7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000

I always felt like my treatment [with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] was tailored to me and not some cookie cutter plan...She is kind, thoughtful and compassionate. She is very knowledgeable and up front about how treatment would go. She always answers my questions in ways I understood and helped soothe my fears. She always made time for us when we were in the office and explained the course of treatment. She made us feel very special.
Mindy [nurse at UNC Fertility] was amazing! She is so awesome. I could call her or email her about anything. She was fast to respond and got answers for us quickly. She was great at educating us through the process of taking the medication...All of the costs were told to us up front and we were given options for payment...They were fast in getting us an appointment and getting us in to see a doctor that would work with us after all we had been through. The clinic always made us feel as though we were a priority. They were open weekends to accommodate our needs during treatment.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Come with all of your questions and don’t be afraid to ask. She can handle it and will answer them to the best of her ability. She is also open to the course of treatment that YOU decide and she is not pushy in any way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
The nurse and the doctor were always available when I needed something, had questions and alleviated my worries every step of the way. I always felt like my treatment was tailored to me and not some cookie cutter plan.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Mersereau used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We went right to IVF and it was because she didn’t want to waste our time trying more treatment what would not likely be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Soucey)
Mindy was amazing! She is so awesome. I could call her or email her about anything. She was fast to respond and got answers for us quickly. She was great at educating us through the process of taking the medication.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.
There costs for ultrasounds, retrieval and transfer. All of the costs were told to us up front and we were given options for payment.
Describe Jennifer Mersereau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
I had hoped for multiple but I also understand her concern and rationale. I was very happy with the outcome.

2021 - 2022, Consult
How was your experience with Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility?
I would describe Dr. Neal-Perry as a kind soul. It was important to me to find a RE that looked like me and when I found her, I made sure to tell her that. Her response was so encouraging and she let me know that black women deserve to feel heard and seen by their physicians and that was her goal in her practice. So, far she has met her words. I look forward to walking through this journey with her to further experience her kindness. I have not experienced her bedside manner yet as we have only had virtual conversations. I will say that I do feel confident that Dr. Neal-Perry has me and my husband's best interest at heart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility?
Come with your questions because she has answers!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Neal-Perry made me feel like a human by always asking how I'm doing. Even though we've only had virtually visits, she was intentional to check in with me on how I was feeling and offered encouragement. This meant a lot to me!
Describe the protocols Genevieve Neal-Perry used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We have not started treatment yet.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I have only experienced the nurses while have bloodwork drawn. My nurse/phelbotomist was nice enough. He didn't have much to say which I wasn't really expecting a lot of small talk.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
UNC Fertility is very organized compared to a previous clinic that I was a patient under. The patient portal and patient messages are very helpful. I appreciate at this because I can easily see what to expect concerning our treatment plan and my test results. The staff are pleasant which is nice especially when dealing with high stress of fertility difficulties. I also love that the staff in the clinic are very diverse. One weakness I have found is there seems to only be one person scheduling appointments, this can be frustrating when trying to schedule an appointment but you continue to get the voicemail and end up playing phone tag.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility.
Cost directly to clinic for needed treatment-$14,000 Additional costs if needed- $16,000
Describe Genevieve Neal-Perry's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We have not gotten this far yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Dr. Neal-Perry ordered that I have a HSG done. I scheduled the appointment but then thought more about it. I realized that I had a HSG done in 2020 already under my OB-GYN and those results were already sent to UNC Fertility. I questioned if it would be necessary for me to do this procedure again since I already had one and my treatment plan is already in place for IVF so, tubal disease is not a factor at this point. I sent a message through the portal and one of the partnering physicians confirmed that I did not need to do that procedure again. Not a big deal but I'm glad that I had the thought to ask to avoid an unnecessary procedure.
Genevieve Neal-Perry

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Mersereau is patient and kind. She is honest and explains all the pros and cons. She is encouraging and extremely knowledgeable about infertility. She is pleasant and always greets us with a smile...Dr. M explained to me the reasoning behind why they only do single embryo transfer. She was real and honest...You want to have a doctor who is in your corner rooting for you to win, and that is who Dr. Mersereau is!
The [UNC Fertility] clinic has so many strengths. I have been going there for 2 yrs now and I haven’t noticed any weaknesses. What I love the most is how easy it is to communicate with Dr. M and the clinic’s team. Using the patient portal, I feel at ease knowing no matter what, someone will respond...The nursing staff is friendly, helpful and pleasant.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Trust your doctor and the process! Patience is a virtue. It is needed during this journey. You want to have a doctor who is in your corner rooting for you to win, and that is who Dr. Mersereau is!
Dr. M always greats us with a smile. She takes her time explaining things. She is personable and patient. She draw illustrations so we can have a visual of what will happen next. She is warm and kind.
Dr. Mersereau placed me on Fermara to help me ovulate. I have PCOS, so at the time, I went 6 months without a period. She gave me a medicine to bring the menstrual down and then the Femara to ovulate.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
The nursing staff is friendly, helpful and pleasant.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic has so many strengths. I have been going there for 2 yrs now and I haven’t noticed any weaknesses. What I love the most is how easy it is to communicate with Dr. M and the clinic’s team. Using the patient portal, I feel at ease knowing no matter what, someone will respond.
Dr. M explained to me the reasoning behind why they only do single embryo transfer. She was real and honest! Not only did she give me the percentage for how many embryos survive, but she explained with a real life scenario. That helped put things into perspective. If multiple embryo transfer isn’t successful, it would be devastating for everyone involved.
Raleigh

