3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
555 MidTowne
Mason, MI 48854
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

Dr. Dodd’s is a very caring and intelligent man. He personally called me to explain the results of the negative pregnancy test and met with us immediately after to start planning our next steps...We bumped up follistim to 187.5 because my follicles weren’t as large as anticipated. Had bloodwork/ultrasound every 2 days to track. When follicles looked good we scheduled the egg retrieval.
Heidi [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was great. The front desk staff are excellent. They remembered me and treated me like family. The staff in Grand Rapids Michigan were awful. On the day of the mock transfer and ultrasound, the nurse did not greet me, did not introduce herself, and did not explain things as she went. She pulled up my shirt and started putting ultrasound gel on without even telling me I needed to lift up my shirt. When the doctor completed the mock transfer, both the nurse and the doctor walked out without telling me
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very kind and informative. A different doctor did my embryo transfer and I was very disappointed in how things were handled. Dr Dodd’s listened to our complaints and assured us this next round will be different. He helped us with cost as we didn’t anticipate a negative test. He personally called us to go over results and met with us to discuss moving forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Make sure you see Dr Dodd’s and not Dr young.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We started out with 150 follistim and 1ml menopure for the first 4 days. Seeing the doctor every 2 days for ultrasound and bloodwork. We bumped up follistim to 187.5 because my follicles weren’t as large as anticipated. Had bloodwork/ultrasound every 2 days to track. When follicles looked good we scheduled the egg retrieval. I was given IV sedation, antibiotics, and valume to take. The next day Dr young called stating we retrieved 11 eggs but 1 fertilized and was “Mediocre with no hope of survival but we will transfer anyway”. We transferred the one embryo. I was given antibiotics to take for 3 days (I think) and progesterone injections every night until pregnancy test results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Heidi )
Heidi was great. The front desk staff are excellent. They remembered me and treated me like family. The staff in Grand Rapids Michigan were awful. On the day of the mock transfer and ultrasound, the nurse did not greet me, did not introduce herself, and did not explain things as she went. She pulled up my shirt and started putting ultrasound gel on without even telling me I needed to lift up my shirt. When the doctor completed the mock transfer, both the nurse and the doctor walked out without telling me I can put my pants back on. I had to ask if I was able to get dressed and asked if there was a pad I could have. She said “yes” very coldly and walked out. I had to find the exit myself. She also assisted Dr Young (whom I complained about during my embryo transfer) during the embryo transfer. It was the same experience. Did not tell me what was going on, did not greet my husband or myself. Did not say congratulations or happy transfer day. They were stone cold. I told Dr Dodd’s how this made me want to stop IVF and I refused to work with them again.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: the front desk staff are great. Weaknesses: appointments being pushed out so far. I feel as though this clinic lost sight of what IVF means to the patients requiring treatment. This clinic does not send appointment reminders. This is the closest clinic to us and we have no other choice but to go through them. I feel as though that is taken advantage of and they don’t really know what it is like to go through what their patients go through.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There is a non refundable IVF treatment fee that is $1800. We were quoted around $6,500 for the whole process. Our insurance gave us a $25,000 lifetime limit and $10,000 lifetime medication limit. After the first round we have some left for lifetime limit and $1,000 left for medication. I did not expect this.
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We were supposed to transfer multiple embryos. Our doctor preferred this. He said it had a higher chance of one embryo sticking.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When going through IVF, all injections are done at home. They send you home with a folder FULL of paperwork and hope you get the dosing/timing correct. The first nurse I had (not Heidi) did not even demo the injections or how to draw/mix them. Heidi straightened this out.
Kalamazoo

Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.) ... He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time. ... No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done. ... He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. ...
