University of Utah

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
675 Arapeen Way
SLC, UT 84108
(801) 581‑3834
South Jordan
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
801-213-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Every nurse at this clinic [University of Utah] is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful...They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time. I can always get an appointment when I need one, although it does take awhile to get an appointment with my actual Dr. My one big criticism of the clinic is that they do not enforce their "no children in the clinic" rule and that is very frustrating and painful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is very nice and friendly, but he doesn't seem to know my case very well, except what he reads off my chart. He's missed some important things in there. Once I saw him in the waiting room in the clinic, and it was clear he didn't recognize me at all. His staff is great though and knows me.
Every nurse at this clinic is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is really smart, and I trust him to know the appropriate treatment for me. He is always very patient in answering my many questions, and always presents the information in a way I can understand. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things, but also presents I options in a hopeful manner. His drawbacks include working on a kind of macro level- he doesn't seem interested in helping me optimize my health to increase chances of conception...he told me once that rates don't change much by chasing down every little problem. He hasn't done any labs on me since my first consultation (with another Dr. 2 years prior to my visit with him). I also feel that I he has somewhat neglected my husband throughout this process, despite pretty serious MFI. We lost a few months due to not knowing what was going on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Advocate for yourself. Make sure he's looking at all the results, and doing the tests you need.
Describe the protocols Matthew Peterson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I started on metformin 1500mg for 3 months, while my husband started on clomid 50mg for 3 months. Did an SIS to endure everything was good anatomically. Then I started letrozole 5 mg, which I didn't respond to. Used Provera to induce a period, then did 7.5 mg letrozole. Didn't respond. That same day, started 50 mg clomid plus 7.5 letrozole. No response by day 13. Started 5 mg letrozole and 100 mg clomid. No response. Told then I could move to injectibles, or lose weight. Chose to lose weight. After 4 months, I responded to 5 mg letrozole. Tried 3 natural cycles with the letrozole. Then moved to IUI. First was 5 mg letrozole and trigger with ovidrel. No success. Next three IUIs were 7.5 mg letrozole (to try and ovulate earlier than day 19) and ovidrel trigger. CP on second IUI, and then 2 failures. After 4th fail, recommended to do IVF with ICSI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.
I believe the initial consultation was around $200. Each ultrasound was around $350. IUIs are $370 total. My copay for each Dr. Visit was $25. I pay about $20 for a 3 month supply of letrozole, $10 for metformin, and $18 per syringe of ovidrel.
2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
This clinic [Univ of Utah] is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone was always kind, but honest about what to expect with each procedure. When results came back negative she was always the one to call me not a random nurse. I always felt like she had my best interest in mind and did all she could within her power to help us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Moore)
Danielle Moore and Jennifer Baxter were wonderful to work with. I got regular emails and reminders from them which helped a lot.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Doctor Johnstone always responded promply to emails. She responded within 24 hours as advertised, but usually lots sooner. I had some bleeding early on with my first pregnancy Dr. Johnstone adjusted her schedule and got me in that morning and checked me out personally. Dr. Johnstone is a wonderful doctor and has spoiled me for other doctors. I have gone to other doctors expecting the same care and it just doesn't happen. There are few doctors as good as doctor Johnstone. I always felt like she really cared.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Go in prepared to ask questions. Doctor Johnstone will take the time to answer your questions. If you just feel clueless that is ok too. Doctor Johnstone explains things very clearly and does all that she can to make sure you understand your options and what is going on.
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
We started out trying IUI with clomid. My AMH levels were good so we tried this first. I responded well to clomid so we tried IUI's 3 times all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We went on vacation and just did a clomid round that month with was also negative. The next two months we did IUI's with clomid and a couple of days of injectable medication follow by a trigger shots. Both months ended with negative pregnancy tests. A few months later I started IVF with a lupron down regulating prior to start IVF fertility meds. Also my AMH levels came back poor which resulted in me using high levels of fertility meds. When I went to my lining check most of my folicals had disappeared depite the high levels of fertility meds. That cycle was canceled and I just went in for another IUI. That cycle resulted in another negative pregnancy test. We did another IVF round this time Dr. Johns didn't have me use lupron. The cycle was much more natural, but I still used very high levels of fertility meds. They were able to retrieve 11 eggs, 10 of which fertilized, but only one made it to be a day 5 embryo. The one embryo was transferred, but still resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Following this we looked into adoption and also embryo donation. We went to another state and tried two rounds of donor embryos under another doctors care. Dr. Johnstone helped us out with all of the testing and lining checks before each frozen embryo transfer with the other doctors in another state. Doctor Johnstone was still very supportive while we worked with another doctor. One donor embryo cycle was negative and the next one ended up being a chemical pregnancy. Following that we returned to Doctor Johnstone to do IVF with donor eggs. We qualified for a guarantee program and decided to participate in it. Our first donor cycle ended before the transfer date. None of the embryos made it. We chose a second donor who backed out a few days before we started medication. We made it to our transfer date with our third donor. We had 6 five day embryos on the transfer date. We decided to transfer 2 embryos which resulted in our twins. We were able to freeze the other 4 embryos. Recently we we t back for a frozen embryo cycle which resulted in positive pregnancy tests. Right now I am taking meds and waiting for my viability scan when I reach 7 weeks pregnant. We are excited and hoping for the best. We are so greatful for all of doctor Johnstones help and support though out this journey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
IUI $1,400 IVF about $9,000 IVF meds $1,500 - $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $2,720 IVF with egg donor about $20,000
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Our doctor encouraged us to only transfer one embryo when we used donor eggs. We got a little anxious once we had to choose a third egg donor and chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of the recommended 1. It was a very difficult pregnancy and doctor Johnstone was right to suggest only transferring one embryo. However, they were supportive when we chose to transfer 2.
Other, Unexplained
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like...They [nurses] are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day...Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus.
Latino, Native American
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like. Overall a great place for infertility treatment. My only complaint is that there isn't a clinic closer to where I live. I have to drive 2 hours each way for an appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly (I think))
They are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone has been amazing. I was so frustrated when I first went to see her because it felt like we had been trying to get pregnant on our own forever. She met with us to create a plan and explained what to expect during our journey. She was very matter-of-fact, but also sensitive to how we were feeling about each step. Infertility is a scary journey, but I felt very comfortable in her care.
The doctor will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be.
Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
My insurance was not accepted by the UofU, so we had to pay for surgery ($1,000), IUIs ($400 x 3), etc., out of pocket. Fertility treatments are usually not covered anyway, so this was not hugely different than if we went somewhere else.
Not applicable.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they [U of Utah] always call me back, and in a timely manner.... Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse!... She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they always call me back, and in a timely manner. So i guess it's not THAT bad of a weakness haha.
Dr. Peterson is always warm and down to earth. He knows me and my whole history. Every time we meet with him, he comes prepared with all the information and helps my Husband and I make the best decision. He always takes the time to sit and listen to our concerns and answer all of our questions. He is very honest and does not sugar coat anything but is able to deliver the facts and information kindly. He is never condescending like a lot of very intelligent people can be. He makes both my husband and I feel like he cares about us and OUR situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie Booth)
Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse! She has been my primary nurse the entire time I have been at The U. She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart. She is very organized, patient with scheduling all my different appointments, and compassionate. She is excellent at communicating and helping me stay organized with my IVF schedule. I love her!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is very personable and makes me feel like the current round of IVF, whither it be the 3rd or 4th, matters. Like it's the biggest thing happening in my world- because it is. He is very professional and careful to explain every move he makes when doing vaginal ultrasounds, which I appreciate because lets face it... they are awful. My husband and I have never felt uncomfortable or iffy around him. I have never felt like I was left in the dark about my care plan. He always make sure I know and understand out next steps. What sincerely impressed me- After I had my daughter, about 6 months postpartum (our only live baby from IVF) I had some uncontrollable bleeding. I went to the ER and they ran tests and wanted me to have a D&C. Because we have moved to a different state and my infertility history, I was nervous about my care plan. I called my Infertility office, The U of U, to ask the nurses what they thought about having the D&C because of the scaring that can occur with it. Instead of hearing back from the nurses, Dr. Peterson, himself called me on the phone. He requested my full ER workup papers and test results. He looked over them and he told me how to handle it moving forward. That instance spoke volumes to the kind of doctor he is and the pride he takes in patient care and his work. I would definitely recommend him to the people closest to me without hesitation.
Always go in to see him with questions and be clear about your expectations for him.
At the time of our egg retrieval I was under the care of a different doctor at the University of Utah. I hyperstimulatied really bad and was unable to do a fresh transfer. My doctor took my case to the team and from there on all 5 or so doctors knew about my history and made decisions on my case together. When I began seeing Dr. Peterson he already knew about my history. He had done his "homework" on me so I didn't have to give him the rundown of my medical history of the last 15 years. I was so thankful for that. He did not change up protocol on my FET that he preformed, however, the one he did was the one that we got a live baby out of. I do feel like he watched me closer and I had more frequent appointments and ultrasounds with him because of my history of miscarriage.
There are different plans you can choose from. I don't remember the cost of the egg retrieval. We paid a little more because we needed ICSI. An FET is right around $2700. They are very up front with their cost breakdown. In the 4.5 years we have been going there we have never had any shady billing situation come up. What has been quoted is exactly what we have paid. Prices have never been changed or raised.
Describe Matthew Peterson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Dr. Peterson presented us with the facts and percentage rates in regards to a single and double embryo transfers. He informed us of the complications and risks that can come with multiple embryo transfer. He never tried to sway us one way or another. He just gave us the facts and let us decide.
Endometriosis, PCOS
MyChart system [U of Utah] is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.... I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
MyChart system is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford remembered us from appointment to appointment. He takes very good notes so that helps for not having to repeat our medical records every appointment. He recommended to follow the Mediterranean diet and not only focus on my fertility but in my health in general. He explained all treatments in detail and e-mail via MyChart web links for extra information and for me to do personal research.
I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford. We would meet every few months to check my chart and follow the instructions of the Creighton Model that Dr. Stanford follows. The nurses at the U are very kind and always welcome us with a smile and would remember what we talked about our personal life on previous appointments. They were good at scheduling follow up appointments.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford told us at our first appointments what could be the possible causes of our infertility and he did all tests in order to rule out one by one the causes. He tried different medications as new problems were showing up and went from low to high impact treatment and drug dose. I like to do things by the book and Dr. Stanford was a perfect match for me. He and his team are very communicative, would answer questions the following day and even call on weekends to follow up. He is compassion and sympathetic. When in need to schedule for a ultrasound on a Saturday or Sunday he would work around our own schedule.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford treatments can take a bit too long so you need to ask about all the options to treat your diagnose and push for higher drug's dose or faster treatment but he will always try to get down to the root of the problem and try his best to solve it. I was with him for 2 years and I think I should have look for a second opinion after the first year or year and a half. He did not suggest my husband to take any supplements which I think it could have help us a tinny bit if he has done it. All the studies and life style changes were focus on me and now I wish he had done something to improve my husbands numbers.
