Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UNC Fertility to a friend?

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
I always felt like my treatment [with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] was tailored to me and not some cookie cutter plan...She is kind, thoughtful and compassionate. She is very knowledgeable and up front about how treatment would go. She always answers my questions in ways I understood and helped soothe my fears. She always made time for us when we were in the office and explained the course of treatment. She made us feel very special.
Mindy [nurse at UNC Fertility] was amazing! She is so awesome. I could call her or email her about anything. She was fast to respond and got answers for us quickly. She was great at educating us through the process of taking the medication...All of the costs were told to us up front and we were given options for payment...They were fast in getting us an appointment and getting us in to see a doctor that would work with us after all we had been through. The clinic always made us feel as though we were a priority. They were open weekends to accommodate our needs during treatment.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Come with all of your questions and don’t be afraid to ask. She can handle it and will answer them to the best of her ability. She is also open to the course of treatment that YOU decide and she is not pushy in any way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
The nurse and the doctor were always available when I needed something, had questions and alleviated my worries every step of the way. I always felt like my treatment was tailored to me and not some cookie cutter plan.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Mersereau used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We went right to IVF and it was because she didn’t want to waste our time trying more treatment what would not likely be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Soucey)
Mindy was amazing! She is so awesome. I could call her or email her about anything. She was fast to respond and got answers for us quickly. She was great at educating us through the process of taking the medication.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.
There costs for ultrasounds, retrieval and transfer. All of the costs were told to us up front and we were given options for payment.
Describe Jennifer Mersereau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
I had hoped for multiple but I also understand her concern and rationale. I was very happy with the outcome.
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.

2020
Very good at making sure I understood my diagnosis of stage 4 endometriosis and the different treatment options available. We decided the best plan to help increase fertility but also what it would mean long term ... Dr. Young is a great doctor to see if you have endometriosis. He is an expert in the field. I dealt more often with his fellow, Dr. Moustafa, who was also amazing. Very compassionate and educated. They work together very well and I felt heard and taken care of. Dr. Moustafa was also available very easy to get in touch with if I had questions or concerns. Would absolutely recommend this clinic.
Overall great, and [UNC Fertility] ran on time. Staff and nurses are all personable and approachable. Easy to get to, very clean. Coffee and tv in waiting room, lots of windows. They have their own portal online system that allows you to connect with your team whenever you have questions and view your treatment schedule and details online at any time. ... We decided to have laparoscopic surgery to remove endometrial tissue and lesions as well as a large cyst. This was to reduce the chronic pain I was having as well as increase fertility.
2020
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Ask as many questions as you can think of because he knows everything about Endometriosis - I came out of our appointment feeling much more “in charge” of this disease diagnosis
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Steven Young used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We decided to have laparoscopic surgery to remove endometrial tissue and lesions as well as a large cyst. This was to reduce the chronic pain I was having as well as increase fertility. We have planned for an embryo transfer (IVF from a clinic in Canada) with 1 frozen embryo. I am currently taking Orlissa to suppress endometriosis until we can schedule a transfer cycle.
Very personable, organized
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Overall great, and ran on time. Staff and nurses are all personable and approachable. Easy to get to, very clean. Coffee and tv in waiting room, lots of windows. They have their own portal online system that allows you to connect with your team whenever you have questions and view your treatment schedule and details online at any time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Young at UNC Fertility.
Don’t remember
Describe Steven Young's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We only have one embryo
Steven Young
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility.

2017 - 2019
Dr. Peavey was an amazing doctor for us. She really went above and beyond to help us understand each step of the way. She would call on the weekend if I had a question, I never felt like just a number to her. We could not say enough great things...was great from the very first appointment. My husband and I felt very confided that she was doing everything she could to help us have our now son....She was very straight forward with us and when we should move form IUI to IVF. We always felt like she had our best interested in mind and what would be best for us.
UNC Fertility was a great clinic and we had a great experience their, the only thing is that the wait time could be rather long. Sometimes I waiting up to 30 plus minute for a blood draw but it just depend on the day. I just made sure I added more time then I thought I needed for the appointment...Mindy [nurse] was amazing, she always answered my emails or question with in an day and was always so happy and positive. I really missed her when we switch to our main OBGYN practice...For our IUIs they were around $500 for each round. With IVF we paid $2000 to start and then about $1000 for the medicine and then we paid $2800 for our PSG testing
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey was great from the very first appointment. My husband and I felt very confided that she was doing everything she could to help us have our now son. She explained everything about why we were doing each step and test. She was very straight forward with us and when we should move form IUI to IVF. We always felt like she had our best interested in mind and what would be best for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
To trust her and know that she wants the same goal for her patients
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey was an amazing doctor for us. She really went above and beyond to help us understand each step of the way. She would call on the weekend if I had a question, I never felt like just a number to her. We could not say enough great things about our experience at UNC with Dr Peavey
Describe the protocols Mary Peavey used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We started with IUI's not medicated due to the fact that it would not be safe for me to carry multiples. When those did not work we deiced to move on to IVF, we did one egg relative and deiced to PGS test those embryos. One the first transfer did not work. We did a few more test to get a better time window for the next transfer and added acupuncture. Our second transfer also failed so for our third we did all the things with acupuncture, added other medicine and had a successfully transfer and welcomed our son January 2020
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Soucy)
Mindy was amazing, she always answered my emails or question with in an day and was always so happy and positive. I really missed her when we switch to our main OBGYN practice.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility.
Describe Mary Peavey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We did a eSET because due to me having cervical cancer 8 years ago we all felt that it was not worth the risk to do more then one embryo at a time
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility.

