6.6

Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087

2019 - 2021, Successful
Dr Shah reached out on several occasions throughout treatments, not just through her NP or my RN. She also came to one of my monitoring appointments, unfortunately to discuss cancelling that cycle due to low response...[she] Explained everything, didn’t make promises she couldn’t keep, was compassionate to our situation, worked with us to try to figure out new plans. LISTENED TO ME and our pushback on the embryologists resulted in my pregnancy.
Strengths [of Penn Fertility Care]- they work as a team. If your DR is off that day because they did procedures on the weekends, there’s still a whole team working on your behalf and getting you your next steps. Also all your appts are in the early morning before lunchtime review and afternoon results calls. This is so helpful because the maternity appointments are later in the day- so you’re not in the office with someone pregnant while you’re struggling.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Advocate for yourself, she’ll listen.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I can’t remember details. I know with unexplained infertility, she wanted to try 4-6 IUI’s to see if that would work. We got disheartened after 4 (well, after all) but we agreed to do the 2 more so the months weren’t wasted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
Christina is amazing. Compassionate, helpful, responsive, organized. Always in your corner.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths- they work as a team. If your DR is off that day because they did procedures on the weekends, there’s still a whole team working on your behalf and getting you your next steps. Also all your appts are in the early morning before lunchtime review and afternoon results calls. This is so helpful because the maternity appointments are later in the day- so you’re not in the office with someone pregnant while you’re struggling.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care.
$400/ IUI, ~$6,000 egg retrievals, $~2,000 transfers.
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
n/A
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
I clicked none, I didn’t hVe anything go wrong at this clinic.

2018 - 2020, Successful
I liked how quickly and candidly she [Dr. Samantha Butts] delivered information to me and I felt her warm bedside manner which confirmed the previous reviews that I had read about her.However, throughout the process, our communication declined. It became very difficult to get in contact with her directly even when using the portal, most times there were repeated follow ups, and as changes occurred during the process a plan that was initially communicated and agreed upon would be changed with little to no communication /explanation which created further delays.
My nurse was wonderful [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care]. She answered my questions throughly and those she could not answer she referred to the RE...The monitoring appointments were from 6:45 to 9 am and they were very convenient for my work schedule...2019, Invocell was $6500 and IVF was $8500...The clinic is very organized. The ambiance of the waiting room is not intimidating; it’s like any other Dr’s office. The staff is helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. If you park in the garage, bring your parking ticket and they can validate it for you.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Samantha Butts was recommended to me by my GYN. During our first consultation, she made me feel at ease and answered all my questions in detail. I liked how quickly and candidly she delivered information to me and I felt her warm bedside manner which confirmed the previous reviews that I had read about her.However, throughout the process, our communication declined. It became very difficult to get in contact with her directly even when using the portal, most times there were repeated follow ups, and as changes occurred during the process a plan that was initially communicated and agreed upon would be changed with little to no communication /explanation which created further delays. Once she and I had a discussion about the lack of and difficulties in our communication, it improved immediately and our standards of communication has remained consistent. Furthermore, she offers great medical insights on what may be going on with you and your cycle and makes recommendations based upon these insights which eliminates the cookie cutter response and approach.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
At the initial onset and throughout the process, as needed, express to her your communication needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Initially, I felt like a number, but as the process continued I felt like she dealt with me more compassionately.
Describe the protocols Samantha Butts used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Before starting any process, a hysterosalpingogram was performed and due to the results a laparoscopy followed. Once these procedures were completed, discussions about IVF followed. The IVF protocol I was prescribed was Lupron 10 units & Gonal F 400 units for egg retrieval resulted in 24 eggs being retrieved. This protocol was used because my previous cycle was canceled.The IVF protocol for frozen transfer was Lupron & Progesterone which resulted in a positive pregnancy which was later on miscarried.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Houser)
My nurse was wonderful. She answered my questions throughly and those she could not answer she referred to the RE. She was very accessible via telephone and the portal. She performed demonstrations on how to administer the medications and she was present for lining checks and egg counts/progression checks.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Penn Fertility Care.
The monitoring appointments were from 6:45 to 9 am and they were very convenient for my work schedule. Your wait time was minimal and you were seen, in and out quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care.
2019, Invocell was $6500 and IVF was $8500. Both included single embryo transfer, mock transfer, blood draws, ultrasound checks, and storage. IVF transfers were $2500.00. In 2020, IVF transfers are $3500.
Describe Samantha Butts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Her approach was elective single embryo transfer for both the fresh and frozen transfer. However, I inquired about multiple embryo transfers due to my age and she discussed with me the pros, cons, and trade offs and she is willing to transfer multiples.
Philadelphia - Market

