Acupuncture is not offered
Acupuncture is not offered

1700 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233

Dr Gunn leaves no detail unexplained. She is very thorough in giving all the facts and options for treatments. The information was overwhelming at times, but I always left with follow up literature. She is very reassuring and positive...She is good about starting with less expensive treatments first...has strong preference to single embryo transfer
The UAB clinic is in the Women and Infant Center. It shares a waiting room with OBGYN practice which could be mentally challenging to see pregnant women or women sharing happy ultrasounds with parents when you were coming in for infertility treatments. The clinic was initially tough to get an appointment with...I felt like initially I didn’t get clear answers on IUI...Once I started IVF things worked much more smoothly
How was your experience with Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr Gunn leaves no detail unexplained. She is very thorough in giving all the facts and options for treatments. The information was overwhelming at times, but I always left with follow up literature. She is very reassuring and positive. I am in the middle of IVF treatments with her now and will potentially need to have fibroid removal surgery. She’s encouraged me to get additional consultation for the surgery to make sure we are making the right decisions on care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Be prepared to take notes! She goes over a lot of info in your consultations. If you’re ready financially and mentally for IVF speak up. She is good about starting with less expensive treatments first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr Gunn spent considerable time with us going over treatment options and potential surgery for my fibroid. Her staff is fantastic and made me feel like a friend and not just a patient.
Describe the protocols Deidre Downs Gunn used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
Initially we were prepping for an IUI cycle with clomid and Pregnyl trigger. I opted to cancel IUI after the large uterine fibroid was found in their routine transvaginal ultrasound done in my first appointment. We didn’t want to risk getting pregnant and having complications. Instead we opted for IVF with a frozen transfer. On Dr Gunn’s advice we wanted to have embryos ready on the off chance that my surgery went awry and an overy had to be removed. For my IVF cycle I was on Lupron- 20 units, Menopur-75, and Gonal-F 225. Gonal was adjusted up to 300 for two days and then back down. I was frustrated that I refilled meds and then was taken off everything because of risks of OHSS. I now have $1,000 of meds just sitting around.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Tabitha)
Tabitha answered every random question I had and never made me feel silly for asking. She was extremely responsive on the portal (usually within the hour). She made me feel like a friend more than a patient and put me at ease throughout the process.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The UAB clinic is in the Women and Infant Center. It shares a waiting room with OBGYN practice which could be mentally challenging to see pregnant women or women sharing happy ultrasounds with parents when you were coming in for infertility treatments. The clinic was initially tough to get an appointment with. I realized I called too close to lunch the first time. I got in on a fluke cancellation, otherwise there was an 8 month waitlist. I felt like initially I didn’t get clear answers on IUI. I was given a lot of information in my first visit and told to call on a certain day of my cycle to set up an appointment. When I called and couldn’t remember exactly everything to book, they had me wait/call around before being able to book. I feel like there should have been patient notes to make it clear why I was calling and what to book me for. Once I started IVF things worked much more smoothly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deidre Downs Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham.
$10,500 for IVF Monitoring ultrasounds were separate. My insurance did not cover so they were $200 a visit. Medications total have been about $5,000
Describe Deidre Downs Gunn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
She has strong preference to single embryo transfer
2018 - 2020, Successful
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
They [nurses at University of Alabama] would come and visit me on the floor above their office when I was receiving chemotherapy treatments and they would come and visit me when I ended up in the hospital for whatever reason. Everyone is very responsive when I have questions or concerns about my treatment and no matter what the issue is, they are non-judgmental and I feel comfortable sharing anything with them...Their surgical suite is pretty awesome and a great perk of working with Dr. Gunn. The wait times are not long at all, which is great. The only problem with the office is parking, due to the fact that it is in the Women and Infant's wing of the hospital and so you might have to walk a bit from where you parked.
As stated previously:As a young woman who had just been diagnosed with breast cancer my whole was upside down and spinning. From the moment I stepped into Dr. Gunn's office she was the grounding force that I needed to calm the storm. I had been presented with the option to be a part of a clinical trial, or take Lupron throughout my chemotherapy treatment to try and preserve my ovaries. Dr. Gunn called me one evening and stayed on the phone with me for over and hour talking me through all the details of both the clinical trial presented by my oncologist and the risks/benefits of Lupron. She didn't tell me what she thought was best, she asked what felt best for me and my life. Knowing that I was a sexual assault survivor, she was always very transparent with me about what was going to happen and how it was going to happen. The day before my egg retrieval she brought me into the office and walked me through the procedure, making sure I was comfortable with what was about to happen. She listened to my concerns every step of the way and allowed me to make data driven decisions. When I went into my egg retrieval she held my hand until I fell asleep. Dr. Gunn is the most incredible, trauma informed doctor that I have ever seen. Dr. Miss America continues to be my biggest cheerleader in my fight against cancer and I wouldn't be here today without her. Knowing that my father and my brother had passed away, she understood that it was important for me to be able to have biological children. It is only because she pushed my cancer treatment team that I was allowed to have the option to do that. She advocated for me when I needed it and I couldn't thank her more.
