3230 Eagle Park Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
555 MidTowne
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Dodds always addresses me by my first name throughout our conversations and looks me in the eyes whenever he is speaking to me. This makes me feel as though he is engaged in the conversation and not just going through the motions. He consistently explains everything fully and answers my questions until I am satisfied with the responses. He is always sympathetic when I return for treatment, and he genuinely seems to want me to have a successful pregnancy. I really feel as if he has a vested interest in me as a person and a future parent.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner...Each IUI was ~$250...A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if yo
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very caring and experienced. He founded the clinic, and I believe he has been a reproductive endocrinologist for approximately 30 years. In addition, he specializes in PCOS, my fertility issue. Therefore, I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to maximize my potential to be a parent. The only negative comment I have about Dr. Dodds is that I think is so knowledgeable that he sometimes forgets that I (as a patient) am not. He is always happy to clarify any confusion, but the first time he explains something, it is not always clear (e.g., certain details are missing or he mentions a term we had not previously discussed).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Dr. Dodds wants to ensure all his patients have a clear understanding of their treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I did 4 IUI cycles. 3 were with Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Estrace (vaginally) because of a thin uterine lining on ultrasound. Estrace was taken before and after IUI. For one of the cycles, I did a stepwise Femara cycle, as the first 5 days did not produce mature follicles. This resulted in the production of mature follicles after the stepwise administration. For the 4th IUI, I took Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Gonal-F (75 IU) injections prior to IUI. For all IUIs, I did an Ovidrel injection 48 hours prior to the IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a long history and many patients, so I feel that overall, this facility has the collective experience and knowledge that makes me confident in obtaining a positive treatment outcome. However, there are aspects of this center that are quite unorganized. A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if you have a full-time job, you should be prepared to miss work, as all treatments are done during the business day (8:30AM-3:30PM only). Finally, the billing department is incredibly disorganized, so you should be prepared to essentially keep meticulous track of your own financial accounting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI was ~$250.
Treated 2015 - 2020
One week before the transfer, we discovered my remaining tube now was blocked and had hydro. She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] did another laparoscopy to remove it. And we are waiting for Covid to be stable before doing the transfer our last two remaining embryos...She seems to prefer two embryos while giving the risks of multiple pregnancies but letting us know that the success rates are higher with transferring two vs one...She was extremely sympathetic while waiting for an imminent miscarriage. She has great bedside manner and expresses empathy for the ups and downs of the process.
IUIs - a couple hundred each [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...IVF retrieval with fresh - $8000 plus meds...frozen transfer - $4500 plus meds...The whole process takes longer than you want it to. 2 months for the consult, then the testing might take a month or two to do labs at certain times of your cycle. There is a small month or two wait list for IVF and it all depends on where you are in your cycle too. The clinic is well run, everyone is super friendly and supportive.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell was fantastic from the very beginning. I've done three IUIs, one egg retrieval, and three transfers that have resulted in my two children. We are currently under her care for another transfer for hopefully baby #3. She doesn't rush to the next treatment unless she feels it's the right move, included us in the decisions as well. She's performed two laparoscopy surgeries on me and has been very attentive to an issues or questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She is a bit softer spoken. But she answers all questions thoroughly and is extremely empathetic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs while knowing that one tube was blocked and the other was damaged. It felt okay trying this before going to IVF. Before IVF, she removed the blocked tub because it had hydro in it. We did an egg retrieval and fresh transfer of two embryos that resulted in a singleton pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage at 11 weeks. We did a fresh transfer of two embryos that resulted in a twin pregnancy, but we lost one baby at 9 weeks, but it resulted in my healthy first born daughter. We returned two years later and did another frozen transfer of two embryos that resulted in my second healthy daughter. We are currently under care for another transfer. One week before the transfer, we discovered my remaining tube now was blocked and had hydro. She did another laparoscopy to remove it. And we are waiting for Covid to be stable before doing the transfer our last two remaining embryos.
Very easy to communicate via phone or message. Answered all my questions that came and got me in contact with the dr as needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUIs - a couple hundred each IVF retrieval with fresh - $8000 plus meds frozen transfer - $4500 plus meds
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had called on cycle day 1 and was to start meds on cycle day 21, at one point I called for another reason and they acted surprised that I had started meds. It appears like a nurse didn't record my cycle day 1 notes and that she had given me a start date for the meds. Everything was fine, they did have me scheduled for that month and everything proceeded fine.
Treated 2020
Just pushed through a process [with Dr. Shavell]...I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Just pushed through a process [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...I felt like the clinic had too much going on to focus on the individuals. I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Do your research. Make sure you know what you are willing to do and your expected timeline for results. Be meticulous with your budget. Things get very expensive very quickly.
Just pushed through a process
Most of the nurses were great and compassionate!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office is very nice and clean. The front office staff could be friendlier and more compassionate for sure. At times it was rather difficult to get ahold of people and get answers. I ended up leaving for another clinic because I felt like just a number that was shuffled about.
My insurance did cover most of my procedures but that was because the clinic kept me at a minimal level of care that did not result in pregnancy. I ended up paying about $1000 for a few failed cycles and no resulting pregnancy.
No comment
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As stated earlier, I felt like a number. I didn’t feel like the clinic was overly motivated to get me pregnant.
Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us... is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us...Just be aware he is flat affected so if you're expecting an upbeat personality, you won't get that from him. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just not his personality
We love Libby [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan]! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question...For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000...Strengths: They treat you really well when you're doing IVF Weaknesses: When asked what I needed to do differently according to diet, exercise, etc. They said nothing when other clinics would give me a list of things to do to help our chances.
