UCSF

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
Spa like atmosphere- private, calm and quiet- puts me in a good place for procedures. Front desk staff [UCSF] is kind, although doesn't always recognize when people are in line to check in. Clinic staff is thorough in checking ID and ensuring they have the right patient, which felt reassuring. Billing coordinators took weeks to respond to emails.... Carolyn held my hand (via the phone) through complex regimens and lots of bad news (including a miscarriage).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Spa like atmosphere- private, calm and quiet- puts me in a good place for procedures. Front desk staff is kind, although doesn't always recognize when people are in line to check in. Clinic staff is thorough in checking ID and ensuring they have the right patient, which felt reassuring. Billing coordinators took weeks to respond to emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr. Cakmak feels like a member of our team. He has a dry sense of nerd-humor but I know he cares for us a lot and wants us to succeed at our common goal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Carolyn)
Carolyn held my hand (via the phone) through complex regimens and lots of bad news (including a miscarriage). She returns calls the same day (although when I was going through IVF, I called her on 15 minute increments because an hour seemed like an eternity- which is a bit unrealistic now that I look back). She is a saint for dealing with hormonal, grieving women.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr. Cakmak is well read and a respected clinical researcher. He has published extensively and reflected current knowledge of the state of the science as he outlined our treatment plan and as we encountered setbacks. He uses lots of statistics, but was also comfortable talking about how we have not fit those statistics thus far. Of note, his cadence is very typical of a clinical researcher- he does best when you save questions till the end of him running through his algorithms and plans. He is an optimist and encouraged me and my partner to maintain hope even when this was hard. He always seems to have the next step planned out incase the one in front of us doesn't work. He is also very clear that if/when he feels that it is unlikely we will get pregnant, he will be honest and clear with us. He doesn't push procedures or treatments that are unlikely to yield results.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Bring a list of questions to your appointment and ask them after he has reviewed his assessment and plan.
Describe the protocols Hakan Cakmak used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Climid with HcG trigger for IUI, with resulting multiple follicle yield each round. IVF stimulation: Antagonist protocol (used given borderline diminished ovarian reserve) yielded more eggs than expected (a good thing).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
$15k for IVF stimulation cycle with retrieval and embryo transfer, $400 for medications; $3500 for frozen embryo transfer IUI cycles were covered by insurance
Describe Hakan Cakmak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
He didn't have a strong preference (given multiple failed rounds), but educated us on risks of multiple gestation.
San Francisco
The IVF orientation is very thorough and the lab [UCSF] has an excellent reputation. I did not get information from the financial navigators until I had called and emailed several times, and I wasn't told that I could have an in person consultation with them until after the fact. They do not have payment plans at all - they do bucket the costs though, so if a cycle is cancelled you may get some of your money back.... Parking is really expensive and the clinic is right next to several major construction projects. It is two blocks from a MUNI light rail station though. The people who draw blood at the clinic are excellent.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The IVF orientation is very thorough and the lab has an excellent reputation. I did not get information from the financial navigators until I had called and emailed several times, and I wasn't told that I could have an in person consultation with them until after the fact. They do not have payment plans at all - they do bucket the costs though, so if a cycle is cancelled you may get some of your money back. If you don't have fertility coverage through your insurance they will not run tests and labs for you just to check - you have to choose ahead of time to either pay the self pay rate or have them submit it to insurance and then pay the insurance fee if it isn't covered. Parking is really expensive and the clinic is right next to several major construction projects. It is two blocks from a MUNI light rail station though. The people who draw blood at the clinic are excellent.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is great - a perfect balance of empathetic and logical. She's very down to earth and takes the time to answer my questions in detail. I feel like she treats me like a human. The front desk staff are also great. My interactions with the other staff at the clinic (coordinator and RN) so far have not been great - I often feel like a number when interacting with them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney and Anne)
My original primary nurse Brittney is not there right now, so I didn't have one for a while and then I was assigned to Anne. She is difficult to reach via email and phone, but when I do get ahold of her she answers my questions and is supportive. My coordinator Janlyn initially was not very responsive but recently has been better. She is easy to reach but it often takes her a while to get answers to my questions if she needs to talk to other team mates. I think they both try hard and probably just have too much to do.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
I read in a previous review to bring detailed questions when meeting with Dr. Huddleston, and so I always do this. She is happy to take the time to answer all of my questions, and makes sure I understand her answers. She gives me advice when I ask and also empowers me to make decisions about the process when possible. She's warm and personable and also logical and down to earth. I'd also like to call out that I have a disability and I have been happy with the accommodations Dr. Huddleston has provided me with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
It is hard to reach her between appointments, and in my experience the RNs don't always pass on messages so keep a list of questions to ask her when you have her in the room.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I have DOR and do not have a partner with sperm so am using donor sperm. I am early in the process still - just started my first cycle. As part of the process pre-cycle I had labs done and a saline sonogram and attended UCSF's IVF orientation and injection class. I am on estrogen patches and will be doing ganirelix acetate, gonal-F, and menopur injections with an HCG trigger shot. They will be doing ICSI, and PGS testing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
One cycle including retrieval, ICSI, and FET is going to be about $15,000 not counting medication costs.
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I feel educated on the options, and have not had to make this choice yet.
San Francisco
WEAKNESSES: The hardest part of the whole process was getting the first appointment booked with a doctor. When you call [UCSF], you get diverted to a voicemail where you leave your info.... STRENGTHS: Once you get your first appointment booked and get through the initial pre-work, the rest was pretty seamless and easy to follow. The staff (front desk, phlebotomists, nurses, MDs) are all super responsive and kind, and made sure I understood each step of the process.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
WEAKNESSES: The hardest part of the whole process was getting the first appointment booked with a doctor. When you call, you get diverted to a voicemail where you leave your info. If you do not pick up when they call you, they tell you to call the same number back (which then results in another voicemail). 4-5 voicemails later, I finally got an appointment booked. Phew! The next hardest part was dealing with their Cisco secure email system which sometimes wouldn't always load the email properly, particularly if large files were attached. The initial email with a long list of instructions and action items for both my husband and I was also hard to read -- it was very MS Word 97! You need to be super detail-oriented to get through that email and also the additional verbal instructions provided over the phone for all the initial lab work, orientations and forms. The last frustration is their Financial Navigators team. They're understandably very busy but it's challenging getting a response from them if you have questions about billing and insurance. STRENGTHS: Once you get your first appointment booked and get through the initial pre-work, the rest was pretty seamless and easy to follow. The staff (front desk, phlebotomists, nurses, MDs) are all super responsive and kind, and made sure I understood each step of the process. It was easy to book follow-up appointments in person and there was rarely a line to talk to the front desk. The facility is also really nice - making it a pleasant environment to visit multiple times. There's easy parking below that isn't too expensive and there's a Walgreens just down the street for any last minute refills that you may need.
Whenever I spoke directly with Dr. Cakmak, he's always willing to explain things in detail with a great deal of patience and honesty. Although he sees so many patients at once, he remembers the details about you and addresses the specifics whenever he sees you. He's very data-oriented which I appreciate. He doesn't sugar coat things and tries to set the most realistic expectations along the way (while also being calming). Although most of my visits and phone conversations were with his team or colleagues, I could tell that he was guiding them along the way. He's also responsive when you need to get a hold of him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Audra Katz)
Audra is a thorough communicator and is good about contacting you in a timely manner to provide reminders or new instructions.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr Cakmak comes across a little socially awkward but it's well compensated by his calm, patient, and data-driven communication style. He's a very sweet person who cares about achieving the best possible results for you, while also helping to set realistic expectations along the way.
To look beyond his bit of social awkwardness!
* Initial ultrasound showed slow follicle growth (13 follicles; smaller in size) Days 1-6: Menopur 150; Gonal F 225 * Day 7 ultrasound showed sudden follicle growth (around 25-30) with a couple follicles growing faster than others so I was told to immediately start using Ganirelix as an antagonist. Days 7-8: Menopur 150; Gonal F 150; Ganirelix 250 * Dr Cakmak reduced the stimulants to help follicles catch up to one another and ordered an extra trigger shot - Lupron (in addition to HGC trigger) Days 9-10: Menopur 150; Gonal F 100; Ganirelix 250 * Stimulants reduced again Days 11-? (today is Day 11): Menopur 75; Gonal F 100; Ganirelix 250
San Francisco
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Clinic [UCSF] is clean, organized and a well oiled machine. They can see well over 100 patients on any given day and so they have a nice routine and professional set up. The receptionists, nurses, and staff are all super friendly and nice. They know what they are doing and they do it very well. The finance team was more difficult to work with and less responsive. The most consistent problem I had was dealing with finanacial counselors who were hardly available and again not very available or accommodating.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Clinic is clean, organized and a well oiled machine. They can see well over 100 patients on any given day and so they have a nice routine and professional set up. The receptionists, nurses, and staff are all super friendly and nice. They know what they are doing and they do it very well. The finance team was more difficult to work with and less responsive. The most consistent problem I had was dealing with finanacial counselors who were hardly available and again not very available or accommodating.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Ceders was incredibly kind and compassionate yet very honest, realistic and pragmatic in her approach. She used data and science to drive her decisions yet she was willing to try new approaches to see what could work. She was available whenever needed and would take time to answer all of my questions. She never made us feel rushed and ensured all of our questions and concerns were addressed. She never over promised and was fact-based. We trusted her expertise, knowledge and track record. I would recommend her for anyone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona Gurkan)
Teona was by far another main reason I decided to work with Dr. Ceders-aside from Dr. Ceders’ excellent credentials. Teona is a very kind, genuine, compassionate and down to earth Nurse. She is funny, sweet and excellent bedside manners. You connect with Teona very quickly and you feel cared for by her. She has an ease and positive vibe about her that makes her very likeable and approachable. She is very organized, responsive and diligent. She also told us about the out of pocket discount on medications which UCSF has that saved us at least 5K each round. I recommend working with her 100%.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Ceders is a trail blazer in this field and I was very excited and eager to work with her. She was exceptionally knowledgeable and informative. She would take calculated risks and use data and science as her guide. She was compassionate and kind in her engagement with us and we felt she had great bed-side manners.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She will tell it to you straight and use data and science - not sales tactics - to help you make decisions. She listens well and incorporates your input and concerns in her process without compromising your care and what’s best for you.
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
My procedure included a pre-cycle of estrogen patches the cycle before retrieval. Then during retrieval cycle she prescribed Clomid for 5 days with Gonal F for about 10 days and Ganirelix and Menopur for last 3-5 days before triggering. We retrieved the eggs for inseminination then growing for 7 days and PGS testing then freezing until ready for transfer. This was due to low ovarian reserve and therefore were ‘harvesting’ as much as possible to get the number we wanted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Out of pocket about 14K plus about $300-400 for meds, plus 2.5K separate payment for PGS testing to outside company. Insurance out of pocket about 2-5K for each round. I did 5 rounds of retrieval only, two out of pocket and 3 with insurance.
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Ceders recommends single embryo transfer due to better mother and baby health and so we will go with her recommendation.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Billing [UCSF] is a nightmare... We'd often get emails at 7 pm the night before a procedure that had our bill (typically for thousands of dollars) and the bill would be due early the next morning or else they would discontinue the cycle.... Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person."
European, Latino
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person." Also, getting new appointments can take forever, and the protocols for treatments are extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer and just 8+ weeks for a retrieval).
Dr. Huddleston is incredibly kind and bright. After meeting with countless doctors she felt like a breath of fresh air. Throughout our treatments she listened to our concerns and tried to customize protocols to fit within our desired timelines or requirements.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney)
Brittney was the nurse coordinator and she has been amazing. She recently left on leave, and so far I don't have a single point of contact but the team is good at getting back to me quickly. The remaining nurses and staff are kind, funny, nice and thorough.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates. However, we are yet to be successful, so I don't know how much any of that matters. Also, the lead-in times for treatments felt extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer); I'm not certain if that was just Huddleston or a UCSF rule. But it did make everything feel like it took forever.
This is a hard one. I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
During retrieval, I was on Gonal-F and Menapur. There were some specific drugs that I trigged with, but I don't recall those. During the transfer, there was a month of birth control followed by several weeks of Estridol patches with Letrazol and then progesterone in oil shots (IM) for 5 days leading into the transfer. PIO was continued until the Beta HCG blood test. I didn't seem to have any negative side effects or reactions to the medications. During retrieval I had 20 mature eggs, so stims seemed to work well. I didn't love taking so many drugs for so long during the transfers, but I didn't necessarily have adverse effects.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Retrieval = Approx $16K Meds = $200 (UCSF has a grant with the government for self-pay people) Transfers = $5k each
Dr. Huddletson always went with the default of 1 embryo based on my age. But when we pressed her to consider two, she had no issue with letting us choose. We ultimately decided on one, but the decision was ours to make.
San Francisco
It seems fairly difficult to get access to your doctor at this clinic, and you never see your doctor for the actual IUIs, and rarely for the ultrasounds checking follicle counts during IUI process. I'm very confident in the lab and the state of the art medical procedures, instruments, and capabilities at this office... During one of my IUI cycles, which I had already started, UCSF sent me a message informing me that the next time I came to the office I owed them $3000
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It seems fairly difficult to get access to your doctor at this clinic, and you never see your doctor for the actual IUIs, and rarely for the ultrasounds checking follicle counts during IUI process. I'm very confident in the lab and the state of the art medical procedures, instruments, and capabilities at this office, and that was enough for me to want to be and remain a patient there. The main weakness was a real lack of access to the doctor (it's strange to me that it was not possible to send an email to the doctor - it's not like I was expecting to get her cell number or her address, sheesh), and the extent to which the scheduling person really controls things. I assume that's very hit or miss, and in the case of Dr. Noel's person, it's a big MISS. Really too bad because I think she's excellent, but I'd consider choosing a different doctor to avoid the scheduling nightmares and unreliable ability to track documents and checklists.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
When I actually got to see or talk to Dr. Noel, I very much felt treated like a human. I think she has a great bedside manner, and is exactly the right amount of direct and clear but also gentle and supportive. She seems to know her stuff, and I liked working with her. Her scheduling coordinator was unfortunately a big impediment, mixing up appointments, getting the wrong information, being slow to reply, and acted as a strong buffer / blockage between us and Dr. Noel, which put a big negative on the experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga was good. After a rough start initially (lacking some bedside manner / awareness of our case's history), I came to really like her and found her quite accessible and helpful.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Overall I feel very positiely towards Dr. Noel. My treatment with her was interrupted because she went out on maternity leave for a few months, and the few other doctors I saw in her absence really did not compare. Her approachability and ability to explain what's going on in a kind, clear way are great. I wish she were more accessible (I was never allowed to email her and had to always go through her assistant, which I felt led to needless delays and games of telephone and misinformation), but that was my biggest complaint.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
Beware her scheduling assistant. Nice, but not exactly competent. If receiving panicked emergency calls about forms not being in order right before your first IUI will upset you (as it did me), you might be best off avoiding Dr. Noel because you're stuck with the coordinator she has.
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Letrozol + ovidrel -- we increased the letrozol in the 3rd and 4th IUIs resulting in 2 mature eggs instead of one. no success with IUI
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
The IUI cost changed during my second cycle (described earlier) and during my 3rd/4th I was on new insurance that covered my treatment so I only had $20 copays. Unfortunately I dont remember more except that I believe initially IUIs were about $900 out of pocket, and skyrocketed to $2700 or $3000 (which I never paid because I protested them raising the price when I was literally already in the middle of treatment).
