Tulsa Fertility Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
115 E. 15th Street
Tulsa, OK 74119
918.359.2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Tulsa Fertility Center to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 16Neutral: 6Don't recommend: 38.6
2 doctors
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The staff [at Tulsa Fertility Center] reviewed our history and were able to discuss health concerns from the beginning...I was overwhelmed by the amount of medical history that was requested BEFORE my initial consultation. I had no idea why they would need all of that two weeks before my appointment, but I learned after meeting the staff that they want to study and prepare so that the best form of treatment is presented for the couple's specific needs.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
I was overwhelmed by the amount of medical history that was requested BEFORE my initial consultation. I had no idea why they would need all of that two weeks before my appointment, but I learned after meeting the staff that they want to study and prepare so that the best form of treatment is presented for the couple's specific needs. The staff reviewed our history and were able to discuss health concerns from the beginning.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr McKinney never rushed our appointments and she answered every question in a manner we were able to understand. She provided information on all options and allowed us to choose the one that made the most sense for our family. I was afraid we would be required to do several rounds of IUIs before we would be allowed to explore IVF, but due to our diagnosis, we were able to pursue IVF in the beginning. We spent seven months from our earliest blood test to the frozen embryo transfer - making the process much quicker than we had anticipated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nicole and Amanda)
The nurses were always accommodating at appointments and always passed along any questions or concerns to my doctor. The patient portal allowed me to communicate with the nurses on an as-needed basis and that convenient feature helped ease my mind when I had a question but wasn't sure to whom it should be directed.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr McKinney is the most intelligent human being I have ever met and her attention to detail was excellent. She never promised success, just that she would do everything within her power to ensure the highest chance of success which made us feel like we were more than numbers or dollar signs. Dr McKinney held my hand and hugged me when I cried at my appointments and she explained everything in a way that was not overwhelming. No one wants to walk through the doors at her clinic, but since we had to be there I am so glad we had her to be our guide through the infertility journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Write ALL of your questions down and ask every single one of them. So your research beforehand and be your own advocate. If you do not want to do certain things, be vocal. The doctor cannot read your mind. We knew we wanted to give ourselves the best chance of a successful pregnancy and live birth, regardless of costs and we expressed that in the beginning.
Describe the protocols Shauna McKinney used in your cycles at Tulsa Fertility Center and their degree of success.
10-12 days of stims: Follistim (50-250u) and Ganirelix (3-5 days) Follistim to stimulate the ovaries and produce eggs. Ganirelix to slow the maturation and allow the smaller follicles to catch up to the larger ones. Trigger shot of Ovidrel. FET: Birth control for one month before transfer. Approx 30 days of Lupron to suppress reproductive system. Estrogen patches, 1-4 changed every other day, to thicken lining during weeks before FET and through week 10 of pregnancy. Progesterone in oil 5 days before FET and through week 9 of pregnancy because the pregnancy was unnatural and the placenta had not taken over production.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center.
Egg retrieval cycle and most tests associated with cycle $13,000-$14,500 Egg retrieval medication: $7,500 FET procedure: $5,000 FET meds: $2,500
Describe Shauna McKinney's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Tulsa Fertility Center.
TFC has ethical and moral basis for transferring no more than two embryos during a cycle because excessive multiples not only endangers the lives of the fetuses, the mother's safety is severely jeopardized. For those seeking treatment, not in the advanced maternal age bracket, one to two embryos may be transferred.
Tulsa
The clinic [Tulsa Fertility Center] all together was great. I was informed on what I would owe at the next visit. The clinic was clean. A few times they were running a little late and I would have to wait but all together I got in and out of my appointments very fast....They do all of their monitoring appointment and labs the first appointments of the day.... I was very informed at every step of the process except for one. No one at the clinic informed me that I needed to have a full bladder for the SIS/TT. So when I showed up to the clinic I had to sit there are chug water. The staff did apologize that I was not sent the patient instructions.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
The clinic all together was great. I was informed on what I would owe at the next visit. The clinic was clean. A few times they were running a little late and I would have to wait but all together I got in and out of my appointments very fast.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. Prough was very straight forward with what was going to happen and your changes of getting pregnant. His bedside manner was great. Always smiling and asking how you are at every visit. He always explains procedures before and during the procedure. Dr. Prough also always has time to answer your questions. I never felt rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Johnson )
I was very informed at every step of the process except for one. No one at the clinic informed me that I needed to have a full bladder for the SIS/TT. So when I showed up to the clinic I had to sit there are chug water. The staff did apologize that I was not sent the patient instructions. The staff the would take you back to the room was kind of cold and not sociable. Every now and then there would be a different person that would help. Belinda, Dr. Prough’s Nurse, was always kind and helpful. The patient care coordinator, Amanda Johnson, always called me back in a timely manner and was very helpful. The front desk receptionist was very inviting and nice at every visit. Overall the staff was great.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
At the first visit Dr. Prough came off as very straight forward and a little cold. You could tell he was very intelligent but would break down information for you to understand. Every visit after that Dr. Prough was all smiles and very personable. I don’t feel at any point he gave us false hope. The whole IVF process is very confusing and can be difficult to understand at some points. Dr. Prough did a good job explaining the procedures to us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Don’t judge Dr.Prough by your first appointment. It takes some time to warm up to him. He is caring and compassionate.
Describe the protocols Stanley Prough used in your cycles at Tulsa Fertility Center and their degree of success.