How was your experience with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young is very quiet but compassionate and caring. He called me after our second transfer didn't work just to see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He always asked us if we had any questions, shook our hands at the end and made us feel like he cared about what was going on with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Young was very genuine and made me feel like he cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby )
We love Libby! She was always upbeat but compassionate when things didn't go our way. She always had answers for us and always wished us well. She also never made me feel guilty for calling with a question.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Young (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
For egg retrieval, medications and 3 transfers, it was over $22,000
Treated 2020
Since we had a televisit, its hard to describe our experience, since its alot different with other appointments. But i believe she [Dr. Mili Thakur] answered all of our questions and i feel like she helped us, and provided alot of information...She's great, if you have questions just ask...went above and beyond making sure we understood everything so far. Its a difficult time with covid 19, and she made sure we knew how to protect against it and explained how right now they can not do new ivf, since no one knows how it will or could affect fertility or pregnancies
We are in the very early stages of treatment, we have only had our initial appointment [with The Fertility Center of Michigan]...we went over medical history, and what she thinks we can still trt, and what is safe to do with this pandemic covid 19...i do love the fact that they are doing the televisits. I was very worried that our appointment was going to get pushed back with the offices not being able to see patients, but because of the televisit we we're able to seen(televisit) sooner than our initial appointment.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Since we had a televisit, its hard to describe our experience, since its alot different with other appointments. But i believe she answered all of our questions and i feel like she helped us, and provided alot of information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She's great, if you have questions just ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I felt like Dr. Thakur went above and beyond making sure we understood everything so far. Its a difficult time with covid 19, and she made sure we knew how to protect against it and explained how right now they can not do new ivf, since no one knows how it will or could affect fertility or pregnancies
Describe the protocols Mili Thakur used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We are in the very early stages of treatment, we have only had our initial appointment, and that eas a televising, but we went over medical history, and what she thinks we can still trt, and what is safe to do with this pandemic covid 19
I have not seen any of the nursing staff, with the stay at home order, the offices are closed to patients and our appointment was a televisit
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
At this point in our fertility/infertility journey I can not say how the clinic was, since we have the pandemic covid 19,and the stay at home order,so offices are closed to patients, i am however excited to meet everyone in person once the covid 19 has calmed down, or clears up so that the clinic can open back up.i do love the fact that they are doing the televisits. I was very worried that our appointment was going to get pushed back with the offices not being able to see patients, but because of the televisit we we're able to seen(televisit) sooner than our initial appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Being that we have only had a consultation it is too early to say anything about cost as we arr still learning what we need to do.
Mason
Treated 2018 - 2019
I've only ever seen Dr. Shavell twice in two years, during consults. She's very sweet, but she has nurses perform IUI procedures (and not very well), a different doctor performed my HSG and any time I place a call or send a message to her directly it's always a nurse that responds...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
All [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain...Terrible business hours for anyone that works a regular job and is expected to drive back and forth multiple times a month in the middle of the day for ultrasounds. The staff there also seems to forget everything is being paid out of pocket by most of us and every time we come we're charged hundreds of dollars, and are disapproving when trying to minimize appointments. The front registration staff are phenomenal.
Dr. Shavell is very nice and soft spoken, easy to talk to. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
You're just one of many. She is kind and knowledgeable but don't plan for her to actually be involved in your care unless you're doing IVF.
HSG that came back normal, 3 rounds of clomid, 4 rounds of Femara in attempt to see if any of these things would produce more follicles to increase chances of pregnancy. I was already ovulating on my own and ended up with multiple follicles twice. Also went on estrogen and progesterone to thicken lining when Femara thinned it. No success from any treatments.
All are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Expensive, my insurance doesn't cover most of it. Ultrasounds are frequent and usually cost $175-250 depending on limited or complete (although even when charging for complete ultrasound the cervix isn't evaluated and a VERY fast sweep of the uterus is performed that's not very diagnostic). IUIs were around 700 each time, the HSG was probably closer to 1000 but I can't remember the exact numbers for sure. Consults are over 100, and then another 50 every time I talk to a nurse in the clinic after ultrasounds.
Not to that point yet
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell is so empathetic she almost comes off as meek in the consult room, which might be good for some people, but I prefer a doctor to be blunt and tell me like it is. She did perform surgery when I had an ectopic pregnancy and she's much more to the point in the operating room so I was happy with that and she did a great job...The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I fi
you're always seeing someone different [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] so there's bound to be conflicting information...We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc... think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would suggest going into an appointment prepared with lots of questions to ask. I've done a lot of my own research and make lists of things I want to ask her about.
Dr. Shavell is empathetic and really spends the time to help my husband and I by explaining everything and letting us ask a ton of questions.
I've done 4 IUI's under Dr. Shavell's primary care. At the Fertility Center you basically see whichever doctor or nurse is available during your procedures though so a lot of these protocols were assigned by other providers. Each IUI cycle started with Clomid cycle days 3-5, midcycle ultrasound ~day 10-12, IUI ~day 13-15. The first two were negative. The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I finally had surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube. After methotrexate you have to wait 3 months to conceive so we did a 4th and final IUI that was negative. At that point we jumped into IVF and prepping for egg retrieval. I can't remember the protocol, but it involved Menopur and Ganirelix, etc. The ER was very successful with 18 eggs retrieved, 17 mature and fertilized, 14 made it to day 3. We did a 3 day fresh transfer with 2 embryos and froze the remaining 12. The result was negative. We waited a month or so and then began to prep for frozen embryo transfer. It was a long lupron protocol. We transferred 2 embryos, which resulted in miscarriage at ~5.5 weeks. We waited another month and began the same long lupron protocol again. We decided to thaw all frozen 10 embryos to grow them out to blastocyst with the goal of weeding out some that may be weaker. They all survived thaw and made it to blast. We transferred 2 and refroze the remaining 8. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. We were getting ready to do some additional testing (hysteroscopy to check for fibroids, etc. and chromosome mapping) before moving forward with the next cycle, but everything is now on hold due to Covid-19. We will also do an ERA cycle prior to the next FET.
They are wonderful and compassionate in their communication.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would estimate that each IUI costs around $1500 including drugs, ultrasounds, and procedure. They don't bill insurance for the male portion, but they've billed my insurance for everything else and majority of it has been covered by Blue Care Network. We've paid 100% out of pocket for IVF as our insurance does not cover. We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc.
Dr. Shavell has had no problem transferring two embryos each time, but has made sure to ask that we are ok with the higher chance of having multiples.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Like I stated before in the weaknesses, you're always seeing someone different so there's bound to be conflicting information. I always take the information given and then if I feel like I need a second opinion I'll call and speak with a different nurse/doctor over the phone to get their opinion/confirm what I was told/was recommended to me. I had one IUI cycle cancelled due to intolerance of drugs prescribed. I took the Clomid as instructed and the doctor also put me on Estradiol to help give my lining a boost. Apparently Estradiol can basically cancel out the clomid in some women so my follicles stopped progressing that cycle. After four rounds of clomid, I've now been told that clomid can actually cause a thin lining, which was my issue, so they switched to Femera for the last two cycles and that really helped thicken my lining.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients...I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level.
Nurses [The Fertility Ctr of Michigan] kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.... They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients, especially the woman. He is kind and detailed, with every script and note written, never missing one single fact. At the first appointment we talked about our personal lives, careers, and families including both his own and ours - which set the tone for each future appointment, making it feel like we were just meeting with a friend. We also met in casual settings that didn’t feel like a “doctor’s office” which contributed to our comfort. He is clearly close with his staff, which helped us trust him and all the staff at the fertility clinic, knowing they were a team all together supporting us.
Great doctor- he has perfect bedside Manner and is excellent at his profession.
My calls were answered quickly, my questions were taken seriously and given thorough answers, the processes were explained in great detail as well as printed out, the staff grieved with me with each negative pregnancy test, they also helped me find the cheapest pharmacy to get medications by cash. I also had a nurse meet with me at the end of each ultrasound/consultation to go over the plan and next steps.
