7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Coward did a varicocele repair, and it went very smoothly, and recovery was relatively easy...[he] wasn't exactly involved in cycles. He addressed male factor issues...He didn't seem rushed during our appointments. He was open to listening to us and took the time to explain things and answer questions. His kindness and acknowledgment our pain from infertility and miscarriage also meant a lot.
my biggest complaint about this [UNC Fertility] clinic is that I find the front desk very difficult to communicate with. They never answer the phone so you always have to leave a message...Sometimes they don't call you back at all (messaging through the patient portal is sometimes better)...related to costs, it wasn't always clear what was happening. For example, one time the front desk said we have a "credit", but we had never really gotten a bill for any of the clinic visits
How was your experience with Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Coward did a varicocele repair, and it went very smoothly, and recovery was relatively easy. I wish that was all that mattered, but during this emotional time, bedside manner also matters. And Dr. Coward is great. He isn't overly emotional or warm, but he has a way of showing respect and kindness. He was easy to talk to and seemed present during appointments. I trusted his medical advice and skills. He was clear about what he knew vs what he didn't, and it seemed like he was up to date on literature and also weighing general recommendations with our particular situation. I would definitely recommend him for any male-factor needs!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Like many fertility doctors, it takes time to get in. Otherwise, this advice isn't specific to Dr. Coward, but it has helped me with him and other doctors. And that it is important to do your own homework too and be prepared with questions. In this instance, it was helpful to look at the semen analysis and other labs ahead of time. Then I could be prepared to ask him if something looks off but he hasn't brought it up. He was always willing to explain why that didn't concern him or thank me for bringing it to his attention.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Coward seemed to really care and want the best for us. It didn't feel like he was pushing us into treatments. He didn't seem rushed during our appointments. He was open to listening to us and took the time to explain things and answer questions. His kindness and acknowledgment our pain from infertility and miscarriage also meant a lot.
Describe the protocols Matt Coward used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Coward wasn't exactly involved in cycles. He addressed male factor issues, primarily through varicocele surgery. It is too early to say if it has helped.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I haven't interacted with them much, but all the interactions were positive so far.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Dr. Coward is great and worth the following! However, my biggest complaint about this clinic is that I find the front desk very difficult to communicate with. They never answer the phone so you always have to leave a message. And then sit by your phone all day hoping not to miss their call, which is hard if you're trying to work. Sometimes they don't call you back at all (messaging through the patient portal is sometimes better). When you finally talk to someone, it doesn't seem like they know what is going on and sometimes they can also be very rude. I get that their job is probably really hard sometimes, but these interactions have made a hard experience worse.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matt Coward at UNC Fertility.
About the previous group of questions - I'm not sure if I could answer them all appropriately given we haven't undergone assisted fertility treatment yet. But related to costs, it wasn't always clear what was happening. For example, one time the front desk said we have a "credit", but we had never really gotten a bill for any of the clinic visits. The varicocele surgery was a different story as it was conducted in a different facility. We got bills and financial information from that, but that was luckily covered by insurance (after deductible and coinsurance).
Describe Matt Coward's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
As described in an earlier section, my main complaint is the front desk/scheduling people.
Matt Coward

2020 - 2022, Consult
Dr. Coward is very knowledgeable and appears to be a very skilled surgeon, but I always felt he was quick to promote drastic procedures without evidence to justify them. It's always felt as if he's pushed me to different surgeries, not out of necessity, but more out of a hope that it may do something...The consultations felt more like being told what to do without having a conversation about options. The diagnoses were always extreme and I was hesitant to follow through with them. I did not feel comfortable or heard.
This clinic [UNC Fertility] is well connected with local fertility clinics and well respected. Their weaknesses is that they're extremely booked so consultations and surgeries are booked months out. They are also so busy that it is easy to feel like a number and not a patient...I only had interactions with the nursing staff when I was scheduled for a surgery I did not request. It took multiple phone calls with multiple people to cancel the surgery.
How was your experience with Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Coward is very knowledgeable and appears to be a very skilled surgeon, but I always felt he was quick to promote drastic procedures without evidence to justify them. It's always felt as if he's pushed me to different surgeries, not out of necessity, but more out of a hope that it may do something. I understand male factor infertility is hard to diagnose, but he would recommend surgeries with no clear benefit, but was simply hopeful that after the surgery I "may" see an increase. The surgeries were also booked months out and also require months of recovery before seeing benefits, so pursuing any of the surgeries would put us behind another year in our fertility journey. I frequently felt like I was not heard and I was being steered towards surgeries with no clear benefit. I started seeking consultations with other urologists.
If you have a clear diagnosis for male factor infertility, I'm sure he is a great urologist to operate on you. If you have unexplained male factor, I would take all recommendations with a grain of salt and seek a second opinion before pursuing a surgery.
