The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
120 Osler Drive
Naperville, IL 60540
630-428-2229
1900 E. Golf Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60173
847-593-1040
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute to a friend?
1 doctor
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Immunological
All of the nurses and support staff were wonderful. At least three of them when through IVF themselves which made such a difference in their care and treatment.... The clinic [Advanced Gyn Surg Inst] has a handful of nurses and you are assigned one primary nurse when you start the process. It really helps to have that one point of contact to lean on through out. They communicate via phone and through on online portal which I really like.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Immunological
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
The clinic has a handful of nurses and you are assigned one primary nurse when you start the process. It really helps to have that one point of contact to lean on through out. They communicate via phone and through on online portal which I really like. I’m a visual processor so seeing my results online first really helps. I then call Wendy if I have any follow up questions or concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Miller at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Dr Miller took the time to understand what we wanted out of our infertility journey at the beginning and continually checked in to make sure our goals were still being met. Additionally, he took the time to get to know more about us as people. That attention to detail and humanization trickled down to his staff, as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
How was your experience with Charles Miller at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Dr Miller is a little quirky and his personality could be off-putting to some people. If you are looking for a extremely nurturing and loving doctor, he’s not it. He is, however, very friendly and honest and does a great job explaining all of the options, risks and success rates. Overall, I chose Dr Miller because he is one of the best at diagnosis fertility issues and creating a customized protocol that will get you the baby you need.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Miller at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Be honest about what you are looking for and any concerns you have about the process.
Describe the protocols Charles Miller used in your cycles at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute and their degree of success.
We ended up going with an antagonist ganarelix cycle for our egg retrieval that resulted in 12 eggs, all mature, 10 fertilized and 8 day 5 embryos. We transferred 1 egg as a fresh transfer and froze the other 7. The transfer resulted in a live birth. The decision to go with the anatagonist protocol was due to our MFI and diminished ovarian reserve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Miller at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
We were fortunate that our insurance covered a large amount of the cost. The medication cost was approx $3000
Describe Charles Miller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
Dr Miller only gave us two options 1 or 2 embryos and was very clear on the success rates for single vs multiple births. We collectively agreed to start with 1 and then reevaluate if the first transfer didn’t work.
4 IVF, 8 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
They [nurses at Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute] are a bit unorganized for somebody that’s been in the field for so long, however I do believe they are trying to accommodate everyone that sees Dr. Miller...I feel the nurse staff should have been a little bit more clear at the beginning at my first nurse consult. They should have explained to me more about the window of opportunity to do certain cycles at certain times. I got my period on a certain day last month thinking that I would be able to move forward with my retrieval, to only find out that I did not fall into the window of opportunity therefore I had to wait another month! Which is very crucial to me ...Because my situation is very time sensitive, for I am turning 45 in a few weeks!
4 IVF, 8 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
I feel it’s very important to be your own advocate! Ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research! Sometimes things can be forgotten about or phone calls may take some time to be returned! I truly believe that Dr. Miller wants the best for all his patients however the communication skills from the nurses are not the greatest! So it’s important to stay on top of everything and just believe that everything will fall into place as it should.
Dr. miller is vey straight forward, and that’s exactly what I need after so many failed cycles. I need answers, and he is helping me find them. He is a very busy man, but I believe it is because he wants to help women achieve their goals of having a baby.
They are a bit unorganized for somebody that’s been in the field for so long, however I do believe they are trying to accommodate everyone that sees Dr. Miller.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
I have Not been with Dr. Charles Miller for very long, since last August! We have been doing a lot of investigating testing to why all my 13 failed transfers have not worked. He has been very straightforward and very helpful and I truly believe that he wants to help me achieve success and having a baby. I believe he leaves no stone unturned! And even though he is very busy with a lot of patience, I believe it is because he wants to help everyone that asks for his help!
Be your own advocate, ask lots of questions!
Done so far. I’m in the process of backing starting Nother retrieval cycle that I will have about a week! My protocol Consists of menupor, Folistim, lovenox steroid for auto immune, baby aspirin, and ganirelix ....My last retrieval produced 11 eggs and so far have seven day one frozen embryos.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
In general, I did not have to wait very long especially at the Park Ridge office there was hardly any wait at all! And I feel they are very thorough with the monitoring.
BeI guess almost 45 years old, it is very important that we do PGS testing, which is extremely expensive and this will be our fourth PGS testing ...This will be our first time doing these tests with Dr Charles Miller, and they are not cheap. Also, we have spent a lot of money doing certain tests that were out of pocket, like some blood work and ERA TEST.
