7.2

Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087
800-789-7366

We felt like I was the only advocate for our treatment [with Dr. Scott Edwards]...didn’t take much time to explain the process or plan... weren’t thorough and I felt I needed to really watch my own treatment plan so things weren’t missed...He is very nice and kind...We always felt overwhelmed and needed more direction and guidance after leaving...IUIs. First we did a natural IUI, the second time I requested I was on a medication so he dose Letroxol
The staff [at Penn Fertility Care] is overwhelmed with too many patients to honestly spend the time needed on each individual so you feel like a person who is being thoroughly cared for...Everything that could have gone wrong did. They booked us the wrong appointments, on the wrong dates. Another time at the wrong location. The finance team doesn’t answer questions, just tells you they will submit to insurance and see what they get back. The nurses would call back at 5 Pm or actually not at all! You will wait on hold a TON and be very stressed. We left, and requested our records to be transferred. This took 2 weeks, 6or more calls to the clinic and 3 calls to the office manager. They didn’t even send all our records. I was livid
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
He is very nice and kind. The clinic is very busy and I felt like a number. We always felt overwhelmed and needed more direction and guidance after leaving this office. It was stressful. Thanks
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Make sure you ask lots of questions and feel comfortable that your doctor will be overseeing your case. You need to trust your doctor, whoever you choose, for this overwhelming process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
The clinic is large and unorganized. It was a confusing start to an overwhelming process. The staff was nice, but I felt rushed in and out. They didn’t take much time to explain the process or plan. I felt the NP specifically was cold and quick to tell us things. They often weren’t thorough and I felt I needed to really watch my own treatment plan so things weren’t missed. I hated it
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
The staff is overwhelmed with too many patients to honestly spend the time needed on each individual so you feel like a person who is being thoroughly cared for
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Terrible. We hated our experience with this group. They screwed up appointments for us, booked us at wrong offices, weren’t watching protocols closely. We felt like I was the only advocate for our treatment. The didn’t even call us back after bloodwork pre IUI!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care.
IUI procedure, meds, ovadril shot, Monoriting and consults (that you have to book if you ever want to speak or hear from your physician )
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
We left the group before IVF
Treated 2018 - 2019
the plan [with Dr. Shah] was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out...After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
Our main nurse [at University of Penn Fertility Care] was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began)...We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When we saw Dr Shah she would always let us share our questions and provided very detailed (with notes!) explanations of her answers and, at times, what would happen next in our treatment. Unfortunately, we only saw Dr Shah in the office twice (an initial consultation and a meeting before starting IVF). After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Choose Dr Shah because you're looking for a safe, researched-based practice that won't be aggressive and make sure you speak up and advocate for your own needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When my wife would go in for monitoring, she wasn't allowed to hear any results from her ultrasounds, she was told to just lie there and then wait for the results each afternoon. Blood draws were often stressful, conversations with the nurses felt impersonal and information was often unclear or left out, so that we had to do our own research and make suggestions or double-check protocols.
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
FSH / GNRH Antagonistic Protocol - the plan was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Our main nurse was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began). She could be hard to get in touch with and did not always seem to know the answers to critical questions we asked about what to do at various points in the protocol
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is often fairly quiet and pretty efficient. There's free parking, although the lot is very busy/tight after the very early morning. All procedures must be done at the downtown office and procedures are done by whoever is on-call/working that day, not by your doctor. The nurses at the front desk never learn your name or get to know you. There are no discounts for procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care.
Retrieval & biopsy - $9,000; FETs $2,500 (these prices have now been updated & significantly increased)
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Our Dr strongly encouraged single embryo transfers, it didn't feel like there was an option for anything else
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0. We were upset that this had not be addressed or monitored during the transfer process and that we only learned of the level at our own pushing/forcing the issue.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Masson performed 2 TESEs for my husband and he recommended that he take Ubiquinol, Vitamin D and Ester C for a few months prior to the procedure. The first time, my husband was not aware of these recommendations but the TESE did yield viable sperm. He DID take the recommended supplements before the second TESE, which yielded sperm of approximately the same quality as the first time. So I can't say whether or not the supplements helped, but both procedures did yield useable sperm.
