University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
3701 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
800 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087
800-789-7366
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 28Neutral: 7Don't recommend: 68.3
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments.... What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times. It has resulted in a longer amount of time that we've been in treatment, which may not be for everyone depending on how long they've already been trying. But it's kept our treatments within the window of what is mostly covered by my insurance which meets our financial needs at this time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments. Additionally, they know that we drive over an hour each way to our appointments and make every effort to give me the first appointment slot so that my work day isn't interrupted significantly. They are reassuring and answer even some of the simplest of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan is the NP who is the primary on my case. She's just fantastic - even though we're in our sixth round of Clomid treatment, she has walked me through the steps every time and hasn't assumed I know what to do because I've done it before. She returns my phone calls within the same day and even at appointments where I'm in and out of the office before she comes in, she still calls me in the same day to check in and make sure I'm feeling ok with where things are.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done. Once we had those results, we were presented with two options - continue trying Clomid or move onto IVF. Given our current financial situation, it was a blessing to hear that Clomid was still a viable option for us. Since that first consultation I've seen Dr. Shah twice more. Each appointment she takes the time to explain to me in very simple ways what is going on in my body and how that impacts my fertility. She's patient and willing to explain things multiple times to make sure I feel comfortable with our plan. She's the best person we could have guiding us through this process at this time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
It took us over a month between when we initially called for an appointment and when we were able to schedule one, so I'd consider calling early. I also don't see her at every appointment, but have been able to (and encouraged by the nurses) schedule other appointments with her if I need to.
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI. IUI isn't going to increase our chances all that much more and because it isn't covered by my insurance, she doesn't think it's something we necessarily need to consider. This treatment combination has produced one strong follicle in 4 of the 5 cycles we've completed. We had no reaction in the last cycle which caused us to take a break for the summer. We just resumed last week and are in the middle of a sixth Clomid cycle now.
2014 - 2018
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
This clinic [U of Penn] has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great.
2014 - 2018
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
This clinic has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great. They require IVF education sessions before beginning a cycle, which is really helpful for getting questions answered about the process in general and what to expect. At the Market Street location, there is street parking, but there is also a garage and they will validate your parking so it's only $5, which is great for Philadelphia! I have not been to the other 2 locations. The only weakness that I can report is that your primary doctor may not be the one doing all the procedures. They do have fellows there who are training, but they are well-supervised by the attending physicians.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer and his nurse would personally call me back when I called with questions. He was so incredibly kind, especially after my first miscarriage, which was before I was in treatment with him. When I had to leave the practice due to insurance changes and a move out of the area, he called to tell me that he would always be there to support me in what I needed, and that he would love to keep in touch about life, good news, and my professional career (I'm a physician). I never felt rushed with him, and he made sure I felt cared for at a very vulnerable time in my life.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Madeline)
Madeline was the best! She fully explained everything and called me daily with updates to my medications and treatment plans. The rest of the nurses with whom I interacted in the office were also great. They were all very friendly and helpful.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer is very kind and compassionate. He takes the time to fully understand your story and your goals. I felt like I was very prepared for all of my procedures (HSG, IUI, egg retrieval), and knew I was in good hands. After my first miscarriage, he called multiple times to see how I was doing, both physically and mentally. I never felt like he was rushing me out of his office, and he treated me like family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Ask every question you have! Write them down and take your list with you. He will take all the time he needs to answer them.
Describe the protocols Steven Sondheimer used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did a stimulation protocol as follows: 1. Lupron for 10 days 2. Start Gonal-F 3. Add Menopur 4. hCG trigger shot I had monitoring appointments daily during stimulation. I have PCOS, so there was a slight concern of OHSS. My doctor retrieved 23 eggs, 19 of which fertilized. 8 of those matured, 5 were frozen on Day 5, and 3 were frozen on Day 6. I don't recall the exact grading, but my doctor assured me that they only ever froze embryos they thought would be successful as FET's.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I was very fortunate to have insurance that covered fertility treatments entirely. I paid copays for my appointments. The embryo storage fee I believe was $550 for the initial freeze + 3 months, and then $225 billed quarterly after that.
Describe Steven Sondheimer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I did not have an embryo transfer yet, but my doctor usually recommends single embryo transfer, because transferring 2 doesn't significantly increase your chance of pregnancy, and also to avoid the risk that comes with carrying multiples.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous...I was always called by my doctor or my nurse with results, instructions, etc. They always made me feel like they were taking a personal interest in my case.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
They are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
I would receive update phone calls from my nurse Dawn whenever Dr Butts was unable to call me herself. She was conscious of the hours I worked and always called at a reasonable time. She knew I wanted all the details and results of any tests or labs done. She was able to answer any questions I had and was knowledgeable about my case throughout the process.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Butts wants me to have success. She listens to my questions/concerns/needs and has always agreed not to give up until I felt I was finished. When everything we had tried wasn’t working, she would consult with colleagues and come up with a new plan. She makes every effort to be the one to perform all of my procedures, and calls me personally to discuss any outcome or treatment plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Try to research everything you can to find out what’s going on with your body. And don’t be afraid to have opinions or suggestions and stick up for yourself if you feel something isn’t right.
Describe the protocols Samantha Butts used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did 3 IVF cycles using a combination of lupron, menopur and follistim. I have low AMH/DOR and a thin lining. I was only able to produce 9 eggs on my best cycle, and 4 eggs on my worst. Those 3 cycles resulted in 2 total embryos that were frozen for later FETs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Costs were minimal because I work in that health system and my insurance covered nearly everything in network. Once I hit my IVF insurance cap I had to pay $5k-$8k on remaining meds.
Describe Samantha Butts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
My doctor was willing to transfer multiple embryos if the quality wasn’t great. But in my case I only had 2 to work with so we did 2 separate single embryo transfers.
Phila - Market
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic [UPenn-Market] as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.... The charges associated with my husband's TESE were extremely unclear. We got multiple bills that we were not expecting and they do not inform you about costs associated with sperm storage.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson was very thorough and honest about our prognosis. He answered all of our questions and we never left appointments feeling confused or unsure of what to expect. We never had a hard time getting a hold of him directly and he called my husband numerous times regarding procedures, appointments, etc. I wish all of our doctors communicated like he does!
What specific things went wrong at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson's biggest strength is his communication. We felt like he was genuinely invested in our care and made every effort to ensure that our other fertility specialists were aware of our needs. He was compassionate and called my husband before and after each procedure.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Don't be afraid to call his office to speak to him directly! His office staff was great about helping us get in touch with him.
Describe the protocols Puneet Masson used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Dr. Masson performed 2 TESEs for my husband and he recommended that he take Ubiquinol, Vitamin D and Ester C for a few months prior to the procedure. The first time, my husband was not aware of these recommendations but the TESE did yield viable sperm. He DID take the recommended supplements before the second TESE, which yielded sperm of approximately the same quality as the first time. So I can't say whether or not the supplements helped, but both procedures did yield useable sperm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Puneet Masson
Phila - Market
All staff [Upenn- Market] is very friendly and willing to answer any questions....My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing....Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was. Ask questions about what is your next step. The wait time is under 15-20 minutes. The staff is very friendly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Senapati explained the entire process in great detail. If you have a question, my nurses got back to me the same day. When I went in to see my doctor or for blood work and sonogram I was seen within 15-20 minutes. All staff is very friendly and willing to answer any questions.
My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing. After my eggs were retrieved she called and gave me updates.
How was your experience with Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
When I first went to see Dr Senapati I didn't know what to expect. She explained all the procedures such as IUI and IVF in great detail. I believe she could come off a little more compassionate as some of the other doctors I've met in the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Senapati throws a lot of information at you at once. Make sure you bring your questions and you take down notes.
