UCLA

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
200 UCLA Medical Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
310-794-7274
1450 10th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-8144
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCLA to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 4Neutral: 3Don't recommend: 28.2
View fewer doctors
This clinic is within UCLA - Los Angeles. It is large. They have doctor's in every field. They have three buildings. The clinic is within one of the OBGYN suites on the second floor of the main medical plaza. It is busy and always filled with people. But, at least everything you need is all in one place.... They greet you with a smile when they bring you in. They take your weight, height, blood pressure and list of medications before leading you to a room. I usually make small talk with them since I see them with unusual frequency.
Describe your experience with UCLA.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Over the last (nearly) 3 years, Dr. Brennan and I built a good doctor-patient relationship. When she walks in the room and sees me during an appointment, I believe she sees me and not just another patient on her queue .
They greet you with a smile when they bring you in. They take your weight, height, blood pressure and list of medications before leading you to a room. I usually make small talk with them since I see them with unusual frequency. They are receptive to small talk. After you see Dr. Brennan they also greet you with a smile on your way out.
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
I initially sought Dr. Brennan because I had experienced a miscarriage in late 2015 and had not conceived again since. I wanted to be sure the pregnancy wasn't a rare occurrence and could happen again. She ordered all the necessary tests and told me I shouldn't have a problem getting pregnant (or maintaining a pregnancy). However, it had been over a year since my pregnancy and she wanted to move forward. We decided to perform our first natural cycle IUI and conceived on the first try. Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy and performed an ultrasound each appointment. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in miscarriage as well. But, Dr. Brennan continued to encourage treatment to get pregnant again. I did two more IUI's (with clomid) afterwards, but did not conceive. I conceived my last pregnancy naturally (no IUI), and Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy and performed an ultrasound each appointment again. She monitored me until my 12 week appointment, where I chose to continue the pregnancy with a regular. Unfortunately, the fetus was later diagnosed (via CVS) with Turner's Syndrome and I miscarried that pregnancy as well. I recently spoke with Dr. Brennan again and we now both agree that IVF treatment is my best option (with PGS testing). Treatment will begin in 2019 (G-d willing). I am very happy with Dr. Brennan and her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
At first, it may feel like you are just another patient. However, Dr. Brennan will take care of you. She will mourn with you if you experience a loss, but as a Doctor she is ready to move on faster than you are. She genuinely wants her patients to be happy - which means getting her patients pregnant with a healthy child, as quickly as humanely possible. She will explain things to you - but if you are not clear, ask. She is happy to explain - but needs to know you be clear.
Describe the protocols Kathleen Brennan used in your cycles at UCLA and their degree of success.
When we decided to perform our first natural cycle IUI, I was told to take ovulation tests to be accurate regarding my ovulation day. Once I had a positive ovulation test result, I would notify Dr. Brennan's office and schedule the appointment for insemination. My husband would go first in the morning and provide his sperm sample. 90 Minutes later, once the sperm is washed, I would go in for the IUI. After the procedure, she told me to continue laying down for another 10-20 minutes before I got up. Also, advised me that chances of conception increased if my husband and I engaged in intercourse that night and following night. Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy and performed an ultrasound each appointment. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in miscarriage. But, Dr. Brennan continued to encourage treatment to get pregnant again. She wanted to have me conceive again, but this time with clomid so that ovulation timing was more precise (due to the trigger shot). The first Clomid cycle I think was with 50 mg (a low dose?), since she did not want to risk me conceiving multiples (she believed a singleton pregnancy was best, as twins are a higher risk pregnant. However, if I did happen to conceive twins she would take the opportunity to observe if once develops normally and one does not). I took the 5 tablets of Clomid (1 each day for 5 days, I believe) and then performed the trigger shot on myself, the day before the IUI procedure. The day of the procedure was the same as above (natural cycle IUI). After the procedure, she told me to continue laying down for another 10-20 minutes before I got up. Also, advised me that chances of conception increased if my husband and I engaged in intercourse that night and following night. I did not conceive. The second IUI cycle was with 75 mg of Clomid. Dr. Brennan still believed that I was at low risk for conceiving multiples - but was also not completely averse to it either. The higher dosage of Clomid was to increase the size of the follicles before the trigger shot was administered. The remaining steps were identical to the first Clomid IUI cycle. I did not conceive. I conceived my last pregnancy naturally (no IUI) - 4-5 months after my last IUI cycle with Clomid. Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy (confirmed it via blood test first) and performed an ultrasound each appointment again. She monitored me until my 12 week appointment, where I chose to continue the pregnancy with a regular OBGYN. Unfortunately, the fetus was later diagnosed (via CVS) with Turner's Syndrome and I miscarried that pregnancy as well (natural miscarriage). I spoke with Dr. Brennan about two weeks ago and we now both agree that IVF treatment is my best option (with PGS testing). She and I cannot figure out why my last 3 pregnancies have all ended in miscarriage. We both agree that by doing IVF we can then test all embryo's produced before implantation - therefore significantly reducing the chances of miscarriage. Have not started treatment as of yet due to lack of funding - but there is a plan in place.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
All 3 IUI's were paid out of pocket - my health insurance didn't cover the costs. The IUI procedure was discounted since we paid the entire amount up front, but was only done for the first IUI. The first IUI cycle cost me about $300 in total - since it was only the procedure, and no medications were required. The IUI cycles I did with Clomid (2) cost about $500 - $600 each with medications. All prenatal care was covered by my health insurance and only required a co-pay. IVF is also not covered by my health insurance and I will have to pay completely out of pocket. The IVF in it's entirety (for 1 egg retrieval cycle) and including PGS testing will cost an estimated $25,000.
Describe Kathleen Brennan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCLA.
Dr. Brennan and I agreed that eSET is the best option. She believes that multiples in a pregnancy pose a higher risk. For my particular case, only one embryo will be transferred at a time per cycle. Considering that during egg retrieval - it is estimated they will retrieve enough eggs after one retrieval. After the eggs are fertilized and tested via PGS, we expect to have a comfortable number of embryo's to transfer.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I feel very comfortable knowing I am working with UCLA. They have tons of resources all linked to their hospital, it's organized and they have a great reputation. Kind of hard to go wrong here. Everyone at this particular branch is very friendly at the front desk and communicative.... Right now I'm looking at around 15k just for the egg retrieval. Will be more for the actual IVF but hoping insurance will help cover that part of it somewhat.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with UCLA.
I am still currently undergoing egg freezing with attempt TTC. Dr. Brennan is very straightforward but kind. I like that she presents all aspects of treatment but also provides clear and smart guidance. I feel taken care of and like she knows what she is doing, and having never done this before, I need someone who is in charge and also realistic. I also love that despite my complex situation, she is on board with a plan for me. I really appreciate that she is there to help, and I feel that very much from her and her team. Her team is responsive, warm, helpful and patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCLA. (Assigned nurse: Ruthie!)
I absolutely LOVE Ruthie! So smart, so organized, incredibly responsive and very, very supportive. She is very thorough, patient, and you can pick her brain about just anything. She also has a great sense of humour. I really cannot say enough about her.
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
I feel very supported throughout this process by Dr. Brennan. I feel like she is knowledgeable and smart about her approaches and also very encouraging. I feel well looked-after and I also feel like she comes to me as a patient from a clinical perspective, which is what I do not have at all, and that's exactly what I need with problem-solving in TTC. I love that she has a board up of all her families and babies!! She also has a very youthful spirit, and positive energy.
Try to be the very best patient you can be.
This is something I can't quite comment on yet because we are still in the middle of things, but at the moment we will be using injectibles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
I am considered AMA, so I think eventually I will be encouraged to do multiple embryo transfer. I am ok with this as it increases chances of birth, and any multiple I would receive with joy :)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The staff [at UCLA] is friendly and we always felt comfortable there. Jessica was the nurse who usually greeted us and drew blood. She is very sweet, and seems to enjoy her job. Parking is expensive if you don't have an early morning appointment...Teri is the nurse who I worked with all 3 times. She is knowledgable and kind, but it could be a struggle to communicate with her via phone or email....My insurance did not cover IVF so, it was all out-of-pocket.
