Genetic counseling: Offered
South Jordan
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
801-213-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?

2017 - 2019
each time I specifically asked to speak with Dr Johnstone, she contacted me personally. When you have her time, she is 100% focused on you and takes the time to answer each question...She is sympathetic and has a great bedside manner. I do wish we would’ve exhausted all possible options to attempt to diagnose my unexplained infertility, but I understand the limitations due to insurance and clinic guidelines and recommendations. She is very knowledgeable and is aware of all published research and updates in infertility, and is happy to discuss them with you...she is constantly reviewing your chart and notes and messages. If you need to reach her, she is available.
The nurses at UCRM are well educated and informative. They will consult with your RE if you have a question they aren’t sure how to address. Unfortunately I had a few instances of unanswered messages and phone calls that resulted in me calling the after hours on call physician for clarification on a trigger shot timing and cycle procession. Sometimes your questions are answered in a few hours and other times it’s 24 hours plus...Strength: experienced providers and nursing staff. CAP approved Andrology and embryology laboratories. Evidence-based practice. Weakness: university-based setting, so you’ll have fellows performing ultrasounds and IUI’s. Frustrating lack of communication with nurses and your primary RE at times. You have to be your own advocate- do not depend on anyone but yourself to remember specifics or your history, even if they are performing an ultrasound or IUI.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone takes as much time as is needed to answer all of your questions. She is sympathetic and has a great bedside manner. I do wish we would’ve exhausted all possible options to attempt to diagnose my unexplained infertility, but I understand the limitations due to insurance and clinic guidelines and recommendations. She is very knowledgeable and is aware of all published research and updates in infertility, and is happy to discuss them with you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Even if you don’t see Dr. Johnstone at every appointment, know she is constantly reviewing your chart and notes and messages. If you need to reach her, she is available.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
The clinic is very busy and you’re often seen or educated by other providers (ultrasound tech, nurse, other doc on call). However, each time I specifically asked to speak with Dr Johnstone, she contacted me personally. When you have her time, she is 100% focused on you and takes the time to answer each question
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
The overall strategy was to try clomid and IUI for a few cycles. This resulted in one chemical pregnancy. We moved to letrozole with GonalF after issues with thin lining due to clomid. This change resulted in a single intrauterine pregnancy, which resulted in miscarriage at week 11 due to trisomy 18. We had a hysteroscopy and then 3 more medicated IUI cycles with letrozole and gonalF, all of which failed. We are moving to IVF next.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
IUI are $360 Ultrasound for monitoring IUI are $230 (cash) PLUS a $50 office visit fee (new in May 2019) Consult with Dr. Johnstone around $200 depending on length and if it’s a follow up visit. Moving to IVF this cycle. Estimated costs of retrieval and embryology, PLUS embryo biopsy is $10, 830 Not including meds ($4-8,000) Frozen embryo transfer is $2,720, does not include meds ($600-800)
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
I did not have an embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I had to call or message repeatedly to have prescriptions called into the pharmacy. Nurse failed to follow up with me regarding proceeding of IUI based on over stimulation. I had to call the after hours on call physician for clarification
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The plan [with Dr. Megan Link] was definitely single embryo transfer. We felt like we were well educated on the risks of multiples and why they recommend single transfer. And then we had two poor morulas and we decided to transfer both. I really appreciated the flexibility and personalization that went into this joint decision making...I received personal calls from her when the results weren't what we wanted. She sat with me and listened to me and genuinely seemed to care about me and my experience...She was warm, caring, and a great communicator. I felt that she was very invested in us and our journey. She explained things well and co-partnered with us in each step. She wasn't pushy or aggressive. She gently explained what her recommendations were and WHY that was her recommendation. But decision making felt like a partnership (e.g. transferring 2 morulas on day 5 without PGS, despite the initial plan being a freeze, then transfer cycle)
Lisa [nurse at University of Utah] was very responsive and kind. She did a lot of the communication and teaching which was great...we worked very closely with the financial coordinator who was amazing...Long wait to get into our initial appointment. That was hard, because we had already waited so long to be ready to take that step. The clinic was wonderful in helping me schedule early morning visits so that I could get to work after. I spent a LOT of time there, so it was wonderful that they were as flexible as they could be...The plan was definitely single embryo transfer. We felt like we were well educated on the risks of multiples and why they recommend single transfer. And then we had two poor morulas and we decided to transfer both. I really appreciated the flexibility and personalization that went into this joint decision making.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Megan Link at University of Utah?
She is busy - so I felt really good about researching basic science and principles prior to the visit, then having much deeper, personalized discussions in our visits.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr. Link was wonderful - I received personal calls from her when the results weren't what we wanted. She sat with me and listened to me and genuinely seemed to care about me and my experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa was very responsive and kind. She did a lot of the communication and teaching which was great.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Megan Link at University of Utah.
We were very lucky to have all costs covered by insurance. This is not something that the clinic had ever done before (we needed a gap exception from our insurance, as they were not in network), but we worked very closely with the financial coordinator who was amazing.
Describe Megan Link's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Megan Link at University of Utah.

he [Dr. Joseph Letourneau] was ready to answer any questions we had and did a great job of explaining what was expected...He was very nice, he reviewed all of the facts...We really only had a few short minutes with him, but he didn't seem rushed. He re-explained everything clearly and his manner was very warm and confident...my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better. From there they suggested having my husband tested and then having my tubes tested if we are unsuccessful in gettting a pregnancy within 3-4 months. I have tried a similar treatment in the past with my OBGYN, so they would like to start there and then go forward.
entire team [at The University of Utah] was very caring. They had a great bedside manner...nurse practitioner explained everything to us, even drew pictures to help us understand the "why" behind the treatment...They set up lab work to eliminate any other underlying health issues I might have to determine if I have PCOS. From there, my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better.
How was your experience with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Today was our first consultation appointment. He was very nice, he reviewed all of the facts and agreed with the treats the nurse practitioner had just suggested to us. We really only had a few short minutes with him, but he didn't seem rushed. He re-explained everything clearly and his manner was very warm and confident.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Ask questions! If you have a question he will answer it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
His entire team was very caring. They had a great bedside manner. His nurse practitioner explained everything to us, even drew pictures to help us understand the "why" behind the treatment. We had our first consultation with Joseph M Letourneau, MD, and he was ready to answer any questions we had and did a great job of explaining what was expected.
Describe the protocols Joseph Letourneau used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
He set up a treatment plan for me after they diagnosed me with anovulation. They set up lab work to eliminate any other underlying health issues I might have to determine if I have PCOS. From there, my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better. From there they suggested having my husband tested and then having my tubes tested if we are unsuccessful in gettting a pregnancy within 3-4 months. I have tried a similar treatment in the past with my OBGYN, so they would like to start there and then go forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly)
We really liked the nurse coordinator. She explained everything, so much so that when she asked us what questions we had at the end of our visit, we couldn't think of anything. She even drew pictures for us to describe our situation. She was very kind, helpful and funny!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Pros for this clinic - they have several doctors to choose from. Working with the University of Utah health is really convenient. The myChart app is simple to use and easily connects you with your doctor. If you have any followup questions, they can easily see your message and get back to you within the same day sometimes. Cons for this clinic - Nothing so far. We have appreciated the level of care that we recieve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah.
Trigger Shot - $100 UltraSound - $200 Office Visit - $200
Describe Joseph Letourneau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We have not discussed this yet.
Joseph Letourneau
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah.

Dr. Johnstone is very open. At first, she suggested an unmedicated IUI, but I voiced that my periods have been irregular so I'd like to do a medicated cycle--without hesitation, Dr. Johnstone agreed...This made me feel like Dr. Johnstone and I are on a team, working together rather than just relying on her...I had an IUI with donor sperm, Letrozole (to promote egg growth) and Ovidrel (to trigger ovulation.) The first IUI was unsuccessful so we are going to try two more rounds then consider IVF. (Hopefully we won't have to do IVF since I have no idea how we'll be able to afford it!)
I love that after each ultrasound [at University of Utah], I was able to meet with a nurse practitioner. It was very reassuring (especially since it was our first time doing IUI) to be able to sit down and walk through the plan and get a clear understanding of the process. The other staff, from check in to check out were very warm and accommodating...Thanks to the MyChart system, communication with staff & Dr. Johnstone is very easy. We only had one hiccup when trying to schedule an ultrasound during a holiday. Other than that, working with the scheduling team has been great.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
We only saw Dr. Johnstone during our initial consultation but I felt the nurses overseeing our ultrasounds & procedures consulted her every step of the way. Dr. Johnstone agreed that we would regroup and meet again if our 3rd IUI was not successful. During our consultation, she made me feel like my age wasn't a deterring factor and she couldn't see anything that would prevent us from having a baby. I don't like things to be sugar-coated and she gave us hope that felt grounded in reality. Realistic hope is so, so valuable.
Come prepared with questions. And if you have an opinion about your treatment plan, communicate that because Dr. Johnstone is very open. At first, she suggested an unmedicated IUI, but I voiced that my periods have been irregular so I'd like to do a medicated cycle--without hesitation, Dr. Johnstone agreed. Other doctors would have made me feel uneducated for suggesting something other than their initial plan. This made me feel like Dr. Johnstone and I are on a team, working together rather than just relying on her.
During my appointment, Dr. Johnston never made me feel rushed, she took the time answering all of my questions. She has a very warm demeanor while also providing excellent information.
I love that after each ultrasound, I was able to meet with a nurse practitioner. It was very reassuring (especially since it was our first time doing IUI) to be able to sit down and walk through the plan and get a clear understanding of the process. The other staff, from check in to check out were very warm and accommodating.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Initial consultation fee, initial blood work, 2 ultrasounds, andrology preparation fee, IUI
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Peterson] is very knowledgeable as a doctor and I trust him with my infertility problems. However, I don’t think he specifically knows me and I feel a bit like a number. He is very smart and I believe though him I will be able to get pregnant and that is the most import to me. ... If you want a loving doctor that is there for you to spill your heart to, this isn’t your guy. If you want someone that is smart and you feel can get you pregnant and are confident in him then this is a great candidate.
Strengths are that they [U of Utah] are always using the best practice and doing research to make sure you are getting the best care. Weaknesses are that you don’t feel the loving side from the staff. Sometimes you feel more like a number. ... I would often send her [nurse] an email and ask her 4 questions in the email and she would only respond back to one of them. I would have to keep bugging her to get information from her. She made me want to switch clinics because she didn’t keep me informed. But I felt good with dr Peterson.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very knowledgeable as a doctor and I trust him with my infertility problems. However, I don’t think he specifically knows me and I feel a bit like a number. He is very smart and I believe though him I will be able to get pregnant and that is the most import to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I feel like by dr Peterson I was a human. But his staff sometimes treated me like a number. I will email the clinic with multiple questions and they only answer one. I have a hard time getting the information I need.
Describe the protocols Matthew Peterson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I have yet to get pregnant with him. I am still a patient of his so this isn’t for me specifically. I am doing IVF with ICSI. we also did a sperm biopsy. We will also be doing PGC testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Cherie Booth )
She want a good communicator. I would often send her an email and ask her 4 questions in the email and she would only respond back to one of them. I would have to keep bugging her to get information from her. She made me want to switch clinics because she didn’t keep me informed. But I felt good with dr Peterson.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths are that they are always using the best practice and doing research to make sure you are getting the best care. Weaknesses are that you don’t feel the loving side from the staff. Sometimes you feel more like a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.
11k IVF/ICSI 2.5k sperm biopsy 3-5k Medications 6k pgc testing with natera
Describe Matthew Peterson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
+ Read more- Read less