Forget that she was Miss America - she's so much more than that. She's an incredible physician.
As a young woman who had just been diagnosed with breast cancer my whole was upside down and spinning. From the moment I stepped into Dr. Gunn's office she was the grounding force that I needed to calm the storm. I had been presented with the option to be a part of a clinical trial, or take Lupron throughout my chemotherapy treatment to try and preserve my ovaries. Dr. Gunn called me one evening and stayed on the phone with me for over and hour talking me through all the details of both the clinical trial presented by my oncologist and the risks/benefits of Lupron. She didn't tell me what she thought was best, she asked what felt best for me and my life. The day before my egg retrieval she brought me into the office and walked me through the procedure, making sure I was comfortable with what was about to happen. She listened to my concerns every step of the way and allowed me to make data driven decisions. When I went into my egg retrieval she held my hand until I fell asleep. Dr. Gunn is the most incredible, trauma informed doctor that I have ever seen.
As I was in the midst of trying to rush an egg retrieval cycle before I started chemotherapy, I honestly cannot remember what protocol I was given. I do know that is produced wonderful results and that 22 eggs were retrieved from one cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Tabitha Vigee)
All of the fellows, residents, and nurses that work in Dr. Gunn's office were and are incredible people. Everyone remembers my name and small details about my life that I would not expect them to remember. They are genuinely invested in my life and I consider every single one of them part of my circle of support. They would come and visit me on the floor above their office when I was receiving chemotherapy treatments and they would come and visit me when I ended up in the hospital for whatever reason. Everyone is very responsive when I have questions or concerns about my treatment and no matter what the issue is, they are non-judgmental and I feel comfortable sharing anything with them.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
A large part of my treatment costs were covered by the LiveStrong Fertility Preservation Foundation. So this isn't really applicable to me.
Birmingham

Dr. Gunn walked me through everything we were doing, why we were doing it, and the expectations/risks with each approach. I appreciate that she takes the time to meet with patients so often instead of a few times a year like some other practices. She is very involved which made me feel even more like she was making great decisions for us along the way.... Dr. Gunn directly called me to talk through the changes she was making to our plan and how we would closely monitor everything.
[UAB is] Very organized set up, sometimes a little bit longer wait, but honestly I never minded because when they are meeting with you they don't rush you in and out the door, and I know that's the way they are treating another patient and likely why there is a delay.... Our clinic feels very strongly about only transferring one embryo, unless there is a outlying reason to transfer 2. The way the pricing is set up, it is much more cost effective because you pay per transfer. So it is much easier to only put 1 when you can pay per time instead of only getting 3 transfers as a part of a package or something (where you may feel more pressed to transfer more to increase chances).
She will explain things, but bring questions with you. She is so kind and happy to answer ALL of them. I never felt silly asking about things I didn't fully understand. She is a great communicator.
Dr. Gunn and Dr. Von Hoffe always took the time to explain things and answer my questions. I never felt like they were trying to rush to the next appointment and I always left feeling like all of my questions were answered.
I started with Dr. Gunn after moving from another clinic. I explained I wanted to be more aggressive with treatments as I had previously done 5 nights of 5.0 mg of Letrozole and 150 of Follistim for 3 nights. I was only getting 1 mature egg each cycle and had been doing this combo for several months. She reviewed my charts and agreed we could try this approach to increase the doses. My doses were upped to 7.5 mg of Letrozole and 175 of Follistim. Unfortunately I responded too well and had 7-9 eggs mature that cycle and we had to cancel. We returned to the lower dose and tried it combined with an IUI. Negative pregnancy test. Did the same again and had 2 eggs mature that cycle, another IUI, but another negative pregnancy test. It was at this time that we discussed IVF. Our first attempt was cancelled before medications were started because my estrogen levels were too high. Our second attempt, my levels were high again but we tried to move forward and monitor closely. Dr. Gunn directly called me to talk through the changes she was making to our plan and how we would closely monitor everything. She did exactly that, but unfortunately not enough eggs matured to the right size, and she decided to cancel the retrieval. This decision was hard but instead of just taking our money and trying for the retrieval, she recognized it wouldn't be a very successful retrieval and would be better to cancel and start over later. We are currently in the wait to try our 3rd attempt.
