The Fertility Center of Michigan

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Grand Rapids - Downtown (closed)
555 MidTowne
Mason, MI 48854
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Fertility Center of Michigan to a friend?
I love that the fertility center has multiple locations and super flexible hours for monitoring ultrasounds! I do wish that the drs spent one more day in Mason. I also feel like the pricing is reasonable versus a lot of other clinics.... The nurses for the most part are great! They respond very quickly to phone calls. I do feel like they are a little overwhelmed because a lot of times they don’t know the full extent of “your case” which I wish they did. Also, a lot of times you have to call and get test results versus them calling you. They are all very patient and compassionate and do take time to listen to your concerns.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We went to see Dr Thakur after I suffered an ectopic pregnancy. She actually validated our loss. Also, after some test results came back showing that I was in DOR, she sat down with us for an hour and a half and discussed what all that meant. Also, after our next loss, she sat down with us to discuss what she thought the cause of that was.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
My husband does not love seeing drs, especially after we went through an ectopic pregnancy and a lot of unknowns. We both felt like Dr Thakur was very smart. She takes the time to go over all the options. I never felt pressured to do one course of treatment over the other. She outlined what she thought would be the best course of treatment and how long we should go through with that and when to move on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask lots of questions! Also, if you have information about something that you’ve read online, tell her about it. She is very smart and will tell you whether or not there is any sort of evidence to back it up.
Describe the protocols Mili Thakur used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We have always done femara and ovidrel because I respond well to the femara. The first month I only had one mature follicle so she upped my dose and I seem to be responding well to that!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our initial appointment was $285 and every appointment after that was $180. Ultrasounds were about $110. The IUI is around $700. For us, the femara was covered by insurance but the fertility center helped me get the best price for ovidrel at about $95/shot.
Mili Thakur
Grand Rapids
It's a great clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI], but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.... Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. T
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Very organized and all communicate with one another. For the most part easy to get through on the phone and they [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] will call you back if it requires immediate attention but sometimes it is difficult to get through on the phone and they wont call you back until the next day if its not very important.... [Nurse] Very knowledgeable, you hardly have any questions because they go through every detail of the whole process. Very organized. Always call you when they say they will. Extremely friendly.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very organized and all communicate with one another. For the most part easy to get through on the phone and they will call you back if it requires immediate attention but sometimes it is difficult to get through on the phone and they wont call you back until the next day if its not very important.
Dr. Dodds always takes the time to elaborate and know that I completely understand the process. Always answers any questions I have and is very patient. Very personable and friendly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Strengths- very knowledgeable and always has an exact plan for me based on my infertility and doesn't compare to anyone else's. Even though we haven't had a successful pregnancy I feel like Dr. Dodd's is getting closer to pin pointing the reason and is always suggesting new things. He is very honest but not too blunt. Weakness- He does travel to other offices around Michigan so he is not always available at the Grand Rapids office where I see him.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he will sit there and answer all your questions no matter what.
Roughly $12,000 for fresh IVF cycle-includes IVF and medication. Doesn't included roughly $2,000 for all the bloodwork and ultrasounds that insurance didn't cover or $400 mobile anesthesia for the egg retrieval. $3,000 for each FET cycle $100 quarterly fee for frozen embryos storage.
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr. Dodd's suggested multiple embryo transfer (2) each time (we have done it twice now). For higher chance of pregnancy rate.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The entire team of doctors, nurses and office staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are always willing to help with any questions or concerns we have. We feel well cared for and accommodated with every visit...All of the nurses we encountered were helpful in explaining everything (i.e. timelines, administration of medications, the "what ifs"). If we had a question, they would respond in a timely manner. When the cycles didn't have the outcome we hoped for, they were compassionate and sympathetic. We are extremely happy with the care they have provided thus far.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The entire team of doctors, nurses and office staff are always willing to help with any questions or concerns we have. We feel well cared for and accommodated with every visit. We would like new patients to know that patience is important as they begin their infertility treatment. Also don't hesitate to ask questions even if they seem trivial.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young was very personable, informamativ, and professional throughout our entire journey so far. He has made us feel at ease and confident in his abilities. Although the process has been trying at times, we are glad that Dr. Young has been there to help us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
When we first got married, we never imagined that it would be so difficult to have a baby. Dr. Young helped us understand the process and all of our options. We had a lot to learn about unexplained infertility and how to maximize our chances of achieving a successful pregnancy, and Dr. Young patiently helped us with that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Trust in the process.
Describe the protocols James Young used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Dr. Young tried several different strategies and protocols throughout our journey. First, he tried 100mg of Clomid with Ovidril trigger shot, we attempted 3 cycles of this. Then we did a couple of cycles with Clomid, Follistim and Ovidril. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. Third, we attempted to do an IVF cycle using the luteal suppression protocol (Lupron and Gonal-F medications). Only one follicle matured, the cycle was cancelled. Since only one follicle matured with the first IVF cycle, Dr. Young recommended we attempt multi-cycle IVF. If he was able to retrieve one or two eggs each cycle, hopefully there would be enough embryos to transfer after the second or third retrieval. The first cycle of the multi-cycle IVF protocol ended up being cancelled due to no mature follicles. At that point Dr. Young suggested we consider using donor embryos. Because it was the most viable option for us financially at that point, we agreed. In January 2018, 2 donor embryos we're thawed, only one survived the thaw. Dr. Young told us it was a very healthy embryo, so chances of implantation we're good. Unfortunately, the cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. Dr. Young suggested we try another IVF cycle using donor embryos and select a donor with more embryos available. We are scheduled for a second donor embryo transfer in April.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Donor Embryo Transfer: Case Management Fee: $2,225.00 Bundled Fees (testing/screening/program maintenance, profile preparation, record review, MD evaluation, interdisciplinary ART meeting, appointment with Social Worker): $4,000.00 Vaginal Ultrasound: $295.00 Preparation of Cryopreserved Emryos: $1,000.00 Embryo Transfer: $1,025.00 Abdominal Ultrasound: $215.00 Medication: $500.00
Describe James Young's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
They [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well...Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Organized, helpful, compassionate workers. Front desk staff very helpful and work with your schedule. So far my experience has only been good there. They get you in quickly and there isn’t much of a wait at any appointment.
I feel like Dr. Young definitely took his time with us when we would meet to discuss plans. He didn’t rush us out of his office to get on to the next patient. He seems to care about his patients and their past.
They know the protocols and if they were unsure how to proceed they would always let me know they would ask the Dr and let me know that day. I always knew what was happening. If I had any questions they would explain everything very well.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At first he seemed quiet and I wasn’t sure what to think of him, but towards the end of our first appointment I knew he was very good at his job just by what he was explaining to us. He evaluated my past before I came in and knew what tests to run to find the problem. He explains things in terms that we can understand.
Ask questions if you are unsure.
First cycle used fermara only. Resulted in a pregnancy that ended at 16.5 weeks, no reason found. Second cycle used 375 Gonal F And 75 menopur for about 9 days (ganirelix and HCG shot towards the end also) resulted in 4 eggs retrieved, one embryo frozen (Grade 3). About to start another cycle with same meds but add clomid on day one. We will be doing PGD testing which is why we froze the one embryo.
My insurance covers all ultrasounds and 4 estrogen blood draws a month. Paid $10,500 for first cycle and $3000 for the next 2 (multi cycle discount up to 3 cycles). Medications cost $130 for first cycle. Office visits were covered by my insurance.
The Dr. seems to want to transfer 2 for our case as I have trouble carrying them so the hope is that at least one will stick.
Grand Rapids
This clinic [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.... A round of IUI was generally atounf $1,500 and IVF was around $9,000. You can apply for the Assured program, which costs around $19,000 and you get up to 3 IVF cycles, if they are all unsuccessful you get almost all of your money back.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic is amazing. They go above and beyond to communicate with patients and ensure quailty care. Infertility is difficult, and the staff at this clinic make it bearable. One weakness is that certain appointments can only be scheduled at certain a time of day, which is not always convenient.
Dr. Young (and other doctors at this office) have always treated me well. They listen to my questions and concerns and address them wuth kindness, patience and understanding. I can't imagine going through this with any other doctor.
I love the nursing staff. They are very knowledge and go the extra mile to make sure patients are fully prepared throughout the process.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is kind and understanding. He has a dry sense of humor which always makes me smile. He and his wife also went through fertility treatments which give a better understanding of what a patient is going through.
Ask questions. He likes Ohio State, so you have to look past that flaw. (Go Blue!)
Early on, we used a medication that had the opposite affect on my system, this was adjusted for the next cycle. This was more successful. It's difficult to remember all of the things we have done. Dr. Young was always very honest with us. I felt that he gave us all the facts and helped us to make decisions based on our personal case.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Strengths [Fertility Center of MI]: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.... Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The office team [The Fertility Center of Michigan] up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed....Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.... My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent....There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity.... I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
Grand Rapids
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with... Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There really isn't anything else I would say about the clinic that I have not said about the doctors and nurses. Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments. The only thing I wish that this Clinic offered was invocell. I've heard that it is a new like IVF treatment but it is substantially cheaper
Had decent beside manner, and didn't seem to rush us out the door. Took time to explain everything we were going to do
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing. He is the second doctor that I've seen for infertility, and I would definitely say that he was the better of the two. He explained everything that we were going to be doing. The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots. Everything was well planned out. Overall I would say that he's a great doctor.