He [Dr. Scott Edwards] takes a while to get into as a new patient, but once the plan of care is established, things feel like they move along in a reasonable timeframe. Decisions are made by him as your doctor, but often times, tests are done by the doctor that is assigned to the service at the time of your appointment...Always candid conversation, and I appreciate his conservative approach. I never felt like procedures or tests were ordered for the sake of it...
[Penn Fertility Care] is big - you have to self-advocate to get in the door and have a solid understanding of your finances/insurance prior to going in. My largest complication is going back between medical billing and the insurance company to get items covered...Aubrey [nurse] is an advocate on every level, quick to respond, and sets clear expectations.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Always candid conversation, and I appreciate his conservative approach. I never felt like procedures or tests were ordered for the sake of it; and if I showed a concern in an area, he would include testing. My experiences are always part of the conversation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
He takes a while to get into as a new patient, but once the plan of care is established, things feel like they move along in a reasonable timeframe. Decisions are made by him as your doctor, but often times, tests are done by the doctor that is assigned to the service at the time of your appointment (example, he does retrievals on Thursdays ... if it's another day, a different doc will do it), but that is also what keeps the process moving forward.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Edwards always take time to discuss my priorities and helps line them up with the medical process and expectation. Each visit feels like my goals and concerns are reflected in the plan of care. I never feel rushed and he includes my husband in the conversation.
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
This is an unfair question - each treatment strategy should be different based on what is impacting infertility. Standard tests were done (HSG, SGH, Mock Transfer, more bloodwork than ever in my life, many baseline ultrasounds).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Aubrey)
She.Is.Amazing! Aubrey is an advocate on every level, quick to respond, and sets clear expectations. Honestly - Dr. Edwards Nursing staff were the ones to show the most compassion when I miscarried on 12/20/19 (more than my OB, more than my family ... ).
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Penn is big - you have to self-advocate to get in the door and have a solid understanding of your finances/insurance prior to going in. My largest complication is going back between medical billing and the insurance company to get items covered. (Not entirely sure if that is more insurance or clinic related.)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care.
Penn is in-network with our kick-ass insurance provider. . . I paid $1500 out of pocket and didn't ask the rest.
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Again - each medical situation is different. He approaches every decision from an individual approach.
Philadelphia - Walnut St
Dr. Kalra will only perform single embryo transfer for women my age as per ASRM guidelines...The antagonist protocol was used for me as I was at high risk of OHSS given PCOS. I was monitored closely with labwork and ultrasounds...She thoroughly explained the risks and benefits of each of these additional procedures, and suggested another transfer prior to proceeding with these
The Penn Fertility physicians work as a team. You have a primary doctor, but your procedures and visits will be performed by whoever is in the office / surgical center that day...Although you see your own doctor rarely, it is great to be seen by all the members of the team - you get multiple perspectives from talented folks!..
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Kalra is extremely bright and up-to-date on the latest recommendations. She continues to be involved in several research studies and is on the board of key reproductive endocrinology societies. I felt that I could trust her recommendations 100% throughout the course of my treatment. That being said, I also felt that she was extremely receptive to my input. I was incredibly fortunate with my retrieval protocol - 49 eggs were extracted and 18 turned into high-quality blastocysts. I was disappointed when my first transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test (although Dr. Kalra had informed me that there was at least a 50% chance this would be the case), and I spoke with her at this juncture. I asked for additional workup - a hysteroscopy as well as PGS testing. She thoroughly explained the risks and benefits of each of these additional procedures, and suggested another transfer prior to proceeding with these. At this point, I wanted a baby as soon as possible, and I voiced my interest in proceeding with both of these before the next transfer cycle. While this was not her recommendation, she respected my wishes - my hysteroscopy demonstrated a uterine polyp and PGS testing brought our yield down to 7 normal embryos. I became pregnant with my second transfer and am currently in my second trimester. Dr. Kalra is incredibly well-informed and has an evidence-based approach - both qualities I really appreciate. What I came to love over the course of my care was that she also VERY much cares about her patients' interests and chose to ultimately go along with what we hoped for as long it did not lead to any additional risk to me or the embryos. I couldn't have asked for a better physician!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Trust the process and trust your doctor. IVF can be a mentally taxing process - all the waiting, the unknowns, the expense, etc. Dr. Kalra and the rest of the physicians at Penn Fertility are the best of the best. Let them take the reigns and carry forward. Don't hesitate to ask questions and voice your concerns - they will listen to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Kalra and her staff were consistently professional, caring, and well-informed. I felt that I was in the best of hands throughout my medical and surgical care.
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Madeline)
Madeline was excellent! Well-informed, in constant communication with Dr. Kalra and the rest of the Penn physicians. There were rare instances when I had to remind the nursing team specifics of my case - overall, they were absolutely on top of it.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The Penn Fertility physicians work as a team. You have a primary doctor, but your procedures and visits will be performed by whoever is in the office / surgical center that day. For example, I had my initial consult with Dr. Kalra, about ~20 labwork/ultrasound appointments with the techs/nurses, my retrieval with Dr. Gracia, one transfer by another physician, telemedicine visit with Dr. Kalra, hysteroscopy by Dr. Kalra (~almost 1 year after my first appointment with her), then transfer by another phyisican. Although you see your own doctor rarely, it is great to be seen by all the members of the team - you get multiple perspectives from talented folks!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care.
We were fortunate to have insurance cover 90% of consults, procedures, and medications.
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. Kalra will only perform single embryo transfer for women my age as per ASRM guidelines. Transferring additional embryos is not an option unless you face extenuating circumstances.
Philadelphia - Walnut St

Dr. K is very knowledgeable in infertility and does well in explaining it to someone new to the process. She has great bedside manner and made me feel comfortable every step of the way. I appreciate how she's available through phone or EMR messaging and will answer in a timely manner. Even through the phone, I feel that I'm speaking face to face with her as she has a great listening ear, validates my feelings, and answers all my questions in ways that I understand. She takes the time you need and doesn't rush through anything.
Clinic [Suleena Kalra] was clean and well organized. I didn't wait too long either. They have plenty of openings, it just depends which location you're trying to go to. I appreciated how they greeted me, as if I've been there a thousand times before and they knew me. ... Nursing staff was very welcoming and helped answer any questions I had. They made me feel very comfortable in a very personal situation.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
You will enjoy her as a Dr.
Dr. K was great with me and my partner coming in for consultation about starting our family. She was warm but honest and very informative about what our steps were to start the process. She's available through phone and through chart messaging and answers in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic was clean and well organized. I didn't wait too long either. They have plenty of openings, it just depends which location you're trying to go to. I appreciated how they greeted me, as if I've been there a thousand times before and they knew me.
Covered mostly by my insurance.
Philadelphia - Market

