6.6
6.6

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

2020 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Fujimoto was very focussed on our desired outcome. There was not a lot of hand-holding or compassionate doctoring, but that was not what we were looking for...After our first cycle failed to produce any viable embryos, [he] changed protocols and the new protocol worked well for me...We transferred one PGS normal embryo..
The nursing team was generally very prompt in replying to my messages in the portal. If there were times when I had an urgent question and they weren't responding right away, I was able to reach them by phone...UCSF is a high through put clinic with great procedures and protocols in place and a top notch lab. You don't typically see your doctor for monitoring appointments and procedures...They also don't provide much guidance on lifestyle changes or complimentary therapies like acupuncture, you have to be very proactive about those things
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto was very focussed on our desired outcome. There was not a lot of hand-holding or compassionate doctoring, but that was not what we were looking for. We were looking for a specific result - viable embryos free of 2 dominant serious genetic conditions, and enough embryos to potentially have more than one child. With a maternal age of 39 that is no small feat. After our first cycle failed to produce any viable embryos, Dr. Fujimoto changed protocols and the new protocol worked well for me. We were able to get our target number of embryos after 2 more cycles, for a total of 3 cycles. Dr. Fujimoto also identified and treated a septum in my uterus. His level of experience treating this condition made very confident in the results of the procedure. He was always very straightforward about the plan, risks and potential outcomes. He was sometimes blunt to a fault - once casually suggesting that we consider an IUI with donor sperm, which was kind of a bomb for my more sensitive husband. I think if someone needed a lot of cheerleading or compassion along the way, they might find Dr. Fujimoto lacking. But if you want a science-based, experienced, results focussed physician he is the real deal. I am very happy with our outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Be specific with your desired outcome and listen to what Dr. Fujimoto tells you about the risks and potential approaches. He will always give you a straightforward answer. He will not communicate directly with you during your treatment cycle, but if you have a question for him ask the nurse to put you in contact with him and he will take the time to call and talk with you. Also, I saw and acupuncturist during my treatment who also served as a coach with regards to lifestyle changes. I found that very helpful because Dr. Fujimoto and UCSF don't provide much advice on that beyond a pdf handout.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto was pretty no-nonsense. Our limited time together was focussed on the treatment plan.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did one typical short protocol which did not produce good results. Dr. Fujimoto then switched me to a "demi-halt" protocol which does not seem very popular as far as I can tell but it worked much better for me. I used this protocol twice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ana Rao)
The nursing team was generally very prompt in replying to my messages in the portal. If there were times when I had an urgent question and they weren't responding right away, I was able to reach them by phone. There was one time when I did not receive the instructions for my trigger shot, but I was able to figure it out. Other than that they provided very clear instructions and always answered my questions quickly, even when I was being a bit anxious and asking a lot of them.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a high through put clinic with great procedures and protocols in place and a top notch lab. You don't typically see your doctor for monitoring appointments and procedures. For monitoring procedures you see one of many NPs or doctors, and for procedure you see the procedure doctor of the week. I thought all of the doctors and nurses at UCSF were top quality and knew exactly what they were doing, but if you want to have a personal connection with your doctor or if you aren't comfortable being examined by a large number of clinicians this might not be the place for you. They also don't provide much guidance on lifestyle changes or complimentary therapies like acupuncture, you have to be very proactive about those things. One thing that I really appreciated about UCSF was the genetic counseling. We had a complicated PGD case and the genetic counselor we worked with, Chelsea Leonard, was absolutely fantastic. One of the big reasons I picked UCSF is because they have genetic counselors on staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
About $15,000 per cycle, not including medications and genetic testing. The FET was $4,500
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We transferred one PGS normal embryo. We didn't have much discussion of this, it just seemed like the obvious best choice.
Victor Fujimoto

2022, Successful
Dr. Segal made me feel much more comfortable about the whole thing. It was like talking to a friend that happened to be an expert in fertility...conversations never felt stuffy, disconnected, or judgmental - she was super supportive, compassionate, and kindly direct...The only bummer is that she wasn't a consistent contact point the entire way through. But this is less about her as a Dr., and more about the way UCSF operates.
when I felt some extreme pain during the process, the nurses and staff [at UCSF] took me seriously and aired on the side of caution - I never felt dismissed, brushed off, or like a nuisance...One thing to note is that their billing department is a real pain to work with...If I hadn't been asking questions up front (i.e - how do I perform the injections?), I wouldn't have known that I could get 1:1 training because nobody told me that was an option.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I really enjoyed having Dr. Segal as my fertility Dr. While this was a delicate, and somewhat nerve-racking decision and procedure to undergo, Dr. Segal made me feel much more comfortable about the whole thing. It was like talking to a friend that happened to be an expert in fertility. Since we were freezing embryos for fertility preservation, and are not choosing to get pregnant at this time, I can only speak for that portion of treatment - but we got great results and I didn't have any significant setbacks during the priming/ injection period. The only bummer is that she wasn't a consistent contact point the entire way through. But this is less about her as a Dr., and more about the way UCSF operates.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Be an advocate for yourself. Since you only meet with Dr. Segal once or twice prior to the actual treatment - you HAVE to put yourself in front of the support staff and message them with any questions. If I hadn't been asking questions up front (i.e - how do I perform the injections?), I wouldn't have known that I could get 1:1 training because nobody told me that was an option.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
What I really appreciated about Dr. Segal is that it felt like talking to a friend. Our conversations never felt stuffy, disconnected, or judgmental - she was super supportive, compassionate, and kindly direct. I was able to gather the information I needed, but also gained even more confidence with our plan to freeze embryos for fertility preservation than before we met with Dr. Segal. She took the time to get to know me as a person, and I really appreciated that. I also found the support staff to be very helpful along the way. I want to make particular note that when I felt some extreme pain during the process, the nurses and staff took me seriously and aired on the side of caution - I never felt dismissed, brushed off, or like a nuisance. This made a great impact on my experience as a whole, and helped me gain trust throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
2mg estrace to start, then menopur+ ganal for 4-5 days, then the addition of cetrocide for another 4ish days, then the trigger injections. (I might have this wrong - it was a whirlwind...)
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kali, Rae, Eugene)
Overall, the nursing staff was great - although some were more approachable than others (I enjoyed working with Kali and Rae for the regular correspondence). I never had a message or call go unreturned, and they were often quick with their responses. Since there wasn't much face time with the Dr., I think it would have been nice to have one main designated nurse, and one backup nurse, to allow for some form of consistency. Throughout the procedure, I never got to see them in the office, and at times would end up speaking with other nursing staff that I was unfamiliar with. That being said, everyone I saw for my in person check-ins (blood draws, ultrasounds) were always incredibly kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I went with UCSF as they were the best fit for our insurance, and a couple friends had also recommended them. They both had the same forewarnings: you won't have one consistent Dr, and you have to be your own advocate when it comes to billing and the overall logistics. That being said, I would definitely return to UCSF for any future treatments, as I felt that everyone there was very knowledgeable and I trusted turning my body over to them (which I can have a lot of barriers around). One thing to note is that their billing department is a real pain to work with. I kept receiving bills to pay hundreds of dollars, but when I called to question why I was receiving the bill (as it should have been covered by Progyny, they told me I didn't have to actually pay it.) I'm still not 100% confident that we're in the clear in terms of money owed.
Unknown at this time

