7.2

Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087

2020, Unknown Success
I have been pleased with the rapport I have with her [Dr. O'Neill]. I try to be a good self-advocate and spend a lot of time reading research articles so I can be informed about my own treatment. Dr. O'Neill has always been open to listening to my opinions and helping me interpret what I've read. She listens and remembers my anxieties and fears, and her clinical decisions take into account not just how they will affect me fertility-wise, but also psychologically and emotionally. A various points she's asked me if I would like to take a break. I've also noticed that the admin staff speak highly of her, which is a good sign as she is in a position of power within the clinic environment. I should add the caveat that since Penn is a high volume clinic, the majority of my interactions are with ultrasound te
[Monitoring at University of Pennsylvania Fertility Care is] Very efficient. Never had to wait more than ten minutes and usually in and out within thirty minutes total...My Penn Medicine is actually a pretty amazing portal. Very user friendly. You can look up all the notes your doctor writes about you via the visit summary feature, as well as all of your imaging from major diagnostics (e.g. HSG, surgery) Weaknesses: -Finance is hugely disorganized. You have to stay on top of your bill like white on rice. -Due to high clinic volume, there is usually a 6-8 week wait to get in the cue for a consultation, retrieval, or transfer -They do not upload your bloodwork or ultrasound results to the portal (alt
How was your experience with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
I wanted to write this review before we transferred so I could share my experience without bias stemming from success or failure. I have had consultations with three REs and been in treatment with two, so I'm writing about Dr. O'Neill in relation to my general experience of the fertility industrial complex. PROS: -willing to listen and try newer diagnostics such as ERA and DNA fragmentation testing, *if you suggest them* -considers research brought by patients when developing a treatment plan -will initiate phone calls (vs. portal messages) outside of official consultations for quick discussions on next steps forward -seems to have a consultative approach and often mentions working with her Fellows and other colleagues to come to a decision on treatment. -while I would not say she is deeply informed on the role of race in infertility treatment, I was able to bring up the subject and she did not shy away from it -Genuinely kind and empathetic when you get bad news CONS (with the note that I think many of these are universal problems in high-patient volume clinics) -Not so good at communicating with her nurse. On multiple occasions I've gotten one set of medication instructions from Dr. O'Neill, a different set from the nurse, and had to ask her to double check with Dr. O'Neill. -Can be overconfident when she's incorrect about something - e.g. you believe you are having a procedure to look at X and Y issues, but she only remembers issue Y, so you have to ask her to go dig through your records to find evidence of issue X NEUTRAL/GENERAL INFO -Seems to err on the side of slightly conservative measures when it comes to making adjustments in treatment protocols. As mentioned above, she's open to ideas, but when left to her own devices, her style seems to favor treatments with a long track record of success -Does not give estimated probability of success (I didn't ask for it either) -Can be blunt and action oriented or warm and sympathetic at turns
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. O'Neill is my second RE. My first RE was kind but distant. I didn't select Dr. O'Neill intentionally - she was the first appointment available - but I have been pleased with the rapport I have with her. I try to be a good self-advocate and spend a lot of time reading research articles so I can be informed about my own treatment. Dr. O'Neill has always been open to listening to my opinions and helping me interpret what I've read. She listens and remembers my anxieties and fears, and her clinical decisions take into account not just how they will affect me fertility-wise, but also psychologically and emotionally. A various points she's asked me if I would like to take a break. I've also noticed that the admin staff speak highly of her, which is a good sign as she is in a position of power within the clinic environment. I should add the caveat that since Penn is a high volume clinic, the majority of my interactions are with ultrasound techs and my assigned nurse. However, based on conversations with others at high volume clinics, I still get a level of interaction that is satisfactory, as long as I am intentional and proactive about setting up consult appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Overall I love the clinic staff. They are very sweet and cheerful in what must be a challenging environment, but don't make false promises. The ultrasound techs will give you as much or as little information about what they're seeing as you request. They get you in and out really quickly for morning monitoring, but also take time to answer whatever questions you might have. The after-hours hotline is also excellent. I've had to call a few times and always respected my experiences of negative symptoms, pain, etc. Notes specific to my nurse (nicole): PROS: -Insanely fast portal responses. If you have not gotten a response, she's probably on vacation -Overall friendly demeanor CONS -Dosing instructions not always given clearly -Sometimes some things are lost in translation between dr. and nurse GENERAL INFO -Very straightforward and business like. She's not mean, but I would not expect her to hold my hand (literally or metaphorically) through anything
