6.6
6.6

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

UCSF is a very busy clinic. It is a teaching hospital and therefore you do not always see the same doctor or nurse and it's rare to have your actual doctor perform your monitoring or retrieval....I was always in and out quickly. But every person there is wonderful. The front desk, the phlebotomists, the nurses - so kind hearted....UCSF is VERY adamant that their goal is a singleton birth. They give you a chart up front that shows age and issue and number they will transfer.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto is just the right combination (for me) of passionate and clinical. He took plenty of time to walk through all the options for us - as number of insurance cycles and age and timing were all of the essence. He had a number of suggestions for working around insurance which I thought was really keen of him to even discuss with us. His clinical approach is clear and concise. Every time I asked a question (why didn't I get my period, is my lining supposed to be that thick? what EXACTLY does it mean that you slowed down my medications) he answered it and did not rush, was not condescending and always followed up to ensure I really understood. He does not have what I would call a "delicate" bedside manner, but a warm pat on the leg and a smile and a let's get you a baby attitude when he leaves the room just always made me feel like he was totally on my team. Like a really great little league coach that you never forget. :)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Don't be discouraged if he talks over you. It might seem rude but it's not. He is just full of information and you can see it bubble over and he just wants to share his knowledge. Just be patient and repeat yourself. I said "hold on" a number of times and he was very receptive to that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
UCSF is a very busy clinic. It is a teaching hospital and therefore you do not always see the same doctor or nurse and it's rare to have your actual doctor perform your monitoring or retrieval. I got incredibly lucky and because of his on call schedule, Dr. Fujimoto ended up doing 3 of my monitoring appointments as well as my retrieval (therefore the question later on in this review re: the topic of how often I saw my doctor and did they perform the procedures should be taken into consideration - I got lucky).They run their clinic like clockwork. This can be a bit off putting if you were looking for a more personalized approach and can perhaps make you feel more like a "number". It worked for me because it is a highly emotional situation, and this approach made that easier for me to handle. It also is very great for work schedules, I was always in and out quickly. But every person there is wonderful. The front desk, the phlebotomists, the nurses - so kind hearted. Even with the busyness, I always felt like they aren't just treating a "fertility patient" - they taking care of ME and they SEE ME. They all truly show empathy and care with every interaction.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
OCP Antagonist Protocol 7/21: Cycle Day 2 - Eskyce (Birth control) 8/06: Cycle Day 17 - last active birth control pill 8/09: Baseline US 8/11: Gonal F 225, Menopur 2 vials (150 units) Continue all meds 8/15: First monitoring appointment. Reduced GF to 150 units 8/16: Start Centrotide before 11am, continue all other meds 8/21: Stopped all meds, HCG 5,000 trigger at 9:30pm 8/23: ER 19 eggs retrieved 14 fertilized 9 to PGS 1 PGS tested embryo waiting for FET October 2018. (My first cycle with a different doctor was less eggs and embryos, 2 fresh transferred that failed, and ultimately resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo frozen. Relatively same results, but who knows why those 2 fresh transfers failed.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Danielle, Anna, Someone else who covered)
Danielle is the first person I spoke to when I expressed wanting a new Doctor (who ended up being Dr. Fujimoto). She spent a good 20 mins on the phone with me to understand who I am and what doctor would be a good fit for me. She works in partnership with Anna, who I never met. The two of them seem very overworked but still organized, and there were some vacations and days off that seemed like someone was always covering for someone else. They always apologize for any slowness or confusion (there rarely was any, I didn't even have to call for help with medication once they sent in the order). Don't get me wrong - this was actually never a problem for me. I worried it would be. But I got all the info I needed when I needed it and they were very kind hearted.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I believe in teaching hospitals and think that is a strength in and of itself. If you are looking for someone to get super creative with how to make things happen for you, I'm not sure this is the right place but both of my protocols have been pretty "textbook" antagonist protocols, so hard for me to judge. It is not a boutique fertility clinic - understand that up front. It isn't a weakness, it just is what it is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I paid $0 because I'm very lucky to have great insurance (at a job I hate, but hey, beggars can't be choosers). Overall: $5k FET ER: $15k Meds - depends on where you get them filled. They offer "self pay" which he said was "better than military rates".
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
UCSF is VERY adamant that their goal is a singleton birth. They give you a chart up front that shows age and issue and number they will transfer. In my case, I have 2 PGS embryos and he was 100% willing to do both. (My last cycle with different doctor also transferred 2 fresh, which was their standard recommendation and also on the recommendation of the lab.)

2022, Successful
Dr. Segal made me feel much more comfortable about the whole thing. It was like talking to a friend that happened to be an expert in fertility...conversations never felt stuffy, disconnected, or judgmental - she was super supportive, compassionate, and kindly direct...The only bummer is that she wasn't a consistent contact point the entire way through. But this is less about her as a Dr., and more about the way UCSF operates.
when I felt some extreme pain during the process, the nurses and staff [at UCSF] took me seriously and aired on the side of caution - I never felt dismissed, brushed off, or like a nuisance...One thing to note is that their billing department is a real pain to work with...If I hadn't been asking questions up front (i.e - how do I perform the injections?), I wouldn't have known that I could get 1:1 training because nobody told me that was an option.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I really enjoyed having Dr. Segal as my fertility Dr. While this was a delicate, and somewhat nerve-racking decision and procedure to undergo, Dr. Segal made me feel much more comfortable about the whole thing. It was like talking to a friend that happened to be an expert in fertility. Since we were freezing embryos for fertility preservation, and are not choosing to get pregnant at this time, I can only speak for that portion of treatment - but we got great results and I didn't have any significant setbacks during the priming/ injection period. The only bummer is that she wasn't a consistent contact point the entire way through. But this is less about her as a Dr., and more about the way UCSF operates.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Be an advocate for yourself. Since you only meet with Dr. Segal once or twice prior to the actual treatment - you HAVE to put yourself in front of the support staff and message them with any questions. If I hadn't been asking questions up front (i.e - how do I perform the injections?), I wouldn't have known that I could get 1:1 training because nobody told me that was an option.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
What I really appreciated about Dr. Segal is that it felt like talking to a friend. Our conversations never felt stuffy, disconnected, or judgmental - she was super supportive, compassionate, and kindly direct. I was able to gather the information I needed, but also gained even more confidence with our plan to freeze embryos for fertility preservation than before we met with Dr. Segal. She took the time to get to know me as a person, and I really appreciated that. I also found the support staff to be very helpful along the way. I want to make particular note that when I felt some extreme pain during the process, the nurses and staff took me seriously and aired on the side of caution - I never felt dismissed, brushed off, or like a nuisance. This made a great impact on my experience as a whole, and helped me gain trust throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
2mg estrace to start, then menopur+ ganal for 4-5 days, then the addition of cetrocide for another 4ish days, then the trigger injections. (I might have this wrong - it was a whirlwind...)
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kali, Rae, Eugene)
Overall, the nursing staff was great - although some were more approachable than others (I enjoyed working with Kali and Rae for the regular correspondence). I never had a message or call go unreturned, and they were often quick with their responses. Since there wasn't much face time with the Dr., I think it would have been nice to have one main designated nurse, and one backup nurse, to allow for some form of consistency. Throughout the procedure, I never got to see them in the office, and at times would end up speaking with other nursing staff that I was unfamiliar with. That being said, everyone I saw for my in person check-ins (blood draws, ultrasounds) were always incredibly kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I went with UCSF as they were the best fit for our insurance, and a couple friends had also recommended them. They both had the same forewarnings: you won't have one consistent Dr, and you have to be your own advocate when it comes to billing and the overall logistics. That being said, I would definitely return to UCSF for any future treatments, as I felt that everyone there was very knowledgeable and I trusted turning my body over to them (which I can have a lot of barriers around). One thing to note is that their billing department is a real pain to work with. I kept receiving bills to pay hundreds of dollars, but when I called to question why I was receiving the bill (as it should have been covered by Progyny, they told me I didn't have to actually pay it.) I'm still not 100% confident that we're in the clear in terms of money owed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
Unknown at this time
Thalia Segal