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic [UPenn-Market] as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.... The charges associated with my husband's TESE were extremely unclear. We got multiple bills that we were not expecting and they do not inform you about costs associated with sperm storage.
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson's biggest strength is his communication. We felt like he was genuinely invested in our care and made every effort to ensure that our other fertility specialists were aware of our needs. He was compassionate and called my husband before and after each procedure.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Don't be afraid to call his office to speak to him directly! His office staff was great about helping us get in touch with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson was very thorough and honest about our prognosis. He answered all of our questions and we never left appointments feeling confused or unsure of what to expect. We never had a hard time getting a hold of him directly and he called my husband numerous times regarding procedures, appointments, etc. I wish all of our doctors communicated like he does!
Describe the protocols Puneet Masson used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care.
Philadelphia - Market

The Penn fertility nursing staff is highly variable. Some are very organized and compassionate, but mistakes occurred because different nurses will call with results and not have an understanding of specific cases. I frequently had to chase down results and information. One time I drove out for an hour to a specialty pharmacy just to find out that the prescription had not been sent in. These issues are due to organizational challenges around care coordination.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Butts is knowledgeable and well-intentioned. She is flexible, and was willing to change my plan based on new information. But either she is pulled in too many different directions or she does not have sufficient time to spend with patients. I felt like I was a burden to her through my care cycle. She would express exasperation when faced with questions - rather than viewing patient questions as an opportunity to clarify and solidify the plan, she was defensive and vague with her responses. She expressed confidence that she knew my case very well, but frequently brought up factually incorrect information related to the medications I should have been taking and my medical history. She was difficult to reach and often unavailable. She did not express compassion for miscarriages and other challenges that I faced during my time in her care. I did not feel that she truly cared about or was invested in my fertility outcomes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
I would recommend for patients of Dr. Butts to be prepared to advocate for themselves.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Butts did not spend time getting to know me. She had poor knowledge of my medical history, and in communications would recount factually incorrect information about my history, my current medications, and my plan.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Penn Fertility will always have a lot of patients because some large employers in the Philadelphia area cover services there. It is a well-respected program and most of the physicians I interacted with are excellent. However, the clinic does not care at all about patient satisfaction or patient experience. The financial coordinators are particularly difficult to work with - they are rude, don't return calls, and are unwilling to help unless they are chasing you down for a bill. If this clinic is the only one covered by your insurance, you will likely get what you need. But if you are paying out of pocket, I would think about going elsewhere.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Penn Fertility Care.
Monitoring appointments were convenient with relatively short wait times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care.
Approximately $5,000 out of pocket costs with insurance coverage including required mock transfer (out of pocket only), medications, and co-pays/deductibles.

Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Kalra was thorough but we never felt she was warm or like she really had time for us. If I had a question that required speaking to her, I often felt like I was bothering her. She also sprung the need for ICSI on us on the morning of my retrieval (while I was gowned up and waiting for my IV placement) and it didn't really feel like she took the time to explain why she changed her mind....You might want to wok with Dr. Kalra is you really don't want anything sugar-coated. We found her bedside manner to be cold and not sympathetic for two people who are trying to keep hope alive
The positives of Penn is that if you work there, the insurance coverage is fantastic.... On the other side of the coin, the process for getting "bad news" isn't great.... Additionally, the weekend appointments sometimes ran 90 minutes behind for a simple blood draw and/or ultrasound. I also very much felt like a dollar sign. The financial person was entirely unprofessional and had no empathy at all for us.... I would never recommend them to anyone looking for care in Philly.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I often felt like I was bothering her when I asked questions. It's clear she was busy but also I was a patient of hers for a long time and it really never felt like we made a connection. It always felt rushed and like she was talking to a child. I work in women's health and reproductive health research, I understand a lot more because of my line of work and it still felt like she dodged some questions when I asked about more scientific or specific things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
You might want to wok with Dr. Kalra is you really don't want anything sugar-coated. We found her bedside manner to be cold and not sympathetic for two people who are trying to keep hope alive after a lot of failure and much heartache. Ultimately, this is why I asked to be reassigned to another doctor within the practice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did 6 medicated (clomid/letrozole) rounds and IUI before we were approved for IVF. All were negative. I went throw two egg retrieval rounds with her. We were lucky enough to have insurance coverage so we asked that she be as aggressive as possible because we didn't want to waste the coverage. She said she "was" but then after our first retrieval all embryos arrested after 5 days. The next time around she changed the medication, added in a course of HGH and we ended up with 6 embryos after 6 days of development. I did one fresh transfer which was negative and then one additional frozen transfer with her which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that point my husband and I both felt we didn't want to work with her anymore and asked to switch to a different, warmer doctor within the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I worked primarily with Dawn during the course of my treatment. Up until the end she was very helpful. Every time there was a negative result, she was right there working with me to schedule a follow up, and keep on the horse for next time. The main issue is take is that after my last transfer (which did result in positive rising HCG levels) but ultimately ended in miscarriage after the 6-week ultrasound, Dawn knew we didn't have any embryos left and also knew we weren't in a position to continue with more treatment at that time (after 6 IUIs, 2 retrievals and 6 transfers). The day we found out at the ultrasound that it wasn't viable I emailed later saying we were going to wait and see if the miscarriage would happen naturally but also asked her to check on the insurance coverage for the anesthesia for a D&C. She did not answer my email. 2 weeks later I finally followed to up to say that it had happened and i was fine. She responded that my message must have been lost by the surgical team and that was it. No sympathy, no apology for not responding and certainly no push to come back in for another follow up. That really made me feel like a major dollar sign (or lack there of) with Penn Fertility Care and one of the main reasons I would never recommend them to anyone looking for care in Philly.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The positives of Penn is that if you work there, the insurance coverage is fantastic. We received 6 covered IUIs, 2 retrievals and three transfers all through my insurance plan. They also have several locations and you can go to any one you want depending on whats most convenient for you. Most of the time, for the early morning blood draw/ultrasound visits leading up to IUI or retrieval, they are mostly on time. On the other side of the coin, the process for getting "bad news" isn't great. Usually the ultrasound tech just says everything is fine but if it's not then they literally don't say anything and on the way out say "the doctor will come in and speak to you." It just was very anxiety provoking. Maybe this is true of all clinics, I don't know, but I really didn't like how it was handled. Additionally, the weekend appointments sometimes ran 90 minutes behind for a simple blood draw and/or ultrasound. I also very much felt like a dollar sign. The financial person was entirely unprofessional and had no empathy at all for us. Even though we had mailed a check which had not yet been received she basically threatened to cancel our embryo transfer if we didn't pay the bill for our embryo storage. We had literally received the bill earlier that week and mailing a check was the only option for payment. It wasn't an issue with being able to pay or not wanting to pay - they just literally hadn't received it yet. I never really felt connected to my care team or like anyone really cared about us (for the most part) and I was under their care for almost 3 years.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care.
I was very lucky in that we had 6 IUIs, 2 retrievals and 2 transfers covered by our insurance. We had to pay for ICSI out of pocket as well as for embryo preservation. Those costs were reasonable but also weren't totally disclosed to us up front. We didn't realize that certain things were covered by insurance and others were not. ICSI was decided on the day of our retrieval so we were hit with a bill later which we were not expecting. It was okay for us but I could imagine for many couples it would not be.
