6.6
6.6

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Huddleston is extremely sympathetic and kind. ... But she is quite conservative in her treatment protocols. ... My greatest critique of Dr. Huddleston however, was her insistence that we did not need to test my husbands sperm before Femara cycles with timed intercourse ,because I had had 2 pregnancies (and miscarriages). As it turns out, his sperm motility and count were quite low, but we didn't find this out until much later, wasting a ton of time.
a few tests that were supposed to be ordered were left off of the lab request. And in one case the wrong test was ordered ... Overall the clinic [UCSF] seems to have decent, if conservative, doctors. ... The administration and nursing staff were chaotic. ... I would double check everything you are told, or you may end up wasting a lot of time. I only had medicated cycles with this clinic. When it came time to move on to IVF, I went elsewhere. There are just too many moving parts with IVF to risk administrative errors.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is extremely sympathetic and kind. She is also knowledgeable in the field of recurrent pregnancy loss. But she is quite conservative in her treatment protocols. For example, while other doctors might try metformin, a blood thinner or immune treatment speculatively, Dr. Huddleston strictly follows the research literature. This could be a good or a bad thing depending on your outlook. She was willing to try metformin for my mild case of PCOS, after I delivered her a bunch of my own research. My greatest critique of Dr. Huddleston however, was her insistence that we did not need to test my husbands sperm before Femara cycles with timed intercourse ,because I had had 2 pregnancies (and miscarriages). As it turns out, his sperm motility and count were quite low, but we didn't find this out until much later, wasting a ton of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She is not likely to think very far outside of the box. So do your own research and advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is very nice and has a good bedside manner. However, her nursing and administration team was a nightmare. It was difficult to get in touch with anyone. At one point they ordered the wrong tests for blood work, and left out other tests. If I wasn't constantly double checking their work major things would have been missed.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We did 2 cycles of Femara with timed intercourse. The second cycle we also had ultrasound monitoring, at my request. Dr. Huddleston believed that I could get pregnant on my own and that my 2 miscarriages were likely "bad luck." So, we just tried Femara to get a "stronger ovulation" which would hopefully trigger a more robust hormonal response. Neither cycle resulted in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
The administration and nursing staff were chaotic. They are juggling a lot of patients, and things often seemed to fall through the cracks. I had to follow up with them constantly to clarify instructions. Once they ordered the wrongs tests, and I had to get blood drawn multiple times. If I hadn't been double checking things they never would have caught this on their own
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Overall the clinic seems to have decent, if conservative, doctors. But the administration needs a lot of improvement. I would double check everything you are told, or you may end up wasting a lot of time. I only had medicated cycles with this clinic. When it came time to move on to IVF, I went elsewhere. There are just too many moving parts with IVF to risk administrative errors.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had a large number of tests ordered to try to get to the bottom of my recurrent pregnancy loss. However, a few tests that were supposed to be ordered were left off of the lab request. And in one case the wrong test was ordered (the name sounded similar to the correct test). If I didn't know exactly what tests I was supposed to be getting, I wouldn't have been able to catch all of this and correct it.
San Francisco

Dr Noel was very warm during our initial consultation. She also called me personally when we needed to cancel my first IUI cycle because I "over responded" to the Letrazole...I don't think she was aggressive enough in my first set of treatments given my age and how many children I wanted. When I got a second option, the new Dr (who I prefer) told me she never would have started with fertility meds only without including IUI. I also had to cancel a cycle which I disagreed with (and the new Dr did also)
Communication was slow and difficult [at UCSF]. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely...is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Martha Noel is lovely and great at explaining things but for me she was too conservative/risk averse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Letrazole 2.5mg for 3 months, then increase Letrazole + IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Communication was slow and difficult. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF CRH is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
1st Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $1800! (through Progyny and I hadn't met my deductible so I paid the crazy insurance rate) 2nd and 3rd Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $450 each b/c I paid out of pocket - basically paid for one ultrasound appointment
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
1) I had a progesterone blood test to confirm ovulation and came back as 0 (did not ovulate) when I know I had. I demanded they run it again and it came back 26 (did ovulate) 2) I've had to call/email to get results of tests and/or inquire about my next protocol 3) I've had to call/email multiple times to get Rx's phoned in

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I'm sure he's [Dr. Mitch Rosen] well educated and knows things in his field. But he seems way to busy for patient care. He is head of the lab at UCSF, and he's helping with some other new clinic out of the country, so patient care is not his priority. If you have a pretty straightforward case, you'll do well on a standard protocol. But I wouldn't expect him to turn over every stone to help you get pregnant
If you think this is a big clinic with a lot of established processes that will take care of your treatment, you're wrong. They [UCSF] do have a lot of processes, but they don't follow them a lot of times, or the process is super clunky. You will need to manage your own care, basically, stay on top of every appointment, every prescription, every test result. it's a lot of work (and you're still paying them a lot of money).
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
I'm sure he's well educated and knows things in his field. But he seems way to busy for patient care. He is head of the lab at UCSF, and he's helping with some other new clinic out of the country, so patient care is not his priority. If you have a pretty straightforward case, you'll do well on a standard protocol. But I wouldn't expect him to turn over every stone to help you get pregnant
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Interactions with Dr Rosen: I was put on a protocol that seems very common for women with diminished ovarian reserves (know of several people that are doing exactly the same). There was little follow-up after each procedure, some none, sometimes a 5 min phone call. Little analysis on what went well and what went poorly in the cycle. After several cycles and after they missed ovulation on one of my cycles, i escalated the situation big time, he got more attentive after that, but it still remains to be seen if that continues. Every time I ask what else could we be doing to improve my chances, his answer is "just keep doing what you're doing", i.e. he's not readily engaging in the conversation and just wants the phone call to be over with quickly. And given the low success rate so far and the cost, "keep doing what you're doing" is not a good advice. His nurse, Liz Gomes, is fantastic
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
IUIs with clomid; full IVF with menopur and Gona, ganirelixl and trigger shot; mini-IVFs with gonal only, ganirelix and trigger shot
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes is great and one of the two reasons I'm still with UCSF (the second reason is cheap meds). However, with the rest of nursing staff, you can have a hit or a miss. It's always a different person who does your appointments, different person who calls with you results and next steps etc. And the clerical/ admin staff at UCSF is absolutely TERRIBLE and incompetent: they mess up a $5K payment, they mess up your medical records, they give you wrong information about COVID protocol, they don't respect your privacy, and few of them are just simply rude/ snappish to patients (they clearly just don't want to be there)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Very poorly organized. If you think this is a big clinic with a lot of established processes that will take care of your treatment, you're wrong. They do have a lot of processes, but they don't follow them a lot of times, or the process is super clunky. You will need to manage your own care, basically, stay on top of every appointment, every prescription, every test result. it's a lot of work (and you're still paying them a lot of money). The clerical/ admin staff at UCSF is absolutely TERRIBLE and incompetent: they mess up a $5K payment, they mess up your medical records, they give you wrong information about COVID protocol, they don't respect your privacy, they can't account for the sperm vials you had delivered to them, and few of them are just simply rude/ snappish to patients (they clearly just don't want to be there). Add to that a buggy and badly laid out communication portal (even after 2 upgrades in the last 2 years, it's still rubbish), having to go through several switch operators on the phone, and no one ever picking up the phone in the admin side. The list goes on and on
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
Self-pay cost, no insurance coverage: - 2K for IUI - 6K for mini-stim IVF with cryo preservation/ no transfer - 15K for a full IVF with cryo/ no transfer - 4K for frozen transfer
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
They seem to be very strongly preferring singleton pregnancies. Every time I mention that twins are ok, he cringes.
See above
San Francisco

