Genetic counseling: Offered
Selling medication is not offered: Not Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
1700 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Alabama Birmingham to a friend?

Strengths: Quick to respond ... Clean Online portal was always updated ... Explained every visit/procedure thoroughly ... ... My opinion mattered ... Check in was easy Weakness: Appointment sometimes took a while Didn’t see the actual doctor much but I understand ... The nursing staff [UAB] was always amazing. They really made me feel like I mattered and answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Strengths: Quick to respond Explained every visit/procedure thoroughly Clean Online portal was always updated Check in was easy My opinion mattered Weakness: Appointment sometimes took a while Didn’t see the actual doctor much but I understand
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr Blackwell always answered my questions,even if there were tons and put my mind at ease. Even when I have questions at an appointment that wasn’t scheduled to see him; he always popped in and answered them. He gave me realistic expectations and was there every step of the way.
The nursing staff was always amazing. They really made me feel like I mattered and answered any questions I had.
How was your experience with Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham?
He was very responsive to any questions I had and set out a realistic time frame and expectations. The onlt thing that bothered me a little was not seeing him as often as I liked but he would pop in if I ever needed questions answered. I will say that he always made an effort to schedule as many things in one day as possible and get medications to me quickly since I travel 90 minutes one way so I appreciated that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Pray
Describe the protocols Richard (Dick) Blackwell used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
I started out with just taking letrozole I believe (after the initial bloodwork and consult of course) and measuring follicles around day 11-12. After no pregnancy; he quickly resorted to IUI so we continued with the follicle measuring,letrozole,and added Gonal-f. The first scan measured smaller follicles than he would have liked so the next month we added ovidrel. We continue this until i decided to take a break in October. It became a lot financially and emotionally. He will only do 3-4 IUIs before referring to IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Co-pays and some lab work that was covered
Describe Richard (Dick) Blackwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
None
Richard (Dick) Blackwell
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham.

Clinic [U of AL at Birmingham] is great. Parking is awful. Staff is wonderful. I hate the computer check-in system. I like to talk to someone upon arriving. Clinic is clean and well organized. The clinic usually runs in time, only having to wait longer then expected a few times. ... Each ultrasound is $150. Clomid ~$20 Trigger shot ~$100. IUI $300 ... The nursing staff was great. All seemed very caring and invested. A few occasions they were tired or less friendly, but that’s to be expected.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Clinic is great. Parking is awful. Staff is wonderful. I hate the computer check-in system. I like to talk to someone upon arriving. Clinic is clean and well organized. The clinic usually runs in time, only having to wait longer then expected a few times. Since I’ve gone so much I’ve learned to bring a book. Due to my cycle I had to receive treatment on a Sunday of a holiday weekend. The clinic was great to be open understanding the importance of timing these things.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr Gunn was very patient and caring. She gave me her personal cell phone number to call if I had emergency questions or problems. The doctor’s office uses an online portal (email) to communicate and Dr Gunn (or staff) is always responsive. I feel she cares very much for her patients. I appreciate her open and honest dialogue.
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I really like Dr Gunn, I feel she is passionate about what she does and truly in her field for all the right reasons. She is an advocate for LGBT reproduction - which I think is amazing. I’m not LGBT, but I like that she helps many people with fertility. Dr Gunn is caring and listens. I think she is very well trained and trustworthy. The only downside to Dr Gunn is that I feel like I never see her. I don’t feel like she is checking in on me without my prompting. As anyone who goes through infertility knows, this journey can be isolating and mentally taxing. I went through so low points and wanted Dr Gunn to reach out. I went through two clomid cycles with times intercourse and had to take a break because - then I started back with an IUI cycle. Those three cycles have taken my almost 8 months to complete and would really like a meeting/phone call/ follow-up after each cycle or two to access the results and discuss next steps. Knowing more about the process I know this isn’t really possibly at her level - but perhaps a care team staff member could reach out? It’s just hard and lonely and I wish I’d had a little more hand holding after each negative pregnancy test. I do really like Dr Gunn, this is my only negative assessment of her and the care team. I would recommend her and know my expectations have made me be a little more proactive in my health care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Ask lots of questions and don’t hesitate to reach out. It’s a lonely journey.
Describe the protocols Deidre Gunn used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
First meeting with Dr Gunn she suggested IUI w/ meds because of my age, 37, and we had been married 9 years and had tried 2 years to conceive naturally. I wasn’t ready to jump in to IUI, so I asked if we could start with clomid and times intercourse. She said absolutely and we did two rounds of timed intercourse with meds. I had to take time off between cycles due to cysts and mild depression caused by meds. After 2 failed cycles of meds and timed intercourse, I informed the staff I was ready to move to IUI, which is where we currently are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Consultation was covered under insurance. Each ultrasound is $150. Clomid ~$20 Trigger shot ~$100. IUI $300
Describe Deidre Gunn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham.