[Dr. Linnea Goodman] was extremely friendly and supportive while being realistic with possible outcomes. She made us both feel very comfortable and in control of the whole process...She took the time needed to answer any questions and we never felt rushed. She was genuine and compassionate...She can have a bit of dry humor (which I appreciated) to lighten the mood so don’t stay so serious the whole time...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I created and ovulated my egg every month but we never became pregnant after 18 months of trying. We tried 3 unsuccessful IUIs and followed directly with IVF and a successful fresh transfer.
The wait times could be quite long [at UNC Fertility] some days. The receptionist wasn’t the friendliest. The phlebotomists were skilled and accurate...We tried 3 unsuccessful IUIs and followed directly with IVF and a successful fresh transfer...Ally [nurse] wasn’t my favorite. She was all business. She was knowledgeable and helpful but not as warm as I prefer. Wendy was absolutely wonderful. She saw my upset one day and went out of her way to call me to make sure everything was ok. She was truly one of the warmest and most genuine people I’ve ever met.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr Goodman was always positive and personable. She took the time needed to answer any questions and we never felt rushed. She was genuine and compassionate. I was sad we had to leave her care but happy we were able to graduate to a regular obgyn
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr Goodman was extremely friendly and supportive while being realistic with possible outcomes. She made us both feel very comfortable and in control of the whole process.
Describe the protocols Linnea Goodman used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ally )
Ally wasn’t my favorite. She was all business. She was knowledgeable and helpful but not as warm as I prefer. Wendy was absolutely wonderful. She saw my upset one day and went out of her way to call me to make sure everything was ok. She was truly one of the warmest and most genuine people I’ve ever met.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The wait times could be quite long some days. The receptionist wasn’t the friendliest. The phlebotomists were skilled and accurate. Avoid Dr. Mercero at all costs. She has terrible bedside manner and will introduce herself to you over and over even if it’s the 4th time you’ve seen her.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility.
Insurance covered my 3 IUIs and most testing up until I started the IVF process and testing. Then it was all out of pocket
Describe Linnea Goodman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
With the diagnosis of unexplained infertility it was suggested to transfer 1 egg since we didn’t know the reason as to why I wasn’t becoming pregnant
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
We had some trouble with insurance and medicine coverage so we had to have a couple different meds called in to see what was covered. Only 1 of the 2 meds were called in so I had to get ahold of the nurse on call over the weekend to fix it.
Linnea Goodman
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility.

Dr. Mersereau is professional and knowledgable. She has a calm and logical approach to the process and offered conservative treatment but was willing to explore options. She was able to explain the process in a comprehensive manner and explain the choices we had going forward. She is approachable and really took her time to address all our questions and concerns.
Wendy [nurse at UNC Fertility] was amazing, professional, compassionate, and maintained a supportive environment through out the course of our treatment. She was responsive and went above and beyond to provide care by phone and in the office...Strengths were the physician and nursing staff who were very compassionate and supportive. Their finance team was less responsive and not as clear. The clinic did not offer any learning tools as other clinics have and they do not offer or recommend complimentary care. They could do better with more support groups and counseling integrated into their treatment plan.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Go in with questions. Because she takes her time and has a team of RE that review your case, your questions and asks may take more time to be processed. However, we felt that they took into consideration what we wanted and advised us appropriately our options and how they could help.
Dr. M made time to sit and answer questions appropriately with consideration for our expectations and the reality of our situation. We worked more with her nurse than her but she made sure to call with results and other important information.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy was amazing, professional, compassionate, and maintained a supportive environment through out the course of our treatment. She was responsive and went above and beyond to provide care by phone and in the office. I would highly recommend her as nurse while going through this difficult treatment.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
We used the Attain program.
Raleigh

Dr. Peavey was very thorough in explaining our options to us and the processes going on inside the body. She took time out to make sure we felt comfortable. We always knew what to expect. She was also very considerate of our emotions during hard times, and she took time to personally call us when needed.... Our first cycle with Dr. Peavey was an IUI only, which had worked for us (along with an HSG) for our first daughter.
The nursing staff [UNC Fertility] worked efficiently and were all well trained in the procedures they were conducting....The clinic's biggest weakness appeared to be in billing. There were multiple occasions where pricing was misquoted and I was later charged more than expected, and there were some surprise bills when I had been told I had paid for everything involved in that cycle.
You are in good hands!
Dr. Peavey took lots of time out to discuss our options with us during appointments. On the day of our first consultation, she took a scan, since I was in a good place in my cycle, and we wouldn't have to wait a whole month to start treatment. She also called us after her normal hours to discuss options with us when we had big decisions to make.
Our first cycle with Dr. Peavey was an IUI only, which had worked for us (along with an HSG) for our first daughter. For the second cycle, we switched to IUI with letrozole. We also went on progesterone for a short luteal phase. After 1-2 more unsuccessful IUIs, we switched to from letrozole to clomid (still with progesterone) for a few cycles. We also had a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) again. We then planned to move to IVF, but wanted to take a month off medication first. During the month off, we got pregnant, which turned out to be ectopic, and required surgery. After recovery from surgery, we proceeded with IVF and were able to freeze seven embryos and transfer one. The transferred embryo worked and I am now pregnant.
The nursing staff worked efficiently and were all well trained in the procedures they were conducting.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
IVF - $12000 (plus medications) IUI - $800 (plus medications)
Dr. Peavey strongly recommended single embryo transfer, based on my age and my history. I am in agreement with this recommendation, as I did not want to have a pregnancy with multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
All the problems I had with the clinic were related to billing.
Raleigh

Dr Fritz took the time to really get to know me and my husband and I felt like he truly cared about our results. He was invested, he was sad with me during hard times and happy with me during successes. After going to him for so many years through IVF and an ectopic pregnancy and two successful pregnancies afterwards resulting in my 2.5 year old and 6 month old I could not be happier with the care I received from him.
UNC is very clean, nice and everyone is very friendly. Everyone from the front desk staff, to the nurses taking blood and vitals are all so friendly and caring, they all make you feel welcome and take the time to really get to know you and remember who you are.... For our first son we ended up spending about $25K which included trying drugs like letrozole & injectables, all of the testing (baselines, mock transfers, saline ultrasounds, hsg tests) egg retrieval,
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
He is so caring and such an intelligent, amazing dr. I could not be happier with the care that I received from him and the outcome of our IVF cycles at UNC. After my first IVF cycle resulted in an ectopic pregnancy I felt so strongly that I always only wanted to have him do my transfers and my next two transfers were successes! He always made me feel so comfortable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
To trust him fully.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Marc Fritz used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
I do not recall.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy )
Mindy was AMAZING! She would email me at all hours of the day/night with questions and help. I was even emailing her on Christmas eve sure that I was having a miscarriage after my 2nd IVF transfer and she was so responsive and caring helping to put my mind at ease and getting me in early the day after Christmas to confirm that the baby was just fine :)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
For our first son we ended up spending about $25K which included trying drugs like letrozole & injectables, all of the testing (baselines, mock transfers, saline ultrasounds, hsg tests) egg retrieval, one IVF transfer that ended in an ectopic pregnancy and a second transfer (FET) that resulted in our first son. Our 2nd son just required an additional saline and mock transfer and one FET which was around $6K total.
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I was unaware of the treatment protocols for IUI. Dr. Mersereau prescribed me clomid for all my IUIs, but she never gave me a trigger shot. I just used ovulation predictor kits which are not always very accurate. I felt like it was just a guessing game and I wish we had been more aggressive with the specifics of the treatments. As a doctor, she was very kind, compassionate, and thorough when diagnosing me. I just did not agree with the treatments.
The clinic [UNC Fertility-Raleigh] was beautiful. They had an entirely separate area for specimen collection and a lovely waiting room. It felt like a spa. It was not, however, close to UNC Chapel Hill's campus like I thought it would be. It was closer to the airport which was a long drive for me.... The nursing staff were the ones who performed the IUI, I never even saw the doctor on those days. They were very kind and compassionate. They would always be so upbeat about our chances to conceive. When I called to say that the IUI didn't work and I needed to start a new round of treatment, they were so kind and compassionate about our grief.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Advocate for yourself and for your treatment plan.
She listened to me and answered all my questions. She understood that I had a crazy schedule working in healthcare, and she was very personable.
Dr. Mersereau prescribed Clomid and an ovulation predictor kit (without going over how to use the OPK). Then we did IUI.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic was beautiful. They had an entirely separate area for specimen collection and a lovely waiting room. It felt like a spa. It was not, however, close to UNC Chapel Hill's campus like I thought it would be. It was closer to the airport which was a long drive for me.
Our insurance did not cover any costs of treatment (just lab work), so we paid out of pocket for everything. We never met with a financial team.
We did not get to embryo retrieval or transfers
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I do not think they were great at giving instructions for Ovulation predictor kits. I know that the directions are on the kit's box, but I wish the nurse had given specifics because there was already so much to remember with the infertility journey.
Raleigh

