7.2

Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087

Treated 2016 - 2017
I wish I did see her [Dr. Kalra] more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved...She is always warm, always remembers me: I do see her when I'm there but usually half the appts...3 iuis and then ivf. For ivf she did long Lupron, honestly I'm not sure why!...
I wish my nurse [at UPenn] would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps...[Nurses] They remember you and get very involved with you. You feel like you're their only patient...I wish I did see her [Dr. Kalra] more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I wish I did see her more but she is split between 2 offices- now that I'm in ivf monitoring I can't choose my day since it's as needed. When I do see her she's very warm and considerate. See seems really involved
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
To trust your dr. I think a ton of people try to dictate their treatments.. doctors know best and if they are taking a slow approach it's for a reason
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
3 iuis and then ivf. For ivf she did long Lupron, honestly I'm not sure why!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin treddnick)
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
I wish my nurse would be more throughrough in why my protocal was chosen and expectations and next steps
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care.
So far insurance coverage
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
I'd love more insight on why a protocal was chosen for me
Treated 2011 - 2015
Dr Edwards explained our situation and options throughout the process. He was compassionate but remained extremely professional. I felt safe, well informed and educated. He provided us the information we needed to make good decisions, based on our needs/goals.
[At Penn Fertility Care] we explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Edwards helped our family achieve our goals. He kept us well informed, took time to explain options, risks and odds. I always felt safe in his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
We explored many options before we achieved our goal - including IUI, drugs to enhance egg production, etc. I also had a surgery to have a large fibroid removed (myomectomy). In the end, we used an egg donor and, after a miscarriage, had a successful live birth. It was a long road but Dr Edwards helped us at every step along the way.
Philadelphia - Walnut St
Doctor Barnhart was very thorough with details of my condition and what we can expect. He is very friendly and truly cares about his patients. He was very open and honest with what we should expect. He answered all of my questions even if i called later with follow ups....He sat with me in his office going over all of my history. He performed the ultrasound and procedure to check my tubes. When i returned with my husband he was thorough about our results and next steps
He [Dr. Barnhart] sat with me in his office [U of Penn] going over all of my history. He performed the ultrasound and procedure to check my tubes. When i returned with my husband he was thorough about our results and next steps...Doctor Barnhart was very thorough with details of my condition and what we can expect. He is very friendly and truly cares about his patients. He was very open and honest with what we should expect.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Treated 2016 - 2017
Very compassionate and honest doctor. He has helped two of my friends successfully. I would recommend to any friend. Dr. Edwards tried different things with me, but I was unsuccessful. He still checks on me and is interested in my progress.... He used clinks for IUI and froze all embryos for PGS due to my prior natural miscarriages. All my FETs were controlled (medicaged).... I was 34 and he fevimmended we don’t transfer two at a time. I am now almost 39 and still not pregnant...
Very caring and advanced. My concern that they [University of Pennsylvania Fertility Care] don’t do an overall holistic personalized testing. I am still unexplained after being with them for over 2.5 years. They have helped two of my friends and my friends are very happy with the care they received.... [the nurse was] Very caring. Took my case personally. I have her cell phone and can text her if I need to. She is my advocate.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Be your best advocate with any doctor out there.
I can’t recall exactly. He used clinks for IUI and froze all embryos for PGS due to my prior natural miscarriages. All my FETs were controlled (medicaged).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Very caring and advanced. My concern that they don’t do an overall holistic personalized testing. I am still unexplained after being with them for over 2.5 years. They have helped two of my friends and my friends are very happy with the care they received.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care.
$30k maybe.
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Nothing specific.
Treated 2018 - 2019
the plan [with Dr. Shah] was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out...After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
Our main nurse [at University of Penn Fertility Care] was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began)...We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When we saw Dr Shah she would always let us share our questions and provided very detailed (with notes!) explanations of her answers and, at times, what would happen next in our treatment. Unfortunately, we only saw Dr Shah in the office twice (an initial consultation and a meeting before starting IVF). After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Choose Dr Shah because you're looking for a safe, researched-based practice that won't be aggressive and make sure you speak up and advocate for your own needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When my wife would go in for monitoring, she wasn't allowed to hear any results from her ultrasounds, she was told to just lie there and then wait for the results each afternoon. Blood draws were often stressful, conversations with the nurses felt impersonal and information was often unclear or left out, so that we had to do our own research and make suggestions or double-check protocols.