2016 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Martha Noel] She was extremely collaborative with the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. She was very easy to talk to directly and helped to make it so I got to see when I came into the office. I also felt in-the-know and bought-into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical."
[UCSF is] Pretty easy to great appointments. Nice facility. Quite accessible in the city. Weaknesses were some of the nurses...[nurses] they got some information wrong when sharing our status with embryos, and they were not good communicators...When other doctors were recommending the typical program, Dr Noel got creative and suggested different mediations and process changes.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Noel was a joy to work with. She was compassionate, professional, thoughtful and extremely wise. She made it clear that she was in our corner and would do all that she could to help us succeed and help us manage a stressful situation. She was extremely collaborative with the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. She was very easy to talk to directly and helped to make it so I got to see when I came into the office. I also felt in-the-know and bought-into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical." When other doctors were recommending the typical program, Dr Noel got creative and suggested different mediations and process changes. Sure enough, it worked thanks to her great advice and we now have two absolutely beautiful girls!! Lastly, there were times where we had issues with the nursery. Dr Noel took great care with this, too. She took feedback and coached the nurses to make sure we were well taken care of. It was greatly appreciated. I can't recommend Dr Noel highly enough. She was a hero and we greatly appreciate all that she did for us. Frankly, even if it didn't work out, I would still be a fan b/c it was clear just how much she cared and how hard she worked!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
Definitely work wth Dr Noel if you can!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Noel was a joy to work with. She was compassionate, professional, thoughtful and extremely wise. She made it clear that she was in our corner and would do all that she could to help us and help us manage stressful situations. She was extremely collaborative w2ith the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. I also felt in-the-know and bought into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical."
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
We had some issue with the nurses -- they got some information wrong when sharing our status with embryos, and they were not good communicators (they acted like I should know how everything works even though I didn't).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr Noel was the best. Strongly recommend working with her. Pretty easy to great appointments. Nice facility. Quite accessible in the city. Weaknesses were some of the nurses. Would use them again if I needed to.
already wrote about it
San Francisco
Dr. Noel has a warm manner during consultations, offers good explanations and recommendations, while treating me like an intelligent partner. I'm not yet sure if she is adapting her treatment recommendations appropriately for me to get results, as I am still in the midst of treatment. Her coordinating staff and nurses, however, were always very rushed, and created additional stress in the process as they often seemed more focused on checking everything off their list than supporting me or providing information to me through the process.
I chose UCSF in large part because their donor egg program offered options that met my criteria - including some open donors (open to varying degrees to future contact with a child), and they seemed to follow relatively strong ethical practices in terms of the donor recruitment and screening. I was also attracted to their relatively strong outcomes data, and their research-based orientation. Their key weakness for me has been the support staff.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel seemed to pay close attention to my case, read my history thoroughly before my first visit, reviewed donor history in depth, and took the time to answer my many questions. She seemed to be well-informed about the latest research and thoughtful about how it applied to me. However, we have encountered some unexpected challenges in my case and it's too early to say whether she will be able to adapt her approach to those to get a successful pregnancy.
Ask to be in touch with her by email directly, as her coordinating staff is fairly unhelpful, and then reach out to her sparingly with key medical questions. She is responsive by email, but very briefly, so use that channel only to get information on a clear, specific question.
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Standard embryo transfer protocol: birth control pill for timing, Lupron, estradiol patches, and progesterone in oil shots in preparation for the transfer, with Medrol for a few days just before the transfer and Valium day of transfer. I responded well to the standard protocol, other than strong mood reactions to the birth control pill. UCSF's drug program is significantly discounted from other clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga, the nurse I worked with for two cycles, was extremely rushed every single time I spoke with her, and I grew to dread calls with her as I was always stressed after getting off of them. She shared unnecessary information that created additional stress, like telling me that there was going to be a lot of competition for transfer appointments in a certain timeframe. She also sometimes gave unclear instructions and was defensive about it when I asked for clarification on details (i.e. telling me to use estrogen patches at a certain time of day, and then when I asked a related question, telling me that she never told me that and giving a long explanation for how I couldn't possibly have heard what I heard). This same issue happened on both cycles, and I was careful in taking notes from our calls, so it was extremely frustrating to both have poor information and to then have her argue with me when I asked a non-confrontational question. Unlike a previous experience at another clinic, I never felt actual emotional support from the nursing staff at UCSF. When calling with a negative pregnancy test result, they clearly have been trained to say some of the right things, but it felt like a script. When I didn't want to schedule an embryo transfer for the day before one of my biggest work days of the year, and was feeling pressured by the nurse, she didn't show any understanding of my wanting to take my work commitments into consideration and by the end of the call, I was crying, frustrated, and anxious about the choices I'd made very quickly about scheduling such an important procedure. Thuy, Dr. Noel's coordinator, is a bit scattered and required a lot of follow-up to get my labs straight, as she would request labs she had received again, and fail to notice other missing labs. She also often seemed rushed, but was kind and responsive.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Strong preference for eSET but would have considered multiple embryo transfer after multiple unsuccessful cycles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had trouble getting all of my initial diagnostic lab results into my records. I had one phone appointment incorrectly cancelled.
San Francisco

