Acupuncture is not offered
Acupuncture is not offered

1700 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233

Treated 2019 - 2020
When I communicated directly with Dr. Gunn either in person or on the phone she was extremely kind, compassionate, and she listened to all my concerns and took that into consideration for determining my course of treatment...since I was not an IVF patient I do feel as this limited my direct contact with her. She was able to quickly review and accurately assess my problem and form a plan after I had spent months another physician. She explained things very well in a way I could understand...She gives out her personal cell phone number and I texted her a few times with questions and she always responded. I often had to correspond with her fellows or nurse practitioner. Nurse practitioner was fine and kind, but the fellows at times were difficult to deal with. I feel as if the fellows missed a few things along the way (ex. calling in medicine and making sure we had sufficient quantity of injections on hand) and didn't fully explain to me what the plan was. Sometimes I felt that I had to blindly trust their judgement.
I often had to correspond with her fellows or nurse practitioner [at University of Alabama]. Nurse practitioner was fine and kind, but the fellows at times were difficult to deal with. I feel as if the fellows missed a few things along the way (ex. calling in medicine and making sure we had sufficient quantity of injections on hand) and didn't fully explain to me what the plan was. Sometimes I felt that I had to blindly trust their judgement...The portal is how patients communicate with nurses...Ultrasounds start early in the day so I tried to get the earliest appointment time they had and was able to get my imaging and labs done and get to work by 8am at a different hospital. Then the team would review the results and portal me the plan in the afternoon. Parking is difficult so make sure you allow an extra ~20 minutes for that. Ultrasound techs were great and ultrasounds went smoothly as long as a fellow wasn't doing my ultrasound.
How was your experience with Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Gunn was fantastic when we had one on time, but since I was not an IVF patient I do feel as this limited my direct contact with her. She was able to quickly review and accurately assess my problem and form a plan after I had spent months another physician. She explained things very well in a way I could understand.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Do not expect to meet directly with Dr. Gunn often especially if you are not an IVF patient. Dr. Gunn is fantastic when you work directly with her. She gives out her personal cell phone number and I texted her a few times with questions and she always responded. I often had to correspond with her fellows or nurse practitioner. Nurse practitioner was fine and kind, but the fellows at times were difficult to deal with. I feel as if the fellows missed a few things along the way (ex. calling in medicine and making sure we had sufficient quantity of injections on hand) and didn't fully explain to me what the plan was. Sometimes I felt that I had to blindly trust their judgement.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Describe the protocols Deidre Downs Gunn used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
MENOPUR INJECTIONS
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The portal is how patients communicate with nurses. My favorite nurse left right after Christmas. She was awesome and had excellent communication skills in her portal messages and happily answered all my questions. After she left the other nurses answered my questions, but they were not as clear as the first nurse.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Insurance covered everything. I only paid copays. Dr. Gunn was very upfront about costs and made sure to take financial information into consideration for treatment options.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham.
I was on the gonadotropin protocol. I did a total of 3 trigger shots and with the 3rd trigger shot I was told by the fellow that we would start progesterone 72 hours later. I questioned this and asked why we didn't do this with the prior two trigger shots (both under the gonadotrophin protocol). The fellow did not have a good explanation. I texted Dr. Gunn to confirm that starting progesterone was appropriate and she said it was and she had her nurse portal me a copy of the gonadotrophin protocol which no one had given to me or mentioned before.
Deidre Downs Gunn
Treated 2017 - 2018
She [Dr. Gunn] is thoughtful, caring, and professional. She does a wonderful job explaining statistics, odds of success, and preparing us for outcomes. I would love if we could see her at every visit and procedure, but there have been a few ultrasounds and one IUI where we were seen by other doctors.... Letrozole was used in our first IUI cycle rather than Clomid because of its success in PCOS patients. I do not have PCOS but have many of its symptoms. I was also prescribed a trigger shot with ultrasound monitoring.
The nurses have been warm, kind, and helpful in person. But communicating via phone or Portal is hit or miss. They almost never answer the phones and have overlooked a couple of my questions in Portal messaging. Mostly communication via Portal is fine, though.... Because UAB is a university hospital, it seems that the doctors there can keep checks and balances on one another and maintain the highest standards of evidence-based care.
She is thoughtful, caring, and professional. She does a wonderful job explaining statistics, odds of success, and preparing us for outcomes. I would love if we could see her at every visit and procedure, but there have been a few ultrasounds and one IUI where we were seen by other doctors.
Get "Portal" on your cell phone ASAP because you'll never be able to get through to a nurse just by trying a phone call.