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
FSH / GNRH Antagonistic Protocol - the plan was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Our main nurse was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began). She could be hard to get in touch with and did not always seem to know the answers to critical questions we asked about what to do at various points in the protocol
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is often fairly quiet and pretty efficient. There's free parking, although the lot is very busy/tight after the very early morning. All procedures must be done at the downtown office and procedures are done by whoever is on-call/working that day, not by your doctor. The nurses at the front desk never learn your name or get to know you. There are no discounts for procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care.
Retrieval & biopsy - $9,000; FETs $2,500 (these prices have now been updated & significantly increased)
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Our Dr strongly encouraged single embryo transfers, it didn't feel like there was an option for anything else
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0. We were upset that this had not be addressed or monitored during the transfer process and that we only learned of the level at our own pushing/forcing the issue.
Radnor
Dr. Shah was very personable. She gave her full attention to my husband and I, gave us all of the information, and answered all of our questions. She even illustrated and wrote notes on paper for us...explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us...We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
[University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care's] strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia...She [nurse] explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number...Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Divya’s strengths include showing compassion, being detail oriented, knowledgeable, and thorough. I haven’t had any negative experiences with Dr. Divya. She explained what would happen every step of the way and also explained the results to all of our testing. She also explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us.
My advice to anyone would be to be prepared with questions. Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
We haven’t started any treatment as of yet, but she recommended IVF for us. We’ll be going over the details at our next appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nurse was just as nice and knowledgable as Dr. Shah. She explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic’s strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia.
I haven’t completed treatment, but I believe IVF will cost about $15,000. Medications alone will cost a couple thousand and egg freezing will cost about $500 for 3 months (I believe).
She stated that for young couples, I believe under 35 years of age, she would recommend single embryo transfer, but I think it would ultimately be the patient’s decision.
Treated 2017 - 2018
When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done.... I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments.... What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done. Once we had those results, we were presented with two options - continue trying Clomid or move onto IVF. Given our current financial situation, it was a blessing to hear that Clomid was still a viable option for us. Since that first consultation I've seen Dr. Shah twice more. Each appointment she takes the time to explain to me in very simple ways what is going on in my body and how that impacts my fertility. She's patient and willing to explain things multiple times to make sure I feel comfortable with our plan. She's the best person we could have guiding us through this process at this time.
It took us over a month between when we initially called for an appointment and when we were able to schedule one, so I'd consider calling early. I also don't see her at every appointment, but have been able to (and encouraged by the nurses) schedule other appointments with her if I need to.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments. Additionally, they know that we drive over an hour each way to our appointments and make every effort to give me the first appointment slot so that my work day isn't interrupted significantly. They are reassuring and answer even some of the simplest of questions.
I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI. IUI isn't going to increase our chances all that much more and because it isn't covered by my insurance, she doesn't think it's something we necessarily need to consider. This treatment combination has produced one strong follicle in 4 of the 5 cycles we've completed. We had no reaction in the last cycle which caused us to take a break for the summer. We just resumed last week and are in the middle of a sixth Clomid cycle now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan is the NP who is the primary on my case. She's just fantastic - even though we're in our sixth round of Clomid treatment, she has walked me through the steps every time and hasn't assumed I know what to do because I've done it before. She returns my phone calls within the same day and even at appointments where I'm in and out of the office before she comes in, she still calls me in the same day to check in and make sure I'm feeling ok with where things are.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times. It has resulted in a longer amount of time that we've been in treatment, which may not be for everyone depending on how long they've already been trying. But it's kept our treatments within the window of what is mostly covered by my insurance which meets our financial needs at this time.