The one thing about Dr. Cakmak that I think someone should know is that he can be a bit aggressive/stuck on his treatment plan. ... He does argue his points with me, but will give me the information and his opinion and will defer to my choices. ... We are in the middle of our second cycle and I would actually say I probably feel like more of a number now, oddly enough as I feel like we were sort of thrown into our second cycle with much less guidance and hand-holding.
Know that you will see whoever is on call for that day [UCSF], but it is your doctor who is going to be making the treatment plans and making the big decisions for you. ... about 5 days before the first monitoring appointment (when we'd have to pay), we got notice that to use our insurance, they were going to charge $32,000, and given that we had a lifetime max of $15,000 (and not taking into account we had already used some of that for the visits, ultrasounds, and meds), we would have to pay $17,000.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
The one thing about Dr. Cakmak that I think someone should know is that he can be a bit aggressive/stuck on his treatment plan. I am undecided so far if this is a good or bad thing. I typically see whoever is on call when coming in for my monitoring visits. Last year, they found fluid in the ultrasound that appeared to be in my right fallopian tube. This would have canceled the plans to complete a fresh transfer. Dr. Cakmak was not convinced that it was in my tube. At the retrieval, there was fluid in my uterus, on the right side. All indications that there likely was fluid in my right tube. He left it up to me, but we had so few embryos, I didn't want to risk doing a transfer with a potential hydrosalpinx. He ordered another HSG, and the report stated that the left tube was "clearly patent" and the right was "likely patent". To me, this was not a clear answer that the tubes were clear, but to him it was. We are in our second round gearing up for another retrieval, and I noticed the fluid again. We just saw him today, and he is still not convinced that it is in the tube. When we were going through it last year, we were so emotionally invested in it all going "well" and were so hard hit by any deviation from the plan, that it was comforting when he wanted to barge ahead and not deviate from the plan. But looking back, it seemed that all of the other doctors we saw on call were more hesitant and cautious than he is. I trust him as a physician. I know he knows his stuff and I have seen his published research and studies. However, this "gung ho-ness" (can't think of a better word, feel free to edit that if necessary :) ) is the thing that has made me consider switching physicians. Simply because I am not sure this is the best fit for me. However, knowing this, I have made an effort to be more knowledgeable about options and vocal about my choices for my treatment plan. He does argue his points with me, but will give me the information and his opinion and will defer to my choices.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
As discussed in the previous question: Do your research on your options, listen to his points and ask questions, but don't be afraid to advocate for your treatment choices. Be prepared for how rigid he can be in the treatment plan. As we learn when we start treatment, things change CONSTANTLY as there is no way of knowing what your body will do. Know your options, and be flexible, as in my experience, he is not as flexible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr. Cakmak sat at our first appointment and stated that he had reviewed all of my medical records, and I had sent over quite a few releases so that they may have all the info needed. He then verbally reviewed all of my info to verify that he had a good understanding of everything. He then gave his recommendations and why he thought each step was the one we needed to take. It wasn't until our failed cycle that I understood that the first IVF is kind of a crap-shoot because they have no way of knowing until then what your issues are or what kind of cycle you really need. We are in the middle of our second cycle and I would actually say I probably feel like more of a number now, oddly enough as I feel like we were sort of thrown into our second cycle with much less guidance and hand-holding. However, it is hard to say if this is because it is my second time around or if it is because my nurse resigned prior to me starting my second round, so the nurse I have now is a nurse for another doctor on staff.
Describe the protocols Hakan Cakmak used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
1 IVF: Antagonist, planned to be a fresh transfer. Can't remember the dosing, but I was on birth control in the prep month (and estrace? can't recall), then menopur, gonal F during the cycle, cetrotide to suppress, and had planned on using an HCG/Lupron trigger, but my estrogen levels indicated that I should not do the Lupron trigger, so it was just HCG. High number of eggs retrieved and my estrogen levels put me at risk for OHSS, but luckily did not develop this. Due to potential hydrosalpinx and low number of embryos at day 5, I elected to change it to a freeze-all. Then FET with 1 embryo (only one left on day 6 that was also euploid). 2. (current cycle) Long agonist (doctor decision based on poor quality embryos at last cycle--25 retrieved, 18 mature, 16 ferilized, 8 embryos on day 3, 4 on day 5, 2 made it to blastocyst on day 6, one euploid, one anuploid). 10 units Lupron during prep month. 150 Gonal F, 150 Menopur (decreased to 75 on last day of stims), 25 units Omnitrope (human growth hormaone- to address egg quality thought to be the reason fro poor embryo quality). I will be triggering tonight with 5000 HCG. Planned to be a fresh transfer (day 3 if not at blastocyst criteria, day 5 if they do meet blastocyst criteria), but I will request they look for fluid in my uterus at the egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Audra during my first cycle, Maria during my second)
I was glad to have an assigned nurse at this clinic. My first nurse was attentive and responsive. She had joked that she was a "stalker nurse" and would be calling me all the time, but really this was helpful and appreciated. She was a bit clinical during my miscarriage (not at all insensitive though). My second nurse is on loan from another doctor in the practice as Audra left. The day I called to say I wanted to get started and report my day one of the cycle, was her last day. My second nurse, Maria, has also been out of the office for parts of my cycle. When I have called her directly and emailed her, she has always called back or emailed and has let me know when she would be out of the office. I appreciate that she works later hours as it was frustrating trying to make sure I called Audra before 3 or 3:30 as she typically left for the day then and inevitably something would come up a 3:45. Maria has been friendly and personable. I generally have had no issue getting in touch with anyone on the care team. However, there was a day during this cycle that I had significant cramping throughout the day on a day I did not have to go to the clinic for monitoring. I was concerned that I was developing an issue, possibly ovarian torsion as it was localized to one side. I called the care team line as I knew Maria was out of the office and never received a call back. This was unusual as this had not happened before and of course happened on the day I was concerned about a serious side effect of the treatments.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I don't know if people can request certain doctors. I just called and was sent to the first available, I think, but it'd be worth it to ask and to check out all the doctors who have been reviewed to see who is a good fit for you. Know that you will see whoever is on call for that day, but it is your doctor who is going to be making the treatment plans and making the big decisions for you. I did not mind seeing other doctors. I felt like it gave me perspective about my own doctor. I was appreciative that my care was not passed off to a nurse practitioner like at other clinics. However, it may be important to others that you see your doctor at each visit, in which case another clinic may be a better fit. The billing department is a nightmare.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
My visits were covered. Follow-ups are free if you are on the self-pay. We initially went to this clinic due to insurance coveraage. The only clinics that were "in-network" for my insurance were in San Francisco. So we billed insurance for office visits and my water ultrasound. However, once we got ready for the cycle, about 5 days before the first monitoring appointment (when we'd have to pay), we got notice that to use our insurance, they were going to charge $32,000, and given that we had a lifetime max of $15,000 (and not taking into account we had already used some of that for the visits, ultrasounds, and meds), we would have to pay $17,000. Or we could chose the self-pay option, bill none to our insurance and pay $16,000. Insurance was the whole reason we went to this clinic, and in the end, it was cheaper not to use it. Our second cycle, when I informed my nurse we only had $4,500 left and we'd be using it for meds, she said we should utilize the 340B medication program. What Freedom pharmacy had charged my insurance $6000+ only cost me $250 through this program. She stated that we could then use the $4500 left on my cycle. I knew this was likely not the case, but I figured we could save that money for something else since I didn't like that Freedom wasn't transparent in what they were charging my insurance, so ordering through them with a limited amount of funds left meant I didn't have any way of knowing what I would be charged in overage after the $4500 was gone. Our first monitoring appointment was on a Saturday, and the billing department sent me a letter of financial obligation on Friday at 3PM. Turns out, I was right and we can't partial-bill, so there's no way to use that $4500 toward a cycle. They were gracious and understanding and are letting us pay at a later date rather than at the first monitoring appointment. We are still looking at about $16000 for a fresh transfer cycle with monitoring and egg retrieval. $4000 for a FET. Plus medications.
Describe Hakan Cakmak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
My doctor and the geneticist I met with at UCSF both really wanted me to implant one, but are allowing me to implant two. They educated me on the risks of implanting two and the risks of carrying twins.
Hakan Cakmak
San Francisco

[Dr. Huddleston] took the time to answer any questions we have. But I’m pretty sure she will not remember me if I were to speak with her today...never felt like she was rushing us out the door...set a plan for us in place that was easy to follow. I don’t think she made us do anything too extreme or unnecessary as she knew we were paying out of pocket...recommended that we keep trying naturally or can do an IUI...
It’s [UCSF] a huge clinic. Without the coordinator, one can get lost quite easily...expensive if you have to pay out of pocket...answer questions promptly thought email...able to book appointments quickly...[staff] made my husband wait while her “computer loads” so he can pay - while he was holding a specimen cup...had doctors tell me that this is a world class facility/doctors...But I’m still not pregnant yet...
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She answered any questions we had and stated that she has high hopes for us, but still no success yet. I never felt like she was rushing us out the door. She set a plan for us in place that was easy to follow. I don’t think she made us do anything too extreme or unnecessary as she knew we were paying out of pocket. I think she has good bedside manner and overall a good fertility doctor. I will continue to see her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
My advice would be to prepare any questions ahead of time - write them down.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Huddleston took the time to answer any questions we have. But I’m pretty sure she will not remember me if I were to speak with her today.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We first did a consultation. She then recommended my partner to do a sperm analysis and I do multiple labwork and hsg. We then had another consultation with her and she gave us the results. She recommended that we keep trying naturally or can do an IUI. A few months later, we tried our first cycle of IUI but it was negative. Then this covid thing happened and my partner and I decided to hold off for now. Huddleston never pushed any procedures on us and I really appreciate that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn)
I really like Huddleston’s staff. They answer questions promptly thought email. They are able to book appointments quickly. I never had any issues with the coordinating team. However, there was one lady who works front desk that both me and my partner do not like. Every time I get her, she has me standing 5-10 mins to check me in. Other front desk staff had me checked in within 1 minute. Another time, she made my husband wait while her “computer loads” so he can pay - while he was holding a specimen cup. Couldn’t we just pay after the drop off? Yes, it may be a policy issue but her slow pace work style didn’t help the situation.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It’s a huge clinic. Without the coordinator, one can get lost quite easily. It is also very expensive if you have to pay out of pocket as we do. I have had doctors tell me that this is a world class facility/doctors and it’s literally the best place to go for treatment. But I’m still not pregnant yet.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
$290 for each consultation/clinic visit, $29 for semen analysis, $1200+ for HSG, $1566 for the basic IUI package (ultrasound and insemination), bloodwork was covered by my insurance.
Heather Huddleston
San Francisco

