursements.... Quick to return calls / emails same day, awesome about communicating results quickly. Always great about giving you time to process what they said and ask questions before they got off the phone. Excellent bedside manner.
2005 - 2018
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
Dont wait. If you are having trouble go early and often. No question is off limits, make sure you understand and have all questions answered.
Dr. Vaughn knows me and my story. He never forgets what happened before, he asks about my children by name.
Clomid and iui was used for several years, because inwas not ready to admit i needed to go to the next step. Dr. Vaughn was patient and allowed me to go at my own speed based on comfortability. We added gonal f injections with iui and progesterone and had 1 miscarraige and 1 live birth. After that we went to ivf with gonal f, progesterone and one other drug that I cant think of. I had 1 negative, 1 tubal pregnancy and 1 live birth (one other live birth but we are not 100% sure if it was from tubal or natural)
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Front office is nice, clean and well kept. Everyone was courteous. Even in billing, I was always treated with respect and compassion about our situation. They were helpful with providing ways to save and always did everything they could to assist with insurance filing and reimnursements.
10k per ivf cycle, 3k frozen transfer
My doctor recommended 1 or 2 embryo transfers not any more. My age and history was part of his decision.

2014 - 2018
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Silverberg] speaks quickly and is very up to date and knowledgeable on all fertility topics but takes time to review all details with you personally. He cared when our first round wasn’t successful enough to give us his personal cell for any questions or concerns along the way. He hugged me and commiserated the initial loss (lack of success) upon learning of unsuccessful transfers.... Our first stimulation and egg retrieval resulted in a lower number of eggs retrieved than originally predicted. Dr Silverberg adjusted my next cycle appropriately with more estrogen injections to yield more eggs for fertilization.
Their knowledge base is invaluable! The doctors [Texas Fertility Center] all seem to be very professional and ensure that your care is provided at the highest level. The nurses are responsive and compassionate. They are organized as well. The only weakness I would begin to discuss would be the wait time at regular office visit is but I understand that surgeries often go longer than expected and I would rather have the great care they provide.
2014 - 2018
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
He is quick paced and speaks very quickly but works well and is super knowledgeable. He slows down when asked and will review any information when asked. His wait time leaves something to be desired but otherwise he is amazing. He is caring and compassionate and I would recommend him!
I would advise a prospective patient to bring a book to the waiting room of the office but rest assured that it’s worth the wait.
He speaks quickly and is very up to date and knowledgeable on all fertility topics but takes time to review all details with you personally. He cared when our first round wasn’t successful enough to give us his personal cell for any questions or concerns along the way. He hugged me and commiserated the initial loss (lack of success) upon learning of unsuccessful transfers.
Our first stimulation and egg retrieval resulted in a lower number of eggs retrieved than originally predicted. Dr Silverberg adjusted my next cycle appropriately with more estrogen injections to yield more eggs for fertilization. He also carefully monitored me to ensure that I didn’t become hyper stimulated. The second round of stimulation was also accompanied by a freeze all cycle rather than fresh which was easier on my emotions and body to have the break between the retrieval and the transfer. The research showed that freeze all is typically more successful which was true for our situation as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
They were super responsive and efficient. They would personally call with results and review the meaning of the information. The care I received from them when any delicate or bad news was shared was very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Their knowledge base is invaluable! The doctors all seem to be very professional and ensure that your care is provided at the highest level. The nurses are responsive and compassionate. They are organized as well. The only weakness I would begin to discuss would be the wait time at regular office visit is but I understand that surgeries often go longer than expected and I would rather have the great care they provide.
All in all (for two rounds of stimulation, 3 egg retrievals) we spent $35K but that included our medications, the embryology (through Ovation), the surgery center, and TFCs services. The costs associated with TFC directly were very reasonable (for the ultrasounds, office visits, retrevial and transfer).
Describe Kaylen Silverberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Fertility Center.
Dr Silverberg strongly stuck to transferring only one embryo at a time. He said he was part of the initiative that wrote guidelines for age and transfer and that he had been responsible for too many NICU babies and exorbitant hospital bills. He felt it was a more responsible move to transfer one embryo at a time based on age factors. He said once I was &gt;35 he would be willing to transfer 2 at a time.
