7.2

Philadelphia, PA 19107
250 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Dr. Edwards was extremely nice, and took a great deal to talk to me during my appointment to answer any questions I had. The issue was it took forever to get an appointment with him, rather than the nurses, even as an existing patient...I felt like I was given a standard treatment protocol, and when it did not work as planned, I was forced to keep trying it while waiting for another appointment with the doctor, rather than pivoting...
I received very mixed responses from my care team [at Penn Fertility Care], making it feel like they didn't know what was going on. I felt like I was constantly asking them to try new things when their suggestions didn't work and being told they didn't do those...It takes awhile to get an appointment to see a doctor even as an existing patient. Even when I asked for the doctor to call me I received a call from a nurse instead. And any questions I had, had to go through the nurse...
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Scott Edwards used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Letrozole at 2.5mg for the first 3 cycles followed by Letrozole 5mg. All 4 cycles I used a trigger shot but only the first two we did IUI as my lining wasn't thick enough for the second 2 cycles. We also tried adding vaginal estrogen for cycle 3, which caused extreme irritation for one cycle, and estrogen patches for cycle 4, which did not help in thickening my lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care.
I received very mixed responses from my care team, making it feel like they didn't know what was going on. I felt like I was constantly asking them to try new things when their suggestions didn't work and being told they didn't do those. I was told they may have mis-measured me during a previous appointment and were going to assume they did. I was also told they didn't follow up to see if a treatment was working, and the following month being told I did come in for that check up.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
It takes awhile to get an appointment to see a doctor even as an existing patient. Even when I asked for the doctor to call me I received a call from a nurse instead. And any questions I had, had to go through the nurse. I was told on more than one occasion by the nurse that they wouldn't try something new, just to be told later that the doctor okayed it. It was extremely disorganized and frustrating.

2018 - 2020, Successful
I liked how quickly and candidly she [Dr. Samantha Butts] delivered information to me and I felt her warm bedside manner which confirmed the previous reviews that I had read about her.However, throughout the process, our communication declined. It became very difficult to get in contact with her directly even when using the portal, most times there were repeated follow ups, and as changes occurred during the process a plan that was initially communicated and agreed upon would be changed with little to no communication /explanation which created further delays.
My nurse was wonderful [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care]. She answered my questions throughly and those she could not answer she referred to the RE...The monitoring appointments were from 6:45 to 9 am and they were very convenient for my work schedule...2019, Invocell was $6500 and IVF was $8500...The clinic is very organized. The ambiance of the waiting room is not intimidating; it’s like any other Dr’s office. The staff is helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. If you park in the garage, bring your parking ticket and they can validate it for you.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Samantha Butts was recommended to me by my GYN. During our first consultation, she made me feel at ease and answered all my questions in detail. I liked how quickly and candidly she delivered information to me and I felt her warm bedside manner which confirmed the previous reviews that I had read about her.However, throughout the process, our communication declined. It became very difficult to get in contact with her directly even when using the portal, most times there were repeated follow ups, and as changes occurred during the process a plan that was initially communicated and agreed upon would be changed with little to no communication /explanation which created further delays. Once she and I had a discussion about the lack of and difficulties in our communication, it improved immediately and our standards of communication has remained consistent. Furthermore, she offers great medical insights on what may be going on with you and your cycle and makes recommendations based upon these insights which eliminates the cookie cutter response and approach.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
At the initial onset and throughout the process, as needed, express to her your communication needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Initially, I felt like a number, but as the process continued I felt like she dealt with me more compassionately.
Describe the protocols Samantha Butts used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Before starting any process, a hysterosalpingogram was performed and due to the results a laparoscopy followed. Once these procedures were completed, discussions about IVF followed. The IVF protocol I was prescribed was Lupron 10 units & Gonal F 400 units for egg retrieval resulted in 24 eggs being retrieved. This protocol was used because my previous cycle was canceled.The IVF protocol for frozen transfer was Lupron & Progesterone which resulted in a positive pregnancy which was later on miscarried.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Houser)
My nurse was wonderful. She answered my questions throughly and those she could not answer she referred to the RE. She was very accessible via telephone and the portal. She performed demonstrations on how to administer the medications and she was present for lining checks and egg counts/progression checks.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Penn Fertility Care.
The monitoring appointments were from 6:45 to 9 am and they were very convenient for my work schedule. Your wait time was minimal and you were seen, in and out quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care.
2019, Invocell was $6500 and IVF was $8500. Both included single embryo transfer, mock transfer, blood draws, ultrasound checks, and storage. IVF transfers were $2500.00. In 2020, IVF transfers are $3500.
Describe Samantha Butts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Her approach was elective single embryo transfer for both the fresh and frozen transfer. However, I inquired about multiple embryo transfers due to my age and she discussed with me the pros, cons, and trade offs and she is willing to transfer multiples.
2020, Unknown Success
I have been pleased with the rapport I have with her [Dr. O'Neill]. I try to be a good self-advocate and spend a lot of time reading research articles so I can be informed about my own treatment. Dr. O'Neill has always been open to listening to my opinions and helping me interpret what I've read. She listens and remembers my anxieties and fears, and her clinical decisions take into account not just how they will affect me fertility-wise, but also psychologically and emotionally. A various points she's asked me if I would like to take a break. I've also noticed that the admin staff speak highly of her, which is a good sign as she is in a position of power within the clinic environment. I should add the caveat that since Penn is a high volume clinic, the majority of my interactions are with ultrasound te
[Monitoring at University of Pennsylvania Fertility Care is] Very efficient. Never had to wait more than ten minutes and usually in and out within thirty minutes total...My Penn Medicine is actually a pretty amazing portal. Very user friendly. You can look up all the notes your doctor writes about you via the visit summary feature, as well as all of your imaging from major diagnostics (e.g. HSG, surgery) Weaknesses: -Finance is hugely disorganized. You have to stay on top of your bill like white on rice. -Due to high clinic volume, there is usually a 6-8 week wait to get in the cue for a consultation, retrieval, or transfer -They do not upload your bloodwork or ultrasound results to the portal (alt
How was your experience with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
I wanted to write this review before we transferred so I could share my experience without bias stemming from success or failure. I have had consultations with three REs and been in treatment with two, so I'm writing about Dr. O'Neill in relation to my general experience of the fertility industrial complex. PROS: -willing to listen and try newer diagnostics such as ERA and DNA fragmentation testing, *if you suggest them* -considers research brought by patients when developing a treatment plan -will initiate phone calls (vs. portal messages) outside of official consultations for quick discussions on next steps forward -seems to have a consultative approach and often mentions working with her Fellows and other colleagues to come to a decision on treatment. -while I would not say she is deeply informed on the role of race in infertility treatment, I was able to bring up the subject and she did not shy away from it -Genuinely kind and empathetic when you get bad news CONS (with the note that I think many of these are universal problems in high-patient volume clinics) -Not so good at communicating with her nurse. On multiple occasions I've gotten one set of medication instructions from Dr. O'Neill, a different set from the nurse, and had to ask her to double check with Dr. O'Neill. -Can be overconfident when she's incorrect about something - e.g. you believe you are having a procedure to look at X and Y issues, but she only remembers issue Y, so you have to ask her to go dig through your records to find evidence of issue X NEUTRAL/GENERAL INFO -Seems to err on the side of slightly conservative measures when it comes to making adjustments in treatment protocols. As mentioned above, she's open to ideas, but when left to her own devices, her style seems to favor treatments with a long track record of success -Does not give estimated probability of success (I didn't ask for it either) -Can be blunt and action oriented or warm and sympathetic at turns
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. O'Neill is my second RE. My first RE was kind but distant. I didn't select Dr. O'Neill intentionally - she was the first appointment available - but I have been pleased with the rapport I have with her. I try to be a good self-advocate and spend a lot of time reading research articles so I can be informed about my own treatment. Dr. O'Neill has always been open to listening to my opinions and helping me interpret what I've read. She listens and remembers my anxieties and fears, and her clinical decisions take into account not just how they will affect me fertility-wise, but also psychologically and emotionally. A various points she's asked me if I would like to take a break. I've also noticed that the admin staff speak highly of her, which is a good sign as she is in a position of power within the clinic environment. I should add the caveat that since Penn is a high volume clinic, the majority of my interactions are with ultrasound techs and my assigned nurse. However, based on conversations with others at high volume clinics, I still get a level of interaction that is satisfactory, as long as I am intentional and proactive about setting up consult appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Overall I love the clinic staff. They are very sweet and cheerful in what must be a challenging environment, but don't make false promises. The ultrasound techs will give you as much or as little information about what they're seeing as you request. They get you in and out really quickly for morning monitoring, but also take time to answer whatever questions you might have. The after-hours hotline is also excellent. I've had to call a few times and always respected my experiences of negative symptoms, pain, etc. Notes specific to my nurse (nicole): PROS: -Insanely fast portal responses. If you have not gotten a response, she's probably on vacation -Overall friendly demeanor CONS -Dosing instructions not always given clearly -Sometimes some things are lost in translation between dr. and nurse GENERAL INFO -Very straightforward and business like. She's not mean, but I would not expect her to hold my hand (literally or metaphorically) through anything
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: -Monitoring hours are great and can happen at multiple locations on weekdays -There is an after hours line/on-call service -As a Penn Fertility patient, you get amazing discounts through the Pennsylvania Hospital Pharmacy. I had insurance but I was quoted a price of $1800 for all of my retrieval meds. Gene the pharmacist there is an absolute saint. -My Penn Medicine is actually a pretty amazing portal. Very user friendly. You can look up all the notes your doctor writes about you via the visit summary feature, as well as all of your imaging from major diagnostics (e.g. HSG, surgery) Weaknesses: -Finance is hugely disorganized. You have to stay on top of your bill like white on rice. -Due to high clinic volume, there is usually a 6-8 week wait to get in the cue for a consultation, retrieval, or transfer -They do not upload your bloodwork or ultrasound results to the portal (although you can just take a photo of the patient info screen during monitoring visits) -You are not allowed to speak to the embryologists Neutrals -Penn is a teaching hospital. Fellows tend to be more empathetic and kind because I don't think they have compassion fatigue yet, but when it comes to actual diagnostic procedures, they are clearly not as skilled and take longer. -Closure from Christmas-New Year's means that they do not schedule anything that might need monitoring during that week.
Very efficient. Never had to wait more than ten minutes and usually in and out within thirty minutes total. I like that they have soothing images of clouds, etc .on the lights! Each treatment room has its own private bathroom, which is a plus.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care.
I had insurance through Aetna (NJ) so most of my costs were covered. I did pay out of pocket for sperm freezing ($350ish/year), embryo storage ($430/yr), and mock transfers ($240)
Describe Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Dr. O'Neill bases her transfer protocol for untested embryos on anticipated number of euploid embryos by age. For example, if you have three embryos and research estimates 30% aneuploid, she would transfer one embryo, then two, since we'd assume at least one of those embryos would not be viable.
Philadelphia - Market