We will be doing a single embryo transfer because we will be doing PGS testing
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
From the first visit we could tell Dr. Miller was very detailed orientated and organized by the notes he took. He spoke with a high degree of confidence, but not did not boost. Dr. Miller took the time to answer all of our questions in detail and addressed misleading concerns presented to us from another doctor. We felt safe in Dr. Miller's care. The only negative was we were unable to speak with Dr. Miller after my wife's surgery.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
The clinic it is very good organized, friendly and very fast
Dr Miller treated us with respect and explained in detail the entire process. Also Dr. Miller assured us he would never put my wife's health at risk.
They are organize and explained every step by the phone calls but when you see them at the clinic they need to be more organize and do not let you wait so long just for a question
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Be patient and realize this is a process, He is sending you to several tests and procedures that may be required. over and over again
First He wrote down the plan for my first step of the treatment, then they took a blood test for my thyroid, prolactin and defect gens. As a result he increase my thyroid drug and my gens were fine and my prolactin was elevated. Then, he send me for ultrasound , hystorosonogram , and endometrial biopsy as a result he was able to see my big fibroid specific location, my right tube was blocked and my biopsy was good, also he wanted all my information for previews doctors and surgeries. After that, I was able to have my Mhyomectomy and He removed my big fibroid, my right Fallopian tube (because it was damage for the scar tissue) and He cleaned my liver, intestines and my uterus because all the scar tissue. Finally he put a special mash on my stomach wall to prevent the scar tissue grow again. Now as a result of the surgery I am on the next step of the treatment ,what is taking all the vitamins and thinking about the possibility of the IVF treatment to be pregnant.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
At the time I was there [Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute] it could be disorganized at times, especially since there was not electronic record keeping. That has since changed. There was also a lot of staff turnover - I'm not sure if that has changed. Wait times for appointments and monitoring could often be long. The billing department was never an issue. Dr Miller was well worth any of the shortcomings of the clinic as a whole.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
At the time I was there it could be disorganized at times, especially since there was not electronic record keeping. That has since changed. There was also a lot of staff turnover - I'm not sure if that has changed. Wait times for appointments and monitoring could often be long. The billing department was never an issue. Dr Miller was well worth any of the shortcomings of the clinic as a whole.
It is a busy clinic but Dr. Miller always took as much time as necessary when meeting with you. There was some staff turnover while I was there, especially with the nurses, so sometimes I didn't always feel like they truly knew me or my case.
There was a lot of turnover at the time so it often did not feel like there was consistent communication from the nurses - I would often have to follow up or contact them when waiting for results etc. At the time I was there they did not have electronic records which also made things a bit chaotic. They have since moved to electronic record keeping and communication through a portal which I have been told has improved the situation. Most of the staff was always friendly even when things weren't the most organized.
He is a very competent dr - one of the best in the field. He always took time to answer our questions and was very thorough. He was willing to try different protocols with me before moving to donor eggs whereas my previous dr tried one protocol two times and then said I needed to love to donor eggs, which I was not ready for. He does tend to run very late.
Be prepared to wait - but he is worth it!
I do not remember my protocols.
Insurance covered our care 100% after meeting our deductible. We were also able to have the costs of our donor's retrieval covered. Billing always went very smoothly - never had any issues, even with our donor.
He allowed us to transfer two but would not have done more. We felt very well informed on the risks and benefits of transferring one vs two - he ultimately left the decision up to us.
Naperville
I can’t think of any strengths [with the nurses at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute] honestly. They didn’t always call back. I feel like if I call to ask if there’s a result in at least call me or send me a message saying results are not in. Instead I felt like I was an annoyance for asking questions or if asked for anything. I strongly believe they lacked compassion...The clinic was nice and clean. The wait time is horrible. If you have to work the morning of your test anticipate being late ALL the time. The secretaries are not friendly. They don’t look up to at least say hi half the time.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
I didn’t feel so much as a number with dr Miller but with his staff I did. They weren’t as understanding or compassionate as you would want them. It’s a very difficult process to go thru.
I can’t think of any strengths honestly. They didn’t always call back. I feel like if I call to ask if there’s a result in at least call me or send me a message saying results are not in. Instead I felt like I was an annoyance for asking questions or if asked for anything. I strongly believe they lacked compassion.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Dr Miller is smart and knows his stuff. I felt that he gave my husband and i options but also given his experience what he would recommend. Which we really appreciated. He was confident in his treatment plan for us. And his positive ness and confidence helped us find a some hope that it could work. We were blessed that one did take and now I’m 31 weeks pregnant and excited for my baby shower this weekend.
Hang in there and have a positive attitude that maybe this will be the one doctor to help you get pregnant. Ask tons of questions until you feel comfortable!
I just remember dr Miller said he used the most aggressive protocol he had on me. But since I have DOR I really only produced 6-7 eggs that were retrievable.
