6.6

Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087

2012 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Steven Sondheimer] was honest and I felt kept me prepared for a setback or a success. I felt like I always had a plan "B" after each visit so I never really had "false hopes". I also liked that he consulted with other top doctors regarding my care at Penn. He told me their opinions as well and what the plan would be moving forward.... I was a DOR patient based off of egg counts and my AMH level so they treated me very aggressively in my first cycle.
[UPenn's] Strengths- many great doctors that collaborate on cases. Cutting edge research. Ease of appointments. I was always made comfortable, informed and I felt that I was in great hands. You will see a Fellow most likely for ultrasounds (many other practices have techs and don't tell you what is going on while it is happening) Weaknesses- this turned out to be a strength for me personally in hindsight but you see many different fellows/doctors for ultrasounds, IUIs anything but consulting appointments. Your main doctor will be the primary decision maker but you won't see them for every appointment. I wish I knew that upfront and it bothered my during my first cycle but when I came back for the second cycle- I was aware and embraced it and asked many different doctors questions.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
He was honest and I felt kept me prepared for a setback or a success. I felt like I always had a plan "B" after each visit so I never really had "false hopes". I also liked that he consulted with other top doctors regarding my care at Penn. He told me their opinions as well and what the plan would be moving forward. I felt like they genuinely cared whether I got pregnant and would try anything to get me there!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask a lot of questions and request to see him at major appointments. If you aren't comfortable seeing other doctors or fellows, this might not be the practice for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer and his nurse, Rie were incredible throughout my journey. He personally called me back with answers to questions.
Describe the protocols Steven Sondheimer used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I was a DOR patient based off of egg counts and my AMH level so they treated me very aggressively in my first cycle. I forget the name of the protocol but I think it was "mini Lupron". I got canceled after my first ultrasound after having a lead egg (I can't remember the terminology!) so they converted it to an IUI. After that, Dr. Sondheimer treated me with a typical cycle instead of one more used for DOR patients. I used high dosages of Follistim though. I had 6 eggs at my baseline and had 7 mature. They retrieved all and 4 made it to Day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 the first round and I had a singleton (now 4). We transferred two frozen 2 years later and my twins are now 2.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Rie - she has since retired)
Rie was incredible. She listened to my 100s of questions, was always calm and assuring and kept me so prepared. She was an angel!
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Penn Fertility Care.
The appointments were in the AM (I would go before work) so they could also draw blood (if necessary) and it would leave time for the doctors to review results and adjust your meds if necessary. It was a well oiled machine that ran very smoothly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care.
I was fortunate to have been covered by my insurance.
Describe Steven Sondheimer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
The practice encouraged me to transfer 2 each time. I was hesitant during my frozen transfer but I listened and had a multiple pregnancy. Looking back, I wouldn't change it but it was a shock to the system when I found out both took.
2013 - 2015, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Gracia] never hesitated to hug me when I needed one, and didn't blink when I cried. And I cried pretty much every visit. She focused on moving forward rather than my fears of "what if". She was positive without [bs'ing] me.
You need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates...[nurse] Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh... Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She tried her best to be at my appointments. When she saw my name on the schedule, she requested that I wait a few minutes so she could do the fresh IVF transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She is great. However, you need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She never hesitated to hug me when I needed one, and didn't blink when I cried. And I cried pretty much every visit. She focused on moving forward rather than my fears of "what if". She was positive without being bullshitting me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Ugh, Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh. If I had a different nurse during the ultrasound, she would leave me feeling positive. But when Julie would call in the afternoon with my blood results and instructions, she left me feeling hopeless and like the other nurse had lied to me. No one lied to me, Julie was just not as empathetic. She also neglected to call in a very important prescription med, which resulted in hysterical crying on my part, frantic calls to a late night pharmacy and an hCG trigger shot in the bathroom of the pharmacy. I had a miscarriage early in my treatment with Penn and needed to have my hCG levels repeatedly drawn. Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat. I think that was what colored my feelings toward Julie.
Monitoring appointments were all in the mornings which was convenient for me. The earliest appointment was at 7:45 so I was able to be in, out and at work almost on time. Thankfully my job had some flexibility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
I should never have been allowed to do 7 IUIs (3 unmedicated, 4 with Clomid) given my AMH levels. I don't know how that test was neglected as when I first started, I had to give 14 vials of blood. How was an AMH level never taken until our 7th failed IUI?!?!?! When I did my IVF cycle, I went to the pharmacy and got a huge bags of meds. Half of the meds were never used with my protocol and one essential medication (the hCG trigger shot) was not included. Which I didn't realize until the night I needed it, which was after the pharmacy was closed, so thankfully the on-call doctor was able to call it in to a local 24 pharmacy and my husband gave it to me the bathroom. If we ever have to do another IVF cycle, I will be more proactive in the pharmacy questioning whether we need all the meds handed to us and whether all the necessary meds were included.
2015, Unknown Success
Despite her busy schedule, she [Dr. Anuja Dokras] always remembers my face and I love the personal approach that I receive...responds very quickly like within in the hour if I have to ask a question via the patient portal...thoroughly understands women who are diagnosed with PCOS and she is an expert in the field...has fit me in her schedule when I needed to schedule emergency appointments at the last minute due to my health issues.
The clinic [Penn Fertility Care] is small in comparison to other fertility clinics. It feels more personal and not like a sales office...not pushy with trying to sell services i.e. IVF packages, etc. I thoroughly enjoy that as you can go at your own comfort level , process what you need and the support is there if needed...The team is very compassionate and caring. They respond quickly to any inquiries that are made on the patient portal.
How was your experience with Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Dorkas has very great bedside manners, she takes her time to explain things ,and has a very compassionate approach. You are treated as a human being and not as a number. Despite her busy schedule, she always remembers my face and I love the personal approach that I receive. Dr. Dorkas responds very quickly like within in the hour if I have to ask a question via the patient portal. She thoroughly understands women who are diagnosed with PCOS and she is an expert in the field.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Dorkas and her staff are wonderful. If you are someone who has PCOS or suspect you may have PCOS, I would highly recommend her as a physician. Dr. Dorkas has a wonderful personal approach, you will not be disappointed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Dorkas is very compassionate and has a gentle approach for women who dealing with very difficult obstacles in their lives. She takes her time to explain things thoroughly; not only with you as the patient but with your significant other. Dr.Dorkas has fit me in her schedule when I needed to schedule emergency appointments at the last minute due to my health issues. I am truly blessed to be under her care and am hoping for my little miracle to bestowed into my life.
Describe the protocols Anuja Dokras used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Dr. Dorkas has treated my PCOS with Metformin 500 mg. Additionally, I suffer from irregular menses and endometrial polyps, which she has treated with Medroxyprogrestrone 10 mg. Lastly, Dr. Dorkas has prescribed Letrozole in combination with timed intercourse. Unfortunately, my husband and I were not successful in getting pregnant. We will be exploring IVF treatment with Dr. Dorkas in the coming months.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
The nursing staff at Penn Fertility are amazing. The team is very compassionate and caring. They respond quickly to any inquiries that are made on the patient portal.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is small in comparison to other fertility clinics. It feels more personal and not like a sales office. The clinic is not pushy with trying to sell services i.e. IVF packages, etc. I thoroughly enjoy that as you can go at your own comfort level , process what you need and the support is there if needed.
Anuja Dokras