She [Dr. Gracia] called me when results required discussion. The only thing I would say is that at Penn oftentimes you communicate with nursing staff and it is not always the same person. I would also say that you have to be more proactive to define the next steps and reach out to the team yourself...[protocol] 1. IUI x 3 2. IUI with Clomid x 1 3. Ovarian stimulation with Lupron, 450 Gonal F cancelled IVF (only 2 follicles)
[Penn Fertility Care] Staff was very attentive, especially NP Kelly and US tech, everyone was patient and coached me through the steps of every procedure. Things were done quickly without waiting too much...High-volume place, and not a place if you expect to see the same people and always have your doctor there when you come in. On the other hand, everything is done efficiently. Staff is kind and attentive.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
Overall I did not have any issues with Dr Gracia or her team. She called me when results required discussion. The only thing I would say is that at Penn oftentimes you communicate with nursing staff and it is not always the same person. I would also say that you have to be more proactive to define the next steps and reach out to the team yourself.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
Be prepared and ask for some of the treatment options. Educate yourself before meeting with any RE doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Devenne Baker)
Everyone was great, explained things well. Things were done as explained.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care.
Procedures and up to two IVF cycles were covered by my insurance since I work at Penn (which is why I chose this particular clinic)
Describe Clarisa Gracia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.

2014 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Gracia] is a great RE and has always made me feel that she cared about my treatment and wanted me to have a baby. Be educated and direct about what you would like to try and she is often receptive...For my first cycle an agonist protocol was used. I produced a lot of eggs but only had 1 left on day 5 to transfer. For my next 2 cycles antagonist protocols with human growth hormone (both freeze all and then frozen embryo transfers) were used and these were more successful (4 embryos and then 3 embryos to freeze).
My first cycle [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] was about $10,500. My second cycle was $5500 ( and $2000 for an additional frozen embryo transfer cycle). My third cycle was $8500. None of these prices included medications which were an additional $2500-$3500 each full cycle. There are also embryo storage fees that are about $250 every few months...Penn Fertility is competent, caring and responsive when there is a concern. They can be a less aggressive than I would prefer in their approach at times but can usually be convinced to try something when pushed.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
I have found Dr. Gracia to be intelligent, responsive and warm. She is generally quite receptive as well but there are times that I feel she could be a bit more open to a different idea or a less studied approach or intervention.
She is a great RE and has always made me feel that she cared about my treatment and wanted me to have a baby. Be educated and direct about what you would like to try and she is often receptive.
She has called me from her personal cell number before when I was worried about a cycle and needed information and reassurance. She also called me back when she was on vacation when I was in the hospital having a preterm delivery and losing my baby at 20 weeks. She greets me with a hug when I have had a hard time or when she hasn’t seen me in a while.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E.)
Brenda treated me well and was willing to listen to my concerns. She also helped me to figure out the most cost effective way to purchase my medications.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
My first cycle was about $10,500. My second cycle was $5500 ( and $2000 for an additional frozen embryo transfer cycle). My third cycle was $8500. None of these prices included medications which were an additional $2500-$3500 each full cycle. There are also embryo storage fees that are about $250 every few months.
My doctor was willing to do either eSET or 2 embryo transfer depending on the situation and my preference.
Philadelphia - Market

Despite seeing several providers for regular visits, Dr. O'Neill has gone out of her way to be my provider for significant moments in my course of treatment, even when she was not the provider-of-the-day. Also, my partner has not been able to make it to many of my appointments, but Dr. O'Neill always thinks to ask how she is doing and how we are feeling in the fertility care process... I appreciate her careful balance between expressing optimism and hope, and being realistic about the process of fertility care. I would recommend her without any hesitation to any of my friends or family members in need of fertility care.
I have PCOS, and was put on letrozole protocol (days 4-8), as it is shown to be more effective than Clomid in PCOS. Given that we have the expense of donor sperm, Dr. O'Neill offered to do monitored cycles with trigger shots to optimize our timing for IUI insemination. She also offered to let us use home OPKs if we preferred to have a less invasive/clinical approach to conception as a lesbian couple without "proven infertility" (by insurance standards). We opted for the monitored cycles, but appreciated her sensitivity to our situation. We have not been successful in our first four cycles so far, and are in the TWW for our 5th.
How was your experience with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. O'Neill has a warm and engaging demeanor. She is thorough and accessible in her explanation of options and procedures. She is understanding of the financial pressures of using donor sperm and makes sure my wife and I are fully on board with the plan at each step of the process. I appreciate her careful balance between expressing optimism and hope, and being realistic about the process of fertility care. I would recommend her without any hesitation to any of my friends or family members in need of fertility care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Be open and honest about your needs and desires, and never shy away from asking questions about your treatment. Dr. O'Neill will truly partner with you in this process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Penn Fertility Care works on a group practice model, where the physicians rotate coverage for procedures, weekend coverage, etc. Despite seeing several providers for regular visits, Dr. O'Neill has gone out of her way to be my provider for significant moments in my course of treatment, even when she was not the provider-of-the-day. Also, my partner has not been able to make it to many of my appointments, but Dr. O'Neill always thinks to ask how she is doing and how we are feeling in the fertility care process.
Describe the protocols Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy has been available to answer any questions along the way and to clarify timing for treatments. Any questions she cannot answer she passes up the chain to Dr. O'Neill.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic runs very efficiently for monitoring appointments in the morning. It would be nice if they had even earlier monitoring appointments available since so many of their patients work in healthcare fields and are likewise expected to be at work at 7 am. All of the clinical staff have been appropriate regarding our care as a same-sex couple, but some of the front desk employees consistently ask after "my husband" when I check in for appointments. One thing to be aware of is that children are allowed in the waiting area, which is understandable for couples trying to conceive a subsequent child, but can be painful for those of us struggling to conceive our first.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care.
IUI cycles are $1000 plus meds
Describe Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill
Philadelphia - Market