I would say that he is not going to lie to you so don't go in there expecting to hear exactly what you want to hear,because he's going to tell you the truth
The doctor I saw before William. Put me on Clomid for four Cycles. So when he saw that he decided that he would put me on Fermara. And I took that for one cycle I believe it was days 3 through 7. I came in to have an ultrasound done and my follicles measured and I can't remember what day that was. The day after I had my ultrasound I was instructed to use a trigger shot to force ovulation and I was instructed to have intercourse once every 24 hours for the next three days. No pregnancy resulted from this round of femara, so I went to Grand Rapids to have dye injected into my uterus and x-rays done to see if my tubes are blocked which they were not. I had some blood work done but I can't remember what that was for. Our next step is going to be IUI next month.
They submit everything through my insurance even though my insurance doesn't cover infertility. So I have yet to receive the bill
We have not discussed this yet
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
My number one strength [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms.... They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My number one strength is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms. Also, when my husband goes to drop off his specimen, I wish it was a little quicker for him. He has a very time structured job and gets frustrated that he has to sit there for 15 minutes before the lab calls him back. I think that should be explained better, the whole home to lab process. I would tell a new patient to ask all the questions, nothing is too much when it comes to treatment. Do not expect them to go over every detail with you. If you Type A like me, you'll leave frustrated and feeling like nothing was accomplished.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I don't think, in the beginning, the treatment was custom to my issues. I think they take standard protocol and go through the motions. I had to start fighting for what I wanted. They also are not exactly forthcoming on information. I had to ask a lot of questions I learned through podcasts and others who have gone through it all before.
They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone. I also felt like the communication between the team wasn't all that great, where one would tell me one thing about my treatment but the next person I talk with didn't have that same information. That was a little frustrating. I also had to make sure I had all my questions ready to ask, otherwise I wasn't informed of any "extra" information. Honestly, I love the staff, I just worry a little about their efficiency/organization.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions. There were times where I felt she was more focused on me thinking she cared than her actually trying to fix any issues. I also feel she is not very available when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask her to give it to you straight. Also, request a full description of treatments with all the why's explained.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F. I can't remember the specific dose of letrozole but the injections were 300. I did not respond as well to the letrozole as we had hoped. I am currently going to do one timed cylce of 100 mg of clomid (back to clomid after under-performance of letrozole) while we wait for insurance pre-authorization. If that is approved (different insurance company than the last round) I will have one last IUI cycle of 100 mg Clomid and Gonal-F 450 injections. IF this does not work, we will immediately be moving on to IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI is $500 (sperm wash and procedure) plus the ultrasound and office visit. Each visit was a co-pay amount. Hybrid cycle had an extra ultrasound (echogram) which was more than the ultrasound. Medications were all based on what insurance would cover; most of it out of pocket.
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
Great nurses & office staff [The Fertility Center] at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large....One of my mini IVF extraction was cancelled bc they waited a day too long....My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me....$50,000ish after 7 cycles...
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great nurses & office staff at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large.
My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me. My doctor never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S & Ashley )
My nurses have been AMAZING.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case. I know other couples who did feel a connection with him & have great things to say about him.
Make a connection with your nurses & advocate for yourself.
I did a traditional long stim protocol the first round because everything was completely normal with my blood work & ultrasounds. They transferred the only 2 embryos 2 days after my extraction. I had a negative result. For our second round they did a hyper stim flare protocol since I didn’t produce the amount of eggs they were expecting. We ended up with 2 embryos again despite the hopes of getting much more. We did a FET 2 months later & had a positive result. 2 weeks later we lost. We them moved forward with 5 mini iVF’s in the hopes of getting high quality eggs. 2 of the 5 extractions were cancelled due to a dominant follocule & a possible missed ovulation. We ended up with 3 frozen embryos after undergoing the mini IVF’s. We did a FET with an angry uterine protocol (intrauterine HCG injection)& transferred 2 & had a neGative result. We did another FET (also angry uterine/HCG injection)with our last embryo & received a positive. This pregnacy ended in an ectopic pregnancy which was treated with methotrexate. I completed an endometrial receptivity assay & the results indicated I needed a transfer 24 hours after the norm. We are beginning another round of the hyperstim flare protocol in May with the angry uterine protocol/HCG injection for the FET.
$50,000ish after 7 cycles
For my case, Dodd’s indicates that multiple embryo transfer is best bc the hormones supplied by the additional embryos may support the strongest embryo.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
They have a good track record and doctors. That's why I went and will go again. They are close to me and well known. I trust them even though I have sometimes felt like a number. They know what they're doing so I can remove myself emotionally. It's expensive and you may leave feeling worse then when you started! I was so confused when one month I couldn't even have an IUI. I didn't even know that was an option. So make sure to ask lots of questions because some information was left out of our discussions because I'm assuming they thought I just knew.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I didn't feel like a number initially. I saw Dr. Young in the beginning then for all my ultrasounds and IUI's I did now see him! Kind of crazy to me. After 3 failed months on Femara, 2 months I had failed IUI's and 1 month I couldn't do IUI because they think I ovulated early or late. But I never saw or spoke with Dr. Young once the treatment plan started. I don't like that.
They didn't do a bad job. Just did their job. Just went through the motions and wished me licked every time. Like ok see you next time. No big deal that I had 3 months of expensive failed treatments. They did well, nothing exceptional
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I really liked him in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
Dot set deadlines when you'll be pregame. You'll just disappointed when it comes and go's. Be expectant but informed. Really ask all your questions and understand to your best during your first appointments. As I guess you're not guaranteed to see your doctor for awhile.
I guess I'm not certain. Just that he said Femara and IUI was his opinion what was best for me during our first 3 month treatment plan. He said we would do 3 month treatment plans and if they didn't work we would re-visit and come up with the next plan. I did my research as well, but mostly trust his expert opinions.
I think it was around $200-250 just every time I stepped in the office. Which some appointments were not even necessary and could have take place with a phone call or email! We paid for mid-cycle ultrasounds and IUI's (separate cost for both my husband & I). Some appointments I paid for we're frustrating because like I mentioned, they weren't necessary and I left with no new information or the appointment was like 10 mins. Every single thing was a different cost. And I felt like some things my doctor could have provided under insurance. Like certain testing that was done in the very beginning. Like bliss work and ultrasounds. Being I had 3 miscarriages already, shouldn't my normal doctors have already done all the testing, blood work and ultrasounds? Why did it take 3 miscarriage and the fertility center and 5 years for me to be diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and factor 5?! That's crazy to me
Kalamazoo
I think The Fertility Center's biggest strength is definitely the staff. From the front desk through checkout, they are friendly and helpful! It is also a very clean and updated facility. I think a weakness would be billing. It's confusing and not always explained well...The 4 main nurses that we saw were Sandy, Amy, Ashley and Shana. They were all amazing! I appreciated so much that they cared about me as a person and not just another patient. Shana did my ultrasounds, Amy and Ashley met with me after each ultrasound to help me understand my next steps and Sandy helped with my egg retrieval.
European, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think The Fertility Center's biggest strength is definitely the staff. From the front desk through checkout, they are friendly and helpful! It is also a very clean and updated facility. I think a weakness would be billing. It's confusing and not always explained well. Definitely remember to be your own advocate and make sure that your bills are what you were expecting. If not, ask questions!!
There have been a couple times where my husband and I have felt that he says something to us that "he probably says to everyone." However, there have also been times where he truly is patient with questions we have and he sits and answers all of them. We never felt rushed or like he didn't have the time for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy, Amy, Ashley, Shana )
The 4 main nurses that we saw were Sandy, Amy, Ashley and Shana. They were all amazing! I appreciated so much that they cared about me as a person and not just another patient. Shana did my ultrasounds, Amy and Ashley met with me after each ultrasound to help me understand my next steps and Sandy helped with my egg retrieval. They all went above and beyond making me feel comfortable and confident in my treatment.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We were very happy. We understand that it's a busy clinic and he sees many patients so we weren't expecting to feel like we were the only ones there because, let's be honest, that's not realistic. What we did expect was for him to do his job as far as explaining our course of treatment, answering any questions we had, and helping us feel comfortable with our journey, and he accomplished all of that. He was very warm and had great bedside manner for both our egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Even my husband said, "I like him. He's a good doctor." Which my hubby is typically a go with the follow type guy so I was happy to hear that from him! Overall we have been very happy with our treatment from Dr. Dodds so far!
Have questions ready to ask, he is always willing to take the time to answer them and make you feel as comfortable as you can. Also, understand he is human, he is not perfect, but he absolutely cares about his patients.
Our process went fairly smooth, but I appreciated that they carefully monitored my Estradiol and Progesterone levels as we were doing our follicle stimulating hormone injections. At one point my dosage was lowered and that made me feel confident that it was being carefully monitored. I am sure that this is a protocol for most clinics, but it was just one more thing that gave me added security going through it!
Including our initial appt to discuss treatment options, my husbands sperm extraction, my preliminary testing, hysteroscopy surgery, multiple ultrasounds, injections/medications, retrieval, transfer, and embryo storage fees we have probably spent close to $20,000 at this point.
I appreciate that Dr. Dodds allowed us to make most of our decisions. I never felt like we were being questioned or steered in a different direction than what we wanted. He allowed us to make the decision to transfer 2 embryos.