Central Austin

Dr. Thomas Vaughn is punctual and I appreciate that he respects his patience’s time. He’s a great listener and I feel he has my health and safety in mind when suggesting different protocols. After each failed IUI and FET’s he’s called me every single time to check in and to answer any questions I might have had.... Dr. Vaughn is wonderful, though our fertility journey isn’t over I’ve been very satisfied under his care. He’s honest, I trust him & appreciate his kind bedside manner. We have experienced more downs than ups but his position attitude has kept me wanting to drive forward
The overall clinic [Texas Fertility Center] is great, the location is easy to find, bathrooms clean, waiting room comfortable, exam rooms clean and warm. Front desk employees are helpful and willing to assist with any questions and guidance.... I wasn’t assigned a nurse until IVF. All the other nurses I encountered were wonderful, caring, attentive, followed up and knew me by my first name. Once I stared IVF and was assigned Jaime, this started my displeasures with the clinic.
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
If you don’t understand all the abbreviations, ask. Ask lots of questions, write them down prior to your appointment
4 cycles of Timed intercourse clomid/Ovidrel first iui was Clomid/Ovidrel 2nd - 4th IUI Femara/Ovidrel 1st FET estradiol, Crinone & PVS 2nd FET Estradiol, Crinone & PVS Upcoming 3rd FET Femara, estradiol, Ovidrel & PVS (potentially scheduled for 3/20/18)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jaime Burkott )
I started my ivf journey in October 2017, prior to this we were trying different protocols and I wasn’t assigned a nurse until IVF. All the other nurses I encountered were wonderful, caring, attentive, followed up and knew me by my first name. Once I stared IVF and was assigned Jaime, this started my displeasures with the clinic. Jamie is forgetful, hard to get answers from, distracted and at times makes me feel as though I’m annoying her. I feel I’ve developed a better relationship with the on call nurse than my IVF nurse. The only time I’ve met with Jaime in person was to do my initial injection consult, other than that it’s primarily emails with the occasional phone call. I’ve asked to see her after a baseline appointment and she pawned me off to a different nurse. After my 2nd Failed FET I had to tell her I wanted to meet with her because I had questions I wanted to go over in person with a difference in progesterone days before FET. I remember something different than what she had written. We set an appointment and the day of she emailed me and had to push it back because she had forgotten a prior commitment. Dr. Vaughn had an emergency and was out of office unexpectedly, everyone was rescheduled but of course my nurse forgot to reschedule me until I called. I simply don’t trust Jaime at all.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The overall clinic is great, the location is easy to find, bathrooms clean, waiting room comfortable, exam rooms clean and warm. Front desk employees are helpful and willing to assist with any questions and guidance.
So far since October 2017 - current we have spent $31,000 NOT including all the other cycles like IUI and timed intercourse. Between Texas fertility, Ovation Fertility, CPL and the Austin Surgery Center. MY insurance doesn’t cover anything regarding fertility.
The first two FET Dr. Vaughn would only transfer a single embryo. Now that we are on our 3rd he is open to transferring two embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Texas Fertility Center.
I’ve had to remind Jaime about my Estradiol prescription on a couple occasions, she’s also forgotten to call me with lab result that effect that’s night dosage so I had to call on-call nurse
Central Austin

Dr. Vaughn comes across as the caring grandfather or uncle that you would go to with your biggest problem in life knowing that he's going to hear you and provide great wisdom. He's kind, trustworthy and always takes the time to answer any questions you have. He really seeks to make sure you understand exactly where you are in the process and where you're going. He has personally called me with all of my results and has never made me feel as though I'm bothering him with my concerns or questions.