Dr. M [Jennifer Mersereau] got us in for a consultation quickly. She is personable and passionate about her patients. She gave encouraging words and described everything in detail. She even drew diagrams to help us understand the upcoming procedures and what we should expect. After the consultation and several attempts to diagnose, we began the IUI cycle. I did not see Dr. M for these visits, only a nurse and doctor interns. I would have loved to speak directly with doctor on the day of treatment.
[UNC Fertility is a] Great clinic! No complaints. They work with your schedule as much as they can. Are available on Saturday and sundays for ultrasound or treatments. Front desk staff is accommodating and worked with me when I had insurance questions. The office is always clean. They provide coffee and water to patients in the waiting area.... Always answer my messages quickly and in depth. I love that they check on me towards the end of my TWW. They are always encouraging and happy in the office and greet me by my first name. Awesome staff!
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Dr. M got us in for a consultation quickly. She is personable and passionate about her patients. She gave encouraging words and described everything in detail. She even drew diagrams to help us understand the upcoming procedures and what we should expect. After the consultation and several attempts to diagnose, we began the IUI cycle. I did not see Dr. M for these visits, only a nurse and doctor interns. I would have loved to speak directly with doctor on the day of treatment.
This is not specific to Dr. M, but the process in itself. Pray! Have a group that prays for you and with you. You will need a shoulder to lean on
Dr. M takes the time to answer my questions about medications and all fertility questions
I began with Femara 6mg, this only produced one mature egg per month. After 5 months, I began clomid 150mg. I have produced 2-3 mature follicles each cycle. Clomid does come with more side effects and possibility of multiples. We had our first IUI with Femara with no success. Took several months off to emotionally and financially recover. We are working on the 2nd IUI, back to back.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
IUI was $889 per cycle, with insurance. Not cheap, but hopefully worth it.
Raleigh

seeing Dr Peavey and UNC Fertility was a breath of fresh air. She was thorough, detailed but also readily listened and addressed any questions and concerns. She emailed me on a weekend (when it honestly wasn’t even necessary!) She took triple the time with me than the clinic I had visited prior... we felt as if she had our best interest in mind whether or not that was the most expensive treatment. Even after learning IVF was indeed our only option, she is still very mindful of our concerns.
The office [UNC Fertility - Raleigh] is new and you can see the level of care that went into the office space itself to be the best environment from a health standpoint (paint, air filtration etc) as well as comfort. The feeling leaving this office compared to leaving another local office we met with was incomparable. We knew this was the best fit for us...We have seen several different nurses at check in, lab work etc although we do not have a primary nurse yet in the process. (We have not actually began our first cycle, in progress) Each nurse and team member we have worked with has been professional, compassionate and very laid back (which helps in this environment)
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
She takes plenty of time to address concerns, take into consideration our feelings on things. She never hesitates to respond to emails (even on a weekend!) She spent ample time to diagnose rather than jumping to one conclusion and one treatment plan. When we first met with her, we felt as if she had our best interest in mind whether or not that was the most expensive treatment. Even after learning IVF was indeed our only option, she is still very mindful of our concerns.
Never hesitate to ask questions, ask for things to be repeated or email to follow up.
After visiting another local office and feeling as if my concerns were not heard and I was only a number and an invoice, seeing Dr Peavey and UNC Fertility was a breath of fresh air. She was thorough, detailed but also readily listened and addressed any questions and concerns. She emailed me on a weekend (when it honestly wasn’t even necessary!) She took triple the time with me than the clinic I had visited prior.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: We are not this far (waiting to be financially cleared))
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
From the moment you walk in we felt welcome. In a professional, clean, accommodating office. The doctor comes out to greet you in the waiting room and walks you back, as well walk you out after the appointment. The office is new and you can see the level of care that went into the office space itself to be the best environment from a health standpoint (paint, air filtration etc) as well as comfort. The feeling leaving this office compared to leaving another local office we met with was incomparable. We knew this was the best fit for us.
Due to office Medications
Single transfer is recommended to us
Raleigh

Ally [nurse at UNC Fertility] was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met...[Monitoring appointments are a] Well efficient machine. Very personalized but they blocked off early morning so you could get labs and or ultrasounds and still make it to work on time. Also open 7 days a week for monitoring appointments and procedures. I could have scheduled later in the day if needed but early morning was great for me and so many others
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Well of note she is now at Duke and I do not have experience there. I will say Dr. Steiner was great non judgements supportive and even while I did not see her every time I knew she was always on top of my care
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Be honest and know she will support you. One of the first and most important moments with Dr Steiner was when I first went in I knew she would say my weight was a factor in my infertility. But to my pleasant surprise she went through everything and never mentioned it. I brought it up and she said “yes every less pound would be helpful but I am assuming from the way you asked you have tried dieting and eating healthy. I told her I had it was just really hard for me in those programs because the weight did not just fall off. She said well it is up to you if you want to try and lose a few more pounds before we do this I will support you but I know you want this baby and I am not going to keep that from happening because of something that has not happened with your effort. My job is to help get you pregnant not judge you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
IUNC fertility was fabulous. They made me feel like I was the only person in their care. Personalized one on one attention and must say Ally the nurse was my saving grace in regards to sanity
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
She did the standard protocol they use but tailored it based on my labs and my pharmacy plan options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
Ally was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met. She Celeste’s the successes and reassured me when I was worried
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very efficient but still make you feel like a person not a number. Great scheduling for working people. Had support all the time. Knew they would be there for egg transfer no matter the day even if on a holiday. Support and backing of UNC but feels like a private clinic. Every doctor I saw was fabulous. I knew no matter what doctor I saw they were all on same page and I could trust them. Even though Dr.Steiner is at Duke now I will without a doubt go back to UNC if we forward later with a frozen embryo transfer. Also if side notbthey give you the cutest little gift when you graduate
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
So my husbands insurance luckily has great infertility insurance so our experience was very different
Describe Anne Steiner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
So dr. Steiner only put one egg in based on research. I never pushed the fact because their frozen and fresh egg transfer success ratios are the same. And like she explained it is better to try again with a frozen embryo the chance multiples. Now I will not the decision to only put one was based on my age and embryo quality
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.

