6.7
6.7

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

UCSF is a very busy clinic. It is a teaching hospital and therefore you do not always see the same doctor or nurse and it's rare to have your actual doctor perform your monitoring or retrieval....I was always in and out quickly. But every person there is wonderful. The front desk, the phlebotomists, the nurses - so kind hearted....UCSF is VERY adamant that their goal is a singleton birth. They give you a chart up front that shows age and issue and number they will transfer.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto is just the right combination (for me) of passionate and clinical. He took plenty of time to walk through all the options for us - as number of insurance cycles and age and timing were all of the essence. He had a number of suggestions for working around insurance which I thought was really keen of him to even discuss with us. His clinical approach is clear and concise. Every time I asked a question (why didn't I get my period, is my lining supposed to be that thick? what EXACTLY does it mean that you slowed down my medications) he answered it and did not rush, was not condescending and always followed up to ensure I really understood. He does not have what I would call a "delicate" bedside manner, but a warm pat on the leg and a smile and a let's get you a baby attitude when he leaves the room just always made me feel like he was totally on my team. Like a really great little league coach that you never forget. :)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Don't be discouraged if he talks over you. It might seem rude but it's not. He is just full of information and you can see it bubble over and he just wants to share his knowledge. Just be patient and repeat yourself. I said "hold on" a number of times and he was very receptive to that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
UCSF is a very busy clinic. It is a teaching hospital and therefore you do not always see the same doctor or nurse and it's rare to have your actual doctor perform your monitoring or retrieval. I got incredibly lucky and because of his on call schedule, Dr. Fujimoto ended up doing 3 of my monitoring appointments as well as my retrieval (therefore the question later on in this review re: the topic of how often I saw my doctor and did they perform the procedures should be taken into consideration - I got lucky).They run their clinic like clockwork. This can be a bit off putting if you were looking for a more personalized approach and can perhaps make you feel more like a "number". It worked for me because it is a highly emotional situation, and this approach made that easier for me to handle. It also is very great for work schedules, I was always in and out quickly. But every person there is wonderful. The front desk, the phlebotomists, the nurses - so kind hearted. Even with the busyness, I always felt like they aren't just treating a "fertility patient" - they taking care of ME and they SEE ME. They all truly show empathy and care with every interaction.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
OCP Antagonist Protocol 7/21: Cycle Day 2 - Eskyce (Birth control) 8/06: Cycle Day 17 - last active birth control pill 8/09: Baseline US 8/11: Gonal F 225, Menopur 2 vials (150 units) Continue all meds 8/15: First monitoring appointment. Reduced GF to 150 units 8/16: Start Centrotide before 11am, continue all other meds 8/21: Stopped all meds, HCG 5,000 trigger at 9:30pm 8/23: ER 19 eggs retrieved 14 fertilized 9 to PGS 1 PGS tested embryo waiting for FET October 2018. (My first cycle with a different doctor was less eggs and embryos, 2 fresh transferred that failed, and ultimately resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo frozen. Relatively same results, but who knows why those 2 fresh transfers failed.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Danielle, Anna, Someone else who covered)
Danielle is the first person I spoke to when I expressed wanting a new Doctor (who ended up being Dr. Fujimoto). She spent a good 20 mins on the phone with me to understand who I am and what doctor would be a good fit for me. She works in partnership with Anna, who I never met. The two of them seem very overworked but still organized, and there were some vacations and days off that seemed like someone was always covering for someone else. They always apologize for any slowness or confusion (there rarely was any, I didn't even have to call for help with medication once they sent in the order). Don't get me wrong - this was actually never a problem for me. I worried it would be. But I got all the info I needed when I needed it and they were very kind hearted.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I believe in teaching hospitals and think that is a strength in and of itself. If you are looking for someone to get super creative with how to make things happen for you, I'm not sure this is the right place but both of my protocols have been pretty "textbook" antagonist protocols, so hard for me to judge. It is not a boutique fertility clinic - understand that up front. It isn't a weakness, it just is what it is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I paid $0 because I'm very lucky to have great insurance (at a job I hate, but hey, beggars can't be choosers). Overall: $5k FET ER: $15k Meds - depends on where you get them filled. They offer "self pay" which he said was "better than military rates".
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
UCSF is VERY adamant that their goal is a singleton birth. They give you a chart up front that shows age and issue and number they will transfer. In my case, I have 2 PGS embryos and he was 100% willing to do both. (My last cycle with different doctor also transferred 2 fresh, which was their standard recommendation and also on the recommendation of the lab.)
Victor Fujimoto

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Huddleston is extremely sympathetic and kind. ... But she is quite conservative in her treatment protocols. ... My greatest critique of Dr. Huddleston however, was her insistence that we did not need to test my husbands sperm before Femara cycles with timed intercourse ,because I had had 2 pregnancies (and miscarriages). As it turns out, his sperm motility and count were quite low, but we didn't find this out until much later, wasting a ton of time.
a few tests that were supposed to be ordered were left off of the lab request. And in one case the wrong test was ordered ... Overall the clinic [UCSF] seems to have decent, if conservative, doctors. ... The administration and nursing staff were chaotic. ... I would double check everything you are told, or you may end up wasting a lot of time. I only had medicated cycles with this clinic. When it came time to move on to IVF, I went elsewhere. There are just too many moving parts with IVF to risk administrative errors.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is extremely sympathetic and kind. She is also knowledgeable in the field of recurrent pregnancy loss. But she is quite conservative in her treatment protocols. For example, while other doctors might try metformin, a blood thinner or immune treatment speculatively, Dr. Huddleston strictly follows the research literature. This could be a good or a bad thing depending on your outlook. She was willing to try metformin for my mild case of PCOS, after I delivered her a bunch of my own research. My greatest critique of Dr. Huddleston however, was her insistence that we did not need to test my husbands sperm before Femara cycles with timed intercourse ,because I had had 2 pregnancies (and miscarriages). As it turns out, his sperm motility and count were quite low, but we didn't find this out until much later, wasting a ton of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She is not likely to think very far outside of the box. So do your own research and advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is very nice and has a good bedside manner. However, her nursing and administration team was a nightmare. It was difficult to get in touch with anyone. At one point they ordered the wrong tests for blood work, and left out other tests. If I wasn't constantly double checking their work major things would have been missed.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We did 2 cycles of Femara with timed intercourse. The second cycle we also had ultrasound monitoring, at my request. Dr. Huddleston believed that I could get pregnant on my own and that my 2 miscarriages were likely "bad luck." So, we just tried Femara to get a "stronger ovulation" which would hopefully trigger a more robust hormonal response. Neither cycle resulted in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
The administration and nursing staff were chaotic. They are juggling a lot of patients, and things often seemed to fall through the cracks. I had to follow up with them constantly to clarify instructions. Once they ordered the wrongs tests, and I had to get blood drawn multiple times. If I hadn't been double checking things they never would have caught this on their own
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Overall the clinic seems to have decent, if conservative, doctors. But the administration needs a lot of improvement. I would double check everything you are told, or you may end up wasting a lot of time. I only had medicated cycles with this clinic. When it came time to move on to IVF, I went elsewhere. There are just too many moving parts with IVF to risk administrative errors.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had a large number of tests ordered to try to get to the bottom of my recurrent pregnancy loss. However, a few tests that were supposed to be ordered were left off of the lab request. And in one case the wrong test was ordered (the name sounded similar to the correct test). If I didn't know exactly what tests I was supposed to be getting, I wouldn't have been able to catch all of this and correct it.
San Francisco

[Dr. Segal] was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself...She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications...
UCSF treats you like a number. It's a volume shop that will batch you up, meaning you need to take birth control and go through the gates of generalized infection classes and another class that may not have much to do with your own care...The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
She was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself. Because of her error, she greenlighted my injections without coordinating with the anesthesiologist who ultimately was extremely alarmist about my baseline health and she decided to cancel my cycle instead of working with him towards a solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Make sure that any abnormal health history from your labwork is thoroughly reviewed and discussed prior to proceeding with the cost and effort of IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Her support staff was extremely rude and callous, even making me cry during a procedure confirmation of the legal documents. She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications and poor teamwork with the anesthesiologist which caused my cycle to be canceled after months of working with her and over a week of wasted injections and appointments.
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Gonal F 125 IU + Menopur 75 IU SQ ; Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Eugenia Gonzalez; Anne Garcillano)
The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly. Eugenia is particularly uncaring and bad, she was so unclear about consents that she claimed that 99% of the patients mess it up with no sense of self-awareness that it because of her poor communication. My previous care coordinator had been fired due to incompetence as well.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Thalia Segal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Would only do elective single embryo transfer
Thalia Segal
San Francisco