The staff [Texas Fertility Center] has been excellent.... The clinic runs exceptionally smoothly. They are always prepared and on time for their appointments. Each person working there is kind, understanding and willing to go above and beyond to serve the patients.... Dr. Vaughn is amazing! I truly can't think of any weaknesses at this time. He has been a calming influence through this stressful time and I leave my appointments feeling encouraged
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Vaughn is amazing! I truly can't think of any weaknesses at this time. He has been a calming influence through this stressful time and I leave my appointments feeling encouraged. He's 100% on time all the time so I've never had to wait more than 2 minutes to be seen which was great for my work schedule. He always wrote down for me how many follicles I had maturing and what he hoped to see next visit.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Vaughn will answer them all.
My protocol was set by my initial doctor who went out of town shortly after beginning treatments and Dr. Vaughn didn't want to change the protocol. He did extend my treatment by a few days as I was not responding very well to the stimulation meds. While disappointing to spend money on an extra 3 days of injections, it was well worth it as the egg retrieval was very successful.
The staff has been excellent.
Unsure
Central Austin

Dr Hansard is always very kind and informational when we meet. ... The only reason I wouldn't give a 10 is because she does speak very quickly. There have been a few times where we've left the appointment thinking, "wait, what do we do next?" ... We started our consultation by running multiple tests: a lot of bloodwork on both myself & my husband, an HSG test, and a few different ultrasounds.
The hardest part about this clinic is scheduling. Trying to get a new patient appointment can take months- so be prepared for that. Once you are a patient, it's easiest to schedule appointments with your nurse rather than the main clinic line, so always call your nurse first. My nurse has helped me schedule appointments before regular business hours to fit me in as everything is so time specific.
How was your experience with Lisa Hansard at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr Hansard is always very kind and informational when we meet. Even my husband felt she talked through things very well. The only reason I wouldn't give a 10 is because she does speak very quickly. There have been a few times where we've left the appointment thinking, "wait, what do we do next?" I wish the nurses would give you a summary of your next steps or treatment options.
Take notes when she's discussing treatment options. You will forget. Also- use the time she has with you to ask her any specific questions you may have.
I never felt rushed to get through the office or through the treatment options. Dr Hansard did a great job explaining what I needed to do and what possible options we have.
We started our consultation by running multiple tests: a lot of bloodwork on both myself & my husband, an HSG test, and a few different ultrasounds. Once we began treatment, the current treatment we're using is taking Femara each cycle then coming in for an ultrasound to see my follicles. After this we'll determine next steps from here.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center.
The nursing staff is great! They respond to all of your questions in a very timely manner. You receive a card with both their direct phone line and email so you can contact them at anytime. My nurse has been very helpful in answering any and all questions I have as well as talking me through potential next steps.
Central Austin

He's [Dr. Thomas Vaughn] older gentleman, and I was initially a little nervous about being judged for pursuing a modern, slightly nontraditional family, but never felt that way. I did get the impression my case was a little...boring for him? My fertility issues were minimal, and in the decision to be more aggressive (with the health risks that involves) vs play the waiting game (with the financial & emotional stress that involves) he definitely leaned toward the latter.
It's a busy clinic [TX Fertility Center], but the wait was never too bad, although appointments were always on the quick side. Very responsive by phone and email which was always reassuring. Easy to schedule.... When I got my positive, I thought the nurse said my HCG was over 100 and that was good. And the next Beta was less than double so I was worried and she said that no, my HCG last time was 67 and it had almost quadrupled so everything was fine. Still confused why I got the wrong number the first time.
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
He's obviously incredibly experienced and has an amazing reputation in Austin. He's older gentleman, and I was initially a little nervous about being judged for pursuing a modern, slightly nontraditional family, but never felt that way. I did get the impression my case was a little...boring for him? My fertility issues were minimal, and in the decision to be more aggressive (with the health risks that involves) vs play the waiting game (with the financial & emotional stress that involves) he definitely leaned toward the latter.
I'm not unhappy with the care I received--I never felt rushed or dismissed by Dr. Vaughn. However it's a busy clinic, I wasn't a particularly complicated case, and just didn't require the attention some patients might. He was patient with my questions and concerns, but our appointments were quick and mostly business.