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Dr. Stanford had me charting my cycles from the beginning which was tedious at the beginning but now I appreciate having all the information down in the charts with ultrasounds dates and blood test results. It's also 100% helpful to detect ovulation since I have PCOS and not ovulation was a possibility. He first did a hormonal panel to see my hormone levels and had me do a blood draw on day 3 of the cycle plus "day 21". After charting for few cycles he was able to detect some issues and started looking for solutions. Every month that I didn't get pregnant we tried something different. Firsts 5 cycles my mucus was not good so he suggested some supplements to improve mucus quality. He closely monitored my cycles with ultrasounds and/or blood test to detect ovulation. I did ovulate by myself all cycles. He found ovary cyst and suspected endometriosis. On the 5th cycle (with him) I had one of the cyst ruptured and he recommended a laparoscopy that I had on the 7th cycle. The following 6 cycles were supposed to be optimal for getting pregnant but it didn't happen. The laparoscopy did help with my periods pain. For about 4 cycles I had almost no pain but then I started with cramps again. On the 8th cycle, he put me on 200mg progesterone on my luteal phase since my levels were low. But that did not help a lot so 2 cycles later he gave me 400mg. On my 12th cycle I started to have mid-cycle spotting. A hysterosonogram showed no uterus polyps that could cause the spotting so on cycle 15 he put my husband and I on antibiotics (2 weeks for him 4 for me) in case was an infection. That stop the spotting for one cycle so then he put me on low doze Naltrexone around cycle 17. But this still did not solve the spotting. He repeated the hysterosonogram on cycle 22 since my periods were more painful and the spotting persist but came back all good. Although I was ovulating on my own we tried to improve ovulation with Letrozol (7.5mg once a month) starting on cycle 15. On cycle 19 I suffer from hyper-stimulation so Dr. lowered the dose on cycle 21 and 22. On cycle 23 I decided it was the last cycle with Dr. Stanford before moving on to assisted. We did a high dose of Letrozole closely monitored (as were ALL cycles) but we did not achieve a pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
Since the whole treatment was due to my PCOS and endometriosis and Dr. Stanford is in network, everything was cover by my health insurance except for the monthly follow up fee that was charged when he revised my chart that I would send by e-mail and not see him in person that month.
SLC
This clinic [University of Utah] is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment... I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment
I felt that every time I came into the office they knew me, they remembered what we had been through. Also when we had bad news of a cancelled cycle they were very considerate and I felt like they cared by trying everything possible to not make that happen again. Also the communication between me and the nurses was incredible I never felt like I was doing all the work or the only one who cared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Sara)
I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life. They cared just as much as i did about me getting pregnant. The communication between us was so easy and i knew that if i ever had a question they would call me back within 15 minutes. They were amazing
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica was fantastic. she had this soft manner in her work and in her voice that made me always feel so calm and at ease. Infertility is a stressful time as it is and with her manner and her genuine care i felt like i was in the best hands.
I would say that even though you do not see erica every appointment know that she has the worlds best nurses and you are in great hands.
first cycle was a plan for an IUI. she prescribed me provera to induce my period. After provera and on the 2nd day of my cycle i went in for an ultrasound and also to start Famera 3 pills a day for 5 days. After 5 days i went back for an ultra sound. At this ultrasound i had 3 non mature eggs so i was then prescribed Gonal F (37.5ml) for 3 days. After 3 days i went back in for an ultrasound and found that i had 1 egg that was mature at 22 mm and the rest fell behind and stopped growing. At this point i was to do the trigger shot that night and then 36 hours later i had an IUI with fresh sperm. After this i had progesterone for 14 days and after that i took a pregnancy test which was negative. Cycle 2 we did the exact same protocol, after day 3 of my Gonal F injections we saw on the ultrasound that i made 7 mature eggs resulting in a cancelled cycle and restrain from sex. Cycle 3- we decided to only try Famera this round, i took 3 pills a day for 5 days and then on day 10 i went in for an ultrasound showing that i had 3 eggs that were not mature yet, erica decided to let me coast. I went in three days later and found that 3 eggs were mature. We waited one extra day and then did the trigger shot and again 36 hours later did an IUI with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. After 14 days we got a negative pregnancy test.
my insurance has not covered much but we paid about 250 each doctor visit and with medication and IUI, Sperm sample, freezing, ultrasounds. We ended up paying about 3,000 each cycle and we have done 3
SLC
[Univ of UT is] Very patient oriented and sensitive. They are very responsive to messages. We have always gotten back to see our provider in a timely manner. The only thing I got say as a weakness is that the waiting area is in much need of a renovation. But other than that, our patient experience had been positive.... Our nurses took time to explain everything in detail, review medications, and really held our hand through the whole process.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr. Link's love is felt as she speaks to you. She genuinely cares about us and does all she can to help us one day bring home our baby. She has never given up hope on us no matter how tough the road gets. She has the perfect balance between being realistic and optimistic. She has taken time to personally call me and check in with me and let me know she was thinking of me. She has helped us learn of new treatments and is helping us with a different approach. We seriously love Dr. Link.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr. Link is so loving, dedicated, and optimistic. We were diagnosed with male factor infertility and diminished ovarian reserve. Our first IVF cycle was not successful. However, what we loved about her was that she let us know from the beginning that due to our situation, that would be the most likely option, that it would be unsuccessful. My husband and I wanted to proceed, regardless of our chances. Dr. Link proceeded with optimism and gave us our best possible shot. When that didn't work, she comforted us. She called me a few times in the following weeks, and she brought us into the clinic to go over more options to grow our family. She has never given up on us and works tirelessly to help us accomplish our dream.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Megan Link at University of Utah?
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, she is willing to spend as much time as you need explaining things as you need.
Describe the protocols Megan Link used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
We proceeded with injections to prepare fpr egg retrieval. Gonal F, cetrotide, menopur. Our doctor also prescribed growth hormone injections since i had a diminished ovarian reserve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Megan Link at University of Utah.
We were lucky to have our insurance cover a lot. The most expensive part for us was a tese a d microtese surgery that my husband needed. We spent $12,000 on those surgeries. We spent $4,000 on medications, and after what our insurance covered of the IVF cycle we paid $1,900.
Megan Link
SLC
Whenever I would go into the office [U of Utah] for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though.... I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara.... They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter.... Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office and little things like babies and kids are so hard to see during hard times.
Going through infertility you are already so sensitive. It’s a hard topic, hard time emotionally and physically. Whenever I would go into the office for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though. I genuinely felt like dr Johnstone and her nurses cared about me as a person and not just a patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara tolstep and heidi )
I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara. They were amazing. I have never had such care and compassion in any other doctor. They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter. I feel like I am better friends with my nurses then just there patient. They cared about me and my circumstance. They would randomly check on me. I can’t say enough good things about Heidi and Sara.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
My experience with dr Johnstone was great. Although I did only see her a couple times, it did not bother me one but because she has the worlds best nurses. I felt as though dr Johnstone cared as much as I did about getting pregnant and her compassion and her soft manner helped me relax. Although we still have not gotten pregnant like we hoped I still feel as though I am getting the correct treatment and I trust my doctor and nurses completely.
Just knowing that you won’t see dr Johnstone as much as I though it really didn’t matter. She had amazing nurses who take care of you just as much as dr Johnstone would.
I am currently living in the Philippines and we tried every way possible to get pregnant here including 3 iui’s. It didn’t work. So we have traveled back to Utah 3 times to do iui’s. Our first cycle we did provera for 7 days to induce period, ultrasound on day 3 of my period. We then started letrozole (famera) for 5 days 3 pills a day. Then on day 5 of letrozol I went in for another ultrasound. This scan showed I had 3 not mature eggs I think about 10mm so she decided to do gonal f for 3 days 37 units a day. I then went back after 3 days and saw that 1 egg had made it for 24mm. That night we did the trigger shot, waited 36 hours and did an iui with fresh sperm. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Our second iui in Utah was done the exact same way, same medicine same ultrasounds but when I got to my ultrasound 3 days after taking gonal f they say I had 6 mature eggs and dr Johnstone believed we should cancel that cycle. Our third iui she decided to just do letrozol. So I did 5 days of letrozol 3 pills a day and then come back in on day 10 for an ultrasound. This ultrasound showed that I had 3 follicles growing. We decided to just let coast and come back two days later. This ultrasound showed that 2 eggs were 20 mm and the third one was 15mm with the past showing I haven’t had any luck they decided to wait two days to do the trigger shot in hopes that all three eggs would be viable. I was also aware of all the risks. I then did the trigger shot and then 36 hours later we did an iui with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. This also resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
I have had great insurance but I have had to pay for almost all visits and medications. Each visit should be about $328 but with insurance comes out to be 180 or so. Then each shot was about $70 except trigger shot which was $120. In all with three iui’s I would think we have spent about $7-8,000
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Sara [at University of Utah] was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success...This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked. That being said, I do think the Dr.'s and nurses are knowledgeable and capable.
Dr. Johnstone was always caring and thorough when we met with her. I felt she was honest about our treatment options and when it was necessary to get more aggressive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara was our nurse practitioner that we worked with closely )
Sara was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone is a caring and knowledgeable doctor. At times I felt she was much too busy to attend to all her patients and I feel like our care suffered because of it. I do feel like she had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan.
I feel Dr. Johnstone is a caring and highly educated Dr. If she has time for you as a new patient, I would recommend her.
My diagnosis is annovulatory PCOS, so Dr. Johnstones goal was to get me to ovulate. In the beginning we tried three cycles with just Femara and I never ovulated despite developing mature follicles. Then we moved to femara plus a trigger shot to force ovulation combined with timed intercourse. I was able to get pregnant through this method, but I miscarried. Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages. When I started the femara again after the miscarriage, my body didn't respond. So we had to double the days I took the meds, 10 days instead of 5. We continued with the trigger shot and timed intercourse but moved to IUI after that was unsuccessful twice. We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
IUI cost $360 just for the procedure. Each follicle monitoring ultrasound was $230. Each trigger shot was $40. Appointments to meet with Dr. Johnstone were $265. The hysteroscopy was covered by insurance but would have been $460 if it hadn't been.
SLC
[University of Utah is a] Nice facility that feels personal. They managed things efficiently and were excellent communicators. The mychart system is also very helpful for keeping track of information and seeing doctors notes or even asking questions. Each person I dealt with was professional and helpful...Meg [nurse] was amazing. I had to get my frozen embryos sent from another state and she handled everything so smoothly. She micro-managed every detail and made sure that nothing was missed and that it was all smooth. She really minimized my stress. So, so grateful for her.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr Dorais is very compassionate and sensitive. She spent a lot of time talking about our options and called me several times just to check in and follow up on previous conversations. Her patient care is her greatest strength - very reassuring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
Meg was amazing. I had to get my frozen embryos sent from another state and she handled everything so smoothly. She micro-managed every detail and made sure that nothing was missed and that it was all smooth. She really minimized my stress. So, so grateful for her.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
She is very smart and clearly explains all the factors. She is also very kind and you really feel she wants you to have success. In my opinion she is on the conservative side as far as treatment course. She was great to work with, but that being said I did not have success with two ivf cycles so it is hard to recommend fully. If you are looking for a patient, kind doctor that will clearly and carefully explain things she is excellent. Also, she did leave the clinic for another local clinic in the middle of my second cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Come prepared with your questions and she will always answer them and give you the research to validate them.
Describe the protocols Jessie Dorais used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I did 2 frozen embryo transfers with dr Dorais. Both were mostly the same protocol with lupron injections, oral meds (can't remember name!) and the mm progestorone injections. I was allergic to progestorone and switched to crinone vaginal cream. Cycles were treated the same except with an addition of an endometrial scratch procedure before the 2nd Ivf.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessie Dorais at University of Utah.
About $3500 for a frozen cycle, plus medications
Describe Jessie Dorais's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
She favored eSET. I already have twins from a previous Ivf cycle with another clinic/dr and had a very complicated pregnancy. With those factors she had a clear recommendation.