8 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Scheduling [at The Fertility Center] is a pain! Sometimes it is easy to get in and other times it is difficult. Since I was working at the time I had to take time off for appointments frequently since they had limited appointments. For IVF you had to schedule 2 or 3 months in advance so be aware of that...Overall the nursing staff was very competent. They are dealing with a lot of patients so sometimes they had to clarify some things in order to get an accurate response.
8 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Scheduling is a pain! Sometimes it is easy to get in and other times it is difficult. Since I was working at the time I had to take time off for appointments frequently since they had limited appointments. For IVF you had to schedule 2 or 3 months in advance so be aware of that.
Valerie would call me personally if I asked which I was pleasantly pleased with. She let me be the deciding factor on all the decisions. She never pushed her opinions on me or forced me into a decision. She was always completely unbiased. (Unlike Dr. Young who I saw once for an ultrasound who was very judgemental).
I enjoyed having Valerie as my doctor. There was one negative experience when the dosage listed on my prescription was different than what was on their plan. She handled the situation ok by calling me to reassure me the dosage would not affect the results but didn't take the ownership of her (or the nurses) mistake.
Ask lots of questions because she will answer it thoroughly but doesn't necessarily go over everything if not asked. Be proactive of your care because she will be willing to take the next steps if you want.
I don't remember all of it but for the IVF procedure I was put on Lupron to start, then took estrace pills, after the transfer I began IM progesterone.
Embryo retrieval/1 fresh transfer was $10,000. Frozen embryo transfer $2500 IUI was $400
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
She left this decision up to use. The first time we chose for 2, which she recommended. The second time we chose 1 which she supported. We were given the information that with a transfer of 2 embryos it was a 45-50% chance of pregnancy but they didn't have any statistics for an embryo transfer of 1.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
During our first IUI [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] we had my husband's sperm checked. We did 2 more IUI's not knowing that his morphology and counts were low. We figured they didn't say anything, so it must be fine...We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great...
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are multiple locations. A weakness is that sometimes I feel like I can get lost in all the hussle and bustle. I have had residents training on me instead of a doctor (always with my permission), and sometimes I feel like a direction gets passed and the follow through may have been missed. I hate having to explain what the doctor told me to the nurse or the billing department.
The Kalamazoo office is small and personal. They write your name on the screen when you have ultrasounds. You see the same nurse each time (pending emergency exceptions). The GR office enters you as a number, and you see new nurses and each time (not entirely bad, but just the way it was).
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie Sokolow)
Before IVF, during my first five cycles of pills, timed coitus, injectables, and IUI's I had two nurses that handled my care. They were both attentive and had different personalities. One was warmer than the other. When I began IVF I was assigned an IVF nurse practitioner, Julie S. She is great. At first she comes off as unemotional or cold, but she is really just focused on your care. By the end she is all hugs and honesty. She never makes you feel stupid if you forget a direction and have to call her back. You will have her direct phone number and she is great at calling you back. She will make sure to contact you and get you directions, and never minds returning phone calls. The only downside is having to go to GR on days that Kalamazoo is not open.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. Sometimes I feel he is spread thin but when you are meeting with him he is full of honest feedback, compassion, and makes you feel at ease about whatever choices you make.
Write down questions and don't be afraid to ask for more details if you want more. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions in between visits, or for clarification.
When we first started seeing Dr. Dodds, we had no idea why we weren't conceiving. It had been 4-5 years of unprotected and later timed sex. At my normal OB/GYN we checked my fallopian tubes with dye for any blockages, and my husband had his sperm specimen looked at. All looked good, so he referred us to Dr. Dodds. We started out with getting blood tests to look for causes and mine all came back normal. I started taking oral pills, femara, and timed coitus for two cycles. Third cycle I started injectables (Follistim 75, cycle days 5-11) and created 4 follicles. We had an IUI and used vaginal progesterone. That did not work for us either. During the IUI we elected to have Husband's sperm looked at again. Nearly a month after our failed IUI I called and asked what his results were. We found out his count was low and he had a 1% morphology. I wish they would have told us that sooner. We did 2 more rounds of injectables (follistim 75, and 100) with IUI. We used Ovidrel and progesterone during those two as well. Finally after 8 months of failed pregnancy test we saw Dr. Dodds again and went over our plan. Apparently with Husband's counts and morphology we only had a 3% chance of success doing the past treatments. I wish we would have known that, we probably wouldn't have continued doing IUI's. Dr. suggested we go see a urologist and consider IVF. Husband went to urologist and found out he has varicocele veins in one testicle. We elected to have surgery to help with that and he began taking Clomid to boost his testosterone level. 3-4 months after his surgery and taking Clomid his counts and morphology were up in normal ranges. We tried naturally for 6 months. IVF #1 began with birth control pills, vitamins and giving up coffee. Our insurance covered some of the medicines for IUI but not any for IVF. My stim cycle consisted of 75 Menopur and 75 Follistim. Once my follicles got to a certain size we used Ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. We used hCG and Lupron to trigger. I had 25 eggs retrieved, 19 were mature, we chose to do ICSI to three of them and froze the rest of the eggs. All three fertilized. 1 arrested after day 1, 2 made it to day 2 and were transferred. Progesterone shot up until pregnancy test. Negative Pregnancy test. We decided to try to thaw some of our eggs and fertilize them. We had 16 frozen and they were frozen in vials of 3. A frozen transfer involves Lupron (SQ), progesterone, and estrace. We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great. :( Negative pregnancy test. That brings us to current times. Due to the shocking egg dilemma, Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it. There is no way we could afford to do it again at full price. Husband's morphology went from 1% to 6% after his surgery so we chose to do 6 months of Femara and timed coitus. 6 negative pregnancy tests. That brings us to now. We are on IVF #2 where Dr. Dodds decided to try to stimulate me less, creating less, but hopefully better quality eggs. He also encouraged that we fertilized all of them, because fertilized eggs have a better chance of surviving in the freezer than do eggs alone. We started with birth control to regulate me. Then we stimmed with 75 Menopur, 75 Follistim. I used cetrotide to prevent premature ovulation and triggered with Lupron and hCG. At egg retrieval they retrieved 11 eggs. 3 were immature, 1 had a broken zona, and 7 were mature. 7 ICSI, 4 fertilized. We are going to day 5 so will continue to get updates. Tomorrow is day 2. I obviously do not have very high quality eggs, but we hope all four of these lovely fertilized eggs make it to day 5 blastocysts.
IUI's were about 450$ (sperm isolation and prep, and IUI). Freezing sperm 400$. 8,000-14,000$ for IVF (medications, appointments, bloodwork, egg retrieval, lab work, ICSI, crypo...) 400$ anesthesia.
My doctor's goal is to give you one, healthy, chubby baby. With that said he was not overly pushy with either single or multiple. We discussed my options and came to a fair agreement based on my age, quality of embryos, and past treatments.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
None, Other
The clinic [The Fertility Center] had short waits. The longest I waited was 20 minutes. The office staff was helpful. The retrievals and transfer were performed at the clinic in Grand Rapids. It was nice to be taken care of by the actual clinic staff, rather than at a Surgi-Center. The clinic allows acupuncturists come in to perform an acupuncture treatment before and after the transfer.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
None, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic had short waits. The longest I waited was 20 minutes. The office staff was helpful. The retrievals and transfer were performed at the clinic in Grand Rapids. It was nice to be taken care of by the actual clinic staff, rather than at a Surgi-Center. The clinic allows acupuncturists come in to perform an acupuncture treatment before and after the transfer.
I felt like he actually knew about my history when he came in to see me for appointments, for the retrievals, and for the transfer. He took into account my diminished ovarian reserve and poor response to my first IVF (with another doctor) when recommending a protocol. He recommended doing a multi-cycle IVF to freeze as many embryos as possible before doing a transfer. I received a phone call from him after my positive HCG test, prior to my appointment. I received a phone call one evening from the nurse practitioner because she was "thinking about me" and wanted to suggest opening a different vial of medication because I might not need as much.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie )
Everyone was friendly and helpful. I got to know many of the staff throughout my visits. I felt like they cared about their patients. After each follicle monitoring, I met with a nurse practitioner or other care coordinator to discuss my plan. I received a phone call later that day, if anything changed. It was nice to meet with a person face-to-face rather than only speak to someone on the phone.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young is very to the point and honest. He (indirectly) validated my concerns with my first doctor. Dr. Young answered all of my questions. He has a relaxed and calm demeanor, which was beneficial during the stress of fertility treatments! My husband felt very comfortable with Dr. Young and his course of treatment.
Ask questions, like you would with any doctor.
A multi-cycle IVF was recommended based on my AMH (1.16) and poor response to my first IVF (with a different clinic). I was NOT placed on birth control prior to beginning the cycle, which allowed my body to dictate the timeline. He recommended less medication. We paid a flat rate for 3 retrievals and 1 transfer. I was on Clomid for 5 days, and then I began Gonal-F (dosage dependent on follicles). My first retrieval resulted in 6 embryos. My second retrieval resulted in 8 embryos. We did not do a 3rd retrieval, as I had a good amount of embryos already. We did a Day 3 frozen transfer of 2 embryos. I am currently pregnant with a singleton. I had a second sac; however, it did not develop past 5 weeks.