How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Steiner is very direct and research-driven. The fact that she continues to conduct research on faculty at a major institution is one of the elements that led myself and my husband to seek her care. If you are looking for a super-compassionate, empathetic doctor, she may not be for you. She cares, and will demonstrate that at times, but not during every interaction. She could be short with a response on occasion, but generally gave me the information I was looking for. Dr. Steiner was convinced that ovulation induction was the only treatment we would need, and told us she would comfortably continue that regimen for six or more months. We progressed to IUI only at my request. After four cycles, none of which resulted in a pregnancy or chemical pregnancy, we relocated, and began with a new doctor. Should we have stayed in the area, I may have sought a more aggressive doctor.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll need to assert yourself a little bit, as Dr. Steiner is a very seasoned specialist and will give you a full run-down of your diagnosis and case without pausing.
During our consultation and follow-up appointment, Dr. Steiner took her time with us, explaining treatment and general fertility concepts in a clear manner. She remembered our details at every interaction, and her care felt personalized for the case we presented.
I have a history of irregular or absent periods. Dr. Steiner prescribed 2.5 mgs of letrozole (Femara) on cycle days 3-7, with an ultrasound to check progress on day 13. Each cycle produced one or more mature follicles, and after the ultrasound, we did a trigger shot (Ovidrel) at home that evening. For the first three cycles, we had timed intercourse around the ovulation window. For the fourth and final cycle, we went in for an IUI 36 hours after the trigger shot.
I didn't have much interaction with the nurses, as I wasn't doing IVF. In general, they were pleasant, and responsive via portal messages.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There are a few aspects of the clinic I wish I had known about before beginning treatment. UNC is a teaching clinic. It will most likely be fellows (students in their fellowship years) who perform most of your ultrasounds. At times, this was (literally) uncomfortable. I have a retroverted uterus, and the first fellow to do a transvaginal ultrasound on me had a lot of difficulty finding her way around. Unlike many teaching hospitals/clinics, the practice's physicians will not ask your permission beforehand to have the fellow observe or even perform the ultrasound. After the uncomfortable ultrasound, I preemptively requested a practice physician when checking in for my next one. Later, at another ultrasound, an unsupervised fellow gave me misinformation and tried to cancel our IUI (she was under the impression that the clinic only did IUI cycles with multiple follicles, while Dr. Steiner was aiming for me to have one mature follicle). The method of communication, at least as a patient of Dr. Steiner's, is strictly through portal messaging. I was never able to speak on the phone with Dr. Steiner, and 90% of the time, responses on the portal came from a nurse. This I imagine is typical for correspondence having to do with refills, etc., but when I wanted to pass on some information regarding my short period, I was told to book a follow-up appointment, which seemed unnecessary. I would also add that nurses perform the IUIs. This may not be uncommon, but took me by surprise.
For ovulation induction, medication was about $110 per cycle, and each cycle required one monitoring ultrasound which cost about $270. The IUI was about $700. My HSG was about $400. The initial consultation was about $400, and the follow-up with Dr. Steiner was about $340. Insurance did not cover anything, but gave us discounts because the clinic was in-network.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
The clinic incorrectly washed my husband's semen sample for our IUI. When a nurse initially started to take us back to a room for the procedure, she was caught by another nurse, who told her it was not time yet. We were then sent back to the waiting area, where we sat in terrible suspense for about an hour. Finally, about two hours after the scheduled procedure time, Dr. Steiner came out, and told us that she was not happy with the sample's numbers after the lab first sent it back, and had them "re-wash" it, to boost numbers. My husband has no male fertility issues, so she knew the low numbers were the result of a poor job. I don't know enough about "washing" to understand how this re-washing could work, but best-case scenario, it put us through a bit of emotional turmoil. In the worst-case scenario, my appointment was two hours after the time we booked to coincide with 36 hours after a trigger shot, so ovulation timing was off, and the sample may have not been as... perky as we'd like.
Raleigh

Dr. Steiner took time to sit with us and answer our questions. She presented the information in an easy to understand way, showing diagrams and charts as well as statistics. She always responds quickly via email and return phone calls.... Dr. Steiner is medically professional. She explains things in layman's terms. The only thing I didn't care for was she did not do all of my ultrasounds. I feel like she did not explain the percentages with IUI versus IVF.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they [UNC Fertility] are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
European, Other
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Take a notebook to write things down because she goes over a lot of information in the first couple appointments.
Dr Steiner used Follistim 375 units per night for 8 nights. I went in every other day for blood work and vaginal ultrasounds. One day, because my veins roll, they stuck me at least 10 times and still could not get blood. I wonder if results would have been obtained that day if it would have changed the outcome for me.I did not get to my Ovidrel trigger shot because my estrogen lowered and progesterone went up so they did not allow me to do that. Other doctors performed my vaginal ultrasounds since Dr. Steiner was not in the office.
All of the nurses were very friendly and attentive to my needs as a patient. They were easy to communicate with, would reply in a timely manner to emails and had compassion for the situation.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
Not sure since we are using insurance and are having some issues in that department. From what insurance has told us , we have used $13k so far.

PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I appreciate [Dr. Mersereau's] frank take on options with fertility. It was nice that she didn’t send us down a rabbit hole with “other” stuff to try (supplements, wives tales, natural remedies). She sticks to protocol using studies and her own experience to draw from...Don’t expect her to throw the kitchen sink at your treatment. She feels very calculated and thoughtful in her approach. And she doesn’t want to make her patients do a bunch of unnecessary stuff.
Kim [nurse at UNF Fertility] rocked. We could call, Email, message her through their patient portal. She made herself extremely accessible and even helped us find cheaper prescriptions when ordering our medications. I can’t say enough positive things about her. Super caring, empathetic and compassionate. She clearly loves what she does and is really good at it...Strengths: facility is great. Business staff are fairly knowledgeable. Weaknesses: it can be challenging to get in touch with their financial folks. Not impossible but they might be harder than the IVF nurse coordinator.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I appreciate Dr M’s frank take on options with fertility. It was nice that she didn’t send us down a rabbit hole with “other” stuff to try (supplements, wives tales, natural remedies). She sticks to protocol using studies and her own experience to draw from. For me that was freeing because I would beat myself up on natural fertility enhancers or habits that worked for other women but not me.
We met with Dr M multiple times and she always showed care of us. We never felt like she disregarded our worry or anxiety.
One of the things we looked at was doing a natural cycle for transfer. I so much appreciate that we continued to look for options to build on what my body can do on it’s own even if my eggs were not great quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim rocked. We could call, Email, message her through their patient portal. She made herself extremely accessible and even helped us find cheaper prescriptions when ordering our medications. I can’t say enough positive things about her. Super caring, empathetic and compassionate. She clearly loves what she does and is really good at it.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
It was mostly one amount and everything was covered. The only separate things were medications, refrigeration costs, and anesthesia.
For the first transfer she wanted to do 1 because if I was to get pregnant we picked the best, most mature embryo (my others were Day 3). The second transfer we used the 2 remaining embryos. I feel like her advice made sense for us.
Raleigh