Dr. K is very knowledgeable in infertility and does well in explaining it to someone new to the process. She has great bedside manner and made me feel comfortable every step of the way. I appreciate how she's available through phone or EMR messaging and will answer in a timely manner. Even through the phone, I feel that I'm speaking face to face with her as she has a great listening ear, validates my feelings, and answers all my questions in ways that I understand. She takes the time you need and doesn't rush through anything.
Clinic [Suleena Kalra] was clean and well organized. I didn't wait too long either. They have plenty of openings, it just depends which location you're trying to go to. I appreciated how they greeted me, as if I've been there a thousand times before and they knew me. ... Nursing staff was very welcoming and helped answer any questions I had. They made me feel very comfortable in a very personal situation.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
You will enjoy her as a Dr.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. K was great with me and my partner coming in for consultation about starting our family. She was warm but honest and very informative about what our steps were to start the process. She's available through phone and through chart messaging and answers in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic was clean and well organized. I didn't wait too long either. They have plenty of openings, it just depends which location you're trying to go to. I appreciated how they greeted me, as if I've been there a thousand times before and they knew me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care.
Covered mostly by my insurance.

2014 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Gracia] is a great RE and has always made me feel that she cared about my treatment and wanted me to have a baby. Be educated and direct about what you would like to try and she is often receptive...For my first cycle an agonist protocol was used. I produced a lot of eggs but only had 1 left on day 5 to transfer. For my next 2 cycles antagonist protocols with human growth hormone (both freeze all and then frozen embryo transfers) were used and these were more successful (4 embryos and then 3 embryos to freeze).
My first cycle [at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] was about $10,500. My second cycle was $5500 ( and $2000 for an additional frozen embryo transfer cycle). My third cycle was $8500. None of these prices included medications which were an additional $2500-$3500 each full cycle. There are also embryo storage fees that are about $250 every few months...Penn Fertility is competent, caring and responsive when there is a concern. They can be a less aggressive than I would prefer in their approach at times but can usually be convinced to try something when pushed.
How was your experience with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
I have found Dr. Gracia to be intelligent, responsive and warm. She is generally quite receptive as well but there are times that I feel she could be a bit more open to a different idea or a less studied approach or intervention.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She is a great RE and has always made me feel that she cared about my treatment and wanted me to have a baby. Be educated and direct about what you would like to try and she is often receptive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care?
She has called me from her personal cell number before when I was worried about a cycle and needed information and reassurance. She also called me back when she was on vacation when I was in the hospital having a preterm delivery and losing my baby at 20 weeks. She greets me with a hug when I have had a hard time or when she hasn’t seen me in a while.
Describe the protocols Clarisa Gracia used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E.)
Brenda treated me well and was willing to listen to my concerns. She also helped me to figure out the most cost effective way to purchase my medications.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clarisa Gracia at Penn Fertility Care.
My first cycle was about $10,500. My second cycle was $5500 ( and $2000 for an additional frozen embryo transfer cycle). My third cycle was $8500. None of these prices included medications which were an additional $2500-$3500 each full cycle. There are also embryo storage fees that are about $250 every few months.
Describe Clarisa Gracia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
My doctor was willing to do either eSET or 2 embryo transfer depending on the situation and my preference.
Clarisa Gracia
Philadelphia - Market