I was diagnosed with minimal varicoceles although my semen analyses were fine. He recommended I pursue a varicocele repair although there was no evidence it was necessary or would improve my already acceptable semen quality. I was told my numbers were definitely good enough for IVF so we pursued that. We had a failed transfer and in the review he again recommended varicocele repair as well as TESE. Upon receiving second opinions from two other urologists, I am comfortable declining the two procedures as their is no known advantages from either procedure to my specific case.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
This clinic is well connected with local fertility clinics and well respected. Their weaknesses is that they're extremely booked so consultations and surgeries are booked months out. They are also so busy that it is easy to feel like a number and not a patient.
Consultations are $350 for an hour, possibly more now.
Matt Coward
Raleigh

Linnea is level headed and calm, which is a good match for anyone who may be feeling emotional about where they are in their infertility journey. She has answers any questions I have had along the way fully, let me know what I *dont* have so we can try to figure out what is causing my infertility, and has taken this whole process step by step...
[UNC Fertility staff] They are usually on time and I don’t spend long waiting for my scheduled appointment. It’s easy to schedule appointments and they are responsive in their online question portal. The accounting team is proactive in letting me know what I should expect to spend for each visit...My first ultrasound was close to $500, but with that I reached my max and all other appointments have been 10% of the procedure. Most things have been insurance eligible.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
It can feel like things might be moving slowly, but Dr. Goodman has suggested the right treatment/procedures in the right order for me to be able to understand why we are having trouble conceiving, so trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Goodman is a very kind person who explains everything very clearly and was the first person to be able to give me real answers about my infertility.
Describe the protocols Linnea Goodman used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Goodman was able to finally confirm that I did not have PCOs due to some labs that were run. I’m currently taking Levitrozole, but after a few months with no pregnancy, we did an ultrasound and found that I was already superovulating, so we didn’t increase my dosage. Then, we did an HSG to see if I had a blockage. No blockage was found, but they were able to see that my uterus shake was abnormal, so we did a 3D ultrasound and they were able to confirm that I had a uterine septum. The next step for me is to have a procedure to remove the septum, and continue trying until next steps are required.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
The nursing staff is great, my one pain point is that I requested a female doctor, and my first visit they had a male intern there assigned to me with the doctor. I decided that in the end I didn’t care enough to say anything, but it would have been appreciated if the nursing staff looked at my request before having a male intern participate in my procedures.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They are usually on time and I don’t spend long waiting for my scheduled appointment. It’s easy to schedule appointments and they are responsive in their online question portal. The accounting team is proactive in letting me know what I should expect to spend for each visit. The only negative is my comment on the previous question.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility.
Describe Linnea Goodman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Goodman made us felt comfortable...listened to our concerns before making recommendations, and was flexible in helping come up with what felt like a customized plan...told us the baseline and mid cycle ultrasound were not completely necessary. This saved us the stress of having to make 2 additional trips plus taking time off work, and the cost of the ultrasounds...she had a quick ultrasound set up just to confirm before we went through with the IUI, and we were not charged...
UNC Fertility is very advanced from a technological standpoint. It was very easy to set up an initial consultation, we received email communications in a timely manner and were directed to a patient portal online that was detailed and accurate, and made us feel comfortable...[Dr. Goodman] listened to our concerns before making recommendations, and was flexible in helping come up with what felt like a customized plan...
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Goodman was thorough in her descriptions and explanations about the process, the science behind it, but also the involvement of mother nature in creating life. Although she may have been blunt at times, it was with good intention. She was comfortable with using previous ultrasounds to identify the viability of the eggs, but then when the day of IUI came, she had a quick ultrasound set up just to confirm before we went through with the IUI, and we were not charged. So although it was a bit unexpected to have an ultrasound done when you are going in for IUI, it made us feel good that she wanted to be extra cautious and wasn't going to charge us since it wasn't something that had been in our original plans. We felt very good leaving Dr. Goodman's office because she was clear with her instructions and the next steps involved, and took our comments and concerns into consideration prior to making any recommendations.
Relax, and ask lots of questions. She is very down to earth and will be happy to answer you and listen to your concerns.
Dr. Goodman made us felt comfortable, speaking to us in a practical manner while also explaining in detail some of the answers to our questions. She listened to our concerns before making recommendations, and was flexible in helping come up with what felt like a customized plan, not a cookie cutter list of next steps she would give to everyone else.
We had done 3 cycles of Letrozole, then 2 cycles of Letrozole with injection, through a different doctor prior to coming to see Dr. Goodman. We discussed the fact that we were interested in IUI since it was now covered under our insurance plan. We were on our 31st cycle of trying, and Dr. Goodman agreed that IUI would be appropriate. We stayed with Letrozole and had a choice of doing a day 3 baseline ultrasound, followed by a mid cycle ultrasound prior to the IUI. Since it involved travel of over 2 hours for each visit, and since we had previously done treatments that included ultrasounds which the records transferred over, Dr. Goodman told us the baseline and mid cycle ultrasound were not completely necessary. This saved us the stress of having to make 2 additional trips plus taking time off work, and the cost of the ultrasounds. We did not see success on our first cycle of IUI, and then on our second cycle the coronavirus shut down treatments, but we are hopeful to return for future treatment as soon as possible.