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
for our age at least (early 30s), UCSF seems pretty adament about eSET only, no multiples transfer
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Noel’s team [at UCSF] was wonderful and compassionate. They were also responsive and organized. They walked me through the process for each step so I was confident in My medications and use.... The clinic is the best of the best. They are organized and open daily to accommodate for all cycles. I saw many different doctors for various treatments based on my cycle and they were all wonderful. UCSF is the best hospital around and the clinic is representative of that.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
My care was thoughtful and specific to my needs. My first chemically controlled cycle for transfer of a PGS embryonwas rough (I did not tolerate the hormones well) and resulted in implantation but not proper growth. To prepare for my second transfer, we discussed at length the benefits and risks of a natural cycle and created a protocol that was easier on my body. Dr. Noel was my point person for everything even if I was seen for procedures by other doctors in the practice. She is compassionate, kind and smart. She was responsive and answered every crazy question I could dream up. At no point did I feel unheard or uneasy about the treatment plan. I can’t recommend Dr. Noel enough. She’s wonderful and because of her caring and compassion, I am 39 weeks pregnant with my daughter.
Dr. Noel’s team was wonderful and compassionate. They were also responsive and organized. They walked me through the process for each step so I was confident in My medications and use.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel is amazing and confident in her recommendations. She is warm and understanding of the emotion that goes with infertility. She has wonderful bedside manner and truly listens to all questions and concerns. She is never rushed and is responsive to emails and calls. She directed every aspect of my treatments even if she wasn’t the doctor to perform them based on my cycle. She also adjusted my treatments when I didn’t tolerate the hormones well. She is amazing and the reason I’m expecting my daughter. I can’t recommend her enough! UCSF is the best hospital with the best doctors and Dr. Noel is an example of that. She’s wonderful.
Fertility treatments are not easy but with the right doctor you will get positive results.
I had a natural conception and no issues with my first child. When I had a miscarriage with my second pregnancy and trouble conceiving thereafter, I wasn’t convinced I needed to see a fertility specialist. I met with Dr. Noel unconvinced I had true fertility problems and based on my prior natural conception, she recommended I do Clomid with IUI’s. We tried 3 with no luck. Thereafter we stepped up the fertility to an egg retrieval and PGS testing as egg quality was the suspicion. The PGS was telling and I ended up with 3 normal and good quality embryos. I did a medicated cycle to prepare for my first transfer. I took a drug that is used for treatment of prostate cancer that suppresses the ovaries. I then had to do progesterone injections. The medication was very hard on my body but resulted in a positive pregnancy. The embryo didn’t show proper growth and resulted in a miscarriage with manual uterine aspiration. In discussing my second transfer, I advised Dr. Noel that the medications were very difficult on my body and she suggested we do a natural cycle. We did and it resulted in a positive test and healthy pregnancy. I used estrogen suppositories to boost the pregnancy which were easy to use. Dr. Noel followed my progress through delivery and was so kind. She was as excited that I was pregnant as I was!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
For the IUI’s and harvest and 2 transfers, we spent approxsintelt $20,000.
I only wanted one additional child so we planned to only transfer one embryo at a time.
San Francisco
Strengths [for UCSF]: really amazing, experienced doctors. I have seen 3 between my initial consult, retrievals and transfers. Excellent nursing and coordinating staff. The new facility is very nice, though a bit cold (it just felt less intimate that their previous location). As far as treatment, they are top notch. Not a "one size fits" all type of clinic. They really look at your case individually. Weaknesses: The financial coordinating team wasn't super responsive the second time around. If you are paying OOP, it can be tricky to navigate cost and how to use your insurance coverage in the best way.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: really amazing, experienced doctors. I have seen 3 between my initial consult, retrievals and transfers. Excellent nursing and coordinating staff. The new facility is very nice, though a bit cold (it just felt less intimate that their previous location). As far as treatment, they are top notch. Not a "one size fits" all type of clinic. They really look at your case individually. Weaknesses: The financial coordinating team wasn't super responsive the second time around. If you are paying OOP, it can be tricky to navigate cost and how to use your insurance coverage in the best way.
UCSF is a very large clinic, so often "your doctor" isn't the doctor you get to see regularly for monitoring, retrievals, or transfers. I got lucky with my first cycle in that Dr. Huddleston was on call for monitoring, but she didn't do my retrieval or either of my transfers. During our consults though, she was very up front and pragmatic about our odds of success, and treated my case with a protocol very specific to my diagnosis, which neither of my previous doctors did. She was the only doctor who ran a morphology-specific test on my husband, which uncovered that this may have been a bigger issue than we thought.
At UCSF you are assigned a specific nurse to work with during your cycle, which I really appreciate. I actually never met either of mine in person, but they were really wonderful in communicating via email and phone when I needed them to. They are extremely organized.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
As a doctor, I really liked her candor and willingness to treat our case specifically to our diagnosis. We didn't have many eggs or embryos to work with, but she never made us feel like it was an uphill battle to conceive and bring home a healthy child. 2 previous REs were much more negative about our situation. I think it took someone like Dr. Huddleston, with a ton of experience, who was willing to tailor our protocol exactly to our situation.
Just be prepared that you may not see her beyond the first consult, but she is in charge of your protocol and monitoring your cycle, and her nurses are exceptional.
She used a "low and slow" approach to my DOR diagnosis. I can't remember the exact dosage of FSH/Menopur, but the goal was not to overstimulate my ovaries to the point of getting a lead follicle, which I think is often the case with doctors who deal inappropriately with DOR diagnoses. We also did estrogen-priming and ICSI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
We used a package through ARC for our fresh cycle. It was around $12,000 for a fresh and frozen transfer (the frozen being a backup that we didn't need). 3 years later (this year) we paid $4,000 for an FET cycle.
San Francisco
It’s a beautiful and state of the art clinic [UCSF] full of very kind and intelligent individuals. The hours are fabulous for working patients and the parking on site is also convenient. The center feels serene and somehow success-inspiring.... Absolutely everyone was top notch: on the ball, compassionate, gentle, extremely knowledgeable, and the epitome of flexible in terms of making things happen and accommodating circumstances as needed.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It’s a beautiful and state of the art clinic full of very kind and intelligent individuals. The hours are fabulous for working patients and the parking on site is also convenient. The center feels serene and somehow success-inspiring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr Rosen made me feel like a human because he prioritized my psychological well-being in light of excruciatingly painful miscarriages that led me to him in the first place. Always understanding and honest, Dr Rosen made sure that I felt in control of the process and that I did not feel hopeless even when results were less than ideal. His optimism is infectious and he is the one who kept my hopes up, even when other medical professionals and scientists encouraged me to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Gomes)
Absolutely everyone was top notch: on the ball, compassionate, gentle, extremely knowledgeable, and the epitome of flexible in terms of making things happen and accommodating circumstances as needed. Liz Gomes in particular is a miracle worker who goes far more than the extra mile for absolutely every one of her patients. There were days when Liz was the only human on earth who could keep me holding it together.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr Rosen is a funny, kind, and positive individual. That being said, he is also very honest to the extent that it may be interpreted as lack of compassion. Sometimes he may have seemed bored by some of our questions, but having gotten to know his personality and style, I can say that this is nothing more than his knowledge and experience coming through. (He doesn’t give false hopes and he knows what he knows.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Do not assume that he is cold, lacking in warm bedside manner, or disinterested in helping you achieve your dream. If anything, know that he wants to simply cut through worthless talk so that he can help you achieve your goal sooner and with the most potential for a successful outcome.
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol, PGS all blast, freeze normals. 150mg menopur, 300mg cetrotide and Gonal-f unknown amount (can’t remember) for first part of cycle. Sorry can’t remember details regarding exact calendar.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
First cycle cOvered by insurance and only Minimal copays for required rX.
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
9 Eggs Frozen
Strengths [for UCSF]: beautiful facility, wonderful nurses. Fantastic communication. The recovery room played beautiful music and looked out over the bay. Overall I was very pleased. Negatives: I felt hustled along *just a little* during the regular blood / ultrasound visits. It's a complicated process so there is *always* room for improvement in communicating the issues.
9 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: beautiful facility, wonderful nurses. Fantastic communication. The recovery room played beautiful music and looked out over the bay. Overall I was very pleased. Negatives: I felt hustled along *just a little* during the regular blood / ultrasound visits. It's a complicated process so there is *always* room for improvement in communicating the issues.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. R was very warm, kind, supportive, as were the nurses at the clinic - wonderful nurses. However each time I went in for an ultrasound leading up to the retrieval, I saw a different person, including the two doctors who performed the procedure (Dr. R broke his arm and was not able to perform the procedure) and I felt that they were not as warm as I would have liked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula Chavez)
SO VERY kind and supportive. Loved them.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt he was very straightforward and kind. He answered all my questions. There is some room for improvement in being proactive in helping me think about decisions involved in doing another round, but I'm not even sure that would have technically been appropriate for him to get involved in my decision making. It would have been great to be able to see him at each ultrasound, too. He didn't do the actual procedure only because he broke his arm.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Be proactive in asking questions - he is a research focused and has a tremendous wealth of knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification even though he talks quickly and is clearly busy, as all doctors are .
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
My hormone treatments were very standard. I don't know that there is any rationale other than, there was no reason to deviate from the standard.
$8000
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
2014 - 2018
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing
The new center [at UCSF] is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here...Shem [nurse] is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls...There were 2 cycles where there was a misunderstanding about which medications I should take. I think both were called in but they intended for me to take only one
2014 - 2018
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The new center is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin wasn’t very approachable or available for questions or feedback. I was also disappointed that she didn’t really seem to care about the outcome of any of my cycles and didn’t seem very empathetic towards us
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Shem Lewis)
Shem is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations. This may be a great style for some patients, but I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Don’t be shy about emailing the nurses for any questions or needs you have. The nurses are your direct line to the doctor and no question is too small to ask
Describe the protocols Evelyn Mok-Lin used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I have severely diminished ovarian reserve and have been doing “mini IVF” using an antagonist (Femara or Clomid) and minimal stimulation once the follicles are bigger. She advised us to freeze as many as possible and transfer 3-4 at a time to maximize chances
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
The first 2 cycles I did were in 2014 and they cost around 17-19k in clouding medications. This time around I’ve been doing mini IVF which is only 5-7k each cycle
Describe Evelyn Mok-Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
At my age she recommended 3-4 embryos at once with the rationale that only 1/5 or 1/12 may be normal
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
This clinic [UCSF] caters to everyone possible. They are helpful towards people who can’t afford treatment at private clinics. Important to ask for help and find ways to make treatment and medications feasible. There is a way of paying up front costs to get a reduction of fees. Costs were a major factor for us to get access to fertility treatment, the UCSF have government funding so the costs are less.
European, East Asian
Describe your experience with UCSF.
This clinic caters to everyone possible. They are helpful towards people who can’t afford treatment at private clinics. Important to ask for help and find ways to make treatment and medications feasible. There is a way of paying up front costs to get a reduction of fees. Costs were a major factor for us to get access to fertility treatment, the UCSF have government funding so the costs are less.
I felt I was respected and my personal circumstances were taken into consideration. Dr Hakan listened to our ideas and took time to explain what works well for people in our position.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Carolyn Clarke)
Our nurse was very responsive to all messages, even if she was not working I was able to contact a member of the team. Carolyn is a very positive and encouraging lady, she gave me hope and I looked forward to seeing her. She understands how stressful infertility is and her support really made the infertility journey less scary and manageable.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr Hakan Cakmak (not Cakmak Hakan) is a very kind and professional individual. He is capable of seeing beyond the regular methods and integrating cutting edge ideas. We were able to continue along a pathway of hope when other Drs had tried pushing us in directions we didn’t want to go. We highly recommend Dr Cakmak and appreciate his help in assisting us with creating our next generation with our own genetic material.
Older ladies remain calm if he repeats how age plays a major role in egg quality.
We did two mini IVF cycles, the first I didn’t respond so well. The egg retrieval collected 4 of 8 eggs but only 2 were mature. We ended up with one embryo of 3 days that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The second time the protocol was changed to include human growth factor injections (to improve egg quality), and froze all embryos that reached 5 days (so my body could recover and be prepared for the transfer). We had 2 frozen embryos they both made it through the thaw and were implanted. I was having daily Progesterone injections and 3 day estrogen patches to prepare my uterus for the embryos and make it a receptive environment. We were lucky enough for one embryo to implant and become a healthy pregnancy. We couldn’t afford the genetic testing of the embryos but the subsequent blood screening panels were negative to all 175 conditions. I continued the daily Progesterone and estrogen patches until the roughly the end of trimester 1.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
$12K roughly for upfront payment of mini IVF freeze all day 5 embryos, frozen transfer with ICSI.
Because of my advanced maternal age we were able to implant more than one which we were happy to do.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I know that UCSF is a center of excellence, and I took great comfort in knowing that I was at one of the country's best centers for reproductive health. However, I think the patient experience comes down to the doctors and nurses you interact with most frequently, and my experiences there during these cycles left me feeling unsure how important my case was and whether everything that could be done for me (as an older patient with poor egg quality) was being done. This is why I switched - I felt like I needed more personalized attention, and I had had a good experience with an RE who had moved on from UCSF so I could compare the approaches. So I went to his clinic after two unsuccessful cycles with UCSF.
I wouldn't say that Dr. Rinaudo made me feel like a number, but the UCSF clinic environment that he operated in did make me feel anonymous and I didn't necessarily feel like my doctor was strongly invested in the success of my outcome. He is a very kind and genteel person, but he wasn't ever able to offer me insights into why my transfers weren't succeeding or what we might be able to do differently. I didn't feel like he was really trying to solve the problem of my case, just repeating the same protocol with no adjustments because he said it was the best / only protocol for me. However, I subsequently switched clinics and have gotten somewhat better results with my retrieval there in terms of the numbers of eggs retrieved (although no positive pregnancy test yet).
The main nurse I interacted with was honestly a bit brusque and lacking in the compassion that I expected from such a role. One time she actually sort of questioned / almost accused me about having an extra dose of one of my medications when I provided her with a medication inventory for an upcoming cycle (it turns out that she had over-ordered it). And one time she forgot to order needles for one of my injectables and my husband and I had to scramble to get them. We had a communication issue related to my Day 2 embryo report on my second cycle, which left me not knowing whether I would be doing a Day 3 transfer the next day, or whether my embryos would be cultured out to Day 5. It was incredibly stressful. I actually felt mildly uncomfortable with this nurse and did feel like I was a number to her.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt like Dr. Rinaudo didn't necessarily have a strong investment in my outcome. My first cycle was cancelled due to poor response to the treatment protocol. From then on (subsequent 2 retrievals) he stayed with a protocol that he said was the only / best one for me given my poor response to the first one. The protocol didn't yield very many eggs, and when embryos were cultured out to Day 5 there were even less to work with. He explained it to me as an egg quality issue / limit of my age, which I understand but I always had a nagging feeling that there should be some adjustment tried or even contemplated to get a better result. From my first retrieval, only three Day 5 embryos survived. We transferred them one at a time with no success. I became interested in PGS for my second retrieval as a way to get past my egg quality issues. Dr. Rinaudo tried to explain the risks of the process to me, but I insisted on it because I was trying to "solve the problem" and I suppose I didn't have enough of a sense that he was trying to solve it with as much purpose or passion. So we went for the PGS, and unfortunately ended up with only one embryo to test which came back as anuploid. It was a traumatic experience for me to go through a retrieval process and end up with no embryos to transfer. I ended up taking a four month break so my husband and I could regroup, and then we switched clinics.
