7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000

Dr. Peavey takes her time with you. She explains everything thoroughly, often drawing diagrams and writing down key terms...[new patient advice] Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions--she doesn't mind, and she's also good about quickly responding to questions you submit via mychart...[she] explained the odds of pregnancy with each of the different methods
[UNC Fertility clinic]It is in a nice building. The staff is friendly. It takes a while to get an appointment, but I guess that goes with the territory...[nurses] They're very friendly and efficient...I think a weakness is the clinic's approach to financial counseling. The financial counselor makes it feel like just a transaction. The way the costs are laid out and discussed is overwhelming...
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey takes her time with you. She explains everything thoroughly, often drawing diagrams and writing down key terms. Sometimes I wished she had given me more information. For example, when I asked if there was anything I could do to improve the number of eggs she could retrieve during IVF, she said there was nothing I could do. After our visit, I read It Starts With the Egg, and it sounds like there are plenty of things I could try--reducing the intensity of my exercise for a few months before retrieval, taking various vitamins, acupuncture, etc. I'm not sure why she didn't discuss these things, perhaps she doesn't agree with the advice given in that book (although the author cites a lot of scientific studies), or maybe she doesn't want to overwhelm people with information because it could increase stress, I'm not sure. But for me, I like to have as much information as possible, and it felt good to find something to act on--like taking vitamins or getting more sleep or switching my exercise routine from running intervals to low intensity walking--because so much feels outside my control right now. I wish she had acknowledged that some sources recommend these things, and explained what she thought, rather than saying there's nothing I can do.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey is very nice. She takes her time with you and explains everything thoroughly, often drawing diagrams and writing key terms down for you as you talk. With this process, I think there's a built-in level of feeling like a number, and less like a human, and I'm not sure it's the doctor's fault. Dr. Peavey explained the odds of pregnancy with each of the different methods. I think the more dehumanizing part comes in with the financial counselors and fertility financing companies. In those conversations, starting a family feels like a commodity, with a very big price tag. It's hard to stomach. Dr. Peavey was not involved in those conversations, and of course she is not responsible for the state of our health insurance system or the expense of fertility treatments, but it's all part of the process that she is tasked with leading, as the doctor, and the expense looms in the background of our conversations, especially when weighing the odds of a successful outcome with the number of cycles I should invest in. I think Dr. Peavey deals with that reality as best she can--she is kind and works hard to give you all the information you need to make an informed decision.
Describe the protocols Mary Peavey used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
I haven't gotten to this stage.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
They're very friendly and efficient.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
I have had a good experience so far. It is in a nice building. The staff is friendly. It takes a while to get an appointment, but I guess that goes with the territory--I feel like I've spent a lot of time waiting while trying to become pregnant. i haven't begun treatment (still waiting! :)), so I can't comment on that yet. I think a weakness is the clinic's approach to financial counseling. The financial counselor makes it feel like just a transaction. The way the costs are laid out and discussed is overwhelming. I came home and had to lie in bed the rest of the afternoon because it made me feel so bad. Of course, fertility treatments are expensive, and my health insurance doesn't cover it, so we needed to have this conversation. But, I wish they could come up with a more supportive way of sharing the information. It was a bit of a shock to the system at first. I think another weakness is they don't partner with an acupuncture clinic. Other clinics in the area allow an acupuncturist to give treatments before and after an embryo transfer, but UNC does not allow it. I started acupuncture a few months ago in hopes of improving my egg quality, and I've come to really enjoy it. I wish UNC allowed my acupuncturist to visit the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility.
I haven't begun my treatment yet because it is so expensive, I have to save money for it. It will cost about $27,000 for three IVF cycles, plus the cost of medicine and the cost of genetic testing. I would like to bank embryos if possible, so I am estimating it will cost at least $50,000.
Describe Mary Peavey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
None
Mary Peavey
Raleigh