Very good at making sure I understood my diagnosis of stage 4 endometriosis and the different treatment options available. We decided the best plan to help increase fertility but also what it would mean long term ... Dr. Young is a great doctor to see if you have endometriosis. He is an expert in the field. I dealt more often with his fellow, Dr. Moustafa, who was also amazing. Very compassionate and educated. They work together very well and I felt heard and taken care of. Dr. Moustafa was also available very easy to get in touch with if I had questions or concerns. Would absolutely recommend this clinic.
Overall great, and [UNC Fertility] ran on time. Staff and nurses are all personable and approachable. Easy to get to, very clean. Coffee and tv in waiting room, lots of windows. They have their own portal online system that allows you to connect with your team whenever you have questions and view your treatment schedule and details online at any time. ... We decided to have laparoscopic surgery to remove endometrial tissue and lesions as well as a large cyst. This was to reduce the chronic pain I was having as well as increase fertility.
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Ask as many questions as you can think of because he knows everything about Endometriosis - I came out of our appointment feeling much more “in charge” of this disease diagnosis
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Steven Young used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We decided to have laparoscopic surgery to remove endometrial tissue and lesions as well as a large cyst. This was to reduce the chronic pain I was having as well as increase fertility. We have planned for an embryo transfer (IVF from a clinic in Canada) with 1 frozen embryo. I am currently taking Orlissa to suppress endometriosis until we can schedule a transfer cycle.
Very personable, organized
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Overall great, and ran on time. Staff and nurses are all personable and approachable. Easy to get to, very clean. Coffee and tv in waiting room, lots of windows. They have their own portal online system that allows you to connect with your team whenever you have questions and view your treatment schedule and details online at any time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Young at UNC Fertility.
Don’t remember
Describe Steven Young's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We only have one embryo
Raleigh
Dr. Goodman is an exceptional fertility specialist. Coming to her after a devastating miscarriage, she helped us process the loss and begin treatment with assurance. Always an excellent communicator, she also has a warm but wry demeanor and a realistic but encouraging attitude toward treatment. Indeed, she guided us to the exact right treatment plan such that when we had setbacks, we were able to weather them easily and stay the course having already anticipated them. Fertility treatment isn’t easy and I don’t think we could have completed it without her caring and careful guidance.
Although our primary care doctor was Linnea Goodman, we had the opportunity to be seen by every single doctor in the [UNC Fertility] clinic: everyone was wonderful. The nursing staff was wonderful and our care coordinator was wonderful. Even the receptionist was wonderful. I would recommend UNC Fertility to everyone...Mindy was a wonderful nurse...These appointments were all early in the morning and easily managed with schedule with little flexibility. We were able to get in and out quickly with marginal time.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Trust her advice: she knows what she’s talking about and won’t direct you toward unnecessary or unwarranted treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Goodman is an exceptional doctor: while realistic about probabilities, she remained hopeful and encouraging about outcomes. “Cautiously optimistic” was the phrase of the day.
Describe the protocols Linnea Goodman used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Having low egg reserves, we followed a max dosage for fertility drugs for each retrieval (gonal + menapur): 3 total retrievals. We also decided to freeze and test all embryos for each cycle before implanting due to concerns about poor egg quality and thus avoided implanting embryos that would have resulted in another miscarriage (and additional setbacks in timing).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy )
Mindy was a wonderful nurse (she held my hand for our first ultrasound because my partner couldn’t be present knowing that were were fearing a failed implantation). Mindy also served as my care coordinator, making sure that we were taking all the right drugs in the right way, emailing explicitly instructors the night before retrieval. All the nursing staff who regularly took my vitals and blood were wonderful as well: Everyone knew my name and treated me like family.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Although our primary care doctor was Linnea Goodman, we had the opportunity to be seen by every single doctor in the clinic: everyone was wonderful. The nursing staff was wonderful and our care coordinator was wonderful. Even the receptionist was wonderful. I would recommend UNC Fertility to everyone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility.
$52k for 3 retrievals (including meds but not including extra genetic testing of embryos or Anesthesia for retrieval, which totaled ~$5k)
Describe Linnea Goodman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Dr. Goodman directed us to do a single embryo transfer to avoid complications with pregnancy (preterm birth, low birth rate and miscarriage).
Linnea Goodman
Raleigh

[Dr. Linnea Goodman] was extremely friendly and supportive while being realistic with possible outcomes. She made us both feel very comfortable and in control of the whole process...She took the time needed to answer any questions and we never felt rushed. She was genuine and compassionate...She can have a bit of dry humor (which I appreciated) to lighten the mood so don’t stay so serious the whole time...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I created and ovulated my egg every month but we never became pregnant after 18 months of trying. We tried 3 unsuccessful IUIs and followed directly with IVF and a successful fresh transfer.
The wait times could be quite long [at UNC Fertility] some days. The receptionist wasn’t the friendliest. The phlebotomists were skilled and accurate...We tried 3 unsuccessful IUIs and followed directly with IVF and a successful fresh transfer...Ally [nurse] wasn’t my favorite. She was all business. She was knowledgeable and helpful but not as warm as I prefer. Wendy was absolutely wonderful. She saw my upset one day and went out of her way to call me to make sure everything was ok. She was truly one of the warmest and most genuine people I’ve ever met.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr Goodman was always positive and personable. She took the time needed to answer any questions and we never felt rushed. She was genuine and compassionate. I was sad we had to leave her care but happy we were able to graduate to a regular obgyn
Dr Goodman was extremely friendly and supportive while being realistic with possible outcomes. She made us both feel very comfortable and in control of the whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ally )
Ally wasn’t my favorite. She was all business. She was knowledgeable and helpful but not as warm as I prefer. Wendy was absolutely wonderful. She saw my upset one day and went out of her way to call me to make sure everything was ok. She was truly one of the warmest and most genuine people I’ve ever met.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The wait times could be quite long some days. The receptionist wasn’t the friendliest. The phlebotomists were skilled and accurate. Avoid Dr. Mercero at all costs. She has terrible bedside manner and will introduce herself to you over and over even if it’s the 4th time you’ve seen her.
Insurance covered my 3 IUIs and most testing up until I started the IVF process and testing. Then it was all out of pocket
With the diagnosis of unexplained infertility it was suggested to transfer 1 egg since we didn’t know the reason as to why I wasn’t becoming pregnant
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
We had some trouble with insurance and medicine coverage so we had to have a couple different meds called in to see what was covered. Only 1 of the 2 meds were called in so I had to get ahold of the nurse on call over the weekend to fix it.
Linnea Goodman

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Peavey was an amazing doctor for us. She really went above and beyond to help us understand each step of the way. She would call on the weekend if I had a question, I never felt like just a number to her. We could not say enough great things...was great from the very first appointment. My husband and I felt very confided that she was doing everything she could to help us have our now son....She was very straight forward with us and when we should move form IUI to IVF. We always felt like she had our best interested in mind and what would be best for us.
UNC Fertility was a great clinic and we had a great experience their, the only thing is that the wait time could be rather long. Sometimes I waiting up to 30 plus minute for a blood draw but it just depend on the day. I just made sure I added more time then I thought I needed for the appointment...Mindy [nurse] was amazing, she always answered my emails or question with in an day and was always so happy and positive. I really missed her when we switch to our main OBGYN practice...For our IUIs they were around $500 for each round. With IVF we paid $2000 to start and then about $1000 for the medicine and then we paid $2800 for our PSG testing
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey was great from the very first appointment. My husband and I felt very confided that she was doing everything she could to help us have our now son. She explained everything about why we were doing each step and test. She was very straight forward with us and when we should move form IUI to IVF. We always felt like she had our best interested in mind and what would be best for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
To trust her and know that she wants the same goal for her patients
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey was an amazing doctor for us. She really went above and beyond to help us understand each step of the way. She would call on the weekend if I had a question, I never felt like just a number to her. We could not say enough great things about our experience at UNC with Dr Peavey
Describe the protocols Mary Peavey used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We started with IUI's not medicated due to the fact that it would not be safe for me to carry multiples. When those did not work we deiced to move on to IVF, we did one egg relative and deiced to PGS test those embryos. One the first transfer did not work. We did a few more test to get a better time window for the next transfer and added acupuncture. Our second transfer also failed so for our third we did all the things with acupuncture, added other medicine and had a successfully transfer and welcomed our son January 2020
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Soucy)
Mindy was amazing, she always answered my emails or question with in an day and was always so happy and positive. I really missed her when we switch to our main OBGYN practice.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility.
Describe Mary Peavey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We did a eSET because due to me having cervical cancer 8 years ago we all felt that it was not worth the risk to do more then one embryo at a time
Mary Peavey
Raleigh