I think Dr. Rinaudo could provide more guidance to a couple, to create a more informed process, while still leaving the ultimate decision up to the patient. I think he's a lovely person, and perhaps he and I just didn't have a personality fit, but I felt like I needed more expert guidance from a RE.
Dr. Rinaudo did my first cycle as an antagonist protocol I believe (Gonal F, Ganirelix, Menopur as the primary medications). My body didn't respond well and that cycle was cancelled. For two subsequent retrievals we used a Clomid Flare protocol. I understand this is for poor responders, and that was his rationale for using it. However it resulted in small numbers of eggs (7 one time, 6 the other). I inquired about changing it for my last retrieval with him and he said it was the only / best one for me. However, in a subsequent cycle at a different clinic, my RE has used a different protocol and gotten better results (14 eggs retrieved). So I believe that my nagging feeling that Dr. Rinaudo should have looked at ways to adjust that protocol for me was the correct feeling.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
My first retrieval and three transfers were covered by my insurance. My final cycle was a self-pay cycle with a retrieval and PGS but no transfers unfortunately, and I believe it was around $15,000.
Dr. Rinaudo understood that my husband and I were trying to avoid twins, and he was supportive of our decision to only transfer one Day 5 embryo at a time. However, I wish he had educated us more on the statistical probability of that approach actually working out for someone of my age. My current RE let us make the ultimate decision of course, but he did a statistical analysis that showed that we could safely transfer 3 Day 3 embryos at a time to cover the number of embryos that probably wouldn't survive. I know it's difficult to compare Day 5 to Day 3, but I felt like we were making a more informed, rational decision with our current RE than with Dr. Rinaudo.
San Francisco
The clinic's strengths is that they [UCSF- San Fran] treat you with respect. The weakness of the this clinic is that they work as a team where you can see anybody within the clinic so there is really no bonding between patient and provider.... for the most part, the nursing staff were kind and helpful. Everyone always greet me and my husband with a smile.... retrieval=$12,000, anesthesia=$800, sonogram=$600, genetic testing=$300, freezing embryos=$500 initially
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic's strengths is that they treat you with respect. The weakness of the this clinic is that they work as a team where you can see anybody within the clinic so there is really no bonding between patient and provider.
I honestly don't know how other clinics work but I feel like they don't care for the patient as a whole. They don't check/evaluate the patient's wellness during the visit. I never got evaluated for why I I was unsuccessful 3 times and had 1 miscarriage.
All I have to say is that for the most part, the nursing staff were kind and helpful. Everyone always greet me and my husband with a smile.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Since I rarely see Dr. Cakmak during my visitations, I can't really say much about his strengths. Based on my initial consultation, he explained the whole IVF process to us and it made a lot of sense. He also tries to make me feel comfortable by trying to engage in conversations while performing the sonogram. He had a positive attitude and believed that I would have a successful pregnancy even after multiple failed attempts. I do have to say that one of his weakness is not being able to do a smooth transfer on transfer day even with a mock transfer. He stated that I have a very curvy cervix but other providers were able to do it without working with me.
I would advise a patient to not expect to meet or see Dr. Cakmak other than the initial consultation. Since I was unsuccessful, I had the option of doing a follow-up with him but other than that, you would have to go through the staff. You would only see him if your appointment happens to land on the day he is on duty because UCSF has multiple providers working in the same clinic.
I don't remember protocols for the retrieval process because it was about two years ago. I do remember that in the beginning, he only gave me 1cc or progesterone and then after being unsuccessful, increased it to 2cc and I got pregnant but had a miscarriage. For the last two transfers, we started at .5cc for two days, 1cc for two days, and then 1.5cc up until I found out the pregnancy results.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Well we live out of town so going in for an appointment would be the whole day. All the appointment was never convenient for us as far as the day goes but they did let us choose the time that is convenient for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
retrieval=$12,000, anesthesia=$800, sonogram=$600, genetic testing=$300, freezing embryos=$500 initially (increases by $100 every year), FET=$3000, medications/supplies=$500-$1000
My doctor strongly suggested that we only transferred one embryo because I was 26 at the time and he said young people have a high success rate. After the first failed attempt, our doctor allowed the following two attempt to have two embryos. He informed us that a single healthy baby was their goal and that multiple births might be risky.
San Francisco
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Liz [a nurse at UCSF] was very nurturing and caring! She was not always there, however, so I think that came off as lack of communication. Dr. Rosen was the constant there in terms of having a constant. Liz is a very sweet woman and patient. One nurse who drew my blood stands out as terrible. I may have been dehydrated and needed water. Instead, she jabbed the needle in my arm probably five times, hurting me incredibly. They need to ensure more training when it comes to this!
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
STRENGTHS: good doctor experience, very caring nurse, has a nice way of making patients feel taken care of (maybe especially patients who are there because of cancer, etc.) WEAKNESSES: In the previous answer I described the biggest weakness: the nurse who stabbed me what felt like a dozen times! Lack of caring, compassion, and understanding. Another is one I outlined about communication. Some of the nurses are not there every day so that should be communicated. Patients will then be able to contact more than one nurse and ensure a response.
Dr. Rosen understood the "fragile" circumstances as I was delaying chemotherapy to be able to do IVF. He treated me and my husband well, answering questions patiently and even drawing out information to help us understand what we could expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth "Liz" Gomes)
Liz was very nurturing and caring! She was not always there, however, so I think that came off as lack of communication. Dr. Rosen was the constant there in terms of having a constant. Liz is a very sweet woman and patient. One nurse who drew my blood stands out as terrible. I may have been dehydrated and needed water. Instead, she jabbed the needle in my arm probably five times, hurting me incredibly. They need to ensure more training when it comes to this!
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen was straightforward but showed compassion. He is incredibly busy but made sure that he responded to me. Sometimes a nurse wouldn't get back to me and I would message him. He was always responsive and ensured I was heard. Also, when I suffered OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome) unexpectedly, he helped me make the appointment to drain the fluids free of charge. Working with Dr. Rosen made me feel cared for.
I would say to communicate very directly and just follow up if you don't hear a response right away as he is a very busy person. He is more on the straightforward side than the "nurturing" side.
I think my situation was quite standard, or at least standard for a cancer patient. He spelled out exactly what the timeline would be. The nurse, Liz Gomes, was the one who walked me and my husband through the injections and how to ensure best success. I went into UCSF every morning for those two weeks to get my blood tested. I underwent an ultrasound every other day. One thing that did get lost a bit in translation was during the last couple of days. I was unclear when exactly retrieval would be. Overall, the situation was a success!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
Not quite sure, maybe $15,000-$20,000?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
UCSF is a highly regarded and well-respected provider in the Bay Area...They are always well-organized and on top of things. As mentioned earlier, because UCSF is a teaching hospital, they only believe in evidence-based medicine. This isn't necessarily a con, except if you want to try "non-conventional methods" to boost your fertility/pregnancy experience, i.e. acupuncture, traditional chinese medicine, vitamins, etc. Again, it's based on your patient philosophy and what you're looking for in a provider.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a highly regarded and well-respected provider in the Bay Area. I haven't tried other fertility clinics, but from what I know, they also charge reasonable rates (if you can call fertility rates reasonable) compared to the other clinics. They are always well-organized and on top of things. As mentioned earlier, because UCSF is a teaching hospital, they only believe in evidence-based medicine. This isn't necessarily a con, except if you want to try "non-conventional methods" to boost your fertility/pregnancy experience, i.e. acupuncture, traditional chinese medicine, vitamins, etc. Again, it's based on your patient philosophy and what you're looking for in a provider.
Dr. Rosen is a good guy. I remember he showed a lot of compassion during our initial consultation and made sure we felt like we were in good hands. I walked away from our initial meeting with a great impression of UCSF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Jenniches)
I love Dr. Rosen's care team. Every one of them is well organized and compassionate. Annie Brunelli is the coordinator and can help you schedule appointments, place orders for lab tests, etc.. She always has a cheery voice on the other end of the phone. I love everyone of the nurses on Dr. Rosen's care team - Stephanie Jenniches, Elizabeth Gomes, Katrina (don't know her last name!)...they are all wonderful. Liz sounds like your fertility best friend and is always friendly and warm. Both Stephanie and Katrina handled my miscarriage (and subsequent manual uterine aspiration procedure) extremely well. They were professional, showed empathy, and really cared about my health. They are all amazing.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen knows what he is doing and I trust him. Our fertility process is still ongoing and has been extremely difficult, but Dr. Rosen has been very helpful along the way. He's not pushy at all and tries to start with the least invasive approach to help you. I recently had a miscarriage (from natural conception) and it's taken a huge emotional toll on me. Instead of rushing me to IVF, Dr. Rosen recommended that I take a break, get back on my feet, and then call him to proceed with IVF. Part of me wants to rush into things, but part of me is secretly thanking him for telling me to pause and recover first.
Dr. Rosen can be a little quirky. He's also director of the lab and can geek out over scientific methods, evidence, etc.. If that's not your cup of tea, then you might want to look for another provider. Also, keep in mind that as a teaching hospital, UCSF only practices evidence-based medicine. So some patients may perceive them as being too conservative or not risky enough (for example, they're not too enthusiastic about combining fertility treatments with eastern medicine). It depends on the type of provider you want.
We started with 3 rounds of IUI (first two with clomid, last with injectables). Dr. Rosen wanted us to start with the least invasive procedure first and see how it goes. I didn't react well to the clomid, so we upped the treatment to injectables during the 3rd round (which led to a much higher number of mature follicles). Sadly, the IUIs didn't work out. For our future treatment plan, we will increase the amount of injectables (basically do IVF). If &lt;3 follicles mature, then we will do IUI. If &gt;3 follicles mature, we will do IVF. Please wish us luck.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
It is a busy clinic [UCSF], so IUI's are often performed by a NP, unless you specifically request a doctor perform them. You are also not likely to have your doctor perform all your procedures, if at all...he hardest thing dealing with UCSF is communicating with the care team and your doctor. It's a busy clinic, so, you have to wait for someone to call you back if you wish to speak to a live person...They failed to provide the Day 1 fertilization report and had to chase them down the next day. They also keep trying to put me with NP's even though my chart says "attending only"
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It is a busy clinic, so IUI's are often performed by a NP, unless you specifically request a doctor perform them. You are also not likely to have your doctor perform all your procedures, if at all. If you want a very personalized experience, you're probably best going to a smaller, private clinic.
It was more of a number feeling when we were going through the IUI's. However, since we had an extremely long process to even get to that stage and given post-surgery complications, Dr. Rosen has been very involved in our process. At times, it feels like it takes awhile to get a response to questions, but it's because the staff waits for his answer or because he personally calls us to respond.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
The hardest thing dealing with UCSF is communicating with the care team and your doctor. It's a busy clinic, so, you have to wait for someone to call you back if you wish to speak to a live person. That being said, I feel that my nurse and Dr. Rosen's assistant does always try and make an attempt to get back to you that day, or at the latest, within a business day. But, I almost always get a respond that day (unless we're at the close of business).
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Up front, if you want a doctor who will literally hold your hand throughout the process, this isn't going to happen. If you want a candid and honest approach about your fertility chances and the process, then Dr. Rosen will do this. While I personally understood conversations and meetings, I know my spouse would sometimes be confused or have questions later on. Admittedly, it is probably very different being the one who actually goes through all the procedures versus just having to hear it as the spouse. However, Dr. Rosen took the time to go back and walk through everything and the future steps to make sure we were all on the same page. One frustrating thing, is that Dr. Rosen will not go into a whole of details if something doesn't succeed, as in, will you have to deal with X or Y. He will tell you that oftentimes, or at least in my case, there's too many variables to predict what course of action will be most effective or recommended. There have been a few bumps in the road here and there, but we've managed to work through them. Dr. Rosen does understand that ultimately, as the one going through both the physical and mental anxiety of the process, ultimately, you should do what feels best for you.
Don't expect a touchy-feely type doctor. Be ready for a matter of fact approach and demeanor. I think he does get uncomfortable if you cry, so be prepared. But I do think he does feel for his patients and does try his hardest to get you pregnant.
Since I have DOR, we were put onto the estrogen protocol. The first cycle I produced 7 follicles, which was good given my situation. Five eggs were mature and two fertilized but did not make it to blast. The second cycle was a bit random because it came on the heels of a hysteroscopy. I actually produced 11 follicles, but only 2 fertilized among the ones retrieved. He changed the protocol to a clomid flare, which produced the most follicles to date and most eggs retrieved. 15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, and again, only 2 fertilized. It was very devastating. The last four were frozen at day 3. If we do another retrieval, there will be a change to the protocol to try and address the low fertilization rates.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
You get a discount if you self-pay your IVF cycles. Medicines are separate. If your insurance does not cover certain procedures you must pay OOP.
No comment since we're not there yet.
6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
Molly Dunn made mistakes with our day 5 blasts slated to be tested. We were instructed that the protocol would be we would get a call from the genetic counselor with the day 5 results and then our embryos would be sent to be Pgs tested. We never received a call, were anxious and had to call multiple people at UCSF to relay our message to the genetic counselor to please call us with the results. When we finally reached her she informed she had sent our embryos to the lab . She did not call me, the patient and person she was supposed to contact. She called my husband with this news. She did not wait for our approval to send the blasts. We had not yet given instructions if these blast biopsies were to be tested right away or wait to be beach tested with additional blasts from a future cycle. She took it upon herself to make that decision for us , for no reason except her incompetence .
6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths- certain doctors like Dr cedars are really great, personable , make the process a little easier to get thru. Some of the admin staff though are a challenge to work with . One nurse was inconsistent , gave contradictory info from past nurses and could not explain why the differences, was not helpful in answering questions and did not give clear calendars. One cycle she gave me 3-4 versions because she had to keep fixing items. The genetic counselor Molly Dunn was incompetent and rude. She was incentive and careless and gave us the wrong info, initially telling us we had 3 Pgs normal embryos when the reality was our 3 embryos were aneuploidy. She corrected herself but did not even apologize acknowledging how hurtful her mistake was. She refused to schedule a call with us to discuss results and only sent emails . She argued with me on the phone when trying to explain herself.
She listened to me and what my concerns were before giving any suggestions for further treatment . She sympathized with my emotions and took them into account during our consultations
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona gurkan)
Current nurse Teona gurkan is great. There seems to be high turnover though and I've had two other nurses on the first cycle with dr cedars and three nurses with my other dr 's 3 cycles
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She is was very compassionate, understanding, patient, and responsive . She was very responsive in to all our questions. She was very helpful giving info on various studies, and making sure we were coming connects to anyone else in the UCSF administration we needed to for the various departments
Be honest, ask her any question you want about ivf, you will get great responses and feel well informed about your care
Demihalt protocol , with omnitrope to help increase number of follicles being stimulated
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [UCSF] run very on time, I'm usually in and out very quickly for the regular ultrasound check; the staff is all very nice and professional; the office is always clean; I don't think they allow babies and children in the waiting room which is nice. I felt like they did their best to find programs to help up pay for treatment, since my insurance doesn't cover anything. It's never enough of course, but I can tell they really tried and did find us some options, especially for medication include a $100 coupon for one of the pharmacies. I wish they had a payment plan rather than having to pay up front, but I expect that that is a pretty standard policy. Overall I've been exceptionally happy with UCSF.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
They run very on time, I'm usually in and out very quickly for the regular ultrasound check; the staff is all very nice and professional; the office is always clean; I don't think they allow babies and children in the waiting room which is nice. I felt like they did their best to find programs to help up pay for treatment, since my insurance doesn't cover anything. It's never enough of course, but I can tell they really tried and did find us some options, especially for medication include a $100 coupon for one of the pharmacies. I wish they had a payment plan rather than having to pay up front, but I expect that that is a pretty standard policy. Overall I've been exceptionally happy with UCSF.