Medications and extra labs that Miller would request. Most to a lab that was not covered by insurance bc according to miller it’s the only lab he trusts to base his work off of. So that made things more expensive
Naperville
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
[The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute has] No weaknesses. They run a great practice. I always felt like I was receiving individualized care and it never felt like a cattle call. From the first appointment until I was released to my OBGYN, I had a great experience... Dr. Miller performed D&C and hysteroscopy. From there, he uncovered my uterine septum. Three months later, Dr. Miller performed surgery to repair the septum. A few months after that we did a FET that was successful!
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
Dr. Miller and his staff always made my care feel personalized. Dr. Miller took the time to meet with me and my spouse to go over my history, the current issues/challenges, and what the course of action and options we had to try and become parents. He covered ALL options and was very honest, thorough, and realistic. The expectations were clear. Treatment was not a guarantee.
They were thorough, knowledgeable, and compassionate.
We owe everything to Dr. Miller. He diagnosed me with a uterine septum pretty quickly after switching to his clinic from another one. During my first appointment he uncovered something was unusual with the shape of my uterus. He confirmed it while performing a D&C (the pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage was from an IVF treatment from the previous clinic I was going to prior to seeing Dr. Miller). I spent years at another clinic that couldn't explain why I was having reoccurring miscarriages and Dr. Miller uncovered it pretty much right away. He is the most knowledgeable and comprehensive doctor in his field. The expert in infertility and uterine issues.
Take a deep breath and follow Dr. Miller's instructions and recommendations. Sometimes I would get frustrated because we were doing procedures I had previously done at the previous clinic but that just goes to show that Dr. Miller is very thorough. He wants to have the uterus in perfect condition to increase the changes of conceiving. What I sometimes felt was redundant was necessary as I look back.
I did not to an egg retrieval with Dr. Miller as that was done at the previous clinic I was at. When I first came to Dr. Miller, I was pregnant from an FET performed at a different clinic. The previous doctor informed me that I would miscarry as growth had stopped around 7-8 weeks. Dr. Miller performed D&C and hysteroscopy. From there, he uncovered my uterine septum. Three months later, Dr. Miller performed surgery to repair the septum. A few months after that we did a FET that was successful!
I don't really remember. Insurance covered portions of the treatment and procedures.
The choice was up to me but I only had 2 frozen embryos left. Both were good quality (A and BB). Because my uterus and lining looked perfect, we decided to transfer the best quality egg (the A) and it worked!
Naperville
It is nice that they [Advanced IVF] have the Schaumburg office but it would have been nice to be able to have all appointments there. Transfers and IUI procedures are only done at the Naperville office...I liked how I was treated at this office, it Dinkins of feel like an assembly line of a baby making factory though. Everyone was very nice and personable... I never had a problem with the nursing staff all were nice and explained anything they were doing.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
It is nice that they have the Schaumburg office but it would have been nice to be able to have all appointments there. Transfers and IUI procedures are only done at the Naperville office.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and I was almost 40 years old, once on medications to help control the PCOS and regulate my cycle my body seemed to respond well. I did 3 rounds of IUI with the 3rd being cancelled because I had 6 eggs that looked ready to release. I then had another appointment with Dr. Miller where we decided to move on to IVF in order to control the amount of embryos. I did one round of IVF egg retrieval was not bad and 12 were pulled 8 were mature and 7 successfully fertilized. Two of my eggs that were grown for 5 days and were B grade were then transferred. The transfer was successful and I was pregnant with 1 of the 2 embryos implanted. I carried to 23 weeks 5 days when I had a lazy cervix and then a placental abrubtion. This was no fault of the Dr. My son was born 1lb 5oz. And spsnt 5 months and 1 day in the hospital but is now a healthy happy 15 month old boy.
Thankfully I had HMO (knowing I was going to be trying to get pregnant I opted to pay for the more expensive coverage of HMO knowing it covered infertility, just in case) and everything was covered at 100 percent. The only thing we had to pay for was my husbands blood work. If I had realized we had to pay for it I would have had him go somewhere else to have it done because it would have been cheaper. I assumed my HMO would have paid for it because they paid for the other tests for him. So I am not going to complain for $300 out ofnpocket is about all I paid.