Once you start the IVF process, you will work with the IVF coordinator, which allows you one point person for all of your questions, concerns, scheduling, etc. She was quick to respond and always passed along questions to the doctor when they needed to be escalated.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover any appointments so these were out of pocket expenses for me personally. However, they have never demanded that we pay the full balance and we have made small payments each month towards our bill. The IVF costs are pretty comparable to other clinics in the area, however, the way they have it set up takes a lot of stress off the process. You pay for retrieval costs, and can add in ICSI or Genetic Testing, then you pay per transfer. Another clinic I worked with packaged it all together and you only had 1, 2, or 3 chances and total costs reflected. So if you had a ton of embryos left, but had used up your number of transfers, you owed even more money. UAB approaches the retrieval process with the mindset that they hope you will only ever do 1 retrieval to build your entire family. Instead of retrieving each time you are ready to try for another child.
Birmingham

The only downside to Dr Gunn is that I feel like I never see her. I don’t feel like she is checking in on me without my prompting. ... Dr Gunn she suggested IUI w/ meds because of my age, 37 ... She is an advocate for LGBT reproduction ... Dr Gunn was very patient and caring. ... I feel she cares very much for her patients. I appreciate her open and honest dialogue. ...
Clinic [U of AL at Birmingham] is great. Parking is awful. Staff is wonderful. I hate the computer check-in system. I like to talk to someone upon arriving. Clinic is clean and well organized. The clinic usually runs in time, only having to wait longer then expected a few times. ... Each ultrasound is $150. Clomid ~$20 Trigger shot ~$100. IUI $300 ... The nursing staff was great. All seemed very caring and invested. A few occasions they were tired or less friendly, but that’s to be expected.
I really like Dr Gunn, I feel she is passionate about what she does and truly in her field for all the right reasons. She is an advocate for LGBT reproduction - which I think is amazing. I’m not LGBT, but I like that she helps many people with fertility. Dr Gunn is caring and listens. I think she is very well trained and trustworthy. The only downside to Dr Gunn is that I feel like I never see her. I don’t feel like she is checking in on me without my prompting. As anyone who goes through infertility knows, this journey can be isolating and mentally taxing. I went through so low points and wanted Dr Gunn to reach out. I went through two clomid cycles with times intercourse and had to take a break because - then I started back with an IUI cycle. Those three cycles have taken my almost 8 months to complete and would really like a meeting/phone call/ follow-up after each cycle or two to access the results and discuss next steps. Knowing more about the process I know this isn’t really possibly at her level - but perhaps a care team staff member could reach out? It’s just hard and lonely and I wish I’d had a little more hand holding after each negative pregnancy test. I do really like Dr Gunn, this is my only negative assessment of her and the care team. I would recommend her and know my expectations have made me be a little more proactive in my health care.
Ask lots of questions and don’t hesitate to reach out. It’s a lonely journey.
Dr Gunn was very patient and caring. She gave me her personal cell phone number to call if I had emergency questions or problems. The doctor’s office uses an online portal (email) to communicate and Dr Gunn (or staff) is always responsive. I feel she cares very much for her patients. I appreciate her open and honest dialogue.
First meeting with Dr Gunn she suggested IUI w/ meds because of my age, 37, and we had been married 9 years and had tried 2 years to conceive naturally. I wasn’t ready to jump in to IUI, so I asked if we could start with clomid and times intercourse. She said absolutely and we did two rounds of timed intercourse with meds. I had to take time off between cycles due to cysts and mild depression caused by meds. After 2 failed cycles of meds and timed intercourse, I informed the staff I was ready to move to IUI, which is where we currently are.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Clinic is great. Parking is awful. Staff is wonderful. I hate the computer check-in system. I like to talk to someone upon arriving. Clinic is clean and well organized. The clinic usually runs in time, only having to wait longer then expected a few times. Since I’ve gone so much I’ve learned to bring a book. Due to my cycle I had to receive treatment on a Sunday of a holiday weekend. The clinic was great to be open understanding the importance of timing these things.
Consultation was covered under insurance. Each ultrasound is $150. Clomid ~$20 Trigger shot ~$100. IUI $300

2012 - 2018, Successful
Dr Bates is an extremely knowledgable doctor. He is also a professor at UAB and has been treating infertility for 25 years. He really knows what he is doing and isnt in the business of risking mom and baby by risking multiples. I fully trust his expertise.... I only see Dr Bates during the big dates, the fellows handle most all the busy work with Dr Bates making all the decision. All Doc and Staff are very sweet and caring.