The nursing staff [Penn Fertility Care] have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system....Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Mainigi is thorough, communicative, compassionate, and incredibly detail-oriented. During a really vulnerable time, she completely put my partner and me at ease. She knew so many details about my story during each of our conversations and was able to talk about my medical history in detail without even glancing at my chart. She is incredibly prepared for each appointment. She's also very empathetic and completely understands the delicate balance between emotional urgency and cost. Would recommend to anyone -- She's the best!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Provide her with as many details as possible, as she takes everything into consideration when creating an individualized plan. She's also incredibly honest and communicative, so you'll get thorough answers to your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Even if weeks -- or, in one case, months -- go by without an appointment, Dr. Mainigi always cites specific details about my experiences. She maintains eye contact the whole time rather than looking at a screen. This suggests that she both takes detailed notes after each appointment and reviews her patients' charts carefully before each appointment. I have never before had a doctor who is that detailed and prepared.
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After my initial testing (bloodwork, ultrasound), I had a hysteroscopy to evaluate whether or not I had a uterine polyp. Dr. Mainigi wanted to take this step after one of my ultrasounds because the alternative was to wait and do a second ultrasound weeks later -- which, in addition to not being efficient, wouldn't have enabled her to treat any polyps if she found them. Post procedure, she recommended that I begin IUI because she knew that I had already been trying for a long time and was eager to move forward as quickly as possible. She was very understanding when I delayed this by a couple of months after finding out that my insurance doesn't cover any fertility treatments, and supported my decision to try Clomid alone for two months. When that didn't work, we started the IUI process. I'm undergoing my first round now -- She generally recommends 3 rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The nursing staff have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections (which I have not had) cost $2000, and a round of IVF is $8000. This is relatively comparable to the costs I've seen at other clinics in this area with the exception of the IUI, which seems to be a bit pricier than other clinics nearby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care.
I had a great insurance plan during my initial visits and hysteroscopy, so I only had to pay $10 copays. Under my new insurance, I've had to pay for everything. The Clomid costs about $16/month (for 10 pills). A round of IUI is $1000 and a round of IVF is $8000. I was also told that IUI with injections is $2000 but I haven't undergone this procedure and don't know very much about it. Those prices do not include associated prescriptions. The one injection for my IUI was around $35 under my insurance plan. I believe I paid around $100 for my most recent consultation.
Philadelphia - Market

Dr Barnhart was very knowledgeable and thorough. He was kind but direct. You could tell that he was passionate about his field and he wants to get you pregnant. After my failed fresh cycle he was supportive and just as eager to try again as I was.... The clinic [U of Penn] is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions.
the Clinic [University of Pennsylbania] has early hours they are fast and efficient and the office is clean. I go to the market st location so it is a little annoying having to park but they do validate your parking which is nice....The clinic is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions.... The IVF package did not include embryo freezing, testing, or a mov transfer.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Barnhart was thorough and caring. The clinic is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions. I do feel like he was not that present for my cycles as I am sure he was involved behind the scenes managing everything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Know that he isn’t a fluffy guy, he is matter of fact and to the point which I appreciate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Kurt Barnhart used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
My fresh cycle and retrieval cycle I was on a “high responder” protocol. My stim meds started out low and I used them for 9 days before trigger. I was only on progesterone for yhe transfer and it was not successful. For my frozen transfer I was on an antagonist protocol. I took Lupron during my leutal phase, got a cycle then started estrace, aspirin and started progesterone 6 days before transfer. Currently waiting to see if this was successful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Demaree)
Demaree is an ANGEL. I would have been lost with out her. She is compassionate, smart and organized. She managed my care and appointments and listened to me. I never felt like I was bothering her and I truly felt like she was in this with me !
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
the Clinic has early hours they are fast and efficient and the office is clean. I go to the market st location so it is a little annoying having to park but they do validate your parking which is nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care.
The IVF package did not include embryo freezing, testing, or a mov transfer.
Describe Kurt Barnhart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Barnhart was open to transferring 2 embryos after my failed fresh cycle.