European, South Asian
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with UCLA.
The staff is friendly and we always felt comfortable there. Jessica was the nurse who usually greeted us and drew blood. She is very sweet, and seems to enjoy her job. Parking is expensive if you don't have an early morning appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meredith Brower at UCLA?
Dr. Brower was always straight forward and very personable. She is very knowledgable and very good at communicating. She has a very warm bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCLA. (Assigned nurse: Teri Abraham)
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at UCLA?
We did 3 IVF cycles with Dr. Brower at UCLA Santa Monica. She started the 3rd cycle and setup the protocol, and left for maternity leave during the cycle. Dr. Rodi did the egg retrieval on the 3rd cycle. We were initially referred to Dr. Brower by my husbands urologist, and they communicated with each other during the process. We did a few tests in the beginning, such as a genetics test, blood work, urine analysis, and tested my husbands sperm motility. That was it, and we began stimulation. Each time we tried a different injection recipe with similar results. We were told there was no way to test the quality of the sperm and eggs. We both have physical complications and a little more testing would have been beneficial. Instead, we were given donor options. Dr. Brower has since transferred to a new facility, and we have chosen to seek a new doctor. The new doctor performed some critical tests, that Dr. Brower did not do or recommend. These tests would have saved us a lot of trouble and money from doing the 3 unsuccessful cycles.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meredith Brower at UCLA?
If you run into some complications, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. That goes with any medical procedure from any doctor. She is very knowledgable, but there could be something she is missing. It happens to everyone.
Describe the protocols Meredith Brower used in your cycles at UCLA and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 (max dosage): Birth Control 16 days, Androgel 12 days, Androderm 5 days, Gonal F 300 u 11 days, Menopur 11 days, Cetrotide 4 days, and Ovidrel trigger. Cycle 2 (max dosage):: Androgel 18 days, Lupron 21 days, Gonal F 300 u 10 days, Menopur 10 days, and Ovidrel trigger. Cycle 3 (lower dosage): Birth Control 16 days, Menopur 11 days, Omnitrope 8 days, Cetrotide 4 days, and Ovidrel trigger.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meredith Brower at UCLA.
My insurance did not cover IVF so, it was all out-of-pocket.
Describe Meredith Brower's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCLA.
We only had 1 so, there was never an option.
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
My only comparison [to UCLA] is with a private clinic (not affiliated with a large public university), and I had much better service (at a price!) at the private clinic. Monitoring was only every other day toward the end of stims, so I didn't know what my actual situation (E2, largest follicle size) was at trigger, whether hcg in my system was sufficient after trigger, etc. At my last monitoring appointment, I noticed that they do not measure all of the follicles (I didn't have that many being AMA), just the few largest to get an idea. While I understand that this appears to get the job done, I usually like more information when possible. Again, I like the frequency with which I got to see my own doctor, which I understand doesn't happen everywhere.
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with UCLA.
My only comparison is with a private clinic (not affiliated with a large public university), and I had much better service (at a price!) at the private clinic. Monitoring was only every other day toward the end of stims, so I didn't know what my actual situation (E2, largest follicle size) was at trigger, whether hcg in my system was sufficient after trigger, etc. At my last monitoring appointment, I noticed that they do not measure all of the follicles (I didn't have that many being AMA), just the few largest to get an idea. While I understand that this appears to get the job done, I usually like more information when possible. Again, I like the frequency with which I got to see my own doctor, which I understand doesn't happen everywhere.
I appreciate that Dr. Brower considers the emotional aspect of infertility and related treatment. I also appreciated seeing Dr. Brower (or her partner in Dr. Brower's absence) for my ultrasound monitoring appointments instead of an ultrasound tech. She was very responsive to email/web portal inquiries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCLA. (Assigned nurse: Teri)
Teri is an experienced IVF coordinator/nurse, but I'm not sure if her workload is too much handling all IVF patients. She was very helpful in getting my IVF cycles approved with my insurance, but sometimes I would not get responses to my emails. The other nurses I saw for blood draws and to take my vitals were pleasant and professional.
