3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
555 MidTowne
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Shavell is very good about clearly communicating all the variables that play into IVF, and remembering the specifics of my situation. She has supported me and my partner with knowledge to help us make the most informed decisions at each step of the way. I appreciate her bedside manner. The only drawback is that she has a very busy schedule and sometimes it can be difficult to get time with her - but when you do get time together she is very attentive and a good listener.
The [Fertility Center of Michigan] clinic has wonderful doctors and nurses who are knowledgeable, professional, and caring. They communicate plans clearly and have helped us navigate every step of this process. Our biggest challenge has been communication on the scheduling and billing side of things - communication should be more clear and efficient from the scheduling and billing departments.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Come prepared with your own questions and research - Dr. Shavell will help guide you along the way. Work to get on her schedule early as Dr. Shavell and her entire clinic are very busy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is a very kind doctor and person, with a very good bedside manner. However, she is also incredibly busy and the majority of interactions are with her nurses or staff.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Karyotype Testing Hysteroscopy Endosee 3 IUI cycles with Femara and Ovidrel Trigger Receptive DX Test (diagnosed Silent Endo) Egg Retrieval with PGT Testing FET #1 - with Orilissa, Lupron, PIO in lead up (dealing with Silent Endo and a specific blood clotting condition)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The nurses at The Fertility Center are a very kind and caring bunch. Because the clinic is so busy they can occasionally be difficult to reach over the phone. I've also had to stay very engaged in my own care and conversation with the doctors to ensure details are being followed correctly and as expected.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has wonderful doctors and nurses who are knowledgeable, professional, and caring. They communicate plans clearly and have helped us navigate every step of this process. Our biggest challenge has been communication on the scheduling and billing side of things - communication should be more clear and efficient from the scheduling and billing departments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our situation is unique in that we've chosen to do a fair amount of elective diagnostic testing. Over one year of working with the clinic our total costs for all testing, procedures, medications, cycle management and storage fees have totaled $33K.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodds always addresses me by my first name throughout our conversations and looks me in the eyes whenever he is speaking to me. This makes me feel as though he is engaged in the conversation and not just going through the motions. He consistently explains everything fully and answers my questions until I am satisfied with the responses. He is always sympathetic when I return for treatment, and he genuinely seems to want me to have a successful pregnancy. I really feel as if he has a vested interest in me as a person and a future parent.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner...Each IUI was ~$250...A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if yo
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very caring and experienced. He founded the clinic, and I believe he has been a reproductive endocrinologist for approximately 30 years. In addition, he specializes in PCOS, my fertility issue. Therefore, I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to maximize my potential to be a parent. The only negative comment I have about Dr. Dodds is that I think is so knowledgeable that he sometimes forgets that I (as a patient) am not. He is always happy to clarify any confusion, but the first time he explains something, it is not always clear (e.g., certain details are missing or he mentions a term we had not previously discussed).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Dr. Dodds wants to ensure all his patients have a clear understanding of their treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I did 4 IUI cycles. 3 were with Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Estrace (vaginally) because of a thin uterine lining on ultrasound. Estrace was taken before and after IUI. For one of the cycles, I did a stepwise Femara cycle, as the first 5 days did not produce mature follicles. This resulted in the production of mature follicles after the stepwise administration. For the 4th IUI, I took Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Gonal-F (75 IU) injections prior to IUI. For all IUIs, I did an Ovidrel injection 48 hours prior to the IUI.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a long history and many patients, so I feel that overall, this facility has the collective experience and knowledge that makes me confident in obtaining a positive treatment outcome. However, there are aspects of this center that are quite unorganized. A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if you have a full-time job, you should be prepared to miss work, as all treatments are done during the business day (8:30AM-3:30PM only). Finally, the billing department is incredibly disorganized, so you should be prepared to essentially keep meticulous track of your own financial accounting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI was ~$250.
Grand Rapids

I've only ever seen Dr. Shavell twice in two years, during consults. She's very sweet, but she has nurses perform IUI procedures (and not very well), a different doctor performed my HSG and any time I place a call or send a message to her directly it's always a nurse that responds...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
All [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain...Terrible business hours for anyone that works a regular job and is expected to drive back and forth multiple times a month in the middle of the day for ultrasounds. The staff there also seems to forget everything is being paid out of pocket by most of us and every time we come we're charged hundreds of dollars, and are disapproving when trying to minimize appointments. The front registration staff are phenomenal.
Dr. Shavell is very nice and soft spoken, easy to talk to. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
You're just one of many. She is kind and knowledgeable but don't plan for her to actually be involved in your care unless you're doing IVF.
HSG that came back normal, 3 rounds of clomid, 4 rounds of Femara in attempt to see if any of these things would produce more follicles to increase chances of pregnancy. I was already ovulating on my own and ended up with multiple follicles twice. Also went on estrogen and progesterone to thicken lining when Femara thinned it. No success from any treatments.
All are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Expensive, my insurance doesn't cover most of it. Ultrasounds are frequent and usually cost $175-250 depending on limited or complete (although even when charging for complete ultrasound the cervix isn't evaluated and a VERY fast sweep of the uterus is performed that's not very diagnostic). IUIs were around 700 each time, the HSG was probably closer to 1000 but I can't remember the exact numbers for sure. Consults are over 100, and then another 50 every time I talk to a nurse in the clinic after ultrasounds.
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Not to that point yet
Grand Rapids

Dr. Shavell is so empathetic she almost comes off as meek in the consult room, which might be good for some people, but I prefer a doctor to be blunt and tell me like it is. She did perform surgery when I had an ectopic pregnancy and she's much more to the point in the operating room so I was happy with that and she did a great job...The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I fi
you're always seeing someone different [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] so there's bound to be conflicting information...We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc... think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would suggest going into an appointment prepared with lots of questions to ask. I've done a lot of my own research and make lists of things I want to ask her about.
Dr. Shavell is empathetic and really spends the time to help my husband and I by explaining everything and letting us ask a ton of questions.
