Genetic counseling: Offered
Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087
800-789-7366
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care to a friend?

2014 - 2019
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
My first cycle [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] was about $10,500. My second cycle was $5500 ( and $2000 for an additional frozen embryo transfer cycle). My third cycle was $8500. None of these prices included medications which were an additional $2500-$3500 each full cycle. There are also embryo storage fees that are about $250 every few months...Penn Fertility is competent, caring and responsive when there is a concern. They can be a less aggressive than I would prefer in their approach at times but can usually be convinced to try something when pushed.
2014 - 2019
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
She has called me from her personal cell number before when I was worried about a cycle and needed information and reassurance. She also called me back when she was on vacation when I was in the hospital having a preterm delivery and losing my baby at 20 weeks. She greets me with a hug when I have had a hard time or when she hasn’t seen me in a while.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E.)
Brenda treated me well and was willing to listen to my concerns. She also helped me to figure out the most cost effective way to purchase my medications.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
I have found Dr. Gracia to be intelligent, responsive and warm. She is generally quite receptive as well but there are times that I feel she could be a bit more open to a different idea or a less studied approach or intervention.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
She is a great RE and has always made me feel that she cared about my treatment and wanted me to have a baby. Be educated and direct about what you would like to try and she is often receptive.
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
For my first cycle an agonist protocol was used. I produced a lot of eggs but only had 1 left on day 5 to transfer. For my next 2 cycles antagonist protocols with human growth hormone (both freeze all and then frozen embryo transfers) were used and these were more successful (4 embryos and then 3 embryos to freeze).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
My first cycle was about $10,500. My second cycle was $5500 ( and $2000 for an additional frozen embryo transfer cycle). My third cycle was $8500. None of these prices included medications which were an additional $2500-$3500 each full cycle. There are also embryo storage fees that are about $250 every few months.
Describe Clarisa Gracia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
My doctor was willing to do either eSET or 2 embryo transfer depending on the situation and my preference.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Clarisa Gracia at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

PCOS, Unexplained
Our main nurse [at University of Penn Fertility Care] was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began)...We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is often fairly quiet and pretty efficient. There's free parking, although the lot is very busy/tight after the very early morning. All procedures must be done at the downtown office and procedures are done by whoever is on-call/working that day, not by your doctor. The nurses at the front desk never learn your name or get to know you. There are no discounts for procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
When my wife would go in for monitoring, she wasn't allowed to hear any results from her ultrasounds, she was told to just lie there and then wait for the results each afternoon. Blood draws were often stressful, conversations with the nurses felt impersonal and information was often unclear or left out, so that we had to do our own research and make suggestions or double-check protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Our main nurse was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began). She could be hard to get in touch with and did not always seem to know the answers to critical questions we asked about what to do at various points in the protocol
What specific things went wrong at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
How was your experience with Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
When we saw Dr Shah she would always let us share our questions and provided very detailed (with notes!) explanations of her answers and, at times, what would happen next in our treatment. Unfortunately, we only saw Dr Shah in the office twice (an initial consultation and a meeting before starting IVF). After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Choose Dr Shah because you're looking for a safe, researched-based practice that won't be aggressive and make sure you speak up and advocate for your own needs.
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
FSH / GNRH Antagonistic Protocol - the plan was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Retrieval & biopsy - $9,000; FETs $2,500 (these prices have now been updated & significantly increased)
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Our Dr strongly encouraged single embryo transfers, it didn't feel like there was an option for anything else
Radnor

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Divya Shah at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
After my fourth miscarriage, I had a D&E and sent the tissue away to be tested. Penn said that it would take two weeks and they would call with results. Two weeks has passed and no word from them. with all they deal with, you would think they would understand how much patients are waiting on results. I have even followed up with no response!...The four rounds of failed IUI cost me about $1000 out of pocket...while Penn has great nurses and doctors, some of their processes are delayed. Sometimes you need to pursue them for test results. I just think that when you'e involved in fertility treatments, communication is key, and perhaps Penn could be a little better. All of the staff is great, even when trying to get appointments. Kind and compassionate and helpful!
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I wish that they knew that while Penn has great nurses and doctors, some of their processes are delayed. Sometimes you need to pursue them for test results. I just think that when you'e involved in fertility treatments, communication is key, and perhaps Penn could be a little better. All of the staff is great, even when trying to get appointments. Kind and compassionate and helpful!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
After having two miscarriages on our own, the OBGYN pointed me towards the fertility clinic at Penn. When meeting with Dr. Kalra, she was kind and went over all aspects of tests that would be done and follow-up work that was needed. She wrote things out in a way that make it easy for a non-medical person to understand. Under her care, I went on to have two more natural miscarriages and she could not have been kinder during these times. She was compassionate and really felt for us. We have done IUI (with no pregnancies), but have not yet moved onto the IVF piece of it.
One of the main reasons I Stayed at Penn was because of the wonderful nursing staff, especially N.P., Kelly Lee. Had Kelly not stepped in and reviewed my chart, I most likely would have sought out a second opinion. The nurses are great and call with results and are so nice and answer any questions you may have! I cant say enough about the nurses here.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Kalra is a very kind and knowledgeable woman. We saw her after two natural miscarriages, and the OBGYN pointed us towards Penn to try and get some answers as to why it happened twice. Dr. Kalra sat down with us and mapped out the next steps and what blood work and tests were needed. She explained the process of pregnancy and why miscarriages happen from time to time. While under her care, my husband and I went on two have two more miscarriages and she could not have been more compassionate during that time. She really felt for us and it showed. During the course of treatment, often times you will see the nursing staff and not necessarily your doctor. When I did see Dr. Kalra, she was really great.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
I think it is important to ask questions. While she explained everything to us, asking for clarification or more detail can be very important. Often it is very emotional and overwhelming when receiving all of the details, so come prepared with questions!
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After receiving the initial testing back, Dr. Kalra told us to try on our own for a few months. We did and it resulted in a pregnancy that then ended in miscarriage (#3). We met with her again and she told us to try on our own. When nothing happened after 4 months, I started Clomid and timed intercourse. The following month we did Clomid and IUI, which failed. I then got my period too soon and thankfully a wonderful NP stepped in and viewed my chart and changed me to Letrozole. We then did three more IUI cycles, all which failed. During this time, I did not have any communication with Dr. Kalra and had it not been for the WONDERFUL NP, I most likely would have left Penn. Following the IUI failures, we met with Dr. Kalra again and were going to move towards IVF. However, I ended up getting a new job, and we put that on hold for the summer. Low and behold, I ended up pregnant again on my own, with yet another miscarriage (#4). Now we are awaiting results and another doctors visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The four rounds of failed IUI cost me about $1000 out of pocket.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Suleena Kalra at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

[University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care's] strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia...She [nurse] explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number...Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic’s strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia.
Dr. Shah was very personable. She gave her full attention to my husband and I, gave us all of the information, and answered all of our questions. She even illustrated and wrote notes on paper for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nurse was just as nice and knowledgable as Dr. Shah. She explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number.
Dr. Divya’s strengths include showing compassion, being detail oriented, knowledgeable, and thorough. I haven’t had any negative experiences with Dr. Divya. She explained what would happen every step of the way and also explained the results to all of our testing. She also explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us.
My advice to anyone would be to be prepared with questions. Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
We haven’t started any treatment as of yet, but she recommended IVF for us. We’ll be going over the details at our next appointment.
I haven’t completed treatment, but I believe IVF will cost about $15,000. Medications alone will cost a couple thousand and egg freezing will cost about $500 for 3 months (I believe).
She stated that for young couples, I believe under 35 years of age, she would recommend single embryo transfer, but I think it would ultimately be the patient’s decision.

2 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
the Clinic [University of Pennsylbania] has early hours they are fast and efficient and the office is clean. I go to the market st location so it is a little annoying having to park but they do validate your parking which is nice....The clinic is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions.... The IVF package did not include embryo freezing, testing, or a mov transfer.
Black or African-American, Other
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
the Clinic has early hours they are fast and efficient and the office is clean. I go to the market st location so it is a little annoying having to park but they do validate your parking which is nice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Barnhart was very knowledgeable and thorough. He was kind but direct. You could tell that he was passionate about his field and he wants to get you pregnant. After my failed fresh cycle he was supportive and just as eager to try again as I was.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Demaree)
Demaree is an ANGEL. I would have been lost with out her. She is compassionate, smart and organized. She managed my care and appointments and listened to me. I never felt like I was bothering her and I truly felt like she was in this with me !
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Barnhart was thorough and caring. The clinic is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions. I do feel like he was not that present for my cycles as I am sure he was involved behind the scenes managing everything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Know that he isn’t a fluffy guy, he is matter of fact and to the point which I appreciate
Describe the protocols Kurt Barnhart used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
My fresh cycle and retrieval cycle I was on a “high responder” protocol. My stim meds started out low and I used them for 9 days before trigger. I was only on progesterone for yhe transfer and it was not successful. For my frozen transfer I was on an antagonist protocol. I took Lupron during my leutal phase, got a cycle then started estrace, aspirin and started progesterone 6 days before transfer. Currently waiting to see if this was successful
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The IVF package did not include embryo freezing, testing, or a mov transfer.
Describe Kurt Barnhart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Barnhart was open to transferring 2 embryos after my failed fresh cycle.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

The nursing staff [Penn Fertility Care] have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system....Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections (which I have not had) cost $2000, and a round of IVF is $8000. This is relatively comparable to the costs I've seen at other clinics in this area with the exception of the IUI, which seems to be a bit pricier than other clinics nearby.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Even if weeks -- or, in one case, months -- go by without an appointment, Dr. Mainigi always cites specific details about my experiences. She maintains eye contact the whole time rather than looking at a screen. This suggests that she both takes detailed notes after each appointment and reviews her patients' charts carefully before each appointment. I have never before had a doctor who is that detailed and prepared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The nursing staff have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system.
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Mainigi is thorough, communicative, compassionate, and incredibly detail-oriented. During a really vulnerable time, she completely put my partner and me at ease. She knew so many details about my story during each of our conversations and was able to talk about my medical history in detail without even glancing at my chart. She is incredibly prepared for each appointment. She's also very empathetic and completely understands the delicate balance between emotional urgency and cost. Would recommend to anyone -- She's the best!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Provide her with as many details as possible, as she takes everything into consideration when creating an individualized plan. She's also incredibly honest and communicative, so you'll get thorough answers to your questions.
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After my initial testing (bloodwork, ultrasound), I had a hysteroscopy to evaluate whether or not I had a uterine polyp. Dr. Mainigi wanted to take this step after one of my ultrasounds because the alternative was to wait and do a second ultrasound weeks later -- which, in addition to not being efficient, wouldn't have enabled her to treat any polyps if she found them. Post procedure, she recommended that I begin IUI because she knew that I had already been trying for a long time and was eager to move forward as quickly as possible. She was very understanding when I delayed this by a couple of months after finding out that my insurance doesn't cover any fertility treatments, and supported my decision to try Clomid alone for two months. When that didn't work, we started the IUI process. I'm undergoing my first round now -- She generally recommends 3 rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I had a great insurance plan during my initial visits and hysteroscopy, so I only had to pay $10 copays. Under my new insurance, I've had to pay for everything. The Clomid costs about $16/month (for 10 pills). A round of IUI is $1000 and a round of IVF is $8000. I was also told that IUI with injections is $2000 but I haven't undergone this procedure and don't know very much about it. Those prices do not include associated prescriptions. The one injection for my IUI was around $35 under my insurance plan. I believe I paid around $100 for my most recent consultation.
Monica Mainigi
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

I have PCOS, and was put on letrozole protocol (days 4-8), as it is shown to be more effective than Clomid in PCOS. Given that we have the expense of donor sperm, Dr. O'Neill offered to do monitored cycles with trigger shots to optimize our timing for IUI insemination. She also offered to let us use home OPKs if we preferred to have a less invasive/clinical approach to conception as a lesbian couple without "proven infertility" (by insurance standards). We opted for the monitored cycles, but appreciated her sensitivity to our situation. We have not been successful in our first four cycles so far, and are in the TWW for our 5th.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic runs very efficiently for monitoring appointments in the morning. It would be nice if they had even earlier monitoring appointments available since so many of their patients work in healthcare fields and are likewise expected to be at work at 7 am. All of the clinical staff have been appropriate regarding our care as a same-sex couple, but some of the front desk employees consistently ask after "my husband" when I check in for appointments. One thing to be aware of is that children are allowed in the waiting area, which is understandable for couples trying to conceive a subsequent child, but can be painful for those of us struggling to conceive our first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Penn Fertility Care works on a group practice model, where the physicians rotate coverage for procedures, weekend coverage, etc. Despite seeing several providers for regular visits, Dr. O'Neill has gone out of her way to be my provider for significant moments in my course of treatment, even when she was not the provider-of-the-day. Also, my partner has not been able to make it to many of my appointments, but Dr. O'Neill always thinks to ask how she is doing and how we are feeling in the fertility care process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy has been available to answer any questions along the way and to clarify timing for treatments. Any questions she cannot answer she passes up the chain to Dr. O'Neill.
How was your experience with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. O'Neill has a warm and engaging demeanor. She is thorough and accessible in her explanation of options and procedures. She is understanding of the financial pressures of using donor sperm and makes sure my wife and I are fully on board with the plan at each step of the process. I appreciate her careful balance between expressing optimism and hope, and being realistic about the process of fertility care. I would recommend her without any hesitation to any of my friends or family members in need of fertility care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Be open and honest about your needs and desires, and never shy away from asking questions about your treatment. Dr. O'Neill will truly partner with you in this process.
Describe the protocols Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
IUI cycles are $1000 plus meds
Describe Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