I was unaware of the treatment protocols for IUI. Dr. Mersereau prescribed me clomid for all my IUIs, but she never gave me a trigger shot. I just used ovulation predictor kits which are not always very accurate. I felt like it was just a guessing game and I wish we had been more aggressive with the specifics of the treatments. As a doctor, she was very kind, compassionate, and thorough when diagnosing me. I just did not agree with the treatments.
The clinic [UNC Fertility-Raleigh] was beautiful. They had an entirely separate area for specimen collection and a lovely waiting room. It felt like a spa. It was not, however, close to UNC Chapel Hill's campus like I thought it would be. It was closer to the airport which was a long drive for me.... The nursing staff were the ones who performed the IUI, I never even saw the doctor on those days. They were very kind and compassionate. They would always be so upbeat about our chances to conceive. When I called to say that the IUI didn't work and I needed to start a new round of treatment, they were so kind and compassionate about our grief.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Advocate for yourself and for your treatment plan.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She listened to me and answered all my questions. She understood that I had a crazy schedule working in healthcare, and she was very personable.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Mersereau used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Mersereau prescribed Clomid and an ovulation predictor kit (without going over how to use the OPK). Then we did IUI.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic was beautiful. They had an entirely separate area for specimen collection and a lovely waiting room. It felt like a spa. It was not, however, close to UNC Chapel Hill's campus like I thought it would be. It was closer to the airport which was a long drive for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.
Our insurance did not cover any costs of treatment (just lab work), so we paid out of pocket for everything. We never met with a financial team.
Describe Jennifer Mersereau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We did not get to embryo retrieval or transfers
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I do not think they were great at giving instructions for Ovulation predictor kits. I know that the directions are on the kit's box, but I wish the nurse had given specifics because there was already so much to remember with the infertility journey.
Jennifer Mersereau

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I feel like the doctor [Anne Steiner] went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which
I hated going to this clinic [UNC Fertility] because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other office also found fibroids that were missed or that I was never told about. Luckily, the fibroids are small and not in an area that affects fertility. I still feel like I should have been told about them...if they even found them in the first place. The other issue is that I am over 40 and Dr. Steiner went into my care with an expectation of failure despite the fact that my AMH number is good for my age. I had to request this test myself, by the way. I now have guidance from a gynecologist who found that although my thyroid is within normal range it could be better for fertility. This was never even discussed at UNC. News flash: more and more women are having babies in their 40s. Although more difficult, it is not impossible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Find another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
I feel like the doctor went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance.
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
I was put on Clomid to increase my chances due to my age. I took an Ovidrel trigger two cycles. I ovulate regularly but an OPK missed it one month so it was decided this was a good way to go. I had 3 IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
My nurse was fantastic. She had a wonderful bedside manner and was very caring.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The difference between the ultrasounds I had here versus at my new gynecologist's office were night and day. The doctors at UNC missed the mature dermoid and often had trouble finding my left ovary which meant the ultrasounds were often very uncomfortable. The nurse at the new office found everything easily and walked me through the whole process. The procedure was not at all uncomfortable and she explained what she found and answered all of my questions. Huge difference. I hated going to this clinic because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
My insurance covered 3 IUIs, but the clinic hits you with additional costs that are not covered. Examples of some of these costs is a $100 administrative fee and a sperm thawing fee. I was not told about either of these beforehand which I don't feel is too much to ask. Just let me know about all the out-of-pocket costs upfront. I do feel the administrative fee is just a way for them to get around the contracted insurance rate, however.
Anne Steiner