[Dr. Segal] was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself...She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications...
UCSF treats you like a number. It's a volume shop that will batch you up, meaning you need to take birth control and go through the gates of generalized infection classes and another class that may not have much to do with your own care...The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
She was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself. Because of her error, she greenlighted my injections without coordinating with the anesthesiologist who ultimately was extremely alarmist about my baseline health and she decided to cancel my cycle instead of working with him towards a solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Make sure that any abnormal health history from your labwork is thoroughly reviewed and discussed prior to proceeding with the cost and effort of IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Her support staff was extremely rude and callous, even making me cry during a procedure confirmation of the legal documents. She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications and poor teamwork with the anesthesiologist which caused my cycle to be canceled after months of working with her and over a week of wasted injections and appointments.
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Gonal F 125 IU + Menopur 75 IU SQ ; Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Eugenia Gonzalez; Anne Garcillano)
The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly. Eugenia is particularly uncaring and bad, she was so unclear about consents that she claimed that 99% of the patients mess it up with no sense of self-awareness that it because of her poor communication. My previous care coordinator had been fired due to incompetence as well.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Thalia Segal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Would only do elective single embryo transfer
Thalia Segal
San Francisco

Generally when I saw Dr. Huddleston I was treated very well. However, I often saw other doctors or residents and sometimes they were not aware of my specific situation until I brought them up to speed. ... Almost all of my interactions with Dr. Huddleston were excellent. She is a good listener, is calm and explained things in great detail when I asked. ... she presented pros and cons of both and I elected to transfer one embryo
UCSF CRH is a big clinic. People won't remember you from visit to visit and you are essentially moved through the process without many personal touches. ... The financial coordinators are very difficult to reach, and I was not told that I could have an in person meeting with them until after I'd already started treatment. ... My first nurse was Anne who I had several negative experiences with. My second nurse (I asked to be switched) was Olga and she was great and a very good communicator.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Almost all of my interactions with Dr. Huddleston were excellent. She is a good listener, is calm and explained things in great detail when I asked. She was also fairly responsive when I asked my nurse or coordinator to ask her questions between visits. She was also willing to work with me to accommodate my disability.
Go with a list of questions prepared ahead of time. Advocate for yourself - you are your own best advocate and you have the most invested in your treatment.
Generally when I saw Dr. Huddleston I was treated very well. However, I often saw other doctors or residents and sometimes they were not aware of my specific situation until I brought them up to speed. That made me feel more like a number. Also my interactions with the front desk staff and clerical staff and some of the nurses and coordinators made it obvious that I was more of a number to them.
Dr. Huddleston treated my DOR and recommended ICSI since I was using donor sperm (not related to infertility but because I do not have a partner with sperm). We also did PGS testing on the embryos that were created.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn, Anne, Olga)
My coordinator was Janlyn. She got more responsive as my treatment progressed. My first nurse was Anne who I had several negative experiences with. My second nurse (I asked to be switched) was Olga and she was great and a very good communicator. I should note that Dr. Huddleston's main nurse (I think her name is Brittany) was out while I was in treatment.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I was paying out of pocket and I looked at UCSF's statistics and prices and compared to other local clinics they are impressive. The clinic is also near my office and I was able to get early morning and lunchtime visits for monitoring. UCSF CRH is a big clinic. People won't remember you from visit to visit and you are essentially moved through the process without many personal touches. I was able to participate in a few interesting research studies (two of which that saved me a bit of money). The financial coordinators are very difficult to reach, and I was not told that I could have an in person meeting with them until after I'd already started treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
I paid about $25,000 for one retrieval and one transfer. I had two PGS normal embryos, transferred one, it split, and am pregnant with twins.
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I did not get the sense that Dr. Huddleston had a strong preference. She presented pros and cons of both and I elected to transfer one embryo (that split into twins). She supported me in transferring one.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
For each of my three betas, the lab results were released in the morning in the online portal (10-11am). I would call the clinic multiple times to try and speak to a nurse or doctor about the results, but wouldn't hear back until 4-6pm in the evening. This was very frustrating for me. There were a couple of times that I was billed extra costs unexpectedly, which I think was more about my not being able to meet with the financial counselors ahead of time than any sort of shady business practices. I also had one nurse who had terrible communication skills. I was switched to progesterone in ethyl oleate after getting pregnant because I became allergic to the sesame oil, and I still haven't been able to get reimbursed because I was "self pay" at UCSF and so they did not submit a prior authorization to my insurance. (I do not have infertility coverage but do have coverage after getting pregnant.)
San Francisco