2020 - 2022, 22 Eggs Frozen
Dr Jaswa is incredibly warm and compassionate. UCSF is a teaching hospital so I didn't always get to see her...Nonetheless I felt like Dr Jaswa truly cared about how I was feeling, how I was responding to treatment, and how I felt about the outcomes...made herself available to answer questions. I never felt rushed when I spoke with her. I was disappointed in the number of eggs retrieved in my first cycle, so Dr Jaswa reviewed my medications and how I responded and proposed a new protocol for my second cycle, which was more successful...
This clinic [UCSF] is great for care, compassion, and expertise. I was happy with all the doctors and nurses that I interacted with. Likewise with anyone in reception. But the billing department is TERRIBLE...I am constantly getting billed for services I don't owe...don't blindly pay bills received from UCSF CRH. Take a close look and determine if you think you really owe it; push back if you think you don't...
How was your experience with Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF?
Dr Jaswa is compassionate and warm. She is patient and made herself available to answer questions. I never felt rushed when I spoke with her. I was disappointed in the number of eggs retrieved in my first cycle, so Dr Jaswa reviewed my medications and how I responded and proposed a new protocol for my second cycle, which was more successful (yay!).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF?
You probably won't get to see Dr Jaswa very often (due to the style of the UCSF clinic), but you should absolutely take advantage of the portal and send along all your questions to the care team. They'll get back to you, and if you have concerns that you'd like Dr Jaswa to address specifically, they will forward to her for her response.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF?
Dr Jaswa is incredibly warm and compassionate. UCSF is a teaching hospital so I didn't always get to see her; additionally, because of covid many of our visits were over Zoom. Nonetheless I felt like Dr Jaswa truly cared about how I was feeling, how I was responding to treatment, and how I felt about the outcomes.
Describe the protocols Eleni Greenwood Jaswa used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
1st protocol (age 33): A week following ovulation, I started estrogen patches (replaced patch once every 48 hours) until my period. Once I got my period, I went in for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork and then began injecting 150mg of Gonal F and 150mg of Menopur nightly. I was responding very quickly -- some of my follicles were growing much more quickly than others -- so by day 4 I started injecting cetrotide in the mornings to slow/prevent ovulation of the biggest follicles. I triggered on day 7 of medications with 5,000mg of Novarel/Pregnyl and 450mg of Gonal F. They retrieved 15 eggs, but 2 were too mature and 3 were immature, so they froze 10. 2nd protocol (age 35): Because my eggs hadn't really grown synchronously last time, resulting in too much dispersion in maturity, Dr. Jaswa suggested trying the lupron-down protocol to start my cycle. The idea was to better suppress my cycle at the start so that the follicles would grow together. This was more or less successful. One week following ovulation, I started injecting 10 units of Lupron nightly. On day 12, I went in for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork; I had one more night of Lupron injections and on day 13 I began injecting 150mg of Gonal F and 150mg of Menopur nightly. I went in for ultrasounds and blood work every couple days. Again, I was responding very quickly to medication, but this time my follicles at least were growing more in synch. I triggered on day 7 of medications with 10,000mg of Novarel/Pregnyl and 450mg of Gonal F. They retrieved 12 eggs and all were mature and frozen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
I worked most closely with Roshi, who was wonderful. Quick to respond to my portal messages and very sweet and compassionate. She answered most of my questions and directed a couple to Dr Jaswa when she wasn't sure.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
This clinic is great for care, compassion, and expertise. I was happy with all the doctors and nurses that I interacted with. Likewise with anyone in reception. But the billing department is TERRIBLE. They seem to be almost completely incompetent. Several examples: (1) the financial navigators don't actually tell you anything about how to help pay for your services. I found out through my nurse during my first cycle that ARC Fertility offers a pre-negotiated egg freezing package with UCSF that lowers the cost of the cycle to $7,100, compared to the $8,500+ I was being quoted by the billing department. Thank goodness she told me, or I'd never have known. I have a friend who also used UCSF and no one told her about ARC - I did. (2) I am constantly getting billed for services I don't owe. When I paid through ARC, ARC submitted a payment to UCSF to cover my cycle. Yet I continue to receive bills from UCSF for $2,000+. Advice for others: don't blindly pay bills received from UCSF CRH. Take a close look and determine if you think you really owe it; push back if you think you don't. (3) Multiple friends have been told that they couldn't charge their insurance for general office visits or consultations, paid out of pocket, and then had their insurance billed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eleni Greenwood Jaswa at UCSF.
Egg-freeze cycle: $7,117 (package through ARC Fertility which included monitoring appts, ultrasounds, retrieval, anesthesia, freezing + 5 years of storage) Medications: ~$3,800 (purchased through Alto Pharmacy)
Eleni Greenwood Jaswa

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Every time we talk to Dr. Noel, we both breathe a sigh of relief. She's incredibly compassionate but also can speak to the reality of the situation. She'll came up with new methods/protocols after our failed 3 cycles in 2021, figuring that it was better to start stims 5 days or so into my cycle and also switching to conventional IVF instead of ICSI for fertilization. She's really adaptable, isn't at all arrogant about her opinions, really a joy to work with...
[at UCSF] There's usually a bunch of patients ahead of you in the waiting rooms and the wait time for your appointment can be up to 45 minutes on some days. It makes it difficult if you have work meetings you have to plan around...$12000 per egg retrieval cycle (self-pay)...had a question about the trigger shot but didn't hear back [from nurse] till the next day. Luckily, we were able to figure it out on our own...
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Noel is the best doctor we've had, and we've talked to a dozen or so doctors/clinics at some of the "top clinics" in the US. She's has the right balance of warm, caring, but also sticking to recommendations that have evidence, and also being willing to suggest/try new methods if the previous cycle didn't work out. She was our biggest cheerleader throughout, and I was so happy that she was able to do one of my egg retrievals. She patted my leg as I was going under anesthesia which gave me a lot of comfort. We ended up with our first 2 fertilized embryos afterwards, unfortunately they didn't grow to Day 5 blasts. However, since then we've had 2 successful cycles with 2 fertilized embryos each and we have 4 embryos on ice finally after a year of egg retrievals. We really thank Dr. Noel for persisting and not giving up on us. She's also very responsive on the Patient Portal despite being swamped with so many patients. She usually responds within a day or two and gives a thorough response to our questions. And she's willing to jump on a video chat if she can't answer all your questions via a message.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
I think it helps to have tracked your previous cycles in the past and be able to speak clearly about what hasn't worked thus far with protocols and fertilization methods. Also, try to book video sessions with her to ask her any detailed questions you might have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We started off with lower doses of stims, but later on decided to wait a few days.4-5 before starting stims after the baseline ultrasound. My follicles sometimes didn't respond well since my own FSH was going up high and adding Gonal-F wasn't doing much at that time. So we kinda let my body do it's thing and then started adding in Gonal F at around 8mm follicle size, and then Menopur 75 IU when they got to 12mm size and then retrieved around 16mm or so. Then we used just conventional IVF for fertilization. My eggs are pretty fragile and didn't do well with ICSI. Results after 7 cycles with UCSF => 4 frozen Day 3 embryos. Going to try for another egg retrieval in the next 2 months and then FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga always seems to be in a rush/frazzled when you talk with her. Luckily, I didn't need too much instruction from her on shots, but I never got a sense that it'd be easy to ask her questions. We in fact had a question about the trigger shot but didn't hear back till the next day. Luckily, we were able to figure it out on our own.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is like a fertility mill. There's usually a bunch of patients ahead of you in the waiting rooms and the wait time for your appointment can be up to 45 minutes on some days. It makes it difficult if you have work meetings you have to plan around. At the same time, you get some great doctors like Dr. Noel. Billing can be a bit of a headache. It's difficult to figure out what insurance will cover sometimes and we'll get random statement notifications and trying to read their bill and reconcile it with their statements makes my head explode.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
$12000 per egg retrieval cycle (self-pay).
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Since we only have Day 3 embryos, we're gong to be transferring multiple embryos (5-6). The chances are low for each embryo at my age (5%) so the risk is pretty low for a twin pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
This was more in the initial visits, we had a long list of labs that both my husband and I had to get. I think that Thuy forgot to send in orders for some of them and so we had to figure that out and ask her to send the order for him. It was also a big hurdle to get an appointment with Dr. Smith the UCSF reproductive urologist, I think his waiting list last year was 2-3 months or something. Now that we've done so many cycles, things are going much more smoothly. I think the biggest issues were with onboarding us, getting all the labs done in the beginning. Maybe once there was an appointment snafu where they told me about an appointment that wasn't actually scheduled.