You mostly see nurses... and only see Erica Johnstone when you're discussing next steps in a new plan. She is very knowledgeable. She knew I had PCOS within 5 minutes of talking with me, whereas other OBGYN's and another fertility doctor never even brought it up as an option. I'm so grateful to her for knowing what has been wrong with me this whole time!...We first started out with 2.5mg of letrozole, ovidrel shot after day 11 ultrasound. This is timed ovulation - my follicles weren't producing good enough eggs, so they increased my dosage to 5mg of letrozole. Then I was producing a good egg follicle. Once we did this for 4 months, we started IUI with the exact same procedure as above. I'm in my 2WW to see if my second IUI has worked or not.
They [nurses at University of Utah] are INCREDIBLE. Seriously they're the greatest ever. We can't say enough good things about them. They are caring, loving, kind, and compassionate. They explain everything very thoroughly and help us with whatever we need. If I email them they are very timely in their responses. They never make me feel dumb if I have a question...360 for IUI's, 380ish for ultrasounds...They are very organized. They always leave us with step by step instructions on what do to that month with our plan. They are very easy to reach by phone or email. They are all very loving and caring. They work hard to accommodate us.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
You mostly see nurses at UCRM, and only see Erica Johnstone when you're discussing next steps in a new plan. She is very knowledgeable. She knew I had PCOS within 5 minutes of talking with me, whereas other OBGYN's and another fertility doctor never even brought it up as an option. I'm so grateful to her for knowing what has been wrong with me this whole time!
Be prepared to see nurses more than her. Which is fine! :)
She has great bedside manner! Very personable, asked us personal questions about what we like to do. She seems to really care about us.
They are INCREDIBLE. Seriously they're the greatest ever. We can't say enough good things about them. They are caring, loving, kind, and compassionate. They explain everything very thoroughly and help us with whatever we need. If I email them they are very timely in their responses. They never make me feel dumb if I have a question.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
360 for IUI's, 380ish for ultrasounds.
none
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] has a lot of experience and knowledge he was very open with me about his opinions. I felt like he was very trustworthy and optimistic. Overall I have appreciated his communication and concern which has been improved over prior doctors. All of my procedures have gone fairly smoothly with very little pain or side effects...He will want to try multiple things even if you transfer from another clinic, but if you are blunt and tell him what you want and think he will often be willing to compromise.
[The nurses at University of Utah] wasn't always prompt in answering all my questions. When I tried to explain a situation that may delay our FET she didn't seem to know how to respond and in the end our transfer was delayed due to the situation. Some more communication between the egg retrieval and transfer would have been helpful...most of my appointments were on time and in and out...The clinic is very busy and has many patients, there are definitely times you feel like a number when you explain your situation and then start IUI or another treatment and they want to proceed like they do with every other patient. I tend to have shorter cycles and have struggled getting the timing right for IUI.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He has a lot of experience and knowledge he was very open with me about his opinions. I felt like he was very trustworthy and optimistic. Overall I have appreciated his communication and concern which has been improved over prior doctors. All of my procedures have gone fairly smoothly with very little pain or side effects.
Be patient. He will want to try multiple things even if you transfer from another clinic, but if you are blunt and tell him what you want and think he will often be willing to compromise.
With IUI we tried the same medicines I had with prior ones, letrozole, and then ultrasounds to monitor growth near ovulation. UCRM also does sperm washing. The first attempt I only had one follicle and it showed early in my cycle so we did times intercourse. Attempt number two with meds I had three and we did and IUI but doctor Peterson was not the doctor on call that day. With my In Vitro we did egg retrieval and a freeze all cycle. We just barely transferred our first frozen embryo and are awaiting results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie)
She wasn't always prompt in answering all my questions. When I tried to explain a situation that may delay our FET she didn't seem to know how to respond and in the end our transfer was delayed due to the situation. Some more communication between the egg retrieval and transfer would have been helpful. But overall she has done a great job answering my questions and ensuring I know when and where to be and what medicines to take each day of my cycle.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Billing department is a major weakness. They would tell you one thing and then bill you for something else. I am paying for all my treatment out of pocket as our insurance won't cover us. Twice I felt like I needed to dispute an over-charge the first time I still ending up paying even though I felt wronged. The second one they did end up "writing off" my account but it took 4-5 weeks and speaking with several people. Other than that they are very friendly, helpful and most of my appointments were on time and in and out.
The initial consultation fee was 205.00. During the IUI process they would bill for each ultrasound, 230.00 then it was another 140.00 for the actual insemination the day of the procedure. They billed me again to consult with my doctor about IVF specifically but charged us 151.00. We paid 510 for the a Sonohysterogram. Then it was 9300 for egg retrieval (prescription were paid separately bought directly from the pharmacy). Then our FET was an additional 2700.
My doctor is very against transferring more than one embryo due to the risk of multiples in pregnancy. Due to my age and first time with In Vitro he would not budge on this issue.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
It was very hard to get the results of my frozen embryos on day 5. Due to my work schedule I missed the phone call and it took several phone calls, being transferred multiple times and speaking to three people before I was able to get someone to call me back and tell me how many embryos survived. As this is a high stress topic I was a little frustrated by it.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.

2015 - 2019
[Dr. Megan Link] is very kind, has a good energy about her, and loves what she does. I have always felt she is looking out for me and my best interest...She is very knowledgeable and willing to share and ease fears, frustrations, struggles, and educate you on anything... She really pays attention to who you are, how you are doing, what is working and not working, thorough with her responses and the information provided, gives great counsel and instructions on steps to take and what to think about.
This clinic [University of Utah] is very clean and organized. They are a busier clinic but work to ensure your needs are met and if there are any hiccups or problems they make you aware of them. The staff work together to ensure the best quality care for everyone. They strive to recognize you and know who you are...They [nurses] are open and honest with findings, needs, and mapping out procedures and medications needed. They ensure you know what to expect and what your responsibilities are before you leave your appointments.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Megan is the second doctor we have had during our IVF journey. I was nervous at first when our initial doctor transferred to a different practice. I thought that no one could be equal or compare to the doctor we had to begin our journey. We met Megan and I can say that she is amazing. She is very similar to our initial doctor in many ways which was a huge comfort. Megan is very kind, has a good energy about her, and loves what she does. I have always felt she is looking out for me and my best interest. She watched closely the process and steps being taken making sure no changes need to be made in medications, etc. She has also shown compassion during the hard times such as, our miscarriage and our two failed Frozen Embryo Transfers. She has sent me messages expressing her sadness and pain at the different losses we have experienced. Megan has also been supportive when we have taken breaks and given ourselves time to grieve, breathe, and evaluate next steps.
My advice is to be honest about things and ask ALL questions, even if you think they are silly. Megan will not disappoint in her response. She is very knowledgeable and willing to share and ease fears, frustrations, struggles, and educate you on anything.
Megan is very personable and has a warm, upbeat personality. She really pays attention to who you are, how you are doing, what is working and not working, thorough with her responses and the information provided, gives great counsel and instructions on steps to take and what to think about. Megan gives realistic timelines and prepares you for all and any possible outcomes. She takes her time and works to do what is best for you. If I were a number, I feel, she would not take the time to be thorough and get to know you and share or discuss all and any questions or concerns you have. I have never felt rushed or as if she was in a hurry to get done. She is genuine in all she does.
Describe the protocols Megan Link used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Estradiol - egg retrieval Estrace -- IVF Gonal F -- egg retrieval Lupron -- IVF - embyro transfer Progesterone -- IVF -- embryo transfer Ovidrel -- egg retrieval Cetrotide -- egg retrieval Menopur -- egg retrieval Saizen - egg retrieval Doxycycline -- egg retrieval-embryo transfer
The nursing staff is amazing and look out for you and your needs the entire time you are there and going through different procedures. They are very organized and work to ensure no further burdens on you as a patient. They are open and honest with findings, needs, and mapping out procedures and medications needed. They ensure you know what to expect and what your responsibilities are before you leave your appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very clean and organized. They are a busier clinic but work to ensure your needs are met and if there are any hiccups or problems they make you aware of them. The staff work together to ensure the best quality care for everyone. They strive to recognize you and know who you are.
$23,100 for one canceled round and one full round $2,550 for 7 IUI's $8,240 for embryo transfers $460 for semen/egg test $3,500 + for additional medications, office visits, unexpected procedures
We were completely educated about single vs multiple embryo transfers. From the beginning we came up with an overall plan on how we would move forward in using our embryos. This helped us to know what to expect moving forward. In all the planning an discussion the final approval was left to us as to how and when embryos would be used.
+ Read more- Read less

Doctor Peterson first did a consultation with me. Then I went in for a saline ultrasound to make sure everything looked good.... He had great bedside manner even when I was super nervous. He was very kind and gentle. He understood the risks of 2 embryos and explained why. There was nothing he was hiding and was very straightforward of what we were going to experience.
They [U of Utah] are well organized. They grab your insurance first thing and you have to pay the consultation out of pocket just in case insurance doesn't cover it. You also get your bills online then in your check. You can communicate with your doctor through my chart which is really nice.... The nursing staff was very kind and helped me know that doctor Peterson was kind too. Nursing staff answered questions I had that I felt embarrassed to ask a guy /doctor about.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Allow him to get to know you. Be open with him about your medical history.
He reviewed what Hotaling sent over from my husband and talked with me about our lifestyle. Asked what we had done so far and already knee my husband's medical history. When I went a second time he was understanding that I was nervous.
Doctor Peterson first did a consultation with me. Then I went in for a saline ultrasound to make sure everything looked good. He told me to take ibuprofen to help with cramps on my period and knew that we were waiting for the sperm retrieval. He explained to me the different scenerios about the sperm retrieval and suggested that we do genetic testing for my deafness and asked if that was something we wanted to pass down to our children.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are well organized. They grab your insurance first thing and you have to pay the consultation out of pocket just in case insurance doesn't cover it. You also get your bills online then in your check. You can communicate with your doctor through my chart which is really nice.
The costs with Doc Matthew Peterson was about 500-2500 with the consultation and saline ultrasound. He also mentioned that the IVF cost was going to be 14000. And that it would need to be paid in full before starting. He understood that we were still waiting for the sperm retrieval. He shares a lab with doctor Hotaling.
He wants to do a single embryo transfer because of my husbands medical situation from when he was born with bladder extrophy. He said twins may increase the chance of extrophy of an organ since it's a genetic thing.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Hotaling] was being very relatable and personable. He understood my husbands situation. His case is so rare that Hotaling was literally the only person in the state who could help my husband.... He told us that he read my husband's medical history. Asked some questions. He said we would have to do a semen analysis even though he knew it would be hard so he was thinking that the sperm might be in the urine.
The clinic [U of Utah] may not accept your insurance. That was the problem with us. We had to pay things out of pocket. They were understanding and let us use a credit card. They were organized and knew my husband's medical history. We didn't have to repeat ourselves to multiple people. They had a detailed survey for us to take to help figure out what was going on.... Our cost was about $500-$1000 for the consultation, tests and labs. We need another 2400 for the sperm extraction.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was very nice and discreet. Good bed side manner. Did not make things feel awkward. He understood our situation and that it was impossible for us to get pregnant without his help due to male factor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Be open with him and let him know everything so he can diagnose you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was being very relatable and personable. He understood my husbands situation. His case is so rare that Hotaling was literally the only person in the state who could help my husband. And our insurance didn't even cover Hotaling. He understood exactly what we needed to do.
Describe the protocols James Hotaling used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
He told us that he read my husband's medical history. Asked some questions. He said we would have to do a semen analysis even though he knew it would be hard so he was thinking that the sperm might be in the urine. If not we were going to have to do a blood test to see if his body was making sperm. If that was positive then he would have to do a sperm extraction. That's what we are waiting for next so we can move forward with IVF.
Everyone was friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic may not accept your insurance. That was the problem with us. We had to pay things out of pocket. They were understanding and let us use a credit card. They were organized and knew my husband's medical history. We didn't have to repeat ourselves to multiple people. They had a detailed survey for us to take to help figure out what was going on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Hotaling at University of Utah.
Describe James Hotaling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
He and another doctor had strong preference of 1 embryo transferred due to my husband's medical situation.
James Hotaling

PCOS, Unexplained
When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to....Started letrozole took 4 cycles and she explained the risks she explained clomid and how she thought letrozole would be a better fit. I started with 5mg and then was changed to 7.5 mg
They [U of Utah - nurses] were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.... They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags....They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
She was very direct and got to the point she seemed younger ( I dont know her age) but she was easy to connect with! She made sure I felt comfortable and made me feel she would do everything she could to make a baby happen for me
If you want action and the process to start she is your girl
I had previously been seeing an obgyn for 2 years. She didn’t put my on any medication and I felt I only spent a short amount of time with and I was wasting my time. When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to. She immediately started action and got me on letrozole the same day. I’m so glad I went to her. We are still in the process of working with her but I am very hopeful she will take the necessary steps to get me pregnant SOON!
They were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I would have more information on where to go inside the building because it was huge and I got lost. I would maybe ask for clarification as to where you were going. They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags.
They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered. The price they offer is cheaper then billing insurance. The cost hasn’t been anything crazy
I have not experienced this yet.

9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Peterson always takes he time to explain everything and never makes you feel rushed. The minute you start treatments with him, you have his personal cell number if you need anything... We did IUI a few times basically because it’s low cost and worth trying. When that didn’t work, we ended up going with an egg donor and IVF. We were pregnant the first time on both IVF cycles and both resulted in a live birth.
Everything about this clinic [U of Utah] is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy....Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that....Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with.
9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is the best doctor I’ve ever been to! He is very knowledgeable when it comes to infertility and I was confident that If anyone could help us get our children here, it would be him. He also has great bedside manner and is very open and honest about why he thinks you should or shouldn’t try certain treatments.
Book the appointment as soon as you can! Because he’s amazing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer and Danielle)
Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with. They were extremely helpful and so knowledgeable. We love them!!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everything about this clinic is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy.
Fertility is very expensive. Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that.
I was happy that he recommended only implanting one egg. Since the embryo quality was so high using a donor egg, our chances were very good to conceive and there can be a lot of complications with multiples.