2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Fritz] was very cold, lacked the ability to listen. His immediate and then persistent insistence that I use my sisters eggs gave me the impression the clinic is overly concerned with their success numbers. I was informed of my infertility in one breath, and pushed toward my estranged sister's eggs in the next... I suppose that was a natural transition for him, but not for us. He also had a constant sniffle and struggled to look us in the eye, constantly staring at his computer. I was also pushed toward surgery, and then could not get him or his office to follow up as I tried to schedule it...
Beautiful office [at UNC] with coffee and water available. Front desk/reception was somewhat disorganized. Nurses were good, no nonsense, quick and to the point...Very little interaction with the nurses. The front desk/reception was unorganized and unprofessional at times, of which the nurses had a hand in. Otherwise, they really just checked my blood pressure and weight, confirmed the info on my chart was correct...
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Met with him 3 times. He was very cold, lacked the ability to listen. His immediate and then persistent insistence that I use my sisters eggs gave me the impression the clinic is overly concerned with their success numbers. I was informed of my infertility in one breath, and pushed toward my estranged sister's eggs in the next... I suppose that was a natural transition for him, but not for us. He also had a constant sniffle and struggled to look us in the eye, constantly staring at his computer. I was also pushed toward surgery, and then could not get him or his office to follow up as I tried to schedule it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be mentally prepared to feel treated as just another patient in a factory of infertility. Science and numbers are his strength, not compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
He repeatedly asked the same questions, to which I had the same answers. Tests were done, but results were not always shared. Complete lack of response when attempting to schedule surgery.
Describe the protocols Marc Fritz (retired) used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
My routine physical revealed the presence of uterine fibroids, which after a few other steps, led me to this clinic. He ordered the blood work, which ultimately sealed my fate... Nearly nondetectable AMH. He ordered the X-ray test to determine the patency of my tubes, which were determined to be fully open. At which point, he recommended surgery to remove the fibroids as a first step toward the possibility of conceiving. Our discussion left off with me needing to check into work and insurance, at which point I would call to schedule. I did all this as planned, but could not get through to get it on the books. I gave up after several phone calls, one I was able to get with another clinic.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Beautiful office with coffee and water available. Front desk/reception was somewhat disorganized. Nurses were good, no nonsense, quick and to the point.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility.
It's been a while, and I have a terrible memory... But, I believe the charges were around $400 to sit and speak with the Doctor- to get results and recommendations.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Steiner] was compassionate with us, but sometimes seemed like she was unfamiliar with our particular case and needed to be reminded... She was kind but we didn't have much contact with her apart from during consultations. All procedures were performed by technicians or other doctors and all communication was through her nurse. At times it seemed that she was unfamiliar with the details of our case and needed to be reminded.
Fast appointment scheduling, kind front desk staff [UNC Fertility]. Difficult to find out financial information and payment process was not clearly laid out before IUI treatment. We found that on the day of the insemination we were asked to pay $750 upfront.... All procedures were performed by technicians or other doctors and all communication was through her nurse. At times it seemed that she was unfamiliar with the details of our case and needed to be reminded.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Request that she explain all options at your meeting because she did not offer to speak on the phone or through mychart, she always requested that we come in for a consult, which for us cost a 60 dollar copay.
She was compassionate with us, but sometimes seemed like she was unfamiliar with our particular case and needed to be reminded
We had 12 vials of frozen sperm from my husband because he is undergoing chemotherapy right now. We chose to use 3-6 vials for IUI and save the rest for possible IVF. We tried two IUI and both were unsuccessful. We are currently deciding whether to stay with Dr. Steiner or try a different clinic for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cathy G)
Fast communication, sometimes not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Fast appointment scheduling, kind front desk staff. Difficult to find out financial information and payment process was not clearly laid out before IUI treatment. We found that on the day of the insemination we were asked to pay $750 upfront.
750 per IUI, IVF apparently 22,000.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Doctor didn't order some preliminary tests, including vit.D.
Anne Steiner
Raleigh
She [Dr. Merereau] is excellent and professional. She listened and gave good feedback. She gave realistic expectations and was compassionate when I had a miscarriage. I am not sure she was aware of the miscommunication that was going on in the clinic between patients and staff...Maybe if I made follow up visits with her I wouldn't have had so many miscommunications with the staff...Dr. M is great.
The office [UNC] needs to have a stronger organizational structure in order for me to recommend anyone to come to this clinic. I could have come at a bad time (changing of administration). I had a botched IUI and twice they said I never called to schedule my IUI (notifying of period), even though I called and talked to the nurse who had to get my clomid prescribed. They did an IUI even though it was clear I had already ovulated....They had different information and instructions depending on the nurse and the day I called. I felt like it took a long time to get a clear response...
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She is excellent and professional. She listened and gave good feedback. She gave realistic expectations and was compassionate when I had a miscarriage. I am not sure she was aware of the miscommunication that was going on in the clinic between patients and staff.
Dr. M is great. The problem was with the staff and communication.
IUI with clomid, monitored at home with UPT (clearblue) x 3. one resulted in miscarriage at 6w.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The office needs to have a stronger organizational structure in order for me to recommend anyone to come to this clinic. I could have come at a bad time (changing of administration). I had a botched IUI and twice they said I never called to schedule my IUI (notifying of period), even though I called and talked to the nurse who had to get my clomid prescribed. They did an IUI even though it was clear I had already ovulated. I felt like they were just trying to make money and that was frusterating.
my insurance covered some of it, but they made me pay before all my services in full and i felt like thats all they cared about.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I already said it in another space.
Jennifer Mersereau
Raleigh