My first cycle was completely unmedicated, and my period arrived nearly a week earlier than planned. Dr. Vaughn thought either I hadn't ovulated despite a positive OPK, or I had a short leutal phase. I explained that this period was very out of the norm for me, but for the next cycle he recommended I take Femara to ensure I ovulate, and 200mg of progesterone 4 days after the IUI. The side effects of the progesterone were extremely unpleasant and for the next cycle he recommended I cut them in half to 100mg. After my third failed cycle I expressed desire for a laparoscopy to confirm my self-diagnosed endometriosis (I had discussed my pelvic pain with Dr. Vaughn, but symptoms were mild-ish and nothing showed up on the ultrasound, and he seemed ambivalent about progressing to lap until my third failed IUI). I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy done by my regular OB/Gyn so insurance would cover the procedures and she found and ablated one small lesion and removed an adhesion. Fourth IUI back at the fertility clinic, preformed by a different doctor due to timing- I got my first positive.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
This is the only clinic I went to, so it's hard for me to compare. They have a reputation for being "traditional" but I think that is in reference to medical treatments not values. And honestly, my experience was limited to IUI, which is far less involved and invasive than IVF, so I don't know as much as an IVF patient would. It's a busy clinic, but the wait was never too bad, although appointments were always on the quick side. Very responsive by phone and email which was always reassuring. Easy to schedule.
Pretty much $200 for everything--ultrasounds and IUI. Fertility evaluation was covered by insurance.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Kaylen Silverberg] is incredibly knowledgeable and has a ton of experience with IVF. I always felt like I was receiving the best care. When I was unsure of what to try next, he offered examples of previous patients in similar situations. He always presented multiple options and clearly pointed out the advantages and disadvantages of each. He left the choice up to me and was willing to move forward with whatever treatment I felt comfortable with and without judgement. He took my worries seriously and never made me feel bad for asking questions.
The billing department [at Texas Fertility Center] did a great job of breaking down the cost for every part of my treatment. We paid a total of about $70,000 out of pocket (no insurance coverage) for 2 own-egg IVF cycles (~$17k and $15k), one donor egg cycle (~$33k), and one transfer cycle (~$3k). We elected to freeze all and PGS test our embryos for each cycle. We were presented with an estimate of expenses before treatment started so there were no surprise charges.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
He is incredibly knowledgeable and has a ton of experience with IVF. I always felt like I was receiving the best care. When I was unsure of what to try next, he offered examples of previous patients in similar situations. He always presented multiple options and clearly pointed out the advantages and disadvantages of each. He left the choice up to me and was willing to move forward with whatever treatment I felt comfortable with and without judgement. He took my worries seriously and never made me feel bad for asking questions.
Be honest and up front with any of your concerns and don't be afraid to ask questions.
He was willing to spend as much time as I needed explaining procedures, answering my questions, and presenting me with options. He was never rude and always made an effort to make sure I left the clinic happy.
My first IVF cycle used a long lupron (agonist) protocol since I had never tried injectable drugs before. I responded slowly and my medication was increased to compensate. A slightly lower than average number of eggs were retrieved and only one embryo made it to the blastocyst stage. It was tested PGS abnormal and incompatible with life. My second IVF cycle used a microdose lupron flare protocol since I am a poor/slow responder to fertility drugs and there was a question about my egg quality. I was on the maximum dose for most of the cycle and ended up with a normal number of eggs. We did not have any embryos make it to the blastocyst stage. We did not get any viable embryos using my own eggs (poor quality) so we moved on to an egg donor after 2 failed IVFs. Our donor used an antagonist protocol because that is the fastest and easiest cycle for my doctor to manage. She had donated before so my doctor used her previous cycle as a starting point. Her dosage was updated every two or three days based on her response, and we ended up with a higher than average number of eggs and PGS normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat (non IVF cycles), Shanna (IVF cycles), and Jennifer (donor egg cycles))
My first nurse (Kat) was assigned to me for clomid cycles. She was kind and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. My second nurse (Shanna) was assigned to me for own egg IVF cycles. She was amazing and went above and beyond to answer all of my questions. She even asked the embryology team directly to help me understand why my first IVF didn't work. My third nurse (Jennifer) was assigned to me for a donor egg IVF cycle. She was awesome and answered all of my questions. She also sent me information ahead of time to make sure I had everything I needed and didn't have to make any last minute decisions. She kept me updated with my donor's cycle and I never had to worry about what was going on.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
TFC is one of the larger clinics in the state. They don't turn away patients based on diagnosis and will do everything they can to help you conceive. According to SART, their success rates are above the national average. They strongly recommend eSET when possible and I never felt pressured to try a treatment before I was ready. I saw my doctor for almost all of my appointments, even the quick, simple sonograms. My doctor performed all of my sonograms and a nurse was in the room taking notes. If my doctor was unavailable I was given the option of rescheduling or choosing another doctor at the clinic for that day. The only downside is that TFC sees a lot of patients and sometimes runs behind in the afternoon. The longest I have had to wait for my appointment was 45 minutes when someone else's consultation ran long.