2017 - 2019
He [Dr. Peterson] pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. ... when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects
They [University of Utah] are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything. ... the whole nursing staff was awesome! they would come in and explain the next step and take all your questions and if you email they get right back to you right away!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
he is the nicest guy ever! He pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. I honestly can't say enough good things about him! Everyone who goes to him loves him!!
Don't wait get in now! he is pretty booked but once your in his care he never lets you get forgotten! take your questions and concerns he will listen!
I LOVE LOVE DR PETERSEN! I was a little skeptical going to him but as soon as I was there and he came in he immediately made me and my husband feel so comfortable and genuinely cared about us he asked us about our daughter and wanted to see pictures and really acted like he cared to see it. He explained the whole process with us about where we start and offered suggestions on cost as well all in the first appointment
when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects, then I came back and he started me on chlomid as well as letrozle, and we did quite a few of that rounds then I went crazy on the clhomid and he even agreed not the best choice if we weren't getting our best results so he switched it up and made sure I knew all the risk of the gonal f injections as well as the price. he let me know that IUI is better than timed intercourse at this stage and now we just did the first round of gonal F
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi )
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything.
He finds way to see if your insurance can cover some like utlrasounds, medicine is anywhere from 12-400 and the iui are 360

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Link has been aggressive in my treatment but not so much so that I suffered any negative effects. I appreciate her stance on things like only transferring one embryo at a time but I also feel like she would hear me out of I truly wanted something different. ... Every interaction I have had with Dr. Link she has gone over everything in so much detail (even often making drawings and explaining medical terms and processes to me) and has answered all of my questions. As someone who meticulously researches things, I often have a full list of questions for her (and follow-ups to her answers) and she goes through each and every question with me and ensures I understand while not making me feel like I worry too much or ask too many things.
UCRM is very busy and sees a huge number of patients. I never felt like this lessened their care for me but I did mean I had to wait quite awhile to initially be seen and I generally have to schedule appointments fairly far out. As UCRM is based at a research institution (University of Utah), they are very research oriented and this sometimes does make me feel like their treatment options and protocols are more "in the box." UCRM has impressive statistics and I do feel that I stand the best chance of getting a baby by choosing them as my clinic.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
I've been seeing Dr. Link at UCRM for over 2 years now. From the very beginning she was so patient, kind and informative. I had a negative experience with a previous RE but Dr. Link has been the polar opposite to that person. Every interaction I have had with Dr. Link she has gone over everything in so much detail (even often making drawings and explaining medical terms and processes to me) and has answered all of my questions. As someone who meticulously researches things, I often have a full list of questions for her (and follow-ups to her answers) and she goes through each and every question with me and ensures I understand while not making me feel like I worry too much or ask too many things. My appointments have never been rushed and she makes sure I leave feeling empowered and ready for whatever is next. Although I have not yet gotten pregnant, she remains very positive while not sugarcoating the situation.
Ask whatever questions you have (no matter how small or detailed they might be) Dr. Link. She is wonderful about breaking things down and making sure her patients feel heard and are informed. Having all my concerns and questions answered has made this long process much easier.
From the start of my time with Utah Center of Reproductive Medicine I have felt that my needs and concerns were being taken seriously. My questions are answered in a timely manner and my treatment plan has been clear. I was concerned at first that such a large clinic based at a Tier 1 research institution would lead to me being treated as a number but this has not been the case whatsoever.
Dr. Link has been aggressive in my treatment but not so much so that I suffered any negative effects. I appreciate her stance on things like only transferring one embryo at a time but I also feel like she would hear me out of I truly wanted something different. My treatment protocol was dialed down as I was responding well and I appreciated this. I did not want to risk OHSS. After my first failed transfer, Dr. Link spend another appointment with me going over everything we did and my results. We talked about a plan of action for the next round and she also was very accommodating when I asked for additional testing and procedures (such as a hysteroscopy, which resulted in a removed polyp).
Lisa was my IVF nurse. She was very organized and kept in constant contact with me. I was so nervous that I was going to mess something up with my meds and waste thousands of dollars but she explained everything so clearly and answered all the questions I had throughout the cycle. The nursing staff in general at UCRM has been very kind and helpful. I have had a few nurses who seemed to lack some of the attention to detail I had gotten so used to and I had to be much more of an advocate for myself when dealing with them.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
All of my diagnostic costs were covered by my insurance. I paid completely out of pocket for all IVF expenses. My full IVF retrieval cycle was about $9000 (not including ICSI, which we did not do). Medications were another $4000. The clinic does offer a guarantee program which we will be using for our next IVF cycle. I found UCRM's prices to be reasonable but potentially higher than other local clinics. However, UCRM has better success rates, from what I can tell.
Dr. Link prefers not to transfer more than one embryo at a time. She went over her rationale for this and used scientific, research-based statistics for why she wants patients to only transfer one at a time. That said, I do believe that if I pushed for more than one embryo and had the medical rationale for it, she would be receptive to it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I had one negative experience with a nurse (Jennifer S.) who I had to call back multiple times before she got me the information I needed. As such, an appointment for a procedure that should have been scheduled right away after a consultation I had with Dr. Link took MONTHS to schedule. There was absolutely no reason this needed to be the case. The nurse was not good at communicating with me and put the blame on others. I came very close to reporting her to Dr. Link and to this day I dread having to work with her again. But again, this did not taint my overall experience with UCRM.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I am frustrated because she [Dr. Johnstone] never really explained why she thought we were going through infertility. It was just let's try this and then go to the next step. I think everyone who goes through infertility struggles with how long things seem to take, and I felt the same way, but I don't think it had anything to do with her personally. It was just my body and waiting for the next cycle. ...
I do like the fact that I can communicate with them [University of Utah] and usually get a response within one day. The Nurse Practitioner Sarah has been amazing, and she helped me after the miscarriage and understanding my feelings, etc. ... They were difficult to get into, but I think that's because of only one of their Drs. is covered under Select Health so it took some time before I could get in to see her. You won't have the same person do your IUIs, it's just whoever is there that day.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I am frustrated because she never really explained why she thought we were going through infertility. It was just let's try this and then go to the next step. I think everyone who goes through infertility struggles with how long things seem to take, and I felt the same way, but I don't think it had anything to do with her personally. It was just my body and waiting for the next cycle.
Do your research and ask for an OAR test to be done to know where you are starting out.
Her staff has been great to respond to me, and they took the time to answer my questions. When I did my first IUI and got pregnant, I kind of panicked because I didn't think it would happen that easily. However, I miscarried at 6 weeks, and she was wonderful to talk me through things and my options.
I had been doing Clomid for almost a year at the recommendation of my OBGYN when I met with Dr. Johnstone. I had an HSG test done before going to see her and my husband had a semen analysis, he had started Clomid about three months before we saw her. She recommended switching to Femara, and then doing an IUI. I got pregnant the first try, and then later miscarried. I then went in later and they found I had some cysts that I needed to get rid of before we did another IUI, so I went on low dose birth control and then two months later was ready to do another IUI, we stayed with Femara 5mg for days 3-7, no triggers shot or anything different for the next four. Two of those, my husband's motility and count were quite low. So that is why we did two more. I then was frustrated and went to see another Dr. and decided to take a break from IUI for a few months before going back in. I am now scheduled to go back in at the end of March to possibly move to IUI with Gonal F and Ovidrel.
They have been great, I only had one problem with a nurse that had the wrong patient information as she met with me.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were difficult to get into, but I think that's because of only one of their Drs. is covered under Select Health so it took some time before I could get in to see her. You won't have the same person do your IUIs, it's just whoever is there that day. I didn't mind that though, but I hadn't been anywhere else either. I do like the fact that I can communicate with them and usually get a response within one day. The Nurse Practitioner Sarah has been amazing, and she helped me after the miscarriage and understanding my feelings, etc.
My IUIs were either $360 or $370 each, depending on if it happened on a weekend.

2015 - 2019
When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician. ... He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. ... When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor.
I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings [University of Utah]) ... Heidi [nurse] is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue. ... Letrozole instead of clomid (I have pcos and clomid will likely create more cysts than good follicles) Hcg trigger shot to have more control over when I ovulate to plan IUI accordingly. Then progesterone starting the day after IUI to thicken lining and promote implantation and prevent miscarriage.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He’s incredibly intelligent and very well educated in his field. His been the chief of OBGYN services and definitely knows his stuff. I feel nothing but confidence in him. When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician.
Sometimes you have to wait. But I promise if you’re patient, it’s worth it. One time he felt so bad about our wait that he offered to take my husband’s stitches out so we didn’t have to drive 20 minutes to go get it done. Anyway, my advice? Wait. And if you can get an earlier appointment, you’ll wait less hahaha but again it’s worth it because he takes his time with you!
He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor. We’re just not as lucky this time. Still hopeful and still using him as our physician.
Heidi is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is almost always open which is helpful! I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings)
140 for my monthly trigger shot and 360 for each IUI. Plus 30 for my compounded progesterone (monthly)
Not there yet. Meeting with him next month to discuss our next step since the last 3 IUI’s didn’t work.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!... He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
The billing department [at Univ of UT] has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed... The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750... [the nurses are] All very nice and organized. They are considerate to our travel concerns and work with us!
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The only weakness we have is that he is 400 miles away from us. He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
Come with questions! He’s an open book!
He spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!
I had had a child previously and so we were seeing him for MFI. We had met with his partner, Dr. Hotaling who helped us get my husbands sperm via biopsy and now IVF is our only option with frozen sperm. We then did a “normal” cycle with gonal f, cetrotide and menopur. All was the lowest dose and we ended up with three embryos. We implanted one and it never took. We then did a frozen cycle with our last two embryos and one took and one did not. The one grew until 6 weeks 9 days and we miscarried at 8 weeks 4 days. We have just retrieved again and have 5 frozen embryos! We are so excited for April to come our way so we can implant two more embryos! ❤️
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The billing department has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed
The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750
Our first cycle we did one embryo and then we did two the second time, and we got pregnant with the second cycle with one.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Berga is extremely kind and I would trust my life with her. She always made sure that my husband and I understood each step along the way, and assured we were comfortable, not just with the process, but the outcomes, both good and not so good. I would go to her time and time again.... Dr. Berga is really amazing at what she does, and I say this because she is extremely knowledgeable, but also makes a point to sit down and get to know you. Since she takes the time to do this, she talks to you like she would a good friend whom she cares about. From the moment my husband and I met her, we knew we were in the best of hands.
The clinic [Univ of UT-SLC] is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.... The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.... We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000
How was your experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Make sure to ask questions! Dr. Berga is more than willing to take the time necessary to assure you know everything you want to know.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Sarah Berga used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I am currently in the beginning stages. We have started birth control. We are planning on doing an agonist protocol.
The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Berga at University of Utah.
We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000.
Describe Sarah Berga's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Dr. Berga prefers to do an elective single embryo transfer. She prefers this for several reasons. I am 28 years old, and my eggs are very healthy. Due to my age , Dr. Berga explained that I will have a high success rate. She also explained that with multiple embryo transfer, we are lowering the success rate for our overall transfers (if we do more than one). I also have a smaller frame, and to become pregnant with twins, while a blessing, would be very demanding on my body, and we are looking to prevent that.
Sarah Berga
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Link is brilliant. She is so smart. She really takes the time to explain what is happening / what may happen. I saw her before my IUIS, after we failed them and now as we wait to start ivf. I feel like she is being as aggressive with my treatment as I allow. She takes the time to hear my concerns as well as take my input. She’s a breath of fresh air. I know she is doing her best to get me the results we want ( get pregnant and carry to term) .
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic [University of Utah- SLC] offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell... Sara was the NP I saw after all my ultrasounds. She always took time with me to make sure I understood the outlines plan . She was always on top of things and always was quick to get back to me with answers to questions.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. She will explain them!
Dr. Link is so kind. She spent serious time with my husband and I. She made sure all my questions were answered. During difficult procedures she made sure there were properly trained staff available to help me through discomfort. She has a calm demeanor. She also gave me contact information for all the people who I might need to be in touch with for the next step. She’s prompt about responding to my emails. I feel like I’m a priority with her care.
We started with letrozole. Maybe 5 mg on days 3-7. I responded for a while and then didn’t. So we increased it to 7.5 and stayed steady there. I always ovulated . Then again I stopped. At this point we were just doing TIC. I’d go in for an ultrasound on day day 11-13. After a few more months I stopped ovulating even with the 7.5 mg letrozole and the metformin. We added clomid to the mix and lowered my letrozole. My side effects ( hot flashes) were so bad I asked to be taken off. We finally are up to 10 mg letrozole and 1000mg metformin. I triggered for 1 of our TIC and for al 4 of our IUIs with ovidrel. Always 36 hours before procedure. I added progesterone only to my last IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This place is great. It’s just about finding the Doc that best meets your needs. Once that was set I was golden . It’s ok to shop around or transfer care. I did. I’m so happy I found a doc that fit my needs
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell
My docs prefer to do eset. They believe it’s safer and that the outcome is more viable than multiple transfers

Endometriosis, Other
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person [at University of Utah- SLC] and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.... My first visit with Dr. Stanford was scheduled half with my husband and half with me. It was around $600 for the whole consultation. My last visit was a follow up since the birth of my daughter and was $200. I've emailed him on the portal so many times since though and he's managed a lot of my care and pregnancy prescribing progesterone that I didn't have to pay for.
Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is an expert in dealing with infertility in a way that works cooperatively with your body through the use of NaPro technology, which is a restorative medicine approach to working with infertility and other issues. This respects woman's bodies and helps treat the underlying issues. It's beautiful and it works! He is so kind and really cares about you as a patient and works to help meet you where you are to accomplish your goals. Highly recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Be open to working with other treatments that you might not be familiar with. It's not IVF but works to treat the underlying issues of what is causing your infertility. It's so worth it! So be patient!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford was interested in me, who I was, what I was doing and my overall health and wellbeing. He took time in his visits and never seemed rushed. He explained things well and was open to my inquiries about other options.
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I took progesterone in the second half of my cycle due to a luteal phase defect. I was on low dose naltrexalone (which I forget exactly the reason but something about it being an anti-inflammatory for endometriosis?)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Joseph Stanford] looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model... is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
The nurses [at University of Utah] show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs...The clinic is clean, the staff is friendly and they provide you drinks while you wait. The mychart is easy to use and their is minimal paper work. I would strongly recommend this clinic. They have an inviting environment and the wait times are short. They communicate with you if they are running behind and worked with me when I was running late. They will make sure to reach your doctor if needed.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is empathetic and he takes his time to answer all your questions and concerns. He treats his patients as individuals and you can tell he cares for you. He gets back to quickly in my chart and calls to check on you. He is thorough in his diagnosis and treatments and he includes the patient and their partners.
This is the most thorough doctor you will ever find and his turn around time and follow up is most impressive. You will not regret doing fertility with Dr. Sanford.
Dr. Standford is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
He looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model.
The nurses show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs.
$200