Dr. Noel has incredible bed side manner and importantly, it is natural. It's a part of who she is to be kind and compassionate. I received personal phone calls from her whenever there was sensitive information and she is always willing for follow up calls and appointments...Dr.Noel recommended to only transfer one due to my fertility. After a miscarriage the first transfer, my partner and I requested to do multiple embryo transfer and while she did not advise due to the higher likelihood of a twin pregnancy and the challenges of that, she allowed us to pursue this.
UCSF is world class. The clinic looks world class, the spacing of rooms- felt comfortable and compassionate, and you never had to wait for your appt...Olga and nursing staff were so PROMPT. They always provided results, next step info, scheduling etc exactly when they said they were going to. I never had to worry about when I would hear back - they were on top of it
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr.Noel was out second fertility doctor we saw. The first one was at another clinic and had zero bed side manner and made us feel terrible. When I called UCSF the first time, I said, can you get me an appointment with your most compassionate doctor, the one with the most bedside manner. The clinic receptionist said, oh thats dr. noel - and she was right. I always felt like I was in kind hands and, that didn't mean she sugar coated the odds or the process - but rather, she soberly gave the information with an air of collaboration and support. the first time we transferred, I miscarried, and she was graceful with my loss. The next time, she transferred two and while she shared the upside and downside of transferring two - suggesting we do not do that due to my younger age and higher likelihood of both embryos taking - she ultimately was a yes to us doing it when we requested it. I did get pregnant with both embryos and lost one at 9 weeks. I now have a healthy, beautiful baby girl!! My gratitude for Dr. Noel is endless
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
Ask front desk for dr.noel is you are looking for a compassionate doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel has incredible bed side manner and importantly, it is natural. It's a part of who she is to be kind and compassionate. I received personal phone calls from her whenever there was sensitive information and she is always willing for follow up calls and appointments. I felt like she was a friend, who had my best interest at heart. She never made herself the knower and me the patient - all the information was shared and then we collaborated next steps.
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We went through a round of IVF and we were able to harvest 25 eggs via the treatment protocol dr.noel followed. We ultimately got 5, five day embryos and I got pregnant on each transfer. I miscarried after the first transfer and then was pregnant and had a full term, healthy pregnancy after the second.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga and nursing staff were so PROMPT. They always provided results, next step info, scheduling etc exactly when they said they were going to. I never had to worry about when I would hear back - they were on top of it.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is world class. The clinic looks world class, the spacing of rooms- felt comfortable and compassionate, and you never had to wait for your appt. You were in when it was your time. It is super clean and you felt that people enjoyed what they were doing
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I was 34 years old and Dr.Noel recommended to only transfer one due to my fertility. After a miscarriage the first transfer, my partner and I requested to do multiple embryo transfer and while she did not advise due to the higher likelihood of a twin pregnancy and the challenges of that, she allowed us to pursue this.

2018 - 2020, Successful
He [Dr. Mitch Rosen] was able to comprehensively assess our case & then fine tune our IVF protocol to produce results that we were not able to achieve until then. We went from feeling like we may very well not be able to conceive at all to having many healthy embryos now “in the bank” and will be attempting implantation for pregnancy soon. Dr. Rosen was very conscientious about answering all of our questions and also incorporated our own preferences and input. We are immensely grateful to Dr. Rosen and so very lucky to have been able to work with him. September 2020 UPDATE: Our fertility journey was very long and challenging, but Dr. Rosen guided us through and now we are pregnant!!! He and his clinical nurse manager Liz Gomes were extraordinary. They have been so smart, caring, patient, professional and supportive. We could not have been in better hands.
Be aware that while in-cycle, on weekends you might work with RE Fellows rather than directly with an Attending [at UCSF]...We also saw two Nurse Practitioners, Katrina and Stephanie, several times throughout the course of treatment. Both Katrina and Stephanie were fantastic. All of the nurses, techs and front desk staff at CRH (especially Maria!) have been really warm and kind. We have felt that they are genuinely rooting for us, which made all the difference while going through such an emotionally and physically taxing journey. We also worked with Annie, assistant to Dr. Rosen, at the beginning stages before starting our cycles. Annie was incredible. She was extremely organized, thorough, remarkable with follow through and had a great sense of humor throughout it all!
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
We ended up going to several different fertility clinics in the Bay Area (we met with six different REs across five centers) as it was difficult to find a good match and our case turned out to be much more challenging than we expected. Without a doubt we can say that Dr. Rosen has been the best for us to work with and is a brilliant physician. While there are many exceptional centers & physicians offering IVF in the Bay Area, it is evident that Dr. Rosen is not only one of the most academically accomplished reproductive endocrinologists nationally but he is also an outstanding clinician. He was able to comprehensively assess our case & then fine tune our IVF protocol to produce results that we were not able to achieve until then. We went from feeling like we may very well not be able to conceive at all to having many healthy embryos now “in the bank” and will be attempting implantation for pregnancy soon. Dr. Rosen was very conscientious about answering all of our questions and also incorporated our own preferences and input. We are immensely grateful to Dr. Rosen and so very lucky to have been able to work with him. September 2020 UPDATE: Our fertility journey was very long and challenging, but Dr. Rosen guided us through and now we are pregnant!!! He and his clinical nurse manager Liz Gomes were extraordinary. They have been so smart, caring, patient, professional and supportive. We could not have been in better hands.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Be aware that while in-cycle, on weekends you might work with RE Fellows rather than directly with an Attending.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes has been our nurse and main clinical point person while working with Dr. Rosen. Liz has been outstanding and is a true gem. It was a gift to work with her. She is caring, extremely knowledgeable, professional, ever patient and super warm. We also saw two Nurse Practitioners, Katrina and Stephanie, several times throughout the course of treatment. Both Katrina and Stephanie were fantastic. All of the nurses, techs and front desk staff at CRH (especially Maria!) have been really warm and kind. We have felt that they are genuinely rooting for us, which made all the difference while going through such an emotionally and physically taxing journey. We also worked with Annie, assistant to Dr. Rosen, at the beginning stages before starting our cycles. Annie was incredible. She was extremely organized, thorough, remarkable with follow through and had a great sense of humor throughout it all!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is unique from all of private fertility centers in that it is a public university and therefore intentions and motivations are very different. We started our fertility treatment at a private fertility center in San Francisco thinking there were numerous advantages over UCSF. After several second opinions, we eventually ended up back at UCSF because of Dr. Mitchell Rosen. We were surprised and thankful to find out that UCSF was superior in many ways to the private (MUCH more expensive - we paid out of pocket for all treatment!) fertility clinics.
All out of pocket
San Francisco

[Dr. Mitch Rosen's] preference is eSET but given I had two failed ones, on my third transfer, doctor was ok putting in two...took the time to go through any questions my husband and I had. I would say though that you need to be prepared with questions and to advocate for yourself. He will not "handhold" you through the process so I can see where people may feel like a number. Do some of your own research and with that he will provide you with more information that you probably want/need.
She [nurse at UCSF] is on top of it! Extremely knowledgable, caring and accessible! UCSF is so lucky to have her!...Doctor's and UCSF preference is eSET but given I had two failed ones, on my third transfer, doctor was ok putting in two...Monitoring appointments are a well oiled machine. I was usually in and out within 15 minutes (bloodwork and ultrasound). I could always get in a time convenient for me...A full fresh cycle is around $16k, excluding medications. A frozen cycle is around $4k, excluding medications. My second and third retrievals were covered by insurance.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen is very direct and will tell provide you with pros/cons and options. He first tries to understand what your objectives are to provide better answers for you. If you are looking for someone warm and fuzzy, this may not be the right doctor for you, but if you are looking to achieve an outcome and care a little less about the bedside manner (not that it is bad at all), this is the doctor for you. He would keep us in our place when we tried to ask about a backup plan and would have us focus on Plan A only. Dr. Rosen is the best, if not one of the best at UCSF, and am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be his patient. I couldn't recommend him more and hope when we plan for a second child, he will still be there to guide us again through our journey.
Be prepared with questions and do some of your own research. Advocate for yourself if something is important to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen took the time to go through any questions my husband and I had. I would say though that you need to be prepared with questions and to advocate for yourself. He will not "handhold" you through the process so I can see where people may feel like a number. Do some of your own research and with that he will provide you with more information that you probably want/need.
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did my first egg retrieval cycle with estrace priming and then gonal f/menopur. I was reacting quite well to the medication so my dosage changed quite a bit. Although I yielded a good number of eggs (I think around 26), only 2 made it through PGS testing. Had two single embryo transfers, using medicated cycle (given my periods are irregular). Both failed. Did an hysteroscopy and everything was fine. Did an ERA test and also came back normal. This was followed by a second egg retrieval cycle, primed with birth control so that the eggs would grow closer in size compared to the first cycle. Gonal f lower does and menopur. Went for 14 days vs 10 in first cycle. Worked well. Had 33 eggs of which 8 embryos were PGS normal. We did a third cycle insurance was helping to cover the 2nd and 3rd cycle and did the exact same protocol as second egg retrieval but had completely different results. 21 eggs of which only 2 PGS embryos resulted. I honestly think the difference in results was due to lifestyle (much more stressed during this cycle). So have 10 embryos banked. Given two failed FETs, transferred two embryos (one day 5 and one day 6 embryo) and success (at least for now)!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes is the best nurse! She is on top of it! Extremely knowledgable, caring and accessible! UCSF is so lucky to have her!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a teaching hospital so you have to know that you will not see the same people during each visit. That being said, they seem to be well coordinated and any questions I had during a visit that wasn't with my primary team, was always answered well. The facility itself is nice and calm. I was living in NYC and went to another fertility clinic for IUI's and that was not calm at all and felt more like a sausage factory. I've heard some issues with billing at UCSF, but personally I haven't had any issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
I paid out of pocket my first cycle. A full fresh cycle is around $16k, excluding medications. A frozen cycle is around $4k, excluding medications. My second and third retrievals were covered by insurance.
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.