The billing department did a great job of breaking down the cost for every part of my treatment. We paid a total of about $70,000 out of pocket (no insurance coverage) for 2 own-egg IVF cycles (~$17k and $15k), one donor egg cycle (~$33k), and one transfer cycle (~$3k). We elected to freeze all and PGS test our embryos for each cycle. We were presented with an estimate of expenses before treatment started so there were no surprise charges.
My husband and I desired an eSET and my doctor was supportive of our decision. He typically recommends eSET for PGS normal embryos and first time transfers unless there is a compelling reason to transfer more.
Central Austin

Dr. S [Dr. Kaylen Silverberg] is compassionate, enthusiastic, positive, and interested in your patient history. For the most part he seems focused on figuring out problems and is cautious about checking all the boxes (i.e. he insisted on an ERA biopsy to make sure we were transferring on the right day before we did a frozen embryo transfer since we only had one good PGS embryo to work with). He makes an effort to talk or meet with you right away when you get bad news. That being said, I have now had 3 failed frozen transfers and am "unexplained" with still no answers as to what is going on, even though we have done everything under the sun that has been recommended.
[Texas Fertility Center is] Relatively well organized, receive call backs and emails very quickly, staff is not "flaky" at all. They are kind and professional and good patient advocates; they will hunt the doctors down for you to get your questions answered.... Fresh retrieval freeze-all cycle with PGS testing and ICSI: approx. $16,000 Frozen embryo transfer with assisted hatching: approx. $2,600 Monitoring Ultrasounds (weekdays): $210 Monitoring Ultrasounds (weekends): $250 ERA Biopsy: $300 (plus $900 for the testing company)
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. S is compassionate, enthusiastic, positive, and interested in your patient history. For the most part he seems focused on figuring out problems and is cautious about checking all the boxes (i.e. he insisted on an ERA biopsy to make sure we were transferring on the right day before we did a frozen embryo transfer since we only had one good PGS embryo to work with). He makes an effort to talk or meet with you right away when you get bad news. That being said, I have now had 3 failed frozen transfers and am "unexplained" with still no answers as to what is going on, even though we have done everything under the sun that has been recommended.
Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for more information or clarification, even if he is in a hurry.
Warm, personal bedside manner.
2 fresh freeze all retrieval cycles on Gonal F, Menopur and Lupron (starting with birth control and Lupron suppression). Resulted in 9 mature eggs; 2 day 6 blasts, but only 1 PGS normal embryo for 1st cycle; 8 mature eggs; 5 day 6 blasts and 2 PGS normal embryos for the 2nd cycle. 3 FETs on Crinone and Estradiol support. 1st FET = HCG of 41, chemical pregnancy. 2nd FET = BFN. 3rd FET = HCG of 28, chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Strong preference for freeze all cycles, PGS testing, and eSETs.
Central Austin
Be patient because sometimes it seems as though he's taking the long way around but its only because he is making sure you've received all the tests and preparatory steps before moving forward...While I do sometimes feel like he moves through the appointments quickly and he seems to be very busy, I REALLY like Dr. Silverberg and I'm very comfortable being in his care. He has great bedside manner and with procedures that can obviously be awkward at times, its really important to me to have a doctor that I feel as much at ease as possible. Besides his personality, he's very thorough in his assessments and treatment plans and he has a lot of experience and expertise in fertility related issues.