Saw him [Dr. Mitch Rosen] once and all subsequent visits were with nurses and attending physicians...After my first cycle it was clear adjustments needed to be made, but I was told the next cycle would proceed exactly as before. It wasn't until after 2 cycles that a nurse called to get detailed feedback for her rounds with Dr Rosen and my treatment was adjusted for cycle 3...Switched to letrazole because Clomid caused thin uterine lining on cycle 1. Moving ultrasound up to day 9.
$2000 per cycle of IUI billed to my insurance. Breakdown not provided...Be aware that UCSF is a big hospital and doctors do not review results as frequently as they should...Needed to take care into my own hands, or else major mistakes would have been made: cycle 1 - was told no need to use OPKs, ended up using them anyway and found out I was ovulating naturally ahead of schedule, needed to move up insemination date. cycle 2 - unexpected business travel for husband meant we could miss our insemination window. Was told we can make last minute appointment in case timing worked out. Nurse did not realize / failed to tell me additional insurance approval was needed and was not requested for this cycle, ended up missing opportunity to do full IUI.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Saw him once and all subsequent visits were with nurses and attending physicians. My treatment was not adjusted until 2 cycles in.
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
IUI cycle 1: Clomid 50 mg for days 2-7, ultrasound on day 10, trigger shot on day 11, insemination planned for day 13 but moved up to day 12 because I observed LH surge on OPK test on day 11. IUI cycle 2: same as cycle 1. Cancelled ultrasound & insemination because of timing conflict with husband's work travel, still took Clomid + timed intercourse. IUI cycle 3 (in progress): Adjusted treatment based on result from cycle 1. Switched to letrazole because Clomid caused thin uterine lining on cycle 1. Moving ultrasound up to day 9.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Seems to be experienced and reputable, but I was prepared to be very involved in my own care going into it based on reviews I read - and I was right to do so because staff and nurses made erros. Is probably cheaper than private clinics but don't know for sure.
$2000 per cycle of IUI billed to my insurance. Breakdown not provided
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Communication between billing team and nurse = nonexistant. Nurse was not aware of my insurance pre-approval requirements which resulted in cancelled cycle. Also had trouble sending prescriptions to my insurer's pharmacy and required intervention from my end.
San Francisco

I felt that Dr.Cedars actively listened to our history and clearly had read over our records prior to the consultation. She explained her reasonings for the desired treatment plan in a way that I was able to understand. ... She had a calmness to her presence which was very important to us. ... Our treatment cycle consisted of Letrozole 5mg starting CD2 x 5 days.*We had previously done 3 IUIs with clomid
The office [UCSF] has separatewaiting areas depending on what procedure you're there fkr (u/s, specimen collection, IUI). The "checkout" process was sort of confusing having to back to the front desk staff anticipating they know what your next schedule will be. When paying for services (we decided to pay cash) they staff was somewhat unprepared to handle that process. They do not have a cash register and are unable to give change.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She had a calmness to her presence which was very important to us. When explaining her treatment plans, she provided credible sources (studies/journals) to further ensure us the information was up to date.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Be prepared to see other providers for most of the visits, who may not fully understand your specific case as well as Dr. Cedars. All questions which that require detailed responses she be directed to her nurses who can give direct messages to Dr. Cedars.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Our treatment cycle consisted of Letrozole 5mg starting CD2 x 5 days.*We had previously done 3 IUIs with clomid 100mg with our 1st clinic.* U/S follicle check on CD 12 showed 2 follicles; 21mm and 13mm. With a lining of 11.4mm. *We did not see Dr.Cedars at this visit* Was told to trigger shot the following night CD 13. And returned to clinic on CD14 for "specimen collection" and IUI. *We did not see Dr.Cedars for this procedure visit*
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill and Ruth)
Ruth was great with communication. She was very sweet each time we spoke, answered my questions quickly and even set up a call with Dr.Cedars when my questions were beyond her knowledge of advice.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Very clean and upscale/modern feels. The office has separatewaiting areas depending on what procedure you're there fkr (u/s, specimen collection, IUI). The "checkout" process was sort of confusing having to back to the front desk staff anticipating they know what your next schedule will be. When paying for services (we decided to pay cash) they staff was somewhat unprepared to handle that process. They do not have a cash register and are unable to give change.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Consult including u/s $250. The medication protocol at discount pharmacy was $30. The follicle scan, sperm wash and IUI - $1566.00
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We were not at the IVF stage yet. But when i did ask her approach to single vs multiple embryo transfer she advised that in for personal case that a single would be plenty as multiple can increase health risks for mom and baby(s)

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
It's disheartening when you have invested a ton of emotional energy -- not to mention money -- and the doctor and/or staff get things wrong or forget you have already completed steps. I know it's a busy clinic and that Dr. Cedars is a leader in her field, but when you're investing so many resources, you want to feel like people have taken time to look at your chart or to gather the correct information before meeting with you.
Everyone I encounter [at UCSF]is very nice. I work with Ruth, mainly. She can seem very overwhelmed, but she's always been responsive. It's hard to get her live on the phone, so it's a great deal of listening to each other's voicemails or reading messages in the portal....The actual clinic is in a very newly constructed, modern facility. Everything feels new and clean....It's disheartening when you have invested a ton of emotional energy -- not to mention money -- and the doctor and/or staff get things wrong or forget you have already completed steps.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She clearly knows what she's doing and her reputation precedes her. She sees so many patients -- like all fertility doctors -- so I don't expect a touchy feely connection with her, but it does feel like this is a transaction. There was another doctor I was interested in--outside of UCSF-- but I couldn't afford him, unfortunately.
Just know this is a very western, clinical, transactional experience, but you should be in good hands.
Right now, I'm just increasing estrogen intake and taking progesterone to force a period. We haven't moved into the actual IVF protocol yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ruth)
Everyone I encounter is very nice. I work with Ruth, mainly. She can seem very overwhelmed, but she's always been responsive. It's hard to get her live on the phone, so it's a great deal of listening to each other's voicemails or reading messages in the portal.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
A huge strength is that it's near my house. The previous clinic was in Irvine (I'm in the bay area). The actual clinic is in a very newly constructed, modern facility. Everything feels new and clean. I haven't done very much other than meet with Dr. Cedars and the care team, so I cannot speak to the treatment rooms as much. I will say that I would strongly advise against meeting with Dr. Laurie Pasch, the clinic psychologist, and meet with Dr. Holley instead.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
All in, to have donor eggs, using a known sperm donor (we froze his sperm at UCSF) and one transfer (no testing, no ICSI -- all of those costs are extra), it will be a little over $30,000.
San Francisco