Be ready for her [Dr. Mersereau] to put everything into action. She is no fuss but cares greatly...She was the first doctor to explain things to us in ways we could understand and not just go for all the technical verbage...Dr. M was willing to work with us exploring all options available instead of just saying it wouldn't work and going straight to IVF...We did 3 medicated cycles under direction using Femara. The first cycle the IUI wasn't able to happen. The last two cycles the IUI happened but both resulted in negatives. She is trying that approach because I asked about it. With one blocked tube and unexplained diagnosis, I don't want to leave any option unused.
What I love about the clinic [UNC Fertility] is that no matter how much time has elapsed between appointments they remember who you are and a little about your background. As for weaknesses, sometimes its hard to schedule an appointment when its most convenient but they are willing to work hard with your schedule...Mindy and Wendy [nurses] have been amazing to work with! They have answered every one of my questions no matter what I have asked with such ease and person-ability. I feel like I am talking to a friend when I send in an emailed question versus talking to yet another clinician.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She explained things in great detail but was also ready to get down to business. Dr. M was willing to work with us exploring all options available instead of just saying it wouldn't work and going straight to IVF.
Be ready for her to put everything into action. She is no fuss but cares greatly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy)
Mindy and Wendy have been amazing to work with! They have answered every one of my questions no matter what I have asked with such ease and person-ability. I feel like I am talking to a friend when I send in an emailed question versus talking to yet another clinician.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
What I love about the clinic is that no matter how much time has elapsed between appointments they remember who you are and a little about your background. As for weaknesses, sometimes its hard to schedule an appointment when its most convenient but they are willing to work hard with your schedule.
I had a copay for visits with her. Then each IUI cycle there is a $600 fee that includes all labs, ultrasounds, and the SAs my husband had to do.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Just one incident where I was going in for bloodwork. They had written down for that appointment the wrong orders, but within 5 minutes was to able to correct what was needed.
Raleigh

Friendly, comforting and very informative. I was scared to undergo one of my procedures and he [Dr. Fritz] calmly walked me through it step by step, which really helped me not freak out. He gives every bit of information relating to your options and answers any questions thoroughly. He also took it upon himself to contact my regular OBGYN and let her know what was going on.... Initial consultation, HSG to check for any blockages, left tube blocked but developed a plan for IUI going forward with an understanding that we will consider IVF in the event that IUI fails.
Everyone [UNC Fertility] seems really nice and friendly, very good at communicating basic procedures (taking blood, whatever else) and they have a great portal that I can access at anytime with questions or to look at my records/ schedule. Also, very helpful with financial counseling.... Very organized and easy to access information either by phone or through the portal; feels very patient oriented. They are constantly reaching out about scheduling questions or finance questions. Nice office space
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Friendly, comforting and very informative. I was scared to undergo one of my procedures and he calmly walked me through it step by step, which really helped me not freak out. He gives every bit of information relating to your options and answers any questions thoroughly. He also took it upon himself to contact my regular OBGYN and let her know what was going on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be ready for a lot of information but don't be afraid to ask questions or clarify things!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Dr. F is very friendly and personable right from the start, he was very welcoming and easy to talk to and gave us a ton of information on our first visit. He discussed our test results and explained what they meant and what we should do going forward. His information was very thorough and he was quick with scheduling and even informed us that he had a preplanned trip so would be out of office for a few days after one of our procedures.
Describe the protocols Marc Fritz (retired) used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Everyone seems really nice and friendly, very good at communicating basic procedures (taking blood, whatever else) and they have a great portal that I can access at anytime with questions or to look at my records/ schedule. Also, very helpful with financial counseling.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very organized and easy to access information either by phone or through the portal; feels very patient oriented. They are constantly reaching out about scheduling questions or finance questions. Nice office space, although it's a bit of a drive from where we are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility.
My insurance does not cover UNC but they have reached out about financial counseling multiple times. We have paid for everything up front and it has been fine so far.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I appreciate [Dr. Mersereau's] frank take on options with fertility. It was nice that she didn’t send us down a rabbit hole with “other” stuff to try (supplements, wives tales, natural remedies). She sticks to protocol using studies and her own experience to draw from...Don’t expect her to throw the kitchen sink at your treatment. She feels very calculated and thoughtful in her approach. And she doesn’t want to make her patients do a bunch of unnecessary stuff.
Kim [nurse at UNF Fertility] rocked. We could call, Email, message her through their patient portal. She made herself extremely accessible and even helped us find cheaper prescriptions when ordering our medications. I can’t say enough positive things about her. Super caring, empathetic and compassionate. She clearly loves what she does and is really good at it...Strengths: facility is great. Business staff are fairly knowledgeable. Weaknesses: it can be challenging to get in touch with their financial folks. Not impossible but they might be harder than the IVF nurse coordinator.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I appreciate Dr M’s frank take on options with fertility. It was nice that she didn’t send us down a rabbit hole with “other” stuff to try (supplements, wives tales, natural remedies). She sticks to protocol using studies and her own experience to draw from. For me that was freeing because I would beat myself up on natural fertility enhancers or habits that worked for other women but not me.
We met with Dr M multiple times and she always showed care of us. We never felt like she disregarded our worry or anxiety.
One of the things we looked at was doing a natural cycle for transfer. I so much appreciate that we continued to look for options to build on what my body can do on it’s own even if my eggs were not great quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim rocked. We could call, Email, message her through their patient portal. She made herself extremely accessible and even helped us find cheaper prescriptions when ordering our medications. I can’t say enough positive things about her. Super caring, empathetic and compassionate. She clearly loves what she does and is really good at it.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
It was mostly one amount and everything was covered. The only separate things were medications, refrigeration costs, and anesthesia.
For the first transfer she wanted to do 1 because if I was to get pregnant we picked the best, most mature embryo (my others were Day 3). The second transfer we used the 2 remaining embryos. I feel like her advice made sense for us.
Raleigh

Dr. Steiner took time to sit with us and answer our questions. She presented the information in an easy to understand way, showing diagrams and charts as well as statistics. She always responds quickly via email and return phone calls.... Dr. Steiner is medically professional. She explains things in layman's terms. The only thing I didn't care for was she did not do all of my ultrasounds. I feel like she did not explain the percentages with IUI versus IVF.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they [UNC Fertility] are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Take a notebook to write things down because she goes over a lot of information in the first couple appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr Steiner used Follistim 375 units per night for 8 nights. I went in every other day for blood work and vaginal ultrasounds. One day, because my veins roll, they stuck me at least 10 times and still could not get blood. I wonder if results would have been obtained that day if it would have changed the outcome for me.I did not get to my Ovidrel trigger shot because my estrogen lowered and progesterone went up so they did not allow me to do that. Other doctors performed my vaginal ultrasounds since Dr. Steiner was not in the office.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
All of the nurses were very friendly and attentive to my needs as a patient. They were easy to communicate with, would reply in a timely manner to emails and had compassion for the situation.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
Not sure since we are using insurance and are having some issues in that department. From what insurance has told us , we have used $13k so far.
Describe Anne Steiner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.

