The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
18707 Hardy Oak
San Antonio, TX 78258
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio to a friend?
7.3
1 doctor
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Some days they [nurses at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio] are pre-occupied, other days they are very supportive and understanding...I'm okay with paying the money for my services but I feel I should have better communication with the doctor. If I'm telling you the trigger shot isn't working, you should take this into consideration and look further into this... I very rarely see the doctor.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Garza at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio?
At times I feel like a number. I very rarely see the doctor. Ive also stated several times the hcg shot they've administered isn't working properly. And it didn't 1 month, because I had 2 cysts from the previous months follicles. But they were trying to move me on to injectables. Not happy about this
Some days they are pre-occupied, other days they are very supportive and understanding. I'm okay with this sometimes.
How was your experience with Joseph Garza at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio?
I've talked to the officer manager more than anyone else. I feel like she passivity me instead of getting to the root of my issues. Overall, the office staff is helpful but I feel like a number. I suffer with endometriosis, low ovarian reserve and annovulation. I also had exploratory surgery because I had a several tumors that I carried for years. I have had one successful birth but this was over 20 yeas ago. I'm coming close to the age where I cant have children so I'm ready to do this. Also, I just found out this doctors ivf is so much more than other doctors. I recently also learned that there are other options for ivf not just the standard procedure. I've heard about the invocell. Thought this might be something to look into
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Garza at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio?
Going thro
Describe the protocols Joseph Garza used in your cycles at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio and their degree of success.
First treatment was clomid with hcg and iui. I was very hopeful but it didn't pan out. Next few cycles we tried clomid with hcg and relations.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Garza at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
I've paid for most services out of pocket besides the surgery. Most of this was covered by insurance. I've been seeing this doctor close to 9 months I've spent up to $7000.
Describe Joseph Garza's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
Honestly, I'm okay with either. My husband wants more than 1 child so if I were to have multiple births, I'm okay with this. I want the best chance of having a baby. Over the years I've seen woman become pregnant like hot cakes. I've fought hard to get where I'm at.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The whole nursing staff [at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio] is awesome. They are understanding and helpful. They don't do unnecessary treatments and are helpful when it comes to financial situations.... Everyone in the clinic seemed to remember you from visit to visit. They remembered details not pertaining to treatment and always answer any questions I have...and it's a lot!
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
The clinic is in a very nice facility. Easy to get to and very near the stone oak medical center.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio. (Assigned nurse: Pricilla )
The whole nursing staff is awesome. They are understanding and helpful. They don't do unnecessary treatments and are helpful when it comes to financial situations.
Dr Garza has been doing this a long time. It shows in his knowledge. He can sometimes be soft spoken but always makes me feel comfortable. What I like best is his willingness to try the next thing when I didn't respond to treatments. I am awaiting a surgery to remove a cyst and fibrosis. Dr. Garza feels it is important to do this step and find out if there could be another reason I have not responding to treatments. Whenever I have questions he answers them in detail and without making me feel stupid.
Ask lots of questions. He tends to state the fact and be ready to move on. If you ask questions he will answer them.
I did 3 rounds of clomid. The first round I missed my progresterone test to tell if I ovulated. When I went in they did an ultrasound and found a few cysts. They recommended a month of birth control to clear the cysts. The next month I had to redo the loswest dosage of clomid Because it hadn't been confirmed with the day 21 test that I had ovulated. I got a 7.5 on my progresterone test that month. I was told it was ovulation but they wanted to see stronger number. They doubled the dosage (100mg) but my test showed a 0so absolutely no ovulation. My scan showed a very large (7cm) cyst on my left ovary and they became more concerned about a smallish fibroid on my uterus. Again another month of birth control and awaiting laparoscopic surgery to remove the problems and give a better idea of the next steps.