16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 grew to day 6 for biopsy + PGS, 1 euploid embryo [protocol with Dr. Thalia Segal]...While our diagnosis is unexplained infertility, Dr. Segal seemed to create a plan that made sense and explained anything I had questions about...The only complaints I had was that she wasn't aware of the conversation topic for a couple phone consults that were scheduled. Not sure if this was an issue with her team, but it didn't make for a great experience for those calls.
My understanding is that UCSF has very good technology, research and reputation. Their equipment is state of the art and we were able to be a part of a study that had low risks but saved us about $2500 that we would have spent anyways. That is why we chose UCSF. The issue here seems to be process and perhaps that they have WAY too many patients to manage. For instance, there are multiple forms that you must sign with a witness and no one makes sure that you have all of them at once and gets every single item signed at the same time. They are very disorganized and seemingly quite unaware of the issues. They are supposed to be fixing it and I hope they will so other people don't waste time and money. Make sure to advocate for yourself. Try your best to get an understanding of the bigger process and deadlines if you're on a tight timeline. Self pay medications with them are extremely affordable. I think friends that went to private clinics paid a lot more.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
While I didn't see Dr. Segal much, every encounter in person or on the phone was pleasant. She answered every question I had, made sure I knew the benefits and the risks and was empathetic and informative. Overall really professional. The only complaints I had was that she wasn't aware of the conversation topic for a couple phone consults that were scheduled. Not sure if this was an issue with her team, but it didn't make for a great experience for those calls.
Be clear about your goals, ask a lot of questions.
In person and on the phone, Dr. Segal (and every other person at UCSF CRH that I've been in contact with) is kind, informative and very helpful. While our diagnosis is unexplained infertility, Dr. Segal seemed to create a plan that made sense and explained anything I had questions about. The process at UCSF, however, is very flawed. It's not clear where you are in the process, who you are supposed to be in touch with, it takes on average 3 calls to get a phone call/email back. Expect for this to take longer than you think it will. I had my first appointment early April and was planning to do my first egg retrieval starting end of May and one day before cycle day 1, they called to tell me that they had to push to the next cycle. Needless to say I was quite unhappy about this as we were trying to get all this done as my insurance plan year is coming to a close. Apparently UCSF is working to fix some serious issues, but be warned - you must be an advocate for yourself and push them along. Maybe other teams are more organized but it really sounds like it's a UCSF thing not a team/Dr. specific issue.
Skipped estrace priming, 4 days Menopur 150 IU/ Gonal F 150 IU, 5 days Ganirelix 250 mcg and Menopur 150 IU / Gonal F 75, cotrigger with 4mg Lupron/2500 units HCG. I had 2 lead follicles early in the process so skipping the estrace priming was probably a mistake and will be added to the next egg retrieval cycle. My estrogen level was a bit high so changed to cotrigger Lupron with HCG instead of only HCG. 16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 grew to day 6 for biopsy + PGS, 1 euploid embryo
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona)
I spoke to the nurse very rarely. Two issues happened - the nursing team couldn't call in my prescriptions in time for the first scheduled egg retrieval in early June. This was the reason my cycle was pushed out. Second issue, is that no one called with my 2nd blood draw numbers and so I didn't change my dosage. It's unknown whether a dosage change would have been needed but I was instructed after my 3rd blood draw that if I hadn't heard from anyone that day to call (even to ER line after hours) the day of a blood draw to confirm the dosage amounts.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
$15k fertility services charged to BCBS insurance, paid $8k out of pocket. $5k fertility prescriptions charged to BCBS insurance, paid $2500 out of pocket
UCSF always talks about the goal being a singleton pregnancy so I believe they will only implant 1 at a time. I'm also high risk due to autoimmune conditions so implanting 1 has been my expectation from the beginning.
Thalia Segal
San Francisco

Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates.... I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
Billing [UCSF] is a nightmare... We'd often get emails at 7 pm the night before a procedure that had our bill (typically for thousands of dollars) and the bill would be due early the next morning or else they would discontinue the cycle.... Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person."
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston is fabulous — I loved her bedside manner, her ability to make recommendations, and her willingness to customize treatment. She was willing to fit me in early mornings for extra tests like saline sonograms and laparoscopies just to make sure that we could hit our goal transfer dates. However, we are yet to be successful, so I don't know how much any of that matters. Also, the lead-in times for treatments felt extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer); I'm not certain if that was just Huddleston or a UCSF rule. But it did make everything feel like it took forever.
This is a hard one. I think she's lovely. I don't love that I didn't get to work with her more directly, but UCSF is a group practice and we knew that going in.
Dr. Huddleston is incredibly kind and bright. After meeting with countless doctors she felt like a breath of fresh air. Throughout our treatments she listened to our concerns and tried to customize protocols to fit within our desired timelines or requirements.
During retrieval, I was on Gonal-F and Menapur. There were some specific drugs that I trigged with, but I don't recall those. During the transfer, there was a month of birth control followed by several weeks of Estridol patches with Letrazol and then progesterone in oil shots (IM) for 5 days leading into the transfer. PIO was continued until the Beta HCG blood test. I didn't seem to have any negative side effects or reactions to the medications. During retrieval I had 20 mature eggs, so stims seemed to work well. I didn't love taking so many drugs for so long during the transfers, but I didn't necessarily have adverse effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittney)
Brittney was the nurse coordinator and she has been amazing. She recently left on leave, and so far I don't have a single point of contact but the team is good at getting back to me quickly. The remaining nurses and staff are kind, funny, nice and thorough.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: top-notch, everything is brand new and the technology is superb. We always felt like we were getting the highest level of care. Weaknesses: it's group care, which can feel like you don't have one person to be your "point person." Also, getting new appointments can take forever, and the protocols for treatments are extremely long (6-8 weeks for a transfer and just 8+ weeks for a retrieval).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
Retrieval = Approx $16K Meds = $200 (UCSF has a grant with the government for self-pay people) Transfers = $5k each
Dr. Huddletson always went with the default of 1 embryo based on my age. But when we pressed her to consider two, she had no issue with letting us choose. We ultimately decided on one, but the decision was ours to make.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Billing is a nightmare; from what I've heard it is like this at every IVF clinic. We'd often get emails at 7 pm the night before a procedure that had our bill (typically for thousands of dollars) and the bill would be due early the next morning or else they would discontinue the cycle. Often these letters included language along the lines of "you're going through a hard time and this is a lot of money. You need to sign that you understand everything in this letter. You're 100% responsible for all of the complex fine print here. If you don't understand you need to have a meeting with our billing team prior to signing." Considering we were getting complex bills with legal agreements attached to them — getting them late the night before they were due was extremely stressful. Also, we learned to read the bills carefully because often the amounts were wrong.
San Francisco

We had a couple of meetings with Dr. Rinaudo but most of the time, we dealt with his assistant and nurses. At times, I felt like I shouldn't ask too many questions because I sensed that he's busy. It's not that Dr. Rinaudo was unfriendly, it's just that I didn't feel like he genuinely cared. I am just one of the many patients he's treating...He also didn't follow up after the treatment when it resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
I like the facility and location. Everything is new and clean. I do think they are understaffed as everyone seems to be running from one thing to the next...Paula was great and very helpful. However, I had a sense that she was too busy....We had a couple of meetings with Dr. Rinaudo but most of the time, we dealt with his assistant and nurses....here are some REs that are better than others but those are booked months if not years ahead
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I guess I will say be firm and make sure you get to speak to him when you really need to
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo gave me a sense that he is very busy. It's not that he would cut you off but I was given the impression that my time is up when I asked a lot of questions. He also didn't follow up after the treatment when it resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I was on the Estrace Priming Antagonist protocol. Since it was my first IVF, Dr Rinaudo said we would go with this and adjust accordingly. We didn't have to adjust anything so I think he selected the right protocol. However, of the 15 eggs retrieved, only 5 fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula Chavez)
Paula was great and very helpful. However, I had a sense that she was too busy.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I like the facility and location. Everything is new and clean. I do think they are understaffed as everyone seems to be running from one thing to the next. There are some REs that are better than others but those are booked months if not years ahead so as a new patient, I'd recommend you do your research and choose the physician you want to see instead of being assigned one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
Around $15000
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I've been reading more about the risks of multiple embryo transfer and I think going forward, I would do PGS and single embryo transfer.
Paolo Rinaudo
San Francisco