Weaknesses: staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI] is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. ... It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. ... It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.): 1) The "European method". He explained this as "...if you want a baby ASAP, I can get you one using IVF. I call it the European method because it's cheaper and used more often in Europe. It's like the deluxe package". Or we could go the 2). Conservative route. Which would be try more medicated cycles and then IUIs and see what we could get to happen. But that we had maybe a 15-30% chance of ever conceiving this way. I was, and still am, diagnosed as Unexplained Infertility. I do not have PCOS, endometriosis, or diminished ovarian reserve, I ovulate regularly, am healthy, and all tests have come back in good range. I believe the only reason he said IVF was my best option is my age. He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. At one time he used the phrase "Well it's a good thing that's how the good Lord made you!" when discussing female reproductive anatomy. He commented on how "great" my husband's sperm analysis was several times. He called him an "overachiever". I left feeling hopeless, pressured to spend anywhere from $10-25,000 for IVF with them, and that my body was a complete failure. I never met with him in person again. I went through 4 IUI cycles in which he supposedly read the monitoring reports and made recommendations. It took me changing Drs to get a new protocol. He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time.
Go in confident. Do not let him pressure you to make decisions. Ask questions, and ask them again. Ask that you see him in person once in awhile to check in. Ask if he personally is monitoring your cycle. I doubt he will, but I wish I had demanded it more.
The entire office is impersonal, and you can see a different nurse, tech, or doctor each time. There is little to no consistency nor connection with your primary doctor. You are called through the same process each visit and can see others doing the same. I felt like cattle being processed for ultrasounds and IUIs. I was rarely referred to by name. Doctors who had performed IUIs on me, did not remember me from cycle to cycle. I once walked into the wrong consult room (down a long hallway, all doors look the same) and Dr. Dodds welcomed me in and asked me to sit down. He was in fact waiting for a different patient. He was not my Dr. that day, didn't recognize me, (note: he is considered my PRIMARY Dr. and has met me in-person) nor, apparently, the patient he was supposed to be waiting for. I excused myself and went to the Dr. I was seeing that day.
My first medicated cycle, he had me do 100mg of Clomid days 3-7. I produced 6-8 mature follicles. They recommended we switch to timed intercourse rather than IUI to avoid multiples. Then, I used 50 and 100 mg of Clomid days 3-7 (alternating days), with transvaginal monitoring on Day 1, and then closer to ovulation. We hoped to get 3-5 follicles of good size. I produced these each time, with some of them getting to a very large size---38mm was my largest. Ovidril was used to trigger ovulation and IUI was performed around 24-36 hrs later. I used progesterone the day following and for the next 14 days. I was not told that progesterone could stop my period from coming and I needed to stop after a negative test in order to allow myself to bleed. This lead to quite a bit of disappointment and heartache right off the bat. By the time we came to IUI #3, my lining was severely thinning due to the Clomid. I then started using estradiol to help build my lining. No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
A new person every time. The ultrasound techs were aloof and impersonal. They seemed upset to be there. The nursing staff would make recommendations or changes in the protocol which were in direct contradiction to the original protocol. I never felt confident when they told me to change the protocol b/c they did not seem sure or confident when I questioned why we were changing. It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Weaknesses: staff is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. I was crying with frustration in a consultation room once. I go myself back together and went to check out. It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. I had fulfilled my deductible. She continued to ask for payment for services that were coming back as "going to deductible". I understand business, and this is one, but I was very obviously upset and it was not an appropriate time to ask for these things. This is still a very emotional journey.
With medications, consults, 4 IUIs, etc. about $7,000. A 10 min conversation with the Dr following my ultrasound would cost me about $150 each time. Ultrasound: $120 ea. IUI: $1200 +.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Among many other things: I had to call in for over a week to get them to call my specialty pharmacy for a prescription that was time-sensitive. I finally left a pleading message which led them to call. I was left at the blood lab at 8 in the morning without my stat lab order being called in in the appropriate time. I had to call repeatedly for 30 min to get them to call the order in so that I could get my blood drawn, get the recommendation for the injectible meds that afternoon, and get to work on time. I had to call off and on for 2 1/2 weeks to get my records sent to my new choice in fertility clinic (CNY Fertility; $3900 IVF. They are also groundbreaking and amazing) ahead of my consult (I requested this 1 1/2 months in advance). I hope to never have to utilize them ever again. Ever.