Treated 2016 - 2018
She [Dr. Divya Shah] is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
[UPenn is] Organized and caring!! I always felt and feel important to them. I have never felt like a number!! They are prompt and informative. The financial people are also amazing at helping navigate you through the insurance coverage you might have and fee schedules!!... They [monitoring appts] were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
She is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
Come prepared with your questions and have an understanding of the process. I feel like having a handle on things and knowing what to ask shows that you are ready to make informed decisions and that you are completely invested in the process. She will explain and re-explain anything you don’t understand. She will give you realistic expectations and she will guide you toward the best options for your specific situation!
My doctor and the clinic always made me feel like my feelings, questions and requests were extremely important. I never felt like I was a number in Dr. Shah’s eyes!
I did two iuis with her using an antagonist protocol, then we did and hsg which showed I more than likely have a blocked right tube. We tried a microdose Lupron ivf protocol which never led to a retrieval and was cancelled on cycle day 13 after no growth. I am currently in the tww after a succeful ivf cycle called the estrogen patch protocol and an antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
Always willing to listen, respectful, knowledgeable and caring!! They all go above and beyond the call of duty.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Penn Fertility Care.
They were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
I have insurance coverage to a certain capped amount, so I only paid a copay for dr visits and for donor sperm related costs. Medication coverage limits were reached so I pay all Meds out of pocket.
Because of my low amh and my age, we decided to transfer two eggs to give me the best chance of a positive pregnancy test. I completely agree.
Radnor
Dr. Shah is excellent at communicating what's going on. She breaks things down for "non-science people" and will re-explain something as much as you want. She is kind, compassionate and has been rooting for us since day 1. She is open to my concerns and suggestions (one example is that I wanted to try a natural FET instead of a medicated cycle). She explained the pros and cons of each and ultimately let me decide. This is just one example of many where she has helped me make a decision.
Be prepared to acknowledge that the office is run much differently than most other clinics because UPenn is a teaching hospital. Once I figured this out, it became much less stressful. You will be on hold a lot. You might have to follow-up with the nursing staff. If you miss a call, it's a huge pain to get the team back on the line. Having said that, Dr. Shah ALWAYS called me back in the same day that I asked to talk directly to her and there is ALWAYS an on-call doctor that you can reach (even at 3am). You just have to know that Dr. Shah is managing your care and that every single doctor at UPenn is fantastic, as well. I never had concerns about my care, it was just annoying the way their communication system is.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Please note that many of the nurses mentioned in other reviews are no longer at Penn. There have been a few wonderful new nurses (Christine and Dawn) who are excellent at relaying information, call back promptly and are kind and compassionate. Whenever I am there, everyone say hello to me and remembers me. I can reach Dr. Shah whenever I want to speak with her directly.
Antagonist protocol for egg retrieval (BCP, Follistim, Menopur, Ganirellex). For transfers BCP, Lupron, Estrace, PIO, but ultimately what worked was a natural FET with only Crinone.
The clinic follows the national recommended guidelines for embryo transfer. Due to my age, we transferred 1 embryo each time. Dr. Shah never pushed me to transfer more than 1 and I never asked to.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Shah was very kind and very honest. She recognized how hard this is and always tried to remain positive but gave us her honest opinions.... She was very empathetic and clearly knowledgeable. My only negative is that she was more cautious than I would have liked, after 22 cycles all negative tests- I’ve learned I would’ve like to be more aggressive a year ago.... I did the first 8-10 cycles taking letrozole and times intercourse. We moved to letrozole and IUI because that did not work. Due to my PCOS, ovulation was unclear so we introduced ovidrel shots as well. I reacted fine to all of this, the 2.5 mg of letrozole day 3-7 just made me a little more emotional than usual.
I love the staff at Penn. Going through this for as long as I have, seeing the girls (Angie, Susan, Aleah) is nice. They’re familiar. They’re professional. They make me feel safe in a very hard situation....Strengths - Always on time with appointments, in and out. And they always provide fast, accurate feedback. Negatives- IVF is too expensive:( for something some of us need to have - our only hope - it’s disheartening to know I can’t afford the one thing that I need.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
She will do whatever you choose - so push if you feel like you’re not being aggressive enough with your treatment.