2021 - 2022, Successful
Doc Yanett Anaya always listened to me patiently. She would share her analysis and next steps. She was thorough in explaining what to do next and also explained why. She always took time to answer our questions...She prefers single and shared the risks and benefits...She is a bit passive in approach - we had to also do our due deligence and ask her for additional tests
UCSF is organized and has state of the art facilities. It is a bit difficult to get appointments - however the care team is really good. The team of nurses is also very caring and prompt. You may see different nurse every time, however, for our transfer we asked for our doctor to be present and the care team ensured that Doc Anaya only performed our transfer.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
she listens to her patients. UCSF as a clinic is really good and trustworthy. It is sometimes difficult to get an appointment asap. However, if needed urgent care is available. She is a bit passive in approach - we had to also do our due deligence and ask her for additional tests. She would share her analysis and hypothesis. She would also share the facts and data supporting why next steps are taken.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Yanett Anaya used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Frozen embryo transfer - first with natural cycle and second with medicated. She diagnosed endometriosis and took very aggressive measures before second transfer.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Yanett Anaya at UCSF.
It was covered by Progyny - however, we still paid like $10K out of pocket.
Describe Yanett Anaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
She prefers single and shared the risks and benefits.
Yanett Anaya

2022, Successful
We came in knowing very little and he [Dr. Paolo Rinaudo] took the time to explain and made sure we understood the process also gave us options. He was a very nice dr whom showed he cared and wanted us to walk out understanding the process...He suggested single If multiple embryos we can freeze and try one at a time... Was also very warm and caring. He walked us through the whole process and steps.
The [UCSF] front office is great very nice, his nurse however was rude not nice at all. After the first consultation they make sure to send you what you need to do next thru the portal and you can call the front office for any questions very organized professional and nice...We have just begun our process. We paid 440$ for the first initial consultation which included the ultrasound. It is very pricey but if that is what it takes for us to start our own family it is worth it.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
We came in knowing very little and he took the time to explain and made sure we understood the process also gave us options. He was a very nice dr whom showed he cared and wanted us to walk out understanding the process
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Write down all your questions because he is very good at explaining
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt like a human because he took the time to explain the procedure and what to expect and was very patient and thorough with his explanations. Was also very warm and caring. He walked us through the whole process and steps.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We had a consultation along with an ultrasound and he explained our options and explained the ultrasound results very thoroughly
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
She was rude and made us feel uncomfortable but the dr was great She was rude , and didn’t answer our questions and did not answer in comments Maybe she was having a bad day.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The front office is great very nice, his nurse however was rude not nice at all. After the first consultation they make sure to send you what you need to do next thru the portal and you can call the front office for any questions very organized professional and nice
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
He suggested single If multiple embryos we can freeze and try one at a time
Paolo Rinaudo

2021 - 2022, Successful
I saw Dr. Segal for unexplained secondary infertility. She did all the necessary testing and and performed a hysteroscopy on me before we moved forward with fertility treatments...very supportive, listened to me, answered all my questions and guided me in my decisions with her knowledge and experience...wish that I could continue my regular OB care with her and her team due to how well they took care of me.
UCSF Fertility has its own patient portal where you can send messages directly to your care team and the staff. They are quick to respond and make your appointments, send you documents and even had modules for each treatment I received that showed what to expect and how things would work...[nurse] even called me on one of her days off to make sure everything was ok.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I saw Dr. Segal for unexplained secondary infertility. She did all the necessary testing and and performed a hysteroscopy on me before we moved forward with fertility treatments. She was very supportive, listened to me, answered all my questions and guided me in my decisions with her knowledge and experience. I loved working with Dr. Segal and wish that I could continue my regular OB care with her and her team due to how well they took care of me.
My only advice to prospective patients is to get on the list to see her ASAP.
Dr. Segal and her team personally reached out to me on every occasion necessary. I had 2 procedures and they called me each day and the day after to check on me and how I was doing. I was able to speak with someone on her direct team each time I asked.
First I had a hysterosalpingography (HSG) to assess the status of my uterus and tubes after 2 years of infertility and an ectopic pregnancy. Then there was some irregularities on my initial ultrasound and I underwent a hysteroscopy to remove some tissue and scarring in my uterus. Next, together, we opted to attempt 1 IUI cycle before proceeding with IVF. I did 5 days on Clomid 100mg, had an ultrasound to count follicles. on Day 10 I did 1 trigger injection of Ovidrel 250mcg. Had the IUI on day 12. On day 14 I began using Endometrin 100mg vaginal inserts. 2 weeks after my IUI I received a positive pregnancy test and used Endometrin until my 10th week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
Anne is the best! She contacted me personally on many occasions to check on me after procedures, after a little bleeding scare I had. She even called me on one of her days off to make sure everything was ok.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
UCSF sent me an estimated amount for my IUI with my insurance we paid a considerably lower amount than estimated.

2020 - 2022, Unknown Success
two distinct phases of our treatment with UCSF. For the first half, we ended up just seeing whoever was available, which was quite frustrating since my partner had some anatomical irregularities that served as fresh challenges over and over...had to abort (and re-freeze) an embryo transfer because the (non-Dr. Segal) doctor couldn't get the catheter in, Dr. Segal started coordinating our visits with her working days, and the quality and personal care level went up by quite a bit.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Segal was very patient with our concerns, and we never felt rushed through our many questions. She also, once we had the failed transfer, added a stitch + string to make future transfers easier, which was very effective. She tends on the optimistic / "don't worry about it" side of things, but was also very sympathetic when we experienced setbacks. There was a lot of authenticity and Dr. Segal is up-to-date on research.
Same advice to give anybody with UCSF -- try to coordinate your visits with your primary doctor's shifts.
There were two distinct phases of our treatment with UCSF. For the first half, we ended up just seeing whoever was available, which was quite frustrating since my partner had some anatomical irregularities that served as fresh challenges over and over. After we had to abort (and re-freeze) an embryo transfer because the (non-Dr. Segal) doctor couldn't get the catheter in, Dr. Segal started coordinating our visits with her working days, and the quality and personal care level went up by quite a bit. At the same time, we also started getting a much better nurse (Laurel Poole) and coordinating team. As mentioned in other reviews, the "default" nursing team is hard to work with -- poor communicators.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF has top-quality doctors and extremely high-variance support from the coordinating team. I felt confident in the answers to my medical questions. UCSF also has a lot of supporting materials and resources if you know how to find them. For examples, when we moved to PIO, we were assigned an "injection coach" nurse who was great.
Describe Thalia Segal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Segal prefers single embryo transfer, but we did do a multiple embryo transfer after our first egg retrieval, which only yielded two embryos, one of which went through an unnecessary thaw-refreeze cycle.

2021 - 2022, Successful
I genuinely felt like Dr. Segal cared about me as a person and was rooting for my success...kind, caring, highly knowledgeable provider. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility in 2020 and got pregnant within a year and a half. I underwent two rounds of IVF with a successful pregnancy. I still have plenty of embryos in the bank for future pregnancies. I will definitely return to this provider for my second.
The fertility clinic [UCSF] is very well organized...You will not likely see your primary RE when you go in for appointments. Nurse practitioners perform IUIs and most of the monitoring appointments...MDs rotate for procedures...[nurse] always explained the protocols to me and was very empathetic...genuinely felt like Dr. Segal cared about me as a person and was rooting for my success.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Segal is a kind, caring, highly knowledgeable provider. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility in 2020 and got pregnant within a year and a half. I underwent two rounds of IVF with a successful pregnancy. I still have plenty of embryos in the bank for future pregnancies. I will definitely return to this provider for my second.
Understand that fertility treatments are not guaranteed. It's not the provider's fault when the result is unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kali)
Kali was an excellent nurse. She always explained the protocols to me and was very empathetic.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
MDs rotate for procedures. You will not likely see your primary RE when you go in for appointments. Nurse practitioners perform IUIs and most of the monitoring appointments. All providers at UCSF are excellent. The fertility clinic is very well organized.
Covered by insurance.
Fresh transfer with two embryos worked for me!
2018 - 2022, Successful
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Segal is very compassionate...She came up with a detailed plan and always explained the choices and potential options. I liked to ask a lot of specific questions and she always explained things in person or in follow up emails...[new patient advice] Ask questions and advocate for what you want. She will find a plan that works for you.
UCSF has a deep bench of doctors. They rotate care for procedures. Everyone I interacted with was kind. The nursing staff can be a little disorganzied, so sometimes you have to follow up, but they are responsive once you follow up...[Dr. Segal] came up with a detailed plan and always explained the choices and potential options. I liked to ask a lot of specific questions and she always explained things in person or in follow up emails
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Segal is fantastic. I would recommend her to anyone. She came up with a detailed plan and always explained the choices and potential options. I liked to ask a lot of specific questions and she always explained things in person or in follow up emails. I highly recommend her.
Dr. Segal is very compassionate. Always follows up and provides answers to all question.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Very friendly in person, but you often have to follow up on specific issues.

