7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000

2021 - 2022, Consult
How was your experience with Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility?
I would describe Dr. Neal-Perry as a kind soul. It was important to me to find a RE that looked like me and when I found her, I made sure to tell her that. Her response was so encouraging and she let me know that black women deserve to feel heard and seen by their physicians and that was her goal in her practice. So, far she has met her words. I look forward to walking through this journey with her to further experience her kindness. I have not experienced her bedside manner yet as we have only had virtual conversations. I will say that I do feel confident that Dr. Neal-Perry has me and my husband's best interest at heart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility?
Come with your questions because she has answers!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Neal-Perry made me feel like a human by always asking how I'm doing. Even though we've only had virtually visits, she was intentional to check in with me on how I was feeling and offered encouragement. This meant a lot to me!
Describe the protocols Genevieve Neal-Perry used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We have not started treatment yet.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I have only experienced the nurses while have bloodwork drawn. My nurse/phelbotomist was nice enough. He didn't have much to say which I wasn't really expecting a lot of small talk.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
UNC Fertility is very organized compared to a previous clinic that I was a patient under. The patient portal and patient messages are very helpful. I appreciate at this because I can easily see what to expect concerning our treatment plan and my test results. The staff are pleasant which is nice especially when dealing with high stress of fertility difficulties. I also love that the staff in the clinic are very diverse. One weakness I have found is there seems to only be one person scheduling appointments, this can be frustrating when trying to schedule an appointment but you continue to get the voicemail and end up playing phone tag.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Genevieve Neal-Perry at UNC Fertility.
Cost directly to clinic for needed treatment-$14,000 Additional costs if needed- $16,000
Describe Genevieve Neal-Perry's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We have not gotten this far yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Dr. Neal-Perry ordered that I have a HSG done. I scheduled the appointment but then thought more about it. I realized that I had a HSG done in 2020 already under my OB-GYN and those results were already sent to UNC Fertility. I questioned if it would be necessary for me to do this procedure again since I already had one and my treatment plan is already in place for IVF so, tubal disease is not a factor at this point. I sent a message through the portal and one of the partnering physicians confirmed that I did not need to do that procedure again. Not a big deal but I'm glad that I had the thought to ask to avoid an unnecessary procedure.
Genevieve Neal-Perry

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Coward did a varicocele repair, and it went very smoothly, and recovery was relatively easy...[he] wasn't exactly involved in cycles. He addressed male factor issues...He didn't seem rushed during our appointments. He was open to listening to us and took the time to explain things and answer questions. His kindness and acknowledgment our pain from infertility and miscarriage also meant a lot.
my biggest complaint about this [UNC Fertility] clinic is that I find the front desk very difficult to communicate with. They never answer the phone so you always have to leave a message...Sometimes they don't call you back at all (messaging through the patient portal is sometimes better)...related to costs, it wasn't always clear what was happening. For example, one time the front desk said we have a "credit", but we had never really gotten a bill for any of the clinic visits
How was your experience with Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Coward did a varicocele repair, and it went very smoothly, and recovery was relatively easy. I wish that was all that mattered, but during this emotional time, bedside manner also matters. And Dr. Coward is great. He isn't overly emotional or warm, but he has a way of showing respect and kindness. He was easy to talk to and seemed present during appointments. I trusted his medical advice and skills. He was clear about what he knew vs what he didn't, and it seemed like he was up to date on literature and also weighing general recommendations with our particular situation. I would definitely recommend him for any male-factor needs!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Like many fertility doctors, it takes time to get in. Otherwise, this advice isn't specific to Dr. Coward, but it has helped me with him and other doctors. And that it is important to do your own homework too and be prepared with questions. In this instance, it was helpful to look at the semen analysis and other labs ahead of time. Then I could be prepared to ask him if something looks off but he hasn't brought it up. He was always willing to explain why that didn't concern him or thank me for bringing it to his attention.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Coward seemed to really care and want the best for us. It didn't feel like he was pushing us into treatments. He didn't seem rushed during our appointments. He was open to listening to us and took the time to explain things and answer questions. His kindness and acknowledgment our pain from infertility and miscarriage also meant a lot.
Describe the protocols Matt Coward used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Coward wasn't exactly involved in cycles. He addressed male factor issues, primarily through varicocele surgery. It is too early to say if it has helped.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I haven't interacted with them much, but all the interactions were positive so far.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Dr. Coward is great and worth the following! However, my biggest complaint about this clinic is that I find the front desk very difficult to communicate with. They never answer the phone so you always have to leave a message. And then sit by your phone all day hoping not to miss their call, which is hard if you're trying to work. Sometimes they don't call you back at all (messaging through the patient portal is sometimes better). When you finally talk to someone, it doesn't seem like they know what is going on and sometimes they can also be very rude. I get that their job is probably really hard sometimes, but these interactions have made a hard experience worse.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matt Coward at UNC Fertility.
About the previous group of questions - I'm not sure if I could answer them all appropriately given we haven't undergone assisted fertility treatment yet. But related to costs, it wasn't always clear what was happening. For example, one time the front desk said we have a "credit", but we had never really gotten a bill for any of the clinic visits. The varicocele surgery was a different story as it was conducted in a different facility. We got bills and financial information from that, but that was luckily covered by insurance (after deductible and coinsurance).
Describe Matt Coward's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
As described in an earlier section, my main complaint is the front desk/scheduling people.
Matt Coward