2015 - 2018, Successful
Dr Fritz took the time to really get to know me and my husband and I felt like he truly cared about our results. He was invested, he was sad with me during hard times and happy with me during successes. After going to him for so many years through IVF and an ectopic pregnancy and two successful pregnancies afterwards resulting in my 2.5 year old and 6 month old I could not be happier with the care I received from him.
UNC is very clean, nice and everyone is very friendly. Everyone from the front desk staff, to the nurses taking blood and vitals are all so friendly and caring, they all make you feel welcome and take the time to really get to know you and remember who you are.... For our first son we ended up spending about $25K which included trying drugs like letrozole & injectables, all of the testing (baselines, mock transfers, saline ultrasounds, hsg tests) egg retrieval,
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
He is so caring and such an intelligent, amazing dr. I could not be happier with the care that I received from him and the outcome of our IVF cycles at UNC. After my first IVF cycle resulted in an ectopic pregnancy I felt so strongly that I always only wanted to have him do my transfers and my next two transfers were successes! He always made me feel so comfortable.
To trust him fully.
I do not recall.
Mindy was AMAZING! She would email me at all hours of the day/night with questions and help. I was even emailing her on Christmas eve sure that I was having a miscarriage after my 2nd IVF transfer and she was so responsive and caring helping to put my mind at ease and getting me in early the day after Christmas to confirm that the baby was just fine :)
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
For our first son we ended up spending about $25K which included trying drugs like letrozole & injectables, all of the testing (baselines, mock transfers, saline ultrasounds, hsg tests) egg retrieval, one IVF transfer that ended in an ectopic pregnancy and a second transfer (FET) that resulted in our first son. Our 2nd son just required an additional saline and mock transfer and one FET which was around $6K total.

2018, Consult
seeing Dr Peavey and UNC Fertility was a breath of fresh air. She was thorough, detailed but also readily listened and addressed any questions and concerns. She emailed me on a weekend (when it honestly wasn’t even necessary!) She took triple the time with me than the clinic I had visited prior... we felt as if she had our best interest in mind whether or not that was the most expensive treatment. Even after learning IVF was indeed our only option, she is still very mindful of our concerns.
The office [UNC Fertility - Raleigh] is new and you can see the level of care that went into the office space itself to be the best environment from a health standpoint (paint, air filtration etc) as well as comfort. The feeling leaving this office compared to leaving another local office we met with was incomparable. We knew this was the best fit for us...We have seen several different nurses at check in, lab work etc although we do not have a primary nurse yet in the process. (We have not actually began our first cycle, in progress) Each nurse and team member we have worked with has been professional, compassionate and very laid back (which helps in this environment)
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
She takes plenty of time to address concerns, take into consideration our feelings on things. She never hesitates to respond to emails (even on a weekend!) She spent ample time to diagnose rather than jumping to one conclusion and one treatment plan. When we first met with her, we felt as if she had our best interest in mind whether or not that was the most expensive treatment. Even after learning IVF was indeed our only option, she is still very mindful of our concerns.
Never hesitate to ask questions, ask for things to be repeated or email to follow up.
After visiting another local office and feeling as if my concerns were not heard and I was only a number and an invoice, seeing Dr Peavey and UNC Fertility was a breath of fresh air. She was thorough, detailed but also readily listened and addressed any questions and concerns. She emailed me on a weekend (when it honestly wasn’t even necessary!) She took triple the time with me than the clinic I had visited prior.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: We are not this far (waiting to be financially cleared))
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
From the moment you walk in we felt welcome. In a professional, clean, accommodating office. The doctor comes out to greet you in the waiting room and walks you back, as well walk you out after the appointment. The office is new and you can see the level of care that went into the office space itself to be the best environment from a health standpoint (paint, air filtration etc) as well as comfort. The feeling leaving this office compared to leaving another local office we met with was incomparable. We knew this was the best fit for us.
Due to office Medications
Single transfer is recommended to us
Mary Peavey
Raleigh

Ally [nurse at UNC Fertility] was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met...[Monitoring appointments are a] Well efficient machine. Very personalized but they blocked off early morning so you could get labs and or ultrasounds and still make it to work on time. Also open 7 days a week for monitoring appointments and procedures. I could have scheduled later in the day if needed but early morning was great for me and so many others
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Well of note she is now at Duke and I do not have experience there. I will say Dr. Steiner was great non judgements supportive and even while I did not see her every time I knew she was always on top of my care
Be honest and know she will support you. One of the first and most important moments with Dr Steiner was when I first went in I knew she would say my weight was a factor in my infertility. But to my pleasant surprise she went through everything and never mentioned it. I brought it up and she said “yes every less pound would be helpful but I am assuming from the way you asked you have tried dieting and eating healthy. I told her I had it was just really hard for me in those programs because the weight did not just fall off. She said well it is up to you if you want to try and lose a few more pounds before we do this I will support you but I know you want this baby and I am not going to keep that from happening because of something that has not happened with your effort. My job is to help get you pregnant not judge you
IUNC fertility was fabulous. They made me feel like I was the only person in their care. Personalized one on one attention and must say Ally the nurse was my saving grace in regards to sanity
She did the standard protocol they use but tailored it based on my labs and my pharmacy plan options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
Ally was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met. She Celeste’s the successes and reassured me when I was worried
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very efficient but still make you feel like a person not a number. Great scheduling for working people. Had support all the time. Knew they would be there for egg transfer no matter the day even if on a holiday. Support and backing of UNC but feels like a private clinic. Every doctor I saw was fabulous. I knew no matter what doctor I saw they were all on same page and I could trust them. Even though Dr.Steiner is at Duke now I will without a doubt go back to UNC if we forward later with a frozen embryo transfer. Also if side notbthey give you the cutest little gift when you graduate
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
So my husbands insurance luckily has great infertility insurance so our experience was very different
So dr. Steiner only put one egg in based on research. I never pushed the fact because their frozen and fresh egg transfer success ratios are the same. And like she explained it is better to try again with a frozen embryo the chance multiples. Now I will not the decision to only put one was based on my age and embryo quality
Raleigh