Dr. Noel has been extraordinarily kind and patient while we asked questions, sometimes over and over; she remembers us in detail every time we see her and it feels like we're also friends; she says things like, "I was thinking about you guys the other day, and I think we should try X" or "I asked for a colleagues advice..." just showing that she knows our case inside and out and is really thinking about whats best for us rather than following a formula or a standard treatment procedure without tailoring it to us. She emails with us directly and understands that since we live two hours away sometimes it's nice to have discussion appointments over the phone. She gives us our options AND her honest, professional opinion. She is honest when our cycle doesn't go as well as she hoped (or we hoped), and we talk about why and she helps us set reasonable expectations for moving forward, while continuing to be hopeful and find options for us. I can't say enough good things about her. And her team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga Salamanca)
Olga is amazing too! We've been so lucky. She often gets an email from me then picks up the phone to call me to chat about my question. She likes to plan my cycle in detail ahead of time (just like me!), she's very kind and personably, like Dr. Noel, good at the serious stuff but is also quick to laugh with you. She commiserates in a totally appropriate way, and I always feel like she is on top of things and totally has my back.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
She is extremely approachable, easy to talk to, is not judgmental at all about "stupid" questions (just to say there isn't anything I would be embarrassed or hesitant to ask her), she's thorough and very reasonable, she does the serious talks with kindness and gives straightforward answers, but she also is personable and will laugh with you about all of the ridiculous moments that inevitably happen throughout this process. She will talk short game and long game, and when she (very appropriately) raised the possibility we might need to resort to donor eggs and I was not emotionally prepared to talk about it, she respected that. But I know that if we got closer to that point, she would approach it again kindly (as she should). I trust her to tell me the truth in a way and at the time that I'm ready.
Nothing specific to Dr. Noel, only general advice about entering this process or seeing any doctor, like make a list of questions and be sure to write down the answers they give because you can't remember everything, things like that.
I am 30 with DOR (very very low AMH and AFC 10). We did three IVF retrieval cycles, one of which we cancelled before the retrieval, all to freeze embryos. Cycle 1: Estrace for mild supression, stims of 300 IU Follistim, 150 IU Menopur, adding Ganirelix. Trigger was Pregnyl with Follistim co-trigger. 4 follicles at time of retrieval, 3 eggs retrieved, 1 mature, it fertilized with ICSI, and was frozen on day 3. (Yield: 1 embryo) Cycle 2: half dose Estrace, start with Clomid (100 mg), 300 IU Follistim, 150 IU Menopur- canceled cycle before retrieval. (Yield: 0 embryos) Cycle 3: Lupron strting 6 days after ovulation, stims of 300 IU Follistim, 150 IU Menopur, and omnitrope. Trigger was Novarel with Follistim co-trigger. 5 follicles at time of retrieval, 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized with ICSI, 2 looked great and were frozen on day 3, while 1 was poorer quality and so was grown to dat 5 to see how it went then it didn't make it. (Yield: 2 embryos) We did not do PGS and so are very nervous about the egg quality, and 3 embryos doesn't give much "wiggle room" for failed transfers, miscarriage, aneuploidy, etc., especially since we would love 2 kids. We're hoping for one more IVF cycle to get a total of 5 embryos is possible.
$27,000 for cycles $10,700 for medication
We will only be transferring 1 embryo at a time, for two reasons. 1) we have very very few, we can't mess around with them. 2) I'm fairly young and my uterus looks good, so we should have a higher implantation rate.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
patients [at UCSF] are attended by different doctors and nurses once the protocol is defined by the patient & doctor...Liz Gomes, the nurse in Dr. Rosen's care team, was my key contact during the cycle. Liz is extremely caring and empathetic. She is super reliable with a fast response time and is very patient in answering even the most basic questions. Both Dr. Rosen and Liz were fully invested in our care...The UCSF team - from the front-desk staff to the nurses, doctors, embryologists (who I got to briefly meet during embryo transfer) - are truly world-class professionals who care about their patients. From the beginning we felt we were in the very best hands for fertility treatment.
European, Latino
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The UCSF team - from the front-desk staff to the nurses, doctors, embryologists (who I got to briefly meet during embryo transfer) - are truly world-class professionals who care about their patients. From the beginning we felt we were in the very best hands for fertility treatment. This is important because throughout the treatment (e.g., ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc), patients are attended by different doctors and nurses once the protocol is defined by the patient & doctor. It can take a while to get an appointment with Dr. Rosen, and the billing process can be complex - but it is fully worth it!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Mitchell Rosen is an exceptional fertility expert, in every way: - Dr. Rosen has the rare combination of being scientific, straight-forward, direct and realistic about the fertility treatment process, options, and trade-offs while also being extremely caring and kind. His explanations are thorough and make complexity easy to understand. I experienced this from our very first appointment with Dr. Rosen, when we learned our fertility challenges were due not only to male factor, but also female factor. Dr. Rosen explained the options, trade-offs, odds, and gave us the space we needed to decide how to move forward. - He is on top of and driving the latest fertility research; it is clear he applies his wealth of knowledge when carefully considering how to customize the protocol and what is being learned from each cycle. We did 4 cycles for embryo freezing and fresh embryo transfer: Dr. Rosen customized each cycle considering how my body responded to previous cycles and what was the latest research. Despite my low follicle count (4 at baseline scan as opposed to 20+), his relentless analytical mindset led to a 4th cycle which yielded 15+ day 3 embryos and 6 blastocysts at day 5 (previous cycles had yielded 3, 5, and 3 embryos at day 3). - Fertility treatment can be long and draining. In my experience Dr. Rosen acted not only as a doctor, but also as a partner fully invested in a successful outcome. In every interaction with him my husband and I had no doubt that he was as committed as we were to a positive outcome and shared in our stumbles and successes along the way. This was clear after changes to the protocol in the 3rd cycle didn't yield the response we were looking for - Dr. Rosen was as upset (or more) than I was. He also geeked out with my husband over probability theory to help us decide how many embryos to freeze and was fully empathetic in my first cycle, hugging and telling me it was ok to be "greedy" and want all my few follicles to mature despite the low count and size distribution during the cycle.
1st cycle: "standard" protocol for patient with diminished ovarian reserve - estrogen during first month followed by injections of Folistim (300), Menopour (150), Ganorelix. Goal: learn how my ovaries would react to the treatment, with expectation of 0-1 day 3 frozen embryo. Results: 3 day 3 frozen embryos. 2nd cycle: If I remember correctly, same protocol was followed, with adjustment on timing of egg retrieval. 5 day 3 frozen embryos. 3rd cycle: addition of growth hormone. Results: 3 day 3 frozen embryos. 4th (final) cycle: removal of growth hormone, double dose of estrogen, egg retrieval 38 hours after trigger shot (as opposed to 36). Result: double number of eggs, most mature, 14 day 3 embryos, 6 day 5 embryos, 2 embryos transferred, 1 healthy baby.
IVF, Donor Eggs
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly to the nurses [at UCSF] and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth... I think we saw him [Dr. Victor Fujimoto] twice, but had probably 7 or 8 different visits. I found the residents to be FAR better than him.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The results were great. Pregnant on the first try with the first transfer. You can't argue with that. (Also, note, not using own eggs, so statistically we were highly likely.)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Fujimoto often forgot basic facts of my profile, e.g. during an exam (i.e. when I was on the table, legs wide open!) he asked me if I had been pregnant before, something we had reviewed twice before. Fujimoto also explained "next steps" to us that we had already completed. Fujimoto also asked us to fill out paperwork already filled out twice.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly to the nurses and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
We got pregnant on the first try. But I would not attribute this to Fujimoto, rather the other people and the clinic. He was a little checked-out. But friendly. I think we saw him twice, but had probably 7 or 8 different visits. I found the residents to be FAR better than him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Sure, use him, but don't expect much from him. You will get the value and interaction with residents and nurses.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth.
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Strongly advocated for single transfer, which is what we wanted anyway.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
Getting the first appointment is the hardest part. Once you are in and have met with your doctor, the process moves quickly. The set up for the IVF cycle is wonderful - they have it down to an art form. This is especially important when you need to go in every other day or daily. Their early hours are great for working professionals. Also everyone on staff is very friendly and supportive. Also the classes to get you ready for IVF are very well done and helpful.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with UCSF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Linda Giudice at UCSF?
The office staff was very caring, my lead nurse was very caring and very responsive throughout the whole process, and Dr. Giudice was always kind and took the time to answer all the questions we had. Also I suffered a miscarriage during the process - not as a result of the IVF process - and the team called to check-in and see if I was ok. The whole process was difficult but everyone at UCSF made it a bit more manageable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Allison Chamberlaine)
Allison was very kind throughout the whole process. She was very responsive over email and phone whenever I had any questions. She was very supportive and showed lots of compassion when I had a miscarriage.
How was your experience with Linda Giudice at UCSF?
Dr. Giudice is very knowledgeable and was always willing to answer all the questions I had for her. She was very patient and really talked through all options with us for as long as needed. She performed one of my first surgeries to remove a uterine septum and was very caring throughout the whole process. She was also supportive when I suffered a miscarriage and really seemed to care about my husband and me as people.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Linda Giudice at UCSF?
Don't be afraid to ask questions to make sure you are clear about everything that is going to happen. She is very knowledgeable and is always willing to take the time to make sure everything is clear.
Describe the protocols Linda Giudice used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I cannot remember details at this time. The protocol was built around my endometriosis and previous experiences with other medications. The IVF cycle was successful the first time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Linda Giudice at UCSF.
All procedures were covered by my insurance. I had a $25 copay for each appointment (excluding IVF monitoring appointments). I had a $8000 medication coverage limit so we had to pay out of pocket after we hit that total. I believe those out of pocket costs were $1000-2000.
Linda Giudice
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I was 100% out of pocket, so each IVF was just under $20k... that includes medications, ICSI, embryo freezing, etc...Liz [a nurse at UCSF fertility] is an all around amazing nurse and person - she was my angel throughout this process. I'm sure I drove her nuts with questions and emails, but she never showed it. She was extremely responsive, always compassionate and caring, and my biggest cheerleader.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The new clinic on Illinois street is beautiful - extremely modern, clean, and high tech. You are definitely getting your moneys worth. The clinic staff are all so sweet, I had an all around great experience.
Dr. Rosen treated me like he was his only patient - even though I know he has hundreds. He would remember my history without looking at my chart, even remembering specifics of prior treatments etc.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz is an all around amazing nurse and person - she was my angel throughout this process. I'm sure I drove her nuts with questions and emails, but she never showed it. She was extremely responsive, always compassionate and caring, and my biggest cheerleader.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
I'm not exaggerating when I say there is literally no doctor better or more qualified than Dr. Rosen. From my initial consult with him until the very last pregnancy ultrasound, he has been positive, kind, caring, and confident that I would get pregnant. It has been quite a long road for me and my husband, with PCOS, low sperm count, multiple IUIs, and a couple IVF cycles - but Dr. Rosen never lost hope and was always so encouraging that we would find the perfect protocol for me. He was so thorough at every appointment, explaining everything in detail, explaining what he was changing and why that would effect the outcome of the cycle. Not only is he an extremely intelligent and highly skilled doctor - he's also a genuinely kind and down to earth person, always bringing humor, kindness, and compassion to every appointment. I know that Dr. Rosen has hundreds of patients, but he has a way of making you feel like you are his only patient - the most important one. He remembers my history without looking at a chart, and is all around just a great person and amazing doctor. I literally could not have gotten through the last couple of years without the help of my amazing doctor, Dr. Rosen... He wasn't only concerned about success rates (like other clinics who turned me away), he was worried about me, my well being, and helping make my dreams come true... and he did as I am now almost in my second trimester with my first baby. I can't wait to go back for him for baby #2.
San Francisco
Dr Rosen and his Team [at UCSF] are bar none the best fertility team you can ever work with. They are very professional. They are with you each and every step of the way Dr Rosen and his staff are very accommodating and they are prompt when returning your phone call as well as they will make you feel comfortable and Dr Rosen and his staff are straight forward they don't waste time and they make sure before you leave they you understand everything step by step. They are great and they take pride of everything they do and make time for each and every patient and the care and will never leave you confused. Dr Rosen and his staff are top notch you will not regret it if you ch
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic they are all professional and very accommodating and they pay attention to your needs
He made sure that I understood everything and without any hesitation he agreed to perform surgery to become a mom and it's what I wanted and he made that happen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Gomes )
She communicates with u and support u all the way
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
DR. ROSEN and his TEAM at UCSF REPRODUCTIVE CENTER 499 Illinois st San Francisco ca Dr Rosen and his Team are bar none the best fertility team you can ever work with. They are very professional. They are with you each and every step of the way Dr Rosen and his staff are very accommodating and they are prompt when returning your phone call as well as they will make you feel comfortable and Dr Rosen and his staff are straight forward they don't waste time and they make sure before you leave they you understand everything step by step. They are great and they take pride of everything they do and make time for each and every patient and the care and will never leave you confused. Dr Rosen and his staff are top notch you will not regret it if you chose Dr Rosen I have recommended my friends and family who are doing ivf and looking for a fertility specialist and I recommended Dr Rosen and his Staff and they are pretty excited and happy. And I wouldn't go to anyone else for fertility or recommend anyone but Dr Rosen and his Team. Dr Rosen did my embryo transfer the first time and I'm pregnant....
Just talk to him and he will listen and he will alway be up front with u about everything
Progesterone, estradiol, leuprolide
$13000
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We sat in the waiting room [at UCSF] for an hour and had to delay the transfer because they couldn't seem to find a room to put us in. Every 20 minutes or so I would ask but they would just tell me someone was coming to get me...the nurse we worked with on all our IUIs and IVF #1 tried to sign us up for IVF Orientation forgetting we'd already done it... my protocol said one thing and the voicemail they left said another regarding the trigger shot...our final phone appointment with the doctor, he never showed up. We had to call the after-hours line and have him paged. No explanation or apology for missing the appointment (and this was the appointment where he told us we probably shouldn't move forward with anymore ART)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: Beautiful new offices overlooking the bay in a GREAT facility that seems top-notch. Awesome doctors. Constantly researching. Great nurses who are lovely to deal with. Weaknesses: You're literally just a number and have to stay on top of your own care (make sure you call them for results, request materials that were promised, insure your meds are ordered). There are so many moving parts in IVF between the pharmacies, the insurance, the financing company, the doctors, etc I appreciate how many things they did get right, but I definitely have a bitter taste in my mouth when I think about the experience. I think they are just overwhelmed with cases.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at UCSF?
