U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242
800-777-8442
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 10Neutral: 1Don't recommend: 19.4
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
[University of Iowa is a] Great clinic, short wait times. Great staff. The only issue is how long it can take to get an appointment. You get in fast for emergencies, and ultrasounds but general appointments can take a while. The staff is quick to return phone calls so they are always available...All of the nursing staff is simply amazing. Katie has stood out. She personally takes the time to really help me. I wouldn't have survived the emotional strain of the ectopic without her.
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Kresowik at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
She's very compassionate, and attentive. She makes sure all of my questions and concerns are addressed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care. (Assigned nurse: Katie luchtel)
How was your experience with Jessica Kresowik at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
She is a great doctor, she is very attentive, she listens to my concerns. She is also very straight forward with treatments and what is best for me. I feel she genuinely cares about her patients and does her best to consol us when we are faced with difficult situations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Kresowik at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Be open and honest with her. She is easy to talk to and makes you feel like a person not a number.
Describe the protocols Jessica Kresowik used in your cycles at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care and their degree of success.
We started with blood work. She diagnosed me with pcos and did the nessicary blood work to confirm. We started with metformin for the pcos and 5mg Letrozol to induce ovulation. I've conceived twice under her watch but lost both but it wasn't anything she did or didn't do. After that we took a break from trying. When I was ready to get back to it, she wanted to do another HSG since my ob did the first one. We found out my left fallopian tube was blocked. We then did exploratory lap surgery to check for endometriosis and try to fix or remove the tube. My tube was completely blocked because of endometriosis and there was evidence that it was also inside of my tube so she removed it. Once I healed we started back of Letrozol 7.5mg. Ovulated on my bad side 2 times. A miracle happened. I ovulated from my left side and my right fallopian tube picked it up and I got pregnant. Then came the bad news. It was ectopic in my only good tube. She wasted no time we did 2 injections of methotrexate and so far we have saved my tube. Due to losses and risks of another ectopic she wants us to move forward with IVF in the near future.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Kresowik at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Ultrasounds $350 Appointments $120-200 Surgery $10,000 IVF $16,000 plus meds
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Amanda and Allie [U of Iowa Ctr for Advanced Repro Care] were great - they were always punctual in getting back to my emails or calls and always had excellent customer service. I couldn't of done it without them as well. Gretchen, our ultrasound technician, was also amazing and so integral to our process.... This whole process is very time consuming - don't ever go to an appointment expecting to be able to get done quickly. This is a time investment along with all the other forms of investment you will be doing.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
I would of never been able to go through my tumultuous infertility battle without the support, guidance and help of Dr. Jessica. Her bedside manner is amazing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care. (Assigned nurse: Amanda/Allie)
Amanda and Allie were great - they were always punctual in getting back to my emails or calls and always had excellent customer service. I couldn't of done it without them as well. Gretchen, our ultrasound technician, was also amazing and so integral to our process.
I had a MMC and D&C after our second transfer and it was horribly emotional. I woke up from anesthesia and after seeing my husband the first person I called for was Dr. Jessica. Later once I was in recovery she came and talked to me and gave me the biggest hug while I was crying over the loss of my unborn daughter. I've never seen another doctor show the compassion that Dr. Jessica showed me. Dr. Jessica was spot on with all of my treatments and predictions as far as my egg retrievals went. I had immense trust in her to get us our baby into our arms and through our perseverance and her knowledge and care we achieved that in May 2017 with the birth of our beautiful daughter.
Trust her, ask all the questions you need to - but trust her. She knows what is best for you in getting the best results.
I have DOR due to endometriosis. My protocols were always Non-OCP EPP. (No Oral Contraceptives Estrogen Priming Protocols) to make sure to not make my ovaries TOO calm so they wouldn't react to the stims. I stimmed for usually 10-12 days. My first retrieval we got 11 eggs, my second we only got 5 due to a mistake by the retrieving doctor (not Dr. Jessica). My first transfer was a CP, seocond transfer (two embryos) was a MMC and resulting D&C of my daughter Anne. My third transfer (two embryos) resulted in a successful singleton pregnancy with my daughter born May 2017. I unfortunately have no leftover eggs frozen.
My first round was covered under insurance - but we still had to pay almost 3k out of pocket on top of that. We are about to undergo a egg retrieval for freezing needs and it will be about $8500 out of pocket and that does not include my meds we pay for separately.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The strength [of U of Iowa] is definitely the know and skilled the providers bring. I like the care team. It allows for multiple provider options so my care isn’t soloed into on providers perspective. Negatives is the lack of scheduling when you aren’t in a cycle. Sometimes it’s hard to see the provider you prefer or to even get in at all within a timely manner. This holds very true for the initial infertility work up (tests, HSG, consultations.)