13 Eggs Frozen
Penn is a busy clinic. Because of that there is a whole team involved in your care and you may not see the same doctor for every appointment or procedure. I had two other doctors for two of my retrievals,and both were excellent. One weakness, if I had to name one, was that it was rather difficult obtaining medical records when they were requested from the office. They outsource to a company called MRO, but this company did not send the complete records that I had requested.
13 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Butts took the time to review my complicated medical history, including ovarian cyst removal surgery, prior to developing my individualized treatment plan. She was always focused on the details of my specific case rather than treating me with a generic standard protocol and approach to treatment.
Amy was very compassionate. Whenever she would call with results she would focus on the positive “growth is happening!” and “don’t worry, we will get some eggs this time” which I needed at times when I feared the treatment would not work on me as a poor responder.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Butts was extremely thorough when developing my treatment protocol. She requested surgery records from my OBGYN and used all the information gathered to give me predictions of my chances of success with retrieval cycles and my overall chances of conception in general. As a patient who tends to worry, Dr. Butts was able to assuage my fears with evidence based information and years of experience. I truly felt that we were in this journey together and that she would be willing to do whatever possible to help me achieve success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
As with any doctor, develop a list of questions and feel free to ask for explanations as often necessary. As a difficult to manage case, I had many concerns along the way, but Dr. Butts was always responsive and able to provide answers to my questions.
Describe the protocols Samantha Butts used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Initially we tried estrogen pill priming, then a course of daily Gonal-F and Menopur with ganirelix added at the end of the cycle. The outcome was initially as expected. For the next cycle, Dr. Butts suggested a different protocol with estrogen priming, then twice daily micro dose Lupron and daily Gonal F. We saw improvement in results the second time, which really boosted my confidence is Dr. Butt’s ability to alter the protocol using information gained from previous cycles. We used he second protocol for the third cycle as well which was successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
All costs were paid out of pocket. Fees for an egg freezing cycle were extremely reasonable. Penn gets a drug discount that is passed on to the patient. I paid 1/3 the cost of medications compared to what I would have paid at another clinic, saving me thousands of dollars. Of course I would have paid full price is necessary, but getting the same medications for less was a nice benefit.
Describe Samantha Butts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I have not gotten to this stage yet.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Samantha Butts at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Penn Medicine has multiple locations which is nice and you can go to any of them. My primary location usually ran pretty well on schedule for blood work/ultrasound appointments in the morning when prepping for egg retrieval or IUI. The space was light and bright and always clean. The downsides are that many of their staff need to be trained with regard to compassion. The financial person was extremely condescending and really didn't seem like she understood how emotional the infertility experience can be. She didn't respond in a timely manner, didn't get an IUI request submitted on time causing us to have to cancel and generally wasn't very nice. Additionally, there as never any discussion of mental health, how I was feeling or any suggestion for counseling. I was lucky enough to already being care with a trusted provider but many people are not and that should have been discussed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Edwards was always warm and positive. He often ran late for his appointments but also took as much time as you needed with him once you were in the office with him. I appreciated his optimism and generally jolly demeanor.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
I liked working with Dr. Edwards up until our miscarriage. We went to an ultrasound with Dr. Edwards where he told us he pregnancy wasn't viable and without what even felt like 2 minutes to recover from that news he started to discuss options for miscarriage. It felt too soon and also his super positive happy demeanor felt very at odds with having to deliver bad news.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Edwards is very much a cheerleader however we had to pursue asking a lot of questions and ask about options for what to change when we had multiple transfers with either no result or chemical pregnancy, he was find just keeping doing what we were doing without adjusting anything to help improve outcomes. Finally after we asked if there was anything that could be changed he brought up some other options.
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
We did two double embryo transfers with Dr. Edwards. The first was just standard care but we had already had one negative result from a fresh transfer, high-grade embryo and one frozen high-grade embryo. The first double transfer results in nothing. After that, and much discussion, he decided to push the transfer date back by a day for the second double transfer. That resulted in an early miscarriage at around 7 weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
We paid for both transfers out of pocket with Dr. Edwards, both were $2,500 each which we knew up front. As I mentioned in another section, I really was not impressed with the financial person whatsoever. She was cold and unprofessional, didn't follow through on some requests and talked to us like we were children.
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
He was comfortable transferring two embryos after we had been through two transfers with no positive outcome.
Phila - Walnut St

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Scott Edwards at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

The positives of Penn is that if you work there, the insurance coverage is fantastic.... On the other side of the coin, the process for getting "bad news" isn't great.... Additionally, the weekend appointments sometimes ran 90 minutes behind for a simple blood draw and/or ultrasound. I also very much felt like a dollar sign. The financial person was entirely unprofessional and had no empathy at all for us.... I would never recommend them to anyone looking for care in Philly.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The positives of Penn is that if you work there, the insurance coverage is fantastic. We received 6 covered IUIs, 2 retrievals and three transfers all through my insurance plan. They also have several locations and you can go to any one you want depending on whats most convenient for you. Most of the time, for the early morning blood draw/ultrasound visits leading up to IUI or retrieval, they are mostly on time. On the other side of the coin, the process for getting "bad news" isn't great. Usually the ultrasound tech just says everything is fine but if it's not then they literally don't say anything and on the way out say "the doctor will come in and speak to you." It just was very anxiety provoking. Maybe this is true of all clinics, I don't know, but I really didn't like how it was handled. Additionally, the weekend appointments sometimes ran 90 minutes behind for a simple blood draw and/or ultrasound. I also very much felt like a dollar sign. The financial person was entirely unprofessional and had no empathy at all for us. Even though we had mailed a check which had not yet been received she basically threatened to cancel our embryo transfer if we didn't pay the bill for our embryo storage. We had literally received the bill earlier that week and mailing a check was the only option for payment. It wasn't an issue with being able to pay or not wanting to pay - they just literally hadn't received it yet. I never really felt connected to my care team or like anyone really cared about us (for the most part) and I was under their care for almost 3 years.
Dr. Kalra was thorough but we never felt she was warm or like she really had time for us. If I had a question that required speaking to her, I often felt like I was bothering her. She also sprung the need for ICSI on us on the morning of my retrieval (while I was gowned up and waiting for my IV placement) and it didn't really feel like she took the time to explain why she changed her mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I worked primarily with Dawn during the course of my treatment. Up until the end she was very helpful. Every time there was a negative result, she was right there working with me to schedule a follow up, and keep on the horse for next time. The main issue is take is that after my last transfer (which did result in positive rising HCG levels) but ultimately ended in miscarriage after the 6-week ultrasound, Dawn knew we didn't have any embryos left and also knew we weren't in a position to continue with more treatment at that time (after 6 IUIs, 2 retrievals and 6 transfers). The day we found out at the ultrasound that it wasn't viable I emailed later saying we were going to wait and see if the miscarriage would happen naturally but also asked her to check on the insurance coverage for the anesthesia for a D&C. She did not answer my email. 2 weeks later I finally followed to up to say that it had happened and i was fine. She responded that my message must have been lost by the surgical team and that was it. No sympathy, no apology for not responding and certainly no push to come back in for another follow up. That really made me feel like a major dollar sign (or lack there of) with Penn Fertility Care and one of the main reasons I would never recommend them to anyone looking for care in Philly.
I often felt like I was bothering her when I asked questions. It's clear she was busy but also I was a patient of hers for a long time and it really never felt like we made a connection. It always felt rushed and like she was talking to a child. I work in women's health and reproductive health research, I understand a lot more because of my line of work and it still felt like she dodged some questions when I asked about more scientific or specific things.
You might want to wok with Dr. Kalra is you really don't want anything sugar-coated. We found her bedside manner to be cold and not sympathetic for two people who are trying to keep hope alive after a lot of failure and much heartache. Ultimately, this is why I asked to be reassigned to another doctor within the practice.
I did 6 medicated (clomid/letrozole) rounds and IUI before we were approved for IVF. All were negative. I went throw two egg retrieval rounds with her. We were lucky enough to have insurance coverage so we asked that she be as aggressive as possible because we didn't want to waste the coverage. She said she "was" but then after our first retrieval all embryos arrested after 5 days. The next time around she changed the medication, added in a course of HGH and we ended up with 6 embryos after 6 days of development. I did one fresh transfer which was negative and then one additional frozen transfer with her which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that point my husband and I both felt we didn't want to work with her anymore and asked to switch to a different, warmer doctor within the clinic.
I was very lucky in that we had 6 IUIs, 2 retrievals and 2 transfers covered by our insurance. We had to pay for ICSI out of pocket as well as for embryo preservation. Those costs were reasonable but also weren't totally disclosed to us up front. We didn't realize that certain things were covered by insurance and others were not. ICSI was decided on the day of our retrieval so we were hit with a bill later which we were not expecting. It was okay for us but I could imagine for many couples it would not be.
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
She was very set on eSET but this was also preferred by my insurance so we did follow through with two single transfers with her.

IUI, 1 IVF
The Penn fertility nursing staff is highly variable. Some are very organized and compassionate, but mistakes occurred because different nurses will call with results and not have an understanding of specific cases. I frequently had to chase down results and information. One time I drove out for an hour to a specialty pharmacy just to find out that the prescription had not been sent in. These issues are due to organizational challenges around care coordination.
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Penn Fertility will always have a lot of patients because some large employers in the Philadelphia area cover services there. It is a well-respected program and most of the physicians I interacted with are excellent. However, the clinic does not care at all about patient satisfaction or patient experience. The financial coordinators are particularly difficult to work with - they are rude, don't return calls, and are unwilling to help unless they are chasing you down for a bill. If this clinic is the only one covered by your insurance, you will likely get what you need. But if you are paying out of pocket, I would think about going elsewhere.
Dr. Butts did not spend time getting to know me. She had poor knowledge of my medical history, and in communications would recount factually incorrect information about my history, my current medications, and my plan.
Dr. Butts is knowledgeable and well-intentioned. She is flexible, and was willing to change my plan based on new information. But either she is pulled in too many different directions or she does not have sufficient time to spend with patients. I felt like I was a burden to her through my care cycle. She would express exasperation when faced with questions - rather than viewing patient questions as an opportunity to clarify and solidify the plan, she was defensive and vague with her responses. She expressed confidence that she knew my case very well, but frequently brought up factually incorrect information related to the medications I should have been taking and my medical history. She was difficult to reach and often unavailable. She did not express compassion for miscarriages and other challenges that I faced during my time in her care. I did not feel that she truly cared about or was invested in my fertility outcomes.
I would recommend for patients of Dr. Butts to be prepared to advocate for themselves.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Monitoring appointments were convenient with relatively short wait times.
Approximately $5,000 out of pocket costs with insurance coverage including required mock transfer (out of pocket only), medications, and co-pays/deductibles.
Phila - Market

Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments.... What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times. It has resulted in a longer amount of time that we've been in treatment, which may not be for everyone depending on how long they've already been trying. But it's kept our treatments within the window of what is mostly covered by my insurance which meets our financial needs at this time.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments. Additionally, they know that we drive over an hour each way to our appointments and make every effort to give me the first appointment slot so that my work day isn't interrupted significantly. They are reassuring and answer even some of the simplest of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan is the NP who is the primary on my case. She's just fantastic - even though we're in our sixth round of Clomid treatment, she has walked me through the steps every time and hasn't assumed I know what to do because I've done it before. She returns my phone calls within the same day and even at appointments where I'm in and out of the office before she comes in, she still calls me in the same day to check in and make sure I'm feeling ok with where things are.
When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done. Once we had those results, we were presented with two options - continue trying Clomid or move onto IVF. Given our current financial situation, it was a blessing to hear that Clomid was still a viable option for us. Since that first consultation I've seen Dr. Shah twice more. Each appointment she takes the time to explain to me in very simple ways what is going on in my body and how that impacts my fertility. She's patient and willing to explain things multiple times to make sure I feel comfortable with our plan. She's the best person we could have guiding us through this process at this time.
It took us over a month between when we initially called for an appointment and when we were able to schedule one, so I'd consider calling early. I also don't see her at every appointment, but have been able to (and encouraged by the nurses) schedule other appointments with her if I need to.
I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI. IUI isn't going to increase our chances all that much more and because it isn't covered by my insurance, she doesn't think it's something we necessarily need to consider. This treatment combination has produced one strong follicle in 4 of the 5 cycles we've completed. We had no reaction in the last cycle which caused us to take a break for the summer. We just resumed last week and are in the middle of a sixth Clomid cycle now.

