3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
555 MidTowne
Mason, MI 48854
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

Dr. Dodds always addresses me by my first name throughout our conversations and looks me in the eyes whenever he is speaking to me. This makes me feel as though he is engaged in the conversation and not just going through the motions. He consistently explains everything fully and answers my questions until I am satisfied with the responses. He is always sympathetic when I return for treatment, and he genuinely seems to want me to have a successful pregnancy. I really feel as if he has a vested interest in me as a person and a future parent.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner...Each IUI was ~$250...A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if yo
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very caring and experienced. He founded the clinic, and I believe he has been a reproductive endocrinologist for approximately 30 years. In addition, he specializes in PCOS, my fertility issue. Therefore, I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to maximize my potential to be a parent. The only negative comment I have about Dr. Dodds is that I think is so knowledgeable that he sometimes forgets that I (as a patient) am not. He is always happy to clarify any confusion, but the first time he explains something, it is not always clear (e.g., certain details are missing or he mentions a term we had not previously discussed).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Dr. Dodds wants to ensure all his patients have a clear understanding of their treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I did 4 IUI cycles. 3 were with Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Estrace (vaginally) because of a thin uterine lining on ultrasound. Estrace was taken before and after IUI. For one of the cycles, I did a stepwise Femara cycle, as the first 5 days did not produce mature follicles. This resulted in the production of mature follicles after the stepwise administration. For the 4th IUI, I took Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Gonal-F (75 IU) injections prior to IUI. For all IUIs, I did an Ovidrel injection 48 hours prior to the IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a long history and many patients, so I feel that overall, this facility has the collective experience and knowledge that makes me confident in obtaining a positive treatment outcome. However, there are aspects of this center that are quite unorganized. A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if you have a full-time job, you should be prepared to miss work, as all treatments are done during the business day (8:30AM-3:30PM only). Finally, the billing department is incredibly disorganized, so you should be prepared to essentially keep meticulous track of your own financial accounting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI was ~$250.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Young is very professional he has good knowledge of endometriosis and the paths to take to pregnancy...He is dry and witty and has a way of making you feel comfortable...we started with famera and were going to move on to IUI. When an endometrioma was discovered before my first IUI cycle, we pivoted to egg retrieval...
the nurses [of Fertility Center of Michigan] are all very friendly. They know my name and always are able to answer my questions/get back to me in a timely manor...doctors are very compassionate, everyone is willing to answer questions and the doctors have a warm sense of humor...but sometimes you have to ask for things or remind them of situations...[cost]17k plus meds so far
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young is very professional he has good knowledge of endometriosis and the paths to take to pregnancy. I am confidant I will get where I want to be with him as my doctor. He is dry and witty and has a way of making you feel comfortable
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
ask lots of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
the nurses and doctors are very compassionate, everyone is willing to answer questions and the doctors have a warm sense of humor
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
we started with famera and were going to move on to IUI. When an endometrioma was discovered before my first IUI cycle, we pivoted to egg retrieval. This proved difficult, as I needed higher and higher doses to get my follicles to develop. My first cycle i had 5 follicles, got one egg and one embryo. Thankfully, TFC has a multi egg retrieval program where for only 3 thousand dollars more than one cycle and transfer you can do 3 revivals, bank your eggs and do a transfer after your third retrieval. Eventually we got 6 embryos and froze them all. I then had endo surgery and had a transfer that failed. We tried for another transfer but canceled it due to a hormone producing ovarian cyst. We treated that with birth control, and while waiting we decided to do the recurrent pregnancy loss workup where we found polyps in my uterus. I had surgery scheduled to remove the polyps but that was canceled due to Corona virus.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: it was a team)
the nurses are all very friendly. They know my name and always are able to answer my questions/get back to me in a timely manor
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
they're smart, but sometimes you have to ask for things or remind them of situations. I asked for the recurrent miscarriage workup, eset, etc. Or remind them I have endo so thats why I think this way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
17k plus meds so far
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I asked to do one in our next transfer, he had no problem with it, but it was not offered
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had a nurse prescribe a certain amount of injections, but didn't call in the correct size vial
Grand Rapids
We met [Dr. Mili Thakur] at our initial consultation, but since then I've only dealt with the nurses. I was surprised that she was not the one who performed my IUI's...I feel like my expectations were set high. When my husband and I went in for our initial consult we felt a little rushed and had questions that we were unable to get answered. Although she did explain in detail the recommended treatment...I realize the doctor's are busy but I wish I could see them more often.
