6.6
6.6

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

2020 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Fujimoto was very focussed on our desired outcome. There was not a lot of hand-holding or compassionate doctoring, but that was not what we were looking for...After our first cycle failed to produce any viable embryos, [he] changed protocols and the new protocol worked well for me...We transferred one PGS normal embryo..
The nursing team was generally very prompt in replying to my messages in the portal. If there were times when I had an urgent question and they weren't responding right away, I was able to reach them by phone...UCSF is a high through put clinic with great procedures and protocols in place and a top notch lab. You don't typically see your doctor for monitoring appointments and procedures...They also don't provide much guidance on lifestyle changes or complimentary therapies like acupuncture, you have to be very proactive about those things
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto was very focussed on our desired outcome. There was not a lot of hand-holding or compassionate doctoring, but that was not what we were looking for. We were looking for a specific result - viable embryos free of 2 dominant serious genetic conditions, and enough embryos to potentially have more than one child. With a maternal age of 39 that is no small feat. After our first cycle failed to produce any viable embryos, Dr. Fujimoto changed protocols and the new protocol worked well for me. We were able to get our target number of embryos after 2 more cycles, for a total of 3 cycles. Dr. Fujimoto also identified and treated a septum in my uterus. His level of experience treating this condition made very confident in the results of the procedure. He was always very straightforward about the plan, risks and potential outcomes. He was sometimes blunt to a fault - once casually suggesting that we consider an IUI with donor sperm, which was kind of a bomb for my more sensitive husband. I think if someone needed a lot of cheerleading or compassion along the way, they might find Dr. Fujimoto lacking. But if you want a science-based, experienced, results focussed physician he is the real deal. I am very happy with our outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Be specific with your desired outcome and listen to what Dr. Fujimoto tells you about the risks and potential approaches. He will always give you a straightforward answer. He will not communicate directly with you during your treatment cycle, but if you have a question for him ask the nurse to put you in contact with him and he will take the time to call and talk with you. Also, I saw and acupuncturist during my treatment who also served as a coach with regards to lifestyle changes. I found that very helpful because Dr. Fujimoto and UCSF don't provide much advice on that beyond a pdf handout.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto was pretty no-nonsense. Our limited time together was focussed on the treatment plan.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did one typical short protocol which did not produce good results. Dr. Fujimoto then switched me to a "demi-halt" protocol which does not seem very popular as far as I can tell but it worked much better for me. I used this protocol twice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ana Rao)
The nursing team was generally very prompt in replying to my messages in the portal. If there were times when I had an urgent question and they weren't responding right away, I was able to reach them by phone. There was one time when I did not receive the instructions for my trigger shot, but I was able to figure it out. Other than that they provided very clear instructions and always answered my questions quickly, even when I was being a bit anxious and asking a lot of them.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a high through put clinic with great procedures and protocols in place and a top notch lab. You don't typically see your doctor for monitoring appointments and procedures. For monitoring procedures you see one of many NPs or doctors, and for procedure you see the procedure doctor of the week. I thought all of the doctors and nurses at UCSF were top quality and knew exactly what they were doing, but if you want to have a personal connection with your doctor or if you aren't comfortable being examined by a large number of clinicians this might not be the place for you. They also don't provide much guidance on lifestyle changes or complimentary therapies like acupuncture, you have to be very proactive about those things. One thing that I really appreciated about UCSF was the genetic counseling. We had a complicated PGD case and the genetic counselor we worked with, Chelsea Leonard, was absolutely fantastic. One of the big reasons I picked UCSF is because they have genetic counselors on staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
About $15,000 per cycle, not including medications and genetic testing. The FET was $4,500
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We transferred one PGS normal embryo. We didn't have much discussion of this, it just seemed like the obvious best choice.
Victor Fujimoto

2020 - 2022, 22 Eggs Frozen
Dr Jaswa is incredibly warm and compassionate. UCSF is a teaching hospital so I didn't always get to see her...Nonetheless I felt like Dr Jaswa truly cared about how I was feeling, how I was responding to treatment, and how I felt about the outcomes...made herself available to answer questions. I never felt rushed when I spoke with her. I was disappointed in the number of eggs retrieved in my first cycle, so Dr Jaswa reviewed my medications and how I responded and proposed a new protocol for my second cycle, which was more successful...
This clinic [UCSF] is great for care, compassion, and expertise. I was happy with all the doctors and nurses that I interacted with. Likewise with anyone in reception. But the billing department is TERRIBLE...I am constantly getting billed for services I don't owe...don't blindly pay bills received from UCSF CRH. Take a close look and determine if you think you really owe it; push back if you think you don't...
How was your experience with Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF?
Dr Jaswa is compassionate and warm. She is patient and made herself available to answer questions. I never felt rushed when I spoke with her. I was disappointed in the number of eggs retrieved in my first cycle, so Dr Jaswa reviewed my medications and how I responded and proposed a new protocol for my second cycle, which was more successful (yay!).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF?
You probably won't get to see Dr Jaswa very often (due to the style of the UCSF clinic), but you should absolutely take advantage of the portal and send along all your questions to the care team. They'll get back to you, and if you have concerns that you'd like Dr Jaswa to address specifically, they will forward to her for her response.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF?
Dr Jaswa is incredibly warm and compassionate. UCSF is a teaching hospital so I didn't always get to see her; additionally, because of covid many of our visits were over Zoom. Nonetheless I felt like Dr Jaswa truly cared about how I was feeling, how I was responding to treatment, and how I felt about the outcomes.
Describe the protocols Eleni Greenwood Jaswa used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
1st protocol (age 33): A week following ovulation, I started estrogen patches (replaced patch once every 48 hours) until my period. Once I got my period, I went in for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork and then began injecting 150mg of Gonal F and 150mg of Menopur nightly. I was responding very quickly -- some of my follicles were growing much more quickly than others -- so by day 4 I started injecting cetrotide in the mornings to slow/prevent ovulation of the biggest follicles. I triggered on day 7 of medications with 5,000mg of Novarel/Pregnyl and 450mg of Gonal F. They retrieved 15 eggs, but 2 were too mature and 3 were immature, so they froze 10. 2nd protocol (age 35): Because my eggs hadn't really grown synchronously last time, resulting in too much dispersion in maturity, Dr. Jaswa suggested trying the lupron-down protocol to start my cycle. The idea was to better suppress my cycle at the start so that the follicles would grow together. This was more or less successful. One week following ovulation, I started injecting 10 units of Lupron nightly. On day 12, I went in for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork; I had one more night of Lupron injections and on day 13 I began injecting 150mg of Gonal F and 150mg of Menopur nightly. I went in for ultrasounds and blood work every couple days. Again, I was responding very quickly to medication, but this time my follicles at least were growing more in synch. I triggered on day 7 of medications with 10,000mg of Novarel/Pregnyl and 450mg of Gonal F. They retrieved 12 eggs and all were mature and frozen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
I worked most closely with Roshi, who was wonderful. Quick to respond to my portal messages and very sweet and compassionate. She answered most of my questions and directed a couple to Dr Jaswa when she wasn't sure.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
This clinic is great for care, compassion, and expertise. I was happy with all the doctors and nurses that I interacted with. Likewise with anyone in reception. But the billing department is TERRIBLE. They seem to be almost completely incompetent. Several examples: (1) the financial navigators don't actually tell you anything about how to help pay for your services. I found out through my nurse during my first cycle that ARC Fertility offers a pre-negotiated egg freezing package with UCSF that lowers the cost of the cycle to $7,100, compared to the $8,500+ I was being quoted by the billing department. Thank goodness she told me, or I'd never have known. I have a friend who also used UCSF and no one told her about ARC - I did. (2) I am constantly getting billed for services I don't owe. When I paid through ARC, ARC submitted a payment to UCSF to cover my cycle. Yet I continue to receive bills from UCSF for $2,000+. Advice for others: don't blindly pay bills received from UCSF CRH. Take a close look and determine if you think you really owe it; push back if you think you don't. (3) Multiple friends have been told that they couldn't charge their insurance for general office visits or consultations, paid out of pocket, and then had their insurance billed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF.
Egg-freeze cycle: $7,117 (package through ARC Fertility which included monitoring appts, ultrasounds, retrieval, anesthesia, freezing + 5 years of storage) Medications: ~$3,800 (purchased through Alto Pharmacy)
Eleni Greenwood Jaswa