The only downside of the clinic [UAB] is that its very hospital like... well because its at a hospital. Haha. The parking is also limited but im not big on parking in the deck across the street. The parking fee is rather expensive and adds up quickly with all the visits.... [The nurse was] Excellent. Great communication through patient portal. Attentive to needs and questions.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Do some research and come prepared with questions. Dr Bates is a very busy man so utilize your time with him wisely. The fellows are very knowledgeable as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Describe the protocols Wright Bates used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
Letrozole CD 3-7 HCG trigger as directed after US IUI 24 hours later Repeat Above IVF Menopur Follistem Antagonist as directed HCG trigger as directed Retieval 36 hours later Tranfer Estrace 2mgx2 for 7 days + Baby Asp Estrace 2mgx3 for 9 days + Baby Asp Same as above add Progesterone 1ml for 1 day. Same as above add Medrol 16 mg for 5 days. Doxy with dinner and breakfast before transfer. After Transfer Progesterone 1ml, Estrace 2mgx3 and Baby Asp daily as directed
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The only downside of the clinic is that its very hospital like... well because its at a hospital. Haha. The parking is also limited but im not big on parking in the deck across the street. The parking fee is rather expensive and adds up quickly with all the visits.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham.
It varied depending on Insurance coverage but complete IVF cycle is roughly 18,000us
Describe Wright Bates's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
ESET is what they prefer unless unsuccessful on previous transfers.

2015 - 2018, Successful
You can tell he [Dr. Bates] cares in his own way. He’s good at explaining every step of the procedures. He takes time during every visit and never made me feel rushed. He’s realistic with his expectations and doesn’t set false hopes. I know when he had to call to tell me the first transfer was unsuccessful he was upset about it too. He is a kind man who is also working at a teaching hospital so he’s sharing his knowledge with future doctors.
The facility itself [U of Alabama] is clean and modern. The waiting room is comfortable. The parking is a challenge and how the bathrooms are in the hall by the elevator vs off of the waiting rooms is a little inconvenient. But I do like that you go to the same place for the retrieval’s and the transfers and blood work is all done in one spot.... we use a portal to email back and forth and sometimes that’s hard because one nurse will start the convo and another will pick up. So that can get confusing.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
While he may not be a hugger. You can tell he cares in his own way. He’s good at explaining every step of the procedures. He takes time during every visit and never made me feel rushed. He’s realistic with his expectations and doesn’t set false hopes. I know when he had to call to tell me the first transfer was unsuccessful he was upset about it too. He is a kind man who is also working at a teaching hospital so he’s sharing his knowledge with future doctors.
Don’t expect him to be all warm and fuzzy. More of a factual this is how it goes sort of guy. Be prepared with questions too and he will answer every one of them and not make you feel silly for asking.
I love Dr Bates. You can tell he does this because he loves to help. His team is great. They all remember me and are always available for any questions.
I used microdose lupron. Menopur and gonal f. We used icsi on both retrieval’s. And did a fresh transfer which was unsuccessful with two 5 day embryos. Our second retrieval was a freeze all and we did pgs testing. We then did a frozen transfer of the only genetically good embryo and that’s my 7 month old daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura, Tabitha, Kendall, Sonjola)
Love them! They care so much and are super helpful. I do wish their calendars were a bit different for my use/preference. Also, we use a portal to email back and forth and sometimes that’s hard because one nurse will start the convo and another will pick up. So that can get confusing.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The facility itself is clean and modern. The waiting room is comfortable. The parking is a challenge and how the bathrooms are in the hall by the elevator vs off of the waiting rooms is a little inconvenient. But I do like that you go to the same place for the retrieval’s and the transfers and blood work is all done in one spot. Because it’s in Birmingham just always be prepared for traffic.
There were costs for the retrieval’s. The transfers. The isci and the pgs testing. The cost of meds and pgs testing were not through Bates/UAB but part of the whole experience. It was about $18,000 per round
I believe he prefers to transfer 1 embryo. We did two the first time because of our urging. We wanted twins.
Birmingham

Dr Blackwell always answered my questions,even if there were tons and put my mind at ease. Even when I have questions at an appointment that wasn’t scheduled to see him; he always popped in and answered them. He gave me realistic expectations and was there every step of the way. ... He will only do 3-4 IUIs before referring to IVF. ... The first scan measured smaller follicles than he would have liked so the next month we added ovidrel.