I did the first 8-10 cycles taking letrozole and times intercourse. We moved to letrozole and IUI because that did not work. Due to my PCOS, ovulation was unclear so we introduced ovidrel shots as well. I reacted fine to all of this, the 2.5 mg of letrozole day 3-7 just made me a little more emotional than usual. Then we moved to gonal-f injectables with IUI. This cycle was longer because we started on too low of a dose. At this point we are back to monitoring with oral meds and times intercourse while saving for the inevitable (IVF).
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
My insurance has covered everything except the gonal-f to date. IVF begins at $8,500. PGS testing is an additional $6,000 and meds between $2k and $5k.
Dr. Shah does not perform multiple embryo transfer to my knowledge.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
When my primary nurse, Susan, was out on medical leave the replacement nurses called me with incorrect, conflicting information. I called and spoke with the Nurse Manager and she handled communications until Susan returned.

Treated 2017
Dr Shah is genuine and compassionate and although we rarely saw her, we felt like she was monitoring us closely from afar. She didn’t do any of my procedures and I think that played a part in feeling like a number and not a patient at this clinic... I was on a high-responder protocol. I was on Follistim 150 daily to start. Eventually added in Ganirelix and menopur. Eventually we attempted HGH because of a cycle that resulted in poor quality embryos, howevery retrieval was cancelled.
The NP [at UPenn-Radnor] assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.... I felt very out of touch with my own care due to almost never speaking with my doctor. I would speak with a new nurse every day (someone unfamiliar with me) regarding my lab results and medication adjustments.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Trust her and don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Dr Shah was compassionate and I really felt that she was invested in our care. She called us whenever we got bad news and to give her best wishes when we decided to switch clinics. We didn’t get the outcome we had hoped for so we were eager to get some new ideas by switching clinics, but leaving Dr Shah was bittersweet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan Tronicelli)
The NP assigned to us was the least compassionate human being I’ve ever met. She was very negative and made the whole IVF process near unbearable. Every time I asked that something be submitted to insurance, she gave me a snarky response about they would never cover it. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her daily.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
I get the impression that this clinic may be more concerned with their statistics than with their patients. There are about a dozen doctors and in my time there, I saw every single doctor once for one procedure or another. After over a year at the clinic, I still felt like a new patient.
We paid separately for the egg retrieval ($12,000), FET ($2,500). PGD was paid directly to the lab and meds were separate. I must also say that the Financial coordinator is extremely unhelpful! We were better off googling. At my first meeting with her, I asked her what options there were for paying (do people ever take out loans, are there assistance programs, any opportunities for discounted meds, etc) and she looked at me like I had 12 heads.
We got the lecture about risks of multiples to the nth degree. I was told I would be the next octomom if we transferred two embryos!
Treated 2015 - 2016
Loved Dr. Kalra the first time my husband and I met her. She was kind and honest. She never sugarcoated anything, but she wasn't all doom and gloom either...She told us our chances right up front. As I stated before, Penn was a busy place, so you would often see other doctors for procedures (all of them were excellent). Dr. Kalra did my second embryo transfer...don't hesitate to call Dr. Kalra to discuss it with her. Someone else may deliver the news, but you are always welcome to talk it over with her to make sure you're making the right decision or doing what's best for you.
Penn Medicine is a very busy place...Yet, despite that, everyone I dealt with treated me so well that I never felt like a number. They were kind and compassionate, and they always listened to me. I honestly received excellent care there...Affordable great care. So you may have to wait a bit at each visit...We purchased a package deal, only $6,750 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers, whether fresh or frozen...Beth was excellent. She always returned my calls and answered all my dumb questions.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I loved Dr. Kalra the first time my husband and I met her. She was kind and honest. She never sugarcoated anything, but she wasn't all doom and gloom either. I had liked my previous RE (and the main reason I switched was because IVF wasn't covered by my insurance, and Penn was far more affordable), and he was very nice. BUT he had given me false hope. He seemed certain that the IUIs would work. He even called my OB/GYN to tell him to expect to see me pregnant within the next couple of months (which did not happen). Dr. Kalra never did that. She told us our chances right up front. As I stated before, Penn was a busy place, so you would often see other doctors for procedures (all of them were excellent). Dr. Kalra did my second embryo transfer (but not my first), and that was the transfer that resulted in my beautiful baby girl.