What specific things went wrong at UCLA?
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at UCLA?
I was referred to Dr. Brower by my ob/gyn after the loss of our first pregnancy. I consulted with her as we were coming up on six months (over the age of 35) without a successful pregnancy. My husband and I met with her after we got my initial blood work back. She was sympathetic about our loss, presented different treatment options, and was appropriately candid about the less than rosy statistics for them. We decided to proceed with IVF as it offered our best chance of success and we liked the prospect of being able to test to reduce the risk of another loss. I began priming and OCP suppression later that month. When our first retrieval cycle did not go well (objective was to get something to test), she gave us the option to repeat the same protocol or to try a different one for our second cycle. I found Dr. Brower to be appropriately communicative, candid, and caring.
Maybe not specific to Dr. Brower, but it's important to understand that infertility is a very frustrating branch of medicine that does not offer the same quality of data that others do. There are still a lot of unknowns and every patient is different.
My first cycle with Dr. Brower was antagonist - I testosterone primed with Androgel for 34 days and stimmed with 300 Gonal-F, 150 Menopur, and hgh for nine days (adding Cetrotide days 7-9), triggering with a single dose of Ovidrel on the 10th day. We retrieved 12 eggs, of which only 7 were mature and ICSI'd, of which only three fertilized. One became a morula, but the other two did not make it that far. We had no blastocysts to test and freeze as was our goal. Because that went poorly, we wanted to try a different protocol to see how that would go. The cycle after the first egg retrieval, I started OCP on CD3 preparing for another antagonist protocol. I testosterone primed with Androgel for 24 days (stopping 2-3 days before beginning stims as I ran out because it had been ordered before changing to the luteal lupron plan). We had subsequently decided on a luteal lupron protocol (without OCP), but I needed to remain on the OCP for about a week for hysteroscopy visibility. After that I had to monitor for ovulation with OPKs to ensure ovulation before starting lupron suppression (10u once daily) on CD20 for 13 days. I began stimming this time with 450 Gonal-F, hgh, and reducing the lupron to 5u for days 1-4. Beginning day 5, I reduced the Gonal-F to 300 and added 150 Menopur along with the hgh and lupron through day 10. I triggered on day 11 with a single dose of Ovidrel. We decided to try half IVF and half ICSI since all ICSI didn't work out well for us last time - we admit the human element with ICSI scares us a little bit and like the idea of some natural selection. We retrieved 10 eggs, of which 8 fertilized (5/5 IVF, 3/5 ICSI), and are currently waiting to see how they fare.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meredith Brower at UCLA.
I had insurance coverage for my two IVF cycles with her. The office uses another fertility center or one of the university surgical centers for its surgeries, so bills came separately from different departments at UCLA (physician billing is different from hospital billing) or from the third party fertility center directly. Genetic testing (of me, not embryos) was also billed separately.
Dr. Brower made clear that multiples basically increase the risk of everything that can go wrong. We would probably only transfer more than one if untested.
Santa Monica
Teri, IVF Coordinator [at UCLA Santa Monica], is so much fun and so incredibly nice. She has been in the IVF business for over ten years and worked at a couple different clinics. She's seen the industry evolve and really is a great help for injections. She knows the best pharmacy to have your protocol meds purchased through, regardless of them going through insurance or being out of pocket. Additionally, she will coach you on your injection trainings. She has the best tips for painless injections and knows how to administer an inje
Describe your experience with UCLA.
First thing is it's in Santa Monica, which is notorious for awful, expensive parking. Go across the street and park in the meter spots if you have an appointment in the early morning, meter parking is free there until 9am! As for the clinic, it is always clean, comfortable, and warm. The staff are nice and quick with check-in and check-out. You're going to be there every other day sometimes, and they really do recognize you and get to know you. The bedside manner really is great across the board.