In the beginning Dr. Prough said he wanted to do a fresh transfer because my hormones look good and my health is good. He did explain that if I became overstimulated that I would have to do a frozen transfer. I was on Gonal-F 150 units in the morning and 100 units at night. We went for weekly appointments to check labs and ultrasounds. I was on Cetrotide once a day for 4 days. I had some bruising from the injections but no side effects. When my labs and ultrasounds looked good I took my Trigger shot on 1/25/18 and did my retrieval on 1/27/18. On day 5 I had my transfer 2/1/18. The night of my transfer I started Progesterone I oil, which I would be on until I was 9-10 weeks. I went back for my pregnancy test on 2/12/18. They called me that afternoon to let me know it was positive. They said I would have to come back in a week for another test. They informed me that I would be doing weekly ultrasounds with Dr. Prough until I was 9-10 weeks. After that I would be released to my doctor. The Progesterone injections make me a little nauseous and the bruising in painful. I will happily continue the injections to keep my little miracle healthy.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Tulsa Fertility Center.
Monitoring appointments were hard on my work schedule. They do all of their monitoring appointment and labs the first appointments of the day. This worked out perfect for my schedule because I could get here early then get backboard to work by noon. I live 2 hours from the clinic so it’s difficult because you are spending 4 hours driving for every appointment. At one point I was going for monitoring appointments every other day. The appointments were only about 15 minutes and it flowed well. My work worked well with me which made this process even easier.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center.
All of my appointments before starting IVF were approximately $300 every visit. My insurance did not pay for anything. My SIS/TT was $895. My genetic testing was $80. We paid $10,000 for IVF and $5,600 for medication. We have had to refill the Progesterone in oil twice which is $120 for 2 vials. My last 2 visits with Dr. Prough have been OB Ultrasounds and I paid $198 for both. I have 2 more OB ultrasounds, which will be $198 a piece, then I will be released to my doctor. On top of all of those costs I also have to pay for gas for every visit. I drive a total of 4 hours for each appointment and miss a half day of work, sometimes a whole day of it’s a later appointment.
Describe Stanley Prough's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Tulsa Fertility Center.
From the first visit Dr. prough made it very clear that he will only transfer a total of 2 embryos. He was fine with transferring one but would not do more than 2. My husband and I were completely fine with this information because we would not want to transfer more than 2. That is not safe for the mother or baby. I only transferred one embryo because that is all that I had. We did not have any to freeze.
Tulsa
I was not entirely impressed with the front desk staff at Tulsa Fertility Clinic, as the "face" of the clinic I would hope for more positive attitudes and enthusiasm. The phlebotomist is lovely and made the unpleasantness of having my blood drawn seem nil. The financial department was always very helpful.... staff is very helpful and easily accessible through the patient portal so I was always able to ask all of my questions when I remembered them
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Dr. Prough is very "cut to the chase". He was frank and honest with us after we had suffered through infertility for 5 years, while I didn't necessarily feel like just another number to him I would certainly say that he keeps his emotions out of his work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Yesenia)
Yesenia has never been unkind but I have not been pleased with her communication, however, most of our communication has been over the patient portal and I recognize that sometimes that can be misinterpreted. While I believe that she is very efficient at her job, I felt that Yesenia lacked the kind of warmth and compassion that I had hoped for during this sensitive and emotional time of my life.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
We met with Dr. Prough after our 6th failed IUI and our 12th failed medicated cycle, he was clearly agitated with the over 200 pages of my medical history and he was very frank with us in telling us why every other treatment we had done had not worked and why my previous doctors had been wrong. As you can imagine, I was overly emotional in our initial meeting and I misinterpreted his honesty. I now know that his frustration was not with me but with the unnecessary things I had been put through. During my appointments Dr. Prough is thorough but he is expedient, he certainly doesn't hold your hand through every step. He answered every question and concern that I had and never made me feel like a burden but, often, the appointment was over before I could remember my questions. (His staff is very helpful and easily accessible through the patient portal so I was always able to ask all of my questions when I remembered them.) I am now nearly 6 weeks pregnant after our FET and I have no doubt in my mind that it is due to Dr. Prough's expertise. There was never a surprise during my cycles and he seemed to be able to anticipate exactly what my body would do. While I know that his style of "doctoring" might not be everyone's cup of tea, I would absolutely recommend him to anyone who is experiencing infertility because I believe that if he could help almost anyone to achieve pregnancy. He may come across as cold but I see him as a no-nonsense doctor who truly wants his patients to reach their goals.
I would advise any new patient to go in with an open mind and to expect complete honesty.
Months before we started stims, Dr. Prough chose for us to do a FET because of the likelihood that I would experience OHSS due to my PCOS. I started Gonal-F on November 21st of 2017 and 2 weeks later he had me add Cetrotide before prescribing me 2 Lupron trigger shots for my December 5th retrieval. It's my understanding that he chose for me to do 2 triggers because patients with PCOS are harder to trigger. After my retrieval my estradiol was over 3500 so his choice for me to do a frozen transfer was spot on. I started Lupron on February 2, 2018. He then added baby asprin, SEildenafil, and Estradiol on the 13th. I finished the Sildenafil and Lupron part of the protocol on the 27th and he had me start the PIO on the 28th in preparation for my March 5th transfer. On March 15th my 1st HCG Beta was 100.8 and on the 22nd it had risen to 3136.3. I will be 6 weeks pregnant on the 29th and will have my first ultrasound.