Dr. Anaya is thoughtful and supportive. ... There have been several complications (discovery of Hashimoto's disease and a septate uterus) and poor outcomes to procedures ... Whenever I expressed concern or doubt about the route we were taking, Dr. Anaya explains all the options, the pros and cons of the options, and the studies/or lack of studies supporting it. She is detailed and blunt but done in a compassionate and caring way.
I think they need a more robust financial advisor program. Due to some unclear instructions on both the part of UCSF and our insurance company we blew $12K (out of only $20K) on IVF medication. We were not informed of UCSF's community program with Walgreens until our second round. ... Instead we spent ~$18,000 out of pocket. ... The entire care team including the phlebotomists and rotating fellows are all kind and friendly.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Dr. Anaya is thoughtful and supportive. My IVF journey has been a very twisted path. There have been several complications (discovery of Hashimoto's disease and a septate uterus) and poor outcomes to procedures (first IVF we retrieved 32 eggs but only 1 passed PGS testing). Whenever I expressed concern or doubt about the route we were taking, Dr. Anaya explains all the options, the pros and cons of the options, and the studies/or lack of studies supporting it. She is detailed and blunt but done in a compassionate and caring way. She understands its a hard road and practices patience with patients. However, she is very busy and splits her time between two clinics. Sometimes she is not available when you wish she was. But if you ask to talk to her, the care team always gets in contact with her and schedules a time for you. When you are talking to Dr. Anaya, you have her full attention and she never rushes a conversation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
The one piece of advice I would give a prospective patient is to speak up, ask questions and advocate for yourself. However, I would probably give this advice to anyone talking to any medical provider.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
UCSF is a HUGE clinic, if you aren't careful you may feel like a number. But the desk staff, nurses, and Dr, Anaya all try very hard to make each interaction as informative, thorough, and reassuring as possible. You may need to use the messaging portal to ask questions to your nurse. Or ask the nurse if you can set up a call with Dr. Anaya. But as long as you advocate for what you need, Dr. Anaya and her care team will be responsive and compassionate in taking you through the very long IVF journey!
Describe the protocols Yanett Anaya used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
IUI #1 = Clomid, 2 folicles, no pregnancy IUI #2 = Clomid, 4 folicles, no pregnancy IUI #3 = Letrozole, 2 folicles, no pregnancy - switched to see if outcome would change IVF retrieval #1 = BC primer, 150 menopur, 225 gonal-F, later added ganerelix, used lupron during trigger shot ==&gt; resulted in 32 eggs retrieved, 24 fertilized, 17 Day 3 embryos, 6 blastocyst sent to PGS testing, ONLY ONE NORMAL My husband, myself, and Dr. Anaya were all disappointed. We talked about doing another IVF round with the same protocol or with a changed protocol. I pushed for a more mild protocol and Dr. Anaya worked with me. IVF retrieval #2 = Estrace & lupron injection primer, 150 menopur, 150 gonal-F, stimed longer, used an HCG trigger ==&gt; resulted in 33 eggs retrieved, 24 fertilized, 17 Day 3 embryos, 6 blastocyst sent to PGS testing, 4 tested normal FET #1 = First embryo died in thawing process; Estrace patches (1,1,2,4,4,3,2,1) and progesterone injections, 1 embryo transferred ==&gt; no pregnancy UCSF and Dr. Anaya prefer playing it conservatively, only transferring 1 embryo at a time. I agree and prefer this approach. Three embryos remaining and I am currently doing an ERA test. Story is to be continued
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: first 9 months Gianna, now Cheryl)
The entire care team including the phlebotomists and rotating fellows are all kind and friendly. Some are more knowledgeable than others, but if a person doesn't know the answer to a question they will go look for the answer for you.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a HUGE clinic. They have a lot of patients and a lot of staff. Sometimes it takes minute to find the right person to talk to via phone or email, but someone always answers questions within a 12 to 48 hour window. And when interacting with me everyone is friendly and compassionate. I think they need a more robust financial advisor program. Due to some unclear instructions on both the part of UCSF and our insurance company we blew $12K (out of only $20K) on IVF medication. We were not informed of UCSF's community program with Walgreens until our second round.
Describe Yanett Anaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
UCSF and Dr. Anaya prefer playing it conservatively, only transferring 1 embryo at a time. I agree and prefer this approach. I think this is particularly a good approach for my situation, no previous pregnancies (even in miscarriage) and 35+.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I think they need a more robust financial advisor program. Due to some unclear instructions on both the part of UCSF and our insurance company we blew $12K (out of only $20K) on IVF medication. We were not informed of UCSF's community program with Walgreens until our second round. If the program had been communicated appropriately and we were advised to self pay medications, we would have enough money left to have covered both rounds of IVF retrieval. Instead we spent ~$18,000 out of pocket.
Yanett Anaya
San Francisco

When I actually got to see or talk to Dr. Noel, I very much felt treated like a human.... Overall I feel very positiely towards Dr. Noel. My treatment with her was interrupted because she went out on maternity leave for a few months, and the few other doctors I saw in her absence really did not compare.... I wish she were more accessible (I was never allowed to email her and had to always go through her assistant, which I felt led to needless delays and games of telephone and misinformation)
It seems fairly difficult to get access to your doctor at this clinic, and you never see your doctor for the actual IUIs, and rarely for the ultrasounds checking follicle counts during IUI process. I'm very confident in the lab and the state of the art medical procedures, instruments, and capabilities at this office... During one of my IUI cycles, which I had already started, UCSF sent me a message informing me that the next time I came to the office I owed them $3000
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Overall I feel very positiely towards Dr. Noel. My treatment with her was interrupted because she went out on maternity leave for a few months, and the few other doctors I saw in her absence really did not compare. Her approachability and ability to explain what's going on in a kind, clear way are great. I wish she were more accessible (I was never allowed to email her and had to always go through her assistant, which I felt led to needless delays and games of telephone and misinformation), but that was my biggest complaint.
Beware her scheduling assistant. Nice, but not exactly competent. If receiving panicked emergency calls about forms not being in order right before your first IUI will upset you (as it did me), you might be best off avoiding Dr. Noel because you're stuck with the coordinator she has.
When I actually got to see or talk to Dr. Noel, I very much felt treated like a human. I think she has a great bedside manner, and is exactly the right amount of direct and clear but also gentle and supportive. She seems to know her stuff, and I liked working with her. Her scheduling coordinator was unfortunately a big impediment, mixing up appointments, getting the wrong information, being slow to reply, and acted as a strong buffer / blockage between us and Dr. Noel, which put a big negative on the experience.
Letrozol + ovidrel -- we increased the letrozol in the 3rd and 4th IUIs resulting in 2 mature eggs instead of one. no success with IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga was good. After a rough start initially (lacking some bedside manner / awareness of our case's history), I came to really like her and found her quite accessible and helpful.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It seems fairly difficult to get access to your doctor at this clinic, and you never see your doctor for the actual IUIs, and rarely for the ultrasounds checking follicle counts during IUI process. I'm very confident in the lab and the state of the art medical procedures, instruments, and capabilities at this office, and that was enough for me to want to be and remain a patient there. The main weakness was a real lack of access to the doctor (it's strange to me that it was not possible to send an email to the doctor - it's not like I was expecting to get her cell number or her address, sheesh), and the extent to which the scheduling person really controls things. I assume that's very hit or miss, and in the case of Dr. Noel's person, it's a big MISS. Really too bad because I think she's excellent, but I'd consider choosing a different doctor to avoid the scheduling nightmares and unreliable ability to track documents and checklists.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
The IUI cost changed during my second cycle (described earlier) and during my 3rd/4th I was on new insurance that covered my treatment so I only had $20 copays. Unfortunately I dont remember more except that I believe initially IUIs were about $900 out of pocket, and skyrocketed to $2700 or $3000 (which I never paid because I protested them raising the price when I was literally already in the middle of treatment).
for our age at least (early 30s), UCSF seems pretty adament about eSET only, no multiples transfer
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
During one of my IUI cycles, which I had already started, UCSF sent me a message informing me that the next time I came to the office I owed them $3000 (or thereabouts) because that was the new price of IUIs. I had bad insurance at the time so I was all out of pocket. I had to spend hours writing emails and on the phone fighting them over changing the price MID CYCLE and even 8 months later they were still trying to charge me for a higher rate than I actually owed them. Some people in the billing office are very good, and the rest are incompetent at best.
San Francisco