Dr. Brower has an incredible bedside manner and treats every patient uniquely based on that patient's needs and protocol and how the patient like their news/information delivered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCLA. (Assigned nurse: Teri and Jessica)
Teri, IVF Coordinator, is so much fun and so incredibly nice. She has been in the IVF business for over ten years and worked at a couple different clinics. She's seen the industry evolve and really is a great help for injections. She knows the best pharmacy to have your protocol meds purchased through, regardless of them going through insurance or being out of pocket. Additionally, she will coach you on your injection trainings. She has the best tips for painless injections and knows how to administer an injection that normally may sting so that it doesn't. Jessica, nurse for Dr. Brower, is so incredibly sweet and nice ALWAYS. I had doctor appointments at the crack of dawn, 7:30am, and she was always so nice and had a great attitude even at that time of day. A big plus is she is great with blood draws. I have tiny veins that sometimes like to roll, she gets the blood draw in the first poke, no bruises and no pain!
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at UCLA?
Dr. Brower is an amazing doctor with an incredible bedside manner. I unfortunately needed the assistance of a doctor to conceive, but my husband and I were lucky enough to have Dr. Brower on our side. IVF can be an emotional and time consuming process, nevermind the financial implications if insurance doesn't cover it. However, with Dr. Brower you feel like you have another person besides your spouse and/or any family and friends to turn to. Too often you hear a doctor say he/she understands what is happening to your body or knows what you're going through and they really don't. But this is not the case with Dr. Brower. During every single little step in the process she was there. She is incredibly prompt and detailed in her response to any and all questions - day or night AND on the weekends. She is up to date on her research and studies and is willing to work with you to make your protocol personal and what you specifically need. She helps you find financial assistance, if needed. In addition to Dr. Bower, you get her wonderful team - Teri, IVF Coordinator, who knows where to get the protocol meds cheapest and gives a great injection tutorial, and Jessica, nurse, who is an incredible joy to be around even at 7:30am and can draw blood at first poke even with the tiny veins I have! It is a true blessing to graduate from Dr. Brower's care to the care of a regular OB for the remainder of your pregnancy, but trust me when I say this (as you'll be thinking/saying the same thing) - you'll wish she delivered babies too! I did not want to leaver her office at my last appointment. She invited my husband and I into her office to see if we have any final questions - I always have questions (which she is beyond happy to answer) - and I couldn't muster one, not even to stay longer. I will miss her care immensely, but am excited to work with her again in the future when we want to conceive again.
You made a great choice! Dr. Brower is patient, empathetic, sympathetic, and always available. Even if results aren't always great, you'll know that you have a support system always available.
I am not infertile, but went through fertility treatment because I have a chromosomal dominant disease that I did not want my child(ren) to have so my protocol may be different. I started off on birth control and the reason for this is to regulate your cycle, calm your ovaries, and so your doctor knows when you are most likely to ovulate. I had ten days of ovarian stimulation which included Gonal-F and Menopur and the final four days included Cetrotide so I wouldn't ovulate. I have a Lupron based trigger shot, which is great if you're a candidate for it as it helps combat the likelihood/side effects of OHSS. Post-retrieval for seven days I took Cabergoline which continues to combat the likelihood/side effects of OHSS. After starting my period, post-retrieval, I started birth control again (I wanted to do the transfer as soon as possible) so that my doctor would know when I would ovulate. I stopped birth control pills about 10-12 days in and got another period and then started a protocol of Estrogen by transdermal patches on my abdomen, which helps produce a thick uterine lining making it more likely that your embryo transfer will produce a pregnancy (thick lining=easier implantation of embryo). The Estrogen also stops ovulation. The five days leading up to the embryo transfer I started Progesterone. Dr. Brower provided a protocol of two Endometrin suppositories and a 1ml evening injection of Progesterone. She allows for Progesterone to be administered in one of three ways: three Endometrin suppositories; two Endometrin suppositories and a 1ml evening injection of Progesterone; or a 2ml evening injection of Progesterone. I started on the original protocol, but found that the injection was a breeze and the suppositories were frankly quite messy that about two days into this (three days prior to transfer) I switched over to the last option - a 2ml evening injection of Progesterone. Big plus is the progesterone by injection is MUCH less expensive than the Endometrin. The Estrogen transdermal patches and Progesterone (whichever protocol you choose) is done until you reach 12 weeks of pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meredith Brower at UCLA.