Tulsa
They [Tulsa Fertility Center] make u feel like u matter and are very important like u are their only patient. They are very honest and very helpful. They are quick at getting tests or procedures set up and very nice and caring staff.... Every time I had a question or needed anything they answered it and was very helpful and very quick response time. If i needed anything they set it up as quick as they could. Very detailed and explained things well.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
They make u feel like u matter and are very important like u are their only patient. They are very honest and very helpful. They are quick at getting tests or procedures set up and very nice and caring staff.
He always explains very well and detailed and will talk to u as long as needed. Never felt rushed like just another number to get in and out. Very helpful and understanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jazzmine)
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. Prough was very detailed and went over every single aspect so u knew exactly what was happening or going to happen. Was very good at listening or answering any questions to make u understand in case u didn't. Was very honest and didn't beat around the bush.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
From day one we sat down and went over every detail and talked about what we have previously done. He then was very eager to start in on blood test, egg test, sperm test and numerous u/s with me having a irregular menstrual cycle. we previously did Clomid, and femara with our 1st doctor we did from 50 to 200 on Clomid and that didn't work. then we did one round of femara and they sent us to Dr. Stanley Prough. We currently have done every test and everything needed with Dr. Stanley Prough. All we are waiting on now is trying to figure out funding so we can start IVF then we can proceed to trying to complete our family.
I don't remember what everything cost exactly off the top. Had to pay for egg test, sperm test, genetic testing, every ultrasound,medications, and a 25 copay every time we had an appt and many other expenses.
yes he said when we got to that he would only implant 2 at a time.
Tulsa
Jazmine is the sweetest, most sincere nurse [at Tulsa Fertility Center] I've EVER worked with in my life! She's compassionate, caring, thorough, & effective in her treatment. If anything, I miss going to Tulsa to see her...she was the best!!!!!... I think this clinic is really good at what they do! I think they're efficient & caring. The front desk staff (Jamie) is on task, my nurse (Jazmine) is great, & Dr. Prough is awesome to work with as well. It's been a good experience working with that team...they're just so far away from us (2 hours) & the cost of treatment was wearing us down a bit.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Dr. Prough was very up front with all treatment...very direct. He never made me feel sorry for myself & was totally understanding in my frustrations with not being able to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jazmine)
Jazmine is the sweetest, most sincere nurse I've EVER worked with in my life! She's compassionate, caring, thorough, & effective in her treatment. If anything, I miss going to Tulsa to see her...she was the best!!!!!
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. Prough was fair in his treatment. I was a little dismayed by his once commenting that because of my age (39 at the time), my eggs may be old, because I know plenty of women my age that conceive all the time. But other than that, he was always direct, open, honest & compassionate in my care. Dr. Prough is a 'shoot-from-the-hip' kind of guy. He's caring without being too mushy & in his feelings & he seems to want your journey to pregnancy to be successful.
Be ready to take in a LOT of information very quickly! Dr. Prough can speak really quickly about some things because he's so well versed in his area. Write down terms you don't know and ask questions...he's receptive to giving more information as needed. But he talks fast, so be ready and pay attention!
Dr. Prough said I had a good egg reserve for my age, but he was just unsure of the quality of my eggs. I'd had 3 unsuccessful IUI's and he said the best way to know the quality of my eggs is to do IVF, where they can be seen &monitored more microscopically. After my last failed IUI, Dr. Prough was still confident in my reception of the fertility drugs (Clomid & Trigger shot), so he recommended another IUI, but financially, we didn't want risk another disappointment after 3 months in a row.
I paid for office visits, blood work, medications that were shipped to me, sperm donor, & IUI procedures.
Not applicable.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
At our initial visit [at Tulsa Fertility Center], we were instructed to complete our lab work and then we’d be able to schedule our treatment. After not hearing back for two weeks, the nurse asked me to schedule a follow-up visit, which we had been told we didn’t need to do. In addition, I was assured that all of our previous records had been received, but in this two-week-later communication, was told that in fact, not all of the records were received.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
At our initial visit, we were instructed to complete our lab work and then we’d be able to schedule our treatment. After not hearing back for two weeks, the nurse asked me to schedule a follow-up visit, which we had been told we didn’t need to do. In addition, I was assured that all of our previous records had been received, but in this two-week-later communication, was told that in fact, not all of the records were received. TFC was missing my most recent pap smear and my boyfriend’s test results. You would think that it would be simple for one professional to be in contact with another to ensure that all these records had been received. Instead, I wasn’t notified until two weeks after-the-fact, after being told that everything had been received, that they were missing my Pap smear result. In all, it took 6 weeks and at least 10-20 phone calls on my part to get that last little bit of information transferred, which of course, delayed our treatment for two months. It’s entirely possible that these were my last fertile months; my bloodwork afterward showed a decreased hormone level. I underwent many IUIs and two IVFs without any significant pain, so I’m not a wimp. However, there was one procedure after which I experienced such extreme cramping, I had tears in my eyes and could barely stand up. I hobbled out of my exam room and asked if they had any Tylenol or Advil, and not one person looked up from their computer or offered to help me up front.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
We underwent several IUIs, a cancelled IVF, and a failed IVF before Dr. McKinney happened to mention that in addition to advanced maternal age and low AMH (which was normal before the two-month delay we experienced after starting with TFC), we also had a problem on the male side. His test results indicated that he was on the very low end of the range for a particular number (but in the “normal” range according to the report we have), and we were never told that it was a problem until our post-failed-IVF appointment. Dr. McKinney couldn’t believe that she never mentioned it, and just stated, “Well, that’s why we were doing ICSI,” but did not express any sympathy as to why were upset that we weren’t told specifically prior to that point.