Describe the protocols Suneeta Senapati used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I began birth control for a few weeks and then went on 10ml of lupron. On the second day of my period I had a baseline ultrasound to check my ovaries and lining. I started injections (5ml lupron in the morning and 375ml Gonal F in the evening). I had bloodwork and ultrasounds to check my hormone levels and follicle development 4 days later and my dose changed to 5ml Lupron, 300 Gonal F and 150 menopur for the rest of the days. I took my HCG trigger shot on day 11 and had my egg retrieval on day 13 (36 after my trigger shot.) I sent my embryos out for PGS testing and i'm waiting on the results. I don't know the strategies behind or rational because I just did what the nurse told me to do.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
From June 2017 until now $62,567 in medical expenses not including prescription drugs. I still have to do the IVF transfer after the PGS results come in.
Phila - Market
[UPenn is] Organized and caring!! I always felt and feel important to them. I have never felt like a number!! They are prompt and informative. The financial people are also amazing at helping navigate you through the insurance coverage you might have and fee schedules!!... They [monitoring appts] were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
My doctor and the clinic always made me feel like my feelings, questions and requests were extremely important. I never felt like I was a number in Dr. Shah’s eyes!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
Always willing to listen, respectful, knowledgeable and caring!! They all go above and beyond the call of duty.
She is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
Come prepared with your questions and have an understanding of the process. I feel like having a handle on things and knowing what to ask shows that you are ready to make informed decisions and that you are completely invested in the process. She will explain and re-explain anything you don’t understand. She will give you realistic expectations and she will guide you toward the best options for your specific situation!
I did two iuis with her using an antagonist protocol, then we did and hsg which showed I more than likely have a blocked right tube. We tried a microdose Lupron ivf protocol which never led to a retrieval and was cancelled on cycle day 13 after no growth. I am currently in the tww after a succeful ivf cycle called the estrogen patch protocol and an antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
They were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I have insurance coverage to a certain capped amount, so I only paid a copay for dr visits and for donor sperm related costs. Medication coverage limits were reached so I pay all Meds out of pocket.
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Because of my low amh and my age, we decided to transfer two eggs to give me the best chance of a positive pregnancy test. I completely agree.
PCOS, Unexplained
I love the staff at Penn. Going through this for as long as I have, seeing the girls (Angie, Susan, Aleah) is nice. They’re familiar. They’re professional. They make me feel safe in a very hard situation....Strengths - Always on time with appointments, in and out. And they always provide fast, accurate feedback. Negatives- IVF is too expensive:( for something some of us need to have - our only hope - it’s disheartening to know I can’t afford the one thing that I need.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Shah was very kind and very honest. She recognized how hard this is and always tried to remain positive but gave us her honest opinions.
She was very empathetic and clearly knowledgeable. My only negative is that she was more cautious than I would have liked, after 22 cycles all negative tests- I’ve learned I would’ve like to be more aggressive a year ago.
She will do whatever you choose - so push if you feel like you’re not being aggressive enough with your treatment.
I did the first 8-10 cycles taking letrozole and times intercourse. We moved to letrozole and IUI because that did not work. Due to my PCOS, ovulation was unclear so we introduced ovidrel shots as well. I reacted fine to all of this, the 2.5 mg of letrozole day 3-7 just made me a little more emotional than usual. Then we moved to gonal-f injectables with IUI. This cycle was longer because we started on too low of a dose. At this point we are back to monitoring with oral meds and times intercourse while saving for the inevitable (IVF).
My insurance has covered everything except the gonal-f to date. IVF begins at $8,500. PGS testing is an additional $6,000 and meds between $2k and $5k.
Dr. Shah does not perform multiple embryo transfer to my knowledge.
PCOS, Unexplained
After a couple of failed letrozole IUIs, I tried a few rounds of clomid IUI [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care]. When that didn't work, I added injectables (Follistim). All of those were with Ovidrel trigger. After round 9, I moved to IVF using Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, and Novarel trigger...All have this has been with donor sperm, as my partner is another woman...She [nurse] always calls me when she says she will, and always answers all of my questions. I feel I am in good hands.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
They are very efficient. They see a LOT of patients, so you may not get as much time with any particular provider as you might want. You will meet a lot of different doctors. I like all of them, and have had a very good experience. But if you are looking for a more homey atmosphere or touchy feely experience, it's not the place for you. Also it is super convenient to my work-- this is probably the #1 important thing to me, since I have to go so often.
The practice itself can be a little overwhelming, in terms of the number of patients and providers-- so in that way sometimes I feel like a number. But Dr. Sondheimer puts a lot of personal thought into every stage of care, and is both flexible and direct with his opinions. I truly feel like he cares, even though I haven't yet become pregnant.
She always calls me when she says she will, and always answers all of my questions. I feel I am in good hands.
He is a caring man who has been in this field for a very long time. He is good at direct communication, and I feel that I am in the hands of an expert. He makes himself available as much as possible, and when he is not able to he makes sure I am in good hands with his colleagues. He sometimes seems rushed, but he is always concentrating on me.
Ask all your questions, even the very minute details. And be prepared to not see him all the time.
After a couple of failed letrozole IUIs, I tried a few rounds of clomid IUI. When that didn't work, I added injectables (Follistim). All of those were with Ovidrel trigger. After round 9, I moved to IVF using Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, and Novarel trigger. My retrieval is tomorrow. I have 7 follicles right now. We discussed switching to IUI but Dr Sondheimer didn't recommend it. I am hoping for at least a few embryos. All have this has been with donor sperm, as my partner is another woman.
My insurance covered everything for IUIs except for Ovidrel ($35), and donor sperm washing ($150). For IVF most things have been covered. I think genetic testing (PGS) will be around $1850
He has a strong preference for only transferring 1 frozen embryo at a time. If I do a fresh transfer, he will put in 2.
Phila - Market
The NP [at UPenn-Radnor] assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.... I felt very out of touch with my own care due to almost never speaking with my doctor. I would speak with a new nurse every day (someone unfamiliar with me) regarding my lab results and medication adjustments.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I get the impression that this clinic may be more concerned with their statistics than with their patients. There are about a dozen doctors and in my time there, I saw every single doctor once for one procedure or another. After over a year at the clinic, I still felt like a new patient.
Dr Shah was compassionate and I really felt that she was invested in our care. She called us whenever we got bad news and to give her best wishes when we decided to switch clinics. We didn’t get the outcome we had hoped for so we were eager to get some new ideas by switching clinics, but leaving Dr Shah was bittersweet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan Tronicelli)
The NP assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.
Dr Shah is genuine and compassionate and although we rarely saw her, we felt like she was monitoring us closely from afar. She didn’t do any of my procedures and I think that played a part in feeling like a number and not a patient at this clinic.
Trust her and don’t be afraid to ask questions!
I was on a high-responder protocol. I was on Follistim 150 daily to start. Eventually added in Ganirelix and menopur. Eventually we attempted HGH because of a cycle that resulted in poor quality embryos, howevery retrieval was cancelled.
We paid separately for the egg retrieval ($12,000), FET ($2,500). PGD was paid directly to the lab and meds were separate. I must also say that the Financial coordinator is extremely unhelpful! We were better off googling. At my first meeting with her, I asked her what options there were for paying (do people ever take out loans, are there assistance programs, any opportunities for discounted meds, etc) and she looked at me like I had 12 heads.
We got the lecture about risks of multiples to the nth degree. I was told I would be the next octomom if we transferred two embryos!