2016 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Martha Noel] She was extremely collaborative with the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. She was very easy to talk to directly and helped to make it so I got to see when I came into the office. I also felt in-the-know and bought-into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical."
[UCSF is] Pretty easy to great appointments. Nice facility. Quite accessible in the city. Weaknesses were some of the nurses...[nurses] they got some information wrong when sharing our status with embryos, and they were not good communicators...When other doctors were recommending the typical program, Dr Noel got creative and suggested different mediations and process changes.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Noel was a joy to work with. She was compassionate, professional, thoughtful and extremely wise. She made it clear that she was in our corner and would do all that she could to help us succeed and help us manage a stressful situation. She was extremely collaborative with the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. She was very easy to talk to directly and helped to make it so I got to see when I came into the office. I also felt in-the-know and bought-into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical." When other doctors were recommending the typical program, Dr Noel got creative and suggested different mediations and process changes. Sure enough, it worked thanks to her great advice and we now have two absolutely beautiful girls!! Lastly, there were times where we had issues with the nursery. Dr Noel took great care with this, too. She took feedback and coached the nurses to make sure we were well taken care of. It was greatly appreciated. I can't recommend Dr Noel highly enough. She was a hero and we greatly appreciate all that she did for us. Frankly, even if it didn't work out, I would still be a fan b/c it was clear just how much she cared and how hard she worked!
Definitely work wth Dr Noel if you can!
Dr Noel was a joy to work with. She was compassionate, professional, thoughtful and extremely wise. She made it clear that she was in our corner and would do all that she could to help us and help us manage stressful situations. She was extremely collaborative w2ith the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. I also felt in-the-know and bought into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical."
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
We had some issue with the nurses -- they got some information wrong when sharing our status with embryos, and they were not good communicators (they acted like I should know how everything works even though I didn't).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr Noel was the best. Strongly recommend working with her. Pretty easy to great appointments. Nice facility. Quite accessible in the city. Weaknesses were some of the nurses. Would use them again if I needed to.
already wrote about it
San Francisco

Dr. Huddleston sticks with evidence based practice. If there isn't a lot of research on it, she doesn't recommend it. If you're interested in some super new, cutting edge approach you'll have to bring it to the table yourself. She generally sticks with the tried and true fertility treatments...checked in with me personally by either scheduling an office chat or a simple phone call...She did encourage us to transfer 2 fresh embryos
[UCSF] is a big clinic. Very difficult to get an appointment and their initial onboarding paperwork and insurance stuff was such a nightmare. I almost gave up before I started. However- once you complete your initial consult, you're like family there...there are tons of appointment times and chances for procedures, tests etc...She [the nurse] was great with emailing back promptly and answering my million questions. My only complaint is the fact that I didn't get to meet her in person until after my egg retrieval when I was prepping for FET
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Every meeting along the way has felt like a friendly conversation. She asks what I'm thinking/feeling about the next step. I share my concerns and questions. She offers a breakdown of the options with the pros and cons of each option. My husband and I side chat for a minute while she waits patiently. She always tells us to think it over and email her our decision about anything. I always feel important to her and I feel like she genuinely cares about us and wants us to succeed. She is a big reason I've decided to keep going on this difficult journey.
Dr. Huddleston sticks with evidence based practice. If there isn't a lot of research on it, she doesn't recommend it. If you're interested in some super new, cutting edge approach you'll have to bring it to the table yourself. She generally sticks with the tried and true fertility treatments. Which honestly is reassuring because I never felt like I was one of her experiments or getting unsold on fancy extras. She's an awesome doctor with amazing bedside manner.
Throughout my IVF journey, Dr. Huddleston has checked in with me personally by either scheduling an office chat or a simple phone call. When I hit an emotional road block and sent a crazy emotional email to the clinic saying I didn't want to do another cycle that month, she called me to ask how I was doing and what was going on that changed my mind. I was so touched- I asked her, "did you really just call to check on me?" She said "pretty much!". She's repeatedly encouraged me to do self-care and acknowledged how difficult this journey is.
We did estrogen patches for 7 days leading up to the egg retrieval month. Started injections on cycle day 1 (gonal F 150units, menopur daily). Office ultrasounds were cycle days 1,5,7. On cycle day 7 I began cetrotide in the morning. I then had ultrasounds days 9, 10, 11. Triggered with HCG on day 11. Egg retrieval was on day 13.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
She was great with emailing back promptly and answering my million questions. My only complaint is the fact that I didn't get to meet her in person until after my egg retrieval when I was prepping for FET. Lab techs are all very nice and professional. Front desk folks are warm and kind. Everyone is really great at CRH.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It is a big clinic. Very difficult to get an appointment and their initial onboarding paperwork and insurance stuff was such a nightmare. I almost gave up before I started. However- once you complete your initial consult, you're like family there. Its nice that its a big clinic because there are tons of appointment times and chances for procedures, tests etc. The facility is clean, peaceful, and modern. There is a nice restaurant/ bar within the building which makes for a great pit stop when you're not pregnant! Ha :)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
$12,800 for egg retrieval + ICSI $1,800 for embryo biopsy $2,000 PGS testing (ending up being free because of a study) $350 for injection meds $3,400 for frozen embryo transfer
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We were very firm about doing single embryo transfer. (We only had 2 frozen pgs normal embryos total). She was totally fine with this and never pushed us. On our second IVF cycle, we decided we would do a fresh transfer. She did encourage us to transfer 2 fresh embryos. I told her I was still very against transferring 2. She was fine with my decision but did tell me it would take longer for me to get pregnant.
San Francisco

Dr Noel was very warm during our initial consultation. She also called me personally when we needed to cancel my first IUI cycle because I "over responded" to the Letrazole...I don't think she was aggressive enough in my first set of treatments given my age and how many children I wanted. When I got a second option, the new Dr (who I prefer) told me she never would have started with fertility meds only without including IUI. I also had to cancel a cycle which I disagreed with (and the new Dr did also)
Communication was slow and difficult [at UCSF]. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely...is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Martha Noel is lovely and great at explaining things but for me she was too conservative/risk averse.
Letrazole 2.5mg for 3 months, then increase Letrazole + IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Communication was slow and difficult. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF CRH is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
1st Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $1800! (through Progyny and I hadn't met my deductible so I paid the crazy insurance rate) 2nd and 3rd Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $450 each b/c I paid out of pocket - basically paid for one ultrasound appointment
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
1) I had a progesterone blood test to confirm ovulation and came back as 0 (did not ovulate) when I know I had. I demanded they run it again and it came back 26 (did ovulate) 2) I've had to call/email to get results of tests and/or inquire about my next protocol 3) I've had to call/email multiple times to get Rx's phoned in
San Francisco