As I stated, the staff at the clinic are the most compassionate and knowlegeable people in the field of medicine. The clinic itself is in a great location and is inviting. The one weakness I have noticed is that they seem to run behind schedule a lot...ll of the staff at Texas Fertility Center are amazing. I've worked with a lot of the ladies in the office and have never met a negative person there. They are all very helpful and compassionate. Its a joy having that team during such a difficult time.
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Silverberg always greets me, asks me how I'm doing and I honestly feel that he's has my best interest in mind and that he's cheering for me.
I've had 5 IUIs that we got progressively more aggressive with. My first IUI was unmedicated. The second and third were in conjunction with Femara and my fourth and fifth cycles were with gonal-f injections and the ovidrel trigger. I also used progesterone suppositories after the IUIs on the last two cycles. I'm still trying to conceive so none of the IUIs produced a positive pregnancy test. So I have decided to move on to IVF treatment.
All of the staff at Texas Fertility Center are amazing. I've worked with a lot of the ladies in the office and have never met a negative person there. They are all very helpful and compassionate. Its a joy having that team during such a difficult time.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
I don't remember exactly but I think I paid about $250 per IUI and about the same for sonograms. It was about $40 higher on weekends and holidays. Consultations were about $95.
I have not yet had an embryo transfer. I'll begin my IVF cycle in about two weeks.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Texas Fertility Center.
Once, my receipt was switched with another patients. So had to mail the other patient's receipt back to the office. I don't remember which staff person it was but she was very apologetic.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He's [Dr. Vaughn] quiet and thoughtful, but don't perceive that as non-caring...We began our treatment with clomid + IUI, along with some standard blood tests. We did 4 IUIs and none of them produced a pregnancy. From there, he looked back at previous x-rays from my normal ob/gyn and noticed that I had a uterine septum, so he recommended surgery to repair that. During the surgery, he also found some uterine fibroids and corrected those. Now, we are moving into IVF.
Texas Fertility Center is one of the larger clinics in Austin, with lots of locations. I always go to the clinic on Mopac & Far West. They are extremely friendly and organized. Appointments do run behind sometimes, but they are also very accommodating if you are late, so this doesn't bother me. They are very popular and always busy, but you never feel like a number... She [nurse] is extremely attentive and communicates exceptionally well. She keeps us organized so that this doesn't seem overwhelming. She's also genuinely kind and excited for us.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Vaughn is incredibly thorough and direct, while also positive and compassionate at the same time. He always is kind and keeps things light, without trivializing what we're going through. He truly seems invested in producing a successful pregnancy in his patients. He has also been sensitive and thoughtful to the fact that we are price-sensitive, since we have extremely limited coverage through our insurance.
He's quiet and thoughtful, but don't perceive that as non-caring.
Dr. Vaughn has always treated me personally and he has designed our plan according to what is (or isn't) happening with my body. He never compares my situation to other people or stats.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jaime Burkott)
Our IVF is Jaime Burkott, and we couldn't be more pleased with her. She is extremely attentive and communicates exceptionally well. She keeps us organized so that this doesn't seem overwhelming. She's also genuinely kind and excited for us.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Our IUIs, plus the surrounding appointments, usually cost us around $600-800 a month. Our IVF is going to come in around $16K.
Dr. Vaughn prefers eSET. He says they have the highest success rate with that type of transfer. He only considers transferring multiples if the woman is closer to 40 or if there are underlying medical reasons that indicate this is a good idea.
Central Austin

Dr. Propst was matter of fact about treatment and options but he still would talk to me about how other things in my life like school and work were going. When I tried to ease my anxiety with humor, he would laugh and joke with me. He was considerate of my discomfort during uncomfortable procedures.... I was having financial issues and he did everything he could to get me donated medications or lower my costs. He was an expert in the issue I was having and I trusted him completely.