Despite seeing several providers for regular visits, Dr. O'Neill has gone out of her way to be my provider for significant moments in my course of treatment, even when she was not the provider-of-the-day. Also, my partner has not been able to make it to many of my appointments, but Dr. O'Neill always thinks to ask how she is doing and how we are feeling in the fertility care process... I appreciate her careful balance between expressing optimism and hope, and being realistic about the process of fertility care. I would recommend her without any hesitation to any of my friends or family members in need of fertility care.
I have PCOS, and was put on letrozole protocol (days 4-8), as it is shown to be more effective than Clomid in PCOS. Given that we have the expense of donor sperm, Dr. O'Neill offered to do monitored cycles with trigger shots to optimize our timing for IUI insemination. She also offered to let us use home OPKs if we preferred to have a less invasive/clinical approach to conception as a lesbian couple without "proven infertility" (by insurance standards). We opted for the monitored cycles, but appreciated her sensitivity to our situation. We have not been successful in our first four cycles so far, and are in the TWW for our 5th.
How was your experience with Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. O'Neill has a warm and engaging demeanor. She is thorough and accessible in her explanation of options and procedures. She is understanding of the financial pressures of using donor sperm and makes sure my wife and I are fully on board with the plan at each step of the process. I appreciate her careful balance between expressing optimism and hope, and being realistic about the process of fertility care. I would recommend her without any hesitation to any of my friends or family members in need of fertility care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill at Penn Fertility Care?
Be open and honest about your needs and desires, and never shy away from asking questions about your treatment. Dr. O'Neill will truly partner with you in this process.
Penn Fertility Care works on a group practice model, where the physicians rotate coverage for procedures, weekend coverage, etc. Despite seeing several providers for regular visits, Dr. O'Neill has gone out of her way to be my provider for significant moments in my course of treatment, even when she was not the provider-of-the-day. Also, my partner has not been able to make it to many of my appointments, but Dr. O'Neill always thinks to ask how she is doing and how we are feeling in the fertility care process.
Describe the protocols Kathleen (Kate) O'Neill used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy has been available to answer any questions along the way and to clarify timing for treatments. Any questions she cannot answer she passes up the chain to Dr. O'Neill.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic runs very efficiently for monitoring appointments in the morning. It would be nice if they had even earlier monitoring appointments available since so many of their patients work in healthcare fields and are likewise expected to be at work at 7 am. All of the clinical staff have been appropriate regarding our care as a same-sex couple, but some of the front desk employees consistently ask after "my husband" when I check in for appointments. One thing to be aware of is that children are allowed in the waiting area, which is understandable for couples trying to conceive a subsequent child, but can be painful for those of us struggling to conceive our first.
IUI cycles are $1000 plus meds
Philadelphia - Market

The nursing staff [Penn Fertility Care] have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system....Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Mainigi is thorough, communicative, compassionate, and incredibly detail-oriented. During a really vulnerable time, she completely put my partner and me at ease. She knew so many details about my story during each of our conversations and was able to talk about my medical history in detail without even glancing at my chart. She is incredibly prepared for each appointment. She's also very empathetic and completely understands the delicate balance between emotional urgency and cost. Would recommend to anyone -- She's the best!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Provide her with as many details as possible, as she takes everything into consideration when creating an individualized plan. She's also incredibly honest and communicative, so you'll get thorough answers to your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
Even if weeks -- or, in one case, months -- go by without an appointment, Dr. Mainigi always cites specific details about my experiences. She maintains eye contact the whole time rather than looking at a screen. This suggests that she both takes detailed notes after each appointment and reviews her patients' charts carefully before each appointment. I have never before had a doctor who is that detailed and prepared.
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After my initial testing (bloodwork, ultrasound), I had a hysteroscopy to evaluate whether or not I had a uterine polyp. Dr. Mainigi wanted to take this step after one of my ultrasounds because the alternative was to wait and do a second ultrasound weeks later -- which, in addition to not being efficient, wouldn't have enabled her to treat any polyps if she found them. Post procedure, she recommended that I begin IUI because she knew that I had already been trying for a long time and was eager to move forward as quickly as possible. She was very understanding when I delayed this by a couple of months after finding out that my insurance doesn't cover any fertility treatments, and supported my decision to try Clomid alone for two months. When that didn't work, we started the IUI process. I'm undergoing my first round now -- She generally recommends 3 rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF.
The nursing staff have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections (which I have not had) cost $2000, and a round of IVF is $8000. This is relatively comparable to the costs I've seen at other clinics in this area with the exception of the IUI, which seems to be a bit pricier than other clinics nearby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care.
I had a great insurance plan during my initial visits and hysteroscopy, so I only had to pay $10 copays. Under my new insurance, I've had to pay for everything. The Clomid costs about $16/month (for 10 pills). A round of IUI is $1000 and a round of IVF is $8000. I was also told that IUI with injections is $2000 but I haven't undergone this procedure and don't know very much about it. Those prices do not include associated prescriptions. The one injection for my IUI was around $35 under my insurance plan. I believe I paid around $100 for my most recent consultation.
Philadelphia - Market

Dr Barnhart was very knowledgeable and thorough. He was kind but direct. You could tell that he was passionate about his field and he wants to get you pregnant. After my failed fresh cycle he was supportive and just as eager to try again as I was.... The clinic [U of Penn] is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions.
the Clinic [University of Pennsylbania] has early hours they are fast and efficient and the office is clean. I go to the market st location so it is a little annoying having to park but they do validate your parking which is nice....The clinic is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions.... The IVF package did not include embryo freezing, testing, or a mov transfer.
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Barnhart was thorough and caring. The clinic is big so I did see a different doctor for each procedure and often times I only saw the nurse or tech. I would get a phone call from his nurse in the afternoon with instructions. I do feel like he was not that present for my cycles as I am sure he was involved behind the scenes managing everything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Know that he isn’t a fluffy guy, he is matter of fact and to the point which I appreciate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Kurt Barnhart used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
My fresh cycle and retrieval cycle I was on a “high responder” protocol. My stim meds started out low and I used them for 9 days before trigger. I was only on progesterone for yhe transfer and it was not successful. For my frozen transfer I was on an antagonist protocol. I took Lupron during my leutal phase, got a cycle then started estrace, aspirin and started progesterone 6 days before transfer. Currently waiting to see if this was successful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Demaree)
Demaree is an ANGEL. I would have been lost with out her. She is compassionate, smart and organized. She managed my care and appointments and listened to me. I never felt like I was bothering her and I truly felt like she was in this with me !
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
the Clinic has early hours they are fast and efficient and the office is clean. I go to the market st location so it is a little annoying having to park but they do validate your parking which is nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kurt Barnhart at Penn Fertility Care.
The IVF package did not include embryo freezing, testing, or a mov transfer.
Describe Kurt Barnhart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
Dr Barnhart was open to transferring 2 embryos after my failed fresh cycle.
Kurt Barnhart

