6.8

Plantation
8100 SW 10th Street
Plantation, FL 33324

Treated 2017 - 2018
Not every details or step was discussed with me, unless I did ask specifically. He [Dr. Attia] did ask a lot if I have more questions for him, so his patients better be prepared and do research to be able to ask questions.... Stimulation with Gonal F and Menopur injections. Got two embryos after first retrieval. Did embyo transfer did not grow them to blastocyte. Doctor said his believe is that the human body is the better environment than the lab dish for the embryos to survive.
Clinic [UHealth Repro and Fertility Ctr] was very accomodationg to my work schedule so i could choose the time within their 'monitoring window' that would work best for me.... strengths: Wait time okay. The staff are nice but not overly friendly. weaknesses: In my opinion maybe not using the latest recommendation in field. Not sure how I feel about their laboratory.... paid $10,500 for the first cycle (package, all inclusive, of course excluding meds and we didn't do PGS testing).
How was your experience with George Attia at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Not every details or step was discussed with me, unless I did ask specifically. He did ask a lot if I have more questions for him, so his patients better be prepared and do research to be able to ask questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of George Attia at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Do reseach on all procedures and ask your questions as he is kind enough to answer them all but information may not necessarily come without the patient asking the questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with George Attia at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Not very good raport / communication with the office staff (nurses). The Ultraound technician was great though.
Describe the protocols George Attia used in your cycles at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Stimulation with Gonal F and Menopur injections. Got two embryos after first retrieval. Did embyo transfer did not grow them to blastocyte. Doctor said his believe is that the human body is the better environment than the lab dish for the embryos to survive. Did not do PGS testing, as we only had two embryos. On second IVF cycle he used the same medication regimen just altered the dosages a little and added growth hormone. We retrieve five eggs and ended up with no viable embryo. He next suggested donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Gabi with the first cycle. Savannah during second cycle)
All right, but not great.
Describe your experience with UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
strengths: Wait time okay. The staff are nice but not overly friendly. weaknesses: In my opinion maybe not using the latest recommendation in field. Not sure how I feel about their laboratory. This clinic is probably best for easier cases (age, medical conditions). Monetary is on the affordable side, compared to others.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
Clinic was very accomodationg to my work schedule so i could choose the time within their 'monitoring window' that would work best for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under George Attia at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
paid $10,500 for the first cycle (package, all inclusive, of course excluding meds and we didn't do PGS testing). the second cycle $9,800
Describe George Attia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
For my age and this is documented in subject's literature two embryo transfer is acceptable, especially as they were not tested.
Treated 2016 - 2017
The dr. [Attia] is nice but feels very very rushed... I didn't completely feel that everything was explained to me thoroughly...When I first met with the dr. he seemed very positive and upbeat. He always greeted me with a smile...Antagonist protocol. 8 days of stims on high doses of menopur and gonal-f. They ordered the correct amount of meds and made sure that I didn't have to over pay for extra meds I wouldn't need.
The nursing staff [at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center] seemed rushed. It also felt unorganized. Sometimes the nurses seem annoyed with questions...they always run late, seem very unorganized, and not a good communicator...I did the FDA testing at their office and a few days before retrieval was told that the lab never received the labs so I had to rush to an outside lab to have labs drawn or else my retrieval would have been cancelled.
The dr. is nice but feels very very rushed. His nurse is also nice but very very rushed. I didn't completely feel that everything was explained to me thoroughly. Returning phone calls is a weakness of this clinic. Also, the front office gave me different answers than the nursing staff which made it very confusing. When I first met with the dr. he seemed very positive and upbeat. He always greeted me with a smile. The office wait is always really long and they are hardly ever on time.
Be prepared to wait and be persistent with communications with this office. Ask questions until you get an answer.
When I went to their office the dr and nurses would always greet me by my name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lily )
The nursing staff seemed rushed. It also felt unorganized. Sometimes the nurses seem annoyed with questions.
Describe your experience with UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
The clinic has 2 locations so you are able to decided which to go to. The dr was nice and informative to me. The weaknesses is they always run late, seem very unorganized, and not a good communicator.
This office does monitoring appointments before noon so you just have to show up and wait your turn. You could be there for 30 minutes to 2 hours just waiting.
Dr. Attia was the cheapest dr that I found in the area.
We did PGS testing and he would want us to only do SET.
What specific things went wrong at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.