My wife and I worked predominantly with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team. They were caring and sincere, however, we did feel that they weren't willing to explore options such as double IUI in a cycle or InvoCell. Her team responded fairly quickly to messages. ... After approx 6 months of orals, we attempted IUI with femara twice, once with a trigger shot. The 3rd IUI we used femara with a trigger shot (ovidrel) before IUI then pregnyl afterwards followed by vaginal suppositories of progesterone. Unfortunately all with no success.
[UNC Fertility is] Very welcoming, clean, professional. I like that it was on the 3rd floor which allowed privacy. There is some miscommunication with the financial department and I would be vigilant with your information and payments. Twice we received a bill in the mail after we had already paid in full for the "all inclusive" procedure. They corrected this after we showed them the paid balance.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
My wife and I worked predominantly with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team. They were caring and sincere, however, we did feel that they weren't willing to explore options such as double IUI in a cycle or InvoCell. Her team responded fairly quickly to messages. We worked with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau once for an US and she was very quick in and out of the room. At times we felt like we were asking questions to try and keep her in the room to explain further.
Come in with your questions on paper and be prepared. Be sure to give your entire story in a succinct manner including what meds you've taken, menstrual cycle regularities, family/social history, and other pertinent information. This will allow you to maximize your visit.
Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team was helpful and caring. They listened and asked questions to make sure they understood the care and treatment we were hoping for.
Tried multiple cycles of moderate and then high dose clomid by itself for approximately 3 cycles. Once we found out my wife wasn't producing the expected number of follicles, we switch to Femara for 3+ cycles. This showed some improvements but we never fully were sure if we had 2 follicles. It showed at least one on US but they suspected the second to be large enough to mature. After approx 6 months of orals, we attempted IUI with femara twice, once with a trigger shot. The 3rd IUI we used femara with a trigger shot (ovidrel) before IUI then pregnyl afterwards followed by vaginal suppositories of progesterone. Unfortunately all with no success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindi)
The staff was cordial and professional, however there was some mix up on when to take the Ovidrel injection. The doc told us 36hrs prior to IUI but when my wife called to confirm the nurse gave us a different time. We said 36hrs to the nurse and she said 48hrs. This caused quite a bit of stress on my wifes behalf which is what we wanted to avoid prior to another IUI. We ultimately did get in contact with the doctor through another nurse and injected appropriately.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There were questionable charges after we had paid for procedures in full. I would encourage you to keep a folder and follow closely. The appointments were different charges each time and our insurance didn't really cover much.
none. We didn't get this far.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
There was some issues with what time to give the Ovidrel to my wife. The provider said 36hrs but when the nursing staff messaged her, they gave a different time frame. This did cause some issues and stress. We ultimately got it right, I think. Unfortunately, it didn't result in a positive test. We did have some ongoing financial department issues with miscommunication and extra bills that we had already paid for. I would encourage you to pay close attention to your payments and bills.
Raleigh

Friendly, comforting and very informative. I was scared to undergo one of my procedures and he [Dr. Fritz] calmly walked me through it step by step, which really helped me not freak out. He gives every bit of information relating to your options and answers any questions thoroughly. He also took it upon himself to contact my regular OBGYN and let her know what was going on.... Initial consultation, HSG to check for any blockages, left tube blocked but developed a plan for IUI going forward with an understanding that we will consider IVF in the event that IUI fails.
Everyone [UNC Fertility] seems really nice and friendly, very good at communicating basic procedures (taking blood, whatever else) and they have a great portal that I can access at anytime with questions or to look at my records/ schedule. Also, very helpful with financial counseling.... Very organized and easy to access information either by phone or through the portal; feels very patient oriented. They are constantly reaching out about scheduling questions or finance questions. Nice office space
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Friendly, comforting and very informative. I was scared to undergo one of my procedures and he calmly walked me through it step by step, which really helped me not freak out. He gives every bit of information relating to your options and answers any questions thoroughly. He also took it upon himself to contact my regular OBGYN and let her know what was going on.
Be ready for a lot of information but don't be afraid to ask questions or clarify things!
Dr. F is very friendly and personable right from the start, he was very welcoming and easy to talk to and gave us a ton of information on our first visit. He discussed our test results and explained what they meant and what we should do going forward. His information was very thorough and he was quick with scheduling and even informed us that he had a preplanned trip so would be out of office for a few days after one of our procedures.
Everyone seems really nice and friendly, very good at communicating basic procedures (taking blood, whatever else) and they have a great portal that I can access at anytime with questions or to look at my records/ schedule. Also, very helpful with financial counseling.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very organized and easy to access information either by phone or through the portal; feels very patient oriented. They are constantly reaching out about scheduling questions or finance questions. Nice office space, although it's a bit of a drive from where we are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
My insurance does not cover UNC but they have reached out about financial counseling multiple times. We have paid for everything up front and it has been fine so far.
Raleigh

Be ready for her [Dr. Mersereau] to put everything into action. She is no fuss but cares greatly...She was the first doctor to explain things to us in ways we could understand and not just go for all the technical verbage...Dr. M was willing to work with us exploring all options available instead of just saying it wouldn't work and going straight to IVF...We did 3 medicated cycles under direction using Femara. The first cycle the IUI wasn't able to happen. The last two cycles the IUI happened but both resulted in negatives. She is trying that approach because I asked about it. With one blocked tube and unexplained diagnosis, I don't want to leave any option unused.
What I love about the clinic [UNC Fertility] is that no matter how much time has elapsed between appointments they remember who you are and a little about your background. As for weaknesses, sometimes its hard to schedule an appointment when its most convenient but they are willing to work hard with your schedule...Mindy and Wendy [nurses] have been amazing to work with! They have answered every one of my questions no matter what I have asked with such ease and person-ability. I feel like I am talking to a friend when I send in an emailed question versus talking to yet another clinician.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She explained things in great detail but was also ready to get down to business. Dr. M was willing to work with us exploring all options available instead of just saying it wouldn't work and going straight to IVF.
Be ready for her to put everything into action. She is no fuss but cares greatly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy)
Mindy and Wendy have been amazing to work with! They have answered every one of my questions no matter what I have asked with such ease and person-ability. I feel like I am talking to a friend when I send in an emailed question versus talking to yet another clinician.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
What I love about the clinic is that no matter how much time has elapsed between appointments they remember who you are and a little about your background. As for weaknesses, sometimes its hard to schedule an appointment when its most convenient but they are willing to work hard with your schedule.
I had a copay for visits with her. Then each IUI cycle there is a $600 fee that includes all labs, ultrasounds, and the SAs my husband had to do.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Just one incident where I was going in for bloodwork. They had written down for that appointment the wrong orders, but within 5 minutes was to able to correct what was needed.

Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. Fritz] is honest and upfront about each step of the process. He was very knowledgeable and went above and beyond when things didn’t go as expected. He would always come up with a plan so I could focus on the next steps. He showed compassion when I was hurting and disappointment when I felt discouraged...I took pentoxifylline and vitamin e for I think 3-4 months. Lining got better so we added vaginal viagra I believe. And moved forward with 3rd embryo transfer with success. Each embryo transfer we did IM progesterone (50 mg) for 10 days prior.
[UNC Fertility is] Very well organized, friendly staff, clean, accommodating. We did not like that the check in and check out is so open. It did not allow privacy when talking about upcoming appts or billing. As well as if you came out discouraged or left excited it was like the whole waiting room was a part of it...[The nurse was] Compassionate, organized, available, patient and knowledgeable. She always gave me specific instructions and was there if I had any questions. If I felt discouraged or needed encouragement she was there. And she was there to celebrate and be excited with me when we got pregnant.
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Fritz has a wonderful, warm bedside manner. He is honest and upfront about each step of the process. He was very knowledgeable and went above and beyond when things didn’t go as expected. He would always come up with a plan so I could focus on the next steps. He showed compassion when I was hurting and disappointment when I felt discouraged. He encouraged me to keep going when all I wanted was to give up. He never gave up on us and starting our family.
You are not alone and he will help find the best route to starting your family.
Dr. Fritz and staff always knew me by name and knew the specifics of my case. When I was discouraged/frustrated they were as well. They encouraged me and held my hand during the challenges and heartaches and celebrated with me when we finally became pregnant. Dr. Fritz worked endlessly to come up with some alternative treatments when I proved to be more challenging to respond to what the normal protocol was.
We used follistim and menopur 75 mg for the egg retrieval process. I did injections for 14 days but cannot remember the length of both meds. Then pregynl 10,000 units the night before egg retrieval. Then we did IM progesterone for 10 days prior to embryo transfer. Did not take. Then did a frozen transfer where with did just PO/vaginal estradiol with suboptimal lining, and again did not take. Went to start with another frozen embryo transfer and lining would not respond to PO, vaginal or patches of estrogen. Had a terrible reaction/rash to estrogen patches. Then we scratched that and started again but added vaginal viagra with again no improvement. After that I took pentoxifylline and vitamin e for I think 3-4 months. Lining got better so we added vaginal viagra I believe. And moved forward with 3rd embryo transfer with success. Each embryo transfer we did IM progesterone (50 mg) for 10 days prior.
Mindy was AWESOME. Compassionate, organized, available, patient and knowledgeable. She always gave me specific instructions and was there if I had any questions. If I felt discouraged or needed encouragement she was there. And she was there to celebrate and be excited with me when we got pregnant.
Raleigh

At times it felt like [Dr. Mersereau's] time was short, go into appointments prepared with questions. I loved that she took notes of the conversation for you and let you take them home with you...We tried 3 IUI’s, partially because that is what our insurance covered and partially because Dr. M said if IUi was going to work, it would work within 4 tries. After that we moved in to IVF...took the time to explain the process, our diagnosis and our treatment plan. She was patient when we had questions and put us at ease when we were anxious. She was warm and broke things down into language we could understand.
I would email her [nurse at UNC Fertility] a non urgent question over the weekend and would have a response within an hour. I started to hold my nonurgent questions until the week because she wa so dedicated. When we took a blood test to determine if we were pregnant, she called us over the weekend when she was not working because she wanted to be the one to deliver us the good news. She would always provide me with all the necessary information, including any negative side effects I might expect and the chances that I would experience them. She was the most amazing nurse, ever.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I loved Dr. M, she was so friendly to my husband and I. We felt she really took the time to make sure we understood our diagnosis and treatment plan. She made me feel comfortable and helped calm my anxiety. I would go into appointments scared of the outcome or the next step and she always made me feel better and confident that I would become pregnant.
At times it felt like her time was short, go into appointments prepared with questions. I loved that she took notes of the conversation for you and let you take them home with you.
Dr. M took the time to explain the process, our diagnosis and our treatment plan. She was patient when we had questions and put us at ease when we were anxious. She was warm and broke things down into language we could understand.
We tried 3 IUI’s, partially because that is what our insurance covered and partially because Dr. M said if IUi was going to work, it would work within 4 tries. After that we moved in to IVF which upped our chance from 8-11% for an IUI to 60% for IVF!
Wendy was amazing, she was blunt but so caring. She knew I was nervous to start injections and offered to facetime with me through my first injection. She literally made herself available to me anytime on or off the clock including nights, weekends and while on vacations. I would email her a non urgent question over the weekend and would have a response within an hour. I started to hold my nonurgent questions until the week because she wa so dedicated. When we took a blood test to determine if we were pregnant, she called us over the weekend when she was not working because she wanted to be the one to deliver us the good news. She would always provide me with all the necessary information, including any negative side effects I might expect and the chances that I would experience them. She was the most amazing nurse, ever.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
No one wants to go to a fertility clinic, the waiting room made me sad to see so many couples of varying ages there for the same reason. Everyone from the front desk, to the finance department, nurses and doctors were so nice, professional and compassionate. I was surprised when we started going that the staff knew so many patients by first name. By the end of our IVF cycle, they knew my name too. When we “graduated” I was sad to leave their care. If they could be my regular OBGYN I would go to them in a heartbeat. The patient rooms are comfortable and nice. The doctors meet with you in their office. Overall, they make you feel as comfortable as you can during one of the hardest times of your life.
We were forunate that insurance covered most of our medication with just a copay. IVF cost approximately $12,000
Raleigh