Since I rarely see Dr. Cakmak during my visitations, I can't really say much about his strengths. Based on my initial consultation, he explained the whole IVF process to us and it made a lot of sense. He also tries to make me feel comfortable by trying to engage in conversations while performing the sonogram.... I do have to say that one of his weakness is not being able to do a smooth transfer on transfer day even with a mock transfer.
The clinic's strengths is that they [UCSF- San Fran] treat you with respect. The weakness of the this clinic is that they work as a team where you can see anybody within the clinic so there is really no bonding between patient and provider.... for the most part, the nursing staff were kind and helpful. Everyone always greet me and my husband with a smile.... retrieval=$12,000, anesthesia=$800, sonogram=$600, genetic testing=$300, freezing embryos=$500 initially
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Since I rarely see Dr. Cakmak during my visitations, I can't really say much about his strengths. Based on my initial consultation, he explained the whole IVF process to us and it made a lot of sense. He also tries to make me feel comfortable by trying to engage in conversations while performing the sonogram. He had a positive attitude and believed that I would have a successful pregnancy even after multiple failed attempts. I do have to say that one of his weakness is not being able to do a smooth transfer on transfer day even with a mock transfer. He stated that I have a very curvy cervix but other providers were able to do it without working with me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
I would advise a patient to not expect to meet or see Dr. Cakmak other than the initial consultation. Since I was unsuccessful, I had the option of doing a follow-up with him but other than that, you would have to go through the staff. You would only see him if your appointment happens to land on the day he is on duty because UCSF has multiple providers working in the same clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
I honestly don't know how other clinics work but I feel like they don't care for the patient as a whole. They don't check/evaluate the patient's wellness during the visit. I never got evaluated for why I I was unsuccessful 3 times and had 1 miscarriage.
Describe the protocols Hakan Cakmak used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I don't remember protocols for the retrieval process because it was about two years ago. I do remember that in the beginning, he only gave me 1cc or progesterone and then after being unsuccessful, increased it to 2cc and I got pregnant but had a miscarriage. For the last two transfers, we started at .5cc for two days, 1cc for two days, and then 1.5cc up until I found out the pregnancy results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
All I have to say is that for the most part, the nursing staff were kind and helpful. Everyone always greet me and my husband with a smile.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic's strengths is that they treat you with respect. The weakness of the this clinic is that they work as a team where you can see anybody within the clinic so there is really no bonding between patient and provider.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Well we live out of town so going in for an appointment would be the whole day. All the appointment was never convenient for us as far as the day goes but they did let us choose the time that is convenient for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
retrieval=$12,000, anesthesia=$800, sonogram=$600, genetic testing=$300, freezing embryos=$500 initially (increases by $100 every year), FET=$3000, medications/supplies=$500-$1000
Describe Hakan Cakmak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
My doctor strongly suggested that we only transferred one embryo because I was 26 at the time and he said young people have a high success rate. After the first failed attempt, our doctor allowed the following two attempt to have two embryos. He informed us that a single healthy baby was their goal and that multiple births might be risky.
Hakan Cakmak
San Francisco

I wouldn't say that Dr. Rinaudo made me feel like a number, but the UCSF clinic environment that he operated in did make me feel anonymous and I didn't necessarily feel like my doctor was strongly invested in the success of my outcome. He is a very kind and genteel person, but he wasn't ever able to offer me insights into why my transfers weren't succeeding or what we might be able to do differently.... My first cycle was cancelled due to poor response to the treatment protocol.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt like Dr. Rinaudo didn't necessarily have a strong investment in my outcome. My first cycle was cancelled due to poor response to the treatment protocol. From then on (subsequent 2 retrievals) he stayed with a protocol that he said was the only / best one for me given my poor response to the first one. The protocol didn't yield very many eggs, and when embryos were cultured out to Day 5 there were even less to work with. He explained it to me as an egg quality issue / limit of my age, which I understand but I always had a nagging feeling that there should be some adjustment tried or even contemplated to get a better result. From my first retrieval, only three Day 5 embryos survived. We transferred them one at a time with no success. I became interested in PGS for my second retrieval as a way to get past my egg quality issues. Dr. Rinaudo tried to explain the risks of the process to me, but I insisted on it because I was trying to "solve the problem" and I suppose I didn't have enough of a sense that he was trying to solve it with as much purpose or passion. So we went for the PGS, and unfortunately ended up with only one embryo to test which came back as anuploid. It was a traumatic experience for me to go through a retrieval process and end up with no embryos to transfer. I ended up taking a four month break so my husband and I could regroup, and then we switched clinics.
I think Dr. Rinaudo could provide more guidance to a couple, to create a more informed process, while still leaving the ultimate decision up to the patient. I think he's a lovely person, and perhaps he and I just didn't have a personality fit, but I felt like I needed more expert guidance from a RE.
I wouldn't say that Dr. Rinaudo made me feel like a number, but the UCSF clinic environment that he operated in did make me feel anonymous and I didn't necessarily feel like my doctor was strongly invested in the success of my outcome. He is a very kind and genteel person, but he wasn't ever able to offer me insights into why my transfers weren't succeeding or what we might be able to do differently. I didn't feel like he was really trying to solve the problem of my case, just repeating the same protocol with no adjustments because he said it was the best / only protocol for me. However, I subsequently switched clinics and have gotten somewhat better results with my retrieval there in terms of the numbers of eggs retrieved (although no positive pregnancy test yet).
Dr. Rinaudo did my first cycle as an antagonist protocol I believe (Gonal F, Ganirelix, Menopur as the primary medications). My body didn't respond well and that cycle was cancelled. For two subsequent retrievals we used a Clomid Flare protocol. I understand this is for poor responders, and that was his rationale for using it. However it resulted in small numbers of eggs (7 one time, 6 the other). I inquired about changing it for my last retrieval with him and he said it was the only / best one for me. However, in a subsequent cycle at a different clinic, my RE has used a different protocol and gotten better results (14 eggs retrieved). So I believe that my nagging feeling that Dr. Rinaudo should have looked at ways to adjust that protocol for me was the correct feeling.
The main nurse I interacted with was honestly a bit brusque and lacking in the compassion that I expected from such a role. One time she actually sort of questioned / almost accused me about having an extra dose of one of my medications when I provided her with a medication inventory for an upcoming cycle (it turns out that she had over-ordered it). And one time she forgot to order needles for one of my injectables and my husband and I had to scramble to get them. We had a communication issue related to my Day 2 embryo report on my second cycle, which left me not knowing whether I would be doing a Day 3 transfer the next day, or whether my embryos would be cultured out to Day 5. It was incredibly stressful. I actually felt mildly uncomfortable with this nurse and did feel like I was a number to her.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I know that UCSF is a center of excellence, and I took great comfort in knowing that I was at one of the country's best centers for reproductive health. However, I think the patient experience comes down to the doctors and nurses you interact with most frequently, and my experiences there during these cycles left me feeling unsure how important my case was and whether everything that could be done for me (as an older patient with poor egg quality) was being done. This is why I switched - I felt like I needed more personalized attention, and I had had a good experience with an RE who had moved on from UCSF so I could compare the approaches. So I went to his clinic after two unsuccessful cycles with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
My first retrieval and three transfers were covered by my insurance. My final cycle was a self-pay cycle with a retrieval and PGS but no transfers unfortunately, and I believe it was around $15,000.
Dr. Rinaudo understood that my husband and I were trying to avoid twins, and he was supportive of our decision to only transfer one Day 5 embryo at a time. However, I wish he had educated us more on the statistical probability of that approach actually working out for someone of my age. My current RE let us make the ultimate decision of course, but he did a statistical analysis that showed that we could safely transfer 3 Day 3 embryos at a time to cover the number of embryos that probably wouldn't survive. I know it's difficult to compare Day 5 to Day 3, but I felt like we were making a more informed, rational decision with our current RE than with Dr. Rinaudo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I think I've elaborated on what went wrong during my previous responses. But in particular there was an issue with my Day 2 embryo report results not getting communicated to me in a timely manner that caused me enormous stress during my final cycle there. This left me not knowing whether i'd be doing a Day 3 transfer the very next day, or whether my embryos would be cultured to Day 5 and sent for PGS testing. The nurse apparently couldn't get through to my cell phone and left multiple messages there all day long without trying any other avenues, such as my email or my husband's cell phone. When the nurse finally connected with me it felt like she was blaming me for the messages being delayed on my cell phone. I have no idea why my cell wasn't working properly but a nurse has to be a better problem solver than that.
Paolo Rinaudo