2013 - 2014, Successful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor with a communicative bedside manner, he's [Dr. Kurt Barnhart] probably not your doc. However, if you're interested in someone who knows the latest research, is really into statistics and facts, and has seen the latest treatments and tons of patients, that's his specialty (in my mind). I spent a lot more time in his personal office than I did in a patient/clinical room.
Brenda [a nurse at UPenn] was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
I didn't spend a whole lot of time with Dr. Barnhart, but when I did he was very knowledgeable and informative -- he was kind of science-y, but I liked that because we were dealing with lots of scientific info, probability, and various medical and scientific choices we had to make. So I liked him. But he isn't the warmest, fuzziest doctor, and he only did some of my procedures due to scheduling.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor with a communicative bedside manner, he's probably not your doc. However, if you're interested in someone who knows the latest research, is really into statistics and facts, and has seen the latest treatments and tons of patients, that's his specialty (in my mind). I spent a lot more time in his personal office than I did in a patient/clinical room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
The nurse accessibility and care was very good. -- there are a lot of doctors in the practice, and I really liked pretty much all of them, but not a ton of consistency in who you saw, it just depended on the day you went in. At no point did I feel like a number rather than a human even though they clearly had a "process" but that made it more efficient I thought.
Describe the protocols Kurt Barnhart used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
He started with the least interventionist, IUI, but quickly recommended I consider switching to full IVF when our first attempts weren't successful. I think they expected, due to my numbers and my husband's previous experience, it to be more successful than it was the first time, but then when it wasn't he encouraged us to "step it up" and I was glad about that. He didn't seem focused on success in numbers, though -- he seemed focused on success with me as an individual in having a baby. He was thoughtful about how many embryos to put in, and he knew how to explain my choices at each step of the way and letting us know when there was really no right answer -- and when there sort of was a "right answer" if we wanted to up our chances of getting pregnant. I can't remember the specirics of my protocols -- I did lots of injections and they had me doing the progesterone shots for 10 full weeks after I got pregnant, in order to help the pregnancy succeed . . .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Efymow)
Brenda was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
It's more like a doctor's office than a clinic. For example, I happened to go with a friend to another fertility clinic and it felt more comprehensively about getting you pregnant -- almost a marketing thing, really. Since Penn is a research hospital it was much more about --here's our latest research study, you can sign up, and just more of a doctor's office. I was more than happy to participate in the research though and appreciated being part of that, and I knew that my doctors were up on the latest research and treatments. I have heard that there are other clinics that are just focused on numbers, numbers, numbers, and they are potentially more aggressive with drugs etc, I don't know details on that, but I never felt that way at Penn and felt that I was part of a great health system and system of doctors, nurses and researchers who were contributing to the greater good and also getting us a baby. (Who is the best thing that's every happened! He is so awesome!)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care.
Everything was covered under my health insurance and the process that I had to go through with it was very efficient and easy to navigate with the staff person working on it.