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
The strength is definitely the know and skilled the providers bring. I like the care team. It allows for multiple provider options so my care isn’t soloed into on providers perspective. Negatives is the lack of scheduling when you aren’t in a cycle. Sometimes it’s hard to see the provider you prefer or to even get in at all within a timely manner. This holds very true for the initial infertility work up (tests, HSG, consultations.)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eyup Duran at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
The University’s IVF Clinic has really impressed me with the amount of compassion the staff hold for their patients. I have had multiple nurses and providers go out of their way to see how I’m doing. They seem to really care for their patients. Dr Duran was awesome! He was the main provider we saw throughout our IVF cycle. He was very personable and honest.
I had a couple of nurses go out of there way to call and check up on me. We have only had a couple nurses that my husband and I weren’t giant fans of due to their lack of communication.
How was your experience with Eyup Duran at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
My husband and I really appreciated the providers knowledge of my situation. He was very straight forward and blunt with us. He explained and talked me through procedures in detail, which I prefer. The only negative complaint I have is once we were completed with our IVF cycle we found it hard to get appointments with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eyup Duran at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
If you need additional information then what’s provided don’t be afraid to ask. Dr Duran always seemed happy to explain things further for my husband and I. Although he is an amazing provider, remember you are your own number one advocate!
Describe the protocols Eyup Duran used in your cycles at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care and their degree of success.
I was on a dual trigger protocol. Due to my age and weight there was worry for OHSS. I started with Folistim. After a couple of days we added in Ganirelix. As my follicles got bigger I started on Menopur. Lastly I triggered with HCG and Leuprolide. I had my egg retrieval 36 hours later. We got 21 eggs of which 20 were mature. 17 of the 20 fertilized and we had 17 left at my day 5 transfer. Of the 17 a few were falling behind and were poor quality. We were able to freeze 12 5 day blasts. I did a fresh day 5 embryo transfer. Overall I was very happy with our protocol and outcome. It surpassed my expectations. I had a pregnancy test 10 days post transfer that was positive. In the end we ended up miscarrying at 9 weeks due to a believed chromosome abnormality. We’re currently prepping for our first FET.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eyup Duran at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
I was lucky to have some insurance infertility coverage. This clinic does not allow any payment plans on infertility services. Depending on your insurance/or lack of coverage you are expected to pay up front. A medication administration class is require that insurance will not pay for ($150-$200 I can’t remember exactly.) Patients are required to pay for Cryopresorvation ($900) as this too is something insurance wont cover. If you intend to do PGS testing you must pay this up front as well(prior to IVF protocol start.) We opted for genetic screening of myself and husband instead. They go through a third party company that allows payment plans in the event your insurance doesn’t cover it.
Describe Eyup Duran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
We only had the option to transfer a single embryo due to my age and lack of historical challenges. The clinic has strict guidelines in order to be able to qualify for multiple embryo transfers. Most are related to age and previous failed IVF cycles.
Iowa City
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Jessica's nursing staff [at University of Iowa] was amazing. Amanda and Allie helped me through so much - and would facilitate in "talking me off the ledge" when I called or emailed freaked out or upset about a step in the process or results. They really dealt with me well. Their knowledge was always premiere and their compassion and bedside manner never lacking.... Expect your appointments to be lengthy. You cannot go into this process expecting to pop in and out of appointments. There are no weaknesses that I can think of.
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
My clinic treated me and my husband like family. My doctor held me when sobbing before going in for a D&C after my miscarriage. They never once treated us like a number - we were always individuals there to try and become parents, nothing less.
Describe your experience with your nurse at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care. (Assigned nurse: Amanda and Allie were my main nurses)
Dr. Jessica's nursing staff was amazing. Amanda and Allie helped me through so much - and would facilitate in "talking me off the ledge" when I called or emailed freaked out or upset about a step in the process or results. They really dealt with me well. Their knowledge was always premiere and their compassion and bedside manner never lacking.
Excellent bedside manner - extremely knowledgeable. She predicted our potential retrieval outcomes from the beginning based off my issues. Doctor was always realistic yet positive. Going through infertility and all it entails is a nightmare - having a doctor like Dr. Jessica to be the one holding your hand through it all made it possible. I am extremely science based and research oriented. I am an advocate for my own care and I didn't once question the path or decisions Dr. Jessica was making along our path. My husband and I cannot say enough good things about her. She is amazing.
Do your own research but trust her. She really is the best.