Don't go here unless you like to feel like a statistic.
I used the Ganirelix protcol with Follistim to stimulate ovarian production. My first attempt only produced 3 eggs, so she adjusted the next round to increase the dosage. I never felt that the doctor was able to manipulate her decisions or set expectations based on my specific situation.
First round was covered by insurance, 2nd was about $15,000 (Including meds) because we had reached our insurance max.
Tulsa
Patient education [at Tulsa Fertility Center] needs to be improved greatly. All the info they give you is electronic so you can't really ask questions if you're not sure about something...I almost had to wait till the next month to get started because they did not get my prescription of provera called in to the pharmacy when they said they would.10,740 for the basic IVF with ICSI 4,500 for meds 895 for trial transfer/SIS And probably 2000 more for the Ovarian Reserve test and others test/appts.
Latino, Other
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Patient education needs to be improved greatly. All the info they give you is electronic so you can't really ask questions if you're not sure about something.
She was very empathetic, having gone through infertility herself. She said understood exactly what we were going through.
Very sweet.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
She doesn't spend much time in the room after the 'important' stuff was done. If you have questions be sure to have them ready and start talking as soon as she gets done. Nothing is explained as to what exactly she is looking for at the baseline/miscycle ultrasounds. She is very friendly and personable for the most part. I had one experience that kind of left me feeling disappointed with her. At my final ultrasound before trigger, 15 follicles were counted, however; only 8 were retrieved at my retrieval. When I asked why not more, she did explain that not all were mature but then proceeded to tell me that she wouldn't come to my work and question how I did my job. I was a little taken aback, but as I was still affected by the anesthesia, I didn't say anything more. I really like her overall but that one comment just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Have your questions written down and don't be afraid to speak up.
No rationale was given to me, the patient, as to why certain medications were used instead of others. Overlapped BC and 10ui Lupron for 4 days then only 10ui Lupron for 7 days. Lowered to 5ui after that. Added in 200ui AM and 150ui PM Folistim and Dexamethosone for 9 days. Trigger at 11pm on day 10. Retrieval in day 12. Started Doxycycline and Medrol for 5 days. I had 15 follicles, 8 eggs, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 1 made it to day 5 transfer. Waiting now for beta.
We didn't have the option of transferring more than one as only one made it to day 5.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
They [Tulsa Fertility Center] have all been so kind and understanding. I found out today that most of the employees in the office have gone through fertility treatments of some sort. That means a lot to me because it means they really understand the process...It is very organized. I've been in and out quickly which is important to me because we travel 2 hours one way for appointments. Even though it's a quick process, I've NEVER felt rushed. They always take time to answer any questions we have.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
She relates to what we're going through and really listens to and answers all questions we have no matter how long it takes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Johnson)
They have all been so kind and understanding. I found out today that most of the employees in the office have gone through fertility treatments of some sort. That means a lot to me because it means they really understand the process.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. McKinney is very personable. She's very candid with you and relates to you as a patient. I've always felt valued as a patient and that she's looking out for my best interest to help us start a family.
Know that she will be very candid and doesn't sugar coat the information she's telling you.
We've gone through 4 IUI cycles in which we used follistim and ovidrel. After the 4th, we decided to move on to IVF with ICSI (to help with male factor infertility, low motility) using Follistim. Our first cycle was cancelled due to a cyst. We made it to retrieval during the second cycle but weren't able to transfer after PGS testing deemed the remaining embryos weren't of a good quality. After undergoing 2 surgeries (one to drain a cyst by my gynecologist and one to remove it by Dr. McKinney and her partner Dr. Prough) we started our 2nd official IVF cycle in late March. I'm currently on Lupron and Dexamethasone and stimming with follistim. We found out today during a mid-cycle US that we will still retrieve but have to wait to transfer due to issues with my lining. I'll continue to go this week until they are ready to retrieve my eggs.
We've paid close to $20,000 for all treatments and medications.
Tulsa
The worst part of my experience at Tulsa fertility was one of the nurses of Dr. Prough. She was horrible to communicate to and almost never understood the questions I asked through the online portal and then didn't answer the other half of my questions. She too assumed I knew all of this prior to even doing any of it.... And it was always about the money at the front desk and half the time if you asked them a question they would tell me to ask my nurse.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Again, like I have said it mainly has to do with them assuming that we knew what door to go to or where to sit to get my blood drawn. And it was always about the money at the front desk and half the time if you asked them a question they would tell me to ask my nurse.
There were some times that it was personalized and other times where they were so busy that I felt like just another number walking in and out of the door to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Belinda)
The worst part of my experience at Tulsa fertility was one of the nurses of Dr. Prough. She was horrible to communicate to and almost never understood the questions I asked through the online portal and then didn't answer the other half of my questions. She too assumed I knew all of this prior to even doing any of it. Because of her lack of putting in the request for the IUI patient ed stuff we were put off weeks before we could start.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. Prough knows his stuff. He has been doing this for years and you can tell that he is experienced in the field of fertility. He knew what was wrong with me before doing the testing. He was professional to an extent, there were some comments that were questionable. He was not always clear on what was going on. He kind of assumed someone else would tell us or that we already knew. We decided to do IUI first even though he said that IVF was the way to go with our issues. I wish he would have pushed more with IVF and explain that it is the only thing that will work but instead we wasted money doing IUI. Sometimes he was talkative and sometimes he was not. When it was a busy day it his bedside manner would take a back seat and he would be all professional to do what was needed and be done. The biggest thing with him and his comments were that he made me feel like a kid who makes bad choices. With that, I respect him because of his knowledge.