Radnor
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Strengths [for UPenn]: all staff I met with were kind and compassionate, remembered me when I had appointments even after some time off, and held friendly conversations. Also, their pricing is much more reasonable than other area clinics. Weaknesses: As a result of being such a large clinic, there were times that the level of care didn’t feel personalized, and didn’t include out of the box thinking. I think there could often be a lot of assumptions that the patient knows more than they do. Advice: arm yourself with information and questions before you go in, and continue to advocate for yourself and for more information. They are always responsive when you ask, but if you don’t ask, they won’t tell you.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: all staff I met with were kind and compassionate, remembered me when I had appointments even after some time off, and held friendly conversations. Also, their pricing is much more reasonable than other area clinics. Weaknesses: As a result of being such a large clinic, there were times that the level of care didn’t feel personalized, and didn’t include out of the box thinking. I think there could often be a lot of assumptions that the patient knows more than they do. Advice: arm yourself with information and questions before you go in, and continue to advocate for yourself and for more information. They are always responsive when you ask, but if you don’t ask, they won’t tell you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
She always remembered me and spoke to me kindly even if it had been a while since I saw her, and even when the news wasn’t good.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
Always very nice/compassionate, but also seemed very rushed any time we spoke on the phone, which is usually when I had questions.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
She is always very kind and took the time to answer all my questions, especially when I had bad results. I have since learned that I didn’t always get all the details I would have needed, and I think she was less inclined to think outside the box regarding m case (i.e. taking supplements, knowing my hormone levels and what those meant), but she was a great person and I think for more cut and dry cases, she is fabulous.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Read up about infertility before you go in and ask her all the questions you have regarding things like antral follicle count, hormone levels, etc., so you can track them and also understand where you fit. Chances are she has the info but she doesn’t always share it unless you ask.
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After a few Clomid/IUI cycles where many were canceled because my right ovary was working but my right tube had been removed, we moved onto IVF. The first protocol was the high dose protocol of Gonal F and Menopur with a Lipton primer. It was canceled due to poor response. My second cycle was the Lipton flare protocol. We went to retrieval expecting 2 eggs but the one follicle was empty and the other fell apart overnight. I have never been pregnant. Since then, I had my endometriosis removed and have read about low stimulation protocols working better in patients with DOR. I spoke to her about that and she didn’t agree and said donor eggs would be my best bet. She may be right, but I’m not ready to give up on myself yet, so I am switching clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
IUI was covered by insurance, so I’m not sure if that. One complete IVF cycle - $8,000 plus approx $4K in meds
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
N/A - I never had an embryo to transfer
Phila - Walnut St
Penn Fertility Care is a huge, efficient practice. Almost everyone I encountered was very warm and kind, but it did mean that almost every visit involved a different practitioner who wasn't familiar with me and my history. My doctor was always available to me by phone, and I knew she was always making the key decisions about my care, but I seldom saw her in person. The biggest downside is that occasionally someone would communicate inaccurate or inconsistent information to me, so I really had to be on top of my own care and advocate for myself, which could get tiring. Overall, I was comfortable with Penn Fertility Care because I trusted that they had the best resources and expertise available, but someone who would be bothered by the level of personal attention might want to consider a smaller practice.
Erin is great at explaining things and demonstrating medication protocols in a way I could understand. Overall, the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care made me feel very comfortable and taken care of.
Doctor Senapati is very good at clearly and patiently explaining things, and takes a very matter-of-fact approach. I always felt very comfortable asking questions, and she never made me feel rushed when we were discussing my care. I always felt like I had a good grasp of the steps we were taking and the reasons behind them. The only reservation I had about her was that my husband and I chose to take a less conventional approach to IVF for religious reasons. We elected to inseminate only a small number of eggs to reduce the chances of excess embryos. We didn't feel like Dr. Senapati always fully understood how important this priority was to us, and we knew she didn't agree with our approach. In the end, we took a path we were comfortable with, but not before we experienced some (respectful) pushback. In summary: If you've got personal ethical concerns about fertility treatments/IVF, consider another doctor who might better understand where you're coming from. If what you want is an expert walking you through your care step by step, she's a great choice.
Don't hesitate to ask questions at any point! She's going to explain a TON of information to you, which can quickly get overwhelming and make decisions difficult. So ask about anything that's unclear, and request to go over something again if you didn't fully grasp it the first time. She'll never make you feel dumb for asking more questions.
Dr. Senapati understood that I wanted to avoid IVF if at all possible, so we exhausted every approach to IUI first. Unfortunately, my extremely sensitive ovaries made this difficult. After I overreacted to even the lowest dose of Clomid, we switched to Letrozole cycles. After I underreacted to even the highest dose of Letrozole, we switched to a hybrid Letrozole+Gonal F cycle. When that didn't work, we used exclusively Gonal F because the dosage can be calibrated so precisely. In the end, we did 14 hormone cycles, with 7 cancelled cycles and 7 IUIs. At that point she recommended we discontinue IUI, so we switched to IVF and I got pregnant after my first embryo transfer.
Describe Suneeta Senapati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Senapati's preferences for single embryo transfer aligned with my own, so we didn't have to discuss it much. From what we did discuss, I felt confident that it was the best choice for my health and for my pregnancy goals. I also felt that the choice was my own and I could have gone a different way if I'd wanted to.
2013 - 2017
If you need a lot of personal attention from your primary physician [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] probably isn't a good place for you-- but if you can handle having many providers, with your primary driving the decisions, it's great...It can feel a bit like a factory, just with the number of providers and patients. But I liked all the providers very much, and trusted their communication with me and with each other.
2013 - 2017
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
It can feel a bit like a factory, just with the number of providers and patients. But I liked all the providers very much, and trusted their communication with me and with each other. I also have a lot of trust in the Penn medical system. If you need a lot of personal attention from your primary physician this probably isn't a good place for you-- but if you can handle having many providers, with your primary driving the decisions, it's great.
Great communicator, always on top of things, very compassionate.
I saw Dr. Butts for general gynecology, because I knew that once I started trying to conceive I would have difficulty based on my irregular periods. Dr Butts diagnosed me with PCOS and then continued to treat me. When I started trying to get pregnant, I had a few (3?) IUIs with her and then she went on sabbatical. At that time I switched to a different provider. I found Dr Butts to be very knowledgeable, very up to date with research, and very approachable. Had I not gotten comfortable with a different provider during her sabbatical, I would have stuck with her.
She can be a quick talker, so be sure to write down all your questions to be sure that you fit them all in. She'll spend as much time with you as you need.
I did a few IUIs with her-- either 2 or 3. I used letrozole alone for the first one, but my ovulation was hard to predict. On the second (and third?) I used letrozole and Ovidrel. Unfortunately none resulted in a pregnancy.
It was just about all covered by insurance, besides a $150 sperm washing fee.
n/a- I did not do IVF with her
Phila - Market
The clinic [UPenn Fertility Care] has weekend hours which are great. I wish there was more flexibility with monitoring appointments. Having them in the morning only at a certain time is inconvenient if you don't have a traditional 9-5. I have also experienced incredible wait times for appointments. For instance, I was told to show up with a FULL bladder for an IUI and ended up waiting an hour for the procedure. Also, we had a lot of trouble with the financial department in getting set up for IVF. No one would call us back and when they did we got different answers. To this day, we do not know what it will cost us up front or in total.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic has weekend hours which are great. I wish there was more flexibility with monitoring appointments. Having them in the morning only at a certain time is inconvenient if you don't have a traditional 9-5. I have also experienced incredible wait times for appointments. For instance, I was told to show up with a FULL bladder for an IUI and ended up waiting an hour for the procedure. Also, we had a lot of trouble with the financial department in getting set up for IVF. No one would call us back and when they did we got different answers. To this day, we do not know what it will cost us up front or in total.
The office has set times for monitoring appointments and a protocol that is rather inflexible. Except for specific consultations, you see whoever is free that day. I also felt that most appointments were rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin IUI, Roohi IVF)
The nurses always got back to me when I called with a question. I felt they were more compassionate and understanding than the doctors.
My impression of Dr. Kalra is that she is incredibly smart and incredibly busy. I only saw her during consultations. All my other procedures and monitoring appointments were done by someone else (Dr, technician or resident). I did not get a "warm and fuzzy" vibe but, in the end, that was not the most important thing to me. I think the protocol she chose was best for me and when it did not work, she adjusted it.