Strengths: Quick to respond ... Clean Online portal was always updated ... Explained every visit/procedure thoroughly ... ... My opinion mattered ... Check in was easy Weakness: Appointment sometimes took a while Didn’t see the actual doctor much but I understand ... The nursing staff [UAB] was always amazing. They really made me feel like I mattered and answered any questions I had.
How was your experience with Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham?
He was very responsive to any questions I had and set out a realistic time frame and expectations. The onlt thing that bothered me a little was not seeing him as often as I liked but he would pop in if I ever needed questions answered. I will say that he always made an effort to schedule as many things in one day as possible and get medications to me quickly since I travel 90 minutes one way so I appreciated that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Pray
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Describe the protocols Richard (Dick) Blackwell used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
I started out with just taking letrozole I believe (after the initial bloodwork and consult of course) and measuring follicles around day 11-12. After no pregnancy; he quickly resorted to IUI so we continued with the follicle measuring,letrozole,and added Gonal-f. The first scan measured smaller follicles than he would have liked so the next month we added ovidrel. We continue this until i decided to take a break in October. It became a lot financially and emotionally. He will only do 3-4 IUIs before referring to IVF.
The nursing staff was always amazing. They really made me feel like I mattered and answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Strengths: Quick to respond Explained every visit/procedure thoroughly Clean Online portal was always updated Check in was easy My opinion mattered Weakness: Appointment sometimes took a while Didn’t see the actual doctor much but I understand
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard (Dick) Blackwell at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Co-pays and some lab work that was covered
Describe Richard (Dick) Blackwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
None
Richard (Dick) Blackwell
Birmingham

Between the 1st and 2nd cycles [with Dr. Deidre Gunn] we did change up the protocol (less lupron maybe?) and we did a freeze all for genetic testing, because all of my cycles had good numbers for fertilization, but with my advanced maternal age, felt like it was the egg quality that was the issue...is a thoughtful and knowledgeable doctor. She shared information with me by using facts and research and was direct with the process and next steps and options at every stage, but at the same time was compassionate and made me feel like she cared about my success as much as I did. I always felt like I was under the best of care with her and the team at UAB.
It was about $15k for each cycle [at University of Alabama Birmingham] w/ icsi, plus meds, and then $2-3K for pgs testing... I felt like the clinic was great. The whole staff got along, I got to know everyone from the women at the check in desk, to the women who drew my blood, to the embryologist and my doctors and nurses. It's a really great practice and I'm glad I chose to go there even if it wasn't the closest clinic to me...Dr Gunn, and the attending doctors and the nurses knew me by name, they sat with me when sharing good or bad news, never made me feel rushed, never made me feel like my questions or emotions were too much or an inconvenience to them. Doctor Nps
Dr Gunn is a thoughtful and knowledgeable doctor. She shared information with me by using facts and research and was direct with the process and next steps and options at every stage, but at the same time was compassionate and made me feel like she cared about my success as much as I did. I always felt like I was under the best of care with her and the team at UAB.
VIsit or meet with her as soon as you can (b/c I know you wanted to be pregnant already) and trust that whatever she's recommending is what's best for you and your specific situation. She won't throw tests or options out just because. She's considering all the options out there, but presenting what's best for you. Trust her.
Not going to lie, the details are a little fuzzy! I remember using Gonal f, menopur, estradiol, lupron, pregnyl. Taking low dose aspirin. Between the 1st and 2nd cycles we did change up the protocol (less lupron maybe?) and we did a freeze all for genetic testing, because all of my cycles had good numbers for fertilization, but with my advanced maternal age, felt like it was the egg quality that was the issue. My first IVF cycle, I had 8 retrieved, my 2nd had 15 retrieved and my third we had 16! For my 2nd and 3rd I cut out sugar for the 30 days before the meds started but that was not because Dr. Gunn told me too.
Tabitha was helpful, always followed up, knew me by name when she saw me, and absolutely cared. The one thing that could have been better was that Laura, the nurse I had before, had done IVF herself, so there was just an extra level of compassion and understanding that you can't just teach to someone.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
I never parked in the public parking lot, but instead in the parking lot by the doors of the clinic. They could punch it so it was cheaper and I felt like it was worth the $2. I felt like the clinic was great. The whole staff got along, I got to know everyone from the women at the check in desk, to the women who drew my blood, to the embryologist and my doctors and nurses. It's a really great practice and I'm glad I chose to go there even if it wasn't the closest clinic to me.
It was about $15k for each cycle w/ icsi, plus meds, and then $2-3K for pgs testing.