Dr. Anaya always followed up with us on all things IVF but also on procedures or events that were unrelated. She has been caring and honest...She has adjusted treatments to make us more successful (I.e. adjusted hormone dosage during 2nd egg retrieval, had me do an endometrial biopsy to see if endometriosis was present to treat during COVID-19 pause). She could have been more thorough with getting to the endometriosis diagnosis in the front end and not after a failed embryo transfer.
I got an endometrial biopsy [at UCSF] (which was incredibly painful) to determine if treatment for endometriosis was an option. A protein associated with endo was present so now I’m taking 2 monthly Lupron shots to slow down the endo and hopefully have a successful transfer in a few months...The staff really is top notch. Everyone from the receptionists, to the nurses to the MDs are great. I always feel very cared for when there. Your primary Dr will most likely not be the one doing the follicle ultrasounds or retrievals/transfers but we were always in excellent hands. We have seen our primary Dr in person once. Our approach as patients has been of trust so we’ve had a very decent experience.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Dr. Anaya has been very caring and open with us. She has adjusted treatments to make us more successful (I.e. adjusted hormone dosage during 2nd egg retrieval, had me do an endometrial biopsy to see if endometriosis was present to treat during COVID-19 pause). She could have been more thorough with getting to the endometriosis diagnosis in the front end and not after a failed embryo transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Be very thorough with your symptoms and do your research before the meeting/call with her as she’s great about debunking info and creating a treatment plan that everyone is comfortable with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Yanett Anaya used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
For the 2 egg retrievals, we yielded 43 eggs that became 4 embryos. The first transfer was 21 to 1 embryo which is why we opted for a 2nd round in which she modified one of the hormone doses (increased, forgot which one) and we had 22 to 3 embryos. We’ve only had 1 transfer which was unsuccessful and we don’t really know why so, during this pause, I got an endometrial biopsy (which was incredibly painful) to determine if treatment for endometriosis was an option. A protein associated with endo was present so now I’m taking 2 monthly Lupron shots to slow down the endo and hopefully have a successful transfer in a few months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: There have been a few: Kat and Cheryl are the ones I remember )
Cheryl is not the most organized (made us bring paperwork in unnecessarily once) but responds very promptly and was very compassionate when she had to call and let me know the embryo transfer had failed.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Yanett Anaya at UCSF.
My insurance through work has covered most of my treatments. I have paid for some medicines, the genetic testing for my husband and I and the endometrial biopsy out of pocket (under 5k).
Describe Yanett Anaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
From what I’ve gathered, at UCSF they prefer to do single embryo transfers since the likelihood of a live birth (our goal) is higher.
Yanett Anaya
2015 - 2020, Successful
Due to the anatomy of my uterus and my age, Dr. Mok-Lin will only do a single embryo transfer...There is no option for me to risk having multiples...is a great listener. She has never made me feel she’s in a rush trying to get to the next patient. Additionally, she takes her time to explain the process and her suggestions. My husband is super analytical and always has many more questions for her and she always happily answers every single one. I love my relationship with her.
Maria [nurse at UCSF] is amazing!! I email her with questions all the time. She is very compassionate and friendly and she will spend all the time needed on the phone explaining the next steps and she will also email all the details...Very nice clinic and friendly staff with easy parking. The check in process is easy and they have several people to do it so you hardly ever wait in line. However, certain women at the check in counter take so long reviewing all the details to make sure they have your insurance, your correct address etc etc. I get it if it is the first time there, but for me, especially during treatment you go in multiple times a week and if I get this person to check me in, she’ll go through it all over again even when I say I was there a day ago, it is annoying.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I have been seeing Dr. Mok-Lin for several reasons since 2015. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have had my boy, period. He is a toddler now and I will be forever grateful to her and her team. Dr. Mok-Lin performed surgery on me to remove a septate uterus. It was a long and complicated process but she finally fixed it all and I became pregnant naturally. Now, due to unexplained infertility I completed 4 IUI’s and I got pregnant twice with a miscarriage and a cervical ectopic pregnancy. With this last one, which I found out during a routine ultrasound, I had to go through the embryo removal procedure that same moment. I was alone and terrified and my husband on a work trip. When Dr. Mok-Lin showed up in the room I was relieved and knew she would take care of me and everything would be fine. And it was! Now, I am in the process of IVF with FET. Dr. Mok-Lin has said she plans to do the transfer and I’m very excited for that. Because of the time she’s spent with me explaining the process I know what to expect but when I have questions, I send her an email and she responds clearly. Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin is smart and knowledgeable, she listens and tries to please but only if she knows it is the best option for her patient. I have 100% confidence in her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
That they may not always see her during appointments but she will be behind every decision concerning the patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin is a great listener. She has never made me feel she’s in a rush trying to get to the next patient. Additionally, she takes her time to explain the process and her suggestions. My husband is super analytical and always has many more questions for her and she always happily answers every single one. I love my relationship with her.
Describe the protocols Evelyn Mok-Lin used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
On the first round of IUI I took 100mg of clomid. I produced too many eggs so the procedure had to be cancelled. The other 4 rounds, 50mg of clomid and got pregnant twice but miscarried and had an cervical ectopic pregnancy. For egg retrieval, I only did it once using Cetrotide, Gonal F and Lupron. I can’t remember dosage :/
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria is amazing!! I email her with questions all the time. She is very compassionate and friendly and she will spend all the time needed on the phone explaining the next steps and she will also email all the details. I absolutely love Maria.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Evelyn Mok-Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Due to the anatomy of my uterus and my age, Dr. Mok-Lin will only do a single embryo transfer and I am okay with that. There is no option for me to risk having multiples.
Evelyn Mok-Lin
San Francisco
Dr. Noel has a warm manner during consultations, offers good explanations and recommendations, while treating me like an intelligent partner. I'm not yet sure if she is adapting her treatment recommendations appropriately for me to get results, as I am still in the midst of treatment. Her coordinating staff and nurses, however, were always very rushed, and created additional stress in the process as they often seemed more focused on checking everything off their list than supporting me or providing information to me through the process.
I chose UCSF in large part because their donor egg program offered options that met my criteria - including some open donors (open to varying degrees to future contact with a child), and they seemed to follow relatively strong ethical practices in terms of the donor recruitment and screening. I was also attracted to their relatively strong outcomes data, and their research-based orientation. Their key weakness for me has been the support staff.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel seemed to pay close attention to my case, read my history thoroughly before my first visit, reviewed donor history in depth, and took the time to answer my many questions. She seemed to be well-informed about the latest research and thoughtful about how it applied to me. However, we have encountered some unexpected challenges in my case and it's too early to say whether she will be able to adapt her approach to those to get a successful pregnancy.
Ask to be in touch with her by email directly, as her coordinating staff is fairly unhelpful, and then reach out to her sparingly with key medical questions. She is responsive by email, but very briefly, so use that channel only to get information on a clear, specific question.
Standard embryo transfer protocol: birth control pill for timing, Lupron, estradiol patches, and progesterone in oil shots in preparation for the transfer, with Medrol for a few days just before the transfer and Valium day of transfer. I responded well to the standard protocol, other than strong mood reactions to the birth control pill. UCSF's drug program is significantly discounted from other clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga, the nurse I worked with for two cycles, was extremely rushed every single time I spoke with her, and I grew to dread calls with her as I was always stressed after getting off of them. She shared unnecessary information that created additional stress, like telling me that there was going to be a lot of competition for transfer appointments in a certain timeframe. She also sometimes gave unclear instructions and was defensive about it when I asked for clarification on details (i.e. telling me to use estrogen patches at a certain time of day, and then when I asked a related question, telling me that she never told me that and giving a long explanation for how I couldn't possibly have heard what I heard). This same issue happened on both cycles, and I was careful in taking notes from our calls, so it was extremely frustrating to both have poor information and to then have her argue with me when I asked a non-confrontational question. Unlike a previous experience at another clinic, I never felt actual emotional support from the nursing staff at UCSF. When calling with a negative pregnancy test result, they clearly have been trained to say some of the right things, but it felt like a script. When I didn't want to schedule an embryo transfer for the day before one of my biggest work days of the year, and was feeling pressured by the nurse, she didn't show any understanding of my wanting to take my work commitments into consideration and by the end of the call, I was crying, frustrated, and anxious about the choices I'd made very quickly about scheduling such an important procedure. Thuy, Dr. Noel's coordinator, is a bit scattered and required a lot of follow-up to get my labs straight, as she would request labs she had received again, and fail to notice other missing labs. She also often seemed rushed, but was kind and responsive.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strong preference for eSET but would have considered multiple embryo transfer after multiple unsuccessful cycles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had trouble getting all of my initial diagnostic lab results into my records. I had one phone appointment incorrectly cancelled.