SLC
The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They [University of Utah] are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back.... They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back. I was happy that I got the team that I did, because they were always so welcoming. At my old clinic, it wasn't that way. So this was a refreshing way to feel going into a doctors office. Doctors offices aren't normally as kind and welcoming as Dr. Johnstone's office is. But I love this clinic and have referred many of my friends who are also having fertility problems. With the help of Dr. Johnstone and her team, she was able to help my friend have her first baby after trying for a very long time. I am excited for my next visit to their office.
Erica never spoke to me like I was just another patient. She was kind and made sure she knew my case and what I was there for and guided me along the way. She has always been there to answer any of my questions and never made me feel like she was in a rush to get to the next appointment.
They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly. I went embarrassed for being there the first time, but then they made it comfortable that the next times I went, I wasn't embarrassed.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She never made me feel like I was a worthless case. She explained to me that my age is a factor, but there were atleast 10 things I could try before I had a hysterectomy. She was compassionate when things didn't work and made sure that I knew that I wasn't a lost cause. I never felt like my needs or concerns were pushed aside and she took time to listen to all of my questions and concerns.
Go see her! She is amazing!
Started Letrozole 2.5 mg and then made an ultrasound appointment. Start taking the Ovulation predictor tests ever day and have intercourse the day it turns positive and the following 2 days. Also took norethindrone and increased the amount of letrozole to 7.5 mg.
I don't remember.
None, Other
Our nurse [University of Utah] was very helpful and responsive. My questions (via their messaging software) were answered very quickly.... I loved how frequently we were able to meet with our Dr (not always common among other practices). I didn’t love some of the other doctors. I had to meet with one during an emergency Sunday ultrasound when I was miscarrying. He was very blunt and not very sensitive during this imaginably difficult time.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Dorais was so caring and personable. As I was going through our first miscarriage she was extremely sensitive and helpful through the process. She made personal phone calls to congratulate us after we found out we were pregnant (both times!). She thoroughly and carefully helped us understand the basic science behind why we weren’t able to get pregnant to that point and helped us understand our treatment options based on that understanding. She never pushed us into one treatment or another and always asked what we felt comfortable moving forward with and at what times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Kathryn)
Our nurse was very helpful and responsive. My questions (via their messaging software) were answered very quickly.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is sweet and compassionate. I always felt well cared for and “heard” as her patient. She never pushed us into a treatment, it was always the pace that we were comfortable with. She always had time for us and our questions. We never felt rushed during our visits with her.
Feel empowered about your healthcare and treatment options because she will absolutely address them. I one time hesitated about a particular treatment and timing that she had recommended. She immediately sensed that and asked what our preference was and followed through with that.
We used the highest dosage of Femara because all clomid dosages hadnt resulted in ovulation. Because of this she recommended we start with the highest dosage of femara and we were able to get pregnant immediately. The first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage (HCG levels weren’t growing appropriately). Our second round we were able to get pregnant again.
Most of our treatments were covered under our insurance
2014 - 2017
4 IUI, IVF
Our sweet nurse [at the University of Utah-SLC] was the perfect partner to Dr. Peterson. She was so warm, and so supportive. If I had questions, which I did. She was so quick to respond. She was everything I could have hoped for in a nurse through this process... The clinic was so professionally ran. The staff were all sweet, Empathetic and proficient.... He [Dr. Matthew Petereson] is wonderful. Ask as many questions as you want/need. He will answer them, and re-answer them. He knows how overwhelming this process can be
2014 - 2017
4 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
From the moment I met Dr. Petterson, it was as if we had known eachother forever. He not only treats me like his only patient, but a dear friend. Through this long and sometimes painful process, it can be so overwhelming and stressful. He will hold my hand say "if you were my daughter"... or just hold my hand while I cry. He is brilliant, I more than trust him with this delicate and special endeavor, of helping my husband and I become parents, I depend on him. He calls after clinical hours, to check in me physically and emotionally. He is a life long friend, and a blessing in our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Charie )
Our sweet nurse was the perfect partner to Dr. Peterson. She was so warm, and so supportive. If I had questions, which I did. She was so quick to respond. She was everything I could have hoped for in a nurse through this process
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson has decades of experience and success. He is as warm, kind and empathetic as he is knowledgeable. He made special efforts to check in with me and my husband, individually- to see how we are doing. He knows the importance and sacrifice couples make to have their children, and is so sensitive to that fact. I have never felt like a "number/patient" always a friend. He is a kind and Christlike man, who will be your greatest ally through your infertility journey.
He is wonderful. Ask as many questions as you want/need. He will answer them, and re-answer them. He knows how overwhelming this process can be
Ever since the beginning, we have yet to find a "problem" with me or my husband. Not for a lake of testing Given the fact that we are both healthy, with what we can foresee, no issues... Dr. Petterson started me on a birth control, to regulate my cycle. Once it came time I started Gonal-F and menopur. We chose to do a frozen cycle, once time came to implant our frozen embryo, we then began progesterone shots. Dr. Peterson chose a normal dose and schedule for what my "case" was. His approach is, not to throw anything and everything, with hopes of a positive result. He, along with the board of Dr's in the clinic, study my case and decide what route is best.
14k-18k
Dr. Petterson believes the most important thing, is a positive, successful pregnancy. For the baby and mother. He always recommends one embryo transfer at a time, and shows data and fact in the differences with single and multiple pregnancies. Risk Factor. However, he knows this is a personal decision, and allows his patients to make the decision based on one embryo or two. He wants you to know all the facts, so you can make the best decision.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
All of the nursing staff [at the Univ of Utah] have been very friendly and helpful. They are all very on top of things and very compassionate. At the clinic it is a nurse that performs the IUI. I've had the same nurse each time and she has been amazing. She explains things really well and answers all questions. She is compassionate and encouraging. She was also good at keeping an awkward and stressful situation very light.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I really like the clinic. It is in a convenient location for where I work. It is easy to find. The inside of the clinic is very inviting and everything is run really well.
Dr. Dorais is the sweetest doctor. You can tell that she genuinely cares about more than just a chart or increasing success numbers. She was very open about next steps and included us in the decision making.
All of the nursing staff have been very friendly and helpful. They are all very on top of things and very compassionate. At the clinic it is a nurse that performs the IUI. I've had the same nurse each time and she has been amazing. She explains things really well and answers all questions. She is compassionate and encouraging. She was also good at keeping an awkward and stressful situation very light.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr Dorais is an amazing doctor. I came to her with a diagnosis of unexplained fertility from a previous RE. She dug deeper and diagnosed me with endometriosis and my husband with low morphology. It was nice to finally have some answers. She was very open and compassionate. She did a great job of explaining things in layman terms. She laid out the options nicely and involved my husband and I in the decision making.
Go see Dr. Dorais! She is amazing!
We have only been seeing her for a few months so we do not have any positive pregnancy tests yet, but I am hopeful. After discussing our previous treatments and tests and some of my current symptoms she gave the option to dig a little deeper. I was put on birth control and had a laparoscopy done that same month. She found a mild case of endometriosis. She gave us the option to try naturally or with drugs and IUI. She suggested the IUI's because I was more fertile after have the excision of endometriosis. We tried one month naturally and are now onto our 2nd IUI.
The costs were pretty typical. I did have insurance to help cover some of it though. They were quite affordable for IUI.
This hasn't applied to our situation yet.
SLC
Strength [of Univ of Utah]: local, easy to contact, prompt, good communication via My chart (email). Weaknesses: inconsistencies between what doc says & business office in regard to financial matters. And as I keep saying, too much time spent with techs & nurses, not enough time with Docs, especially for the significant out of pocket expenses.... Lee Cherie Booth is amazing. End of story. The rest of the nursing staff seems so-so compared to a few years ago. Too many techs, not enough time with the Doc.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strength: local, easy to contact, prompt, good communication via My chart (email). Weaknesses: inconsistencies between what doc says & business office in regard to financial matters. And as I keep saying, too much time spent with techs & nurses, not enough time with Docs, especially for the significant out of pocket expenses.
I felt (whether actual or perceived, I don't know) like he was judging (very discretely) my status as a single mom, and possibly, again very subtly, my non-membership in the dominant faith in Utah).
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very intelligent, and has a fair/good bedside manner. Unfortunately, he wasn't involved enough in my monitoring (compared to previous IVF doc); techs & nurses did everything after the initial consultation until the retrieval. I was disappointed, and didn't FEEL like he was involved enough (although he said he reviewed every lab & Ultrasound). In fairness, at the completion of the failed IVF Cycle I told him how I felt, and he said he could be more involved in future cycles. One final dissatisfaction: he says things about financial matters and then the clinic business office contradicts him. Very frustrating.
Tell him that you want HIM to do your monitoring ultrasounds himself...not the techs.
Supplements: Pregnitude, L-Arginine, Baby Aspirin, DHEA, COENZYME Q 10, Melatonin, Serovital. Meds: Clomid, Cetrotide, Menopur, Gonal F, and Pregnyl trigger.
Roughly $19,000 -20,000 for IVF cycle (egg retrieval), meds, and genetic screen. Another $4-500 for FET & meds.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
I loved it [U of Utah]. Very clean and nice...My nurse was incredible. She took the brunt of all the craziness and medications. I would email her and she took the time to call me back not email me. It was nice to talk to a real person. She was so organized and help me understand all my levels during the monitoring appointments....It was about 9000 for the IVF cycle...She [Dr. Dorais] took her time, and never made me feel like a burdened.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I loved it. Very clean and nice, but takes a while to get there especially during traffic times.
She treated me so kindly. She made sure that we were on the same page through every appointment, that if i had any questions i knew she was available to answer. She took her time, and never made me feel like a burdened. Even when she was running late she took the time to talk with him after we found out we were not pregnant. She is a real gem
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais was a real compassionate knowledgeable doctor. She knew how important having a baby was and is to me and she was willing to do anything. She made sure i understood everything and what would happen next.
Come with all of your questions before hand-it is well worth having everything you want to know written down because she will take the time to have you understand.
I was on stims medications for a long while. We took it slow because it was my first time and i only had 1 ovary. She really didn't want to overstimulate it. We finally up the dosage and were ready for ER a couple of days later. Everything went smooth and we were happy with the 10 eggs we got. Sadly by day 5 only 2 survived. I reached out to Dr. Dorais because i didn't want to spend money on freezing one and transferring the other. I got to talk with her over the phone and we decided that transferring 2 was a much better option. Sadly we got a BFN but met with her right after to discuss next steps.
It was about 9000 for the IVF cycle and medication was about 4000 on top of that
She said at the beginning that transferring one was good, but because of the egg quality and low count we transferred two. i was happy she would work with me.
SLC
The location [U of Utah] is in Daybreak, South Jordan Utah....Very nice brand new building. I hated the self check in - it took forever....Our first appointment we waited 40 minutes....They [nursing staff] were happy and upbeat and showed appropriate support if something hard happened. I liked them....Dr. Joseph Stanford would respond to my MyChart emails promptly...He changed his billing process while we were with him.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The location is in Daybreak, South Jordan Utah. Kind of for for me. Very nice brand new building. I hated the self check in - it took forever. Pretty low wait time our second appointment. Our first appointment we waited 40 minutes.
Dr. Joseph Stanford would respond to my MyChart emails promptly, he called me after an appointment and asked if it was ok to order one more blood work test. He is very personable and great to count on.
They were happy and upbeat and showed appropriate support if something hard happened. I liked them.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Joseph Stanford had me chart my cycles for two or three months, evaluated it along with my symptoms, and diagnosed me with Endometriosis and pushed me to get a laparoscopy. I have it scheduled, and I am eagerly awaiting to see what my surgeon finds!
His take on fertility takes a longer amount of time, but in the long run, he will get down to the problem and help you solve it, instead of bypass the problem with test tubes and unnecessary meds.