Raleigh

Dr. Mersereau is more on the blunt side, but I like that about her. I would rather know the truth. She is always willing to answer all of our questions, and even met with us late once when my husband was running late...We are unexplained fertility. We have done 3 IUI's + 2 IUI's with clomid. Additionally, we have done 1 round of IVF, which was unsuccessful. Fortunately, we bought 3 cycles upfront.
[nurse of UNC Fertility] responds so quick to emails, and honestly, I feel she is holding my hand every step of the way...I like that UNC allows you to purchase multiple cycles upfront...First 3 IUI's were $300 a piece (with help of insurance), the next 2 IU's with clomid were $1000 each. We paid about $30K for 3 cycles of IVF and have used one.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Overall, I like Dr. M. I was referred to her by 2 friends, one who is an OB, so that was comforting. I do wish, however, that in the past we had been a bit more aggressive. I wish that we would have been encouraged to go straight to IVF after 3 failed IUI's. I do feel that she cares for her patients, and I do recommend her overall. She practices very evidenced-based medicine.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Come with all of your questions, b/c otherwise, you may forget them. If you have a question, ASK it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I Dr. Merserau is more on the blunt side, but I like that about her. I would rather know the truth. She is always willing to answer all of our questions, and even met with us late once when my husband was running late.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Mersereau used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy)
Mindy was great- responds so quick to emails, and honestly, I feel she is holding my hand every step of the way.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
UNC has gotten us in quickly, and overall we have been pleased with our experience. I like that UNC allows you to purchase multiple cycles upfront, but I wish they allowed you to know the sex of the embryos prior to transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.
Describe Jennifer Mersereau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
On our first transfer, we did 1 embryo. On our second transfer, we did 2. Neither was successful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I wouldn't say this was necessarily fault on the part of the doctors, but I just feel that my husband got some info from the repro endocrinologist that was not completely in sync with what I got from Dr. M-- this was likely my husband's fault, since I believe he was misinterpreting the info. I would recommend for you and your partner to attend office appointments together.
Raleigh
We candidly told Dr. Fritz that we wanted to pursue other options before turning to IVF. Although it went against statistics, he supported us trying Clomid for a number of cycles and offered the option of Invocell. I do feel as though he went out of his way to balance both statistics and medical knowledge with the understanding that we were not trying to compromise on our faith...He offered options that would allow us to feel comfortable with the number of embryos in storage after our first treatment, while carefully outlining the pros and cons.
I became very familiar with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility and was able to talk to someone relatively quickly throughout my treatment process - no matter the question. I utilized the patient portal and phone calls a lot...Some appointments felt slightly rushed...[clinic error]my IVF cycle had to be pushed back a few months as there was confusion between the clinic and my insurance company
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
When I first saw Dr. Fritz, I had come from a clinic that only wanted to pursue IVF. As Christians, my husband and I had some pretty big reservations about what that meant for us. We candidly told Dr. Fritz that we wanted to pursue other options before turning to IVF. Although it went against statistics, he supported us trying Clomid for a number of cycles and offered the option of Invocell. I do feel as though he went out of his way to balance both statistics and medical knowledge with the understanding that we were not trying to compromise on our faith. After a lot of prayer and an unfortunate loss, we went forward with IVF. He offered options that would allow us to feel comfortable with the number of embryos in storage after our first treatment, while carefully outlining the pros and cons.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be honest and open. He shows little judgement. However, remember that he is seeing hundreds of patients and as much as he will try to review your records just before your appointment, you may find yourself having to advocate for yourself and reminding him of things that you've discussed in the past.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy was extremely responsive to all of my questions. In my case, I went through a rare complication that I felt as though I had to strongly advocate for myself. I was told that I likely just had a bug, but it turned out to be extremely serious. I think it could have been handled slightly differently, but my frequency of questions probably caused my own symptoms to be taken less seriously. When I went through IVF, she was extremely helpful and patient.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic itself was very comfortable and felt like a home for quite some time - I probably visited there 30+ times. One thing that I didn't realize wasn't normal until I went to another practice was that the waiting room was always packed. Some appointments felt slightly rushed.
Describe Marc Fritz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
UNC as a practice has a very strict criteria that they follow to consider transferring any more than one embryo - age, history, etc. I was not offered the option to transfer any more than one.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I am lucky enough to have fertility coverage through my insurance. But it was very clear that this is not something that their billing department typically deals with. As a result, my IVF cycle had to be pushed back a few months as there was confusion between the clinic and my insurance company. It was a bit frustrating, and I had to make tons of phone calls to try to get things lined up.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
My wife and I worked predominantly with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team. They were caring and sincere, however, we did feel that they weren't willing to explore options such as double IUI in a cycle or InvoCell. Her team responded fairly quickly to messages. ... After approx 6 months of orals, we attempted IUI with femara twice, once with a trigger shot. The 3rd IUI we used femara with a trigger shot (ovidrel) before IUI then pregnyl afterwards followed by vaginal suppositories of progesterone. Unfortunately all with no success.