2016 - 2019
You need to learn early how to work the system to be able to communicate with him [Dr. Matthew Peterson], which is through his nurse. His focus is on getting you pregnant, not figuring out why you are not...He wanted to keep trying IUIs because I was able to have my son with IUI #1 and could technically get pregnant with IUI #2...I didn’t feel like he addressed my specific issues. There wasn’t much testing done to diagnose anything. He did sit down make sure to answer all questions, if you actually got him in person. He is also a very conservative Dr. and didn’t want to too many eggs for IUI.
I dealt with a lot of different nurses [at University of Utah] and it was especially confusing when I would email one person and hear back from three different people/nurses...I had a nurse tell me to specifically go in to a lab for an important blood draw and it ended up being closed causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety. Nobody ever acknowledged or apologized...Out of pocket IUIs $370...It seems so busy and hectic that you really can’t ever talk to the same person. I like the online mychart system for accessing test results and messaging. I also had one nurse give me incorrect hours of operation for one of the clinics locations and I went in for an important blood draw on a Sunday and was turned away after being told to specifically go in then. Nobody ever apologized or acknowledged the error. (Q121) which of the following did your treatment with the  include?
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
You need to learn early how to work the system to be able to communicate with him, which is through his nurse. His focus is on getting you pregnant, not figuring out why you are not.
I felt more like a number when I hardly ever got to see my RE in person even when they would say the appointment was with him. I also could never communicate with him directly and it was really frustrating.
On my first IUI I was successful with 2.5 mg letrozole ( 2 eggs)On IUI number two I miscarried after 2.5 mg letrozole ( 2 eggs). Trigger shot ( Ovidrel) was used in both of these about 34-36 hours prior to IUI. Then I had a D&C.I was unsuccessful on IUI’s 3-4 ( 2.5 mg letrozole/trigger), had an SIS done. Dr. P changed my protocol after #4 to add gonal F injections along with letrozole 2.5. I was unsuccessful with IUI #5 with the new protocol and am currently miscarrying after IUI #6 with same protocol. He wanted to keep trying IUIs because I was able to have my son with IUI #1 and could technically get pregnant with IUI #2.
I dealt with a lot of different nurses and it was especially confusing when I would email one person and hear back from three different people/nurses.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Out of pocket IUIs $370 each Letrozole and Ovidrel trigger shots ( $150+) gonal f=75/ shot, ultrasounds $200 after insurance, SIS $ ??
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I already explained but I had a nurse tell me to specifically go in to a lab for an important blood draw and it ended up being closed causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety. Nobody ever acknowledged or apologized.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Dr Link was always professional and took the time to sit down with me and explain everything that came up. I have spent 3 years under her treatment with multiple failed cycles of iui and timed intercourse. Throughout all the procedures and unexpected outcomes, Dr Link was always there to talk me through the next steps and to remain optimistic. Dr Link wasn't able to do the iui procedures due to timing of my cycles but she always sent me the follow up results.
Everyone I met [at Univ of UT] was extremely friendly. They all knew my husband and I by name and remembered the small conversations we would have with them. They would ask about what ever work story we told them or if our dog was doing better. They knew us personally and we all became office friends. Sara is absolutely amazing. She's shed tears and frustration with my husband and I on multiple occasions. She is simply the best health care provider I have ever worked with!
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
It takes awhile for a new patient appointment but it's worth the wait. Dr .Link will take great care of you.
Dr Megan Link and her APRN Sara Tollstrup have overseen my fertility treatment for years. They have always been upfront with what to expect during each stage of the process. I have shared many hugs and tears with them both. They were always interested in my personal life, my emotional state, my career and schooling. They know me as a person, more so than some of my friends. They always have open arms when things didnt go the way we were expecting. During this time of taking a break, I find that I miss talking with them and the connection we all have.
Dr. Link began with me having the transvaginal ultrasound and the fallopian tube test. Both came back normal. We continued with Clomid with no luck and then added lettazole. I began growing eggs slowly and after several rounds and dose increases we were able to try our first IUI. Everyone was very optimistic however it didn't work. We restarted more oral meds but with the continued use of clomid at high doses my lining never got thick enough. We then had a long discussion and decided to try the gonal f injection. Labs were checked every few days as well as having multiple vaginal ultrasounds. We had one round that produced the right conditions and we again tried IUI. That too, failed. Dr Link then sat down with me and explained my options. We decided to hold off on any more cycles and focus on preparing for IVF. This is where we are currently.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup )
Everyone I met was extremely friendly. They all knew my husband and I by name and remembered the small conversations we would have with them. They would ask about what ever work story we told them or if our dog was doing better. They knew us personally and we all became office friends. Sara is absolutely amazing. She's shed tears and frustration with my husband and I on multiple occasions. She is simply the best health care provider I have ever worked with!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are wonderful getting you an appointment when needed but it did take several months to be seen initially. Communication between all members of the team was fantastic. Nothing ever got missed or overlooked. If there were questions that one person couldn't answer I never had to wait more than a few hours, even on weekends, to get an answer.
So far the cost has been about 20,000 which includes all labs, ultrsounds, medications, septum takedown, sonograms, diagnostic procedures
We discussed this briefly but haven't really gotten to the point of having a in depth conversation. She did mention possibly doing 2 but she was a little hesitant about doing so.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We had to push him [Dr. Matthew Peterson] to do some additional testing on my husband (after the second failed round), which ultimately revealed a potential cause. We wished we had done that testing earlier, as it might have changed the course of our treatment and/or our outcome...My first protocol was fairly standard: gonal-f, menopur, and hCG for trigger. My second protocol was more aggressive: higher doses of the above, a slew of supplements, and human growth hormone...is warm but direct; kind but straightforward. We first spoke on a phone call to his personal cell phone after dinner in the evening, so he is very willing to work with your schedule and accommodate. He always explained everything clearly and slowly to make sure that we understood each step of the process.
The clinic [University of Utah] is very well organized and very responsive. Payment, booking appointments, and logistics were very easy. All the nursing staff is very compassionate--one even held my hand during a particularly painful procedure. You really feel that they hope for success along with you!...IVF round was about $9,000, I believe, with drugs an additional $5-$7k. IUIs were $600 each...[nurse] was very speedy with prescriptions and happy to answer every question. She is experienced and knowledgeable.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
We did not have a positive outcome, which I'm sure colors my perspective. Unfortunately, all of our embryos died before an IVF transfer, which was devastating. We were not prepared at all for that possibility. Dr. Peterson was very compassionate and kind. However, he immediately encouraged us to do another round with more aggressive treatments and hormonal protocol. Even that more aggressive round resulted in the same outcome: no transfer, and a group of arrested embryos. I wish that Dr. Peterson had taken some time with us to regroup and really understand why the embryos died in the first place. We had to push him to do some additional testing on my husband (after the second failed round), which ultimately revealed a potential cause. We wished we had done that testing earlier, as it might have changed the course of our treatment and/or our outcome.
Do not feel pressured into IVF. Fertility clinics treat it like it is the answer for all couples (because it has a higher success rate than other non-third-party treatments overall), but it may or may not be the right choice for every circumstance. Go slow, ask questions, do your research.
Dr. Peterson is warm but direct; kind but straightforward. We first spoke on a phone call to his personal cell phone after dinner in the evening, so he is very willing to work with your schedule and accommodate. He always explained everything clearly and slowly to make sure that we understood each step of the process.
Lee Cherie was very speedy with prescriptions and happy to answer every question. She is experienced and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is very well organized and very responsive. Payment, booking appointments, and logistics were very easy. All the nursing staff is very compassionate--one even held my hand during a particularly painful procedure. You really feel that they hope for success along with you!
Dr. Peterson has a strong bias toward single embryos transfer, assuming it's a healthy, viable embryo.

1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
She [Dr. Johnstone] is fair, blunt, and informative. She can come across as slightly scripted sometimes, which rubs some the wrong way, but she diverts from the script as needed. I have requested some unique accommodations, and she has done everything she can in that respect without making me feel stupid. I've never felt rushed or like I'm asking stupid questions. She is brilliant, which is a little intimidating. I do wish she'd try to get to know me as a person a little bit more.
Our clinic [U of Utah] doesn't have a lot of visual bells and whistles, which I appreciate. It doesn't seem like I'm paying for fancy furniture and decorations. The online portal used by the university is awesome. It makes communication easy and fast. My only complaint is that despite the sign saying not to bring children, there are almost always children there. I understand it's a sensitive thing, but it bugs me.
1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is fair, blunt, and informative. She can come across as slightly scripted sometimes, which rubs some the wrong way, but she diverts from the script as needed. I have requested some unique accommodations, and she has done everything she can in that respect without making me feel stupid. I've never felt rushed or like I'm asking stupid questions. She is brilliant, which is a little intimidating. I do wish she'd try to get to know me as a person a little bit more.
Come armed with questions, knowing she will answer them but might not think to initiate that train of thought.
She is almost frustratingly objective, which could make you feel like a number. However, she reaches out when it's not required, spends as much time as you want with her, and engages in small talk about personal lives at times.
For our one IUI, I took femara for a few days and tested for ovulation at home. When positive, I scheduled the procedure for the next day and had a nurse do the IUI. For the egg retrieval, I took 112.5 IU gonal-F and one vial of menopur each day for 10 days. The dosages were conservative because my amh is 7.4 and there were concerns about OHSS. I started cetrotide on day 6 and took it for five days. I triggered with a hybrid lupron and hcg. Egg retrieval resulted in 20 eggs. Of those, 15 were mature and 14 fertilized through ICSI. Four made it to freeze on day 6. I did not receive good a good explanation about the extreme dropoff or slowness to reach blast. Three were rated good/fair and one poor. Our doctor did not recommend testing on the embryos, primarily because of the cost (about $4,000). FET #1 started with birth control pills. After two weeks, I added 10 IU lupron. I stopped BCP a week later and decreased lupron to 5 IU after 10 days. Also on that day, I added 1 mg estrace twice a day. A week later, I increased estrace to 2 mg, three times a day. On week four of lupron, we did a lining check ultrasound. It was over 10 mm and trilaminar. Two days later, I stopped lupron, decreased retrace back to 1 mg 2x daily and started 100 ml of progesterone in oil. Five days later, we transferred one embryo. It did not thaw well and was rated poor at the time of transfer. I was given one lupron dose day of transfer. I stayed on the same estrace and PIO protocol for 10 days, until we had a negative beta. FET #2 had the exact same protocol with drugs and the same problem with the thaw. Our doctor still recommended transferring it and said she sees a lot of babies come from poorly rated embryos. She said she doesn't put as much stock into ratings as other doctors and added that the rating at the time of freeze is more critical than at the time of transfer. I'm now 8 days past transfer and testing negative at home. Our doctor did recommend transferring our two remaining embryos at the same time in our next attempt. She'll probably also provide the option of an endometrial scratch but didn't sound super confident about the research around it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise F)
We like Denise. She is informal and kind. She is a little frantic and seems to always appear over-caffeinated, but it doesnt affect her performance. She has always gotten back to me very fast and gives good information.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Our clinic doesn't have a lot of visual bells and whistles, which I appreciate. It doesn't seem like I'm paying for fancy furniture and decorations. The online portal used by the university is awesome. It makes communication easy and fast. My only complaint is that despite the sign saying not to bring children, there are almost always children there. I understand it's a sensitive thing, but it bugs me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Utah.
It was efficient and fast. I always got in fast and was never kept waiting in the room. I wish the time window was longer. (It was 7-9 a.m. and I live 90 minutes away.)
IUI was $500. IVF egg retrieval freeze-all was $9750 with ICSI Meds for egg retrieval were about $4000 FET is $2720 Meds for FET were $400
She seems to operate by what the research says is best for my age.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Peterson is very nice and friendly, but he doesn't seem to know my case very well, except what he reads off my chart. He's missed some important things in there. Once I saw him in the waiting room in the clinic, and it was clear he didn't recognize me at all. His staff is great though and knows me...is really smart, and I trust him to know the appropriate treatment for me. He is always very patient in answering my many questions, and always presents the information in a way I can understand. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things, but also presents I options in a hopeful manner.
Every nurse at this clinic [University of Utah] is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful...They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is really smart, and I trust him to know the appropriate treatment for me. He is always very patient in answering my many questions, and always presents the information in a way I can understand. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things, but also presents I options in a hopeful manner. His drawbacks include working on a kind of macro level- he doesn't seem interested in helping me optimize my health to increase chances of conception...he told me once that rates don't change much by chasing down every little problem. He hasn't done any labs on me since my first consultation (with another Dr. 2 years prior to my visit with him). I also feel that I he has somewhat neglected my husband throughout this process, despite pretty serious MFI. We lost a few months due to not knowing what was going on.
Advocate for yourself. Make sure he's looking at all the results, and doing the tests you need.
I started on metformin 1500mg for 3 months, while my husband started on clomid 50mg for 3 months. Did an SIS to endure everything was good anatomically. Then I started letrozole 5 mg, which I didn't respond to. Used Provera to induce a period, then did 7.5 mg letrozole. Didn't respond. That same day, started 50 mg clomid plus 7.5 letrozole. No response by day 13. Started 5 mg letrozole and 100 mg clomid. No response. Told then I could move to injectibles, or lose weight. Chose to lose weight. After 4 months, I responded to 5 mg letrozole. Tried 3 natural cycles with the letrozole. Then moved to IUI. First was 5 mg letrozole and trigger with ovidrel. No success. Next three IUIs were 7.5 mg letrozole (to try and ovulate earlier than day 19) and ovidrel trigger. CP on second IUI, and then 2 failures. After 4th fail, recommended to do IVF with ICSI.
Every nurse at this clinic is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time. I can always get an appointment when I need one, although it does take awhile to get an appointment with my actual Dr. My one big criticism of the clinic is that they do not enforce their "no children in the clinic" rule and that is very frustrating and painful.
I believe the initial consultation was around $200. Each ultrasound was around $350. IUIs are $370 total. My copay for each Dr. Visit was $25. I pay about $20 for a 3 month supply of letrozole, $10 for metformin, and $18 per syringe of ovidrel.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
On my first consultation with Dr. Peterson, I asked him if we had any chance of getting pregnant, once I started ovulating. He looked at my husband's SA results (from 2 years earlier) and said it would be difficult, but possible. He must have only looked at one (and the oldest) result out of the 4 SAs, because at my SIS procedure the next month, he told us that with my husband's numbers, IVF was our only choice. He started him on clomid to try and increase his count, but it was very frustrating to have lost 2 months (which meant a 5 month delay given the time it takes to make new sperm.)
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Peterson is not only a great doctor and highly professional and qualified in his line of work but also a great human being. He has so much compassion and understanding for every patient. He keeps you feeling motivated and hopeful even when things go unexpected!... We started with Femara(7.5) and timed intercourse after being diagnosed with PCOS. We then moved onto a high dose and eventually added in 75u of Gonal F until a follicle developed large enough for ovulation. I then triggered and we either did timed intercourse or IUI. We have been doing this for al cycles. The Femara gets my follicles to produce a dominate one and the gonal f for a few days finishes maturing it.
I love the U of Utah clinic. I have always been able to schedule and appointments with ease. I’m never waiting too long and they are great and communication and the process. The clinic is very clean and I love all the staff. I have always received prompt communication from my nurse and doctors. They have also worked with scheduling my locations for my ultrasounds to work around my schedule.
European, Other
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even after the appointment.
Dr. Peterson was so personal and really made me feel like he was on my team cheering me on every step of the way! He knew my nursing back ground and kept that in consideration while explaining everything to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Tollstrup)
Sarah is amazing. She is so personable and easy to get a hold of. She answers all my questions promptly and really cares about the outcome of each cycle!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
We spent about $5000 per pregnancy. Our cost is about $500-$1200 a cycle.