2014 - 2018
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
This clinic [U of Penn] has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great.
2014 - 2018
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
This clinic has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great. They require IVF education sessions before beginning a cycle, which is really helpful for getting questions answered about the process in general and what to expect. At the Market Street location, there is street parking, but there is also a garage and they will validate your parking so it's only $5, which is great for Philadelphia! I have not been to the other 2 locations. The only weakness that I can report is that your primary doctor may not be the one doing all the procedures. They do have fellows there who are training, but they are well-supervised by the attending physicians.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer and his nurse would personally call me back when I called with questions. He was so incredibly kind, especially after my first miscarriage, which was before I was in treatment with him. When I had to leave the practice due to insurance changes and a move out of the area, he called to tell me that he would always be there to support me in what I needed, and that he would love to keep in touch about life, good news, and my professional career (I'm a physician). I never felt rushed with him, and he made sure I felt cared for at a very vulnerable time in my life.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Madeline)
Madeline was the best! She fully explained everything and called me daily with updates to my medications and treatment plans. The rest of the nurses with whom I interacted in the office were also great. They were all very friendly and helpful.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer is very kind and compassionate. He takes the time to fully understand your story and your goals. I felt like I was very prepared for all of my procedures (HSG, IUI, egg retrieval), and knew I was in good hands. After my first miscarriage, he called multiple times to see how I was doing, both physically and mentally. I never felt like he was rushing me out of his office, and he treated me like family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Ask every question you have! Write them down and take your list with you. He will take all the time he needs to answer them.
Describe the protocols Steven Sondheimer used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did a stimulation protocol as follows: 1. Lupron for 10 days 2. Start Gonal-F 3. Add Menopur 4. hCG trigger shot I had monitoring appointments daily during stimulation. I have PCOS, so there was a slight concern of OHSS. My doctor retrieved 23 eggs, 19 of which fertilized. 8 of those matured, 5 were frozen on Day 5, and 3 were frozen on Day 6. I don't recall the exact grading, but my doctor assured me that they only ever froze embryos they thought would be successful as FET's.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I was very fortunate to have insurance that covered fertility treatments entirely. I paid copays for my appointments. The embryo storage fee I believe was $550 for the initial freeze + 3 months, and then $225 billed quarterly after that.
Describe Steven Sondheimer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I did not have an embryo transfer yet, but my doctor usually recommends single embryo transfer, because transferring 2 doesn't significantly increase your chance of pregnancy, and also to avoid the risk that comes with carrying multiples.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Steven Sondheimer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous...I was always called by my doctor or my nurse with results, instructions, etc. They always made me feel like they were taking a personal interest in my case.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
They are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
I would receive update phone calls from my nurse Dawn whenever Dr Butts was unable to call me herself. She was conscious of the hours I worked and always called at a reasonable time. She knew I wanted all the details and results of any tests or labs done. She was able to answer any questions I had and was knowledgeable about my case throughout the process.
Dr Butts wants me to have success. She listens to my questions/concerns/needs and has always agreed not to give up until I felt I was finished. When everything we had tried wasn’t working, she would consult with colleagues and come up with a new plan. She makes every effort to be the one to perform all of my procedures, and calls me personally to discuss any outcome or treatment plan.
Try to research everything you can to find out what’s going on with your body. And don’t be afraid to have opinions or suggestions and stick up for yourself if you feel something isn’t right.
I did 3 IVF cycles using a combination of lupron, menopur and follistim. I have low AMH/DOR and a thin lining. I was only able to produce 9 eggs on my best cycle, and 4 eggs on my worst. Those 3 cycles resulted in 2 total embryos that were frozen for later FETs.
Costs were minimal because I work in that health system and my insurance covered nearly everything in network. Once I hit my IVF insurance cap I had to pay $5k-$8k on remaining meds.
My doctor was willing to transfer multiple embryos if the quality wasn’t great. But in my case I only had 2 to work with so we did 2 separate single embryo transfers.
Phila - Market

Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic [UPenn-Market] as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.... The charges associated with my husband's TESE were extremely unclear. We got multiple bills that we were not expecting and they do not inform you about costs associated with sperm storage.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson was very thorough and honest about our prognosis. He answered all of our questions and we never left appointments feeling confused or unsure of what to expect. We never had a hard time getting a hold of him directly and he called my husband numerous times regarding procedures, appointments, etc. I wish all of our doctors communicated like he does!
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson's biggest strength is his communication. We felt like he was genuinely invested in our care and made every effort to ensure that our other fertility specialists were aware of our needs. He was compassionate and called my husband before and after each procedure.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Don't be afraid to call his office to speak to him directly! His office staff was great about helping us get in touch with him.
Describe the protocols Puneet Masson used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Dr. Masson performed 2 TESEs for my husband and he recommended that he take Ubiquinol, Vitamin D and Ester C for a few months prior to the procedure. The first time, my husband was not aware of these recommendations but the TESE did yield viable sperm. He DID take the recommended supplements before the second TESE, which yielded sperm of approximately the same quality as the first time. So I can't say whether or not the supplements helped, but both procedures did yield useable sperm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Puneet Masson
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Puneet Masson at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

All staff [Upenn- Market] is very friendly and willing to answer any questions....My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing....Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was. Ask questions about what is your next step. The wait time is under 15-20 minutes. The staff is very friendly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Senapati explained the entire process in great detail. If you have a question, my nurses got back to me the same day. When I went in to see my doctor or for blood work and sonogram I was seen within 15-20 minutes. All staff is very friendly and willing to answer any questions.
My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing. After my eggs were retrieved she called and gave me updates.
How was your experience with Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
When I first went to see Dr Senapati I didn't know what to expect. She explained all the procedures such as IUI and IVF in great detail. I believe she could come off a little more compassionate as some of the other doctors I've met in the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Senapati throws a lot of information at you at once. Make sure you bring your questions and you take down notes.
Describe the protocols Suneeta Senapati used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I began birth control for a few weeks and then went on 10ml of lupron. On the second day of my period I had a baseline ultrasound to check my ovaries and lining. I started injections (5ml lupron in the morning and 375ml Gonal F in the evening). I had bloodwork and ultrasounds to check my hormone levels and follicle development 4 days later and my dose changed to 5ml Lupron, 300 Gonal F and 150 menopur for the rest of the days. I took my HCG trigger shot on day 11 and had my egg retrieval on day 13 (36 after my trigger shot.) I sent my embryos out for PGS testing and i'm waiting on the results. I don't know the strategies behind or rational because I just did what the nurse told me to do.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
From June 2017 until now $62,567 in medical expenses not including prescription drugs. I still have to do the IVF transfer after the PGS results come in.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Suneeta Senapati at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

[UPenn is] Organized and caring!! I always felt and feel important to them. I have never felt like a number!! They are prompt and informative. The financial people are also amazing at helping navigate you through the insurance coverage you might have and fee schedules!!... They [monitoring appts] were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
My doctor and the clinic always made me feel like my feelings, questions and requests were extremely important. I never felt like I was a number in Dr. Shah’s eyes!
Always willing to listen, respectful, knowledgeable and caring!! They all go above and beyond the call of duty.
She is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
Come prepared with your questions and have an understanding of the process. I feel like having a handle on things and knowing what to ask shows that you are ready to make informed decisions and that you are completely invested in the process. She will explain and re-explain anything you don’t understand. She will give you realistic expectations and she will guide you toward the best options for your specific situation!
I did two iuis with her using an antagonist protocol, then we did and hsg which showed I more than likely have a blocked right tube. We tried a microdose Lupron ivf protocol which never led to a retrieval and was cancelled on cycle day 13 after no growth. I am currently in the tww after a succeful ivf cycle called the estrogen patch protocol and an antagonist protocol.
They were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
I have insurance coverage to a certain capped amount, so I only paid a copay for dr visits and for donor sperm related costs. Medication coverage limits were reached so I pay all Meds out of pocket.
Because of my low amh and my age, we decided to transfer two eggs to give me the best chance of a positive pregnancy test. I completely agree.
Radnor

Be prepared to acknowledge that the office is run much differently than most other clinics because UPenn is a teaching hospital. Once I figured this out, it became much less stressful. You will be on hold a lot. You might have to follow-up with the nursing staff. If you miss a call, it's a huge pain to get the team back on the line. Having said that, Dr. Shah ALWAYS called me back in the same day that I asked to talk directly to her and there is ALWAYS an on-call doctor that you can reach (even at 3am). You just have to know that Dr. Shah is managing your care and that every single doctor at UPenn is fantastic, as well. I never had concerns about my care, it was just annoying the way their communication system is.
Please note that many of the nurses mentioned in other reviews are no longer at Penn. There have been a few wonderful new nurses (Christine and Dawn) who are excellent at relaying information, call back promptly and are kind and compassionate. Whenever I am there, everyone say hello to me and remembers me. I can reach Dr. Shah whenever I want to speak with her directly.
Dr. Shah is excellent at communicating what's going on. She breaks things down for "non-science people" and will re-explain something as much as you want. She is kind, compassionate and has been rooting for us since day 1. She is open to my concerns and suggestions (one example is that I wanted to try a natural FET instead of a medicated cycle). She explained the pros and cons of each and ultimately let me decide. This is just one example of many where she has helped me make a decision.
Antagonist protocol for egg retrieval (BCP, Follistim, Menopur, Ganirellex). For transfers BCP, Lupron, Estrace, PIO, but ultimately what worked was a natural FET with only Crinone.
The clinic follows the national recommended guidelines for embryo transfer. Due to my age, we transferred 1 embryo each time. Dr. Shah never pushed me to transfer more than 1 and I never asked to.
PCOS, Unexplained
I love the staff at Penn. Going through this for as long as I have, seeing the girls (Angie, Susan, Aleah) is nice. They’re familiar. They’re professional. They make me feel safe in a very hard situation....Strengths - Always on time with appointments, in and out. And they always provide fast, accurate feedback. Negatives- IVF is too expensive:( for something some of us need to have - our only hope - it’s disheartening to know I can’t afford the one thing that I need.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Shah was very kind and very honest. She recognized how hard this is and always tried to remain positive but gave us her honest opinions.
She was very empathetic and clearly knowledgeable. My only negative is that she was more cautious than I would have liked, after 22 cycles all negative tests- I’ve learned I would’ve like to be more aggressive a year ago.
She will do whatever you choose - so push if you feel like you’re not being aggressive enough with your treatment.
I did the first 8-10 cycles taking letrozole and times intercourse. We moved to letrozole and IUI because that did not work. Due to my PCOS, ovulation was unclear so we introduced ovidrel shots as well. I reacted fine to all of this, the 2.5 mg of letrozole day 3-7 just made me a little more emotional than usual. Then we moved to gonal-f injectables with IUI. This cycle was longer because we started on too low of a dose. At this point we are back to monitoring with oral meds and times intercourse while saving for the inevitable (IVF).
My insurance has covered everything except the gonal-f to date. IVF begins at $8,500. PGS testing is an additional $6,000 and meds between $2k and $5k.
Dr. Shah does not perform multiple embryo transfer to my knowledge.