With IVF there were frequent issues with mixing up my file with someone else's, forgetting to send me calendars for cycles, late to phone appointments, mistakes on my calendar (dosage says one thing in print, different in their voicemails). My good friend used the same doctor and nurses and had a very different experience so I think perhaps my expectations were too high. In her case they called her every afternoon with daily blood draw results, etc. In my case, I had to call them for that after not hearing from them. As a doctor in the room with you he and his staff are great, but logistically, I didn't feel like I was getting the care that the epic cost warrants. Doing IUI was even worse, they would wait too long to order the trigger shot and it would be hours of phone time fighting with insurance and the mail-order pharmacy to get the necessary shot mailed to me in time. Way too stressful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga was a lovely person and seemed like someone who is HYPER organized but just had too much going on. She'd forget to call me with results, forget to send me the calendar when we scheduled a phone call to review my calendar, and our second cycle seemed to forget we had already done a previous cycle with her (she tried to sign us up for the orientation class). This stuff really upset me because I wanted to feel cared for. I've been with my husband for 19 years and this was our last shot at trying to make a baby (and we delayed even trying because we wanted to get out of debt...this put us back into debt and I wanted to get the very best). Every nurse I met with for monitoring, retrievals, etc. was kind, patient and really wonderful. I just had issue with the logistical side.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
I think Doctor Tran was actually a great doctor. He was honest and upfront and compassionate. I felt I knew what to expect and I appreciated after both IVFs failed that he was honest about how we probably shouldn't bother to continue and waste money and go through the emotional trauma. My issues are mostly with the clinic and caseload and feeling like a number. He has since left UCSF so not too much to say.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at UCSF?
Be prepared to deal with UCSF.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Both IVF cycles I used the Demi-Halt Protocol which seems to be common for women with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. This means definitely no birth control pills, but instead doing 10 unit Lupron injections for a cycle, followed by stims in the next cycle. First IVF I was on 225 Follistim and 150 Menopur. Trigger shot was Pregnyl 10,000 units (I believe with another big dose of Follistim). After stims I was on Progesterone in Oil injections as well as Estrace. I got 6 eggs from that cycle. 5 were mature. They did Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) on all 5 and 4 of them fertilized. We went in for a day 3 transfer and were told that all our embryos stopped dividing except one and it wasn't great quality. We transferred the one and it failed. IVF was the same protocol except we added two things. First, we added Omnitrope injections which can sometimes help with egg quality. Second, we did co-culture which can help with the division issue. Unfortunately, this actually seemed to hurt rather than help. We got 7 eggs, but only 4 were mature. 3 fertilized with ICSI and two of them made it to day 3, but they were of worse quality than our first cycle. Since they were too poor of quality to freeze we ended up transferring both. Again, negative pregnancy test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at UCSF.
All my IUIs were covered by insurance so I just paid co-pays. For IVF nothing was covered, so we purchased a financing package through ARC both times. It was $12,216.98 for a one fresh cycle package (included a frozen cycle but we never got to use it). Then we paid out of pocket $2000 for ICSI. We did the same thing for cycle 2 paying an additional $850 for Embryo Co-Culture. We paid for all the medications out of pocket. Cycle two's meds were $3575. Cycle one was a little cheaper because some friends gave me their leftover medications AND I found some manufacturer coupons online. I can't remember the totals though.
San Francisco
Unfortunately, I had no coverage for IVF. Costs for my medications were around $4,000 to $5,000 per cycle, and cost for the procedure itself (monitoring appointments, retrieval and anesthesia, fertilization, and transfer) was around $11,000...I felt like I was under his care the entire time--though UCSF has a shared practice and I occasionally saw other doctors for my various visits and check-ins, I always felt like Dr. Tran was the one overseeing my care, and I appreciated the continuity. He was proactive in my treatment, and always communicative about why he was recommending next steps. My husband and I both felt like we were in excellent hands.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The brand-new Center for Reproductive Health at UCSF is fantastic. Beautifully and thoughtfully built and laid out, it has what can only be described as a spa-like atmosphere (as far as you can, in a medical setting!). There are different waiting rooms for patients waiting for different procedures. The exam rooms have all the latest bells and whistles, and everything seems to have been designed with the patients' comfort and privacy in mind. Prior to signing on, CRH offers informational sessions on what to expect / the basics of reproductive health and assistance, and they put you in touch with someone in billing who can help you sort out your coverage (if you are lucky enough to have it) and answer questions. Unlike at Kaiser SF, the CRH specifically asks patients not to bring young kids to the practice, as a gesture of sensitivity to what the patience are going through. I appreciated this.
I appreciated Dr. Tran's direct and kind manner. He was matter-of-fact when discussing our situation with us and I think set very realistic expectations. He was readily available by phone when we had questions and extremely reassuring when I got anxious about a few different things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
After a less than stellar experience at Kaiser SF, I cannot praise Olga enough. I felt SO WELL TAKEN CARE OF. Everything from the initial paperwork (which can be quite daunting) to scheduling appointment to obtaining medications, etc., could not have been easier. Olga and the rest of the folks at UCSF CRH do an amazing job of making what is a yucky, annoying, complicated process as smooth and easy as possible. Olga herself was proactive in calling to schedule appointments, returning calls and answering questions, putting me in touch with Dr. Tran directly when necessary, and getting me moving through the whole process. I really really felt like I was in good hands.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Dr. Tran was a gem. Direct, kind, compassionate, and patient. I felt like I was under his care the entire time--though UCSF has a shared practice and I occasionally saw other doctors for my various visits and check-ins, I always felt like Dr. Tran was the one overseeing my care, and I appreciated the continuity. He was proactive in my treatment, and always communicative about why he was recommending next steps. My husband and I both felt like we were in excellent hands.
I can't think of a thing -- he is great!
I had already tried several cycles (eight, I believe) at Kaiser of letrozole with timed intercourse and IUI, and two cycles of injectables with IUI with no success. When I finally asked about IVF at Kaiser, my doctor there discouraged me from doing it at Kaiser for a few reasons; namely that their IVF facilities are very limited and they wouldn't be able to see me for a few months. So by the time I got to Dr. Tran we knew we were there for IVF and began with that protocol. My first cycle on injectables in preparation for IVF I had no response--I produced either one or two eggs. So we did another IUI (so as not to waste the cycle) with no results. Discouraged, we had a good phone call with Dr. Tran where he encouraged us to try again, saying as much as they can do for us it also always comes down to a bit of luck and the unknown. After taking a couple of cycles off due to travel and the holidays, we tried again and had a successful retrieval and implantation.
6 Eggs Frozen
...It's [UCSF Fertility] academic reputation and proximity to my work made it very appealing. However, as great as my primary care team was, I was surprised by the disorganized and perfunctory way they look after patient cases. There were two times when an automated voicemail would say come in for a visit but then the personnel I was supposed to see thought we had a phone consult. It was rare that an appt started on time - usually I had to wait 15-20 min.
6 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I saw Dr. Tran at UCSF. It's academic reputation and proximity to my work made it very appealing. However, as great as my primary care team was, I was surprised by the disorganized and perfunctory way they look after patient cases. There were two times when an automated voicemail would say come in for a visit but then the personnel I was supposed to see thought we had a phone consult. It was rare that an appt started on time - usually I had to wait 15-20 min. Plus the orientations and workshops they gave on treatments and medications mixed us egg freezers with IVF patients which was confusing and awkward at times given the differences in our situations and goals. Even the orientation binder was this overwhelming book of photocopies and admin paperwork not clearly organized with patient needs in mind. I think they get great volume but at times sacrifice the personal touch.
Dr. Tran made me feel like a human because he thoughtfully and carefully talked me through the process and explained exactly my personal probability of success. He made sure all my questions were answered and that I was comfortable with my decision. I would recommend him to anyone seeking care.
Olga is great. Throughout my experience, I found Olga very organized, responsive, and reliable. She even helped me run prescriptions through two pharmacies because I was mindful of out-of-pocket expenses. She has such a warm personality too, and balances friendly support with her clinical professionalism.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
I had an excellent experience with Dr. Tran. From the very beginning and throughout the treatment procedure, he was courteous, patient, and caring, and very respectful of my time and questions. I walked in freeling a little overwhelmed by all I had read on the Internet, and within 10 minutes after my ultrasound, I knew exactly what my options were, and what my personal treatment plan with projected outcomes would be. The whole procedure went exactly as planned. Dr. Tran even came back early from vacation to personally perform my retrieval. I am very glad I trusted him with my treatment and recommend him highly.
Try not to be anxious and take advantage of this time to pamper and take care of yourself. I also spoke with many friends who were either had frozen their eggs or were undergoing related treatments, and that sense of camaraderie and community was so helpful.
I tracked all of this in a treatment diary spreadsheet and have the exact doses, dates, timing. At a high level: primed with Lupron 11 days, then Menopur, Omnitrope, Follostim for 13 days, then the hCG trigger shot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at UCSF.
My insurance covered some of the medications. My costs: $6655 procedure plus initial consult plus 5 years storage $2167 meds $763 anaesthesia $303 labs $60 vitamins, ovulation kit Total was around $9500
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I had a great experience with this clinic [UCSF Fertility]. They always ran on time, facilities are brand new, and all of the doctors/nurses I saw were excellent. My only complaint about the clinic is between the pre-cycle coordinator, patient navigator, and billing dept, things can get very disjointed. I am lucky in that my insurance covered my procedures, but UCSF did very little upfront to help coordinate with my insurance (I had to stay on top of it every day to make sure things didn't fall through the cracks like required tests, prior authorizations, etc.). And there were multiple times I would have not gotten my medications on time if I hadn't been so on top of it.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I had a great experience with this clinic. They always ran on time, facilities are brand new, and all of the doctors/nurses I saw were excellent. My only complaint about the clinic is between the pre-cycle coordinator, patient navigator, and billing dept, things can get very disjointed. I am lucky in that my insurance covered my procedures, but UCSF did very little upfront to help coordinate with my insurance (I had to stay on top of it every day to make sure things didn't fall through the cracks like required tests, prior authorizations, etc.). And there were multiple times I would have not gotten my medications on time if I hadn't been so on top of it.
Dr. Fujimoto was kind and caring and always spent as much time with us as we needed. He was straightforward, but at the same time helped us weigh the pros and cons of certain decisions (in helping us make those decisions).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
Anna was my in cycle nurse and she was excellent. Very responsive, very clear in her communication, compassionate, etc.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
We had a great experience with Dr. Fujimoto. I think he really understood our set of circumstances and put protocols together that led to success. As previously mentioned, he is a great blend of caring and candid.
I went through one Antagonist IVF cycle with Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirilex. My body responded pretty aggressively and resulted in 24 eggs and ultimately 9 five-day blasts. We transferred 2 fresh blasts, and neither took. Dr. Fujimoto encouraged us to not get too upset, as he suspected it was possible my body rejected the embryos because it was still too overwhelmed from the aggressive response to the stimulation meds. For the frozen embryo round, he added Letrozole to the protocol (studies show it helps for women with endometriosis). We transferred two embryos and one was successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I was lucky in that insurance covered so I was out-of-pocket relatively little.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Primary nurse [at UCSF] was on leave, so others filled in. Bad communication. Felt like a number here!... The only thing that might have made me feel like a number was when I talked to the nurses (not the ones in the OR, but the ones who scheduled and went over meds with me - they were not nice or helpful). Also would have liked Dr. Cakmak to do all harvests and transfers, but I understand he couldn't be there every time.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF has quality doctors, state of the art facilities, and can handle your care...at a price! Too bad insurance doesn't cover ivf!
Dr. cakmak was with us during every step of our horrible, frustrating journey. We had a "post mortem" conversation after every failed cycle to evaluate what worked and what didn't and where to go from there. We didn't live close to the clinic, but Dr. Cakmak made time for us on the phone. However long it took to understand and talk through it. We also talked via phone during the process. I talked to the nurses too, but Dr. Cakmak's availability to me made me feel like he cared and was in this together with me. We also occasionally communicated via email. The only thing that might have made me feel like a number was when I talked to the nurses (not the ones in the OR, but the ones who scheduled and went over meds with me - they were not nice or helpful). Also would have liked Dr. Cakmak to do all harvests and transfers, but I understand he couldn't be there every time. He did do the last and final successful transfer (and many others along the way when he could be there).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Audra (she left))
Primary nurse was on leave, so others filled in. Bad communication. Felt like a number here!
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr. Cakmak is a very patient and dedicated doctor. He makes the time for his patients and is willing to entertain EVERY question. Since I had a diagnosis of unexplained infertility this was difficult to know what course of treatment to take. Through a series of trials (and trials and trials) and errors, we finally ruled out every reason. After transferring a pgs-normal 6aa embryo, it worked. Lots of time, money, tears and care went into having our son, and I feel like our success was Dr. Cakmak's as well. He was with us as a doctor, and also as a counselor.
Be patient. I know it really hurts to hear, but making babies takes time and can be an incredibly frustrating experience. It might not work the first or second or third or fourth time. Be prepared to pay for multiple cycles. You are stronger than you think.
We went to Dr. Cakmak after kaiser couldn't fit us in for a repeat cycle (when the first failed). At our first cycle (kaiser) we had A LOT of immature eggs. 17/22 harvested to be exact. This is not normal. Dr. C reviewed their evidence to harvest when they did and he would have made the same choice, so something was wrong not with protocol but with my response. We did another fresh cycle (with UCSF) and waited longer to harvest. I forget how many eggs they got. 17ish. More were mature. We had average losses by day 3 and 5. Transferred one that failed. Next time FET we transferred two. Failed. Next FET we tried uterine scratch and glue/hcg and it failed. We were out of embryos. We did another fresh cycle. Did a uterine biopsy and sent that away to determine if the timing was off. We had all embryos pgs tested. On our final cycle, we transferred 1 pgs normal 6aa embryo. I thought, there is no reason this shouldn't work...and finally it did. Our son was born healthy at 39 weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
$13k per fresh cycle plus meds ($5-6k). FETs were cheaper. I forget how much.
He prefers single embryo transfers. Twins are more risky and a lot more work as a parent!!!
2012 - 2014
IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
2012 - 2014
IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Yes, I always felt known by Marcelle and her team. I found them all to be kind, compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill was ALWAYS so responsive and organized. She answered every question and was always happy to follow-up. The day she had to call me with my pregnancy test results and they were negative, I could just feel how sorry she was she had to give me the news. I felt like she was always rooting for me. When we stopped pursuing IVF, she set me up with the on-staff psychiatrist to talk to me. Jill was great and to this day I feel like I can reach out with any question and she'd get right back to me!
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Marcelle Cedars exceeded my expectations in every way. She was amazing, and though I failed IVF and have not been able to have another child, I would still recommend her and UCSF very highly. My husband and I were very diligent about finding our doctor and we met with several, but we immediately connected with Marcelle. I always felt so lucky to have found the combination of incredible, cutting edge, world-class medicine and a lovely, compassionate bed side manner. Marcelle was incredible, and ultimately when it came time to stop pursuing another child she was very honest, but kind and she sat with us while we cried. I'm forever grateful for her understanding and kindness during the darkest days of my life. In addition to Marcelle, I saw many members of the UCSF fertility team. I could not have been more impressed with every one of them. There was only one doctor I didn't like, but they worked it so I didn't have to see him. One of the best doctors during that time was Dr. Zamah. Following a retrieval he had to tell me that we didn't get any eggs. That was a really, really hard day, but he sat with me, encouraged me and also showed a level of compassion I didn't expect from UCSF. I always said... I expected amazing medicine, I didn't expect the kindness. It's painful to go back and remember that time, because unlike many other women, I was not successful and it was the single most painful experience of my life, but I'm more than happy to share my story with any woman going through it. It's not such a unique club anymore, at least not in the Bay Area, but the pain is unique and only those of us who have walked this road truly understand what it's like. Thank you for putting this together.... I hope it helps many women!