PCOS, Other
I honestly loved Dr. Petersen and my experience with him. He has good bedside manner but also is direct about the risks you face and the steps that need to be taken. I always felt like i could trust him and the treatment plan he recommended. My only complaint would be that i saw him for the first few months and now i don't really see him at all. I see mostly the nurses or clinic staff but i understand thats is probably common with this field of work.
For the most part, the nursing staff [at Univ of Utah-SLC] has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Just to trust him and try to have faith in the process. Also, to make sure to ask as many questions as you want! Sometimes the treatment plan can be lengthy and detailed and i always felt a little overwhelmed. Demand the time you need to ask questions and go over everything slowly.
Doctor Petersen is very sweet. He seems almost like a father figure who is trying to help you get through this difficult time. He seems to genuinely care about you and your situation.
The first few cycles i went on letrozole (an alternative to Clomid) , triggered ovulation with ovidrell and did timed intercourse. That was not successful so we wanted to attempt IUI. However, due to my particular anomaly, i cannot have twins. Therefore, if there were multiple follicles present, the risk for twins being higher, we were recommended to cancel that cycle (which we did). We reduced my letrozol dosage to try to get just one follicle and have been able to complete IUI Since (1 failed attempt) Im currently in the waiting period of my 2nd attempt. If not successful, we will attempt IUI one more time before possibly discussing Invitro
For the most part, the nursing staff has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I think they are overall wonderful. Communicating through the Mychart is so easy and they respond very quickly. My only complaint would be that you never know who you are seeing or speaking to, so i always felt the need to remind them of my uterine anomaly bc i wasn't sure if they were aware of it or had read the file. They are all friendly and courteous. They try to be sensitive and relay good or bad news in a delicate manner.
i have insurance that is copay of $80 per visit due to seeing a specialist. The medications were usually around $150 per cycle and IUI was around $400 each cycle
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I was not given the information i needed pre IUI until we arrived at the clinic to start. Luckily our abstinence days did not cause us to cancel the cycle, but i was pretty upset that no one had told me prior to the time of sample that we should have been abstaining from sex or having sex x amount of days.

2010 - 2018
Endometriosis, Unexplained
My endometriosis was first treated [by Dr. Erica Johnstone] to help reduce inflammation and to reduce the toxic environment that was created as a result. First a laparoscopy was performed to remove extensive endometriomas that had formed. Then I was provided with 3 months of depot lupron injections to reduce the size of the other endometriomas that could not be removed. We then moved on an IVF cycle using a moderate level of dosing of injectables for this procedure. I did respond well and 9 eggs were retrieved and all fertilized. 2 embryos were implanted, though none others survived to freezing. This resulted in the live birth of a singleton. The dosing for medication was based on my age and AMH testing.
UCRM is up to date on new techniques and research being done. The doctors and staff are all very knowledgable and available to answer questions whenever needed. They are also quick to respond to emails and phone calls. The only draw back is that you will not see your assigned doctor for every visits or procedure, but I have not had a negative experience with any of the other staff.
2010 - 2018
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica is great at providing all the information and being forthcoming with both the good news and that bad, but does so in a way that is kind and gentle. She remains up to date on the recent breakthroughs and studies going on and in turn provides that information to her patients. Working with Erica always feels like you're working with a team and you are included in the decisions in your health care.
Do not be afraid to ask her questions or have her clarify information. She is not someone that will ever feel like less of a person because you do not fully understand what is going on.
Erica would at every appointment check in with us to see where we were at emotionally with everything that was going on. Her concern was not only our physical health, but also our emotional health and the health of our relationship.
My endometriosis was first treated to help reduce inflammation and to reduce the toxic environment that was created as a result. First a laparoscopy was performed to remove extensive endometriomas that had formed. Then I was provided with 3 months of depot lupron injections to reduce the size of the other endometriomas that could not be removed. We then moved on an IVF cycle using a moderate level of dosing of injectables for this procedure. I did respond well and 9 eggs were retrieved and all fertilized. 2 embryos were implanted, though none others survived to freezing. This resulted in the live birth of a singleton. The dosing for medication was based on my age and AMH testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
The nursing staff at UCRM is great. They are all knowledge and kind. They are available to answer any questions and assist with any needs.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
There is often little wait for these appointments and things are moved through efficiently and effectively. Monitoring or ultrasound appointments are scheduled during certain parts of the day, but they usually have a few times available to try and accommodate your schedule.
The IVF cycle had a flat fee of $8900, which included things like assisted hatching, egg retrieval, ultrasounds, etc. Medications were obtained through a separate pharmacy, but because we were able to meet with Dr. Johnstone in a hospital setting, we did receive a small reduction in cost. Medications cost about $3500. We have also completed IUIs with Dr. Johnstone and these cost a flat rate of $360.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Link actually showed concern for me individually and intently listened to my own concerns and questions. She was very thorough in my care plan and up front with what to expect with a balanced translocation and sending embryos for testing.... She was very thorough with descriptions and knowledgable in mine and my partner's specific case. She was pleasant to talk to and showed great compassion when going over our pregnancy history.
The clinic itself [University of Utah] is on the smaller side but they have it set up in an organized manner and uses every bit of space they have very efficiently. As for weaknesses, I don't really have any complaints. All of the personel that I dealt with were amazing, compassionate given the nature of the office, and knowledgable. You can see that they are all very dedicated to their jobs.... Lisa was very organized and quick to call you back if you had any questions. She was thorough with your care plan and made sure you understood everything before sending you off.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
We had a few sets backs getting the whole process started but each time, Dr. Link made sure to do follow ups and adjusted the cycle as needed. She was very thorough with descriptions and knowledgable in mine and my partner's specific case. She was pleasant to talk to and showed great compassion when going over our pregnancy history.
Go in there with your questions written down on a piece of paper and be ready to receive a ton of information but don't worry, she will always go back over it or give it to you again if you don't remember it. She also gives plenty of examples to show what to kind of expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Henderson)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic itself is on the smaller side but they have it set up in an organized manner and uses every bit of space they have very efficiently. As for weaknesses, I don't really have any complaints. All of the personel that I dealt with were amazing, compassionate given the nature of the office, and knowledgable. You can see that they are all very dedicated to their jobs.
I completely agree with the single embryo transfer approach that Dr. Link takes. As someone who has high risk pregnancies, it is less riskier for something to go wrong.

2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Doctor Johnstone always responded promply to emails. She responded within 24 hours as advertised, but usually lots sooner. I had some bleeding early on with my first pregnancy Dr. Johnstone adjusted her schedule and got me in that morning and checked me out personally. Dr. Johnstone is a wonderful doctor and has spoiled me for other doctors. I have gone to other doctors expecting the same care and it just doesn't happen. There are few doctors as good as doctor Johnstone. I always felt like she really cared.
This clinic [Univ of Utah] is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Go in prepared to ask questions. Doctor Johnstone will take the time to answer your questions. If you just feel clueless that is ok too. Doctor Johnstone explains things very clearly and does all that she can to make sure you understand your options and what is going on.
Dr. Johnstone was always kind, but honest about what to expect with each procedure. When results came back negative she was always the one to call me not a random nurse. I always felt like she had my best interest in mind and did all she could within her power to help us.
We started out trying IUI with clomid. My AMH levels were good so we tried this first. I responded well to clomid so we tried IUI's 3 times all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We went on vacation and just did a clomid round that month with was also negative. The next two months we did IUI's with clomid and a couple of days of injectable medication follow by a trigger shots. Both months ended with negative pregnancy tests. A few months later I started IVF with a lupron down regulating prior to start IVF fertility meds. Also my AMH levels came back poor which resulted in me using high levels of fertility meds. When I went to my lining check most of my folicals had disappeared depite the high levels of fertility meds. That cycle was canceled and I just went in for another IUI. That cycle resulted in another negative pregnancy test. We did another IVF round this time Dr. Johns didn't have me use lupron. The cycle was much more natural, but I still used very high levels of fertility meds. They were able to retrieve 11 eggs, 10 of which fertilized, but only one made it to be a day 5 embryo. The one embryo was transferred, but still resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Following this we looked into adoption and also embryo donation. We went to another state and tried two rounds of donor embryos under another doctors care. Dr. Johnstone helped us out with all of the testing and lining checks before each frozen embryo transfer with the other doctors in another state. Doctor Johnstone was still very supportive while we worked with another doctor. One donor embryo cycle was negative and the next one ended up being a chemical pregnancy. Following that we returned to Doctor Johnstone to do IVF with donor eggs. We qualified for a guarantee program and decided to participate in it. Our first donor cycle ended before the transfer date. None of the embryos made it. We chose a second donor who backed out a few days before we started medication. We made it to our transfer date with our third donor. We had 6 five day embryos on the transfer date. We decided to transfer 2 embryos which resulted in our twins. We were able to freeze the other 4 embryos. Recently we we t back for a frozen embryo cycle which resulted in positive pregnancy tests. Right now I am taking meds and waiting for my viability scan when I reach 7 weeks pregnant. We are excited and hoping for the best. We are so greatful for all of doctor Johnstones help and support though out this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Moore)
Danielle Moore and Jennifer Baxter were wonderful to work with. I got regular emails and reminders from them which helped a lot.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
IUI $1,400 IVF about $9,000 IVF meds $1,500 - $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $2,720 IVF with egg donor about $20,000
Our doctor encouraged us to only transfer one embryo when we used donor eggs. We got a little anxious once we had to choose a third egg donor and chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of the recommended 1. It was a very difficult pregnancy and doctor Johnstone was right to suggest only transferring one embryo. However, they were supportive when we chose to transfer 2.