[UNC Fertility is] Very welcoming, clean, professional. I like that it was on the 3rd floor which allowed privacy. There is some miscommunication with the financial department and I would be vigilant with your information and payments. Twice we received a bill in the mail after we had already paid in full for the "all inclusive" procedure. They corrected this after we showed them the paid balance.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
My wife and I worked predominantly with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team. They were caring and sincere, however, we did feel that they weren't willing to explore options such as double IUI in a cycle or InvoCell. Her team responded fairly quickly to messages. We worked with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau once for an US and she was very quick in and out of the room. At times we felt like we were asking questions to try and keep her in the room to explain further.
Come in with your questions on paper and be prepared. Be sure to give your entire story in a succinct manner including what meds you've taken, menstrual cycle regularities, family/social history, and other pertinent information. This will allow you to maximize your visit.
Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team was helpful and caring. They listened and asked questions to make sure they understood the care and treatment we were hoping for.
Tried multiple cycles of moderate and then high dose clomid by itself for approximately 3 cycles. Once we found out my wife wasn't producing the expected number of follicles, we switch to Femara for 3+ cycles. This showed some improvements but we never fully were sure if we had 2 follicles. It showed at least one on US but they suspected the second to be large enough to mature. After approx 6 months of orals, we attempted IUI with femara twice, once with a trigger shot. The 3rd IUI we used femara with a trigger shot (ovidrel) before IUI then pregnyl afterwards followed by vaginal suppositories of progesterone. Unfortunately all with no success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindi)
The staff was cordial and professional, however there was some mix up on when to take the Ovidrel injection. The doc told us 36hrs prior to IUI but when my wife called to confirm the nurse gave us a different time. We said 36hrs to the nurse and she said 48hrs. This caused quite a bit of stress on my wifes behalf which is what we wanted to avoid prior to another IUI. We ultimately did get in contact with the doctor through another nurse and injected appropriately.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There were questionable charges after we had paid for procedures in full. I would encourage you to keep a folder and follow closely. The appointments were different charges each time and our insurance didn't really cover much.
none. We didn't get this far.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
There was some issues with what time to give the Ovidrel to my wife. The provider said 36hrs but when the nursing staff messaged her, they gave a different time frame. This did cause some issues and stress. We ultimately got it right, I think. Unfortunately, it didn't result in a positive test. We did have some ongoing financial department issues with miscommunication and extra bills that we had already paid for. I would encourage you to pay close attention to your payments and bills.
Raleigh

Dr. M [Jennifer Mersereau] got us in for a consultation quickly. She is personable and passionate about her patients. She gave encouraging words and described everything in detail. She even drew diagrams to help us understand the upcoming procedures and what we should expect. After the consultation and several attempts to diagnose, we began the IUI cycle. I did not see Dr. M for these visits, only a nurse and doctor interns. I would have loved to speak directly with doctor on the day of treatment.
[UNC Fertility is a] Great clinic! No complaints. They work with your schedule as much as they can. Are available on Saturday and sundays for ultrasound or treatments. Front desk staff is accommodating and worked with me when I had insurance questions. The office is always clean. They provide coffee and water to patients in the waiting area.... Always answer my messages quickly and in depth. I love that they check on me towards the end of my TWW. They are always encouraging and happy in the office and greet me by my first name. Awesome staff!
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Dr. M got us in for a consultation quickly. She is personable and passionate about her patients. She gave encouraging words and described everything in detail. She even drew diagrams to help us understand the upcoming procedures and what we should expect. After the consultation and several attempts to diagnose, we began the IUI cycle. I did not see Dr. M for these visits, only a nurse and doctor interns. I would have loved to speak directly with doctor on the day of treatment.
This is not specific to Dr. M, but the process in itself. Pray! Have a group that prays for you and with you. You will need a shoulder to lean on
Dr. M takes the time to answer my questions about medications and all fertility questions
I began with Femara 6mg, this only produced one mature egg per month. After 5 months, I began clomid 150mg. I have produced 2-3 mature follicles each cycle. Clomid does come with more side effects and possibility of multiples. We had our first IUI with Femara with no success. Took several months off to emotionally and financially recover. We are working on the 2nd IUI, back to back.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
IUI was $889 per cycle, with insurance. Not cheap, but hopefully worth it.
Raleigh

Dr. Peavey was very thorough in explaining our options to us and the processes going on inside the body. She took time out to make sure we felt comfortable. We always knew what to expect. She was also very considerate of our emotions during hard times, and she took time to personally call us when needed.... Our first cycle with Dr. Peavey was an IUI only, which had worked for us (along with an HSG) for our first daughter.