I've done 4 IUI's under Dr. Shavell's primary care. At the Fertility Center you basically see whichever doctor or nurse is available during your procedures though so a lot of these protocols were assigned by other providers. Each IUI cycle started with Clomid cycle days 3-5, midcycle ultrasound ~day 10-12, IUI ~day 13-15. The first two were negative. The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I finally had surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube. After methotrexate you have to wait 3 months to conceive so we did a 4th and final IUI that was negative. At that point we jumped into IVF and prepping for egg retrieval. I can't remember the protocol, but it involved Menopur and Ganirelix, etc. The ER was very successful with 18 eggs retrieved, 17 mature and fertilized, 14 made it to day 3. We did a 3 day fresh transfer with 2 embryos and froze the remaining 12. The result was negative. We waited a month or so and then began to prep for frozen embryo transfer. It was a long lupron protocol. We transferred 2 embryos, which resulted in miscarriage at ~5.5 weeks. We waited another month and began the same long lupron protocol again. We decided to thaw all frozen 10 embryos to grow them out to blastocyst with the goal of weeding out some that may be weaker. They all survived thaw and made it to blast. We transferred 2 and refroze the remaining 8. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. We were getting ready to do some additional testing (hysteroscopy to check for fibroids, etc. and chromosome mapping) before moving forward with the next cycle, but everything is now on hold due to Covid-19. We will also do an ERA cycle prior to the next FET.
They are wonderful and compassionate in their communication.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would estimate that each IUI costs around $1500 including drugs, ultrasounds, and procedure. They don't bill insurance for the male portion, but they've billed my insurance for everything else and majority of it has been covered by Blue Care Network. We've paid 100% out of pocket for IVF as our insurance does not cover. We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc.
Dr. Shavell has had no problem transferring two embryos each time, but has made sure to ask that we are ok with the higher chance of having multiples.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Like I stated before in the weaknesses, you're always seeing someone different so there's bound to be conflicting information. I always take the information given and then if I feel like I need a second opinion I'll call and speak with a different nurse/doctor over the phone to get their opinion/confirm what I was told/was recommended to me. I had one IUI cycle cancelled due to intolerance of drugs prescribed. I took the Clomid as instructed and the doctor also put me on Estradiol to help give my lining a boost. Apparently Estradiol can basically cancel out the clomid in some women so my follicles stopped progressing that cycle. After four rounds of clomid, I've now been told that clomid can actually cause a thin lining, which was my issue, so they switched to Femera for the last two cycles and that really helped thicken my lining.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Every interaction with Dr Giuliani has been good. She is so kind, takes the time to answer all my questions and doesn’t make me feel rushed, and overall has a positive attitude...She did a full evaluation of me and my partner. We got 2 diagnoses of septum uterus and mild male factor. I had surgical intervention, my husband was sent to a specialist (urologist). We then came up with a plan of a medicated cycle (letrozol, mid cycle ultrasound, and trigger shot). The first cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We naturally conceived right after that miscarriage
Not great experiences with the staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] whom I communicate with on the phone and online (not sure if it’s nurses or techs). They never answer the phone, you have to wait for them to call you back and if you don’t answer then you are out of luck to communicate with them that day. I’ve had multiple people call me with the same results. I’ve had a ultrasound technician walk in and not know the ultrasound to to confirm or deny a blighted ovum when it’s clearly in my chart. I’ve had nurses tell me different things about my HCG numbers vs my doctor...
How was your experience with Emma Giuliani at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She is always, kind, compassionate, takes her time with me, values what I have to say, and she never makes me feel stupid. (In comparison to her male counterparts at the office, it’s night and day difference).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emma Giuliani at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don’t be afraid to ask many questions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emma Giuliani at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Every interaction with Dr Giuliani has been good. She is so kind, takes the time to answer all my questions and doesn’t make me feel rushed, and overall has a positive attitude. I love her!
Describe the protocols Emma Giuliani used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
She did a full evaluation of me and my partner. We got 2 diagnoses of septum uterus and mild male factor. I had surgical intervention, my husband was sent to a specialist (urologist). We then came up with a plan of a medicated cycle (letrozol, mid cycle ultrasound, and trigger shot). The first cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We naturally conceived right after that miscarriage, she put me on progesterone, but that ended in a blighted ovum diagnosed at our first 6w ultrasound. After D&C and genetic testing that baby was found to have a genetic anomaly. We were advised to wait at least one cycle before we try again. We did a recurrent miscarriage blood panel, every thing was fine. She added baby aspirin to my daily vitamins. We did 3 more medicated cycles with the same dosage of letrozol for me because my body always responded well. This last cycle we conceived! We are 5 weeks today so hoping for our rainbow baby. We had met with Giuliani a few weeks ago to come up with a plan if this didn’t work, we had a plan in place to move onto IUI.
Not great experiences with the staff whom I communicate with on the phone and online (not sure if it’s nurses or techs). They never answer the phone, you have to wait for them to call you back and if you don’t answer then you are out of luck to communicate with them that day. I’ve had multiple people call me with the same results. I’ve had a ultrasound technician walk in and not know the ultrasound to to confirm or deny a blighted ovum when it’s clearly in my chart. I’ve had nurses tell me different things about my HCG numbers vs my doctor.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths- now an all woman doctor team who are all amazing. Weakness- office team are not good communicators. Be your own advocate, ask all your questions, if you don’t think what the nurse is saying is correct ask them to clarify with the Doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emma Giuliani at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Oh who knows! In 2021 we met our deductible bc of costs associated with going there but luckily our insurance covered a good amount.
Describe Emma Giuliani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a paper for work get lost when I dropped it off at the front counter. I’ve had nurses say different things about the same HCG number than my drsaid
Emma Giuliani

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Giuliani was very personable and took a thorough history from me. We have met 3 times via virtual appointments and she even called me personally after I had sent a patient portal message. [She] sent my husband to get checked out which led to us learning he had a pituitary tumor, no one else had even thought of this. Dr. Giuliani has been honest about next steps in treatment...She was also very honest that we may need to consider IVF and provided some information on that as well, since we have some male factor issues as well as PCOS.