0% of IVF and related expenses are covered by my insurance so it was fully out-of-pocket. One cycle of IVF cost about $3,000 and one transfer cycle monitoring cost about $2,000 - these are both paid directly to the doctor's office at the end of the cycle
Santa Monica
Scheduling and changing appointments [at UCLA - Santa Monica] is very easy and efficient here. Whenever I had questions about insurance, I felt like I received an informed answer. The UCLA online system is easy to use and I could send messages to my doctor without having to call. Don't park in the ramp as it is too expensive and there is no validation. Street parking in Santa Monica near the clinic is permit parking only...
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Scheduling and changing appointments is very easy and efficient here. Whenever I had questions about insurance, I felt like I received an informed answer. The UCLA online system is easy to use and I could send messages to my doctor without having to call. Don't park in the ramp as it is too expensive and there is no validation. Street parking in Santa Monica near the clinic is permit parking only. I would make morning appointments and park at the meters across the street. It gets busier as the day goes on. Parking always takes longer than you think it will!
Dr. Brower is very patient and calm. She took the time to answer all of my questions and I never felt rushed. When I received disappointing news, she stayed with me to comfort me.
I had very positive experiences with the nursing staff. The nurse I had most often, Jessica, really enjoys her job and gets excited about good news. It was nice to have people cheering for my pregnancy.
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at UCLA?
Dr. Brower is careful to be cautiously optimistic. She was very clear about my chances of getting pregnant and didn't sugar coat anything. Also, her encouragement helped my spouse and I focus on the next step and kept us from drowning in the big picture. The big picture can be very overwhelming. Dr. Brower is very thorough in her explanations and she took the time to answer all of our questions. I never felt rushed which is important because this kind of treatment is very emotional. She is very compassionate and I feel that she is very invested in the success of her patients. UCLA has a great online system where you can email the doctor, see test results, upcoming appointments, etc. Dr. Brower always answered my emails within 24 hours and often within 6 hours. I never had an inquiry go unanswered Against pretty big odds, I am happy to say that I am 12 weeks pregnant today.
I think this could be advice to anyone. Take really good notes, so when you are in an appointment you can give accurate answers about yourself and you ask every question that's on your mind.
I pursued 2 cycles of IVF. The first protocol: I prepped with bcp then I administered Gonal F, Menopur and Omnitrope. I had a poor response possibly due to the bcp over-suppressing the ovaries. For the second protocol: I prepped with testosterone gel and clomid (and an estrogen patch? I can't remember). I administered Gonal F, Menopur and Omnitrope then triggered with Ovidrel. We discussed doing something different if we needed to try another cycle, but I didn't have to!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meredith Brower at UCLA.
UCLA offers a package for IVF. If your treatment is cancelled, they break down the appointments and bill the appointments individually. Dr. Brower is knowledgable about billing and insurance and was able to explain the cost with me along the way. She identified cost savings when possible. For example, I was scheduled for a polyp removal procedure. I found out I was pregnant and Dr. Brower recognized that it was ectopic. While I was in surgery for the ectopic, she removed my polyp at the same time. This saved me from a separate procedure, a lot of extra expenses and more heartache. I also qualified for a great discount for fertility medication through Compassionate Care. There was a time that I miscounted my meds and Dr. Brower was able to pull from the office supply (donations from previous patients) to cover me until I could get to the pharmacy the next day. She met me after hours and I was so grateful. The IVF coordinator, Teresa Abraham, is very good about calculating how much medication is needed, so you don't have to buy more than you need. Not a drop of my Gonal F was wasted because she was able to extract more out of the used pens to make another dose. This is a big deal considering the cost of the injection pens.
Santa Monica
Dr. Brennan’s clinic [UCLA - Los Angeles] is clean, organized, prompt and low waiting time. I always felt in good hands, never frustrated with any call back’s or pharmacy refills. They were always prompt and professional....her nurse staff would go over all the financials with us. We had a full understanding of the financial part, there were no surprises or differences than what they gave us per cycle. It was very helpful!