2019, Consult
Dr. Shah was very personable. She gave her full attention to my husband and I, gave us all of the information, and answered all of our questions. She even illustrated and wrote notes on paper for us...explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us...We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
[University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care's] strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia...She [nurse] explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number...Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Divya’s strengths include showing compassion, being detail oriented, knowledgeable, and thorough. I haven’t had any negative experiences with Dr. Divya. She explained what would happen every step of the way and also explained the results to all of our testing. She also explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us.
My advice to anyone would be to be prepared with questions. Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
We haven’t started any treatment as of yet, but she recommended IVF for us. We’ll be going over the details at our next appointment.
The nurse was just as nice and knowledgable as Dr. Shah. She explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic’s strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia.
I haven’t completed treatment, but I believe IVF will cost about $15,000. Medications alone will cost a couple thousand and egg freezing will cost about $500 for 3 months (I believe).
She stated that for young couples, I believe under 35 years of age, she would recommend single embryo transfer, but I think it would ultimately be the patient’s decision.
2017 - 2019, 13 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Butts was extremely thorough when developing my treatment protocol. She requested surgery records from my OBGYN and used all the information gathered to give me predictions of my chances of success with retrieval cycles and my overall chances of conception in general. As a patient who tends to worry, Dr. Butts was able to assuage my fears with evidence based information and years of experience. I truly felt that we were in this journey together and that she would be willing to do whatever possible to help me achieve success.
Penn is a busy clinic. Because of that there is a whole team involved in your care and you may not see the same doctor for every appointment or procedure. I had two other doctors for two of my retrievals,and both were excellent. One weakness, if I had to name one, was that it was rather difficult obtaining medical records when they were requested from the office. They outsource to a company called MRO, but this company did not send the complete records that I had requested.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
As with any doctor, develop a list of questions and feel free to ask for explanations as often necessary. As a difficult to manage case, I had many concerns along the way, but Dr. Butts was always responsive and able to provide answers to my questions.
Dr. Butts took the time to review my complicated medical history, including ovarian cyst removal surgery, prior to developing my individualized treatment plan. She was always focused on the details of my specific case rather than treating me with a generic standard protocol and approach to treatment.
Initially we tried estrogen pill priming, then a course of daily Gonal-F and Menopur with ganirelix added at the end of the cycle. The outcome was initially as expected. For the next cycle, Dr. Butts suggested a different protocol with estrogen priming, then twice daily micro dose Lupron and daily Gonal F. We saw improvement in results the second time, which really boosted my confidence is Dr. Butt’s ability to alter the protocol using information gained from previous cycles. We used he second protocol for the third cycle as well which was successful.
Amy was very compassionate. Whenever she would call with results she would focus on the positive “growth is happening!” and “don’t worry, we will get some eggs this time” which I needed at times when I feared the treatment would not work on me as a poor responder.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
All costs were paid out of pocket. Fees for an egg freezing cycle were extremely reasonable. Penn gets a drug discount that is passed on to the patient. I paid 1/3 the cost of medications compared to what I would have paid at another clinic, saving me thousands of dollars. Of course I would have paid full price is necessary, but getting the same medications for less was a nice benefit.
I have not gotten to this stage yet.
Philadelphia - Market

My husband was diagnosed as having azoospermia (no sperm in semen analysis) and Dr. Masson was very delicate in breaking the news. He also gave us hope by informing us that we could try vitamins, surgical sperm extraction, or look into other options for building a family (donors, adoption, etc.) . He never once made us feel embrassed or ashamed and always gave us hope....My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the new
The nurses [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with....Arrive early, appointments start exactly on time. I have never waited more than 15 minutes before being called back for appointment. Allow extra time to ask questions if needed. Labs and pharmacy are all located close by, literally within blocks of each other or in the same building.... Only costs so far have been cost of consults $50 and all semen analyses have been covered by insurance (out of pocket would have been $100).
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask questions. Dr.Masson is great, I would highly recommend him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson was very sincere and expressed great empathy toward my husband and I during this difficult time.
Describe the protocols Puneet Masson used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the news and allowed us time to “take it all in”. The next day he called us directly to check on us and again asked if we had any questions. Dr. Masson and his staff were always easy and readily available via email and phone calls.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
The nurses were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe Puneet Masson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Puneet Masson
2015 - 2019, Consult
[Dr. Monica Mainigi] She really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary...Voice your concerns to her but do your own research prior to each appointment to have an educated discussion...She gave me HRT for pre-menopause symptoms and anovulation. She gave me a very low dosage she said I coukd take for the rest of my life.
[clinic of Penn Fertility Care] They are organized with keeping records as well. However they may not always update records in a timely manner. So you should always utilize the online tool to ensure everything is reflected properly...She [Dr. Mainigi] really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary..
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
She really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary. I felt and still feel like I could discuss anything with her. I would go back to her at any time to continue treatment.
She is very personable and always felt like a “girlfriend”!
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Reputation from penn medicine is strong. They are organized with keeping records as well. However they may not always update records in a timely manner. So you should always utilize the online tool to ensure everything is reflected properly.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Divya Shah] is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
[UPenn is] Organized and caring!! I always felt and feel important to them. I have never felt like a number!! They are prompt and informative. The financial people are also amazing at helping navigate you through the insurance coverage you might have and fee schedules!!... They [monitoring appts] were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
She is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
Come prepared with your questions and have an understanding of the process. I feel like having a handle on things and knowing what to ask shows that you are ready to make informed decisions and that you are completely invested in the process. She will explain and re-explain anything you don’t understand. She will give you realistic expectations and she will guide you toward the best options for your specific situation!
My doctor and the clinic always made me feel like my feelings, questions and requests were extremely important. I never felt like I was a number in Dr. Shah’s eyes!
I did two iuis with her using an antagonist protocol, then we did and hsg which showed I more than likely have a blocked right tube. We tried a microdose Lupron ivf protocol which never led to a retrieval and was cancelled on cycle day 13 after no growth. I am currently in the tww after a succeful ivf cycle called the estrogen patch protocol and an antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
Always willing to listen, respectful, knowledgeable and caring!! They all go above and beyond the call of duty.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
They were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
I have insurance coverage to a certain capped amount, so I only paid a copay for dr visits and for donor sperm related costs. Medication coverage limits were reached so I pay all Meds out of pocket.
Because of my low amh and my age, we decided to transfer two eggs to give me the best chance of a positive pregnancy test. I completely agree.
Radnor