2017 - 2021, Successful
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Noel is really caring and thoughtful. She let us make decisions most of the time, but when it's time for her to guide us as a medical professional, she was convincing with reasoning...Given my age and number of embryos we could transfer, we had to be very careful not loosing any chances. Her approach reflected the situation and she didn't waste any of our resources. I'm sure she would treat differently for different patients. I believe out plan was coordinated by her based on our specific situation....
The nurses [at UCSF] are friendly and they are good at what they are doing. The front desk staffs are kind as well. If you think of a big hospital such as UCSF, you might think that you may not get personal touch. We never felt that way. By having many staffs and nurses, they were really efficient and available. All you need is a designated doctor and his/her team....
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
When we were in her office before the treatment, she was very clear explaining the medical situation as well as the treatments we get. After those visits, we had a good explanation of what we are dealing with, so there was no uncertainty. Fertility treatment takes time and nobody can guarantee the outcome. The important aspect is for the doctor to be with us along the way and we feel Dr. Noel did that exactly.
Dr. Noel is really caring and thoughtful. She let us make decisions most of the time, but when it's time for her to guide us as a medical professional, she was convincing with reasoning. In one of the embryo transfer session, she held my feet and wished the best sincerely. Regardless of the outcome, I was truly touched. And yes I got pregnant in that transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga, Thuy)
When you plan for IUI or IVF especially the first time, there are so many medications to deal with, so many schedules to follow up, and so many... everything. For the given task, Olga was really efficient and good at moving the schedule forward. She was there whenever we needed her for medical questions via phone or email. Thuy is really friendly and compassionate. We still remember how we were greeted by her when we had visited the hospital. That warm welcome was such a relief in those stressful environment where you have to deal with IUI and IVF.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The nurses are friendly and they are good at what they are doing. The front desk staffs are kind as well. If you think of a big hospital such as UCSF, you might think that you may not get personal touch. We never felt that way. By having many staffs and nurses, they were really efficient and available. All you need is a designated doctor and his/her team.
2021, Successful
Dr. Thalia explained every step and future plans with me and my partner very clearly. She is very approachable and was very positive. I remember she told me every pregnancy is a miracle and I would believe that always. She had the right plan for me. I had a small surgery and she is such an expert that I recovered very fast and it was pretty smooth.
Great clinic. They communicated very well and they were approachable. I would recommend them always. UCSF has big infrastructure and they have experienced doctors and equipments. The nurses and coordinators are well knowledgeable and communicate well...Dr. Thalia was understanding and made sure she explained everything well
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Thalia was understanding and made sure she explained everything well. I recovered very fast from a surgery because she is such an expert. She was positive and I will never forget that she told me on my first visit that every pregnancy is a miracle.
Any fertility journey is difficult but have patience along with the doctor. Trust her and her plans. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Dr. Thalia explained every step and future plans with me and my partner very clearly. She is very approachable and was very positive. I remember she told me very pregnancy is a miracle and I would believe that always. She had the right plan for me. I had a small surgery and she is such an expert that I recovered very fast and it was pretty smooth.

2019 - 2021, Successful
UCSF definitely sees a lot of patients but I always felt like I had the full attention of my doctor [Dr. Thalia Segal]. I appreciate her taking the time to get to know my perspective and explain concepts to me. She even called me directly multiple times to clarify asks...I had complete trust in her expertise and competence and felt heard in my concerns and questions. I never felt rushed or dismissed.
UCSF is a top research hospital. They’re on the cutting edge of fertility and genetics research, which is why I sought them out. The trade off of that is that their staff are all researchers in addition to practitioners. This means potential for less consistency in care, or more requirement for you to navigate a big system. Almost every person I encountered at UCSF was kind, professional, and extremely competent.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I have only fantastic things to say about Dr. Segal. I had complete trust in her expertise and competence and felt heard in my concerns and questions. I never felt rushed or dismissed. UCSF does have an on call model, but I knew this going in. I expected to see multiple physicians— all of whom were of top caliber and very warm— but Dr. Segal always followed up with me directly.
Not sure.
UCSF definitely sees a lot of patients but I always felt like I had the full attention of my doctor. I appreciate her taking the time to get to know my perspective and explain concepts to me. She even called me directly multiple times to clarify asks.
Saline sonogram revealed a polyp, which was removed via out patient procedure. Elevated hormones revealed potential thyroid issue now managed with medication. My husband and I naturally conceived the cycle after polypectomy, so we assume that was a major contributor. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a missed miscarriage. Because of the time sensitive nature (fear of ectopic), another on call doctor performed the procedure, but Dr Segal called me multiple times that weekend to check in. I then conceived again the next cycle. Between the thyroid and the polyp, I believe Dr. Segal has helped me resolve my fertility issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kali )
Kali was an amazing support during my two back to back pregnancies (first one non viable). She and I checked in nearly every day while going through the confusion of a possible ectopic and ultimate MMC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
I am very fortunate that my insurance covered all of my treatment and would have covered any IVF cycles had we taken that path. There is a billing coordinator you can talk to about all the details.
It’s my understanding UCSF recommends single transfer as it is safer. I didn’t push for more details.
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Segal was very respectful and genuine...We mostly had video calls and [she] would listen to my concerns and answer my questions. I never felt rushed...During [the two months the clinic was closed during Covid], Dr. Segal prescribed me clomid so we can keep trying on our own. Later my protocol switched to only menopur for 5 days then IUI at the clinic...[she] treated my husband and I as her patients the moment we met her
When you do self pay, you pay the entire cycle upfront but UCSF would only charge you the stage you go through. If the cycle stops at a certain point before egg retrieval, you can have the remainder applied to the next cycle...Everyone at the fertility clinic was very nice but I can tell that they were very busy. There were a few times where we had to sign the same paperwork multiple times because it got lost. Eventually we learned to take a picture of it so that we can quickly send it off in case that couldn’t find it
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I had consulted with 3 not-so-nice doctors/clinics before meeting with Dr.Segal at UCSF. The 3 doctors/clinics either talked to me like a sales pitch or brushed me off insinuating that I would lower their success rate. Therefore by that point, aside from seeking for help, I also just wanted someone to be kind to us. Dr. Segal treated my husband and I as her patients the moment we met her. She was so compassionate, explained the process to us clearly, was easy to talk to, and most importantly— I can tell that she wanted to help us achieve our baby goals. She got the ball rolling the day of consultation. Nurses drew blood and listed out the medication I’ll need. Dr. Segal gave us the cliff notes on how to navigate and follow up with their clinic. Essentially, she also told us to be patient but yet follow up with the staff. Additionally, she told us that it was usually the people who stayed persistent who saw success. That really helped set expectations for us — and when things got tough, we reminded each other to stay persistent.
Be mindful that everyone at the clinic is very busy. Be patient with the staff but also stay organized. I was constantly on top of scheduling my appointments, making sure I don’t have any payments outstanding with finance dept (it can delay your treatment), and make sure the nurses have sent the medication authorization to your pharmacy. Also, Dr.Segal is busy. When I don’t hear back in 1-2 days (pending the urgency), I’ve had to follow up and ask someone to check if Dr. Segal has seen my request.
Dr. Segal was very respectful and genuine. It always felt like I talking to a friend. We mostly had video calls and Dr. Segal would listen to my concerns and answer my questions. I never felt rushed.
My protocol was lead in with estrace then gonal-f + menopur injections each night for about 5 days. The clinic shut down for 2 months during the beginning of the pandemic in 2020. During this time, Dr. Segal prescribed me clomid so we can keep trying on our own. Later my protocol switched to only menopur for 5 days then IUI at the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anne Garcillano and Eugenia Gonzalez)
Everyone at the fertility clinic was very nice but I can tell that they were very busy. There were a few times where we had to sign the same paperwork multiple times because it got lost. Eventually we learned to take a picture of it so that we can quickly send it off in case that couldn’t find it. Other than that, all the nurses were always professional and very pleasant. Anne would take the time out to chat with me when she calls to schedule my next appointment. Going through fertility treatment can get emotionally exhausting. Anne was very sweet in cheering me on and kept me motivated.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Our insurance doesn’t cover IVF so I feel very fortunate to have UCSF offer lower cost treatments. When you do self pay, you pay the entire cycle upfront but UCSF would only charge you the stage you go through. If the cycle stops at a certain point before egg retrieval, you can have the remainder applied to the next cycle. UCSF is also my primary hospital and overall my experience has been very positive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
Our insurance allowed up to 6 IUI treatments but didn’t cover IVF and medication. Unfortunately I don’t remember the exact cost but I do remember that UCSF IVF were the lowest compared to the other clinics. You pay the entire cycle upfront but UCSF would only charge you the stage you go through. If the cycle stops at a certain point before egg retrieval, you can have the remainder applied to the next cycle. Fertility medication is in addition to the cycle cost. My medication for IVF and stimulated IUI cost around $7-9k each cycle. We did 2 IVF cycles and 5 IUI cycles.
We didn’t have this discussion.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had to follow up a few times to get someone to send my medication to my pharmacy. There are a few times when the timing was very tight. Luckily my pharmacy (which my nurse recommended) does same day delivery.