Birmingham
Dr. Gunn was very calm and easy going. Just very even all the time. I felt like she was very competent and explained things well. ... She did things based off of evidence-based learning, which I loved. ... She was so kind and caring; called me on the weekend a few times; gave me a work 'personal cell phone number' to be able to reach her at if needed; was able to text her too. I only texted her once, but it was great to know I could contact her.
I loved being at UAB. The first year fellow at the time did a lot of my ultrasounds and was there at all my big appointments. I felt like I was so well-taken care of and loved the evidence-based treatment style. ... The ultrasound monitoring started at 7:15am. ... Gave very detailed calendars of medications. Was very easy to communicate with- emails were ALWAYS answered within an hour or two.
Dr. Gunn was very calm and easy going. Just very even all the time. I felt like she was very competent and explained things well. My husband and I are both doctors, so we were very impressed with her care. She did things based off of evidence-based learning, which I loved.
You are in good hands.
1. Three rounds of Clomid with trigger shots. 2. Two IUI's. (It was suggested we do three, but we were ready to move to IVF) 3. 1 egg retrieval cycle and 1 transfer resulting in our 24 week old in utero son!
Gave very detailed calendars of medications. Was very easy to communicate with- emails were ALWAYS answered within an hour or two. Friendly, kind, and compassionate. The BEST nurses!!!
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The ultrasound monitoring started at 7:15am. I would always take these early appointments because I worked. I even went in on a Sunday for an ultrasound and did an IUI on a Saturday. They were very accommodating.
IUI- $290 each Stimulation and Egg Retrieval- $11,130 Embryo Transfer- $1390 Genetic Counyl Screening Bloodwork- $700 PGS testing of the embryos- $1600 for six embryos Medications- $4200 total
My doctor recommended a single embryo transfer. Due to my age (31) and the quality of our embryos (very good), she would not transfer more than one embryo. She told us the goal of treatment was a single, healthy pregnancy which is better for mom and baby.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
[Dr. Bouknight has] By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced...an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate...The best way to communicate is through the patient portal. She will always answer within a few hours or the following day.
The nurse [at University of Alabama] was always very kid and understanding. She always returned my calls or emails promptly and sent out all prescriptions on time...Their team is truly amazing and I say team because that is what they are. The few times I had to see a different doctor they were always up to speed with my treatment plan and our family's obstacles. It was very comforting to know everyone cared from receptionists, lab analysts, doctors and nurses.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is an amazing doctor and person! She always listens to our concerns and our ideas regarding our treatment. Also due to our commute (4 hours to clinic), she always adjusted her schedule/our appointments to accommodate. By far the best bedside manor I have ever experienced. She truly care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bouknight is extremely compassionate. She is always willing to listen and answer any question I had. She was very understanding of our circumstances (travel distance, money, etc) and always worked with us. She always heard us out and let us be involved in our treatment.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
My husband and I are considered unexplained infertility. We started treatments with clomid and timed intercourse. Which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. From there we moved onto clomid with IUIs (3). All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Finally we tried injections with timed intercourse through ultrasound monitoring. This proved to be unsuccessful also. In June 2017, we will complete our first IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham.
The nurse was always very kid and understanding. She always returned my calls or emails promptly and sent out all prescriptions on time.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Up until this point we have paid our regular co-pays ($12 each), medication costs, and IUI costs ($300 each). This summer will will have to pay for a full cycle of IVF with medications out of pocket ($17,000 roughly).
Janet Bouknight

2014, Successful
[Dr. Bouknight] Strengths- sweet person, genuinely wants what's best for you, will do everything she can to get you pregnant, excellent listener weaknesses- sometimes is hard to read, isn't the "warmest" at first but will open up more the more you work with her, doesn't always call with results or get back to you when she says she will (very frustrating especially during a IVF cycle)...Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done.
most of the time short wait time [at U of AL], excellent hours available before work hours (before 8am), easy to work with and accommodating. Clean and nice clinic too...Was not informed on a certain day during the IVF cycle how many embryos survived. We were anxiously awaiting this info and had to call and leave 3 messages before the fellow responded...Worked with [nurse] Laura most of the time. She gets things done on time (calls prescriptions, etc) but sometimes seems like she's got too much going on. Doesn't always call back same day. The portal seems to be the best way to communicate with anyone there on the team.
Make sure you feel confident in talking to her, staying on top of your own treatments and goals, standing up for yourself and calling/bugging the clinic when you want something done. If you don't feel like you can do that, I'd find another clinic.