The nursing staff [UNC Fertility] worked efficiently and were all well trained in the procedures they were conducting....The clinic's biggest weakness appeared to be in billing. There were multiple occasions where pricing was misquoted and I was later charged more than expected, and there were some surprise bills when I had been told I had paid for everything involved in that cycle.
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
You are in good hands!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey took lots of time out to discuss our options with us during appointments. On the day of our first consultation, she took a scan, since I was in a good place in my cycle, and we wouldn't have to wait a whole month to start treatment. She also called us after her normal hours to discuss options with us when we had big decisions to make.
Describe the protocols Mary Peavey used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Our first cycle with Dr. Peavey was an IUI only, which had worked for us (along with an HSG) for our first daughter. For the second cycle, we switched to IUI with letrozole. We also went on progesterone for a short luteal phase. After 1-2 more unsuccessful IUIs, we switched to from letrozole to clomid (still with progesterone) for a few cycles. We also had a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) again. We then planned to move to IVF, but wanted to take a month off medication first. During the month off, we got pregnant, which turned out to be ectopic, and required surgery. After recovery from surgery, we proceeded with IVF and were able to freeze seven embryos and transfer one. The transferred embryo worked and I am now pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
The nursing staff worked efficiently and were all well trained in the procedures they were conducting.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility.
IVF - $12000 (plus medications) IUI - $800 (plus medications)
Describe Mary Peavey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Dr. Peavey strongly recommended single embryo transfer, based on my age and my history. I am in agreement with this recommendation, as I did not want to have a pregnancy with multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
All the problems I had with the clinic were related to billing.
Mary Peavey

How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Steiner is very direct and research-driven. The fact that she continues to conduct research on faculty at a major institution is one of the elements that led myself and my husband to seek her care. If you are looking for a super-compassionate, empathetic doctor, she may not be for you. She cares, and will demonstrate that at times, but not during every interaction. She could be short with a response on occasion, but generally gave me the information I was looking for. Dr. Steiner was convinced that ovulation induction was the only treatment we would need, and told us she would comfortably continue that regimen for six or more months. We progressed to IUI only at my request. After four cycles, none of which resulted in a pregnancy or chemical pregnancy, we relocated, and began with a new doctor. Should we have stayed in the area, I may have sought a more aggressive doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll need to assert yourself a little bit, as Dr. Steiner is a very seasoned specialist and will give you a full run-down of your diagnosis and case without pausing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
During our consultation and follow-up appointment, Dr. Steiner took her time with us, explaining treatment and general fertility concepts in a clear manner. She remembered our details at every interaction, and her care felt personalized for the case we presented.
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
I have a history of irregular or absent periods. Dr. Steiner prescribed 2.5 mgs of letrozole (Femara) on cycle days 3-7, with an ultrasound to check progress on day 13. Each cycle produced one or more mature follicles, and after the ultrasound, we did a trigger shot (Ovidrel) at home that evening. For the first three cycles, we had timed intercourse around the ovulation window. For the fourth and final cycle, we went in for an IUI 36 hours after the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I didn't have much interaction with the nurses, as I wasn't doing IVF. In general, they were pleasant, and responsive via portal messages.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There are a few aspects of the clinic I wish I had known about before beginning treatment. UNC is a teaching clinic. It will most likely be fellows (students in their fellowship years) who perform most of your ultrasounds. At times, this was (literally) uncomfortable. I have a retroverted uterus, and the first fellow to do a transvaginal ultrasound on me had a lot of difficulty finding her way around. Unlike many teaching hospitals/clinics, the practice's physicians will not ask your permission beforehand to have the fellow observe or even perform the ultrasound. After the uncomfortable ultrasound, I preemptively requested a practice physician when checking in for my next one. Later, at another ultrasound, an unsupervised fellow gave me misinformation and tried to cancel our IUI (she was under the impression that the clinic only did IUI cycles with multiple follicles, while Dr. Steiner was aiming for me to have one mature follicle). The method of communication, at least as a patient of Dr. Steiner's, is strictly through portal messaging. I was never able to speak on the phone with Dr. Steiner, and 90% of the time, responses on the portal came from a nurse. This I imagine is typical for correspondence having to do with refills, etc., but when I wanted to pass on some information regarding my short period, I was told to book a follow-up appointment, which seemed unnecessary. I would also add that nurses perform the IUIs. This may not be uncommon, but took me by surprise.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
For ovulation induction, medication was about $110 per cycle, and each cycle required one monitoring ultrasound which cost about $270. The IUI was about $700. My HSG was about $400. The initial consultation was about $400, and the follow-up with Dr. Steiner was about $340. Insurance did not cover anything, but gave us discounts because the clinic was in-network.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
The clinic incorrectly washed my husband's semen sample for our IUI. When a nurse initially started to take us back to a room for the procedure, she was caught by another nurse, who told her it was not time yet. We were then sent back to the waiting area, where we sat in terrible suspense for about an hour. Finally, about two hours after the scheduled procedure time, Dr. Steiner came out, and told us that she was not happy with the sample's numbers after the lab first sent it back, and had them "re-wash" it, to boost numbers. My husband has no male fertility issues, so she knew the low numbers were the result of a poor job. I don't know enough about "washing" to understand how this re-washing could work, but best-case scenario, it put us through a bit of emotional turmoil. In the worst-case scenario, my appointment was two hours after the time we booked to coincide with 36 hours after a trigger shot, so ovulation timing was off, and the sample may have not been as... perky as we'd like.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Mersereau is professional and knowledgable. She has a calm and logical approach to the process and offered conservative treatment but was willing to explore options. She was able to explain the process in a comprehensive manner and explain the choices we had going forward. She is approachable and really took her time to address all our questions and concerns.