PCOS, Unexplained
After a couple of failed letrozole IUIs, I tried a few rounds of clomid IUI [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care]. When that didn't work, I added injectables (Follistim). All of those were with Ovidrel trigger. After round 9, I moved to IVF using Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, and Novarel trigger...All have this has been with donor sperm, as my partner is another woman...She [nurse] always calls me when she says she will, and always answers all of my questions. I feel I am in good hands.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
They are very efficient. They see a LOT of patients, so you may not get as much time with any particular provider as you might want. You will meet a lot of different doctors. I like all of them, and have had a very good experience. But if you are looking for a more homey atmosphere or touchy feely experience, it's not the place for you. Also it is super convenient to my work-- this is probably the #1 important thing to me, since I have to go so often.
The practice itself can be a little overwhelming, in terms of the number of patients and providers-- so in that way sometimes I feel like a number. But Dr. Sondheimer puts a lot of personal thought into every stage of care, and is both flexible and direct with his opinions. I truly feel like he cares, even though I haven't yet become pregnant.
She always calls me when she says she will, and always answers all of my questions. I feel I am in good hands.
He is a caring man who has been in this field for a very long time. He is good at direct communication, and I feel that I am in the hands of an expert. He makes himself available as much as possible, and when he is not able to he makes sure I am in good hands with his colleagues. He sometimes seems rushed, but he is always concentrating on me.
Ask all your questions, even the very minute details. And be prepared to not see him all the time.
After a couple of failed letrozole IUIs, I tried a few rounds of clomid IUI. When that didn't work, I added injectables (Follistim). All of those were with Ovidrel trigger. After round 9, I moved to IVF using Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, and Novarel trigger. My retrieval is tomorrow. I have 7 follicles right now. We discussed switching to IUI but Dr Sondheimer didn't recommend it. I am hoping for at least a few embryos. All have this has been with donor sperm, as my partner is another woman.
My insurance covered everything for IUIs except for Ovidrel ($35), and donor sperm washing ($150). For IVF most things have been covered. I think genetic testing (PGS) will be around $1850
He has a strong preference for only transferring 1 frozen embryo at a time. If I do a fresh transfer, he will put in 2.
Phila - Market
the Penn nursing staff is great for bloodwork and US. you receive call about your results...The clinic are clean. They will not transfer your medical records to new practice. so try to get all records when you are their patient. It is well run clinic as it is part of Penn fertility care. They run many centers in Philadelphia region, so you can go to Market st, Wash. Sq and also in Radnor. Wait time at clinic can be long and weekend lab work is only done in Market st. location.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
In the beginning when I consulted her for irregular periods and not getting pregnant, she quickly jumped to conclusion that I had PCOS. Later after my blood work hormones results came, she changed her initial diagnosis to DOR (I had low AMH). She did not went further in understanding the root cause of my irregular periods and wanted to start Clomid asap. I did 3 cycles of Clomid with timed intercourse. During all 3 cycles, I was seen by her junior staff and she never contacted me and talked about the failed cycles or trying other medications. After 3 Clomid cycles, she directly wanted to jump to IVF and when I told her that I would need more time, she lost all her interest in me. It felt as if she was trying to push me to do IVF and when I pushed back, she was not amused. After 6 months, I went back to her to get opinion on what next steps we should take to get pregnant, she was not interested at all to take our case owing it to loss AMH and importantly we went for a second opinion to another doctor (which she did not liked). In my opinion she took things personally, rather then helping her patient in getting pregnant. Also I felt like a number, she had no good bed side manners.
Dr. Kalra, was great in describing you the basics of how hormones talk to ovaries, egg are produced etc. But she is not interested in listening to your concerns. She would like to push her agenda on you for treatment. I did not like her approach of the way she treats her patients. She can be more compassionate.
She is doctor who runs by numbers, I mean that they want to have good success rates and will take only patients that they think will have better IVF success rates. So if you have DOR, other complications, I will suggest to stay away for her. She will not ask you to do some tests like HSG, hystroscopy etc which at times could be helpful in diagnosing the problem and prevent you from going towards IVF. As I said she wants to IVF and for that she doesnot need fallopian tubes and uterus etc. So stay away from her practice if you want to find diagnosis to your infertility/DOR.
3 cycles of Clomid (100mg) and timed intercourse. No rationale, just trying if it works
was covered by insurance
Phila - Market

The NP [at UPenn-Radnor] assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.... I felt very out of touch with my own care due to almost never speaking with my doctor. I would speak with a new nurse every day (someone unfamiliar with me) regarding my lab results and medication adjustments.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I get the impression that this clinic may be more concerned with their statistics than with their patients. There are about a dozen doctors and in my time there, I saw every single doctor once for one procedure or another. After over a year at the clinic, I still felt like a new patient.
Dr Shah was compassionate and I really felt that she was invested in our care. She called us whenever we got bad news and to give her best wishes when we decided to switch clinics. We didn’t get the outcome we had hoped for so we were eager to get some new ideas by switching clinics, but leaving Dr Shah was bittersweet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan Tronicelli)
The NP assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.
Dr Shah is genuine and compassionate and although we rarely saw her, we felt like she was monitoring us closely from afar. She didn’t do any of my procedures and I think that played a part in feeling like a number and not a patient at this clinic.
Trust her and don’t be afraid to ask questions!
I was on a high-responder protocol. I was on Follistim 150 daily to start. Eventually added in Ganirelix and menopur. Eventually we attempted HGH because of a cycle that resulted in poor quality embryos, howevery retrieval was cancelled.
We paid separately for the egg retrieval ($12,000), FET ($2,500). PGD was paid directly to the lab and meds were separate. I must also say that the Financial coordinator is extremely unhelpful! We were better off googling. At my first meeting with her, I asked her what options there were for paying (do people ever take out loans, are there assistance programs, any opportunities for discounted meds, etc) and she looked at me like I had 12 heads.
We got the lecture about risks of multiples to the nth degree. I was told I would be the next octomom if we transferred two embryos!
Radnor

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Strengths [for UPenn]: all staff I met with were kind and compassionate, remembered me when I had appointments even after some time off, and held friendly conversations. Also, their pricing is much more reasonable than other area clinics. Weaknesses: As a result of being such a large clinic, there were times that the level of care didn’t feel personalized, and didn’t include out of the box thinking. I think there could often be a lot of assumptions that the patient knows more than they do. Advice: arm yourself with information and questions before you go in, and continue to advocate for yourself and for more information. They are always responsive when you ask, but if you don’t ask, they won’t tell you.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: all staff I met with were kind and compassionate, remembered me when I had appointments even after some time off, and held friendly conversations. Also, their pricing is much more reasonable than other area clinics. Weaknesses: As a result of being such a large clinic, there were times that the level of care didn’t feel personalized, and didn’t include out of the box thinking. I think there could often be a lot of assumptions that the patient knows more than they do. Advice: arm yourself with information and questions before you go in, and continue to advocate for yourself and for more information. They are always responsive when you ask, but if you don’t ask, they won’t tell you.
She always remembered me and spoke to me kindly even if it had been a while since I saw her, and even when the news wasn’t good.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
Always very nice/compassionate, but also seemed very rushed any time we spoke on the phone, which is usually when I had questions.
She is always very kind and took the time to answer all my questions, especially when I had bad results. I have since learned that I didn’t always get all the details I would have needed, and I think she was less inclined to think outside the box regarding m case (i.e. taking supplements, knowing my hormone levels and what those meant), but she was a great person and I think for more cut and dry cases, she is fabulous.
Read up about infertility before you go in and ask her all the questions you have regarding things like antral follicle count, hormone levels, etc., so you can track them and also understand where you fit. Chances are she has the info but she doesn’t always share it unless you ask.
After a few Clomid/IUI cycles where many were canceled because my right ovary was working but my right tube had been removed, we moved onto IVF. The first protocol was the high dose protocol of Gonal F and Menopur with a Lipton primer. It was canceled due to poor response. My second cycle was the Lipton flare protocol. We went to retrieval expecting 2 eggs but the one follicle was empty and the other fell apart overnight. I have never been pregnant. Since then, I had my endometriosis removed and have read about low stimulation protocols working better in patients with DOR. I spoke to her about that and she didn’t agree and said donor eggs would be my best bet. She may be right, but I’m not ready to give up on myself yet, so I am switching clinics.
IUI was covered by insurance, so I’m not sure if that. One complete IVF cycle - $8,000 plus approx $4K in meds
N/A - I never had an embryo to transfer
Phila - Walnut St

Penn Fertility Care is a huge, efficient practice. Almost everyone I encountered was very warm and kind, but it did mean that almost every visit involved a different practitioner who wasn't familiar with me and my history. My doctor was always available to me by phone, and I knew she was always making the key decisions about my care, but I seldom saw her in person. The biggest downside is that occasionally someone would communicate inaccurate or inconsistent information to me, so I really had to be on top of my own care and advocate for myself, which could get tiring. Overall, I was comfortable with Penn Fertility Care because I trusted that they had the best resources and expertise available, but someone who would be bothered by the level of personal attention might want to consider a smaller practice.
Erin is great at explaining things and demonstrating medication protocols in a way I could understand. Overall, the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care made me feel very comfortable and taken care of.
Doctor Senapati is very good at clearly and patiently explaining things, and takes a very matter-of-fact approach. I always felt very comfortable asking questions, and she never made me feel rushed when we were discussing my care. I always felt like I had a good grasp of the steps we were taking and the reasons behind them. The only reservation I had about her was that my husband and I chose to take a less conventional approach to IVF for religious reasons. We elected to inseminate only a small number of eggs to reduce the chances of excess embryos. We didn't feel like Dr. Senapati always fully understood how important this priority was to us, and we knew she didn't agree with our approach. In the end, we took a path we were comfortable with, but not before we experienced some (respectful) pushback. In summary: If you've got personal ethical concerns about fertility treatments/IVF, consider another doctor who might better understand where you're coming from. If what you want is an expert walking you through your care step by step, she's a great choice.
Don't hesitate to ask questions at any point! She's going to explain a TON of information to you, which can quickly get overwhelming and make decisions difficult. So ask about anything that's unclear, and request to go over something again if you didn't fully grasp it the first time. She'll never make you feel dumb for asking more questions.
Dr. Senapati understood that I wanted to avoid IVF if at all possible, so we exhausted every approach to IUI first. Unfortunately, my extremely sensitive ovaries made this difficult. After I overreacted to even the lowest dose of Clomid, we switched to Letrozole cycles. After I underreacted to even the highest dose of Letrozole, we switched to a hybrid Letrozole+Gonal F cycle. When that didn't work, we used exclusively Gonal F because the dosage can be calibrated so precisely. In the end, we did 14 hormone cycles, with 7 cancelled cycles and 7 IUIs. At that point she recommended we discontinue IUI, so we switched to IVF and I got pregnant after my first embryo transfer.
Describe Suneeta Senapati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Senapati's preferences for single embryo transfer aligned with my own, so we didn't have to discuss it much. From what we did discuss, I felt confident that it was the best choice for my health and for my pregnancy goals. I also felt that the choice was my own and I could have gone a different way if I'd wanted to.

2013 - 2017
If you need a lot of personal attention from your primary physician [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] probably isn't a good place for you-- but if you can handle having many providers, with your primary driving the decisions, it's great...It can feel a bit like a factory, just with the number of providers and patients. But I liked all the providers very much, and trusted their communication with me and with each other.
2013 - 2017
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
It can feel a bit like a factory, just with the number of providers and patients. But I liked all the providers very much, and trusted their communication with me and with each other. I also have a lot of trust in the Penn medical system. If you need a lot of personal attention from your primary physician this probably isn't a good place for you-- but if you can handle having many providers, with your primary driving the decisions, it's great.
Great communicator, always on top of things, very compassionate.
I saw Dr. Butts for general gynecology, because I knew that once I started trying to conceive I would have difficulty based on my irregular periods. Dr Butts diagnosed me with PCOS and then continued to treat me. When I started trying to get pregnant, I had a few (3?) IUIs with her and then she went on sabbatical. At that time I switched to a different provider. I found Dr Butts to be very knowledgeable, very up to date with research, and very approachable. Had I not gotten comfortable with a different provider during her sabbatical, I would have stuck with her.
She can be a quick talker, so be sure to write down all your questions to be sure that you fit them all in. She'll spend as much time with you as you need.
I did a few IUIs with her-- either 2 or 3. I used letrozole alone for the first one, but my ovulation was hard to predict. On the second (and third?) I used letrozole and Ovidrel. Unfortunately none resulted in a pregnancy.
It was just about all covered by insurance, besides a $150 sperm washing fee.
n/a- I did not do IVF with her
Phila - Market