It takes a little while to warm up to Dr. Prough and the way he runs things. Listen to what he has to say while also ignoring his snide comments.
He ordered for me to be on clomid and I questioned that because I had been on it for four rounds previously when he said that he wanted to use the ultrasound to see what clomid did, so I said okay. We did two rounds of IUI with this along with a trigger shot (Ovidrel) to make me ovulate. He did suggest from the results that we had to go straight to IVF, but we did not feel like he exaggerated enough the seriousness of how much we would need to do IVF. His response was that it wont hurt to do IUI. If I had known how serious it was that we needed IVF that is what we would have chose first.
At the time of seeing Dr. Prough, we had fertility coverage on our insurance so the first appointment of $290 was covered except for our $80 copay. Then he requested an ultrasound that cost $465 that my insurance eventually ended up paying so we had credit that helped for the first IUI and appointments then our second IUI insurance paid most except $385. Between blood draw fees and copays with all the appointments we spend almost $1,200 at this clinic.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Everyone from the front desk to the transfer staff was unfriendly, talked to you as if you should know what they know, made you wait until the last minute of the day to return a call or email, any information that was given to you had no page numbers or sections of when it is applicable to your cycle so you were stuck rereading 40 pages everytime you had a question because you never knew what page it would be on, the nurse who called me to tell me my transfer did not result in a pregnancy was the most chipper, and happy person, as if she was calling to tell me I won the lottery, but then said it didn't take and wanted to schedule a follow-up with the Doctor in the same breath. Highly inappropriate with ZERO compassion. I hated every interaction with the staff.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
I feel the clinic and staff are stuck in the late 90's with their technology and knowledge. Their support and office structure is not set up to make patients feel accommodated and cared for. Everything from the awkward waiting room to the billing, and the final results makes you feel like a number and all they want is your money.
He was professional, not warm or cold. Just doing his job, I respect that.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
He would go into details on complications, medicine, and the plan if pressed but doesn't seem to subscribe to updated science and technology. He didn't want to change protocol after retrieving fewer eggs than he originally thought he could get. Just wanted to try the same thing again, expecting different results. He's old school, and it shows.
Record your conversations so you can research and discuss your concerns at the next visit.
Follistim 200 units 2x a day, Ganirelix 250 mcg I had 12 eggs, 7 were empty, 3 were too mature and 2 became 5 day Blasts. He originally thought we could get 6 good eggs. But when pushed it took him 2 meetings to agree to up my meds to 250 and retrieve one day earlier.
Around $15,000. $5,000. of which were meds.
Tulsa
Strengths-everyone [at Tulsa Fertility Center] was super sweet and supportive. They always greet you with a smile. I feel like they personalized your experience. They got to really know us and our situation...They got us in very quickly for our first appointment. Went in for the first time in January and started treatment the next month when my cycle started...Nichole was amazing. Always greeted us with a smile and would help us with any questions we had.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Strengths-everyone was super sweet and supportive. They always greet you with a smile. I feel like they personalized your experience. They got to really know us and our situation. Which to me was nice. I didn't feel like I had to keep repeating myself everytime I went in. They got us in very quickly for our first appointment. Went in for the first time in January and started treatment the next month when my cycle started. Weaknesses-I can't say I really have any.
Dr. McKinney showed she really cared about us during treatment. She always listened to our concerns and talked us through the process the entire time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nichole)
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. McKinney always had a smile on her face and always welcomed me with a warm hug! She was super sweet and super helpful during the entire process. I never felt like any question was to small and she always reassured me every step of the way. There were only a few appointments I didn't see her. And only for small stuff like blood draining and sonograms. Every big appointment she was there and sat and listened and answered every question. I still feel like I can call her for any questions or concerns.
Ask all the questions you want no matter how silly you think they are. She will answer each one and reassure you there is no silly questions.
My body responded very good to the treatment Dr. McKinney wrote up. I started out taking birth control and after a month I started Lupron injections to help suppress my system. After a week or so of that injection we added Gonel-f. I would take an injection in the morning and in the evening. I stemmed for 11 days. At that time I was told I could use the trigger shot. My body responded great. I went in for egg reieval and they collected 16 eggs. Out of the 16, 11 were mature and 7 fertilized. We did a 5 day transfer of two embryos. Unfortunately we miscarried a few weeks later.
We had amazing insurance so I just paid a co pay. But the medication if I didn't have insurance would have been between 5,000-8,000 depending on the treatment plan. I believe the ivf process would have been around 10,000-13,000.