IVF reserve spot: $1500 Multi-cycle IVF rate: $11,000 (3 retrievals, if needed, 1transfer) Anesthesia: $400 (x2) Ultrasounds: $283 per Bloodwork (some was covered by insurance- bloodwork done off-site at Kalamazoo office): $8 per Total without medication: $16,089
We were given information to help us make a decision. 1-2 were recommended, and we decided to do 2.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Great staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviuosly not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message amd wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. But, everyone is always helpful! They run things efficiently and are always on time.... There are a lot and thry [nurses] are all super nice and helpful. I do sometimes feel like I have to remind some of them about certain unique parts of my treatment.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great staff, although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviuosly not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message amd wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. But, everyone is always helpful! They run things efficiently and are always on time.
Rarely see Dr. Dodds for appts but when I do he is fully engaged in my treatment
There are a lot and thry are all super nice and helpful. I do sometimes feel like I have to remind some of them about certain unique parts of my treatment.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is direct and very smart. He listens to me and provides reasonable options. Overall, I feel like I am in very capable hands, maybe because I know so many others that have had success with him. The only downside would be not getting to meet with him often. When scheduling a consult with him, you generally have to book about a month in advance.
He is willing to listen to you and won't make you wait around to get moving forward if that is what you want.
He first ordered bloodwork, SA, and HSG for diagnostic testing. It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate uterus), otherwise we were unexlained. Multiples is a big risk with this condition, so he made sure to start me out on the lowest dose of Femara. I ovulated each cycle, but usually anywhere from CD16-22, so we wanted to increase our chances a little and have ovulation happen sooner. He had me come in for one midcycle US and we were able to adjust meds to get results we wanted. After 4 cycles on femara, we met with him and he offered IUI or IVF. I was close to overproducing a couple times (and again multiples is risky for me), so IVF would be more predictable. We decided to do IUIs first. We added in injectables to help with egg quality and ended up having to cancel our first month due to overproducing. After that, he had me come in a lot earlier and more frequent to monitor closely. We have done 2 IUIs now and waiting on the results of the second. Pro would be he doesn't have you come in unnecessarily, con is obviously one cycle was cancelled when I overproduced. They are willing to let you come in more often if you wish though (I came in a lot after my cacelled cycle so they could watch closely).
IVF for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. IUI ended up being about 1.5K per cycle. Medicated cycles alone were pretty cheap, usually 100-200.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
All of the nurses [at The Fertility Center of MI] are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is rough sometimes with scheduleing for multiple reasons that unfortunately are managed as best they can be. We have almost no otger options for fertility treatment centers; these doctors work together at multiple locations hours apart. They do the best they can. And by the time you are coming to see them, you are willing to make your schedule wprk with thiers.
He is patient and thorough. He also seems to be pretty perceptive and tries to have good, as normal as possible conversations along with the "work" discussions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S)
All of the nurses are great. Each doctor has a couple nurses for treatments that aren't ivf, and a nurse specifically for ivf. Everyone seems to work super well together and I have always felt like I have gotten very personal care and that they genuinely want what is best for us.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young has always seemed to be very knowledgeable. He could be considered slightly awkward; he is pretty soft spoken. But he is honest, notices and acknowledges when things are or could be tough for my husband and I. He is very encouraging and positive and does take his time with each of us when we meet.
Look past his slight awkward quietness. He is kind and knowledgeable. Plus at this clinic, all the doctors seem to work together on things. I have been confident in all of his directions and direction changes that he has made for us. They made sense and we saw results.
He explained all our options, gave his opinion on direction, and we took his advice. He adjusted accordingly when needed. We started with cheaper and less invasive and then worked our way up. But he listened when we wanted to either slow the process or amp it up. He wanted us to be comfortable and confident and as relaxed as we can be on this journey.
Over the last 2 years and multiple cycles of differing attempts, we've spent about $13,000
Based on what he already knew of our religious beliefs, this was only briefly discussed.
Kalamazoo
Weaknesses. 1. They [The Fertility Center] don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you....
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strength is that they will try to get you in as soon as possible and have early morning appointments for those who work full-time. Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful! You don't really have any other options in the Grand Rapids area, unless you want to drive to Lansing, but the amount of appointments required makes that hard to do if you live in Greater GR.
We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally. I had a couple friends who had been through what we were about to embark on. I knew more about the process from them than I learned from Dr. Young. I was actually more confused leaving the office. Luckily the nurses and schedulers were very helpful when scheduling appointments and telling me what I needed to do next. Additionally, we did an IUI which was successful, but then miscarried. We had to see a different doctor the day we found out we were having a miscarriage. Since then I haven't heard anything from Dr. Young (or the doctor we saw when we learned we were having a miscarriage) about our next steps. I feel like they only care about the money we pay for services, aside from that, they have no vested interest in their patients.
Some of the staff have been ok to work with. They answer questions and can read lab results. However, the day I called to get the results of my bloodwork - after coming in and finding out we may be having a miscarriage the nurse read me my HCG levels and told me everything looked great. Luckily, I knew where my levels should be if I were pregnant. I had to tell the nurse that my levels should be about 100x what they were. I told her this was a new round of HCG testing and that I originally had my levels done two weeks prior. She told me she thought this was my second reading, which I had to tell her it wasn't. She then asked me why I was having my hcg tested again - in which i had to TELL HER, while trying to hold it together, that I had come in for my 6 week appointment that morning and they couldn't find a heartbeat. She was frazzled and told me she understood and in that case I was indeed having a miscarriage.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He poorly described the steps of our treatment. I knew more from friends who had been in our shoes than I did from our one visit with him. After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps.
Treat me like a person dealing with infertility, not someone who is paying you and try to get me out of the office as fast as possible.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Beautiful facilities [at The Fertility Center] (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times....Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints....$500 for IUI with SA/Wash....Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Beautiful facilities (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times.
Dr. Shavell is very kind and sweet manored so she makes you feel as though you really matter and she wants to help figure out what's best for you.
Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints.
Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her. And she is also good at explaining anything you don't understand.
Come prepared with your questions because direct one on one time with her is valuable time.
After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse. Determined that IUI was the best next step. IUI #1 was 2.5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 2 mature follicles and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. IUI #2 was 5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 1 mature follicle and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. Our next plan of action is a more agressive IUI with either metformin, Femara and ovidrel or injectable meds like menopur, gonal f or follistim and then ovidrel and IUI; since the femara and ovidrel are working but not good enough. My spouse is also on clomid for his male infertility issues.
We have approximately 50% fertility related coverage however 0% of IUI and IVF are covered. So those additionally out of pocket costs were reasonable. $500 for IUI with SA/Wash.
Mason
2014 - 2017
[The Fertility Center] Strengths-provider and staff experience. Caring and compassionate. Dedicated to their patients. Weaknesses-only thing I wish is that they took more payment options like Care Credit etc...The nurses were all very well-informed and knowledgeable about the processes. They answered the IVF line every single time. I never had to leave a message. Caring and extremely compassionate. Took the time out to explain everything and answer every question no matter how small...
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very empathetic with failed transfer. Eager to help us try again. Open and honest about treatment plans
Open and honest in communication. Very informative about treatment plans and adjusting them. Nothing but positive interactions even when the outcome was not what we wanted. Very calming demeanor and bedside manner. Always makes sure to explain every detail in length.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr Shavell is always willing to listen and do what's best for you as her patient.
For our two IUIs we only needed 50mg of clomid taken days 3-7. IVF procedure was BCP, then menopur and certotide. Added IM progesterone and retrace. Egg retrieval and ICSI done. 2 embryos transferred on day 3 and two frozen. FET utilized Lupron to suppress and then added Estrace and IM Progesterone. Transferred two embryos. Plan for flare protocol due to now having DOR along with MFI.
IUI was covered by insurance up to 2k. No IVF procedures or drugs were covered under insurance. The total cost for IVF was close to 15k. The FET was under a different insurance and medications were covered. We only paid $60. The FET itself cost around $2500 which was not covered by insurance.
Due to age, 2 embryos were advised to be transferred. The decision was left up to us with all risks explained.
Grand Rapids
It [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer...
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Small regional office, which is a satellite from the main Grand Rapids office. It is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.
Dr Dodds has always been friendly and open to myself and my husband. I appreciated when he would say things like "if you were my daughter, this is the advice I would give you." He also did wonders in helping my husband in understanding of all of this infertility madness. He explained the gravity of things, like going in hot tubs, that just was not sinking in when coming from me, or from the articles I had tried to get him to read. I felt like he gave us the right amount of optimism without over promising.
There are several nurses that attend to non IVF patients, so I saw about 4 or 5 different nurses. When I became an IVF patients, there are a few dedicated. They were always very nice and compassionate. Sometimes I felt like they were rushed, more so on phone calls than in person. When you call, you always have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I would sometimes be playing 3 or 4 rounds of phone tag. That is really hard when I'm busy at work. I have to note that on the first visit, with my husband, we met with a nurse who was usually in the Grand Rapids office. She was honestly clueless. Every question we asked, such as "where would my husband go with a sperm analysis" meant she had to leave the room and ask the doctor. If I asked, for example which day we would start clomid, she would say "I think it's day 3". I think, or I'm pretty sure are not good enough in this context! I never saw that nurse again and never had wishy washy, uninformed answers from other nurses. Calling and leaving messages is the only option for communication. The exception is during IVF cycle, they have Grand Rapids nurses on call so you can get a call back at any time you have questions. I was really happy to get a quick call back from a nurse to ask dosage questions.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I described a lot in my last answer already. Of course, it's easier to describe the things that were off putting, than remember all of the good things. So, I'll describe two things that were on the negative side: On the first visit was a little odd that Dr. Dodds spoke a lot about how he used to practice in California and that he treated famous people (with success) and that he was such a geek that he didn't recognize who they were. It would have been funny, but he talked a lot about it. Also on that visit, he described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember. Also the office in Kalamazoo doesn't offer all of the services, like the actual IUI, so it was hard to remember where we would need to travel to other offices for what, or what days. He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol, and hinted that they would discuss in their group doctor biweekly meeting if they could help us at all with a future cycle (financially), but this help was mentioned again.