Schaumburg
The communication between his Schaumburg and Naperville offices is also very poor. I had to wait up to an hour on several occasions for bloodwork because the Schaumburg location hadn't received the required paperwork from the Naperville location. I also had issues with their billing/finance dept which has ultimately cost me thousands of dollars unnecessarily...I also had issues with his nurses getting information wrong which was very frustrating and led to my having to request a different nurse as I didn't have confidence in the direction she was giving me.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
I liked him just fine personally. I had read not to expect any warm fuzzies from him, but I thought he was pretty compassionate. He doesn't mince words, explains everything pretty black and white. I do feel he misled us a bit. He explains the success rates for each type of procedure, ending with there is a 40% chance of success with a PGS normal embryo, but he doesn't discuss the probability of IVF success in general. From our experience he has 2 protocols with no deviations from that.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
I generally liked Dr. Miller, except that he seems to only have 2 IVF protocols. After our 2nd failed IVF, he said that he would just keep doing the same protocol until we were either successful or we wanted to move onto donor egg or just gave up.
We did the Ganirelex protocol the first time with poor results. The next time we did bcp & microdose Lupron with, in his opinion, better results. In our opinion they were the same results because ultimately both times we transferred 2 - day 3 embryos with nothing to freeze & bpn at the end. Dr. Miller said the quality of the embryos the 2nd time was better. After the 2nd failure he said that this was a numbers game and we could continue trying with my own eggs but at some point may need to consider donor eggs. He said that he would continue to do the same protocol as the 2nd time. The 3rd time we did get better results, we were able to transfer 2 - day 5 blasts, nothing to freeze. We got our bfp, which resulted in a blighted ovum at 7 weeks and D&C at 8 weeks. This was the end of January 2017. Since then, we have consulted with 3 different RE's as I can't justify continuing to do the same thing over and over & expect to get better results. The first 2 agreed that we should continue with the microdose Luptron protocol, with some changes. All 3 agreed that using birth control leading up to the cycle was not the way to go, even though that is Dr. Miller's protocol. I was told estrogen priming is better and using human growth hormone during the cycle would improve our results. Dr. Miller does not us HGH. I am disappointed in Dr. Miller in that he wasn't willing to tweak anything to see if it would help. He doesn't seem up on the latest options. I have heard he is THE BEST surgeon, but at this point, I would have to question the infertility part of his practice.
We paid about $14,000 out of pocket for first IVF, then found out too late that my insurance would have covered the monitoring. So we are out thousands of dollars because of this.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Immunological
[Adv IVF - Ch Miller - Schaum clinic is...] VERY high tech when it comes to the science but could be more high tech in terms of the communication. Would nice to do some things over email...very hard to get a hold of someone for question (need to call nurse, then they call me back, what if I miss the call...)...[Nurses are...] Very completely organized. Advocate for me. Very compassionate. They all want me to do well and have been a wonderful support team. Could use an update in terms of communication...voice mail box/paperwork is tedious...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Immunological
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
Felt like a number sometimes...crazy busy hours, lots of patients. WAITING for a 20 minute WTF appointment. But when we are in that appointment, he definitely spent time explaining what went wrong and how we can try to improve for the next time.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
First IVF Retrieval: 1 successful pregnancy. Coming back for #2 was a different story. Always wants to try new things, get more information. Found out that I had immune infertility issue after two chemical pregnancies. Changed course of action and did retrieval number 2. Five embryos, four normal. My first IVF retrieval had 30 eggs, the 2nd had less. Felt much better overall and had better quality eggs because he changed course of action.
He will not hold your hand through this process. He doesn't have time. You will feel like a number. But...he is SMART. he looks for the problem. He wants you to get pregnant. He doesn't say, this will never happen. You need to find your warm and fuzzies elsewhere.
Both times used a combo of follistim and menopur. The first time we went heavier doses of follistim (a recruiter) and less menopur. 29 mature eggs, 21 fertilized (ICSI) and 9 retrieved. 3 embryos used when going to transfer (one didnt survive thaw), two put back, one resulted in successful pregnancy. Second time we had heavier doses of menopur 16 eggs, 12 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 embryos, 4 were genetically tested to be normal. Putting 1 normal embryo back on 10/17/16
Very minimal...my insurance covers everything.
Schaumburg
The early morning hours for montioring were great!...My primary nurse overall was very organized and knowledgable. Occasionally she was not as compassionate as I would have liked, the other nurse that would cover for my primary when she was out was a lot more compassionate and I wish she would have been my primary....every once in a while I would not be able to get one of the early timeslots which would cause me to be late to work especially if they were running behind.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
The early morning hours for montioring were great! For the most part I was able to get in before work without an issue, every once in a while I would not be able to get one of the early timeslots which would cause me to be late to work especially if they were running behind.
Dr Miller was very thorough in providing testing to determine what the best course of treatment was and why that was his recommendation. While I would have liked a little more interaction with him, the vast majority of my appointments were testing/monitoring and I could see why that is not necessary. After every test the he reivewed the results and provided timely instruction so I knew what the next steps were.