Unexplained, Other
The doctor [Dr. Erica Johnstone] will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be... first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like...They [nurses] are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day...Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus.
Latino, Native American
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone has been amazing. I was so frustrated when I first went to see her because it felt like we had been trying to get pregnant on our own forever. She met with us to create a plan and explained what to expect during our journey. She was very matter-of-fact, but also sensitive to how we were feeling about each step. Infertility is a scary journey, but I felt very comfortable in her care.
The doctor will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be.
Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly (I think))
They are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like. Overall a great place for infertility treatment. My only complaint is that there isn't a clinic closer to where I live. I have to drive 2 hours each way for an appointment.
My insurance was not accepted by the UofU, so we had to pay for surgery ($1,000), IUIs ($400 x 3), etc., out of pocket. Fertility treatments are usually not covered anyway, so this was not hugely different than if we went somewhere else.
Not applicable.

2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they [U of Utah] always call me back, and in a timely manner.... Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse!... She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart.
2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is very personable and makes me feel like the current round of IVF, whither it be the 3rd or 4th, matters. Like it's the biggest thing happening in my world- because it is. He is very professional and careful to explain every move he makes when doing vaginal ultrasounds, which I appreciate because lets face it... they are awful. My husband and I have never felt uncomfortable or iffy around him. I have never felt like I was left in the dark about my care plan. He always make sure I know and understand out next steps. What sincerely impressed me- After I had my daughter, about 6 months postpartum (our only live baby from IVF) I had some uncontrollable bleeding. I went to the ER and they ran tests and wanted me to have a D&C. Because we have moved to a different state and my infertility history, I was nervous about my care plan. I called my Infertility office, The U of U, to ask the nurses what they thought about having the D&C because of the scaring that can occur with it. Instead of hearing back from the nurses, Dr. Peterson, himself called me on the phone. He requested my full ER workup papers and test results. He looked over them and he told me how to handle it moving forward. That instance spoke volumes to the kind of doctor he is and the pride he takes in patient care and his work. I would definitely recommend him to the people closest to me without hesitation.
Always go in to see him with questions and be clear about your expectations for him.
Dr. Peterson is always warm and down to earth. He knows me and my whole history. Every time we meet with him, he comes prepared with all the information and helps my Husband and I make the best decision. He always takes the time to sit and listen to our concerns and answer all of our questions. He is very honest and does not sugar coat anything but is able to deliver the facts and information kindly. He is never condescending like a lot of very intelligent people can be. He makes both my husband and I feel like he cares about us and OUR situation.
At the time of our egg retrieval I was under the care of a different doctor at the University of Utah. I hyperstimulatied really bad and was unable to do a fresh transfer. My doctor took my case to the team and from there on all 5 or so doctors knew about my history and made decisions on my case together. When I began seeing Dr. Peterson he already knew about my history. He had done his "homework" on me so I didn't have to give him the rundown of my medical history of the last 15 years. I was so thankful for that. He did not change up protocol on my FET that he preformed, however, the one he did was the one that we got a live baby out of. I do feel like he watched me closer and I had more frequent appointments and ultrasounds with him because of my history of miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie Booth)
Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse! She has been my primary nurse the entire time I have been at The U. She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart. She is very organized, patient with scheduling all my different appointments, and compassionate. She is excellent at communicating and helping me stay organized with my IVF schedule. I love her!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they always call me back, and in a timely manner. So i guess it's not THAT bad of a weakness haha.
There are different plans you can choose from. I don't remember the cost of the egg retrieval. We paid a little more because we needed ICSI. An FET is right around $2700. They are very up front with their cost breakdown. In the 4.5 years we have been going there we have never had any shady billing situation come up. What has been quoted is exactly what we have paid. Prices have never been changed or raised.
Dr. Peterson presented us with the facts and percentage rates in regards to a single and double embryo transfers. He informed us of the complications and risks that can come with multiple embryo transfer. He never tried to sway us one way or another. He just gave us the facts and let us decide.

Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Stanford remembered us from appointment to appointment. He takes very good notes so that helps for not having to repeat our medical records every appointment. He recommended to follow the Mediterranean diet and not only focus on my fertility but in my health in general. He explained all treatments in detail and e-mail via MyChart web links for extra information and for me to do personal research.
MyChart system [U of Utah] is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.... I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford.
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford told us at our first appointments what could be the possible causes of our infertility and he did all tests in order to rule out one by one the causes. He tried different medications as new problems were showing up and went from low to high impact treatment and drug dose. I like to do things by the book and Dr. Stanford was a perfect match for me. He and his team are very communicative, would answer questions the following day and even call on weekends to follow up. He is compassion and sympathetic. When in need to schedule for a ultrasound on a Saturday or Sunday he would work around our own schedule.
Dr. Stanford treatments can take a bit too long so you need to ask about all the options to treat your diagnose and push for higher drug's dose or faster treatment but he will always try to get down to the root of the problem and try his best to solve it. I was with him for 2 years and I think I should have look for a second opinion after the first year or year and a half. He did not suggest my husband to take any supplements which I think it could have help us a tinny bit if he has done it. All the studies and life style changes were focus on me and now I wish he had done something to improve my husbands numbers.
Dr. Stanford had me charting my cycles from the beginning which was tedious at the beginning but now I appreciate having all the information down in the charts with ultrasounds dates and blood test results. It's also 100% helpful to detect ovulation since I have PCOS and not ovulation was a possibility. He first did a hormonal panel to see my hormone levels and had me do a blood draw on day 3 of the cycle plus "day 21". After charting for few cycles he was able to detect some issues and started looking for solutions. Every month that I didn't get pregnant we tried something different. Firsts 5 cycles my mucus was not good so he suggested some supplements to improve mucus quality. He closely monitored my cycles with ultrasounds and/or blood test to detect ovulation. I did ovulate by myself all cycles. He found ovary cyst and suspected endometriosis. On the 5th cycle (with him) I had one of the cyst ruptured and he recommended a laparoscopy that I had on the 7th cycle. The following 6 cycles were supposed to be optimal for getting pregnant but it didn't happen. The laparoscopy did help with my periods pain. For about 4 cycles I had almost no pain but then I started with cramps again. On the 8th cycle, he put me on 200mg progesterone on my luteal phase since my levels were low. But that did not help a lot so 2 cycles later he gave me 400mg. On my 12th cycle I started to have mid-cycle spotting. A hysterosonogram showed no uterus polyps that could cause the spotting so on cycle 15 he put my husband and I on antibiotics (2 weeks for him 4 for me) in case was an infection. That stop the spotting for one cycle so then he put me on low doze Naltrexone around cycle 17. But this still did not solve the spotting. He repeated the hysterosonogram on cycle 22 since my periods were more painful and the spotting persist but came back all good. Although I was ovulating on my own we tried to improve ovulation with Letrozol (7.5mg once a month) starting on cycle 15. On cycle 19 I suffer from hyper-stimulation so Dr. lowered the dose on cycle 21 and 22. On cycle 23 I decided it was the last cycle with Dr. Stanford before moving on to assisted. We did a high dose of Letrozole closely monitored (as were ALL cycles) but we did not achieve a pregnancy.
I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford. We would meet every few months to check my chart and follow the instructions of the Creighton Model that Dr. Stanford follows. The nurses at the U are very kind and always welcome us with a smile and would remember what we talked about our personal life on previous appointments. They were good at scheduling follow up appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
MyChart system is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.
Since the whole treatment was due to my PCOS and endometriosis and Dr. Stanford is in network, everything was cover by my health insurance except for the monthly follow up fee that was charged when he revised my chart that I would send by e-mail and not see him in person that month.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Hotaling] was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.... Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct.
The entire clinic [University of Utah] felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.... We have had a few mixups with medications, and labs being ordered. But the staff was kind and seemed knowledgable, just not all the way put together.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.
Just know that he's not going to be the most compassionate, but is known for being the best male-factor infertility doctors around.
He was in and out of the appointment quickly. Felt more like the answers to our questions should have been obvious, and he just wanted to move onto treatment and not discuss things as much.
Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct. I've continued taking it once my counts improved, as we continue treatments for my wife.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The entire clinic felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.
I don't really remember costs. They seemed to be as we anticipated for specialist visits. The medications prescribed have been reasonably priced.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
The biggest mistake I've experienced was with some lab work. Dr. Hotaling ordered a set of labs to check my levels after having been on clomid. When I went into this clinic to have them drawn, not all the labs were performed, and this wasn't noticed until a week or two after it was complete. I then had to take time off work again to get another blood draw because the one test was missed.
James Hotaling
+ Read more- Read less

Erica [Dr. Johnstone] was fantastic. she had this soft manner in her work and in her voice that made me always feel so calm and at ease. Infertility is a stressful time as it is and with her manner and her genuine care i felt like i was in the best hands.... even though you do not see erica every appointment know that she has the worlds best nurses and you are in great hands.
This clinic [University of Utah] is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment... I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life.
European, Other
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica was fantastic. she had this soft manner in her work and in her voice that made me always feel so calm and at ease. Infertility is a stressful time as it is and with her manner and her genuine care i felt like i was in the best hands.
I would say that even though you do not see erica every appointment know that she has the worlds best nurses and you are in great hands.
I felt that every time I came into the office they knew me, they remembered what we had been through. Also when we had bad news of a cancelled cycle they were very considerate and I felt like they cared by trying everything possible to not make that happen again. Also the communication between me and the nurses was incredible I never felt like I was doing all the work or the only one who cared.
first cycle was a plan for an IUI. she prescribed me provera to induce my period. After provera and on the 2nd day of my cycle i went in for an ultrasound and also to start Famera 3 pills a day for 5 days. After 5 days i went back for an ultra sound. At this ultrasound i had 3 non mature eggs so i was then prescribed Gonal F (37.5ml) for 3 days. After 3 days i went back in for an ultrasound and found that i had 1 egg that was mature at 22 mm and the rest fell behind and stopped growing. At this point i was to do the trigger shot that night and then 36 hours later i had an IUI with fresh sperm. After this i had progesterone for 14 days and after that i took a pregnancy test which was negative. Cycle 2 we did the exact same protocol, after day 3 of my Gonal F injections we saw on the ultrasound that i made 7 mature eggs resulting in a cancelled cycle and restrain from sex. Cycle 3- we decided to only try Famera this round, i took 3 pills a day for 5 days and then on day 10 i went in for an ultrasound showing that i had 3 eggs that were not mature yet, erica decided to let me coast. I went in three days later and found that 3 eggs were mature. We waited one extra day and then did the trigger shot and again 36 hours later did an IUI with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. After 14 days we got a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Sara)
I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life. They cared just as much as i did about me getting pregnant. The communication between us was so easy and i knew that if i ever had a question they would call me back within 15 minutes. They were amazing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment
my insurance has not covered much but we paid about 250 each doctor visit and with medication and IUI, Sperm sample, freezing, ultrasounds. We ended up paying about 3,000 each cycle and we have done 3
+ Read more- Read less