Prepare to have your treatment be really inconvenient if you work. Their Kalamazoo office hours are very limited, as are the services performed there. Their main office is in Grand Rapids. The thing is, there are no other RE offices in the county. I know the question says one piece of advice, but I have another note: especially if your insurance doesn't cover treatment, it can be very pricey. I was surprised though that the charges were less than what I had read on the internet were typical. Dr Dodds said their board of trustees makes sure they hold to something like cost + 10% for all charges.
Antagonist protocol for IVF. Recommendation for microdose Lupron flare protocol for next cycle IVF. I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer.
HSG was over $1000. Each ultrasound is about $300 (2-3 per cycle). Clomid = $24. Gonal-f was $500. Blood tests are about $250 each cycle. In my first 6 months of treatment it cost approx $2000 total for two cancelled IUI cycles. IUI about 5k each with medications IVF with ICSI close to 20k with medications, monitoring, anesthesia, and blood tests
Kalamazoo
[Nursing Staff at The Fertility Center] They were very helpful and always available to answer any questions we had. They were not always warm which sometimes was hard because with all of the hormones I had surging through me I could have used a little more warmth from them... $14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost....I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal.
At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold. As time went on and we moved from IUI to IVF he became more involved and was available for questions and concerns and made me feel very important.
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much. I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. He understands that this is hard and scary and he doesn't down play that. I felt like it was very important for my husband to feel comfortable with the Doctor we chose as much as I did, and he thought Dr. Young was fantastic. Gave him a lot of peace of mind.
It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment. My husband and I started with a round of IUI and were unsuccessful but Dr. Young encouraged us to try at least 3 before moving on to IVF. We did two rounds of IUI and then decided to do IVF. We did a 2 month protocol (the long protocol) and had success.
$14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Eagle Park [office location of The Fertility Center of Michigan] has early office hours for ultrasounds starting at 7 and earlier for sperm samples, which is great if you work an 8-5 job. The longest I have waited is 30 minutes, but usually I'm in and out. At some point you end up seeing all the doctors which I view as a strength. It's nice to get all the opinions.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Eagle Park has early office hours for ultrasounds starting at 7 and earlier for sperm samples, which is great if you work an 8-5 job. The longest I have waited is 30 minutes, but usually I'm in and out. At some point you end up seeing all the doctors which I view as a strength. It's nice to get all the opinions.
Dr. Shavell is soft-spoken, but has a really wonderful bedside manner. She knows what she's talking about and will tell you in a way that makes you feel confident, but also comfortable. They believe I have poor egg quality, and when we had 28 eggs collected and 15 fertilize, by day 2 on transfer day, only 2 had survived. She told me when I was in the transfer room, right before and was so sweet when I started crying. Handed me tissues and let me have time. She also called twice, once a week after the egg collection and during the TWW to check on us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
I spoke with Michelle a lot at the Eagle Park office. She's so sweet. Remembers you when you call on the phone and lets you call to ask absolutely any question. You know she also genuinely feels for you when something goes wrong.
Really great. She did some of my IUIs, and my transfer, and I was grateful to have her do so. She explained things well and I had a list of about 100 questions, I kid you not, every time we met with her, and she let me go through every single question.
She's soft spoken at first, but don't let that fool you. She knows her stuff and is very compassionate.
IUIs we did Femara with a trigger shot. IVF I did 75iu of Menopur, 75iu of Gonal F, Cetrotide and a Lupron/HCG trigger. Prepped with birth control. They were worried about overstimming as it's easy for PCOS patients to do so, but they kept a very good eye on it and managed it well. Didn't end up with it.
Great! I was always able to get in by 7. They do them from 7-10 and the early appointments are great.
IUIs were 395 I believe. IVF cycle is just under 10 grand, without medicine.
Grand Rapids
Nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable...The clinic was a typical physician's office, the waiting room is a little more cozy than most (but we aren't going to the waiting room huh). Patient rooms were fine. It is nice to move to a consult room to talk with the staff instead of keeping you in your gown in a room.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
chatted with us in his office, explained things very well when we wanted to know more detail. Communicated with referring provider.
Nurses always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable.
Let him know if you do not want all the details, he explained everything very well to us. Take notes if you need to. You can always call the office if you forgot something that was talked about in the appointment. He is confident because he is good at what he does, and he will work hard to find out what is causing your infertility and how best to treat you based on what YOU want (continuing with conservative treatments versus moving up to IVF or the like).
Dr. Dodds wanted to make sure we were happy with the treatment path, he gave us options that were more conservative, then let us choose how long we wanted to try each treatment before finally moving on to IVF. He is honest in what he thinks will or won't work, and he's compassionate and there to help in the ultimate goal of baby.
My very rough guess for one round of IVF + ICSI, including meds, monitoring and egg retrieval was around $15-17k. They were great at working with insurance if anything was covered. We had a small portion of monitoring and meds covered but pretty much all of it was out of pocket.
Grand Rapids
I felt like the staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] actually cared about me and that the doctors and nurses were aware of the latest and greatest medical advancements. In fact, they changed protocol from one cycle to the next (with only a couple months between cycles) because they had found studies that indicate a different approach would produce better results. I do think that the one area that was a bit lacking was communication. I would have loved to have the option to email the nurses and have online access to some of my medical records. I also thought it would have been helpful if their website included more detailed information about what to expect during an IVF cycle or even individual stories of patients.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Overall, I was impressed with the quality of the Fertility Center. I felt like the staff actually cared about me and that the doctors and nurses were aware of the latest and greatest medical advancements. In fact, they changed protocol from one cycle to the next (with only a couple months between cycles) because they had found studies that indicate a different approach would produce better results. I do think that the one area that was a bit lacking was communication. I would have loved to have the option to email the nurses and have online access to some of my medical records. I also thought it would have been helpful if their website included more detailed information about what to expect during an IVF cycle or even individual stories of patients.
Everyone in the office, including nurses and office staff, were kind to me. I did sometimes get the impression that they do this so often that they don't give as many details as they could have, but overall I was impressed with Dr. Shavell and the rest of the staff.
I was overall impressed with the team of nurses. All of them displayed compassion and understanding. I would have given them an excellent in all areas, but I did have an issue getting information on when to take the trigger shot during one of my cycles so they weren't quite as organized as they could have been.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell was soft-spoken and kind, which was not what I expected of someone with her level of training and expertise. She earned my trust right away because she was sensitive to our unusual situation, but also spoke with confidence about a course of treatment.
Dr. Shavell may be young and soft-spoken, but she is definitely competent.
My first cycle was an antagonist cycle with very low doses of stimulating hormones. They expected me to respond very well to stimulating hormones and I did. I ended up with 26 eggs during that first cycle, but only 3 of those eggs became viable embryos. They ended up transferring all 3 of those embryos and I became pregnant, but ended up with a chemical pregnancy at 5 weeks. The second cycle was a long Lupron cycle. They expected this cycle to produce less eggs, but were hoping they would be higher quality. Once again, they used low doses of stimulating hormones. I ended up producing 29 eggs, but I ended up with 6 viable embryos this time. They transferred 2 of those embryos and I ended up pregnant with a singleton and had a live birth in 2015. I have 4 embryos that are still frozen and in storage.
I think it was approximately $10,000 per cycle for all the medications, monitoring appointments, egg retrievals, and embryo transfers. My insurance partially covered monitoring appointments and medications, but the rest was out of pocket. I did get a small discount during my second cycle because of the failure of the first cycle.
I was encouraged to transfer multiple embryos during both cycles. In fact, during my first cycle I actually transferred 3 embryos because they didn't think the 3rd embryo would survive the freezing process.
Grand Rapids
I can't think of anything to improve on at the [The Fertility Center of Michigan] clinic. All of the staff are wonderful. They seem to care and enjoy what they do. I used a donor and I never once felt judged for that. All of the nurses were compassionate and helpful. My questions were always answered and my scrips filled on time. Scheduling was easy & usually very convenient with my work schedule.they are all very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They all know that time is of the essence
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
there is a wait every time you go but that is to be expected...They are pretty much the only game in town.
He is the best. Everyone at the clinic is. They actually care and love what they do. His demeanor and nature are both funny, honest, informative and direct.