Come prepared with all your questions because she is impossible to reach outside of specific office visits.
Mostly covered by insurance. Trigger shot was $30. Clomid/Femara $10. Bloodwork $50. HSG $180. IVF ???? likely in the neighborhood of $7-10k
I was told that, due to my age, only one embryo is recommended. I was not given an option for multiples.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
This is a large practice [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] which can be a negative and a positive. There are multiple offices so for routine visits - labs/US you can switch it up if one works better. There are multiple doctors who review and work together to make decisions on your care during an IVF cycle...However, there is an element to the practice that can make it feel less personal, and make it harder to get routine consults scheduled.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
This is a large practice which can be a negative and a positive. There are multiple offices so for routine visits - labs/US you can switch it up if one works better. There are multiple doctors who review and work together to make decisions on your care during an IVF cycle. They are open 7 days a week and associated with top Philadelphia hospitals. However, there is an element to the practice that can make it feel less personal, and make it harder to get routine consults scheduled.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
At times at our consults Dr Edwards had to refresh himself on our info and history during the appt, so you definitely want to be well versed on your history and lab results when you go in. After my last miscarriage he called me personally to see how I was doing which was greatly appreciated.
Erin is very attentive and informative. Returns calls in a timely manner. The only negative I have is that I have noticed a correlation in that when lab results are not ideal (e.g. an inappropriately rising, or falling beta) the call with the results comes later in the day than a call with good news lab results does.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
My initial experience with his clinic was after two subsequent miscarriages, but I had only been TTC for less than 6 months so I don't feel that my IF was taken seriously at first. After my third m/c confirmed d/t chromosomal issues my care and the attention paid to my case was greatly improved. Dr Edwards took the time to explain all of our options to us. One of my medicated cycles my CD3 labs came back with an extremely elevated FSH, and Dr Edwards called me personally to discuss the results with me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Educate yourself as much as possible and bring notes and your previous labs results to your consults.
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Clomid 100mg x3 w TI resulted in 2-3 mature follicles w BFP then miscarriage for 2/3 cycles. Currently starting IVF w a Lupron overlap/follistim protocol.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
IVF cycle $8,500. PGS biopsy $2,000. IVF meds administered via hospital pharmacy at a discounted rate for OOP patients.
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
In the case of PGS testing Dr Edwards recommended a single transfer
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
[UPenn has a] long wait, but everyone was nice enough. they did not have a dr doing the ultrasound, but an ultrasound technician. my next clinic ahd a dr doing it.... Dr Butts made me wait over an hour each time I met her. When I would see her in the clinic when I was there for bloods or ultrasounds, she would walk right by and had no idea who I was- not even a smile or tilt of the head in acknowledgment. In appointments, she clearly did not recall any details about me.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
long wait, but everyone was nice enough. they did not have a dr doing the ultrasound, but an ultrasound technician. my next clinic ahd a dr doing it. i have nothign else to say but it wont let me click next until i hit 200 characters
nice enough but dr butts threw her under the bus. forgot to order my meds when i was supposed to start
From the beginning, Dr. Butts was rude and treated me more as if I was an annoyance than a patient. On my first appointment, she had me wait over 1 1/2. When I finally met with her, she didn't even apologize or acknowledge the wait. She treated me as if I was dumb, yet was visibly annoyed when I asked her to explain anything. She also was unwilling to give her opinion on anything and when I asked her what she thought about PGS, all she would ask was "how do you feel about it?" This is not a therapy session- i wanted her actual opinion. I figured bad bedside manner would be ok if there were results. There were not. I have PCOS- having eggs is not my issue. Dr. Butts cancelled my egg retrieval after 14 days of injections. I believe I was not monitored closely enough and was given a "cookie cutter" cocktail of meds and not one geared towards my body. To give you an idea, my next doctor retrieved 17 mature. I found out that my cycle was being cancelled after 14 days from her nurse. Dr. Butts did not call or reach out. After I called Dr. Butts several times, she finally called me back after hours so that when I missed her call and tried to call back, I had no way of reaching her. When we finally did call, she showed no compassion, did not explain anything, was arrogant and was frankly annoyed that I wanted to speak to her to understand why she cancelled my cycle. When I called Penn and said that Dr. Butts was my dr and i wanted at least a partial refund, they were not surprised to get my call. I can only guess that they were used to it.
find a new Dr. immediately.
She does not monitor you closely enough. I was on menopur, ganirelix, and I forgot the name of the third one- starts with an F and is the pen shot. After I started ganirelix she waited over 48 hours to run my bloods. I have since learned that ganirelix commonly can have an adverse impact on people's estrogen and they need to be monitored closely when started to see if other drugs should be increased to offset the effects. That did not happen with Dr Butts
pricey but not terrible
didnt get that far
Phila - Market
Penn Medicine is a very busy place...Yet, despite that, everyone I dealt with treated me so well that I never felt like a number. They were kind and compassionate, and they always listened to me. I honestly received excellent care there...Affordable great care. So you may have to wait a bit at each visit...We purchased a package deal, only $6,750 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers, whether fresh or frozen...Beth was excellent. She always returned my calls and answered all my dumb questions.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
You will receive excellent care here. It's a busy place, busier than the first clinic I went to, but there's a reason for that! Affordable great care. So you may have to wait a bit at each visit. Fortunately my work was understanding if I was late, but I know this could be an issue for some people.
Penn Medicine is a very busy place - far busier than the fertility clinic I went to previously. Yet, despite that, everyone I dealt with treated me so well that I never felt like a number. They were kind and compassionate, and they always listened to me. I honestly received excellent care there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
Beth was excellent. She always returned my calls and answered all my dumb questions. She made sure I was clear with everything. And everyone else who assisted was fantastic as well.
I loved Dr. Kalra the first time my husband and I met her. She was kind and honest. She never sugarcoated anything, but she wasn't all doom and gloom either. I had liked my previous RE (and the main reason I switched was because IVF wasn't covered by my insurance, and Penn was far more affordable), and he was very nice. BUT he had given me false hope. He seemed certain that the IUIs would work. He even called my OB/GYN to tell him to expect to see me pregnant within the next couple of months (which did not happen). Dr. Kalra never did that. She told us our chances right up front. As I stated before, Penn was a busy place, so you would often see other doctors for procedures (all of them were excellent). Dr. Kalra did my second embryo transfer (but not my first), and that was the transfer that resulted in my beautiful baby girl.
If you are concerned about a recommendation or how treatment is going, don't hesitate to call Dr. Kalra to discuss it with her. Someone else may deliver the news, but you are always welcome to talk it over with her to make sure you're making the right decision or doing what's best for you.
We purchased a package deal, only $6,750 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers, whether fresh or frozen. We were able to take out a loan from Arc Fertility. We bought the medications at the pharmacy onsite and saved a ton of money. We probably spent close to 2 grand, but that's a bargain.
On the first cycle, she recommended transferring one embryo. It was an easy decision to make; it was our first cycle, we had seven frozen embryos (all good quality), and we were in our early thirties. When our first cycle didn't work, she recommended we transfer two embryos on the next cycle. My husband and I were very torn about it; we were concerned about the risks with twins (for the babies, myself, and the financial strain). When she knew I was having a hard time with this recommendation, she spoke at length with me on the phone. She assured me that there was nothing wrong with my embryos (which was my concern), but they recommended two simply because the first round didn't work. There was no other reason why; they just wanted to up my chances. She told me she was cautiously optimistic and didn't feel that we needed to change anything else just yet, so if we were more comfortable with transferring one, that's what we should do (and what we ended up doing with success).
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Penn Fertility Care is one of the leading fertility clinics in the country and the doctors in the practice are some of the brightest minds in the field. It is not a small practice, however, and so you have to be willing to be a bit flexible and potentially see other doctors than your primary, and be willing to wait sometimes for appointments. At the end of the day, I wanted top care from the smartest doctors, and I felt Penn Fertility delivered me that...