Grand Rapids

I felt very much like a number when all I was prescribed were different meds and feeling left in the dark on what what happening. She [Dr. Shavell] made me feel like my one pregnancy loss was also just a number. (Especially when she said hey don’t look into it farther until you lose 2 or 3) Yes we started fertility treatments at age 20&21 but that doesnt make us less important...Be firm on what you feel you need as a patient. If you ever feel dissatisfied, get another drs opinion before continuing your journey.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] definitely had a lot of space and resources. Very clean and sanitary. Scheduling was done very well. I do think they all tend to still see you as a number though and less like a couple who is struggling...They [nurses] were helpful. Some more than others and actually have genuine compassion. Some made you feel like they just needed to get our task done and move on quickly to the next people.....
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She gave sympathetic gestures and comments when appropriate, but they did not seem genuine. We were very upset when we asked questions even concerning but husband on cycle 5 (looking to start cycle 6 with more injections and visits) we asked about checking him and why we haven’t after doing so much with me. We were brushed off and my husband wasn’t ever checked by them. Took my PCP/obgyn to actually order the test for us. Very very disappointed after spending so much time and money there
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I felt very much like a number when all I was prescribed were different meds and feeling left in the dark on what what happening. She made me feel like my one pregnancy loss was also just a number. (Especially when she said hey don’t look into it farther until you lose 2 or 3) Yes we started fertility treatments at age 20&21 but that doesnt make us less important.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
It has been a few years, but she tested my blood and put me on thyroid meds. Then I would be on femara and go in often for ultrasounds to see my cycle progress and timing for ovidril shots. Then we wait 16 days and take a pregnancy test. 2nd cycle we conceived but then had a very early misscarriage. There was so much going on in each treatment that it is hard to remmeber
They were helpful. Some more than others and actually have genuine compassion. Some made you feel like they just needed to get our task done and move on quickly to the next people.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They definitely had a lot of space and resources. Very clean and sanitary. Scheduling was done very well. I do think they all tend to still see you as a number though and less like a couple who is struggling
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance covered some of the cost. I think it was between $100-$200 per visit after insurance.
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We never explored either option
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We just had a very bad experience and decided to never go back. The strain on our emotional health was just horrible. Not just because of the horizons fluctuations due to the treatments, but just the level of care for us as an actual couple desiring to have a family. The one conversation I had with Dr. Dodd’s was the my comfort I felt there (which was during my misscarriage)
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
My doctor [Dr. Dodds] never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient...He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case.
Great nurses & office staff [The Fertility Center] at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large....One of my mini IVF extraction was cancelled bc they waited a day too long....My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me....$50,000ish after 7 cycles...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case. I know other couples who did feel a connection with him & have great things to say about him.
Make a connection with your nurses & advocate for yourself.
My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me. My doctor never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient.
I did a traditional long stim protocol the first round because everything was completely normal with my blood work & ultrasounds. They transferred the only 2 embryos 2 days after my extraction. I had a negative result. For our second round they did a hyper stim flare protocol since I didn’t produce the amount of eggs they were expecting. We ended up with 2 embryos again despite the hopes of getting much more. We did a FET 2 months later & had a positive result. 2 weeks later we lost. We them moved forward with 5 mini iVF’s in the hopes of getting high quality eggs. 2 of the 5 extractions were cancelled due to a dominant follocule & a possible missed ovulation. We ended up with 3 frozen embryos after undergoing the mini IVF’s. We did a FET with an angry uterine protocol (intrauterine HCG injection)& transferred 2 & had a neGative result. We did another FET (also angry uterine/HCG injection)with our last embryo & received a positive. This pregnacy ended in an ectopic pregnancy which was treated with methotrexate. I completed an endometrial receptivity assay & the results indicated I needed a transfer 24 hours after the norm. We are beginning another round of the hyperstim flare protocol in May with the angry uterine protocol/HCG injection for the FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S & Ashley )
My nurses have been AMAZING.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great nurses & office staff at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large.