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Every time we talk to Dr. Noel, we both breathe a sigh of relief. She's incredibly compassionate but also can speak to the reality of the situation. She'll came up with new methods/protocols after our failed 3 cycles in 2021, figuring that it was better to start stims 5 days or so into my cycle and also switching to conventional IVF instead of ICSI for fertilization. She's really adaptable, isn't at all arrogant about her opinions, really a joy to work with...
[at UCSF] There's usually a bunch of patients ahead of you in the waiting rooms and the wait time for your appointment can be up to 45 minutes on some days. It makes it difficult if you have work meetings you have to plan around...$12000 per egg retrieval cycle (self-pay)...had a question about the trigger shot but didn't hear back [from nurse] till the next day. Luckily, we were able to figure it out on our own...
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Noel is the best doctor we've had, and we've talked to a dozen or so doctors/clinics at some of the "top clinics" in the US. She's has the right balance of warm, caring, but also sticking to recommendations that have evidence, and also being willing to suggest/try new methods if the previous cycle didn't work out. She was our biggest cheerleader throughout, and I was so happy that she was able to do one of my egg retrievals. She patted my leg as I was going under anesthesia which gave me a lot of comfort. We ended up with our first 2 fertilized embryos afterwards, unfortunately they didn't grow to Day 5 blasts. However, since then we've had 2 successful cycles with 2 fertilized embryos each and we have 4 embryos on ice finally after a year of egg retrievals. We really thank Dr. Noel for persisting and not giving up on us. She's also very responsive on the Patient Portal despite being swamped with so many patients. She usually responds within a day or two and gives a thorough response to our questions. And she's willing to jump on a video chat if she can't answer all your questions via a message.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
I think it helps to have tracked your previous cycles in the past and be able to speak clearly about what hasn't worked thus far with protocols and fertilization methods. Also, try to book video sessions with her to ask her any detailed questions you might have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We started off with lower doses of stims, but later on decided to wait a few days.4-5 before starting stims after the baseline ultrasound. My follicles sometimes didn't respond well since my own FSH was going up high and adding Gonal-F wasn't doing much at that time. So we kinda let my body do it's thing and then started adding in Gonal F at around 8mm follicle size, and then Menopur 75 IU when they got to 12mm size and then retrieved around 16mm or so. Then we used just conventional IVF for fertilization. My eggs are pretty fragile and didn't do well with ICSI. Results after 7 cycles with UCSF => 4 frozen Day 3 embryos. Going to try for another egg retrieval in the next 2 months and then FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga always seems to be in a rush/frazzled when you talk with her. Luckily, I didn't need too much instruction from her on shots, but I never got a sense that it'd be easy to ask her questions. We in fact had a question about the trigger shot but didn't hear back till the next day. Luckily, we were able to figure it out on our own.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is like a fertility mill. There's usually a bunch of patients ahead of you in the waiting rooms and the wait time for your appointment can be up to 45 minutes on some days. It makes it difficult if you have work meetings you have to plan around. At the same time, you get some great doctors like Dr. Noel. Billing can be a bit of a headache. It's difficult to figure out what insurance will cover sometimes and we'll get random statement notifications and trying to read their bill and reconcile it with their statements makes my head explode.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
$12000 per egg retrieval cycle (self-pay).
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Since we only have Day 3 embryos, we're gong to be transferring multiple embryos (5-6). The chances are low for each embryo at my age (5%) so the risk is pretty low for a twin pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
This was more in the initial visits, we had a long list of labs that both my husband and I had to get. I think that Thuy forgot to send in orders for some of them and so we had to figure that out and ask her to send the order for him. It was also a big hurdle to get an appointment with Dr. Smith the UCSF reproductive urologist, I think his waiting list last year was 2-3 months or something. Now that we've done so many cycles, things are going much more smoothly. I think the biggest issues were with onboarding us, getting all the labs done in the beginning. Maybe once there was an appointment snafu where they told me about an appointment that wasn't actually scheduled.

2017 - 2021, Successful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Noel is really caring and thoughtful. She let us make decisions most of the time, but when it's time for her to guide us as a medical professional, she was convincing with reasoning...Given my age and number of embryos we could transfer, we had to be very careful not loosing any chances. Her approach reflected the situation and she didn't waste any of our resources. I'm sure she would treat differently for different patients. I believe out plan was coordinated by her based on our specific situation....
The nurses [at UCSF] are friendly and they are good at what they are doing. The front desk staffs are kind as well. If you think of a big hospital such as UCSF, you might think that you may not get personal touch. We never felt that way. By having many staffs and nurses, they were really efficient and available. All you need is a designated doctor and his/her team....
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
When we were in her office before the treatment, she was very clear explaining the medical situation as well as the treatments we get. After those visits, we had a good explanation of what we are dealing with, so there was no uncertainty. Fertility treatment takes time and nobody can guarantee the outcome. The important aspect is for the doctor to be with us along the way and we feel Dr. Noel did that exactly.
Dr. Noel is really caring and thoughtful. She let us make decisions most of the time, but when it's time for her to guide us as a medical professional, she was convincing with reasoning. In one of the embryo transfer session, she held my feet and wished the best sincerely. Regardless of the outcome, I was truly touched. And yes I got pregnant in that transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga, Thuy)
When you plan for IUI or IVF especially the first time, there are so many medications to deal with, so many schedules to follow up, and so many... everything. For the given task, Olga was really efficient and good at moving the schedule forward. She was there whenever we needed her for medical questions via phone or email. Thuy is really friendly and compassionate. We still remember how we were greeted by her when we had visited the hospital. That warm welcome was such a relief in those stressful environment where you have to deal with IUI and IVF.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The nurses are friendly and they are good at what they are doing. The front desk staffs are kind as well. If you think of a big hospital such as UCSF, you might think that you may not get personal touch. We never felt that way. By having many staffs and nurses, they were really efficient and available. All you need is a designated doctor and his/her team.

2020 - 2021, Successful
She [Dr. Segal] is very compassionate and really explains things well. She respected that I was a scientist and came armed with data. Also took time to explain the emotional side of things...She can be short when she is busy. But she really means well and if she is short, follow-up with her at a better time and she will respond compassionately...
Very robust evidence based clinic [UCSF]...I felt very safe here. It is a busy university hospital though and feels like a public hospital. If you want a boutique experience, this is not for you...was treated so compassionately by Dr Segal and most of her team. They were understanding, non-judgemental and yet very pragmatic...3 IUIs appr $15000 2 IVFs appr $55000...
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
She is very compassionate and really explains things well. She respected that I was a scientist and came armed with data. Also took time to explain the emotional side of things. I mean let's face it, this is an emotional process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I was treated so compassionately by Dr Segal and most of her team. They were understanding, non-judgemental and yet very pragmatic.
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Estrace priming for low AMH. for IVF. Second one worked when she upped the dose of estrace and we have a gorgeous baby girl from that. She started off with the standard 3 IUIs, which were a complete waste of time in hindsight, but at that stage I was also not ready to go to IVF. If I did it again I would skip the IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
Very sweet but not the brightest bulb in the room. She couldn't figure out my period days and almost had me start on a wrong day until I kicked it up to the doctor. Also when I did not conceive with my first IVF, she was robotic in her response ' these are questions for your doctor. Luckily I called the clinic and the nurse on call was so compassionate and helpful about not conceiving the first time, it really helped me at that time.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Very robust evidence based clinic. The incentive here is not monetary gain - see Vice article on Dr Danielle Lane's clinic to learn more. I felt very safe here. It is a busy university hospital though and feels like a public hospital. If you want a boutique experience, this is not for you. But if you want a child and want the most evidence based way to get there, this is for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
3 IUIs appr $15000 2 IVFs appr $55000 I had progyny so only had to pay my out of pocket which was around $6k
Describe Thalia Segal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I had a strong preference for eSET and she respected that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
They got the pharmacy wrong. I didn't know what to do but they should have asked me to call my health insurance and figure out what pharmacy. I actually did that and they said optum but the clinic coordinator said optum is a helpline not a pharmacy. That wasn't true. Luckily all these were IUI problems. For IVF, i had the process down.
Thalia Segal
San Francisco

Dr. Anaya always followed up with us on all things IVF but also on procedures or events that were unrelated. She has been caring and honest...She has adjusted treatments to make us more successful (I.e. adjusted hormone dosage during 2nd egg retrieval, had me do an endometrial biopsy to see if endometriosis was present to treat during COVID-19 pause). She could have been more thorough with getting to the endometriosis diagnosis in the front end and not after a failed embryo transfer.
I got an endometrial biopsy [at UCSF] (which was incredibly painful) to determine if treatment for endometriosis was an option. A protein associated with endo was present so now I’m taking 2 monthly Lupron shots to slow down the endo and hopefully have a successful transfer in a few months...The staff really is top notch. Everyone from the receptionists, to the nurses to the MDs are great. I always feel very cared for when there. Your primary Dr will most likely not be the one doing the follicle ultrasounds or retrievals/transfers but we were always in excellent hands. We have seen our primary Dr in person once. Our approach as patients has been of trust so we’ve had a very decent experience.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Dr. Anaya has been very caring and open with us. She has adjusted treatments to make us more successful (I.e. adjusted hormone dosage during 2nd egg retrieval, had me do an endometrial biopsy to see if endometriosis was present to treat during COVID-19 pause). She could have been more thorough with getting to the endometriosis diagnosis in the front end and not after a failed embryo transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Be very thorough with your symptoms and do your research before the meeting/call with her as she’s great about debunking info and creating a treatment plan that everyone is comfortable with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Yanett Anaya used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
For the 2 egg retrievals, we yielded 43 eggs that became 4 embryos. The first transfer was 21 to 1 embryo which is why we opted for a 2nd round in which she modified one of the hormone doses (increased, forgot which one) and we had 22 to 3 embryos. We’ve only had 1 transfer which was unsuccessful and we don’t really know why so, during this pause, I got an endometrial biopsy (which was incredibly painful) to determine if treatment for endometriosis was an option. A protein associated with endo was present so now I’m taking 2 monthly Lupron shots to slow down the endo and hopefully have a successful transfer in a few months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: There have been a few: Kat and Cheryl are the ones I remember )
Cheryl is not the most organized (made us bring paperwork in unnecessarily once) but responds very promptly and was very compassionate when she had to call and let me know the embryo transfer had failed.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Yanett Anaya at UCSF.
My insurance through work has covered most of my treatments. I have paid for some medicines, the genetic testing for my husband and I and the endometrial biopsy out of pocket (under 5k).
Describe Yanett Anaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
From what I’ve gathered, at UCSF they prefer to do single embryo transfers since the likelihood of a live birth (our goal) is higher.
Yanett Anaya
San Francisco