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: -Monitoring hours are great and can happen at multiple locations on weekdays -There is an after hours line/on-call service -As a Penn Fertility patient, you get amazing discounts through the Pennsylvania Hospital Pharmacy. I had insurance but I was quoted a price of $1800 for all of my retrieval meds. Gene the pharmacist there is an absolute saint. -My Penn Medicine is actually a pretty amazing portal. Very user friendly. You can look up all the notes your doctor writes about you via the visit summary feature, as well as all of your imaging from major diagnostics (e.g. HSG, surgery) Weaknesses: -Finance is hugely disorganized. You have to stay on top of your bill like white on rice. -Due to high clinic volume, there is usually a 6-8 week wait to get in the cue for a consultation, retrieval, or transfer -They do not upload your bloodwork or ultrasound results to the portal (although you can just take a photo of the patient info screen during monitoring visits) -You are not allowed to speak to the embryologists Neutrals -Penn is a teaching hospital. Fellows tend to be more empathetic and kind because I don't think they have compassion fatigue yet, but when it comes to actual diagnostic procedures, they are clearly not as skilled and take longer. -Closure from Christmas-New Year's means that they do not schedule anything that might need monitoring during that week.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Penn Fertility Care.
Very efficient. Never had to wait more than ten minutes and usually in and out within thirty minutes total. I like that they have soothing images of clouds, etc .on the lights! Each treatment room has its own private bathroom, which is a plus.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care.
I had insurance through Aetna (NJ) so most of my costs were covered. I did pay out of pocket for sperm freezing ($350ish/year), embryo storage ($430/yr), and mock transfers ($240)
Describe Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. O'Neill bases her transfer protocol for untested embryos on anticipated number of euploid embryos by age. For example, if you have three embryos and research estimates 30% aneuploid, she would transfer one embryo, then two, since we'd assume at least one of those embryos would not be viable.
Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
When meeting with Dr. Kalra, she was kind and went over all aspects of tests that would be done and follow-up work that was needed...While under her care, my husband and I went on two have two more miscarriages and she could not have been more compassionate during that time...we did Clomid and IUI, which failed. I then got my period too soon and thankfully a wonderful NP stepped in and viewed my chart and changed me to Letrozole. We then did three more IUI cycles, all which failed.
After my fourth miscarriage, I had a D&E and sent the tissue away to be tested. Penn said that it would take two weeks and they would call with results. Two weeks has passed and no word from them. with all they deal with, you would think they would understand how much patients are waiting on results. I have even followed up with no response!...The four rounds of failed IUI cost me about $1000 out of pocket...while Penn has great nurses and doctors, some of their processes are delayed. Sometimes you need to pursue them for test results. I just think that when you'e involved in fertility treatments, communication is key, and perhaps Penn could be a little better. All of the staff is great, even when trying to get appointments. Kind and compassionate and helpful!
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Kalra is a very kind and knowledgeable woman. We saw her after two natural miscarriages, and the OBGYN pointed us towards Penn to try and get some answers as to why it happened twice. Dr. Kalra sat down with us and mapped out the next steps and what blood work and tests were needed. She explained the process of pregnancy and why miscarriages happen from time to time. While under her care, my husband and I went on two have two more miscarriages and she could not have been more compassionate during that time. She really felt for us and it showed. During the course of treatment, often times you will see the nursing staff and not necessarily your doctor. When I did see Dr. Kalra, she was really great.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I think it is important to ask questions. While she explained everything to us, asking for clarification or more detail can be very important. Often it is very emotional and overwhelming when receiving all of the details, so come prepared with questions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
After having two miscarriages on our own, the OBGYN pointed me towards the fertility clinic at Penn. When meeting with Dr. Kalra, she was kind and went over all aspects of tests that would be done and follow-up work that was needed. She wrote things out in a way that make it easy for a non-medical person to understand. Under her care, I went on to have two more natural miscarriages and she could not have been kinder during these times. She was compassionate and really felt for us. We have done IUI (with no pregnancies), but have not yet moved onto the IVF piece of it.