$50,000ish after 7 cycles
For my case, Dodd’s indicates that multiple embryo transfer is best bc the hormones supplied by the additional embryos may support the strongest embryo.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
One of my mini IVF extraction was cancelled bc they waited a day too long.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Dodds] was very real, caring, friendly, relatable. He also explained things the best as far as talking in layman’s terms. He was the only provider I had a comfortable IUI with, and a couple of times he was the only one who could get it right. His only weakness in our case was not providing a thorough enough evaluation or looking at the big picture.... They never ordered a semen analysis on my husband and put us through 5 IUI cycles (after several medication only cycles) with non ideal sperm quantity/quality. We had no idea there was anything wrong with my husbands sperm until we went for our 5th IUI
During the course of our treatment we saw all of the doctors at the clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] at least once (there are 4) and they were very impersonal. The way the staff and dotors talked to us about our procedures and what they were seeing was like they could have been talking to anyone.... One of my IUI’s was awful because of the nursing staff. The main nurse could not get the catheter into my cervix so she poked it several times trying to get it in. Once I was in tears she got another nurse who did the same.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Of all the doctors in the clinic Dr Dodds was by far my favorite. He has the best bedside manner and personality. He was very real, caring, friendly, relatable. He also explained things the best as far as talking in layman’s terms. He was the only provider I had a comfortable IUI with, and a couple of times he was the only one who could get it right. His only weakness in our case was not providing a thorough enough evaluation or looking at the big picture.
Make them get specific about your individual case and why they are recommending a specific course of treatment for YOU specifically.
During the course of our treatment we saw all of the doctors at the clinic at least once (there are 4) and they were very impersonal. The way the staff and dotors talked to us about our procedures and what they were seeing was like they could have been talking to anyone. My initial consult was very short (with Dr Young) and he didn’t have any additional insight as far as the diagnosis I came in with from my Obgyn (endometriosis, recurrent pregnancy loss). I felt like my course of treatment was “this is what we do for all of our patients with endometriosis and/or recurrent pregnancy loss” rather than tailoring my treatment to my individual needs, considering all factors involved. They never asked for updated health information or changes. I developed hypothyroidism during my time going to the clinic, and that was found by my regular Obgyn at an annual check-up. They never once did a semen analysis on my husband, despite the fact we requested the need for it every time we were there (over a dozen times). When we went for our 5th IUI and were told my husband had no good sperm to inseminate we discovered every sample he had given was bad and we were never told! What a waste of time, money and emotions hoping it would work! What’s worse, all Dr Dodds had to stay at that insemination appointment about it was “maybe you had a virus that caused your sperm count and morphology to be off this month, let’s take a month off and you can come back and try again”. After that we had it and decided to stop seeking treatment there and my husband started seeing a urologist we found. In 2 years I never felt like I had a personalized experience, or that I had a thorough evaluation.
3 cycles of femara with ovadril and timed intercourse, 5 cycles of IUI using femara and ovadril.
One of my IUI’s was awful because of the nursing staff. The main nurse could not get the catheter into my cervix so she poked it several times trying to get it in. Once I was in tears she got another nurse who did the same. After that they got a doctor to come in and do it. I was bleeding and sore from the procedure and had to wear a very uncomfortable sponge (like an enourmous tampon) to prevent the semen from leaking out. After that I requested to not have any more IUI’s with the nurses. They were all very nice nurses, but seemed very “programmed” in there conversations and responses. They were not very personal or overly empathetic- all business.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have several friends who had fine experiences at this clinic- once conceived twins through Ivf! Their experiences were all different from mine. I’m not sure what the reason was for them not thourougly evaluating my case or gathering all the information, but my husband and I were incredibly frustrated with their lack of empathy and communication regarding our individual situation. We decided to pursue ivf at a different clinic because we didn’t trust that they would do a thourough job managing our case and tailoring it to our individual needs. Our insurance does not cover anything for fertility coverage and we opted to spend that money at a place we felt we could trust and feel like true individual patients.