Dr. Huddleston sticks with evidence based practice. If there isn't a lot of research on it, she doesn't recommend it. If you're interested in some super new, cutting edge approach you'll have to bring it to the table yourself. She generally sticks with the tried and true fertility treatments...checked in with me personally by either scheduling an office chat or a simple phone call...She did encourage us to transfer 2 fresh embryos
[UCSF] is a big clinic. Very difficult to get an appointment and their initial onboarding paperwork and insurance stuff was such a nightmare. I almost gave up before I started. However- once you complete your initial consult, you're like family there...there are tons of appointment times and chances for procedures, tests etc...She [the nurse] was great with emailing back promptly and answering my million questions. My only complaint is the fact that I didn't get to meet her in person until after my egg retrieval when I was prepping for FET
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Every meeting along the way has felt like a friendly conversation. She asks what I'm thinking/feeling about the next step. I share my concerns and questions. She offers a breakdown of the options with the pros and cons of each option. My husband and I side chat for a minute while she waits patiently. She always tells us to think it over and email her our decision about anything. I always feel important to her and I feel like she genuinely cares about us and wants us to succeed. She is a big reason I've decided to keep going on this difficult journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston sticks with evidence based practice. If there isn't a lot of research on it, she doesn't recommend it. If you're interested in some super new, cutting edge approach you'll have to bring it to the table yourself. She generally sticks with the tried and true fertility treatments. Which honestly is reassuring because I never felt like I was one of her experiments or getting unsold on fancy extras. She's an awesome doctor with amazing bedside manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Throughout my IVF journey, Dr. Huddleston has checked in with me personally by either scheduling an office chat or a simple phone call. When I hit an emotional road block and sent a crazy emotional email to the clinic saying I didn't want to do another cycle that month, she called me to ask how I was doing and what was going on that changed my mind. I was so touched- I asked her, "did you really just call to check on me?" She said "pretty much!". She's repeatedly encouraged me to do self-care and acknowledged how difficult this journey is.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We did estrogen patches for 7 days leading up to the egg retrieval month. Started injections on cycle day 1 (gonal F 150units, menopur daily). Office ultrasounds were cycle days 1,5,7. On cycle day 7 I began cetrotide in the morning. I then had ultrasounds days 9, 10, 11. Triggered with HCG on day 11. Egg retrieval was on day 13.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
She was great with emailing back promptly and answering my million questions. My only complaint is the fact that I didn't get to meet her in person until after my egg retrieval when I was prepping for FET. Lab techs are all very nice and professional. Front desk folks are warm and kind. Everyone is really great at CRH.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It is a big clinic. Very difficult to get an appointment and their initial onboarding paperwork and insurance stuff was such a nightmare. I almost gave up before I started. However- once you complete your initial consult, you're like family there. Its nice that its a big clinic because there are tons of appointment times and chances for procedures, tests etc. The facility is clean, peaceful, and modern. There is a nice restaurant/ bar within the building which makes for a great pit stop when you're not pregnant! Ha :)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
$12,800 for egg retrieval + ICSI $1,800 for embryo biopsy $2,000 PGS testing (ending up being free because of a study) $350 for injection meds $3,400 for frozen embryo transfer
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We were very firm about doing single embryo transfer. (We only had 2 frozen pgs normal embryos total). She was totally fine with this and never pushed us. On our second IVF cycle, we decided we would do a fresh transfer. She did encourage us to transfer 2 fresh embryos. I told her I was still very against transferring 2. She was fine with my decision but did tell me it would take longer for me to get pregnant.
Heather Huddleston
San Francisco

[Dr. Mitch Rosen's] preference is eSET but given I had two failed ones, on my third transfer, doctor was ok putting in two...took the time to go through any questions my husband and I had. I would say though that you need to be prepared with questions and to advocate for yourself. He will not "handhold" you through the process so I can see where people may feel like a number. Do some of your own research and with that he will provide you with more information that you probably want/need.
She [nurse at UCSF] is on top of it! Extremely knowledgable, caring and accessible! UCSF is so lucky to have her!...Doctor's and UCSF preference is eSET but given I had two failed ones, on my third transfer, doctor was ok putting in two...Monitoring appointments are a well oiled machine. I was usually in and out within 15 minutes (bloodwork and ultrasound). I could always get in a time convenient for me...A full fresh cycle is around $16k, excluding medications. A frozen cycle is around $4k, excluding medications. My second and third retrievals were covered by insurance.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen is very direct and will tell provide you with pros/cons and options. He first tries to understand what your objectives are to provide better answers for you. If you are looking for someone warm and fuzzy, this may not be the right doctor for you, but if you are looking to achieve an outcome and care a little less about the bedside manner (not that it is bad at all), this is the doctor for you. He would keep us in our place when we tried to ask about a backup plan and would have us focus on Plan A only. Dr. Rosen is the best, if not one of the best at UCSF, and am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be his patient. I couldn't recommend him more and hope when we plan for a second child, he will still be there to guide us again through our journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Be prepared with questions and do some of your own research. Advocate for yourself if something is important to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen took the time to go through any questions my husband and I had. I would say though that you need to be prepared with questions and to advocate for yourself. He will not "handhold" you through the process so I can see where people may feel like a number. Do some of your own research and with that he will provide you with more information that you probably want/need.
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did my first egg retrieval cycle with estrace priming and then gonal f/menopur. I was reacting quite well to the medication so my dosage changed quite a bit. Although I yielded a good number of eggs (I think around 26), only 2 made it through PGS testing. Had two single embryo transfers, using medicated cycle (given my periods are irregular). Both failed. Did an hysteroscopy and everything was fine. Did an ERA test and also came back normal. This was followed by a second egg retrieval cycle, primed with birth control so that the eggs would grow closer in size compared to the first cycle. Gonal f lower does and menopur. Went for 14 days vs 10 in first cycle. Worked well. Had 33 eggs of which 8 embryos were PGS normal. We did a third cycle insurance was helping to cover the 2nd and 3rd cycle and did the exact same protocol as second egg retrieval but had completely different results. 21 eggs of which only 2 PGS embryos resulted. I honestly think the difference in results was due to lifestyle (much more stressed during this cycle). So have 10 embryos banked. Given two failed FETs, transferred two embryos (one day 5 and one day 6 embryo) and success (at least for now)!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes is the best nurse! She is on top of it! Extremely knowledgable, caring and accessible! UCSF is so lucky to have her!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a teaching hospital so you have to know that you will not see the same people during each visit. That being said, they seem to be well coordinated and any questions I had during a visit that wasn't with my primary team, was always answered well. The facility itself is nice and calm. I was living in NYC and went to another fertility clinic for IUI's and that was not calm at all and felt more like a sausage factory. I've heard some issues with billing at UCSF, but personally I haven't had any issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
I paid out of pocket my first cycle. A full fresh cycle is around $16k, excluding medications. A frozen cycle is around $4k, excluding medications. My second and third retrievals were covered by insurance.
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.