The nursing staff at [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is phenomenal! The nursing staff are the ones who communicate with me on the phone and through the patient portal. They are also the ones I saw after my ultrasound to discuss plan of care and for my IUI's...This clinic has a good reputation and success rate. The nurses are phenomenal! I've only seen Dr. Thakur and Dr. Young once...I realize the doctor's are busy but I wish I could see them more often.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We met Dr. Thakur at our initial consultation, but since then I've only dealt with the nurses. I was surprised that she was not the one who performed my IUI's. The one time I met her I thought she was nice, but I felt rushed and did not have an opportunity to have all my questions answered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't let her rush you and stay until all of your questions get answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Mili Thakur used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Our diagnosis is male factor infertility. Dr. Thakur did one medicated cycle that was unsuccessful. Next I had an IUI that resulted in pregnancy, but the pregnancy was not viable so I miscarried. I did a second IUI that was unsuccessful. My third IUI was scheduled, but had to be cancelled due to illness.
The nursing staff at TFC is phenomenal! The nursing staff are the ones who communicate with me on the phone and through the patient portal. They are also the ones I saw after my ultrasound to discuss plan of care and for my IUI's.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic has a good reputation and success rate. The nurses are phenomenal! I've only seen Dr. Thakur and Dr. Young once. Dr. Thakur at my consultation and Dr. Young when I was having complications from my miscarriage. I realize the doctor's are busy but I wish I could see them more often.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI cost $600 out of pocket. My insurance does not cover anything dealing with infertility.
Describe Mili Thakur's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I don't have any experience with this yet.
Mili Thakur
2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us... is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us...Just be aware he is flat affected so if you're expecting an upbeat personality, you won't get that from him. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just not his personality
We love Libby [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan]! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question...For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000...Strengths: They treat you really well when you're doing IVF Weaknesses: When asked what I needed to do differently according to diet, exercise, etc. They said nothing when other clinics would give me a list of things to do to help our chances.
Dr Young is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us.
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby )
We love Libby! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question.
For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000
Grand Rapids

I've only ever seen Dr. Shavell twice in two years, during consults. She's very sweet, but she has nurses perform IUI procedures (and not very well), a different doctor performed my HSG and any time I place a call or send a message to her directly it's always a nurse that responds...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
All [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain...Terrible business hours for anyone that works a regular job and is expected to drive back and forth multiple times a month in the middle of the day for ultrasounds. The staff there also seems to forget everything is being paid out of pocket by most of us and every time we come we're charged hundreds of dollars, and are disapproving when trying to minimize appointments. The front registration staff are phenomenal.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is very nice and soft spoken, easy to talk to. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
You're just one of many. She is kind and knowledgeable but don't plan for her to actually be involved in your care unless you're doing IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
HSG that came back normal, 3 rounds of clomid, 4 rounds of Femara in attempt to see if any of these things would produce more follicles to increase chances of pregnancy. I was already ovulating on my own and ended up with multiple follicles twice. Also went on estrogen and progesterone to thicken lining when Femara thinned it. No success from any treatments.
All are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Expensive, my insurance doesn't cover most of it. Ultrasounds are frequent and usually cost $175-250 depending on limited or complete (although even when charging for complete ultrasound the cervix isn't evaluated and a VERY fast sweep of the uterus is performed that's not very diagnostic). IUIs were around 700 each time, the HSG was probably closer to 1000 but I can't remember the exact numbers for sure. Consults are over 100, and then another 50 every time I talk to a nurse in the clinic after ultrasounds.
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Not to that point yet
Grand Rapids

Dr. Shavell is so empathetic she almost comes off as meek in the consult room, which might be good for some people, but I prefer a doctor to be blunt and tell me like it is. She did perform surgery when I had an ectopic pregnancy and she's much more to the point in the operating room so I was happy with that and she did a great job...The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I fi
you're always seeing someone different [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] so there's bound to be conflicting information...We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc... think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would suggest going into an appointment prepared with lots of questions to ask. I've done a lot of my own research and make lists of things I want to ask her about.
Dr. Shavell is empathetic and really spends the time to help my husband and I by explaining everything and letting us ask a ton of questions.