2019, Consult
Dr. Shah was very personable. She gave her full attention to my husband and I, gave us all of the information, and answered all of our questions. She even illustrated and wrote notes on paper for us...explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us...We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
[University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care's] strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia...She [nurse] explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number...Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Divya’s strengths include showing compassion, being detail oriented, knowledgeable, and thorough. I haven’t had any negative experiences with Dr. Divya. She explained what would happen every step of the way and also explained the results to all of our testing. She also explained the potential treatments before the results were back and then explained then gave options for treatment. She gave me her opinion, but let my husband and I decide what the best treatment would be for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
My advice to anyone would be to be prepared with questions. Plan on having some testing done after the consultation as well. We had our consultation, then had blood work, genetic testing, and an ultrasound all in her office minutes after the visit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Divya Shah used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
We haven’t started any treatment as of yet, but she recommended IVF for us. We’ll be going over the details at our next appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nurse was just as nice and knowledgable as Dr. Shah. She explained everything thoroughly and provided me with her direct number.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic’s strengths would be their location, cleanliness, and assess to other care. The clinic is located in a health campus with other offices, a lab, and radiology department. They do not do surgery there, so the egg retrieval would have to happen in downtown Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care.
I haven’t completed treatment, but I believe IVF will cost about $15,000. Medications alone will cost a couple thousand and egg freezing will cost about $500 for 3 months (I believe).
Describe Divya Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
She stated that for young couples, I believe under 35 years of age, she would recommend single embryo transfer, but I think it would ultimately be the patient’s decision.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
When meeting with Dr. Kalra, she was kind and went over all aspects of tests that would be done and follow-up work that was needed...While under her care, my husband and I went on two have two more miscarriages and she could not have been more compassionate during that time...we did Clomid and IUI, which failed. I then got my period too soon and thankfully a wonderful NP stepped in and viewed my chart and changed me to Letrozole. We then did three more IUI cycles, all which failed.
After my fourth miscarriage, I had a D&E and sent the tissue away to be tested. Penn said that it would take two weeks and they would call with results. Two weeks has passed and no word from them. with all they deal with, you would think they would understand how much patients are waiting on results. I have even followed up with no response!...The four rounds of failed IUI cost me about $1000 out of pocket...while Penn has great nurses and doctors, some of their processes are delayed. Sometimes you need to pursue them for test results. I just think that when you'e involved in fertility treatments, communication is key, and perhaps Penn could be a little better. All of the staff is great, even when trying to get appointments. Kind and compassionate and helpful!
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Kalra is a very kind and knowledgeable woman. We saw her after two natural miscarriages, and the OBGYN pointed us towards Penn to try and get some answers as to why it happened twice. Dr. Kalra sat down with us and mapped out the next steps and what blood work and tests were needed. She explained the process of pregnancy and why miscarriages happen from time to time. While under her care, my husband and I went on two have two more miscarriages and she could not have been more compassionate during that time. She really felt for us and it showed. During the course of treatment, often times you will see the nursing staff and not necessarily your doctor. When I did see Dr. Kalra, she was really great.
I think it is important to ask questions. While she explained everything to us, asking for clarification or more detail can be very important. Often it is very emotional and overwhelming when receiving all of the details, so come prepared with questions!
After having two miscarriages on our own, the OBGYN pointed me towards the fertility clinic at Penn. When meeting with Dr. Kalra, she was kind and went over all aspects of tests that would be done and follow-up work that was needed. She wrote things out in a way that make it easy for a non-medical person to understand. Under her care, I went on to have two more natural miscarriages and she could not have been kinder during these times. She was compassionate and really felt for us. We have done IUI (with no pregnancies), but have not yet moved onto the IVF piece of it.
Describe the protocols Suleena Kalra used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After receiving the initial testing back, Dr. Kalra told us to try on our own for a few months. We did and it resulted in a pregnancy that then ended in miscarriage (#3). We met with her again and she told us to try on our own. When nothing happened after 4 months, I started Clomid and timed intercourse. The following month we did Clomid and IUI, which failed. I then got my period too soon and thankfully a wonderful NP stepped in and viewed my chart and changed me to Letrozole. We then did three more IUI cycles, all which failed. During this time, I did not have any communication with Dr. Kalra and had it not been for the WONDERFUL NP, I most likely would have left Penn. Following the IUI failures, we met with Dr. Kalra again and were going to move towards IVF. However, I ended up getting a new job, and we put that on hold for the summer. Low and behold, I ended up pregnant again on my own, with yet another miscarriage (#4). Now we are awaiting results and another doctors visit.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
One of the main reasons I Stayed at Penn was because of the wonderful nursing staff, especially N.P., Kelly Lee. Had Kelly not stepped in and reviewed my chart, I most likely would have sought out a second opinion. The nurses are great and call with results and are so nice and answer any questions you may have! I cant say enough about the nurses here.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
I wish that they knew that while Penn has great nurses and doctors, some of their processes are delayed. Sometimes you need to pursue them for test results. I just think that when you'e involved in fertility treatments, communication is key, and perhaps Penn could be a little better. All of the staff is great, even when trying to get appointments. Kind and compassionate and helpful!
The four rounds of failed IUI cost me about $1000 out of pocket.
Philadelphia - Market

We felt like I was the only advocate for our treatment [with Dr. Scott Edwards]...didn’t take much time to explain the process or plan... weren’t thorough and I felt I needed to really watch my own treatment plan so things weren’t missed...He is very nice and kind...We always felt overwhelmed and needed more direction and guidance after leaving...IUIs. First we did a natural IUI, the second time I requested I was on a medication so he dose Letroxol
The staff [at Penn Fertility Care] is overwhelmed with too many patients to honestly spend the time needed on each individual so you feel like a person who is being thoroughly cared for...Everything that could have gone wrong did. They booked us the wrong appointments, on the wrong dates. Another time at the wrong location. The finance team doesn’t answer questions, just tells you they will submit to insurance and see what they get back. The nurses would call back at 5 Pm or actually not at all! You will wait on hold a TON and be very stressed. We left, and requested our records to be transferred. This took 2 weeks, 6or more calls to the clinic and 3 calls to the office manager. They didn’t even send all our records. I was livid
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
He is very nice and kind. The clinic is very busy and I felt like a number. We always felt overwhelmed and needed more direction and guidance after leaving this office. It was stressful. Thanks
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Make sure you ask lots of questions and feel comfortable that your doctor will be overseeing your case. You need to trust your doctor, whoever you choose, for this overwhelming process.
The clinic is large and unorganized. It was a confusing start to an overwhelming process. The staff was nice, but I felt rushed in and out. They didn’t take much time to explain the process or plan. I felt the NP specifically was cold and quick to tell us things. They often weren’t thorough and I felt I needed to really watch my own treatment plan so things weren’t missed. I hated it
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
The staff is overwhelmed with too many patients to honestly spend the time needed on each individual so you feel like a person who is being thoroughly cared for
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Terrible. We hated our experience with this group. They screwed up appointments for us, booked us at wrong offices, weren’t watching protocols closely. We felt like I was the only advocate for our treatment. The didn’t even call us back after bloodwork pre IUI!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care.
IUI procedure, meds, ovadril shot, Monoriting and consults (that you have to book if you ever want to speak or hear from your physician )
Describe Scott Edwards's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
We left the group before IVF
Philadelphia - Market