Wendy [nurse at UNC Fertility] was amazing, professional, compassionate, and maintained a supportive environment through out the course of our treatment. She was responsive and went above and beyond to provide care by phone and in the office...Strengths were the physician and nursing staff who were very compassionate and supportive. Their finance team was less responsive and not as clear. The clinic did not offer any learning tools as other clinics have and they do not offer or recommend complimentary care. They could do better with more support groups and counseling integrated into their treatment plan.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Go in with questions. Because she takes her time and has a team of RE that review your case, your questions and asks may take more time to be processed. However, we felt that they took into consideration what we wanted and advised us appropriately our options and how they could help.
Dr. M made time to sit and answer questions appropriately with consideration for our expectations and the reality of our situation. We worked more with her nurse than her but she made sure to call with results and other important information.
Wendy was amazing, professional, compassionate, and maintained a supportive environment through out the course of our treatment. She was responsive and went above and beyond to provide care by phone and in the office. I would highly recommend her as nurse while going through this difficult treatment.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
We used the Attain program.
Raleigh

[Natalie Crawford] Strengths: Wonderful at explaining options visually and listening. Warm, compassionate, and affirming. Weaknesses: Did not anticipate devastation and confusion I would feel emailing very negative test results before explaining them to me. Muddled order of treatments for multiple diagnoses....Did not prepare me well for what to expect during treatment with very low ovarian reserve. Did not monitor progress early enough, lead to cancelled cycle.
[UNC] Strengths: clean, INCREDIBLE nursing staff, great email communication, good and responsive support with insurance Weaknesses: not always flexible to accommodate difficult patient protocols, appointments not always on time...The nursing staff at UNC are amazing. Compassionate, responsive, proactive in problem solving....To maximize chances of success for women with severe DOR, there should probably some flexibility around start dates.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Strengths: Wonderful at explaining options visually and listening. Warm, compassionate, and affirming. Weaknesses: Did not anticipate devastation and confusion I would feel emailing very negative test results before explaining them to me. Muddled order of treatments for multiple diagnoses. Gave conflicting information with other doctors in the practice. Did not prepare me well for what to expect during treatment with very low ovarian reserve. Did not monitor progress early enough, lead to cancelled cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Be proactive in raising concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Excellent at explaining diagnosis and options when I was in front of her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility.
My insurance covered nearly all costs except cycle management fees ($500?)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
First, one cycle ended with an exceptionally painful ovarian cyst rupture after egg retrieval, and doctors claimed it was a coincidence -- when I was doubled over in pain they said it was more likely to be appendicitis than a result of their procedure. As far as I could tell, they do not keep data on complications from egg retrievals, so they should probably listen to their patients. Second, I had two diagnoses: severe DOR and septate uterus. Doctor suggested I immediately embark on as many cycles of IVF as possible to freeze embryos for future children before correcting septate uterus to make implantation more likely. I went through four cycles of treatment (one cancelled) with zero freezable embryos, and three fresh embryo transfers before a different doctor in the clinic (not mine) finally suggested we correct abnormality before spending money on another cycle (as I had been suggesting!). On IVF cycle after hysteroscopy implantation was successful. Third, standard use of estridiol pills to sync me up with the rest of the patients for clinical management was completely counterproductive -- my follicles simply did not respond and would not grow together under this treatment. The only cycle that I successfully retrieved a decent number of eggs, my natural cycle just happened to sync up with the start date. To maximize chances of success for women with severe DOR, there should probably some flexibility around start dates.
Natalie Crawford
Raleigh

Dr. Fritz is clearly a leading expert in his field, is willing to take risks and adapt treatment as necessary for patients, and clearly cares about success. He is good at explaining concepts and procedures. He is not always the best listener, which can be critical in adapting unsuccessful strategies early (since management is pretty decentralized), or in making patients feel confident about course of action...Dr. Fritz put me on his "eye of newt" protocol
[UNC] Strengths: clean, INCREDIBLE nursing staff, great email communication, good and responsive support with insurance Weaknesses: not always flexible to accommodate difficult patient protocols, appointments not always on time...Amazing. The nursing team makes all the difference in cycle management....Dr. Fritz is clearly a leading expert in his field, is willing to take risks and adapt treatment as necessary for patients,
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be proactive about your own case management.