Dr. Peavey was attentive and it was obvious that she cared about our treatment...She was attentive and knowledgeable and was informed on our reason for seeking treatment. While we appreciated that in Dr. Peavey, there was a lack of communication regarding our care and I often wondered if the doctors that actually did the ultrasounds and other checkups communicated clearly to Dr. Peavey... I went to the clinic about 5 times and only saw her once.
This [financial communication] was the most frustrating part of going to this clinic [UNC Fertility]. We were told that a financial person would contact us and 3 months later we still hadn't heard from them. The costs of our treatment was unclear...The clinic was nicely decorated and there appear to be many qualified doctors there. It felt like the overall environment of the clinic was seeing humans as numbers. I did not feel like I got the best treatment due to a lack of communication between the individuals on my case.
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Ask lots of questions regarding who will be doing a lot of the follow-up care. I went to the clinic about 5 times and only saw her once.
Dr. Peavey was attentive and it was obvious that she cared about our treatment.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
This was the most frustrating part of going to this clinic. We were told that a financial person would contact us and 3 months later we still hadn't heard from them. The costs of our treatment was unclear.
Mary Peavey
2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Marc Fritz] is blunt and straightforward...He explained things well but I am in the medical profession. My husband left without understanding much, which is okay. However when it came down to testing at the end of a procedure I told him we hadn’t decided yet and he told me that he wouldn’t have done the procedure if he knew that. Okay I should have communicated better but he didn’t phrase this particular step as an option..
The clinic [UNC Fertility] was clean and professional looking. The staff was friendly but not forth coming with information. I had to ask them a lot of questions. There was some confusion with billing and that was frustrating...When talking with the financing people there was some confusing information provided via email and the call us if you have questions but if you don’t have time to talk to me when I call the first time why would I call back
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
He is blunt and straightforward
He talked to us he just didn’t seem to care what he was taking about In our situation
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Their scale wasn’t calibrated so I weighed almost 15lbs more at their office than anywhere which was not helpful and when I mentioned it she said you aren’t the first one to say that
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic was clean and professional looking. The staff was friendly but not forth coming with information. I had to ask them a lot of questions. There was some confusion with billing and that was frustrating
My insurance covered nothing so the cost of IVF was 35K
Describe Marc Fritz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
They only transfer one at a time always

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I experienced two early missed miscarriages while being treated under Dr. Crawford. I was still very new to infertility treatments and she was compassionate during both losses. She explained my options clearly, and understood that I needed time and space to make decisions for moving forward. She also performed my D&C for the first...Dr. Crawford is a very compassionate RE, who took the time to explain treatment plans to me when I was still very new to infertility. I found her to be kind and gentle,
The clinic's [UNC] support staff is phenomenal. They learn your name quickly and genuinely care to provide a good experience when infertility is very stressful. The clinic is very busy, so if they are running behind you will have longer than average wait times...I experienced two early missed miscarriages while being treated under Dr. Crawford. I was still very new to infertility treatments and she was compassionate during both losses. She explained my options clearly, and understood that I needed time and space to make decisions for moving forward.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
You don't have to fear being naive or emotional with her; she gets it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Crawford is a very compassionate RE, who took the time to explain treatment plans to me when I was still very new to infertility. I found her to be kind and gentle, particularly when I experienced two miscarriages while in her care.
Describe the protocols Natalie Crawford used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Four IUIs with Clomid.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic's support staff is phenomenal. They learn your name quickly and genuinely care to provide a good experience when infertility is very stressful. The clinic is very busy, so if they are running behind you will have longer than average wait times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility.
My treatments (excluding labs) were out of pocket for three of my four cycles. For my fourth, I'd changed insurance and the IUI was covered at 75%.
Natalie Crawford
Raleigh

While expensive he [Dr. Fritz] took time out. Encouraged us, and made sure we understood everything. He tried to put our mind at ease and seemed to really care. ... He was outgoing, knowledgeable very friendly and energetic. He took our opinions into consideration. It was more discussion than him just saying what we will do. I didn’t like that we didn’t see him for the iui’s
Strengths are location and facilities [UNC Fertility]. Weakness is office staff. They were late opening once. It’s hard to get people on the phone on weekends. The patient portal is wonderful and you get rapid responses using it. ... They were kind and compassionate. Seemed like they knew what they were doing. They were very friendly and encouraging.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be prepared for expensive treatment
While expensive he took time out. Encouraged us, and made sure we understood everything. He tried to put our mind at ease and seemed to really care.
He recommended in vitro or iui because of low sperm motility. We chose iui for cost. Wife took femara and clomid.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths are location and facilities. Weakness is office staff. They were late opening once. It’s hard to get people on the phone on weekends. The patient portal is wonderful and you get rapid responses using it.
Over $2000 foot consult and iui

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Because I never saw the same doctor twice, I received conflicting advice on going forward with procedures.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Mesen used what he described as the "standard" treatment for my diagnosis. When it didn't work, and when I had concerns about the timing (which proved to be valid) he dismissed them and declared I was too fat to get pregnant and needed bariatric surgery. Not only did he defeat my dreams of childbearing, he put a substantial dent in my self-esteem.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tolga Mesen at UNC Fertility?
Listen to your gut when you know something doesn't feel right. Advocate for yourself no matter what.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tolga Mesen at UNC Fertility?
I only saw Dr. Mesen on my first and last visit to the clinic. He never called when I had a concern. I would only receive a brief email assuring me that I was getting the highest quality care. Furthermore, I never, ever saw the same doctor twice for monitoring or procedures.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Honestly, I never got to know the nurses over the curse of more than a year under the care of the clinic.
Tolga Mesen