the plan [with Dr. Shah] was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out...After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
Our main nurse [at University of Penn Fertility Care] was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began)...We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When we saw Dr Shah she would always let us share our questions and provided very detailed (with notes!) explanations of her answers and, at times, what would happen next in our treatment. Unfortunately, we only saw Dr Shah in the office twice (an initial consultation and a meeting before starting IVF). After failed transfers, it would take at least a month to see her and so it felt like she didn't really know us and wasn't closely following our journey. She was conservative in her practice and was adamant at continuing the same protocol even after repeated failures. You need to be an advocate for your own needs and protocol because issues that might come up for you or your health might not be closely monitored or addressed if they're outside the standard protocol.
Choose Dr Shah because you're looking for a safe, researched-based practice that won't be aggressive and make sure you speak up and advocate for your own needs.
When my wife would go in for monitoring, she wasn't allowed to hear any results from her ultrasounds, she was told to just lie there and then wait for the results each afternoon. Blood draws were often stressful, conversations with the nurses felt impersonal and information was often unclear or left out, so that we had to do our own research and make suggestions or double-check protocols.
FSH / GNRH Antagonistic Protocol - the plan was to do PGS and frozen cycle(s) so the goal was to push my body a little harder than if we were doing fresh. The Dr wanted to be careful since I have a higher AMH about OHSS/over-responsiveness. We had around 12-15 mature follicles in each ovary prior to retrieval but they were only able to get 7 eggs out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Our main nurse was not empathetic, especially when she had bad news to share. She was very laid back about details (e.g., suggesting we come in to get a written plan *after* the protocol & medications began). She could be hard to get in touch with and did not always seem to know the answers to critical questions we asked about what to do at various points in the protocol
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The clinic is often fairly quiet and pretty efficient. There's free parking, although the lot is very busy/tight after the very early morning. All procedures must be done at the downtown office and procedures are done by whoever is on-call/working that day, not by your doctor. The nurses at the front desk never learn your name or get to know you. There are no discounts for procedures.
Retrieval & biopsy - $9,000; FETs $2,500 (these prices have now been updated & significantly increased)
Our Dr strongly encouraged single embryo transfers, it didn't feel like there was an option for anything else
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
We presented with a high TSH level for pregnancy and had been on a synthroid and having it monitored by my wife's GYN. When we switched to the fertility clinic we shared that and asked for further monitoring but it was rare and after our first FET, when we got a negative result, we pushed for a TSH test and discovered the level was 5.0. We were upset that this had not be addressed or monitored during the transfer process and that we only learned of the level at our own pushing/forcing the issue.
2017 - 2019, 13 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Butts was extremely thorough when developing my treatment protocol. She requested surgery records from my OBGYN and used all the information gathered to give me predictions of my chances of success with retrieval cycles and my overall chances of conception in general. As a patient who tends to worry, Dr. Butts was able to assuage my fears with evidence based information and years of experience. I truly felt that we were in this journey together and that she would be willing to do whatever possible to help me achieve success.
Penn is a busy clinic. Because of that there is a whole team involved in your care and you may not see the same doctor for every appointment or procedure. I had two other doctors for two of my retrievals,and both were excellent. One weakness, if I had to name one, was that it was rather difficult obtaining medical records when they were requested from the office. They outsource to a company called MRO, but this company did not send the complete records that I had requested.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
As with any doctor, develop a list of questions and feel free to ask for explanations as often necessary. As a difficult to manage case, I had many concerns along the way, but Dr. Butts was always responsive and able to provide answers to my questions.
Dr. Butts took the time to review my complicated medical history, including ovarian cyst removal surgery, prior to developing my individualized treatment plan. She was always focused on the details of my specific case rather than treating me with a generic standard protocol and approach to treatment.
Initially we tried estrogen pill priming, then a course of daily Gonal-F and Menopur with ganirelix added at the end of the cycle. The outcome was initially as expected. For the next cycle, Dr. Butts suggested a different protocol with estrogen priming, then twice daily micro dose Lupron and daily Gonal F. We saw improvement in results the second time, which really boosted my confidence is Dr. Butt’s ability to alter the protocol using information gained from previous cycles. We used he second protocol for the third cycle as well which was successful.
Amy was very compassionate. Whenever she would call with results she would focus on the positive “growth is happening!” and “don’t worry, we will get some eggs this time” which I needed at times when I feared the treatment would not work on me as a poor responder.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
All costs were paid out of pocket. Fees for an egg freezing cycle were extremely reasonable. Penn gets a drug discount that is passed on to the patient. I paid 1/3 the cost of medications compared to what I would have paid at another clinic, saving me thousands of dollars. Of course I would have paid full price is necessary, but getting the same medications for less was a nice benefit.
I have not gotten to this stage yet.
Philadelphia - Market

My husband was diagnosed as having azoospermia (no sperm in semen analysis) and Dr. Masson was very delicate in breaking the news. He also gave us hope by informing us that we could try vitamins, surgical sperm extraction, or look into other options for building a family (donors, adoption, etc.) . He never once made us feel embrassed or ashamed and always gave us hope....My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the new
The nurses [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with....Arrive early, appointments start exactly on time. I have never waited more than 15 minutes before being called back for appointment. Allow extra time to ask questions if needed. Labs and pharmacy are all located close by, literally within blocks of each other or in the same building.... Only costs so far have been cost of consults $50 and all semen analyses have been covered by insurance (out of pocket would have been $100).
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask questions. Dr.Masson is great, I would highly recommend him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson was very sincere and expressed great empathy toward my husband and I during this difficult time.
Describe the protocols Puneet Masson used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
My husband had the TESE (surgical sperm extraction) however the surgery unfortunately yielded no sperm. However after the surgery Dr. Masson gently gave us the news and allowed us time to “take it all in”. The next day he called us directly to check on us and again asked if we had any questions. Dr. Masson and his staff were always easy and readily available via email and phone calls.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Penn Fertility Care.
The nurses were very compassionate. They also were easy to get in touch with.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care.
Describe Puneet Masson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.

2018 - 2019, Consult
So far have only done consultation with Dr. Edwards.... His personality is very warm and inviting making it easier to ask questions.... His strengths are his empathy and compassion for a very difficulty journey. He answers questions in a simple manner and during each encounter he takes his time to explain thing thoroughly. I have never felt rushed when speaking with him.... Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments.
Clinic [University of Pennsylvania] was very cleaned and maintained privacy. Clinic was spacious with a lot of room to move around. Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments. Weakness are parking but the clinic is in center city Philadelphia so that comes with the territory.... Nurses here seemed very informed about the trying to conceive language and seemed empathic toward patients.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
His personality is very warm and inviting making it easier to ask questions.
So far we have only been through consultations and are in the works of developing a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Clinic was very cleaned and maintained privacy. Clinic was spacious with a lot of room to move around. Waiting time is less than 15 minutes before being called back for appointments. Weakness are parking but the clinic is in center city Philadelphia so that comes with the territory.
So far have only done consultation with Dr. Edwards. Based on my insurance each consult or appointment will typically cost $50.
2015 - 2019, Consult
[Dr. Monica Mainigi] She really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary...Voice your concerns to her but do your own research prior to each appointment to have an educated discussion...She gave me HRT for pre-menopause symptoms and anovulation. She gave me a very low dosage she said I coukd take for the rest of my life.
[clinic of Penn Fertility Care] They are organized with keeping records as well. However they may not always update records in a timely manner. So you should always utilize the online tool to ensure everything is reflected properly...She [Dr. Mainigi] really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary..
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at Penn Fertility Care?
She really took the time to hear out my concerns and gave me honest feedback. She also was open to changing course if necessary. I felt and still feel like I could discuss anything with her. I would go back to her at any time to continue treatment.
She is very personable and always felt like a “girlfriend”!
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Reputation from penn medicine is strong. They are organized with keeping records as well. However they may not always update records in a timely manner. So you should always utilize the online tool to ensure everything is reflected properly.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Divya Shah] is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
[UPenn is] Organized and caring!! I always felt and feel important to them. I have never felt like a number!! They are prompt and informative. The financial people are also amazing at helping navigate you through the insurance coverage you might have and fee schedules!!... They [monitoring appts] were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
She is a wonderful, honest, thorough physician and she never got frustrated with my thousands of questions. She did everything she could to explain each step of my treatments with me. She also was extremely honest with me in regards to my fertility issues and what my realistic expectations for pregnancy were. I never felt like she would push me toward something she didn’t feel would work for me.
Come prepared with your questions and have an understanding of the process. I feel like having a handle on things and knowing what to ask shows that you are ready to make informed decisions and that you are completely invested in the process. She will explain and re-explain anything you don’t understand. She will give you realistic expectations and she will guide you toward the best options for your specific situation!
My doctor and the clinic always made me feel like my feelings, questions and requests were extremely important. I never felt like I was a number in Dr. Shah’s eyes!
I did two iuis with her using an antagonist protocol, then we did and hsg which showed I more than likely have a blocked right tube. We tried a microdose Lupron ivf protocol which never led to a retrieval and was cancelled on cycle day 13 after no growth. I am currently in the tww after a succeful ivf cycle called the estrogen patch protocol and an antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
Always willing to listen, respectful, knowledgeable and caring!! They all go above and beyond the call of duty.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
They were scheduled times with a first come first served policy. Through the years I got to know both the sweet lab technician and the wonderful ultrasound tech! They were always understanding and excited when all was going well or on the harder days too!!
I have insurance coverage to a certain capped amount, so I only paid a copay for dr visits and for donor sperm related costs. Medication coverage limits were reached so I pay all Meds out of pocket.
Because of my low amh and my age, we decided to transfer two eggs to give me the best chance of a positive pregnancy test. I completely agree.
Radnor