2019 - 2021, Successful
Dr Shah reached out on several occasions throughout treatments, not just through her NP or my RN. She also came to one of my monitoring appointments, unfortunately to discuss cancelling that cycle due to low response...[she] Explained everything, didn’t make promises she couldn’t keep, was compassionate to our situation, worked with us to try to figure out new plans. LISTENED TO ME and our pushback on the embryologists resulted in my pregnancy.
Strengths [of Penn Fertility Care]- they work as a team. If your DR is off that day because they did procedures on the weekends, there’s still a whole team working on your behalf and getting you your next steps. Also all your appts are in the early morning before lunchtime review and afternoon results calls. This is so helpful because the maternity appointments are later in the day- so you’re not in the office with someone pregnant while you’re struggling.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Advocate for yourself, she’ll listen.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I can’t remember details. I know with unexplained infertility, she wanted to try 4-6 IUI’s to see if that would work. We got disheartened after 4 (well, after all) but we agreed to do the 2 more so the months weren’t wasted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
Christina is amazing. Compassionate, helpful, responsive, organized. Always in your corner.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths- they work as a team. If your DR is off that day because they did procedures on the weekends, there’s still a whole team working on your behalf and getting you your next steps. Also all your appts are in the early morning before lunchtime review and afternoon results calls. This is so helpful because the maternity appointments are later in the day- so you’re not in the office with someone pregnant while you’re struggling.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care.
$400/ IUI, ~$6,000 egg retrievals, $~2,000 transfers.
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
n/A
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
I clicked none, I didn’t hVe anything go wrong at this clinic.
Divya Shah
Radnor

Dr. K is very knowledgeable in infertility and does well in explaining it to someone new to the process. She has great bedside manner and made me feel comfortable every step of the way. I appreciate how she's available through phone or EMR messaging and will answer in a timely manner. Even through the phone, I feel that I'm speaking face to face with her as she has a great listening ear, validates my feelings, and answers all my questions in ways that I understand. She takes the time you need and doesn't rush through anything.
Clinic [Suleena Kalra] was clean and well organized. I didn't wait too long either. They have plenty of openings, it just depends which location you're trying to go to. I appreciated how they greeted me, as if I've been there a thousand times before and they knew me. ... Nursing staff was very welcoming and helped answer any questions I had. They made me feel very comfortable in a very personal situation.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
You will enjoy her as a Dr.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. K was great with me and my partner coming in for consultation about starting our family. She was warm but honest and very informative about what our steps were to start the process. She's available through phone and through chart messaging and answers in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic was clean and well organized. I didn't wait too long either. They have plenty of openings, it just depends which location you're trying to go to. I appreciated how they greeted me, as if I've been there a thousand times before and they knew me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care.
Covered mostly by my insurance.
Philadelphia - Market