I think that he appropriately met me where I was--I come from a medical background and wanted to discuss data and details, which is what we did....Dr. Fujimoto was knowledgeable about the process though, and even went the extra mile to print off a recent study from a journal to show me more concrete examples of conception data in my demographic group.... Subsequently, I felt like my access to him was slightly guarded through his gatekeeper/assistant, who would forward my emails to her on to him.
The clinic [UCSF] is pretty great--in a fairly new building that has other things in it like a restaurant. I don't know why, but somehow it made me feel better that I didn't have to walk into some sort of clinic labeled from the outside INFERTILITY in giant red letters. It felt nice to go somewhere that felt more private, but still spacious and nice. The lobby is nice. I also appreciate that there are dedicated financial coordinators who email you.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
We met on my first visit with my wife present so we could start talking about what it would take for us to start a family. I come from a medical background, but a totally different field, so I knew some things, but still needed a good amount of background information and anticipatory guidance. He sat down with both of us, which I appreciated, and laid out what we could expect. He explained the blood work we'd need and the potential ancillary testing. I did feel a bit pressured to get an HSG and the genetic testing, even though neither was something I really wanted. I think it was around that point that I felt like he perhaps saw me more as a woman with infertility than a young lesbian with her wife trying to start a family. At the time, I had no such diagnosis, and had never had any sort of blood work to suggest infertility, so I was a bit taken aback when the ICD9 code associated with the visit was for Anovulatory Infertility. Later down the road, that changed, but it wasn't something that was known at the time of our initial encounter. Dr. Fujimoto was knowledgeable about the process though, and even went the extra mile to print off a recent study from a journal to show me more concrete examples of conception data in my demographic group. I remember him saying "My concern isn't getting your pregnant, it's not getting you TOO pregnant". Subsequently, I felt like my access to him was slightly guarded through his gatekeeper/assistant, who would forward my emails to her on to him.
Come in with a list of questions in advance--when directly approached, he is direct in response.
I think that he appropriately met me where I was--I come from a medical background and wanted to discuss data and details, which is what we did. I may have projected more confidence than I had because I was nervous, but there wasn't much in the way of assessing me/my wife's psychological state of being, other than mentioning there was a therapist on staff.
I had an elevated Anti-Muellerian Hormone and a history of irregularity, so we went with Clomid for our IUI. I took 5 days of 50mg Clomid each night (CD2-CD6). Then on CD10 I had a transvaginal ultrasound, but my dominant follicles were still too small. So we are planning for a repeat on CD13 with a tentative plan of doing a trigger HCG injection (Ovidrel) prior to IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Danielle was actually super helpful during the process. She was our primary contact point as we figured a lot of things out for ourselves. We had some back and forth on whether or not to use a known donor or a sperm bank, and she explored both of those options with us. She was very responsive via email and gave quick responses. Every time there was a new hoop in my care to jump through, she helped to delineate it and help us through it.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic is pretty great--in a fairly new building that has other things in it like a restaurant. I don't know why, but somehow it made me feel better that I didn't have to walk into some sort of clinic labeled from the outside INFERTILITY in giant red letters. It felt nice to go somewhere that felt more private, but still spacious and nice. The lobby is nice. I also appreciate that there are dedicated financial coordinators who email you. They are a little bit hard to get an immediate response to, but at least I didn't feel like there were surprises in this (very expensive) process. The rooms were always very clean, and there was a quick turnaround from check-in until the time that I was seen. The Nurse Practitioner led class on IUI and injectables was very helpful as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
The bloodwork bill that my insurance generated for the preliminary tests (CBC, HIV, RPR, Rubella, GTT, Prolactin, FSH, Estrogen, Testosterone, Free Testosterone, Estrone, Blood type, Insulin, Glucose, LFTs, Hgb A1C, CRP, Cholesterol pannel, VZV, Androstenedione, SHBG, AMH, Estradiol, TSH) was about $6,100 plus about $300 of doctor/lab worker fees. The IUI Package was $1566 plus an additional $288 thaw fee. Each sperm vial from the sperm bank was $795. The Clomid and Ovidrel were both partially covered by my insurance, so I paid something to the tune of $40 total.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Rosen has been very involved in our process. At times, it feels like it takes awhile to get a response to questions, but it's because the staff waits for his answer or because he personally calls us to respond...Up front, if you want a doctor who will literally hold your hand throughout the process, this isn't going to happen. If you want a candid and honest approach about your fertility chances and the process, then Dr. Rosen will do this... I think he does get uncomfortable if you cry, so be prepared.
It is a busy clinic [UCSF], so IUI's are often performed by a NP, unless you specifically request a doctor perform them. You are also not likely to have your doctor perform all your procedures, if at all...he hardest thing dealing with UCSF is communicating with the care team and your doctor. It's a busy clinic, so, you have to wait for someone to call you back if you wish to speak to a live person...They failed to provide the Day 1 fertilization report and had to chase them down the next day. They also keep trying to put me with NP's even though my chart says "attending only"
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Up front, if you want a doctor who will literally hold your hand throughout the process, this isn't going to happen. If you want a candid and honest approach about your fertility chances and the process, then Dr. Rosen will do this. While I personally understood conversations and meetings, I know my spouse would sometimes be confused or have questions later on. Admittedly, it is probably very different being the one who actually goes through all the procedures versus just having to hear it as the spouse. However, Dr. Rosen took the time to go back and walk through everything and the future steps to make sure we were all on the same page. One frustrating thing, is that Dr. Rosen will not go into a whole of details if something doesn't succeed, as in, will you have to deal with X or Y. He will tell you that oftentimes, or at least in my case, there's too many variables to predict what course of action will be most effective or recommended. There have been a few bumps in the road here and there, but we've managed to work through them. Dr. Rosen does understand that ultimately, as the one going through both the physical and mental anxiety of the process, ultimately, you should do what feels best for you.
Don't expect a touchy-feely type doctor. Be ready for a matter of fact approach and demeanor. I think he does get uncomfortable if you cry, so be prepared. But I do think he does feel for his patients and does try his hardest to get you pregnant.
It was more of a number feeling when we were going through the IUI's. However, since we had an extremely long process to even get to that stage and given post-surgery complications, Dr. Rosen has been very involved in our process. At times, it feels like it takes awhile to get a response to questions, but it's because the staff waits for his answer or because he personally calls us to respond.
Since I have DOR, we were put onto the estrogen protocol. The first cycle I produced 7 follicles, which was good given my situation. Five eggs were mature and two fertilized but did not make it to blast. The second cycle was a bit random because it came on the heels of a hysteroscopy. I actually produced 11 follicles, but only 2 fertilized among the ones retrieved. He changed the protocol to a clomid flare, which produced the most follicles to date and most eggs retrieved. 15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, and again, only 2 fertilized. It was very devastating. The last four were frozen at day 3. If we do another retrieval, there will be a change to the protocol to try and address the low fertilization rates.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
The hardest thing dealing with UCSF is communicating with the care team and your doctor. It's a busy clinic, so, you have to wait for someone to call you back if you wish to speak to a live person. That being said, I feel that my nurse and Dr. Rosen's assistant does always try and make an attempt to get back to you that day, or at the latest, within a business day. But, I almost always get a respond that day (unless we're at the close of business).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It is a busy clinic, so IUI's are often performed by a NP, unless you specifically request a doctor perform them. You are also not likely to have your doctor perform all your procedures, if at all. If you want a very personalized experience, you're probably best going to a smaller, private clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
You get a discount if you self-pay your IVF cycles. Medicines are separate. If your insurance does not cover certain procedures you must pay OOP.
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
No comment since we're not there yet.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
He's not pushy at all and tries to start with the least invasive approach to help you...Dr. Rosen can be a little quirky. He's also director of the lab and can geek out over scientific methods, evidence, etc...Dr. Rosen knows what he is doing and I trust him. Our fertility process is still ongoing and has been extremely difficult, but Dr. Rosen has been very helpful along the way...he showed a lot of compassion during our initial consultation and made sure we felt like we were in good hands.
UCSF is a highly regarded and well-respected provider in the Bay Area...They are always well-organized and on top of things. As mentioned earlier, because UCSF is a teaching hospital, they only believe in evidence-based medicine. This isn't necessarily a con, except if you want to try "non-conventional methods" to boost your fertility/pregnancy experience, i.e. acupuncture, traditional chinese medicine, vitamins, etc. Again, it's based on your patient philosophy and what you're looking for in a provider.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen knows what he is doing and I trust him. Our fertility process is still ongoing and has been extremely difficult, but Dr. Rosen has been very helpful along the way. He's not pushy at all and tries to start with the least invasive approach to help you. I recently had a miscarriage (from natural conception) and it's taken a huge emotional toll on me. Instead of rushing me to IVF, Dr. Rosen recommended that I take a break, get back on my feet, and then call him to proceed with IVF. Part of me wants to rush into things, but part of me is secretly thanking him for telling me to pause and recover first.
Dr. Rosen can be a little quirky. He's also director of the lab and can geek out over scientific methods, evidence, etc.. If that's not your cup of tea, then you might want to look for another provider. Also, keep in mind that as a teaching hospital, UCSF only practices evidence-based medicine. So some patients may perceive them as being too conservative or not risky enough (for example, they're not too enthusiastic about combining fertility treatments with eastern medicine). It depends on the type of provider you want.
Dr. Rosen is a good guy. I remember he showed a lot of compassion during our initial consultation and made sure we felt like we were in good hands. I walked away from our initial meeting with a great impression of UCSF.
We started with 3 rounds of IUI (first two with clomid, last with injectables). Dr. Rosen wanted us to start with the least invasive procedure first and see how it goes. I didn't react well to the clomid, so we upped the treatment to injectables during the 3rd round (which led to a much higher number of mature follicles). Sadly, the IUIs didn't work out. For our future treatment plan, we will increase the amount of injectables (basically do IVF). If &lt;3 follicles mature, then we will do IUI. If &gt;3 follicles mature, we will do IVF. Please wish us luck.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Jenniches)
I love Dr. Rosen's care team. Every one of them is well organized and compassionate. Annie Brunelli is the coordinator and can help you schedule appointments, place orders for lab tests, etc.. She always has a cheery voice on the other end of the phone. I love everyone of the nurses on Dr. Rosen's care team - Stephanie Jenniches, Elizabeth Gomes, Katrina (don't know her last name!)...they are all wonderful. Liz sounds like your fertility best friend and is always friendly and warm. Both Stephanie and Katrina handled my miscarriage (and subsequent manual uterine aspiration procedure) extremely well. They were professional, showed empathy, and really cared about my health. They are all amazing.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a highly regarded and well-respected provider in the Bay Area. I haven't tried other fertility clinics, but from what I know, they also charge reasonable rates (if you can call fertility rates reasonable) compared to the other clinics. They are always well-organized and on top of things. As mentioned earlier, because UCSF is a teaching hospital, they only believe in evidence-based medicine. This isn't necessarily a con, except if you want to try "non-conventional methods" to boost your fertility/pregnancy experience, i.e. acupuncture, traditional chinese medicine, vitamins, etc. Again, it's based on your patient philosophy and what you're looking for in a provider.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
We wanted to understand the cause of our miscarriage, so we sent our tissue in for genetic testing (based on UCSF's recommendation). The test results came back as inconclusive. I later found out this was a "common result" and wish someone had warned me prior to making this choice (the bill for genetic testing was $6,600 so it's an expensive choice!). Failing to send my prescription orders to the pharmacy - this happened once. It wasn't a big deal and I was able to pick up my prescription in time so I wasn't upset about this.
San Francisco