2020 - 2022, Consult
Dr. Coward is very knowledgeable and appears to be a very skilled surgeon, but I always felt he was quick to promote drastic procedures without evidence to justify them. It's always felt as if he's pushed me to different surgeries, not out of necessity, but more out of a hope that it may do something...The consultations felt more like being told what to do without having a conversation about options. The diagnoses were always extreme and I was hesitant to follow through with them. I did not feel comfortable or heard.
This clinic [UNC Fertility] is well connected with local fertility clinics and well respected. Their weaknesses is that they're extremely booked so consultations and surgeries are booked months out. They are also so busy that it is easy to feel like a number and not a patient...I only had interactions with the nursing staff when I was scheduled for a surgery I did not request. It took multiple phone calls with multiple people to cancel the surgery.
How was your experience with Matt Coward at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Coward is very knowledgeable and appears to be a very skilled surgeon, but I always felt he was quick to promote drastic procedures without evidence to justify them. It's always felt as if he's pushed me to different surgeries, not out of necessity, but more out of a hope that it may do something. I understand male factor infertility is hard to diagnose, but he would recommend surgeries with no clear benefit, but was simply hopeful that after the surgery I "may" see an increase. The surgeries were also booked months out and also require months of recovery before seeing benefits, so pursuing any of the surgeries would put us behind another year in our fertility journey. I frequently felt like I was not heard and I was being steered towards surgeries with no clear benefit. I started seeking consultations with other urologists.
If you have a clear diagnosis for male factor infertility, I'm sure he is a great urologist to operate on you. If you have unexplained male factor, I would take all recommendations with a grain of salt and seek a second opinion before pursuing a surgery.
I was diagnosed with minimal varicoceles although my semen analyses were fine. He recommended I pursue a varicocele repair although there was no evidence it was necessary or would improve my already acceptable semen quality. I was told my numbers were definitely good enough for IVF so we pursued that. We had a failed transfer and in the review he again recommended varicocele repair as well as TESE. Upon receiving second opinions from two other urologists, I am comfortable declining the two procedures as their is no known advantages from either procedure to my specific case.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
This clinic is well connected with local fertility clinics and well respected. Their weaknesses is that they're extremely booked so consultations and surgeries are booked months out. They are also so busy that it is easy to feel like a number and not a patient.
Consultations are $350 for an hour, possibly more now.
Matt Coward

2022, Successful
[Dr. Leah Bressler] was very optimistic without giving me too much hope in scenarios where I was asking for advice and real expectations. Very thorough and helping me understand the next steps and what the plan was at all times. I very much appreciated her willingness to jump on the phone and to reach out to other teams to help her input regarding my health...trying to select for a child without CF, we were told always to transfer one single embryo.
The front desk [at UNC Fertility] sometimes doesn’t answer which is difficult, and if you were calling in to talk to the doctor sometimes I don’t think they receive those messages and they do better with utilizing the patient portal...I understood every step of the way and [nurse] help put me at ease at the most stressful points in the process. She probably email back, at night and even on the weekends.
How was your experience with Leah Bressler at UNC Fertility?
She was very optimistic without giving me too much hope in scenarios where I was asking for advice and real expectations. Very thorough and helping me understand the next steps and what the plan was at all times. I very much appreciated her willingness to jump on the phone and to reach out to other teams to help her input regarding my health.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Leah Bressler at UNC Fertility?
Not to hesitate to reach out.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Leah Bressler at UNC Fertility?
She emailed me back properly and was very eager to call and talk to me in person. She was very empathetic and understanding, I would definitely recommend her for other patients
Describe the protocols Leah Bressler used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Not sure if I have a relevant piece here, she mostly was involved with my transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy, RN)
Wendy is an amazing nurse, I could not thank her enough for all of her care, she was a therapist, nurse, and an amazing communicator. I understood every step of the way and she help put me at ease at the most stressful points in the process. She probably email back, at night and even on the weekends.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The front desk sometimes doesn’t answer which is difficult, and if you were calling in to talk to the doctor sometimes I don’t think they receive those messages and they do better with utilizing the patient portal. They are finance team, Tina as incredible as well at reaching out to Insurance etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Leah Bressler at UNC Fertility.
Most was covered under our insurance, copays for medications and 250 for the entire retrieval and transfer rounds.
Describe Leah Bressler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Given that we did not have unknown and Fertility or any factors other than trying to select for a child without CF, we were told always to transfer one single embryo.
Leah Bressler

2020 - 2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] is honest and informative with explaining things. She could have more compassion but she is blunt and doesn’t tell you what you want to hear but what needs to happen and what you need to hear...She is honest and works with you and is fast to respond when you need her...She spent time talking with me and explained things well.
They [UNC Fertility] are great with getting you in for an appointment quickly and responding back to phone calls and e-mails in a timely manner. I feel very comfortable with everyone there and all staff is very kind...[the nurse] was very good with being compassionate and understanding of my situation at the time. She explained how to do all meds and would answer any and all questions as needed.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She is honest and informative with explaining things. She could have more compassion but she is blunt and doesn’t tell you what you want to hear but what needs to happen and what you need to hear.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She is honest and works with you and is fast to respond when you need her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She spent time talking with me and explained things well.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Mersereau used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Currently doing rounds of leterozole and mid cycle checks for follicle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy )
She was very good with being compassionate and understanding of my situation at the time. She explained how to do all meds and would answer any and all questions as needed.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They are great with getting you in for an appointment quickly and responding back to phone calls and e-mails in a timely manner. I feel very comfortable with everyone there and all staff is very kind.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
The appointments were easy to make and I could get the day and time that I needed. They would fit you in as needed for all appointments
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.
My insurance covered most visits but Fertilty sparing and transfer for ivf aren’t included
Describe Jennifer Mersereau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
Next step is ivf if no luck with leterozole

2021, Successful
Dr. Fritz was very nice, yet very professional. He was very approachable and didn’t make us feel like a just a number. He seemed very knowledgeable and explained everything to us very detailed. He also had a lot of patience to answer all our questions. It’s sad that he’s retired but I wish him the best...explained everything to us very detailed and answered all our questions and doubts without any issues and in a timely manner.
UNC fertility is very professional. Waits for your appointments are not as long as other places. The nurses, and radiology techs are nice and professional too. Their place was always neat and good variety of snacks, coffee and water bottles in the waiting area...Wendy was a great nurse. On top of everything, making sure everything gets done in a timely manner. And helped us navigate some trouble with the pharmacy not having our meds ready on time.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Fritz is retired now but UNC fertility is a great clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
The Dr. And staff explained everything to us very detailed and answered all our questions and doubts without any issues and in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility.
They were competitive and reasonable
Describe Marc Fritz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
I only had one healthy embryo formed so never got to that conversation.
Raleigh