2019 - 2021, Successful
The first time we met Dr Segal, we know that we are in good hands. She was very patient with us and explained to my husband and I our options and a good plan to on how to move forward with our situation...We may have some set backs during the egg retrieval, but those are uncontrolled set backs. I was already losing hope, but [she] was very supportive and she gave us hope...
Everyone [at UCSF] is so nice, accomodating despite the busy schedules (at times) and they were all pleasant. From the front desk, to the nurses, np's and doctors, everyone is nice and friendly. I did not have any issues at all. We were very well accomodated and assisted. Even the answering service during after hours was very good. Overall we had a great experience with our clinic.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
As a patient of Dr Segal, I would say I am lucky to have her as my fertility doctor. We may have some set backs during the egg retrieval, but those are uncontrolled set backs. I was already losing hope, but Dr segal was very supportive and she gave us hope, she was one of those people who encouraged us not to loose hope and to give it another try.
Just prepare yourself, and be ready for anything, yet stay hopeful since you have a great doctor.
The first time we met Dr Segal, we know that we are in good hands. She was very patient with us and explained to my husband and I our options and a good plan to on how to move forward with our situation. She was understanding and very helpful as well, we were at ease and confident she will take good care of us.
Sorry, I cannot remember thoroughly all the specifics of my treatments that were done. The first egg retrieval took longer than expected since most of my eggs were behind. 9 eggs were retrieved, 2 were tested but were not viable. Second egg retrieval had to be halted midway, since my eggs were not responding and I did not produce much eggs. The 3rd egg retrieval resulted to 9 eggs, 4 tested and 3 were viable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
Our primary nurse was the best. During this ivf journey, she was with us all the way. She was very compassionate, understanding, and she would try to get back to me as soon as she can whenever I have queries and concern. I could have not asked for a better nurse since we were lucky to have her.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I had a wonderful experience at my clinic. Everyone is so nice, accomodating despite the busy schedules (at times) and they were all pleasant. From the front desk, to the nurses, np's and doctors, everyone is nice and friendly. I did not have any issues at all. We were very well accomodated and assisted. Even the answering service during after hours was very good. Overall we had a great experience with our clinic.
I was under Arc Financing
San Francisco

Dr. Anaya always followed up with us on all things IVF but also on procedures or events that were unrelated. She has been caring and honest...She has adjusted treatments to make us more successful (I.e. adjusted hormone dosage during 2nd egg retrieval, had me do an endometrial biopsy to see if endometriosis was present to treat during COVID-19 pause). She could have been more thorough with getting to the endometriosis diagnosis in the front end and not after a failed embryo transfer.
I got an endometrial biopsy [at UCSF] (which was incredibly painful) to determine if treatment for endometriosis was an option. A protein associated with endo was present so now I’m taking 2 monthly Lupron shots to slow down the endo and hopefully have a successful transfer in a few months...The staff really is top notch. Everyone from the receptionists, to the nurses to the MDs are great. I always feel very cared for when there. Your primary Dr will most likely not be the one doing the follicle ultrasounds or retrievals/transfers but we were always in excellent hands. We have seen our primary Dr in person once. Our approach as patients has been of trust so we’ve had a very decent experience.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Dr. Anaya has been very caring and open with us. She has adjusted treatments to make us more successful (I.e. adjusted hormone dosage during 2nd egg retrieval, had me do an endometrial biopsy to see if endometriosis was present to treat during COVID-19 pause). She could have been more thorough with getting to the endometriosis diagnosis in the front end and not after a failed embryo transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Be very thorough with your symptoms and do your research before the meeting/call with her as she’s great about debunking info and creating a treatment plan that everyone is comfortable with.
For the 2 egg retrievals, we yielded 43 eggs that became 4 embryos. The first transfer was 21 to 1 embryo which is why we opted for a 2nd round in which she modified one of the hormone doses (increased, forgot which one) and we had 22 to 3 embryos. We’ve only had 1 transfer which was unsuccessful and we don’t really know why so, during this pause, I got an endometrial biopsy (which was incredibly painful) to determine if treatment for endometriosis was an option. A protein associated with endo was present so now I’m taking 2 monthly Lupron shots to slow down the endo and hopefully have a successful transfer in a few months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: There have been a few: Kat and Cheryl are the ones I remember )
Cheryl is not the most organized (made us bring paperwork in unnecessarily once) but responds very promptly and was very compassionate when she had to call and let me know the embryo transfer had failed.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Yanett Anaya at UCSF.
My insurance through work has covered most of my treatments. I have paid for some medicines, the genetic testing for my husband and I and the endometrial biopsy out of pocket (under 5k).
From what I’ve gathered, at UCSF they prefer to do single embryo transfers since the likelihood of a live birth (our goal) is higher.
Yanett Anaya
San Francisco

Dr Noel was very warm during our initial consultation. She also called me personally when we needed to cancel my first IUI cycle because I "over responded" to the Letrazole...I don't think she was aggressive enough in my first set of treatments given my age and how many children I wanted. When I got a second option, the new Dr (who I prefer) told me she never would have started with fertility meds only without including IUI. I also had to cancel a cycle which I disagreed with (and the new Dr did also)
Communication was slow and difficult [at UCSF]. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely...is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Martha Noel is lovely and great at explaining things but for me she was too conservative/risk averse.
Letrazole 2.5mg for 3 months, then increase Letrazole + IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Communication was slow and difficult. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF CRH is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
1st Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $1800! (through Progyny and I hadn't met my deductible so I paid the crazy insurance rate) 2nd and 3rd Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $450 each b/c I paid out of pocket - basically paid for one ultrasound appointment
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
1) I had a progesterone blood test to confirm ovulation and came back as 0 (did not ovulate) when I know I had. I demanded they run it again and it came back 26 (did ovulate) 2) I've had to call/email to get results of tests and/or inquire about my next protocol 3) I've had to call/email multiple times to get Rx's phoned in
San Francisco