A lot of the doctors we saw, read the word balanced translocation and gave up on us. Dr. M [Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] spent lots of time going over our numbers and percentages, I felt like she was actually interested and cared about understanding our chromosome imbalance.... She went over our odds on IVF thoroughly. Because of our balanced translocation, we would benefit through PGD/PGS testing. This would reduce our risk of miscarriage from 48% to 5%. Even after a miscarriage when I told her I wanted to try one more time naturally, she was supportive of our decision and didn't pressure us into IVF.
Everyone is very friendly and you feel like they are cheering you on [at UNC]. They remember you as well, which I appreciate.... She went over our odds on IVF thoroughly. Because of our balanced translocation, we would benefit through PGD/PGS testing. This would reduce our risk of miscarriage from 48% to 5%. Even after a miscarriage when I told her I wanted to try one more time naturally, she was supportive of our decision and didn't pressure us into IVF. After my 4th miscarriage, we decided to hang in the towel and start IVF this month. Since we gave her the green light she's been very supportive. She's called me several times to make sure I'm aware of the next steps and procedures.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
We've had a rocky road of miscarriages, molar pregnancies and chemical pregnancies. A molar pregnancy missed due to the Doctor's lack of follow up and reading of the pathology report after my first D&C. Through this process, I have been to several doctors all over the triangle, 3 gynos, 2 specialists and 2 IVF doctors. UNC fertility has been the most responsive and caring clinic I've been to so far. They actually care about you and your specific situation. I had one doctor that basically told us to go straight to a sperm donor, which was frustrating because we understood our odds and we knew there was a chance for us to conceive using our sperm and egg. A lot of the doctors we saw, read the word balanced translocation and gave up on us. Dr. M spent lots of time going over our numbers and percentages, I felt like she was actually interested and cared about understanding our chromosome imbalance.
We used clomid for two cycles, one cycle ended in a Chemical pregnancy. I've just started the IVF process and will be going in next Friday for my first injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly Briley)
Like I said we are just now starting IVF next week. As soon as I gave them the green light, I received an email with a detailed schedule on injections and procedures. She was very informative.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Everyone is very friendly and you feel like they are cheering you on. They remember you as well, which I appreciate.
Most of my appointments prior to IVF were covered by insurance. The IVF process we were told it would be around 25,000- 30,000 depending on which medications will be covered and the final pricing from Genesis for PGD/PGS
Dr. Mersereau encourages only 1 embryo transfer. They've had a great success rate on 1. She explained that 2 embryos can lead to twins or even quadruplets which can be dangerous/ high risk pregnancies.
Raleigh

He [Dr. Fritz] is honest and upfront about each step of the process. He was very knowledgeable and went above and beyond when things didn’t go as expected. He would always come up with a plan so I could focus on the next steps. He showed compassion when I was hurting and disappointment when I felt discouraged...I took pentoxifylline and vitamin e for I think 3-4 months. Lining got better so we added vaginal viagra I believe. And moved forward with 3rd embryo transfer with success. Each embryo transfer we did IM progesterone (50 mg) for 10 days prior.
[UNC Fertility is] Very well organized, friendly staff, clean, accommodating. We did not like that the check in and check out is so open. It did not allow privacy when talking about upcoming appts or billing. As well as if you came out discouraged or left excited it was like the whole waiting room was a part of it...[The nurse was] Compassionate, organized, available, patient and knowledgeable. She always gave me specific instructions and was there if I had any questions. If I felt discouraged or needed encouragement she was there. And she was there to celebrate and be excited with me when we got pregnant.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Fritz has a wonderful, warm bedside manner. He is honest and upfront about each step of the process. He was very knowledgeable and went above and beyond when things didn’t go as expected. He would always come up with a plan so I could focus on the next steps. He showed compassion when I was hurting and disappointment when I felt discouraged. He encouraged me to keep going when all I wanted was to give up. He never gave up on us and starting our family.
You are not alone and he will help find the best route to starting your family.
Dr. Fritz and staff always knew me by name and knew the specifics of my case. When I was discouraged/frustrated they were as well. They encouraged me and held my hand during the challenges and heartaches and celebrated with me when we finally became pregnant. Dr. Fritz worked endlessly to come up with some alternative treatments when I proved to be more challenging to respond to what the normal protocol was.
We used follistim and menopur 75 mg for the egg retrieval process. I did injections for 14 days but cannot remember the length of both meds. Then pregynl 10,000 units the night before egg retrieval. Then we did IM progesterone for 10 days prior to embryo transfer. Did not take. Then did a frozen transfer where with did just PO/vaginal estradiol with suboptimal lining, and again did not take. Went to start with another frozen embryo transfer and lining would not respond to PO, vaginal or patches of estrogen. Had a terrible reaction/rash to estrogen patches. Then we scratched that and started again but added vaginal viagra with again no improvement. After that I took pentoxifylline and vitamin e for I think 3-4 months. Lining got better so we added vaginal viagra I believe. And moved forward with 3rd embryo transfer with success. Each embryo transfer we did IM progesterone (50 mg) for 10 days prior.
Mindy was AWESOME. Compassionate, organized, available, patient and knowledgeable. She always gave me specific instructions and was there if I had any questions. If I felt discouraged or needed encouragement she was there. And she was there to celebrate and be excited with me when we got pregnant.
Raleigh

At times it felt like [Dr. Mersereau's] time was short, go into appointments prepared with questions. I loved that she took notes of the conversation for you and let you take them home with you...We tried 3 IUI’s, partially because that is what our insurance covered and partially because Dr. M said if IUi was going to work, it would work within 4 tries. After that we moved in to IVF...took the time to explain the process, our diagnosis and our treatment plan. She was patient when we had questions and put us at ease when we were anxious. She was warm and broke things down into language we could understand.
I would email her [nurse at UNC Fertility] a non urgent question over the weekend and would have a response within an hour. I started to hold my nonurgent questions until the week because she wa so dedicated. When we took a blood test to determine if we were pregnant, she called us over the weekend when she was not working because she wanted to be the one to deliver us the good news. She would always provide me with all the necessary information, including any negative side effects I might expect and the chances that I would experience them. She was the most amazing nurse, ever.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I loved Dr. M, she was so friendly to my husband and I. We felt she really took the time to make sure we understood our diagnosis and treatment plan. She made me feel comfortable and helped calm my anxiety. I would go into appointments scared of the outcome or the next step and she always made me feel better and confident that I would become pregnant.
At times it felt like her time was short, go into appointments prepared with questions. I loved that she took notes of the conversation for you and let you take them home with you.
Dr. M took the time to explain the process, our diagnosis and our treatment plan. She was patient when we had questions and put us at ease when we were anxious. She was warm and broke things down into language we could understand.
We tried 3 IUI’s, partially because that is what our insurance covered and partially because Dr. M said if IUi was going to work, it would work within 4 tries. After that we moved in to IVF which upped our chance from 8-11% for an IUI to 60% for IVF!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy was amazing, she was blunt but so caring. She knew I was nervous to start injections and offered to facetime with me through my first injection. She literally made herself available to me anytime on or off the clock including nights, weekends and while on vacations. I would email her a non urgent question over the weekend and would have a response within an hour. I started to hold my nonurgent questions until the week because she wa so dedicated. When we took a blood test to determine if we were pregnant, she called us over the weekend when she was not working because she wanted to be the one to deliver us the good news. She would always provide me with all the necessary information, including any negative side effects I might expect and the chances that I would experience them. She was the most amazing nurse, ever.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
No one wants to go to a fertility clinic, the waiting room made me sad to see so many couples of varying ages there for the same reason. Everyone from the front desk, to the finance department, nurses and doctors were so nice, professional and compassionate. I was surprised when we started going that the staff knew so many patients by first name. By the end of our IVF cycle, they knew my name too. When we “graduated” I was sad to leave their care. If they could be my regular OBGYN I would go to them in a heartbeat. The patient rooms are comfortable and nice. The doctors meet with you in their office. Overall, they make you feel as comfortable as you can during one of the hardest times of your life.
We were forunate that insurance covered most of our medication with just a copay. IVF cost approximately $12,000