It [Texas Fertility Center] is a very large practice so sometimes I would see different staff members st every visit. I would have liked a smaller, more personal feel but at a large clinic it is easier to get appointments and see people last minute.... There was a time that I really wanted to leave the clinic because the person handling my medication order made a huge mistake and almost cost me thousands of dollars. The technicians that I saw during my regular visits were always friendly and courteous but they didn’t seem to remember me from one visit too the next
How was your experience with Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Propst was my favorite person at the clinic. I was having financial issues and he did everything he could to get me donated medications or lower my costs. He was an expert in the issue I was having and I trusted him completely.
He’s very matter of fact so expect the truth even if it might not be what you want to hear. But he’s southern so he says it in a compassionate way.
5 cycles of letrozole plus injectibles, one cycle of full injectibles, one ivf cycle. After ovulating early, he added another medication to prevent that. Ovidril trigger was used in all seven cycles. First cycle was negative, second was a miscarriage and Dr. Propst performed my D&C. Third cycle was negative. Fourth cycle I ovulated early. Fifth cycle after an adjustment was negative. Sixth cycle was a chemical pregnancy. Seventh cycle was ivf that yielded no usable embryos. Eighth cycle was my son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kimberley)
I did not have a great experience with the nursing staff. At one point I was sure that the nurses treated me differently because I am Latina and I didn’t have a lot of money. This was maninly someone trying to arrange my medication during an ivf cycle. I don’t remember her name. My ivf nurse was different from my first nurse Kimberley and when I went back to iui, Kimberley had left and I got someone different and she was fine. There was a time that I really wanted to leave the clinic because the person handling my medication order made a huge mistake and almost cost me thousands of dollars. The technicians that I saw during my regular visits were always friendly and courteous but they didn’t seem to remember me from one visit too the next, maybe because the clinic was too big.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
It is a very large practice so sometimes I would see different staff members st every visit. I would have liked a smaller, more personal feel but at a large clinic it is easier to get appointments and see people last minute.
It was really expensive, my insurance didn’t cover anything, I used credit cards to pay, and I’m still in debt up to my ears. Total cost was about $45k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Texas Fertility Center.
Someone gave the pharmacy the wrong phone number for me and I almost didn’t get my medication when I was supposed to. If I hadn’t googled the pharmacy myself and called them to find out what was going on, I might not have gotten my medication. The staff member at the clinic who made the mistake didn’t think it was a big deal but and never admitted her mistake but it could have been devastating.

3 IVF, Donor Eggs
He’s [Dr. Propst] very compassionate with a professional and comfortable bedside manner. He’s extremely knowledgeable and very helpful in finding the right plan that he thinks will best work for you. He will work with you in regards to what you want, timelines, and even a little based on cost. I truly felt he wanted to help his patients and not just doing it for the paycheck...He was very personable and relatable and I felt he truly cared. Several times he actually called me directly rather than having a nurse do it.
I think they [Texas Fertility Center] are very knowledgeable and have very quality and qualified doctors that are all great and help out each other when needed. They research and offer classes to help patients regularly. They’re located throughout the city (and state) and easy to get quick appts. The only weakness, although not specific to them I imagine is the cost. Without having insurance coverage, it is super expensive!...Be patient and trust they know what they are doing.
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Anthony Propst at Texas Fertility Center?
He’s very compassionate with a professional and comfortable bedside manner. He’s extremely knowledgeable and very helpful in finding the right plan that he thinks will best work for you. He will work with you in regards to what you want, timelines, and even a little based on cost. I truly felt he wanted to help his patients and not just doing it for the paycheck.
I would say this to any patient, not just his. But just because you hear of success doesn’t mean you will get it immediately. Be patient and trust they know what they are doing. Also just because a+b+c worked for you friend, doesn’t mean it will for you. Each diagnosis and treatment is different and therefore may have a different treatment.
I used various things depending on which cycle. I know in the beginning I was doing injections with follistim and timed intercourse. Then moved onto an egg retrieval cycle with follistim and menopur. Also using ganirelix and ovidrel for the trigger. For most of the cycles I used crinone progesterone. The last (successful) one I used progesterone in oil.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
I think they are very knowledgeable and have very quality and qualified doctors that are all great and help out each other when needed. They research and offer classes to help patients regularly. They’re located throughout the city (and state) and easy to get quick appts. The only weakness, although not specific to them I imagine is the cost. Without having insurance coverage, it is super expensive!