Make sure to come prepared with any and all questions that you may have. It is a lot of information to take in and you may not think of your questions while you are in the office, so write them down.
I do not remember the name of the specific protocol. I was on lupron for a couple week prior, then started taking 75 of menopur in the am and various amounts of follistim in the pm. My doses of follistim were adjusted multiple due to my reactions to the medication. I ended up in a freeze all cycle due to OHSS, which did end up landing me overnight in the hospital even with receiving medication to try and stop it. My next cycle was a FET with 2 embroyos, which was successful and I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with twins.
I do not recall, I had multiple insurace policies to assist with paying. I went to the marketplace to purchase my own insurance to cover treatment since the insurance through my employer did not have coverage.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
They [Adv IVF - Ch Miller - Naperville] were pretty in time for blood work and ultrasounds, but behind for procedures and more intensive appointments. I loved my ultrasound techs...Sometimes I felt like what the nurse said to do after an appointment was different than what Dr Miller initially said. I always emailed him when this happened or asked for a return call...His nurses are a little formulaic in how they treat you. I did feel that sometimes they were "just making another call."...
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
They were pretty in time for blood work and ultrasounds, but behind for procedures and more intensive appointments. I loved my ultrasound techs.
My questions were always answered and took the time for extra monitoring when I needed it or wanted it. Testing was thorough and we left no stone unturned. Nurses always called me back in a timely fashion. Dr Miller never rushed my appointments and talked me through all my options
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute. (Assigned nurse: Wendy, Jessica )
His nurses are a little formulaic in how they treat you. I did feel that sometimes they were "just making another call." They weren't amazing about me asking for other appointments, but I think it's because they can't manipulate his schedule. Overall, they were great, but it's a stressful process and sometimes I was frustrated.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Dr. Miller listened to my concerns and questions and answered then completely and made sure I was comfortable with the course of treatment, especially because my complications were rare. When I had a miscarriage he let me steer the cours of how proactive I wanted to be for answers. I did wait a long time for him at appointments, but I didn't mind that much because I felt like he took the time with me and he managed to squeeze me in when my treatment cycle needing changing.
Know before you go. I think he appreciated that I was an educated patient and asked thoughtful questions. I had been through IVF many times by the time I saw him so I had many questions about why his cycle plans for me were so different. Don't be afraid to email him. He responds to questions.
Dr. Miller emphasized quality not quantity. I retrieved less eggs, but they were better rated. I also think his standards for grading embryos are very high. Once I had a miscarriage, we did a complete immune panel and found some potential issues and he treated it accordingly. For egg retrieval, I was on Gonal F and Menopur. He does estrogen support in pill form and suppositories- no patches. I also was on his supplement recommendations, lovenox for immune issues and PIO. He is super cautious and used way more PIO than my previous doctor.
My insurance coverage was great so I was fortunate. The drugs that weren't covered were cautiously ordered so I didn't overspend.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
It is clear that Dr. Miller's office [The Advanced Gynecology Surgery Institute] does a high volume of patients and they are set up/staffed accordingly. The nursing and admin staff is all very friendly and I always felt that they were working with my best interests at heart, but they were clearly very busy and the amount of personalized attention is definitely limited.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
The clinic does a high volume of patients and is very regimented. The care is not very personal, but the staff is very friendly, somewhat remarkable for the amount of volume they do.
It is clear that Dr. Miller's office does a high volume of patients and they are set up/staffed accordingly. The nursing and admin staff is all very friendly and I always felt that they were working with my best interests at heart, but they were clearly very busy and the amount of personalized attention is definitely limited. All communication is done through their voicemail system (which you have to remember to call into at certain specified times). It can be difficult to reach someone directly to get questions answered. Appointment availability (for monitoring) can be limited at times, which makes scheduling difficult if your schedule is not completely flexible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Kilgore Skoog)
The nurses were all very friendly and helpful when needed, but overall I would not describe the care as personalized. My coordinator, Wendy, was very knowledgeable about the process, however, was relatively hands off and at times, difficult to get ahold of. I found it hard to contact them directly, as all contact with the nurses is through their voicemail system.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
My experience with Dr. Miller was mixed. Most importantly, he helped us be successful in our journey to pregnancy (I got pregnant on our first donor cycle). So by that measure alone, I should be (and am!) very satisfied. I also saw him regularly while I was under his care. He clearly works very hard and has high success rates. But his personality can be a bit off-putting. He can come off as very arrogant and not overly sensitive. Without a strong recommendation from a doctor that I highly regard (we were referred to Dr. Miller for a donor cycle), I would not have chosen Dr. Miller.
Prepare to be very flexible.