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Dr. Brennan’s clinic is clean, organized, prompt and low waiting time. I always felt in good hands, never frustrated with any call back’s or pharmacy refills. They were always prompt and professional.
Dr. Brennan is a warm, caring, compassionate doctor. When I had any concerns I always felt like I was heard. She explained everything in detail and made sure I fully understand before leaving any appointment.
Dr. Brennan were caring and made sure we had clear understanding on the injections. She went over the injection process with us, our own mini injections class. Also, her nurse staff would go over all the financials with us. We had a full understanding of the financial part, there were no surprises or differences than what they gave us per cycle. It was very helpful!
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Dr. Brennan was always kind and had a wonderful bedside manner. She was compassionate towards me and my husband, I am a cancer survivor. Dr. Brennan made sure to have a full understanding of my health history. She looked over my “bible” of health history, before even seeing me a second time in her office. She would even bring in a seasoned physician if she wanted a further opinion. I never had doubt, or felt uncomfortable. Dr.Brennan is truly passionate of seeing her patients dreams come true.
Dr. Brennan put me quickly through a ringer of blood tests and ultra sounds. She even had me see a high risk OB/GYN before we started treatment to make sure I was able to safely deliver. She went above and beyond for me, making sure I was totally comfortable every step of the way.
I unfortunately cannot remember the injection protocol. I know that with what she had me on and with my cancer history, that involved radiation therapy next to one of my ovaries, I was able to have plenty of egg follicles when my cycle was done. It was amazing!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
I am trying to remember, my health insurance paid for a certain portion. I remember paying around $8k for a cycle, and that would be freezing at retrieval.
I remember this conversation with Dr.Brennan. She was very compassionate on what my husband and I were hoping for. She went over the risks and benefits on how many to transfer. She explained it all into detail with us, and helped us make the right decision.
2013
Part of the UCLA West LA mega complex. Well staffed on hours, responsive on getting you in when you needed to....They were always kind, friendly when I was coming in often. The woman who performed the dye test to check fallopian tubes was especially compassionate, telling me how brave I was to be doing what I was doing.
2013
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Part of the UCLA West LA mega complex. Well staffed on hours, responsive on getting you in when you needed to. Assumed it was cutting edge since it was affiliated with UCLA.
She always took the time to talk, seemed to remember my specific concerns from time to time, let me cry, etc.
It's been a few years so I don't remember specifics that well. They were always kind, friendly when I was coming in often. The woman who performed the dye test to check fallopian tubes was especially compassionate, telling me how brave I was to be doing what I was doing.
What specific things went wrong at UCLA?
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Dr. Brennan did exactly what was outlined when we first met, went over things in technical detail, and answered my many questions. It did feel like we were quick to jump to injections and manipulating things chemically, but I am not sure what other choices really exist if you are doctor following standard practice.
Ask about things other than use of pills, injections, etc you can be doing to increase the chances of conceiving.
A few months of pills to increase and control egg production, then movement to pills and injectables for IUIs. Also did a dye-test to check fallopian tubes, and a sperm test on husband. No problems were ever found with either of us. Rational on strategies was just the standard way to control cycles and increase the chances of fertilization when you don't know why you aren't getting pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
I think we got up to $6-8K, before we stopped and decided to see (again) what would happen naturally. We knew the next step of AI would be $10-$15Kish.
Los Angeles
Sometimes long waits [at UCLA - LA] Billing errors are common Parking is expensive -$12 Insurance card required at every visit which I find annoying Facilities are clean and nice Convenient lab downstairs...[Dr. Kathleen Brennan] Kind and thorough Ordered tests when I requested them Answered all my questions patiently Responds to questions over email via UCLA within 1 day Supervised her residents and took over if they needed help
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Sometimes long waits Billing errors are common Parking is expensive -$12 Insurance card required at every visit which I find annoying Facilities are clean and nice Convenient lab downstairs ........................
She took the time to walk through all fertility options at first meeting. She smiles often and congratulated us when we got our positive test.
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Sometimes there’s a short wait
Spent 18 months getting diagnosed with PCOS, starting metformin and getting ovulation to work. Then got pregnant naturally first try. She sees me every week from 5-8 weeks.