My husband was diagnosed as having azoospermia (no sperm in semen analysis) and Dr. Masson was very delicate in breaking the news. He also gave us hope by informing us that we could try vitamins, surgical sperm extraction, or look into other options for building a family (donors, adoption, etc.) . He never once made us feel embrassed or ashamed and always gave us hope....My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the new
The nurses [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with....Arrive early, appointments start exactly on time. I have never waited more than 15 minutes before being called back for appointment. Allow extra time to ask questions if needed. Labs and pharmacy are all located close by, literally within blocks of each other or in the same building.... Only costs so far have been cost of consults $50 and all semen analyses have been covered by insurance (out of pocket would have been $100).
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask questions. Dr.Masson is great, I would highly recommend him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson was very sincere and expressed great empathy toward my husband and I during this difficult time.
Describe the protocols Puneet Masson used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the news and allowed us time to “take it all in”. The next day he called us directly to check on us and again asked if we had any questions. Dr. Masson and his staff were always easy and readily available via email and phone calls.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
The nurses were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe Puneet Masson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Puneet Masson

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Scott is always personable encouraging, optimistic and value my opinion and input. He treats my partner and I with a great deal of respect and compassion.... I met Dr. Scott for the first time in 2014. After I went through my first of fourth heartbreaking miscarriages. Dr. Scott gave me his time and full attention for almost 2hrs. He listened to me, held my hands and promise to help me through every process. He is very attentive, a great communicator, passionate, very pleasant and easy to talk to. He treats the whole patient. I am still waiting for my rainbow baby but I couldn’t have been under the care of a better doctor.
UPenn at Washington square is a great facility; it’s clean, the nursing staffs are friendly and welcoming, the patients are treated with respect and they are very prompt with appointment times. The front desk staff could be a little more welcoming.... It is always efficient. A quick in and out. I could go for a monitor and get back to work without being late for work... Erin is very knowledgeable, resourceful, compassionate and an over all great nurse.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Be honest with yourself. Trust Dr. Scott’s plan and protocol.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did lupron 10 units every morning for 12 days, then gonorilex I think. Not sure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin )
Erin is very knowledgeable, resourceful, compassionate and an over all great nurse. She call you back when she says she’s going to. I think she gets burn out at time
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care.
Almost almost 25 thousand
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Scott told me he prefers one embryo transfer due to the risk of multiple, but it is completely up to the patient
Philadelphia - Walnut St
Dr. Coutifaris is the head of Penn Fertily. He is well respected and everyone’s favorite. He is very compassionate, but at the same time professional. He had a nice sense of humor, which was very nice at such difficult times....Dr. Coutifaris is a very caring person. He is also very well educated and he was activiely looking for options. Unfortunately, he ended up taking sabbatical and I had to choose a different doctor.... The embryos were already tested
Very professional and caring team. Since they [U of Penn Fertility Care] are a university hospital, they don’t decline patients as other clinics do. Doctors and nurses are very compassionate and you can tell that they are not in for your money. The only challenge I see is that they have so many patients and sometimes I feel like I am just a number and I don’t always get personalized treatment. Regardless, I have only good things to say about everyone I have worked with at Penn Fertility.
How was your experience with Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care?
I would give this advise to every patient no matter how good their doctor is - be your own advocate and don’t accept no for an answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Christos Coutifaris used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
The embryos were already tested, but were not implanting. We did two ERAs because we only had one viable embyat the end and we wanted to make sure 100% that I was receptive at time of transfer if last good embryo. Unfortunately, it didn’t implant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care.
My nurse takes me very seriously. I have had three doctors and the only constant is my nurse. She knows me well and I know she has my best interest at heart.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Very professional and caring team. Since they are a university hospital, they don’t decline patients as other clinics do. Doctors and nurses are very compassionate and you can tell that they are not in for your money. The only challenge I see is that they have so many patients and sometimes I feel like I am just a number and I don’t always get personalized treatment. Regardless, I have only good things to say about everyone I have worked with at Penn Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care.
$15k.
Describe Christos Coutifaris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Christos Coutifaris