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is definitely a clinic that you have to keep track of your care somewhat. Meaning you should follow up with the nurses/scheduling/billing if you haven’t heard from then when you were supposed to. You do have to do some of your own benefits investigating because the billing doesn’t look into it thoroughly...There are a lot of nurses in the office and some are great and effectively communicating and others do not have much compassion. So far the nurses have all responded in a reasonable timeframe when I have called or sent patient portal messages.
How was your experience with Emma Giuliani at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Giuliani was very personable and took a thorough history from me. We have met 3 times via virtual appointments and she even called me personally after I had sent a patient portal message. Dr. Giuliani sent my husband to get checked out which led to us learning he had a pituitary tumor, no one else had even thought of this. Dr. Giuliani has been honest about next steps in treatment.
Take notes during the appointment and don’t be afraid to ask any questions.
I felt like a human because Dr. Giuliani was personable and engaged in conversation other than just what we were meeting about such as asking about my work.
Dr. Giuliani suggested we start with timed intercourse cycles with the option to add IUI at any time. We opted to do several timed intercourse cycles first. Dr. Giuliani suggest we try clomid as I had done several cycles with femara previously. She also suggested a mid cycle ultrasound and trigger shot with the timed cycle which I hadn’t done previously. When we were ready to add IUI Dr. Giuliani met with us to discuss that in further detail and answer any questions we had. She was also very honest that we may need to consider IVF and provided some information on that as well, since we have some male factor issues as well as PCOS.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This is definitely a clinic that you have to keep track of your care somewhat. Meaning you should follow up with the nurses/scheduling/billing if you haven’t heard from then when you were supposed to. You do have to do some of your own benefits investigating because the billing doesn’t look into it thoroughly. For example they only looked up my benefits online and would not call to see if something was covered when I said it should be, I had to call on my own.
My ultrasounds and office visits were billed to insurance, although I was not aware of the cost associated with speaking with the nurse after some of my ultrasounds so that was an extra cost. My portion of my first IUI was billed to insurance as I had asked, we did pay out of pocket for the semen was which was $375. Total cash price for each IUI is currently $800, up from $650 last year.
We have not reached this step in treatment.
Emma Giuliani

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Young is very professional he has good knowledge of endometriosis and the paths to take to pregnancy...He is dry and witty and has a way of making you feel comfortable...we started with famera and were going to move on to IUI. When an endometrioma was discovered before my first IUI cycle, we pivoted to egg retrieval...
the nurses [of Fertility Center of Michigan] are all very friendly. They know my name and always are able to answer my questions/get back to me in a timely manor...doctors are very compassionate, everyone is willing to answer questions and the doctors have a warm sense of humor...but sometimes you have to ask for things or remind them of situations...[cost]17k plus meds so far
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young is very professional he has good knowledge of endometriosis and the paths to take to pregnancy. I am confidant I will get where I want to be with him as my doctor. He is dry and witty and has a way of making you feel comfortable
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
ask lots of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
the nurses and doctors are very compassionate, everyone is willing to answer questions and the doctors have a warm sense of humor
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
we started with famera and were going to move on to IUI. When an endometrioma was discovered before my first IUI cycle, we pivoted to egg retrieval. This proved difficult, as I needed higher and higher doses to get my follicles to develop. My first cycle i had 5 follicles, got one egg and one embryo. Thankfully, TFC has a multi egg retrieval program where for only 3 thousand dollars more than one cycle and transfer you can do 3 revivals, bank your eggs and do a transfer after your third retrieval. Eventually we got 6 embryos and froze them all. I then had endo surgery and had a transfer that failed. We tried for another transfer but canceled it due to a hormone producing ovarian cyst. We treated that with birth control, and while waiting we decided to do the recurrent pregnancy loss workup where we found polyps in my uterus. I had surgery scheduled to remove the polyps but that was canceled due to Corona virus.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: it was a team)
the nurses are all very friendly. They know my name and always are able to answer my questions/get back to me in a timely manor
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
they're smart, but sometimes you have to ask for things or remind them of situations. I asked for the recurrent miscarriage workup, eset, etc. Or remind them I have endo so thats why I think this way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
17k plus meds so far
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I asked to do one in our next transfer, he had no problem with it, but it was not offered
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a nurse prescribe a certain amount of injections, but didn't call in the correct size vial
Grand Rapids
We met [Dr. Mili Thakur] at our initial consultation, but since then I've only dealt with the nurses. I was surprised that she was not the one who performed my IUI's...I feel like my expectations were set high. When my husband and I went in for our initial consult we felt a little rushed and had questions that we were unable to get answered. Although she did explain in detail the recommended treatment...I realize the doctor's are busy but I wish I could see them more often.
The nursing staff at [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is phenomenal! The nursing staff are the ones who communicate with me on the phone and through the patient portal. They are also the ones I saw after my ultrasound to discuss plan of care and for my IUI's...This clinic has a good reputation and success rate. The nurses are phenomenal! I've only seen Dr. Thakur and Dr. Young once...I realize the doctor's are busy but I wish I could see them more often.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We met Dr. Thakur at our initial consultation, but since then I've only dealt with the nurses. I was surprised that she was not the one who performed my IUI's. The one time I met her I thought she was nice, but I felt rushed and did not have an opportunity to have all my questions answered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't let her rush you and stay until all of your questions get answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Mili Thakur used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Our diagnosis is male factor infertility. Dr. Thakur did one medicated cycle that was unsuccessful. Next I had an IUI that resulted in pregnancy, but the pregnancy was not viable so I miscarried. I did a second IUI that was unsuccessful. My third IUI was scheduled, but had to be cancelled due to illness.