I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level. On the second round I didn’t get a positive ovulation test so I added ovidrel in the third and fourth cycles to ensure good ovulation. On the third and fourth cycles we did a mid cycles ultrasound Which showed that my uterine lining was getting smaller, and on the fourth round, which I had increased the dose of femara on, I was still only getting one follicle, so we have decided to move on to injectable with ovidrel and IUI which I am doing now. He explained that injectables will stimulate more eggs and thus increase chances of pregnancy. He also said iui doesn’t increase your chances by much, but we still wanted to try this during these injectable cycles as we will do 3 of them and then move to IVF.
They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic. They were kind and compassionate and I appreciated them greatly at critical moments during my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Thorough and understanding doctors with lots of experience. Nurses kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.
$300 for each ultrasound - which were multiple in some cycles. $600 -iui. $500 - first months dose of gonal f. $50 - femara. $50- metformin.
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr. Dodd’s suggested a 2 embryo transfer as that will increase our chances of success, with a reasonable chance of a multiple pregnancy. Also is it obviously a very expensive procedure, so that is to be considered.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At my first appointment, dr Dodd’s put ovidrel in his office note but we hadn’t discussed it and it was prescribed. It worked out as I was going to start it anyway.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Thakur was very direct but also very compassionate. She sincerely seemed concerned that I was having trouble conceiving, and wants to figure out why. ... I was also put on synthroid because my absorption rate was "normal" but hypo for someone who is TTC. ... I am very happy, she sat down with me and gave me numbers and what those numbers meant and what she wanted to do and how I was supposed to do it.
It is still very early in my treatment at the clinic [FC - MI] but so far I can say that they are very organized but also very busy. Some of the hours are a little strange but I also work a kind of first/second shift job so I have some odd hours open. ... When setting up my first appointment I was given a range of about how much my visit would cost ... hey were very helpful and compassionate, they made sure that any questions I had were answered and that I had everything I needed.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
It is still very early in my treatment, but compared to how I was treated at my OB/GYN I am very happy, she sat down with me and gave me numbers and what those numbers meant and what she wanted to do and how I was supposed to do it. She also was very compassionate, and explained that there are several different factors that could be at play and to conceive they all need to work in sync.
This is a new experience, don't expect the same experience.
I am still very new to the clinic and Dr. Thakur, but we are trying 3 cycles of femara using OPK's with an optimal trigger shot to begin because I was able to conceive once on a clomid cycle ( but it resulted in a chemical pregnancy). I was also put on synthroid because my absorption rate was "normal" but hypo for someone who is TTC.
They were very helpful and compassionate, they made sure that any questions I had were answered and that I had everything I needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is still very early in my treatment at the clinic but so far I can say that they are very organized but also very busy. Some of the hours are a little strange but I also work a kind of first/second shift job so I have some odd hours open.
My insurance does not cover any costs. When setting up my first appointment I was given a range of about how much my visit would cost so that I would be prepared and then at my visit I was given a sheet that broke down the clinic costs for visits, procedures, and most medications.
Kalamazoo
Dr. Young is slightly deadpan in his delivery or information. If you’re looking for someone who will tell you his honest opinion, he definitely will. It was comforting to me that he would tell me his thoughts or what would be beat for our treatment instead of laying out all the options and having me decide.... Know that you will not see him at every appointment. The clinic works so that whichever doctor is available is the one that sees you. They are all extremely capable.
I liked all the staff [at The Fertility Ctr of MI], the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.... IVF with FET was 13,000 at the fertility center, 4,000 for meds (not including meds for FET), and 6,000 to do genetic testing with an outside location.
Dr. Young did a thorough job explaining our options to me. He helped us come to a decision to go forward with IVF.
Describe the protocols James Young (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I am in the middle of my IVF cycle now, so I am not sure the results yet. But I have appreciated that the medicine they wanted me to buy was almost exactly what I needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Everyone was extremely thorough and compassionate. I felt well cared for through every interaction.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I liked all the staff, the early hours they were open for appointments, and that they offered a counselor for free to any of their patients. I was slightly disappointed that they close at 3:30, but I understand that they have calls to make to IVF patients at that time.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had an appointment scheduled for a SHG at 10am, but in the appointment calendar at the clinic it was in for 8am. They could see in their system that I had been scheduled for 10 to check in but for 8am in a room for the procedure. I showed up at 10, and they did find time to fit me in for my procedure. I was thankful they made it right.

Treated 2014 - 2019
He [Dr. Dodds] is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants. ... Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though. ... The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what you would prefer/want-he is good at listening to your preferences and then adding in his professional advice.
At first I could tell he didn’t remember me or my husband but then as we continued to go there he now remembers us and it very friendly. Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
Nursing staff is amazing, always so helpful and never make you feel stupid or crazy for your questions or concerns. Always called with results in a timely manner and showed compassion.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They were always in the morning and usually very quick. It worked for me because of my drive and then I just went to work afterwards.
Retrieval with transferring 5 day embryo with ICSI and embryo glue was roughly $10,000. My meds were around $3,000 and my montoring was roughly $2,500
We wanted to transfer 2 and he was okay with that, he never questioned it but I think it was because he knew I had poor egg quality and wanted to better our chances.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested. I feel like for scheduling staff that they should definently know that. Thankfully I knew it was time sensitive and stood my ground.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.) ... He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time. ... No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done. ... He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. ...
Weaknesses: staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI] is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. ... It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. ... It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.): 1) The "European method". He explained this as "...if you want a baby ASAP, I can get you one using IVF. I call it the European method because it's cheaper and used more often in Europe. It's like the deluxe package". Or we could go the 2). Conservative route. Which would be try more medicated cycles and then IUIs and see what we could get to happen. But that we had maybe a 15-30% chance of ever conceiving this way. I was, and still am, diagnosed as Unexplained Infertility. I do not have PCOS, endometriosis, or diminished ovarian reserve, I ovulate regularly, am healthy, and all tests have come back in good range. I believe the only reason he said IVF was my best option is my age. He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. At one time he used the phrase "Well it's a good thing that's how the good Lord made you!" when discussing female reproductive anatomy. He commented on how "great" my husband's sperm analysis was several times. He called him an "overachiever". I left feeling hopeless, pressured to spend anywhere from $10-25,000 for IVF with them, and that my body was a complete failure. I never met with him in person again. I went through 4 IUI cycles in which he supposedly read the monitoring reports and made recommendations. It took me changing Drs to get a new protocol. He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time.
Go in confident. Do not let him pressure you to make decisions. Ask questions, and ask them again. Ask that you see him in person once in awhile to check in. Ask if he personally is monitoring your cycle. I doubt he will, but I wish I had demanded it more.