2018 - 2020, Successful
He [Dr. Mitch Rosen] was able to comprehensively assess our case & then fine tune our IVF protocol to produce results that we were not able to achieve until then. We went from feeling like we may very well not be able to conceive at all to having many healthy embryos now “in the bank” and will be attempting implantation for pregnancy soon. Dr. Rosen was very conscientious about answering all of our questions and also incorporated our own preferences and input. We are immensely grateful to Dr. Rosen and so very lucky to have been able to work with him. September 2020 UPDATE: Our fertility journey was very long and challenging, but Dr. Rosen guided us through and now we are pregnant!!! He and his clinical nurse manager Liz Gomes were extraordinary. They have been so smart, caring, patient, professional and supportive. We could not have been in better hands.
Be aware that while in-cycle, on weekends you might work with RE Fellows rather than directly with an Attending [at UCSF]...We also saw two Nurse Practitioners, Katrina and Stephanie, several times throughout the course of treatment. Both Katrina and Stephanie were fantastic. All of the nurses, techs and front desk staff at CRH (especially Maria!) have been really warm and kind. We have felt that they are genuinely rooting for us, which made all the difference while going through such an emotionally and physically taxing journey. We also worked with Annie, assistant to Dr. Rosen, at the beginning stages before starting our cycles. Annie was incredible. She was extremely organized, thorough, remarkable with follow through and had a great sense of humor throughout it all!
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
We ended up going to several different fertility clinics in the Bay Area (we met with six different REs across five centers) as it was difficult to find a good match and our case turned out to be much more challenging than we expected. Without a doubt we can say that Dr. Rosen has been the best for us to work with and is a brilliant physician. While there are many exceptional centers & physicians offering IVF in the Bay Area, it is evident that Dr. Rosen is not only one of the most academically accomplished reproductive endocrinologists nationally but he is also an outstanding clinician. He was able to comprehensively assess our case & then fine tune our IVF protocol to produce results that we were not able to achieve until then. We went from feeling like we may very well not be able to conceive at all to having many healthy embryos now “in the bank” and will be attempting implantation for pregnancy soon. Dr. Rosen was very conscientious about answering all of our questions and also incorporated our own preferences and input. We are immensely grateful to Dr. Rosen and so very lucky to have been able to work with him. September 2020 UPDATE: Our fertility journey was very long and challenging, but Dr. Rosen guided us through and now we are pregnant!!! He and his clinical nurse manager Liz Gomes were extraordinary. They have been so smart, caring, patient, professional and supportive. We could not have been in better hands.
Be aware that while in-cycle, on weekends you might work with RE Fellows rather than directly with an Attending.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes has been our nurse and main clinical point person while working with Dr. Rosen. Liz has been outstanding and is a true gem. It was a gift to work with her. She is caring, extremely knowledgeable, professional, ever patient and super warm. We also saw two Nurse Practitioners, Katrina and Stephanie, several times throughout the course of treatment. Both Katrina and Stephanie were fantastic. All of the nurses, techs and front desk staff at CRH (especially Maria!) have been really warm and kind. We have felt that they are genuinely rooting for us, which made all the difference while going through such an emotionally and physically taxing journey. We also worked with Annie, assistant to Dr. Rosen, at the beginning stages before starting our cycles. Annie was incredible. She was extremely organized, thorough, remarkable with follow through and had a great sense of humor throughout it all!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is unique from all of private fertility centers in that it is a public university and therefore intentions and motivations are very different. We started our fertility treatment at a private fertility center in San Francisco thinking there were numerous advantages over UCSF. After several second opinions, we eventually ended up back at UCSF because of Dr. Mitchell Rosen. We were surprised and thankful to find out that UCSF was superior in many ways to the private (MUCH more expensive - we paid out of pocket for all treatment!) fertility clinics.
All out of pocket
San Francisco

Dr. Noel has incredible bed side manner and importantly, it is natural. It's a part of who she is to be kind and compassionate. I received personal phone calls from her whenever there was sensitive information and she is always willing for follow up calls and appointments...Dr.Noel recommended to only transfer one due to my fertility. After a miscarriage the first transfer, my partner and I requested to do multiple embryo transfer and while she did not advise due to the higher likelihood of a twin pregnancy and the challenges of that, she allowed us to pursue this.
UCSF is world class. The clinic looks world class, the spacing of rooms- felt comfortable and compassionate, and you never had to wait for your appt...Olga and nursing staff were so PROMPT. They always provided results, next step info, scheduling etc exactly when they said they were going to. I never had to worry about when I would hear back - they were on top of it
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr.Noel was out second fertility doctor we saw. The first one was at another clinic and had zero bed side manner and made us feel terrible. When I called UCSF the first time, I said, can you get me an appointment with your most compassionate doctor, the one with the most bedside manner. The clinic receptionist said, oh thats dr. noel - and she was right. I always felt like I was in kind hands and, that didn't mean she sugar coated the odds or the process - but rather, she soberly gave the information with an air of collaboration and support. the first time we transferred, I miscarried, and she was graceful with my loss. The next time, she transferred two and while she shared the upside and downside of transferring two - suggesting we do not do that due to my younger age and higher likelihood of both embryos taking - she ultimately was a yes to us doing it when we requested it. I did get pregnant with both embryos and lost one at 9 weeks. I now have a healthy, beautiful baby girl!! My gratitude for Dr. Noel is endless
Ask front desk for dr.noel is you are looking for a compassionate doctor
Dr. Noel has incredible bed side manner and importantly, it is natural. It's a part of who she is to be kind and compassionate. I received personal phone calls from her whenever there was sensitive information and she is always willing for follow up calls and appointments. I felt like she was a friend, who had my best interest at heart. She never made herself the knower and me the patient - all the information was shared and then we collaborated next steps.
We went through a round of IVF and we were able to harvest 25 eggs via the treatment protocol dr.noel followed. We ultimately got 5, five day embryos and I got pregnant on each transfer. I miscarried after the first transfer and then was pregnant and had a full term, healthy pregnancy after the second.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga and nursing staff were so PROMPT. They always provided results, next step info, scheduling etc exactly when they said they were going to. I never had to worry about when I would hear back - they were on top of it.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is world class. The clinic looks world class, the spacing of rooms- felt comfortable and compassionate, and you never had to wait for your appt. You were in when it was your time. It is super clean and you felt that people enjoyed what they were doing
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
I was 34 years old and Dr.Noel recommended to only transfer one due to my fertility. After a miscarriage the first transfer, my partner and I requested to do multiple embryo transfer and while she did not advise due to the higher likelihood of a twin pregnancy and the challenges of that, she allowed us to pursue this.
2015 - 2020, Successful
Due to the anatomy of my uterus and my age, Dr. Mok-Lin will only do a single embryo transfer...There is no option for me to risk having multiples...is a great listener. She has never made me feel she’s in a rush trying to get to the next patient. Additionally, she takes her time to explain the process and her suggestions. My husband is super analytical and always has many more questions for her and she always happily answers every single one. I love my relationship with her.
Maria [nurse at UCSF] is amazing!! I email her with questions all the time. She is very compassionate and friendly and she will spend all the time needed on the phone explaining the next steps and she will also email all the details...Very nice clinic and friendly staff with easy parking. The check in process is easy and they have several people to do it so you hardly ever wait in line. However, certain women at the check in counter take so long reviewing all the details to make sure they have your insurance, your correct address etc etc. I get it if it is the first time there, but for me, especially during treatment you go in multiple times a week and if I get this person to check me in, she’ll go through it all over again even when I say I was there a day ago, it is annoying.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I have been seeing Dr. Mok-Lin for several reasons since 2015. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have had my boy, period. He is a toddler now and I will be forever grateful to her and her team. Dr. Mok-Lin performed surgery on me to remove a septate uterus. It was a long and complicated process but she finally fixed it all and I became pregnant naturally. Now, due to unexplained infertility I completed 4 IUI’s and I got pregnant twice with a miscarriage and a cervical ectopic pregnancy. With this last one, which I found out during a routine ultrasound, I had to go through the embryo removal procedure that same moment. I was alone and terrified and my husband on a work trip. When Dr. Mok-Lin showed up in the room I was relieved and knew she would take care of me and everything would be fine. And it was! Now, I am in the process of IVF with FET. Dr. Mok-Lin has said she plans to do the transfer and I’m very excited for that. Because of the time she’s spent with me explaining the process I know what to expect but when I have questions, I send her an email and she responds clearly. Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin is smart and knowledgeable, she listens and tries to please but only if she knows it is the best option for her patient. I have 100% confidence in her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
That they may not always see her during appointments but she will be behind every decision concerning the patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin is a great listener. She has never made me feel she’s in a rush trying to get to the next patient. Additionally, she takes her time to explain the process and her suggestions. My husband is super analytical and always has many more questions for her and she always happily answers every single one. I love my relationship with her.
Describe the protocols Evelyn Mok-Lin used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
On the first round of IUI I took 100mg of clomid. I produced too many eggs so the procedure had to be cancelled. The other 4 rounds, 50mg of clomid and got pregnant twice but miscarried and had an cervical ectopic pregnancy. For egg retrieval, I only did it once using Cetrotide, Gonal F and Lupron. I can’t remember dosage :/
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria is amazing!! I email her with questions all the time. She is very compassionate and friendly and she will spend all the time needed on the phone explaining the next steps and she will also email all the details. I absolutely love Maria.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Evelyn Mok-Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Due to the anatomy of my uterus and my age, Dr. Mok-Lin will only do a single embryo transfer and I am okay with that. There is no option for me to risk having multiples.