A lot of the doctors we saw, read the word balanced translocation and gave up on us. Dr. M [Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] spent lots of time going over our numbers and percentages, I felt like she was actually interested and cared about understanding our chromosome imbalance.... She went over our odds on IVF thoroughly. Because of our balanced translocation, we would benefit through PGD/PGS testing. This would reduce our risk of miscarriage from 48% to 5%. Even after a miscarriage when I told her I wanted to try one more time naturally, she was supportive of our decision and didn't pressure us into IVF.
Everyone is very friendly and you feel like they are cheering you on [at UNC]. They remember you as well, which I appreciate.... She went over our odds on IVF thoroughly. Because of our balanced translocation, we would benefit through PGD/PGS testing. This would reduce our risk of miscarriage from 48% to 5%. Even after a miscarriage when I told her I wanted to try one more time naturally, she was supportive of our decision and didn't pressure us into IVF. After my 4th miscarriage, we decided to hang in the towel and start IVF this month. Since we gave her the green light she's been very supportive. She's called me several times to make sure I'm aware of the next steps and procedures.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
We've had a rocky road of miscarriages, molar pregnancies and chemical pregnancies. A molar pregnancy missed due to the Doctor's lack of follow up and reading of the pathology report after my first D&C. Through this process, I have been to several doctors all over the triangle, 3 gynos, 2 specialists and 2 IVF doctors. UNC fertility has been the most responsive and caring clinic I've been to so far. They actually care about you and your specific situation. I had one doctor that basically told us to go straight to a sperm donor, which was frustrating because we understood our odds and we knew there was a chance for us to conceive using our sperm and egg. A lot of the doctors we saw, read the word balanced translocation and gave up on us. Dr. M spent lots of time going over our numbers and percentages, I felt like she was actually interested and cared about understanding our chromosome imbalance.
We used clomid for two cycles, one cycle ended in a Chemical pregnancy. I've just started the IVF process and will be going in next Friday for my first injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly Briley)
Like I said we are just now starting IVF next week. As soon as I gave them the green light, I received an email with a detailed schedule on injections and procedures. She was very informative.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Everyone is very friendly and you feel like they are cheering you on. They remember you as well, which I appreciate.
Most of my appointments prior to IVF were covered by insurance. The IVF process we were told it would be around 25,000- 30,000 depending on which medications will be covered and the final pricing from Genesis for PGD/PGS
Dr. Mersereau encourages only 1 embryo transfer. They've had a great success rate on 1. She explained that 2 embryos can lead to twins or even quadruplets which can be dangerous/ high risk pregnancies.

Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr. Young was willing to transfer two PGS normal 5BCs because we had some concern over my uterine lining and the grades weren't so hot. One took and was born healthy...He counseled me thoroughly on all of the risks...He's warm and personable. He goes the extra mile to be available. I haven't been in active treatment with him for years due to insurance reasons, but he still answers my questions as a second opinion. Out of the five REs that I've worked with closely, he's my favorite by far. Both in knowledge and in personality. Just the best.
Wendy [nurse at UNC Fertility] is a rock star. She is so organized, caring, knowledgeable, and genuine. Just a wonderful person and member of the care team...Organized, efficient, knowledgeable, and accessible. I would go there and only there but for insurance reasons. Dr. Young and nurse Wendy Snyder are two of my favorite healthcare providers ever. They gave me my son after a loooong road with two prior losses (9w, 20w) and a severe Asherman's diagnosis refractory to two previous surgeries.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
He's personable, warm, and knowledgeable. He considers patient ideas and explains why they are good/not good. He's incredibly available. He even answers my questions as a second opinion years after I haven't been in treatment with him due to insurance reasons.
Be thankful! He's the best.
Dr. Young listens and is open to the patient's ideas and suggestions. If he doesn't think they're a good idea, he'll explain why clearly and patiently. He's warm and personable. He goes the extra mile to be available. I haven't been in active treatment with him for years due to insurance reasons, but he still answers my questions as a second opinion. Out of the five REs that I've worked with closely, he's my favorite by far. Both in knowledge and in personality. Just the best.
We did an agonist protocol with lupron, menopur 75u, and follistim 375u. I had 19 collected (way more than expected), 10 mature, and three blasts. This is on par with my previous cycles. Two were PGS normal, and one is my son. He also coordinated treatment of my Asherman's syndrome prior to transfer. Another RE at a major academic medical center had told me that I had a 90% chance of needing a surrogate after two surgeries to lyse the adhesions had failed. They just kept coming back. But Dr. Young was willing to do a novel treatment strategy - we did surgery to lyse the adhesions, then did a post-surgery estrace with a foley balloon (common), and then did weekly follow up clinic hysteroscopies to lyse the early reforming adhesions (novel). This last step was key and ultimately, I believe, led to the cure. After the surgeries, my lining was initially in the 5's. But with months of estrogen, it finally reached &gt; 7 mm and trilaminar. We did the transfer and had success. I'm forever grateful to Dr. Young.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Snyder)
Wendy is a rock star. She is so organized, caring, knowledgeable, and genuine. Just a wonderful person and member of the care team. She strikes the perfect balance of being positive but also realistic. She knew all details of my cycle and always sent updates/responses promptly. If anything, she works too hard and too late! We still keep in touch years later.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
UNC is stellar. Organized, efficient, knowledgeable, and accessible. I would go there and only there but for insurance reasons. Dr. Young and nurse Wendy Snyder are two of my favorite healthcare providers ever. They gave me my son after a loooong road with two prior losses (9w, 20w) and a severe Asherman's diagnosis refractory to two previous surgeries. In my eyes, the place is magic. I still keep in touch with the team and visit with my son at least yearly.
I did the Attain shared risk program, which was around $30k. I paid for medications fully out of pocket since I had no fertility coverage at the time. We had success on the only transfer from our first retrieval with nothing to freeze, so in a sense I overpaid, but I don't care. We have our son and we had good reasons to do the shared risk. My prognosis wasn't so hot after two prior losses and an Asherman's diagnosis.
Dr. Young was willing to transfer two PGS normal 5BCs because we had some concern over my uterine lining and the grades weren't so hot. One took and was born healthy. I would have loved healthy twins, too. He counseled me thoroughly on all of the risks. I'm in healthcare myself and was informed.
Steven Young