I can't think of anything to improve on at the clinic. All of the staff are wonderful. They seem to care and enjoy what they do. I used a donor and I never once felt judged for that. All of the nurses were compassionate and helpful. My questions were always answered and my scrips filled on time. Scheduling was easy & usually very convenient with my work schedule.they are all very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They all know that time is of the essence
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is honest, caring, determined, open and very funny. He is not afraid to be emotional either, as I personally experienced. Dr. Young was always honest and realistic from day 1. After 4 failed attempts, he suggested I have a fibroid and a polyp removed. He did the procedure and in less than 2 months, I was pregnant. I consider him to be very intelligent as well as kind, hopeful, really funny and caring. Considering how invasive all the tests & procedures are, his demeanor is top notch. I always felt at ease. When it was time to transition to my OB, we had an exit interview. We both got emotional. You don't expect that from your Dr. I went back after the birth of my son, so he could meet our miracle :)
be prepared to listen, trust and do everything that he tells you
IUI 2 and 3 were a combo of Femara and Ovidrel - didn't work IUI 4, 5 and 6 we switched to injections of Gonal F and Ovidrel. #6 worked. The rationale for being aggressive was because I started the process at age 39. I eventually conceived at 41.
every treatment was around $1500 including visits, tests, drugs, etc.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
The clinic [The Fertility Center] is small enough to keep it intimate and personal, but large enough that they're on the cutting edge of technology such as time lapse. My only complaint is their strong preference for day 2 transfers instead of blast culture...Only once did we have an issue, and it was because they had called the wrong patient so we were confused when they told us that our transfer was several days earlier than it should have been.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is small enough to keep it intimate and personal, but large enough that they're on the cutting edge of technology such as time lapse. My only complaint is their strong preference for day 2 transfers instead of blast culture.
Dr. Dodds is invested in his patients' successes. He's willing to think outside the box and explore alternative treatment options when the first few fail.
Everyone on the nursing staff is amazing. They held us as we cried after every loss, and celebrated with us the day we finally graduated to our OB with our rainbow pregnancy.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is amazing. At first he can seem a bit cold/impersonal, but if you enjoy someone who is blunt but compassionate, he's the doctor for you. And if you fall into the category of "long time" patients, he will become your best ally and an amazing support system.
Give him time. He's amazing once you get to know him.
PCOS patient- used both an estrogen priming protocol (poor egg quality) and an agonist protocol. Once we moved on to FETs exclusively, we added in the resistant uterine protocol, and eventually some stronger immune treatments (IV lipids, high dose steroids, injectable blood thinners) since we couldn't pinpoint a cause for our recurrent losses.
Their costs are listed on their website. Over the course of 5 years, we spent close to $40,000 between IUI cycles, 2 IVF retrievals, 4 frozen transfers, and 2 donor embryo IVF cycles.
Dr. Dodds strongly advocated for eSET since it does not impact live birth rate, but decreases your risk of multiples.
2014 - 2017
Wait times [at the Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] were good. Billing office is good. Expect a couple month wait to get on the ivf list. Our whole experience there was great. They really lead you through the process. Even the dr Shavell was our dr, we did see each dr at some point. One of them did our retrieval, another did one transfer, Shavell did a transfer. But I always felt like they were in the loop and Shavell was available when I needed her to be
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Wait times were good. Billing office is good. Expect a couple month wait to get on the ivf list. Our whole experience there was great. They really lead you through the process. Even the dr Shavell was our dr, we did see each dr at some point. One of them did our retrieval, another did one transfer, Shavell did a transfer. But I always felt like they were in the loop and Shavell was available when I needed her to be.
She was very compassionate when we miscarried. Answered all our questions every time we saw her. Never felt rushed.
They were all phenomenal. Super compassionate. Shared in our sadness and joy.
She is a little soft spoken but not in a bad way. I think she fully knows how emotional the whole the process is and that is why she like that. She does explain realistic odds and expectations and will listen to all your questions. I felt like she guided our care but still made us feel like we had a say in it all.
She will answer every question you ask but may not give every single detail unless you ask.
I used gonal f. They adjusted my dose part way through stims to develop eggs a bit more. They retrieved about as many as they predicted by ultrasound. We did a fresh transfer that resulted in miscarriage. And two frozen transfers that each resulted in a baby.
Roughly $600 per iui including meds Roughly 11,000$ per ivf fresh cycle and transfer including meds. Roughly $5000 per frozen transfer including meds.
She explained the odds of multiples and the risks that could come with multiples. She seemed to lean toward two and we weren’t opposed to twins, so we transferred two each time.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Having two insurances has always been confusing for the billing department here [at The Fertility Center]. I feel like I have to constantly remind them to bill the second insurance. Other times I would get a bill for balance after one insurance company was billed but before the second one could respond for payment or non payment.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Having two insurances has always been confusing for the billing department here. I feel like I have to constantly remind them to bill the second insurance. Other times I would get a bill for balance after one insurance company was billed but before the second one could respond for payment or non payment.
Occasionally we felt as though Dr. Dodd's had a general statement he said to everyone, didn't feel too individualized. But that doesn't factor into how he provides care.
IVF patients have a separate line for questions and nurses. They all know your cycle and there is only one that is hard to understand/more difficult to communicate with.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We are forever thankful to Dr. Dodd's for his expertise and experience. He is honest and trustworthy in managing care.
Write a list of questions before hand and bring them to appointments with you.
Lupron flare protocol is what worked best for good embryos for me and resulted in pregnancy each time. I also used human growth hormone the second cycle and believe it worked very well for my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve/poor responder.
Ultrasounds were scheduled at a hospital closer in location to where I live for my convenience.
Each patient is different for costs as well as procedures needed.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Very clean, organized and friendly. They [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] seemed to be a little overwhelmed with how busy the office was. We didn’t feel like just a number, but here were a lot of people in and out, and they didn’t remember our names, or anything . But understandable with their amount of people and clients.... Like most facilities, fertility treatments are expensive. They were open to the cost, and posted this prior to visits.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very clean, organized and friendly. They seemed to be a little overwhelmed with how busy the office was. We didn’t feel like just a number, but here were a lot of people in and out, and they didn’t remember our names, or anything . But understandable with their amount of people and clients.
Dr. Young was so easy to talk to. He was understanding, and right to the point. Just what we needed.
They were very busy, but organized.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Although we didn’t see him on every visit, he was very good at consulting us when needed, and setting a good plan. He explained all options and left us with our choice, and opinion on how to proceed. Our visits didn’t lead to success, but we are hopeful that IVF will be the one that works, and we will definey go back to Dr. Young!!
Go into you appointment with an open mind. Set plans doesn’t always work, and it is easy to get discouraged. Let the expert guide you on your journey.
He suggested using clinics for a few treatments, although we had already done that for a few years. When several rounds didn’t work, we went on to Clomid and IUI. After 5 IUI attempts, with clomid we then tried injections. After 2 rounds we decided (Dr. Young) that IVF would be our next option.
He just mentioned that we should just choose multiple embryo transfer due to our age. He didn’t like to transfer less than 2.
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The Fertility Center [of Michigan] as a whole was amazing. Every person we encountered was polite, respectful and helpful. Receptionists, nurses, doctors and lab staff greeted us by name, never made us feel rushed and wanted to make sure we understood exactly what was happening and (if possible) why....Whenever I called with a question (billing or medical) my called was returned that same day, usually within an hour or two. The doctors and nurses also made sure to tell us about the free counseling they provide for their patients and the support groups they host. My husband and I felt well taken care of there and they made this whole experience a little better.
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The Fertility Center as a whole was amazing. Every person we encountered was polite, respectful and helpful. Receptionists, nurses, doctors and lab staff greeted us by name, never made us feel rushed and wanted to make sure we understood exactly what was happening and (if possible) why. I had a cyst aspirated twice, removed once, went through one failed IUI and one successful IVF. Dr Young was our primary Doctor but we also interacted with Dr Dodds. I even got lab results from the doctor at 9 pm one weeknight. I felt valued as a patient and made to feel like a priority. Whenever I called with a question (billing or medical) my called was returned that same day, usually within an hour or two. The doctors and nurses also made sure to tell us about the free counseling they provide for their patients and the support groups they host. My husband and I felt well taken care of there and they made this whole experience a little better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Amazing nursing staff
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Absolutely great bedside manner and a wonderful doctor. He made me feel optimistic and well cared for. I would fly across the country to see him.
Take advantage of the counseling the clinic offers at no fee. This is such an emotional experience and the extra support is amazing. The entire staff at TFC is just great.
Grand Rapids
No procedures actually happen in the kalamazoo office [of The Fertility Center of Michigan]. We saw the doctor for original consults but haven’t seen him again. The nurses were not very compassionate but since this was the only clinic on this side of the state we stayed...I had multiple problems/ lots of pain and every time I talked to the nurses they were very dismissive. They weren’t kind and didn’t really seem to care about my feelings. With failed IUIs and cancelled cycles they weren’t compassionate at all.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No procedures actually happen in the kalamazoo office. We saw the doctor for original consults but haven’t seen him again. The nurses were not very compassionate but since this was the only clinic on this side of the state we stayed
He was really personal, kind and was looking out for our best interest.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I think he is very good and effective at what he does. He is kind and has a very good outlook. He is very knowledgeable and seemed like he could treat whatever we had. He always seemed hopeful which helped us. When choosing our course of action he made sure that we wouldn’t waste our time.
Ask questions.
I don’t remember exactly. We did IU and was put on 50 mg of clomid. He wanted more than one egg for a better chance of fertilization. Then we would try IUI. If the sperm wash gave a decent number we would try again. If it didn’t we would be done.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other
The strengths [of The Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] would be how much all of the staff care from the front desk staff, billing, nurses, and the doctors. There is also an IVF line where you can call if you are an IVF patient and there is someone there to answer your questions.... I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths would be how much all of the staff care from the front desk staff, billing, nurses, and the doctors. There is also an IVF line where you can call if you are an IVF patient and there is someone there to answer your questions.