Dr Stanford saw me in Dec 2016, he asked me to begin charting my cycle so he could get an idea of what my body was lacking. He says it is usually hormonal imbalances or blockages. I charted for two months, met with a nurse practitioner who specializes in teaching charting, and then we saw him Feb 8, 2017. He rated my cervical mucus as good, and based on my symptoms, said I had endometriosis and I should get a laparoscopy. Most traditional RE and OB doctors discourage laparoscopy, because of the risks, and he explained the risks, but he said the risks DO NOT outweigh the cons. I don't think I would have ever gotten a laparoscopy if it weren't for him. We will see the results and what they find!
He changed his billing process while we were with him. He started billing things separately and billing for MyChart email questions, I think.
SLC
The biggest problem was that I could never get in touch with them [University of Utah fertility staff] when I needed to. Case in point -- I needed to have a D&C after my miscarriage. The scheduler left a voicemail with an appointment time that didn't work for my work schedule. I left two voicemails and sent two emails over the next 48 hours, and no one ever got back to me.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I do not think that they are using the most up to date protocols. They also rotate the doctors through multiple locations, so I often had to drive much further than I would have liked to see my doctor on certain days.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore spent significant time with my husband and me during our appointments. He made sure to answer all of our questions and never rushed us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Carver)
In general, most of the nurses I saw were compassionate and kind. The U of U patient portal is also very good for communicating with the nurses. My biggest frustration was the inability to ever speak to a nurse on the phone. No one ever answers the IVF nurse line. It says they will return messages within 24 hours, but I found that not to be true. I had better luck with emailing and getting an emailed response back, but there were times when I just wanted to speak to someone and found it so frustrating not to be able to. For example, I did my HCG tests out of state, while traveling. The lab order did not have all the information the lab needed to do the test. I just needed to get a nurse on the phone to provide the missing information -- instead, I sat at the lab for an hour waiting for one of the nurses to email me back.
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
I liked Dr. Moore as a person; however, I felt that the protocol was not optimized for my particular circumstances. It seemed like all patients get pretty much the same protocol with just the medication amounts changed. I had done some reading online about diminished ovarian reserve, and there were a lot of opinions that birth control should be used sparingly for DOR patients, whereas Dr. Moore wanted me on them for 5 weeks. I sent him a note asking whether this was the right protocol but never heard back. I wished I had refused to go forward until hearing his justification for that protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
I would not recommend the U of U clinic if you have a more complex fertility problem, as I don't think they have the most cutting edge protocols.
Describe the protocols Andrew Moore used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I was on birth control for five weeks, then Gonal-F, Menopur, and Saizen. I started Cetrotide on day 6 and triggered at day 8. They retrieved 6 eggs, did not do ICSI, and 2 fertilized. Both made it to day 5, although 1 was only a morula. We transferred the blastocyst and I had a positive pregnancy test, but a miscarriage at 8 weeks. The morula did not survive to day 6 for freezing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Moore at University of Utah.
$8,900 for the IVF cycle (no ICSI). The medications came to about $5,000.
SLC
I really like all of the nurses that I have been in contact with [at University of Utah]. They are all knowledgeable and kind...It was about $15,000 with meds for our first round. It was about $20,000 with meds for our second. That was a 3 cycle guarantee one so we just paid for meds for our third. We are going to do another frozen transfer and that will be around $4,000 with meds...I would say that scheduling is definitely the most frustrating thing for me with the clinic. I also don’t love that there isn’t really any care given once you have finished the cycle. I like the care throughout the process though.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
He is good at making feel at ease whenever we are around him. He is very candid about the science side of things, but will also give his opinion or view:
I really like all of the nurses that I have been in contact with. They are all knowledgeable and kind.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The one thing I don’t love about going to Dr. Peterson is that they work as a team of doctors so it isn’t always the easiest to see him. We want him to do our frozen transfer this next time and will have to wait four months for him to do it. It also took us four months to get in for a consultation. So, it going to take us eight months from when we first reached out to the doctors office. They are really really busy there, but it is worth it to wait for us because we want to be working with him. We like him and feel most comfortable with him.
He can be kind of blunt and to the point, which is something my husband and I like about him, but he can also be very compassionate and warm. So, if you don’t want some bluntness, and only want warm fuzzies, maybe he isn’t the doctor for you. You also need to be willing to wait a little longer for treatments or be willing to see another doctor on the team.
I did 2 retrievals and 3 transfers and that was a couple of years ago so I honestly couldn’t tell you specifics, especially since 1 was a frozen transfer so the protocol was different. I took Menopur, Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. The upped all of these and added HGH on my second retrieval. I also did the progesterone each time. I also get on a birth control for the month before injections each time.
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
He clinic [U of Utah] was fine for me. It is a teaching hospital/clinic so students are around often. If someone is uncomfortable with a student assisting or watching you had to let them know. Also, there is a large team of doctors so you will likely see all different doctors if you don’t make it clear that you want to see the same one every time.... We spent (including medications) between $12,000-$16,000 for each round of IVF.
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
He clinic was fine for me. It is a teaching hospital/clinic so students are around often. If someone is uncomfortable with a student assisting or watching you had to let them know. Also, there is a large team of doctors so you will likely see all different doctors if you don’t make it clear that you want to see the same one every time.
He remembered details about us and our lives. He would ask us how things in our lives outside of fertility were going. He really got to know a little more about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee-Sheri)
She was kind and easy to get in touch with or talk to. I felt that my husband and I were rare cases but we spoke with our Dr more than we did nurses.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
We never got the results we wanted from seeing Doctor Peterson, never had a healthy pregnancy or delivered a baby. However we had a very positive and encouraging experience. He was kind and caring. He went out of his way to do all he could for us.
If you don’t understand what he is explaining to you, just ask and he’ll find a way to make sure you understand. He is brilliant and knows so much that I had to remind him that I didn’t always know the basics. We loved working with him.
We did our first round of IVF with a pretty standard protocol because all testing results pointing to that. I hyper stimulated and had to have a freeze all cycle at the last minute. He was fabulous about my after care. We then did a frozen transfer of 2 embryos which yielded what appeared to be a twin pregnancy. It ended with a miscarriage which again, he handled our aftercare greatly and encouraged us to do another round. We did another fresh cycle, antagonist cycle with HGH. It looked to work well and we transferred an embryo that looked like it should work. Unfortunately it did not.
We spent (including medications) between $12,000-$16,000 for each round of IVF. It was around $3,000 for the frozen cycle. We wanted to do a cycle guarantee but were denied.
He seemed to prefer single embryo transfers but gave us all the information we needed to make a proper decision. He supported us when we chose to transfer 2 embryos, and I know he would not have let us make a decision that was not healthy. I knew he’d make sure we couldn’t make a bad decision.
2012 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
I met with several different nurses [at University of Utah] and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!... I like that when I go in I don't know people there. Infertility can be difficult especially if you have to explain it to others! They were very respectful of privacy, and didn't make a big deal out of small things.
2012 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Erica was very kind, quick to respond to emails, answer our questions and give us excellent advice.
I met with several different nurses and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She seemed very calm and sure. The only thing that I could complain about was her ice cold hands and her "limp-fish" handshake. Haha, but other than that she was kind and happy and gave us great confidence in her and the clinic.
If you choose to see Dr. Johnstown, you will be in good hands...cold hands, but good hands. ;) She will take good care of you. Be optimistic and hopeful, it's all worth it!
I started with a birth control cycle, I think that it lasted a couple months, then we began the hormones to prepare my uterus for a frozen transfer. After a couple ultrasounds, things looked really good and we transferred our last embryos. The embryos we're not of the great quality, so we transferred all 3. Knowing that perhaps a couple might not make it. We were thrilled when we found out we were pregnant!! After 10 days we got to see the tiny embryo and knew that one had made it! I saw my regular obgyn after that at 8 weeks and at 13 weeks. At my 18 week check up we were saddened to discover no heartbeat and a loss of the baby. :( possibly an umbilical accident or an embryo problem. It was heartbreaking. I let Dr. Johnstown know and she was so kind. I felt better after reading her emails.
Appointments just to visit my Dr were about 450.00 frozen transfer cycle costs came to about $5000.00 total. Most if that is for the medications.
She was so good to let us decide. She gave us all the information and left it up to us. I love that she didn't pressure us in any way.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Overall, this clinic was great. The staff was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. At 8 weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily. I called the clinic and they got me in for an ultrasound the very next morning to make sure everything was fine. The doctor on call was so kind. After our ultrasound and everything looked good, she scheduled us for another a few weeks later for peace of mind....We did a guarantee program. We paid $16,000 for one fresh cycle and two frozen of IVF with ICSI. This cost covered appointments, ultrasounds, retrivial, transfer, and shots administered at the clinic. It did not cover medications. I believe we paid around $3,000 for shots and other drugs. The guarantee program did not include the extra ultrasounds I had after I became pregnant.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The only downside, is that the clinic is up by the University of Utah in Salt Lake. I live in Riverton so the driving back and forth so many times was tiresome. Overall, this clinic was great. The staff was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. At 8 weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily. I called the clinic and they got me in for an ultrasound the very next morning to make sure everything was fine. The doctor on call was so kind. After our ultrasound and everything looked good, she scheduled us for another a few weeks later for peace of mind.
Dr. Moore was always straight forward but kind. He always let us know what to expect. Him and his staff were readily available when we had questions. In fact, on the night of our trigger shot for IVF, we were unsure of the dosage and were able to reach him at home to confirm the correct dosage. I would definitely recommend Dr. Moore and the U of U fertility clinic to a friend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi was great at making sure you knew what to do and what was coming next. She was really straight forward. At first, I thought she was a little cold, but as I got to know her better I realized that was just her personality and that she is a great nurse!
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore was great! He was kind. He was frequently running a little late because he will take extra time with his patients to answer any questions that they may have. Once, the receptionist had mis-typed that our appointment was supposed to 15 minutes instead of 45. Dr. Moore didn't have us reschedule, he made the time to meet with us for the 45 minutes and answer our questions.
Be patient. He may be running late but that is because he is taking good care of his patients.
In our first appointment, he looked over our past tests and suggested that we have another semen analysis completed. The analysis came back showing low sperm motility. From there he suggested a sperm penetration test. That test came back negative. He suggested that we skip IUI or regular IVF because of the results of the test. Thus saving us money in the long run. We did IVF w/ICSI. I was on birth control pills for one month prior. From there, I began taking Menopur then added citrotide. (I can't remember the exact dosage). I went in for an ultrasound every other day during this time to measure my follicle growth. On day 11, I took a trigger shot of HCG and Lupron. A day and half later, I had my retrieval where they retrieved 15 eggs, 9 of those eggs fertilized and 5 made it to day 5. After retrieval, I began taking Crinone (progestrone) and estrogen which I continued until week 10 of pregnancy. We did a day 5 transfer. All of our embryos were average quality. We decided to only transfer one at the encouragement of our doctor. After transfer I was given a dose of Lupron to encourage implantation. This cycle resulted in pregnancy and I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy.
SLC
I tried talking to the nurse [at University of Utah], Dr Moore himself, the office manager, everyone in the office about how awful their service was and how I was not getting adequate treatment. In the moment they always apologized and assured me that things would get better, that theyd get back to me more promptly, that things would change and they NEVER would! I tried to be patient and give them the benefit of a doubt to fix things, but I felt like it got to the point that they just wrote me off and didnt want to help me anymore.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
If you're going to go to the U, DONT go to the Orem office! Ive listed all my concerns answering other questions in this survey.