If you are concerned about a recommendation or how treatment is going, don't hesitate to call Dr. Kalra to discuss it with her. Someone else may deliver the news, but you are always welcome to talk it over with her to make sure you're making the right decision or doing what's best for you.
Penn Medicine is a very busy place - far busier than the fertility clinic I went to previously. Yet, despite that, everyone I dealt with treated me so well that I never felt like a number. They were kind and compassionate, and they always listened to me. I honestly received excellent care there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
Beth was excellent. She always returned my calls and answered all my dumb questions. She made sure I was clear with everything. And everyone else who assisted was fantastic as well.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
You will receive excellent care here. It's a busy place, busier than the first clinic I went to, but there's a reason for that! Affordable great care. So you may have to wait a bit at each visit. Fortunately my work was understanding if I was late, but I know this could be an issue for some people.
We purchased a package deal, only $6,750 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers, whether fresh or frozen. We were able to take out a loan from Arc Fertility. We bought the medications at the pharmacy onsite and saved a ton of money. We probably spent close to 2 grand, but that's a bargain.
On the first cycle, she recommended transferring one embryo. It was an easy decision to make; it was our first cycle, we had seven frozen embryos (all good quality), and we were in our early thirties. When our first cycle didn't work, she recommended we transfer two embryos on the next cycle. My husband and I were very torn about it; we were concerned about the risks with twins (for the babies, myself, and the financial strain). When she knew I was having a hard time with this recommendation, she spoke at length with me on the phone. She assured me that there was nothing wrong with my embryos (which was my concern), but they recommended two simply because the first round didn't work. There was no other reason why; they just wanted to up my chances. She told me she was cautiously optimistic and didn't feel that we needed to change anything else just yet, so if we were more comfortable with transferring one, that's what we should do (and what we ended up doing with success).
Treated 2016
I felt comfortable with Dr. Shah immediately and felt like I was in great hands. Most of my reluctance of recommending her would only come from how Penn Medicine is run and my experience with the nurses. Dr. Shah had a worksheet made up to help guide her conversations with her patients regarding all of the possible causes of infertility and the tests to identify them. It was incredibly thorough and helpful. I have nothing but great things to say about her...
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Be aware that Penn Medicine acts a bit like a team and even if Dr. Shah is your primary RE and guiding your care, you will see any of the doctors at a given procedure and no doctor at all during your monitoring.
Dr. Shah is warm, straightforward, and whip-smart. She goes over things in as little or as much detail as you are comfortable with.
Dr. Shah debated between an antagonist protocol (which she selected) and another type of protocol (not sure what that would have been) based on my DOR diagnosis and relatively young (in infertility world) age. The logic for going with the specific protocol was never relayed to me. Did a natural start, 450 gonal f for days 1-5, then ganarelix was added, and I went to gonal f 300 + menopure 150. I had a dominant follicle by day 7 which they warned me might get me cancelled and by day 9 they cancelled the cycle and converted me to IUI that didn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie Huston)
While I liked the other staff in the clinic, I didn't like either of the main nurses at Penn Radnor, Julie or Beth. Julie was my coordinator and she just doesn't have a lot of patience and was frequently confusing. When I was trying to confirm one set of her instructions early on, she made a snarky remark that she had done this many times. I replied back that I hadn't and wanted to make sure that I understood. She sounds condescending on the phone and ordered medications that I didn't need without warning me that I didn't need to pick them up right away (that they were only "in case of"). I would see Beth sometimes during monitoring and I felt as though she was withholding information (probably bad news). She was not my primary contact, however, so my experience with her was minimal.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic at Radnor is well organized and run. The prices for self-pay patients seem to be more reasonable for everything (treatment and meds) than anywhere else I've researched or read about. It is less busy than the office at 3701 Market and for some things you would still need to go to their University City location, but for monitoring, etc, I was at Radnor. However, you will rarely see a physician during your actual treatment. All monitoring is coordinated through the nursing staff. You'll have an ultrasound technician do your scans and a tech to do your blood draws. You sometimes can see a nurse or the nurse pratictioner after your monitoring appt, but your nurse will call in the afternoon with an update to your plan. The entire team including the faculty and the fellows will meet and discuss cases. After a treatment fails, they will discuss recommendations for the next round (I don't know if this is for all cases or just more difficult ones, but it happened for mine without any prompting or request and I got the impression that this is just what they do).