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After receiving the initial testing back, Dr. Kalra told us to try on our own for a few months. We did and it resulted in a pregnancy that then ended in miscarriage (#3). We met with her again and she told us to try on our own. When nothing happened after 4 months, I started Clomid and timed intercourse. The following month we did Clomid and IUI, which failed. I then got my period too soon and thankfully a wonderful NP stepped in and viewed my chart and changed me to Letrozole. We then did three more IUI cycles, all which failed. During this time, I did not have any communication with Dr. Kalra and had it not been for the WONDERFUL NP, I most likely would have left Penn. Following the IUI failures, we met with Dr. Kalra again and were going to move towards IVF. However, I ended up getting a new job, and we put that on hold for the summer. Low and behold, I ended up pregnant again on my own, with yet another miscarriage (#4). Now we are awaiting results and another doctors visit.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
One of the main reasons I Stayed at Penn was because of the wonderful nursing staff, especially N.P., Kelly Lee. Had Kelly not stepped in and reviewed my chart, I most likely would have sought out a second opinion. The nurses are great and call with results and are so nice and answer any questions you may have! I cant say enough about the nurses here.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
I wish that they knew that while Penn has great nurses and doctors, some of their processes are delayed. Sometimes you need to pursue them for test results. I just think that when you'e involved in fertility treatments, communication is key, and perhaps Penn could be a little better. All of the staff is great, even when trying to get appointments. Kind and compassionate and helpful!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care.
The four rounds of failed IUI cost me about $1000 out of pocket.
Philadelphia - Market

She [Dr. Suleena Kalra] is always very kind and took the time to answer all my questions, especially when I had bad results. I have since learned that I didn’t always get all the details I would have needed, and I think she was less inclined to think outside the box regarding m case (i.e. taking supplements, knowing my hormone levels and what those meant), but she was a great person and I think for more cut and dry cases, she is fabulous.
Strengths [for UPenn]: all staff I met with were kind and compassionate, remembered me when I had appointments even after some time off, and held friendly conversations. Also, their pricing is much more reasonable than other area clinics. Weaknesses: As a result of being such a large clinic, there were times that the level of care didn’t feel personalized, and didn’t include out of the box thinking. I think there could often be a lot of assumptions that the patient knows more than they do. Advice: arm yourself with information and questions before you go in, and continue to advocate for yourself and for more information. They are always responsive when you ask, but if you don’t ask, they won’t tell you.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
She is always very kind and took the time to answer all my questions, especially when I had bad results. I have since learned that I didn’t always get all the details I would have needed, and I think she was less inclined to think outside the box regarding m case (i.e. taking supplements, knowing my hormone levels and what those meant), but she was a great person and I think for more cut and dry cases, she is fabulous.
Read up about infertility before you go in and ask her all the questions you have regarding things like antral follicle count, hormone levels, etc., so you can track them and also understand where you fit. Chances are she has the info but she doesn’t always share it unless you ask.
She always remembered me and spoke to me kindly even if it had been a while since I saw her, and even when the news wasn’t good.
After a few Clomid/IUI cycles where many were canceled because my right ovary was working but my right tube had been removed, we moved onto IVF. The first protocol was the high dose protocol of Gonal F and Menopur with a Lipton primer. It was canceled due to poor response. My second cycle was the Lipton flare protocol. We went to retrieval expecting 2 eggs but the one follicle was empty and the other fell apart overnight. I have never been pregnant. Since then, I had my endometriosis removed and have read about low stimulation protocols working better in patients with DOR. I spoke to her about that and she didn’t agree and said donor eggs would be my best bet. She may be right, but I’m not ready to give up on myself yet, so I am switching clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
Always very nice/compassionate, but also seemed very rushed any time we spoke on the phone, which is usually when I had questions.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: all staff I met with were kind and compassionate, remembered me when I had appointments even after some time off, and held friendly conversations. Also, their pricing is much more reasonable than other area clinics. Weaknesses: As a result of being such a large clinic, there were times that the level of care didn’t feel personalized, and didn’t include out of the box thinking. I think there could often be a lot of assumptions that the patient knows more than they do. Advice: arm yourself with information and questions before you go in, and continue to advocate for yourself and for more information. They are always responsive when you ask, but if you don’t ask, they won’t tell you.
IUI was covered by insurance, so I’m not sure if that. One complete IVF cycle - $8,000 plus approx $4K in meds
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
N/A - I never had an embryo to transfer
2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
My impression of Dr. Kalra is that she is incredibly smart and incredibly busy. I only saw her during consultations. All my other procedures and monitoring appointments were done by someone else (Dr, technician or resident). I did not get a "warm and fuzzy" vibe but, in the end, that was not the most important thing to me. I think the protocol she chose was best for me and when it did not work, she adjusted it.