Way too much.
Describe Anthony Propst's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Fertility Center.
After several failed attempts, he was open to multiple. We transferred two!

4 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
For IVF [with Dr. Thomas Vaughn], we did a fairly high dose of injectable medications to get as many eggs as possible, but by the time egg retrieval came around, we were risking too many larger follicles trying to get the smaller ones to catch up, so we called it and got fewer than we'd hoped for. After our IVF, Dr. Vaughn said he wouldn't change the protocol if we tried own-egg IVF again, despite the outcome...Dr. Vaughn was overall great to work with. He seemed to truly care about helping us start our family. I was disappointed that he seemed unwilling to try something else when our own-egg IVF cycle failed.
I felt like a human [at Texas Fertility Center] until our own-egg IVF cycle failed and we decided to go abroad for our donor egg cycle. We needed the clinic's help for monitoring, and we were paying out of pocket for ultrasounds, but they were very unaccommodating...Laura [nurse] was wonderful at communicating. Some of the other nurses showed less compassion, especially those who we dealt with less often. Once we decided to only do monitoring through the clinic to prepare for using donor eggs overseas, the nursing staff was much less friendly.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Thomas Vaughn at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Vaughn was overall great to work with. He seemed to truly care about helping us start our family. I was disappointed that he seemed unwilling to try something else when our own-egg IVF cycle failed. He jumped straight to donor eggs instead of being open to trying a different protocol. While donor eggs are what we ultimately proceeded with, I didn't feel listened to, and it felt like he was giving up very quickly on my 29-year-old eggs. I was also disappointed that he wasn't more disappointed or perplexed by the fact that nothing grew past fertilization. Our IVF cycle was a overall very frustrating to us, but it didn't seem that way to him. But as far as his bedside manner and his walking us through treatments during our IUIs and everything leading up to egg retrieval in our IVF, he was wonderful.
Be proactive and advocate for yourself.
I felt like a human until our own-egg IVF cycle failed and we decided to go abroad for our donor egg cycle. We needed the clinic's help for monitoring, and we were paying out of pocket for ultrasounds, but they were very unaccommodating. I told them that I felt like, since they were getting the big bucks from us for a donor egg cycle and only getting a few hundred from us for some ultrasounds, we no longer mattered. We only mattered if we were building a family their way.
I had no trouble producing follicles and eggs, so we started with letrazole and IUIs. Three cycles of that before moving on to a single IUI cycle using an injectable medication. We did this cycle only to test my body's response to the injectable medication in preparation for IVF. At that point, Dr. Vaughn was pretty sure IUI wasn't going to work for us. For IVF, we did a fairly high dose of injectable medications to get as many eggs as possible, but by the time egg retrieval came around, we were risking too many larger follicles trying to get the smaller ones to catch up, so we called it and got fewer than we'd hoped for. After our IVF, Dr. Vaughn said he wouldn't change the protocol if we tried own-egg IVF again, despite the outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Laura was wonderful at communicating. Some of the other nurses showed less compassion, especially those who we dealt with less often. Once we decided to only do monitoring through the clinic to prepare for using donor eggs overseas, the nursing staff was much less friendly.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The clinic is organized, though they tend to run late for appointments. They're great about weekend appointments for monitoring and procedures. You won't necessarily see your doctor, but someone will be there. If you have issues with sample delivery for a procedure, as we once did, the on-call nurses are wonderful about walking you through what to do and keeping you calm. Once we decided to use donor eggs at an overseas clinic, the clinic staff became much colder and much less accommodating to our needs. I told the nurse manager that it felt as though they only cared about helping build families when we were lining their pockets through large treatments, and not when we were simply giving ourselves the best chance for success.
Insurance didn't cover much. Ultrasound monitoring was about $200 per ultrasound. The IUIs were something like $500 each, I believe. The total cost of our IVF cycle was around $15,000, but we received a refund since we didn't make it to transfer. That part was a bit confusing, but they made it as smooth as they possibly could given the circumstances.