The clinic [UPenn Fertility Care] has weekend hours which are great. I wish there was more flexibility with monitoring appointments. Having them in the morning only at a certain time is inconvenient if you don't have a traditional 9-5. I have also experienced incredible wait times for appointments. For instance, I was told to show up with a FULL bladder for an IUI and ended up waiting an hour for the procedure. Also, we had a lot of trouble with the financial department in getting set up for IVF. No one would call us back and when they did we got different answers. To this day, we do not know what it will cost us up front or in total.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic has weekend hours which are great. I wish there was more flexibility with monitoring appointments. Having them in the morning only at a certain time is inconvenient if you don't have a traditional 9-5. I have also experienced incredible wait times for appointments. For instance, I was told to show up with a FULL bladder for an IUI and ended up waiting an hour for the procedure. Also, we had a lot of trouble with the financial department in getting set up for IVF. No one would call us back and when they did we got different answers. To this day, we do not know what it will cost us up front or in total.
The office has set times for monitoring appointments and a protocol that is rather inflexible. Except for specific consultations, you see whoever is free that day. I also felt that most appointments were rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin IUI, Roohi IVF)
The nurses always got back to me when I called with a question. I felt they were more compassionate and understanding than the doctors.
My impression of Dr. Kalra is that she is incredibly smart and incredibly busy. I only saw her during consultations. All my other procedures and monitoring appointments were done by someone else (Dr, technician or resident). I did not get a "warm and fuzzy" vibe but, in the end, that was not the most important thing to me. I think the protocol she chose was best for me and when it did not work, she adjusted it.
Come prepared with all your questions because she is impossible to reach outside of specific office visits.
Mostly covered by insurance. Trigger shot was $30. Clomid/Femara $10. Bloodwork $50. HSG $180. IVF ???? likely in the neighborhood of $7-10k
I was told that, due to my age, only one embryo is recommended. I was not given an option for multiples.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
This is a large practice [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] which can be a negative and a positive. There are multiple offices so for routine visits - labs/US you can switch it up if one works better. There are multiple doctors who review and work together to make decisions on your care during an IVF cycle...However, there is an element to the practice that can make it feel less personal, and make it harder to get routine consults scheduled.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
This is a large practice which can be a negative and a positive. There are multiple offices so for routine visits - labs/US you can switch it up if one works better. There are multiple doctors who review and work together to make decisions on your care during an IVF cycle. They are open 7 days a week and associated with top Philadelphia hospitals. However, there is an element to the practice that can make it feel less personal, and make it harder to get routine consults scheduled.
At times at our consults Dr Edwards had to refresh himself on our info and history during the appt, so you definitely want to be well versed on your history and lab results when you go in. After my last miscarriage he called me personally to see how I was doing which was greatly appreciated.
Erin is very attentive and informative. Returns calls in a timely manner. The only negative I have is that I have noticed a correlation in that when lab results are not ideal (e.g. an inappropriately rising, or falling beta) the call with the results comes later in the day than a call with good news lab results does.
My initial experience with his clinic was after two subsequent miscarriages, but I had only been TTC for less than 6 months so I don't feel that my IF was taken seriously at first. After my third m/c confirmed d/t chromosomal issues my care and the attention paid to my case was greatly improved. Dr Edwards took the time to explain all of our options to us. One of my medicated cycles my CD3 labs came back with an extremely elevated FSH, and Dr Edwards called me personally to discuss the results with me.
Educate yourself as much as possible and bring notes and your previous labs results to your consults.
Clomid 100mg x3 w TI resulted in 2-3 mature follicles w BFP then miscarriage for 2/3 cycles. Currently starting IVF w a Lupron overlap/follistim protocol.
IVF cycle $8,500. PGS biopsy $2,000. IVF meds administered via hospital pharmacy at a discounted rate for OOP patients.
In the case of PGS testing Dr Edwards recommended a single transfer

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
[UPenn has a] long wait, but everyone was nice enough. they did not have a dr doing the ultrasound, but an ultrasound technician. my next clinic ahd a dr doing it.... Dr Butts made me wait over an hour each time I met her. When I would see her in the clinic when I was there for bloods or ultrasounds, she would walk right by and had no idea who I was- not even a smile or tilt of the head in acknowledgment. In appointments, she clearly did not recall any details about me.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
long wait, but everyone was nice enough. they did not have a dr doing the ultrasound, but an ultrasound technician. my next clinic ahd a dr doing it. i have nothign else to say but it wont let me click next until i hit 200 characters
nice enough but dr butts threw her under the bus. forgot to order my meds when i was supposed to start
From the beginning, Dr. Butts was rude and treated me more as if I was an annoyance than a patient. On my first appointment, she had me wait over 1 1/2. When I finally met with her, she didn't even apologize or acknowledge the wait. She treated me as if I was dumb, yet was visibly annoyed when I asked her to explain anything. She also was unwilling to give her opinion on anything and when I asked her what she thought about PGS, all she would ask was "how do you feel about it?" This is not a therapy session- i wanted her actual opinion. I figured bad bedside manner would be ok if there were results. There were not. I have PCOS- having eggs is not my issue. Dr. Butts cancelled my egg retrieval after 14 days of injections. I believe I was not monitored closely enough and was given a "cookie cutter" cocktail of meds and not one geared towards my body. To give you an idea, my next doctor retrieved 17 mature. I found out that my cycle was being cancelled after 14 days from her nurse. Dr. Butts did not call or reach out. After I called Dr. Butts several times, she finally called me back after hours so that when I missed her call and tried to call back, I had no way of reaching her. When we finally did call, she showed no compassion, did not explain anything, was arrogant and was frankly annoyed that I wanted to speak to her to understand why she cancelled my cycle. When I called Penn and said that Dr. Butts was my dr and i wanted at least a partial refund, they were not surprised to get my call. I can only guess that they were used to it.
find a new Dr. immediately.
She does not monitor you closely enough. I was on menopur, ganirelix, and I forgot the name of the third one- starts with an F and is the pen shot. After I started ganirelix she waited over 48 hours to run my bloods. I have since learned that ganirelix commonly can have an adverse impact on people's estrogen and they need to be monitored closely when started to see if other drugs should be increased to offset the effects. That did not happen with Dr Butts
pricey but not terrible
didnt get that far
Phila - Market

Penn Medicine is a very busy place...Yet, despite that, everyone I dealt with treated me so well that I never felt like a number. They were kind and compassionate, and they always listened to me. I honestly received excellent care there...Affordable great care. So you may have to wait a bit at each visit...We purchased a package deal, only $6,750 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers, whether fresh or frozen...Beth was excellent. She always returned my calls and answered all my dumb questions.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
You will receive excellent care here. It's a busy place, busier than the first clinic I went to, but there's a reason for that! Affordable great care. So you may have to wait a bit at each visit. Fortunately my work was understanding if I was late, but I know this could be an issue for some people.
Penn Medicine is a very busy place - far busier than the fertility clinic I went to previously. Yet, despite that, everyone I dealt with treated me so well that I never felt like a number. They were kind and compassionate, and they always listened to me. I honestly received excellent care there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
Beth was excellent. She always returned my calls and answered all my dumb questions. She made sure I was clear with everything. And everyone else who assisted was fantastic as well.
I loved Dr. Kalra the first time my husband and I met her. She was kind and honest. She never sugarcoated anything, but she wasn't all doom and gloom either. I had liked my previous RE (and the main reason I switched was because IVF wasn't covered by my insurance, and Penn was far more affordable), and he was very nice. BUT he had given me false hope. He seemed certain that the IUIs would work. He even called my OB/GYN to tell him to expect to see me pregnant within the next couple of months (which did not happen). Dr. Kalra never did that. She told us our chances right up front. As I stated before, Penn was a busy place, so you would often see other doctors for procedures (all of them were excellent). Dr. Kalra did my second embryo transfer (but not my first), and that was the transfer that resulted in my beautiful baby girl.
If you are concerned about a recommendation or how treatment is going, don't hesitate to call Dr. Kalra to discuss it with her. Someone else may deliver the news, but you are always welcome to talk it over with her to make sure you're making the right decision or doing what's best for you.
We purchased a package deal, only $6,750 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers, whether fresh or frozen. We were able to take out a loan from Arc Fertility. We bought the medications at the pharmacy onsite and saved a ton of money. We probably spent close to 2 grand, but that's a bargain.
On the first cycle, she recommended transferring one embryo. It was an easy decision to make; it was our first cycle, we had seven frozen embryos (all good quality), and we were in our early thirties. When our first cycle didn't work, she recommended we transfer two embryos on the next cycle. My husband and I were very torn about it; we were concerned about the risks with twins (for the babies, myself, and the financial strain). When she knew I was having a hard time with this recommendation, she spoke at length with me on the phone. She assured me that there was nothing wrong with my embryos (which was my concern), but they recommended two simply because the first round didn't work. There was no other reason why; they just wanted to up my chances. She told me she was cautiously optimistic and didn't feel that we needed to change anything else just yet, so if we were more comfortable with transferring one, that's what we should do (and what we ended up doing with success).

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Penn Fertility Care is one of the leading fertility clinics in the country and the doctors in the practice are some of the brightest minds in the field. It is not a small practice, however, and so you have to be willing to be a bit flexible and potentially see other doctors than your primary, and be willing to wait sometimes for appointments. At the end of the day, I wanted top care from the smartest doctors, and I felt Penn Fertility delivered me that...
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
While Penn Fertility is a larger clinic, Dr. Kalra always took her time during my appointments and made sure my husband and I were comfortable with each step during the process.
The entire nursing staff was so wonderful through the whole process. Erin always called me on time and when she said she would, and took time to answer any questions I had.
I could not have asked for a better experience with Dr. Kalra. She was knowledgeable, direct, and I always left appointments feeling like there was a plan or next step. I truly believed she cared about me as a person and was looking out for my best interest. She was trustworthy, compassionate, and just overall a wonderful person to be around during a process that is otherwise very emotionally draining.
Ask questions. She was always willing to take extra time with me if I had more questions or wanted to talk anything through.
Given my issue was ovulation and PCOS, Dr. Kalra put me on a high-responder protocol which worked well. While she warned me about OHSS and said up front they might have to do a "freeze all" given the amount of follicles I had, because of the protocol, we received 26 eggs and I was able to do a fresh transfer. leading up to the retrieval I was in the office every day and she did my final ultra-sounds herself (instead of the ultra sound tech) and gave me rational for why she wanted to wait one more day and then ultimately when I was ready for my trigger. I feel as though her care leading up to my transfer was why I was able to recover quickly and was able to have the transfer 5 days later (which ended up as a BFP :))
I have good insurance so IVF was covered at 80% for me. I was also able to get them to cover a large portion of the medications needed for stimulation so I believe it was around $1200 total.

Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic at Radnor is well organized and run. The prices for self-pay patients seem to be more reasonable for everything (treatment and meds) than anywhere else I've researched or read about. It is less busy than the office at 3701 Market and for some things you would still need to go to their University City location, but for monitoring, etc, I was at Radnor. However, you will rarely see a physician during your actual treatment. All monitoring is coordinated through the nursing staff. You'll have an ultrasound technician do your scans and a tech to do your blood draws. You sometimes can see a nurse or the nurse pratictioner after your monitoring appt, but your nurse will call in the afternoon with an update to your plan. The entire team including the faculty and the fellows will meet and discuss cases. After a treatment fails, they will discuss recommendations for the next round (I don't know if this is for all cases or just more difficult ones, but it happened for mine without any prompting or request and I got the impression that this is just what they do).
Dr. Shah is warm, straightforward, and whip-smart. She goes over things in as little or as much detail as you are comfortable with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie Huston)
While I liked the other staff in the clinic, I didn't like either of the main nurses at Penn Radnor, Julie or Beth. Julie was my coordinator and she just doesn't have a lot of patience and was frequently confusing. When I was trying to confirm one set of her instructions early on, she made a snarky remark that she had done this many times. I replied back that I hadn't and wanted to make sure that I understood. She sounds condescending on the phone and ordered medications that I didn't need without warning me that I didn't need to pick them up right away (that they were only "in case of"). I would see Beth sometimes during monitoring and I felt as though she was withholding information (probably bad news). She was not my primary contact, however, so my experience with her was minimal.
I felt comfortable with Dr. Shah immediately and felt like I was in great hands. Most of my reluctance of recommending her would only come from how Penn Medicine is run and my experience with the nurses. Dr. Shah had a worksheet made up to help guide her conversations with her patients regarding all of the possible causes of infertility and the tests to identify them. It was incredibly thorough and helpful. I have nothing but great things to say about her.
Be aware that Penn Medicine acts a bit like a team and even if Dr. Shah is your primary RE and guiding your care, you will see any of the doctors at a given procedure and no doctor at all during your monitoring.
Dr. Shah debated between an antagonist protocol (which she selected) and another type of protocol (not sure what that would have been) based on my DOR diagnosis and relatively young (in infertility world) age. The logic for going with the specific protocol was never relayed to me. Did a natural start, 450 gonal f for days 1-5, then ganarelix was added, and I went to gonal f 300 + menopure 150. I had a dominant follicle by day 7 which they warned me might get me cancelled and by day 9 they cancelled the cycle and converted me to IUI that didn't work.
Prices changed July 2016 and I do not know current rates. 6750 covered one retrieval and 2 transfers (1 fresh, 1 frozen or 2 frozen) and ALL embryology, anesthesia, monitoring, bloodwork, mock transfer, etc. Everything. Cancelation before retrieval netted a refund of all but 1500. There were other graduated refunds possible (ie only one transfer, but no embryos to transfer reduced cost to 5000). 1 retrieval and 1 transfer (fresh or frozen) was 5000, but the only refund possible was if your cycle was cancelled before retrieval (cost reduced to $1500). This also included absolutely everything (monitoring, embryology, icsi, bloodwork, education seminar, med training).

