Grand Rapids
3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
555 MidTowne
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Young is friendly, compassionate, and caring. He will tell you everything that is going on, which made me as a patient, feel very comforted. I do not see Dr. Young when I go in for my routine appointments, sometimes that is a little frustrating, although I do understand he is very busy. ... The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injection
The Kalamazoo clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number. ... The nurse I generally see is amazing, supportive, honest, and informative. They are right there with you, encouraging you to stay strong but also understand you will have days you want to cry and scream.
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Young takes the time to ensure you are comfortable.
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
The first three months I was a patient of Dr. Young’s he had me doing timed cycles. We had a consultation shortly into month four and didn’t want to skip a month so we did another timed cycle. After those four months we have done 2 unsuccessful IUIs and just completed our third IUI, currently awaiting the results. All IUIs have been with Gonal-F injections.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Kalamazoo clinic is very friendly. From the minute you walk in the door they greet you by name with a smile. The staff is generally the same people which makes you feel more comfortable and less like a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The cost for timed cycles, with my insurance, was covered except for the medication deductible of $40. The cost for IUI cycles, with my insurance, was $600, $40 for ovulation shot, and $40 per box of injections.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Dodd always answered all my questions that my husband or I may have had. He was good about making sure he would tell us in a way we would understand everything outside of medical terminology. He didn’t wait around and make me go through anymore IUIs or testing after I had seen over providers ... I have tried a lot. I have done clomid with out observation and with ovulation observations/IUI. I have don’t 2 rounds of IVF only one egg retrieval. My meds where gonal f, Menopur, certotide, progesterone. I had 3 shots I did a day. When I had my retrieval I ended up getting 11 good eggs
When I would go to check in the reception always knew my name. My nurse always had empathy and they all cared about my feelings and made sure I understood every step of the process ... You will have to go to Grand Rapids [The Fertility Center of Michigan] for some care of you are seen in Kalamazoo. Everyone is very nice in both offices. The Kalamazoo office does have short office hours but if you have to be seen the Grand Rapids office will get you in. ... She always called me back, answered all my questions completely and made sure I understood. When my first IVF round didn’t work she was very compassionate
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He cares about his patients, he will listen to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You will have to go to Grand Rapids for some care of you are seen in Kalamazoo. Everyone is very nice in both offices. The Kalamazoo office does have short office hours but if you have to be seen the Grand Rapids office will get you in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Around $14,000 that’s was over 2 years. 2 IUIs, I egg retrieval and 2 IVF cycles
William Dodds
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Young] is very caring and down to earth. Wants the best for us and truly wants to help.... He goes over every detail including the percentages/results from people my age with infertility issues and why he thinks we should try this. He wants to help us and get us results of a pregnancy. He truly cares about my husband and I.... First timed medicated cycle. I did gonel-f at 50 for 6 days and than ovudril after ultrasound/bloodwork said I was going to ovulate.
Very on top of everything. And always there to answer questions you have. Office staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] is always very friendly. And happy to help anytime you need it. No weaknesses. This office rocks. I definitely would tell a new patient to try to not be nervous. They truly want to help....Medicine cost was $40-$900 depending on my insurance. Ultrasound was half covered so that was $190. Bloodwork was covered. Office visit was $50
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Nothing. He is a wonderful doctor.
He is very caring and down to earth. Wants the best for us and truly wants to help.
First timed medicated cycle. I did gonel-f at 50 for 6 days and than ovudril after ultrasound/bloodwork said I was going to ovulate. Second I did another medicated cycle. This time doing gonel-f at 75 for 7 days than the ultrasound/bloodwork. Than ovudril as directed
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy Brown)
Very informative & funny. Makes you feel better about the issues.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very on top of everything. And always there to answer questions you have. Office staff is always very friendly. And happy to help anytime you need it. No weaknesses. This office rocks. I definitely would tell a new patient to try to not be nervous. They truly want to help.
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. James Young] listened to my concerns and what I was saying and going on with my body...He knew what he was talking about and was able to word it so then I understood what steps we were going to be doing. At each appointment he would explain in a way that made sense to me and my husband and we looked forward to seeing him at appointment and knew he would answer all of our questions that we had about the meds and timing with everything.