2015 - 2019, Successful
I would always ask Dr. Mok-Lin a million questions. And she would always answer them with a lot of insight and expertise. Every time she would explain to me how things would go or her feelings on something, she was always spot on. There were never any surprises, and I always felt very prepared mentally for what was to come...Her explanation for why they did multiple with my own eggs and only one with the donor made sense. And both times she was right!
I LOVE SHEM [nurse at UCSF]. She walked me through so many disappointing cycles and always always was so sweet and supportive. I couldn't have done that many cycles without her...At first I felt it was hard to see different doctor each time I would come in. It felt a little like moving through an assembly line. But each doctor was so nice and attentive, that I quickly became use to it. Also, I understand why they do that. With as often as you need to go in, it is nearly impossible to see the same doctor each time.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin has been my doctor for years, and I think that in itself says something. She always gave me the detailed facts and her advice when I would ask for her opinion. I am a detailed oriented person, and she would always help me understand the processes as they were happening. I couldn't be happier with her as a doctor and will hopefully return soon to see her again!
A close friend of mine did become a patient of hers and I didn't feel I needed to give her any advise.
Dr. Mok-Lin was always very aware and sensitive to my situation, but also was very honest with me, which I asked for and very much appreciate. She was always very professional, and very responsive to any questions I had. When there was bad news she made sure to call me herself, which I have always appreciated.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
I LOVE SHEM. She walked me through so many disappointing cycles and always always was so sweet and supportive. I couldn't have done that many cycles without her.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
I went through so many cycles and different treatments over the course of 4-5 years, I honestly couldn't start to remember
Evelyn Mok-Lin
San Francisco

[Dr. Huddleston] took the time to answer any questions we have. But I’m pretty sure she will not remember me if I were to speak with her today...never felt like she was rushing us out the door...set a plan for us in place that was easy to follow. I don’t think she made us do anything too extreme or unnecessary as she knew we were paying out of pocket...recommended that we keep trying naturally or can do an IUI...
It’s [UCSF] a huge clinic. Without the coordinator, one can get lost quite easily...expensive if you have to pay out of pocket...answer questions promptly thought email...able to book appointments quickly...[staff] made my husband wait while her “computer loads” so he can pay - while he was holding a specimen cup...had doctors tell me that this is a world class facility/doctors...But I’m still not pregnant yet...
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She answered any questions we had and stated that she has high hopes for us, but still no success yet. I never felt like she was rushing us out the door. She set a plan for us in place that was easy to follow. I don’t think she made us do anything too extreme or unnecessary as she knew we were paying out of pocket. I think she has good bedside manner and overall a good fertility doctor. I will continue to see her.
My advice would be to prepare any questions ahead of time - write them down.
Huddleston took the time to answer any questions we have. But I’m pretty sure she will not remember me if I were to speak with her today.
We first did a consultation. She then recommended my partner to do a sperm analysis and I do multiple labwork and hsg. We then had another consultation with her and she gave us the results. She recommended that we keep trying naturally or can do an IUI. A few months later, we tried our first cycle of IUI but it was negative. Then this covid thing happened and my partner and I decided to hold off for now. Huddleston never pushed any procedures on us and I really appreciate that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn)
I really like Huddleston’s staff. They answer questions promptly thought email. They are able to book appointments quickly. I never had any issues with the coordinating team. However, there was one lady who works front desk that both me and my partner do not like. Every time I get her, she has me standing 5-10 mins to check me in. Other front desk staff had me checked in within 1 minute. Another time, she made my husband wait while her “computer loads” so he can pay - while he was holding a specimen cup. Couldn’t we just pay after the drop off? Yes, it may be a policy issue but her slow pace work style didn’t help the situation.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It’s a huge clinic. Without the coordinator, one can get lost quite easily. It is also very expensive if you have to pay out of pocket as we do. I have had doctors tell me that this is a world class facility/doctors and it’s literally the best place to go for treatment. But I’m still not pregnant yet.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
$290 for each consultation/clinic visit, $29 for semen analysis, $1200+ for HSG, $1566 for the basic IUI package (ultrasound and insemination), bloodwork was covered by my insurance.
San Francisco

Dr. Cedars will strongly encourage an elective single embryo transfer...is very intelligent and is very busy. More times than not you will be seeing others doctors on her time, all of which who are very friendly and have good bedside manner...the medications she prescribed for my egg retrieval were spot on. I was at risk for Hyper Ovarian Stimulation and she wanted to keep my dosage pretty low, we got a FANTASTIC result, of 31 eggs retrieved, 14 of which turned into 5-6 day blastocysts. When it came to my first transfer, we did a transfer without antagonist. The first transfer did not result in pregnancy, and now we are awaiting an appointment to change our protocol.
We did Two Round Success Plan with ARC Financing [at UCSF]. It was around $40k for that...the meds here are significantly discounted...meaning you maybe pay a few hundred for all the meds here versus 5-6k. The PGS testing we had done on our embryos was somewhere around 2-3k...It can sometimes feel like you get lost in the shuffle, as there's not a lot of support like you might receive from smaller clinics. For example, when we were waiting to see what embryos made it to blastocyst, while some clinics would call you on Day 1, 3, 5, 6... we didn't get a call until Day 7 with the results. So its definitely less personal that way.. but I find the knowledge of the doctors far outweighs the support I may receive during the process. This is however something they could majorly improve on.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
While I didn't see Dr. Cedars very often, the medications she prescribed for my egg retrieval were spot on. I was at risk for Hyper Ovarian Stimulation and she wanted to keep my dosage pretty low, we got a FANTASTIC result, of 31 eggs retrieved, 14 of which turned into 5-6 day blastocysts. When it came to my first transfer, we did a transfer without antagonist. The first transfer did not result in pregnancy, and now we are awaiting an appointment to change our protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Ask as many questions as you like, she's very knowledgeable and understanding.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Cedars is very intelligent and is very busy. More times than not you will be seeing others doctors on her time, all of which who are very friendly and have good bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
The treatment strategy for my egg retrieval was very successful. The treatment strategy for my first transfer didn't result in pregnancy, although my lining was really good (14 mm), so will be looking to change the protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Katherine Porras)
The nursing staff at UCSF is very kind and compassionate. I found if I need an immediate response to select their immediate care line, otherwise emailing my care team, they were usually responsive within 24 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
We did Two Round Success Plan with ARC Financing. It was around $40k for that... the meds here are significantly discounted... meaning you maybe pay a few hundred for all the meds here versus 5-6k. The PGS testing we had done on our embryos was somewhere around 2-3k.
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Cedars will strongly encourage an elective single embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Regarding the embryos that made it to blastocyst, I didn't feel as supported as I would have maybe preferred. Calling on Day 7 isn't the greatest when its already an anxiety ridden process. Also when I got my embryo transfer there were zero calls or emails of support wondering how I was doing, which I think a clinic should implement as it is a very hard (and seems like long), and emotional waiting period.
San Francisco

Saw him [Dr. Mitch Rosen] once and all subsequent visits were with nurses and attending physicians...After my first cycle it was clear adjustments needed to be made, but I was told the next cycle would proceed exactly as before. It wasn't until after 2 cycles that a nurse called to get detailed feedback for her rounds with Dr Rosen and my treatment was adjusted for cycle 3...Switched to letrazole because Clomid caused thin uterine lining on cycle 1. Moving ultrasound up to day 9.
$2000 per cycle of IUI billed to my insurance. Breakdown not provided...Be aware that UCSF is a big hospital and doctors do not review results as frequently as they should...Needed to take care into my own hands, or else major mistakes would have been made: cycle 1 - was told no need to use OPKs, ended up using them anyway and found out I was ovulating naturally ahead of schedule, needed to move up insemination date. cycle 2 - unexpected business travel for husband meant we could miss our insemination window. Was told we can make last minute appointment in case timing worked out. Nurse did not realize / failed to tell me additional insurance approval was needed and was not requested for this cycle, ended up missing opportunity to do full IUI.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Saw him once and all subsequent visits were with nurses and attending physicians. My treatment was not adjusted until 2 cycles in.
IUI cycle 1: Clomid 50 mg for days 2-7, ultrasound on day 10, trigger shot on day 11, insemination planned for day 13 but moved up to day 12 because I observed LH surge on OPK test on day 11. IUI cycle 2: same as cycle 1. Cancelled ultrasound & insemination because of timing conflict with husband's work travel, still took Clomid + timed intercourse. IUI cycle 3 (in progress): Adjusted treatment based on result from cycle 1. Switched to letrazole because Clomid caused thin uterine lining on cycle 1. Moving ultrasound up to day 9.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Seems to be experienced and reputable, but I was prepared to be very involved in my own care going into it based on reviews I read - and I was right to do so because staff and nurses made erros. Is probably cheaper than private clinics but don't know for sure.
$2000 per cycle of IUI billed to my insurance. Breakdown not provided
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Communication between billing team and nurse = nonexistant. Nurse was not aware of my insurance pre-approval requirements which resulted in cancelled cycle. Also had trouble sending prescriptions to my insurer's pharmacy and required intervention from my end.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
It's disheartening when you have invested a ton of emotional energy -- not to mention money -- and the doctor and/or staff get things wrong or forget you have already completed steps. I know it's a busy clinic and that Dr. Cedars is a leader in her field, but when you're investing so many resources, you want to feel like people have taken time to look at your chart or to gather the correct information before meeting with you.
Everyone I encounter [at UCSF]is very nice. I work with Ruth, mainly. She can seem very overwhelmed, but she's always been responsive. It's hard to get her live on the phone, so it's a great deal of listening to each other's voicemails or reading messages in the portal....The actual clinic is in a very newly constructed, modern facility. Everything feels new and clean....It's disheartening when you have invested a ton of emotional energy -- not to mention money -- and the doctor and/or staff get things wrong or forget you have already completed steps.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She clearly knows what she's doing and her reputation precedes her. She sees so many patients -- like all fertility doctors -- so I don't expect a touchy feely connection with her, but it does feel like this is a transaction. There was another doctor I was interested in--outside of UCSF-- but I couldn't afford him, unfortunately.
Just know this is a very western, clinical, transactional experience, but you should be in good hands.
Right now, I'm just increasing estrogen intake and taking progesterone to force a period. We haven't moved into the actual IVF protocol yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ruth)
Everyone I encounter is very nice. I work with Ruth, mainly. She can seem very overwhelmed, but she's always been responsive. It's hard to get her live on the phone, so it's a great deal of listening to each other's voicemails or reading messages in the portal.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
A huge strength is that it's near my house. The previous clinic was in Irvine (I'm in the bay area). The actual clinic is in a very newly constructed, modern facility. Everything feels new and clean. I haven't done very much other than meet with Dr. Cedars and the care team, so I cannot speak to the treatment rooms as much. I will say that I would strongly advise against meeting with Dr. Laurie Pasch, the clinic psychologist, and meet with Dr. Holley instead.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
All in, to have donor eggs, using a known sperm donor (we froze his sperm at UCSF) and one transfer (no testing, no ICSI -- all of those costs are extra), it will be a little over $30,000.
San Francisco