Dr. Mersereau is more on the blunt side, but I like that about her. I would rather know the truth. She is always willing to answer all of our questions, and even met with us late once when my husband was running late...We are unexplained fertility. We have done 3 IUI's + 2 IUI's with clomid. Additionally, we have done 1 round of IVF, which was unsuccessful. Fortunately, we bought 3 cycles upfront.
[nurse of UNC Fertility] responds so quick to emails, and honestly, I feel she is holding my hand every step of the way...I like that UNC allows you to purchase multiple cycles upfront...First 3 IUI's were $300 a piece (with help of insurance), the next 2 IU's with clomid were $1000 each. We paid about $30K for 3 cycles of IVF and have used one.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Overall, I like Dr. M. I was referred to her by 2 friends, one who is an OB, so that was comforting. I do wish, however, that in the past we had been a bit more aggressive. I wish that we would have been encouraged to go straight to IVF after 3 failed IUI's. I do feel that she cares for her patients, and I do recommend her overall. She practices very evidenced-based medicine.
Come with all of your questions, b/c otherwise, you may forget them. If you have a question, ASK it.
I Dr. Merserau is more on the blunt side, but I like that about her. I would rather know the truth. She is always willing to answer all of our questions, and even met with us late once when my husband was running late.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy)
Mindy was great- responds so quick to emails, and honestly, I feel she is holding my hand every step of the way.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
UNC has gotten us in quickly, and overall we have been pleased with our experience. I like that UNC allows you to purchase multiple cycles upfront, but I wish they allowed you to know the sex of the embryos prior to transfer.
On our first transfer, we did 1 embryo. On our second transfer, we did 2. Neither was successful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I wouldn't say this was necessarily fault on the part of the doctors, but I just feel that my husband got some info from the repro endocrinologist that was not completely in sync with what I got from Dr. M-- this was likely my husband's fault, since I believe he was misinterpreting the info. I would recommend for you and your partner to attend office appointments together.

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Mersereau is patient and kind. She is honest and explains all the pros and cons. She is encouraging and extremely knowledgeable about infertility. She is pleasant and always greets us with a smile...Dr. M explained to me the reasoning behind why they only do single embryo transfer. She was real and honest...You want to have a doctor who is in your corner rooting for you to win, and that is who Dr. Mersereau is!
The [UNC Fertility] clinic has so many strengths. I have been going there for 2 yrs now and I haven’t noticed any weaknesses. What I love the most is how easy it is to communicate with Dr. M and the clinic’s team. Using the patient portal, I feel at ease knowing no matter what, someone will respond...The nursing staff is friendly, helpful and pleasant.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Trust your doctor and the process! Patience is a virtue. It is needed during this journey. You want to have a doctor who is in your corner rooting for you to win, and that is who Dr. Mersereau is!
Dr. M always greats us with a smile. She takes her time explaining things. She is personable and patient. She draw illustrations so we can have a visual of what will happen next. She is warm and kind.
Dr. Mersereau placed me on Fermara to help me ovulate. I have PCOS, so at the time, I went 6 months without a period. She gave me a medicine to bring the menstrual down and then the Femara to ovulate.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
The nursing staff is friendly, helpful and pleasant.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic has so many strengths. I have been going there for 2 yrs now and I haven’t noticed any weaknesses. What I love the most is how easy it is to communicate with Dr. M and the clinic’s team. Using the patient portal, I feel at ease knowing no matter what, someone will respond.
Dr. M explained to me the reasoning behind why they only do single embryo transfer. She was real and honest! Not only did she give me the percentage for how many embryos survive, but she explained with a real life scenario. That helped put things into perspective. If multiple embryo transfer isn’t successful, it would be devastating for everyone involved.
Raleigh

Very good at making sure I understood my diagnosis of stage 4 endometriosis and the different treatment options available. We decided the best plan to help increase fertility but also what it would mean long term ... Dr. Young is a great doctor to see if you have endometriosis. He is an expert in the field. I dealt more often with his fellow, Dr. Moustafa, who was also amazing. Very compassionate and educated. They work together very well and I felt heard and taken care of. Dr. Moustafa was also available very easy to get in touch with if I had questions or concerns. Would absolutely recommend this clinic.
Overall great, and [UNC Fertility] ran on time. Staff and nurses are all personable and approachable. Easy to get to, very clean. Coffee and tv in waiting room, lots of windows. They have their own portal online system that allows you to connect with your team whenever you have questions and view your treatment schedule and details online at any time. ... We decided to have laparoscopic surgery to remove endometrial tissue and lesions as well as a large cyst. This was to reduce the chronic pain I was having as well as increase fertility.
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Ask as many questions as you can think of because he knows everything about Endometriosis - I came out of our appointment feeling much more “in charge” of this disease diagnosis
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Steven Young used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We decided to have laparoscopic surgery to remove endometrial tissue and lesions as well as a large cyst. This was to reduce the chronic pain I was having as well as increase fertility. We have planned for an embryo transfer (IVF from a clinic in Canada) with 1 frozen embryo. I am currently taking Orlissa to suppress endometriosis until we can schedule a transfer cycle.
Very personable, organized
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Overall great, and ran on time. Staff and nurses are all personable and approachable. Easy to get to, very clean. Coffee and tv in waiting room, lots of windows. They have their own portal online system that allows you to connect with your team whenever you have questions and view your treatment schedule and details online at any time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Young at UNC Fertility.
Don’t remember
Describe Steven Young's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We only have one embryo
Steven Young
Raleigh