They [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are amazing and very caring about their patience and they are very encouraging and able to talk to them about things that are on your mind...They are very caring and encourage of your well being and ask how you are as soon as you walk I to the office. They dont have any weakness that I see. The office is always clean and maintained. If you have something going on in your life that your struggling with and need a hug they will give you words of encouragement and a hug. They are awesome
Just go with the flow
He listened to my concerns and what I was saying and going on with my body.
So as of right now we are doing the ultrasound on day 3 or 4 of period then injection shots for 5 days then blood work and ultrasound one more day of gonal f injection shot then ovidil injection shot then intercourse the next 3 nights then start prtestrone on Friday April 19 then two weeks in home pregnancy test call with results. Supposed to do IUI but don't have the extra money right now for it.
They are amazing and very caring about their patience and they are very encouraging and able to talk to them about things that are on your mind
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
So we had to pay out of pocket for some of our ultrasounds some meds, all IUI if we did ivf office visit copays. Insurance did cover like 3 things office visits, ultrasounds and meds with copay
Describe James Young (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Kalamazoo
[Dr. Mili Thakur] is very kind and compassionate. She is also very intelligent and knowledgeable about genetics. She took her time explaini ng the process to us. She made us feel welcome as it can be embarrassing to seek fertility help.I felt like we were in good hands with her...First cycle I used clomid and only one follicle matured. This cycle I am using clomid and follistim with a planned iui...took time to explain the process to my husband. As a nurse I understood but he did not so it was nice that she took time to explain the steps we would be taking.
One issue [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] can be parking depending on the time of your appointment. The center is in a shared building with other customers so it can get tight. It is always very clean in the waiting room. I would suggest larger BP cuffs or having nurses put cuff on forearm if not available. Otherwise cuff is too small and readings are not accurate...She [nurse] answers all my questions, usually several times, without making me feel foolish. She asks what I want to do regarding my plan of care.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Mili Thakur is very kind and compassionate. She is also very intelligent and knowledgeable about genetics. She took her time explaini ng the process to us. She made us feel welcome as it can be embarrassing to seek fertility help.I felt like we were in good hands with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dont be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She was very kind and took time to explain the process to my husband. As a nurse I understood but he did not so it was nice that she took time to explain the steps we would be taking.
Describe the protocols Mili Thakur used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Amy is fantastic! She answers all my questions, usually several times, without making me feel foolish. She asks what I want to do regarding my plan of care.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Amanda is wonderful. Always so kind. One issue can be parking depending on the time of your appointment. The center is in a shared building with other customers so it can get tight. It is always very clean in the waiting room. I would suggest larger BP cuffs or having nurses put cuff on forearm if not available. Otherwise cuff is too small and readings are not accurate.
Mili Thakur
Treated 2016 - 2017
Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her. And she is also good at explaining anything you don't understand....After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse.
Beautiful facilities [at The Fertility Center] (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times....Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints....$500 for IUI with SA/Wash....Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Come prepared with your questions because direct one on one time with her is valuable time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is very kind and sweet manored so she makes you feel as though you really matter and she wants to help figure out what's best for you.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse. Determined that IUI was the best next step. IUI #1 was 2.5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 2 mature follicles and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. IUI #2 was 5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 1 mature follicle and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. Our next plan of action is a more agressive IUI with either metformin, Femara and ovidrel or injectable meds like menopur, gonal f or follistim and then ovidrel and IUI; since the femara and ovidrel are working but not good enough. My spouse is also on clomid for his male infertility issues.
Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Beautiful facilities (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We have approximately 50% fertility related coverage however 0% of IUI and IVF are covered. So those additionally out of pocket costs were reasonable. $500 for IUI with SA/Wash.