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
While Penn Fertility is a larger clinic, Dr. Kalra always took her time during my appointments and made sure my husband and I were comfortable with each step during the process.
The entire nursing staff was so wonderful through the whole process. Erin always called me on time and when she said she would, and took time to answer any questions I had.
I could not have asked for a better experience with Dr. Kalra. She was knowledgeable, direct, and I always left appointments feeling like there was a plan or next step. I truly believed she cared about me as a person and was looking out for my best interest. She was trustworthy, compassionate, and just overall a wonderful person to be around during a process that is otherwise very emotionally draining.
Ask questions. She was always willing to take extra time with me if I had more questions or wanted to talk anything through.
Given my issue was ovulation and PCOS, Dr. Kalra put me on a high-responder protocol which worked well. While she warned me about OHSS and said up front they might have to do a "freeze all" given the amount of follicles I had, because of the protocol, we received 26 eggs and I was able to do a fresh transfer. leading up to the retrieval I was in the office every day and she did my final ultra-sounds herself (instead of the ultra sound tech) and gave me rational for why she wanted to wait one more day and then ultimately when I was ready for my trigger. I feel as though her care leading up to my transfer was why I was able to recover quickly and was able to have the transfer 5 days later (which ended up as a BFP :))
I have good insurance so IVF was covered at 80% for me. I was also able to get them to cover a large portion of the medications needed for stimulation so I believe it was around $1200 total.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic at Radnor is well organized and run. The prices for self-pay patients seem to be more reasonable for everything (treatment and meds) than anywhere else I've researched or read about. It is less busy than the office at 3701 Market and for some things you would still need to go to their University City location, but for monitoring, etc, I was at Radnor. However, you will rarely see a physician during your actual treatment. All monitoring is coordinated through the nursing staff. You'll have an ultrasound technician do your scans and a tech to do your blood draws. You sometimes can see a nurse or the nurse pratictioner after your monitoring appt, but your nurse will call in the afternoon with an update to your plan. The entire team including the faculty and the fellows will meet and discuss cases. After a treatment fails, they will discuss recommendations for the next round (I don't know if this is for all cases or just more difficult ones, but it happened for mine without any prompting or request and I got the impression that this is just what they do).
Dr. Shah is warm, straightforward, and whip-smart. She goes over things in as little or as much detail as you are comfortable with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie Huston)
While I liked the other staff in the clinic, I didn't like either of the main nurses at Penn Radnor, Julie or Beth. Julie was my coordinator and she just doesn't have a lot of patience and was frequently confusing. When I was trying to confirm one set of her instructions early on, she made a snarky remark that she had done this many times. I replied back that I hadn't and wanted to make sure that I understood. She sounds condescending on the phone and ordered medications that I didn't need without warning me that I didn't need to pick them up right away (that they were only "in case of"). I would see Beth sometimes during monitoring and I felt as though she was withholding information (probably bad news). She was not my primary contact, however, so my experience with her was minimal.
I felt comfortable with Dr. Shah immediately and felt like I was in great hands. Most of my reluctance of recommending her would only come from how Penn Medicine is run and my experience with the nurses. Dr. Shah had a worksheet made up to help guide her conversations with her patients regarding all of the possible causes of infertility and the tests to identify them. It was incredibly thorough and helpful. I have nothing but great things to say about her.
Be aware that Penn Medicine acts a bit like a team and even if Dr. Shah is your primary RE and guiding your care, you will see any of the doctors at a given procedure and no doctor at all during your monitoring.
Dr. Shah debated between an antagonist protocol (which she selected) and another type of protocol (not sure what that would have been) based on my DOR diagnosis and relatively young (in infertility world) age. The logic for going with the specific protocol was never relayed to me. Did a natural start, 450 gonal f for days 1-5, then ganarelix was added, and I went to gonal f 300 + menopure 150. I had a dominant follicle by day 7 which they warned me might get me cancelled and by day 9 they cancelled the cycle and converted me to IUI that didn't work.
Prices changed July 2016 and I do not know current rates. 6750 covered one retrieval and 2 transfers (1 fresh, 1 frozen or 2 frozen) and ALL embryology, anesthesia, monitoring, bloodwork, mock transfer, etc. Everything. Cancelation before retrieval netted a refund of all but 1500. There were other graduated refunds possible (ie only one transfer, but no embryos to transfer reduced cost to 5000). 1 retrieval and 1 transfer (fresh or frozen) was 5000, but the only refund possible was if your cycle was cancelled before retrieval (cost reduced to $1500). This also included absolutely everything (monitoring, embryology, icsi, bloodwork, education seminar, med training).
2004 - 2016
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Front desk staff [at Upenn - Market] can be a little temperamental and can make you feel likes bother. Overall all of the staff at the clinic, however, are fantastic. Parking is a pain and can be expensive...[Nurse] Rie is fantastic. She always ensured I was comfortable and understood everything. She returns phone calls promptly and spends as much time needed to explain things and a set questions. She personally calls to check in and even to follow up after her weekend off if you had anything done during that time. She came down to check on me after my retrieval as well, even though she wasn't in the OR and was in the office that day...
2004 - 2016
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Front desk staff can be a little temperamental and can make you feel likes bother. Overall all of the staff at the clinic, however, are fantastic. Parking is a pain and can be expensive.
He spent a vast amount of time counseling me and my husband, praising our strength and courage, and supporting us throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie Drinker)
Dr. Sondhiemer is a superb physician at this clinic. He is caring and extremely knowledgable and very methodical in his investigative process when trying to root cause infertility. I've been under his care for 14 yrs as a routine gyn patient due to my PCOS. He was on sabbatical when we ended up doing our retrieval and transfer but he routinely checked in with his RN to see how things were going because he wanted to make sure all was going well. He truly cares about his patients and goes above and beyond as a physician.
He can be very straightforward, but not in a blunt manner.
My protocol was the hyperstimulation protocol due to my PCOS. I was very carefully monitored and was lucky to have no adverse side effects and a very successful round of stimulation and retrieval.
Approx $6800 for 1 fresh and 1 frozen cycle, retrieval, all monitoring. Meds not included. They cost about another $2000 given my particular insurance coverage (or lack there of)
2006 - 2016
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The only weakness [at Penn Fertility Care] is that because it's a large teaching hospital, you someone different for your monitoring appointments. My annuals and consults were always with Dr Sondheimer....Ree is like having the sweetest Mom or Grandmom by your side. I can't say enough nice things about her. She is the mellow calming force to the whole process. The rest of the nurses have been super supportive and caring through the whole process. They know me and even if they aren't part of my care that day they always ask how I'm doing and wish me luck.
2006 - 2016
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The only weakness is that because it's a large teaching hospital, you someone different for your monitoring appointments. My annuals and consults were always with Dr Sondheimer.
Even though I see someone different all the time through the fertility process, I know Dr Sondheimer is leading my team an available whenever I need him to be. He is straight forward and honest; I also find him to be warm and understanding. He lets me know that I'm the one in control and I ultimately make the decisions. The nurses are wonderful!!! I am (trying to be) a single mom by choice and not only is Dr Sondheimer supportive, the staff is also pulling for me every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Ree Drinker )
Sometimes he can seem rushed, but I find that asking questions gets me a long way. He's very willing to explain everything. I'm on the road to motherhood on my own and he couldn't be more supportive. He's very caring and made sure that I had a good supportive network before I started the process. I went through egg freezing a few years ago and he was great through that also.
Ask questions!!!