Linnea is level headed and calm, which is a good match for anyone who may be feeling emotional about where they are in their infertility journey. She has answers any questions I have had along the way fully, let me know what I *dont* have so we can try to figure out what is causing my infertility, and has taken this whole process step by step...
[UNC Fertility staff] They are usually on time and I don’t spend long waiting for my scheduled appointment. It’s easy to schedule appointments and they are responsive in their online question portal. The accounting team is proactive in letting me know what I should expect to spend for each visit...My first ultrasound was close to $500, but with that I reached my max and all other appointments have been 10% of the procedure. Most things have been insurance eligible.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
It can feel like things might be moving slowly, but Dr. Goodman has suggested the right treatment/procedures in the right order for me to be able to understand why we are having trouble conceiving, so trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Goodman is a very kind person who explains everything very clearly and was the first person to be able to give me real answers about my infertility.
Describe the protocols Linnea Goodman used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Goodman was able to finally confirm that I did not have PCOs due to some labs that were run. I’m currently taking Levitrozole, but after a few months with no pregnancy, we did an ultrasound and found that I was already superovulating, so we didn’t increase my dosage. Then, we did an HSG to see if I had a blockage. No blockage was found, but they were able to see that my uterus shake was abnormal, so we did a 3D ultrasound and they were able to confirm that I had a uterine septum. The next step for me is to have a procedure to remove the septum, and continue trying until next steps are required.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
The nursing staff is great, my one pain point is that I requested a female doctor, and my first visit they had a male intern there assigned to me with the doctor. I decided that in the end I didn’t care enough to say anything, but it would have been appreciated if the nursing staff looked at my request before having a male intern participate in my procedures.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They are usually on time and I don’t spend long waiting for my scheduled appointment. It’s easy to schedule appointments and they are responsive in their online question portal. The accounting team is proactive in letting me know what I should expect to spend for each visit. The only negative is my comment on the previous question.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility.
Describe Linnea Goodman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Goodman made us felt comfortable...listened to our concerns before making recommendations, and was flexible in helping come up with what felt like a customized plan...told us the baseline and mid cycle ultrasound were not completely necessary. This saved us the stress of having to make 2 additional trips plus taking time off work, and the cost of the ultrasounds...she had a quick ultrasound set up just to confirm before we went through with the IUI, and we were not charged...
UNC Fertility is very advanced from a technological standpoint. It was very easy to set up an initial consultation, we received email communications in a timely manner and were directed to a patient portal online that was detailed and accurate, and made us feel comfortable...[Dr. Goodman] listened to our concerns before making recommendations, and was flexible in helping come up with what felt like a customized plan...
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Goodman was thorough in her descriptions and explanations about the process, the science behind it, but also the involvement of mother nature in creating life. Although she may have been blunt at times, it was with good intention. She was comfortable with using previous ultrasounds to identify the viability of the eggs, but then when the day of IUI came, she had a quick ultrasound set up just to confirm before we went through with the IUI, and we were not charged. So although it was a bit unexpected to have an ultrasound done when you are going in for IUI, it made us feel good that she wanted to be extra cautious and wasn't going to charge us since it wasn't something that had been in our original plans. We felt very good leaving Dr. Goodman's office because she was clear with her instructions and the next steps involved, and took our comments and concerns into consideration prior to making any recommendations.
Relax, and ask lots of questions. She is very down to earth and will be happy to answer you and listen to your concerns.
Dr. Goodman made us felt comfortable, speaking to us in a practical manner while also explaining in detail some of the answers to our questions. She listened to our concerns before making recommendations, and was flexible in helping come up with what felt like a customized plan, not a cookie cutter list of next steps she would give to everyone else.
We had done 3 cycles of Letrozole, then 2 cycles of Letrozole with injection, through a different doctor prior to coming to see Dr. Goodman. We discussed the fact that we were interested in IUI since it was now covered under our insurance plan. We were on our 31st cycle of trying, and Dr. Goodman agreed that IUI would be appropriate. We stayed with Letrozole and had a choice of doing a day 3 baseline ultrasound, followed by a mid cycle ultrasound prior to the IUI. Since it involved travel of over 2 hours for each visit, and since we had previously done treatments that included ultrasounds which the records transferred over, Dr. Goodman told us the baseline and mid cycle ultrasound were not completely necessary. This saved us the stress of having to make 2 additional trips plus taking time off work, and the cost of the ultrasounds. We did not see success on our first cycle of IUI, and then on our second cycle the coronavirus shut down treatments, but we are hopeful to return for future treatment as soon as possible.
Raleigh
Dr. Goodman is an exceptional fertility specialist. Coming to her after a devastating miscarriage, she helped us process the loss and begin treatment with assurance. Always an excellent communicator, she also has a warm but wry demeanor and a realistic but encouraging attitude toward treatment. Indeed, she guided us to the exact right treatment plan such that when we had setbacks, we were able to weather them easily and stay the course having already anticipated them. Fertility treatment isn’t easy and I don’t think we could have completed it without her caring and careful guidance.
Although our primary care doctor was Linnea Goodman, we had the opportunity to be seen by every single doctor in the [UNC Fertility] clinic: everyone was wonderful. The nursing staff was wonderful and our care coordinator was wonderful. Even the receptionist was wonderful. I would recommend UNC Fertility to everyone...Mindy was a wonderful nurse...These appointments were all early in the morning and easily managed with schedule with little flexibility. We were able to get in and out quickly with marginal time.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Trust her advice: she knows what she’s talking about and won’t direct you toward unnecessary or unwarranted treatment plans.
Dr. Goodman is an exceptional doctor: while realistic about probabilities, she remained hopeful and encouraging about outcomes. “Cautiously optimistic” was the phrase of the day.
Having low egg reserves, we followed a max dosage for fertility drugs for each retrieval (gonal + menapur): 3 total retrievals. We also decided to freeze and test all embryos for each cycle before implanting due to concerns about poor egg quality and thus avoided implanting embryos that would have resulted in another miscarriage (and additional setbacks in timing).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy )
Mindy was a wonderful nurse (she held my hand for our first ultrasound because my partner couldn’t be present knowing that were were fearing a failed implantation). Mindy also served as my care coordinator, making sure that we were taking all the right drugs in the right way, emailing explicitly instructors the night before retrieval. All the nursing staff who regularly took my vitals and blood were wonderful as well: Everyone knew my name and treated me like family.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Although our primary care doctor was Linnea Goodman, we had the opportunity to be seen by every single doctor in the clinic: everyone was wonderful. The nursing staff was wonderful and our care coordinator was wonderful. Even the receptionist was wonderful. I would recommend UNC Fertility to everyone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
$52k for 3 retrievals (including meds but not including extra genetic testing of embryos or Anesthesia for retrieval, which totaled ~$5k)
Dr. Goodman directed us to do a single embryo transfer to avoid complications with pregnancy (preterm birth, low birth rate and miscarriage).