The office took my insurance so I only had to pay $25 for the consults (we had 4 I believe). The follicular ultrasounds were about $20 with my copay. Fertility meds are not covered under my insurance so that was all out of pocket. The IUI’s ended up being around $900 each (meds and monitoring included in that cycle)
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
They never ordered a semen analysis on my husband and put us through 5 IUI cycles (after several medication only cycles) with non ideal sperm quantity/quality. We had no idea there was anything wrong with my husbands sperm until we went for our 5th IUI (on my husbands 30th birthday) and found his sperm sample was so bad they didn’t charge us for the IUI because they didn’t believe it would work. They STILL did not recommend anything other than taking a month off and trying a 6th IUI with hopefully better sperm. We spent thousands of dollars there in a 2 year time period. We absolutely felt like numbers rather than patients. We are now paying completely out of pocket for IVF at another clinic that is across the state from us (4 hour drive away). We wasted money, years of time (egg/sperm quality) and time off work all because they failed to treat the whole patient as an individual.
2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
he [Dr. William Dodds] described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember...He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol
It [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I described a lot in my last answer already. Of course, it's easier to describe the things that were off putting, than remember all of the good things. So, I'll describe two things that were on the negative side: On the first visit was a little odd that Dr. Dodds spoke a lot about how he used to practice in California and that he treated famous people (with success) and that he was such a geek that he didn't recognize who they were. It would have been funny, but he talked a lot about it. Also on that visit, he described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember. Also the office in Kalamazoo doesn't offer all of the services, like the actual IUI, so it was hard to remember where we would need to travel to other offices for what, or what days. He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol, and hinted that they would discuss in their group doctor biweekly meeting if they could help us at all with a future cycle (financially), but this help was mentioned again.
Prepare to have your treatment be really inconvenient if you work. Their Kalamazoo office hours are very limited, as are the services performed there. Their main office is in Grand Rapids. The thing is, there are no other RE offices in the county. I know the question says one piece of advice, but I have another note: especially if your insurance doesn't cover treatment, it can be very pricey. I was surprised though that the charges were less than what I had read on the internet were typical. Dr Dodds said their board of trustees makes sure they hold to something like cost + 10% for all charges.
Dr Dodds has always been friendly and open to myself and my husband. I appreciated when he would say things like "if you were my daughter, this is the advice I would give you." He also did wonders in helping my husband in understanding of all of this infertility madness. He explained the gravity of things, like going in hot tubs, that just was not sinking in when coming from me, or from the articles I had tried to get him to read. I felt like he gave us the right amount of optimism without over promising.
Antagonist protocol for IVF. Recommendation for microdose Lupron flare protocol for next cycle IVF. I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer.
There are several nurses that attend to non IVF patients, so I saw about 4 or 5 different nurses. When I became an IVF patients, there are a few dedicated. They were always very nice and compassionate. Sometimes I felt like they were rushed, more so on phone calls than in person. When you call, you always have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I would sometimes be playing 3 or 4 rounds of phone tag. That is really hard when I'm busy at work. I have to note that on the first visit, with my husband, we met with a nurse who was usually in the Grand Rapids office. She was honestly clueless. Every question we asked, such as "where would my husband go with a sperm analysis" meant she had to leave the room and ask the doctor. If I asked, for example which day we would start clomid, she would say "I think it's day 3". I think, or I'm pretty sure are not good enough in this context! I never saw that nurse again and never had wishy washy, uninformed answers from other nurses. Calling and leaving messages is the only option for communication. The exception is during IVF cycle, they have Grand Rapids nurses on call so you can get a call back at any time you have questions. I was really happy to get a quick call back from a nurse to ask dosage questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Small regional office, which is a satellite from the main Grand Rapids office. It is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.