The entire office is impersonal, and you can see a different nurse, tech, or doctor each time. There is little to no consistency nor connection with your primary doctor. You are called through the same process each visit and can see others doing the same. I felt like cattle being processed for ultrasounds and IUIs. I was rarely referred to by name. Doctors who had performed IUIs on me, did not remember me from cycle to cycle. I once walked into the wrong consult room (down a long hallway, all doors look the same) and Dr. Dodds welcomed me in and asked me to sit down. He was in fact waiting for a different patient. He was not my Dr. that day, didn't recognize me, (note: he is considered my PRIMARY Dr. and has met me in-person) nor, apparently, the patient he was supposed to be waiting for. I excused myself and went to the Dr. I was seeing that day.
My first medicated cycle, he had me do 100mg of Clomid days 3-7. I produced 6-8 mature follicles. They recommended we switch to timed intercourse rather than IUI to avoid multiples. Then, I used 50 and 100 mg of Clomid days 3-7 (alternating days), with transvaginal monitoring on Day 1, and then closer to ovulation. We hoped to get 3-5 follicles of good size. I produced these each time, with some of them getting to a very large size---38mm was my largest. Ovidril was used to trigger ovulation and IUI was performed around 24-36 hrs later. I used progesterone the day following and for the next 14 days. I was not told that progesterone could stop my period from coming and I needed to stop after a negative test in order to allow myself to bleed. This lead to quite a bit of disappointment and heartache right off the bat. By the time we came to IUI #3, my lining was severely thinning due to the Clomid. I then started using estradiol to help build my lining. No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done.
A new person every time. The ultrasound techs were aloof and impersonal. They seemed upset to be there. The nursing staff would make recommendations or changes in the protocol which were in direct contradiction to the original protocol. I never felt confident when they told me to change the protocol b/c they did not seem sure or confident when I questioned why we were changing. It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Weaknesses: staff is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. I was crying with frustration in a consultation room once. I go myself back together and went to check out. It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. I had fulfilled my deductible. She continued to ask for payment for services that were coming back as "going to deductible". I understand business, and this is one, but I was very obviously upset and it was not an appropriate time to ask for these things. This is still a very emotional journey.
With medications, consults, 4 IUIs, etc. about $7,000. A 10 min conversation with the Dr following my ultrasound would cost me about $150 each time. Ultrasound: $120 ea. IUI: $1200 +.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Among many other things: I had to call in for over a week to get them to call my specialty pharmacy for a prescription that was time-sensitive. I finally left a pleading message which led them to call. I was left at the blood lab at 8 in the morning without my stat lab order being called in in the appropriate time. I had to call repeatedly for 30 min to get them to call the order in so that I could get my blood drawn, get the recommendation for the injectible meds that afternoon, and get to work on time. I had to call off and on for 2 1/2 weeks to get my records sent to my new choice in fertility clinic (CNY Fertility; $3900 IVF. They are also groundbreaking and amazing) ahead of my consult (I requested this 1 1/2 months in advance). I hope to never have to utilize them ever again. Ever.

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Shavell was very thorough from the very first consultation. ... When it was time to delve into the more difficult news, the information was provided in an informing and caring manner. ... The laparoscopy resulted in finding and removing stage 2 endometriosis. Dr. Shavell wanted to try IUI again now that we found a potential cause. ... Everything looked just fine for implantation and the mock transfer went smoothly as well.
The billing department and front desk staff [The Fertility Center of MI] have had billing miscommunications within their computer system. The front desk staff would have us pay off our entire balance and then I'd receive a bill for services we already paid for and they would say what we paid must have been applied to a different procedure balance. No one could actually identify the issue so we just paid what they said we owed and we haven't had a problem since.
Dr. Shavell was very thorough from the very first consultation. There was a lot of information to take in but it provided me with everything I needed to know and to further research myself. Any questions resulting from my research and conversations with others in similar situations were always received positively and answered appropriately no matter how silly some questions may have sounded. She was more available to the nurses than me, however. She did not conduct the 7 IUIs but still communicated with the nurses before starting the next round. Although she was not available to conduct my laparoscopy, she did my pre-op and post-op and made sure I was very comfortable and doing well. Most recently she did my sonohysterogram and mock embryo transfer and was very gentle and calming through the discomfort. She ensured all parts were in working fashion to proceed with IVF in the coming month.
If you feel like you need a face to face meeting, do not be scared to call and make the appointment. It can be difficult playing phone tag with the nurses who have to communicate with the doctors and then back to you. It can be time consuming, especially if you miss phone calls due to work or other daily activities.
Dr. Shavell was always kind and sensitive to the nature of our conversations. When it was time to delve into the more difficult news, the information was provided in an informing and caring manner. Our meetings weren't rushed. After providing a certain amount of information she always asked if I had any questions instead of dumping a ton of information at once and waiting until the end to ask if I had questions. It is always difficult to remember so much, but with the breaks for questioning between information, it made it feel more human and personable.
The first test I had completed was an HSG. Everything looked perfect with no signs of obstructions. Dr. Shavell mentioned there is some research showing women getting pregnant in the following three months. Unfortunately that was not the case for me. We started a cycle of clomid in December 2017 with a trigger shot of Ovidrel followed with an IUI. A negative pregnancy was the result. We continued with the same protocol for 3 more IUIs. Dr. Shavell provided statistics that show IUIs increasing positive outcomes after 3 IUIs, again they all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We had a meeting with Dr. Shavell to discuss the next steps. She stated she would like to see my egg quantity and quality response with a protocol of pills and injectables with IUI. We switched to letrozole pills as I started having very bad headaches and long lasting nausea with clomid, and added Gonal F 75 IU daily, triggered with ovidrel followed with IUI. We did this for 2 rounds and both resulted in negative pregnancy tests. However, there was an increase in the number of follicles and size. At this point I could not continue to see negative tests and chose to take a month off. We met again and discussed having a laparoscopy to inspect the outside of my anatomy. We had a good pre-op conversation consisting of laparoscopy information and IVF information. The laparoscopy resulted in finding and removing stage 2 endometriosis. Dr. Shavell wanted to try IUI again now that we found a potential cause. We did IUI with letrozole, gonal f, and ovidrel. Another negative pregnancy test. That was the final IUI. Being that I was provided with IVF information a few months prior, I decided to schedule an IVF consultation in January 2019. The meeting was with an IVF nurse and she provided all the procedures,medication, and protocol information Dr. Shavell wants me to do. I was scheduled for a Sonohysterogram and mock embryo transfer with Dr. Shavell February 7, 2019. Here she wanted to get a better view of inside the uterus to ensure there weren't fibroids, polyps, scar tissue or other abnormalities that would prevent implantation. Everything looked just fine for implantation and the mock transfer went smoothly as well. Dr. Shavell will carry out my egg retrieval and embryo transfer in March 2019.