Dr Senapati explained the entire process in great detail...When I first went to see Dr Senapati I didn't know what to expect. She explained all the procedures such as IUI and IVF in great detail. I believe she could come off a little more compassionate as some of the other doctors I've met in the practice....Dr Senapati throws a lot of information at you at once. Make sure you bring your questions and you take down notes....
All staff [Upenn- Market] is very friendly and willing to answer any questions....My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing....Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was
How was your experience with Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr Senapati explained the entire process in great detail. If you have a question, my nurses got back to me the same day. When I went in to see my doctor or for blood work and sonogram I was seen within 15-20 minutes. All staff is very friendly and willing to answer any questions.
Describe the protocols Suneeta Senapati used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I began birth control for a few weeks and then went on 10ml of lupron. On the second day of my period I had a baseline ultrasound to check my ovaries and lining. I started injections (5ml lupron in the morning and 375ml Gonal F in the evening). I had bloodwork and ultrasounds to check my hormone levels and follicle development 4 days later and my dose changed to 5ml Lupron, 300 Gonal F and 150 menopur for the rest of the days. I took my HCG trigger shot on day 11 and had my egg retrieval on day 13 (36 after my trigger shot.) I sent my embryos out for PGS testing and i'm waiting on the results. I don't know the strategies behind or rational because I just did what the nurse told me to do.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Madeline)
My nurse Madeline was excellent. She showed me and my husband how to take the shots during our consultation. Madeline called me every evening to tell me my levels, what dose of medicine to take and how my follicles were progressing. After my eggs were retrieved she called and gave me updates.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Make sure you check in when you get to the desk. I went there one time and the receptionist didn't check me in and they called my phone asking where I was. Ask questions about what is your next step. The wait time is under 15-20 minutes. The staff is very friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suneeta Senapati at Penn Fertility Care.
From June 2017 until now $62,567 in medical expenses not including prescription drugs. I still have to do the IVF transfer after the PGS results come in.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
My nurse forgot to call in a script. When I called her, she called it in right away. The receptionist forgot to enter in the computer that I was there for my IUI appointment. My IUI was done 37.5 hours instead of 36 hours after my trigger shot.
Suneeta Senapati
Philadelphia - Market

Dr. Masson performed 2 TESEs for my husband and he recommended that he take Ubiquinol, Vitamin D and Ester C for a few months prior to the procedure. The first time, my husband was not aware of these recommendations but the TESE did yield viable sperm. He DID take the recommended supplements before the second TESE, which yielded sperm of approximately the same quality as the first time. So I can't say whether or not the supplements helped, but both procedures did yield useable sperm.
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic [UPenn-Market] as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.... The charges associated with my husband's TESE were extremely unclear. We got multiple bills that we were not expecting and they do not inform you about costs associated with sperm storage.
How was your experience with Puneet Masson at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Masson's biggest strength is his communication. We felt like he was genuinely invested in our care and made every effort to ensure that our other fertility specialists were aware of our needs. He was compassionate and called my husband before and after each procedure.
Don't be afraid to call his office to speak to him directly! His office staff was great about helping us get in touch with him.
Dr. Masson was very thorough and honest about our prognosis. He answered all of our questions and we never left appointments feeling confused or unsure of what to expect. We never had a hard time getting a hold of him directly and he called my husband numerous times regarding procedures, appointments, etc. I wish all of our doctors communicated like he does!
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Though we were happy with our doctors, we were not happy with the clinic as a whole and have since left the clinic. We felt that we rarely saw our doctor. In over a year Penn Fertility Care, we saw our official IVF doctor maybe three or four times total, including consultations.

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Butts wants me to have success. She listens to my questions/concerns/needs and has always agreed not to give up until I felt I was finished. When everything we had tried wasn’t working, she would consult with colleagues and come up with a new plan. She makes every effort to be the one to perform all of my procedures, and calls me personally to discuss any outcome or treatment plan.
They [University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care] are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous...I was always called by my doctor or my nurse with results, instructions, etc. They always made me feel like they were taking a personal interest in my case.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Try to research everything you can to find out what’s going on with your body. And don’t be afraid to have opinions or suggestions and stick up for yourself if you feel something isn’t right.
I did 3 IVF cycles using a combination of lupron, menopur and follistim. I have low AMH/DOR and a thin lining. I was only able to produce 9 eggs on my best cycle, and 4 eggs on my worst. Those 3 cycles resulted in 2 total embryos that were frozen for later FETs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
I would receive update phone calls from my nurse Dawn whenever Dr Butts was unable to call me herself. She was conscious of the hours I worked and always called at a reasonable time. She knew I wanted all the details and results of any tests or labs done. She was able to answer any questions I had and was knowledgeable about my case throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
They are busy in the mornings with routine monitoring appointments, but they always get patients through in a fairly quick time, while also taking the time necessary with each patient so you don’t feel you are being rushed. I’ve never had a problem scheduling an appointment when I needed one. All of the staff are very friendly and courteous.
Costs were minimal because I work in that health system and my insurance covered nearly everything in network. Once I hit my IVF insurance cap I had to pay $5k-$8k on remaining meds.
My doctor was willing to transfer multiple embryos if the quality wasn’t great. But in my case I only had 2 to work with so we did 2 separate single embryo transfers.