I did appreciate his [Dr. Mitchell Rosen's] vast knowledge about infertility and he put a great plan in motion for me and far as my protocol. I was nervous when I found out he wasn’t able to perform my egg retrieval or transfer...be patient if you want to get on his schedule. He rarely has openings...We opted for a mini cycle and I was very pleased with the outcome. I responded well and after taking clomid for 5 days, a couple shots of ganarelix and I think one or 2 shots of gonal I was ready to trigger. It happened very quickly.
The finance dept [at UCSF] never answers the phone tho so expect a lot of emails going back and forth. Most team members are prompt with their email responses and call backs. They do close rather early though so you have to get your calls and emails in early. Sometimes I had to ask questions to my care coordinator more than once. They were short staffed at the time though so I tried to be patient. But when you’re spending so much money on such a personal journey you’re often anxious to get questions answered and the wait can feel like forever.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Overall I had a good experience. Except for what I mentioned previously in that I allowed myself to be put in the “infertility box” and didn’t trust my gut instincts, and I know my body very well. I should have been more sure of myself and only transferred one embryo as I knew my body couldn’t handle a twin pregnancy. However, I did appreciate his vast knowledge about infertility and he put a great plan in motion for me and far as my protocol. I was nervous when I found out he wasn’t able to perform my egg retrieval or transfer. But the staff was top notch and I was very comfortable with everyone who helped me.
He’s one of the best, If not the best doctors at the clinic so be patient if you want to get on his schedule. He rarely has openings.
It’s not that I felt like a number but I felt like a statistic. I’ve always been very fertile but my tunes are tied. In This field the dr’s tend to go on statistics and research and I was talked in to transferring 2 embryos against my gut instinct to transfer just one. I was assured I’d likely only have one stick, if any. But both stuck and I was unable to carry 2 (that’s a long complicated story) and ended up having to terminate both.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
My nurse was extremely smart I just wish she’d taken a little more time to explain things. I always felt rushed.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Overall they run a well oiled machine. The finance dept never answers the phone tho so expect a lot of emails going back and forth. Most team members are prompt with their email responses and call backs. They do close rather early though so you have to get your calls and emails in early. Sometimes I had to ask questions to my care coordinator more than once. They were short staffed at the time though so I tried to be patient. But when you’re spending so much money on such a personal journey you’re often anxious to get questions answered and the wait can feel like forever.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
All in we paid about $8,500. This included meds, anesthesia, appts, ultrasounds, etc.
I shouldn’t comment bc I don’t have fertility issues, my tubes are tied and I’m super fertile.
San Francisco

I felt that Dr.Cedars actively listened to our history and clearly had read over our records prior to the consultation. She explained her reasonings for the desired treatment plan in a way that I was able to understand. ... She had a calmness to her presence which was very important to us. ... Our treatment cycle consisted of Letrozole 5mg starting CD2 x 5 days.*We had previously done 3 IUIs with clomid
The office [UCSF] has separatewaiting areas depending on what procedure you're there fkr (u/s, specimen collection, IUI). The "checkout" process was sort of confusing having to back to the front desk staff anticipating they know what your next schedule will be. When paying for services (we decided to pay cash) they staff was somewhat unprepared to handle that process. They do not have a cash register and are unable to give change.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She had a calmness to her presence which was very important to us. When explaining her treatment plans, she provided credible sources (studies/journals) to further ensure us the information was up to date.
Be prepared to see other providers for most of the visits, who may not fully understand your specific case as well as Dr. Cedars. All questions which that require detailed responses she be directed to her nurses who can give direct messages to Dr. Cedars.
Our treatment cycle consisted of Letrozole 5mg starting CD2 x 5 days.*We had previously done 3 IUIs with clomid 100mg with our 1st clinic.* U/S follicle check on CD 12 showed 2 follicles; 21mm and 13mm. With a lining of 11.4mm. *We did not see Dr.Cedars at this visit* Was told to trigger shot the following night CD 13. And returned to clinic on CD14 for "specimen collection" and IUI. *We did not see Dr.Cedars for this procedure visit*
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill and Ruth)
Ruth was great with communication. She was very sweet each time we spoke, answered my questions quickly and even set up a call with Dr.Cedars when my questions were beyond her knowledge of advice.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Very clean and upscale/modern feels. The office has separatewaiting areas depending on what procedure you're there fkr (u/s, specimen collection, IUI). The "checkout" process was sort of confusing having to back to the front desk staff anticipating they know what your next schedule will be. When paying for services (we decided to pay cash) they staff was somewhat unprepared to handle that process. They do not have a cash register and are unable to give change.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Consult including u/s $250. The medication protocol at discount pharmacy was $30. The follicle scan, sperm wash and IUI - $1566.00
We were not at the IVF stage yet. But when i did ask her approach to single vs multiple embryo transfer she advised that in for personal case that a single would be plenty as multiple can increase health risks for mom and baby(s)
San Francisco