I've done 4 IUI's under Dr. Shavell's primary care. At the Fertility Center you basically see whichever doctor or nurse is available during your procedures though so a lot of these protocols were assigned by other providers. Each IUI cycle started with Clomid cycle days 3-5, midcycle ultrasound ~day 10-12, IUI ~day 13-15. The first two were negative. The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I finally had surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube. After methotrexate you have to wait 3 months to conceive so we did a 4th and final IUI that was negative. At that point we jumped into IVF and prepping for egg retrieval. I can't remember the protocol, but it involved Menopur and Ganirelix, etc. The ER was very successful with 18 eggs retrieved, 17 mature and fertilized, 14 made it to day 3. We did a 3 day fresh transfer with 2 embryos and froze the remaining 12. The result was negative. We waited a month or so and then began to prep for frozen embryo transfer. It was a long lupron protocol. We transferred 2 embryos, which resulted in miscarriage at ~5.5 weeks. We waited another month and began the same long lupron protocol again. We decided to thaw all frozen 10 embryos to grow them out to blastocyst with the goal of weeding out some that may be weaker. They all survived thaw and made it to blast. We transferred 2 and refroze the remaining 8. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. We were getting ready to do some additional testing (hysteroscopy to check for fibroids, etc. and chromosome mapping) before moving forward with the next cycle, but everything is now on hold due to Covid-19. We will also do an ERA cycle prior to the next FET.
They are wonderful and compassionate in their communication.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would estimate that each IUI costs around $1500 including drugs, ultrasounds, and procedure. They don't bill insurance for the male portion, but they've billed my insurance for everything else and majority of it has been covered by Blue Care Network. We've paid 100% out of pocket for IVF as our insurance does not cover. We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc.
Dr. Shavell has had no problem transferring two embryos each time, but has made sure to ask that we are ok with the higher chance of having multiples.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Like I stated before in the weaknesses, you're always seeing someone different so there's bound to be conflicting information. I always take the information given and then if I feel like I need a second opinion I'll call and speak with a different nurse/doctor over the phone to get their opinion/confirm what I was told/was recommended to me. I had one IUI cycle cancelled due to intolerance of drugs prescribed. I took the Clomid as instructed and the doctor also put me on Estradiol to help give my lining a boost. Apparently Estradiol can basically cancel out the clomid in some women so my follicles stopped progressing that cycle. After four rounds of clomid, I've now been told that clomid can actually cause a thin lining, which was my issue, so they switched to Femera for the last two cycles and that really helped thicken my lining.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodds wants to try two cycles of hybrid medications with IUI to increase my chances of conceiving. I will be using Femara 5.0, and Gonal F at 450iu at 75iu per injection for a few days days, and a trigger shot of Ovidrel at 250 mcg/.5 ml He also gave me the success rates for all of the options that he gave me (such as, I could try Laproscopic surgery to check for endo but it would only increase my chances of conceiving by about 20%, or I could do the hybrid and IUI which on average 60% conceive within 3 cycles, or IVF which is a 60% change on the first try no matter if I have endo or anything else, with the added bonus of having egg retrieval and FET at the age of 32 instead of later in life, especially with my low ovarian reserve.
it is a nice sized clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo] but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds was very well spoken and personable, he told me the findings of my blood work and what was normal or abnormal and what he thought we needed to work on. He have me several different options as to what my next steps should be, but also rated them as what he would "suggest if I were his own child" . He made it very clear that he wanted to get me to what my husband and my goal of having a child in the most cost effective and healthy way possible.
He is very open and will explain anything that you want/need.
Dr. Dodds took the time to look at my information and decide what he thought was the best for me, he was caring but also to the point. He seemed sincere and concerned for my best interest in all aspects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Everyone was very sensitive and supportive, every time I go into the clinic I feel at ease and supported, everyone is very sensitive to the situation and you feel like they are all rooting for you to win
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
it is a nice sized clinic, but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
with no insurance coverage, my consultation was around $240, ultrasound runs around $275, medication costs Femara $6, Ovidrel $100 Gonal-F $450, Initial consultation was $375, Blood work all together was around $600
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established....we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me
All of the nursing staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!... I believe the clinic overall is a solid one. I believe they have very fair prices, but I do wish they would look into Invocell IVF. This would give people like myself a chance at IVF due to the lower cost.... Each round of IUI ended up being around $800. IVF is expected to cost around $10,000 plus meds, anesthesia, etc.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Strengths-I do believe he truly wants to help his patients achieve the end goal of bringing home a baby Weakness-I believe he is a very busy man and I didn't feel as supported by him as I would have liked. I think he focuses the majority of his support on IVF patients
Speak up about your wants and if something doesn't sound right or applicable to your case
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established. We did 2 rounds of IUI, with the second ending in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic. We then took a break. Fast forward to 2019, we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me or were untrue.
We did 2 rounds of IUI with femara and Ovidrel. The rationale was that due to my husband's lower sperm count and motility, having more eggs and putting the sperm closer to them would increase the chance of pregnancy. I had one negative cycle and one pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic
All of the nursing staff has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!