2014 - 2018, Successful
This clinic [U of Penn] has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great.
How was your experience with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer is very kind and compassionate. He takes the time to fully understand your story and your goals. I felt like I was very prepared for all of my procedures (HSG, IUI, egg retrieval), and knew I was in good hands. After my first miscarriage, he called multiple times to see how I was doing, both physically and mentally. I never felt like he was rushing me out of his office, and he treated me like family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Ask every question you have! Write them down and take your list with you. He will take all the time he needs to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Sondheimer and his nurse would personally call me back when I called with questions. He was so incredibly kind, especially after my first miscarriage, which was before I was in treatment with him. When I had to leave the practice due to insurance changes and a move out of the area, he called to tell me that he would always be there to support me in what I needed, and that he would love to keep in touch about life, good news, and my professional career (I'm a physician). I never felt rushed with him, and he made sure I felt cared for at a very vulnerable time in my life.
Describe the protocols Steven Sondheimer used in your cycles at Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did a stimulation protocol as follows: 1. Lupron for 10 days 2. Start Gonal-F 3. Add Menopur 4. hCG trigger shot I had monitoring appointments daily during stimulation. I have PCOS, so there was a slight concern of OHSS. My doctor retrieved 23 eggs, 19 of which fertilized. 8 of those matured, 5 were frozen on Day 5, and 3 were frozen on Day 6. I don't recall the exact grading, but my doctor assured me that they only ever froze embryos they thought would be successful as FET's.
Madeline was the best! She fully explained everything and called me daily with updates to my medications and treatment plans. The rest of the nurses with whom I interacted in the office were also great. They were all very friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
This clinic has many strengths, in my opinion. It is relatively easy to get an appointment within a reasonable timeframe for consults, and they are flexible with scheduling for labs and ultrasounds. They have a very knowledgeable financial counselor who works with insurances to get coverage when possible. They do all of their labs in-house, and results are reported relatively quickly. They have their own embryology labs directly connected to the OR's where they do retrievals, which is great. They require IVF education sessions before beginning a cycle, which is really helpful for getting questions answered about the process in general and what to expect. At the Market Street location, there is street parking, but there is also a garage and they will validate your parking so it's only $5, which is great for Philadelphia! I have not been to the other 2 locations. The only weakness that I can report is that your primary doctor may not be the one doing all the procedures. They do have fellows there who are training, but they are well-supervised by the attending physicians.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Sondheimer at Penn Fertility Care.
I was very fortunate to have insurance that covered fertility treatments entirely. I paid copays for my appointments. The embryo storage fee I believe was $550 for the initial freeze + 3 months, and then $225 billed quarterly after that.
Describe Steven Sondheimer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
I did not have an embryo transfer yet, but my doctor usually recommends single embryo transfer, because transferring 2 doesn't significantly increase your chance of pregnancy, and also to avoid the risk that comes with carrying multiples.
Steven Sondheimer
Philadelphia - Market

When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done.... I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments.... What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times.
How was your experience with Divya Shah at Penn Fertility Care?
When we started seeing Dr. Shah we had come from another fertility clinic who told us that IVF was the only option we should consider. Instead of just moving us along to that process, Dr. Shah ordered new rounds of bloodwork and some additional tests to round our our history that the other clinic hadn't done. Once we had those results, we were presented with two options - continue trying Clomid or move onto IVF. Given our current financial situation, it was a blessing to hear that Clomid was still a viable option for us. Since that first consultation I've seen Dr. Shah twice more. Each appointment she takes the time to explain to me in very simple ways what is going on in my body and how that impacts my fertility. She's patient and willing to explain things multiple times to make sure I feel comfortable with our plan. She's the best person we could have guiding us through this process at this time.
It took us over a month between when we initially called for an appointment and when we were able to schedule one, so I'd consider calling early. I also don't see her at every appointment, but have been able to (and encouraged by the nurses) schedule other appointments with her if I need to.
Dr. Shah and the team at UPenn Radnor knows me by name and always refers to me in that way during appointments. Additionally, they know that we drive over an hour each way to our appointments and make every effort to give me the first appointment slot so that my work day isn't interrupted significantly. They are reassuring and answer even some of the simplest of questions.
I have been taking the highest dosage allowed of Clomid coupled with an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation and timed intercourse. That combination works best for me - other options have not worked. Because I have PCOS and annovulation, she has not recommended that we move onto Clomid and IUI. IUI isn't going to increase our chances all that much more and because it isn't covered by my insurance, she doesn't think it's something we necessarily need to consider. This treatment combination has produced one strong follicle in 4 of the 5 cycles we've completed. We had no reaction in the last cycle which caused us to take a break for the summer. We just resumed last week and are in the middle of a sixth Clomid cycle now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan is the NP who is the primary on my case. She's just fantastic - even though we're in our sixth round of Clomid treatment, she has walked me through the steps every time and hasn't assumed I know what to do because I've done it before. She returns my phone calls within the same day and even at appointments where I'm in and out of the office before she comes in, she still calls me in the same day to check in and make sure I'm feeling ok with where things are.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
What I appreciate most about UPenn is that they are a teaching hospital. One of the first things that Dr. Shah said to us is that she will never push us to the most invasive - and often most expensive - treatment plan. Because they are a teaching and research hospital, there is benefit in moving through each prescribed option and trying things multiple times. It has resulted in a longer amount of time that we've been in treatment, which may not be for everyone depending on how long they've already been trying. But it's kept our treatments within the window of what is mostly covered by my insurance which meets our financial needs at this time.
Radnor