Dr. Huddleston sticks with evidence based practice. If there isn't a lot of research on it, she doesn't recommend it. If you're interested in some super new, cutting edge approach you'll have to bring it to the table yourself. She generally sticks with the tried and true fertility treatments...checked in with me personally by either scheduling an office chat or a simple phone call...She did encourage us to transfer 2 fresh embryos
[UCSF] is a big clinic. Very difficult to get an appointment and their initial onboarding paperwork and insurance stuff was such a nightmare. I almost gave up before I started. However- once you complete your initial consult, you're like family there...there are tons of appointment times and chances for procedures, tests etc...She [the nurse] was great with emailing back promptly and answering my million questions. My only complaint is the fact that I didn't get to meet her in person until after my egg retrieval when I was prepping for FET
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Every meeting along the way has felt like a friendly conversation. She asks what I'm thinking/feeling about the next step. I share my concerns and questions. She offers a breakdown of the options with the pros and cons of each option. My husband and I side chat for a minute while she waits patiently. She always tells us to think it over and email her our decision about anything. I always feel important to her and I feel like she genuinely cares about us and wants us to succeed. She is a big reason I've decided to keep going on this difficult journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Dr. Huddleston sticks with evidence based practice. If there isn't a lot of research on it, she doesn't recommend it. If you're interested in some super new, cutting edge approach you'll have to bring it to the table yourself. She generally sticks with the tried and true fertility treatments. Which honestly is reassuring because I never felt like I was one of her experiments or getting unsold on fancy extras. She's an awesome doctor with amazing bedside manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
Throughout my IVF journey, Dr. Huddleston has checked in with me personally by either scheduling an office chat or a simple phone call. When I hit an emotional road block and sent a crazy emotional email to the clinic saying I didn't want to do another cycle that month, she called me to ask how I was doing and what was going on that changed my mind. I was so touched- I asked her, "did you really just call to check on me?" She said "pretty much!". She's repeatedly encouraged me to do self-care and acknowledged how difficult this journey is.
Describe the protocols Heather Huddleston used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We did estrogen patches for 7 days leading up to the egg retrieval month. Started injections on cycle day 1 (gonal F 150units, menopur daily). Office ultrasounds were cycle days 1,5,7. On cycle day 7 I began cetrotide in the morning. I then had ultrasounds days 9, 10, 11. Triggered with HCG on day 11. Egg retrieval was on day 13.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
She was great with emailing back promptly and answering my million questions. My only complaint is the fact that I didn't get to meet her in person until after my egg retrieval when I was prepping for FET. Lab techs are all very nice and professional. Front desk folks are warm and kind. Everyone is really great at CRH.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
It is a big clinic. Very difficult to get an appointment and their initial onboarding paperwork and insurance stuff was such a nightmare. I almost gave up before I started. However- once you complete your initial consult, you're like family there. Its nice that its a big clinic because there are tons of appointment times and chances for procedures, tests etc. The facility is clean, peaceful, and modern. There is a nice restaurant/ bar within the building which makes for a great pit stop when you're not pregnant! Ha :)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Huddleston at UCSF.
$12,800 for egg retrieval + ICSI $1,800 for embryo biopsy $2,000 PGS testing (ending up being free because of a study) $350 for injection meds $3,400 for frozen embryo transfer
Describe Heather Huddleston's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We were very firm about doing single embryo transfer. (We only had 2 frozen pgs normal embryos total). She was totally fine with this and never pushed us. On our second IVF cycle, we decided we would do a fresh transfer. She did encourage us to transfer 2 fresh embryos. I told her I was still very against transferring 2. She was fine with my decision but did tell me it would take longer for me to get pregnant.
Heather Huddleston

2016 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Martha Noel] She was extremely collaborative with the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. She was very easy to talk to directly and helped to make it so I got to see when I came into the office. I also felt in-the-know and bought-into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical."
[UCSF is] Pretty easy to great appointments. Nice facility. Quite accessible in the city. Weaknesses were some of the nurses...[nurses] they got some information wrong when sharing our status with embryos, and they were not good communicators...When other doctors were recommending the typical program, Dr Noel got creative and suggested different mediations and process changes.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Noel was a joy to work with. She was compassionate, professional, thoughtful and extremely wise. She made it clear that she was in our corner and would do all that she could to help us succeed and help us manage a stressful situation. She was extremely collaborative with the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. She was very easy to talk to directly and helped to make it so I got to see when I came into the office. I also felt in-the-know and bought-into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical." When other doctors were recommending the typical program, Dr Noel got creative and suggested different mediations and process changes. Sure enough, it worked thanks to her great advice and we now have two absolutely beautiful girls!! Lastly, there were times where we had issues with the nursery. Dr Noel took great care with this, too. She took feedback and coached the nurses to make sure we were well taken care of. It was greatly appreciated. I can't recommend Dr Noel highly enough. She was a hero and we greatly appreciate all that she did for us. Frankly, even if it didn't work out, I would still be a fan b/c it was clear just how much she cared and how hard she worked!
Definitely work wth Dr Noel if you can!
Dr Noel was a joy to work with. She was compassionate, professional, thoughtful and extremely wise. She made it clear that she was in our corner and would do all that she could to help us and help us manage stressful situations. She was extremely collaborative w2ith the process—always explaining (as much as I liked) how things work and what our options were. I also felt in-the-know and bought into decisions. Moreover, she was really personable—always checking in with us as humans, and making sure we were doing the right thing for us vs what's "typical."
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
We had some issue with the nurses -- they got some information wrong when sharing our status with embryos, and they were not good communicators (they acted like I should know how everything works even though I didn't).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Dr Noel was the best. Strongly recommend working with her. Pretty easy to great appointments. Nice facility. Quite accessible in the city. Weaknesses were some of the nurses. Would use them again if I needed to.
already wrote about it

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I'm sure he's [Dr. Mitch Rosen] well educated and knows things in his field. But he seems way to busy for patient care. He is head of the lab at UCSF, and he's helping with some other new clinic out of the country, so patient care is not his priority. If you have a pretty straightforward case, you'll do well on a standard protocol. But I wouldn't expect him to turn over every stone to help you get pregnant
If you think this is a big clinic with a lot of established processes that will take care of your treatment, you're wrong. They [UCSF] do have a lot of processes, but they don't follow them a lot of times, or the process is super clunky. You will need to manage your own care, basically, stay on top of every appointment, every prescription, every test result. it's a lot of work (and you're still paying them a lot of money).
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
I'm sure he's well educated and knows things in his field. But he seems way to busy for patient care. He is head of the lab at UCSF, and he's helping with some other new clinic out of the country, so patient care is not his priority. If you have a pretty straightforward case, you'll do well on a standard protocol. But I wouldn't expect him to turn over every stone to help you get pregnant
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Interactions with Dr Rosen: I was put on a protocol that seems very common for women with diminished ovarian reserves (know of several people that are doing exactly the same). There was little follow-up after each procedure, some none, sometimes a 5 min phone call. Little analysis on what went well and what went poorly in the cycle. After several cycles and after they missed ovulation on one of my cycles, i escalated the situation big time, he got more attentive after that, but it still remains to be seen if that continues. Every time I ask what else could we be doing to improve my chances, his answer is "just keep doing what you're doing", i.e. he's not readily engaging in the conversation and just wants the phone call to be over with quickly. And given the low success rate so far and the cost, "keep doing what you're doing" is not a good advice. His nurse, Liz Gomes, is fantastic
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
IUIs with clomid; full IVF with menopur and Gona, ganirelixl and trigger shot; mini-IVFs with gonal only, ganirelix and trigger shot
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes is great and one of the two reasons I'm still with UCSF (the second reason is cheap meds). However, with the rest of nursing staff, you can have a hit or a miss. It's always a different person who does your appointments, different person who calls with you results and next steps etc. And the clerical/ admin staff at UCSF is absolutely TERRIBLE and incompetent: they mess up a $5K payment, they mess up your medical records, they give you wrong information about COVID protocol, they don't respect your privacy, and few of them are just simply rude/ snappish to patients (they clearly just don't want to be there)
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Very poorly organized. If you think this is a big clinic with a lot of established processes that will take care of your treatment, you're wrong. They do have a lot of processes, but they don't follow them a lot of times, or the process is super clunky. You will need to manage your own care, basically, stay on top of every appointment, every prescription, every test result. it's a lot of work (and you're still paying them a lot of money). The clerical/ admin staff at UCSF is absolutely TERRIBLE and incompetent: they mess up a $5K payment, they mess up your medical records, they give you wrong information about COVID protocol, they don't respect your privacy, they can't account for the sperm vials you had delivered to them, and few of them are just simply rude/ snappish to patients (they clearly just don't want to be there). Add to that a buggy and badly laid out communication portal (even after 2 upgrades in the last 2 years, it's still rubbish), having to go through several switch operators on the phone, and no one ever picking up the phone in the admin side. The list goes on and on
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
Self-pay cost, no insurance coverage: - 2K for IUI - 6K for mini-stim IVF with cryo preservation/ no transfer - 15K for a full IVF with cryo/ no transfer - 4K for frozen transfer
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
They seem to be very strongly preferring singleton pregnancies. Every time I mention that twins are ok, he cringes.
See above
San Francisco