She provides personal, evidence-based care. However there have been a couple of miscommunication issues or things overlooked, possibly due to the large number of patients.
Letrozole was used in our first IUI cycle rather than Clomid because of its success in PCOS patients. I do not have PCOS but have many of its symptoms. I was also prescribed a trigger shot with ultrasound monitoring. This combo resulted in a pregnancy, the first in five years of trying. Unfortunately it ended in miscarriage. Dr. Gunn has since discovered polyps in my uterus and done a polypectomy to remove them. We had one IUI after the miscarriage and before the discovery of the polyps, but it was not successful.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Because UAB is a university hospital, it seems that the doctors there can keep checks and balances on one another and maintain the highest standards of evidence-based care. I notice a huge positive difference in this aspect when we switched from our old fertility specialist.
So far we have done 2 IUI cycles at $295 each, and each also had a trigger shot of $100. We also paid $100 for polypectomy. We have paid maybe $200 in other fees like co-pays, parking, and small account balances.
Describe Deidre Downs Gunn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
During our first IUI there, an employee lost nearly all of my husband's semen sample. My husband repeated collection, but the final count was still not great. We got pregnant that cycle anyway. It ended in loss weeks later. I had issues early on with trying to get a full thyroid panel run because the nurse messaging me kept overlooking my questions. I also had a prescription called in incorrectly by a fellow doctor, for only half the dose it should have been.
Deidre Downs Gunn
Treated 2015
I was under the care of a fellow, Diedre Gunn, practicing under Dr. Bates. Both doctors were always very thorough, honest, kind and available to questions through every surgery, test, diagnosis and procedure.... I worked with Dr. Bates less in person, but he was present for surgical procedure as Dr. Gunn was at that time completing her REI fellowship.... We did a laparoscopy with removal of endometriosis, tested for tubal blockage, and removed several uterine polyps.
The biggest difficulty is parking downtown. Otherwise the clinic [University of Alabama Birmingham] is very nice and the clink staff/ most of the nurses were very kind and helpful.... I just had difficulty with one nurse not showing much compassion. Especially when we missed ovulation on a medicated cycle intended to be an IUI cycle.... we have considered looking at other clinics. I appreciate the relationship I have built with my doctor however and would still recommend to a friend.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Diedre Gunn and Dr. Bates both had very kind and open bedside manners. I worked with Dr. Bates less in person, but he was present for surgical procedure as Dr. Gunn was at that time completing her REI fellowship.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Describe the protocols Wright Bates used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
We did a laparoscopy with removal of endometriosis, tested for tubal blockage, and removed several uterine polyps. I took Letrozale for a couple of cycles with timed intercourse then we moved on to IUIs with Letrozale then IUI with Letrozale and trigger shot. Due to MFI we were given the option to try 2 more IUIs or move on to IVF
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The biggest difficulty is parking downtown. Otherwise the clinic is very nice and the clink staff/ most of the nurses were very kind and helpful. We didn't have an option based on our insurance provider of picking another clinic, so at times I did feel stuck. However once we figured out that insurance wouldn't cover any treatments unless they were billed under endometriosis treatment not fertility treatment we have considered looking at other clinics. I appreciate the relationship I have built with my doctor however and would still recommend to a friend. We might get a second opinion before moving forward.
Wright Bates
Treated 2017
He [Dr. Bates] was very knowledgeable. I didn't see him very often unless it was something big like retrieval or transfer but his fellow doctors were kind and caring...I was on gonal-f and another med for my egg retrieval. I was on a lower dose then my friends. I ended up with the same amount of eggs both retrievals...I would have preferred to have my progesterone and estrogen tested with each beta as I miscarried early and I wonder if those levels were off and if that is what caused it
She [nurse at Univerisity of Alabama] was quick to respond and responded with answers to your questions. She was well informed...No one called with my PGS results after my first transfer...I would have preferred to have my progesterone and estrogen tested with each beta as I miscarried early and I wonder if those levels were off and if that is what caused it
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
He was very knowledgeable. I didn't see him very often unless it was something big like retrieval or transfer but his fellow doctors were kind and caring. He was knowledgeable and provided information when requested
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Come with a lot of questions and a pad and a piece of paper to take notes
He was kind when I saw him
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
She was quick to respond and responded with answers to your questions. She was well informed
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Testing, procedure cost
Describe Wright Bates's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Because of the quality of my embryos, the doctor suggested that I transfer one. We wanted to transfer 2 embryos
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
No one called with my PGS results after my first transfer
Wright Bates