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Peavey was so nice and sweet. Being 27 I was one of the younger patients in the clinic. She took her time in explaining everything in detail. From the why it’s not working now to how we’re gonna get me pregnant. I felt hopeful for the first time in a long time when I left that day. ... PCOS and male infertility factor were our diagnoses. We are in the early stages currently.
Very clean and updated clinic [UNC Fertility]. One side is for bloodwork and consultations/meeting with your doctor. The other side is the lab for the embryos as well as the surgical suites. ... Nursing staff is wonderful! They are always smiling and making you feel welcome. ... It’s beautiful and well laid out. ... PCOS and male infertility factor were our diagnoses. We are in the early stages currently. Using 5mg of Letrozol on days 3-7 and then intercourse days 11,13,15,17. Our first month it didn’t work. So we’re going to try upping the medication and getting another semen analysis to see if IUI would work better for us.
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey is very welcoming. Doesn’t make you feel rushed. Explains everything in detail. Makes a plan for you. If there’s something that needs to be tweaked she will do it as soon as possible. Quick responses on the portal from her or the nurses are awesome as well. I’m so glad I chose Dr. Peavey and I know one day she will help me be successful at getting pregnant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Do it! Any excuse you have, throw it out the window. Go see her and it will change your life.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Mary Peavey used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very clean and updated clinic. One side is for bloodwork and consultations/meeting with your doctor. The other side is the lab for the embryos as well as the surgical suites. It’s beautiful and well laid out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility.
Not sure yet. Waiting on bills to be sent.
Raleigh

I've only seen Dr. Goodman twice, but I have access via the on-line patient portal... I see different Drs. when I go in for ultrasounds and had an RN do the IUI...team approach...quite good about making you feel like your case is important to them...they aren't necessarily the best at reaching out to you to see if you have questions...Sometimes, I left the clinic and didn't know what to expect...
UNC Fertility is a very comfortable atmosphere. The staff are discrete and everything is clean and welcoming. Everyone I've interacted with there is kind, from the front desk to the phlebotomists to the Drs., RNs, and financial staff...I see different Drs. when I go in for ultrasounds and had an RN do the IUI. However, they work well as a team - team approach...The IUI is about $1,100.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Sometimes, I left the clinic and didn't know what to expect. While they make you feel comfortable and like your situation is important to them, they aren't necessarily the best at reaching out to you to see if you have questions. This is a game in which you have to be resourceful and seek them out for answers to your questions.
Make sure you contact them with any questions. Have questions ready for your visits.
Dr. Goodman's team is quite good about making you feel like your case is important to them.
We used Letrozole and transvaginal ultrasound monitoring, for the most part. You take the Letrozole on days 3-7 of your cycle, with cycle day 1 being the first day of your period. You come back mid-cycle for an ultrasound, to see if you have a viable follicle. I also used the Ovidrel shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Soucy)
I have never actually met the RN that works with my Dr. I see different Drs. when I go in for ultrasounds and had an RN do the IUI. However, they work well as a team - team approach - and I don't mind it. I've only seen Dr. Goodman twice, but I have access via the on-line patient portal to all of them.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The IUI is about $1,100. The ultrasounds, for monitoring, are about $125-200 each. The Ovidrel shot was about $90. The Letrozole was under $10. The initial consult was totally covered under insurance, so I'm not sure how much that cost.
2017 - 2020, Successful
He [Dr. Marc Fritz] was nice about everything each visit!!Explaining to me of my option better than the previous physicians!! He gave me a better look as a human to move forward with still trying to conceive!! Now that I am over 40...He felt very concerned of the JOURNEY...we used donor eggs...IS A STRAIGHT FORWARD PERSON TELLING YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHILE ON YOUR JOURNEY
nurses of [UNC Fertility] were able to answer all the concerns that I needed to plan for future procedures and answered quickly through patient portal...There has never been a clinic worker that has not answered or addressed questions that I had to have answered...They have a care in there hearts when you enter the office...cost about $18,000
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
DR FRITZ IS A STRAIGHT FORWARD PERSON TELLING YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHILE ON YOUR JOURNEY TO CONCIEVING AND HELPING YOU MAKE THE BEST DECISION GOING FORWARD WITH TRYING TO HAVE A LOVING BUNDLE OF Joy!!He felt very concerned of the JOURNEY that I had been on!! Even making me feel special when I told my story to him!! Full of tears an heartache!! Of me wanting a baby so so bad!! And then him giving me hope that it could happen!! By using donor eggs!! But he mad me feel comfortable with myself to except the decision that I mad to move FORWARD
Express your JOURNEY to him!! And he will do his best to make a plan work for you
He was nice about everything each visit!!Explaining to me of my option better than the previous physicians!! He gave me a better look as a human to move forward with still trying to conceive!! Now that I am over 40
Describe the protocols Marc Fritz (retired) used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Really he was just able to explained a put a few plan option in place for me to choose from
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
They were able to answer all the concerns that I needed to plan for future procedures and answered quickly through patient portal
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There was always a pleasant visit and courteous costumer service!! They have never been a clinic worker that has not answered or addressed questions that I had to have answered!! I would recommend this clinic to someone who is in need of fertility care!! They have a care in there hearts when you enter the office!! That's my experience with this clinic!! And I will forever appreciate there services
Raleigh