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
My insurance covered most of the cost, but the billing process was slow,and I received a bill from them a year after the treatment when I already changed insurance.... I have a friend who got good treatment at UCSF and got pregnant, but my experience here with Dr. Hakan was terrible. He just didn't show any care at all. I guess the doctor quality can vary a lot at this facility, be sure to choose a good doctor who really cares.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr. Hakan was the first infertility doctor I see. I only talked to him once. Because my husband has 0 sperm count, we decided to do IUI with donor sperm. I only saw him once when we first decided on the plan. He never followed up with me after that. I'm not even sure if he ever looked at my test results. I did 5 cycles of IUI all negative. The doctor never once proposed any different approaches, never discussed with me on the result at the end of each cycle. I later switched to Kaiser, and was diagnosed that I had a bloated left ovarian tube, which would produce toxic liquid that cut my pregnancy success rate half. I felt I wasted a lot of time and money for doing the 5 cycles of IUI at UCSF without finding out anything.
go to someone else who actually cares.
Only see him once, never talked or followed up with me after that. I'm not even sure if he ever looked at my test results. I did 5 cycles of IUI all negative. The doctor never once proposed any different approaches proactively, never discussed with me on the result at the end of each cycle. I later switched to Kaiser, and was diagnosed that I had a bloated left ovarian tube, which would produce toxic liquid that cut my pregnancy success rate half. I feel I wasted a lot of time and money for doing the 5 cycles of IUI at UCSF without finding out anything.
Dr. Hakan suggested medical assisted IUI with donor sperm. As I was not aware of any infertility issue on my part, I suggested I'll try the first cycle without medicine assist, which didn't work. The following 4 cycles are all medicine assisted, none of them worked either. Dr. Hakan never reviewed the result with me after each failed cycle. I felt like really left in the dark just trying by myself. Later at a different facility, I was diagnosed with one dialect fallopian tube, and also with poor egg quality.
Nurses are okay
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I have a friend who got good treatment at UCSF and got pregnant, but my experience here with Dr. Hakan was terrible. He just didn't show any care at all. I guess the doctor quality can vary a lot at this facility, be sure to choose a good doctor who really cares. Talk to a few before you begin your treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
didn't discuss that
Hakan Cakmak

2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Rosen is a sensitive doctor and you can tell he's good at it but it sometimes felt like he was desensitized and my case was not dissimilar to the next. You might want to also be sure what choices and options you want to go down before you see him, if possible.
Billing and paperwork is a nightmare there [at UCSF Fertility]. I sent my medical history over 3 times and they never got it. You can't get a hold of the billing department to get any questions answered.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Appointment were timely, although the front desk is a bit scattered. But once you got in to see dr Rosen, at least the first time I met with him, I had a good feeling about him. He had a six sense but I also felt that he was 10 steps ahead of me. For instance, I got an hsg test done and the results sent over. It took some time to even get a call with dr Rosen and for about 5 min to discuss it. He instantly dismissed the fact that it said I may have one blocked tube. I asked if he saw the scans and he said he doesn't look at them anymore and can tell by reading the results. He didn't think I had a blocked tube and I guess he was right because I'm expecting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Be proactive with your questions and on the procedures. Follow up constantly and when taking to dr Rosen, take notes. You might want to also be sure what choices and options you want to go down before you see him, if possible.
Dr. Rosen knew my name but I have only talked to him 3 times. I have never met my nurse but have had several calls with her. I mostly email with the admin. They seems scattered and disorganized and I often have to follow up with them to get results. Dr. Rosen is a sensitive doctor and you can tell he's good at it but it sometimes felt like he was desensitized and my case was not dissimilar to the next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
It felt like she was going through the motions and just talking to another patient. It felt rushed all the time and confused.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Billing and paperwork is a nightmare there. I sent my medical history over 3 times and they never got it. You can't get a hold of the billing department to get any questions answered.