The Penn fertility nursing staff is highly variable. Some are very organized and compassionate, but mistakes occurred because different nurses will call with results and not have an understanding of specific cases. I frequently had to chase down results and information. One time I drove out for an hour to a specialty pharmacy just to find out that the prescription had not been sent in. These issues are due to organizational challenges around care coordination.
How was your experience with Samantha Butts at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Butts is knowledgeable and well-intentioned. She is flexible, and was willing to change my plan based on new information. But either she is pulled in too many different directions or she does not have sufficient time to spend with patients. I felt like I was a burden to her through my care cycle. She would express exasperation when faced with questions - rather than viewing patient questions as an opportunity to clarify and solidify the plan, she was defensive and vague with her responses. She expressed confidence that she knew my case very well, but frequently brought up factually incorrect information related to the medications I should have been taking and my medical history. She was difficult to reach and often unavailable. She did not express compassion for miscarriages and other challenges that I faced during my time in her care. I did not feel that she truly cared about or was invested in my fertility outcomes.
I would recommend for patients of Dr. Butts to be prepared to advocate for themselves.
Dr. Butts did not spend time getting to know me. She had poor knowledge of my medical history, and in communications would recount factually incorrect information about my history, my current medications, and my plan.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Penn Fertility will always have a lot of patients because some large employers in the Philadelphia area cover services there. It is a well-respected program and most of the physicians I interacted with are excellent. However, the clinic does not care at all about patient satisfaction or patient experience. The financial coordinators are particularly difficult to work with - they are rude, don't return calls, and are unwilling to help unless they are chasing you down for a bill. If this clinic is the only one covered by your insurance, you will likely get what you need. But if you are paying out of pocket, I would think about going elsewhere.
Monitoring appointments were convenient with relatively short wait times.
Approximately $5,000 out of pocket costs with insurance coverage including required mock transfer (out of pocket only), medications, and co-pays/deductibles.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kalra was thorough but we never felt she was warm or like she really had time for us. If I had a question that required speaking to her, I often felt like I was bothering her. She also sprung the need for ICSI on us on the morning of my retrieval (while I was gowned up and waiting for my IV placement) and it didn't really feel like she took the time to explain why she changed her mind....You might want to wok with Dr. Kalra is you really don't want anything sugar-coated. We found her bedside manner to be cold and not sympathetic for two people who are trying to keep hope alive
The positives of Penn is that if you work there, the insurance coverage is fantastic.... On the other side of the coin, the process for getting "bad news" isn't great.... Additionally, the weekend appointments sometimes ran 90 minutes behind for a simple blood draw and/or ultrasound. I also very much felt like a dollar sign. The financial person was entirely unprofessional and had no empathy at all for us.... I would never recommend them to anyone looking for care in Philly.
How was your experience with Suleena Kalra at Penn Fertility Care?
I often felt like I was bothering her when I asked questions. It's clear she was busy but also I was a patient of hers for a long time and it really never felt like we made a connection. It always felt rushed and like she was talking to a child. I work in women's health and reproductive health research, I understand a lot more because of my line of work and it still felt like she dodged some questions when I asked about more scientific or specific things.
You might want to wok with Dr. Kalra is you really don't want anything sugar-coated. We found her bedside manner to be cold and not sympathetic for two people who are trying to keep hope alive after a lot of failure and much heartache. Ultimately, this is why I asked to be reassigned to another doctor within the practice.
I did 6 medicated (clomid/letrozole) rounds and IUI before we were approved for IVF. All were negative. I went throw two egg retrieval rounds with her. We were lucky enough to have insurance coverage so we asked that she be as aggressive as possible because we didn't want to waste the coverage. She said she "was" but then after our first retrieval all embryos arrested after 5 days. The next time around she changed the medication, added in a course of HGH and we ended up with 6 embryos after 6 days of development. I did one fresh transfer which was negative and then one additional frozen transfer with her which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that point my husband and I both felt we didn't want to work with her anymore and asked to switch to a different, warmer doctor within the clinic.
I worked primarily with Dawn during the course of my treatment. Up until the end she was very helpful. Every time there was a negative result, she was right there working with me to schedule a follow up, and keep on the horse for next time. The main issue is take is that after my last transfer (which did result in positive rising HCG levels) but ultimately ended in miscarriage after the 6-week ultrasound, Dawn knew we didn't have any embryos left and also knew we weren't in a position to continue with more treatment at that time (after 6 IUIs, 2 retrievals and 6 transfers). The day we found out at the ultrasound that it wasn't viable I emailed later saying we were going to wait and see if the miscarriage would happen naturally but also asked her to check on the insurance coverage for the anesthesia for a D&C. She did not answer my email. 2 weeks later I finally followed to up to say that it had happened and i was fine. She responded that my message must have been lost by the surgical team and that was it. No sympathy, no apology for not responding and certainly no push to come back in for another follow up. That really made me feel like a major dollar sign (or lack there of) with Penn Fertility Care and one of the main reasons I would never recommend them to anyone looking for care in Philly.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
The positives of Penn is that if you work there, the insurance coverage is fantastic. We received 6 covered IUIs, 2 retrievals and three transfers all through my insurance plan. They also have several locations and you can go to any one you want depending on whats most convenient for you. Most of the time, for the early morning blood draw/ultrasound visits leading up to IUI or retrieval, they are mostly on time. On the other side of the coin, the process for getting "bad news" isn't great. Usually the ultrasound tech just says everything is fine but if it's not then they literally don't say anything and on the way out say "the doctor will come in and speak to you." It just was very anxiety provoking. Maybe this is true of all clinics, I don't know, but I really didn't like how it was handled. Additionally, the weekend appointments sometimes ran 90 minutes behind for a simple blood draw and/or ultrasound. I also very much felt like a dollar sign. The financial person was entirely unprofessional and had no empathy at all for us. Even though we had mailed a check which had not yet been received she basically threatened to cancel our embryo transfer if we didn't pay the bill for our embryo storage. We had literally received the bill earlier that week and mailing a check was the only option for payment. It wasn't an issue with being able to pay or not wanting to pay - they just literally hadn't received it yet. I never really felt connected to my care team or like anyone really cared about us (for the most part) and I was under their care for almost 3 years.
I was very lucky in that we had 6 IUIs, 2 retrievals and 2 transfers covered by our insurance. We had to pay for ICSI out of pocket as well as for embryo preservation. Those costs were reasonable but also weren't totally disclosed to us up front. We didn't realize that certain things were covered by insurance and others were not. ICSI was decided on the day of our retrieval so we were hit with a bill later which we were not expecting. It was okay for us but I could imagine for many couples it would not be.
Describe Suleena Kalra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Penn Fertility Care.
She was very set on eSET but this was also preferred by my insurance so we did follow through with two single transfers with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Penn Fertility Care.
For my second egg retrieval round my doctor added in a 5-day course of HGH. I was supposed to start it around 8 days prior to egg retrieval. That morning the nurse called with my blood work results and told me to "stay the course" with my meds. I asked, "okay, so don't change anything?" and she said "nope, don't change anything." When I went back two days later for follow up the nurse called with the results and asked how I was tolerating the HGH and I said I hadn't started it, that I wasn't told to start it. It became a big deal as to whether or not they would cancel the cycle and ultimately my doctor decided to allow the cycle to continue with a delayed start to the HGH. Additionally, when I went for our first retrieval the cover sheet they had for my treatment was actually for a different person and after the third discrepancy between what the nurse said and what my husband and I questioned as not what we had been told she went to speak to our doctor and realized it has been filled out with someone else in mind. That didn't make us feel confident at all.
Philadelphia - Walnut St

Dr. Edwards was always warm and positive. He often ran late for his appointments but also took as much time as you needed with him once you were in the office with him. I appreciated his optimism and generally jolly demeanor....I liked working with Dr. Edwards up until our miscarriage. We went to an ultrasound with Dr. Edwards where he told us he pregnancy wasn't viable and without what even felt like 2 minutes to recover from that news he started to discuss options for miscarriage. It felt too soon and also his super positive happy demeanor felt very at odds with having to deliver bad news.
How was your experience with Scott Edwards at Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Edwards is very much a cheerleader however we had to pursue asking a lot of questions and ask about options for what to change when we had multiple transfers with either no result or chemical pregnancy, he was find just keeping doing what we were doing without adjusting anything to help improve outcomes. Finally after we asked if there was anything that could be changed he brought up some other options.
We did two double embryo transfers with Dr. Edwards. The first was just standard care but we had already had one negative result from a fresh transfer, high-grade embryo and one frozen high-grade embryo. The first double transfer results in nothing. After that, and much discussion, he decided to push the transfer date back by a day for the second double transfer. That resulted in an early miscarriage at around 7 weeks.
Describe your experience with Penn Fertility Care.
Penn Medicine has multiple locations which is nice and you can go to any of them. My primary location usually ran pretty well on schedule for blood work/ultrasound appointments in the morning when prepping for egg retrieval or IUI. The space was light and bright and always clean. The downsides are that many of their staff need to be trained with regard to compassion. The financial person was extremely condescending and really didn't seem like she understood how emotional the infertility experience can be. She didn't respond in a timely manner, didn't get an IUI request submitted on time causing us to have to cancel and generally wasn't very nice. Additionally, there as never any discussion of mental health, how I was feeling or any suggestion for counseling. I was lucky enough to already being care with a trusted provider but many people are not and that should have been discussed.
We paid for both transfers out of pocket with Dr. Edwards, both were $2,500 each which we knew up front. As I mentioned in another section, I really was not impressed with the financial person whatsoever. She was cold and unprofessional, didn't follow through on some requests and talked to us like we were children.
He was comfortable transferring two embryos after we had been through two transfers with no positive outcome.