The nursing staff at TFC is phenomenal! The nursing staff are the ones who communicate with me on the phone and through the patient portal. They are also the ones I saw after my ultrasound to discuss plan of care and for my IUI's.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic has a good reputation and success rate. The nurses are phenomenal! I've only seen Dr. Thakur and Dr. Young once. Dr. Thakur at my consultation and Dr. Young when I was having complications from my miscarriage. I realize the doctor's are busy but I wish I could see them more often.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI cost $600 out of pocket. My insurance does not cover anything dealing with infertility.
Describe Mili Thakur's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I don't have any experience with this yet.
Mili Thakur
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodds wants to try two cycles of hybrid medications with IUI to increase my chances of conceiving. I will be using Femara 5.0, and Gonal F at 450iu at 75iu per injection for a few days days, and a trigger shot of Ovidrel at 250 mcg/.5 ml He also gave me the success rates for all of the options that he gave me (such as, I could try Laproscopic surgery to check for endo but it would only increase my chances of conceiving by about 20%, or I could do the hybrid and IUI which on average 60% conceive within 3 cycles, or IVF which is a 60% change on the first try no matter if I have endo or anything else, with the added bonus of having egg retrieval and FET at the age of 32 instead of later in life, especially with my low ovarian reserve.
it is a nice sized clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo] but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds was very well spoken and personable, he told me the findings of my blood work and what was normal or abnormal and what he thought we needed to work on. He have me several different options as to what my next steps should be, but also rated them as what he would "suggest if I were his own child" . He made it very clear that he wanted to get me to what my husband and my goal of having a child in the most cost effective and healthy way possible.
He is very open and will explain anything that you want/need.
Dr. Dodds took the time to look at my information and decide what he thought was the best for me, he was caring but also to the point. He seemed sincere and concerned for my best interest in all aspects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Everyone was very sensitive and supportive, every time I go into the clinic I feel at ease and supported, everyone is very sensitive to the situation and you feel like they are all rooting for you to win
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
it is a nice sized clinic, but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
with no insurance coverage, my consultation was around $240, ultrasound runs around $275, medication costs Femara $6, Ovidrel $100 Gonal-F $450, Initial consultation was $375, Blood work all together was around $600
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established....we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me
All of the nursing staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!... I believe the clinic overall is a solid one. I believe they have very fair prices, but I do wish they would look into Invocell IVF. This would give people like myself a chance at IVF due to the lower cost.... Each round of IUI ended up being around $800. IVF is expected to cost around $10,000 plus meds, anesthesia, etc.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Strengths-I do believe he truly wants to help his patients achieve the end goal of bringing home a baby Weakness-I believe he is a very busy man and I didn't feel as supported by him as I would have liked. I think he focuses the majority of his support on IVF patients
Speak up about your wants and if something doesn't sound right or applicable to your case
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established. We did 2 rounds of IUI, with the second ending in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic. We then took a break. Fast forward to 2019, we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me or were untrue.
We did 2 rounds of IUI with femara and Ovidrel. The rationale was that due to my husband's lower sperm count and motility, having more eggs and putting the sperm closer to them would increase the chance of pregnancy. I had one negative cycle and one pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic
All of the nursing staff has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!
N/A we did not do IVF

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Shavell] went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated. ... After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. ... She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We had to cancel an egg retrieval which was so disheartening after finishing half of our shots/medications. She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
Be open minded through the process as things change often. Be more prepared to talk to all of the staff and nurses and ask many questions. You truly don't talk to the Dr often.
She went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated.
We decided to do a full IVF cycle. My body decided to produce one very large egg (many other small eggs that just would not be able to catch up) which resulted in having to postpone our IVF. After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. Nothing like watching your dreams being crushed 6 different times. Still we remain positive and continue on. We are definitely praying for a healthy miracle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
I cannot say enough good things about Libby. She answers every question I have with such care and compassion. I have seen a few nurses, but she just seems to stand out with her personal care.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We have personally spent over $25,000 and counting for fertility treatments. It is extremely overwhelming financially when you're constantly getting a bill for treatment plans and services. It hits harder after a failed attempt where you have to pay for more injections or medications. IVF and fertility are extremely expensive at this center. It is our closest option for being able to make appointments on a regular routine basis.
We thought it best to do a multiple embryo transfer after much discussion with our Dr. This next month feels like a standstill for time.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s was personable and answered any questions you had, but you only saw him once. The rest of the time you deal with the nurses...I was concerned about being able to get pregnant due to losing a Fallopian tube a year and a half prior to this appointment along with having PCOS. He was very thorough and kind about everything...We decided to try doing the IUI first because I still have a good Fallopian tube.
You have to go go between the 2 locations(Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) because they cannot she the insemination procedures in Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is amazing and very friendly and helpful. Grand Rapids staff not as friendly...[nurses] are amazing. They call you back that day to answer any questions, make sure you fully understand and don’t rush you. Very caring people.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The first time I saw him was at the initial consult. He was very friendly and answered my questions, and went over my health history. I was concerned about being able to get pregnant due to losing a Fallopian tube a year and a half prior to this appointment along with having PCOS. He was very thorough and kind about everything.
Ask as many questions as possible, even write down questions before going in. You only see the Dr. once.
The first thing is Dr. Dodd’s gave me a list of speed donors to chose from. We decided to try doing the IUI first because I still have a good Fallopian tube. The first time we did the Clomid and Ovidril. A couple of ultrasounds and then the IUI. This did not work. The second time they changed the meds to Letrozole and Ovidril, a few ultrasounds and then the IUI. This attempt failed also. The third time they did the Letrozole, Gonal-f injections, Ovidril and progesterone, about 4 Ultrasounds and then the IUI. This attempt failed as well. They were hoping I would produce more eggs and I still only got about 2-3 each time.
They are amazing. They call you back that day to answer any questions, make sure you fully understand and don’t rush you. Very caring people.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You only see the Dr. once. You have to go go between the 2 locations(Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) because they cannot she the insemination procedures in Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo staff is amazing and very friendly and helpful. Grand Rapids staff not as friendly.