I first saw Dr. Miller in June 2015 on referral for a donor egg cycle with my younger sister as donor. (My previous doctor did not do donor cycles.) Dr. Miller did a trial cycle in July 2015 and determined that I had endometriosis and a small uterine septum and recommended surgery. Dr. Miller performed laparascopy surgery on me in Aug 2015. Following surgery, I did estrogen therapy for a 1-month cycle right before a donor IVF cycle that was planned for September. The first donor cycle that we attempted never really got started because of the levels of my donor, but the second one in October 2015 went smoothly and resulted in a pregnancy.
2500 deductible
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
We would have to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours past our appointment times to be seen [at Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute]. This would also include monitoring appointments. While in appointments I sometimes felt rushed along.... In the beginning they did not communicate things well. I learned that I had to ask many clarifying questions during my visits to ensure I understood the next steps. Otherwise they were very nice.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
Dr. Miller's clinic offers a wide array of services from OBGyn care, fertility, and surgery all within the one location. The biggest weakness in my opinion, is that due to the large number of patients that are seen you may have to wait, feel rushed, or receive poor communication at times.
Dr. Miller is a very knowledgeable doctor. That being said he has a great number of patients. We would have to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours past our appointment times to be seen. This would also include monitoring appointments. While in appointments I sometimes felt rushed along.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Dr. Miller is a very knowledgeable doctor. He ran additional tests to attempt to discover why our previous IVF attempts failed. Our first RE was not willing to do this. Dr. Miller discovered several uterine adhesions through surgery that made our previous attempts unsuccessful. Our first RE was not open to exploring this. We were encouraged to just continue w/ another cycle without answers until we met with Dr. Miller.
Be prepared to wait when going for appointments. He is very knowledgeable though; so he is worth the wait in my opinion.
Dr. Miller wanted to explore why our previous IVF attempts failed. He recommended a trial cycle with bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring to see how I would respond to meds, HSG x2, uterine biopsy and additional bloodwork. Blood tests revealed a blood clotting disorder and an autoimmune illness related to infertility. Based on the HSG findings he recommended a surgery to remove uterine fibroids and adhesions. It was determined that the adhesions along with what was discovered during bloodwork that our embryos transferred in our previous attempts according to Dr. Miller, "had no where to implant". I was unable to continue with an actual FET cycle as I endured medical complications post surgery (not related to Dr. Miller). We are now pursuing gestational surrogacy with Dr. Miller's help.
The majority of our treatment was covered by insurance. Dr. Miller is offering us a discount for our pending gestational surrogacy as that is not covered by insurance.
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Our nurse [at Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute] was very organized and on top of things. She was compassionate when our first cycle was not successful, and assured us that this would help the doctor make adjustments for a better outcome during the next cycle. She was right!.. Strengths: very organized, amiable and professional staff, compassionate staff. Weaknesses: sometimes can be behind on the schedule but NOT for the actual treatment procedures
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
Strengths: very organized, amiable and professional staff, compassionate staff. Weaknesses: sometimes can be behind on the schedule but NOT for the actual treatment procedures. They have amazing outcomes and are the best in the area. I highly recommend them!
We were treated with kindness and given all the time we needed with the doctor to ask questions. The nurses and other staff were all very supportive throughout the process.
Our nurse was very organized and on top of things. She was compassionate when our first cycle was not successful, and assured us that this would help the doctor make adjustments for a better outcome during the next cycle. She was right!
Dr. Miller was very confident in his abilities, but it did NOT come off as arrogant. He was extremely organized and created a very detailed, clear, and step by step plan for us. He was always professional and we were impressed with his outcomes from his other patients. At the same time, he was approachable and treated us with respect. He made us feel like VIP. We had NO negative experience with him.
Prepare for long wait times in the office when meeting with him, but know that when it is your turn with him, he will give you all the time you need as well.
It has been about 5 years now so I don't remember too many specifics. We did IVF (ICSI). The first cycle was not successful, so he changed one of my injectable meds and also added another to take after the embryo transfer to improve my uterine lining. He also suggested accupuncture during the second cycle. We transferred two embryos (which were better quality than the two we transferred in our first cycle) and we had a successful twin pregnancy.
It was mostly covered by our insurance. We paid very little percentage wise. Meds were also mostly covered, and the clinic have us meds for free when there was any issue with getting them covered by insurance.
We preferred transferring two embryos for higher likelihood of pregnancy, and Dr. Miller told us with our second cycle that the embryos were very high quality and the likelihood of twins was high. We and Dr. Miller were all comfortable with that possibility.