Tulsa
So far the only gripe I have is the financial department. They [Tulsa Fertility Center] have not explained things very well for my upcoming IVF process. Even after I have told them how I need information for loan reasons. They would wait over a week before responding to me.... All nurses have been very sweet. However, they will only communicate via the Patient Portal which can be confusing and difficult at times
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
So far the only gripe I have is the financial department. They have not explained things very well for my upcoming IVF process. Even after I have told them how I need information for loan reasons. They would wait over a week before responding to me. Just frustrating when it’s such a time sensitive event
Dr Prough has always been very sensiive and honest with us.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
We were completely blind going into first see Dr Prough. His approach is thourough and he want you to know every in and out of the process. He also helped me to stay hopeful during such a daunting time
Be prepared to get the entire truth. He is so honest but he honestly wants the same goal you do
First IUI: Letrozole for 5 days, followed by 50 units of Follistem and Ovitril trigger. Progesterone suppositories on day 4 after IUI. Result: negative test Second IUI: Letrozole for 5 days, followed by 75 units of follistem and Ovitril trigger. Progesterone suppositories on day 2 after IUI. Result: negative. SIS following second IUI and no issues Third IUI: same as second
My insurance (United HealthCare) doesn’t cover fertility treatment. Every thing has been out pocket. Each visits has costed anywhere from $180-$250 not counting the actual treatment and meds
Dr Prough said he wants us to do a FET and will do a single transfer
Tulsa
I realize the nursing staff [at Tulsa Fertility Center] is busy, but sometimes I do feel like a number to them. They always answer my questions, but I feel like I'm annoying them at times. But they are friendly and helpful....The front end of office isn't that organized. I had a very difficult time getting started because no one will answer the phone when you call and if you miss their return call you end up playing phone tag. But once you get on the schedule and past the intake coordinator, it's better.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Dr. McKinney made me feel like I was her only patient while talking to me. She gave me individualized care and took my questions and suggestions seriously.
I realize the nursing staff is busy, but sometimes I do feel like a number to them. They always answer my questions, but I feel like I'm annoying them at times. But they are friendly and helpful.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
I thought Dr.McKinney was up front, direct, and a realist, but also had compassion for my situation at the same time. I feel like she cares about me and my family even though we are one of thousands of patients she sees.
Ask questions because she'll take the time to answer them. Also make suggestions or ask if something should be considered. She will let you be your own advocate without making you feel crazy.
With DOR, I began on a mini ivf cycle and a birth control priming protocol. So, I took BCP, then Clomid for 10 days then gonal f on days 8, 10 and 12 with trigger on day 15 and retrieval on day 17. I am on an estrogen priming protocol with micro dose flare. I don't have my flow sheet yet.
For a mini ivf cycle, I paid about $11,000, including meds. For normal ivf, it's $18,000 with meds. These also include PGS testing.
We haven't discussed this yet.
2012 - 2015
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
2012 - 2015
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I always felt like I was treated as an individual with my own infertility issues, and not just another patient. Everyone was always very sincere, caring, and helpful. When a doctor and nurse cry with you over a miscarriage, and even holds your hand until you fall asleep under anesthesia for your D&C, then you truly know that they deeply care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda, Kari)
Everyone makes you feel very comfortable when you are at their facility. Bed side manner has always been one of my top priorities, and the staff at TFC exceeds above and beyond.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
I couldn't have expected any greater experience. Infertility is such an extremely hard and difficult thing to experience, but if any light has come from it, I have had an incredible doctor to treat me through it all. She is absolutely amazing, and I don't know if I could say enough about her. She has stayed for hours to answer all the many questions I have had. She has was been very informative and given me all the options that I have available. She is always optimistic, but yet never fails to inform me of the risks and reasonable outcomes. She is caring, considerate, kind, funny, and just an amazing individual who has been through infertility herself. I would highly recommend her to ANYONE who is needing fertility treatments.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. Knowing what you are going through and being educated about the whole realm of the situation can be very comforting.
2013 - 2014
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Everyone [at Tulsa Fertility Center] was kind and helpful. My favorite person in the entire facility was the older lab tech. She picked me up and was one of the most positive people I've ever met. I wish I had told her how much she meant to me, and I'll never forget her holding my vials in her hand and saying she was believing for a positive result. I was feeling so down and needed someone to believe with me. I looked forward to seeing her every time.
2013 - 2014
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Everyone was kind and helpful. My favorite person in the entire facility was the older lab tech. She picked me up and was one of the most positive people I've ever met. I wish I had told her how much she meant to me, and I'll never forget her holding my vials in her hand and saying she was believing for a positive result. I was feeling so down and needed someone to believe with me. I looked forward to seeing her every time.
Dr Prough was incredible. His excitement for our pregnancy was palpable. He was joyous during each ultrasound and such a light when I was worried.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
We couldn't have asked for a better doctor. He ran every test I asked for and then some. He was positive and determined to help us carry a baby. He immediately started a treatment plan for a huge cyst I had and did other tests while it shrank. His goal was for me to conceive quickly, and as soon as he shrunk the cyst, we jumped into our first cycle and we did. He wanted IUI but was okay with our plan to try injectables alone first while we saved up. We conceived the first try. He was so reassuring at every appointment. I had a lot of trauma from past OB's standing by and watching as I miscarried multiple times, and he was so understanding of my fears. We're eternally grateful for him.
Trust his plan, but don't be afraid to try the smaller steps (like meds alone) first. And speak up for what you want because he'll listen and alter his plan to accomdate it.
2010 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Other
Everyone [Tulsa Fertility Center] is organized and very rarely does someone not know an answer. They are quick to find out if they don't know and the ball is never dropped. Everyone from the receptionist to the nurses and the doctors are extremely helpful....Our IVF cycle with ICSI was around $15,000, epididymal aspiration was about $3,000, anesthesia was $500 per person, FET was about $4,500... Most of our coordination was through our patient portal/online.