Dr Senapati explained the entire process in great detail...When I first went to see Dr Senapati I didn't know what to expect. She explained all the procedures such as IUI and IVF in great detail. I believe she could come off a little more compassionate as some of the other doctors I've met in the practice....Dr Senapati throws a lot of information at you at once. Make sure you bring your questions and you take down notes....
All staff [Upenn- Market] is very friendly and willing to answer any questions....My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing....Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was
How was your experience with Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Senapati explained the entire process in great detail. If you have a question, my nurses got back to me the same day. When I went in to see my doctor or for blood work and sonogram I was seen within 15-20 minutes. All staff is very friendly and willing to answer any questions.
Describe the protocols Suneeta Senapati used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I began birth control for a few weeks and then went on 10ml of lupron. On the second day of my period I had a baseline ultrasound to check my ovaries and lining. I started injections (5ml lupron in the morning and 375ml Gonal F in the evening). I had bloodwork and ultrasounds to check my hormone levels and follicle development 4 days later and my dose changed to 5ml Lupron, 300 Gonal F and 150 menopur for the rest of the days. I took my HCG trigger shot on day 11 and had my egg retrieval on day 13 (36 after my trigger shot.) I sent my embryos out for PGS testing and i'm waiting on the results. I don't know the strategies behind or rational because I just did what the nurse told me to do.
My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing. After my eggs were retrieved she called and gave me updates.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was. Ask questions about what is your next step. The wait time is under 15-20 minutes. The staff is very friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care.
From June 2017 until now $62,567 in medical expenses not including prescription drugs. I still have to do the IVF transfer after the PGS results come in.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
My nurse forgot to call in a script. When I called her, she called it in right away. The receptionist forgot to enter in the computer that I was there for my IUI appointment. My IUI was done 37.5 hours instead of 36 hours after my trigger shot.
Suneeta Senapati

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Butts wants me to have success. She listens to my questions/concerns/needs and has always agreed not to give up until I felt I was finished. When everything we had tried wasn’t working, she would consult with colleagues and come up with a new plan. She makes every effort to be the one to perform all of my procedures, and calls me personally to discuss any outcome or treatment plan.
They [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous...I was always called by my doctor or my nurse with results, instructions, etc. They always made me feel like they were taking a personal interest in my case.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Try to research everything you can to find out what’s going on with your body. And don’t be afraid to have opinions or suggestions and stick up for yourself if you feel something isn’t right.
I did 3 IVF cycles using a combination of lupron, menopur and follistim. I have low AMH/DOR and a thin lining. I was only able to produce 9 eggs on my best cycle, and 4 eggs on my worst. Those 3 cycles resulted in 2 total embryos that were frozen for later FETs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
I would receive update phone calls from my nurse Dawn whenever Dr Butts was unable to call me herself. She was conscious of the hours I worked and always called at a reasonable time. She knew I wanted all the details and results of any tests or labs done. She was able to answer any questions I had and was knowledgeable about my case throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
They are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous.
Costs were minimal because I work in that health system and my insurance covered nearly everything in network. Once I hit my IVF insurance cap I had to pay $5k-$8k on remaining meds.
My doctor was willing to transfer multiple embryos if the quality wasn’t great. But in my case I only had 2 to work with so we did 2 separate single embryo transfers.

2014 - 2018, Successful
This clinic [U of Penn] has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer is very kind and compassionate. He takes the time to fully understand your story and your goals. I felt like I was very prepared for all of my procedures (HSG, IUI, egg retrieval), and knew I was in good hands. After my first miscarriage, he called multiple times to see how I was doing, both physically and mentally. I never felt like he was rushing me out of his office, and he treated me like family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask every question you have! Write them down and take your list with you. He will take all the time he needs to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer and his nurse would personally call me back when I called with questions. He was so incredibly kind, especially after my first miscarriage, which was before I was in treatment with him. When I had to leave the practice due to insurance changes and a move out of the area, he called to tell me that he would always be there to support me in what I needed, and that he would love to keep in touch about life, good news, and my professional career (I'm a physician). I never felt rushed with him, and he made sure I felt cared for at a very vulnerable time in my life.
Describe the protocols Steven Sondheimer used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did a stimulation protocol as follows: 1. Lupron for 10 days 2. Start Gonal-F 3. Add Menopur 4. hCG trigger shot I had monitoring appointments daily during stimulation. I have PCOS, so there was a slight concern of OHSS. My doctor retrieved 23 eggs, 19 of which fertilized. 8 of those matured, 5 were frozen on Day 5, and 3 were frozen on Day 6. I don't recall the exact grading, but my doctor assured me that they only ever froze embryos they thought would be successful as FET's.
Madeline was the best! She fully explained everything and called me daily with updates to my medications and treatment plans. The rest of the nurses with whom I interacted in the office were also great. They were all very friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
This clinic has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great. They require IVF education sessions before beginning a cycle, which is really helpful for getting questions answered about the process in general and what to expect. At the Market Street location, there is street parking, but there is also a garage and they will validate your parking so it's only $5, which is great for Philadelphia! I have not been to the other 2 locations. The only weakness that I can report is that your primary doctor may not be the one doing all the procedures. They do have fellows there who are training, but they are well-supervised by the attending physicians.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care.
I was very fortunate to have insurance that covered fertility treatments entirely. I paid copays for my appointments. The embryo storage fee I believe was $550 for the initial freeze + 3 months, and then $225 billed quarterly after that.
Describe Steven Sondheimer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
I did not have an embryo transfer yet, but my doctor usually recommends single embryo transfer, because transferring 2 doesn't significantly increase your chance of pregnancy, and also to avoid the risk that comes with carrying multiples.
Philadelphia - Market