I really don't have any advice. I just loved her and thought so highly of her!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The front desk [at UCSF] can be frustrating to deal with. They feel much more institutional than the rest of the staff, and it's here that you really realize you're dealing with a university hospital. Finance in particular can be a big pain. If you have a partner or friend who can advocate for you to deal with the finance people and even for scheduling, that may save you some stress...All of the nursing staff were good. I always felt they could have been a little warmer, because I was always in such a fragile state, but none of them were unkind.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The front desk can be frustrating to deal with. They feel much more institutional than the rest of the staff, and it's here that you really realize you're dealing with a university hospital. Finance in particular can be a big pain. If you have a partner or friend who can advocate for you to deal with the finance people and even for scheduling, that may save you some stress.
Dr. Cedars was willing to discuss my prognosis and explain the science behind her advice. She was empathetic and kind.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I was impressed both with Dr. Cedars' communication and her creativity in approaching my treatment. I'm very evidence-based, and I love how she pulled up research on her computer to show me what the current evidence is on IVF. But she wasn't just a data whiz, she also listened to my experience at my previous clinic and talked about why their approach might not have worked well for me. Then she explained how her approach would be different, and we immediately saw better results. Whenever I was able to see her in clinic or for a transfer, I felt comforted.
Insist as much as you can to have her do your retrieval(s) or transfer(s) personally. She's a busy woman so you have to assert yourself. But she's so worth it.
Her approach was to decrease my doses because my previous clinic had me on the highest doses possible and we weren't getting many follicles. Her theory was that I was overstimulated, and that was driving down the quality (and quantity) of eggs. So lower stim doses.
Approximately $12k per fresh IVF cycle
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Beautiful and brand-new clinic. Excellent nursing staff, great attention to me as a patient. Every experience at UCSF felt both cutting-edge and caring. Saw range of doctors during my care, which I had initially been concerned about, but all seemed fully-informed and compassionate. Overall an excellent experience.... Fantastic, responsive nursing staff. Excellent.... Second round will be out of pocket and roughly $13K before medicine
Investor
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with UCSF.
She took the time to get to know me and really paid attention to our experience.
Fantastic, responsive nursing staff. Excellent.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston was extremely knowledgeable and professional. She listened closely and gave us a pragmatic course of action, which we appreciated very much. I would note that I felt she changed her assessment of our chances (and her assessment of the quality of our results) regularly. For example, she’d say on one call that the results were entirely in line with expectations - and then on the next call that she was disappointed with the results. None of this changed the quality of care or outcomes, but it left us feeling a little confused about how to interpret the experience.
Make a complete list of questions to ask her - she’ll make the time with you during your visit, but hard to get her after that. Really try to push her for specifics around timing, probabilities, etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Insurance paid for first round. Second round will be out of pocket and roughly $13K before medicine
Froze embryo - did not transfer
San Francisco
Good facilities [at UCSF] but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay... For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Good facilities but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay.
She spoke from the heart and gave experiences of her own. She asked the right questions.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she gave me a clear path. After 3 IUI attempts, we should sit down and discuss alternatives. The difficulties would be scheduling an appointment with her for the follow up. For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
Be proactive in making your appointments and following up.
I was pregnant on my very first IUI so when I went back to UCSF to try for #2, I met with Dr. Huddleston. She had more availability than Dr. Rosen at the time. She recommended 3 IUI cycles since she felt I could get pregnant but rather it was a timing issue of the egg meeting the sperm. After 3 cycles (waiting on results on the 3rd now), I am going to meet with Dr. Huddleston again to determine the next course of action. I scheduled my meeting with the Dr. when I started the 3rd IUI cycle so I can see her asap.
San Francisco
[UCSF has a] Beautiful space Affordable compared to private clinics Great care all around Quick to call with test results Private post op rooms Views of the Bay Waiting rooms got a little crowded and the reading materials could be updated but who cares, really.... We finally found success using a luteal phase start. This way, they were able to catch the follicles before just one was recruited. It was a brilliant pivot when we kept having just one or two dominant follicles. As a result, we were able to recruit 7 mature eggs, all of which fertilized and grew to day 3. Just 4 made it to day 5. The other KEY thing about UCSF/Marcelle Cedars unlike previous experiences is her willingness to pivot when things weren't going as she or we had hoped. There was next to no ego or pretense. Just the very best care every time.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr. Marcelle Cedars was relentlessly human with us at every turn. We never felt like she was annoyed or rushed - rather, she took time to explain everything to us and even to explain historical aspects to us. We have never experienced care like hers. It was the most incredible experience amidst an otherwise painful and challenging experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill Ford is equally awesome and human and all around an incredible care giver. Smart, compassionate, genuine, human.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
The very best. I want E V E R Y O N E we know to go see Marcelle Cedars. She is a miracle worker and generally an incredible person. The most human doctor we've encountered in this very fraught field
GO SEE HER!
18k
One healthy baby!
San Francisco
I like the facility and location. Everything is new and clean. I do think they are understaffed as everyone seems to be running from one thing to the next...Paula was great and very helpful. However, I had a sense that she was too busy....We had a couple of meetings with Dr. Rinaudo but most of the time, we dealt with his assistant and nurses....here are some REs that are better than others but those are booked months if not years ahead
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I like the facility and location. Everything is new and clean. I do think they are understaffed as everyone seems to be running from one thing to the next. There are some REs that are better than others but those are booked months if not years ahead so as a new patient, I'd recommend you do your research and choose the physician you want to see instead of being assigned one.
Dr. Rinaudo gave me a sense that he is very busy. It's not that he would cut you off but I was given the impression that my time is up when I asked a lot of questions. He also didn't follow up after the treatment when it resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Paula was great and very helpful. However, I had a sense that she was too busy.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
We had a couple of meetings with Dr. Rinaudo but most of the time, we dealt with his assistant and nurses. At times, I felt like I shouldn't ask too many questions because I sensed that he's busy. It's not that Dr. Rinaudo was unfriendly, it's just that I didn't feel like he genuinely cared. I am just one of the many patients he's treating.
I guess I will say be firm and make sure you get to speak to him when you really need to
I was on the Estrace Priming Antagonist protocol. Since it was my first IVF, Dr Rinaudo said we would go with this and adjust accordingly. We didn't have to adjust anything so I think he selected the right protocol. However, of the 15 eggs retrieved, only 5 fertilized.
Around $15000
I've been reading more about the risks of multiple embryo transfer and I think going forward, I would do PGS and single embryo transfer.
San Francisco
All of the clinic staff [at UCSF] have been very friendly and welcoming. The one negative thing about the clinic is that they don't seem to enforce the no children at the clinic policy they have listed on their waitlist. I understand that things come up but it can be very hard to sit in a waiting room, waiting to meet with your doctor to discuss struggles of conceiving, and having babies/young children around. It can also take several days and persistent calling to reach someone from the finance team.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
All of the clinic staff have been very friendly and welcoming. The one negative thing about the clinic is that they don't seem to enforce the no children at the clinic policy they have listed on their waitlist. I understand that things come up but it can be very hard to sit in a waiting room, waiting to meet with your doctor to discuss struggles of conceiving, and having babies/young children around. It can also take several days and persistent calling to reach someone from the finance team.
Even if Dr. Noel is behind schedule she still takes the time to explain next steps and answer any questions I may have.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
I'm just starting my visits with Dr. Noel and will begin a medicated cycle next month but so far she's been really great explaining everything in a clear, concise, and straightforward manner. All of my appointments except one have been with Dr. Noel and the one time I saw her nurse was for a minor follow-up appointment. The only negative thing I've experienced thus far is having to wait for my appointment when she's behind schedule. When she is running late she's very apologetic.
She appreciates when you're armed with information about your cycle and specific questions you have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
Unfortunately our insurance doesn't cover any fertility costs so we're paying out of pocket. I haven't started a medicated cycle yet so I'm not sure how much that will cost but when paying out of pocket follow-up visits are $119, a transvaginal ultrasound is $243, and I believe an SA is $80.
San Francisco
The [UCSF] clinic runs very efficiently. The entire staff is nice, courteous, and respectful. If there is any downside, I would say it's runs like a machine since there are so many patients but the benefit is that there is a process for everything and that it runs as smoothly as possible...Nursing staff was excellent. The women at the front desk could not have been nicer and everyone we worked with was great. Even if when they were quiet, they were extremely respectful...Treatment & Retrieval is about $15k, Genetic testing is about another $4k...
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic runs very efficiently. The entire staff is nice, courteous, and respectful. If there is any downside, I would say it's runs like a machine since there are so many patients but the benefit is that there is a process for everything and that it runs as smoothly as possible.
We came to Dr. Noel to get a second opinion. We had previously been to a private practice and had no idea if they were incentivized to tell us to do IVF. She walked us through everything and made us feel super comfortable. She never gave false promises but also didn't just state the facts and move on.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
I could not have asked for a better doctor! She's the perfect combination of being realistic but still having an emotional/personal touch in everything that she does. She has made this process as seamless as it possibly could be.
You are in great hands and trust her expertise.
I started on Lupron and then used Menopur and Gonal F. I was very happy with the results and produced more eggs than expected. We also had more make it to day 5 than expected.
Treatment & Retrieval is about $15k, Genetic testing is about another $4k
We are genetically testing ours so it will be a single embryo transfer.
San Francisco
$20,000 for IVF (total, including meds.) Not sure on prices for IUI (my insurance covered.)...There were a few times [at UCSF Fertility] with my IUIs that the ultrasound date was scheduled too late, and I missed my ovulation window, resulting in a missed month. While this was heartbreaking, I learned to advocate on my own behalf to schedule my appointment checks earlier in the month...I've been working with Thuy for a long time. She is quick to call me back, and help me get sone what I need. I only wish that there system allowed for direct communication and leaving messages 24/7, don't just during business hours. If it's outside business hours you get routed through the standard phone tree.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I like that it's a teaching hospital. You get a lot of different caregivers, but this didn't bother me. I like that there is one dedicate care coordinator nurse that is your go-to. It is harder to develop a 1-1 close relationship with your doctor.
always would meet with me or talk on the phone if I asked. Also gave great explanations of what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Thuy Nguyen)
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
I like him. He is direct and comes across as honest and caring. He's a little bit awkward when it comes to bedside manner, but I take that as his "scientific" background, not that he doesn't care. Always asked how I was feeling, checked in on my husband, daughter, etc.
Make sure to schedule tie with him. As a research clinic, he typically won't be there at all of your appointments.
As minimal meds as possible. Always open to searching for generics, etc (meds cost savings.) Respectful of what my insurance would cover.
San Francisco
I had a good experience [at UCSF], but I have nothing else to compare it to. The clinic felt like a spa. Especially the egg retrieval area. I always felt like I was in good hands even with the other doctors I saw. It was actually nice to see multiple doctors during the stim phase. I had a chance to get different opinions of how the cycle was going. The nurse staff was all friendly and sweet. Payment was straight forward.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I had a good experience, but I have nothing else to compare it to. The clinic felt like a spa. Especially the egg retrieval area. I always felt like I was in good hands even with the other doctors I saw. It was actually nice to see multiple doctors during the stim phase. I had a chance to get different opinions of how the cycle was going. The nurse staff was all friendly and sweet. Payment was straight forward.
He spent a good amount of time with us in the beginning. And any time I ran into him in the hall during monitoring he remembered me and my case despite the fact that he sees tons of patients a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga Salamaca)
She did a good job, was on top of things and called me back right away to answer questions. I get a little flustered that they called to tell me the dose change, I wish she just e-mailed me so I could double check later at night when I was given the shots. But I think this is more hospital protocol than her fault.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
He is pragmatic and to the point. We had a simple issue to address and he had the answers. He ordered the right tests to get us the answers. There was not a lot of hand holding, but I didn't feel like I needed it. He kept it simple.
Ask the questions you want to ask. He will have a good answer.
I stimmed for 11 days, then had an egg retrieval and had a fresh transfer on day 5. So far it was a classic straight forward IVF cycle.
About $12,000
2012 - 2015
[UCSF Fertility] is a big busy clinic and you see a lot of different practitioners. After years of care here I felt known by them all, but if you like a more top to bottom by the same small team kind of care, this isn't a fit for you...All the nurses we worked with were compassionate and caring. They also knew their stuff!...The only real issues I had were with billing. Billing Dept was terrible.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It is a big busy clinic and you see a lot of different practitioners. After years of care here I felt known by them all, but if you like a more top to bottom by the same small team kind of care, this isn't a fit for you.
I loved Dr. Tran. He was always frank and we were an upsetting case for him...trying everything and finding no answers and no babies for so long. Our last few cycles, he did all our retrievals and transfers whether it was his week to do procedures or not. He was very invested in our care and our outcomes...cared about our mental health, our desires, our goals etc. I felt respected and understood as well as advised well.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
We has a complicated case of unexplained infertility and Dr. Tram talked us through so many potential options and things to try, always giving us a cost benefit analysis so we could make informed decisions. He was willing to try new things, experimental and things just being explored, and was open about them all, giving us the option to decide with his advise. We trusted him and maybe more importantly felt he trusted us.
He is straightforward and dry (sense of humor-wise ). Perfect for us, but not for everyone.
None, Other
Billing and paperwork is a nightmare there [at UCSF Fertility]. I sent my medical history over 3 times and they never got it. You can't get a hold of the billing department to get any questions answered.
None, Other
Dr. Rosen knew my name but I have only talked to him 3 times. I have never met my nurse but have had several calls with her. I mostly email with the admin. They seems scattered and disorganized and I often have to follow up with them to get results. Dr. Rosen is a sensitive doctor and you can tell he's good at it but it sometimes felt like he was desensitized and my case was not dissimilar to the next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
It felt like she was going through the motions and just talking to another patient. It felt rushed all the time and confused.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Appointment were timely, although the front desk is a bit scattered. But once you got in to see dr Rosen, at least the first time I met with him, I had a good feeling about him. He had a six sense but I also felt that he was 10 steps ahead of me. For instance, I got an hsg test done and the results sent over. It took some time to even get a call with dr Rosen and for about 5 min to discuss it. He instantly dismissed the fact that it said I may have one blocked tube. I asked if he saw the scans and he said he doesn't look at them anymore and can tell by reading the results. He didn't think I had a blocked tube and I guess he was right because I'm expecting.
Be proactive with your questions and on the procedures. Follow up constantly and when taking to dr Rosen, take notes. You might want to also be sure what choices and options you want to go down before you see him, if possible.
2013 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
UCSF is a big place, and they have a big program. It's easy to feel lost in the machine like environment that they create. If you have standard needs they will work for you. If you require more individualized care they are not the place for you...I had one cycle when there was a complete breakdown in communication from the doctor to the nursing staff and a cycle was canceled. It was very disappointing.