The nursing staff was fairly easy to communicate with. In most cases I left voicemails for them and they would call back. Some of my messages may have been long and it seemed like they may not have listened to all of it at times. Regardless, they still answered my questions after getting them on the phone and mentioning it again. The nurses carried out the IUIs and were as gentle as possible and comforting. They were able to provide information regarding the seman sample prewash and postwash prior to the IUI. The IVF nurse who did my IVF consult was very thorough and informative.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a lot of staff so you may not always be familiar with who you are speaking to. The billing department and front desk staff have had billing miscommunications within their computer system. The front desk staff would have us pay off our entire balance and then I'd receive a bill for services we already paid for and they would say what we paid must have been applied to a different procedure balance. No one could actually identify the issue so we just paid what they said we owed and we haven't had a problem since. The clinic is very clean and well organized. Be aware, that some fertility clinics have separate areas for those with no children and not pregnant and those who have children or currently pregnant, this is not one of those clinics. You will frequently walk into the waiting room where there are multiple children per family. Anyone of the more sensitive nature may feel uncomfortable.
We do not have infertility insurance, however we do have coverage for monitoring and some procedures such as the HSG and laparoscopy which resulted in significant savings. Ultrasounds performed at one of their smaller locations (Mason) were typically $180 or $75 after insurance. However, if it was one of the Doctors that did the ultrasound as an ultrasound technician wasn't available, an extra $30 was added. If they were done at the Grand Rapids office, regardless of who did it, an extra $30 was tacked on. The bill would show it as a meeting, even though no meeting took place, it was just the ultrasound. IUIs were out of pocket. For the semen wash and the procedure it was $500 per IUI, we did this 4 times. Pricing changed and the IUIs were then $600 per, we did this 3 more times. The laparoscopy was a reasonable and fair price. For IVF, we will be paying $9,867 just for the procedures. This price includes the $1,850 we paid for a case management fee. We have a $8,017 balance due at the end of February 2019.
Dr. Shavell provided statistics on the success rates of single vs. Multiple embryo transfer along with specific criteria as to why a two embryo transfer is ideal for me. As I do not meat criteria for increased high risk pregnancy, we both agreed a two embryo transfer is ideal. She made sure to discuss the possibility of selective aborting if there were more than 2 or 3 developing babies.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was a billing issue. The front desk provided a remaining balance for specific procedures while the billing department had a different balance for those same procedures. We simply paid the billing departments balance and haven't had an issue since. Although no one could pinpoint exactly what procedures were outstanding balances when our receipts showed they were all paid. We basically paid just so it didn't drag on.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Dodds wants to try two cycles of hybrid medications with IUI to increase my chances of conceiving. I will be using Femara 5.0, and Gonal F at 450iu at 75iu per injection for a few days days, and a trigger shot of Ovidrel at 250 mcg/.5 ml He also gave me the success rates for all of the options that he gave me (such as, I could try Laproscopic surgery to check for endo but it would only increase my chances of conceiving by about 20%, or I could do the hybrid and IUI which on average 60% conceive within 3 cycles, or IVF which is a 60% change on the first try no matter if I have endo or anything else, with the added bonus of having egg retrieval and FET at the age of 32 instead of later in life, especially with my low ovarian reserve.
it is a nice sized clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo] but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds was very well spoken and personable, he told me the findings of my blood work and what was normal or abnormal and what he thought we needed to work on. He have me several different options as to what my next steps should be, but also rated them as what he would "suggest if I were his own child" . He made it very clear that he wanted to get me to what my husband and my goal of having a child in the most cost effective and healthy way possible.
He is very open and will explain anything that you want/need.
Dr. Dodds took the time to look at my information and decide what he thought was the best for me, he was caring but also to the point. He seemed sincere and concerned for my best interest in all aspects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Everyone was very sensitive and supportive, every time I go into the clinic I feel at ease and supported, everyone is very sensitive to the situation and you feel like they are all rooting for you to win
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
it is a nice sized clinic, but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
with no insurance coverage, my consultation was around $240, ultrasound runs around $275, medication costs Femara $6, Ovidrel $100 Gonal-F $450, Initial consultation was $375, Blood work all together was around $600
Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Dodds made me feel very comfortable and confident with his treatment plan. He told me all of the details and made me hopeful. The only thing that I wish could have done differently is that he would have suggested the hsg test before I started the Femara.... I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident
The strengths they [Fertility Center of Michigan] have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions.... The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask every question you can think of! There are no stupid questions!
He took the time to answer all of my questions and to explain the diagnosis of PCOS. He gave me hope with the treatment plan he decided and explained to me!
I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident with the diagnosis. He started me on Femara 5 mg for the first cycle. It worked but the second cycle we decided to add the trigger shot to take out the guess work of when I ovulate. Now this third cycle because I only had one follicle the previous two we increased my dosage to 7.5 of Femara with the trigger shot. I had one large follicle again. I have a consultation scheduled in a couple weeks if I am not pregnant to go over the next options.
The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned and so caring every time I call or come in for my appointments. They make the visits each month as enjoyable as they can be.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths they have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions. I can't really think of any weaknesses at this point.
I paid everything out of pocket. Consultation $250. Ultrasound $200 Nurse consultation $75
Treated 2018 - 2019
We felt she [Dr. Thakur] was thorough and helping us identify the issues as well as solutions. She followed up with us personally when she found out from the nurse that I was hesitant about the retrieval based on tests. She followed up directly when I had some slight concern of overstimulation (turned out I wasn’t ohss but she wanted to call to chat anyway). She called when she’d heard I was sick from the meds to see about adjusting them even though I’d commented I’d tough it out. She was available when we needed her by phone or office visit and was just really great to work with.
They [Fertility Ctr of MI] were overall a really great place to be working with. The few complaints I have are quite minor, they seem to be very busy and I get that but getting back to people on administrative stuff is not their strong suit. Getting record copy’s, talking to their billing department, finding out what paperwork is needed next all took longer than necessary. While the nurses and docs will call back within the day the office itself won’t call back for a fee sometimes, or forget to email paperwork or forms etc. so that part was frustrating.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We felt she was thorough and helping us identify the issues as well as solutions. She followed up with us personally when she found out from the nurse that I was hesitant about the retrieval based on tests. She followed up directly when I had some slight concern of overstimulation (turned out I wasn’t ohss but she wanted to call to chat anyway). She called when she’d heard I was sick from the meds to see about adjusting them even though I’d commented I’d tough it out. She was available when we needed her by phone or office visit and was just really great to work with.
Don’t hold back on questions because she will draw pictures and explain everything you just have to ask. In the beginning I don’t think I asked as much, with nerves etc and so wish I had as she was so great at taking the time to explain things to us.