N/A we did not do IVF

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Shavell] went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated. ... After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. ... She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We had to cancel an egg retrieval which was so disheartening after finishing half of our shots/medications. She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
Be open minded through the process as things change often. Be more prepared to talk to all of the staff and nurses and ask many questions. You truly don't talk to the Dr often.
She went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated.
We decided to do a full IVF cycle. My body decided to produce one very large egg (many other small eggs that just would not be able to catch up) which resulted in having to postpone our IVF. After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. Nothing like watching your dreams being crushed 6 different times. Still we remain positive and continue on. We are definitely praying for a healthy miracle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
I cannot say enough good things about Libby. She answers every question I have with such care and compassion. I have seen a few nurses, but she just seems to stand out with her personal care.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We have personally spent over $25,000 and counting for fertility treatments. It is extremely overwhelming financially when you're constantly getting a bill for treatment plans and services. It hits harder after a failed attempt where you have to pay for more injections or medications. IVF and fertility are extremely expensive at this center. It is our closest option for being able to make appointments on a regular routine basis.
We thought it best to do a multiple embryo transfer after much discussion with our Dr. This next month feels like a standstill for time.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s was personable and answered any questions you had, but you only saw him once. The rest of the time you deal with the nurses...I was concerned about being able to get pregnant due to losing a Fallopian tube a year and a half prior to this appointment along with having PCOS. He was very thorough and kind about everything...We decided to try doing the IUI first because I still have a good Fallopian tube.
You have to go go between the 2 locations(Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) because they cannot she the insemination procedures in Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is amazing and very friendly and helpful. Grand Rapids staff not as friendly...[nurses] are amazing. They call you back that day to answer any questions, make sure you fully understand and don’t rush you. Very caring people.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The first time I saw him was at the initial consult. He was very friendly and answered my questions, and went over my health history. I was concerned about being able to get pregnant due to losing a Fallopian tube a year and a half prior to this appointment along with having PCOS. He was very thorough and kind about everything.
Ask as many questions as possible, even write down questions before going in. You only see the Dr. once.
The first thing is Dr. Dodd’s gave me a list of speed donors to chose from. We decided to try doing the IUI first because I still have a good Fallopian tube. The first time we did the Clomid and Ovidril. A couple of ultrasounds and then the IUI. This did not work. The second time they changed the meds to Letrozole and Ovidril, a few ultrasounds and then the IUI. This attempt failed also. The third time they did the Letrozole, Gonal-f injections, Ovidril and progesterone, about 4 Ultrasounds and then the IUI. This attempt failed as well. They were hoping I would produce more eggs and I still only got about 2-3 each time.
They are amazing. They call you back that day to answer any questions, make sure you fully understand and don’t rush you. Very caring people.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You only see the Dr. once. You have to go go between the 2 locations(Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) because they cannot she the insemination procedures in Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo staff is amazing and very friendly and helpful. Grand Rapids staff not as friendly.
Around $6000 for all 3 attempts including meds, ultrasounds, insemination and donor sorry.
Kalamazoo
We had our egg retrieval [with Dr. Dodds] and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried...Was very knowledgeable and seemed honest with us every time we spoke. He seemed to really want to help us with our family and offered different suggestions we could take. He left a lot up to us on how quickly we wanted to move forward and supported any decisions we made for our treatments.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey...[nurses were] Very helpful with any situation. Always returned my calls when I had any questions I had regarding our procedure to make sure I was still following our plan and things were progressing normally...The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] it was much harder to receive help...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
They seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey.
We started with 3 rounds of femara resulted all negative pregnancy tests, had an HSG done results were normal. I started IVF procedures with injections in the morning and also in the evening. I don't remember every injection but was closely monitored by blood work and ultrasounds every other day. Once we got the okay I had a trigger shot and another injection. We had our egg retrieval and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great at providing a way to get pregnant. Offers many more options and insight that regular ob's are not able to do. The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure it was much harder to receive help. There were other circumstances and factors that occurred during this time which made it more difficult. In hindsight I would have found a better OB sooner to help with the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I was given a few options based on availability and I picked what I was able to do between my work schedule and office hours.
With our original insurance we had all of our procedures covered outside of a minor copay for each appointment. With our new insurance they do not work with so everything is now out of pocket even though our current insurance offers fertility treatments the same as our previous insurance it's just now out of network.