This was our first experience with the IVF process. He explained the entire process and has been very caring and understanding.
We had some issues in the beginning but it’s because my protocol changes a couple times.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He has been great. I have had multiple changes in my plan due to firbroids and cysts but he always has a great plan in place. I am currently doing multi-cycle IVF to try to collect as many eggs as possible due to my low AMH. I was worried about it at first but Dr. Young has explained everything.
Just to trust the process and ask a lot of questions!
One round of timed intercourse with menopur. Now multi-cycle IVF. First round we did 300 of Gonal F and Lupron. Second round will be 450 Gonal F and Lupron.
We are in the process currently.
Grand Rapids
The clinic [The Fertility Center] is super nice and I hardly ever have to wait. I've maybe waited 15 min before...I see the nurses often, mainly for everything. They do my ultrasounds and iui's. I have seen Erica a lot and I love her. She is so sweet, down to earth, and so compassionate....The cost is expensive but all healthcare is. So far since january we have probably spent $4000 and have not gotten pregnant yet....Dr. Shavell seems very nice and soft spoken. Although I have only seen her a few short times.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is super nice and I hardly ever have to wait. I've maybe waited 15 min before.
She is very soft spoken and looks you right In the eye when talking to you.
Dr. Shavell seems very nice and soft spoken. Although I have only seen her a few short times. She gave us as much information as we'd like on all of the different types of procedures that might be right for us.
Do not have super high expectations for treatment working on the first try.
I did 3 months of clomid 50 mgdays 3-7 and ovidrel injection before iui with donor sperm. My first 2 iui's didn't work. My 3rd month was cancelled due to not good enough follicles. Now I am on my 4th month with clomid 100mg with ovidrel and iui with donor sperm again.
Grand Rapids
Some nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were very sympathetic when I was going through my miscarriage. However, there were others that weren't as compassionate about the situation. Overall, it can be tough to get ahold of the nursing staff and receive a call back from them in a timely manner...Appointments seem to usually be running on time and they usually have appointment opening on the day I call or the next day. Their offices are nice and clean but the locations aren't the most convenient...Occasionally, I would have to call them in order to get bloodwork results. Some nurses weren't always able to interpret the results and give me information on precisely what my results were indicating.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Some nurses were very sympathetic when I was going through my miscarriage. However, there were others that weren't as compassionate about the situation. Overall, it can be tough to get ahold of the nursing staff and receive a call back from them in a timely manner.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Overall, I feel Dr Shavell is very knowledgeable and compassionate toward her patients. She was very empathetic when I was experiencing my miscarriage. However, some appointments with her felt rushed at times. She did ask though if I had any questions at the end of appointments.
Come prepared with any potential questions you may have.
Treatment strategies I used with Dr. Shavell include Femara and some cycles with Ovidrel added also. I originally began Femara at the 5 mg dosage and based on the number of follicles I was producing, she asked if I would like to increase my dosage up to 7.5mg. I did that and it did increase the number of follicles I produced.
Grand Rapids
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner...Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190...The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful...Since I had already taken Clomid for 5 cycles we moved on to taking Femara on days 3-7 and taking Ovidrel on day 13 for 3 cycles. I also had an ultrasound on day 13 of each cycle to check on folicle production. The first cycle I had produced 3 large follicles, the 2nd only 2 good sized follicles and the 3rd, one good size and one small follicle. None of these cycles resulted in pregnancy. We are now planning on laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The doctors and nurses at this clinic are very knowledgable and helpful. Unfortunately, this clinic did not accept my insurance so many procedures were expensive.
They treated me as an individual and was knowledgable of my case.
The nursing staff was very informative and always returned my phone calls in a timely manner.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young was very patient with my many questions and made sure I knew exactly what to expect before moving on. He set up a road map of the steps we would take throughout our journey on our first meeting.
Be open and completely honest with your goals.
Ultrasound visits cost around $170. Visits with the Doctor were $190.
Other, Unexplained
They [The Fert Ctr- Grand Rapids] are one of the cheaper IVF clinics, but this is because they do two-day embryo transfers and very little monitoring. They have a small staff of only 3-4 doctors, so it is sometimes difficult to get on the schedule. They also produce a lot of twin pregnancies as they recommend transferring two embryos....At least once we had to call the nurse line to have them send a prescription that they said they called in.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are one of the cheaper IVF clinics, but this is because they do two-day embryo transfers and very little monitoring. They have a small staff of only 3-4 doctors, so it is sometimes difficult to get on the schedule. They also produce a lot of twin pregnancies as they recommend transferring two embryos.
Dodds is always personable and doesn't just talk medical stuff.
They are always friendly and helpful.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is always friendly and compassionate. He will not sugar-coat anything and will make sure you understand what will happen. It is clear that he wants you to succeed. He sometimes talks very fast and about clinical/medical things that are over your head, but he is very passionate about what he does.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and tell him to slow down if you don't understand something.
After 5 failed IUIs (using Clomid or Femara), we chose to go ahead with IVF to increase our chances. Thebfresh transfer failed. The FET resulted in a blighted ovum. There are no known fertility issues.
Over $30,000 so far
They recommend transferring two two-day embryos. They have a high result of twins because of this. We know several couples personally who have twins from this practice who have no known fertility issues (lesbian couples) and are not advanced maternal age. The clinic doesn't normally grown embryos to day five, with the theory that the embryos do better the sooner you transfer them back. These strategies seem to help with cost saving more than actual outcomes.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Nurses were fantastic in the office. Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating....Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they [The Fert Ctr - Grand Rapids] call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first....
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first.
Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend.
Have honest expectations of the process. Not everything is an exact science and the doctors do everything in their power to provide you with the best possible outcomes.
Roughly 18-20k
Dr Doods and the team only ever encouraged single embryo transfer due to our age and health. I agreed with this advice.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
I have nothing bad to say about this office [The Fertility Center]!...I felt very comfortable with the nurses. They knew that we had already been through so much heartache and made us feel at peace with the whole process....I thought they were much higher than they should have been. For a follicle scan...using the same exact machine as my ob does for an ultrasound, it was $184 not covered by insurance. And then, if you had to meet in the consult room for more than 5 min, it was another $68 I believe. For what we have already been through emotionally, I feel it was way over done.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have nothing bad to say about this office!
I felt like he cared specifically for me and not for money.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was in denial that I even needed to see a specialist. But once I met with him, he didn't make me feel like it was a bad thing that I needed him. I so much hope when I left our very first meeting. I truly felt that after 5 miscarriages at that time, that we were going to be parents with his help!
Trust him!!
I took femara 5mg on cycle days 3-7. On CD 13 I had a follicle scan where they found a large follicle that they were very pleased with. I was then given a shot of ovidrel in the office. Was told to have intercourse two days later. We got pregnant on the first cycle and now have a healthy 2 yr old!
Grand Rapids
Never had to wait for very long [at The Fertility Center - Grand Rapids]. I think the longest I waited in the waiting room was 10 minutes, which is unheard of for a doctor's office. It was easy to schedule and billing was easy...They were all very kind and helpful. The only negative I can think of is that they had a really hard time with my ultrasounds each time and it was pretty painful.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Never had to wait for very long. I think the longest I waited in the waiting room was 10 minutes, which is unheard of for a doctor's office. It was easy to schedule and billing was easy.
She was very kind and explained everything in as much detail as I wanted. She made sure I was aware of all of the options I had and was respectful of the options I did not want to try.
Dr. Shavell was great at explaining everything and she was very kind. She only did one of my ultrasounds before IUI and that is the time I got pregnant. It makes me wonder if that was a factor in me getting pregnant vs. the nurse doing the ultrasound and determining the course of action. I wish that Dr. Shavell did it each time.
It is a hard road, but don't be afraid to ask questions.
I used Femara because Clomid wasn't working for me. My husband also used Fertilaid. I also had to inject Ovidril when they told me to. Lastly, she had us do IUI. We were not comfortable with IVF, so this was the best course of action for us.
We ended up spending around $10,000.
2013 - 2015
Dr Shively whom performed embryo transfer was very kind as was the nursing staff. Make sure you ask questions...[Nursing Staff was] Very compassionate...[Monitoring Appointments was] Very convenient.
2013 - 2015
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Compassion as a weakness with Dr Dodds. Dr Shively whom performed embryo transfer was very kind as was the nursing staff. make sure you ask questions
When I was told that our pregnancy didn't survive, that it was an empty sac, the Dr had a student in there and the Dr seemed to be showing off and not very compassionate.
Very compassionate
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Very non compassionate when finding out pregnancy did not survive. We were devastated and he was very non compassionate.
None
I took injectable medications for ovarian stimulation and had transvaginal ultrasounds every 2 to 3 days to monitor follicles. I then had egg retrieval process that was extremely painful as I was awake the entire time. They were unable to get to my right ovary where most of my eggs were due to it being swollen or in a position behind my uterus. The 6 embryos we had were fertilized but by transfer day (3), only 1 survived and was grade C. The embryo was successful and we were over the moon with excitement. However, our ultrasound appt revealed an empty sac. We were very devastated. I did not miscarry on my own after 4 weeks and required a D and C.
Very convenient
IVF total with medication $10k
2012
Anovulation, Other
The clinic [Fertility Center of MI] was easy to find, professional looking, had a good layout, and was clean. There were pictures of babies that had resulted from the clinic, which could be sensitive for some, but could be encouraging for others.... The staff was wonderful. They were caring and answered any questions we had. They always showed respect.... The staff and Dr. Young were very caring and compassionate with every interaction.