She was great about sitting ya down and going through every detail of the process. We had a prior doc and felt like a number and this was a million times better. She was sympathetic, called to check in when she knew I’d been sick even though I hadn’t called. She was our team mate not our doctor.
We started with femara lightly and an IUI because we weren’t sure how severe the sperm motility was. She switched us to clomid and objectively gonalf to grow additional eggs and grow them more friendly to penetration by softer sperm as we didn’t have a lot of strength on our side. We tried different variations of that. We learned I react very very poorly to any progesterone and in the end canceled my retrieval to see what else could be tried safely before we did a retrieval and transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The nurses were mostly pretty great. There were times it felt like it was difficult hearing back and we’d play a lot of phone tag as they didn’t seem to answer the phone ever but because I was working I couldn’t always pick up when they called back.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They were overall a really great place to be working with. The few complaints I have are quite minor, they seem to be very busy and I get that but getting back to people on administrative stuff is not their strong suit. Getting record copy’s, talking to their billing department, finding out what paperwork is needed next all took longer than necessary. While the nurses and docs will call back within the day the office itself won’t call back for a fee sometimes, or forget to email paperwork or forms etc. so that part was frustrating.
Iui’s were broken between the lab and the insemination itself. Lab was $350, procedure $250 for a total of $600. Meds were usually sent to freedom pharmacy unless you requested otherwise. Consults were $350ish even though the nurse will always say on the phone 200 they always bill at the higher coding rate. Sperm analysis are $200, genetic testing is $100 for each spouse.
Describe Mili Thakur's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We had heard the field was cutting back on transfers but our doctor said that they still transfer two if we really wanted it or if we’ve down more than one IVF already.
Treated 2017 - 2019
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established....we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me
All of the nursing staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!... I believe the clinic overall is a solid one. I believe they have very fair prices, but I do wish they would look into Invocell IVF. This would give people like myself a chance at IVF due to the lower cost.... Each round of IUI ended up being around $800. IVF is expected to cost around $10,000 plus meds, anesthesia, etc.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Strengths-I do believe he truly wants to help his patients achieve the end goal of bringing home a baby Weakness-I believe he is a very busy man and I didn't feel as supported by him as I would have liked. I think he focuses the majority of his support on IVF patients
Speak up about your wants and if something doesn't sound right or applicable to your case
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established. We did 2 rounds of IUI, with the second ending in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic. We then took a break. Fast forward to 2019, we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me or were untrue.
We did 2 rounds of IUI with femara and Ovidrel. The rationale was that due to my husband's lower sperm count and motility, having more eggs and putting the sperm closer to them would increase the chance of pregnancy. I had one negative cycle and one pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic
All of the nursing staff has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!
N/A we did not do IVF
Grand Rapids
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward...He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc... With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation.
Because the doctors [The Fert Ctr] rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
He was very good at describing our treatment in easy to understand terms also providing pictures when necessary. He always made sure we understood before moving on to the next area. He took time to ask about what we do and got to know us a little bit and also joked around with us. It helped for us to both feel comfortable and we left feeling like we had some control over the situation again.
Doctor Young will go over everything you need but I think it is always good to know a little background on fertility treatments.
Doctor Young took the time to explain everything in terms that both my husband and I would understand, even drawing pictures at times. He made sure that we both agreed and understood the plan going forward and even took some time to get to know what we both do and joked with us. He made us feel comfortable during a tough discussion and made us feel like we had some small amount of control back.
Before we had met Dr. Young my obgyn had already had me try 4 rounds of clomid because of my irregular cycles. With that and my husband's low motility, he had us start with IUI, first having me take Femera so I would ovulate on time and possibly produce more then one egg, then going to an ultrasound to make sure an egg had formed, and then using ovidrel so they could time the IUI treatment even closer to ovulation. He also gave us ways to increase our chances such as reduce alcohol use, exercise, eat well, etc.
After my ultrasound the nurse sat down with me to do over the next steps for treatment. She made sure I was able to get the medicine I needed on time and that I understood what would happen going forward.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Because the doctors rotate to their other offices, it isn't uncommon that you talk to all of them at one point or another. I personally think that is a good thing, because I feel like I get all of their expertise involved in my care. Everyone is very knowledgeable in what they do and they are able to make you feel like you have control going forward and they give you hope again.
I don't remember the cost of the initial consultation appointment but the ultrasound and meet up with the nurse was around $250 and the actual IUI was $600. They gave me resources to get the ovidrel at a more reasonable cost, which was around $35.
Treated 2017 - 2019
He [Dr. William Dodds] had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful...[Dr. Dodds] is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
Everyone one at the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge...Egg Donor process was slow moving . they had us wait months for a certain nurse, who did not end up being there for our initial appointment. I like the clinic because they never are frustrated with things. they are completely understanding and show empathy every phone call, email, or visit.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Dodds I did recommend to my best experiencing infertility. Reason is that he is knowledgeable and can run several test that may determine a solution. He always makes sure we fully understand the steps in the plan and what are options are .
This process is overwhelming . Your head is foggy with anxiety , sadness and negativity. Before you go to the appointment, write down your goals and questions
Dr Dodds is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
when we first met Dr Dodds, I had miscarried three times. he understood getting pregnant was not an issue for us , but staying pregnant was . He had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
Everyone one at the clinic is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think that being drugs for me, ultrsounds, tests, consultations,egg donor. We are well over 50k

Treated 2018 - 2019
If you are looking for a fertility doctor that will cover all aspects of your health, (physical, mental and emotional) Dr. Mili Thakur is the right doctor for you. Her knowledge of the field and compassionate bedside manor will give you confidence that you are in the best hands. She wants nothing more than success for all her patients on the safest path...encouraged me to take multiple vitamins such as prenatal, CoQ10, folic acid, vitamin C, fish oil, D-3, vitamin E and Metformin. There were multiple injections I used such as Lupron, Progesterone, and other standard medications for IVF treatment. We discussed ICSI and Blastocyst as the best options for my pregnancy success.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] offers FREE counseling sessions with their in house counselor. They also have a monthly support group session that I have found helpful. The clinic is modern, clean and easy to access...The nurses give extreme patience with the many questions I've asked, sometimes multiple times. Their bedside manor also shows great compassion and understanding of the emotional roller coaster infertility dishes out. The nurses show incredible care with detail and being thorough.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During my time at The Fertility Center - Grand Rapids, Dr. Thakur has take incredible care of me through the many delays I've experienced. There were multiple surprises along the way due to my health, not any reflection of my clinic or doctor, such as surgeries to better improve my chances of pregnancies (tube removal and endometriosis removal). These issues were diagnosed by Dr. Thakur and she was able to change my medical plan to suit those needs. Dr. Thakur has been incredibly informative and empathetic. I feel Dr. Thakur truly cares about me and my opinion with my best interest and safety in mind.