Treated 2017
Dr. Attia is a competent doctor. He performed the treatment in a professional manner. He does not oversee his office staff and nurses appropriately. That is a problem. Patient treatment suffers because of it...I was supposed to have tests that they never gave me. So, I carried a miscarried pregnancy for three months because they never did a ultrasound...There are many other options in South Florida. I would see someone else.
They [staff at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center] forgot to tell me important details about my treatment. I was supposed to have tests that they never gave me. So, I carried a miscarried pregnancy for three months because they never did a ultrasound...I was not informed about the dosages of follistim that I was supposed to take each day. I had to call the on call number and then I got a nasty reaction from the nurse. They did not tell me what day to take the activation shot. When I called the on call line again, the nurse argued with me that I had been told by the doctor. After I had a positive pregnancy test, I was not called for any follow-up appointments. I was supposed to have ultrasounds (I was unaware of this). So the pregnancy ended, but I carried around an empty sac because I did not miscarry. It took 3 months for another doctor to figure out what happened and I had to have a d&c.
There are many other options in South Florida. I would see someone else.
They forgot to tell me important details about my treatment. I was supposed to have tests that they never gave me. So, I carried a miscarried pregnancy for three months because they never did a ultrasound.
Describe your experience with UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
They were not very compassionate. The wait time was very long for blood work and appointments. I also had appointments that I was told to arrive for that were never placed on the calendar. When I expressed my concerns about the problems. They became irritated with me and my treatment became worse.
Treated 2016
He [Dr. George Attia] seemed to be rushing. He also seemed ready to move right into IVF ...I did not receive many details, just that he want to proceed with a medicated IUI or IVF transferring two...He tends to look more at the monitor than the patient. He did answer all of my questions, but being a newbie I didn't have that many.
It is a hospital based clinic [UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center] so my insurance charged me for my HSG, it could have been free and of course they didn't tell me that. I got an ice surprise bill later. It is a small office with lots of patients. When you call you usually get to speak to someone just probably not the nurse or doctor or not las you request...She [nurse] seemed overwhelmed...I did not receive many details, just that he want to proceed with a medicated IUI or IVF transferring two. It was overwhelming.
He seemed to be rushing. He also seemed ready to move right into IVF and wanted to put two, which per recommendations is 1 too many. He tends to look more at the monitor than the patient. He did answer all of my questions, but being a newbie I didn't have that many. My new doctor did a much better job explains my test results and found an error in one of the test. Other people that I know have used him successfully but he just wasn't the right fit for me.
I recommend a new patient come read with their questions, state they don't want students in their consultation, and have their mind set on the number of embryos the want transferred.
Dr. Attia tended to look more at the computer than at us. He also always had students and not just 1. Being so new at the time made the process overwhelming
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
She seemed overwhelmed.
Describe your experience with UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
It is a hospital based clinic so my insurance charged me for my HSG, it could have been free and of course they didn't tell me that. I got an ice surprise bill later. It is a small office with lots of patients. When you call you usually get to speak to someone just probably not the nurse or doctor or not las you request.
He likes to put two in.

Treated 2014
He [Dr. Arthur Shapiro] is perhaps managing way too many patients...seems interested in helping women and couples have a baby, but seems overworked. There is no way he can know anyone on a personal level due to his schedule...he is often delayed or late due to meetings...Much of the time spend in his office was his reviewing of my charts, results, ordering new labs, and his asking questions about my cycle. At times he had other nurses or phone calls interrupt our visit. While he seemed like a nice guy, I did ultimately feel like we did too many repeated labs before really getting to the bottom of our fertility issues.
I do feel like I lost time based on how the UM fertility clinic is operated...They [nurses] only leave instructions via voicemail. I got a very important msg late and gave myself the wrong dose of a medication due to this...I did not get my trigger shot sent to the fertility pharmacy I had on file by the nurse in time during my IUI with another treating doctor at the clinic. Luckily, I was able to call the after hours line and get the medication, at full cost at a 24 hour Walgreens. I really had to go out of my way to get it.
How was your experience with Arthur Shapiro at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
He is perhaps managing way too many patients. He is an older gentleman, seems interested in helping women and couples have a baby, but seems overworked. There is no way he can know anyone on a personal level due to his schedule.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Shapiro at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Be patient, he is often delayed or late due to meetings.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Shapiro at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Much of the time spend in his office was his reviewing of my charts, results, ordering new labs, and his asking questions about my cycle. At times he had other nurses or phone calls interrupt our visit. While he seemed like a nice guy, I did ultimately feel like we did too many repeated labs before really getting to the bottom of our fertility issues. I do feel like I lost time based on how the UM fertility clinic is operated.
They only leave instructions via voicemail. I got a very important msg late and gave myself the wrong dose of a medication due to this.
Describe your experience with UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
It feels like you are in a factory setting. You are just a number and will be waiting a long time to see a doctor. I thought a teaching hospital would be more research based and on the forefront of the latest technology; however, I found other private clinics to be way more advanced and modern.
Arthur Shapiro
Treated 2017
[Dr. Mick Abae was] Always on time for appointments...rarely does frozen embryo transfers...Nit a good communicator, didn’t know how many embryos would be transferred until I arrived on day of transfer, tv screen wasn’t working when embryologist got embryos to transfer and the process seemed unprofessional...Dr. Abae is a little distant and cold...Ask lots of questions and force him to explain anything you’re unaware of.
Costs are cheaper [at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center] than other clinics but that’s because they don’t seem to do lots of frozen embryo transfers. They don’t communicate well during Ivf however the appointments were always on time.ask the embryologist lots of questions and if you do Ivf ensure that he lets you know in advance the number of embryos to be transferred prior to the transfer date.
How was your experience with Mick Abae at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Strengths - works 7 days a week. Always on time for appointments, friendly staff, rarely does frozen embryo transfers. Weaknesses - Nit a good communicator, didn’t know how many embryos would be transferred until I arrived on day of transfer, tv screen wasn’t working when embryologist got embryos to transfer and the process seemed unprofessional. Embryologist didn’t communicate results, everything seemed rushed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mick Abae at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Ask lots of questions and force him to explain anything you’re unaware of. Ask the embryologist to discuss the status of your embryos.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mick Abae at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center?
Dr. Abae is a little distant and cold. However, he was always on time.
Describe the protocols Mick Abae used in your cycles at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Too long to discuss.
Excellent primary nurse
Describe your experience with UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
Costs are cheaper than other clinics but that’s because they don’t seem to do lots of frozen embryo transfers. They don’t communicate well during Ivf however the appointments were always on time.ask the embryologist lots of questions and if you do Ivf ensure that he lets you know in advance the number of embryos to be transferred prior to the transfer date.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mick Abae at UHealth Reproductive and Fertility Center.
$9,900 for ivf