2004 - 2016
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Front desk staff [at Upenn - Market] can be a little temperamental and can make you feel likes bother. Overall all of the staff at the clinic, however, are fantastic. Parking is a pain and can be expensive...[Nurse] Rie is fantastic. She always ensured I was comfortable and understood everything. She returns phone calls promptly and spends as much time needed to explain things and a set questions. She personally calls to check in and even to follow up after her weekend off if you had anything done during that time. She came down to check on me after my retrieval as well, even though she wasn't in the OR and was in the office that day...
2004 - 2016
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Front desk staff can be a little temperamental and can make you feel likes bother. Overall all of the staff at the clinic, however, are fantastic. Parking is a pain and can be expensive.
He spent a vast amount of time counseling me and my husband, praising our strength and courage, and supporting us throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie Drinker)
Dr. Sondhiemer is a superb physician at this clinic. He is caring and extremely knowledgable and very methodical in his investigative process when trying to root cause infertility. I've been under his care for 14 yrs as a routine gyn patient due to my PCOS. He was on sabbatical when we ended up doing our retrieval and transfer but he routinely checked in with his RN to see how things were going because he wanted to make sure all was going well. He truly cares about his patients and goes above and beyond as a physician.
He can be very straightforward, but not in a blunt manner.
My protocol was the hyperstimulation protocol due to my PCOS. I was very carefully monitored and was lucky to have no adverse side effects and a very successful round of stimulation and retrieval.
Approx $6800 for 1 fresh and 1 frozen cycle, retrieval, all monitoring. Meds not included. They cost about another $2000 given my particular insurance coverage (or lack there of)

2006 - 2016
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The only weakness [at Penn Fertility Care] is that because it's a large teaching hospital, you someone different for your monitoring appointments. My annuals and consults were always with Dr Sondheimer....Ree is like having the sweetest Mom or Grandmom by your side. I can't say enough nice things about her. She is the mellow calming force to the whole process. The rest of the nurses have been super supportive and caring through the whole process. They know me and even if they aren't part of my care that day they always ask how I'm doing and wish me luck.
2006 - 2016
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The only weakness is that because it's a large teaching hospital, you someone different for your monitoring appointments. My annuals and consults were always with Dr Sondheimer.
Even though I see someone different all the time through the fertility process, I know Dr Sondheimer is leading my team an available whenever I need him to be. He is straight forward and honest; I also find him to be warm and understanding. He lets me know that I'm the one in control and I ultimately make the decisions. The nurses are wonderful!!! I am (trying to be) a single mom by choice and not only is Dr Sondheimer supportive, the staff is also pulling for me every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Ree Drinker )
Sometimes he can seem rushed, but I find that asking questions gets me a long way. He's very willing to explain everything. I'm on the road to motherhood on my own and he couldn't be more supportive. He's very caring and made sure that I had a good supportive network before I started the process. I went through egg freezing a few years ago and he was great through that also.
Ask questions!!!
I don't remember all the medications for the egg retrieval. I know I started on bcp, was on follistim, menapur and I believe Gonal-F. For the IUIs, I do an ultrasound and baseline bloodwork on Day 3 of my cycle, 50 mg of Clomid days 4-8, another ultrasound on Day 12 to check the follicles. The first IUI I did the trigger shot (Ovidrel) the night of CD 12 and had the IUI morning of CD 14. The second time, they did bloodwork on CD 12 to check for an LH surge which I was starting so I triggered as soon as they got the blood results back, 3pm CD 12 and had the IUI the morning of CD 13. I take an at-home pregnancy test two weeks later and call the office with the results. Due to my low AMH and single ovary, if this cycle doesn't work I'll likely move to IVF.
I don't recall the costs for egg retrieval. IUI is covered by my insurance.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Like I said previously, the clinic may leave you feeling like you don't have a personal relationship with your doctor. However when I did have appointments with Dr. Kalra I always left feeling confident in our plan and next step. She communicated great and listened and was concerned with how you were dealing with everything mentally as well. They were prompt with the early morning monitoring appointments. The staff was friendly.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Kalra is compassionate but also honest. She tells you the truth about the odds of success. She listens to all of your questions and lets you voice your concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Roohi)
You are assigned a nurse at the clinic. My nurse was fantastic. She always called when she said we would. She spoke slowly and made sure that I always understood the directions and doses during stims. Roohi always called me back promptly whenever I had a question.
I had a good experience overall at Penn Fertility. Dr Kalra was a great doctor. However, if you're looking to build a close relationship with your doctor this may not be the best place for you. I didn't get to do any of our IUI's or IVF transfers with her. I basically saw her at our consult appointments and when we were discussing our plans. If you got to this practice you will end up with whatever doctor is available at the location that day. It can sometimes feel a bit impersonal.
Dr Kalra used all of our day 3 testing results to decide which protocol to use. She said my AMH was within normal range so she used what they called a high responder protocol. It worked and we had a smooth and successful retrieval with embryos to freeze. Our first transfer was unsuccessful but our frozen embryo transfer gave us a BFP.
IUIs were 1000 each not including trigger shot and clomic IVF was 6775 for retrieval and 2 transfers (I ended up doing 1 fresh and 1 frozen) My meds for stims were 1800 Meds for FET 350 Overall they are extremely affordable in comparison to many other clinics

2012 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Wait times [at UPenn Fertility Care] or appointments can vary anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. The staff have always been very apologetic if the wait time was on the longer side. Front desk staff have always been polite and pleasant....We were lucky to have IVF coverage through our insurance and only had to pay 10% deductible and co-pays. The financial counselors at the clinic were very helpful in confirming our insurance coverage and explaining to us what our remaining cost would be for each procedure before starting that treatment.
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Wait times for appointments can vary anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. The staff have always been very apologetic if the wait time was on the longer side. Front desk staff have always been polite and pleasant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras always asked how we felt about our options or next steps that we just discussed and if we were comfortable with them before ending the appointments.
How was your experience with Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras seems very knowledgeable, but she is conservative (self-admitted) in her approach - both with medications/dosages and with risk factors (testing required for any existing health issues prior to IVF treatments and number of embryos transferred).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Ask as many questions as you need and do you own research, but trust your doctor while in the middle of treatment - they do have a plan even if you don't understand all aspects of it!
Describe the protocols Anuja Dokras used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I was on a hyper response IVF protocol due to having PCOS (my understanding of it is that lower doses of injectible meds are used to avoid overstimulating the ovaries). My stimulation phase took several days longer than expected, which meant having to order additional meds, but the eggs produced were very good quality even though the total number was not as high as might be expected with a regular IVF cycle. We ended up with 6 high quality 5 day embryos from that cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Anuja Dokras
2012 - 2015
[UPenn's] Strengths- many great doctors that collaborate on cases. Cutting edge research. Ease of appointments. I was always made comfortable, informed and I felt that I was in great hands. You will see a Fellow most likely for ultrasounds (many other practices have techs and don't tell you what is going on while it is happening) Weaknesses- this turned out to be a strength for me personally in hindsight but you see many different fellows/doctors for ultrasounds, IUIs anything but consulting appointments. Your main doctor will be the primary decision maker but you won't see them for every appointment. I wish I knew that upfront and it bothered my during my first cycle but when I came back for the second cycle- I was aware and embraced it and asked many different doctors questions.
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Sondheimer and his nurse, Rie were incredible throughout my journey. He personally called me back with answers to questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie - she has since retired)
Rie was incredible. She listened to my 100s of questions, was always calm and assuring and kept me so prepared. She was an angel!
He was honest and I felt kept me prepared for a setback or a success. I felt like I always had a plan "B" after each visit so I never really had "false hopes". I also liked that he consulted with other top doctors regarding my care at Penn. He told me their opinions as well and what the plan would be moving forward. I felt like they genuinely cared whether I got pregnant and would try anything to get me there!
Ask a lot of questions and request to see him at major appointments. If you aren't comfortable seeing other doctors or fellows, this might not be the practice for you.
I was a DOR patient based off of egg counts and my AMH level so they treated me very aggressively in my first cycle. I forget the name of the protocol but I think it was "mini Lupron". I got canceled after my first ultrasound after having a lead egg (I can't remember the terminology!) so they converted it to an IUI. After that, Dr. Sondheimer treated me with a typical cycle instead of one more used for DOR patients. I used high dosages of Follistim though. I had 6 eggs at my baseline and had 7 mature. They retrieved all and 4 made it to Day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 the first round and I had a singleton (now 4). We transferred two frozen 2 years later and my twins are now 2.
The appointments were in the AM (I would go before work) so they could also draw blood (if necessary) and it would leave time for the doctors to review results and adjust your meds if necessary. It was a well oiled machine that ran very smoothly.
I was fortunate to have been covered by my insurance.
The practice encouraged me to transfer 2 each time. I was hesitant during my frozen transfer but I listened and had a multiple pregnancy. Looking back, I wouldn't change it but it was a shock to the system when I found out both took.
Phila - Market

Everyone at the clinic [UPenn] is very friendly, helpful, supportive. The only negative was sometimes long wait times for monitoring appointments. It really is a team environment there and everyone seems invested in the patient care and excellent outcomes...[Nurse] Roohi was very calm and caring. She was very organized about all the steps in the process. She had my medications ordered and the prior authorizations completed in advance. She was very supportive throughout the process
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Everyone at the clinic is very friendly, helpful, supportive. The only negative was sometimes long wait times for monitoring appointments. It really is a team environment there and everyone seems invested in the patient care and excellent outcomes
Dr Gracia (please note it is Gracia, not Garcia) is one of the most fantastic doctors (and people) I've ever met. She's unfailingly positive and so invested in her patients' outcomes. I had a poor prognosis per my ob/gyn and all my test results and she remained encouraging and optimistic every step of the way. She listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions. She came to the office on a weekend (on a day she was not scheduled to be in the office) to personally perform my egg retrieval and transfer. I really didn't expect my cycle to work at all but it not only worked, it worked on the first try and I have twins!! She is the best!
Please see previous answer. Dr Gracia personally performed my retrieval and transfer and was my biggest cheerleader even when I was feeling very pessimistic about my chances of success. Dr. Gracia is optimistic, friendly, caring, approachable, funny, smart, motivated and so smart. I always felt like my cycle and my success were very important to her.
Take notes, she talks fast!
I did a luteal lupron downregulation IVF cycle with Follistim and Menopur. I did not use birth control pills. I used intramuscular progesterone support following egg retrieval.
everything was covered by insurance
Phila - Market

I think that Penn is VERY expensive. When I met with their financial rep, she said that IUIs typically bill out at $5,000. Also, they billed all of my diagnostic testing as 'infertility' so my tests started billing against my insurance lifetime maximum. I felt like they were sucking my few insurance dollars dry. In terms of the clinic, it is clean and typically runs on time. It was rare that I had to wait over 15 minutes.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Dokras spent very little time with me on my first visits. She made zero effort to connect with me as a person and I felt like she was a robot just asking me questions and putting them into her EMR system.
I liked my RN, Beth, and the other RNs that i spoke with. They were more willing to answer questions and explain things than Dr Dokras. They seemed to be the only ones understanding my care.
Dr Dokras obviously never remembered me. She re-introduced herself to me on several visits. I know she sees a lot of people but she could skim my chart for 5 seconds and realize I have been in her office before. Furthermore, she misdiagnosed my husband's sperm results. She opened his results in front of me and said they were normal. Two months later when I was requesting a copy of all our results, I noticed his results were not normal! These results directly impacted our treatment plan and NO ONE ever called to tell us. It is horrible that she misread the test results as I was sitting in front of her. Finally, UPenn pushes all women directly to IUI. They didn't even offer the suggestion of IUI vs. bedroom. I feel like UPenn is out to make money and they do not put the patient first.
Request a hard copy of all your results. Do not trust the verbal diagnosis.
Dr Dokras tried to push me immediately to IUI procedures. She did not even offer Clomid and regular intercourse as an option. It was only after I did research and I asked direct questions that she mentioned it was possible. Also, she did not talk about the plan if the IUI didn't work. I had no idea how long I would be doing Clomid and IUIs.
This clinic is very expensive. They think you will pay any amount for their brand name. IUIs bill out to insurance around $5k and IVF bills out around $22k
Anuja Dokras
Radnor

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Anuja Dokras at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