Around $6000 for all 3 attempts including meds, ultrasounds, insemination and donor sorry.
Kalamazoo
We had our egg retrieval [with Dr. Dodds] and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried...Was very knowledgeable and seemed honest with us every time we spoke. He seemed to really want to help us with our family and offered different suggestions we could take. He left a lot up to us on how quickly we wanted to move forward and supported any decisions we made for our treatments.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey...[nurses were] Very helpful with any situation. Always returned my calls when I had any questions I had regarding our procedure to make sure I was still following our plan and things were progressing normally...The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] it was much harder to receive help...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
They seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey.
We started with 3 rounds of femara resulted all negative pregnancy tests, had an HSG done results were normal. I started IVF procedures with injections in the morning and also in the evening. I don't remember every injection but was closely monitored by blood work and ultrasounds every other day. Once we got the okay I had a trigger shot and another injection. We had our egg retrieval and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great at providing a way to get pregnant. Offers many more options and insight that regular ob's are not able to do. The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure it was much harder to receive help. There were other circumstances and factors that occurred during this time which made it more difficult. In hindsight I would have found a better OB sooner to help with the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I was given a few options based on availability and I picked what I was able to do between my work schedule and office hours.
With our original insurance we had all of our procedures covered outside of a minor copay for each appointment. With our new insurance they do not work with so everything is now out of pocket even though our current insurance offers fertility treatments the same as our previous insurance it's just now out of network.
Kalamazoo
I think Dr. Shavell is knowledgable and realistic with fertility expectations and outcomes. She spent a significant amount of time with us at our initial consultation but did not actually perform any of my procedures herself. She was an overseer of my case...She was not warm or fuzzy, but she did call to check up on me after our negative result to discuss further diagnostics and treatment options...In my age bracket, they recommended 2-3 embryos at a transfer. I understand the risks with that and opted to proceed with the multiple embryo transfer.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is clean, professional, and easy to get to...In my age bracket, they recommended 2-3 embryos at a transfer. I understand the risks with that and opted to proceed with the multiple embryo transfer...The IVF procedures are expensive and they require payment for a deposit and then payment in full before the cycle...The Nurses were efficient, professional, knowledgeable, and available at any time to communicate and answer questions. They were fantastic.
I think Dr. Shavell is knowledgable and realistic with fertility expectations and outcomes. She spent a significant amount of time with us at our initial consultation but did not actually perform any of my procedures herself. She was an overseer of my case. She did communicate well with me when she called on the phone and she did call to check up on me after our negative result.
Be prepared to communicate more with the Nurses and make sure you are given both your red and your green folders. Read everything they provide.
Doctor Shavell is very knowledgable and was candid about our chances and our options. She was not warm or fuzzy, but she did call to check up on me after our negative result to discuss further diagnostics and treatment options.
We did an egg retrieval with a long cycle. We did injectable hormones. We retrieved 13 eggs, 5 fertilized, 2 survived to freeze. We had to do a freeze-all cycle because I needed a polypectomy the following cycle. The cycle after the surgery, we did a frozen transfer with both embryos. They did not take.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is clean, professional, and easy to get to. I dislike that they are the only option on this side of the state so I was nervous about using them when I moved here because I really had no other choice. But I think they do a nice job and would recommend them.
The IVF procedures are expensive and they require payment for a deposit and then payment in full before the cycle. I was unprepared for this as my clinic in NJ billed me as we went along. This delayed us getting started since all the money was required up front.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.... Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
The office team [The Fertility Center of Michigan] up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed....Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.... My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent....There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity.... I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was overstimulated even on a low dose. This caused my estrogen levels to skyrocket. They chose to move me over to a freeze-all cycle. In some regard, a freeze-all actually worked out better for me though because I felt recovered before allowing the transfer.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.... I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course.
Strengths [Fertility Center of MI]: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.... Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana.
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.
Grand Rapids

I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery.... I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
It's a great clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI], but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.... Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. T
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a blood test done that I never got the results for. I finally had to ask about it a month later.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions.... After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F.
My number one strength [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms.... They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone.
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions. There were times where I felt she was more focused on me thinking she cared than her actually trying to fix any issues. I also feel she is not very available when needed.
Ask her to give it to you straight. Also, request a full description of treatments with all the why's explained.
I don't think, in the beginning, the treatment was custom to my issues. I think they take standard protocol and go through the motions. I had to start fighting for what I wanted. They also are not exactly forthcoming on information. I had to ask a lot of questions I learned through podcasts and others who have gone through it all before.
After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F. I can't remember the specific dose of letrozole but the injections were 300. I did not respond as well to the letrozole as we had hoped. I am currently going to do one timed cylce of 100 mg of clomid (back to clomid after under-performance of letrozole) while we wait for insurance pre-authorization. If that is approved (different insurance company than the last round) I will have one last IUI cycle of 100 mg Clomid and Gonal-F 450 injections. IF this does not work, we will immediately be moving on to IVF.
They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone. I also felt like the communication between the team wasn't all that great, where one would tell me one thing about my treatment but the next person I talk with didn't have that same information. That was a little frustrating. I also had to make sure I had all my questions ready to ask, otherwise I wasn't informed of any "extra" information. Honestly, I love the staff, I just worry a little about their efficiency/organization.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My number one strength is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms. Also, when my husband goes to drop off his specimen, I wish it was a little quicker for him. He has a very time structured job and gets frustrated that he has to sit there for 15 minutes before the lab calls him back. I think that should be explained better, the whole home to lab process. I would tell a new patient to ask all the questions, nothing is too much when it comes to treatment. Do not expect them to go over every detail with you. If you Type A like me, you'll leave frustrated and feeling like nothing was accomplished.