It wasnt so much that I felt like a number, it was more that I coulsnt ever get the care I needed in a timely manner.
Annie could never do anything in a timely manner. It took her over a week to return any of my phone calls or messages, and when she finally did, it was 1 sentence answers, but never the answers to my questions. (Its all documented on their online portal!) She very rarely knew the answers to any questions I had but she would never find out from someone else for me. She couldn't get my shots ordered or preauthed on time, I had to direct her on what to do most of the time, she never knew what she was doing!! Whenever I voiced my concerns with her ABOUT her, she always acted like she felt so bad for me that I was being treated so bad, like it wasnt HER fault I was having all these problems! I tried to be so patient and understanding with her, but it was like beating a dead horse. I think if it wasnt for her, I would have stayed at their clinic, because I really did like Dr Moore until he started blowing me off. I had talked to other nurses in their slc office who were always so prompt and helpful but they always had to redirect me back to Annie because he was Dr Moores nurse. SO FRUSTRATING!!!!
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
In the beginning, we LOVED Dr Moore! He was treating my aggressive endometriosis to prolong another surgery and to prep for eventual conception. He gave me lots of options, but everything went downhill when he started me on Lupron. Lupron causes horrific side effects when first started and has to be injected in a timely manner to be effective. Out of the 6 injections I had, only 1 OF THEM was on time, which led me to have all these horrific, yet TOTALLY AVOIDABLE side effects. His nurse either couldnt get the injection ordered on time, preauthed in time, really simple and EASY tasks, and would take up to 1 WEEK or longer to get back to me about ANYTHING! I tried talking to the nurse, Dr Moore himself, the office manager, everyone in the office about how awful their service was and how I was not getting adequate treatment. In the moment they always apologized and assured me that things would get better, that theyd get back to me more promptly, that things would change and they NEVER would! I tried to be patient and give them the benefit of a doubt to fix things, but I felt like it got to the point that they just wrote me off and didnt want to help me anymore. Ive worked in healthcare for over 10 years so I understand how it works, and I'm an easy going, patient and understanding person at drs offices BECAUSE of that. But this was just assanine at how terrible the service was. I tried everything! I was only supposed to be on Lupron for a few months, but because I couldnt ever get my shots on time, we had to keep starting over. And almost a year and a half later with injections, I still lost my tubes. Whether that was because the Lupron couldnt so its job due to lack of getting injected on time, or what I dont know. But I had perfect tubes when I first saw Dr Moore, and I lost them by the time I was done seeing him, and it will haunt me forever being robbed of my chance to conceive naturally and will always wonder if it was because of my experience there. So whether this was because the nurse didnt have adequate training, support to do her job, or was just that bad at her job, I dont know. But I am so mad at myself for staying under his care for as long as I did, and am hurt that even though I was so patient with them and their constant errors, they eventually stopped caring about treating me and I suffered the ultimate price because of it.
If his nurse is still Annie, DONT go there and waste your time!!
We were trying to treat my endometriosis to prep for possible fertility treatments. It started with Progesteronen but that wasnt aggressive enough so we started Lupron to avoid another surgery. Thats as far as I got with him and then went to another Clinic because of such terrible service.
My insurance paid for my injections so I only had co-pays and a deductible to meet.
Describe Andrew Moore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We didnt get that far.
2006 - 2012
10 IUI, 6 IVF, Egg Freezing (cancer), Embryo Freezing
The clinic [U of Utah] is very busy. You don't necessarily see the same doctor every time. You can't expect that they remember everything that is going on with you.... Professional, well run, but too big to always keep track of what I needed. It is very nice to have everything there and not have to get parts done anywhere else. Within the clinic, I was a number. [Nursing Staff] Good at each part of administering items. Some instructions on meds an shots were not clear
2006 - 2012
10 IUI, 6 IVF, Egg Freezing (cancer), Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Professional, well run, but too big to always keep track of what I needed. It is very nice to have everything there and not have to get parts done anywhere else. Within the clinic, I was a number. I went to a smaller clinic after this and liked the feel a lot better.
The clinic is very busy. You don't necessarily see the same doctor every time. You can't expect that they remember everything that is going on with you. I had to review it alot.
Good at each part of administering items. Some instructions on meds an shots were not clear Very helpful in the office. Did not always follow up on my individual needs after we were out of the office.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is smart and thorough. He is not warm fuzzy and talks a lot about statistics and "take home baby rate". I appreciate direct numbers and statistics, but I often felt like we weren't talking about something that was real for us and trying to produce an actual baby for us. On the other hand we had 3 unsuccessful IVF attempts before the 4th one worked. On a couple of the unsuccessful ones, he personally called us and expressed his sympathy. In that case he was very warm and loving. I would trust him and go to him again, but he is very statistic oriented.
Don't expect to have a warm experience but expect a good experience
This was 10 year ago, so I know things have changed since then. They were not big on forcing the blastocyst then and so I think we transferred our embryos earlier that we could have.
I don't remember the details (we have done IVF 6 times)... $10,00-15,000.
He is very big on transferring as few embryos as you are comfortable with. He is not big on multiples.
2005 - 2012
When I first started going to the U [U of Utah] it was all in the maternity unit. It’s all in its own private department now, all confidential, run smoothly & they care so much about you & your outcome. It’s the best place you would ever want to be.... They were confidential in bringing you into private offices & talking to you about your own specific plan & dates & what to expect & when to come back & if you had any questions. They always seemed happy, knew you by name & still to this day do.
2005 - 2012
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
When I first started going to the U it was all in the maternity unit. It’s all in its own private department now, all confidential, run smoothly & they care so much about you & your outcome. It’s the best place you would ever want to be.
Very personal, he wanted to get to know me & my husband & help us solve why we were not able to get pregnant
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very personal, & has a good bedside manner. He knows what he is doing & I trust him. I started under his care & was put on rotations but because of him I now have 7 children. He is an excellent doctor & I would recommend him to anyone. I have recommended him to several people who have gone through this same struggle as I have & have felt like they didn’t know where to go. Matthew is the answer & the right doctor for anyone. He is the best & I'm so grateful for him.
Trust his decisions & respect what he is doing. He knows what is best for you.
(This was a long time ago)I used lupron, shots under my belly button, follistim, shots around my belly button, & then the “peanut butter” shot in the muscle part of my bottom (HCG?) pregnancy with 4 fresh cycles, one frozen cycle did not work
I don’t remember each component. I just know that it’s expensive & it’s worth it & I would do it all over again!
Matthew felt that I needed to transfer 3 embryos my first try because my chances of getting pregnant were very low. Even after the embryos took my percentages were low resulting in a miscarriage but later found out I was actually pregnant with twins!
PCOS, Unexplained
I think their great! When you check in their friendly they [U of Utah] have a sysytem down for everything even if your just getting an ultrasound they make sure your comfortable even the tech Evelyn is so sweet and personable I don’t feel I have ever waited more than five minutes they get you in fast... He made sure to utilize my insurance as much as possible so far I’ve only had to pay about 300 which is still a lot but he tries to make sure it’ll work
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I think their great! When you check in their friendly they have a sysytem down for everything even if your just getting an ultrasound they make sure your comfortable even the tech Evelyn is so sweet and personable I don’t feel I have ever waited more than five minutes they get you in fast
He is so nice and genuinely interested in your life he asks about our daughter wants to see pictures always willing to listen to any concerns
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah is a dream! She is out going and makes sure you feel important and will explain things over and over if you need them never felt rushed
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He first came in asked about us, hobbies, kids family goals and was interested in it all explained what would be best honest and just so sweet he made sure you understood what he meant and what he was saying
Honestly schedule now!! He’s so good and gets booked up I regret not going sooner he really is the best my husband even loved him!
He first started with my thyroid levels and wanted to get that more regular then he started with metformin to help with blood sugar as well as weight management he was honest about loosing weight but never made me feel dumb or embarrassed he made sure I knew what medicines would do whag
SLC
The entire clinic [University of Utah] felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.... We have had a few mixups with medications, and labs being ordered. But the staff was kind and seemed knowledgable, just not all the way put together.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The entire clinic felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was in and out of the appointment quickly. Felt more like the answers to our questions should have been obvious, and he just wanted to move onto treatment and not discuss things as much.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Just know that he's not going to be the most compassionate, but is known for being the best male-factor infertility doctors around.
Describe the protocols James Hotaling used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct. I've continued taking it once my counts improved, as we continue treatments for my wife.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Hotaling at University of Utah.
I don't really remember costs. They seemed to be as we anticipated for specialist visits. The medications prescribed have been reasonably priced.
James Hotaling
SLC
It was difficult to get an appointment [at Univ of Utah]. I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It was difficult to get an appointment, I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
I have good relationships with the staff at the fertility center. They are always friendly and helpful. I am mid treatment currently though
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
They are helpful and encouraging. Denise has developed a great relationship with my 1 year old son. She always calls and updates me and gen emails me everything we talked about which is wonderful to show my husband as he is at work every time she calls
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is always warm and friendly, makes us feel like she has time to explain everything to us. Which is important and makes us feel as at ease as we can. She offers options and talks us through what we feel is the best for us
Make sure to ask questions and that you understand your treatment plan. It puts you at ease and when you have an understanding as a patient it makes you feel like you are able to handle each step
Menopur, gonal-f to stimulate. cetratide to hell follicles mature. Trigger shot. This is where I am up to now.
Almost $11,000 for the ultrasounds, egg retrieval. $3500 medications $2800 embryo transfer $5000 PGS
We have chosen to do a single transfer if we get this far
SLC
They [University of Utah] are organized and are almost always on schedule. Never had to wait more than 5minutes. They are very friendly. They never make you feel like you are an inconvenience to them. They seem to have it all together, Love them!... Great nurses! They truly care about your journey in getting you pregnant. Communication is excellent. Even after your appointment they are great to reach out to you with test results and answer any questions you may have for them!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are organized and are almost always on schedule. Never had to wait more than 5minutes. They are very friendly. They never make you feel like you are an inconvenience to them. They seem to have it all together, Love them!
Love their clinic. They nurses are nice and care about you. They answer any questions you have. Once you leave they continue to communicate with you, which i love!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Such a great doctor. He cares and really knows so much about infertility. He always has a plan for each and every patient. I feel his staff are up to date with infertility treatments. As a patient I trust him to help us get pregnant.
Don’t be afraid to Ask questions! You will love him and his team.
We did 3 IUI each with Femara (fertility drug similar to clomid). Days 14-17 of cycle I would go in for ultrasounds. Once my egg(s) were ready we would do a trigger shot to force me ovaries to release an egg(s) then would follow that with an IUI 36 hours later. Out of the 3 Rounds of IUI with Dr. Petersen we had 3 failed IUI’s.
Each IUI was $600. They billed my insurance which surprisingly helped out a little, mostly with the ultrasound part of the procedure. Everything else was out of pocket for us.
3 IUI, IVF
The clinic [University of Utah] is great. Good atmosphere. Never running too far behind, so I’m usually not waiting long. I like that I can do multiple things in one visit in a timely manner. I can see a nurse, get my blood drawn and have an ultrasound in less than 30 minutes.... I know an egg retrieval round is around $10,000 plus meds. Embryo transfer around $3500 plus meds.... Denise and all the nurses are great and really good and responding to calls or emails. Denise explains things well and is very knowledgeable about IVF.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is great. Good atmosphere. Never running too far behind, so I’m usually not waiting long. I like that I can do multiple things in one visit in a timely manner. I can see a nurse, get my blood drawn and have an ultrasound in less than 30 minutes.