Insurance did not cover any of our treatments after diagnosis. I felt it was more affordable than I imagined, around $150-200 per visit depending on if I had an ultasound or not. I felt they were very aware of the cost and did not do testing or labs if there was a more affordable way to do it. I have not yet gotten passed the clomid stage of treatment.
None
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
...It can be very frustrating. If you have an appointment [at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio] and have to see a nurse they are not good at explaining things and expect you to know everything they know. They have gotten frustrated with my persistence to have things explained but if you are paying them this much money you expect answers. I have left the nurses frustrated and in tears.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
The clinic is very clean, neat, and in a very nice area of town. You can get blood work done in the clinic which is very convenient.
Dr. Garza has a great bed side manner, he is caring, he takes his time, he gives plenty of opportunities to ask questions, he doesn't pressure me into expensive procedures, he talks to my husband and I like a friend, and is very kind and patient.
The nurses prefer to have all patients use the "patient portal" to communicate and get results. The problem is that they take a really long time to enter test results, medication that has been called in, and to answer questions. The receptionist will urge you to use the portal first before letting you speak to a nurse. Your cycle is so time sensitive and the nurses get to you when they can I suppose. It can be very frustrating. If you have an appointment and have to see a nurse they are not good at explaining things and expect you to know everything they know. They have gotten frustrated with my persistence to have things explained but if you are paying them this much money you expect answers. I have left the nurses frustrated and in tears.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio?
He laid out a clear plan and what should be expected. The only complaint is that I wish I could see him more often but I know he has a lot of patients to take care of. Overall, Dr. Garza has been amazing!
Always bring prepared questions with you to the appointments so you don't forget anything. You will probably only see him about once a month in the beginning and he explains things way better than the nurses. Your experience could be different depending on your course of treatment.
Before coming to Dr. Garza I had gone through 2 miscarriages and my OBGYN did not have an explanation. I was already 35 and knew a friend who had success with Dr. Garza. He started off with lots of blood work, for both me and my husband, and tests just to see if everything was okay with us and what he was dealing with. I was diagnosed a month ago with PCOD which is apparently just like PCOS. Two months ago I was given Clomid to raise my Progesterone levels and this past month was Metformin and Clomid. The hormones have affected me some and the Metfomin makes me sick to my stomach and dizzy. I'm supposed to take 2000mg of Metformin a day but I've only been able to work up to 1500mg so far. He advised me to start using an ovulation kit even though ovulation kits say that they don't work for people with PCOS. So after two months of trying we are about to start another month with no luck but I know my body has to adjust to the medication.. Right now I'm scared I won't be able to conceive without using more expensive treatments.
This depends on your insurance and course of treatment. Personally we have spent a little over a thousand dollars. They do have financing options available for expensive treatments.
2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr Garza was good but the nursing staff [Advanced Fertility of Center of San Antonio] was terrible. As a patient, you need a warm environment who welcome questions.... One nurse, Cristina, was great. The other nurses were very cold and didn’t smile much.... The nurses gave me conflicting results and information than the doctor. I was having to constantly follow up to verify. They also didn’t put down my appointment one time.
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
Dr Garza was good but the nursing staff was terrible. As a patient, you need a warm environment who welcome questions. I would try other doctors and see where you find comfort while going through this difficult process. I moved to a different clinic and got a baby boy my first round with them. I felt free to email the doctor directly and she went out of her way to help us.
Dr Garza was very nice and a nurse who is no longer there was very sweet. The rest of the office staff made you feel bad for asking questions and were cold. They told me wrong information on several occasions.
One nurse, Cristina, was great. The other nurses were very cold and didn’t smile much. They made it uncomfortable for you to ask questions and would actually make me leave holding back tears.
Dr Garza was very nice and experienced. He might not have been as forthcoming as I would have liked. He told me wrong results one time but he made me feel comfortable most of the time. He should have canceled my cycle but didn’t so we got poor results. He does a lot of surgeries or procedures on patients. He was good at answering questions.