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
She was very set on eSET but this was also preferred by my insurance so we did follow through with two single transfers with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
For my second egg retrieval round my doctor added in a 5-day course of HGH. I was supposed to start it around 8 days prior to egg retrieval. That morning the nurse called with my blood work results and told me to "stay the course" with my meds. I asked, "okay, so don't change anything?" and she said "nope, don't change anything." When I went back two days later for follow up the nurse called with the results and asked how I was tolerating the HGH and I said I hadn't started it, that I wasn't told to start it. It became a big deal as to whether or not they would cancel the cycle and ultimately my doctor decided to allow the cycle to continue with a delayed start to the HGH. Additionally, when I went for our first retrieval the cover sheet they had for my treatment was actually for a different person and after the third discrepancy between what the nurse said and what my husband and I questioned as not what we had been told she went to speak to our doctor and realized it has been filled out with someone else in mind. That didn't make us feel confident at all.
Philadelphia - Walnut St
Dr. Edwards was always warm and positive. He often ran late for his appointments but also took as much time as you needed with him once you were in the office with him. I appreciated his optimism and generally jolly demeanor....I liked working with Dr. Edwards up until our miscarriage. We went to an ultrasound with Dr. Edwards where he told us he pregnancy wasn't viable and without what even felt like 2 minutes to recover from that news he started to discuss options for miscarriage. It felt too soon and also his super positive happy demeanor felt very at odds with having to deliver bad news.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Edwards is very much a cheerleader however we had to pursue asking a lot of questions and ask about options for what to change when we had multiple transfers with either no result or chemical pregnancy, he was find just keeping doing what we were doing without adjusting anything to help improve outcomes. Finally after we asked if there was anything that could be changed he brought up some other options.
We did two double embryo transfers with Dr. Edwards. The first was just standard care but we had already had one negative result from a fresh transfer, high-grade embryo and one frozen high-grade embryo. The first double transfer results in nothing. After that, and much discussion, he decided to push the transfer date back by a day for the second double transfer. That resulted in an early miscarriage at around 7 weeks.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Penn Medicine has multiple locations which is nice and you can go to any of them. My primary location usually ran pretty well on schedule for blood work/ultrasound appointments in the morning when prepping for egg retrieval or IUI. The space was light and bright and always clean. The downsides are that many of their staff need to be trained with regard to compassion. The financial person was extremely condescending and really didn't seem like she understood how emotional the infertility experience can be. She didn't respond in a timely manner, didn't get an IUI request submitted on time causing us to have to cancel and generally wasn't very nice. Additionally, there as never any discussion of mental health, how I was feeling or any suggestion for counseling. I was lucky enough to already being care with a trusted provider but many people are not and that should have been discussed.
We paid for both transfers out of pocket with Dr. Edwards, both were $2,500 each which we knew up front. As I mentioned in another section, I really was not impressed with the financial person whatsoever. She was cold and unprofessional, didn't follow through on some requests and talked to us like we were children.
He was comfortable transferring two embryos after we had been through two transfers with no positive outcome.

Treated 2017
Dr Shah is genuine and compassionate and although we rarely saw her, we felt like she was monitoring us closely from afar. She didn’t do any of my procedures and I think that played a part in feeling like a number and not a patient at this clinic... I was on a high-responder protocol. I was on Follistim 150 daily to start. Eventually added in Ganirelix and menopur. Eventually we attempted HGH because of a cycle that resulted in poor quality embryos, howevery retrieval was cancelled.
The NP [at UPenn-Radnor] assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.... I felt very out of touch with my own care due to almost never speaking with my doctor. I would speak with a new nurse every day (someone unfamiliar with me) regarding my lab results and medication adjustments.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Trust her and don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Dr Shah was compassionate and I really felt that she was invested in our care. She called us whenever we got bad news and to give her best wishes when we decided to switch clinics. We didn’t get the outcome we had hoped for so we were eager to get some new ideas by switching clinics, but leaving Dr Shah was bittersweet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan Tronicelli)
The NP assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
I get the impression that this clinic may be more concerned with their statistics than with their patients. There are about a dozen doctors and in my time there, I saw every single doctor once for one procedure or another. After over a year at the clinic, I still felt like a new patient.