Dr. Mili Thakur has amazing bedside manor. She has kept me feeling reassured and well taken care of. Her ability to deliver news, both positive and negative, with extreme compassion rather an only clinical view let's me know I am at the right office with the right doctor.
Dr. Thakur encouraged me to take multiple vitamins such as prenatal, CoQ10, folic acid, vitamin C, fish oil, D-3, vitamin E and Metformin. There were multiple injections I used such as Lupron, Progesterone, and other standard medications for IVF treatment. We discussed ICSI and Blastocyst as the best options for my pregnancy success.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have a limiting schedule with my career to allow for the many doctors appointments IVF warrants. The scheduling staff always found a way to fit my schedule. The clinic offers FREE counseling sessions with their in house counselor. They also have a monthly support group session that I have found helpful. The clinic is modern, clean and easy to access.
For an egg retrial, fresh embryo transfer and the medications associated with it, I spent roughly $14,000.
Dr. Mili Thakur has guided me through the process to the right decisions. Due to my age, medical diagnosis and preference, we have chosen to go the route of multiple embryo transfer with not more than 2 embryos.

Treated 2016 - 2019
[Dr. William Dodds] Updated me every step of the way. Even called me after egg retrievals to go over things and give me his opinion even after business hours...I believe he is a very compassionate caring doctor. Very knowledgeable and truely cares. Will do what is best for the pt and he listens to what you have to say. Will come to a conclusion that works for everyone involved...On the first round we only ended up with 1 frozen embryo. So with the second and third round we did the same dosage of Menopur decreased the Gonal F and grew the follicles bigger due to the fact I had a more immature eggs duing the first round.
The office staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very nice and helpful. They all are very compassionate and willing to listen and help you out. They began to know you by name. I think it would be nice to see the same physician when they are adjusting med dosages but besides that they do a wonderful job...Loved Robin [nurse] very informative and helpful. Could call her for anything When she would get back with you in a timely manner.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is great. And easy to talk to. Do not be afraid to ask questions or tell him how you really feel about something.
He always talked to me. Updated me every step of the way. Even called me after egg retrievals to go over things and give me his opinion even after business hours.
I used Menopur 75,Gonal F, (do not rememberdose)and added cetrotide and then a trigger shot. On the first round we only ended up with 1 frozen embryo. So with the second and third round we did the same dosage of Menopur decreased the Gonal F and grew the follicles bigger due to the fact I had a more immature eggs duing the first round. The first round 5 retrieved 1 frozen. Second round 7 retrieved 3 frozen. Third round 14 retrieved 10 frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin s)
Loved Robin very informative and helpful. Could call her for anything When she would get back with you in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office staff are very nice and helpful. They all are very compassionate and willing to listen and help you out. They began to know you by name. I think it would be nice to see the same physician when they are adjusting med dosages but besides that they do a wonderful job.
Monitoring was always done in the morning so if medications needed to be changed they would call you in the afternoon to let you know. It went like a well oiled machine in my book.
Well we are around 24,000 which includes 3 rounds of IVF, monitoring, medications, and some of our gestational carriers things are paid for.
No he said it was up to me and my gestational carrier.
Embryo Freezing
We are on our second round of testing through Yale doing the Endometrial Function Test [with Dr. Shavell]...treating the endometriosis by doing 2 months of Lupron prior to testing month. We are also adjusting estrogen and progesterone doses...is super compassionate. You can also tell that she wants to hear from you, how you are feeling and what your concerns are. She will take what you are saying and will fully consider how it could potentially be affecting your treatment. I also feel as if she has never given up on us, even though we have not yet been able to concieve. She continues to sign to try to figure it out.
When I first started going to the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] it felt unorganized. Since then, I have noticed that they have done a good job about putting out surveys and I feel as if they have really taken the information and made changes. The last couple of years have been much better...For the most part the nurses in the office are nothing but excellent. There have been times however where I have felt as if they were not familiar with my case or where I was with my protocol. When I would ask questions I felt as if rather than reviewing my filing and getting be solid information, I would receive some guess work. This has only happened a couple of times. For the most part they are on the ball.
As a patient, I would highly recommend her. She is well educated and compassionate. She has an awesome bed sideanner and you truly feel like she is listening. She also has so e a great job of trying to figure our case out by tapping into the knowledge of her partners and other fertility clinic.
When you do get time with her, ensure you write down all of your questions before hand so you don't forget anything. She is great but you don't get a ton of one on one time with her.
Dr. Shavelle is super compassionate. You can also tell that she wants to hear from you, how you are feeling and what your concerns are. She will take what you are saying and will fully consider how it could potentially be affecting your treatment. I also feel as if she has never given up on us, even though we have not yet been able to concieve. She continues to sign to try to figure it out.
Round 1 -Egg retrieval and fresh transfer using Gonal F, Menpur, and Cetrotide. - chemical pregnancy Round 2 Frozen embryo transfer using Lupron, Estrace, Progesterone. - negative Round 3 - Frozen embryo transfer using Lupron, Estrace, and resistant uterine protocol of ibuprofen, Xanax, prednisone. - negative Round 4 - Frozen embryo transfer, stimulation cycle using gonal. Thought was that I responded better to stimulation rather than suppression - negative Round 5 - Did an Endometrial Receptivity test prior to frozen embryo transfer. Showed I needed 12 less hours of prednisone if following previously used stimulation protocol. Negative Round 6 - Full retrieval with PGS testing of embryos followed by a frozen embryo transfer with previously suggested protocol from ERA. Negative Round 7 - yet to transfer. We are on our second round of testing through Yale doing the Endometrial Function Test. First round showed potential endometriosis and that I was taking too much progesterone. With this second round of testing we are treating the endometriosis by doing 2 months of Lupron prior to testing month. We are also adjusting estrogen and progesterone doses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When I first started going to the clinic it felt unorganized. Since then, I have noticed that they have done a good job about putting out surveys and I feel as if they have really taken the information and made changes. The last couple of years have been much better.
For all treatment thus far, we have spent almost $80,000.
Dr. Shavelle has always been very honest about how many embryos are recommended. It seems that the office has protocols as to how many they are willing to transfer in which situations.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As previously mentioned, I believe that changes have been made in the last couple of years to help make the clinic more well run and organized. There was one time where the MA failed to send in my prescription refill. There was one time where a nurse did not understand my particular case and gave me wrong medication information. Other than that, they have been great.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Young explained everything about our next steps in treatment in detail. He is straight to the point, but will answer any questions that you have. We never felt rushed in the appointment and were able to have all of our questions answered no matter how small it might be...He has so much knowledge...He discussed why previous treatments hadn’t worked and why he was recommending me to use oral medication and injectables. He discussed why my lab values and PCOS were affecting our fertility each month and how this new plan would help us overcome my medical issues. So far, I have not fallen pregnant, but I am positive that we will get the right treatment plan and positive pregnancy soon.