When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done.... I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments.... What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done. Once we had those results, we were presented with two options - continue trying Clomid or move onto IVF. Given our current financial situation, it was a blessing to hear that Clomid was still a viable option for us. Since that first consultation I've seen Dr. Shah twice more. Each appointment she takes the time to explain to me in very simple ways what is going on in my body and how that impacts my fertility. She's patient and willing to explain things multiple times to make sure I feel comfortable with our plan. She's the best person we could have guiding us through this process at this time.
It took us over a month between when we initially called for an appointment and when we were able to schedule one, so I'd consider calling early. I also don't see her at every appointment, but have been able to (and encouraged by the nurses) schedule other appointments with her if I need to.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments. Additionally, they know that we drive over an hour each way to our appointments and make every effort to give me the first appointment slot so that my work day isn't interrupted significantly. They are reassuring and answer even some of the simplest of questions.
I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI. IUI isn't going to increase our chances all that much more and because it isn't covered by my insurance, she doesn't think it's something we necessarily need to consider. This treatment combination has produced one strong follicle in 4 of the 5 cycles we've completed. We had no reaction in the last cycle which caused us to take a break for the summer. We just resumed last week and are in the middle of a sixth Clomid cycle now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan is the NP who is the primary on my case. She's just fantastic - even though we're in our sixth round of Clomid treatment, she has walked me through the steps every time and hasn't assumed I know what to do because I've done it before. She returns my phone calls within the same day and even at appointments where I'm in and out of the office before she comes in, she still calls me in the same day to check in and make sure I'm feeling ok with where things are.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times. It has resulted in a longer amount of time that we've been in treatment, which may not be for everyone depending on how long they've already been trying. But it's kept our treatments within the window of what is mostly covered by my insurance which meets our financial needs at this time.
Radnor
Dr. Sondheimer puts a lot of personal thought into every stage of care, and is both flexible and direct with his opinions. I truly feel like he cares, even though I haven't yet become pregnant... been in this field for a very long time. He is good at direct communication, and I feel that I am in the hands of an expert. He makes himself available as much as possible, and when he is not able to he makes sure I am in good hands with his colleagues. He sometimes seems rushed, but he is always concentrating on me.
After a couple of failed letrozole IUIs, I tried a few rounds of clomid IUI [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care]. When that didn't work, I added injectables (Follistim). All of those were with Ovidrel trigger. After round 9, I moved to IVF using Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, and Novarel trigger...All have this has been with donor sperm, as my partner is another woman...She [nurse] always calls me when she says she will, and always answers all of my questions. I feel I am in good hands.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
He is a caring man who has been in this field for a very long time. He is good at direct communication, and I feel that I am in the hands of an expert. He makes himself available as much as possible, and when he is not able to he makes sure I am in good hands with his colleagues. He sometimes seems rushed, but he is always concentrating on me.
Ask all your questions, even the very minute details. And be prepared to not see him all the time.
The practice itself can be a little overwhelming, in terms of the number of patients and providers-- so in that way sometimes I feel like a number. But Dr. Sondheimer puts a lot of personal thought into every stage of care, and is both flexible and direct with his opinions. I truly feel like he cares, even though I haven't yet become pregnant.
After a couple of failed letrozole IUIs, I tried a few rounds of clomid IUI. When that didn't work, I added injectables (Follistim). All of those were with Ovidrel trigger. After round 9, I moved to IVF using Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, and Novarel trigger. My retrieval is tomorrow. I have 7 follicles right now. We discussed switching to IUI but Dr Sondheimer didn't recommend it. I am hoping for at least a few embryos. All have this has been with donor sperm, as my partner is another woman.
She always calls me when she says she will, and always answers all of my questions. I feel I am in good hands.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
They are very efficient. They see a LOT of patients, so you may not get as much time with any particular provider as you might want. You will meet a lot of different doctors. I like all of them, and have had a very good experience. But if you are looking for a more homey atmosphere or touchy feely experience, it's not the place for you. Also it is super convenient to my work-- this is probably the #1 important thing to me, since I have to go so often.
My insurance covered everything for IUIs except for Ovidrel ($35), and donor sperm washing ($150). For IVF most things have been covered. I think genetic testing (PGS) will be around $1850
He has a strong preference for only transferring 1 frozen embryo at a time. If I do a fresh transfer, he will put in 2.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
Just a small error, they forgot to call in one of my meds-- it was caught quickly.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Shah was very kind and very honest. She recognized how hard this is and always tried to remain positive but gave us her honest opinions.... She was very empathetic and clearly knowledgeable. My only negative is that she was more cautious than I would have liked, after 22 cycles all negative tests- I’ve learned I would’ve like to be more aggressive a year ago.... I did the first 8-10 cycles taking letrozole and times intercourse. We moved to letrozole and IUI because that did not work. Due to my PCOS, ovulation was unclear so we introduced ovidrel shots as well. I reacted fine to all of this, the 2.5 mg of letrozole day 3-7 just made me a little more emotional than usual.
I love the staff at Penn. Going through this for as long as I have, seeing the girls (Angie, Susan, Aleah) is nice. They’re familiar. They’re professional. They make me feel safe in a very hard situation....Strengths - Always on time with appointments, in and out. And they always provide fast, accurate feedback. Negatives- IVF is too expensive:( for something some of us need to have - our only hope - it’s disheartening to know I can’t afford the one thing that I need.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