2015, 6 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Review of
...I knew exactly what my options were, and what my personal treatment plan with projected outcomes would be. The whole procedure went exactly as planned. Dr. Tran even came back early from vacation to personally perform my retrieval. I am very glad I trusted him with my treatment and recommend him highly....Dr. Tran made me feel like a human because he thoughtfully and carefully talked me through the process and explained exactly my personal probability of success.
...It's [UCSF Fertility] academic reputation and proximity to my work made it very appealing. However, as great as my primary care team was, I was surprised by the disorganized and perfunctory way they look after patient cases. There were two times when an automated voicemail would say come in for a visit but then the personnel I was supposed to see thought we had a phone consult. It was rare that an appt started on time - usually I had to wait 15-20 min.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
I had an excellent experience with Dr. Tran. From the very beginning and throughout the treatment procedure, he was courteous, patient, and caring, and very respectful of my time and questions. I walked in freeling a little overwhelmed by all I had read on the Internet, and within 10 minutes after my ultrasound, I knew exactly what my options were, and what my personal treatment plan with projected outcomes would be. The whole procedure went exactly as planned. Dr. Tran even came back early from vacation to personally perform my retrieval. I am very glad I trusted him with my treatment and recommend him highly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at UCSF?
Try not to be anxious and take advantage of this time to pamper and take care of yourself. I also spoke with many friends who were either had frozen their eggs or were undergoing related treatments, and that sense of camaraderie and community was so helpful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Dr. Tran made me feel like a human because he thoughtfully and carefully talked me through the process and explained exactly my personal probability of success. He made sure all my questions were answered and that I was comfortable with my decision. I would recommend him to anyone seeking care.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I tracked all of this in a treatment diary spreadsheet and have the exact doses, dates, timing. At a high level: primed with Lupron 11 days, then Menopur, Omnitrope, Follostim for 13 days, then the hCG trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga Salamanca)
Olga is great. Throughout my experience, I found Olga very organized, responsive, and reliable. She even helped me run prescriptions through two pharmacies because I was mindful of out-of-pocket expenses. She has such a warm personality too, and balances friendly support with her clinical professionalism.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I saw Dr. Tran at UCSF. It's academic reputation and proximity to my work made it very appealing. However, as great as my primary care team was, I was surprised by the disorganized and perfunctory way they look after patient cases. There were two times when an automated voicemail would say come in for a visit but then the personnel I was supposed to see thought we had a phone consult. It was rare that an appt started on time - usually I had to wait 15-20 min. Plus the orientations and workshops they gave on treatments and medications mixed us egg freezers with IVF patients which was confusing and awkward at times given the differences in our situations and goals. Even the orientation binder was this overwhelming book of photocopies and admin paperwork not clearly organized with patient needs in mind. I think they get great volume but at times sacrifice the personal touch.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at UCSF.
My insurance covered some of the medications. My costs: $6655 procedure plus initial consult plus 5 years storage $2167 meds $763 anaesthesia $303 labs $60 vitamins, ovulation kit Total was around $9500
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
The appointment and scheduling needs work. Taking time away from work for an in office visit is already an inconvenience. I mentioned the two times when the automated voicemail said to come in when I could have had a 15-30 min phone call instead. Also there were a couple times when I was in the waiting area for 20-30 min and had to keep checking in so they'd remember to let me into see someone.
Nam Tran

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Review of
I think Doctor Tran was actually a great doctor. He was honest and upfront and compassionate. I felt I knew what to expect and I appreciated after both IVFs failed that he was honest about how we probably shouldn't bother to continue and waste money and go through the emotional trauma. My issues are mostly with the clinic and caseload and feeling like a number. He has since left UCSF so not too much to say...First, we added Omnitrope injections which can sometimes help with egg quality. Second, we did co-culture which can help with the division issue. Unfortunately, this actually seemed to hurt rather than help. We got 7 eggs, but only 4 were mature. 3 fertilized with ICSI and two of them made it to day 3, but they were of worse quality than our first cycle. Since they were too poor of quality to freeze we ended up transferring both. Again, negative pregnancy test.
We sat in the waiting room [at UCSF] for an hour and had to delay the transfer because they couldn't seem to find a room to put us in. Every 20 minutes or so I would ask but they would just tell me someone was coming to get me...the nurse we worked with on all our IUIs and IVF #1 tried to sign us up for IVF Orientation forgetting we'd already done it... my protocol said one thing and the voicemail they left said another regarding the trigger shot...our final phone appointment with the doctor, he never showed up. We had to call the after-hours line and have him paged. No explanation or apology for missing the appointment (and this was the appointment where he told us we probably shouldn't move forward with anymore ART)
How was your experience with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Be prepared to deal with UCSF.
With IVF there were frequent issues with mixing up my file with someone else's, forgetting to send me calendars for cycles, late to phone appointments, mistakes on my calendar (dosage says one thing in print, different in their voicemails). My good friend used the same doctor and nurses and had a very different experience so I think perhaps my expectations were too high. In her case they called her every afternoon with daily blood draw results, etc. In my case, I had to call them for that after not hearing from them. As a doctor in the room with you he and his staff are great, but logistically, I didn't feel like I was getting the care that the epic cost warrants. Doing IUI was even worse, they would wait too long to order the trigger shot and it would be hours of phone time fighting with insurance and the mail-order pharmacy to get the necessary shot mailed to me in time. Way too stressful.
Both IVF cycles I used the Demi-Halt Protocol which seems to be common for women with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. This means definitely no birth control pills, but instead doing 10 unit Lupron injections for a cycle, followed by stims in the next cycle. First IVF I was on 225 Follistim and 150 Menopur. Trigger shot was Pregnyl 10,000 units (I believe with another big dose of Follistim). After stims I was on Progesterone in Oil injections as well as Estrace. I got 6 eggs from that cycle. 5 were mature. They did Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) on all 5 and 4 of them fertilized. We went in for a day 3 transfer and were told that all our embryos stopped dividing except one and it wasn't great quality. We transferred the one and it failed. IVF was the same protocol except we added two things. First, we added Omnitrope injections which can sometimes help with egg quality. Second, we did co-culture which can help with the division issue. Unfortunately, this actually seemed to hurt rather than help. We got 7 eggs, but only 4 were mature. 3 fertilized with ICSI and two of them made it to day 3, but they were of worse quality than our first cycle. Since they were too poor of quality to freeze we ended up transferring both. Again, negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga was a lovely person and seemed like someone who is HYPER organized but just had too much going on. She'd forget to call me with results, forget to send me the calendar when we scheduled a phone call to review my calendar, and our second cycle seemed to forget we had already done a previous cycle with her (she tried to sign us up for the orientation class). This stuff really upset me because I wanted to feel cared for. I've been with my husband for 19 years and this was our last shot at trying to make a baby (and we delayed even trying because we wanted to get out of debt...this put us back into debt and I wanted to get the very best). Every nurse I met with for monitoring, retrievals, etc. was kind, patient and really wonderful. I just had issue with the logistical side.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: Beautiful new offices overlooking the bay in a GREAT facility that seems top-notch. Awesome doctors. Constantly researching. Great nurses who are lovely to deal with. Weaknesses: You're literally just a number and have to stay on top of your own care (make sure you call them for results, request materials that were promised, insure your meds are ordered). There are so many moving parts in IVF between the pharmacies, the insurance, the financing company, the doctors, etc I appreciate how many things they did get right, but I definitely have a bitter taste in my mouth when I think about the experience. I think they are just overwhelmed with cases.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at UCSF.
All my IUIs were covered by insurance so I just paid co-pays. For IVF nothing was covered, so we purchased a financing package through ARC both times. It was $12,216.98 for a one fresh cycle package (included a frozen cycle but we never got to use it). Then we paid out of pocket $2000 for ICSI. We did the same thing for cycle 2 paying an additional $850 for Embryo Co-Culture. We paid for all the medications out of pocket. Cycle two's meds were $3575. Cycle one was a little cheaper because some friends gave me their leftover medications AND I found some manufacturer coupons online. I can't remember the totals though.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I've noted these in previous questions but: -IUIs 1-3 the nurse didn't call my RX into the pharmacy and I had to pay out of pocket to get it locally in time and insurance wouldn't reimburse IVF #1: They never called with results after monitoring appointments. Took all day to get news after egg retrieval. IVf #1: Not thrilled that most of our embryos didn't survive and they didn't bother to tell us until we were there ready and excited for our transfer IVF #1: UCSF asserts that they are supportive of Eastern medicine practices like acupuncture if the patient wants and you can make arrangements to do this at the clinic. I called days before my transfer to make arrangements for having acupuncture before and after the transfer itself. We arrived over an hour before the transfer as instructed but they just had us wait. We sat in the waiting room for an hour and had to delay the transfer because they couldn't seem to find a room to put us in. Every 20 minutes or so I would ask but they would just tell me someone was coming to get me. The nurse then came out to take me to my transfer and I explained I'd be sitting there for an hour waiting to do acupuncture and I really wanted to do that first since it was our plan, and I was paying someone for their time. She was pretty annoyed about it. It was a lot of stress during a time that should NOT have been stressful. They ended up putting us in a freezing cold sterile room with bright lights (great for acupuncture and relaxing). -IVF #2 the nurse we worked with on all our IUIs and IVF #1 tried to sign us up for IVF Orientation forgetting we'd already done it. -IVF #2 the nurse dialed in for our phone appointment. The whole point of the appointment was to review the calendar but she had forgotten to send it to me and it wasn't actually ready so she had to reschedule -IVF #2 my protocol said one thing and the voicemail they left said another regarding the trigger shot IVF #2 our final phone appointment with the doctor, he never showed up. We had to call the after-hours line and have him paged. No explanation or apology for missing the appointment (and this was the appointment where he told us we probably shouldn't move forward with anymore ART)
Nam Tran