2013 - 2015
7 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
You need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates...[nurse] Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh... Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat.
2013 - 2015
7 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
She never hesitated to hug me when I needed one, and didn't blink when I cried. And I cried pretty much every visit. She focused on moving forward rather than my fears of "what if". She was positive without being bullshitting me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Ugh, Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh. If I had a different nurse during the ultrasound, she would leave me feeling positive. But when Julie would call in the afternoon with my blood results and instructions, she left me feeling hopeless and like the other nurse had lied to me. No one lied to me, Julie was just not as empathetic. She also neglected to call in a very important prescription med, which resulted in hysterical crying on my part, frantic calls to a late night pharmacy and an hCG trigger shot in the bathroom of the pharmacy. I had a miscarriage early in my treatment with Penn and needed to have my hCG levels repeatedly drawn. Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat. I think that was what colored my feelings toward Julie.
She tried her best to be at my appointments. When she saw my name on the schedule, she requested that I wait a few minutes so she could do the fresh IVF transfer.
She is great. However, you need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates.
Monitoring appointments were all in the mornings which was convenient for me. The earliest appointment was at 7:45 so I was able to be in, out and at work almost on time. Thankfully my job had some flexibility.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Brenda [a nurse at UPenn] was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
It's more like a doctor's office than a clinic. For example, I happened to go with a friend to another fertility clinic and it felt more comprehensively about getting you pregnant -- almost a marketing thing, really. Since Penn is a research hospital it was much more about --here's our latest research study, you can sign up, and just more of a doctor's office. I was more than happy to participate in the research though and appreciated being part of that, and I knew that my doctors were up on the latest research and treatments. I have heard that there are other clinics that are just focused on numbers, numbers, numbers, and they are potentially more aggressive with drugs etc, I don't know details on that, but I never felt that way at Penn and felt that I was part of a great health system and system of doctors, nurses and researchers who were contributing to the greater good and also getting us a baby. (Who is the best thing that's every happened! He is so awesome!)
The nurse accessibility and care was very good. -- there are a lot of doctors in the practice, and I really liked pretty much all of them, but not a ton of consistency in who you saw, it just depended on the day you went in. At no point did I feel like a number rather than a human even though they clearly had a "process" but that made it more efficient I thought.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Efymow)
Brenda was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
I didn't spend a whole lot of time with Dr. Barnhart, but when I did he was very knowledgeable and informative -- he was kind of science-y, but I liked that because we were dealing with lots of scientific info, probability, and various medical and scientific choices we had to make. So I liked him. But he isn't the warmest, fuzziest doctor, and he only did some of my procedures due to scheduling.
If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor with a communicative bedside manner, he's probably not your doc. However, if you're interested in someone who knows the latest research, is really into statistics and facts, and has seen the latest treatments and tons of patients, that's his specialty (in my mind). I spent a lot more time in his personal office than I did in a patient/clinical room.
He started with the least interventionist, IUI, but quickly recommended I consider switching to full IVF when our first attempts weren't successful. I think they expected, due to my numbers and my husband's previous experience, it to be more successful than it was the first time, but then when it wasn't he encouraged us to "step it up" and I was glad about that. He didn't seem focused on success in numbers, though -- he seemed focused on success with me as an individual in having a baby. He was thoughtful about how many embryos to put in, and he knew how to explain my choices at each step of the way and letting us know when there was really no right answer -- and when there sort of was a "right answer" if we wanted to up our chances of getting pregnant. I can't remember the specirics of my protocols -- I did lots of injections and they had me doing the progesterone shots for 10 full weeks after I got pregnant, in order to help the pregnancy succeed . . .
Everything was covered under my health insurance and the process that I had to go through with it was very efficient and easy to navigate with the staff person working on it.

2009 - 2010
It [monitoring] was 100% a cattle call. Very very very long waits. Rushed in and out of ultrasounds with techs who were not caring at all (hard to take when you are paying out of pocket!)...I remember she [nurse at Penn Fertility Care] had to give me a Rhogam shot and do betas with me and it was an awful time and she was so kind to me.
2009 - 2010
He didn't seem to know my case very well or seem personally invested. Long waits, often didn't even see him though he was coordinating my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie)
I remember she had to give me a Rhogam shot and do betas with me and it was an awful time and she was so kind to me.
My biggest complaint: Though we kept trying to do things and they were NOT working (2 IVFs with the same protocol), they would not try another protocol with me. They did one blanket protocol for everyone. Uniqueness was not considered. Also, 8 of my eggs "died" in suspicious circumstances in the lab. I had dozens more eggs they said they couldn't retrieve. And then, they did the same protocol again (no changes) and cancelled a cycle on me. My E2 levels were through the roof. Yet still, for a 3rd IVF they would have recommended no changes! It's unbelievable. There was no innovation or attempt at a new way of looking at a case. On the positive side, I would say Dr. Sondheimer was careful (perhaps too much so) of my health and making sure I was safe which maybe other doctors did not do enough. I also was glad that causes for recurrent pregnancy loss were explored and there was a potential blood clotting issue.
If you are a basic, straightforward patient, he may be fine (I did get pregnant twice on IUI's though lost those) but if your case is unusual or out of the normal scope, this is not the office for you.
The Antagonist protocol. That's all they would do for IVF. Unless you were over 35 or PCOS, nothing else would be considered. They even met as a committee to discuss it. For IUI they did try Letrazole for me instead of Clomid as a previous clinic had done, and I got pregnant twice on it (though no success.)
It was 100% a cattle call. Very very very long waits. Rushed in and out of ultrasounds with techs who were not caring at all (hard to take when you are paying out of pocket!) Also they allowed children in the waiting area which was painful at the time.
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
The staff [at Penn Fertility Care] is overwhelmed with too many patients to honestly spend the time needed on each individual so you feel like a person who is being thoroughly cared for...Everything that could have gone wrong did. They booked us the wrong appointments, on the wrong dates. Another time at the wrong location. The finance team doesn’t answer questions, just tells you they will submit to insurance and see what they get back. The nurses would call back at 5 Pm or actually not at all! You will wait on hold a TON and be very stressed. We left, and requested our records to be transferred. This took 2 weeks, 6or more calls to the clinic and 3 calls to the office manager. They didn’t even send all our records. I was livid
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Terrible. We hated our experience with this group. They screwed up appointments for us, booked us at wrong offices, weren’t watching protocols closely. We felt like I was the only advocate for our treatment. The didn’t even call us back after bloodwork pre IUI!
The clinic is large and unorganized. It was a confusing start to an overwhelming process. The staff was nice, but I felt rushed in and out. They didn’t take much time to explain the process or plan. I felt the NP specifically was cold and quick to tell us things. They often weren’t thorough and I felt I needed to really watch my own treatment plan so things weren’t missed. I hated it
The staff is overwhelmed with too many patients to honestly spend the time needed on each individual so you feel like a person who is being thoroughly cared for
He is very nice and kind. The clinic is very busy and I felt like a number. We always felt overwhelmed and needed more direction and guidance after leaving this office. It was stressful. Thanks
Make sure you ask lots of questions and feel comfortable that your doctor will be overseeing your case. You need to trust your doctor, whoever you choose, for this overwhelming process.
IUIs. First we did a natural IUI, the second time I requested I was on a medication so he dose Letroxol
IUI procedure, meds, ovadril shot, Monoriting and consults (that you have to book if you ever want to speak or hear from your physician )
We left the group before IVF
Phila - Market

The nurses [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with....Arrive early, appointments start exactly on time. I have never waited more than 15 minutes before being called back for appointment. Allow extra time to ask questions if needed. Labs and pharmacy are all located close by, literally within blocks of each other or in the same building.... Only costs so far have been cost of consults $50 and all semen analyses have been covered by insurance (out of pocket would have been $100).
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Masson was very sincere and expressed great empathy toward my husband and I during this difficult time.
The nurses were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with.
My husband was diagnosed as having azoospermia (no sperm in semen analysis) and Dr. Masson was very delicate in breaking the news. He also gave us hope by informing us that we could try vitamins, surgical sperm extraction, or look into other options for building a family (donors, adoption, etc.) . He never once made us feel embrassed or ashamed and always gave us hope.
Ask questions. Dr.Masson is great, I would highly recommend him.
My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the news and allowed us time to “take it all in”. The next day he called us directly to check on us and again asked if we had any questions. Dr. Masson and his staff were always easy and readily available via email and phone calls.
Describe Puneet Masson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Puneet Masson

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
UPenn at Washington square is a great facility; it’s clean, the nursing staffs are friendly and welcoming, the patients are treated with respect and they are very prompt with appointment times. The front desk staff could be a little more welcoming.... It is always efficient. A quick in and out. I could go for a monitor and get back to work without being late for work... Erin is very knowledgeable, resourceful, compassionate and an over all great nurse.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Scott is always personable encouraging, optimistic and value my opinion and input. He treats my partner and I with a great deal of respect and compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin )
Erin is very knowledgeable, resourceful, compassionate and an over all great nurse. She call you back when she says she’s going to. I think she gets burn out at time
I met Dr. Scott for the first time in 2014. After I went through my first of fourth heartbreaking miscarriages. Dr. Scott gave me his time and full attention for almost 2hrs. He listened to me, held my hands and promise to help me through every process. He is very attentive, a great communicator, passionate, very pleasant and easy to talk to. He treats the whole patient. I am still waiting for my rainbow baby but I couldn’t have been under the care of a better doctor.
Be honest with yourself. Trust Dr. Scott’s plan and protocol.
I did lupron 10 units every morning for 12 days, then gonorilex I think. Not sure
Almost almost 25 thousand
Dr. Scott told me he prefers one embryo transfer due to the risk of multiple, but it is completely up to the patient
Phila - Walnut St

Very professional and caring team. Since they [U of Penn Fertility Care] are a university hospital, they don’t decline patients as other clinics do. Doctors and nurses are very compassionate and you can tell that they are not in for your money. The only challenge I see is that they have so many patients and sometimes I feel like I am just a number and I don’t always get personalized treatment. Regardless, I have only good things to say about everyone I have worked with at Penn Fertility.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Very professional and caring team. Since they are a university hospital, they don’t decline patients as other clinics do. Doctors and nurses are very compassionate and you can tell that they are not in for your money. The only challenge I see is that they have so many patients and sometimes I feel like I am just a number and I don’t always get personalized treatment. Regardless, I have only good things to say about everyone I have worked with at Penn Fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christos Coutifaris at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Coutifaris is a very caring person. He is also very well educated and he was activiely looking for options. Unfortunately, he ended up taking sabbatical and I had to choose a different doctor.
My nurse takes me very seriously. I have had three doctors and the only constant is my nurse. She knows me well and I know she has my best interest at heart.
How was your experience with Christos Coutifaris at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Coutifaris is the head of Penn Fertily. He is well respected and everyone’s favorite. He is very compassionate, but at the same time professional. He had a nice sense of humor, which was very nice at such difficult times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christos Coutifaris at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
I would give this advise to every patient no matter how good their doctor is - be your own advocate and don’t accept no for an answer.
Describe the protocols Christos Coutifaris used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
The embryos were already tested, but were not implanting. We did two ERAs because we only had one viable embyat the end and we wanted to make sure 100% that I was receptive at time of transfer if last good embryo. Unfortunately, it didn’t implant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christos Coutifaris at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
$15k.
Describe Christos Coutifaris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Christos Coutifaris
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
[Clinic staff at UPenn-Market were] Overwhelmed and unavailable at times which caused undue stress to patients. The clinical was flexible with scheduling and the turn around time from initial visit to treatment was quick. Wouldn't advise a young patient to go here as my case wasn't considered to be as bad as others which I feel often the severity of my case was overlooked and I was often told your young so you have time
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Manigi was pleasant and cared about my goals
Nursing staff were kind but overwhelmed and could not provide individual care
Dr. Manigi was very kind but over confident about the success of treatment due to my age. I did not have the intended result of pregnancy. She was familiar with endometriosis but I think my case was very complicated and I'm not sure she was fully aware of how to deal with my individual situation
Ask a lot of questions about your treatment plan and next steps in the event treatment doesn't help
Tubal check was the initial procedure to make sure my tubes were open followed by surgery was the initial treatment. I was first put on clomid and then moved to ivf
About $18,000
Describe Monica Mainigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Proper count if follicles I developed ovarian cyst during ivf treatment which were initially mistaken as follicles
Monica Mainigi
Phila - Market

[U Penn] Professional and clean. Typically appointments run on time. Only do ultrasounds and IUI's in the morning which is difficult for someone who doesn't work a traditional schedule...[Nurses] They are excellent. No one judged our relationship status or desire to expand our family. Everyone on the team is compassionate and optimistic for you! It's like having an extra 3-4 people crossing their fingers every month.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Always available to talk about steps, what to expect, when to change courses, and answer general questions.
Amazing! She is aware and sensitive to the financial costs of using donor sperm. She is optimistic that IUI will work but understand to our desire to have a baby soon; willing to compromise on the treatment plan. She is honest and caring and always available to answer question or explain something to us. She was very accommodating when my partner had to call into one of our first appointments due to a business trip.
Listen to Dr. Kalra and believe that she has your best interest in mind. The process can be very overwhelming and emotional.
Frequent ultrasounds and blood work for baseline and process tracking in each cycle.
We're lucky to have it all covered by insurance once meeting our deductible
Phila - Market