At times I felt like I got lost in the shuffle. I would say definitely be an advocate for yourself and stay on top of your treatment schedule.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Worked with Laura most of the time. She gets things done on time (calls prescriptions, etc) but sometimes seems like she's got too much going on. Doesn't always call back same day. The portal seems to be the best way to communicate with anyone there on the team.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
most of the time short wait time, excellent hours available before work hours (before 8am), easy to work with and accommodating. Clean and nice clinic too.
monitoring appointments were super quick and easy to schedule. definitely a plus!
I want to say IVF was around 12-15K for all the meds and retrieval cycle w/ ICSI, IUIs were a couple hundred $, and frozen transfers were around 2500 + medication.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Janet Bouknight
Birmingham

He [Dr. Blackwell] was kind, explained things honestly, which I appreciated....he set things in motion fast. My mom went with me and thought he was hilarious. She’s always thought I might have endometriosis. He said I didn’t.... He used letrozole instead of clomid, because he said that clomid can cause problems (I honestly don’t remember what those were but made sense to me). We did sperm analysis, then track cycles, then iui, then if that didn’t work the last step would be ivf.
They [U of Alabama] are helpful answering questions but you have to ask. The nurse practitioner, Courtney, was much warmer after I got to know her. At first, not so much.... They were fast to get meds called in and answered questions quickly. But sometimes I had to ask because questions weren’t anticipated and things weren’t explained before hand... Pills were pretty cheap, like $5. We paid $60 the sperm analysis and $120 for each ovidrel shot.
He doesn’t do procedures anymore, because he’s getting up there in age. But he was honest, and even told me i should have already had my husband checked because he’s older than me! And he set things in motion fast. My mom went with me and thought he was hilarious. She’s always thought I might have endometriosis. He said I didn’t. He told me what to expect, and so far it’s tracked along with that.
Write down your questions!
He was kind, explained things honestly, which I appreciated.
He used letrozole instead of clomid, because he said that clomid can cause problems (I honestly don’t remember what those were but made sense to me). We did sperm analysis, then track cycles, then iui, then if that didn’t work the last step would be ivf. Nothing has worked yet, but we haven’t tried ivf yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Nurse practitioner- )
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Know that you need to ask the questions to find out what to expect. They are helpful answering questions but you have to ask. The nurse practitioner, Courtney, was much warmer after I got to know her. At first, not so much.
My insurance covered the first visit. And ultrasounds. Pills were pretty cheap, like $5. We paid $60 the sperm analysis and $120 for each ovidrel shot. Also, iui was $295
I can’t comment. This never came up. Although because of my age, I believe we would transfer at least 2
Richard (Dick) Blackwell
Birmingham
She [Dr. Gunn] is very understanding and compassionate but is able to give realistic expectations. She takes all of your concerns into consideration and develops a personalized course of treatment for you. I did not see her every visit but sometime saw fellows or nurse practitioners but if I ever needed to speak with her directly she was always available. ... She used an algorithm based on my age and health but most of the time recommends 1 embryo
The initial consult was a long wait but every other appointment was a quick wait. They [U of AL Birmingham] were easy to get appointments with and easy to communicate with 24/ 7. ... The IVF coordinator was very friendly but sometimes seems less organized than I would have preferred. Ultimately she had everything under control and I learned to trust her. ... Everyone knew who I was and spent time explaining things and answering my questions.
She is very understanding and compassionate but is able to give realistic expectations. She takes all of your concerns into consideration and develops a personalized course of treatment for you. I did not see her every visit but sometime saw fellows or nurse practitioners but if I ever needed to speak with her directly she was always available.
Overall everyone was great and easy to communicate with. The IVF coordinator was very friendly but sometimes seems less organized than I would have preferred. Ultimately she had everything under control and I learned to trust her.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
They practice according to the latest research and with the most up to date technology. The initial consult was a long wait but every other appointment was a quick wait. They were easy to get appointments with and easy to communicate with 24/ 7.
We spend around 20,000 for testing, 3 IUIs with clomid and 1 rounds of IVF.
She used an algorithm based on my age and health but most of the time recommends 1 embryo for most of her patients. Pros and cons were discussed with me and she would have honored my wish if I chose to transfer 2.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
1 time they asked me to come in for a follow up but forgot to put it on the schedule. Another time they forgot to ask me to come in but put me on the schedule. Both times were quickly remedied and they apologized for the inconvenience.