Treated 2020
Since we had a televisit, its hard to describe our experience, since its alot different with other appointments. But i believe she [Dr. Mili Thakur] answered all of our questions and i feel like she helped us, and provided alot of information...She's great, if you have questions just ask...went above and beyond making sure we understood everything so far. Its a difficult time with covid 19, and she made sure we knew how to protect against it and explained how right now they can not do new ivf, since no one knows how it will or could affect fertility or pregnancies
We are in the very early stages of treatment, we have only had our initial appointment [with The Fertility Center of Michigan]...we went over medical history, and what she thinks we can still trt, and what is safe to do with this pandemic covid 19...i do love the fact that they are doing the televisits. I was very worried that our appointment was going to get pushed back with the offices not being able to see patients, but because of the televisit we we're able to seen(televisit) sooner than our initial appointment.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Since we had a televisit, its hard to describe our experience, since its alot different with other appointments. But i believe she answered all of our questions and i feel like she helped us, and provided alot of information.
She's great, if you have questions just ask.
I felt like Dr. Thakur went above and beyond making sure we understood everything so far. Its a difficult time with covid 19, and she made sure we knew how to protect against it and explained how right now they can not do new ivf, since no one knows how it will or could affect fertility or pregnancies
We are in the very early stages of treatment, we have only had our initial appointment, and that eas a televising, but we went over medical history, and what she thinks we can still trt, and what is safe to do with this pandemic covid 19
I have not seen any of the nursing staff, with the stay at home order, the offices are closed to patients and our appointment was a televisit
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
At this point in our fertility/infertility journey I can not say how the clinic was, since we have the pandemic covid 19,and the stay at home order,so offices are closed to patients, i am however excited to meet everyone in person once the covid 19 has calmed down, or clears up so that the clinic can open back up.i do love the fact that they are doing the televisits. I was very worried that our appointment was going to get pushed back with the offices not being able to see patients, but because of the televisit we we're able to seen(televisit) sooner than our initial appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Being that we have only had a consultation it is too early to say anything about cost as we arr still learning what we need to do.
Mili Thakur
Treated 2013 - 2019
Dr Shavell reviewed everything with us. She was kind and straightforward regarding our options. After the many failures we experienced, she gave us the best option at that point resulting in our son. ... She is the person you want in your corner with fertility treatments. She is kind and forthcoming about what will work best for you are as a person or couple TTC. I can't thank her enough for not giving up on us and giving us the best thing in our lives, our son.
TFC [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was the best decision we made when choosing a clinic. the staff and drs are wonderful and work as a team to help you every step of the way. with multiple locations in Michigan, it was very convenient ... Always treated as VIP when in their [the nursing staff] care. Wonderful staff. ... [the total cost] 36,721.36 ...
Dr Shavell is wonderful doctor. She is the person you want in your corner with fertility treatments. She is kind and forthcoming about what will work best for you are as a person or couple TTC. I can't thank her enough for not giving up on us and giving us the best thing in our lives, our son.
Be open to advice she has to give you.
Always treated as VIP when in their care. Wonderful staff.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
TFC was the best decision we made when choosing a clinic. the staff and drs are wonderful and work as a team to help you every step of the way. with multiple locations in Michigan, it was very convenient.
36,721.36
Mason
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very small and I was unsure where to enter. Once inside the office is very inviting...The nursing staff were very nice and compassionate...We just had a consult. She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] told me the process of IVF and explained every step...let me know that I could choose the number of embryos to transfer whether it be single or 2...She understood my struggle and said that we would find a way to create a family. She is compassionate and empathetic...She let me know how the process would work and the potential outcome. She offered all of the options to help afford the procedure due to it being so expensive
Dr shavell was understanding and thoroughly explained every aspect of IVF. She let me know how the process would work and the potential outcome. She offered all of the options to help afford the procedure due to it being so expensive
Ask all the questions that you have. Dr shavell is willing to answer and explain everything
We just had a consult. She told me the process of IVF and explained every step.
The nursing staff were very nice and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very small and I was unsure where to enter. Once inside the office is very inviting. I may not go back to the Mason office and instead go to the grand rapids office due to it being close to the same distance
Office visits are covered under my insurance but I will have to pay out of pocket for all drugs and treatment due to fertility not being covered with my insurance
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr shavell let me know that I could choose the number of embryos to transfer whether it be single or 2