1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Rosen was straightforward but showed compassion. He is incredibly busy but made sure that he responded to me. Sometimes a nurse wouldn't get back to me and I would message him. He was always responsive and ensured I was heard. Also, when I suffered OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome) unexpectedly, he helped me make the appointment to drain the fluids free of charge. Working with Dr. Rosen made me feel cared for.
Liz [a nurse at UCSF] was very nurturing and caring! She was not always there, however, so I think that came off as lack of communication. Dr. Rosen was the constant there in terms of having a constant. Liz is a very sweet woman and patient. One nurse who drew my blood stands out as terrible. I may have been dehydrated and needed water. Instead, she jabbed the needle in my arm probably five times, hurting me incredibly. They need to ensure more training when it comes to this!
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
I would say to communicate very directly and just follow up if you don't hear a response right away as he is a very busy person. He is more on the straightforward side than the "nurturing" side.
Dr. Rosen understood the "fragile" circumstances as I was delaying chemotherapy to be able to do IVF. He treated me and my husband well, answering questions patiently and even drawing out information to help us understand what we could expect.
I think my situation was quite standard, or at least standard for a cancer patient. He spelled out exactly what the timeline would be. The nurse, Liz Gomes, was the one who walked me and my husband through the injections and how to ensure best success. I went into UCSF every morning for those two weeks to get my blood tested. I underwent an ultrasound every other day. One thing that did get lost a bit in translation was during the last couple of days. I was unclear when exactly retrieval would be. Overall, the situation was a success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth "Liz" Gomes)
Liz was very nurturing and caring! She was not always there, however, so I think that came off as lack of communication. Dr. Rosen was the constant there in terms of having a constant. Liz is a very sweet woman and patient. One nurse who drew my blood stands out as terrible. I may have been dehydrated and needed water. Instead, she jabbed the needle in my arm probably five times, hurting me incredibly. They need to ensure more training when it comes to this!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
STRENGTHS: good doctor experience, very caring nurse, has a nice way of making patients feel taken care of (maybe especially patients who are there because of cancer, etc.) WEAKNESSES: In the previous answer I described the biggest weakness: the nurse who stabbed me what felt like a dozen times! Lack of caring, compassion, and understanding. Another is one I outlined about communication. Some of the nurses are not there every day so that should be communicated. Patients will then be able to contact more than one nurse and ensure a response.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
Not quite sure, maybe $15,000-$20,000?
San Francisco
She is was very compassionate, understanding, patient, and responsive . She was very responsive in to all our questions. She was very helpful giving info on various studies, and making sure we were coming connects to anyone else in the UCSF administration we needed to for the various departments...Demihalt protocol , with omnitrope to help increase number of follicles being stimulated
Molly Dunn made mistakes with our day 5 blasts slated to be tested. We were instructed that the protocol would be we would get a call from the genetic counselor with the day 5 results and then our embryos would be sent to be Pgs tested. We never received a call, were anxious and had to call multiple people at UCSF to relay our message to the genetic counselor to please call us with the results. When we finally reached her she informed she had sent our embryos to the lab . She did not call me, the patient and person she was supposed to contact. She called my husband with this news. She did not wait for our approval to send the blasts. We had not yet given instructions if these blast biopsies were to be tested right away or wait to be beach tested with additional blasts from a future cycle. She took it upon herself to make that decision for us , for no reason except her incompetence .
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Be honest, ask her any question you want about ivf, you will get great responses and feel well informed about your care
She listened to me and what my concerns were before giving any suggestions for further treatment . She sympathized with my emotions and took them into account during our consultations
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona gurkan)
Current nurse Teona gurkan is great. There seems to be high turnover though and I've had two other nurses on the first cycle with dr cedars and three nurses with my other dr 's 3 cycles
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths- certain doctors like Dr cedars are really great, personable , make the process a little easier to get thru. Some of the admin staff though are a challenge to work with . One nurse was inconsistent , gave contradictory info from past nurses and could not explain why the differences, was not helpful in answering questions and did not give clear calendars. One cycle she gave me 3-4 versions because she had to keep fixing items. The genetic counselor Molly Dunn was incompetent and rude. She was incentive and careless and gave us the wrong info, initially telling us we had 3 Pgs normal embryos when the reality was our 3 embryos were aneuploidy. She corrected herself but did not even apologize acknowledging how hurtful her mistake was. She refused to schedule a call with us to discuss results and only sent emails . She argued with me on the phone when trying to explain herself.
San Francisco