I had tubal blockage due to Endometriosis that was diagnosed after a lap which resulted in a salpingectomy of my left tube. Due to this I was also diagnosed as DOR. All of these factors resulted in me being put on a Non-OCP Antagon Priming Protocol. I had expected responses each time. Dr told me from the beginning she expected to retrieve about 10 eggs from me at retrieval. Each time was very close to that.
We had insurance coverage but we still paid over 12k out of pocket for our treatments.
Describe Jessica Kresowik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
The University of Iowa had strict policies regarding this. My doctor supported them as did my husband and I.
Iowa City
The clinic [University of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care] has off campus locations in other bordering cities, making it convenient for anyone who does not live in Iowa City, and may be closer to one of the other clinics. So, for an ultrasound or regular office visit, I was able to go to an office in the city where I live...All [nurses] were so positive and upbeat. One even hugged me after I told her we were going to move on to IVF. She was always rooting for us! Nurses would cross fingers for us, give us positive thoughts. It was always motivational going to my visits
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
The clinic has off campus locations in other bordering cities, making it convenient for anyone who does not live in Iowa City, and may be closer to one of the other clinics. So, for an ultrasound or regular office visit, I was able to go to an office in the city where I live, as opposed to driving an hour away for a 15 minute office visit.
Always very kind and personable. Always there to answer questions.
All were so positive and upbeat. One even hugged me after I told her we were going to move on to IVF. She was always rooting for us! Nurses would cross fingers for us, give us positive thoughts. It was always motivational going to my visits
Always made time to talk with us and to ensure we understood the process. Always kind and patient. We never felt rushed out the door. We were always told all of our options, and always had our concerns taken seriously.
Ask questions! She is more than willing to answer, but if you don't ask, you'll basically be getting very general information.
We tried IUI since it was male factor infertility. My husband was sterile from chemo, but we had frozen sperm before treatment. The thought process was that since there was no known female infertility, the pre chemo sperm may be enough to get pregnant. After 3 IUI's, we moved on to IVF. Our fresh cycle was not successful, but the next transfer with frozen worked! Since motility wasn't great in the frozen sperm, ICSI was performed, and it worked like a charm
My insurance covered most costs of IUI'S. We paid out of pocket for our medications for ivf, but qualified for greenlight rebate program. It cost us about 2k out of pocket for meds and. We ran everything else through insurance. Ended up costing around 1200 out of pocket after insurance
They prefer to only transfer one if you've never had a failed cycle before. There are other factors, like age and diagnosis as well. After a failed cycle, they will transfer 2, but I don't believe they ever transfer more than 3.
2011 - 2016
The nursing staff [at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care] was helpful with timelines and schedules. I often saw the same nurses which helped with consistency. They followed up with the doctor and got back to me as needed.... The clinic is clean, well organized, and timely. They have a good clinical team and the doctors work together for treatment. They have a dedicated waiting room which is nice for infertility patients.
2011 - 2016
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradley Van Voorhis at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
He addressed my concerns and questions in a straightforward and kind manner. He was honest about our odds, but respectful of our needs.
The nursing staff was helpful with timelines and schedules. I often saw the same nurses which helped with consistency. They followed up with the doctor and got back to me as needed.
How was your experience with Bradley Van Voorhis at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Dr. Van Voohris is extremely knowledgeable. He respects the patients wishes while also sharing likelihood of success. He involves the patient in decision making and is respectful of the financial and emotional issues involved in treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradley Van Voorhis at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Be sure to go in with the questions you want answered as he will be very capable of answering them.
Describe the protocols Bradley Van Voorhis used in your cycles at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care and their degree of success.
We used several different strategies including a standard cycle, a micro flare cycle, and estrogen priming. I felt they used the results from previous cycles to help make the best decisions for me. While we never produced lots of embryos to freeze, we were blessed with 75% of our cycles resulting in pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradley Van Voorhis at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Do not recall exact costs
Describe Bradley Van Voorhis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
I feel the doctors are very aware of the best way to get good results for patients that are safe and effective.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
A typical cycle [at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care] is 10,000 but they have a finance lady that works with you and your insurance!...They truly cared about us and wanted to do everything they could for us to get a positive cycle!...We will be going back to them for future transfers of our frozen embryos! We got pregnant on our first IVF cycle with the U we fully trust them and their protocol!...
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
The U of I is amazing!! We would recommend anyone to this clinic! They are the top of the line for IVF!! We will be going back to them for future transfers of our frozen embryos! We got pregnant on our first IVF cycle with the U we fully trust them and their protocol!
He truly cared about our cycle and wanting the best for us.
He knows exactly what he is doing and we fully trusted him with our experience! He kept us informed through our whole cycle and he made sure we were comfortable with everything that was going on. He did our transfer and he was very personable during the whole thing. He made sure we were in the know and knew exactly what was happening durning the transfer!