The clinic [UPenn Fertility Care] has weekend hours which are great. I wish there was more flexibility with monitoring appointments. Having them in the morning only at a certain time is inconvenient if you don't have a traditional 9-5. I have also experienced incredible wait times for appointments. For instance, I was told to show up with a FULL bladder for an IUI and ended up waiting an hour for the procedure. Also, we had a lot of trouble with the financial department in getting set up for IVF. No one would call us back and when they did we got different answers. To this day, we do not know what it will cost us up front or in total.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Come prepared with all your questions because she is impossible to reach outside of specific office visits.
The office has set times for monitoring appointments and a protocol that is rather inflexible. Except for specific consultations, you see whoever is free that day. I also felt that most appointments were rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin IUI, Roohi IVF)
The nurses always got back to me when I called with a question. I felt they were more compassionate and understanding than the doctors.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic has weekend hours which are great. I wish there was more flexibility with monitoring appointments. Having them in the morning only at a certain time is inconvenient if you don't have a traditional 9-5. I have also experienced incredible wait times for appointments. For instance, I was told to show up with a FULL bladder for an IUI and ended up waiting an hour for the procedure. Also, we had a lot of trouble with the financial department in getting set up for IVF. No one would call us back and when they did we got different answers. To this day, we do not know what it will cost us up front or in total.
Mostly covered by insurance. Trigger shot was $30. Clomid/Femara $10. Bloodwork $50. HSG $180. IVF ???? likely in the neighborhood of $7-10k
I was told that, due to my age, only one embryo is recommended. I was not given an option for multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
There were some other errors which I considered minor. For instance, not calling in a medication which caused me to wait. I also received conflicting information on when to have timed intercourse during our first IUI cycle.
Philadelphia - Market

I felt comfortable with Dr. Shah immediately and felt like I was in great hands. Most of my reluctance of recommending her would only come from how Penn Medicine is run and my experience with the nurses. Dr. Shah had a worksheet made up to help guide her conversations with her patients regarding all of the possible causes of infertility and the tests to identify them. It was incredibly thorough and helpful. I have nothing but great things to say about her...
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Be aware that Penn Medicine acts a bit like a team and even if Dr. Shah is your primary RE and guiding your care, you will see any of the doctors at a given procedure and no doctor at all during your monitoring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Shah is warm, straightforward, and whip-smart. She goes over things in as little or as much detail as you are comfortable with.
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Dr. Shah debated between an antagonist protocol (which she selected) and another type of protocol (not sure what that would have been) based on my DOR diagnosis and relatively young (in infertility world) age. The logic for going with the specific protocol was never relayed to me. Did a natural start, 450 gonal f for days 1-5, then ganarelix was added, and I went to gonal f 300 + menopure 150. I had a dominant follicle by day 7 which they warned me might get me cancelled and by day 9 they cancelled the cycle and converted me to IUI that didn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie Huston)
While I liked the other staff in the clinic, I didn't like either of the main nurses at Penn Radnor, Julie or Beth. Julie was my coordinator and she just doesn't have a lot of patience and was frequently confusing. When I was trying to confirm one set of her instructions early on, she made a snarky remark that she had done this many times. I replied back that I hadn't and wanted to make sure that I understood. She sounds condescending on the phone and ordered medications that I didn't need without warning me that I didn't need to pick them up right away (that they were only "in case of"). I would see Beth sometimes during monitoring and I felt as though she was withholding information (probably bad news). She was not my primary contact, however, so my experience with her was minimal.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic at Radnor is well organized and run. The prices for self-pay patients seem to be more reasonable for everything (treatment and meds) than anywhere else I've researched or read about. It is less busy than the office at 3701 Market and for some things you would still need to go to their University City location, but for monitoring, etc, I was at Radnor. However, you will rarely see a physician during your actual treatment. All monitoring is coordinated through the nursing staff. You'll have an ultrasound technician do your scans and a tech to do your blood draws. You sometimes can see a nurse or the nurse pratictioner after your monitoring appt, but your nurse will call in the afternoon with an update to your plan. The entire team including the faculty and the fellows will meet and discuss cases. After a treatment fails, they will discuss recommendations for the next round (I don't know if this is for all cases or just more difficult ones, but it happened for mine without any prompting or request and I got the impression that this is just what they do).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care.
