Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
3502 9th St
Lubbock, TX 79415
806.743.4256
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery to a friend?

2 doctors
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
The main nurse I worked with [at Texas Tech Center for Fertility and Reproductive Surg] her name is Crystal. She was amazing answering all my questions even when I felt like they were silly. All the other nurses were fabulous as well. Each one is very kind and helped along the way. Also the ladies up at the front desk were and are amazing! Shannon Is a true angel! She was there for me when I needed someone to cry to or even just have a hug.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.
Strengths are all the people you come into contact with are there to help you! Anything literally questions concerns or to just needing a hug they are there for you. Literally everyone I talked to was so helpful. Only thing I'd say about weakness is the waiting period. The waiting period could be a little long on some days. But Dr. Phy always apologized for it. And with the care you get it's worth the wait.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Phy at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
When I first went for a consult with Dr. Phy I knew immediately that I made right choice to change Dr.s Dr. Phy is amazing! She was gentle, encouraging, she was positive she explained everything in detail. She was friendly and non judgmental.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Chrystal)
The main nurse I worked with her name is Crystal. She was amazing answering all my questions even when I felt like they were silly. All the other nurses were fabulous as well. Each one is very kind and helped along the way. Also the ladies up at the front desk were and are amazing! Shannon Is a true angel! She was there for me when I needed someone to cry to or even just have a hug.
How was your experience with Jennifer Phy at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
Dr phy is just flat out amazing. She has wonderful bedside manner. She is easy to talk to she explains everything you need to know up front. Dr phy is non judgmental she is very kind. Dr phy is very encouraging. I had a bad experience previously so I was kinda nervous but from the moment my husband and I walked into her office for our consult we knew we made the right decision. It was like black and white completely different feelings and it was definitely the right choice for us. She has helped us in every step of the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Phy at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
Make sure you call and make an appointment ASAP. Dr. Phy is so popular there can have a 6 month waiting period to see her!
Describe the protocols Jennifer Phy used in your cycles at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery and their degree of success.
So for our treatment with Dr phy we did our 2nd IVF treatment. We used gonal-f, lupron, menopur, and we also added femara to help me ovulate better also she added in progesterone Injections and some pills to help with the embryos stick and for me to not get an infection from the egg retrieval. We were able to get more eggs this round then previous with our old Dr. And we were able to make it to transfer day! But unfortunately my transfer did not work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Phy at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.
I do know Dr. Phy has IVF packages. I'm not sure how much iui is there.
Describe Jennifer Phy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.
My Dr ultimately gave us the choice to pick one embryo or two to transfer but she did say transferring two had higher success rate and it could end in multiple babies which my husband and I were ok with.
Lubbock

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer Phy at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.

2014 - 2018
[Texas Tech University's] Strengths--physician and nurses Weaknesses--clarity in billing. We thought after a specific event we would have a refund in place but it was used for 'other' things. So we thought we would have about a $2500.00 credit...but then as we sat in their office, it was used for other things. It was heartbreaking. For both of us as working individuals, this was extremely devastating and financially difficult.
2014 - 2018
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jaou-Chen Huang at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
He was factual, but so caring. He spent time with us, explained things, drew pictures of the process, and was so excited when we had 18 eggs and 9 embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Their entire team was wonderful and compassionate. Celebrated successes and showed so much support during difficulties. I am a nurse, as well, and I couldn't say a single negative thing about them.
What specific things went wrong at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
How was your experience with Jaou-Chen Huang at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
Dr. Huang was realistic with us. Although we have not had the outcome we had hoped for through IVF, he sincerely cared for us, communicated quickly with us, and went above and beyond when we needed medication through a weekend. He spent time with us at every visit and just truly listened to us and our hopes and frustrations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jaou-Chen Huang at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
He is not 'touchy-feely'...but his compassion truly comes out as he assists you through the process. We didn't need, or want, the touchy feely. We wanted a scientist. Successful and confident but also caring in his own way. He demonstrates caring in that he explains every detail with you, takes your phone calls or texts any time of day, but he probably won't cry with you or possibly convey false hope to build up spirits. He says it how it is...but is so passionate about what he does.
Describe the protocols Jaou-Chen Huang used in your cycles at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery and their degree of success.
Some I have forgotten. We have used letrazole for fertility pill treatments and also we have used a VERY expensive medication I couldn't remember the name of in 2014 along with Lupron for the preparation of the frozen transfer. The 2nd transfer we used more oral hormone based treatments with progesterone injections at first which produced a very odd reaction and then the vaginal suppositories had to be ordered.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jaou-Chen Huang at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.
Approximately $18000 for the first cycle. $750/year storage fee. $4000 for transfers
Describe Jaou-Chen Huang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.
He preferred we transfer 2 embryos. We were ok with this decision.
Lubbock

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jaou-Chen Huang at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.