3 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
[UAB is] Very organized set up, sometimes a little bit longer wait, but honestly I never minded because when they are meeting with you they don't rush you in and out the door, and I know that's the way they are treating another patient and likely why there is a delay.... Our clinic feels very strongly about only transferring one embryo, unless there is a outlying reason to transfer 2. The way the pricing is set up, it is much more cost effective because you pay per transfer. So it is much easier to only put 1 when you can pay per time instead of only getting 3 transfers as a part of a package or something (where you may feel more pressed to transfer more to increase chances).
3 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Dr. Gunn and Dr. Von Hoffe always took the time to explain things and answer my questions. I never felt like they were trying to rush to the next appointment and I always left feeling like all of my questions were answered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Tabitha)
Once you start the IVF process, you will work with the IVF coordinator, which allows you one point person for all of your questions, concerns, scheduling, etc. She was quick to respond and always passed along questions to the doctor when they needed to be escalated.
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Gunn walked me through everything we were doing, why we were doing it, and the expectations/risks with each approach. I appreciate that she takes the time to meet with patients so often instead of a few times a year like some other practices. She is very involved which made me feel even more like she was making great decisions for us along the way.
She will explain things, but bring questions with you. She is so kind and happy to answer ALL of them. I never felt silly asking about things I didn't fully understand. She is a great communicator.
I started with Dr. Gunn after moving from another clinic. I explained I wanted to be more aggressive with treatments as I had previously done 5 nights of 5.0 mg of Letrozole and 150 of Follistim for 3 nights. I was only getting 1 mature egg each cycle and had been doing this combo for several months. She reviewed my charts and agreed we could try this approach to increase the doses. My doses were upped to 7.5 mg of Letrozole and 175 of Follistim. Unfortunately I responded too well and had 7-9 eggs mature that cycle and we had to cancel. We returned to the lower dose and tried it combined with an IUI. Negative pregnancy test. Did the same again and had 2 eggs mature that cycle, another IUI, but another negative pregnancy test. It was at this time that we discussed IVF. Our first attempt was cancelled before medications were started because my estrogen levels were too high. Our second attempt, my levels were high again but we tried to move forward and monitor closely. Dr. Gunn directly called me to talk through the changes she was making to our plan and how we would closely monitor everything. She did exactly that, but unfortunately not enough eggs matured to the right size, and she decided to cancel the retrieval. This decision was hard but instead of just taking our money and trying for the retrieval, she recognized it wouldn't be a very successful retrieval and would be better to cancel and start over later. We are currently in the wait to try our 3rd attempt.
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover any appointments so these were out of pocket expenses for me personally. However, they have never demanded that we pay the full balance and we have made small payments each month towards our bill. The IVF costs are pretty comparable to other clinics in the area, however, the way they have it set up takes a lot of stress off the process. You pay for retrieval costs, and can add in ICSI or Genetic Testing, then you pay per transfer. Another clinic I worked with packaged it all together and you only had 1, 2, or 3 chances and total costs reflected. So if you had a ton of embryos left, but had used up your number of transfers, you owed even more money. UAB approaches the retrieval process with the mindset that they hope you will only ever do 1 retrieval to build your entire family. Instead of retrieving each time you are ready to try for another child.

IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
The facility itself [U of Alabama] is clean and modern. The waiting room is comfortable. The parking is a challenge and how the bathrooms are in the hall by the elevator vs off of the waiting rooms is a little inconvenient. But I do like that you go to the same place for the retrieval’s and the transfers and blood work is all done in one spot.... we use a portal to email back and forth and sometimes that’s hard because one nurse will start the convo and another will pick up. So that can get confusing.
IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The facility itself is clean and modern. The waiting room is comfortable. The parking is a challenge and how the bathrooms are in the hall by the elevator vs off of the waiting rooms is a little inconvenient. But I do like that you go to the same place for the retrieval’s and the transfers and blood work is all done in one spot. Because it’s in Birmingham just always be prepared for traffic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I love Dr Bates. You can tell he does this because he loves to help. His team is great. They all remember me and are always available for any questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura, Tabitha, Kendall, Sonjola)
Love them! They care so much and are super helpful. I do wish their calendars were a bit different for my use/preference. Also, we use a portal to email back and forth and sometimes that’s hard because one nurse will start the convo and another will pick up. So that can get confusing.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
While he may not be a hugger. You can tell he cares in his own way. He’s good at explaining every step of the procedures. He takes time during every visit and never made me feel rushed. He’s realistic with his expectations and doesn’t set false hopes. I know when he had to call to tell me the first transfer was unsuccessful he was upset about it too. He is a kind man who is also working at a teaching hospital so he’s sharing his knowledge with future doctors.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Don’t expect him to be all warm and fuzzy. More of a factual this is how it goes sort of guy. Be prepared with questions too and he will answer every one of them and not make you feel silly for asking.
Describe the protocols Wright Bates used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
I used microdose lupron. Menopur and gonal f. We used icsi on both retrieval’s. And did a fresh transfer which was unsuccessful with two 5 day embryos. Our second retrieval was a freeze all and we did pgs testing. We then did a frozen transfer of the only genetically good embryo and that’s my 7 month old daughter!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham.
There were costs for the retrieval’s. The transfers. The isci and the pgs testing. The cost of meds and pgs testing were not through Bates/UAB but part of the whole experience. It was about $18,000 per round
Describe Wright Bates's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
I believe he prefers to transfer 1 embryo. We did two the first time because of our urging. We wanted twins.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham.

2012 - 2018
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The only downside of the clinic [UAB] is that its very hospital like... well because its at a hospital. Haha. The parking is also limited but im not big on parking in the deck across the street. The parking fee is rather expensive and adds up quickly with all the visits.... [The nurse was] Excellent. Great communication through patient portal. Attentive to needs and questions.
2012 - 2018
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The only downside of the clinic is that its very hospital like... well because its at a hospital. Haha. The parking is also limited but im not big on parking in the deck across the street. The parking fee is rather expensive and adds up quickly with all the visits.
I only see Dr Bates during the big dates, the fellows handle most all the busy work with Dr Bates making all the decision. All Doc and Staff are very sweet and caring.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr Bates is an extremely knowledgable doctor. He is also a professor at UAB and has been treating infertility for 25 years. He really knows what he is doing and isnt in the business of risking mom and baby by risking multiples. I fully trust his expertise.
Do some research and come prepared with questions. Dr Bates is a very busy man so utilize your time with him wisely. The fellows are very knowledgeable as well.
Letrozole CD 3-7 HCG trigger as directed after US IUI 24 hours later Repeat Above IVF Menopur Follistem Antagonist as directed HCG trigger as directed Retieval 36 hours later Tranfer Estrace 2mgx2 for 7 days + Baby Asp Estrace 2mgx3 for 9 days + Baby Asp Same as above add Progesterone 1ml for 1 day. Same as above add Medrol 16 mg for 5 days. Doxy with dinner and breakfast before transfer. After Transfer Progesterone 1ml, Estrace 2mgx3 and Baby Asp daily as directed
It varied depending on Insurance coverage but complete IVF cycle is roughly 18,000us
ESET is what they prefer unless unsuccessful on previous transfers.
Birmingham