Kalamazoo
I think Dr. Shavell is knowledgable and realistic with fertility expectations and outcomes. She spent a significant amount of time with us at our initial consultation but did not actually perform any of my procedures herself. She was an overseer of my case...She was not warm or fuzzy, but she did call to check up on me after our negative result to discuss further diagnostics and treatment options...In my age bracket, they recommended 2-3 embryos at a transfer. I understand the risks with that and opted to proceed with the multiple embryo transfer.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is clean, professional, and easy to get to...In my age bracket, they recommended 2-3 embryos at a transfer. I understand the risks with that and opted to proceed with the multiple embryo transfer...The IVF procedures are expensive and they require payment for a deposit and then payment in full before the cycle...The Nurses were efficient, professional, knowledgeable, and available at any time to communicate and answer questions. They were fantastic.
I think Dr. Shavell is knowledgable and realistic with fertility expectations and outcomes. She spent a significant amount of time with us at our initial consultation but did not actually perform any of my procedures herself. She was an overseer of my case. She did communicate well with me when she called on the phone and she did call to check up on me after our negative result.
Be prepared to communicate more with the Nurses and make sure you are given both your red and your green folders. Read everything they provide.
Doctor Shavell is very knowledgable and was candid about our chances and our options. She was not warm or fuzzy, but she did call to check up on me after our negative result to discuss further diagnostics and treatment options.
We did an egg retrieval with a long cycle. We did injectable hormones. We retrieved 13 eggs, 5 fertilized, 2 survived to freeze. We had to do a freeze-all cycle because I needed a polypectomy the following cycle. The cycle after the surgery, we did a frozen transfer with both embryos. They did not take.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is clean, professional, and easy to get to. I dislike that they are the only option on this side of the state so I was nervous about using them when I moved here because I really had no other choice. But I think they do a nice job and would recommend them.
The IVF procedures are expensive and they require payment for a deposit and then payment in full before the cycle. I was unprepared for this as my clinic in NJ billed me as we went along. This delayed us getting started since all the money was required up front.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Shavell is very honest and gives me the facts - which I love. She is willing to try different things to get us where we need to be to have children. She is very intelligent and understands the fertility field. My only complaint is with the amount of testing she wanted done, we had to pay everything completely out of pocket, which got frustrating. But I was honest with her and told her we needed to save money, so she adjusted her plan.
[Fertility Center of MI's] Strengths - the clinic has been around since the 90s and is very successful in what they do. They are willing to try new things to get patients where they'd like to be. Weakness - it's very pricey and the tests cost a lot of money out of pocket. They don't take many insurance plans.... Everyone is very nice at the Fertility Center. They know the patients by name and understand it's a hard reason patients are there, so they are very sensitive and kind.
Be honest about your financial needs up front.
She is very open to my suggestions and listens to everything I've gone through.
So far we have done clomid cycles at 50mg per month days 5-9 with no luck.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
$100 deposit for initial appointment which costs over $300. After that, we paid different amounts each appointment.
No strong opinion, it is up to us.
Grand Rapids

After one of her lab tests, it became clear that my wife has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no one informed her of that until the information came up almost accidentally in a conversation with Dr. Shavell. ... She's very warm and seems to treat her patients well as people. However, she really needs to be more assertive and guide the conversation as the physician. My wife and I felt like she wasn't forthcoming with information and basically waited for us to lead the conversation rather than sharing info upfront and using that to guide the conversation and treatment plan.
No complaints so far about the clinic [The Fert Ctr of MI] as a whole - they've been great to work with. We've felt very supported through this whole process by the office overall, including the front office staff and the nurses. ... After one of her lab tests, it became clear that my wife has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no one informed her of that until the information came up almost accidentally in a conversation with Dr. Shavell.
She's very warm and seems to treat her patients well as people. However, she really needs to be more assertive and guide the conversation as the physician. My wife and I felt like she wasn't forthcoming with information and basically waited for us to lead the conversation rather than sharing info upfront and using that to guide the conversation and treatment plan. She's too soft-spoken and needs to be able to tell it like it is, good or bad.
Do your research so that you know what questions to ask to get the information you need. If you rely on her to lead the conversation, you will likely not walk away with a good understanding of what's happening.
She has a very warm personality, makes good eye contact, and seems to care about her patients.
We're still early in the process, but at this point it's been mostly treating both my wife and myself with prescriptions for various things that seem to be contributing to our infertility (irregular cycles and hypothyroidism for her, prostatitis and low sperm count for me).
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No complaints so far about the clinic as a whole - they've been great to work with. We've felt very supported through this whole process by the office overall, including the front office staff and the nurses.