[Dr. Mitch Rosen's] preference is eSET but given I had two failed ones, on my third transfer, doctor was ok putting in two...took the time to go through any questions my husband and I had. I would say though that you need to be prepared with questions and to advocate for yourself. He will not "handhold" you through the process so I can see where people may feel like a number. Do some of your own research and with that he will provide you with more information that you probably want/need.
She [nurse at UCSF] is on top of it! Extremely knowledgable, caring and accessible! UCSF is so lucky to have her!...Doctor's and UCSF preference is eSET but given I had two failed ones, on my third transfer, doctor was ok putting in two...Monitoring appointments are a well oiled machine. I was usually in and out within 15 minutes (bloodwork and ultrasound). I could always get in a time convenient for me...A full fresh cycle is around $16k, excluding medications. A frozen cycle is around $4k, excluding medications. My second and third retrievals were covered by insurance.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Dr. Rosen is very direct and will tell provide you with pros/cons and options. He first tries to understand what your objectives are to provide better answers for you. If you are looking for someone warm and fuzzy, this may not be the right doctor for you, but if you are looking to achieve an outcome and care a little less about the bedside manner (not that it is bad at all), this is the doctor for you. He would keep us in our place when we tried to ask about a backup plan and would have us focus on Plan A only. Dr. Rosen is the best, if not one of the best at UCSF, and am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be his patient. I couldn't recommend him more and hope when we plan for a second child, he will still be there to guide us again through our journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Be prepared with questions and do some of your own research. Advocate for yourself if something is important to you.
Dr. Rosen took the time to go through any questions my husband and I had. I would say though that you need to be prepared with questions and to advocate for yourself. He will not "handhold" you through the process so I can see where people may feel like a number. Do some of your own research and with that he will provide you with more information that you probably want/need.
I did my first egg retrieval cycle with estrace priming and then gonal f/menopur. I was reacting quite well to the medication so my dosage changed quite a bit. Although I yielded a good number of eggs (I think around 26), only 2 made it through PGS testing. Had two single embryo transfers, using medicated cycle (given my periods are irregular). Both failed. Did an hysteroscopy and everything was fine. Did an ERA test and also came back normal. This was followed by a second egg retrieval cycle, primed with birth control so that the eggs would grow closer in size compared to the first cycle. Gonal f lower does and menopur. Went for 14 days vs 10 in first cycle. Worked well. Had 33 eggs of which 8 embryos were PGS normal. We did a third cycle insurance was helping to cover the 2nd and 3rd cycle and did the exact same protocol as second egg retrieval but had completely different results. 21 eggs of which only 2 PGS embryos resulted. I honestly think the difference in results was due to lifestyle (much more stressed during this cycle). So have 10 embryos banked. Given two failed FETs, transferred two embryos (one day 5 and one day 6 embryo) and success (at least for now)!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes is the best nurse! She is on top of it! Extremely knowledgable, caring and accessible! UCSF is so lucky to have her!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a teaching hospital so you have to know that you will not see the same people during each visit. That being said, they seem to be well coordinated and any questions I had during a visit that wasn't with my primary team, was always answered well. The facility itself is nice and calm. I was living in NYC and went to another fertility clinic for IUI's and that was not calm at all and felt more like a sausage factory. I've heard some issues with billing at UCSF, but personally I haven't had any issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
I paid out of pocket my first cycle. A full fresh cycle is around $16k, excluding medications. A frozen cycle is around $4k, excluding medications. My second and third retrievals were covered by insurance.

2018 - 2020, Successful
He [Dr. Mitch Rosen] was able to comprehensively assess our case & then fine tune our IVF protocol to produce results that we were not able to achieve until then. We went from feeling like we may very well not be able to conceive at all to having many healthy embryos now “in the bank” and will be attempting implantation for pregnancy soon. Dr. Rosen was very conscientious about answering all of our questions and also incorporated our own preferences and input. We are immensely grateful to Dr. Rosen and so very lucky to have been able to work with him. September 2020 UPDATE: Our fertility journey was very long and challenging, but Dr. Rosen guided us through and now we are pregnant!!! He and his clinical nurse manager Liz Gomes were extraordinary. They have been so smart, caring, patient, professional and supportive. We could not have been in better hands.
Be aware that while in-cycle, on weekends you might work with RE Fellows rather than directly with an Attending [at UCSF]...We also saw two Nurse Practitioners, Katrina and Stephanie, several times throughout the course of treatment. Both Katrina and Stephanie were fantastic. All of the nurses, techs and front desk staff at CRH (especially Maria!) have been really warm and kind. We have felt that they are genuinely rooting for us, which made all the difference while going through such an emotionally and physically taxing journey. We also worked with Annie, assistant to Dr. Rosen, at the beginning stages before starting our cycles. Annie was incredible. She was extremely organized, thorough, remarkable with follow through and had a great sense of humor throughout it all!
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
We ended up going to several different fertility clinics in the Bay Area (we met with six different REs across five centers) as it was difficult to find a good match and our case turned out to be much more challenging than we expected. Without a doubt we can say that Dr. Rosen has been the best for us to work with and is a brilliant physician. While there are many exceptional centers & physicians offering IVF in the Bay Area, it is evident that Dr. Rosen is not only one of the most academically accomplished reproductive endocrinologists nationally but he is also an outstanding clinician. He was able to comprehensively assess our case & then fine tune our IVF protocol to produce results that we were not able to achieve until then. We went from feeling like we may very well not be able to conceive at all to having many healthy embryos now “in the bank” and will be attempting implantation for pregnancy soon. Dr. Rosen was very conscientious about answering all of our questions and also incorporated our own preferences and input. We are immensely grateful to Dr. Rosen and so very lucky to have been able to work with him. September 2020 UPDATE: Our fertility journey was very long and challenging, but Dr. Rosen guided us through and now we are pregnant!!! He and his clinical nurse manager Liz Gomes were extraordinary. They have been so smart, caring, patient, professional and supportive. We could not have been in better hands.
Be aware that while in-cycle, on weekends you might work with RE Fellows rather than directly with an Attending.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
Liz Gomes has been our nurse and main clinical point person while working with Dr. Rosen. Liz has been outstanding and is a true gem. It was a gift to work with her. She is caring, extremely knowledgeable, professional, ever patient and super warm. We also saw two Nurse Practitioners, Katrina and Stephanie, several times throughout the course of treatment. Both Katrina and Stephanie were fantastic. All of the nurses, techs and front desk staff at CRH (especially Maria!) have been really warm and kind. We have felt that they are genuinely rooting for us, which made all the difference while going through such an emotionally and physically taxing journey. We also worked with Annie, assistant to Dr. Rosen, at the beginning stages before starting our cycles. Annie was incredible. She was extremely organized, thorough, remarkable with follow through and had a great sense of humor throughout it all!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is unique from all of private fertility centers in that it is a public university and therefore intentions and motivations are very different. We started our fertility treatment at a private fertility center in San Francisco thinking there were numerous advantages over UCSF. After several second opinions, we eventually ended up back at UCSF because of Dr. Mitchell Rosen. We were surprised and thankful to find out that UCSF was superior in many ways to the private (MUCH more expensive - we paid out of pocket for all treatment!) fertility clinics.
All out of pocket
San Francisco