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr. Fritz is clearly a leading expert in his field, is willing to take risks and adapt treatment as necessary for patients, and clearly cares about success. He is good at explaining concepts and procedures. He is not always the best listener, which can be critical in adapting unsuccessful strategies early (since management is pretty decentralized), or in making patients feel confident about course of action...Dr. Fritz put me on his "eye of newt" protocol
[UNC] Strengths: clean, INCREDIBLE nursing staff, great email communication, good and responsive support with insurance Weaknesses: not always flexible to accommodate difficult patient protocols, appointments not always on time...Amazing. The nursing team makes all the difference in cycle management....Dr. Fritz is clearly a leading expert in his field, is willing to take risks and adapt treatment as necessary for patients,
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Be proactive about your own case management.
In my 3rd - 5th IVF cycles Dr. Fritz put me on his "eye of newt" protocol (estrace flare + HGH), which involved 375 Gonal + 75 Menapur + Lupron + estrace and 20 units of Human growth hormone (HGH). I had very unresponsive ovaries. My memory is that critical factors in these cycles tended to be management at the beginning of the cycle; whether we could successfully suppress follicle growth to get them to grow together, which apparently is a problem with severe DOR. Original intent in treatment was to save freezable embryos before trying to conceive; by the 5th cycle with 0 freezable embryos my goal was simply to have a baby. For each cycle we transferred available embryos at day 3 because there were so few. In the 5th cycle one of the three embryos resulted in a life birth. (whew!)
Amazing. The nursing team makes all the difference in cycle management.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe Marc Fritz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
I had very few embryos and unproductive ovaries, so by the last cycle (#5) we just threw all 3 in. Dr. Fritz discussed risks with me, and his approach seemed to be consistent with my preferences and the specifics of my case.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
[Natalie Crawford] Strengths: Wonderful at explaining options visually and listening. Warm, compassionate, and affirming. Weaknesses: Did not anticipate devastation and confusion I would feel emailing very negative test results before explaining them to me. Muddled order of treatments for multiple diagnoses....Did not prepare me well for what to expect during treatment with very low ovarian reserve. Did not monitor progress early enough, lead to cancelled cycle.
[UNC] Strengths: clean, INCREDIBLE nursing staff, great email communication, good and responsive support with insurance Weaknesses: not always flexible to accommodate difficult patient protocols, appointments not always on time...The nursing staff at UNC are amazing. Compassionate, responsive, proactive in problem solving....To maximize chances of success for women with severe DOR, there should probably some flexibility around start dates.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Strengths: Wonderful at explaining options visually and listening. Warm, compassionate, and affirming. Weaknesses: Did not anticipate devastation and confusion I would feel emailing very negative test results before explaining them to me. Muddled order of treatments for multiple diagnoses. Gave conflicting information with other doctors in the practice. Did not prepare me well for what to expect during treatment with very low ovarian reserve. Did not monitor progress early enough, lead to cancelled cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Be proactive in raising concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Excellent at explaining diagnosis and options when I was in front of her.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility.
My insurance covered nearly all costs except cycle management fees ($500?)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
First, one cycle ended with an exceptionally painful ovarian cyst rupture after egg retrieval, and doctors claimed it was a coincidence -- when I was doubled over in pain they said it was more likely to be appendicitis than a result of their procedure. As far as I could tell, they do not keep data on complications from egg retrievals, so they should probably listen to their patients. Second, I had two diagnoses: severe DOR and septate uterus. Doctor suggested I immediately embark on as many cycles of IVF as possible to freeze embryos for future children before correcting septate uterus to make implantation more likely. I went through four cycles of treatment (one cancelled) with zero freezable embryos, and three fresh embryo transfers before a different doctor in the clinic (not mine) finally suggested we correct abnormality before spending money on another cycle (as I had been suggesting!). On IVF cycle after hysteroscopy implantation was successful. Third, standard use of estridiol pills to sync me up with the rest of the patients for clinical management was completely counterproductive -- my follicles simply did not respond and would not grow together under this treatment. The only cycle that I successfully retrieved a decent number of eggs, my natural cycle just happened to sync up with the start date. To maximize chances of success for women with severe DOR, there should probably some flexibility around start dates.
Natalie Crawford

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Fritz has been compassionate, empathetic, open to my feedback and ideas, listened to the concerns of myself and my husband, and is not afraid to touch me when he is talking to me. During pre-op for my polypectomy he came to see me and listened to my questions and talked to me instead of at me. He also checked on me on the night of the same day I had surgery.
They [UNC Fertility] just implemented a new online service where you can view your testing data, send emails to the doctors and nurses, and set appointments. I like this because it makes communication easier...Dr. Fritz is one of the best fertility doctors in the nation. He literally wrote the infertility textbook that is used in medical schools. I wouldn't go anywhere else. He has worked with us every step of the way to ensure that our questions were answered and that we understood every procedure and treatment we have done. He is warm and personable.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Be as open and honest as you possibly can. If you hold things back or don't tell him everything he can't provide you with the best quality service.
We have done three cycles of IUI with a dosage of 100mg of Clomid with each one and then a follicle scan to determine when I would ovulate and the best time to do the IUI. We have not gotten pregnant with any of these cycles.
I think the nursing staff at his office is wonderful. They will respond to emails in a timely manner and are very good with communication.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They just implemented a new online service where you can view your testing data, send emails to the doctors and nurses, and set appointments. I like this because it makes communication easier. Before the online system I was less than impressed with how they reported testing results but since it is much better. They are kind and compassionate and will work with you on scheduling. As is necessary in the fertility business they are open 7 days a week so you can schedule treatment for Saturday or Sunday if you need to. It is a small clinic and they do have lots of students (fellows) that come there to observe and learn.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
My insurance paid for all 3 of our IUI cycles AFTER I hit my deductible amount of $2,000. I think I paid a little over 300.00 for the first cycle and then my deductible kicked in. The rest I'm not sure about.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
When we first started seeing them last year they were not good with calling with test results but this year (2016) they put an online system in place that makes it much easier to get testing results.
Raleigh

I feel like the doctor [Anne Steiner] went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which
I hated going to this clinic [UNC Fertility] because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other office also found fibroids that were missed or that I was never told about. Luckily, the fibroids are small and not in an area that affects fertility. I still feel like I should have been told about them...if they even found them in the first place. The other issue is that I am over 40 and Dr. Steiner went into my care with an expectation of failure despite the fact that my AMH number is good for my age. I had to request this test myself, by the way. I now have guidance from a gynecologist who found that although my thyroid is within normal range it could be better for fertility. This was never even discussed at UNC. News flash: more and more women are having babies in their 40s. Although more difficult, it is not impossible.
Find another doctor.
I feel like the doctor went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance.
I was put on Clomid to increase my chances due to my age. I took an Ovidrel trigger two cycles. I ovulate regularly but an OPK missed it one month so it was decided this was a good way to go. I had 3 IUIs.
My nurse was fantastic. She had a wonderful bedside manner and was very caring.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The difference between the ultrasounds I had here versus at my new gynecologist's office were night and day. The doctors at UNC missed the mature dermoid and often had trouble finding my left ovary which meant the ultrasounds were often very uncomfortable. The nurse at the new office found everything easily and walked me through the whole process. The procedure was not at all uncomfortable and she explained what she found and answered all of my questions. Huge difference. I hated going to this clinic because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey.
My insurance covered 3 IUIs, but the clinic hits you with additional costs that are not covered. Examples of some of these costs is a $100 administrative fee and a sperm thawing fee. I was not told about either of these beforehand which I don't feel is too much to ask. Just let me know about all the out-of-pocket costs upfront. I do feel the administrative fee is just a way for them to get around the contracted insurance rate, however.