Dr Johnstone always asks how I’m doing and really listens. She’s helped me and answered all my questions and even consoled me while I cried. But what really impressed me about her is the way she treats my husband. She talks with him and asks him how he is doing and listens the same way that she does with me.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr Johnstone explains everything and gives me time to ask questions. I never feel like I’m wasting her time by asking lots of questions. She is compassionate and knowledgeable. Even when I’ve had failed rounds she personally calls and checks up on me. I always feel better after talking with Dr Johnstone.
Just go and talk with her. I never feel pushed to do something. She gives me options and choices and never is pushy. It doesn’t hurt to talk with her and see what she says.
I know on my current round we added a human growth hormone and did more Lupron.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
This clinic is very self sustaining within the University of Utah medical clinic, so much so that the switchboard was not always able to connect me to Dr. Stanford and they had trouble locating him in the system. It helps to have the direct line. Dr. Stanford is a specialty provider so he works with a unique methodology of care you would not be able to experience with any other provider at University of Utah and most other clinics.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Stanford was very personal and took every concern I had very seriously. He was easy to reach and his staff were very helpful as well.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford paid attention to every concern I had. He answered every question clearly and with compassion. He outlined what was happening, what would happen, and alternative plans if things went different than expected.
Trust the doctor, he knows what he is doing!
I had hormonal testing for a monitored cycle to check for imbalances including follicular tracking. We identified a luteal phase defect, poorly regulated cycles and not producing enough progesterone. I took progesterone in the luteal phase to prevent recurrent miscarriage. When I got pregnant again with the progesterone, I was able to carry my pregnancy instead of losing it early.
The costs are minimal because they are associated with dealing with pre-existing reproductive health problems which are causing infertility. Since the treatment is focused on dealing with underlying health problems, my health insurance covered all my treatment.
Describe Joseph Stanford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
This doctor does not perform IVF. He focuses on how to naturally achieve pregnancy without invasive procedures.
SLC
I really love the nursing staff here [U of Utah]. They reach out to you, and make sure that you understand what's happening...I love the staff here. I really like that the clinic is open on Saturday's, and that I can come in without skipping work. My biggest complaints would be that while most of their doctors are great, I have been to a couple that I would never recommend. They lack a little bit of consistency in their practices. The other complaint that I had is their facilities. The first time that we went their, we went to the hospital, and were impressed with how nice it looked. However, as we got closer and closer to the OBGYN clinic there, the worse it looked.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I love the staff here. I really like that the clinic is open on Saturday's, and that I can come in without skipping work. My biggest complaints would be that while most of their doctors are great, I have been to a couple that I would never recommend. They lack a little bit of consistency in their practices. The other complaint that I had is their facilities. The first time that we went their, we went to the hospital, and were impressed with how nice it looked. However, as we got closer and closer to the OBGYN clinic there, the worse it looked. For a facility that's known to be on the cutting edge, it doesn't look very cutting age, it looks like it's stuck in the 80's. If I hadn't had a good experience with the doctors, I probably wouldn't have gone back.
I really love the care that Dr Johnstone provided for both my husband and me. While she may not be available all the time, she has excellent staff. When we suffered our first miscarriage, we went to a different doctor that was horrible, but we spoke to the staff there, and she was able to make us an appointment to come in on Monday(the next business day) and talk to us about a plan, and double check that the previous doctor was correct. (He wasn't). She hadn't physically seen us in months, and was still able to remember the conversations that we had. She really seems like she cares about you as a person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
I really love the nursing staff here. They reach out to you, and make sure that you understand what's happening. They always get back to me when they say they will, and they are always so personable and seem to remember every detail about your health history.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I have really loved Dr Johnstone. She takes time to visit with you, and make sure every question that you have is answered. She is honest with you, and really tells you like it is, which I really appreciate. She's really hard to get in with, but she's awesome when you can.
Be candid and open with her. Expect her to be extremely open with you about exactly where you're at.
I started with 4 different levels of clomid, and 3 different doses of Femara, and then got pregnant, and miscarried. Still trying with Femara.
SLC
I think U of U is state of the art with their processes and fertility treatments. I think they can be more expensive than other clinics and less personalized in their approach. But they make up for that with being well run and very current on fertility procedures.... Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300... They were great overall. I sometimes wished I had a dedicated nurse or coordinator though.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
She is extremely kind and focused on your care. She made me feel special by really listening to me, and ensuring I understood exactly what the process was.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Her strengths are that she is very kind, soft spoken, and delivers information in a clear manner. She wants you to be comfortable with her treatment approach and strongly takes your opinion into consideration. Her weakness is that she is almost too nice. I look at her as the expert and wanted her to be more open about what she thought I should do. I think it's great to have options and to know ultimately my opinion will be heard and followed, but I appreciate her expertise and think she should more strongly state what her educated opinion is. That would have helped me make better decisions.
Be sure to let her know you consider her to be the expert, and that you want her educated opinion.
She started me out slowly by having me try Femara first, followed by Femara plus IUI, followed by IVF. She was willing to be as aggressive or as cautious with treatment as I wanted to be.
Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300
Not applicable
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
we've decided to stay at the U [of Utah] because of how great our experience has been with the clinic. The wait time is hardly anything, and the communication is excellent, which is very important to me....[Nurses] Very sweet and VERY responsive....Our IUI cycles were around 260 I believe + cost of ultrasound, and trigger shot with meds were less than $40. Surgery costs were as expected...costs at the U seem competitive with other clinics around us.
European, Latino
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Even though our doctor is moving clinics and we love her, we've decided to stay at the U because of how great our experience has been with the clinic. The wait time is hardly anything, and the communication is excellent, which is very important to me.
She was so kind and sweet and we really felt like she cared. We trust her very much!
Very sweet and VERY responsive.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
We loved Jessie. She made us feel very comfortable and we trust her judgement. We did 3 IUI treatments with her, as well as a laparoscopy after the 3 failed IUIs which diagnosed some Endo, and we had to have a tube removed. She took great care of us and her bedside manner was SO great! She always made us feel more relaxed, and hopeful.
She just recently left the U clinic, so she's no longer there :(
We did 3 IUIs - no known male factor based on semen analysis. First round 50 mg clomid cycle days 3-7 with Ovidrel trigger shot, then IUI after that. Negative pregnancy test. Second round switched to letrozol, 5 mg with ovidrel trigger shot, negative pregnancy test. 3rd round upped letrozol to 7.5 mg with ovdirel trigger shot, still negative pregnancy test.
Very reasonable. Our IUI cycles were around 260 I believe + cost of ultrasound, and trigger shot with meds were less than $40. Surgery costs were as expected. We're moving onto IVF in May, and costs at the U seem competitive with other clinics around us.
SLC
I never had to wait long for my appointment [at U of Utah]. They were great with scheduling and in passing along any info to my doctor. The only thing that was hard is that they don't allow children so some sort of childcare would be a nice addition. Other than that I have no complaints...The nursing staff was amazing. They made me feel comfortable whenever I came in. When I was nervous for IUI's or anything else they talked me through it and were comforting.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I never had to wait long for my appointment. They were great with scheduling and in passing along any info to my doctor. The only thing that was hard is that they don't allow children so some sort of childcare would be a nice addition. Other than that I have no complaints.
Dr. Dorais took as much time as I needed to answer my questions. I felt like she was really invested in helping me to get pregnant.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais was such a caring doctor. Infertility is a very hard and emotional thing to go through. She had sympathy for me and took the time to answer any questions I had. She drew pictures and was very detailed to help me to understand. When I had set backs she adjusted the plan. She was very responsive throughout the process.
Definitely see Dr. Dorais. I really loved her.
We started with clomid. I had a strong side effects so after one month we switched to Letrozole. We then added IUIs and did 3 of those. It was decided between me and Dr. Dorais to take a break to save money, and mentally prepare for IVF. We are now moving forward with IVF.
$1500 - for iuis and testing/ultrasounds
Dr. Dorais had a strong recommendation for a single embryo transfer instead of a multiple. She said that the research that is out there and my age she would just do a single embryo which I agreed with.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
They [Univ of UT] are very professional and research oriented, but not as warm as other clinics I have worked with. Sometimes the nurses communication style with a little bit terse for me. I felt as if they didn’t have a lot of time to answer my questions. There wasn’t a lot of personal connection with them.... The staff there is good, but they are very busy. I sometimes feel a little bit like a number.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very professional and research oriented, but not as warm as other clinics I have worked with. Sometimes the nurses communication style with a little bit terse for me. I felt as if they didn’t have a lot of time to answer my questions. There wasn’t a lot of personal connection with them.
Dr. Peterson learned about my family and my story. He always valued my intelligence and was clear about his opinion for best treatment.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson did a wonderful job of explaining to me why a single embryo transfer was the best choice for our family. He was respect full but firm about what research showed. I felt like I was in the hands of the most responsible for fertility specialist out there.
He is more conservative than a lot of specialist in the area, but he knows his stuff and you should listen to the advice he gives you.
He felt very strongly that we should do a single embryo transfer even though we had done a two embryo transfer in the past. He wanted to do a test transfer, which I wasn’t thrilled about. An endometrial scratch is supposed to be very painful, but it was nearly painless because he is so good at what he does.
The frozen embryo transfer was about $3500
Already stated.
SLC
The nursing staff [at U of Utah] was excellent! They were full of compassion, knowledge and I answered every question I had. I never felt stupid if I asked the same question each appointment. Their reassurance and positivity is essential and so helpful...I checked multiple clinics and they seem to be right in line and very competitive...I wish they had a yoga room so that we could go in and meditate and relax before procedures. Otherwise it was excellent.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr Link spent a ton of time with us and checked in with us along the way. All the nurses did a great job too.
The nursing staff was excellent! They were full of compassion, knowledge and I answered every question I had. I never felt stupid if I asked the same question each appointment. Their reassurance and positivity is essential and so helpful.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr link was compassionate and caring. She spent over an hour with us initially explaining what steps would occur. I thought that she was intelligent, well spoken and answered any and all questions. She is around 35 years old. Dr. Link Has an amazing bedside manner.
Know that you were not going to see her at each appointment.
Due to my age Dr. Link said we will try three IUI's and if they were unsuccessful we would move to in vitro in may. We would increase the Clomid as needed. Everything happened exactly as planned and the nursing staff was incredibly diligent in making sure I was comfortable with everything throughout the process. Because I was 41 after three IUI's in vitro was the next step and recommended in order to be more aggressive due to age.
Describe Megan Link's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Na
Megan Link
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
They [U of Utah] were very helpful when we had transfer our embryo's to our new clinic. It does take time to get into a specific doctor, but they try to fit you in as quickly as possible...All of my monitoring appointments were either in the morning before work or they were after I got off. They were very flexible to work with...It was roughly around $15,000-$17,000 for our fresh IVF cycle and that included medicine...
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
When I was a patient there, I was quite pleased with the clinic. They were very helpful when we had transfer our embryo's to our new clinic. It does take time to get into a specific doctor, but they try to fit you in as quickly as possible.
I loved Dr. Moore. He hadn't seen us in almost two years when we saw him last and he remembered us and was excited for us to do IVF again. When we did our fresh transfer with him, he made sure to answer all of our questions and made us feel like we had a voice in our treatments.
The little that I worked with Heidi, she was always very helpful. She would respond to emails within a few hours, which was always helpful!
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore, was just wonderful! We would have stayed with him if our insurance covered him and the clinic. He was just very understanding and seemed excited to work with us again. With our first fresh transfer he explained to us the risks of transferring two embryos and was very helpful.
If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask him. He is very thorough and goes over everything!