I think Dr. Peterson is a very good communicator. He doesn’t mix words which I like and gives you the facts straight. He has an excellent staff and isn’t willing to move onto the next step unless he feels that it is the optimal setting for you to get the best result. I am someone who wants to just go, go and he is there to remind me that we need to do what is best for me and for my potential baby. The only one criticism I can really give is that he is a very busy doctor. Since he is very popular, he has to balance many patients so it might just take a little extra time to get back to you (not during clinic time), but I’ve always felt it was worth the wait.
The nurse assigned to us [at Univ of Utah- SLC] is beyond incredible. She sweet, funny, compassionate, very knowledgeable, don’t feel bothered if you ask her a million questions or ask her to go over information again. She makes me feel at ease and like I’m talking to a friend rather than my nurse.... Strengths-excellent resources, great staff, good at running appointments on time, they are good at squeezing you in, phlebotomy lab right in the clinic, they are big on privacy. Negative-The greatest negative for us is that the clinic is far away. About an hour drive from us, but that don’t affect everyone.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Be willingly to be flexible on your treatment plan. As he really doesn’t want to rush anything for the sake of rushing-and wants the best outcome for you, plans might be changed and just be ready for that.
Dr. Peterson sees many patients, but he made me feel like I was his only patient with his care. He spent as much time as I needed to answer every question I had, even if I thought it was a silly question. I can tell he is emotionally invested in helping to grow my family and I always feel at ease with him even if the results aren’t always good.
The first protocol used was getting my vitamin regiment-using prenatals, pregnitude, and COQ10. Prenatals and pregnitude for embryo health and COQ10 for quality and strength. then preparing a plan for my retrieval. He prescribed gonal, menopur, saizen, cetrotide, and my trigger shot. They were for growth of my follicles and trigger for ovulation. The results were as expected. Nothing too unusual.
The nurse assigned to us is beyond incredible. She sweet, funny, compassionate, very knowledgeable, don’t feel bothered if you ask her a million questions or ask her to go over information again. She makes me feel at ease and like I’m talking to a friend rather than my nurse.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The IVF nurse line was awesome and they were super responsive. All the phlebotomists were friendly and well trained. ... Everyone [University of Utah] was very friendly and clearly worked as a team. I much prefer the clinic staff at the U to that at UFC, where Dr. Dorais is currently practicing. ... think there was a time or two they didn’t call with results when they said they would but it was never for a critical test and I was always able to reach them to get the info.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is so sweet. She always seemed happy to see us, never seemed to be in a bad mood and was always present with us. When we were talking about treatment options she realized that I was interested in the details so she gave them to me. She discussed recent studies and always explained the rationale behind her suggested treatment plan. When things didn’t work she adapted and she was willing to listen to and consider our opinion for our treatment plan. I feel like she is up to date with emerging research and willing to adjust to try new things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Just go to her!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is so kind and caring. She always takes the time to listen and consider our questions and opinions.
Describe the protocols Jessie Dorais used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I was unexpectedly a poor responder to the storms so she continued to slightly increase or modify my dosages through our IUI cycles (we had already done 3 rounds of clomid when we saw her so we started right away with that). She began us just on Femara and then added injectables. When we began IVF I still didn’t respond as well to the meds, so after my first cycle was canceled she adjusted and increased doses and added HGH. She also wanted to make sure everything was perfectly prepared going into IVF so she did a uterine septum surgery prior to it. My second IVF cycle was still a learning experience but I did get pregnant and have a son. Even though it resulted in pregnancy it was clear they it hadn’t worked as well as hoped (no embryos to freeze) so now that we are doing IVF she is trying a totally different approach (min-stim with ICSI and luteal estrace).
I didn’t get to know them super well but they were very friendly and responsive.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everyone was very friendly and clearly worked as a team. I much prefer the clinic staff at the U to that at UFC, where Dr. Dorais is currently practicing. The IVF nurse line was awesome and they were super responsive. All the phlebotomists were friendly and well trained. The other doctors who I saw here and there were also great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessie Dorais at University of Utah.
IUIs - $360 with meds/cycle I did a guarantee programs for IVF so my 2 cycles were about $15000. Meds for the first cycle were $4500 and second were $5500.
Describe Jessie Dorais's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We only had 1 embryo. She was going to let us transfer 2 although she definitely seemed to prefer the idea of a singleton pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I think there was a time or two they didn’t call with results when they said they would but it was never for a critical test and I was always able to reach them to get the info.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Erica Johnstone took the time to help me fully understand the risks of both IUI and IVF after successful removal and repair of removing the septum in my uterus. I was afraid to do IVF and she came in and sat down with me. She explained pros and cons of both procedures. Skee put my fear at ease by helping me understand both procedures. I decided to try IUI once more time #7. But, it didn't work. She kept in constant contact through mychart and by phone.
I requested to continue care with my nurse Sara Tollstrup [at University of Utah-SLC] . She is that good. She is fun to talk to. She shares personal experiences and makes her relatable to you. She's fun to talk to in person, over the phone and through my chart.... I struggled having to schedule procedures through their main scheduler at the U. I thought she was rude and took forever to get ahold of. I had to go through my nurse to finally get me procedures scheduled. But I love the facility, doctors and the nursing team.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She seems abrupt at first but she is really a kind and caring doctor. She is really brilliant and patient. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask any questions. She's more than willing to help you feel at ease and comfortable.
Dr. Erica Johnstone would come in ann's talk to me before, during and after procedures. She personally called to check on me after my sonohys procedure to remove scarring from a prior procedure. I wanted to try one more IUI after the septum in my uterus was removed and healed. Dr. Johnstone came in personally and explained the likelihood of pregnancy of with both IUI and IVF. IVF scares me a lot. We decided to try one more IUI. But, it didn't work.
I requested to continue care with my nurse Sara Tollstrup. She is that good. She is fun to talk to. She shares personal experiences and makes her relatable to you. She's fun to talk to in person, over the phone and through my chart.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I've had three different doctors through the U. Dr. Bernheisel, Dr. Petersen and then Dr. Johnstone. I struggled having to schedule procedures through their main scheduler at the U. I thought she was rude and took forever to get ahold of. I had to go through my nurse to finally get me procedures scheduled. But I love the facility, doctors and the nursing team.
+ Read more- Read less

[Univ of UT is] Very patient oriented and sensitive. They are very responsive to messages. We have always gotten back to see our provider in a timely manner. The only thing I got say as a weakness is that the waiting area is in much need of a renovation. But other than that, our patient experience had been positive.... Our nurses took time to explain everything in detail, review medications, and really held our hand through the whole process.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr. Link is so loving, dedicated, and optimistic. We were diagnosed with male factor infertility and diminished ovarian reserve. Our first IVF cycle was not successful. However, what we loved about her was that she let us know from the beginning that due to our situation, that would be the most likely option, that it would be unsuccessful. My husband and I wanted to proceed, regardless of our chances. Dr. Link proceeded with optimism and gave us our best possible shot. When that didn't work, she comforted us. She called me a few times in the following weeks, and she brought us into the clinic to go over more options to grow our family. She has never given up on us and works tirelessly to help us accomplish our dream.
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, she is willing to spend as much time as you need explaining things as you need.
Dr. Link's love is felt as she speaks to you. She genuinely cares about us and does all she can to help us one day bring home our baby. She has never given up hope on us no matter how tough the road gets. She has the perfect balance between being realistic and optimistic. She has taken time to personally call me and check in with me and let me know she was thinking of me. She has helped us learn of new treatments and is helping us with a different approach. We seriously love Dr. Link.
We proceeded with injections to prepare fpr egg retrieval. Gonal F, cetrotide, menopur. Our doctor also prescribed growth hormone injections since i had a diminished ovarian reserve.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
We were lucky to have our insurance cover a lot. The most expensive part for us was a tese a d microtese surgery that my husband needed. We spent $12,000 on those surgeries. We spent $4,000 on medications, and after what our insurance covered of the IVF cycle we paid $1,900.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
400 for IUI’s [at University of Utah]...They [nurses] were great and responded quickly...He [Dr. Peterson] was very kind and reliable. He told me exactly what was up... did everything he could to help us. He gave us options and he his Advice. I never felt like a number and felt like he really cared. I also felt like he really knew his stuff. He even told us where to get cheaper prescriptions. I felt like he was trying to help us any way he could by giving us all the info so we can make the best decisions...He put me on femora for IUI’s. He said there were less side effects he listed all the risks but I don’t really remember what they were any more. He gave me a detailed plan with trigger shots. We did four IUI’s. He also did another saline test because I was concerned about my Fallopian tubes. I had an HCG test a while back with a different doctor and they said one tube had pooling. Dr Peterson said my ultra sounds all looked good and that he could do the saline test just to be sure. The test suggested my tubes looked normal.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr Peterson did everything he could to help us. He gave us options and he his Advice. I never felt like a number and felt like he really cared. I also felt like he really knew his stuff. He even told us where to get cheaper prescriptions. I felt like he was trying to help us any way he could by giving us all the info so we can make the best decisions
To make sure you tell him everything you want and be clear and he will do all he can to help you.
He was very kind and reliable. He told me exactly what was up
They were great and responded quickly. They were great with out patient monitoring as well when we switched to CNY.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The only thing I didn’t like was how far away the clinic was from us. And once we switched to our patient monitoring my insurance didn’t cover anything! I don’t understand why suddenly switching that my insurance couldn’t cover the blood work or ultra sounds
400 for IUI’s. My insurance covered a lot of the medication and he gave us tips on where to buy them cheaper.
+ Read more- Read less
My experience with dr Johnstone was great. Although I did only see her a couple times, it did not bother me one but because she has the worlds best nurses. I felt as though dr Johnstone cared as much as I did about getting pregnant and her compassion and her soft manner helped me relax.... Our first cycle we did provera for 7 days to induce period, ultrasound on day 3 of my period. We then started letrozole (famera) for 5 days 3 pills a day.
Whenever I would go into the office [U of Utah] for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though.... I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara.... They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter.... Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
My experience with dr Johnstone was great. Although I did only see her a couple times, it did not bother me one but because she has the worlds best nurses. I felt as though dr Johnstone cared as much as I did about getting pregnant and her compassion and her soft manner helped me relax. Although we still have not gotten pregnant like we hoped I still feel as though I am getting the correct treatment and I trust my doctor and nurses completely.
Just knowing that you won’t see dr Johnstone as much as I though it really didn’t matter. She had amazing nurses who take care of you just as much as dr Johnstone would.
Going through infertility you are already so sensitive. It’s a hard topic, hard time emotionally and physically. Whenever I would go into the office for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though. I genuinely felt like dr Johnstone and her nurses cared about me as a person and not just a patient
I am currently living in the Philippines and we tried every way possible to get pregnant here including 3 iui’s. It didn’t work. So we have traveled back to Utah 3 times to do iui’s. Our first cycle we did provera for 7 days to induce period, ultrasound on day 3 of my period. We then started letrozole (famera) for 5 days 3 pills a day. Then on day 5 of letrozol I went in for another ultrasound. This scan showed I had 3 not mature eggs I think about 10mm so she decided to do gonal f for 3 days 37 units a day. I then went back after 3 days and saw that 1 egg had made it for 24mm. That night we did the trigger shot, waited 36 hours and did an iui with fresh sperm. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Our second iui in Utah was done the exact same way, same medicine same ultrasounds but when I got to my ultrasound 3 days after taking gonal f they say I had 6 mature eggs and dr Johnstone believed we should cancel that cycle. Our third iui she decided to just do letrozol. So I did 5 days of letrozol 3 pills a day and then come back in on day 10 for an ultrasound. This ultrasound showed that I had 3 follicles growing. We decided to just let coast and come back two days later. This ultrasound showed that 2 eggs were 20 mm and the third one was 15mm with the past showing I haven’t had any luck they decided to wait two days to do the trigger shot in hopes that all three eggs would be viable. I was also aware of all the risks. I then did the trigger shot and then 36 hours later we did an iui with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. This also resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara tolstep and heidi )
I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara. They were amazing. I have never had such care and compassion in any other doctor. They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter. I feel like I am better friends with my nurses then just there patient. They cared about me and my circumstance. They would randomly check on me. I can’t say enough good things about Heidi and Sara.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office and little things like babies and kids are so hard to see during hard times.
I have had great insurance but I have had to pay for almost all visits and medications. Each visit should be about $328 but with insurance comes out to be 180 or so. Then each shot was about $70 except trigger shot which was $120. In all with three iui’s I would think we have spent about $7-8,000

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Stanford paid attention to every concern I had. He answered every question clearly and with compassion. He outlined what was happening, what would happen, and alternative plans if things went different than expected.... We identified a luteal phase defect, poorly regulated cycles and not producing enough progesterone. I took progesterone in the luteal phase to prevent recurrent miscarriage. When I got pregnant again with the progesterone, I was able to carry my pregnancy instead of losing it early.
This clinic is very self sustaining within the University of Utah medical clinic, so much so that the switchboard was not always able to connect me to Dr. Stanford and they had trouble locating him in the system. It helps to have the direct line. Dr. Stanford is a specialty provider so he works with a unique methodology of care you would not be able to experience with any other provider at University of Utah and most other clinics.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Trust the doctor, he knows what he is doing!
Dr. Stanford was very personal and took every concern I had very seriously. He was easy to reach and his staff were very helpful as well.
I had hormonal testing for a monitored cycle to check for imbalances including follicular tracking. We identified a luteal phase defect, poorly regulated cycles and not producing enough progesterone. I took progesterone in the luteal phase to prevent recurrent miscarriage. When I got pregnant again with the progesterone, I was able to carry my pregnancy instead of losing it early.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The costs are minimal because they are associated with dealing with pre-existing reproductive health problems which are causing infertility. Since the treatment is focused on dealing with underlying health problems, my health insurance covered all my treatment.
Describe Joseph Stanford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
This doctor does not perform IVF. He focuses on how to naturally achieve pregnancy without invasive procedures.
+ Read more- Read less