HSG was over $1000. Each ultrasound is about $300 (2-3 per cycle). Clomid = $24. Gonal-f was $500. Blood tests are about $250 each cycle. In my first 6 months of treatment it cost approx $2000 total for two cancelled IUI cycles. IUI about 5k each with medications IVF with ICSI close to 20k with medications, monitoring, anesthesia, and blood tests
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was a pointing fingers moment when a prescription was not filled when I arrived at the pharmacy. The office said they had, the pharmacy said they had not. Then there was question about the dosage. It was a total pain in the ass. Since I had to start taking the next day, I had to drive 90 minutes out of the way to another pharmacy, since the closer pharmacies did not have it in stock. If they would have received the script when the dr office said they sent it, there would have been plenty of time to order. During IVF cycle there was a medication missed in the order. Also unclear if it was all on the nurse, or the pharmacy. It's just very stressful to have a 24hr window to work it out before it's a catastrophe for the cycle, and to be spending so much time calling in between clinic, pharmacy, etc while at work. Two instances of conflicting info: the first was when they gave Fertility pharmacy a discount code for injectables on my behalf, but it was not applicable since I don't have a co-pay. I could had gotten cheap meds if that had been clear. Lastly, on the mid cycle appointment before my IUI, the nurse said not to inject the ovidril, but then called 5 mins after I left the office to tell me that dr Dodds said to inject. That was fine, since I could get my husband to bring the shot.

2020, Unsuccessful
Just pushed through a process [with Dr. Shavell]...I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Just pushed through a process [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...I felt like the clinic had too much going on to focus on the individuals. I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Do your research. Make sure you know what you are willing to do and your expected timeline for results. Be meticulous with your budget. Things get very expensive very quickly.
Just pushed through a process
Most of the nurses were great and compassionate!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office is very nice and clean. The front office staff could be friendlier and more compassionate for sure. At times it was rather difficult to get ahold of people and get answers. I ended up leaving for another clinic because I felt like just a number that was shuffled about.
My insurance did cover most of my procedures but that was because the clinic kept me at a minimal level of care that did not result in pregnancy. I ended up paying about $1000 for a few failed cycles and no resulting pregnancy.
No comment
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As stated earlier, I felt like a number. I didn’t feel like the clinic was overly motivated to get me pregnant.
Grand Rapids

12 rounds of Femara, 4 iui [protocol with Dr. Shavell]. Got pregnant on the 2nd iui but miscarried. Taking a break of the next round doesn’t work and then switching to injectables... is very nice but I feel that i am treated as a number. I only see or hear from her when I specifically request an appointment and I find myself having to remind her of things that she should already know...Conflicting information is my biggest complaint. It’s almost as if nurses and doctors don’t communicate. I’ve had them drop the ball several times related to my thyroid treatment and I’ve had to question advice they’ve given. It’s hard for me to trust what they are saying.
I have to re explain my situation every time I am at the fertility center [of Michigan]. There is no consistent treatment...A complete lack of communication and they clearly don’t look at files before talking to you. I’ve have had to re explain my miscarriage what feels like 1000 times. I get different answers depending on the nurse I’m talking to... It’s almost as if nurses and doctors don’t communicate. I’ve had them drop the ball several times related to my thyroid treatment and I’ve had to question advice they’ve given. It’s hard for me to trust what they are saying.
Dr Shavell is very nice but I feel that i am treated as a number. I only see or hear from her when I specifically request an appointment and I find myself having to remind her of things that she should already know.
Ask a lot of questions and stand up for yourself
I have to re explain my situation every time I am at the fertility center. There is no consistent treatment.