I have a blood condition that can lead to blood clots while pregnant, and he was very aware of this and made sure that I took extra precautions especially while I was on the extra hormones that are related to IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Utah.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
They [U of Utah] were upfront with costs and easy to work with. Quick to call with lab results and keep in contact with when needed. A friendly atmosphere. One weakness is that to get an initial consult it can take months. Strengths would be very professional and communication was open if you asked questions. The clinic was nice in that they could do everything there all your labs and procedures which made things convenient.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were upfront with costs and easy to work with. Quick to call with lab results and keep in contact with when needed. A friendly atmosphere. One weakness is that to get an initial consult it can take months. Strengths would be very professional and communication was open if you asked questions. The clinic was nice in that they could do everything there all your labs and procedures which made things convenient.
She took the time to explain things to me. I seen her at every apt. And she had a very caring nature about her.
They were kind and easy to deal with. I had more interaction with the doctor than her staff which I really enjoyed
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
She was the first fertility specialist I seen and She helped me feel at ease when I was in difficult situations. She performed my DNC for me as well as lots of testing. She was great at communicating my results, I just wish she would have been a bit more proactive in my treatment plan, kind of left things up in the air
Be willing to voice what direction you want to go with things. She is very sweet but ultimately lets you decide on things.
All that I did was take femera no real direction that was why I ultimately left her care. She didn't really monitor me during the cycles so I felt as though we still had no idea how my body was reacting to the medication
Everything had a cost that was known in advance before any treatment however I cannot remember what everything was.
2009 - 2012
The nursing staff [at Univ of Utah-SLC] was mostly great! One nurse was always very short and seemed grumpy, but I didn't have to work with her very often. The nurses were great about getting back to me quickly with medication changes and/or updates.... I thought this clinic was on the cutting edge of technology because they are at a research university, but I later realized that was not the case at all. I also didn't like that I never knew what doctor I'd be seeing or who would be doing my procedures, etc. The only good thing about this clinic is that the nurses were quick to respond when I left messages, etc.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Gibson at University of Utah?
Every time I went in, I saw a different doctor. I would ask questions and a doctor would flip through my chard and then I would be told they'd have to call me later because they didn't know for sure. It was really frustrating.
The nursing staff was mostly great! One nurse was always very short and seemed grumpy, but I didn't have to work with her very often. The nurses were great about getting back to me quickly with medication changes and/or updates.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?
How was your experience with Mark Gibson at University of Utah?
He was a funny guy, but didn't explain things very well. I had to ask a lot of questions about medical terminology. At the end of our treatment with him, he told us to use donor eggs. We got pregnant on the first cycle at a new clinic, with our own eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Gibson at University of Utah?
I would advise them to get a different opinion before following the treatment course he suggests.
Describe the protocols Mark Gibson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
We did IVF with him. I don't remember my medication dosage, but he told me they couldn't increase it any more. I went to a different clinic and got pregnant on the first cycle with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Gibson at University of Utah.
IVF was around $8500. I don't remember how much my meds were for that cycle.
Mark Gibson
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
[University of Utah is an] older clinic but I always felt it was clean and professional. The center on campus was a little harder to find but once I found it it was no problem. The staff was always very kind and professional. The area where they did the sperm sample was a little slow but not bad...Everyone I had come in contact with was kind and patient and very sincere in hoping for a positive and hoped for outcome.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Its and older clinic but I always felt it was clean and professional. The center on campus was a little harder to find but once I found it it was no problem. The staff was always very kind and professional. The area where they did the sperm sample was a little slow but not bad.
After all of our failed attempts I was discouraged and angry, the first question Dr. peterson asked me after our last failed attempt was how I was doing emotionally. He was concerned how I was handling everything. He wasnt concerned about $$ he was concerned about me. I appreciate that.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I loved Dr. Peterson. He was kind and I felt like he treated me the way he would treat one of his own family. My husband and I always felt welcome and never felt uncomfortable. He was the great balance of professional and personable.
He is like your dad. He will take care of you and treat you with respect and kindness. This is a hard thing to go through.
hahah it was all expensive. But when we started nothing was covered by insurance. Now every now and then we get something covered. It is all still very expensive
He is more worried about my safety and the baby than about anything else
SLC
I thought it was a good clinic [Univ of Utah-SLC]. I was comfortable there. I haven’t been to other fertility clinics so I don’t really have anything to compare it too. I thought they were professional and clean. The rooms were nice and the staff was great.... I thought they had convenient times to work around my schedule. They were very nice and seemed to run smoothly.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I thought it was a good clinic. I was comfortable there. I haven’t been to other fertility clinics so I don’t really have anything to compare it too. I thought they were professional and clean. The rooms were nice and the staff was great.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Bernhisel at University of Utah?
I thought he was very personalable and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah.
They explained the process very clearly and helped us understand the different medicines.
How was your experience with Marc Bernhisel at University of Utah?
I thought he listened to us and explained everything very well he made us feel comfortable and was very understanding. He was able to adjust my meds as needed so we could get our little girl. He took the time to listen to our concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Bernhisel at University of Utah?
Listen to all the options before you decide what to do. No two couples are the same so they can’t have the same treatment. Be prepared for it to cost a lot and take a long time so be patient.
Describe the protocols Marc Bernhisel used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I did the stim drugs and the first time I didn’t get very many eggs. The next time all of my meds were increased and new drugs were added. We doubled our eggs and had good embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Bernhisel at University of Utah.
I don’t remember.
Describe Marc Bernhisel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
I had a preemie so we only transferred one. We did PGS so we could transfer one good one.
Marc Bernhisel
2012 - 2017
I loved the location. It is so easy to access and is a very clean facility. I loved the whole staff [U of Utah] and all of the doctors that I interacted with. It is a fabulous clinic to work with and I would definitely recommend this clinic to anyone!... I believe the IUIs were about $300 and the IVF (including everything needed) was around $25,00.... I loved our main nurse, Lee Cherie, and all of the nursing staff!
2012 - 2017
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I loved the location. It is so easy to access and is a very clean facility. I loved the whole staff and all of the doctors that I interacted with. It is a fabulous clinic to work with and I would definitely recommend this clinic to anyone!
Dr. Peterson was very kind and sensitive to our needs. He was very personal and he truly listened to all of our worries and concerns. He answered all of our many questions in a professional and sensitive way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie)
I loved our main nurse, Lee Cherie, and all of the nursing staff! They were so professional and kind. They took good care of me, as I developed a serious case of OHSS.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
My husband and I love Dr. Peterson! He is an expert in his field. His many years of experience is evident. He knows just what to do and we felt 100% confident in his opinion. He also is a very kind person. He made us feel comfortable and calmed in such an emotional journey. We love everything about him!
Take notes beforehand of any questions you may have, just like with any doctor. Dr. Peterson listened patiently and answered all of my worries.
He was very good to inform us on the risks of transferring two.
SLC
There was one physician who brought in an intern without asking my permission and used some language I found a bit offensive (open your legs like a frog...) likely this was exaggerated somewhat because of the hormone therapy! But it's still such a sensitive time. I talked to the nursing staff [U of Utah] about it and they were sensitive and apologetic.... I believe the entire process including IVF with ICSI was about $11K...Very friendly. Listened to my concerns....
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
There was one physician who brought in an intern without asking my permission and used some language I found a bit offensive (open your legs like a frog...) likely this was exaggerated somewhat because of the hormone therapy! But it's still such a sensitive time. I talked to the nursing staff about it and they were sensitive and apologetic.
He was so personable and sensitive while also being realistic. We loved him!
Very friendly. Listened to my concerns.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
We felt he gave us great advice and handled our circumstances with care. He was very sympathetic and had great bedside manner. He listened to our feedback and made adjustments after we were all in agreement.
Be certain to communicate all your questions and concerns.
I don't remember the details but we tried hormone shots for retrieval and ended up canceling the cycle because we weren't getting the results we wanted. We then switched (perhaps eliminating the Lupron) to a different drug protocol and went forward with a retrieval and transfer.
I believe the entire process including IVF with ICSI was about $11K
I don't recall a strong preference but certainly lots of cautions about transferring more than two embryos.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Good communication and responded in an appropriate time frame. Availability worked well with my schedule. Flexible. Friendly front desk staff. I would recommend Utah center for reproductive medicine to anyone who is seeking good quality, and compassionate Care during this hard infertility journey...They billed my insurance correctly to minimize any additional costs and coded it related to PCOS and not necessarily infertility treatment...
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Jessie genuinely cares about her patients and their outcomes.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Jessie Dorais genuinely cares about her patients and their outcomes. If I didn't get the results we we're hoping to obtain we adjusted my treatment plan and were more aggressive with my medications the next cycle. I wasted too many cycles with a previous RE who didn't change my protocol month to month even after my body didn't respond appropriately. Dr Dorias listens and kept me informed.
Best decision I ever made was switching Doctors to her care. Two cycles later I got my BFP.
Comparable to other clinics. They billed my insurance correctly to minimize any additional costs and coded it related to PCOS and not necessarily infertility treatment.
SLC
The clinic [U of Utah] is very matter of fact. It feels like a doctor's office, and not in a good way. I would have preferred a more serene environment. The fees seemed high and a lot of billing issues came up. I would have preferred only seeing 1 doctor, but you get rotated through all of them.... They [nurses] rotated frequently between all the doctors so it was always someone different. I would have preferred the same nurse.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is very matter of fact. It feels like a doctor's office, and not in a good way. I would have preferred a more serene environment. The fees seemed high and a lot of billing issues came up. I would have preferred only seeing 1 doctor, but you get rotated through all of them.
She was very attentive to my concerns. She answered every question in a manner that we could understand. She never rushed us.
They rotated frequently between all the doctors so it was always someone different. I would have preferred the same nurse.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
She was very up to date on new procedures. She was very clear in her explanation of the whole process. She moved at our speed and what we wanted. She listened and advised based on what we were comfortable with. She encouraged us, struggled with us and just showed so much compassion.
To tell her everything you need, fear, expect, and are hoping. She listens so carefully.
It was 3 years ago and the specifics are fuzzy. But she was aggressive, but careful. I never felt unnecessarily poked or prodded.
I don't. For just the IVF, not all the treatments prior, was around 13k.
I was concerned about twins. They listened and only transferred 1 embryo.
SLC
It [U of Utah] was always clean and nice. There wasn’t always staff to greet you as you walked in but I didn’t mind that. They have many different offices to try to be more accessible to different areas. I loved that they had a pharmacy in house so you could get all the medications you needed.... My insurance covered like $1500 a year and so they used that money as wisely as possible. They also billed some things a certain way and my insurance paid some of it. They also were very upfront about what things would cost before they did them. I don’t recall the overall cost but to me it was worth it.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It was always clean and nice. There wasn’t always staff to greet you as you walked in but I didn’t mind that. They have many different offices to try to be more accessible to different areas. I loved that they had a pharmacy in house so you could get all the medications you needed.
He was so personable. He never rushed you. He took time to discuss options and helped you make the best decision for you. He also comforted me when he had to give me some bad news.
They were so sweet and sympathetic. Best nurses around.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I broke down and cried at one point because it is an emotional journey. He was so kind and compassionate. He remembered who we were and was so friendly and kind. He was very knowledable and I was 100% competent in his abilities.
I wish I had started seeing him earlier in my fertility process. He truly was great and was excited to help us start a family.