2015 - 2019, Successful
There were many appointments where I’d wait to speak with the doctor [Dr. William Dodds] and then the nurses would dismiss me because they were backed up or too busy. I talked to the nurses all the time and I’d wish I could’ve asked the Doctor more questions regarding my treatments and the results...I saw all of the Doctors there. Dodds seemed to be the most experienced with all of the challenges that arose during my journey. I also saw Dr Thakur and really appreciated the fact that she took her time with me to answer any questions and side effects that I could expect.
Some [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were very knowledgeable and helpful when I’d have questions and others would contradict themselves when deciding on the course of my treatments...There were multiple times when I’d go in for blood work and the nurses assured me they ordered them in the system. When I’d go to the labs and they weren’t showing them I’d have to call the clinic and or return to a different lab at a later time because of an error on their end
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and ask a lot of questions.
There were many appointments where I’d wait to speak with the doctor and then the nurses would dismiss me because they were backed up or too busy. I talked to the nurses all the time and I’d wish I could’ve asked the Doctor more questions regarding my treatments and the results.
Some were very knowledgeable and helpful when I’d have questions and others would contradict themselves when deciding on the course of my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Over all most of the people there were friendly and knowledgeable. I am not impressed either Robin and a few others in the billing department. They gave me the runaround about a few of my claims that were covered by my insurance and they still charged me out of pocket. When I called them multiple times to follow up they were not professional in getting back to me and helping to get the fees reversed.
Unfortunately most of our costs were all out of pocket
Grand Rapids

She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.... Femara followed by an ultrasound to monitor follicles and Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. She added Estradiol due to thin lining and Crinone after ovulation. I did get pregnant that cycle but unfortunately miscarried.
They [the nursing staff at The Fertility Center] were very helpful and called promptly with results.... I did not find Dr. Dodds to be at all compassionate or professional. We had a very poor experience with him following our fourth loss. It also seems there is a lack of communication among nursing staff regarding change of plans.... We used oral medications with timed intercourse and insurance covered most of the cost but do not cover IVF.
She is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.
Don’t be scared to ask questions. She is very compassionate and willing to answer.
She took the time to empathize with my situation and ask how I would like to proceed.
They were very helpful and called promptly with results.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have experience.
Grand Rapids

The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it [with Dr. Valerie Shavell]. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol...During some appointments I felt as though she was looking at my chart for the first time...is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is pleasant...IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500...Clean and inviting but sometimes the wait times are long when arriving for an appointment. I also wish there was a payment plan option when doing IVF. Appointments are usually easy to schedule and are flexible...The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol.
Valerie is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
Ask questions.
The nursing staff is pleasant.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500.
Grand Rapids

I was given the option to either do a single or multiple embryo transfer [by Dr. Valerie Shavell]...I felt as though my opinions mattered and that ultimately I was able to help make the decisions for myself...I felt as though my provider listened to my concerns and looked into my medical record to get a full background so that my consultation wasn’t a waste of time. She also called me personally to discuss some of my lab results and went over the next steps with me which was very helpful.
Strengths [of The Fertility Center of Michigan] are being very timely to get back with lab results and communicate what the next steps are. When I called the clinic with concerns I was take seriously and I was gotten in to the clinic for a follow up quickly...The nursing staff provided a lot of information that was helpful and they made it clear that if you ever had any questions to not be afraid to call...Some costs that seemed to be optional ended up being costs that were required for successful treatment
Be honest and tell them what’s really on your mind.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths are being very timely to get back with lab results and communicate what the next steps are. When I called the clinic with concerns I was take seriously and I was gotten in to the clinic for a follow up quickly.
I was given the option to either do a single or multiple embryo transfer
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was told to start on a medication but it was never called into the pharmacy.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.... Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
The office team [The Fertility Center of Michigan] up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed....Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.... My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent....There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity.... I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was overstimulated even on a low dose. This caused my estrogen levels to skyrocket. They chose to move me over to a freeze-all cycle. In some regard, a freeze-all actually worked out better for me though because I felt recovered before allowing the transfer.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Young is definitely very wise and I felt I could trust him with our treatments. Personally, I feel like his bedside manners could improve a little. He is very kind and thorough, but somewhat awkward at times. I felt like I had to push treatment changes when things didn't work but that's also largely a part of my personality. He always explained things in an easy-to-understand way.... I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course.
Strengths [Fertility Center of MI]: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.... Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana.
Keep in mind that although he can come off a little quiet or awkward at times, I do believe he has plenty of wisdom and experience to handle direct treatment courses. I'm still undergoing treatment (more aggressive, I'll add) so I'm very curious to see how my thoughts on him will change, if at all!