12 rounds of Femara, 4 iui. Got pregnant on the 2nd iui but miscarried. Taking a break of the next round doesn’t work and then switching to injectables when we save up money.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths are that it’s clean, the staff are nice and wait times are minimal. Weakness is that they treat you like a number and try to push IVF when it’s not necessary yet. You have to advocate for and guide your own treatment.
were about 7000 in for iui, ultra sounds and medications

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Limited amount of time was spent face to face. If we wanted to schedule a consult there was an extra fee. Majority of communication was with nurses. Only saw Dodds briefly on the day of retrieval. He did not know the plan to freeze all embryos until he read my chart in the room before the retrieval....Dr. Dodds did not remember specifics to my case. Always had to refer to my chart....Birth control for 3 weeks Gonal f and menopur for stims Lupron and Hcg for trigger Fresh cycle was cancelled due to high progesterone, switched to a frozen cycle.
Location is close to our house. Clinic [The Fertility Center] is clean. Usually flexible with scheduling and will return calls promptly. Appreciate free counseling service...[Nurse] Julie is very blunt and not very warm or friendly....Limited amount of time was spent face to face. If we wanted to schedule a consult there was an extra fee. Majority of communication was with nurses. Only saw Dodds briefly on the day of retrieval...$14,000 [cost of treatment]
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask all the questions you can when you have the chance.
Birth control for 3 weeks Gonal f and menopur for stims Lupron and Hcg for trigger Fresh cycle was cancelled due to high progesterone, switched to a frozen cycle. We are waiting to hear how many eggs fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie is very blunt and not very warm or friendly.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Location is close to our house. Clinic is clean. Usually flexible with scheduling and will return calls promptly. Appreciate free counseling service.
He waffled between one and two at our first meeting. Then our nurse said he recommended two, never heard the rational behind his decision.
Kalamazoo

[Dr. Valerie Shavell is] Very soft spoken and at times hard to hear. Provided general information, but not a ton of details. When I asked questions I would get thorough answers then. She Seemed caring but rushed. I did not see the provider often... Poor HIPAA practice [at Fertility Centers of MI- Grand Rapids] and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
My coordinator [at The Fertility Center of MI- Grand Rapids] was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.... Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
Ask a lot of questions
Everything was very rushed, no details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
My coordinator was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm.
IVF was around 15,000
Grand Rapids
It didn't feel like Dr. Shavell led the conversation. I brought a lot of questions and she offered thoughts, but didn't go into detail. She'd say just one sentence and then wait. There were times where information she shared surprised me (I wasn't aware of a diagnosis) but she seemed hesitant to go into more conversation. Come prepared with questions and prepared to drive the conversation forward.
It's a nice building and set up. There are pictures of babies all over the hallways, so be prepared for that. I also noticed children in the waiting room a few times, so also be aware of that potential. ... I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI], which has been great. ... But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
Come prepared with questions and be prepared to lead the conversation forward!
She did take time to talk with us and make small talk. But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff, which has been great.
Grand Rapids

Dr Young did my embryo transfer procedure. He called and left a message with my egg retrieval results and said “we retrieved 11 eggs but only 1 fertilized. It’s mediocre with little or no chance of surviving. We can see if you still want to transfer.” So I called him back, was put on hold for a half an hour, hung up, called back 3-5 more times. He finally called me back and laughed when he answered. He said well you’re in you’re 30s right? And I said no I’m 28. He laughed and said “close enough, I guess we can transfer.” When we got to transfer day, he did not greet us, did not explain what he was going, the lab door leading in to the room was open the whole time, we waited probably 15 min for the lab to bring in the embryo. During that time I had the speculum and ultrasound going. So I was sitting there in the stirrups with a door in front of me wide open. No one spoke. No congratulations. I felt like a lab rat.