Strengths [for the nurse at Penn Fertility Care]: very detailed and showed compassion Weakness: at times it was difficult to speak to her...front desk office is in a main hallway which is not private and forces you to have a personal conversation in a public hallway. After an IUI, I did not get a follow up call from nurses or staff to discuss my next options or at least to check on me...$250 for iui...You may only see your doctor once and that’s it
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: location, clean, staff was very friendly and did show compassion Weakness: front desk office is in a main hallway which is not private and forces you to have a personal conversation in a public hallway. After an IUI, I did not get a follow up call from nurses or staff to discuss my next options or at least to check on me.
Dr. Shah spoke with compassion. She was very informative.
Strengths: very detailed and showed compassion Weakness: at times it was difficult to speak to her
Strengths: she showed lots of compassion. She was very thorough and I appreciated that about my initial visit. Weak: I wish I could have spoken to her to share some of my concerns including be given the option to have an ultrasound the day of my IUI. Since I suffer from PCOS my progress has always been a little slow so I believe my IUI may have been done too early. I did not get monitored after my IUI. In fact, the office never called and checked on me after my IUI. I was just instructed to call if I get a positive test. If I don’t then I would just call on the 1st day of my cycle.
You may only see your doctor once and that’s it
Letrozol day 3-7....then trigger shot.
$250 for iui
2011 - 2012
There were no notable weaknesses. It [U Penn] is a teaching facility so there were extra student involved but I didn't mind. Overall it's a great facility. Things were run very well. Scheduling, billing and treatment were simple.... I do not recall exact costs but know all was covered by insurance and I paid just $35 copay, plus $100 surgical copay. Three post surgical appts were also included.... Everyone was helpful and compassionate
2011 - 2012
European, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
There were no notable weaknesses. It is a teaching facility so there were extra student involved but I didn't mind. Overall it's a great facility. Things were run very well. Scheduling, billing and treatment were simple.
Very kind and always personally responded to calls ad questions
Everyone was helpful and compassionate
He was willing to listen to concerns and provide options for moving forward. He never pushed any one treatment. He answered questions personally, I was never referred to a nurse for concerns. He wad very reliable and supportive.
Be honest about your needs, expectations and ask questions. He's very willing to help you in whichever ways you think will be best for you.
I was put on the pill to ease surgery scheduling. I had a laparoscopy done to check for and treat endometriosis. I conceived naturally following the laparoscopy.
Didn't experience this.

2007 - 2012
9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
[U Penn -Radnor's] IA strength and weakness was size. I was very comfortable there and liked the dotors. However, I wanted to move quickly and the donor pool was much smaller than needed. I didn't want to leave the dpctors but needed to to move ahead in my treat,ent... Their donor pool was small and we decided to move to a larger base. We did do a few IUI's and I recall it was a pain to go into the city to do that specific procedure whil everything else was done in radnor.
2007 - 2012
9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
the doctors were very caring in the practice but as in any high volume practice - fertility or not - there always seems to be a time crunch.
she was very nice. she came into the clinic near the end of my treatments there. I only moved on to another practice because the donor pool they had was much smaller than I hoped and the wait was longer.
It was awhile ago so numbers are a bit vague but we started with clomid, and IUI's. then when I had a blighted ovum decided to move to donor eggs. Their donor pool was small and we decided to move to a larger base. We did do a few IUI's and I recall it was a pain to go into the city to do that specific procedure whil everything else was done in radnor.
I don't recall. We did have insurance to cover some of the procedures and I remember that they sat down and went over everything with me. It was overwhelming but they knew their stuff and explained it all.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Clinic [University of Pennsylvania] was very cleaned and maintained privacy. Clinic was spacious with a lot of room to move around. Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments. Weakness are parking but the clinic is in center city Philadelphia so that comes with the territory.... Nurses here seemed very informed about the trying to conceive language and seemed empathic toward patients.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic was very cleaned and maintained privacy. Clinic was spacious with a lot of room to move around. Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments. Weakness are parking but the clinic is in center city Philadelphia so that comes with the territory.
His personality is very warm and inviting making it easier to ask questions.
His strengths are his empathy and compassion for a very difficulty journey. He answers questions in a simple manner and during each encounter he takes his time to explain thing thoroughly. I have never felt rushed when speaking with him.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
So far we have only been through consultations and are in the works of developing a treatment plan.
So far have only done consultation with Dr. Edwards. Based on my insurance each consult or appointment will typically cost $50.
Phila - Market

The one weakness I found was the responsiveness on the weekends as there were a few times I never received a call back from the on call staff [UPenn] even though I called various times. The strength is that the clinic was flexible for appointments.... The nurses have been great. The nurses I worked with directly were always very prompt at returning calls/messages and extremely helpful.... My first round of IVF was covered with my insurance.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The one weakness I found was the responsiveness on the weekends as there were a few times I never received a call back from the on call staff even though I called various times. The strength is that the clinic was flexible for appointments.
Dr. Sondheimer always took his time when speaking to myself and my husband. He genuinely seemed to care about our process and outcomes.
Overall I was very pleased with Dr. Sondheimer's care. He took the time to explain the process to my husband and I and made changes when necessary in order to get the best outcome. He took time to call me to check-in to see how I was doing when we did not get the outcome we were hoping for.
Ask questions.
My first round of IVF was covered with my insurance. I am currently in my second round of IVF and am expecting to have to pay for 1/2 of the cycle out of pocket.

IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [U of Penn] is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors.... Nurse Nia was very compassionate and respectable. Always checking in on patients and making sure they are receiving all necessary medication as well as being prepared for each procedures or testing.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors. Thank you for your services.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nia)
Dr.Kalra is very understanding and honest with all reports and options. She takes her time to go over all options during all visits. Thank Dr.Kalra for all of her services. Look forwards to continuing my fertility treatment with this office.
Dr.Kalra is very kind and understanding. She will assist you with whatever your concern may be.
Phila - Market

Wish they [U Penn] had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.... My insurance pays for most of my treatment. Considering IUI that will be a cost of around $500... [Nurse] Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love... They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Wish they had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.
They always call you by your name. They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love
Dr.Barnhart is very forward with you. I think that’s what I love the most. I have a heart disease and PCOS. Other doctor werent willing to work with me. Dr.Barnhart understand my heart disease and is giving me the best treatment possible.
He knows what he is doing. Just isn’t that heart warming, but if you are looking for someone very true and forward he is your guy.
Phila - Market
The clinic [University of Pennsylvania] seemed genuinely concerned with ensuring I had a good experience. Wait times weren't always short but they weren't terrible, and were quite good if you went first thing in the morning. The desk staff who checked me in each time were particularly lovely...I loved Erin and the nursing staff that supported me throughout my fertility processes. I spoke with Erin more than any doctor or anyone else at the clinic during my IVF cycle and she was absolutely wonderful.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic seemed genuinely concerned with ensuring I had a good experience. Wait times weren't always short but they weren't terrible, and were quite good if you went first thing in the morning. The desk staff who checked me in each time were particularly lovely.
Dr. Senapati always took time to clearly and thoroughly explain everything. She answered all my questions and even suggested and answered questions I didn't even think to ask. I felt she cared about my experience and outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: ERIN TREDINNICK)
Dr. Senapati is very dedicated, thorough, smart and clear. I always felt she was doing everything she could to ensure I made informed decisions, had good experiences, and felt supported by the practice. Her nursing team is also very supportive and helpful.
Trust the process.
The practice in general seemed very adverse to multiple babies, so they seemed happy I wanted to do genetic testing with just 1 normal embryo transfer.

3 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I wish my nurse [at UPenn] would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps...[Nurses] They remember you and get very involved with you. You feel like you're their only patient...I wish I did see her [Dr. Kalra] more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
3 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I wish my nurse would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps
She is always warm, always remembers me: I do see her when I'm there but usually half the appts
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin treddnick)
I wish I did see her more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
To trust your dr. I think a ton of people try to dictate their treatments.. doctors know best and if they are taking a slow approach it's for a reason
3 iuis and then ivf. For ivf she did long Lupron, honestly I'm not sure why!
So far insurance coverage
I'd love more insight on why a protocal was chosen for me

2011 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
[At Penn Fertility Care] we explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.
2011 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Edwards explained our situation and options throughout the process. He was compassionate but remained extremely professional. I felt safe, well informed and educated. He provided us the information we needed to make good decisions, based on our needs/goals.
Dr Edwards helped our family achieve our goals. He kept us well informed, took time to explain options, risks and odds. I always felt safe in his care.
Be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
We explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.

3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I had a very good personal relationship with my nurse, Brenda, who kept me up-to-date daily or whenever I had questions. Dr. Barnhart and the whole team at Penn Fertility care or wonderful. They did seem to know the details about my case, and we're always available to answer questions when needed. They were also very helpful with the financial aspects of our situation. Overall, it was a great team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E)
Her availability when I had any sort of questions whatsoever.
I really liked Dr. Barnhart. He had a kind way about him, and was obviously deeply involved in research as well, which I am a big fan of. I felt like he was on the cutting edge of his field. And he was very kind. I dealt on a day-to-day basis with his nurse, Brenda, who I loved equally as much. So together, they were a great team.
He's probably a little bit more research-oriented than some doctors. But very kind, and with a nice manner.
Phila - Market

Strength the office [UPenn] is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)... [Nurse] She was funny and polite . Some of the other staff didn’t return my call timely and I didn’t like that.... He [Dr. Barnhart] is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strength the office is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)
From first impression he was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions . I like him .
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Denmaree )
He is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.
Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
I don’t remember sorry
Around 9k
He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.
Phila - Market

They [University of Pennsylvania] did not inform me of specifics regarding when to proceed with steps for a FET. I had to call on my own to get the wheels in motion and the nurse apologized that it was a mistake on their end.... Sometimes I feel like a number and I have to stay very on top of things to get calls back etc.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Dr butts is extremely caring and compassionate.
She is incredibly caring and compassionate. I was skeptical when I changed RE practices due to insurance reasons but I feel well cared for with dr butts as my doctor. She is extremely realistic but also optimistic and has given me hope.
She would treat you as if you are her family member. She's very invested in your fertility journey.
For IVF she used Lupron and follistim and menopur for the stim. She uses estrace and progesterone to prep for transfer.
I had full coverage for 2 egg retrieval and 2 fresh transfer. But a FET is 2500$
They allowed me to do a 2 embryo transfer for a FET after a failed single embryo fresh transfer.
Phila - Market

He [Dr. Barnhart] sat with me in his office [U of Penn] going over all of my history. He performed the ultrasound and procedure to check my tubes. When i returned with my husband he was thorough about our results and next steps...Doctor Barnhart was very thorough with details of my condition and what we can expect. He is very friendly and truly cares about his patients. He was very open and honest with what we should expect.
He sat with me in his office going over all of my history. He performed the ultrasound and procedure to check my tubes. When i returned with my husband he was thorough about our results and next steps
Doctor Barnhart was very thorough with details of my condition and what we can expect. He is very friendly and truly cares about his patients. He was very open and honest with what we should expect. He answered all of my questions even if i called later with follow ups.
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Penn staff was very good. Every doctor in the practice knew exactly what you were there for. They were gentle and kind and knew you were going through something stressful, and managed things appropriately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Marie Drinker)
She was so kind and gentle. She made her self available. The only flaw in the process was explaining sub-contanius injections
I think Dr. Sondheimer is one of the smartest doctors in the Phila area. I would have stayed there, if I had not moved.
ask questions, and listen carefully.
Phila - Market
Very caring and advanced. My concern that they [University of Pennsylvania Fertility Care] don’t do an overall holistic personalized testing. I am still unexplained after being with them for over 2.5 years. They have helped two of my friends and my friends are very happy with the care they received.... [the nurse was] Very caring. Took my case personally. I have her cell phone and can text her if I need to. She is my advocate.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Very caring and advanced. My concern that they don’t do an overall holistic personalized testing. I am still unexplained after being with them for over 2.5 years. They have helped two of my friends and my friends are very happy with the care they received.
Very compassionate and honest doctor. He has helped two of my friends successfully. I would recommend to any friend. Dr. Edwards tried different things with me, but I was unsuccessful. He still checks on me and is interested in my progress.
Be your best advocate with any doctor out there.
I can’t recall exactly. He used clinks for IUI and froze all embryos for PGS due to my prior natural miscarriages. All my FETs were controlled (medicaged).
$30k maybe.
I was 34 and he fevimmended we don’t transfer two at a time. I am now almost 39 and still not pregnant...