We paid separately for the egg retrieval ($12,000), FET ($2,500). PGD was paid directly to the lab and meds were separate. I must also say that the Financial coordinator is extremely unhelpful! We were better off googling. At my first meeting with her, I asked her what options there were for paying (do people ever take out loans, are there assistance programs, any opportunities for discounted meds, etc) and she looked at me like I had 12 heads.
We got the lecture about risks of multiples to the nth degree. I was told I would be the next octomom if we transferred two embryos!

Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Kalra] will not ask you to do some tests like HSG, hystroscopy etc which at times could be helpful in diagnosing the problem and prevent you from going towards IVF...3 cycles of Clomid (100mg) and timed intercourse. No rationale, just trying if it works...I felt like a number, she had no good bed side manners...was great in describing you the basics of how hormones talk to ovaries, egg are produced etc. But she is not interested in listening to your concerns. She would like to push her agenda on you for treatment. I did not like her approach of the way she treats her patients. She can be more compassionate.
the Penn nursing staff is great for bloodwork and US. you receive call about your results...The clinic are clean. They will not transfer your medical records to new practice. so try to get all records when you are their patient. It is well run clinic as it is part of Penn fertility care. They run many centers in Philadelphia region, so you can go to Market st, Wash. Sq and also in Radnor. Wait time at clinic can be long and weekend lab work is only done in Market st. location.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Kalra, was great in describing you the basics of how hormones talk to ovaries, egg are produced etc. But she is not interested in listening to your concerns. She would like to push her agenda on you for treatment. I did not like her approach of the way she treats her patients. She can be more compassionate.
She is doctor who runs by numbers, I mean that they want to have good success rates and will take only patients that they think will have better IVF success rates. So if you have DOR, other complications, I will suggest to stay away for her. She will not ask you to do some tests like HSG, hystroscopy etc which at times could be helpful in diagnosing the problem and prevent you from going towards IVF. As I said she wants to IVF and for that she doesnot need fallopian tubes and uterus etc. So stay away from her practice if you want to find diagnosis to your infertility/DOR.
In the beginning when I consulted her for irregular periods and not getting pregnant, she quickly jumped to conclusion that I had PCOS. Later after my blood work hormones results came, she changed her initial diagnosis to DOR (I had low AMH). She did not went further in understanding the root cause of my irregular periods and wanted to start Clomid asap. I did 3 cycles of Clomid with timed intercourse. During all 3 cycles, I was seen by her junior staff and she never contacted me and talked about the failed cycles or trying other medications. After 3 Clomid cycles, she directly wanted to jump to IVF and when I told her that I would need more time, she lost all her interest in me. It felt as if she was trying to push me to do IVF and when I pushed back, she was not amused. After 6 months, I went back to her to get opinion on what next steps we should take to get pregnant, she was not interested at all to take our case owing it to loss AMH and importantly we went for a second opinion to another doctor (which she did not liked). In my opinion she took things personally, rather then helping her patient in getting pregnant. Also I felt like a number, she had no good bed side manners.