We got pregnant on the first try. But I would not attribute this to Fujimoto, rather the other people and the clinic. He was a little checked-out. But friendly. I think we saw him twice, but had probably 7 or 8 different visits. I found the residents to be FAR better than him...Fujimoto often forgot basic facts of my profile, e.g. during an exam (i.e. when I was on the table, legs wide open!) he asked me if I had been pregnant before, something we had reviewed twice before. Fujimoto also explained "next steps" to us that we had already completed. Fujimoto also asked us to fill out paperwork already filled out twice.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly to the nurses [at UCSF] and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth... I think we saw him [Dr. Victor Fujimoto] twice, but had probably 7 or 8 different visits. I found the residents to be FAR better than him.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Sure, use him, but don't expect much from him. You will get the value and interaction with residents and nurses.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly to the nurses and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The results were great. Pregnant on the first try with the first transfer. You can't argue with that. (Also, note, not using own eggs, so statistically we were highly likely.)
Strongly advocated for single transfer, which is what we wanted anyway.

2022, Successful
We came in knowing very little and he [Dr. Paolo Rinaudo] took the time to explain and made sure we understood the process also gave us options. He was a very nice dr whom showed he cared and wanted us to walk out understanding the process...He suggested single If multiple embryos we can freeze and try one at a time... Was also very warm and caring. He walked us through the whole process and steps.
The [UCSF] front office is great very nice, his nurse however was rude not nice at all. After the first consultation they make sure to send you what you need to do next thru the portal and you can call the front office for any questions very organized professional and nice...We have just begun our process. We paid 440$ for the first initial consultation which included the ultrasound. It is very pricey but if that is what it takes for us to start our own family it is worth it.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
We came in knowing very little and he took the time to explain and made sure we understood the process also gave us options. He was a very nice dr whom showed he cared and wanted us to walk out understanding the process
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Write down all your questions because he is very good at explaining
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt like a human because he took the time to explain the procedure and what to expect and was very patient and thorough with his explanations. Was also very warm and caring. He walked us through the whole process and steps.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We had a consultation along with an ultrasound and he explained our options and explained the ultrasound results very thoroughly
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
She was rude and made us feel uncomfortable but the dr was great She was rude , and didn’t answer our questions and did not answer in comments Maybe she was having a bad day.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The front office is great very nice, his nurse however was rude not nice at all. After the first consultation they make sure to send you what you need to do next thru the portal and you can call the front office for any questions very organized professional and nice
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
He suggested single If multiple embryos we can freeze and try one at a time
San Francisco

The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she [Dr. Heather Huddleston] gave me a clear path...For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected...She spoke from the heart and gave experiences of her own. She asked the right questions...I was pregnant on my very first IUI so when I went back to UCSF to try for #2, I met with Dr. Huddleston. She had more availability than Dr. Rosen at the time. She recommended 3 IUI cycles since she felt I could get pregnant but rather it was a timing issue of the egg meeting the sperm. After 3 cycles (waiting on results on the 3rd now), I am going to meet with Dr. Huddleston again to determine the next course of action. I scheduled my meeting with the Dr. when I started the 3rd IUI cycle so I can see her asap.
Good facilities [at UCSF] but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay... For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
The Drs seem pretty busy but our initial sit down meeting went well and she gave me a clear path. After 3 IUI attempts, we should sit down and discuss alternatives. The difficulties would be scheduling an appointment with her for the follow up. For each IUI procedure, I had a different doctor/nurse which was as expected. Some are more articulate than others. The nurse practitioner that did each ultrasound exam was pleasant and showed compassion.
Be proactive in making your appointments and following up.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Good facilities but very busy. Not very personal. It seems like they have very experienced doctors but you don't actually see your own doctor much or talk to them. Most nurses are friendly and so far billing has been okay.
Heather Huddleston

Embryo Freezing
He [Dr. Rinaudo] took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful....He spent enough time with me to get a sense of my goals with respect to being able to freeze embryos and eggs, if possible. I knew my age was my biggest obstacle and he set a realistic expectation. I knew not to expect huge numbers of follicles at age 39, so I appreciated his directness/candor to hope for 10 at best.
UCSF CRH is new and very clean. The parking is a nightmare, but that is to be expected in SF. Weakness is the silo of information. Billing and scheduling are not in sync. Good luck reaching anyone via phone. After your initial consultation, you are given emails to the key groups. Email early and often because you may not get a response.... Getting the estimate of costs was very challenging. I wanted to have this addressed before my first monitoring appt and it arrived at around 6p the night before.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Come with a list of questions because he is busy and it will take a couple of days to get an email response.
He took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Norma)
Norma and Kat have been great at relaying information.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Everyone comes in from 7-9a and it seems as though those hours are the hardest to get specific information.
$14k without meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Getting the estimate of costs was very challenging. I wanted to have this addressed before my first monitoring appt and it arrived at around 6p the night before. The billing aspect seems very disconnected.

2014 - 2015, Successful
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She's a great doctor with lots of experience as she is the head of the practice. She travels a lot to conferences which means she's not always as available - but that also makes her more savvy about new treatments and technologies.
Schedule a face to face visit with dr Cedars to make sure you understand her treatment plan. If you like to see the same doctor throughout the treatment, you may have to be patient and wait until she is in town for long enough.
Dr Cedars took the time to talk to us and explain everything to us. She seemed to care about us as individuals and really thought about personalizing the treatment, as opposed to just doing the regular protocol that is done for most women at the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Very organized and responded to emails very quickly which was critical to me. Especially when waiting for pregnancy test results!!!
2010 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Rinaudo was knowledgeable, kind, realistic and pragmatic. However, he was never the physician that treated me during the actual IUI or IVF process. I went through IUI 3 times and IVF 3 times.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I thought he was fine - not great but fine thus hard to give feedback
I had mixed experience at UCSF but overall it was positive and the nurses and staff were caring. There were times when I would deal with someone that was less sensitive or knowledgeable about me and my treatment and this was primarily during IUI (which was a waste of time and money). During the IVF process it was a much better experience even though the first two times resulted in a negative pregnancy test but we ended up with a healthy child so overall experience was positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
They were compassionate
2013, Unknown Success
Dr. Rosen spent 1+ hours with us at the initial appointment understanding everything. Very clearly explained all my hormone levels. Great doctor. Doesn't seem to care about multiples, however!
Loved the [UCSF] personal nurse who was my point of contact after my initial consult. Wonderful over the phone. Never met in person.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Spent 1+ hours with us at the initial appointment understanding everything. Very clearly explained all my hormone levels. Prescribed Clomid and when we asked about the possibility of multiples he said "I'm not worried about multiples"
Great doctor. Doesn't seem to care about multiples, however!
Loved the personal nurse who was my point of contact after my initial consult.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Wonderful over the phone. Never met in person. Very warm.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Nice doctor who cared. Great, helpful, kind.
Paula was great, but there's still a lot you need to be on top of yourself. You have to be on top of your own prescriptions, otherwise nothing.
Great, helpful, kind
Good option
Nice doctor who cared
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Paula was great, but there's still a lot you need to be on top of yourself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
approx $10k for everything?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
You have to be on top of your own prescriptions, otherwise nothing
2011, Successful
Dr. Zamah was warm, caring, smart and experienced. He was considerate but didn't hide the reality of the challenges of our situation. He was thoughtful about our IVF protocol.
How was your experience with Musa Zamah at UCSF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Musa Zamah at UCSF?
He was personal, understanding and empathetic.
Musa Zamah