Birmingham

Dr McLean is very compassionate. She really cares about her patients and is always willing to listen. I felt like she lets me have an active role in the treatment. She is always open to hear about the research I have made on my own and tries to adjust protocols including my thoughts. She always answers all the e-mails I write to the UAB portal within the same day....I had one unsuccessful IUI with Dr McLean and two Ivf's. Since I have diminished ovarian reserve I don't have many eggs. However I responded quite well to Dr McLeans protocol ( antagonist, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) They were able to freeze 4 embryos and they all came back pgs normal. I am currently waiting for my first transfer.
This team [at University of Alabama Birmingham] is really great! The doctors seem to be up to date with all the treatment options. They also have a really good lab and Embriologyst ( Dr. Edmonds)...[Nurse] Laura was always very kind and understanding. She is very organized, always responded my messages within the same day, sended out prescriptions in time....I had one unsuccessful IUI with Dr McLean and two Ivf's. Since I have diminished ovarian reserve I don't have many eggs. However I responded quite well to Dr McLeans protocol ( antagonist, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) They were able to freeze 4 embryos and they all came back pgs normal. I am currently waiting for my first transfer.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
You can totally trust this doctor. The best way to communicate with her is via the patient portal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr McLean was always very understanding and supportive. She always listens, is open to try new things and gets in touch with you immediately if you have any questions
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
This team is really great! The doctors seem to be up to date with all the tratment options. They also habe a really good lab and Embriologyst ( Dr. Edmonds)
Mamie McLean
Birmingham

At our first consultation, Dr. McLean spent an hour with us answering our questions.... We used ICSI because of male factor infertility and the fact the sperm had to be retrieved. Although it was male factor, I got thoroughly checked out too. I think I ended up being on a low dose of meds. We had ~20 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized and 3 embryos made it. 1 successfully transferred and 2 frozen. She said we had a low number of embryos from 20 eggs because of male factor.
I could not have had a better experience with Dr. McLean [at Univ of Al at Birmingham]. I think what made it so great was communication. I could send her a question through the portal and get an immediate answer. In person, she never made me feel rushed. Her answers to my questions were always honest and we'll thought out.... [The nurse] always communicated quickly and answered all my questions.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I could not have had a better experience with Dr. McLean. I think what made it so great was communication. I could send her a question through the portal and get an immediate answer. In person, she never made me feel rushed. Her answers to my questions were always honest and we'll thought out.
Definitely use her!
At our first consultation, Dr. McLean spent an hour with us answering our questions. She made us feel at ease. During the process, the time she spent with me and the way she listened often made me feel like I was her only patient.
Always communicated quickly and answered all my questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham.
I fortunately had insurance that covered but without it would have been about 10k.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
She gave us the option but was honest that in our case eSet was probably the best choice.
Mamie McLean
2015, Successful
Dr. [Wright] Bates as well as Dr. Bouknight and Dr. McLean [at University of Alabama Birmingham] were very compassionate. They all were always on the same page with each other and you could tell they each knew our case. They work as a team to make the best decisions for us. Very personable and relatable. Dr. Bates and Dr. Bouknight both openly share their infertility struggles and can relate....Birth control, Lupron, 125 Gonal F, 75 Menopur, HCG trigger, aspirin, prometrium progesterone, Valium day of transfer.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bates as well as Dr. Bouknight and Dr. McLean were very compassionate. They all were always on the same page with each other and you could tell they each knew our case. They work as a team to make the best decisions for us. Very personable and relatable. Dr. Bates and Dr. Bouknight both openly share their infertility struggles and can relate.
Go see them!!! Ask a lot of questions because they will all answer them. Tell them your fears/concerns. They are there to help you and want to get to know you so let them.
Dr. Bates and his staff remembered conversations from previous appointments and knew all details of our history.
Laura is amazing!!! She has such a heart for couples with infertility. She has experience with it herself and this helps her relate. She returns calls within a very short period of time. The key to a good IVF experience is the nurse and with Laura you will not be disappointed!!!!
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Nothing. New nice clinic. Very short waits normally.
IVF without insurance plus meds, ICSI, and freezing was about $18k
2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
I haven't had a baby yet but I know he isn't a miracle worker -- what he does is listen -- try every avenue and tell you about the latest and newest possibilities.
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Become friendly with nurses and IVF coordinator -- they will help you with scheduling
They are a great group of doctors and nurses who really do care and want to listen to all your questions and concerns. They always call back the day you leave voicemail and send a private message through UAB portal. We adopted after failed IVF and they were so excited -- sent us a handwritten note from all doctors. Dr. Bates' team has the best results in AL
Want to go over everything with you specifically - how to give medicine / injections. Any questions - any concerns.