She [Dr. Mersereau] is a great communicator. She answers medical questions very well. She tries hard to keep you on the least invasive track as possible. She is thorough on her initial workup. She rushes through appointments. She doesn't follow up well on test results, leaving you to figure out what they mean. When I did end up pregnant she seemed unexcited, and telling her it ended in miscarriage phased her even less.
The support staff [at UNC Fertility] is great with communication. Getting an appointment can be difficult if you are looking for a specific day or time. They draw all of their own labs so you do not have to travel to another location...On my initial visit I had a ton of labs drawn. Once they all resulted i got an email that they were in my portal so I went and looked at them. On the reports there were no explanations and no one called me to tell me about my results I had to figure them out on my own.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She is a great communicator. She answers medical questions very well. She tries hard to keep you on the least invasive track as possible. She is thorough on her initial workup. She rushes through appointments. She doesn't follow up well on test results, leaving you to figure out what they mean. When I did end up pregnant she seemed unexcited, and telling her it ended in miscarriage phased her even less.
Be ready with questions, don't let her make you feel rushed.
Dr. M on consultation was warm, inviting, and thorough. She explained everything to us and ordered so many tests. Once the tests came back, however, I was left to figure out what they meant on my own. Same thing happened with my husband's sperm analysis. We ended up pregnant on our last round of letrozole and when I messaged her to tell her the news she was not excited she had me call to get an HCG check. Once the HCG was completed we went in for an ultrasound, she was extremely cold, there was no smile, no sincere congratulations just a "yup there's a baby, there's the sac, you can go to your regular doctor now" and she just left the room. We found out a few weeks later that we had a missed miscarriage we sent a message letting her know and she just said "that stinks, let me know when you have a period again" no mention of what the plan might be next.
I came to the clinic already prescribed metformin and letrozole, we had already tried 3 rounds. She decided to extend that treatment plan for 6 more cycles. We did end up pregnant but it ended in miscarriage
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
All the staff I came in contact with were super helpful, compassionate and caring. I didn't see many nurses only people drawing labs
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The support staff is great with communication. Getting an appointment can be difficult if you are looking for a specific day or time. They draw all of their own labs so you do not have to travel to another location.
my costs were minimal thanks to my insurance
Raleigh
Dr. Peavey spoke to me by name through both the patient portal and in person. She remembered my husband, the duration we were together, etc...was very clear- spoke through drawing images, speaking thoroughly, and also through asking questions. I believe this helps her with all different types of patients. She was very encouraging and positive but realistic too. I never felt like I was doing a test that wasn't necessary. Overall, 10 out of 10!
everything was clean and quick [at UNC Fertility]! when i walked in i didn't know what to expect and was nervous...i never sat in the lobby waiting for more than 5-7 minutes which i thought was incredible. the entire floor was clean and neat. the nurses was approachable and friendly- always asked how my day was and engaged...Everyone was great!...
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey was very clear- spoke through drawing images, speaking thoroughly, and also through asking questions. I believe this helps her with all different types of patients. She was very encouraging and positive but realistic too. I never felt like I was doing a test that wasn't necessary. Overall, 10 out of 10!
enjoy
Everyone was great!
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
everything was clean and quick! when i walked in i didn't know what to expect and was nervous. after walking in, i was immediately greeted and had my temperature taken for covid precautions. i never sat in the lobby waiting for more than 5-7 minutes which i thought was incredible. the entire floor was clean and neat. the nurses was approachable and friendly- always asked how my day was and engaged.
Raleigh

[Dr. Linnea Goodman] was extremely friendly and supportive while being realistic with possible outcomes. She made us both feel very comfortable and in control of the whole process...She took the time needed to answer any questions and we never felt rushed. She was genuine and compassionate...She can have a bit of dry humor (which I appreciated) to lighten the mood so don’t stay so serious the whole time...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I created and ovulated my egg every month but we never became pregnant after 18 months of trying. We tried 3 unsuccessful IUIs and followed directly with IVF and a successful fresh transfer.
The wait times could be quite long [at UNC Fertility] some days. The receptionist wasn’t the friendliest. The phlebotomists were skilled and accurate...We tried 3 unsuccessful IUIs and followed directly with IVF and a successful fresh transfer...Ally [nurse] wasn’t my favorite. She was all business. She was knowledgeable and helpful but not as warm as I prefer. Wendy was absolutely wonderful. She saw my upset one day and went out of her way to call me to make sure everything was ok. She was truly one of the warmest and most genuine people I’ve ever met.
How was your experience with Linnea Goodman at UNC Fertility?
Dr Goodman was always positive and personable. She took the time needed to answer any questions and we never felt rushed. She was genuine and compassionate. I was sad we had to leave her care but happy we were able to graduate to a regular obgyn
Dr Goodman was extremely friendly and supportive while being realistic with possible outcomes. She made us both feel very comfortable and in control of the whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ally )
Ally wasn’t my favorite. She was all business. She was knowledgeable and helpful but not as warm as I prefer. Wendy was absolutely wonderful. She saw my upset one day and went out of her way to call me to make sure everything was ok. She was truly one of the warmest and most genuine people I’ve ever met.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The wait times could be quite long some days. The receptionist wasn’t the friendliest. The phlebotomists were skilled and accurate. Avoid Dr. Mercero at all costs. She has terrible bedside manner and will introduce herself to you over and over even if it’s the 4th time you’ve seen her.
Insurance covered my 3 IUIs and most testing up until I started the IVF process and testing. Then it was all out of pocket
With the diagnosis of unexplained infertility it was suggested to transfer 1 egg since we didn’t know the reason as to why I wasn’t becoming pregnant
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
We had some trouble with insurance and medicine coverage so we had to have a couple different meds called in to see what was covered. Only 1 of the 2 meds were called in so I had to get ahold of the nurse on call over the weekend to fix it.

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Peavey was an amazing doctor for us. She really went above and beyond to help us understand each step of the way. She would call on the weekend if I had a question, I never felt like just a number to her. We could not say enough great things...was great from the very first appointment. My husband and I felt very confided that she was doing everything she could to help us have our now son....She was very straight forward with us and when we should move form IUI to IVF. We always felt like she had our best interested in mind and what would be best for us.
UNC Fertility was a great clinic and we had a great experience their, the only thing is that the wait time could be rather long. Sometimes I waiting up to 30 plus minute for a blood draw but it just depend on the day. I just made sure I added more time then I thought I needed for the appointment...Mindy [nurse] was amazing, she always answered my emails or question with in an day and was always so happy and positive. I really missed her when we switch to our main OBGYN practice...For our IUIs they were around $500 for each round. With IVF we paid $2000 to start and then about $1000 for the medicine and then we paid $2800 for our PSG testing
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey was great from the very first appointment. My husband and I felt very confided that she was doing everything she could to help us have our now son. She explained everything about why we were doing each step and test. She was very straight forward with us and when we should move form IUI to IVF. We always felt like she had our best interested in mind and what would be best for us.
To trust her and know that she wants the same goal for her patients
Dr. Peavey was an amazing doctor for us. She really went above and beyond to help us understand each step of the way. She would call on the weekend if I had a question, I never felt like just a number to her. We could not say enough great things about our experience at UNC with Dr Peavey
We started with IUI's not medicated due to the fact that it would not be safe for me to carry multiples. When those did not work we deiced to move on to IVF, we did one egg relative and deiced to PGS test those embryos. One the first transfer did not work. We did a few more test to get a better time window for the next transfer and added acupuncture. Our second transfer also failed so for our third we did all the things with acupuncture, added other medicine and had a successfully transfer and welcomed our son January 2020
Mindy was amazing, she always answered my emails or question with in an day and was always so happy and positive. I really missed her when we switch to our main OBGYN practice.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Describe Mary Peavey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
We did a eSET because due to me having cervical cancer 8 years ago we all felt that it was not worth the risk to do more then one embryo at a time
Raleigh