Each IUI is $500 (sperm wash and procedure) plus the ultrasound and office visit. Each visit was a co-pay amount. Hybrid cycle had an extra ultrasound (echogram) which was more than the ultrasound. Medications were all based on what insurance would cover; most of it out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I just had conflicting dosage information a couple times. Seemed like I had to inform the nurse as opposed to her knowing it when she called me.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Dodds] seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing.... Had decent beside manner, and didn't seem to rush us out the door. Took time to explain everything we were going to do... The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with... Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing. He is the second doctor that I've seen for infertility, and I would definitely say that he was the better of the two. He explained everything that we were going to be doing. The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots. Everything was well planned out. Overall I would say that he's a great doctor.
I would say that he is not going to lie to you so don't go in there expecting to hear exactly what you want to hear,because he's going to tell you the truth
The doctor I saw before William. Put me on Clomid for four Cycles. So when he saw that he decided that he would put me on Fermara. And I took that for one cycle I believe it was days 3 through 7. I came in to have an ultrasound done and my follicles measured and I can't remember what day that was. The day after I had my ultrasound I was instructed to use a trigger shot to force ovulation and I was instructed to have intercourse once every 24 hours for the next three days. No pregnancy resulted from this round of femara, so I went to Grand Rapids to have dye injected into my uterus and x-rays done to see if my tubes are blocked which they were not. I had some blood work done but I can't remember what that was for. Our next step is going to be IUI next month.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There really isn't anything else I would say about the clinic that I have not said about the doctors and nurses. Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments. The only thing I wish that this Clinic offered was invocell. I've heard that it is a new like IVF treatment but it is substantially cheaper
They submit everything through my insurance even though my insurance doesn't cover infertility. So I have yet to receive the bill
We have not discussed this yet
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The day after my initial appointment for some reason the thyroid medication the doctor wanted me to be put on had not been called in to the pharmacy. The femara and the trigger shot had been called in though
Kalamazoo
The way the clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ...Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run.
The way the clinic runs [Fertility Center of Michigan], I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ... I was able to start treatment the day of my consultation. The staff is caring and kind and mostly runs on time. They do not batch patients and office runs 7 days a week. It would be nice if there were more morning appointment times for ultrasounds, they also need a program for those paying out of pocket. Only have assured program which many don’t qualify for.
Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run. I always hear from the nurses who are wonderful but don’t always receive the details I want.
He will do everything he can to customize the protocols to your needs and to meet your requests. While he isn’t the warm and fuzzy type, he’s professional, intelligent, and experienced. I would suggest to anyone to bring a list of questions to a consult and i my experience he was happy to explain discuss all my questions and concerns.
The way the clinic runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. The IVF nurses are my main contact. I would feel more supported If I had more contact with Dr. Young and received more follow up.
I did 2 rounds of clomid and 4 with femara doing timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUI’s with femara (none with injectables d/t lack of insurance coverage. Currently undergoing micro flare IVF. Microdose lupron with gonal -f. I have DOR.
The staff is wonderful, usually runs on time, good communicators and are very caring. They do their best to have my primary nurse see me and call.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI -$500 without meds IVF &gt;$10,000 not including ultrasound, blood draws, HSG, Mock embryo transfer, and meds meds are usually $3,000-$6,000 each US about $250 each E2 $115 each progesterone draw $115.
I haven’t transferred yet, but the office provides information with studies on the topic and Dr. Young discussed it at length in the consultation as well as the IVF nurse in the prep prior to starting IVF.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. Young] poorly described the steps of our treatment. I...After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps...We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally... I was actually more confused leaving the office... They don't always listen to you...
Weaknesses. 1. They [The Fertility Center] don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you....
He poorly described the steps of our treatment. I knew more from friends who had been in our shoes than I did from our one visit with him. After our miscarriage - I wasn't contacted to talk about next steps.
Treat me like a person dealing with infertility, not someone who is paying you and try to get me out of the office as fast as possible.
We sat down with Dr. Young and he quickly went through what we would do for treatment by scribbling upside down on a sheet of paper. He didn't talk about success rates or what might be causing us to not conceive naturally. I had a couple friends who had been through what we were about to embark on. I knew more about the process from them than I learned from Dr. Young. I was actually more confused leaving the office. Luckily the nurses and schedulers were very helpful when scheduling appointments and telling me what I needed to do next. Additionally, we did an IUI which was successful, but then miscarried. We had to see a different doctor the day we found out we were having a miscarriage. Since then I haven't heard anything from Dr. Young (or the doctor we saw when we learned we were having a miscarriage) about our next steps. I feel like they only care about the money we pay for services, aside from that, they have no vested interest in their patients.
Some of the staff have been ok to work with. They answer questions and can read lab results. However, the day I called to get the results of my bloodwork - after coming in and finding out we may be having a miscarriage the nurse read me my HCG levels and told me everything looked great. Luckily, I knew where my levels should be if I were pregnant. I had to tell the nurse that my levels should be about 100x what they were. I told her this was a new round of HCG testing and that I originally had my levels done two weeks prior. She told me she thought this was my second reading, which I had to tell her it wasn't. She then asked me why I was having my hcg tested again - in which i had to TELL HER, while trying to hold it together, that I had come in for my 6 week appointment that morning and they couldn't find a heartbeat. She was frazzled and told me she understood and in that case I was indeed having a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strength is that they will try to get you in as soon as possible and have early morning appointments for those who work full-time. Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful! You don't really have any other options in the Grand Rapids area, unless you want to drive to Lansing, but the amount of appointments required makes that hard to do if you live in Greater GR.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Weaknesses. 1. They don't read your charts before calling you, and mistakenly told me everything was good when I was in fact having a miscarriage, I had to explain to the nurse why I was having a blood draw after coming in for my 6 week appointment and them not being able to find a heartbeat and tell her my HCG levels were dropping not increasing meaning I was going to miscarry. 2. They don't always listen to you. I was certain I would ovulate on a Friday or Saturday and thought doing an IUI the following Monday would be too late, the nurse acted like I was crazy to think I would ovulate that soon and told me to take my injection Saturday PM. I again told her I was sure I would ovulate sooner, again she told me it was highly unlikely and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, but told me to do OPK's so I would know. Sure enough I got a positive OPK the following day of my appoitment, a Friday morning. And got scheduled for an IUI that Saturday. If I hadn't known my body and been adament I may have wasted a ton of money on an IUI 2 days later than I needed it. My IUI I was able to get that Saturday morning was Successful!