Dr. Anaya is thoughtful and supportive. ... There have been several complications (discovery of Hashimoto's disease and a septate uterus) and poor outcomes to procedures ... Whenever I expressed concern or doubt about the route we were taking, Dr. Anaya explains all the options, the pros and cons of the options, and the studies/or lack of studies supporting it. She is detailed and blunt but done in a compassionate and caring way.
I think they need a more robust financial advisor program. Due to some unclear instructions on both the part of UCSF and our insurance company we blew $12K (out of only $20K) on IVF medication. We were not informed of UCSF's community program with Walgreens until our second round. ... Instead we spent ~$18,000 out of pocket. ... The entire care team including the phlebotomists and rotating fellows are all kind and friendly.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Dr. Anaya is thoughtful and supportive. My IVF journey has been a very twisted path. There have been several complications (discovery of Hashimoto's disease and a septate uterus) and poor outcomes to procedures (first IVF we retrieved 32 eggs but only 1 passed PGS testing). Whenever I expressed concern or doubt about the route we were taking, Dr. Anaya explains all the options, the pros and cons of the options, and the studies/or lack of studies supporting it. She is detailed and blunt but done in a compassionate and caring way. She understands its a hard road and practices patience with patients. However, she is very busy and splits her time between two clinics. Sometimes she is not available when you wish she was. But if you ask to talk to her, the care team always gets in contact with her and schedules a time for you. When you are talking to Dr. Anaya, you have her full attention and she never rushes a conversation.
The one piece of advice I would give a prospective patient is to speak up, ask questions and advocate for yourself. However, I would probably give this advice to anyone talking to any medical provider.
UCSF is a HUGE clinic, if you aren't careful you may feel like a number. But the desk staff, nurses, and Dr, Anaya all try very hard to make each interaction as informative, thorough, and reassuring as possible. You may need to use the messaging portal to ask questions to your nurse. Or ask the nurse if you can set up a call with Dr. Anaya. But as long as you advocate for what you need, Dr. Anaya and her care team will be responsive and compassionate in taking you through the very long IVF journey!
IUI #1 = Clomid, 2 folicles, no pregnancy IUI #2 = Clomid, 4 folicles, no pregnancy IUI #3 = Letrozole, 2 folicles, no pregnancy - switched to see if outcome would change IVF retrieval #1 = BC primer, 150 menopur, 225 gonal-F, later added ganerelix, used lupron during trigger shot ==&gt; resulted in 32 eggs retrieved, 24 fertilized, 17 Day 3 embryos, 6 blastocyst sent to PGS testing, ONLY ONE NORMAL My husband, myself, and Dr. Anaya were all disappointed. We talked about doing another IVF round with the same protocol or with a changed protocol. I pushed for a more mild protocol and Dr. Anaya worked with me. IVF retrieval #2 = Estrace & lupron injection primer, 150 menopur, 150 gonal-F, stimed longer, used an HCG trigger ==&gt; resulted in 33 eggs retrieved, 24 fertilized, 17 Day 3 embryos, 6 blastocyst sent to PGS testing, 4 tested normal FET #1 = First embryo died in thawing process; Estrace patches (1,1,2,4,4,3,2,1) and progesterone injections, 1 embryo transferred ==&gt; no pregnancy UCSF and Dr. Anaya prefer playing it conservatively, only transferring 1 embryo at a time. I agree and prefer this approach. Three embryos remaining and I am currently doing an ERA test. Story is to be continued
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: first 9 months Gianna, now Cheryl)
The entire care team including the phlebotomists and rotating fellows are all kind and friendly. Some are more knowledgeable than others, but if a person doesn't know the answer to a question they will go look for the answer for you.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a HUGE clinic. They have a lot of patients and a lot of staff. Sometimes it takes minute to find the right person to talk to via phone or email, but someone always answers questions within a 12 to 48 hour window. And when interacting with me everyone is friendly and compassionate. I think they need a more robust financial advisor program. Due to some unclear instructions on both the part of UCSF and our insurance company we blew $12K (out of only $20K) on IVF medication. We were not informed of UCSF's community program with Walgreens until our second round.
UCSF and Dr. Anaya prefer playing it conservatively, only transferring 1 embryo at a time. I agree and prefer this approach. I think this is particularly a good approach for my situation, no previous pregnancies (even in miscarriage) and 35+.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I think they need a more robust financial advisor program. Due to some unclear instructions on both the part of UCSF and our insurance company we blew $12K (out of only $20K) on IVF medication. We were not informed of UCSF's community program with Walgreens until our second round. If the program had been communicated appropriately and we were advised to self pay medications, we would have enough money left to have covered both rounds of IVF retrieval. Instead we spent ~$18,000 out of pocket.
Yanett Anaya

Investor
Dr. Noel was measured and didn’t try to pressure me into IVF vs other doctors I had consulted. ... Dr. Noel is compassionate and thoughtful about each patient’s case. ... Strengths: Dr. Noel is thoughtful about her recommendations and fertility plan. She also takes the time to explain and answer questions. She’s responsive over email.
Strengths: wide range of time slots, both early morning and weekends. Very professional staff [UCSF], punctual and high quality of care. Weaknesses: hard to get into the system initially but go above and beyond once you’re a patient. ... Weekend staff didn’t update me on status of embryos as planned. ... Care coordinator: Thuy - she is very responsive and helpful with getting all of the paperwork and necessary appointments set up. Very organized. Main nurse: Olga - she is very organized and is the main point of contact for updates.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Strengths: Dr. Noel is thoughtful about her recommendations and fertility plan. She also takes the time to explain and answer questions. She’s responsive over email. Weaknesses: Dr. Noel hasn’t been as always to access since the email system got updated. Now you can only email the care team and a nurse usually responds. At least the responses are within the day.
Dr. Noel is compassionate and thoughtful about each patient’s case. UCSF is structured to rotate doctors and nurses for each visit. Even though you won’t have that much contact with Dr. Noel, she is making the final decisions and recommendations for you.
Dr. Noel is thoughtful about my case and take the time to explain everything simply, draw diagrams, provide important details and answer all of my questions. She is also realistic and kind at the same time.
We started conservatively with progesterone treatments, then moved to IUI (4 rounds) then IVF when previous methods were unsuccessful. Dr. Noel was measured and didn’t try to pressure me into IVF vs other doctors I had consulted. So far no pregnancy but Dr. Noel mentioned it could take a few tries due to age and lower egg count.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Care coordinator: Thuy - she is very responsive and helpful with getting all of the paperwork and necessary appointments set up. Very organized. Main nurse: Olga - she is very organized and is the main point of contact for updates. Very efficient and explains processes well. Can sometimes be curt but don’t think she means it negatively. General nursing team: all wonderful, well-informed, professional and kind.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: wide range of time slots, both early morning and weekends. Very professional staff, punctual and high quality of care. Weaknesses: hard to get into the system initially but go above and beyond once you’re a patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
IUI costs $3-5k depending on monitoring and insurance coverage. IVF costs about $20-30k depending on specific procedures performed/elected.
The approach is meant to optimize for saving the embryos that I can produce due to lower egg count. So day of transfer and # transferred depends on how many eggs and embryos in that cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Weekend staff didn’t update me on status of embryos as planned.
San Francisco

At start of consultation I was 38 with low ovarian reserve (3 follicles barely 4mm each, FSH 11.2) My husband was 35 and with history of chemo due pancreatic cancer. He [Dr. Rinaudo] said IUI would be the less aggressive route since we wanted to avoid IVF ... Dr. Rinaudo it's one of the most compassionate and caring doctors ice ever dealt with. He was candid, expressed concern and helped with decision making applying evidence based expected outcomes specific to our case
The rooms could be a little "less medical" feeling but honestly I didn't care about going to a foofy clinic. I cared about the expertise and everyone at RHC has been wonderful! ... Both Kat and Norma [nurses] are so fast in responding and so organized. They're always communicating with each other and made every step of the process seamless! They're absolutely the best supporting team I'm ever worked with!
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo made this difficult and scary process just the opposite. He explained everything very clearly and set realistic expectations. My husband was just a couple of years post pancreatic cancer treatment when we first saw Dr. Rinaudo and we assumed the issue was just a male factor but when I got tested and discovered that I had a very low ovarian reserve (only 3 follicles and barely 4mm each during pelvic US) we realized our situation just became tenfold more complex. I was 38 at the time so it wasn't statistically surprising but it was definitely emotionally shocking to find out nevertheless, considering I've always been healthy. After 3 cycles of IUI didn't work Dr. Rinaudo recommended IVF. Having lost my childhood best friend to breast cancer at the age of 33 shortly after IVF, the thought of it was terrifying. Though the statistics aren't clear that IVF causes cancer, I've personally witnessed too many cases. We discussed this with Dr. Rinaudo and he explained that it is important to consider that it's not just IVF but the ongoing hormone surges throughout pregnancy that could trigger cancer. This shed more light on the subject but didn't make going through IVF more enticing. We agreed with my husband that if we came to the point where IVF was the only option we'd get further genetic testing for cancer. This is the ONLY weakness that I would say Dr. Rinaudo has. Neither HE nor ANY medical professional was the one to suggest this test, despite my husband's history of cancer and my Ashkenazi background. Once we told him we want to do the genetic testing, Dr. Rinaudo very quickly arranged for us to meet with a wonderful generic counselor who performed the saliva test. After a few weeks we were contacted by the same genetic counselor who gave us the terrific news that my husband was clear of any genetic cancers (which was my biggest fear) and followed the news my revealing that I have the BRCA2 gene (a fear we didn't anticipate). Now I was even more glad we did the test but even more confused by why NOBODY ever suggests to get this test done considering 1 in 40 people of Jewish descent have some form of the BRCA gene. We decided for me do a double mastectomy and reconstruction and put IVF on hold until I recovered. Now I'm recovered and less fearful of going through IVF. Now I'm ready to get back on track to starting a family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Pick his brain. He's brilliant. But do your research and be your own advocate in the process. This would apply to any doctor as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo it's one of the most compassionate and caring doctors ice ever dealt with. He was candid, expressed concern and helped with decision making applying evidence based expected outcomes specific to our case.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
At start of consultation I was 38 with low ovarian reserve (3 follicles barely 4mm each, FSH 11.2) My husband was 35 and with history of chemo due pancreatic cancer. Double whammy! He said IUI would be the less aggressive route since we wanted to avoid IVF possible so he said we'd give no more than 3 cycles a try then move on to IVF. 3 cycles of IUI resulted in 0 pregnancies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kat and Norma)
Both Kat and Norma are so fast in responding and so organized. They're always communicating with each other and made every step of the process seamless! They're absolutely the best supporting team I'm ever worked with!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic is started off the art and overall beautiful. The rooms could be a little "less medical" feeling but honestly I didn't care about going to a foofy clinic. I cared about the expertise and everyone at RHC has been wonderful!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
We were fortunate to have Cobra insurance coverage under my husband's previous employer in Massachusetts which covered all fertility treatment. We no longer have this coverage and were quoted about $15,000 not including medications per cycle for out of pocket cost.
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Rinaudo suggested single embryo transfer to avoid potential risks associated with potentialof multiples based on our situation and my age
Paolo Rinaudo
San Francisco