Dr. Peavey takes her time with you. She explains everything thoroughly, often drawing diagrams and writing down key terms...[new patient advice] Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions--she doesn't mind, and she's also good about quickly responding to questions you submit via mychart...[she] explained the odds of pregnancy with each of the different methods
[UNC Fertility clinic]It is in a nice building. The staff is friendly. It takes a while to get an appointment, but I guess that goes with the territory...[nurses] They're very friendly and efficient...I think a weakness is the clinic's approach to financial counseling. The financial counselor makes it feel like just a transaction. The way the costs are laid out and discussed is overwhelming...
How was your experience with Mary Peavey at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Peavey takes her time with you. She explains everything thoroughly, often drawing diagrams and writing down key terms. Sometimes I wished she had given me more information. For example, when I asked if there was anything I could do to improve the number of eggs she could retrieve during IVF, she said there was nothing I could do. After our visit, I read It Starts With the Egg, and it sounds like there are plenty of things I could try--reducing the intensity of my exercise for a few months before retrieval, taking various vitamins, acupuncture, etc. I'm not sure why she didn't discuss these things, perhaps she doesn't agree with the advice given in that book (although the author cites a lot of scientific studies), or maybe she doesn't want to overwhelm people with information because it could increase stress, I'm not sure. But for me, I like to have as much information as possible, and it felt good to find something to act on--like taking vitamins or getting more sleep or switching my exercise routine from running intervals to low intensity walking--because so much feels outside my control right now. I wish she had acknowledged that some sources recommend these things, and explained what she thought, rather than saying there's nothing I can do.
Dr. Peavey is very nice. She takes her time with you and explains everything thoroughly, often drawing diagrams and writing key terms down for you as you talk. With this process, I think there's a built-in level of feeling like a number, and less like a human, and I'm not sure it's the doctor's fault. Dr. Peavey explained the odds of pregnancy with each of the different methods. I think the more dehumanizing part comes in with the financial counselors and fertility financing companies. In those conversations, starting a family feels like a commodity, with a very big price tag. It's hard to stomach. Dr. Peavey was not involved in those conversations, and of course she is not responsible for the state of our health insurance system or the expense of fertility treatments, but it's all part of the process that she is tasked with leading, as the doctor, and the expense looms in the background of our conversations, especially when weighing the odds of a successful outcome with the number of cycles I should invest in. I think Dr. Peavey deals with that reality as best she can--she is kind and works hard to give you all the information you need to make an informed decision.
I haven't gotten to this stage.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
They're very friendly and efficient.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
I have had a good experience so far. It is in a nice building. The staff is friendly. It takes a while to get an appointment, but I guess that goes with the territory--I feel like I've spent a lot of time waiting while trying to become pregnant. i haven't begun treatment (still waiting! :)), so I can't comment on that yet. I think a weakness is the clinic's approach to financial counseling. The financial counselor makes it feel like just a transaction. The way the costs are laid out and discussed is overwhelming. I came home and had to lie in bed the rest of the afternoon because it made me feel so bad. Of course, fertility treatments are expensive, and my health insurance doesn't cover it, so we needed to have this conversation. But, I wish they could come up with a more supportive way of sharing the information. It was a bit of a shock to the system at first. I think another weakness is they don't partner with an acupuncture clinic. Other clinics in the area allow an acupuncturist to give treatments before and after an embryo transfer, but UNC does not allow it. I started acupuncture a few months ago in hopes of improving my egg quality, and I've come to really enjoy it. I wish UNC allowed my acupuncturist to visit the clinic.
I haven't begun my treatment yet because it is so expensive, I have to save money for it. It will cost about $27,000 for three IVF cycles, plus the cost of medicine and the cost of genetic testing. I would like to bank embryos if possible, so I am estimating it will cost at least $50,000.
None
Raleigh
We candidly told Dr. Fritz that we wanted to pursue other options before turning to IVF. Although it went against statistics, he supported us trying Clomid for a number of cycles and offered the option of Invocell. I do feel as though he went out of his way to balance both statistics and medical knowledge with the understanding that we were not trying to compromise on our faith...He offered options that would allow us to feel comfortable with the number of embryos in storage after our first treatment, while carefully outlining the pros and cons.
I became very familiar with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility and was able to talk to someone relatively quickly throughout my treatment process - no matter the question. I utilized the patient portal and phone calls a lot...Some appointments felt slightly rushed...[clinic error]my IVF cycle had to be pushed back a few months as there was confusion between the clinic and my insurance company
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
When I first saw Dr. Fritz, I had come from a clinic that only wanted to pursue IVF. As Christians, my husband and I had some pretty big reservations about what that meant for us. We candidly told Dr. Fritz that we wanted to pursue other options before turning to IVF. Although it went against statistics, he supported us trying Clomid for a number of cycles and offered the option of Invocell. I do feel as though he went out of his way to balance both statistics and medical knowledge with the understanding that we were not trying to compromise on our faith. After a lot of prayer and an unfortunate loss, we went forward with IVF. He offered options that would allow us to feel comfortable with the number of embryos in storage after our first treatment, while carefully outlining the pros and cons.
Be honest and open. He shows little judgement. However, remember that he is seeing hundreds of patients and as much as he will try to review your records just before your appointment, you may find yourself having to advocate for yourself and reminding him of things that you've discussed in the past.
Wendy was extremely responsive to all of my questions. In my case, I went through a rare complication that I felt as though I had to strongly advocate for myself. I was told that I likely just had a bug, but it turned out to be extremely serious. I think it could have been handled slightly differently, but my frequency of questions probably caused my own symptoms to be taken less seriously. When I went through IVF, she was extremely helpful and patient.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic itself was very comfortable and felt like a home for quite some time - I probably visited there 30+ times. One thing that I didn't realize wasn't normal until I went to another practice was that the waiting room was always packed. Some appointments felt slightly rushed.
UNC as a practice has a very strict criteria that they follow to consider transferring any more than one embryo - age, history, etc. I was not offered the option to transfer any more than one.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
I am lucky enough to have fertility coverage through my insurance. But it was very clear that this is not something that their billing department typically deals with. As a result, my IVF cycle had to be pushed back a few months as there was confusion between the clinic and my insurance company. It was a bit frustrating, and I had to make tons of phone calls to try to get things lined up.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Steiner] was compassionate with us, but sometimes seemed like she was unfamiliar with our particular case and needed to be reminded... She was kind but we didn't have much contact with her apart from during consultations. All procedures were performed by technicians or other doctors and all communication was through her nurse. At times it seemed that she was unfamiliar with the details of our case and needed to be reminded.
Fast appointment scheduling, kind front desk staff [UNC Fertility]. Difficult to find out financial information and payment process was not clearly laid out before IUI treatment. We found that on the day of the insemination we were asked to pay $750 upfront.... All procedures were performed by technicians or other doctors and all communication was through her nurse. At times it seemed that she was unfamiliar with the details of our case and needed to be reminded.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Request that she explain all options at your meeting because she did not offer to speak on the phone or through mychart, she always requested that we come in for a consult, which for us cost a 60 dollar copay.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
She was compassionate with us, but sometimes seemed like she was unfamiliar with our particular case and needed to be reminded
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
We had 12 vials of frozen sperm from my husband because he is undergoing chemotherapy right now. We chose to use 3-6 vials for IUI and save the rest for possible IVF. We tried two IUI and both were unsuccessful. We are currently deciding whether to stay with Dr. Steiner or try a different clinic for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cathy G)
Fast communication, sometimes not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Fast appointment scheduling, kind front desk staff. Difficult to find out financial information and payment process was not clearly laid out before IUI treatment. We found that on the day of the insemination we were asked to pay $750 upfront.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
750 per IUI, IVF apparently 22,000.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Doctor didn't order some preliminary tests, including vit.D.
Anne Steiner
2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Mersereau] seems to deeply care about the patients and was always honest with me. I especially appreciated her illustrations that explained the process in complete detail. We haven’t been lucky as far as are results yet, but will continue on with her. She is very sympathetic when calling about a negative test which I appreciate too. ... She was always warm and explained everything.
Great clinic [UNC Fertility]! ... Helpful, always available on the portal, even outside of work hours! Love them [nurses]. ... Don’t only pay attention to stats because some clinics that are not private will accept harder cases. This includes top notch university ones. The only downside of UNC is the waiting room is very crowded. It is sad to see so many people going through this. At some point, they may need to expand the waiting room.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She seems to deeply care about the patients and was always honest with me. I especially appreciated her illustrations that explained the process in complete detail. We haven’t been lucky as far as are results yet, but will continue on with her. She is very sympathetic when calling about a negative test which I appreciate too.
Save the illustrations. You may want to refer back! She is always okay with patients asking questions, even ones that seem silly..
She was always warm and explained everything.
Gonal, menopur, aspirin, prednisone, crinone, estrogen patches
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Helpful, always available on the portal, even outside of work hours! Love them.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Great clinic! Don’t only pay attention to stats because some clinics that are not private will accept harder cases. This includes top notch university ones. The only downside of UNC is the waiting room is very crowded. It is sad to see so many people going through this. At some point, they may need to expand the waiting room.
Would be a lot if it weren’t for Attain!!!