They [Univ of Utah- SLC] work hard at getting you in quickly. Don't be afraid to ask for earlier appointments. They were flexible and I really appreciated that. They may try to push research studies, it's ok to say no.... I had a biopsy and waited to receive an email that everything was ok. A phone call would have been nice. I was so worried.... metformin letrozole TIC HSG I never followed his advice, I found a new doctor
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I felt like Dr. Peterson is well qualified. He's got all the bells and whistles to to speak, but his bed side manner was lacking. When I'd go in for appointments alone, he was always very flat. When my husband would come with me, he was much more warm. I didn't get that. The had a situation and needed to be seen quickly, the physician began the pelvic exam without another assistant in the room. He was in such a rush he gave me a paper and pen to write down measurements for my own exam. I don't know how this in any capacity is appropriate. The MA came in shortly after beginning the exam. But I didn't like his manner or lack of professionalism. I transferred care shortly after that experience. I have other friends who rave about him. But he was a disappointment.
Go with your gut. If a doctor doesn't feel right, keep hunting
Dr Peterson was more interested in getting us enrolled in his study than explaining what we were being seen for. He spent more time explaining his study than my condition. He didn't even touch me or examine me other than shake my hand.
metformin letrozole TIC HSG I never followed his advice, I found a new doctor
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They work hard at getting you in quickly. Don't be afraid to ask for earlier appointments. They were flexible and I really appreciated that. They may try to push research studies, it's ok to say no.......................................
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Peterson has a very kind face that makes it easy to trust him. He is very knowledgeable, comes with lots of experience, and is great at explaining what he is talking about. He is willing to listen to you and think outside the box. However, he can be very blunt and straight forward some times when you are in a fragile state this can be hard to hear but looking back on the information he is blunt about you can see why he may have those concerns.
The nurse practitioner who did IUI was great had a wonderful sense of humor and was kind. ... it cost only $400 for the insemination and sperm prep ... one of the nurse practitioners I felt mistreated and as if I was just a number to her. ... When I spoke to the manager she was very kind and listened. ... They [U of UT - SLC] have lots of innovated ways of doing things with technology and procedures. Because it is a non-profit facility they have studies going on to help find more information about infertility both for male and female.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Always go with your question ready and written down. Be prepare to wait for an appointment and once you are there for your appointment be prepared to wait in the waiting room even past your scheduled time.
While working with the Doctor himself I felt like a human but working with one of his mid-levels I felt just like another number. As she would not listen to me when I tried to explain that I was not under the normal protocol.
After meeting with Dr. Peterson he had a few additional test he wanted to run as they had not been done with previous providers in hopes to find some additional insight to our case and lack of success. Once all the testing came back he wanted to see for himself how my body reacted to specific fertility meds so we did medication and inject round without insemination. We did this and had a negative results. After that he wanted to try an IUI round before considering IVF even though we had 6 failed IUI's and 2 failed rounds of IVF. His reason was at the University of Utah they did things a little different for their IUI's then other clinics in the state. We agreed to try when we went to our ultrasound to see how the follicles were doing he noticed that I had 3 follicles that had matured. He was concerned about more than one of these taking he and explained the risk to us with great detail. We chose to trigger those follicles and we did the IUI the results of those 3 matured follicles resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We have met with him regarding IVF but have not moved forward at this time.
The first we met was a medical assistant and she was great very friendly and kind. She also spent extra time with us making sure we again knew and understood everything Dr. Peterson had talked to us about. I then had to communicate through the electronic portal and did not have the same experience as it was hard to get the nurse answering his messages to see that my case was not typical and seemed easier to not communicate with them in the portal. After meeting with one of the nurse practitioner I was very disappointed with the meeting and felt that no one should be treated how I was. I ended up speaking with Dr. Peterson staff manager and Dr. Peterson regarding the nurse practitioner and the nursing staff handling the portal messages. The nurse practitioner who did IUI was great had a wonderful sense of humor and was kind.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths the depth of knowledge of their providers and clinical staff. Office is not grand or fancy in anyway but is comfortable and inviting. They have lots of innovated ways of doing things with technology and procedures. Because it is a non-profit facility they have studies going on to help find more information about infertility both for male and female.
IUI was unbelievable lower than I had every paid before it cost only $400 for the insemination and sperm prep. Medication seem normal and other cost I don't remember as well.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
As mentioned in a few parts of my review working with one of the nurse practitioners I felt mistreated and as if I was just a number to her. Dr. Peterson had specifically told me we were not doing his standard protocol and what to expect at each step. When I met with this specific nurse practitioner she would not listen to me or let me even explain what I had been told. She told me there was a standard protocol an that is what she was doing. When I tried to explain to her my situation and how it was very different she would deflect or ignore me. She would not listen or answer my questions or concerns. She made me feel that even with all of my past experience of infertility and treatment that I was not intelligent enough to know anything. I left very upset and frustrated I didn't want anyone else to experience what I had so I called into the office and requested to speak with a manager to tell of my experience. When I spoke to the manager she was very kind and listened. She resured me that she would review my case with Dr.Peterson personally and that either she or him would give me a call back. This was in fact the case. Dr. Peterson called me himself to apologize for his employees behavior and to go over what my actual next steps should be.

Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I do feel like she [Dr. Erica Johnstone] had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan...Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages... We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
Sara [at University of Utah] was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success...This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone is a caring and knowledgeable doctor. At times I felt she was much too busy to attend to all her patients and I feel like our care suffered because of it. I do feel like she had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan.
I feel Dr. Johnstone is a caring and highly educated Dr. If she has time for you as a new patient, I would recommend her.
Dr. Johnstone was always caring and thorough when we met with her. I felt she was honest about our treatment options and when it was necessary to get more aggressive.
My diagnosis is annovulatory PCOS, so Dr. Johnstones goal was to get me to ovulate. In the beginning we tried three cycles with just Femara and I never ovulated despite developing mature follicles. Then we moved to femara plus a trigger shot to force ovulation combined with timed intercourse. I was able to get pregnant through this method, but I miscarried. Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages. When I started the femara again after the miscarriage, my body didn't respond. So we had to double the days I took the meds, 10 days instead of 5. We continued with the trigger shot and timed intercourse but moved to IUI after that was unsuccessful twice. We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara was our nurse practitioner that we worked with closely )
Sara was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked. That being said, I do think the Dr.'s and nurses are knowledgeable and capable.
IUI cost $360 just for the procedure. Each follicle monitoring ultrasound was $230. Each trigger shot was $40. Appointments to meet with Dr. Johnstone were $265. The hysteroscopy was covered by insurance but would have been $460 if it hadn't been.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Dorais is very compassionate and sensitive. She spent a lot of time talking about our options and called me several times just to check in and follow up on previous conversations. Her patient care is her greatest strength - very reassuring...In my opinion she is on the conservative side as far as treatment course. She was great to work with, but that being said I did not have success with two ivf cycles so it is hard to recommend fully. If you are looking for a patient, kind doctor that will clearly and carefully explain things she is excellent. Also, she did leave the clinic for another local clinic in the middle of my second cycle.
[University of Utah is a] Nice facility that feels personal. They managed things efficiently and were excellent communicators. The mychart system is also very helpful for keeping track of information and seeing doctors notes or even asking questions. Each person I dealt with was professional and helpful...Meg [nurse] was amazing. I had to get my frozen embryos sent from another state and she handled everything so smoothly. She micro-managed every detail and made sure that nothing was missed and that it was all smooth. She really minimized my stress. So, so grateful for her.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
She is very smart and clearly explains all the factors. She is also very kind and you really feel she wants you to have success. In my opinion she is on the conservative side as far as treatment course. She was great to work with, but that being said I did not have success with two ivf cycles so it is hard to recommend fully. If you are looking for a patient, kind doctor that will clearly and carefully explain things she is excellent. Also, she did leave the clinic for another local clinic in the middle of my second cycle.
Come prepared with your questions and she will always answer them and give you the research to validate them.
I did 2 frozen embryo transfers with dr Dorais. Both were mostly the same protocol with lupron injections, oral meds (can't remember name!) and the mm progestorone injections. I was allergic to progestorone and switched to crinone vaginal cream. Cycles were treated the same except with an addition of an endometrial scratch procedure before the 2nd Ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
Meg was amazing. I had to get my frozen embryos sent from another state and she handled everything so smoothly. She micro-managed every detail and made sure that nothing was missed and that it was all smooth. She really minimized my stress. So, so grateful for her.
About $3500 for a frozen cycle, plus medications
She favored eSET. I already have twins from a previous Ivf cycle with another clinic/dr and had a very complicated pregnancy. With those factors she had a clear recommendation.

PCOS, Unexplained, Other
She [Dr. Dorias] would sit down and speak directly with us, never acting like she was rushed or had to go, even though I’m sure she always had other things she could have been doing...She followed up with me after hours and called me personally a few times when there had been good or bad news...She personalized every step of treatment and adjusted it as needed. She was direct with odds, risks, next steps for treatments. She gave professional opinions, but also constantly checked in on how I was feeling and what I wanted to do.
Megan [nurse at University of Utah] communicated well and kept me informed. She also relayed info to Dr. Dorais when I needed, and responded to things quickly... I saw most of the doctors there at one time or another, and liked all of them. The nurses abt helped with my sedated procedures were great and so helpful...Consult $250 IUI around $700...IVF- guarantee cycle, 2nd tier- $17,500 (covered IVF, retrieval, both FETs...The front desk staff (now changed) was not the most helpful or friendly
PCOS, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
From my first visit with Dr. Dorais, I felt comfortable in her care, confident in her knowledge and abilities, and so grateful to have her as my doctor. She personalized every step of treatment and adjusted it as needed. She was direct with odds, risks, next steps for treatments. She gave professional opinions, but also constantly checked in on how I was feeling and what I wanted to do. She is positive, but realistic, and approaches everything optimistically. I had a few setbacks and complications during my treatment (through no fault of Dr. Dorais) and when things were especially difficult, she would call to check in on me or just to touch base and see how I was doing. When I thought I was miscarrying, she offered to meet me in the ER if I decided to go in. When that miscarriage was confirmed in her office, she sat with us as we cried together, knew the right things to say, and helped us through it. She was so compassionate while we grieved, and later shared in our joy when we were finally pregnant. She made our journey bearable, when at times it felt like it wouldn’t have been otherwise. She was my advocate, my cheerleader, and also a voice of reason. She is simply the best.
Make an appointment with her ASAP.
Dr. Dorais was always very warm and kind. She knew everything about our case all the time, without checking my chart during the visit. We felt like she was our teammate and wanted success for us as badly as we wanted it for ourselves. She would sit down and speak directly with us, never acting like she was rushed or had to go, even though I’m sure she always had other things she could have been doing. If our visit was over and I thought of a question as she was walking out, she’d come back and sit down and talk us through anything. She never rushed us. She followed up with me after hours and called me personally a few times when there had been good or bad news.
3 rounds Letrazole 3 IUIs (with Gonal-F) 1 round IVF: 25 eggs retrieved, resulting in 13 frozen embryos. Converted to freeze-all due to OHSS First FET: 2 embryos, 1 implanted, miscarried at 7 weeks Second FET: 2 embryos, resulted in twins (now 14 months old)
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan communicated well and kept me informed. She also relayed info to Dr. Dorais when I needed, and responded to things quickly.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The front desk staff (now changed) was not the most helpful or friendly, but they did keep things scheduled and on track. I saw most of the doctors there at one time or another, and liked all of them. The nurses abt helped with my sedated procedures were great and so helpful.
Consult $250 IUI around $700 (x3) IVF- guarantee cycle, 2nd tier- $17,500 (covered IVF, retrieval, both FETs) Meds- around $3500 total for all procedures HSG- $500 Polypectomy- $200 Our total for all procedures, meds, etc was about $30,000
She strongly encouraged single embryo transfer, but let us make our own decision about transferring one or two embryos. She was very clear about the risks of transferring multiple embryos and her rationale for her recommendations.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Johnstone] never made me feel like I was a worthless case. She explained to me that my age is a factor, but there were atleast 10 things I could try before I had a hysterectomy. She was compassionate when things didn't work and made sure that I knew that I wasn't a lost cause. I never felt like my needs or concerns were pushed aside and she took time to listen to all of my questions and concerns.
The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They [University of Utah] are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back.... They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She never made me feel like I was a worthless case. She explained to me that my age is a factor, but there were atleast 10 things I could try before I had a hysterectomy. She was compassionate when things didn't work and made sure that I knew that I wasn't a lost cause. I never felt like my needs or concerns were pushed aside and she took time to listen to all of my questions and concerns.
Go see her! She is amazing!
Erica never spoke to me like I was just another patient. She was kind and made sure she knew my case and what I was there for and guided me along the way. She has always been there to answer any of my questions and never made me feel like she was in a rush to get to the next appointment.
Started Letrozole 2.5 mg and then made an ultrasound appointment. Start taking the Ovulation predictor tests ever day and have intercourse the day it turns positive and the following 2 days. Also took norethindrone and increased the amount of letrozole to 7.5 mg.
They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly. I went embarrassed for being there the first time, but then they made it comfortable that the next times I went, I wasn't embarrassed.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back. I was happy that I got the team that I did, because they were always so welcoming. At my old clinic, it wasn't that way. So this was a refreshing way to feel going into a doctors office. Doctors offices aren't normally as kind and welcoming as Dr. Johnstone's office is. But I love this clinic and have referred many of my friends who are also having fertility problems. With the help of Dr. Johnstone and her team, she was able to help my friend have her first baby after trying for a very long time. I am excited for my next visit to their office.
I don't remember.
+ Read more- Read less

Our nurse [University of Utah] was very helpful and responsive. My questions (via their messaging software) were answered very quickly.... I loved how frequently we were able to meet with our Dr (not always common among other practices). I didn’t love some of the other doctors. I had to meet with one during an emergency Sunday ultrasound when I was miscarrying. He was very blunt and not very sensitive during this imaginably difficult time.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is sweet and compassionate. I always felt well cared for and “heard” as her patient. She never pushed us into a treatment, it was always the pace that we were comfortable with. She always had time for us and our questions. We never felt rushed during our visits with her.
Feel empowered about your healthcare and treatment options because she will absolutely address them. I one time hesitated about a particular treatment and timing that she had recommended. She immediately sensed that and asked what our preference was and followed through with that.
Dr. Dorais was so caring and personable. As I was going through our first miscarriage she was extremely sensitive and helpful through the process. She made personal phone calls to congratulate us after we found out we were pregnant (both times!). She thoroughly and carefully helped us understand the basic science behind why we weren’t able to get pregnant to that point and helped us understand our treatment options based on that understanding. She never pushed us into one treatment or another and always asked what we felt comfortable moving forward with and at what times.
We used the highest dosage of Femara because all clomid dosages hadnt resulted in ovulation. Because of this she recommended we start with the highest dosage of femara and we were able to get pregnant immediately. The first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage (HCG levels weren’t growing appropriately). Our second round we were able to get pregnant again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Kathryn)
Our nurse was very helpful and responsive. My questions (via their messaging software) were answered very quickly.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Most of our treatments were covered under our insurance