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Kalra] is aware and sensitive to the financial costs of using donor sperm. She is optimistic that IUI will work but understand to our desire to have a baby soon; willing to compromise on the treatment plan. She is honest and caring and always available to answer question or explain something to us. She was very accommodating when my partner had to call into one of our first appointments due to a business trip.
[U Penn] Professional and clean. Typically appointments run on time. Only do ultrasounds and IUI's in the morning which is difficult for someone who doesn't work a traditional schedule...[Nurses] They are excellent. No one judged our relationship status or desire to expand our family. Everyone on the team is compassionate and optimistic for you! It's like having an extra 3-4 people crossing their fingers every month.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Amazing! She is aware and sensitive to the financial costs of using donor sperm. She is optimistic that IUI will work but understand to our desire to have a baby soon; willing to compromise on the treatment plan. She is honest and caring and always available to answer question or explain something to us. She was very accommodating when my partner had to call into one of our first appointments due to a business trip.
Listen to Dr. Kalra and believe that she has your best interest in mind. The process can be very overwhelming and emotional.
Always available to talk about steps, what to expect, when to change courses, and answer general questions.
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Frequent ultrasounds and blood work for baseline and process tracking in each cycle.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
We're lucky to have it all covered by insurance once meeting our deductible
Philadelphia - Market

Dr. Senapati always took time to clearly and thoroughly explain everything. She answered all my questions and even suggested and answered questions I didn't even think to ask. I felt she cared about my experience and outcomes...Dr. Senapati is very dedicated, thorough, smart and clear. I always felt she was doing everything she could to ensure I made informed decisions, had good experiences, and felt supported by the practice. Her nursing team is also very supportive and helpful.
The clinic [University of Pennsylvania] seemed genuinely concerned with ensuring I had a good experience. Wait times weren't always short but they weren't terrible, and were quite good if you went first thing in the morning. The desk staff who checked me in each time were particularly lovely...I loved Erin and the nursing staff that supported me throughout my fertility processes. I spoke with Erin more than any doctor or anyone else at the clinic during my IVF cycle and she was absolutely wonderful.
How was your experience with Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
Trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: ERIN TREDINNICK)
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic seemed genuinely concerned with ensuring I had a good experience. Wait times weren't always short but they weren't terrible, and were quite good if you went first thing in the morning. The desk staff who checked me in each time were particularly lovely.
Describe Suneeta Senapati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
The practice in general seemed very adverse to multiple babies, so they seemed happy I wanted to do genetic testing with just 1 normal embryo transfer.
Suneeta Senapati
2011 - 2012, Successful
He [Dr. Edwards] was willing to listen to concerns and provide options for moving forward. He never pushed any one treatment. He answered questions personally, I was never referred to a nurse for concerns. He wad very reliable and supportive.... I was put on the pill to ease surgery scheduling. I had a laparoscopy done to check for and treat endometriosis. I conceived naturally following the laparoscopy.... He's very willing to help you in whichever ways you think will be best for you.
There were no notable weaknesses. It [U Penn] is a teaching facility so there were extra student involved but I didn't mind. Overall it's a great facility. Things were run very well. Scheduling, billing and treatment were simple.... I do not recall exact costs but know all was covered by insurance and I paid just $35 copay, plus $100 surgical copay. Three post surgical appts were also included.... Everyone was helpful and compassionate
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
He was willing to listen to concerns and provide options for moving forward. He never pushed any one treatment. He answered questions personally, I was never referred to a nurse for concerns. He wad very reliable and supportive.
Be honest about your needs, expectations and ask questions. He's very willing to help you in whichever ways you think will be best for you.
Very kind and always personally responded to calls ad questions
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
Everyone was helpful and compassionate
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
There were no notable weaknesses. It is a teaching facility so there were extra student involved but I didn't mind. Overall it's a great facility. Things were run very well. Scheduling, billing and treatment were simple.
Didn't experience this.
Philadelphia - Market