I don't remember all the medications for the egg retrieval. I know I started on bcp, was on follistim, menapur and I believe Gonal-F. For the IUIs, I do an ultrasound and baseline bloodwork on Day 3 of my cycle, 50 mg of Clomid days 4-8, another ultrasound on Day 12 to check the follicles. The first IUI I did the trigger shot (Ovidrel) the night of CD 12 and had the IUI morning of CD 14. The second time, they did bloodwork on CD 12 to check for an LH surge which I was starting so I triggered as soon as they got the blood results back, 3pm CD 12 and had the IUI the morning of CD 13. I take an at-home pregnancy test two weeks later and call the office with the results. Due to my low AMH and single ovary, if this cycle doesn't work I'll likely move to IVF.
I don't recall the costs for egg retrieval. IUI is covered by my insurance.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Like I said previously, the clinic may leave you feeling like you don't have a personal relationship with your doctor. However when I did have appointments with Dr. Kalra I always left feeling confident in our plan and next step. She communicated great and listened and was concerned with how you were dealing with everything mentally as well. They were prompt with the early morning monitoring appointments. The staff was friendly.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Kalra is compassionate but also honest. She tells you the truth about the odds of success. She listens to all of your questions and lets you voice your concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Roohi)
You are assigned a nurse at the clinic. My nurse was fantastic. She always called when she said we would. She spoke slowly and made sure that I always understood the directions and doses during stims. Roohi always called me back promptly whenever I had a question.
I had a good experience overall at Penn Fertility. Dr Kalra was a great doctor. However, if you're looking to build a close relationship with your doctor this may not be the best place for you. I didn't get to do any of our IUI's or IVF transfers with her. I basically saw her at our consult appointments and when we were discussing our plans. If you got to this practice you will end up with whatever doctor is available at the location that day. It can sometimes feel a bit impersonal.
Dr Kalra used all of our day 3 testing results to decide which protocol to use. She said my AMH was within normal range so she used what they called a high responder protocol. It worked and we had a smooth and successful retrieval with embryos to freeze. Our first transfer was unsuccessful but our frozen embryo transfer gave us a BFP.
IUIs were 1000 each not including trigger shot and clomic IVF was 6775 for retrieval and 2 transfers (I ended up doing 1 fresh and 1 frozen) My meds for stims were 1800 Meds for FET 350 Overall they are extremely affordable in comparison to many other clinics
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Wait times [at UPenn Fertility Care] or appointments can vary anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. The staff have always been very apologetic if the wait time was on the longer side. Front desk staff have always been polite and pleasant....We were lucky to have IVF coverage through our insurance and only had to pay 10% deductible and co-pays. The financial counselors at the clinic were very helpful in confirming our insurance coverage and explaining to us what our remaining cost would be for each procedure before starting that treatment.
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Wait times for appointments can vary anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. The staff have always been very apologetic if the wait time was on the longer side. Front desk staff have always been polite and pleasant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras always asked how we felt about our options or next steps that we just discussed and if we were comfortable with them before ending the appointments.
How was your experience with Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras seems very knowledgeable, but she is conservative (self-admitted) in her approach - both with medications/dosages and with risk factors (testing required for any existing health issues prior to IVF treatments and number of embryos transferred).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Ask as many questions as you need and do you own research, but trust your doctor while in the middle of treatment - they do have a plan even if you don't understand all aspects of it!
Describe the protocols Anuja Dokras used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I was on a hyper response IVF protocol due to having PCOS (my understanding of it is that lower doses of injectible meds are used to avoid overstimulating the ovaries). My stimulation phase took several days longer than expected, which meant having to order additional meds, but the eggs produced were very good quality even though the total number was not as high as might be expected with a regular IVF cycle. We ended up with 6 high quality 5 day embryos from that cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Anuja Dokras
Phila - Market
Everyone at the clinic [UPenn] is very friendly, helpful, supportive. The only negative was sometimes long wait times for monitoring appointments. It really is a team environment there and everyone seems invested in the patient care and excellent outcomes...[Nurse] Roohi was very calm and caring. She was very organized about all the steps in the process. She had my medications ordered and the prior authorizations completed in advance. She was very supportive throughout the process
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Everyone at the clinic is very friendly, helpful, supportive. The only negative was sometimes long wait times for monitoring appointments. It really is a team environment there and everyone seems invested in the patient care and excellent outcomes
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Gracia (please note it is Gracia, not Garcia) is one of the most fantastic doctors (and people) I've ever met. She's unfailingly positive and so invested in her patients' outcomes. I had a poor prognosis per my ob/gyn and all my test results and she remained encouraging and optimistic every step of the way. She listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions. She came to the office on a weekend (on a day she was not scheduled to be in the office) to personally perform my egg retrieval and transfer. I really didn't expect my cycle to work at all but it not only worked, it worked on the first try and I have twins!! She is the best!
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Please see previous answer. Dr Gracia personally performed my retrieval and transfer and was my biggest cheerleader even when I was feeling very pessimistic about my chances of success. Dr. Gracia is optimistic, friendly, caring, approachable, funny, smart, motivated and so smart. I always felt like my cycle and my success were very important to her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Take notes, she talks fast!
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did a luteal lupron downregulation IVF cycle with Follistim and Menopur. I did not use birth control pills. I used intramuscular progesterone support following egg retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
everything was covered by insurance
Clarisa Gracia
Phila - Market
I think that Penn is VERY expensive. When I met with their financial rep, she said that IUIs typically bill out at $5,000. Also, they billed all of my diagnostic testing as 'infertility' so my tests started billing against my insurance lifetime maximum. I felt like they were sucking my few insurance dollars dry. In terms of the clinic, it is clean and typically runs on time. It was rare that I had to wait over 15 minutes.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Dokras spent very little time with me on my first visits. She made zero effort to connect with me as a person and I felt like she was a robot just asking me questions and putting them into her EMR system.
I liked my RN, Beth, and the other RNs that i spoke with. They were more willing to answer questions and explain things than Dr Dokras. They seemed to be the only ones understanding my care.
Dr Dokras obviously never remembered me. She re-introduced herself to me on several visits. I know she sees a lot of people but she could skim my chart for 5 seconds and realize I have been in her office before. Furthermore, she misdiagnosed my husband's sperm results. She opened his results in front of me and said they were normal. Two months later when I was requesting a copy of all our results, I noticed his results were not normal! These results directly impacted our treatment plan and NO ONE ever called to tell us. It is horrible that she misread the test results as I was sitting in front of her. Finally, UPenn pushes all women directly to IUI. They didn't even offer the suggestion of IUI vs. bedroom. I feel like UPenn is out to make money and they do not put the patient first.
Request a hard copy of all your results. Do not trust the verbal diagnosis.
Dr Dokras tried to push me immediately to IUI procedures. She did not even offer Clomid and regular intercourse as an option. It was only after I did research and I asked direct questions that she mentioned it was possible. Also, she did not talk about the plan if the IUI didn't work. I had no idea how long I would be doing Clomid and IUIs.
This clinic is very expensive. They think you will pay any amount for their brand name. IUIs bill out to insurance around $5k and IVF bills out around $22k
Anuja Dokras
2013 - 2015
7 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
You need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates...[nurse] Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh... Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat.
2013 - 2015
7 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
She never hesitated to hug me when I needed one, and didn't blink when I cried. And I cried pretty much every visit. She focused on moving forward rather than my fears of "what if". She was positive without being bullshitting me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Ugh, Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh. If I had a different nurse during the ultrasound, she would leave me feeling positive. But when Julie would call in the afternoon with my blood results and instructions, she left me feeling hopeless and like the other nurse had lied to me. No one lied to me, Julie was just not as empathetic. She also neglected to call in a very important prescription med, which resulted in hysterical crying on my part, frantic calls to a late night pharmacy and an hCG trigger shot in the bathroom of the pharmacy. I had a miscarriage early in my treatment with Penn and needed to have my hCG levels repeatedly drawn. Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat. I think that was what colored my feelings toward Julie.
She tried her best to be at my appointments. When she saw my name on the schedule, she requested that I wait a few minutes so she could do the fresh IVF transfer.