She will do whatever you choose - so push if you feel like you’re not being aggressive enough with your treatment.
I did the first 8-10 cycles taking letrozole and times intercourse. We moved to letrozole and IUI because that did not work. Due to my PCOS, ovulation was unclear so we introduced ovidrel shots as well. I reacted fine to all of this, the 2.5 mg of letrozole day 3-7 just made me a little more emotional than usual. Then we moved to gonal-f injectables with IUI. This cycle was longer because we started on too low of a dose. At this point we are back to monitoring with oral meds and times intercourse while saving for the inevitable (IVF).
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
My insurance has covered everything except the gonal-f to date. IVF begins at $8,500. PGS testing is an additional $6,000 and meds between $2k and $5k.
Dr. Shah does not perform multiple embryo transfer to my knowledge.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
When my primary nurse, Susan, was out on medical leave the replacement nurses called me with incorrect, conflicting information. I called and spoke with the Nurse Manager and she handled communications until Susan returned.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Scott is always personable encouraging, optimistic and value my opinion and input. He treats my partner and I with a great deal of respect and compassion.... I met Dr. Scott for the first time in 2014. After I went through my first of fourth heartbreaking miscarriages. Dr. Scott gave me his time and full attention for almost 2hrs. He listened to me, held my hands and promise to help me through every process. He is very attentive, a great communicator, passionate, very pleasant and easy to talk to. He treats the whole patient. I am still waiting for my rainbow baby but I couldn’t have been under the care of a better doctor.
UPenn at Washington square is a great facility; it’s clean, the nursing staffs are friendly and welcoming, the patients are treated with respect and they are very prompt with appointment times. The front desk staff could be a little more welcoming.... It is always efficient. A quick in and out. I could go for a monitor and get back to work without being late for work... Erin is very knowledgeable, resourceful, compassionate and an over all great nurse.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Be honest with yourself. Trust Dr. Scott’s plan and protocol.
I did lupron 10 units every morning for 12 days, then gonorilex I think. Not sure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin )
Erin is very knowledgeable, resourceful, compassionate and an over all great nurse. She call you back when she says she’s going to. I think she gets burn out at time
Almost almost 25 thousand
Dr. Scott told me he prefers one embryo transfer due to the risk of multiple, but it is completely up to the patient
Philadelphia - Walnut St
Dr. Coutifaris is the head of Penn Fertily. He is well respected and everyone’s favorite. He is very compassionate, but at the same time professional. He had a nice sense of humor, which was very nice at such difficult times....Dr. Coutifaris is a very caring person. He is also very well educated and he was activiely looking for options. Unfortunately, he ended up taking sabbatical and I had to choose a different doctor.... The embryos were already tested
Very professional and caring team. Since they [U of Penn Fertility Care] are a university hospital, they don’t decline patients as other clinics do. Doctors and nurses are very compassionate and you can tell that they are not in for your money. The only challenge I see is that they have so many patients and sometimes I feel like I am just a number and I don’t always get personalized treatment. Regardless, I have only good things to say about everyone I have worked with at Penn Fertility.
How was your experience with Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care?
I would give this advise to every patient no matter how good their doctor is - be your own advocate and don’t accept no for an answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Christos Coutifaris used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
The embryos were already tested, but were not implanting. We did two ERAs because we only had one viable embyat the end and we wanted to make sure 100% that I was receptive at time of transfer if last good embryo. Unfortunately, it didn’t implant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care.
My nurse takes me very seriously. I have had three doctors and the only constant is my nurse. She knows me well and I know she has my best interest at heart.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Very professional and caring team. Since they are a university hospital, they don’t decline patients as other clinics do. Doctors and nurses are very compassionate and you can tell that they are not in for your money. The only challenge I see is that they have so many patients and sometimes I feel like I am just a number and I don’t always get personalized treatment. Regardless, I have only good things to say about everyone I have worked with at Penn Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christos Coutifaris at Penn Fertility Care.
$15k.
Describe Christos Coutifaris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Christos Coutifaris
Philadelphia - Market

Dr.Kalra is very understanding and honest with all reports and options. She takes her time to go over all options during all visits. Thank Dr.Kalra for all of her services. Look forwards to continuing my fertility treatment with this office.... Dr.Kalra is very kind and understanding. She will assist you with whatever your concern may be.... The clinic [U of Penn] is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation.
The clinic [U of Penn] is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors.... Nurse Nia was very compassionate and respectable. Always checking in on patients and making sure they are receiving all necessary medication as well as being prepared for each procedures or testing.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nia)
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is very well-mannered and asks if their anyway they can assist you while waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes they can be a bit busy and don't have time to spark a conversation. Most of the time they too, make sure you leave with an updated appointment or notes from the doctors. Thank you for your services.
Philadelphia - Market

From first impression he [Dr. Barnhart] was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions... He is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.... He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.... Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
Strength the office [UPenn] is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)... [Nurse] She was funny and polite . Some of the other staff didn’t return my call timely and I didn’t like that.... He [Dr. Barnhart] is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
From first impression he was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions . I like him .
I don’t remember sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Denmaree )
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strength the office is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)
Around 9k
He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.