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. Sometimes I feel he is spread thin but when you are meeting with him he is full of honest feedback, compassion, and makes you feel at ease about whatever choices you make... Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it.
During our first IUI [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] we had my husband's sperm checked. We did 2 more IUI's not knowing that his morphology and counts were low. We figured they didn't say anything, so it must be fine...We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Write down questions and don't be afraid to ask for more details if you want more. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions in between visits, or for clarification.
The Kalamazoo office is small and personal. They write your name on the screen when you have ultrasounds. You see the same nurse each time (pending emergency exceptions). The GR office enters you as a number, and you see new nurses and each time (not entirely bad, but just the way it was).
When we first started seeing Dr. Dodds, we had no idea why we weren't conceiving. It had been 4-5 years of unprotected and later timed sex. At my normal OB/GYN we checked my fallopian tubes with dye for any blockages, and my husband had his sperm specimen looked at. All looked good, so he referred us to Dr. Dodds. We started out with getting blood tests to look for causes and mine all came back normal. I started taking oral pills, femara, and timed coitus for two cycles. Third cycle I started injectables (Follistim 75, cycle days 5-11) and created 4 follicles. We had an IUI and used vaginal progesterone. That did not work for us either. During the IUI we elected to have Husband's sperm looked at again. Nearly a month after our failed IUI I called and asked what his results were. We found out his count was low and he had a 1% morphology. I wish they would have told us that sooner. We did 2 more rounds of injectables (follistim 75, and 100) with IUI. We used Ovidrel and progesterone during those two as well. Finally after 8 months of failed pregnancy test we saw Dr. Dodds again and went over our plan. Apparently with Husband's counts and morphology we only had a 3% chance of success doing the past treatments. I wish we would have known that, we probably wouldn't have continued doing IUI's. Dr. suggested we go see a urologist and consider IVF. Husband went to urologist and found out he has varicocele veins in one testicle. We elected to have surgery to help with that and he began taking Clomid to boost his testosterone level. 3-4 months after his surgery and taking Clomid his counts and morphology were up in normal ranges. We tried naturally for 6 months. IVF #1 began with birth control pills, vitamins and giving up coffee. Our insurance covered some of the medicines for IUI but not any for IVF. My stim cycle consisted of 75 Menopur and 75 Follistim. Once my follicles got to a certain size we used Ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. We used hCG and Lupron to trigger. I had 25 eggs retrieved, 19 were mature, we chose to do ICSI to three of them and froze the rest of the eggs. All three fertilized. 1 arrested after day 1, 2 made it to day 2 and were transferred. Progesterone shot up until pregnancy test. Negative Pregnancy test. We decided to try to thaw some of our eggs and fertilize them. We had 16 frozen and they were frozen in vials of 3. A frozen transfer involves Lupron (SQ), progesterone, and estrace. We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great. :( Negative pregnancy test. That brings us to current times. Due to the shocking egg dilemma, Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it. There is no way we could afford to do it again at full price. Husband's morphology went from 1% to 6% after his surgery so we chose to do 6 months of Femara and timed coitus. 6 negative pregnancy tests. That brings us to now. We are on IVF #2 where Dr. Dodds decided to try to stimulate me less, creating less, but hopefully better quality eggs. He also encouraged that we fertilized all of them, because fertilized eggs have a better chance of surviving in the freezer than do eggs alone. We started with birth control to regulate me. Then we stimmed with 75 Menopur, 75 Follistim. I used cetrotide to prevent premature ovulation and triggered with Lupron and hCG. At egg retrieval they retrieved 11 eggs. 3 were immature, 1 had a broken zona, and 7 were mature. 7 ICSI, 4 fertilized. We are going to day 5 so will continue to get updates. Tomorrow is day 2. I obviously do not have very high quality eggs, but we hope all four of these lovely fertilized eggs make it to day 5 blastocysts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie Sokolow)
Before IVF, during my first five cycles of pills, timed coitus, injectables, and IUI's I had two nurses that handled my care. They were both attentive and had different personalities. One was warmer than the other. When I began IVF I was assigned an IVF nurse practitioner, Julie S. She is great. At first she comes off as unemotional or cold, but she is really just focused on your care. By the end she is all hugs and honesty. She never makes you feel stupid if you forget a direction and have to call her back. You will have her direct phone number and she is great at calling you back. She will make sure to contact you and get you directions, and never minds returning phone calls. The only downside is having to go to GR on days that Kalamazoo is not open.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are multiple locations. A weakness is that sometimes I feel like I can get lost in all the hussle and bustle. I have had residents training on me instead of a doctor (always with my permission), and sometimes I feel like a direction gets passed and the follow through may have been missed. I hate having to explain what the doctor told me to the nurse or the billing department.
IUI's were about 450$ (sperm isolation and prep, and IUI). Freezing sperm 400$. 8,000-14,000$ for IVF (medications, appointments, bloodwork, egg retrieval, lab work, ICSI, crypo...) 400$ anesthesia.
My doctor's goal is to give you one, healthy, chubby baby. With that said he was not overly pushy with either single or multiple. We discussed my options and came to a fair agreement based on my age, quality of embryos, and past treatments.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During our first IUI we had my husband's sperm checked. We did 2 more IUI's not knowing that his morphology and counts were low. We figured they didn't say anything, so it must be fine (shame on us, and may have been some wishful thinking). Had we known that result we may have forgone the next two IUI's knowing how unlikely they were to succeed with those numbers.
Kalamazoo

I really liked him [Dr. James Young] in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
They have a good track record and doctors. That's why I went and will go again. They are close to me and well known. I trust them even though I have sometimes felt like a number. They know what they're doing so I can remove myself emotionally. It's expensive and you may leave feeling worse then when you started! I was so confused when one month I couldn't even have an IUI. I didn't even know that was an option. So make sure to ask lots of questions because some information was left out of our discussions because I'm assuming they thought I just knew.