2010 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Everyone is organized and very rarely does someone not know an answer. They are quick to find out if they don't know and the ball is never dropped. Everyone from the receptionist to the nurses and the doctors are extremely helpful.
When we lost our first baby at 16 weeks he cried with us. When we lost our second baby at 16 weeks he cried with us again and did everything in his power to help us figure out why. He always remembered us no matter how long it had been since we saw him last.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center.
Most of our coordination was through our patient portal/online. She was wonderful and quick to respond.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr Prough became very invested in us and it just to make his numbers look good. He made us feel loved and welcomed. He cried when we cried and rejoiced when we rejoiced. Dr Prough went above and beyond with every visit to make sure we got the care we needed. He picked up where other doctors left off and fixed mistakes others had made.
No advice needed. He's great.
We used birth control, follistim, lupron, ganirelix, hcg, estrogen and progesterone.
Tulsa
They [Tulsa Fertility Center] return calls within a timely manner. They are good making sure new patients get in quickly...Dr. Prough takes the time to answer your questions and gives you hope everything will work out... He also explained everything to where we could understand what was going on. He also is really good at showing compassion, there were several times he would give me a hug at the end of the appointment and let me know we would figure this out.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
They return calls within a timely manner. They are good making sure new patients get in quickly
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
I came to see Dr.Prough to get a second opinion, after hearing nothing but bad news for 7 months. He looked at my chart said he wanted to do some testing and he would have a plan for us in a month. He kept his promise, he looked at our results and told us we were a perfect candidate for an IUI. He also explained everything to where we could understand what was going on. He also is really good at showing compassion, there were several times he would give me a hug at the end of the appointment and let me know we would figure this out.
Do it!! If you are thinking about a second opinion he is your guy! I was pregnant within three months of seeing him!!
Dr. Prough started me on a medicine so I would start my period, since I have PCOS I would never know when it was going to come. After my period they would do an ultrasound to make sure I had follicles developing. Then I started on fertility drugs. First clomid then follisum, then my trigger shot.
2011 - 2014
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
...TFCs team was awesome! They were always so kind and caring and rooted us on!
2011 - 2014
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Yes, TFCs team was awesome! They were always so kind and caring and rooted us on!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: yes, can't remember her name. she was great.)
They were so friendly and always positive. They emailed me personally for things they needed or called.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
He was/is an amazing doctor. He gives it to you straight and goes through every possible alternative before making major decisions, such as ivf. I appreciated his bluntness because I needed answers and to figure out why this was happening to me. I ended up having two pregnancies, one was with a fresh cycle, the other was a transfer and both miraculously got pregnant on the first try.
Be patient. It's a very long process of trying to figure out the reasonings of why you can't get pregnant. He will try everything he can to figure out the cause and give it to you straight. So be prepared for that. He is absolutely the sweetest. My insurance wasn't covering some things and he personally called my insurance company and tried to negotiate and writing letters of medical nessesscity to get it approved. He goes above and beyond!
Tulsa
I love Amanda [nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center]!!! She was warm and compassionate and always responded quickly on the portal...Some days were better than others [with Monitoring appointments]. Monitoring scans are always done in the morning, which was not convenient for my work...The communication between the different departments like finance and nurses and front desk was not very good. We often had to repeat our requests or repeat our situation to several different people. I have also had some nurses that were not very warm or helpful.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
I always felt like he understand the emotional side of everything and gave us realistic advice. It helped that he had been through IVF with his wife and had experienced it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
I love Amanda!! She was warm and compassionate and always responded quickly on the portal.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
He is always very honest and realistic with us and was warm and empathetic. I feel like he is up to date with current procedures. He was not very supportive of alternative medicine, which I would like.
Some days were better than others. Monitoring scans are always done in the morning, which was not convenient for my work.
He prefers to transfer single embryos unless there is are glaring issues that would indicate that multiples would be best. He is very clear about the risks of multiple pregnancies.
Tulsa
It can get very busy in there [Tulsa Fertility Center] , but they get you through very quickly. You’re never in the waiting room too long. Doctors and nurses are very friendly. The nurses were great, and helped me to feel relaxed when I would get nervous before each ultrasound...Dr McKinney was wonderful. She always made us feel comfortable and she was always very thorough. We loved how she always “kept it real” with us and never gave us false hope. She’s very personable and really cares about her patients.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
It can get very busy in there, but they get you through very quickly. You’re never in the waiting room too long. Doctors and nurses are very friendly. The nurses were great, and helped me to feel relaxed when I would get nervous before each ultrasound.
Dr. McKinney was so great! She never sugar coated anything and was very thorough in her explanations of each step and what she was looking at and for with each sonogram. She gave us hope after a lot of disappointment and struggle. She not only cared, she really listened to us and didn’t ever rush during appointments. I would definitely go back to be treated by her, if we decide to try for another baby.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Don’t wait any longer to go see her.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
The nursing team [at Tulsa Fertility Center] changed all the time. They would only communicate through tbe patient portal, even though I was onsite for the appointment.... I felt as though the physician was good but office staff was not great. They were never very friendly. Also had the same experience with the financial counselor. All communication was done via patient portal.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
I felt like Dr. Prough did a great job making me feel like a human and not a number. I did get a different feeling from The office staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: I had several)
The nursing team changed all the time. They would only communicate through tbe patient portal, even though I was onsite for the appointment.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and took a long time in the room each time I saw him talking and answering questions. I did feel like the protocols are not very personalized. I had several failed cycles and nothing was adjudged
We did IVF, fresh cycle and put two embryos in, that did not work, then two more frozen cycles which also did not work. Not much was changed from Cycle to cycle.