Prices changed July 2016 and I do not know current rates. 6750 covered one retrieval and 2 transfers (1 fresh, 1 frozen or 2 frozen) and ALL embryology, anesthesia, monitoring, bloodwork, mock transfer, etc. Everything. Cancelation before retrieval netted a refund of all but 1500. There were other graduated refunds possible (ie only one transfer, but no embryos to transfer reduced cost to 5000). 1 retrieval and 1 transfer (fresh or frozen) was 5000, but the only refund possible was if your cycle was cancelled before retrieval (cost reduced to $1500). This also included absolutely everything (monitoring, embryology, icsi, bloodwork, education seminar, med training).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
The fertility information does not go into the online portal (mypennmedicine) and so I had no knowledge of my AMH levels until meeting in person with my RE, despite the fact that all tests for other things (and even things like my HSG) are put into the portal. I also wouldn't have a record of my E2, FSH, etc unless my nurse happened to tell me (or I asked) AND I wrote it down. If you like to know exactly what's going on in your body, like I do, this might bother you. There isn't anything here that is "wrong" per se, it just doesn't mesh with how involved I care to be in my own health and treatment.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr Kalra is compassionate but also honest. She tells you the truth about the odds of success. She listens to all of your questions and lets you voice your concerns...Dr Kalra was a great doctor. However, if you're looking to build a close relationship with your doctor this may not be the best place for you. I didn't get to do any of our IUI's or IVF transfers with her. I basically saw her at our consult appointments and when we were discussing our plans. If you got to this practice you will end up with whatever doctor is available at the location that day. It can sometimes feel a bit impersonal.
Like I said previously, the clinic may leave you feeling like you don't have a personal relationship with your doctor. However when I did have appointments with Dr. Kalra I always left feeling confident in our plan and next step. She communicated great and listened and was concerned with how you were dealing with everything mentally as well. They were prompt with the early morning monitoring appointments. The staff was friendly.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I had a good experience overall at Penn Fertility. Dr Kalra was a great doctor. However, if you're looking to build a close relationship with your doctor this may not be the best place for you. I didn't get to do any of our IUI's or IVF transfers with her. I basically saw her at our consult appointments and when we were discussing our plans. If you got to this practice you will end up with whatever doctor is available at the location that day. It can sometimes feel a bit impersonal.
Dr Kalra used all of our day 3 testing results to decide which protocol to use. She said my AMH was within normal range so she used what they called a high responder protocol. It worked and we had a smooth and successful retrieval with embryos to freeze. Our first transfer was unsuccessful but our frozen embryo transfer gave us a BFP.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Roohi)
You are assigned a nurse at the clinic. My nurse was fantastic. She always called when she said we would. She spoke slowly and made sure that I always understood the directions and doses during stims. Roohi always called me back promptly whenever I had a question.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
IUIs were 1000 each not including trigger shot and clomic IVF was 6775 for retrieval and 2 transfers (I ended up doing 1 fresh and 1 frozen) My meds for stims were 1800 Meds for FET 350 Overall they are extremely affordable in comparison to many other clinics
Philadelphia - Market
I wish I could have spoken to her [Dr. Shah] to share some of my concerns including be given the option to have an ultrasound the day of my IUI. Since I suffer from PCOS my progress has always been a little slow so I believe my IUI may have been done too early. I did not get monitored after my IUI. In fact, the office never called and checked on me after my IUI. I was just instructed to call if I get a positive test. If I don’t then I would just call on the 1st day of my cycle.
Strengths [for the nurse at Penn Fertility Care]: very detailed and showed compassion Weakness: at times it was difficult to speak to her...front desk office is in a main hallway which is not private and forces you to have a personal conversation in a public hallway. After an IUI, I did not get a follow up call from nurses or staff to discuss my next options or at least to check on me...$250 for iui...You may only see your doctor once and that’s it
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Strengths: she showed lots of compassion. She was very thorough and I appreciated that about my initial visit. Weak: I wish I could have spoken to her to share some of my concerns including be given the option to have an ultrasound the day of my IUI. Since I suffer from PCOS my progress has always been a little slow so I believe my IUI may have been done too early. I did not get monitored after my IUI. In fact, the office never called and checked on me after my IUI. I was just instructed to call if I get a positive test. If I don’t then I would just call on the 1st day of my cycle.