I loved being at UAB. The first year fellow at the time did a lot of my ultrasounds and was there at all my big appointments. I felt like I was so well-taken care of and loved the evidence-based treatment style. ... The ultrasound monitoring started at 7:15am. ... Gave very detailed calendars of medications. Was very easy to communicate with- emails were ALWAYS answered within an hour or two.
European, Other
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
She was so kind and caring; called me on the weekend a few times; gave me a work 'personal cell phone number' to be able to reach her at if needed; was able to text her too. I only texted her once, but it was great to know I could contact her.
Gave very detailed calendars of medications. Was very easy to communicate with- emails were ALWAYS answered within an hour or two. Friendly, kind, and compassionate. The BEST nurses!!!
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Gunn was very calm and easy going. Just very even all the time. I felt like she was very competent and explained things well. My husband and I are both doctors, so we were very impressed with her care. She did things based off of evidence-based learning, which I loved.
You are in good hands.
1. Three rounds of Clomid with trigger shots. 2. Two IUI's. (It was suggested we do three, but we were ready to move to IVF) 3. 1 egg retrieval cycle and 1 transfer resulting in our 24 week old in utero son!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The ultrasound monitoring started at 7:15am. I would always take these early appointments because I worked. I even went in on a Sunday for an ultrasound and did an IUI on a Saturday. They were very accommodating.
IUI- $290 each Stimulation and Egg Retrieval- $11,130 Embryo Transfer- $1390 Genetic Counyl Screening Bloodwork- $700 PGS testing of the embryos- $1600 for six embryos Medications- $4200 total
My doctor recommended a single embryo transfer. Due to my age (31) and the quality of our embryos (very good), she would not transfer more than one embryo. She told us the goal of treatment was a single, healthy pregnancy which is better for mom and baby.
Anovulation, Other
The nurses have been warm, kind, and helpful in person. But communicating via phone or Portal is hit or miss. They almost never answer the phones and have overlooked a couple of my questions in Portal messaging. Mostly communication via Portal is fine, though.... Because UAB is a university hospital, it seems that the doctors there can keep checks and balances on one another and maintain the highest standards of evidence-based care.
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Because UAB is a university hospital, it seems that the doctors there can keep checks and balances on one another and maintain the highest standards of evidence-based care. I notice a huge positive difference in this aspect when we switched from our old fertility specialist.
She provides personal, evidence-based care. However there have been a couple of miscommunication issues or things overlooked, possibly due to the large number of patients.
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
She is thoughtful, caring, and professional. She does a wonderful job explaining statistics, odds of success, and preparing us for outcomes. I would love if we could see her at every visit and procedure, but there have been a few ultrasounds and one IUI where we were seen by other doctors.
Get "Portal" on your cell phone ASAP because you'll never be able to get through to a nurse just by trying a phone call.
Letrozole was used in our first IUI cycle rather than Clomid because of its success in PCOS patients. I do not have PCOS but have many of its symptoms. I was also prescribed a trigger shot with ultrasound monitoring. This combo resulted in a pregnancy, the first in five years of trying. Unfortunately it ended in miscarriage. Dr. Gunn has since discovered polyps in my uterus and done a polypectomy to remove them. We had one IUI after the miscarriage and before the discovery of the polyps, but it was not successful.
So far we have done 2 IUI cycles at $295 each, and each also had a trigger shot of $100. We also paid $100 for polypectomy. We have paid maybe $200 in other fees like co-pays, parking, and small account balances.
Birmingham
The nurse [at University of Alabama] was always very kid and understanding. She always returned my calls or emails promptly and sent out all prescriptions on time...Their team is truly amazing and I say team because that is what they are. The few times I had to see a different doctor they were always up to speed with my treatment plan and our family's obstacles. It was very comforting to know everyone cared from receptionists, lab analysts, doctors and nurses.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is extremely compassionate. She is always willing to listen and answer any question I had. She was very understanding of our circumstances (travel distance, money, etc) and always worked with us. She always heard us out and let us be involved in our treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The nurse was always very kid and understanding. She always returned my calls or emails promptly and sent out all prescriptions on time.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate. By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced. She truly care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
The best way to communicate is through the patient portal. She will always answer within a few hours or the following day.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
My husband and I are considered unexplained infertility. We started treatments with clomid and timed intercourse. Which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. From there we moved onto clomid with IUIs (3). All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Finally we tried injections with timed intercourse through ultrasound monitoring. This proved to be unsuccessful also. In June 2017, we will complete our first IVF cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Up until this point we have paid our regular co-pays ($12 each), medication costs, and IUI costs ($300 each). This summer will will have to pay for a full cycle of IVF with medications out of pocket ($17,000 roughly).
Janet Bouknight