2005 - 2010, Unsuccessful
Investor
They discovered Dr Fujimoto had completely undiagnosed a uterine septum that was causing the losses I had the few times I was able to get pregnant through the treatments. He had diagnosed me with crappy eggs and never bothered to check the uterus!
They [UCSF Fertility] didn't diagnose my uterine septum for 2 years-- they just never looked there as they identified my issues as ovarian. Huge mistake that cost me two years of pain, emotional anguish, and lots and lots of money. [UCSF is] fine if you don't have any complications or a super hard case. challenge is you don't know if you are one until you try, so I don't recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
After nearly 2 years of grueling treatment with him, without success, he told me due to advanced ovarian aging (I was 29!) I wasn't ever going to be able to carry a pregnancy with my own eggs and should consider adoption or egg donor. Luckily I went and got a second opinion (at CCRM) and thankfully they insisted to retest everything as they discovered Dr Fujimoto had completely undiagnosed a uterine septum that was causing the losses I had the few times I was able to get pregnant through the treatments. He had diagnosed me with crappy eggs and never bothered to check the uterus! CCRM fixed the septum and despite my crappy eggs, I was able to get pregnant and keep the pregnancies, and now I have 2 kids.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
If you want great bedside manner, he is lovely. If you want/need anal, thorough, painfully detail oriented, I wouldn't recommend him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
His bedside manner was good-- very comforting and kind. That was not my problem with him.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did 3 injectable IUIs, 2 IVFs. 1 IVF resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Turns out I found out through another clinic after I left UCSF I had a uterine septum that meant all those treatments (time/money/pain) were for nothing and never would have worked until the septum was fixed (which the other clinic did in a simple outpatient surgery).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Fine if you don't have any complications or a super hard case. challenge is you don't know if you are one until you try, so I don't recommend this clinic.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
They didn't diagnose my uterine septum for 2 years-- they just never looked there as they identified my issues as ovarian. Huge mistake that cost me two years of pain, emotional anguish, and lots and lots of money.
San Francisco
I found Dr. Noel to be very kind and responsive, which was appreciated. I did feel that she formed her treatment plan for me relative to what has been statistically proven for patients my age with my diagnosis. This seemed great at first, but as cycles continued unsuccessfully I felt she was unwilling to pivot and provide me care based on my unique circumstances and condition. It was very frustrating...She responded timely to all my emails and addressed my concerns, although we disagreed on the correct course of action frequently. I did feel she was ultra-conservative in my treatment relative to friends and other women I have spoken to undergoing treatment for similar issues.
Letrozole and timed intercourse [protocol at UCSF]...$489 for ultrasound monitoring appointment...You will rarely see your actual doctor. This was surprising to me, however they do seem to be available over email (at least in my case). I would not necessarily take advice given by the sonographer as in my case it tended to go against what the doctor would have told me...I don't think you can necessarily rely on this clinic to personalize treatment to your specific conditions, so it best to ask for you want and need...Be your own advocate. Do your own research and come prepared with questions.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel was kind and nice to work with. She responded timely to all my emails and addressed my concerns, although we disagreed on the correct course of action frequently. I did feel she was ultra-conservative in my treatment relative to friends and other women I have spoken to undergoing treatment for similar issues.
Be your own advocate. Do your own research and come prepared with questions. I don't think you can necessarily rely on this clinic to personalize treatment to your specific conditions, so it best to ask for you want and need.
Letrozole and timed intercourse
No comments
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
$489 for ultrasound monitoring appointment
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Fujimoto is very knowledgeable and very experienced. He will tell you the truth and not sugarcoat it. If you present him with an option he is often willing to try it, but he tends to favor a very traditional and conservative approach...IUI w/ clomid; IUI w/ follistim; IUI w/ Menopur; IVF w/ Menopur; mini IVF w/ clomid...
UCSF is a big place, and they have a big program. It's easy to feel lost in the machine like environment that they create. If you have standard needs they will work for you. If you require more individualized care they are not the place for you...I had one cycle when there was a complete breakdown in communication from the doctor to the nursing staff and a cycle was canceled. It was very disappointing.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Be proactive, and research your options.
Dr. Fujimoto was very professional, and he seemed interested in me as an individual, but I felt that the treatment options that he tried were part of a standard set of treatments that were not particularly sensitive to what might have resulted in success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
There was one nurse practitioner who was quite competent and compassionate, the rest were pretty dismissive, and although they saw me many times over three years never bothered to learn my name or take an interest in me. One whose name I blocked out told me that I was wasting my time, and that I was never going to get pregnant with my own eggs. I told the doctor that she should never speak to me again.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I was covered through insurance so do not know the cost of care.