You may only see your doctor once and that’s it
Dr. Shah spoke with compassion. She was very informative.
Letrozol day 3-7....then trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: very detailed and showed compassion Weakness: at times it was difficult to speak to her
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: location, clean, staff was very friendly and did show compassion Weakness: front desk office is in a main hallway which is not private and forces you to have a personal conversation in a public hallway. After an IUI, I did not get a follow up call from nurses or staff to discuss my next options or at least to check on me.
$250 for iui
2007 - 2012, Unsuccessful
she [Dr. Clarisa Gracia] was very nice. she came into the clinic near the end of my treatments there. I only moved on to another practice because the donor pool they had was much smaller than I hoped and the wait was longer.... the doctors were very caring in the practice but as in any high volume practice - fertility or not - there always seems to be a time crunch.
[U Penn -Radnor's] IA strength and weakness was size. I was very comfortable there and liked the dotors. However, I wanted to move quickly and the donor pool was much smaller than needed. I didn't want to leave the dpctors but needed to to move ahead in my treat,ent... Their donor pool was small and we decided to move to a larger base. We did do a few IUI's and I recall it was a pain to go into the city to do that specific procedure whil everything else was done in radnor.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
she was very nice. she came into the clinic near the end of my treatments there. I only moved on to another practice because the donor pool they had was much smaller than I hoped and the wait was longer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
It was awhile ago so numbers are a bit vague but we started with clomid, and IUI's. then when I had a blighted ovum decided to move to donor eggs. Their donor pool was small and we decided to move to a larger base. We did do a few IUI's and I recall it was a pain to go into the city to do that specific procedure whil everything else was done in radnor.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care.
I don't recall. We did have insurance to cover some of the procedures and I remember that they sat down and went over everything with me. It was overwhelming but they knew their stuff and explained it all.
Clarisa Gracia

2018 - 2019, Consult
So far have only done consultation with Dr. Edwards.... His personality is very warm and inviting making it easier to ask questions.... His strengths are his empathy and compassion for a very difficulty journey. He answers questions in a simple manner and during each encounter he takes his time to explain thing thoroughly. I have never felt rushed when speaking with him.... Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments.
Clinic [University of Pennsylvania] was very cleaned and maintained privacy. Clinic was spacious with a lot of room to move around. Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments. Weakness are parking but the clinic is in center city Philadelphia so that comes with the territory.... Nurses here seemed very informed about the trying to conceive language and seemed empathic toward patients.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
His personality is very warm and inviting making it easier to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
So far we have only been through consultations and are in the works of developing a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic was very cleaned and maintained privacy. Clinic was spacious with a lot of room to move around. Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments. Weakness are parking but the clinic is in center city Philadelphia so that comes with the territory.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care.
So far have only done consultation with Dr. Edwards. Based on my insurance each consult or appointment will typically cost $50.
Philadelphia - Market

Dr. Sondheimer always took his time when speaking to myself and my husband. He genuinely seemed to care about our process and outcomes.... Overall I was very pleased with Dr. Sondheimer's care. He took the time to explain the process to my husband and I and made changes when necessary in order to get the best outcome. He took time to call me to check-in to see how I was doing when we did not get the outcome we were hoping for.
The one weakness I found was the responsiveness on the weekends as there were a few times I never received a call back from the on call staff [UPenn] even though I called various times. The strength is that the clinic was flexible for appointments.... The nurses have been great. The nurses I worked with directly were always very prompt at returning calls/messages and extremely helpful.... My first round of IVF was covered with my insurance.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The one weakness I found was the responsiveness on the weekends as there were a few times I never received a call back from the on call staff even though I called various times. The strength is that the clinic was flexible for appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care.
My first round of IVF was covered with my insurance. I am currently in my second round of IVF and am expecting to have to pay for 1/2 of the cycle out of pocket.
Steven Sondheimer
2011 - 2015, Successful
Dr Edwards explained our situation and options throughout the process. He was compassionate but remained extremely professional. I felt safe, well informed and educated. He provided us the information we needed to make good decisions, based on our needs/goals.
[At Penn Fertility Care] we explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Edwards helped our family achieve our goals. He kept us well informed, took time to explain options, risks and odds. I always felt safe in his care.
Be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
We explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.