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Fritz has been compassionate, empathetic, open to my feedback and ideas, listened to the concerns of myself and my husband, and is not afraid to touch me when he is talking to me. During pre-op for my polypectomy he came to see me and listened to my questions and talked to me instead of at me. He also checked on me on the night of the same day I had surgery.
They [UNC Fertility] just implemented a new online service where you can view your testing data, send emails to the doctors and nurses, and set appointments. I like this because it makes communication easier...Dr. Fritz is one of the best fertility doctors in the nation. He literally wrote the infertility textbook that is used in medical schools. I wouldn't go anywhere else. He has worked with us every step of the way to ensure that our questions were answered and that we understood every procedure and treatment we have done. He is warm and personable.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be as open and honest as you possibly can. If you hold things back or don't tell him everything he can't provide you with the best quality service.
We have done three cycles of IUI with a dosage of 100mg of Clomid with each one and then a follicle scan to determine when I would ovulate and the best time to do the IUI. We have not gotten pregnant with any of these cycles.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I think the nursing staff at his office is wonderful. They will respond to emails in a timely manner and are very good with communication.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They just implemented a new online service where you can view your testing data, send emails to the doctors and nurses, and set appointments. I like this because it makes communication easier. Before the online system I was less than impressed with how they reported testing results but since it is much better. They are kind and compassionate and will work with you on scheduling. As is necessary in the fertility business they are open 7 days a week so you can schedule treatment for Saturday or Sunday if you need to. It is a small clinic and they do have lots of students (fellows) that come there to observe and learn.
My insurance paid for all 3 of our IUI cycles AFTER I hit my deductible amount of $2,000. I think I paid a little over 300.00 for the first cycle and then my deductible kicked in. The rest I'm not sure about.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
When we first started seeing them last year they were not good with calling with test results but this year (2016) they put an online system in place that makes it much easier to get testing results.
Raleigh