Other, Unexplained
The clinic [Texas Tech University Health Sciences] overall makes you feel at home and answers any questions you have... I would recommend a new patient because are so kind and want to make your dreams come true...As I come in they [nurses] greet me back and start the ultrasounds. Very gentle and welcoming. They answer any questions I have and lead me to what I need to do next.
Other, Unexplained
The clinic overall makes you feel at home and answers any questions you have. I believe the weakness would be the overall cost of their treatment. Very expensive. I would recommend a new patient because are so kind and want to make your dreams come true.
Was seen after an ectopic pregnancy and she was very compassionate and understanding but most of all encouraging and optimistic. Very thorough, professional and over all the ideal doctor.
As I come in they greet me back and start the ultrasounds. Very gentle and welcoming. They answer any questions I have and lead me to what I need to do next.
Dr. Phy and her staff are truly the best at what they do!!! They explain everything so well and make you feel like family. I recommend anyone with fertility issues come here!!! She is so welcoming. On my first visit she hugged me and it made me feel so loved.
Working with Dr. Phy was a great experience! She was very kind and warm to us even in our darkest time. I have never met a doctor like her. I would recommend her to anyone who is having fertility issues. The rest of the staff was also amazing!
I started on Femara 2.5 mg twice daily on cycle days 3-5. I also went in for a baseline ultrasound on days 1-3. She wanted me to come in for another ultrasound to check my follicles on cycle days 10-13. If my follicles reached 18mm on my right ovary then I could trigger with Ovidril. If not I would have to try again the next month. I lost my left tube due to ectopic pregnancy and my follicles are only maturing in my left ovary. So now I have to do In Vitro Fertilization.
In Vitro Fertilization: Package price is 10,698.00 Additional services: Hospital charges- $750 ICIS- $668 Cryopreservation of embryos- $474 Assisted hatching- $900 Insemenation of oocytes- $686 Embryo storage for a year $750 PGS/PGD- $2,000

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
They [Texas Tech U Health Sciences] have a great new location. There is sometimes a wait, but that's because the staff are so involved and take the time to listen to all of the patients. They are very easy to work with and they are always extra careful to check out insurance restrictions prior to making any testing or procedure plans.... They made sure to call me with lab results even though it was 5 o'c lock on a Friday. They had also rushed the lab to get the results to me before the weekend.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
They have a great new location. There is sometimes a wait, but that's because the staff are so involved and take the time to listen to all of the patients. They are very easy to work with and they are always extra careful to check out insurance restrictions prior to making any testing or procedure plans.
She is very considerate of our feelings and takes time to listen to us and explains things thoroughly. She is never in a rush.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
She seems to want to follow the patient's lead. She presents all options and listens to all of our concerns. She never rushes us out, and will even do an examination if I request it. Her staff is very considerate as well and do everything they can to help us out with appointments or prescription refills.
She is worth the wait to get into. I know it takes months to get in as a new patient, but follow up visits are scheduled much quicker.
She let us try femara and clomid. With Clomid she was very careful to monitor my follicle growth since I had a high risk pregnancy previously and she did not want me to conceive multiples. She has wanted to do an exploratory laparoscopy on me for quite some time, which I keep denying because I have a busy son at home, but her logic is sound and she has been very patient with me while I am still on the fence about it.
My insurance covered the femara, and I paid for Clomid out of pocket. The visits with Dr. Phy are coded for PCOS preventative care so my insurance covers those.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
The clinic [Texas Tech U] is organized and our wait time was usually minimal. The ladies behind the desk are kind and are always willing to answer any questions. They always had my billing in order and let me know how much it would cost ... Debbie [nurse] was organized, punctual and informative. Her personality can seem blunt at times and sometimes she came across as not compassionate. Overall though, she was good at her job and helped us out so many times.
European, Other
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The clinic is organized and our wait time was usually minimal. The ladies behind the desk are kind and are always willing to answer any questions. They always had my billing in order and let me know how much it would cost.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Kaufmann at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
Dr. Kauffman takes the time to talk candidly with you at every appointment. He is patient and takes the time to explain everything in detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Debbie )
Debbie was organized, punctual and informative. Her personality can seem blunt at times and sometimes she came across as not compassionate. Overall though, she was good at her job and helped us out so many times.
How was your experience with Robert Kaufmann at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
Dr. Kauffman is a very kind and informative Dr. He is a great communicator and takes his time to explain things in detail. I had one procedure that turned out to be very painful and he was very compassionate and checked on me several times. I do feel that he used the same protocol over and over and unfortunately I never got the results I wanted. In a sense, I feel that he did not know what steps to take next in helping me get pregnant. Overall, I feel he is a compassionate and caring Dr.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Kaufmann at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery?
Ask questions and be prepared for detailed answers.
Describe the protocols Robert Kaufmann used in your cycles at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery and their degree of success.
I had multiple procedures done with Df. Kauffman. I had 4 IUI’s with Clomid and 1 cycle with Letryzol. He always was very positive after each procedure but I never got a positive pregnancy test.
Robert Kaufmann
Lubbock

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Robert Kaufmann at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery.