Prices changed July 2016 and I do not know current rates. 6750 covered one retrieval and 2 transfers (1 fresh, 1 frozen or 2 frozen) and ALL embryology, anesthesia, monitoring, bloodwork, mock transfer, etc. Everything. Cancelation before retrieval netted a refund of all but 1500. There were other graduated refunds possible (ie only one transfer, but no embryos to transfer reduced cost to 5000). 1 retrieval and 1 transfer (fresh or frozen) was 5000, but the only refund possible was if your cycle was cancelled before retrieval (cost reduced to $1500). This also included absolutely everything (monitoring, embryology, icsi, bloodwork, education seminar, med training).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
The fertility information does not go into the online portal (mypennmedicine) and so I had no knowledge of my AMH levels until meeting in person with my RE, despite the fact that all tests for other things (and even things like my HSG) are put into the portal. I also wouldn't have a record of my E2, FSH, etc unless my nurse happened to tell me (or I asked) AND I wrote it down. If you like to know exactly what's going on in your body, like I do, this might bother you. There isn't anything here that is "wrong" per se, it just doesn't mesh with how involved I care to be in my own health and treatment.
Treated 2015
I think that Penn is VERY expensive. When I met with their financial rep, she said that IUIs typically bill out at $5,000. Also, they billed all of my diagnostic testing as 'infertility' so my tests started billing against my insurance lifetime maximum. I felt like they were sucking my few insurance dollars dry. In terms of the clinic, it is clean and typically runs on time. It was rare that I had to wait over 15 minutes.
How was your experience with Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras obviously never remembered me. She re-introduced herself to me on several visits. I know she sees a lot of people but she could skim my chart for 5 seconds and realize I have been in her office before. Furthermore, she misdiagnosed my husband's sperm results. She opened his results in front of me and said they were normal. Two months later when I was requesting a copy of all our results, I noticed his results were not normal! These results directly impacted our treatment plan and NO ONE ever called to tell us. It is horrible that she misread the test results as I was sitting in front of her. Finally, UPenn pushes all women directly to IUI. They didn't even offer the suggestion of IUI vs. bedroom. I feel like UPenn is out to make money and they do not put the patient first.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Request a hard copy of all your results. Do not trust the verbal diagnosis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Dokras spent very little time with me on my first visits. She made zero effort to connect with me as a person and I felt like she was a robot just asking me questions and putting them into her EMR system.
Describe the protocols Anuja Dokras used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Dr Dokras tried to push me immediately to IUI procedures. She did not even offer Clomid and regular intercourse as an option. It was only after I did research and I asked direct questions that she mentioned it was possible. Also, she did not talk about the plan if the IUI didn't work. I had no idea how long I would be doing Clomid and IUIs.
I liked my RN, Beth, and the other RNs that i spoke with. They were more willing to answer questions and explain things than Dr Dokras. They seemed to be the only ones understanding my care.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anuja Dokras at Penn Fertility Care.