2013 - 2015
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr. Fujimoto was very professional, and he seemed interested in me as an individual, but I felt that the treatment options that he tried were part of a standard set of treatments that were not particularly sensitive to what might have resulted in success.
There was one nurse practitioner who was quite competent and compassionate, the rest were pretty dismissive, and although they saw me many times over three years never bothered to learn my name or take an interest in me. One whose name I blocked out told me that I was wasting my time, and that I was never going to get pregnant with my own eggs. I told the doctor that she should never speak to me again.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto is very knowledgeable and very experienced. He will tell you the truth and not sugarcoat it. If you present him with an option he is often willing to try it, but he tends to favor a very traditional and conservative approach.
Be proactive, and research your options.
IUI w/ clomid; IUI w/ follistim; IUI w/ Menopur; IVF w/ Menopur; mini IVF w/ clomid
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I was covered through insurance so do not know the cost of care.
2013 - 2014
The new Mission Bay campus [at UCSF Fertility] is a pretty different experience- very spa-like. But I find the front desk staff to be super friendly (Maria!) and all the nurses are great. Fantastic experience overall...I loved Olga! She was efficient and responsive. She was so excited when I finally got pregnant...I was trying to conceive with donor sperm. We did three IUIs and I had a chemical pregnancy and then a miscarriage. At 40 years old, my ratio of good eggs was likely low as I had no other diagnosed problems. I tried Clomid. I had another chemical pregnancy on the 6th try or so. Then we moved on to IVF. I did the egg retrieval, PGS-tested my embryos, did one failed transfer, and then one successful one.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The new Mission Bay campus is a pretty different experience- very spa-like. But I find the front desk staff to be super friendly (Maria!) and all the nurses are great. Fantastic experience overall.
Dr. Tran is excellent at addressing the emotional aspects of the fertility process. He always checked in on how I was doing and I needed that.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
My experience was fantastic. It was a longer road than we anticipated but I always felt that I was well-informed, supported, and getting the best care. He's very personable and easy to talk to. He's also extremely smart and cares about the families he works with.
He's accessible- use that. Ask all your questions- whether in the appointment or over email. He's very responsive and understanding.
It was fine- always in a certain hour like 7:30-8:30
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Tran was pretty adamant that I should only transfer one embryo at a time since I'm a single mom and definitely didn't want to risk twins. But by my second transfer, I talked him into transferring two. I was desperate for it to work. And it did. Now I feel like that was probably a bigger risk than I realized but he understood my emotional state and agreed.
2013 - 2014
Dr Rosen was very personable and I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind hanging out with him outside of the clinic. He was particularly a refreshing change after a year with Dr Cedars, whom I didn't really connect with on a human level.
Annie is great. Other person (forget her name) not as good. Still, you really have to harrass them sometimes to get much attention from them which is super annoying.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr Rosen was much more thorough and thoughtful in reviewing my history before our first meeting. I felt like he actually had a sense of my various cycles and created a plan based on that history (whereas with Dr Cedars, she seemed to just come up with stuff on the fly). I was pretty happy with him as a doctor. My main complaint was the way his care team is organized at the UCSF practice. Again, no one person took the lead on managing my case and that led to a critical error in the end--an error which should never happen to anyone.
You as the patient still really need to take responsibility for managing your case. The UCSF team is there to support you but they are not likely to be as dilligent as you would be. So you need to stay on top of your own course of treatment, schedule, timing of tests, prescriptions, etc etc. It's a pain but will likely lead to be a better outcome and fewer mistakes. Trust your gut!
2005 - 2010
They [UCSF Fertility] didn't diagnose my uterine septum for 2 years-- they just never looked there as they identified my issues as ovarian. Huge mistake that cost me two years of pain, emotional anguish, and lots and lots of money. [UCSF is] fine if you don't have any complications or a super hard case. challenge is you don't know if you are one until you try, so I don't recommend this clinic.
2005 - 2010
Investor
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Fine if you don't have any complications or a super hard case. challenge is you don't know if you are one until you try, so I don't recommend this clinic.
His bedside manner was good-- very comforting and kind. That was not my problem with him.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
After nearly 2 years of grueling treatment with him, without success, he told me due to advanced ovarian aging (I was 29!) I wasn't ever going to be able to carry a pregnancy with my own eggs and should consider adoption or egg donor. Luckily I went and got a second opinion (at CCRM) and thankfully they insisted to retest everything as they discovered Dr Fujimoto had completely undiagnosed a uterine septum that was causing the losses I had the few times I was able to get pregnant through the treatments. He had diagnosed me with crappy eggs and never bothered to check the uterus! CCRM fixed the septum and despite my crappy eggs, I was able to get pregnant and keep the pregnancies, and now I have 2 kids.
If you want great bedside manner, he is lovely. If you want/need anal, thorough, painfully detail oriented, I wouldn't recommend him.
I did 3 injectable IUIs, 2 IVFs. 1 IVF resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Turns out I found out through another clinic after I left UCSF I had a uterine septum that meant all those treatments (time/money/pain) were for nothing and never would have worked until the septum was fixed (which the other clinic did in a simple outpatient surgery).
2006 - 2010
She [Dr. Huddleston] is smart, sensitive, and knowledgable -- when we asked a question about genetic testing of embryos pre-transfer, she explained in clear, not-dumbed down language why this was not a great choice for us.
2006 - 2010
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Busy and successful clinic.
I transferred my fertility care to Dr. Huddleston after a bad experience with another San Francisco doctor (she was incredibly un-caring when I had a miscarriage). Dr. Huddleston talked to my partner and I like intelligent humans; she was sympathetic to our loss, clear about our needs, and sensitive to our questions about how to minimize the risk of future miscarriages. When I did miscarry under her care, she was very, very sympathetic - polar opposite of the treatment I received at CPMC.
Sorry, can't remember much other than they were nice.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She is smart, sensitive, and knowledgable -- when we asked a question about genetic testing of embryos pre-transfer, she explained in clear, not-dumbed down language why this was not a great choice for us.
If you don't get pregnant it's not your fault!
1 cycle of Femara (miscarriage of identical twins) with IUI, two cycles of Clomid (negative pregnancy test) with IUI, a few other cycles of unmedicated IUIs. Had an HSG and a saline sonogram along the way. (We were using donor sperm so the IUI was a given.) After 18 cycles, 2 years, and two miscarriages, we went to IVF without ICSI. Got pregnant with twins after transferring 2 embryos in my first and only IVF procedure; one stopped developing at 11 weeks. Carried the other to term. I was 36 at the time. I also did a lot of acupuncture but this was not Huddleston-directed.
I had amazing insurance.
2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
UCSF CRH is new and very clean. The parking is a nightmare, but that is to be expected in SF. Weakness is the silo of information. Billing and scheduling are not in sync. Good luck reaching anyone via phone. After your initial consultation, you are given emails to the key groups. Email early and often because you may not get a response.... Getting the estimate of costs was very challenging. I wanted to have this addressed before my first monitoring appt and it arrived at around 6p the night before.
2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with UCSF.
He took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Norma)
Norma and Kat have been great at relaying information.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
He spent enough time with me to get a sense of my goals with respect to being able to freeze embryos and eggs, if possible. I knew my age was my biggest obstacle and he set a realistic expectation. I knew not to expect huge numbers of follicles at age 39, so I appreciated his directness/candor to hope for 10 at best.
Come with a list of questions because he is busy and it will take a couple of days to get an email response.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Everyone comes in from 7-9a and it seems as though those hours are the hardest to get specific information.
$14k without meds
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
The clinic is newly constructed and feels like a spa. The lab and embryology suite are state of the art which is in part why we chose UCSF. I appreciated how easy it was to get an appointment and how early the appointments start (6:30am) so I could be seen before work...The nurses have been very attentive and responsive to emails and phone calls. The nurses in the surgical suite were incredibly kind and encouraging
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr Cedars is very compassionate and I felt like we were collaborating on my treatment plan
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: KTherine Austin)
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She is very patient and present which was a nice change from the other doctors I’ve seen for infertility. She was willing to try new protocols and changed things in cycle as new things came up. I also felt she was very talented with procedures and I had the least amount of discomfort when she performed egg retrieval
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and keep in touch in-cycle. You can email your nurse who will contact your doctor with any concerns.
I have DOR and was doing mini IVF cycles and banking embryos for transfer. She had me start with oral Clomid and then add minimal stims.
We paid out of pocket at UCSF. Mini IVf cycles cost around 5-6k
San Francisco
You'll get great care [at UCSF], but you often see and hear from different people every time. However, they are very timely in their appointments and everyone you meet there is positive and kind. I did sometimes feel rushed and like things were not fully explained, but when I pushed for clarity it was always offered gladly...Brittney helped me with all of my concerns from the logistical to the emotional to the explanatory. She was compassionate, well organized, and timely in her responses.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
You'll get great care, but you often see and hear from different people every time. However, they are very timely in their appointments and everyone you meet there is positive and kind. I did sometimes feel rushed and like things were not fully explained, but when I pushed for clarity it was always offered gladly.
Dr. Huddleston really sat with me and wanted to hear the full context of my story: why I was there, what motivated me, and my concerns. She was frank about the possible risks but told me she felt like this was a good choice for me, and gave me specific reasons why. I felt very comfortable with and heard by her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney Bates)
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
I love how compassionate, clear, and real Dr. Huddleston is. I trust her great track record, especially with some of my close friends. I would have liked more follow-through and explanation of every step and what to expect, though.
Know that you may not have total clarity at every step about what comes next, but trust that Dr. Huddleston has good instincts and experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
I haven't paid yet in full, but it was estimated about 15K.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Rosen was pretty busy but he has a very helpful support team [at UCSF] who really kept an eye on my needs and kept me informed every step of the way...I felt that the clinic was very well organized and efficient and that the pricing was very fair, especially considering the high level of care. The clinic itself is a lovely facility and I felt very well taken care of. [Nurse[]Elizabeth kept us updated at every step of the way and spend a great deal of time explaining things and giving advice.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr. Rosen was pretty busy but he has a very helpful support team who really kept an eye on my needs and kept me informed every step of the way
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen is very honest and straightforward, explained the numbers without sugar coating. He spent a while working with my husband about a decreased sperm count and he was very up on the literature about all aspects of our care
I think Dr. Rosen is a very good doctor and I would highly recommend him.
We used frozen donor eggs, and we did a single 5 day embryo transfer. I used vivelle patch and IM Progesterone in oil injections every other day, which was painful, but I think it helped keep the levels more even.
$23,000 for frozen embryo cycle and meds
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
...again you would usually get a different doctor or a NP [at UCSF]. i was lucky enough this last cycle to get the same NP for almost every ultrasound...its a big unit hence not seeing your assigned DR or in fact the same Dr at any time...the retrieval with ICSI and assisted hatching was just over $12,000 that does not include the drugs...
Describe your experience with UCSF.
there were a few times I expected a call (after failed transfer) and nothing came and we had to reach out - once we were told she was busy and also had jury duty and the next time she could talk to us on the phone was about 8-14 days away (as relayed by secretary)
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I think she is great at what she does and perhaps my reflection is in general as how UCSF runs their fertility clinic. I feel as a woman going through this you want a bit more contact with your assigned doctor
I feel this advice is based on whatever Dr they go see. Do your research ahead of time to come as prepared as possible and ask about all options eg using growth hormone, uterine scratching etc and don't be afraid to reach out - they don't reach out to you you have to be an advocate and in charge of this process 100%
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
again you would usually get a different doctor or a NP. i was lucky enough this last cycle to get the same NP for almost every ultrasound
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
San Francisco
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
When the first cycle failed, as we knew it could, she [Dr Cedars at UCSF Fertility] made adjustments to our protocol, clearly explaining with research and statistics why these changes could potentially help. Before our second cycle I questioned whether or not it was worth trying again due to my poor egg quality. She was very honest in her assessment but encouraged us to not give up yet. I am happy we trusted her.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I appreciated Dr. Cedars approach to our care at UCSF. She was warm, but realistic about setting expectations. She was very familiar with the latest techniques and research, but did not recommend extra treatments when she felt the cost outweighed the potential benefit. Ultimately she told us to plan for two IVF cycles. When the first cycle failed, as we knew it could, she made adjustments to our protocol, clearly explaining with research and statistics why these changes could potentially help. Before our second cycle I questioned whether or not it was worth trying again due to my poor egg quality. She was very honest in her assessment but encouraged us to not give up yet. I am happy we trusted her. We are now less than two months away from welcoming our first child, with three very good quality embryos frozen to potentially try for a sibling later. Given our diagnosis - very few eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve, endometriosis, and severe male factor infertility - this outcome is better than we ever really expected.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
UCSF sees a LOT of patients and his [Dr. Fujimoto's] team can be forgetful at times. I advise you to stay on top of him and his team. While they do great work... they might forget some small details you discussed last time.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Fujimoto and the team were great. They really did wish us the best. Some of the team was awesome, always remembered us and honestly cared about our outcome. As mentioned before, you still need to stay on top of your protocol as some of the assistance have a lot of doctors they are supporting, so they might forget a few things. But for the most part, the staff was awesome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: I had 3 , Olga, Jennifer and Anna)
Stephanie who I always saw and think it was one of his main nurses was amazing. She went through all the ups and downs with us. So wonderful.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
I selected Dr Fujimoto because he dealt with infertility issues of his own. He was very matter of fact about what our options were and the results we would likely see. While in his care, and suffering many loses and obstacles, he remained a great partner in this journey. I have recommend him to others as well.
UCSF sees a LOT of patients and his team can be forgetful at times. I advice you to stay on top of him and his team. While they do great work, they do have a lot of patients, so they might forget some small details you discussed last time.
2013 - 2014
Strengths — top notch clinic [UCSF] in san francisco, doctors with proven track records of success, well funded and organized. Weaknesses... overall it felt like we were one of thousand being treated at any given time and we HATED having to attend the crowded introduction seminar at the beginning. That felt really weird and impersonal to us.... Pretty sure we spent 30K when all was said and done. There were all the initial tests for both of us, then genetic counseling, IVF with ICSI plus TESE sperm retreval from an on-site urologist.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths — top notch clinic in san francisco, doctors with proven track records of success, well funded and organized. Weaknesses... overall it felt like we were one of thousand being treated at any given time and we HATED having to attend the crowded introduction seminar at the beginning. That felt really weird and impersonal to us.
I really delt that Dr. Tram was looking out for us but overall the whole experience still felt like we were part of a very structured, orderly system. Which I realize may be necessary and ultimately we were happy with our care.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Dr. Tran was very professional and honest and helpful. He also checked in on us while he was on vacation (during our hormone injection cycle) which was not necessary but I truly appreciated at the time to know our unique case was being looked after. Forever grateful to this man for our beautiful, healthy child.
I don’t really recall
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at UCSF.
We were surprised when they recommended two the morning of transfer but by then we only had three embryos so we agreed with the rationale. Happily ended up with a singleton birth.
2013
I truly felt like I had a solid care team behind me...Susan Craigg was just very attentive and sensitive to my needs.