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The biggest difficulty is parking downtown. Otherwise the clinic [University of Alabama Birmingham] is very nice and the clink staff/ most of the nurses were very kind and helpful.... I just had difficulty with one nurse not showing much compassion. Especially when we missed ovulation on a medicated cycle intended to be an IUI cycle.... we have considered looking at other clinics. I appreciate the relationship I have built with my doctor however and would still recommend to a friend.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The biggest difficulty is parking downtown. Otherwise the clinic is very nice and the clink staff/ most of the nurses were very kind and helpful. We didn't have an option based on our insurance provider of picking another clinic, so at times I did feel stuck. However once we figured out that insurance wouldn't cover any treatments unless they were billed under endometriosis treatment not fertility treatment we have considered looking at other clinics. I appreciate the relationship I have built with my doctor however and would still recommend to a friend. We might get a second opinion before moving forward.
I was under the care of a fellow, Diedre Gunn, practicing under Dr. Bates. Both doctors were always very thorough, honest, kind and available to questions through every surgery, test, diagnosis and procedure.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Diedre Gunn and Dr. Bates both had very kind and open bedside manners. I worked with Dr. Bates less in person, but he was present for surgical procedure as Dr. Gunn was at that time completing her REI fellowship.
We did a laparoscopy with removal of endometriosis, tested for tubal blockage, and removed several uterine polyps. I took Letrozale for a couple of cycles with timed intercourse then we moved on to IUIs with Letrozale then IUI with Letrozale and trigger shot. Due to MFI we were given the option to try 2 more IUIs or move on to IVF

1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
This team [at University of Alabama Birmingham] is really great! The doctors seem to be up to date with all the treatment options. They also have a really good lab and Embriologyst ( Dr. Edmonds)...[Nurse] Laura was always very kind and understanding. She is very organized, always responded my messages within the same day, sended out prescriptions in time....I had one unsuccessful IUI with Dr McLean and two Ivf's. Since I have diminished ovarian reserve I don't have many eggs. However I responded quite well to Dr McLeans protocol ( antagonist, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) They were able to freeze 4 embryos and they all came back pgs normal. I am currently waiting for my first transfer.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
This team is really great! The doctors seem to be up to date with all the tratment options. They also habe a really good lab and Embriologyst ( Dr. Edmonds)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr McLean was always very understanding and supportive. She always listens, is open to try new things and gets in touch with you immediately if you have any questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr McLean is very compassionate. She really cares about her patients and is always willing to listen. I felt like she lets me have an active role in the treatment. She is always open to hear about the research I have made on my own and tries to adjust protocols including my thoughts. She always answers all the e-mails I write to the UAB portal within the same day.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
You can totally trust this doctor. The best way to communicate with her is via the patient portal.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
Mamie McLean
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
most of the time short wait time [at U of AL], excellent hours available before work hours (before 8am), easy to work with and accommodating. Clean and nice clinic too...Was not informed on a certain day during the IVF cycle how many embryos survived. We were anxiously awaiting this info and had to call and leave 3 messages before the fellow responded...Worked with [nurse] Laura most of the time. She gets things done on time (calls prescriptions, etc) but sometimes seems like she's got too much going on. Doesn't always call back same day. The portal seems to be the best way to communicate with anyone there on the team.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
most of the time short wait time, excellent hours available before work hours (before 8am), easy to work with and accommodating. Clean and nice clinic too.
At times I felt like I got lost in the shuffle. I would say definitely be an advocate for yourself and stay on top of your treatment schedule.
Worked with Laura most of the time. She gets things done on time (calls prescriptions, etc) but sometimes seems like she's got too much going on. Doesn't always call back same day. The portal seems to be the best way to communicate with anyone there on the team.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Strengths- sweet person, genuinely wants what's best for you, will do everything she can to get you pregnant, excellent listener weaknesses- sometimes is hard to read, isn't the "warmest" at first but will open up more the more you work with her, doesn't always call with results or get back to you when she says she will (very frustrating especially during a IVF cycle)
Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done. If you don't feel like you can do that, I'd find another clinic.
monitoring appointments were super quick and easy to schedule. definitely a plus!
I want to say IVF was around 12-15K for all the meds and retrieval cycle w/ ICSI, IUIs were a couple hundred $, and frozen transfers were around 2500 + medication.
Janet Bouknight
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.

I could not have had a better experience with Dr. McLean [at Univ of Al at Birmingham]. I think what made it so great was communication. I could send her a question through the portal and get an immediate answer. In person, she never made me feel rushed. Her answers to my questions were always honest and we'll thought out.... [The nurse] always communicated quickly and answered all my questions.
At our first consultation, Dr. McLean spent an hour with us answering our questions. She made us feel at ease. During the process, the time she spent with me and the way she listened often made me feel like I was her only patient.
Always communicated quickly and answered all my questions.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I could not have had a better experience with Dr. McLean. I think what made it so great was communication. I could send her a question through the portal and get an immediate answer. In person, she never made me feel rushed. Her answers to my questions were always honest and we'll thought out.
Definitely use her!
We used ICSI because of male factor infertility and the fact the sperm had to be retrieved. Although it was male factor, I got thoroughly checked out too. I think I ended up being on a low dose of meds. We had ~20 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized and 3 embryos made it. 1 successfully transferred and 2 frozen. She said we had a low number of embryos from 20 eggs because of male factor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham.
I fortunately had insurance that covered but without it would have been about 10k.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
She gave us the option but was honest that in our case eSet was probably the best choice.
Mamie McLean