was covered by insurance

Treated 2016
[UPenn has a] long wait, but everyone was nice enough. they did not have a dr doing the ultrasound, but an ultrasound technician. my next clinic ahd a dr doing it.... Dr Butts made me wait over an hour each time I met her. When I would see her in the clinic when I was there for bloods or ultrasounds, she would walk right by and had no idea who I was- not even a smile or tilt of the head in acknowledgment. In appointments, she clearly did not recall any details about me.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
From the beginning, Dr. Butts was rude and treated me more as if I was an annoyance than a patient. On my first appointment, she had me wait over 1 1/2. When I finally met with her, she didn't even apologize or acknowledge the wait. She treated me as if I was dumb, yet was visibly annoyed when I asked her to explain anything. She also was unwilling to give her opinion on anything and when I asked her what she thought about PGS, all she would ask was "how do you feel about it?" This is not a therapy session- i wanted her actual opinion. I figured bad bedside manner would be ok if there were results. There were not. I have PCOS- having eggs is not my issue. Dr. Butts cancelled my egg retrieval after 14 days of injections. I believe I was not monitored closely enough and was given a "cookie cutter" cocktail of meds and not one geared towards my body. To give you an idea, my next doctor retrieved 17 mature. I found out that my cycle was being cancelled after 14 days from her nurse. Dr. Butts did not call or reach out. After I called Dr. Butts several times, she finally called me back after hours so that when I missed her call and tried to call back, I had no way of reaching her. When we finally did call, she showed no compassion, did not explain anything, was arrogant and was frankly annoyed that I wanted to speak to her to understand why she cancelled my cycle. When I called Penn and said that Dr. Butts was my dr and i wanted at least a partial refund, they were not surprised to get my call. I can only guess that they were used to it.
find a new Dr. immediately.
Describe the protocols Samantha Butts used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
She does not monitor you closely enough. I was on menopur, ganirelix, and I forgot the name of the third one- starts with an F and is the pen shot. After I started ganirelix she waited over 48 hours to run my bloods. I have since learned that ganirelix commonly can have an adverse impact on people's estrogen and they need to be monitored closely when started to see if other drugs should be increased to offset the effects. That did not happen with Dr Butts
nice enough but dr butts threw her under the bus. forgot to order my meds when i was supposed to start
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
long wait, but everyone was nice enough. they did not have a dr doing the ultrasound, but an ultrasound technician. my next clinic ahd a dr doing it. i have nothign else to say but it wont let me click next until i hit 200 characters
pricey but not terrible
Describe Samantha Butts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
didnt get that far
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
failed to call in meds, messed up appts, didnt get me medical records
Treated 2015
I think that Penn is VERY expensive. When I met with their financial rep, she said that IUIs typically bill out at $5,000. Also, they billed all of my diagnostic testing as 'infertility' so my tests started billing against my insurance lifetime maximum. I felt like they were sucking my few insurance dollars dry. In terms of the clinic, it is clean and typically runs on time. It was rare that I had to wait over 15 minutes.
How was your experience with Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras obviously never remembered me. She re-introduced herself to me on several visits. I know she sees a lot of people but she could skim my chart for 5 seconds and realize I have been in her office before. Furthermore, she misdiagnosed my husband's sperm results. She opened his results in front of me and said they were normal. Two months later when I was requesting a copy of all our results, I noticed his results were not normal! These results directly impacted our treatment plan and NO ONE ever called to tell us. It is horrible that she misread the test results as I was sitting in front of her. Finally, UPenn pushes all women directly to IUI. They didn't even offer the suggestion of IUI vs. bedroom. I feel like UPenn is out to make money and they do not put the patient first.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Request a hard copy of all your results. Do not trust the verbal diagnosis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras spent very little time with me on my first visits. She made zero effort to connect with me as a person and I felt like she was a robot just asking me questions and putting them into her EMR system.
Describe the protocols Anuja Dokras used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Dr Dokras tried to push me immediately to IUI procedures. She did not even offer Clomid and regular intercourse as an option. It was only after I did research and I asked direct questions that she mentioned it was possible. Also, she did not talk about the plan if the IUI didn't work. I had no idea how long I would be doing Clomid and IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
I liked my RN, Beth, and the other RNs that i spoke with. They were more willing to answer questions and explain things than Dr Dokras. They seemed to be the only ones understanding my care.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care.