Dr. Young is very kind and remembered some minor details about my previous cycles, which I really appreciated.
I responded very well to Femara 5mg for my IUIs, so we stuck with that for 3 cycles. Although I was ready to change things up, I understood how he wanted to keep the course. I was also thankful to move on to Gonal-F for IUI #4, though my dose was small (75iu nightly). I actually responded with fewer follicles than on 5mg Femara. My 5th and final IUI, we tried a higher dose of Follistim (125iu) and I responded very well! Almost too well: 6 follicles. I'm very glad my clinic was upfront and honest with me about the risks and let me make that decision alongside of them. We still went for that IUI and it was a negative, but I feel very good about that last shot IUI: we tried our best and I feel much more comfortable moving forward with IVF, especially since I've gotten comfortable with injections.
Erica is fabulous and so sweet! There have been a few more that have really showed me compassion, including Kristi. But my favorite staff member is actually a sonographer, Shana. She is SO good at what she does and is insanely sweet and compassionate! I plan on requesting her for all my future scans, when possible.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: location, cost, easy to get you on the schedule for appointments, not a long wait for treatments (including IVF), wonderful nurses and sonographers. Weaknesses: you almost always have to leave a voicemail and wait for a nurse to call you back, very little interaction with the RE.
I have zero fertility coverage besides 50% coverage for meds (which I realized was truly nothing since most pharmacies have an agreement and give women who are completely out of pocket a discount, so my med coverage didn't really do anything). Specifically with my clinic, a semen analysis was around $130. IUI including the sperm wash was $500. Most ultrasounds/appointments were in the $100 range, depending on your coverage, of course.
We are just about to start our first IVF cycle with Dr. Young, so I can't speak about embryo transfers yet. But, I did trigger and have an IUI with 6 follicles and they were very straightforward and honest with me about the risks. You could tell it was very important to them that I knew what I was doing.
Grand Rapids

I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery.... I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
It's a great clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI], but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.... Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. T
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a blood test done that I never got the results for. I finally had to ask about it a month later.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions.... After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F.
My number one strength [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms.... They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone.
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions. There were times where I felt she was more focused on me thinking she cared than her actually trying to fix any issues. I also feel she is not very available when needed.
Ask her to give it to you straight. Also, request a full description of treatments with all the why's explained.
I don't think, in the beginning, the treatment was custom to my issues. I think they take standard protocol and go through the motions. I had to start fighting for what I wanted. They also are not exactly forthcoming on information. I had to ask a lot of questions I learned through podcasts and others who have gone through it all before.
After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F. I can't remember the specific dose of letrozole but the injections were 300. I did not respond as well to the letrozole as we had hoped. I am currently going to do one timed cylce of 100 mg of clomid (back to clomid after under-performance of letrozole) while we wait for insurance pre-authorization. If that is approved (different insurance company than the last round) I will have one last IUI cycle of 100 mg Clomid and Gonal-F 450 injections. IF this does not work, we will immediately be moving on to IVF.
They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone. I also felt like the communication between the team wasn't all that great, where one would tell me one thing about my treatment but the next person I talk with didn't have that same information. That was a little frustrating. I also had to make sure I had all my questions ready to ask, otherwise I wasn't informed of any "extra" information. Honestly, I love the staff, I just worry a little about their efficiency/organization.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My number one strength is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms. Also, when my husband goes to drop off his specimen, I wish it was a little quicker for him. He has a very time structured job and gets frustrated that he has to sit there for 15 minutes before the lab calls him back. I think that should be explained better, the whole home to lab process. I would tell a new patient to ask all the questions, nothing is too much when it comes to treatment. Do not expect them to go over every detail with you. If you Type A like me, you'll leave frustrated and feeling like nothing was accomplished.
Each IUI is $500 (sperm wash and procedure) plus the ultrasound and office visit. Each visit was a co-pay amount. Hybrid cycle had an extra ultrasound (echogram) which was more than the ultrasound. Medications were all based on what insurance would cover; most of it out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I just had conflicting dosage information a couple times. Seemed like I had to inform the nurse as opposed to her knowing it when she called me.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Dodds] seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing.... Had decent beside manner, and didn't seem to rush us out the door. Took time to explain everything we were going to do... The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with... Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing. He is the second doctor that I've seen for infertility, and I would definitely say that he was the better of the two. He explained everything that we were going to be doing. The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots. Everything was well planned out. Overall I would say that he's a great doctor.