2013
[Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute-Naperville has] No weaknesses. They are incredible. Easy to get into the facility, never had to wait a long time when I had an appointment, everyone was very kind, respectful and showed great care and compassion. They have an amazing staff here and I highly recommend them to anyone in need.... I had 2 remaining frozen embryos we moved over from the previous IVF doctor. I took valium the day of my transfer and he placed them inside and they both took. I think i was the most relaxed because we had been through it so many times previously.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
By the time we found Dr Miller we knew what my body needed and what process worked. So we came in with a game plan and he agreed to it. Everything went simply as planned. The nurses were so kind and involved. Even post pregnancy years later when I conceived on my own but miscarried.
Wish i remember her name she was amazing. So sweet and caring and always took my call. A few years later I conceived naturally and unexpectantly and my OB would not see me and she did-- PATTY!!! I miscarried but she was there for me every was I was no longer an Ivf patient.
He was so kind, engaging, understanding and open any ideas that we had and we had a lot. We went through 2 terrible doctors prior so knew what we wanted. He agreed to everything we needed and was there for us every step of the way.
Do your research on IVF and come in with some ideas or any questions. And do not go to anyone else.. he is the best!!!
It was out of pocket so maybe 6-8k if I am remembering correctly. But by the time we came to him we had the frozen embryos already and needed him for the transfer.
Not that I remember
Naperville
There were 2 locations Schaumburg and Naperville. Naperville was the only office that did the procedures and sometimes the only office that could get me in for appointments. I wish going into it I would of known because I live in Schaumburg,..very caring staff [at Adv IVF]. receptionist even remembered me...The nurse who always called my results was very smart and organized but I feel that there were times she lacked a little compassion. The phlebotomist was extremely friendly and made me less nervous. There were some ultrasound techs that were amazing and then there was one that seemed to get annoyed with my numerous questions.
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
There were 2 locations Schaumburg and Naperville. Naperville was the only office that did the procedures and sometimes the only office that could get me in for appointments. I wish going into it I would of known because I live in Schaumburg, but Naperville is far and it was personally hard for me having to leave work and go there. It was worth it because they were excellent but it was just far for me.
very caring staff. receptionist even remembered me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute. (Assigned nurse: sarah)
The receptionist was the first person I always saw or talked to and was so caring and nice. She always remembered me. The nurse who always called my results was very smart and organized but I feel that there were times she lacked a little compassion. The phlebotomist was extremely friendly and made me less nervous. There were some ultrasound techs that were amazing and then there was one that seemed to get annoyed with my numerous questions.
Dr. Miller was very thourough and I actually felt like he read my chart in detail. He was very straight forward about what to expect and told me the path in which we were to proceed. He gave me the now situation and the what if situations.
we were to try hormonal injections for 2 months with timed intercourse and then after that hormonal injections with IUI. And then if that didn't work we would talk about other options like IVF
minimal. because my insurance coverage
2012 - 2013
6 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
While we worked with the nurses on a day to day basis, and not Dr. Miller, I had complete confidence that these nurses were on top of their game and knew what they were doing. Are they busy? Yes. But if I needed anything or had questions, they were answered. Everyone is very friendly, most of the staff I knew by name as did they me. They were very friendly, while maintaining professionalism.
2012 - 2013
6 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Charles Miller is the best of the best. He studied my history and new the facts in detail for our first consultation. He devised a plan, and made sure that we understood the plan and that we were comfortable with the plan. He gave us options. He told us what could and couldn't happen. He voluntarily showed us his statistics and success rates, which no other doctor has...and we have seen three IVF docs now. Dr. Miller is confident, and he should be. We had a successful pregnancy with our first IVF implantation of one embryo. We were cash patients while we were with Dr. Miller. Which takes this entire process to a whole other level of stress. Working with him was worth every penny. Dr. Miller was recommended to us by different people from all different parts of our lives and we continue to recommend him to whoever asks for help with getting pregnant.
Be patient. The office is busy, and sometimes you will have to wait. It's worth it.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Miller. From our first consult until now, he's been nothing but warm and compassionate with us. I trust what he tells me. His team is also exceptional. I feel like I'm in great hands!...Dr. Miller preformed by tubal reversal surgery last year. Following the surgery, I was given my options based upon how aggressive I wanted my treatment to be. He explained each option fully. I completed 3 clomid cycles with monitoring. All of those ended with a negative pregnancy test. I did two IUI cycles after that which were unsuccessful. While awaiting for IVF to begin, my husband and I got pregnant spontaneously but that ended in miscarriage. Dr Miller performed my D and C. I am now awaiting an IVF with ICSI and PGS testing cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
Strengths- Dr. Miller, front desk staff, phlebotomist Fanny, most nurses.
All of the staff knew me by name. I felt welcomed when entering the clinic and throughout my visits.
Sometimes the communication was a tad lacking but it didn't bother me. I'm happy to be in a clinic with great results!