Dr. Noel has incredible bed side manner and importantly, it is natural. It's a part of who she is to be kind and compassionate. I received personal phone calls from her whenever there was sensitive information and she is always willing for follow up calls and appointments...Dr.Noel recommended to only transfer one due to my fertility. After a miscarriage the first transfer, my partner and I requested to do multiple embryo transfer and while she did not advise due to the higher likelihood of a twin pregnancy and the challenges of that, she allowed us to pursue this.
UCSF is world class. The clinic looks world class, the spacing of rooms- felt comfortable and compassionate, and you never had to wait for your appt...Olga and nursing staff were so PROMPT. They always provided results, next step info, scheduling etc exactly when they said they were going to. I never had to worry about when I would hear back - they were on top of it
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr.Noel was out second fertility doctor we saw. The first one was at another clinic and had zero bed side manner and made us feel terrible. When I called UCSF the first time, I said, can you get me an appointment with your most compassionate doctor, the one with the most bedside manner. The clinic receptionist said, oh thats dr. noel - and she was right. I always felt like I was in kind hands and, that didn't mean she sugar coated the odds or the process - but rather, she soberly gave the information with an air of collaboration and support. the first time we transferred, I miscarried, and she was graceful with my loss. The next time, she transferred two and while she shared the upside and downside of transferring two - suggesting we do not do that due to my younger age and higher likelihood of both embryos taking - she ultimately was a yes to us doing it when we requested it. I did get pregnant with both embryos and lost one at 9 weeks. I now have a healthy, beautiful baby girl!! My gratitude for Dr. Noel is endless
Ask front desk for dr.noel is you are looking for a compassionate doctor
Dr. Noel has incredible bed side manner and importantly, it is natural. It's a part of who she is to be kind and compassionate. I received personal phone calls from her whenever there was sensitive information and she is always willing for follow up calls and appointments. I felt like she was a friend, who had my best interest at heart. She never made herself the knower and me the patient - all the information was shared and then we collaborated next steps.
We went through a round of IVF and we were able to harvest 25 eggs via the treatment protocol dr.noel followed. We ultimately got 5, five day embryos and I got pregnant on each transfer. I miscarried after the first transfer and then was pregnant and had a full term, healthy pregnancy after the second.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga and nursing staff were so PROMPT. They always provided results, next step info, scheduling etc exactly when they said they were going to. I never had to worry about when I would hear back - they were on top of it.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is world class. The clinic looks world class, the spacing of rooms- felt comfortable and compassionate, and you never had to wait for your appt. You were in when it was your time. It is super clean and you felt that people enjoyed what they were doing
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
I was 34 years old and Dr.Noel recommended to only transfer one due to my fertility. After a miscarriage the first transfer, my partner and I requested to do multiple embryo transfer and while she did not advise due to the higher likelihood of a twin pregnancy and the challenges of that, she allowed us to pursue this.
San Francisco

[Dr. Segal] was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself...She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications...
UCSF treats you like a number. It's a volume shop that will batch you up, meaning you need to take birth control and go through the gates of generalized infection classes and another class that may not have much to do with your own care...The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
She was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself. Because of her error, she greenlighted my injections without coordinating with the anesthesiologist who ultimately was extremely alarmist about my baseline health and she decided to cancel my cycle instead of working with him towards a solution.
Make sure that any abnormal health history from your labwork is thoroughly reviewed and discussed prior to proceeding with the cost and effort of IVF.
Her support staff was extremely rude and callous, even making me cry during a procedure confirmation of the legal documents. She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications and poor teamwork with the anesthesiologist which caused my cycle to be canceled after months of working with her and over a week of wasted injections and appointments.
Gonal F 125 IU + Menopur 75 IU SQ ; Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Eugenia Gonzalez; Anne Garcillano)
The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly. Eugenia is particularly uncaring and bad, she was so unclear about consents that she claimed that 99% of the patients mess it up with no sense of self-awareness that it because of her poor communication. My previous care coordinator had been fired due to incompetence as well.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Would only do elective single embryo transfer
San Francisco
Dr. Noel has a warm manner during consultations, offers good explanations and recommendations, while treating me like an intelligent partner. I'm not yet sure if she is adapting her treatment recommendations appropriately for me to get results, as I am still in the midst of treatment. Her coordinating staff and nurses, however, were always very rushed, and created additional stress in the process as they often seemed more focused on checking everything off their list than supporting me or providing information to me through the process.
I chose UCSF in large part because their donor egg program offered options that met my criteria - including some open donors (open to varying degrees to future contact with a child), and they seemed to follow relatively strong ethical practices in terms of the donor recruitment and screening. I was also attracted to their relatively strong outcomes data, and their research-based orientation. Their key weakness for me has been the support staff.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel seemed to pay close attention to my case, read my history thoroughly before my first visit, reviewed donor history in depth, and took the time to answer my many questions. She seemed to be well-informed about the latest research and thoughtful about how it applied to me. However, we have encountered some unexpected challenges in my case and it's too early to say whether she will be able to adapt her approach to those to get a successful pregnancy.
Ask to be in touch with her by email directly, as her coordinating staff is fairly unhelpful, and then reach out to her sparingly with key medical questions. She is responsive by email, but very briefly, so use that channel only to get information on a clear, specific question.
Standard embryo transfer protocol: birth control pill for timing, Lupron, estradiol patches, and progesterone in oil shots in preparation for the transfer, with Medrol for a few days just before the transfer and Valium day of transfer. I responded well to the standard protocol, other than strong mood reactions to the birth control pill. UCSF's drug program is significantly discounted from other clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga, the nurse I worked with for two cycles, was extremely rushed every single time I spoke with her, and I grew to dread calls with her as I was always stressed after getting off of them. She shared unnecessary information that created additional stress, like telling me that there was going to be a lot of competition for transfer appointments in a certain timeframe. She also sometimes gave unclear instructions and was defensive about it when I asked for clarification on details (i.e. telling me to use estrogen patches at a certain time of day, and then when I asked a related question, telling me that she never told me that and giving a long explanation for how I couldn't possibly have heard what I heard). This same issue happened on both cycles, and I was careful in taking notes from our calls, so it was extremely frustrating to both have poor information and to then have her argue with me when I asked a non-confrontational question. Unlike a previous experience at another clinic, I never felt actual emotional support from the nursing staff at UCSF. When calling with a negative pregnancy test result, they clearly have been trained to say some of the right things, but it felt like a script. When I didn't want to schedule an embryo transfer for the day before one of my biggest work days of the year, and was feeling pressured by the nurse, she didn't show any understanding of my wanting to take my work commitments into consideration and by the end of the call, I was crying, frustrated, and anxious about the choices I'd made very quickly about scheduling such an important procedure. Thuy, Dr. Noel's coordinator, is a bit scattered and required a lot of follow-up to get my labs straight, as she would request labs she had received again, and fail to notice other missing labs. She also often seemed rushed, but was kind and responsive.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strong preference for eSET but would have considered multiple embryo transfer after multiple unsuccessful cycles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had trouble getting all of my initial diagnostic lab results into my records. I had one phone appointment incorrectly cancelled.