Dr. Young was willing to transfer two PGS normal 5BCs because we had some concern over my uterine lining and the grades weren't so hot. One took and was born healthy...He counseled me thoroughly on all of the risks...He's warm and personable. He goes the extra mile to be available. I haven't been in active treatment with him for years due to insurance reasons, but he still answers my questions as a second opinion. Out of the five REs that I've worked with closely, he's my favorite by far. Both in knowledge and in personality. Just the best.
Wendy [nurse at UNC Fertility] is a rock star. She is so organized, caring, knowledgeable, and genuine. Just a wonderful person and member of the care team...Organized, efficient, knowledgeable, and accessible. I would go there and only there but for insurance reasons. Dr. Young and nurse Wendy Snyder are two of my favorite healthcare providers ever. They gave me my son after a loooong road with two prior losses (9w, 20w) and a severe Asherman's diagnosis refractory to two previous surgeries.
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
He's personable, warm, and knowledgeable. He considers patient ideas and explains why they are good/not good. He's incredibly available. He even answers my questions as a second opinion years after I haven't been in treatment with him due to insurance reasons.
Be thankful! He's the best.
Dr. Young listens and is open to the patient's ideas and suggestions. If he doesn't think they're a good idea, he'll explain why clearly and patiently. He's warm and personable. He goes the extra mile to be available. I haven't been in active treatment with him for years due to insurance reasons, but he still answers my questions as a second opinion. Out of the five REs that I've worked with closely, he's my favorite by far. Both in knowledge and in personality. Just the best.
We did an agonist protocol with lupron, menopur 75u, and follistim 375u. I had 19 collected (way more than expected), 10 mature, and three blasts. This is on par with my previous cycles. Two were PGS normal, and one is my son. He also coordinated treatment of my Asherman's syndrome prior to transfer. Another RE at a major academic medical center had told me that I had a 90% chance of needing a surrogate after two surgeries to lyse the adhesions had failed. They just kept coming back. But Dr. Young was willing to do a novel treatment strategy - we did surgery to lyse the adhesions, then did a post-surgery estrace with a foley balloon (common), and then did weekly follow up clinic hysteroscopies to lyse the early reforming adhesions (novel). This last step was key and ultimately, I believe, led to the cure. After the surgeries, my lining was initially in the 5's. But with months of estrogen, it finally reached &gt; 7 mm and trilaminar. We did the transfer and had success. I'm forever grateful to Dr. Young.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Snyder)
Wendy is a rock star. She is so organized, caring, knowledgeable, and genuine. Just a wonderful person and member of the care team. She strikes the perfect balance of being positive but also realistic. She knew all details of my cycle and always sent updates/responses promptly. If anything, she works too hard and too late! We still keep in touch years later.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
UNC is stellar. Organized, efficient, knowledgeable, and accessible. I would go there and only there but for insurance reasons. Dr. Young and nurse Wendy Snyder are two of my favorite healthcare providers ever. They gave me my son after a loooong road with two prior losses (9w, 20w) and a severe Asherman's diagnosis refractory to two previous surgeries. In my eyes, the place is magic. I still keep in touch with the team and visit with my son at least yearly.
I did the Attain shared risk program, which was around $30k. I paid for medications fully out of pocket since I had no fertility coverage at the time. We had success on the only transfer from our first retrieval with nothing to freeze, so in a sense I overpaid, but I don't care. We have our son and we had good reasons to do the shared risk. My prognosis wasn't so hot after two prior losses and an Asherman's diagnosis.
Dr. Young was willing to transfer two PGS normal 5BCs because we had some concern over my uterine lining and the grades weren't so hot. One took and was born healthy. I would have loved healthy twins, too. He counseled me thoroughly on all of the risks. I'm in healthcare myself and was informed.
Raleigh
I think Anne Steiner is a strong doctor...She's pragmatic but very compassionate at the same time. She wants to move towards solutions that will get couples out of the "wondering" stage and towards a desired result...Dr. Steiner suggested a procedural plan since we had exhausted the normal avenues and their correlated percentages of success. I felt as though she was more determined to see if the Fermara would work better for me at a higher dosage (something my OB hadn't suggested was an option). So she let us choose what path we wanted to take.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
I think Anne Steiner is a strong doctor. I feel I have a good gauge of this since both of my parents are in medicine and had experienced infertility. So we always aligned her suggestions and treatment options against their knowledge-base and experiences. She's pragmatic but very compassionate at the same time. She wants to move towards solutions that will get couples out of the "wondering" stage and towards a desired result. She had us all set up for an IUI, but due to delayed ovulation, decided to post-pone the treatment a month. This was a very big blow after 14 months of waiting, but it paid off! Timed intercourse with a trigger shot was all we needed to conceive! I'm now 8 months pregnant with a healthy boy!
Go see her, especially if you're at all like I was--consumed with finding a cause and a cure and highly emotional. I think she's a good fit for us. It also just feels better to put yourself in such experienced hands. I had visited one Dr prior to Anne Steiner who performed a routine procedure on me to make sure my Fallopian tubes were not blocked. By the end of the treatment, he said this was not the cause of my infertility and what did I want to do next? As if I were the expert on next steps? He did not have the bedside manner Dr. Steiner did nor provided an expert opinion so that I had the power to make a great choice. My experience with that office was not great from start to finish and I can confidently say that it was a complete 180 at UNC Fertility...from the welcoming floor of the facility where they have HGTV on all the time (what better to take your mind off of everything) to the staff, who was always very pleasant, to the nurses, who I loved, the great care from Dr. Steiner and her partners and then to the flexible hours on weekends as well as the quick responses on the patient portal. Even the billing was handled much more delicately prior to our first appointment as they ran our insurance and communicated with us what we could expect to pay prior to our arrival. This was huge. Nothing makes you feel worse about infertility than feeling as though you're somehow responsible for costing your family loads of money for treatment. UNC was sensitive to that and my previous experience with CC was not.
Dr. Anne Steiner is pretty brilliant. I had done lots of research prior to my appointment with her as we had been trying for over a year by that point in time. She was very patient with me even though some of my research wasn't really mainstream medicine. I could tell her mind was working to diagnose what could be happening. Regardless, she laid out our options very clearly and gave us her honest opinion on our chances. It enabled us to make a concise choice very quickly on how we wanted to proceed with possible treatments.
At the point at which I saw Dr. Steiner, we had been a year infertile already. My OB had already run some basic tests on me with thyroid, progesterone levels, etc. to verify everything was working as it should. She even ran me on a few cycles of Clomid and Fermara. So by the time I saw Dr. Steiner, I was pretty frustrated that nothing had worked thus far. Dr. Steiner suggested a procedural plan since we had exhausted the normal avenues and their correlated percentages of success. I felt as though she was more determined to see if the Fermara would work better for me at a higher dosage (something my OB hadn't suggested was an option). So she let us choose what path we wanted to take. We decided we'd start with fermara + IUI which clocked us in at 3x more likely to succeed than if we remained on the fermara alone. The next step was injections + IUI, however, that only got us to 9x likely to succeed, and the next step after that had a 15% success rate. So we decided to start with the 3x, then progress to the 15x for maximum results. We technically never even got to the first stage as the trigger shot + timed intercourse was all we needed to conceive. From this experience, I took away some knowledge that it's possible the cause might've been a hormonal result from the hormones I was already taking as well as poorly timed intercourse. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again with our next attempt, however, now I feel well-informed if it were to happen and how to work better with my body.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Very caring! The main nurse who responded to me via the patient portal worked around holiday schedules with me and provided me with progesterone samples enough to last me through the holiday closing hours.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Feel I've covered this already. Great strengths...didn't encounter weaknesses.
$600 +
we never discussed this
Raleigh
Dr Fritz explained from the very beginning that IVF was probably our last resort, and we had approached that point (not a hard sell, just informative). He listened to my concerns and considered my requests for extra tests, procedures, etc. My husband and I had several unsuccessful FET's and I felt like we all learned from each one and implemented steps to make the next one more likely to succeed. Eventually, we did have success.
The number of patients [at UNC Fertility] seemed smaller than at my first clinic. Everyone knew my name and remembered me at my visits. I was always seen within 10 minutes of arriving. The doctor staff rotated the monitoring visits, and I never had a bad experience... Dr Fritz encouraged us to do eSET for our FET's. We did eSET for the first two FET's, which resulted in a negative beta and a chemical pregnancy. For our third FET my husband and I decided to transfer two embryos. Dr Fritz was not in favor of this decision, but considering our history and age, was willing to do as we wished.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
The clinic has a very warm. welcoming staff overall. I really felt as though they understood what to say (and more importantly, what not to say) to someone experiencing infertility. Dr Fritz has a top-notch bedside manner, and probably made me laugh at every single appointment. I felt like the entire clinic wanted us to have a successful pregnancy.
I had unexplained infertility so I think I had a very basic protocol with Lupron, menopur, and Gonal-F. This did not change much through the course of four cycles. My retrievals produced good results for my age (38-39). We did PGS testing on all our day 5 embryos, then froze them all. We never did a fresh transfer because we were embryo banking.
Wendy is the best of the best.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The number of patients seemed smaller than at my first clinic. Everyone knew my name and remembered me at my visits. I was always seen within 10 minutes of arriving. The doctor staff rotated the monitoring visits, and I never had a bad experience.
We were accepted into the Attain program, which was $18,900 for two cycles. We ended up doing two cycles with embryo banking and then two FET's, which did not result in a successful pregnancy. Then we did it all over again, two more cycles at $18,900 with embryo banking and one FET. The medications were extra. Overall we spent approx $50,000 on IVF. None of it was covered under United Healthcare.
Describe Marc Fritz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Raleigh
Dr. Fritz was extremely professional and thorough as he reviewed the options that were available for our fertility situation. I did not feel pressured to accept the most aggressive approach to getting pregnant. He drafted more than one treatment plan as we sat there and discussed the pros and cons (regarding cost and success rate) of each plan. We left the initial consultation feeling relieved and comfortable with pursuing one of the plans that was discussed, knowing that the additional plan was available if we needed to refer to it.
The office [UNC Fertility] is beautiful. It is located in a multi-story building which requires you to take an elevator to reach the office. The waiting room has plenty of places to sit. They serve coffee and tea. There is also a television in the waiting room for those interested in watching while waiting for the appointment. All of the doctor's offices have opaque windows which create an open feeling as you walk down the hall.... The nurses were extremely kind.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
He will definitely draft your treatment plan but may not be the actual doctor to complete the procedure; however, all of the doctors in the office are capable of carrying out the plan according to how Dr. Fritz writes it.
I felt as though I was treated like a human. Dr. Fritz came out to the waiting room to greet my husband and me. He personally walked us to his office and provided us ample time to describe our infertility journey. He reviewed all of the medical documentation I provided as we sat there. He clearly explained our options without heavily suggesting what should be done. He allowed us to ask questions and further discuss our options.
We were identified as having unexplained infertility. Dr. Fritz suggested that we consider IUI or IVF. He told us that IVF may have a higher success rate than IUI but IUI was also a reasonable choice. He prescribed 150 mg of clomid, ultrasound monitoring to check my follicles, and an IUI after a positive ovulation test. I got pregnant from my first medicated IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
The nurses were extremely kind. When I needed blood work completed or called with questions, they always did so with compassion and care.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The office is beautiful. It is located in a multi-story building which requires you to take an elevator to reach the office. The waiting room has plenty of places to sit. They serve coffee and tea. There is also a television in the waiting room for those interested in watching while waiting for the appointment. All of the doctor's offices have opaque windows which create an open feeling as you walk down the hall.
The entire process (IUI, meds, office visits) cost between $800-$1000. However, the office assisted in billing some visits with our insurance at that time.
Raleigh
I felt as though Dr. Mersereau was going through the emotions with me. She was supportive and honest/direct during my care. I will never forget the sorrow in her voice when she called to inform me of my chemical pregnancy.... I feel like if you are looking for a more “outside of the box” approach then this is not the right Dr for you. I love Dr. M and all of her recommendations are evidenced based. Basically if it doesn’t show higher/better success rates it’s not typically recommended.
The office [UNC Fertility] is very clean and all staff member are friendly and warm. I do feel as though the attention I received overall during the IVF process was much better than with IUI cycles. You often see all the REs in the practice so might be disappointed when “your” RE isn’t performing a procedure. I also liked that the RE did ultrasounds during monitoring appointments.... I believe about 12,000 for IVF cycle plus meds, they did offer the multiple cycle program. 623 IUI
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Same as previous, if you feel like you would like a more “out of the box” approach this may not be the right fit for you.
I started my first cycle with lupron, that cycle was cancelled as I was oversupressed. 2nd, lupron removed from cycle 6 eggs 3 fertilized, 2 transferred on day 3 and resulted in chemical pregnancy 3rd same meds with HgH added along with acupuncture. 12 eggs, 10 fertilized, 1 5aa transferred and 3 frozen (4ab,4bb, 4bb)
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly )
Aly was and is still very attentive. She had open communication and was easy to get ahold of with any and all questions. When she was not available another nurse always was.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The office is very clean and all staff member are friendly and warm. I do feel as though the attention I received overall during the IVF process was much better than with IUI cycles. You often see all the REs in the practice so might be disappointed when “your” RE isn’t performing a procedure. I also liked that the RE did ultrasounds during monitoring appointments.
We decided early on that we would transfer what the RE recommended. We saw Dr. Stein for that transfer and she felt the other that were still progressing had a better chance to be successful with another day of growth and used for FET later.