Describe the protocols Marc Fritz (retired) used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
In my 3rd - 5th IVF cycles Dr. Fritz put me on his "eye of newt" protocol (estrace flare + HGH), which involved 375 Gonal + 75 Menapur + Lupron + estrace and 20 units of Human growth hormone (HGH). I had very unresponsive ovaries. My memory is that critical factors in these cycles tended to be management at the beginning of the cycle; whether we could successfully suppress follicle growth to get them to grow together, which apparently is a problem with severe DOR. Original intent in treatment was to save freezable embryos before trying to conceive; by the 5th cycle with 0 freezable embryos my goal was simply to have a baby. For each cycle we transferred available embryos at day 3 because there were so few. In the 5th cycle one of the three embryos resulted in a life birth. (whew!)
Amazing. The nursing team makes all the difference in cycle management.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
I had very few embryos and unproductive ovaries, so by the last cycle (#5) we just threw all 3 in. Dr. Fritz discussed risks with me, and his approach seemed to be consistent with my preferences and the specifics of my case.
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Our full analysis was not done and could not he done the day of sample. We had previously discussed this with the doctor [Dr. Anne Steiner] but it was not anywhere on our charts. We were not able to find morphology due to this reason and that was one of our troubles we knew...Follistim and ovadrel for an iui procedure. Had 3 eggs and 7.5mil sperm. Major confusion on analysis after...Very up front and honest.
Saw many different doctors in clinic [UNC Fertility-Raleigh] but everyone was usually upbeat...It's a teaching clinic...[the nurse] Was not up to date on our plans always...We had scheduled a full analysis for part of the iui. They did not due this and we were not told until after the fact...Iui prices were reasonable...
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Very up front and honest. Paid out percentages and suggestions in a way previous doctor had not. Did get impression that I would not be a good candidate for their of program tho. Was very gentle and explained new staff with her each time
It's a teaching clinic
Very kind. Saw many different doctors in clinic but everyone was usually upbeat. Check out was always a breeze and didn't feel like just there to slide your card
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Was not up to date on our plans always
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Had programs but were not attainable for ivf. Iui prices were reasonable
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Our full analysis was not done and could not he done the day of sample. We had previously discussed this with the doctor but it was not anywhere on our charts. We were not able to find morphology due to this reason and that was one of our troubles we knew
Raleigh

Only saw him [Dr. Fritz] for the consultation. He explained everything in a manner in which we could understand. He was knowledgeable and answered all questions that we had. He responded promptly when I sent a message in the patient portal....Femara, clomid, injectables, and iui. We wanted to start with iui due to the cost of ivf and Dr. Fritz was confident that we could get pregnant either way.
They clinic [UNC Fertility] is very welcoming. Everyone shows compassion and will assist you with your needs. I liked that the have a lab there for the men to give their samples. They have financial counseling to make sure you are aware of what you will be responsible for.... Only saw him for the consultation. He explained everything in a manner in which we could understand. He was knowledgeable and answered all questions that we had.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Only saw him for the consultation. He explained everything in a manner in which we could understand. He was knowledgeable and answered all questions that we had. He responded promptly when I sent a message in the patient portal.
He is very knowledgeable.
They were all great.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They clinic is very welcoming. Everyone shows compassion and will assist you with your needs. I liked that the have a lab there for the men to give their samples. They have financial counseling to make sure you are aware of what you will be responsible for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility.
My insurance would not cover so we had to pay out of pocket.
Raleigh
Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions...Rotating doctors at UNC. Nurses do the IUI, but doctors do monitoring. Each time I scheduled consults it was a different doctor which was frustrating. Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions...Waiting on results that were delivered a week ago. The results can affect current cycle so I need to know them.
Strengths: knowledge, research, good doctors and nurses, one of the best in the area SART-wise Weaknesses: rotating doctors, advocating for certain tests is hard, I wish I was assigned one doctor from start to finish...IUI w/ monitoring $888 + drugs IUI w/o monitoring $688 + drugs Attain 2 retrieval package $19,000 + drugs...Rotating doctors at UNC. Nurses do the IUI, but doctors do monitoring. Each time I scheduled consults it was a different doctor which was frustrating. Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions.
Raleigh

I've only seen Dr. Goodman twice, but I have access via the on-line patient portal... I see different Drs. when I go in for ultrasounds and had an RN do the IUI...team approach...quite good about making you feel like your case is important to them...they aren't necessarily the best at reaching out to you to see if you have questions...Sometimes, I left the clinic and didn't know what to expect...