This clinic is very expensive. They think you will pay any amount for their brand name. IUIs bill out to insurance around $5k and IVF bills out around $22k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
On my second cycle with Clomid, the clinic called to tell me that I didn't ovulate and that I should be increasing my dosage for the next cycle. It was frustrating because I had my menstrual cycle so I did ovulate. They communicated incorrect results and seemed to incorrectly increase my meds as a result. Also, when I went to get a second opinion and asked for my records, it took over 6 weeks and multiple follow-up calls. They couldn't find my husband's results for weeks. This was a large problem - since they misdiagnosed him as I have mentioned previously. Based on his results, they should have recommended we move to IVF because IUI would never have been successful. Instead, I had 4 months on Clomid that were not necessary.
Treated 2009 - 2010
On the positive side, I would say Dr. Sondheimer was careful (perhaps too much so) of my health and making sure I was safe which maybe other doctors did not do enough. My biggest complaint: Though we kept trying to do things and they were NOT working (2 IVFs with the same protocol), they would not try another protocol with me. They did one blanket protocol for everyone.
It [monitoring] was 100% a cattle call. Very very very long waits. Rushed in and out of ultrasounds with techs who were not caring at all (hard to take when you are paying out of pocket!)...I remember she [nurse at Penn Fertility Care] had to give me a Rhogam shot and do betas with me and it was an awful time and she was so kind to me.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
My biggest complaint: Though we kept trying to do things and they were NOT working (2 IVFs with the same protocol), they would not try another protocol with me. They did one blanket protocol for everyone. Uniqueness was not considered. Also, 8 of my eggs "died" in suspicious circumstances in the lab. I had dozens more eggs they said they couldn't retrieve. And then, they did the same protocol again (no changes) and cancelled a cycle on me. My E2 levels were through the roof. Yet still, for a 3rd IVF they would have recommended no changes! It's unbelievable. There was no innovation or attempt at a new way of looking at a case. On the positive side, I would say Dr. Sondheimer was careful (perhaps too much so) of my health and making sure I was safe which maybe other doctors did not do enough. I also was glad that causes for recurrent pregnancy loss were explored and there was a potential blood clotting issue.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
If you are a basic, straightforward patient, he may be fine (I did get pregnant twice on IUI's though lost those) but if your case is unusual or out of the normal scope, this is not the office for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
He didn't seem to know my case very well or seem personally invested. Long waits, often didn't even see him though he was coordinating my care.
Describe the protocols Steven Sondheimer used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
The Antagonist protocol. That's all they would do for IVF. Unless you were over 35 or PCOS, nothing else would be considered. They even met as a committee to discuss it. For IUI they did try Letrazole for me instead of Clomid as a previous clinic had done, and I got pregnant twice on it (though no success.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie)
I remember she had to give me a Rhogam shot and do betas with me and it was an awful time and she was so kind to me.
It was 100% a cattle call. Very very very long waits. Rushed in and out of ultrasounds with techs who were not caring at all (hard to take when you are paying out of pocket!) Also they allowed children in the waiting area which was painful at the time.
Treated 2013 - 2018
Dr. Manigi was very kind but over confident about the success of treatment due to my age. I did not have the intended result of pregnancy. She was familiar with endometriosis but I think my case was very complicated and I'm not sure she was fully aware of how to deal with my individual situation... Tubal check was the initial procedure to make sure my tubes were open followed by surgery was the initial treatment. I was first put on clomid and then moved to ivf
[Clinic staff at UPenn-Market were] Overwhelmed and unavailable at times which caused undue stress to patients. The clinical was flexible with scheduling and the turn around time from initial visit to treatment was quick. Wouldn't advise a young patient to go here as my case wasn't considered to be as bad as others which I feel often the severity of my case was overlooked and I was often told your young so you have time
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask a lot of questions about your treatment plan and next steps in the event treatment doesn't help
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Manigi was pleasant and cared about my goals
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
Nursing staff were kind but overwhelmed and could not provide individual care
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care.
About $18,000
Describe Monica Mainigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Proper count if follicles I developed ovarian cyst during ivf treatment which were initially mistaken as follicles
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
It was hard to get information about the ivf trigger shot and I received conflicting information about dosage