Dr.Kalra is very understanding and honest with all reports and options. She takes her time to go over all options during all visits. Thank Dr.Kalra for all of her services. Look forwards to continuing my fertility treatment with this office.... Dr.Kalra is very kind and understanding. She will assist you with whatever your concern may be.... The clinic [U of Penn] is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation.
The clinic [U of Penn] is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors.... Nurse Nia was very compassionate and respectable. Always checking in on patients and making sure they are receiving all necessary medication as well as being prepared for each procedures or testing.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nia)
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors. Thank you for your services.
Philadelphia - Market

From first impression he [Dr. Barnhart] was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions... He is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.... He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.... Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
Strength the office [UPenn] is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)... [Nurse] She was funny and polite . Some of the other staff didn’t return my call timely and I didn’t like that.... He [Dr. Barnhart] is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
From first impression he was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions . I like him .
I don’t remember sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Denmaree )
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strength the office is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)
Around 9k
Describe Kurt Barnhart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.
Philadelphia - Market
Dr.Barnhart is very forward with you. I think that’s what I love the most. I have a heart disease and PCOS. Other doctor werent willing to work with me. Dr.Barnhart understand my heart disease and is giving me the best treatment possible.... He knows what he is doing. Just isn’t that heart warming, but if you are looking for someone very true and forward he is your guy.... They always call you by your name. They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file.
Wish they [U Penn] had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.... My insurance pays for most of my treatment. Considering IUI that will be a cost of around $500... [Nurse] Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love... They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
They always call you by your name. They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Wish they had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
I wish I did see her [Dr. Kalra] more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved...She is always warm, always remembers me: I do see her when I'm there but usually half the appts...3 iuis and then ivf. For ivf she did long Lupron, honestly I'm not sure why!...
I wish my nurse [at UPenn] would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps...[Nurses] They remember you and get very involved with you. You feel like you're their only patient...I wish I did see her [Dr. Kalra] more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I wish I did see her more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
To trust your dr. I think a ton of people try to dictate their treatments.. doctors know best and if they are taking a slow approach it's for a reason
3 iuis and then ivf. For ivf she did long Lupron, honestly I'm not sure why!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin treddnick)
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
I wish my nurse would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps
So far insurance coverage
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
I'd love more insight on why a protocal was chosen for me
Philadelphia - Walnut St
She [Dr. Samantha Butts] is incredibly caring and compassionate. I was skeptical when I changed RE practices due to insurance reasons but I feel well cared for with dr butts as my doctor. She is extremely realistic but also optimistic and has given me hope... For IVF she used Lupron and follistim and menopur for the stim. She uses estrace and progesterone to prep for transfer.
They [University of Pennsylvania] did not inform me of specifics regarding when to proceed with steps for a FET. I had to call on my own to get the wheels in motion and the nurse apologized that it was a mistake on their end.... Sometimes I feel like a number and I have to stay very on top of things to get calls back etc.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
She is incredibly caring and compassionate. I was skeptical when I changed RE practices due to insurance reasons but I feel well cared for with dr butts as my doctor. She is extremely realistic but also optimistic and has given me hope.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
She would treat you as if you are her family member. She's very invested in your fertility journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr butts is extremely caring and compassionate.
Describe the protocols Samantha Butts used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care.
I had full coverage for 2 egg retrieval and 2 fresh transfer. But a FET is 2500$
Describe Samantha Butts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
They allowed me to do a 2 embryo transfer for a FET after a failed single embryo fresh transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
They did not inform me of specifics regarding when to proceed with steps for a FET. I had to call on my own to get the wheels in motion and the nurse apologized that it was a mistake on their end.
Samantha Butts