2013
The entire care team at UCSF was great. In addition to the care from Dr. Huddleston, patients are assigned a nurse who are there for you at all times. Any question I had, I simply called my nurse -- any question she wasn't able to answer, she would consult with Dr. Huddleston. I truly felt like I had a solid care team behind me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Craigg)
Susan Craigg was just very attentive and sensitive to my needs. She understood the stress that comes with fertility treatment so she was very patient with anyswering my questions and providing insight to any concerns I had.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston was a great. She has a direct and no-nonsense personality, but her confidence in my treatment made me feel positive about the possible outcomes. When dealing with infertility, how you feel about your treatment and the confidence in the treatment is important. Infertility is daunting and can leave you questioning everything -- a positive attitude is important and finding a doctor that can help foster that is critical. Thanks to Dr. Huddleston I was able to get pregnant!
In my experience, she wasn't the type of doctor who would give out the "warm and fuzzy" vibe. Don't let that deter you from her seeking her as a doctor.
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Jill [at UCSF - San Francisco] was very responsive via email and phone. When I had a strong positive beta that went south, I could hear the distress and compassion from her when she had to tell me. I know she felt bad because the original call was a "congrats, US in 6 weeks!" Then she had to tell me about the numbers not doubling and give me a shred of hope but still communicating the reality that the pregnancy was not likely to continue...
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: JIll)
Jill was very responsive via email and phone. When I had a strong positive beta that went south, I could hear the distress and compassion from her when she had to tell me. I know she felt bad because the original call was a "congrats, US in 6 weeks!" Then she had to tell me about the numbers not doubling and give me a shred of hope but still communicating the reality that the pregnancy was not likely to continue.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Cedars is brilliant, compassionate, and someone who is the absolute best at practicing evidence-based medicine. Although my own egg cycles did not result in children, they were quite impressive in how many perfect 3-day embryos we managed to get out of the number of follicles I had. And though our donor cycles did result in 2 amazing boys, the retrieval and fertilization numbers were not as good as we had expected. Dr. Cedars acknowledged this and took responsibility for perhaps overstimming the donor. But in the end, it mattered not to us because we are glad we didn't have leftover embryos. Dr. Cedars seems to care about everything from the science and statistics to the emotional experience of those of us ttc.
Don't be afraid to ask her lots of questions and let her know how you feel.
3 IUI, IVF
Great communication throughout [from the nurses at UCSF]...IUI cycles were about $700 per cycle. IVF about $16k + $4k genetic testing + $1k medication (discounted for out of pocket)...knowledgeable team, availability was excellent for appointments, compassionate, clear they knew what they were doing...Weakness: Billing department, seeing multiple people throughout...
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: high performing and knowledgeable team, availability was excellent for appointments, compassionate, clear they knew what they were doing and have a high % of previous successful patients Weakness: Billing department, seeing multiple people throughout
Great communication throughout
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Overall a great experience. The care teams were top notch. It would have been nice to see Dr. Fujimoto for all my procedures, but he did most of the important ones (egg retrieval, transfer) and all the other doctors, nurses, and NPs that worked with me were great. My only complaint of the practice is the billing team. I had to send them multiple emails and call them multiple times before receiving responses to my questions. This happened each time I needed to reach out, so I don't think it was an anomaly.
San Francisco
I love Teona [nurse at UCSF]! Super responsive, personable, fun to talk to. I depended on her especially since I was out of town...I like the new location. Front desk staff super attentive and sweet. Nurses too. All-around excellent...I only did one FET with PGS-tested embryos with Dr. Cedars. I was planning to do a single embryo but it thawed poorly, so we thawed a second one and put both. I got pregnant (I'm at 6 weeks now).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
She's very friendly and kind. I was only treated by her briefly- one transfer- so I didn't get to know her well. But she was caring and among the most experienced doctors on staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona Gurkin)
I love Teona! Super responsive, personable, fun to talk to. I depended on her especially since I was out of town.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I dealt with her briefly because I was living in Chicago and flew back to SF for the transfer. I mostly dealt with her nurse. But my few interactions with her were positive. My case wasn't complicated.
Make friends with her nurse! She's awesome.
I had two embryos remaining in the freezer, both PGS tested. One looked good (50% chance) and one not so good (15%). The 50% chance one thawed poorly on the day of the transfer, so we ended up putting both. The poor quality embryo appears to have stuck.
3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
I didn't always have direct access to her [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] and had communicated with her through a nurse [at UCSF]. Once I was able to connect with her via email directly, my experience vastly improved. She promptly responded to my questions and concerns....I felt treated like a human.... I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case..... I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome.
3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
I felt treated like a human. Dr. Mok-Lin is empathetic and seems to really understand what I was hoping to get out of my IVF freeze all cycles and why. I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin is genuine and personable. I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome. I felt as if she gave me some good advice, based on her knowledge and understanding of my specific situation. She felt like a friend, not just a doctor, in those times. I didn't always have direct access to her and had communicated with her through a nurse. Once I was able to connect with her via email directly, my experience vastly improved. She promptly responded to my questions and concerns.
Don't be afraid to open up to Dr. Mok-Lin about your unique/specific situation to help her recommend, prescribe and schedule the most appropriate IVF protocol for you.
Evelyn Mok-Lin
We were very comfortable at UCSF. The entire staff from check-in, nursing, Dr's, etc. were friendly and easy to work with. I am not sure there were any weaknesses for us. We had a very positive experience (even with billing / financial questions)...Dr. Rosen made us feel comfortable and confident in our decision to go to UCSF. I felt like we had enough access to him to ask questions and enough time with him to get answers that we could understand...Dr. Rosen was great. He took time to explain what was happening and to listen to and answer all questions. He was professional, down to earth, and we felt confident that we were in good hands.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Trust that the process will unfold and that you are in capable hands of a Dr. that cares about the outcome and the patient's well being.
2011 - 2015
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Anna [my nurse] was very compassionate and a wonderful communicator. If she wasn't as wonderful, I don't think I would have made it for as long as I did.
2011 - 2015
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. F has a decent manner, but has confused me with one of my egg donors and even changed a medication due to the confusion. He continued to confuse me with her for a better part of a year even when being corrected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
Anna was very compassionate and a wonderful communicator. If she wasn't as wonderful, I don't think I would have made it for as long as I did.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
I feel he did ok. He was almost too passive in his communication. My biggest issue is that he knew I had Endo but waited until the 4th year of treatment to introduce a $10 pill regime that has been proven to be a near magical pill. It was the only reason I got pregnant at all. It should have been part of a much earlier course of treatment.
Clarify at the beginning and end of an appointment or email. He has a lot of patients, don't expect them to remember you.
4 IUI, IVF
4 IUI, IVF
Dr Cedars took the time to talk to us and explain everything to us. She seemed to care about us as individuals and really thought about personalizing the treatment, as opposed to just doing the regular protocol that is done for most women at the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Very organized and responded to emails very quickly which was critical to me. Especially when waiting for pregnancy test results!!!
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She's a great doctor with lots of experience as she is the head of the practice. She travels a lot to conferences which means she's not always as available - but that also makes her more savvy about new treatments and technologies.
Schedule a face to face visit with dr Cedars to make sure you understand her treatment plan. If you like to see the same doctor throughout the treatment, you may have to be patient and wait until she is in town for long enough.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
We had a number of appointments, and we felt they were attentive. Although, we've only seen Dr. Rosen once, the doctor's on duty for our appointment were great. The nurses and front desk people were all wonderful. Special shout out to our nurse who acted as a spirit guide, calling us with results, telling us next steps, etc.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
Just attentive, understanding, funny, a good team.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
We only saw him once, we were working with the duty doctors, but he was nice, confident, and calm.
You may not see him very often, depending on if he's on duty when you go in for ultrasounds and what not, but everyone at the clinic is awesome.
Birth control to make sure we knew which day to start the cycle, nightly injections for 2 weeks, a few medications, egg retrieval, ICSI, and then putting the embryo back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
Roughly 11K for the procedure and 2k for the medication.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Everyone certainly seemed to care about the outcome. Response time on questions was fast and I always felt like the team was taking my situation into account... She [my nurse] always responded to our questions quickly. She was always available by phone.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Everyone certainly seemed to care about the outcome. Response time on questions was fast and I always felt like the team was taking my situation into account. She ran tests early that seemed appropriate for our situation and really informed the process, but avoided other tests that didn't seem necessary for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Kregg)
She always responded to our questions quickly. She was always available by phone. She was very patient.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr Huddleston is wonderful. We had a fantastic experience with her. She explains everything in detail (even drawing us pictures of basic anatomy!). Her style is not overly aggressive but seems rational. Her bedside manner is excellent - warm and caring while still being professional. I have nothing but good things to say about her.
12 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
UCSF and Mitch Rosen were warmly welcoming, knew us and our case well....Most doctor's fees were covered by insurance. The one shock was the hormone injection system (pen) the clinic used was twice as expensive with insurance as expensive as mixable one without insurance.
12 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
UCSF and Mitch Rosen were warmly welcoming, knew us and our case well. He thought thru everything I had tried and the data he saw, made recommendations for treatment that made sense to us, and helped us along our path to parenthood, even though we did not get pregnant under his care.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Mitch is an excellent doctor, caring and clinical...honest and ethical about the situation. He did not try to sell us procedures that were unlikely to be effective.
Be honest with yourself, and give everything you can to succeed.
I don't recall the detail of the protocols. We had high egg counts on stimulated cycles, and concerns about multiples, but no actual pregnancies resulted. Mitch recommended that he look inside my uterus. He found a "false wall" of tissue that could have been a cause, because if the embryo tried to attach, it wouldn't get enough blood. That was a good hunch, and was important for going further to IVF and Ovum Donation IVF.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
I felt as if Dr. Sohn, his staff and the other doctors I saw at UCSF were wonderful... [Nurse] Judi was fabulous! She always made sure I understood what they were doing and what I needed to do and I was always able to reach her when I needed to speak with her on the phone.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sae Sohn at UCSF?
I felt as if Dr. Sohn, his staff and the other doctors I saw at UCSF were wonderful. I really felt as if they had my best interests (getting pregnant) at heart. His nurse, Judi Friedman, was fantastic as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Judith Friedman)
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at UCSF?
I felt Dr. Sohn was honest with me as a patient and he allowed my husband and I to make the decisions but did suggest when it was clear after a second failed IVF attempt that we should consider other options at that point. I was 43 at the time and my labs showed declining fertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sae Sohn at UCSF?
Be patient.
Describe the protocols Sae Sohn used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I don't remember the protocol or the drugs use.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sae Sohn at UCSF.
I believe the IVF/egg donor was around $25K not including medications.
Sae Sohn
3 IUI, IVF
I had mixed experience at UCSF but overall it was positive and the nurses and staff were caring. There were times when I would deal with someone that was less sensitive or knowledgeable about me and my treatment and this was primarily during IUI (which was a waste of time and money). During the IVF process it was a much better experience even though the first two times resulted in a negative pregnancy test but we ended up with a healthy child so overall experience was positive.
They were compassionate
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo was knowledgeable, kind, realistic and pragmatic. However, he was never the physician that treated me during the actual IUI or IVF process. I went through IUI 3 times and IVF 3 times.
I thought he was fine - not great but fine thus hard to give feedback
Endometriosis, Male Factor
[UCSF has] New facilities, quick appointments (rarely much wait), all the staff is super helpful and friendly. The finance department seemed a little out of synch with my case, which had some financial consequences on my insurance coverage.... The nurses were absolutely fantastic. Always on top of everything and super easy to reach and talk to. I always felt super comfortable speaking to them regarding my treatment.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Audra and Carolyn)
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr. Cakmak is caring, would definitely listen to all your concerns, upfront about the risks and expectations. He would always follow up, even on weekends, if there is an issue outstanding. I felt very well cared for and absolutely trusted his advice and recommendations.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Donor Egg Cycle - $22K Mini IVF cycle - $7000...[UCSF is] Big, can feel impersonal at times, but excellent care and caring doctors...Dr. Cedars is busy, but when you have her attention she gives it to you fully. She spends time and will call at the end of a busy day to explain things further...(+) Knowledgeable, Kind, Thorough, Straight-shooter yet also lighthearted/upbeat, Tireless, Seems like she genuinely enjoys what she does (-) Not readily available, especially during cycles using my own eggs. Seems separated from the treatment.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Big, can feel impersonal at times, but excellent care and caring doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
On the ball, a direct line to Dr. Cedars. Smart, compassionate, efficient.
Mini IVF DonorEgg
Donor Egg Cycle - $22K Mini IVF cycle - $7000
15 Eggs Frozen
I really enjoyed meeting Dr Rinaudo. He was very clear about treatment options and about expectation. Treatment details were clearly explained. I felt I received the appropriate information to make an educated choice...Dr Rinaudo was very kind and provided valuable information, including a small book he wrote about fertility...he used a standard protocol with ganyrelix...the clinic [UCSF] is very busy but I felt that the care received was excellent.
15 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with UCSF.
the clinic is very busy but I felt that the care received was excellent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: 2 nurses, excellent)
the nursing staff was very helpful and responsive
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Do not hesitate to ask questions!
he used a standard protocol with ganyrelix
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
the monitoring visits were efficient and overall on time
10k
we focused on the egg freezing process
San Francisco
UCSF is an incredible place. It is new and very beautiful...the billing department was not efficient...[Nurse] Paula was great and very responsive to questions and problems...Dr Rinaudo was extremely kind and polite. He offered honest care and he was very helpful. The information provided were clear. We knew what to expect at every step. We had a fantastic experience and would definitely recommend him to others.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is an incredible place. It is new and very beautiful
he was great and kind
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Paula was great and very responsive to questions and problems
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
do not hesitate to call his nurse with questions. Dr Rinaudo will call you right back
we started with IVF because of long history of infertility. His treatment resulted in an excellent response
15k
Endometriosis, Unexplained
[UCSF is] Upper-crust, scientifically-up-to-date academic medical center. Unlike the rest of UCSF, runs well. Billing is a mess...Lovely. Well staffed, tons of people, and warm and easy-to-work-with staff...
Describe your experience with UCSF.
He's a warm and easy to work with individual. Clinic runs like a machine, but is personal.
Lovely. Well staffed, tons of people, and warm and easy-to-work-with staff.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
He's warm and engaging. He's also busy, and our case didn't require a ton of supervision, so, although we had the sense that he was monitoring our treatments, he outsourced the basic stuff to other members of the team. We really only saw him once. . .
Be upfront and candid with him.
No idea.
Still unclear.
San Francisco
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Although I did not get the results I was hoping for in his care, he [Dr. Hakan] was realistic about my chances which I appreciated and helpful where he could be. However, his care team [at UCSF] and the other staff did not communicate well with each other and him.
European, Other
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I felt that the doctor gave great care. Although I did not get the results I was hoping for in his care, he was realistic about my chances which I appreciated and helpful where he could be. However, his care team and the other staff did not communicate well with each other and him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janet)
They did not communicate well with the doctor. Also, it was very difficult to get ahold of anyone if I had questions that didn't relate directly to the cycle.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
He is a great doctor, will be realistic yet willing to take what you are hoping to achieve into account and work with you.
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Unexplained
Poor organization. It was really a problem that I was not assigned one particular person on the staff. No one took responsibility for reviewing my records and keeping me on top of testing.
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Unexplained
The care team was very poorly organized. Dr Cedars did not always review my records before appointments, and on multiple occasions, made mistakes, including regarding my prescription dosage, timing of blood tests, etc.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Like I said, she did not review my records before appointments and would mis-remember dates and other information, which seemed to me quite critical for the course of treatment.
See someone else in the practice. She is overloaded and will likely not give your case the attention it needs.