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Young is honest but understands the need for humanity even in giving bad news.... He has given us options for our procedures and is always patient to explain those options, the risks, and the benefits to us.
Nurses were kind and warm and i'd say 75% of the time I see my OWN doctor instead of just one of the many rotating. I have the email address and phone numbers I need to contact my Dr. or my IVF nurse if I have questions...
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Young has been great to work with. He sees a lot of patients, but I never felt like a "number" when speaking with him. I occasionally have to remind him of my specific scenario, but its more just jogging his memory - he immideately picks up where we left off in our conversations and is clear and honest in our discussions. He has given us options for our procedures and is always patient to explain those options, the risks, and the benefits to us. He has a nice sense of humor (IMO, I make lots of jokes when I'm uncomfortable) and when things are going well he is beautifully optimistic and encouraging.
You're in the hands of a doctor and a professor, relax and let him guide you.
I felt cared for and KNOWN at this facility. Nurses were kind and warm and i'd say 75% of the time I see my OWN doctor instead of just one of the many rotating. I have the email address and phone numbers I need to contact my Dr. or my IVF nurse if I have questions and both have responded out of hours to my inquries. Dr Young has answered my MANY questions (lists and lists!) and spent a lot of time to tell me what details I need to know to feel comfortable. Dr. Young is honest but understands the need for humanity even in giving bad news.
Wendy is warm, compassionate, and wonderfully communicative. I often have lists and lists of questions and she patiently answers each one. I never feel like she is rushing to be done with me or that I am just another patient to her. I often wonder where she keeps her back storage of compassion because she surely cannot treat all her patients this kindly but she does. She is knowledgable and quick and she knows the Doctors that she works with well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were usually scheduled in a window from 7:30 am until 9 am. The earlier your appointment the more likely you are to get in and out quickly without any delay. You check in and sit in the waiting area like a normal appointment (but you know most of the women waiting around you are there for the same reason).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Just once there was mention of needing a narcotics Rx and no notice of anything to pick up. The issue was very quickly remedied.

2015, Successful
She [Dr. Natalie Crawford] was very warm, explained answers to our basic science questions well, and helped us understand the plan with the highest chance of success. After a very quick miscarriage, she was incredibly gentle and gave us time and encouragement for when we were ready... She was very warm, very honest and straightforward about our options, and when we had a negative interaction right before a critical step, she came in and reassured us we were on the right path
Strength [of UNC] was the quality of most of the staff. It is a teaching location, but I was a nerd who liked hearing what in-training fellows needed to know, and hear the thoughts of doctors out loud. The wait list is intimidating, especially if there's anything on the male side thay needs to be done.... They followed industry guidelines and only transferred one embryo the first time in a fresh cycle. Ethics guidelines gave us the option to put in 2 eggs the next time in a frozen transfer, and though one person we spoke to (for the first time), discouraged the two egg transfer, I was young, healthy, tall, and my husband had already raised twins, so what was one more set? We put in two eggs, they both grew, and it was a great experience.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
She was very warm, explained answers to our basic science questions well, and helped us understand the plan with the highest chance of success. After a very quick miscarriage, she was incredibly gentle and gave us time and encouragement for when we were ready.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Be honest and ask any question, she'll answer and have your back.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Natalie Crawford used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
The dosage stayed relatively low and there was still very high growth. A cyst on one side of my ovaries actually came in handy because it reduced the overall number of eggs growing. The amount of drugs I was prescribed matched very well with what I ordered in advance so there was little to no wasted drugs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Snyder )
Wendy was a godsend! She was my best friend, the shoulder to cry on, and biggest champion until handoff to the obgyn.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strength was the quality of most of the staff. It is a teaching location, but I was a nerd who liked hearing what in-training fellows needed to know, and hear the thoughts of doctors out loud. The wait list is intimidating, especially if there's anything on the male side thay needs to be done.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility.
I remember a really transparent talk with Jim the finance guy who explained my insurance was pretty awesome. Our total out of pocket for UNC was around $8k?
Describe Natalie Crawford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Natalie Crawford