She was the first doctor in our process to outline our options and give us hope. Her attention and knowledge were outstanding. ... Due to high risk of OHSS -I had 33 follicles during the initial consult-, Dr. Cedars treated me with an antagonist protocol. ... Doctor Cedars took the time to explain our diagnosis and options. She answers many questions during the course of treatment
I worked with Katharine and Ruthie [nurses at UCSF] and they were both outstanding. They would follow up with me within minutes of me sending them messages, they were on top of the schedule and reacted quickly when we had to make changes (i.e. initiating stimulation a week earlier due to my menses being early). ... I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any of my appointments and I loved finding a book of notes for patients by patients that made me feel understood and less lonely going through the process.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
After a year of trying and getting no answers from Kaiser we transferred our case to UCSF and Dr. Cedars saw us immediately, used the battery of tests we had done through Kaiser to diagnose us and gave us a path forward. She was the first doctor in our process to outline our options and give us hope. Her attention and knowledge were outstanding. To date (we are awaiting to see if the Fresh transfer worked), we joke that we may call any future daughters of ours Marcelle after the doctor.
Trust the doctor
Doctor Cedars took the time to explain our diagnosis and options. She answers many questions during the course of treatment and she worked with Dr. Smith who was treating my husband. She was extremely positive and even conducted some procedures like the saline sonogram herself.
Due to high risk of OHSS -I had 33 follicles during the initial consult-, Dr. Cedars treated me with an antagonist protocol. We started with 75 Menopur and 150 Gonal-F. After 10 days, my estradiol levels went down (one big follicle collapsed) and we increased the dose of Menopur to two vials. Two days later we triggered and we got 19 eggs (all 19 mature).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Katharine Porras)
I worked with Katharine and Ruthie and they were both outstanding. They would follow up with me within minutes of me sending them messages, they were on top of the schedule and reacted quickly when we had to make changes (i.e. initiating stimulation a week earlier due to my menses being early). I have really enjoyed working with them and I have felt very cared for.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The facilities have to be the best in the country. The Mission Bay Campus is incredible. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any of my appointments and I loved finding a book of notes for patients by patients that made me feel understood and less lonely going through the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Monitoring was done in the mornings and it was very convenient as it was from 7 AM until 9 AM which meant not having to miss work. It was extremely easy to get appointments and I was always able to get them at my preferred time.
The doctor strongly recommended eSET due to my egg, hormonal levels and health history. She also recommended a fresh transfer after monitoring me daily from day 5 of stims.
San Francisco

16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 grew to day 6 for biopsy + PGS, 1 euploid embryo [protocol with Dr. Thalia Segal]...While our diagnosis is unexplained infertility, Dr. Segal seemed to create a plan that made sense and explained anything I had questions about...The only complaints I had was that she wasn't aware of the conversation topic for a couple phone consults that were scheduled. Not sure if this was an issue with her team, but it didn't make for a great experience for those calls.
My understanding is that UCSF has very good technology, research and reputation. Their equipment is state of the art and we were able to be a part of a study that had low risks but saved us about $2500 that we would have spent anyways. That is why we chose UCSF. The issue here seems to be process and perhaps that they have WAY too many patients to manage. For instance, there are multiple forms that you must sign with a witness and no one makes sure that you have all of them at once and gets every single item signed at the same time. They are very disorganized and seemingly quite unaware of the issues. They are supposed to be fixing it and I hope they will so other people don't waste time and money. Make sure to advocate for yourself. Try your best to get an understanding of the bigger process and deadlines if you're on a tight timeline. Self pay medications with them are extremely affordable. I think friends that went to private clinics paid a lot more.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
While I didn't see Dr. Segal much, every encounter in person or on the phone was pleasant. She answered every question I had, made sure I knew the benefits and the risks and was empathetic and informative. Overall really professional. The only complaints I had was that she wasn't aware of the conversation topic for a couple phone consults that were scheduled. Not sure if this was an issue with her team, but it didn't make for a great experience for those calls.
Be clear about your goals, ask a lot of questions.
In person and on the phone, Dr. Segal (and every other person at UCSF CRH that I've been in contact with) is kind, informative and very helpful. While our diagnosis is unexplained infertility, Dr. Segal seemed to create a plan that made sense and explained anything I had questions about. The process at UCSF, however, is very flawed. It's not clear where you are in the process, who you are supposed to be in touch with, it takes on average 3 calls to get a phone call/email back. Expect for this to take longer than you think it will. I had my first appointment early April and was planning to do my first egg retrieval starting end of May and one day before cycle day 1, they called to tell me that they had to push to the next cycle. Needless to say I was quite unhappy about this as we were trying to get all this done as my insurance plan year is coming to a close. Apparently UCSF is working to fix some serious issues, but be warned - you must be an advocate for yourself and push them along. Maybe other teams are more organized but it really sounds like it's a UCSF thing not a team/Dr. specific issue.
Skipped estrace priming, 4 days Menopur 150 IU/ Gonal F 150 IU, 5 days Ganirelix 250 mcg and Menopur 150 IU / Gonal F 75, cotrigger with 4mg Lupron/2500 units HCG. I had 2 lead follicles early in the process so skipping the estrace priming was probably a mistake and will be added to the next egg retrieval cycle. My estrogen level was a bit high so changed to cotrigger Lupron with HCG instead of only HCG. 16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 grew to day 6 for biopsy + PGS, 1 euploid embryo
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona)
I spoke to the nurse very rarely. Two issues happened - the nursing team couldn't call in my prescriptions in time for the first scheduled egg retrieval in early June. This was the reason my cycle was pushed out. Second issue, is that no one called with my 2nd blood draw numbers and so I didn't change my dosage. It's unknown whether a dosage change would have been needed but I was instructed after my 3rd blood draw that if I hadn't heard from anyone that day to call (even to ER line after hours) the day of a blood draw to confirm the dosage amounts.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
$15k fertility services charged to BCBS insurance, paid $8k out of pocket. $5k fertility prescriptions charged to BCBS insurance, paid $2500 out of pocket
UCSF always talks about the goal being a singleton pregnancy so I believe they will only implant 1 at a time. I'm also high risk due to autoimmune conditions so implanting 1 has been my expectation from the beginning.
Thalia Segal

2019, Consult
My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor [Dr. Huddleston] reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications...was very kind and understanding . She answered all of my husband and my questions with great care...was very intelligent and broke down the whole process of IVF even drew pictures so we completely understood what was going on she was very empathetic to our situation and also offered to enroll us into a case study if we wanted to because it could possibly be a little less expensive route . She was very patient and gave detailed explanations to us and asked if we had questions along the way.
Parking was a little expensive [at UCSF]...it is a beautiful facility very clean and warming...you are instantly greeted when you walk in . We didn’t have to wait to be seen we were seen exactly on time!!...Our care coordinator was awesome explained everything answered all my what if questions and worked with our schedule ...My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor [Dr. Huddleston] reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr.Huddleston was very intelligent and broke down the whole process of IVF even drew pictures so we completely understood what was going on she was very empathetic to our situation and also offered to enroll us into a case study if we wanted to because it could possibly be a little less expensive route . She was very patient and gave detailed explanations to us and asked if we had questions along the way.
To be open and honest with her and due to her willingness to explain come in with a list of questions prepared.
Heather was very kind and understanding . She answered all of my husband and my questions with great care.
I am currently undergoing treatment with Dr.Huddleston. She did explain in our first appointment why we needed to do the sonogram because my husband and I were hesitant due to us not having coverage for it and did not want to pay for something that was unnecessary at the time but she explained the reasoning why we needed it which was Because she needed to get an initial look at the female reproductive System as well as a current egg count to know an approximation of how many eggs could be produced in retrieval and to see if there were any anatomical abnormalities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn kong)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Parking was a little expensive and there is construction around the area currently so it was a little difficult getting there but the contractors were very nice and gave directions but other than that it is a beautiful facility very clean and warming the security helped us find what floor to get to and you are instantly greeted when you walk in . We didn’t have to wait to be seen we were seen exactly on time!!
So far nothing yet but looking over the bill it’s going to be +$10,000
My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications and she wants us to have a healthy pregnancy so she transfers only one embryo at a time. Unless your over 40 and your egg quality is lower she only does o e embryo.