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. [Wright] Bates as well as Dr. Bouknight and Dr. McLean [at University of Alabama Birmingham] were very compassionate. They all were always on the same page with each other and you could tell they each knew our case. They work as a team to make the best decisions for us. Very personable and relatable. Dr. Bates and Dr. Bouknight both openly share their infertility struggles and can relate....Birth control, Lupron, 125 Gonal F, 75 Menopur, HCG trigger, aspirin, prometrium progesterone, Valium day of transfer.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Nothing. New nice clinic. Very short waits normally.
Dr. Bates and his staff remembered conversations from previous appointments and knew all details of our history.
Laura is amazing!!! She has such a heart for couples with infertility. She has experience with it herself and this helps her relate. She returns calls within a very short period of time. The key to a good IVF experience is the nurse and with Laura you will not be disappointed!!!!
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bates as well as Dr. Bouknight and Dr. McLean were very compassionate. They all were always on the same page with each other and you could tell they each knew our case. They work as a team to make the best decisions for us. Very personable and relatable. Dr. Bates and Dr. Bouknight both openly share their infertility struggles and can relate.
Go see them!!! Ask a lot of questions because they will all answer them. Tell them your fears/concerns. They are there to help you and want to get to know you so let them.
IVF without insurance plus meds, ICSI, and freezing was about $18k
Birmingham

The initial consult was a long wait but every other appointment was a quick wait. They [U of AL Birmingham] were easy to get appointments with and easy to communicate with 24/ 7. ... The IVF coordinator was very friendly but sometimes seems less organized than I would have preferred. Ultimately she had everything under control and I learned to trust her. ... Everyone knew who I was and spent time explaining things and answering my questions.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
They practice according to the latest research and with the most up to date technology. The initial consult was a long wait but every other appointment was a quick wait. They were easy to get appointments with and easy to communicate with 24/ 7.
Overall everyone was great and easy to communicate with. The IVF coordinator was very friendly but sometimes seems less organized than I would have preferred. Ultimately she had everything under control and I learned to trust her.
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
She is very understanding and compassionate but is able to give realistic expectations. She takes all of your concerns into consideration and develops a personalized course of treatment for you. I did not see her every visit but sometime saw fellows or nurse practitioners but if I ever needed to speak with her directly she was always available.
We spend around 20,000 for testing, 3 IUIs with clomid and 1 rounds of IVF.
She used an algorithm based on my age and health but most of the time recommends 1 embryo for most of her patients. Pros and cons were discussed with me and she would have honored my wish if I chose to transfer 2.
Birmingham
She [nurse at Univerisity of Alabama] was quick to respond and responded with answers to your questions. She was well informed...No one called with my PGS results after my first transfer...I would have preferred to have my progesterone and estrogen tested with each beta as I miscarried early and I wonder if those levels were off and if that is what caused it
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
He was kind when I saw him
She was quick to respond and responded with answers to your questions. She was well informed
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
He was very knowledgeable. I didn't see him very often unless it was something big like retrieval or transfer but his fellow doctors were kind and caring. He was knowledgeable and provided information when requested
Come with a lot of questions and a pad and a piece of paper to take notes
I was on gonal-f and another med for my egg retrieval. I was on a lower dose then my friends. I ended up with the same amount of eggs both retrievals.
Testing, procedure cost
Because of the quality of my embryos, the doctor suggested that I transfer one. We wanted to transfer 2 embryos

3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
They are a great group of doctors and nurses who really do care and want to listen to all your questions and concerns. They always call back the day you leave voicemail and send a private message through UAB portal. We adopted after failed IVF and they were so excited -- sent us a handwritten note from all doctors. Dr. Bates' team has the best results in AL
Want to go over everything with you specifically - how to give medicine / injections. Any questions - any concerns.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I haven't had a baby yet but I know he isn't a miracle worker -- what he does is listen -- try every avenue and tell you about the latest and newest possibilities.
Become friendly with nurses and IVF coordinator -- they will help you with scheduling