She is great. However, you need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates.
Monitoring appointments were all in the mornings which was convenient for me. The earliest appointment was at 7:45 so I was able to be in, out and at work almost on time. Thankfully my job had some flexibility.
Clarisa Gracia
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Brenda [a nurse at UPenn] was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
It's more like a doctor's office than a clinic. For example, I happened to go with a friend to another fertility clinic and it felt more comprehensively about getting you pregnant -- almost a marketing thing, really. Since Penn is a research hospital it was much more about --here's our latest research study, you can sign up, and just more of a doctor's office. I was more than happy to participate in the research though and appreciated being part of that, and I knew that my doctors were up on the latest research and treatments. I have heard that there are other clinics that are just focused on numbers, numbers, numbers, and they are potentially more aggressive with drugs etc, I don't know details on that, but I never felt that way at Penn and felt that I was part of a great health system and system of doctors, nurses and researchers who were contributing to the greater good and also getting us a baby. (Who is the best thing that's every happened! He is so awesome!)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
The nurse accessibility and care was very good. -- there are a lot of doctors in the practice, and I really liked pretty much all of them, but not a ton of consistency in who you saw, it just depended on the day you went in. At no point did I feel like a number rather than a human even though they clearly had a "process" but that made it more efficient I thought.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Efymow)
Brenda was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
I didn't spend a whole lot of time with Dr. Barnhart, but when I did he was very knowledgeable and informative -- he was kind of science-y, but I liked that because we were dealing with lots of scientific info, probability, and various medical and scientific choices we had to make. So I liked him. But he isn't the warmest, fuzziest doctor, and he only did some of my procedures due to scheduling.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor with a communicative bedside manner, he's probably not your doc. However, if you're interested in someone who knows the latest research, is really into statistics and facts, and has seen the latest treatments and tons of patients, that's his specialty (in my mind). I spent a lot more time in his personal office than I did in a patient/clinical room.
Describe the protocols Kurt Barnhart used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
He started with the least interventionist, IUI, but quickly recommended I consider switching to full IVF when our first attempts weren't successful. I think they expected, due to my numbers and my husband's previous experience, it to be more successful than it was the first time, but then when it wasn't he encouraged us to "step it up" and I was glad about that. He didn't seem focused on success in numbers, though -- he seemed focused on success with me as an individual in having a baby. He was thoughtful about how many embryos to put in, and he knew how to explain my choices at each step of the way and letting us know when there was really no right answer -- and when there sort of was a "right answer" if we wanted to up our chances of getting pregnant. I can't remember the specirics of my protocols -- I did lots of injections and they had me doing the progesterone shots for 10 full weeks after I got pregnant, in order to help the pregnancy succeed . . .
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Everything was covered under my health insurance and the process that I had to go through with it was very efficient and easy to navigate with the staff person working on it.
2009 - 2010
It [monitoring] was 100% a cattle call. Very very very long waits. Rushed in and out of ultrasounds with techs who were not caring at all (hard to take when you are paying out of pocket!)...I remember she [nurse at Penn Fertility Care] had to give me a Rhogam shot and do betas with me and it was an awful time and she was so kind to me.
2009 - 2010
He didn't seem to know my case very well or seem personally invested. Long waits, often didn't even see him though he was coordinating my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie)
I remember she had to give me a Rhogam shot and do betas with me and it was an awful time and she was so kind to me.
My biggest complaint: Though we kept trying to do things and they were NOT working (2 IVFs with the same protocol), they would not try another protocol with me. They did one blanket protocol for everyone. Uniqueness was not considered. Also, 8 of my eggs "died" in suspicious circumstances in the lab. I had dozens more eggs they said they couldn't retrieve. And then, they did the same protocol again (no changes) and cancelled a cycle on me. My E2 levels were through the roof. Yet still, for a 3rd IVF they would have recommended no changes! It's unbelievable. There was no innovation or attempt at a new way of looking at a case. On the positive side, I would say Dr. Sondheimer was careful (perhaps too much so) of my health and making sure I was safe which maybe other doctors did not do enough. I also was glad that causes for recurrent pregnancy loss were explored and there was a potential blood clotting issue.
If you are a basic, straightforward patient, he may be fine (I did get pregnant twice on IUI's though lost those) but if your case is unusual or out of the normal scope, this is not the office for you.
The Antagonist protocol. That's all they would do for IVF. Unless you were over 35 or PCOS, nothing else would be considered. They even met as a committee to discuss it. For IUI they did try Letrazole for me instead of Clomid as a previous clinic had done, and I got pregnant twice on it (though no success.)
It was 100% a cattle call. Very very very long waits. Rushed in and out of ultrasounds with techs who were not caring at all (hard to take when you are paying out of pocket!) Also they allowed children in the waiting area which was painful at the time.
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
[Clinic staff at UPenn-Market were] Overwhelmed and unavailable at times which caused undue stress to patients. The clinical was flexible with scheduling and the turn around time from initial visit to treatment was quick. Wouldn't advise a young patient to go here as my case wasn't considered to be as bad as others which I feel often the severity of my case was overlooked and I was often told your young so you have time
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Manigi was pleasant and cared about my goals
Nursing staff were kind but overwhelmed and could not provide individual care
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Manigi was very kind but over confident about the success of treatment due to my age. I did not have the intended result of pregnancy. She was familiar with endometriosis but I think my case was very complicated and I'm not sure she was fully aware of how to deal with my individual situation
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Ask a lot of questions about your treatment plan and next steps in the event treatment doesn't help
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Tubal check was the initial procedure to make sure my tubes were open followed by surgery was the initial treatment. I was first put on clomid and then moved to ivf
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
About $18,000
Describe Monica Mainigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Proper count if follicles I developed ovarian cyst during ivf treatment which were initially mistaken as follicles
Monica Mainigi
Phila - Market
[U Penn] Professional and clean. Typically appointments run on time. Only do ultrasounds and IUI's in the morning which is difficult for someone who doesn't work a traditional schedule...[Nurses] They are excellent. No one judged our relationship status or desire to expand our family. Everyone on the team is compassionate and optimistic for you! It's like having an extra 3-4 people crossing their fingers every month.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Always available to talk about steps, what to expect, when to change courses, and answer general questions.
Amazing! She is aware and sensitive to the financial costs of using donor sperm. She is optimistic that IUI will work but understand to our desire to have a baby soon; willing to compromise on the treatment plan. She is honest and caring and always available to answer question or explain something to us. She was very accommodating when my partner had to call into one of our first appointments due to a business trip.
Listen to Dr. Kalra and believe that she has your best interest in mind. The process can be very overwhelming and emotional.
Frequent ultrasounds and blood work for baseline and process tracking in each cycle.
We're lucky to have it all covered by insurance once meeting our deductible
Phila - Market
Strengths [for the nurse at Penn Fertility Care]: very detailed and showed compassion Weakness: at times it was difficult to speak to her...front desk office is in a main hallway which is not private and forces you to have a personal conversation in a public hallway. After an IUI, I did not get a follow up call from nurses or staff to discuss my next options or at least to check on me...$250 for iui...You may only see your doctor once and that’s it
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: location, clean, staff was very friendly and did show compassion Weakness: front desk office is in a main hallway which is not private and forces you to have a personal conversation in a public hallway. After an IUI, I did not get a follow up call from nurses or staff to discuss my next options or at least to check on me.
Dr. Shah spoke with compassion. She was very informative.
Strengths: very detailed and showed compassion Weakness: at times it was difficult to speak to her
Strengths: she showed lots of compassion. She was very thorough and I appreciated that about my initial visit. Weak: I wish I could have spoken to her to share some of my concerns including be given the option to have an ultrasound the day of my IUI. Since I suffer from PCOS my progress has always been a little slow so I believe my IUI may have been done too early. I did not get monitored after my IUI. In fact, the office never called and checked on me after my IUI. I was just instructed to call if I get a positive test. If I don’t then I would just call on the 1st day of my cycle.