This clinic is very expensive. They think you will pay any amount for their brand name. IUIs bill out to insurance around $5k and IVF bills out around $22k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
On my second cycle with Clomid, the clinic called to tell me that I didn't ovulate and that I should be increasing my dosage for the next cycle. It was frustrating because I had my menstrual cycle so I did ovulate. They communicated incorrect results and seemed to incorrectly increase my meds as a result. Also, when I went to get a second opinion and asked for my records, it took over 6 weeks and multiple follow-up calls. They couldn't find my husband's results for weeks. This was a large problem - since they misdiagnosed him as I have mentioned previously. Based on his results, they should have recommended we move to IVF because IUI would never have been successful. Instead, I had 4 months on Clomid that were not necessary.
Treated 2013 - 2015
She [Dr. Gracia] never hesitated to hug me when I needed one, and didn't blink when I cried. And I cried pretty much every visit. She focused on moving forward rather than my fears of "what if". She was positive without [bs'ing] me.
You need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates...[nurse] Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh... Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She tried her best to be at my appointments. When she saw my name on the schedule, she requested that I wait a few minutes so she could do the fresh IVF transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She is great. However, you need to be aware of how Penn Fertility operates.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She never hesitated to hug me when I needed one, and didn't blink when I cried. And I cried pretty much every visit. She focused on moving forward rather than my fears of "what if". She was positive without being bullshitting me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Ugh, Julie and I just didn't emotional mesh. If I had a different nurse during the ultrasound, she would leave me feeling positive. But when Julie would call in the afternoon with my blood results and instructions, she left me feeling hopeless and like the other nurse had lied to me. No one lied to me, Julie was just not as empathetic. She also neglected to call in a very important prescription med, which resulted in hysterical crying on my part, frantic calls to a late night pharmacy and an hCG trigger shot in the bathroom of the pharmacy. I had a miscarriage early in my treatment with Penn and needed to have my hCG levels repeatedly drawn. Julie called me and excitedly told me "You're very pregnant" not realizing earlier that day we were told there wasn't a heartbeat. I think that was what colored my feelings toward Julie.
Monitoring appointments were all in the mornings which was convenient for me. The earliest appointment was at 7:45 so I was able to be in, out and at work almost on time. Thankfully my job had some flexibility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
I should never have been allowed to do 7 IUIs (3 unmedicated, 4 with Clomid) given my AMH levels. I don't know how that test was neglected as when I first started, I had to give 14 vials of blood. How was an AMH level never taken until our 7th failed IUI?!?!?! When I did my IVF cycle, I went to the pharmacy and got a huge bags of meds. Half of the meds were never used with my protocol and one essential medication (the hCG trigger shot) was not included. Which I didn't realize until the night I needed it, which was after the pharmacy was closed, so thankfully the on-call doctor was able to call it in to a local 24 pharmacy and my husband gave it to me the bathroom. If we ever have to do another IVF cycle, I will be more proactive in the pharmacy questioning whether we need all the meds handed to us and whether all the necessary meds were included.
Treated 2007 - 2012
she [Dr. Clarisa Gracia] was very nice. she came into the clinic near the end of my treatments there. I only moved on to another practice because the donor pool they had was much smaller than I hoped and the wait was longer.... the doctors were very caring in the practice but as in any high volume practice - fertility or not - there always seems to be a time crunch.
[U Penn -Radnor's] IA strength and weakness was size. I was very comfortable there and liked the dotors. However, I wanted to move quickly and the donor pool was much smaller than needed. I didn't want to leave the dpctors but needed to to move ahead in my treat,ent... Their donor pool was small and we decided to move to a larger base. We did do a few IUI's and I recall it was a pain to go into the city to do that specific procedure whil everything else was done in radnor.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
she was very nice. she came into the clinic near the end of my treatments there. I only moved on to another practice because the donor pool they had was much smaller than I hoped and the wait was longer.
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
It was awhile ago so numbers are a bit vague but we started with clomid, and IUI's. then when I had a blighted ovum decided to move to donor eggs. Their donor pool was small and we decided to move to a larger base. We did do a few IUI's and I recall it was a pain to go into the city to do that specific procedure whil everything else was done in radnor.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care.
I don't recall. We did have insurance to cover some of the procedures and I remember that they sat down and went over everything with me. It was overwhelming but they knew their stuff and explained it all.