I felt good with his approach.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Communication [at Tulsa Fertility Center] is great and everyone is friendly and willing to help...My clinic has a patient portal where we can talk back and forth. They are very quick to respond and communication is the key!...Dr. Prough is up front and very thorough. He makes sure you're comfortable with every procedure and explains things very well!... He also told us in the beginning that he would only transfer 2 embryos so we wouldn't have the chance of so many multiples.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Communication is great and everyone is friendly and willing to help.
He is willing to take time and answer all of out questions.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. Prough is up front and very thorough. He makes sure you're comfortable with every procedure and explains things very well! I would highly recommend him to anyone having fertility issues. I had to have a surgery before we could proceed with everything but I can trust he has my best interest at hand. One of my coworkers accually referred me to his clinic. She was blessed with a baby girl who is now in her mid twenties.
Do be afraid to ask questions.
We are under going IVF with ICSI and I fill like are chances will be much more successful. He also told us in the beginning that he would only transfer 2 embryos so we wouldn't have the chance of so many multiples.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
The clinic [Tulsa Fertility Center] is up front about cost of various procedures. They show compassion for their patients. They are a friendly face no matter what is going on. All staff communicated well with each other. They all seemed very supportive and open about LGBT families...Dr. Prough was always listening and showed us continuously how much he cared. He explained everything so well. When revealing our confirmed pregnancy he showed excitement and joy for us. It was so nice to know our doctor cared.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
The clinic is up front about cost of various procedures. They show compassion for their patients. They are a friendly face no matter what is going on. All staff communicated well with each other. They all seemed very supportive and open about LGBT families.
He listened to how long we had been trying with me to conceive and that I was emotionally exhausted. So my wife now wanted to try and conceive. He was very compassionate and was on board for our plan.
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
He is a very honest person he does not sugar coat things and we loved that about him. He loves to joke and make his patients laugh.
Our doctor was very open and let us decide on how many embryos to transfer. We decided to transfer 2 and he was very supportive and excited for our decision.
2013 - 2015
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological, Unexplained
Everyone on the staff [Tulsa Fertility Ctr] is knowledgeable and kind. Always smiling and you feel positive energy when arriving. I wish they had more financing options, but they were super helpful with recommending attorneys when we needed help with the donor egg process. They won’t leave you hanging.... Nicole will always have a special place in my heart! I saw her so much for a year straight and she showed compassion during our loss.
2013 - 2015
European, Native American, Other
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Everyone on the staff is knowledgeable and kind. Always smiling and you feel positive energy when arriving. I wish they had more financing options, but they were super helpful with recommending attorneys when we needed help with the donor egg process. They won’t leave you hanging.
He took the time to explain every detail of my balanced translocation and what options were available.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole will always have a special place in my heart! I saw her so much for a year straight and she showed compassion during our loss. Love her!
How was your experience with Stanley Prough at Tulsa Fertility Center?
He was blunt, but I appreciated the truth. I’m sure I asked some strange questions because I always researched everything before going in but he was open to what I had to say and my thoughts on different treatment options.
Be ready to hear the truth and all options available to you.
17,000 for the IVF cycle trying with my eggs(included PGD testing) 23,000 Donor egg cycle 11,000 frozen donor egg cycle
He always recommended single transfers but it’s up to the patients to decide
Tulsa
This clinic's [Tulsa Fertility Center] biggest weakness I believe to be the lab. The embryologists seem to be knowledgable and well trained, but our embryos did not do as well in the lab in Tulsa as they did in our second clinic in Dallas....This clinic had occasional issues with losing appointments when managing my care as a satellite clinic for my second attempt at IVF at another clinic in Dallas.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
This clinic's biggest weakness I believe to be the lab. The embryologists seem to be knowledgable and well trained, but our embryos did not do as well in the lab in Tulsa as they did in our second clinic in Dallas.
Dr McKinney is extremely warm toward her patients. After many failed transfers she cried with us and seemed to take our failures personally.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr McKinney is warm,caring and knowledgable. She was willing to try various treatments but was unable to help us achieve a successful pregnancy
We immediately went to IVF with ICSI due to male factor infertility and PCOS. We did not initially test our embryos but we were unsuccessful with our first IVF cycle which included a fresh transfer of two embryos and two frozen transfers of two embryos each. We had two chemical pregnancies from our frozen transfers.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled between 8-10:00 am. The clinic tried to accommodate requests for earlier appointments.
Tulsa
I had a good experience. [with Dr Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center]. I like getting to the point and straight facts. She was fact driven and I think catered to what I needed in a physician. When I found out I was having twins and started crying she became the caring physician that I needed at that moment....She's works fast so have all your questions written out ahead of time....She knew we needed IVF/ICSI because of my husband's low semen count from the beginning. She had ruled me out as a reason for the infertility. She based the timing of the retrieval on the number of eggs and my lab values.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
The clinic is very well run.
She was very honest about our changes of a live birth.
There was one nurse that I saw the most. I really appreciated her compassion and interested in our success.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
I had a good experience. I like getting to the point and straight facts. She was fact driven and I think catered to what I needed in a physician. When I found out I was having twins and started crying she became the caring physician that I needed at that moment.
She's works fast so have all your questions written out ahead of time.
Around 10,000 - 12,000