There are two nurses that I work with [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses...I don’t know if I have enough words to explain how much I have loved working with this clinic. The staff at the front desk remember me and my preferences, including that I like to pay my bill before I am seen, so that I can get back to work quicker. They are often running early for appointments. Everyone is friendly and caring and make me feel like I am being cared for every step of this journey. Scheduling is often quite easy with my work schedule. If I have to call and leave a message, someone is calling me back in less than an hour... This clinic has given me hope. Clinic Nps
Have a list of questions ready to ask Dr. Young. He has so much knowledge and was able to answer questions I wasn’t able to find from “Dr. Google”
Dr. Young sat down with my husband and I and explained my treatments in detail and kept asking if we had any questions or concerns throughout the whole visit. He truly listened to us and what we were looking for.
There are two nurses that I work with every time I go into the office. They are both so compassionate and make me feel like they actually care about each cycle and helping us start our family. They help to explain the treatment plan from the doctor and answer any questions that I might have. I never feel rushed when I am in with my nurses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have copays for every visit with the doctor. I often have $20-40 to pay after insurance for my ultrasounds/screen-scans. Medication has ranged from $10 per cycle to $175 per cycle after insurance.
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Shavell] has a very kind and caring demeanor. She is gentle while knowledgeable. I never felt like I was just another appointment in her book. She never seemed to be in a rush and always took time to answer our questions and give thorough explanations...We left every appointment feeling like we knew what was happening. Anytime we didn't get the result we wanted, she immediately came up with a plan of action which left us feeling confident, and in the end, got the result we wanted.
The entire staff at TFC were friendly, helpful, and professional...All of the staff are attentive and professional. The clinic itself is clean, organized, and welcoming. As my wife and I are a same-sex couple, we are always a little apprehensive about how we will be treated but this was absolutely a non-issue at TFC (thanks for the rainbow flag at the front desk!). We never had to wait too long for our appointments. Whether we were having a financial consultation, a sperm donor consultation, an ultrasound, or the procedure itself - we felt well taken care of and had an overall great experience.
Overall we had a great experience with Dr. Shavell. She has a very calming personality which is a huge positive for those undergoing something that is already anxiety-provoking, such as fertility treatments. She is thorough, knowledgeable, and always took the time to speak with us. She answered all questions no matter how big or small. We left every appointment feeling like we knew what was happening. Anytime we didn't get the result we wanted, she immediately came up with a plan of action which left us feeling confident, and in the end, got the result we wanted.
If you are looking for a doctor who is calm, warm, sympathetic, and attentive, Dr. Shavell would be a great fit for you. Her quiet nature is immediately calming and reassuring. If you prefer a doctor who is a little more firm or hard-lined, she would not be a good fit.
Dr. Shavell has a very kind and caring demeanor. She is gentle while knowledgeable. I never felt like I was just another appointment in her book. She never seemed to be in a rush and always took time to answer our questions and give thorough explanations.
We tried a natural cycle for our first IUI. Actually, I miscalculated my ovulation and when we went in for our mid-cycle ultrasound, we learned that I had already ovulated and it was too late. Dr. Shavell reassured us that we could try again the following cycle, which we did. She had me come in earlier, and quite often throughout the week, to track follicle growth to ensure we didn't miss the window of opportunity this time. I was prescribed the trigger shot (Ovidrell) to administer at midnight on a Saturday so that we could do the IUI on a Monday. Dr. Shavell was the one to perform the IUI. It was a simple and quick procedure. Unfortunately we did not get pregnant from that try. A few months later we tried for the 2nd time with similar protocol - ovulation tracking through an OPK in the mornings and then tracking follicle growth via ultrasound as the time grew closer. There was no need for a trigger shot this time; I ovulated on a Thursday morning and went in right away for the IUI (which was performed by a nurse, not Dr. Shavell). The nurse inserted a mesh plug after the procedure. Two weeks later we got our positive result!
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Francillia (Fran) Tavernier)
The entire staff at TFC were friendly, helpful, and professional. We worked the closest with Fran, who showed great communication and compassion. We really developed a positive relationship with her and felt like she truly cared about us and our journey. Fran was always available via phone or email and would check in with us often.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
TFC is a wonderful clinic. All of the staff are attentive and professional. The clinic itself is clean, organized, and welcoming. As my wife and I are a same-sex couple, we are always a little apprehensive about how we will be treated but this was absolutely a non-issue at TFC (thanks for the rainbow flag at the front desk!). We never had to wait too long for our appointments. Whether we were having a financial consultation, a sperm donor consultation, an ultrasound, or the procedure itself - we felt well taken care of and had an overall great experience.
We used all of the money from our wedding to cover our costs, so we did not have to pay out of pocket. If I had to do an overall estimate of the total cost, it would be about $10,000.

Treated 2014 - 2019
Dr. Shavell has a very gentle and patient bedside manner. She has a way of putting the anxious mind at ease and is very accommodating to any special needs...As a woman who has gone through several pregnancy losses, the promptness and compassion Dr. Shavell has shown me was invaluable. I am so grateful for all of her help and highly recommend her to anyone seeking thorough and compassionate treatment...has always honestly and thoroughly discussed my treatment options with me while demonstrating kindness and compassion. I was impressed by how thoroughly she reviewed and understood my particular infertility history prior to my initial consultation. She keeps in close communication with me and has always made me feel I could speak openly with her about my treatment plan.
The staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly and compassionate. The nurses are highly trained and a good resource for patients with questions. They usually can get me in for my appointments at my requested time and have always been able to bring me in for same-day evaluations in emergent situations...The nursing staff was always friendly and available. They were well-educated and able to thoroughly answer my questions.
Dr. Shavell has always honestly and thoroughly discussed my treatment options with me while demonstrating kindness and compassion. I was impressed by how thoroughly she reviewed and understood my particular infertility history prior to my initial consultation. She keeps in close communication with me and has always made me feel I could speak openly with her about my treatment plan.
Dr. Shavell took the time to thoroughly review my fertility history and discuss my options in a kind, yet honest, manner. On multiple occasions she went above and beyond for me, including staying into the late hours of the evening to care for me after my surgery and arriving before her scheduled office hours to evaluate me for bleeding while I was pregnant. As a woman who has gone through several pregnancy losses, the promptness and compassion Dr. Shavell has shown me was invaluable. I am so grateful for all of her help and highly recommend her to anyone seeking thorough and compassionate treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The staff is very friendly and compassionate. The nurses are highly trained and a good resource for patients with questions. They usually can get me in for my appointments at my requested time and have always been able to bring me in for same-day evaluations in emergent situations.