The Kalamazoo clinic [of Fertility Center of Michigan] is ok. The front desk staff and ultrasound tech I had were great. They do not send appointment reminders. They seem to have lost sight of what IVF patients are going through and what it means to need IVF...When we got to transfer day, he [Dr. Young] did not greet us, did not explain what he was going, the lab door leading in to the room was open the whole time, we waited probably 15 min for the lab to bring in the embryo. During that time I had the speculum and ultrasound going. So I was sitting there in the stirrups with a door in front of me wide open. No one spoke. No congratulations. I felt like a lab rat.
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don’t see him! Find another doctor who cares.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is ok. The front desk staff and ultrasound tech I had were great. They do not send appointment reminders. They seem to have lost sight of what IVF patients are going through and what it means to need IVF.
James Young (retired)
Grand Rapids
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office... For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses [Fertility Center of MI]. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them.
Dr. Young is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a very dry sense of humor but he always made me feel comfortable. He always explained everything pretty clearly but it never seemed like he was talking down to us. He keeps an extremely tidy office, which seems to be rare for most doctors I have visited. He has a very steady hand and that always made me feel more at ease with him.
Ask as many questions as you can think of, he will answer them all. Don't ever leave, wishing you had the courage to ask something that may seem dumb. He will take his time and explain everything to you.
Every time we met with a nurse or doctor, we had to explain everything to them. They almost never remembered that we were using donor sperm... I hated repeating that over and over. Not a single person in 2 years remembered our names.
For IUI- We did femara along with injectables to hopefully get a better number of mature eggs without the extra cost of doing all injectables. For 3 cycles that worked. On the 4th and 5th, we had absolutely no response to the meds and the IUI was cancelled. All 3 cycles produced negative results. We also used the ovidrel trigger shot 24 hours before IUI. IVF- we started with birth control the month before to hopefully "align" the follicles. We began the cycle with Gonal-F and Menopur, added lupron to prevent early ovulation. When the majority of the follicles reach 18-20mm, we used an HCG trigger. Exactly 35 hours, we had the egg retrieval. The 12 eggs were fertilized using ICSI and 7 actually fertilized. All 7 made it to day 2, two 4 cell "day two embryos" were transferred and the other 5 were frozen. Both embryos implanted but only one progressed to have a heartbeat, the other disappeared over the next 16 weeks. We gave birth to a healthy son at 38 weeks.
I really have nothing great to say about the nurses. None of them were particularly friendly. They never took the time to get to know us and never remembered us. We honestly had to explain our situation at every appointment. The ultrasound tech, Jillian, was the only one I felt comfortable with. Almost always when calling I had to leave a message and they would usually wait until the end of the day to return my call. They often returned it after they shut their phones off (at 3:30pm!) and if I didn't catch their call I would have to wait until the following day to speak with them. It was extremely frustrating, especially when we are dealing with a time sensitive issue.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You have to strongly advocate for yourself. You will get lost in the mountain of patients otherwise. If you feel like the treatment they have you on isn't working, speak up. They let us keep going until we said "stop". We were 8 IUIs in when we finally realized this.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI procedure was about $400 Full ivf was about $12,000
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They explained it to us but really left the choice up to us. They allowed us to transfer 2
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The nurse setting up my hsg did not tell me, until the morning of the procedure, that I needed an antibiotic. I had to rush around and get it. After my hsg the nurse told me that I had a "shaggy lining" I asked if it was an issue, if we should put off our IUI that was scheduled for that week... She said she would check with the Dr. (Shavell at the time) but it shouldn't be an issue. We never received a call to tell us wether or not to go ahead with the IUI so we came to our appointment anyway. I asked if Dr. Shavell had reviewed the results of my hsg and the nurse didn't give a clear response but basically said "yes, it's fine. It's just a little shaggy". 2 days after our IUI we got a phone call from a nurse telling us that Dr. Shavell was concerned with what she saw and was ordering a 3D ultrasound to get a better look. I ended up having multiple polyps and a fibroid. We wasted a bunch of money for absolutely no good reason... All because no one actually looked at the results of my hsg.
James Young (retired)