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Fujimoto] was honest about what the research supported, and what aspects of diagnosis and treatment he simply couldn't answer (based on the research). Sometimes I had to be more proactive than I would have liked to raise different options (such as an ERA test). He also put me in the driver's seat more than I would have expected - for example, one time he asked what dose of a medication I thought I should take. ... He did, however, recommend transferring a single embryo.
The initial calendars/case schedules I was sent by the nursing staff did not always reflect my correct protocol. ... The clinic is absolutely top of the line and has the latest research. The staff was warm and caring - even staff members you might see only once. They also are able to help patients get medications at low prices - I saved thousands of dollars. Wait times for an initial appointment can be months. ...
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto is very down to earth and warm and has access to the latest research. He was honest about what the research supported, and what aspects of diagnosis and treatment he simply couldn't answer (based on the research). Sometimes I had to be more proactive than I would have liked to raise different options (such as an ERA test). He also put me in the driver's seat more than I would have expected - for example, one time he asked what dose of a medication I thought I should take.
Do your own research and be prepared to ask questions -- he may not raise all issues you should consider, and he may not fully talk through issues unless you push him.
All doctors and nurses were very warm and compassionate. However, sometimes they had to be reminded multiple times of my unique circumstances.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Deidre Koeb)
Nursing staff and coordinator were very warm and compassionate and responsive. However, they sometimes had to be reminded of my specific situation -- for example, the calendars I received were often incorrect or reflected the wrong protocol.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I purchased a package that cost $15,000 for one retrieval (including ICSI) and two transfers. PGS was $2775 more, and I paid about $2600 for additional tests and services. So, about $20,000 total.
I was surprised that the doctor made it sound like more of an open-ended decision -- I would have expected him to recommend eSET and educate me on the risks of multiples more strongly than he did. He did, however, recommend transferring a single embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
The initial calendars/case schedules I was sent by the nursing staff did not always reflect my correct protocol. It seemed like they were sending something generic that did not take into account the modifications the doctor and I had discussed. This was promptly fixed once I identified the error.
Victor Fujimoto
San Francisco

Dr. Cedars came across as friendly, kind, and thoughtful. She is a very busy person, but when she's with you, she really gives you all her focus and never makes you feel rushed or like a burden. I felt like I could put a lot of trust in her ... I did a "mini stim" protocol due to my young age, my fertility being unexplained, and the fact that this was my first time doing IVF.
They [UCSF] won't be pushing any treatment you don't actually need. They offer mini-stim IVF for a fraction of the price of IVF at most places, which is a big reason I traveled from MT for my treatment. ... The one thing I will say they fall short of is communicating and getting the ball rolling quickly with starting your care. It can take months to get your first appointment, and we had to be persistent and annoying to get things going in our treatment.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Cedars came across as friendly, kind, and thoughtful. She is a very busy person, but when she's with you, she really gives you all her focus and never makes you feel rushed or like a burden. I felt like I could put a lot of trust in her, and that she was doing everything she could to ensure the best outcome for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She can be hard to get ahold of, and you likely won't see her much during your treatment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
In the few interactions with Dr. Cedars I had, she was very nice and friendly, and made me feel comfortable in conversation.
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did a "mini stim" protocol due to my young age, my fertility being unexplained, and the fact that this was my first time doing IVF. It aims for quality over quantity, and results in fewer eggs maturing at once, but increases the likely hood that they will fertilize, and also increases the odds of a fresh transfer. This protocol involved taking clomid day 2-6, then starting injections on day 6 (150 iu of gonal-f, ganirelix, and 75 IU Menopur until trigger). We found out around trigger day that my uterine lining was too thin for a fresh transfer most likely a side effect of the clomid. I also had a low follicle count, and it took some finessing to get a few to maturity at the same time, and by trigger day, it looked like we had 3 good ones, and 5 small ones. We were able to retrieve 6, but given the maturity level, it wasn't much of a surprise that only 2 fertilized. Luckily, of those 2, they both made it to day 3, and were frozen for a later transfer. They were rated well, both grade 2, one was an 8 cell, one was a 6. I participated in a study for my treatment, comparing IVF to Invocell, and was chosen for IVF. The study was a mini-stim protocol, and compares day 3 embryos, so my treatment was tailored to my needs within the parameters of the study. However they wouldn't have accepted me for the study if I hadn't been a good candidate, so I trust that it was right for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill was great, she responded quickly to my emails and calls, and helped me understand what I needed to do and when.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is amazing because its a not for profit fertility center, with a large volume of patients, meaning lots of experience, and motivation to learn more and be at the forefront of research and new treatment, while also not trying to necessarily make money, like many fertility centers do. Knowing this makes you feel very assured that they are looking out for your best interests, and not their own! They won't be pushing any treatment you don't actually need. They offer mini-stim IVF for a fraction of the price of IVF at most places, which is a big reason I traveled from MT for my treatment. Also, everyone I dealt with there was so nice. Even the people who were way overworked made me feel like they really cared about me in our interactions. The one thing I will say they fall short of is communicating and getting the ball rolling quickly with starting your care. It can take months to get your first appointment, and we had to be persistent and annoying to get things going in our treatment. Once things start though, it's a pretty smooth engine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
We had no insurance coverage, and Mini Stim IVF is normally around $5500, but we were able to participate in a study that made it $4816 (that includes anesthesia, but also is only for a set amount of appointments, so it can go up a little depending on if you need more monitoring) and then an additional $700 for a year of embryo storage. They refund you for whatever is left over, if you have to stop at any point in the process. They also have a pharmacy next door, that is discounted and it easily saved us thousands of dollars. All in we paid around $300 for all my meds combined!
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
She originally suggested I transfer both, just out of convenience since I have to travel for my care. However I felt strongly that I only wanted to transfer 1, and not take on the risk of multiples. She was completely on board with that and supported my choice!
San Francisco

Dr. Rosen is not necessarily the "warm and fuzzy" type. But neither are we, so he is the prefect match for us. He also took the time to connect with my husband to make him feel more comfortable about the process....Dr. Rosen was fantastic and kept it real and was straight forward with us, but also understood the human factor and concerns and anxieties we had going through the process. He used the right amount of humor, but also was always very clear about the process, what he expected, and how we were going to get there.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen is not necessarily the "warm and fuzzy" type. But neither are we, so he is the prefect match for us. He also took the time to connect with my husband to make him feel more comfortable about the process. After coming from a previous RE where I did not feel as comfortable, every single time I see or talk to Dr. Rosen I walk out of the clinic feeling more positive and hopeful than before. Even with setbacks out of any of our control. We really love Dr. Rosen.
Some people need a warmer demeanor. And I think setting up those expectations from the beginning would be helpful. For us, he is perfect. But he may not be a match for everyone. So laying out his personality/"bedside manner" type during introductions before going into treatment plan would be helpful for people to decide if he is the right doctor for the long haul.
First cycle: estrogen priming, gonal F, menapur, started ganorelix around day 6, stimmed for 9 days, egg retrieval on day 11. Had done IUIs with that combination and it worked well, so he decided to try that. Second cycle: about to start. Doing a random start time with no priming (due to there being a cyst that is delaying ovulation). Not sure yet what medications we will use to stim this cycle, but believe it will be around the same.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Cathy and the entire staff at UCSF is fantastic. They call every day that they say they will. They call around the same time and are very clear with their instructions on what the next steps are.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is top of the line. I love everything about it. I would say that if you want specialized care where you see your doctor every visit and are able to reach out to talk to him directly, this is not the place for you. During my stimming and follow up appts, I have seen tons of other docs and NPs. After each appt, they would review my hormone level and U/S with my doctor and then I would receive a call from the Nurse. They were like clock work, but it was never Dr. Rosen. So if you want to see the same person every time, its not the place. I call this more of a "well oiled machine" (that is very big). I love UCSF though!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
One retrieval round for us, with insurance, was around $9100. We anticipating one more retrieval. And then we will also have to pay for transfer (around $4000). Other expenses were sent to my other provider.
Dr. Rosen is very clear that if you do PGS testing, he will only transfer one back. He said that at the beginning and even when we (Husband and I) were toying with the idea of 2 after all of the delays. But he did not waiver and said only 1 an option. Which we actually were good with, and he had stayed consistent with that position, which I appreciated.
San Francisco