I really liked him in the beginning. He spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Then as I mentioned, I didn't see him once we started our 3 month treatment plan. And after 3 failed months of Femara, trigger shot and IUI's I haven't been back. Decided to take a small break then try again. They said we would meet with the doctor again for a new plan of action. But after my 3rd failed month and now 4 months since then, not one person or nurse has ever called to check on us and see if we wanted to make our next appointment and get a new treatment plan going. That's when I went from feeling human to feeling like a number. No one cares I guess, that's what it feels like. Just pay your bill and if you come back you come back. Ugh!
Dot set deadlines when you'll be pregame. You'll just disappointed when it comes and go's. Be expectant but informed. Really ask all your questions and understand to your best during your first appointments. As I guess you're not guaranteed to see your doctor for awhile.
I didn't feel like a number initially. I saw Dr. Young in the beginning then for all my ultrasounds and IUI's I did now see him! Kind of crazy to me. After 3 failed months on Femara, 2 months I had failed IUI's and 1 month I couldn't do IUI because they think I ovulated early or late. But I never saw or spoke with Dr. Young once the treatment plan started. I don't like that.
I guess I'm not certain. Just that he said Femara and IUI was his opinion what was best for me during our first 3 month treatment plan. He said we would do 3 month treatment plans and if they didn't work we would re-visit and come up with the next plan. I did my research as well, but mostly trust his expert opinions.
They didn't do a bad job. Just did their job. Just went through the motions and wished me licked every time. Like ok see you next time. No big deal that I had 3 months of expensive failed treatments. They did well, nothing exceptional
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think it was around $200-250 just every time I stepped in the office. Which some appointments were not even necessary and could have take place with a phone call or email! We paid for mid-cycle ultrasounds and IUI's (separate cost for both my husband & I). Some appointments I paid for we're frustrating because like I mentioned, they weren't necessary and I left with no new information or the appointment was like 10 mins. Every single thing was a different cost. And I felt like some things my doctor could have provided under insurance. Like certain testing that was done in the very beginning. Like bliss work and ultrasounds. Being I had 3 miscarriages already, shouldn't my normal doctors have already done all the testing, blood work and ultrasounds? Why did it take 3 miscarriage and the fertility center and 5 years for me to be diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and factor 5?! That's crazy to me

2015 - 2017, Successful
He [Dr. Dodds] took the time to deeply explain things in ways that we could here. I appreciated that he didn’t speak in absolutes like other doctors who told us we would never get pregnant on our own—which we did we just miscarried. He instead explained our odds and what he recommended based on our aged and his knowledge and our factors. ... Meeting directly with Dr Dodd’s was very helpful, supportive, and informative
Some really great staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] and some just ok. You do end up feeling a bit like a number due to volume. ... I didn’t love having whatever doc was on whatever day for retrievals and consults. ... They don’t really push or recommend PGS testing and suggest three or four embryos to transfer given my age over 40. We transferred 3 and had a singleton and have 4 embryos remaining
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He took the time to deeply explain things in ways that we could here. I appreciated that he didn’t speak in absolutes like other doctors who told us we would never get pregnant on our own—which we did we just miscarried. He instead explained our odds and what he recommended based on our aged and his knowledge and our factors.
Bring all your questions to your appointment as you won’t have many with him.
Meeting directly with Dr Dodd’s was very helpful, supportive, and informative and when he called with results and information it was fantastic but the majority of things are handled by his nurses. Truly when doing IUI you don’t see or hear from the docs much at all and that improves some with IVF. The nurses are mostly great but it feels like the clinic is super busy and not able to handle all the patients.
Yikes I don’t remember the protocol except I was in a ton of Gonal F.
Sandy was amazing and absolutely was the reason we made it through the process. Jennifer was also fantastic as her back up. We wouldn’t have our son without Sandy.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Some really great staff and some just ok. You do end up feeling a bit like a number due to volume. The end results were excellent. I didn’t love having whatever doc was on whatever day for retrievals and consults.
They were laid out and totaled with meds around $15,000 for IVF
They don’t really push or recommend PGS testing and suggest three or four embryos to transfer given my age over 40. We transferred 3 and had a singleton and have 4 embryos remaining.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Some trouble with getting meds called into mail order pharmacies and some calling back and forth for results.
Grand Rapids
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much.... He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. ...It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment...At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold.
[Nursing Staff at The Fertility Center] They were very helpful and always available to answer any questions we had. They were not always warm which sometimes was hard because with all of the hormones I had surging through me I could have used a little more warmth from them... $14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost....I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal.
If you want a doctor who is knowledgeable and confident he is the doctor for you. If you want someone to make you feel warm and fuzzy, not so much. I had a bad fall shortly after becoming pregnant thought IVF. I called the clinic to ask what I should do and they patched us through to Dr. Young on a Sunday night. He was patient and reassuring and did not brush us off like it wasn't a big deal. He understands that this is hard and scary and he doesn't down play that. I felt like it was very important for my husband to feel comfortable with the Doctor we chose as much as I did, and he thought Dr. Young was fantastic. Gave him a lot of peace of mind.
At first I found him to be kind of cold but very informative. He told my husband and I the facts and didn't sugar coat. I like warm people, but when spending the kind of money we were about to and the emotional ride we about to get on I preferred having confidence in my chosen doctors ability and he gave me that 10 fold. As time went on and we moved from IUI to IVF he became more involved and was available for questions and concerns and made me feel very important.
It was males based infertility so Dr. Young wanted to start off with a less aggressive treatment. My husband and I started with a round of IUI and were unsuccessful but Dr. Young encouraged us to try at least 3 before moving on to IVF. We did two rounds of IUI and then decided to do IVF. We did a 2 month protocol (the long protocol) and had success.
$14,000 ICSI and time lapse photography were all part of the cost.