Fully trust him! He knows what he is doing!
A typical cycle is 10,000 but they have a finance lady that works with you and your insurance!
2007 - 2011
This team [at University of Iowa] is the best in technical expertise and patient care...[ the nurses] Great communication and support. Excellent response times...I did a fresh IVF cycle with single blastocyst transfer... Supported by amazing staff and at amazing hospital.
2007 - 2011
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Do not waste your time or money elsewhere. This team is the best in technical expertise and patient care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ginny Ryan at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Dr. Ryan explained everything, was compassionate, and got us the results we so desperately wanted on the first cycle.
Great communication and support. Excellent response times.
How was your experience with Ginny Ryan at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Without question, an expert in this field! I give Dr. Ryan my highest recommendation and I would return for future treatments. Patient. Understanding. Gentle. Available. Caring. Hard working. Reassuring. Expert. Supported by amazing staff and at amazing hospital. Answers questions thoroughly. Without question, an expert in this field! I give Dr. Ryan my highest recommendation and I would return for future treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ginny Ryan at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Trust Dr. Ryan.
Describe the protocols Ginny Ryan used in your cycles at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care and their degree of success.
I did a fresh IVF cycle with single blastocyst transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ginny Ryan at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Don't remember.
Describe Ginny Ryan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Dr. Ryan insisted on eSET because we had an amazing hatching blastocyst available. I was hesitant about this because I had experienced multiple fresh cycle failures in the past at another clinic. I put my trust in Dr. Ryan and was blessed with a healthy singleton pregnancy resulting in a beautiful baby girl at full term.
Ginny Ryan
Iowa City
Strength [at University of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care]- the doctors, their machines and technology, The lab techs, the nurses in the surgery suites, their experience Weakness- the nurses (mainly just Ali) otherwise most of the other nurses were great...However Ali was extremely uncompassionate and I always dreded having to speak with her. I would usually cry each time we hung up because she was so negative.
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Strength- the doctors, their machines and technology, The lab techs, the nurses in the surgery suites, their experience Weakness- the nurses (mainly just Ali) otherwise most of the other nurses were great
The provider was excellent, took time with me and didn't rush. The nurses however were awful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care. (Assigned nurse: ali)
Most of the nurses were great. However Ali was extremely uncompassionate and I always dreded having to speak with her. I would usually cry each time we hung up because she was so negative.
He spent time with me and never rushed. He always made me feel heard and he answered my concers with validation. I appreciated how I didn't feel like a number with him but that he really cared about our outcome.
Around 18000
Iowa City
[The nursing staff at University of Iowa were] Lovely, helpful, knowledgeable...Dr. Duran helped me to treat debilitating iron deficiency anemia and menorrhagia while preserving my uterus for future frozen embryo transfer. Other doctors has given me little hope of using my frozen embryos in the future due to this condition...Dr. Duran found a solution to my problem when others could not. He answered my questions thoroughly.
The best.
Dr. Duran explained every option and found the one that would work best for me. He was compassionate and solved my problem.
Lovely, helpful, knowledgeable.
Dr. Duran found a solution to my problem when others could not. He answered my questions thoroughly. My life went from terrible to great because of Dr. Duran's compassionate and expert treatment solution. I am very thankful for him.
Call to get treatment from Dr. Duran right away. He is amazing.
All
Iowa City
He [Dr Duran] was down to earth, honest and had a plan beyond this cycle in case it was another bfn. He spent 45 minutes with us discussing all our concerns and past treatment...He was very invested in our journey, knowledgeable and explain things on our level...We had done 4 IUI prior but I felt timing was off so we proceeded with the same course of action because he felt confident our chances were good. I did a final round of Femara and IUI with success...The nurse did our IUI procedure and even let my husband assist and explained everything very well...Great flow, everyone was very friendly from front staff, ultrasound, nurses and doctor
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Great flow, everyone was very friendly from front staff, ultrasound, nurses and doctora
He was down to earth, honest and had a plan beyond this cycle in case it was another bfn. He spent 45 minutes with us discussing all our concerns and past treatment.
Be open and honest
Our insurance covered nearly everything
PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Bradley Van Voorhis of University of Iowa Advanced Reproductive Care] was honest with me and told me the truth and not just what I wanted to hear. He was also nice and compassionate...He is a wonderful Doctor. He changed my life and I will be forever grateful to him!
Other, Prefer not to answer
PCOS, Unexplained
He was honest with me and told me the truth and not just what I wanted to hear. He was also nice and compassionate.
Extremely compassionate!!!
He can help. He is extremely intelligent. Listen to what he says and he can help you.