There is a long wait to get in the clinic [Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery-Lubbock] as a patient. But the dr. Phy is definitely worth the wait. The receptionist always remember your name and always greet you with a smile. The office is very nice and clean and comfortable...The nurses are very nice. Overall they are good no major complaints...She [Dr. Jennifer Phy] is very positive which is a great thing when struggling with infertility! She always makes you feel calm and hopeful.
There is a long wait to get in the clinic as a patient. But the dr. Phy is definitely worth the wait. The receptionist always remember your name and always greet you with a smile. The office is very nice and clean and comfortable.
She cares a lot, and makes you feel like family. She will give you hugs and always stays very positive.
The nurses are very nice. Overall they are good no major complaints.
She is very positive which is a great thing when struggling with infertility! She always makes you feel calm and hopeful. She is always working to find the problem and the solution to the problem. When something isn’t working she immediately reevaluates the situation to figure out the next move.
Don’t be scared to ask questions she is very willing to sit down and talk with you and answer all your questions.
We have only done one treatment with her. I had the laparoscopic surgery for endo and then when I healed we went on to letroze for 5 days (2 2.5mg pills) we then weighted about a week to let the follicle grow more on its own. When it was ready we did a shot of ovadril and IUI. The treatment was unsuccessful. We are currently on our 2nd treatment with her. Letrozal 5mg daily till follicle reaches 18.
I have insurance they covers a lot of my ultrasounds due to having pcos. The IUI after insurance it only $450. And my meds are normally covered.
Lubbock

We rarely had to wait over 10 min [at Texas Tech Reproductive Center]. It was easy to schedule appointments and check out. The staff was very friendly, they all tried to know you. I did not like that the blood draw area was not private. There were 2 blood chairs and the restroom was off that room.... IUI was approx $1500 IVF retrieval started around$12,000 Retrieval meds
We rarely had to wait over 10 min. It was easy to schedule appointments and check out. The staff was very friendly, they all tried to know you. I did not like that the blood draw area was not private. There were 2 blood chairs and the restroom was off that room.
The Dr, nurses and even receptionist genuinely cared about us, our personal lives and we'll being.
She was kind, professional and caring.
He was always very detailed and optimistic. Sadly our fertility treatment was unsuccessful but I did become pregnant naturally a month after he performed surgery on me. We are now pregnant with our second child. He removed a septum on my uterus, scar tissue, cleaned my tubes and scraped my uterus. I had 3 miscarriages prior to seeing Dr Huang.
Voice all f your concerns. There are no stupid questions. You are paying for their help.
We tried 3 IUIs first. My body created cysts from Clomid so we tried a different drug. We then did 1 egg retrieval and 2 frozen transfers. Unfortunately 1 embryo did not survive the thawing process.
IUI was approx $1500 IVF retrieval started around$12,000 Retrieval meds
He recommended only transferring 1 embryo. Which we did the first cycle. The second time we used our remaining two and were still unsuccessful.

2016 - 2019
Endometriosis, PCOS
[The nurses at Texas Tech University Health Sciences were] Wonderful, helpful, nice, compassionate...Take your time, they are there for you. They listen and are always willing to help. They let you know cost up front and will walk you through it all. Great team to help with anyone going through infertility...We will be doing a multiple embryo transfer coming up [with Dr. Phy]. Higher chances of success...She is wonderful...Very to the point. Lets you know what to expect and
2016 - 2019
Endometriosis, PCOS
Very personal, sweet, took her time
Wonderful, helpful, nice, compassionate
She is wonderful. Very to the point. Lets you know what to expect and what she wants from you and your partner. Very helpful and compassionate. She let's you know everything that is going on and shows you everything.
Have patients.
She walked us through our iuis and our medicated cycles. She showed us the ultrasounds and would give insight on what was going on and why we havent gotten pregnant yet.
We changed insurances. The first one did not cover very much. Our new one is so much better and helps so much more. Still need to save, but they tell you up front
We will be doing a multiple embryo transfer coming up. Higher chances of success
Lubbock
I think they were organized [at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center for Fertility & Reproductive Surgery]. I think the support staff was great. I just wish the doctor [Dr. Chen Huang] would have done more. The staff calmed my nerves when I needed surgery. I heard good things about the other doctor in rye office but they told me I had to stay with my assigned doctor...I had to have a surgery and his nurses helped me with getting off of work and fought for me with my employer.
I think they were organized. I think the support staff was great. I just wish the doctor would have done more. The staff calmed my nerves when I needed surgery. I heard good things about the other doctor in rye office but they told me I had to stay with my assigned doctor.
I felt like if they had thought I would have had more of a chance to get pregnant I would have had more interest from the doctor
They were great. I had to have a surgery and his nurses helped me with getting off of work and fought for me with my employer.
I think he was very knowledgeable but I think if my chances at getting pregnant were higher he may have shown more interest. He told me not to waste my money. I felt like he didnt want to try to help me.
Go in expecting to walk away with no hope that way if he give you hope it will feel better. Don't go in with hope.
My insurance covered diagnostic and nothing else and since all I did was diagnostic I dont know how much the out of pocket would have been
He didn't even give me that as an option.