Ask many questions
My first IUI has nothing but clomid. I had too many follicles so we cancelled cycle, cut it in half, then did the next cycle. I resulted in an ovarian ectopic pregnancy and a miscarriage. My next iui cycle was with clomid and resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The third iui resulted in no pregnancy. My Ivf we used bravelle and menopur. I wasn’t responding to the meds so the cycle should have been cancelled. It wasn’t so we only got 4 eggs and two bad quality embryos.
30k for ivf 2500 for each iui
San Antonio
I felt like I had a connection with Dr Garza and all of his staff. I never felt like a number, my case was very complicated but I always felt like they all were invested as much as I was to be successful....Great communication Compassionate Dr and staff Not treated like a number Longer visits.. but worth it...They're [nurses] the best. Great communication skills , followed through every time- found programs to help that I had never even heard of - considering I had been at other clinics.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio. (Assigned nurse: Arena and michelle )
They're the best. Great communication skills , followed through every time- found programs to help that I had never even heard of - considering I had been at other clinics.
He's the most caring and well informed, compassionate and honestly took time to discuss results until we understood. Spoke with us after clinic hours when we needed it. I've seen other Dr fir fertility fir over 3 years and maybe saw the dr 2-3 times over 8 months of treatment and testing. Dr. Garza was a part of our treatment and was very available if we wanted to discuss our progress.
Your consult may take time but the amount of information and history he personally takes with you is so eye opening it's incredible. His staff is absolutely outstanding!!
I previously had seen a provider who made it seem as my treatment was cookie cutter and the same fir all patients. Dr. Garza's first words were there is no vanilla- each pt requires personalized stimulations to supplement their needs.
I did 1 iui cycle and 1 IVF cycle. IVF was approx 11,000 plus meds and my PGS
It was a scary thought but the information provided made us completely comfortable with our decision.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Advanced Fert Ctr] overall is normally very nice and helpful. The sonographer, Veronica was always very sweet and encouraging!... The iui bundle with clomid was 1100 including costs of ultrasounds and associated labs.... Many of the nurses were very nice, sympathetic to my situation, and were able to answer some of my questions. Every once and awhile, I felt like I was just a number with them, but my experiences were mostly good ones overall.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
I fell that Dr. Garza is a very good and experienced physician, and although there may be a wait to see him, it is worth it. The clinic overall is normally very nice and helpful. The sonographer, Veronica was always very sweet and encouraging!
He was very personal and took time explaining questions that I had thoroughly.
Dr. Garza is a very experienced physician in his specialty. He takes the time to explain procedures and the plan of care. When my husband was very skeptical about I've, he came in and sat with him and answered allof his questions and reassure ld him regarding the procedure. He was honest about the statistics regarding ivf.
The wait can be long in the office, but he really does take care of his patients when he is in the room.
He recommended ivf with clomid 50mg after an unsuccessful round of clomid with relations. It was unsuccessful, but I did produce two large follicles, which was promising. The next recommendation was IUI with injectables, which was 3,000, and out of our budget. We opted to try relations again with clomid 50mg, which was unsuccessful.
Anovulation, Unexplained
I had to postpone my IUI procedure because they [Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio] failed to communicate my spouse was lacking bloodwork they forgot to ask for. I ended up leaving that clinic after that.... i had so much treatment done before any answers were given. I had months and months of hormone pills and injections without a complete bloodwork or diagnosis.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Advanced Fertility Center of San Antonio.
They were good at informing me of my insurance and billing questions
I feel they did all the work. But I really wanted the doctor instead. It was a different nurse every time. I hate that.
Sense of humor. Other than that, hardly talked to him. I didn't like the way he joked, like "Are you sure you want kids? They are a handful!" That was a very WRONG thing to say to me. I'm already vulnerable and you joke like that? Very long wait for each visit. The nurses seemed to take care of my treatment instead of him. Office was very bad at communicating.
Do your research. If you are spending all this money, you shouldn't feel like a number.
Organized