2012
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic was easy to find, professional looking, had a good layout, and was clean. There were pictures of babies that had resulted from the clinic, which could be sensitive for some, but could be encouraging for others.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young was very thorough with reviewing things and coming up with a plan of treatment. He made sure our questions were answered and had good bedside manner. He was very kind and also presented all the facts.
Try not to lose hope.
It was discovered that I have hypothyroidism, so treatment began immediately for that. Since I was not ovulating, we planned to do 3 cycles with Femara and Ovidrel, and if those were unsuccessful, we would move on to discuss other options. An ultrasound was done during the cycle to see how many eggs there were, the basic quality, and to determine when to do the Ovidrel shot. The first cycle was unsuccessful. The second cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy.
Grand Rapids
They [The Fert Ctr - Grand Rapids are very clean and organized. We hardly ever had to wait long at all for appointments. They took time to meet with us after each appointment and made sure we understood. The clinic is very professional and all works together like a very strong team...Sandy and all the nurses were very understanding of all our questions and took the time to really care for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very clean and organized. We hardly ever had to wait long at all for appointments. They took time to meet with us after each appointment and made sure we understood. The clinic is very professional and all works together like a very strong team.
Dr. Dodds and the entire staff is so caring and truly walk beside you during the whole journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy )
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds was the main doctor in charge of us. We had different doctors for the retrieval and transfer but all the doctors and staff were great to work with. It is not just a job ... it is their passion.
Be ready for a journey full of ups and downs. Stay connected with your spouse and know that you are in the best medical practice you can be in.
IVF shots (especially Gonal F) Retrieval Surgery Transfer
Cost for surgery, transfer, meds, dr appointments, ultrasounds, bloodwork
Endometriosis, Unexplained
It took a long time to get in to see a doctor [at The Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids]. We waited 45 minutes to get into the doc on our first visit. When we got in, the nurses were great. It did not quite meet our expectations as we left feeling a bit discouraged as the main thing the doctor talked about was IVF.. Clomid or femara Day 3-5 ultrasound Mid cycle ultrasound IUI day 12-15 Surgery to remove endometriosis No results
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It took a long time to get in to see a doctor. We waited 45 minutes to get into the doc on our first visit. When we got in, the nurses were great. It did not quite meet our expectations as we left feeling a bit discouraged as the main thing the doctor talked about was IVF
I felt it was all about meds and pushing IVF. There wasn’t much compassion encouraging me that they could help
They were nice and explained everything
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems to know his stuff yet didn’t make us feel super confident that we would get pregnant. When asked about further testing, he said there wasn’t much else they could do. He seems to care but we would appreciate more compassion
Don’t expect compassion
I think the clinic is average as to what other clinics cost. They did a good job of helping us find cheaper medication
Grand Rapids
Location is close to our house. Clinic [The Fertility Center] is clean. Usually flexible with scheduling and will return calls promptly. Appreciate free counseling service...[Nurse] Julie is very blunt and not very warm or friendly....Limited amount of time was spent face to face. If we wanted to schedule a consult there was an extra fee. Majority of communication was with nurses. Only saw Dodds briefly on the day of retrieval...$14,000 [cost of treatment]
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Location is close to our house. Clinic is clean. Usually flexible with scheduling and will return calls promptly. Appreciate free counseling service.
Dr. Dodds did not remember specifics to my case. Always had to refer to my chart.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie is very blunt and not very warm or friendly.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Limited amount of time was spent face to face. If we wanted to schedule a consult there was an extra fee. Majority of communication was with nurses. Only saw Dodds briefly on the day of retrieval. He did not know the plan to freeze all embryos until he read my chart in the room before the retrieval.
Ask all the questions you can when you have the chance.
Birth control for 3 weeks Gonal f and menopur for stims Lupron and Hcg for trigger Fresh cycle was cancelled due to high progesterone, switched to a frozen cycle. We are waiting to hear how many eggs fertilized.
He waffled between one and two at our first meeting. Then our nurse said he recommended two, never heard the rational behind his decision.
Kalamazoo
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
All of the doctors [at Fertility Center of Michigan] work for your care. They all are concerned for you. They are on time and efficient. Sometimes checking out took longer than I would have preferred. Other than that I can’t think of any weaknesses.... For IVF it was 12000 (that includes the medicine we ordered from other places).... They have a guide to how many eggs they transfer, but will discuss everything with you in case you have different preferences.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
All of the doctors work for your care. They all are concerned for you. They are on time and efficient. Sometimes checking out took longer than I would have preferred. Other than that I can’t think of any weaknesses.
She called me to check on me when I was concerned.
They were friendly, patient, kind, and helpful.
She is compassionate. She states the facts. She listens to your concerns. She is soft spoken. She is knowledgeable. She will reach out to you and check on you. She is optimistic. She takes the time to answer your questions.
Don’t be afraid to ask her any questions you have.
I have DOR so we used an estrogen primed MDLF protocol. We did this to try to maximize the number of eggs collected. We retrieved 7 eggs, 2 became embryos, 1 is almost 3 months old and currently sleeping in my arms.
For IVF it was 12000 (that includes the medicine we ordered from other places).
Grand Rapids
I love how they have such a large staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.... He has a very laid back personality. Did not meet with him every time, but I did not mind because the other doctors and nurses were very friendly and willing to help. I appreciate that the wait time to see him was not super long.... He is always friendly and on time.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I love how they have such a large staff that they are able to go along with my cycle instead of messing with it to fit their time line. I just wished that the 4 IUI's and the IVF round would have worked.
He is always friendly and on time.
How was your experience with James Young at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be patient & try not to get overwhelmed by the process, and the needles. All the many needles.
I was on so many, I do not remember. I know I took Clomid, Femara, Gonal F, Progesterone shots in oil, ovidril, and a few others I cannot remember the names of.
Due to my insurance not covering anything, I have paid over $20,000 so far, out of pocket, for our treatments,
He wanted to transfer multiple embryos, and so did we.
Grand Rapids
Clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very clean, neat and the staff there is very friendly and well mannered. They get to know each patient to make you feel comfortable. They treat you as a human and not like a number. Theres nothing i would change about this clinic or staff...They talked to me, not at me and answered all my questions.
Black or African-American, Other
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Clinic is very clean, neat and the staff there is very friendly and well mannered. They get to know each patient to make you feel comfortable. They treat you as a human and not like a number. Theres nothing i would change about this clinic or staff.
They talked to me, not at me and answered all my questions.
All his nurses are extremely awesome and have great attitudes.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds actually sat down to speak with me about all options possible. Only downside to me is, I would like to see more of him when cycles dont work to explain a better solution instead of using his nurses.
That Dr. Dodds actually cares about his patients
Most of my cycles consisted of taking Femara cd3-7 then doing Gonal F injections cd7-14 then on cd25 i would take the trigger shot. Never got a positive pregnancy test on any cycle.
Femara - $100/cycle Gonal F - $600/cycle Trigger shot - $200/cycle Blood work and Ultrasounds were covered by insurance (no longer have).
2011 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Most of the staff is amazing but we had one nurse who was rude and inconsiderate...He [Dr. William Dodds] does very well trying to get you pregnant. He sits at your level and talks to you like a person. He shows he cares and he does his best with what he has in front of him. He let me ask whatever questions is have and allows me to be myself.
2011 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Everything has been great
He talked to me at my level and allowed me to ask lots of questions
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He does very well trying to get you pregnant. He sits at your level and talks to you like a person. He shows he cares and he does his best with what he has in front of him. He let me ask whatever questions is have and allows me to be myself.
To come prepared with lots of questions and knowledge
He started with injections and ultrasounds and then did iris with injections.
Most everything was covered under my insurance. What isn't covered was iui and ivf
Grand Rapids
The nursing staff [at the Fertility Center of Michigan-Grand Rapids] has been nothing but amazing.... The only issue we had was that she [Dr. Valeri Shavell]did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that. Now that we are starting the IVF process, we have seen her at each appointment and are feeling a lot better about the process... She as very honest and open with us at the beginning of our journey with her. She gave us options and let us help her choose our next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
The nursing staff has been nothing but amazing.
The only issue we had was that she did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that. Now that we are starting the IVF process, we have seen her at each appointment and are feeling a lot better about the process.
She is very soft spoken and down to business at first, but as she gets to know you and your significant other, she warms up and is more personable.
Office visits, procedures, ultra sounds, medications, embryo storage
Grand Rapids
[The nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] Seemed to communicate well with each other so everyone was on the same page about my treatment...Hadn’t worked with many singles at the time I worked with them. May have changed now. Not open on Sundays which is a significant issue; if you’re ready then, they’re closed. Now connected with Spectrum which is helpful for me.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Spoke to me in caring manner
Difficult as she did not provide treatment to me, but the nurse or doctor that worked at the time I was ovulating. Hard to work with so many different professionals but understand why it had to be that way.
Request to have a consult after every failed attempt.
I do not recall
Don’t recall
Didn’t have this
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Dodds] is so kind and genuinely caring. You can tell he had a passion for helping couples achieve families.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Dodds got to know us and our situation. He was optimistic and yet realistic about our chances of conceiving.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is so kind and genuinely caring. You can tell he had a passion for helping couples achieve families.
Come prepared with questions