I would say that he is not going to lie to you so don't go in there expecting to hear exactly what you want to hear,because he's going to tell you the truth
The doctor I saw before William. Put me on Clomid for four Cycles. So when he saw that he decided that he would put me on Fermara. And I took that for one cycle I believe it was days 3 through 7. I came in to have an ultrasound done and my follicles measured and I can't remember what day that was. The day after I had my ultrasound I was instructed to use a trigger shot to force ovulation and I was instructed to have intercourse once every 24 hours for the next three days. No pregnancy resulted from this round of femara, so I went to Grand Rapids to have dye injected into my uterus and x-rays done to see if my tubes are blocked which they were not. I had some blood work done but I can't remember what that was for. Our next step is going to be IUI next month.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There really isn't anything else I would say about the clinic that I have not said about the doctors and nurses. Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments. The only thing I wish that this Clinic offered was invocell. I've heard that it is a new like IVF treatment but it is substantially cheaper
They submit everything through my insurance even though my insurance doesn't cover infertility. So I have yet to receive the bill
We have not discussed this yet
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The day after my initial appointment for some reason the thyroid medication the doctor wanted me to be put on had not been called in to the pharmacy. The femara and the trigger shot had been called in though
Kalamazoo
The way the clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ...Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run.
The way the clinic runs [Fertility Center of Michigan], I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. ... I was able to start treatment the day of my consultation. The staff is caring and kind and mostly runs on time. They do not batch patients and office runs 7 days a week. It would be nice if there were more morning appointment times for ultrasounds, they also need a program for those paying out of pocket. Only have assured program which many don’t qualify for.
Dr. Young is very intelligent and explained everything slowly and in depth, answering all questions. He used evidence based information and cited/provided studies. He’s not the warm and fuzzy type but I don’t need that in a provider. My main critique would be for more follow through from Dr. Young himself but I also understand that’s not possible with how the office is run. I always hear from the nurses who are wonderful but don’t always receive the details I want.
He will do everything he can to customize the protocols to your needs and to meet your requests. While he isn’t the warm and fuzzy type, he’s professional, intelligent, and experienced. I would suggest to anyone to bring a list of questions to a consult and i my experience he was happy to explain discuss all my questions and concerns.
The way the clinic runs, I don’t see my actual Primary RE often except for consultations and if he happens to be doing the retrieval I will see him. The IVF nurses are my main contact. I would feel more supported If I had more contact with Dr. Young and received more follow up.
I did 2 rounds of clomid and 4 with femara doing timed intercourse, followed by 3 IUI’s with femara (none with injectables d/t lack of insurance coverage. Currently undergoing micro flare IVF. Microdose lupron with gonal -f. I have DOR.
The staff is wonderful, usually runs on time, good communicators and are very caring. They do their best to have my primary nurse see me and call.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI -$500 without meds IVF &gt;$10,000 not including ultrasound, blood draws, HSG, Mock embryo transfer, and meds meds are usually $3,000-$6,000 each US about $250 each E2 $115 each progesterone draw $115.
I haven’t transferred yet, but the office provides information with studies on the topic and Dr. Young discussed it at length in the consultation as well as the IVF nurse in the prep prior to starting IVF.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. William Dodds] is honest and caring, good bedside manner and very intelligent. Although he can be a bit flighty at times with this thought processes, we wouldn't have wanted anyone else there. Sometimes he was too caring than informative and other times he was too informative without much care. Really depended on the day.
The billing department [at Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] is totally unorganized and a joke; keep all your receipts and don't let any stone go unturned. They demand money immediately well before procedures even happen, makes them come across as money hungry. Front desk staff are cordial, but if you ever have an urgent need, no one wants or knows how to help you and you just get transferred around.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is honest and caring, good bedside manner and very intelligent. Although he can be a bit flighty at times with this thought processes, we wouldn't have wanted anyone else there. Sometimes he was too caring than informative and other times he was too informative without much care. Really depended on the day.
He called after each successful and failed pregnancy test and took time to answer questions
HSG, egg retrieval, embryo transfer and freezing
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
She was always available to assist as needed, and super helpful, but frequently lost our paperwork and was a bit disorganized at times
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The billing department is totally unorganized and a joke; keep all your receipts and don't let any stone go unturned. They demand money immediately well before procedures even happen, makes them come across as money hungry. Front desk staff are cordial, but if you ever have an urgent need, no one wants or knows how to help you and you just get transferred around.
For egg retrieval with a surrogate, it costs around $15,000
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Paperwork is often lost, billing department is totally unorganized. I ran out of meds when they wanted me to keep stimming, and my pharmacy was in the middle of a snow storm. When I called the office freaking out they basically said they don't keep meds on hand and "good luck".