She [Dr. Cedars] is kind, forthright, and thoughtful, and takes the time to explain treatment options....She’s amazing but busy. She takes the time to call and speak with you directly with positive or negative news. I’ve advocated for myself and I think that has paid off in getting the care I deserve. Her ability to lay out all of the options clearly and address all of my concerns is why I continue to pursue treatment with her and UCSF.
This is my fourth fertility clinic (third one for treatment) and I love everything about UCSF. Yes it’s a huge research institution and there can be a lot of patients in the waiting areas and treatment lounges, but I feel like each interaction with me directly is personalized for my protocol....The biggest issue with Dr Cedars is the continued revolving door of the staff. As soon as you build rapport with one, they leave. There are other permanent staff but they are not as diligent on details as previous coordinators were.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Do your research and advocate for yourself. Ask questions if anything is unclear. She is super busy, so determine the answers you can get from your care team and those you need from Dr Cedars.
She is kind, forthright, and thoughtful, and takes the time to explain treatment options.
I’ve only done one donor egg IVF cycle with Dr Cedars but two transfers. The first protocol was Lupron, then estrogen patches, then progesterone, medrol five days before the transfer and Valium for the transfer. I was also taking a huge amount of supplements (Vitamins B,C,D,E, iron, baby aspirin, ubiquinol, metafolinic). Unfortunately my lining was insufficient for my transfer so Dr Cedars ordered an ERA and I had a mock transfer to see if my uterus was receptive. Once the data came back that I am pre-receptive, she removed Lupron from my protocol during my next cycle and kept everything else. Although the transfer was smooth, that round was unsuccessful. I’m waiting for the sign off for my next DEIVF round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona, Julie, Anne, Ruth)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
I’m pretty privileged in that I received a gift from a family member to pay for costs not covered by insurance, and that my insurance at first covered 50 percent (and has increased to 85 percent) for my treatment. So my costs are variable but I think we probably paid out of pocket for procedures less than $5K (donor-related items are not covered by insurance and for a frozen round the cost is over $13K).
Dr Cedars is complete pro-eSET. For the first round I agreed; as I face my second round I am leaning toward a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
This is in reference to the challenges with Dr Cedars’s care team. One staff called me with completely incorrect information regarding my protocol and I was frustrated to have to correct them when I know they have access to my file. Just seemed lazy.

2019, Consult
My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor [Dr. Huddleston] reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications...was very kind and understanding . She answered all of my husband and my questions with great care...was very intelligent and broke down the whole process of IVF even drew pictures so we completely understood what was going on she was very empathetic to our situation and also offered to enroll us into a case study if we wanted to because it could possibly be a little less expensive route . She was very patient and gave detailed explanations to us and asked if we had questions along the way.
Parking was a little expensive [at UCSF]...it is a beautiful facility very clean and warming...you are instantly greeted when you walk in . We didn’t have to wait to be seen we were seen exactly on time!!...Our care coordinator was awesome explained everything answered all my what if questions and worked with our schedule ...My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor [Dr. Huddleston] reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr.Huddleston was very intelligent and broke down the whole process of IVF even drew pictures so we completely understood what was going on she was very empathetic to our situation and also offered to enroll us into a case study if we wanted to because it could possibly be a little less expensive route . She was very patient and gave detailed explanations to us and asked if we had questions along the way.
To be open and honest with her and due to her willingness to explain come in with a list of questions prepared.
Heather was very kind and understanding . She answered all of my husband and my questions with great care.
I am currently undergoing treatment with Dr.Huddleston. She did explain in our first appointment why we needed to do the sonogram because my husband and I were hesitant due to us not having coverage for it and did not want to pay for something that was unnecessary at the time but she explained the reasoning why we needed it which was Because she needed to get an initial look at the female reproductive System as well as a current egg count to know an approximation of how many eggs could be produced in retrieval and to see if there were any anatomical abnormalities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Janlyn kong)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Parking was a little expensive and there is construction around the area currently so it was a little difficult getting there but the contractors were very nice and gave directions but other than that it is a beautiful facility very clean and warming the security helped us find what floor to get to and you are instantly greeted when you walk in . We didn’t have to wait to be seen we were seen exactly on time!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
So far nothing yet but looking over the bill it’s going to be +$10,000
My husband was concerned about me becoming the new Octomom and our doctor reassured us that she would only be transferring one embryo because multiple embryos means more chance for complications and she wants us to have a healthy pregnancy so she transfers only one embryo at a time. Unless your over 40 and your egg quality is lower she only does o e embryo.
Heather Huddleston
San Francisco

She was the first doctor in our process to outline our options and give us hope. Her attention and knowledge were outstanding. ... Due to high risk of OHSS -I had 33 follicles during the initial consult-, Dr. Cedars treated me with an antagonist protocol. ... Doctor Cedars took the time to explain our diagnosis and options. She answers many questions during the course of treatment
I worked with Katharine and Ruthie [nurses at UCSF] and they were both outstanding. They would follow up with me within minutes of me sending them messages, they were on top of the schedule and reacted quickly when we had to make changes (i.e. initiating stimulation a week earlier due to my menses being early). ... I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any of my appointments and I loved finding a book of notes for patients by patients that made me feel understood and less lonely going through the process.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
After a year of trying and getting no answers from Kaiser we transferred our case to UCSF and Dr. Cedars saw us immediately, used the battery of tests we had done through Kaiser to diagnose us and gave us a path forward. She was the first doctor in our process to outline our options and give us hope. Her attention and knowledge were outstanding. To date (we are awaiting to see if the Fresh transfer worked), we joke that we may call any future daughters of ours Marcelle after the doctor.
Trust the doctor
Doctor Cedars took the time to explain our diagnosis and options. She answers many questions during the course of treatment and she worked with Dr. Smith who was treating my husband. She was extremely positive and even conducted some procedures like the saline sonogram herself.
Due to high risk of OHSS -I had 33 follicles during the initial consult-, Dr. Cedars treated me with an antagonist protocol. We started with 75 Menopur and 150 Gonal-F. After 10 days, my estradiol levels went down (one big follicle collapsed) and we increased the dose of Menopur to two vials. Two days later we triggered and we got 19 eggs (all 19 mature).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Katharine Porras)
I worked with Katharine and Ruthie and they were both outstanding. They would follow up with me within minutes of me sending them messages, they were on top of the schedule and reacted quickly when we had to make changes (i.e. initiating stimulation a week earlier due to my menses being early). I have really enjoyed working with them and I have felt very cared for.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The facilities have to be the best in the country. The Mission Bay Campus is incredible. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any of my appointments and I loved finding a book of notes for patients by patients that made me feel understood and less lonely going through the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Monitoring was done in the mornings and it was very convenient as it was from 7 AM until 9 AM which meant not having to miss work. It was extremely easy to get appointments and I was always able to get them at my preferred time.
The doctor strongly recommended eSET due to my egg, hormonal levels and health history. She also recommended a fresh transfer after monitoring me daily from day 5 of stims.
San Francisco

At start of consultation I was 38 with low ovarian reserve (3 follicles barely 4mm each, FSH 11.2) My husband was 35 and with history of chemo due pancreatic cancer. He [Dr. Rinaudo] said IUI would be the less aggressive route since we wanted to avoid IVF ... Dr. Rinaudo it's one of the most compassionate and caring doctors ice ever dealt with. He was candid, expressed concern and helped with decision making applying evidence based expected outcomes specific to our case
The rooms could be a little "less medical" feeling but honestly I didn't care about going to a foofy clinic. I cared about the expertise and everyone at RHC has been wonderful! ... Both Kat and Norma [nurses] are so fast in responding and so organized. They're always communicating with each other and made every step of the process seamless! They're absolutely the best supporting team I'm ever worked with!
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo made this difficult and scary process just the opposite. He explained everything very clearly and set realistic expectations. My husband was just a couple of years post pancreatic cancer treatment when we first saw Dr. Rinaudo and we assumed the issue was just a male factor but when I got tested and discovered that I had a very low ovarian reserve (only 3 follicles and barely 4mm each during pelvic US) we realized our situation just became tenfold more complex. I was 38 at the time so it wasn't statistically surprising but it was definitely emotionally shocking to find out nevertheless, considering I've always been healthy. After 3 cycles of IUI didn't work Dr. Rinaudo recommended IVF. Having lost my childhood best friend to breast cancer at the age of 33 shortly after IVF, the thought of it was terrifying. Though the statistics aren't clear that IVF causes cancer, I've personally witnessed too many cases. We discussed this with Dr. Rinaudo and he explained that it is important to consider that it's not just IVF but the ongoing hormone surges throughout pregnancy that could trigger cancer. This shed more light on the subject but didn't make going through IVF more enticing. We agreed with my husband that if we came to the point where IVF was the only option we'd get further genetic testing for cancer. This is the ONLY weakness that I would say Dr. Rinaudo has. Neither HE nor ANY medical professional was the one to suggest this test, despite my husband's history of cancer and my Ashkenazi background. Once we told him we want to do the genetic testing, Dr. Rinaudo very quickly arranged for us to meet with a wonderful generic counselor who performed the saliva test. After a few weeks we were contacted by the same genetic counselor who gave us the terrific news that my husband was clear of any genetic cancers (which was my biggest fear) and followed the news my revealing that I have the BRCA2 gene (a fear we didn't anticipate). Now I was even more glad we did the test but even more confused by why NOBODY ever suggests to get this test done considering 1 in 40 people of Jewish descent have some form of the BRCA gene. We decided for me do a double mastectomy and reconstruction and put IVF on hold until I recovered. Now I'm recovered and less fearful of going through IVF. Now I'm ready to get back on track to starting a family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Pick his brain. He's brilliant. But do your research and be your own advocate in the process. This would apply to any doctor as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo it's one of the most compassionate and caring doctors ice ever dealt with. He was candid, expressed concern and helped with decision making applying evidence based expected outcomes specific to our case.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
At start of consultation I was 38 with low ovarian reserve (3 follicles barely 4mm each, FSH 11.2) My husband was 35 and with history of chemo due pancreatic cancer. Double whammy! He said IUI would be the less aggressive route since we wanted to avoid IVF possible so he said we'd give no more than 3 cycles a try then move on to IVF. 3 cycles of IUI resulted in 0 pregnancies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kat and Norma)
Both Kat and Norma are so fast in responding and so organized. They're always communicating with each other and made every step of the process seamless! They're absolutely the best supporting team I'm ever worked with!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic is started off the art and overall beautiful. The rooms could be a little "less medical" feeling but honestly I didn't care about going to a foofy clinic. I cared about the expertise and everyone at RHC has been wonderful!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
We were fortunate to have Cobra insurance coverage under my husband's previous employer in Massachusetts which covered all fertility treatment. We no longer have this coverage and were quoted about $15,000 not including medications per cycle for out of pocket cost.
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Rinaudo suggested single embryo transfer to avoid potential risks associated with potentialof multiples based on our situation and my age
Paolo Rinaudo