TRUST HIM!!
I have been able to use insurance for most of my procedures and appointments/
I have not gotten to that point yet.
2013
]Advanced IVF] deal[s] with a high volume of patients and I interacted with a lot of different nurses. The hardest part was their communication process. Most of it was through their voicemail system. I could not contact the nurses or doctor directly.
2013
They deal with a high volume of patients and I interacted with a lot of different nurses. The hardest part was their communication process. Most of it was through their voicemail system. I could not contact the nurses or doctor directly.
Some were very nice, but some showed little compassion (i.e. this was just their job). I dealt with a lot of different nurses and even though I think I was assigned a "primary" nurse, I am not sure I ever even met her in person. There was a lot of communication over the phone. There was no one nurse who stood out as particularly helpful, but they got the job done.
What specific things went wrong at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute?
Here's the thing. While I found Dr. Miller to be reasonably arrogant and the communication process very frustrating, at the end of the day he got me pregnant on the first round. His statistics are good and I think he's a very highly qualified technician. However hand holding / bedside manner are not his strong suits. I found that very frustrating through the process and almost left for another doctor, however we are now going back for our 2nd child since the results were good.
Ask a lot of questions upfront and recognize that you aren't going to get a lot of hand holding, but that doesn't mean the result won't be positive.
Male Factor, Other
I especially liked the option of going to the closer practice to my house for weekly appointments [at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute]. The procedures needed to be done in Naperville, but all of the other appointments I had at the closer appt to my house.... Dr. Miller was so knowledgeable and guided us with his compassion. His cutting-edge research gave us the best chance to conceive. The specialized plan was so on target with our specific needs. We were so lucky to have him as our doctor.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
I especially liked the option of going to the closer practice to my house for weekly appointments. The procedures needed to be done in Naperville, but all of the other appointments I had at the closer appt to my house.
Dr. Miller was so personable, he took that time to get to know my husband and myself. He was confident that he could help us conceive and made a specialized plan for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute. (Assigned nurse: JoRene and Alex)
They were always supportive and made me feel comfortable.
Believe in the process and in Dr. Miller.
My insurance covered 90%
He explained all of our options and let us decide.
2013 - 2016
The clinic [The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute] was great! Clean and comfortable. I loved the girls at the front desk. They knew me by my first name. The ultrasound techs were always so super nice to me too. I just loved everyone there....I loved [nurse] Patti. Surprisingly I really miss her. She was so kind to me during my process...Dr. Miller did everything he could to help me obtain my dream of being a mom. It was a grueling process but he was always up front with me.
European, South Asian
Describe your experience with The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute.
The clinic was great! Clean and comfortable. I loved the girls at the front desk. They knew me by my first name. The ultrasound techs were always so super nice to me too. I just loved everyone there.
Dr. MILLER WAS DEFINITELY DIRECT AND STRAIGHT TO THE POINT BUT HE CARES ABOUT ME AND MY OUTCOME I WAS MORE THAN A NUMBER.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Institute. (Assigned nurse: Patti)
I loved Patti. Surprisingly I really miss her. She was so kind to me during my process.
Dr. Miller did everything he could to help me obtain my dream of being a mom. It was a grueling process but he was always up front with me. He was always very kind to me and showed compassion for what I was going through. I will forever be grateful to him for helping me.
He may not be super warm and fuzzy but he will get you the results you want. Remember he does care. He truly cares for you as a patient and cares about your outcome.
2012 - 2014
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr. Miller is extremely knowledgeable and always had a plan of action. He never gave up on us and explored every option when we had setbacks. I felt very confident in having him as our doctor. I also thought he was very warm and caring towards us. He gave us hugs whenever we saw him and told us often that he wanted this very badly for us. I felt he was very invested in helping us to have a child.
2012 - 2014
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
I was very pleased with the care and support I received from the staff, including Dr. Miller. They were warm and genuinely cared about how I felt. They provided encouragement throughout the entire journey.
Put your trust in Dr. Miller and follow his course of treatment. He knows what he is doing. If you are unsure about something though, just ask. Dr. Miller and his staff are very willing to answer any and all questions.
Schaumburg
No electronic record system, no email. Had to leave voicemails and nurses called back end of day/next day. One department in the office didn't know what anyone else was doing...Never got to treatment. Found a cervical polyp during workouts for Ivf. Then found out his clinic wouldn't take sperm from the Sperm bank we picked so we left
Clean, organized, no EMR
Loved Dr Miller Very down to earth Wonderful personality
Husband with no sperm. Dr Miller entered room and said "no sperm huh? Well that sucks" Husband was so relived to have him just admit it sucked!
Ask about what sperm banks they work with