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Young is amazing! He took his time, answered all of our questions, and thoroughly explained everything to us. He has been there every step of the way and didn’t make us feel inferior. So far I’ve had the best experience with him as my doctor.... He was very personable and informative. He called me to check on me instead of his nurses.... I used clomid and timed intercourse for 2 rounds. Then we used clomid and did and IUI
The only weakness I saw was the length of time I needed to wait for my first consult. But they [UNC Fertility] worked with my schedule and were actually able to get me in quicker than I thought.everyone is friendly and very helpful.... They [Nursing Staff] were well versed in what needed to be done for all appointments and provided great support.... Dr. Young is amazing! He took his time, answered all of our questions, and thoroughly explained everything to us.
How was your experience with Steven Young at UNC Fertility?
Come in ready to get down to the nitty gritty and no question is dumb.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
They were well versed in what needed to be done for all appointments and provided great support.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The only weakness I saw was the length of time I needed to wait for my first consult. But they worked with my schedule and were actually able to get me in quicker than I thought.everyone is friendly and very helpful.
Steven Young
Raleigh

While expensive he [Dr. Fritz] took time out. Encouraged us, and made sure we understood everything. He tried to put our mind at ease and seemed to really care. ... He was outgoing, knowledgeable very friendly and energetic. He took our opinions into consideration. It was more discussion than him just saying what we will do. I didn’t like that we didn’t see him for the iui’s
Strengths are location and facilities [UNC Fertility]. Weakness is office staff. They were late opening once. It’s hard to get people on the phone on weekends. The patient portal is wonderful and you get rapid responses using it. ... They were kind and compassionate. Seemed like they knew what they were doing. They were very friendly and encouraging.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz (retired) at UNC Fertility?
Be prepared for expensive treatment
While expensive he took time out. Encouraged us, and made sure we understood everything. He tried to put our mind at ease and seemed to really care.
He recommended in vitro or iui because of low sperm motility. We chose iui for cost. Wife took femara and clomid.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths are location and facilities. Weakness is office staff. They were late opening once. It’s hard to get people on the phone on weekends. The patient portal is wonderful and you get rapid responses using it.
Over $2000 foot consult and iui