Investor
Dr. Noel was measured and didn’t try to pressure me into IVF vs other doctors I had consulted. ... Dr. Noel is compassionate and thoughtful about each patient’s case. ... Strengths: Dr. Noel is thoughtful about her recommendations and fertility plan. She also takes the time to explain and answer questions. She’s responsive over email.
Strengths: wide range of time slots, both early morning and weekends. Very professional staff [UCSF], punctual and high quality of care. Weaknesses: hard to get into the system initially but go above and beyond once you’re a patient. ... Weekend staff didn’t update me on status of embryos as planned. ... Care coordinator: Thuy - she is very responsive and helpful with getting all of the paperwork and necessary appointments set up. Very organized. Main nurse: Olga - she is very organized and is the main point of contact for updates.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Strengths: Dr. Noel is thoughtful about her recommendations and fertility plan. She also takes the time to explain and answer questions. She’s responsive over email. Weaknesses: Dr. Noel hasn’t been as always to access since the email system got updated. Now you can only email the care team and a nurse usually responds. At least the responses are within the day.
Dr. Noel is compassionate and thoughtful about each patient’s case. UCSF is structured to rotate doctors and nurses for each visit. Even though you won’t have that much contact with Dr. Noel, she is making the final decisions and recommendations for you.
Dr. Noel is thoughtful about my case and take the time to explain everything simply, draw diagrams, provide important details and answer all of my questions. She is also realistic and kind at the same time.
We started conservatively with progesterone treatments, then moved to IUI (4 rounds) then IVF when previous methods were unsuccessful. Dr. Noel was measured and didn’t try to pressure me into IVF vs other doctors I had consulted. So far no pregnancy but Dr. Noel mentioned it could take a few tries due to age and lower egg count.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Care coordinator: Thuy - she is very responsive and helpful with getting all of the paperwork and necessary appointments set up. Very organized. Main nurse: Olga - she is very organized and is the main point of contact for updates. Very efficient and explains processes well. Can sometimes be curt but don’t think she means it negatively. General nursing team: all wonderful, well-informed, professional and kind.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: wide range of time slots, both early morning and weekends. Very professional staff, punctual and high quality of care. Weaknesses: hard to get into the system initially but go above and beyond once you’re a patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
IUI costs $3-5k depending on monitoring and insurance coverage. IVF costs about $20-30k depending on specific procedures performed/elected.
The approach is meant to optimize for saving the embryos that I can produce due to lower egg count. So day of transfer and # transferred depends on how many eggs and embryos in that cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Weekend staff didn’t update me on status of embryos as planned.
San Francisco

I did appreciate his [Dr. Mitchell Rosen's] vast knowledge about infertility and he put a great plan in motion for me and far as my protocol. I was nervous when I found out he wasn’t able to perform my egg retrieval or transfer...be patient if you want to get on his schedule. He rarely has openings...We opted for a mini cycle and I was very pleased with the outcome. I responded well and after taking clomid for 5 days, a couple shots of ganarelix and I think one or 2 shots of gonal I was ready to trigger. It happened very quickly.
The finance dept [at UCSF] never answers the phone tho so expect a lot of emails going back and forth. Most team members are prompt with their email responses and call backs. They do close rather early though so you have to get your calls and emails in early. Sometimes I had to ask questions to my care coordinator more than once. They were short staffed at the time though so I tried to be patient. But when you’re spending so much money on such a personal journey you’re often anxious to get questions answered and the wait can feel like forever.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Overall I had a good experience. Except for what I mentioned previously in that I allowed myself to be put in the “infertility box” and didn’t trust my gut instincts, and I know my body very well. I should have been more sure of myself and only transferred one embryo as I knew my body couldn’t handle a twin pregnancy. However, I did appreciate his vast knowledge about infertility and he put a great plan in motion for me and far as my protocol. I was nervous when I found out he wasn’t able to perform my egg retrieval or transfer. But the staff was top notch and I was very comfortable with everyone who helped me.
He’s one of the best, If not the best doctors at the clinic so be patient if you want to get on his schedule. He rarely has openings.
It’s not that I felt like a number but I felt like a statistic. I’ve always been very fertile but my tunes are tied. In This field the dr’s tend to go on statistics and research and I was talked in to transferring 2 embryos against my gut instinct to transfer just one. I was assured I’d likely only have one stick, if any. But both stuck and I was unable to carry 2 (that’s a long complicated story) and ended up having to terminate both.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
My nurse was extremely smart I just wish she’d taken a little more time to explain things. I always felt rushed.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Overall they run a well oiled machine. The finance dept never answers the phone tho so expect a lot of emails going back and forth. Most team members are prompt with their email responses and call backs. They do close rather early though so you have to get your calls and emails in early. Sometimes I had to ask questions to my care coordinator more than once. They were short staffed at the time though so I tried to be patient. But when you’re spending so much money on such a personal journey you’re often anxious to get questions answered and the wait can feel like forever.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
All in we paid about $8,500. This included meds, anesthesia, appts, ultrasounds, etc.
I shouldn’t comment bc I don’t have fertility issues, my tubes are tied and I’m super fertile.
San Francisco

Dr. Cedars will strongly encourage an elective single embryo transfer...is very intelligent and is very busy. More times than not you will be seeing others doctors on her time, all of which who are very friendly and have good bedside manner...the medications she prescribed for my egg retrieval were spot on. I was at risk for Hyper Ovarian Stimulation and she wanted to keep my dosage pretty low, we got a FANTASTIC result, of 31 eggs retrieved, 14 of which turned into 5-6 day blastocysts. When it came to my first transfer, we did a transfer without antagonist. The first transfer did not result in pregnancy, and now we are awaiting an appointment to change our protocol.
We did Two Round Success Plan with ARC Financing [at UCSF]. It was around $40k for that...the meds here are significantly discounted...meaning you maybe pay a few hundred for all the meds here versus 5-6k. The PGS testing we had done on our embryos was somewhere around 2-3k...It can sometimes feel like you get lost in the shuffle, as there's not a lot of support like you might receive from smaller clinics. For example, when we were waiting to see what embryos made it to blastocyst, while some clinics would call you on Day 1, 3, 5, 6... we didn't get a call until Day 7 with the results. So its definitely less personal that way.. but I find the knowledge of the doctors far outweighs the support I may receive during the process. This is however something they could majorly improve on.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
While I didn't see Dr. Cedars very often, the medications she prescribed for my egg retrieval were spot on. I was at risk for Hyper Ovarian Stimulation and she wanted to keep my dosage pretty low, we got a FANTASTIC result, of 31 eggs retrieved, 14 of which turned into 5-6 day blastocysts. When it came to my first transfer, we did a transfer without antagonist. The first transfer did not result in pregnancy, and now we are awaiting an appointment to change our protocol.
Ask as many questions as you like, she's very knowledgeable and understanding.
Dr. Cedars is very intelligent and is very busy. More times than not you will be seeing others doctors on her time, all of which who are very friendly and have good bedside manner.
The treatment strategy for my egg retrieval was very successful. The treatment strategy for my first transfer didn't result in pregnancy, although my lining was really good (14 mm), so will be looking to change the protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Katherine Porras)
The nursing staff at UCSF is very kind and compassionate. I found if I need an immediate response to select their immediate care line, otherwise emailing my care team, they were usually responsive within 24 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
We did Two Round Success Plan with ARC Financing. It was around $40k for that... the meds here are significantly discounted... meaning you maybe pay a few hundred for all the meds here versus 5-6k. The PGS testing we had done on our embryos was somewhere around 2-3k.
Dr. Cedars will strongly encourage an elective single embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Regarding the embryos that made it to blastocyst, I didn't feel as supported as I would have maybe preferred. Calling on Day 7 isn't the greatest when its already an anxiety ridden process. Also when I got my embryo transfer there were zero calls or emails of support wondering how I was doing, which I think a clinic should implement as it is a very hard (and seems like long), and emotional waiting period.