You may only see your doctor once and that’s it
Letrozol day 3-7....then trigger shot.
$250 for iui
2011 - 2012
There were no notable weaknesses. It [U Penn] is a teaching facility so there were extra student involved but I didn't mind. Overall it's a great facility. Things were run very well. Scheduling, billing and treatment were simple.... I do not recall exact costs but know all was covered by insurance and I paid just $35 copay, plus $100 surgical copay. Three post surgical appts were also included.... Everyone was helpful and compassionate
2011 - 2012
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
There were no notable weaknesses. It is a teaching facility so there were extra student involved but I didn't mind. Overall it's a great facility. Things were run very well. Scheduling, billing and treatment were simple.
Very kind and always personally responded to calls ad questions
Everyone was helpful and compassionate
He was willing to listen to concerns and provide options for moving forward. He never pushed any one treatment. He answered questions personally, I was never referred to a nurse for concerns. He wad very reliable and supportive.
Be honest about your needs, expectations and ask questions. He's very willing to help you in whichever ways you think will be best for you.
I was put on the pill to ease surgery scheduling. I had a laparoscopy done to check for and treat endometriosis. I conceived naturally following the laparoscopy.
Didn't experience this.
Phila - Market
The one weakness I found was the responsiveness on the weekends as there were a few times I never received a call back from the on call staff [UPenn] even though I called various times. The strength is that the clinic was flexible for appointments.... The nurses have been great. The nurses I worked with directly were always very prompt at returning calls/messages and extremely helpful.... My first round of IVF was covered with my insurance.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The one weakness I found was the responsiveness on the weekends as there were a few times I never received a call back from the on call staff even though I called various times. The strength is that the clinic was flexible for appointments.
Dr. Sondheimer always took his time when speaking to myself and my husband. He genuinely seemed to care about our process and outcomes.
Overall I was very pleased with Dr. Sondheimer's care. He took the time to explain the process to my husband and I and made changes when necessary in order to get the best outcome. He took time to call me to check-in to see how I was doing when we did not get the outcome we were hoping for.
Ask questions.
My first round of IVF was covered with my insurance. I am currently in my second round of IVF and am expecting to have to pay for 1/2 of the cycle out of pocket.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [U of Penn] is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors.... Nurse Nia was very compassionate and respectable. Always checking in on patients and making sure they are receiving all necessary medication as well as being prepared for each procedures or testing.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors. Thank you for your services.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nia)
Dr.Kalra is very understanding and honest with all reports and options. She takes her time to go over all options during all visits. Thank Dr.Kalra for all of her services. Look forwards to continuing my fertility treatment with this office.
Dr.Kalra is very kind and understanding. She will assist you with whatever your concern may be.
Phila - Market
Wish they [U Penn] had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.... My insurance pays for most of my treatment. Considering IUI that will be a cost of around $500... [Nurse] Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love... They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Wish they had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.
They always call you by your name. They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love
Dr.Barnhart is very forward with you. I think that’s what I love the most. I have a heart disease and PCOS. Other doctor werent willing to work with me. Dr.Barnhart understand my heart disease and is giving me the best treatment possible.
He knows what he is doing. Just isn’t that heart warming, but if you are looking for someone very true and forward he is your guy.
Phila - Market
The clinic [University of Pennsylvania] seemed genuinely concerned with ensuring I had a good experience. Wait times weren't always short but they weren't terrible, and were quite good if you went first thing in the morning. The desk staff who checked me in each time were particularly lovely...I loved Erin and the nursing staff that supported me throughout my fertility processes. I spoke with Erin more than any doctor or anyone else at the clinic during my IVF cycle and she was absolutely wonderful.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic seemed genuinely concerned with ensuring I had a good experience. Wait times weren't always short but they weren't terrible, and were quite good if you went first thing in the morning. The desk staff who checked me in each time were particularly lovely.
Dr. Senapati always took time to clearly and thoroughly explain everything. She answered all my questions and even suggested and answered questions I didn't even think to ask. I felt she cared about my experience and outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: ERIN TREDINNICK)
Dr. Senapati is very dedicated, thorough, smart and clear. I always felt she was doing everything she could to ensure I made informed decisions, had good experiences, and felt supported by the practice. Her nursing team is also very supportive and helpful.
Trust the process.
The practice in general seemed very adverse to multiple babies, so they seemed happy I wanted to do genetic testing with just 1 normal embryo transfer.
3 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I wish my nurse [at UPenn] would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps...[Nurses] They remember you and get very involved with you. You feel like you're their only patient...I wish I did see her [Dr. Kalra] more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
3 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I wish my nurse would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps
She is always warm, always remembers me: I do see her when I'm there but usually half the appts
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin treddnick)
I wish I did see her more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
To trust your dr. I think a ton of people try to dictate their treatments.. doctors know best and if they are taking a slow approach it's for a reason
3 iuis and then ivf. For ivf she did long Lupron, honestly I'm not sure why!
So far insurance coverage
I'd love more insight on why a protocal was chosen for me
2011 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
[At Penn Fertility Care] we explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.
2011 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Edwards explained our situation and options throughout the process. He was compassionate but remained extremely professional. I felt safe, well informed and educated. He provided us the information we needed to make good decisions, based on our needs/goals.
Dr Edwards helped our family achieve our goals. He kept us well informed, took time to explain options, risks and odds. I always felt safe in his care.
Be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
We explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I had a very good personal relationship with my nurse, Brenda, who kept me up-to-date daily or whenever I had questions. Dr. Barnhart and the whole team at Penn Fertility care or wonderful. They did seem to know the details about my case, and we're always available to answer questions when needed. They were also very helpful with the financial aspects of our situation. Overall, it was a great team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E)
Her availability when I had any sort of questions whatsoever.
I really liked Dr. Barnhart. He had a kind way about him, and was obviously deeply involved in research as well, which I am a big fan of. I felt like he was on the cutting edge of his field. And he was very kind. I dealt on a day-to-day basis with his nurse, Brenda, who I loved equally as much. So together, they were a great team.
He's probably a little bit more research-oriented than some doctors. But very kind, and with a nice manner.
Phila - Market
Strength the office [UPenn] is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)... [Nurse] She was funny and polite . Some of the other staff didn’t return my call timely and I didn’t like that.... He [Dr. Barnhart] is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strength the office is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)
From first impression he was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions . I like him .
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Denmaree )
He is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.
Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
I don’t remember sorry
Around 9k
Describe Kurt Barnhart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.
Phila - Market
They [University of Pennsylvania] did not inform me of specifics regarding when to proceed with steps for a FET. I had to call on my own to get the wheels in motion and the nurse apologized that it was a mistake on their end.... Sometimes I feel like a number and I have to stay very on top of things to get calls back etc.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr butts is extremely caring and compassionate.
She is incredibly caring and compassionate. I was skeptical when I changed RE practices due to insurance reasons but I feel well cared for with dr butts as my doctor. She is extremely realistic but also optimistic and has given me hope.
She would treat you as if you are her family member. She's very invested in your fertility journey.
For IVF she used Lupron and follistim and menopur for the stim. She uses estrace and progesterone to prep for transfer.
I had full coverage for 2 egg retrieval and 2 fresh transfer. But a FET is 2500$
They allowed me to do a 2 embryo transfer for a FET after a failed single embryo fresh transfer.
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Penn staff was very good. Every doctor in the practice knew exactly what you were there for. They were gentle and kind and knew you were going through something stressful, and managed things appropriately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Marie Drinker)
She was so kind and gentle. She made her self available. The only flaw in the process was explaining sub-contanius injections
I think Dr. Sondheimer is one of the smartest doctors in the Phila area. I would have stayed there, if I had not moved.
ask questions, and listen carefully.