UNC Fertility is a very comfortable atmosphere. The staff are discrete and everything is clean and welcoming. Everyone I've interacted with there is kind, from the front desk to the phlebotomists to the Drs., RNs, and financial staff...I see different Drs. when I go in for ultrasounds and had an RN do the IUI. However, they work well as a team - team approach...The IUI is about $1,100.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Sometimes, I left the clinic and didn't know what to expect. While they make you feel comfortable and like your situation is important to them, they aren't necessarily the best at reaching out to you to see if you have questions. This is a game in which you have to be resourceful and seek them out for answers to your questions.
Make sure you contact them with any questions. Have questions ready for your visits.
Dr. Goodman's team is quite good about making you feel like your case is important to them.
We used Letrozole and transvaginal ultrasound monitoring, for the most part. You take the Letrozole on days 3-7 of your cycle, with cycle day 1 being the first day of your period. You come back mid-cycle for an ultrasound, to see if you have a viable follicle. I also used the Ovidrel shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Soucy)
I have never actually met the RN that works with my Dr. I see different Drs. when I go in for ultrasounds and had an RN do the IUI. However, they work well as a team - team approach - and I don't mind it. I've only seen Dr. Goodman twice, but I have access via the on-line patient portal to all of them.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The IUI is about $1,100. The ultrasounds, for monitoring, are about $125-200 each. The Ovidrel shot was about $90. The Letrozole was under $10. The initial consult was totally covered under insurance, so I'm not sure how much that cost.
Raleigh
[Dr. Marc Fritz] only want to do one embryo transfer always...We used 350 uni of Gonal during our treatment in combination of Menopur and at the end we used the trigger infections (don’t remember the name) regardless that all my test are good with a good reserve of eggs, we only finish with 2 embryos, and we could froze only 1 and we are waiting to do the transfer
Very profesional clinic [UNC Fertility] but you always are one more number, but the doctors a nurses are very profesional they know what they are doing, the clinic es super clean and organized so in that part is very well done...Everyone was very friendly and profesional but the should keep the patients more well inform of their process and results, it is a good clinic but the lack of information during and after the process is a bit confusing
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Everyone was very friendly and profesional but the should keep the patients more well inform of their process and results, it is a good clinic but the lack of information during and after the process is a bit confusing and for important information they just send you and email when we really needed a call to understand what was going on
You are a number so don’t expect to be treated with care
Lack of information after the treatment, they should contact you to give for feedback
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Very nice but lack of information and communication
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very profesional clinic but you always are one more number, but the doctors a nurses are very profesional they know what they are doing, the clinic es super clean and organized so in that part is very well done
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
This was very well organized and the doctors for this are very good
23.000 usd of treatment + 65 usd for extra visits with doctor fritz
The only want to do one embryo transfer always
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Lack of information with the results
Raleigh

She [Dr. Mersereau] is a great communicator. She answers medical questions very well. She tries hard to keep you on the least invasive track as possible. She is thorough on her initial workup. She rushes through appointments. She doesn't follow up well on test results, leaving you to figure out what they mean. When I did end up pregnant she seemed unexcited, and telling her it ended in miscarriage phased her even less.
The support staff [at UNC Fertility] is great with communication. Getting an appointment can be difficult if you are looking for a specific day or time. They draw all of their own labs so you do not have to travel to another location...On my initial visit I had a ton of labs drawn. Once they all resulted i got an email that they were in my portal so I went and looked at them. On the reports there were no explanations and no one called me to tell me about my results I had to figure them out on my own.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She is a great communicator. She answers medical questions very well. She tries hard to keep you on the least invasive track as possible. She is thorough on her initial workup. She rushes through appointments. She doesn't follow up well on test results, leaving you to figure out what they mean. When I did end up pregnant she seemed unexcited, and telling her it ended in miscarriage phased her even less.
Be ready with questions, don't let her make you feel rushed.
Dr. M on consultation was warm, inviting, and thorough. She explained everything to us and ordered so many tests. Once the tests came back, however, I was left to figure out what they meant on my own. Same thing happened with my husband's sperm analysis. We ended up pregnant on our last round of letrozole and when I messaged her to tell her the news she was not excited she had me call to get an HCG check. Once the HCG was completed we went in for an ultrasound, she was extremely cold, there was no smile, no sincere congratulations just a "yup there's a baby, there's the sac, you can go to your regular doctor now" and she just left the room. We found out a few weeks later that we had a missed miscarriage we sent a message letting her know and she just said "that stinks, let me know when you have a period again" no mention of what the plan might be next.
I came to the clinic already prescribed metformin and letrozole, we had already tried 3 rounds. She decided to extend that treatment plan for 6 more cycles. We did end up pregnant but it ended in miscarriage
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
All the staff I came in contact with were super helpful, compassionate and caring. I didn't see many nurses only people drawing labs
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The support staff is great with communication. Getting an appointment can be difficult if you are looking for a specific day or time. They draw all of their own labs so you do not have to travel to another location.
my costs were minimal thanks to my insurance