2015 - 2019, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I would always ask Dr. Mok-Lin a million questions. And she would always answer them with a lot of insight and expertise. Every time she would explain to me how things would go or her feelings on something, she was always spot on. There were never any surprises, and I always felt very prepared mentally for what was to come...Her explanation for why they did multiple with my own eggs and only one with the donor made sense. And both times she was right!
I LOVE SHEM [nurse at UCSF]. She walked me through so many disappointing cycles and always always was so sweet and supportive. I couldn't have done that many cycles without her...At first I felt it was hard to see different doctor each time I would come in. It felt a little like moving through an assembly line. But each doctor was so nice and attentive, that I quickly became use to it. Also, I understand why they do that. With as often as you need to go in, it is nearly impossible to see the same doctor each time.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin has been my doctor for years, and I think that in itself says something. She always gave me the detailed facts and her advice when I would ask for her opinion. I am a detailed oriented person, and she would always help me understand the processes as they were happening. I couldn't be happier with her as a doctor and will hopefully return soon to see her again!
A close friend of mine did become a patient of hers and I didn't feel I needed to give her any advise.
Dr. Mok-Lin was always very aware and sensitive to my situation, but also was very honest with me, which I asked for and very much appreciate. She was always very professional, and very responsive to any questions I had. When there was bad news she made sure to call me herself, which I have always appreciated.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
I LOVE SHEM. She walked me through so many disappointing cycles and always always was so sweet and supportive. I couldn't have done that many cycles without her.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
I went through so many cycles and different treatments over the course of 4-5 years, I honestly couldn't start to remember
San Francisco
Dr.Noel is very warm and empathetic yet very straightforward and realistic in her answers. She also remembers details of my case and things I’d mentioned months ago...My case was diagnosed as unexplained infertility, so she made suggestions for changes in protocol that covered both egg and sperm quality, which alleviated quite a bit of emotional burden on my part that I may be the sole source of the problem. She also never pushed for IVF and was gentle and systematic in the progression and escalation of treatment.
Both nurses and coordinator [at UCSF] were excellent and extremely helpful. I could tell that they were very busy and usually rushed in their answers, but they were effective and efficient...Every nurse and doctor I encountered was very capable and empathetic. The appointment times are plentiful and start very early in the day. I could be monitored in the morning and be at work on time in downtown SF, which was an enormous advantage for me.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel is warm and empathetic yet manages to give all of the information—the good and the bad—in a clear and direct manner. My case was diagnosed as unexplained infertility, so she made suggestions for changes in protocol that covered both egg and sperm quality, which alleviated quite a bit of emotional burden on my part that I may be the sole source of the problem. She also never pushed for IVF and was gentle and systematic in the progression and escalation of treatment.
As UCSF is a group practice, I didn’t see Dr. Noel very often; however, it was clear that she was following my progress through comments from the nurses. When I did check in with her, she was aware of the details of my cycle. My two retrievals and transfers were with Dr. Rosen and Dr.Siegal, both of whom were wonderful doctors as well. I wouldn’t be put off by the fact that you see quite a few doctors and nurses as they were all very knowledgeable and kind.
For my first round of egg retrieval, Dr. Noel recommended using ICSI for fertilization due to my unexplained infertility. She explained that sometimes a round can result in no fertilized eggs which can be emotionally devastating. Her suggestion was spot on as I lost many eggs at fertilization, and the round ended with three day 3 embryos which did not result in a pregnancy. At least going through the motions of an embryo transfer gave me some hope, whereas ending in zero embryos and no transfer might’ve emotionally discouraged me from another round of stimulation and retrieval. For the second round she suggested escalating to PICSI fertilization and adding growth hormones to my stimulation protocol due to low estrogen levels. That second round resulted in my current pregnancy as well as one frozen PGS tested embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
I worked with Thuy, Olga, and Gianna. Both nurses and coordinator were excellent and extremely helpful. I could tell that they were very busy and usually rushed in their answers, but they were effective and efficient. The bills, paperwork, and email security was the most annoying part of the process, which indicates how well UCSF runs the medical aspects.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The facilities are brand new and beautiful. Every nurse and doctor I encountered was very capable and empathetic. The appointment times are plentiful and start very early in the day. I could be monitored in the morning and be at work on time in downtown SF, which was an enormous advantage for me. They also separate waiting rooms and appointment times such that new patients, mid cycle patients, male partners coming in for sperm collection, patients scanning for a successful embryo transfer don’t wait next to one another. Parking is also easy. They took care to alleviate all of the small stressors that can compound to an already high stress situation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
Medical procedures came to about $20,000 per round.
Dr. Noel was very clear that her recommended goal is for a singleton pregnancy given the risks associated with multiple pregnancies. Due to my failed multiple IUIs, she recommended the transfer of two embryos and explained that that would likely result in a singleton pregnancy.
San Francisco

We did two mini IVF cycles [with Dr. Cakmak], the first I didn’t respond so well...The second time the protocol was changed to include human growth factor injections (to improve egg quality), and froze all embryos that reached 5 days (so my body could recover and be prepared for the transfer)...I felt I was respected and my personal circumstances were taken into consideration. Dr Hakan listened to our ideas and took time to explain what works well for people in our position.
This clinic [UCSF] caters to everyone possible. They are helpful towards people who can’t afford treatment at private clinics. Important to ask for help and find ways to make treatment and medications feasible. There is a way of paying up front costs to get a reduction of fees. Costs were a major factor for us to get access to fertility treatment, the UCSF have government funding so the costs are less.
How was your experience with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Dr Hakan Cakmak (not Cakmak Hakan) is a very kind and professional individual. He is capable of seeing beyond the regular methods and integrating cutting edge ideas. We were able to continue along a pathway of hope when other Drs had tried pushing us in directions we didn’t want to go. We highly recommend Dr Cakmak and appreciate his help in assisting us with creating our next generation with our own genetic material.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Older ladies remain calm if he repeats how age plays a major role in egg quality.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hakan Cakmak at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Hakan Cakmak used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We did two mini IVF cycles, the first I didn’t respond so well. The egg retrieval collected 4 of 8 eggs but only 2 were mature. We ended up with one embryo of 3 days that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The second time the protocol was changed to include human growth factor injections (to improve egg quality), and froze all embryos that reached 5 days (so my body could recover and be prepared for the transfer). We had 2 frozen embryos they both made it through the thaw and were implanted. I was having daily Progesterone injections and 3 day estrogen patches to prepare my uterus for the embryos and make it a receptive environment. We were lucky enough for one embryo to implant and become a healthy pregnancy. We couldn’t afford the genetic testing of the embryos but the subsequent blood screening panels were negative to all 175 conditions. I continued the daily Progesterone and estrogen patches until the roughly the end of trimester 1.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Carolyn Clarke)
Our nurse was very responsive to all messages, even if she was not working I was able to contact a member of the team. Carolyn is a very positive and encouraging lady, she gave me hope and I looked forward to seeing her. She understands how stressful infertility is and her support really made the infertility journey less scary and manageable.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
This clinic caters to everyone possible. They are helpful towards people who can’t afford treatment at private clinics. Important to ask for help and find ways to make treatment and medications feasible. There is a way of paying up front costs to get a reduction of fees. Costs were a major factor for us to get access to fertility treatment, the UCSF have government funding so the costs are less.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hakan Cakmak at UCSF.
$12K roughly for upfront payment of mini IVF freeze all day 5 embryos, frozen transfer with ICSI.
Describe Hakan Cakmak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Because of my advanced maternal age we were able to implant more than one which we were happy to do.
Hakan Cakmak

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations...I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
The new center [at UCSF] is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here...Shem [nurse] is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls...There were 2 cycles where there was a misunderstanding about which medications I should take. I think both were called in but they intended for me to take only one
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations. This may be a great style for some patients, but I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
Don’t be shy about emailing the nurses for any questions or needs you have. The nurses are your direct line to the doctor and no question is too small to ask
Dr. Mok-Lin wasn’t very approachable or available for questions or feedback. I was also disappointed that she didn’t really seem to care about the outcome of any of my cycles and didn’t seem very empathetic towards us
I have severely diminished ovarian reserve and have been doing “mini IVF” using an antagonist (Femara or Clomid) and minimal stimulation once the follicles are bigger. She advised us to freeze as many as possible and transfer 3-4 at a time to maximize chances
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Shem Lewis)
Shem is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The new center is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
The first 2 cycles I did were in 2014 and they cost around 17-19k in clouding medications. This time around I’ve been doing mini IVF which is only 5-7k each cycle
At my age she recommended 3-4 embryos at once with the rationale that only 1/5 or 1/12 may be normal