2013 - 2014, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He's [Dr. Barnhart] probably a little bit more research-oriented than some doctors. But very kind, and with a nice manner.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
I really liked Dr. Barnhart. He had a kind way about him, and was obviously deeply involved in research as well, which I am a big fan of. I felt like he was on the cutting edge of his field. And he was very kind. I dealt on a day-to-day basis with his nurse, Brenda, who I loved equally as much. So together, they were a great team.
He's probably a little bit more research-oriented than some doctors. But very kind, and with a nice manner.
I had a very good personal relationship with my nurse, Brenda, who kept me up-to-date daily or whenever I had questions. Dr. Barnhart and the whole team at Penn Fertility care or wonderful. They did seem to know the details about my case, and we're always available to answer questions when needed. They were also very helpful with the financial aspects of our situation. Overall, it was a great team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E)
Her availability when I had any sort of questions whatsoever.
2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
I think Dr. Sondheimer is one of the smartest doctors in the Phila area. I would have stayed there, if I had not moved.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
ask questions, and listen carefully.
Penn staff was very good. Every doctor in the practice knew exactly what you were there for. They were gentle and kind and knew you were going through something stressful, and managed things appropriately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Marie Drinker)
She was so kind and gentle. She made her self available. The only flaw in the process was explaining sub-contanius injections
Philadelphia - Market

She [Dr. Gracia] called me when results required discussion. The only thing I would say is that at Penn oftentimes you communicate with nursing staff and it is not always the same person. I would also say that you have to be more proactive to define the next steps and reach out to the team yourself...[protocol] 1. IUI x 3 2. IUI with Clomid x 1 3. Ovarian stimulation with Lupron, 450 Gonal F cancelled IVF (only 2 follicles)
[Penn Fertility Care] Staff was very attentive, especially NP Kelly and US tech, everyone was patient and coached me through the steps of every procedure. Things were done quickly without waiting too much...High-volume place, and not a place if you expect to see the same people and always have your doctor there when you come in. On the other hand, everything is done efficiently. Staff is kind and attentive.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
Overall I did not have any issues with Dr Gracia or her team. She called me when results required discussion. The only thing I would say is that at Penn oftentimes you communicate with nursing staff and it is not always the same person. I would also say that you have to be more proactive to define the next steps and reach out to the team yourself.
Be prepared and ask for some of the treatment options. Educate yourself before meeting with any RE doctors.
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Devenne Baker)
Everyone was great, explained things well. Things were done as explained.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care.
Procedures and up to two IVF cycles were covered by my insurance since I work at Penn (which is why I chose this particular clinic)
Describe Clarisa Gracia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
2015 - 2019, Consult
[Dr. Monica Mainigi] She really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary...Voice your concerns to her but do your own research prior to each appointment to have an educated discussion...She gave me HRT for pre-menopause symptoms and anovulation. She gave me a very low dosage she said I coukd take for the rest of my life.
[clinic of Penn Fertility Care] They are organized with keeping records as well. However they may not always update records in a timely manner. So you should always utilize the online tool to ensure everything is reflected properly...She [Dr. Mainigi] really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary..
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
She really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary. I felt and still feel like I could discuss anything with her. I would go back to her at any time to continue treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
She is very personable and always felt like a “girlfriend”!
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Reputation from penn medicine is strong. They are organized with keeping records as well. However they may not always update records in a timely manner. So you should always utilize the online tool to ensure everything is reflected properly.
Monica Mainigi
Philadelphia - Market
Very compassionate and honest doctor. He has helped two of my friends successfully. I would recommend to any friend. Dr. Edwards tried different things with me, but I was unsuccessful. He still checks on me and is interested in my progress.... He used clinks for IUI and froze all embryos for PGS due to my prior natural miscarriages. All my FETs were controlled (medicaged).... I was 34 and he fevimmended we don’t transfer two at a time. I am now almost 39 and still not pregnant...
Very caring and advanced. My concern that they [University of Pennsylvania Fertility Care] don’t do an overall holistic personalized testing. I am still unexplained after being with them for over 2.5 years. They have helped two of my friends and my friends are very happy with the care they received.... [the nurse was] Very caring. Took my case personally. I have her cell phone and can text her if I need to. She is my advocate.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Be your best advocate with any doctor out there.
I can’t recall exactly. He used clinks for IUI and froze all embryos for PGS due to my prior natural miscarriages. All my FETs were controlled (medicaged).
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Very caring and advanced. My concern that they don’t do an overall holistic personalized testing. I am still unexplained after being with them for over 2.5 years. They have helped two of my friends and my friends are very happy with the care they received.
$30k maybe.