2013 - 2014, Unknown Success
Dr Rosen was much more thorough and thoughtful in reviewing my history before our first meeting. I felt like he actually had a sense of my various cycles and created a plan based on that history.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr Rosen was much more thorough and thoughtful in reviewing my history before our first meeting. I felt like he actually had a sense of my various cycles and created a plan based on that history (whereas with Dr Cedars, she seemed to just come up with stuff on the fly). I was pretty happy with him as a doctor. My main complaint was the way his care team is organized at the UCSF practice. Again, no one person took the lead on managing my case and that led to a critical error in the end--an error which should never happen to anyone.
You as the patient still really need to take responsibility for managing your case. The UCSF team is there to support you but they are not likely to be as dilligent as you would be. So you need to stay on top of your own course of treatment, schedule, timing of tests, prescriptions, etc etc. It's a pain but will likely lead to be a better outcome and fewer mistakes. Trust your gut!
Dr Rosen was very personable and I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind hanging out with him outside of the clinic. He was particularly a refreshing change after a year with Dr Cedars, whom I didn't really connect with on a human level.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Annie is great. Other person (forget her name) not as good. Still, you really have to harrass them sometimes to get much attention from them which is super annoying.
San Francisco

He [Dr. Victor Fujimoto] seems bored and tired and perhaps ready to retire. I don't sense passion in him as an IVF patient. As a patient I didn't feel fully confident in him or his explanations of what to expect going through the process. Having been through one cycle I realize how little he shares. I felt in the dark for months. ... Disappointed in the level of communication and indications of how to proceed in future.
Nice facility [UCSF], clean, organized, easy access from the freeway. ... There are so many people that it doesn't feel intimate or fit for purpose - it feels fit for volume of patients. ... Disappointed in the level of communication and indications of how to proceed in future. ... [nurses] Overworked likely due to the late emails and challenges getting on calendars and callbacks ... Challenge is all of the building going on in the area and construction makes it a bit of a hurdle to access.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
He seems bored and tired and perhaps ready to retire. I don't sense passion in him as an IVF patient. As a patient I didn't feel fully confident in him or his explanations of what to expect going through the process. Having been through one cycle I realize how little he shares. I felt in the dark for months.
advocate for yourself
Lack of personal touch, felt really like all that mattered was making my appointments, not how their communications or lack of communications are challenging when they have the care of people in their hands.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Nice facility, clean, organized, easy access from the freeway. Challenge is all of the building going on in the area and construction makes it a bit of a hurdle to access. There are so many people that it doesn't feel intimate or fit for purpose - it feels fit for volume of patients.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Poor organization. It was really a problem that I was not assigned one particular person on the staff. No one took responsibility for reviewing my records and keeping me on top of testing.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Like I said, she did not review my records before appointments and would mis-remember dates and other information, which seemed to me quite critical for the course of treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
See someone else in the practice. She is overloaded and will likely not give your case the attention it needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
The care team was very poorly organized. Dr Cedars did not always review my records before appointments, and on multiple occasions, made mistakes, including regarding my prescription dosage, timing of blood tests, etc.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had lots of problems with the UCSF Fertility practice: 1. wrong dosage on prescription given (which Dr Cedars later acknowledged and apologized for) 2. wrong dates given for post-cycle testing (expensive and creating a wasted cycle) 3. failure to test if I was _already_ pregnant before prescribing me a round of fertility drugs which are absolutely not meant for pregnant women 4. mistakenly canceled appointment with Dr Cedars with my rescheduling etc etc
Marcelle Cedars

2014, Successful
The doctor took time to explain procedures and understand our desired outcomes... At one point, based on information they provided after my procedure, there was question / concern that they may have implanted the wrong (some other patient's) embryos...
While the overall desired outcome was achieved, UCSF left much to be desired from an administrative standpoint. We also had one notable mishap that created unnecessary duress related to the embryo implantation... At one point, based on information they provided after my procedure, there was question / concern that they may have implanted the wrong (some other patient's) embryos.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Be willing to move to IVF faster as opposed to continuing with unsuccessful cycles of IUI
The doctor took time to explain procedures and understand our desired outcomes. He seemed to care that we felt comfortable and well informed.
Upbeat and professional
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
At one point, based on information they provided after my procedure, there was question / concern that they may have implanted the wrong (some other patient's) embryos. While this was cleared up swiftly, any doubt in this area is unacceptable. Billing and admin were a total disaster and I was over billed routinely / UCSF continually failed to submit to my insurance provider.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Under Dr. Cedars care, I only saw her twice, in her office - the very first time and then a requested follow up meeting (for an additional $130). She was never truly my doctor as she never saw me in the examining room - EVER! ... She didn't think I was a candidate for IVF. If I could do it over again, I'd skip the IUI, and go straight to IVF. ... The exact procedure Dr. Cedars recommended for me. ... if you're over 35, don't waste your time here.
UCSF are more interested in research and attending conferences then actually attending to patients. If you want personal care, don't go here. You will be a number and don't even get me started with their billing department. ... [Nurse] Ruthie - she always seemed "out to lunch" like this was always her first time or something. ... IUI costs range from $800-$1,000 a cycle. ... if you're over 35, don't waste your time here. ... and find a clinic that cares.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Cedars is a great face to the clinic but it seems she and UCSF are more interested in research and attending conferences then actually attending to patients. If you want personal care, don't go here. You will be a number and don't even get me started with their billing department.
If you need "light assistance" and don't have anything "wrong" with you - then go here, i.e. get prescribe clomid, otherwise, don't waste time, and find a clinic that cares. Also, if you're over 35, don't waste your time here.
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
IUI only. She didn't think I was a candidate for IVF. If I could do it over again, I'd skip the IUI, and go straight to IVF. And according to Resolve, women over 35 shouldn't waste their time with IUI's. The exact procedure Dr. Cedars recommended for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill )
Already did.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
IUI costs range from $800-$1,000 a cycle.
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Already did.
Marcelle Cedars

IUI With Other Docs
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making...Different people saw me each time and were not familiar with my situation or complications...Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing...You will see different people most visits. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.
You will see different people most visits [at UCSF]. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.... [there were] Miscommunications, delays in prescriptions and insurance authorization led to cancellation of a cycle.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making. Care team was disorganized and sometimes slow to respond, did not process requests, and mis communicated about my plan and communication.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Be proactive. Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Evelyn Mok-Lin
San Francisco

[Dr. Martha Noel] She answered all of my questions and is very nice and comforting during the initial consultation. I didn’t feel like I was an exclusive patient of hers. My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses...She suggested I start off with IUI. I did five cycles and all of them failed. We proceeded with ivf and egg retrieval with PGs testing of the embryos
[UCSF] Big clinic in a nice location. They were pretty much on time with my appointments and follow up. You have to pay for parking but I guess that’s normal for the city. The warriors stadium went in next door so expect traffic on game days...My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses...
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
She answered all of my questions and is very nice and comforting during the initial consultation. I didn’t feel like I was an exclusive patient of hers. My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses. I felt a lot of issues were missed
She’s fully capable of treatment and care, but see if you can request her for all of your procedures
This clinic sees a lot of patients and when I had a miscarriage, she didn’t know about it until a week later
She suggested I start off with IUI. I did five cycles and all of them failed. We proceeded with ivf and egg retrieval with PGs testing of the embryos. I did a fresh transfer and it failed. We were in the middle of going through another round when a different doctor found a hydrosalphinx and I required surgery to remove the tube. I was able to have a successful pregnancy and live birth after that. I feel like they missed hydrosalphinx and I wasted a year of my time and money on IUIs that didn’t work because of the hydrosalphinx.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Nursing staff was always nice