2009 - 2012
This clinic [Univ of Utah-SLC] wasn’t willing to be aggressive or up my doseage enough to get more eggs. We did another round of IVF but still didn’t get very many eggs. They said studies showed that increasing the doseage beyond the point I was at didn’t make a difference. I went to a new clinic shortly after that doubled my dose and we got pregnant on that cycle.... The nursing staff was always great at this clinic! One nurse was very short and seemed grumpy all the time but I didn’t have to work with her very often.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic wasn’t willing to be aggressive or up my doseage enough to get more eggs. We did another round of IVF but still didn’t get very many eggs. They said studies showed that increasing the doseage beyond the point I was at didn’t make a difference. I went to a new clinic shortly after that doubled my dose and we got pregnant on that cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kirtly Parker Jones at University of Utah?
While at this office, I would see a different doctor each time. When i would ask questions, no one would be able to answer them because they’d have to check with the previous doctor that saw me. I felt like no one knew what was going on.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?
How was your experience with Kirtly Parker Jones at University of Utah?
She rarely knew what was going on with my cycle when I saw her. She’d remark that she needed to ask one of the other doctors who saw me last time. It was frustrating to feel like no one knew what was going on with my cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kirtly Parker Jones at University of Utah?
Get an opinion from someone else. )
Describe the protocols Kirtly Parker Jones used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
IVF was the treatment. We used Follistim and Menopur with the first cycle and a higher dose of Follistim the second cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kirtly Parker Jones at University of Utah.
IVF was around $8500. I don’t remember exactly how much my meds were that cycle.
Kirtly Parker Jones
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Sometimes you have to wait a little bit longer in the waiting room. But it is usually because there are other procedures going on. Overall, I feel very welcome and calm at the clinic. It [University of Utah] is a very clean facility, but it is also smaller so you feel like more of a community. The waiting room as comfortable and everyone is very friendly.... They [nurses] are friendly and nice and respond to emails quickly
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Sometimes you have to wait a little bit longer in the waiting room. But it is usually because there are other procedures going on. Overall, I feel very welcome and calm at the clinic. It is a very clean facility, but it is also smaller so you feel like more of a community. The waiting room as comfortable and everyone is very friendly.
He always takes the time to answer my questions, he looks me in the eyes and I feel like he really cares
They are friendly and nice and respond to emails quickly
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Even though I have not gotten pregnant under his care I always feel like he has our best interest at heart. He really wants us to get the pregnancy we desire and he has not given up. He answers our questions and takes the time with him that we need. He makes me feel like he truly cares about my care
To trust what he says
I feel like he was very upfront and knowledgeable and the care that he provided. He also is very knowledgeable about the medications and such that he prescribed for us.
$15000
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
This [Univ of Utah] clinic seems like it has the best of the best. There are multiple sections and you can get all of your care in one place. You don’t have to go to multiple places for different procedures. Also the lab is on site... They [the nursing staff] are all extremely kind and sympathetic... Dr johnstone always called me and my husband by name and new our story. She was kind but straight forward with her information and she never treated me like another number in the clinic. She knew who I was as a person
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic seems like it has the best of the best. There are multiple sections and you can get all of your care in one place. You don’t have to go to multiple places for different procedures. Also the lab is on site
They are all extremely kind and sympathetic
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is extremely kind and knowledgeable. She knows what she is doing and will answer any questions you have. She is straight forward and helpful during all of the emotional times. I’m grateful she is my dr because she doesn’t beat around the bush. She explained different courses of actions needed for my case and gave me all the details for each one and gave me her best recommendation.
Ask lots of questions
Injections and ultrasounds are expensive. But you can find discounts by looking at different pharmacies
SLC
Top quality clinic! I feel like they [U of Utah] really know what they are doing and aren’t pushy! It has been hard to get appointments but that just shows me how many people trust them for treatments. The nurses call and email back within a day. I can be very paranoid and impatient and they were always very kind and patient with me whenever I had questions.... [Cost Of Treatment] Fairly comparable to other clinics.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Top quality clinic! I feel like they really know what they are doing and aren’t pushy! It has been hard to get appointments but that just shows me how many people trust them for treatments. The nurses call and email back within a day. I can be very paranoid and impatient and they were always very kind and patient with me whenever I had questions.
He took the time to sit down with us, get to know us, give us all of our options, and made recommendations from there.
Always friendly and responded quickly.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Very happy with all of my visits so far. He really knows what he is doing and we feel comfortable having him treat us. He has been very open about all of the options, costs, risks and possible outcomes. If we were ever questioning anything he recommended literature for us to read to learn more.
Book early. He is in high demand!
IUI with SIS. Moving on to IVF
Fairly comparable to other clinics.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
The costs [at University of Utah] varied depending on medications needed. IUI’s I think we’re $500-$1500 each. The IVF was $10k plus he cost of medications...We felt very comfortable in their offices and Dr Peterson was very knowledgeable and explained things very well to us. I’m grateful he makes time to come to a 2nd location a couple of times a month so that I didn’t have to travel 4 hours for each visit and had great doctors he partnered with for the IUI’s when he wasn’t going to be in town
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were great. We felt very comfortable in their offices and Dr Peterson was very knowledgeable and explained things very well to us. I’m grateful he makes time to come to a 2nd location a couple of times a month so that I didn’t have to travel 4 hours for each visit and had great doctors he partnered with for the IUI’s when he wasn’t going to be in town
Never made me feel rushed or like he was in a hurry.
They were good, but sometimes felt a lack of communication due to me being 4 hours away and not at their main office
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Great doctor! I did this from st George which is not his main office, he only comes down 1-2 times a month. He gave me his cell number and was always very kind / helpful / knowledgeable. I went to his main office 4 hours away for the egg retrieval and embryo transfer and he performed both.
Efficient
The costs varied depending on medications needed. IUI’s I think we’re $500-$1500 each. The IVF was $10k plus he cost of medications
My doctor was against transferring more than one embryo, but left the decision up to my husband and I.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
The costs here [at University of Utah] have been lower than expected...The IUI was only $360... It's friendly and run well... My wife underwent surgery and was diagnosed with Endometriosis. She also caught some things on my sperm analysis that our first doctor should have caught and we are now addressing that as well.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I liked the clinic. It's friendly and run well.
Dr. Dorais is very compassionate and very down to earth. She treats everyone like they are her biggest priority.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is a very good doctor. She is very knowledgeable and very kind. She was very good about answering any of our questions or concerns. She is very down to earth and compassionate towards a very sensitive issue.
Go see Dr. Dorais! She is a great doctor and I would recommend her to anyone.
We went into Dr. Dorais having been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. We wanted more answers before diving into IUI and IVF. Dr. Dorais was good about diving in deeper and investigating. My wife underwent surgery and was diagnosed with Endometriosis. She also caught some things on my sperm analysis that our first doctor should have caught and we are now addressing that as well.
The costs here have been lower than expected. They are lower than the last fertility clinic we were at. The IUI was only $360.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I don't see any issues with the clinic [University of Utah]...They [the nurses] were extremely helpful and always answered questions quickly...started me on clomid and letrozole which didn't work because I have PCOS and HA. She said the next step was that I could try a surgery or injectable medications...
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I don't see any issues with the clinic
She was so kind and really explained everything she wanted us to do. She was so helpful and made it easy to understand
They were extremely helpful and always answered questions quickly
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr Dorais doesn't have any negatives only positives. She was easy to understand and always made sure you knew all of the risks and steps you could take. She gave options and helped you choose the best path for you.
Stay positive
Dr Dorais started me on clomid and letrozole which didn't work because I have PCOS and HA. She said the next step was that I could try a surgery or injectable medications.
Oral medication was not expensive but the injections are very expensive especially when your body doesn't respond and you have to continue taking them
SLC
It seems like the doctors know their stuff. The clinic [U of Utah] is clean and orderly. Not very fancy. The medical staff is good. The office staff was ok.... The didn’t call me back when I followed the protocol for leaving a message when I needed an IUI that day. I had to call multiple times. Also they had the wrong name when they came to get me for a procedure.... one of the staff mentioned one of my family members that had come through the clinic.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It seems like the doctors know their stuff. The clinic is clean and orderly. Not very fancy. The medical staff is good. The office staff was ok. They didn’t respond to my message with a call back when I needed to schedule an IUI that day. I had to call back several times until I finally reached someone in the afternoon.
She was matter of fact and efficient, which I liked. However she often seemed rushed. Also not very sympathetic when I had a missed miscarriage. Like it was a normal part of her day, but it certainly wasn’t for me.
Nurses were good in person.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She was a good doctor. Nice enough, but not overly warm or sympathetic. I didn’t see her often as part of the IUI process. Usually a resident or nurse for most visits. She did a good job explaining things when she talked to me.
Be confident she knows her stuff.
Used Clomid with IUI. It was pretty straightforward and it worked.
Can’t remember exactly, but it was all listed online. My insurance covered ultrasounds.
SLC
This clinic [Univ of Utah] was organized and on top of my care. I feel that they could make it a more personal experience when going to the clinic. It sometimes felt not as personal as other clinics. I also feel like the environment was very sterile and not friendly.... IUI cost around 300 a time. Ivf was a base cost of 9000 with around 3000 in medications and another 3000 for frozen transfer.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic was organized and on top of my care. I feel that they could make it a more personal experience when going to the clinic. It sometimes felt not as personal as other clinics. I also feel like the environment was very sterile and not friendly.
Dr Dorais was always there for questions I had. I never felt rushed during visits and she reached out to me multiple times to make sure everything was going well and that we were on the same page.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr Dorais was wonderful! I felt like she communicated very well and was informative about all the potential risks. I always felt at ease when I met with Dr Dorais. She adjusted the plan of action whenever things needed to change. During difficult conversations, she was very sensitive to my feelings and was always very understanding! I would recommend her to anyone!
Trust her!
SLC
The clinic [University of Utah] is welcoming and comfortable. Sometimes you have to wait a little longer than expected but that is because of the nature of their procedures. Overall, I feel comfortable and safe in that environment...I love all the nurses at this clinic. They are all kind, informative and prompt with their responses...She [Dr. Jessie Dorais] is very attentive, warm and engaging...She did two of my hysteroscopy surgeries and she was always very attentive and informative.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is welcoming and comfortable. Sometimes you have to wait a little longer than expected but that is because of the nature of their procedures. Overall, I feel comfortable and safe in that environment
She is very attentive, warm and engaging
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
I loved her! She did two of my hysteroscopy surgeries and she was always very attentive and informative. She made me feel like she knew me and remembered me and was very kind and comforting and compassionate .I always felt like she had my best interest in mind. I would recommend her to anyone I meet
She is great!
I saw her for a few are you wise after my hysteroscopy and polypectomy surgery. I did not become pregnant during any of the IUIs
Not sure
2013 - 2016
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Lee Sherie [nurse at University of Utah] was amazing , I requested her because I was confident in her abilities. She was also so kind and sensitive...Dr Peterson was always very kind and understanding. He answered all my questions, gave me his number so I could call him. I always felt confident in his care. He always presented all our options and risks. I will forever be grateful for his wisdom and care.
2013 - 2016
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I really was pleased with our experience at the U of U clinic. Dr Peterson is the best of the best. We did try a different doctor there who is no longer with them, he did not compare to dr Peterson.
Dr Peterson always said we were family and have advice as he would if I was his daughter
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Sherie)
Lee Sherie was amazing , I requested her because I was confident in her abilities. She was also so kind and sensitive .
Go!
I’m not sure I think our fresh was near 12K. The frozen transfers were around $2500.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing
I have loved the University of Utah! They have state of the art equipment and are willing to help answer questions and put you at ease...For the ICSI IVF it cost us about $10,000...With our first IVF, Dr. Moore was very sweet and honest about the procedure. He called me on the morning I was to go in for my embryo transfer and he told me that in order to get the best quality of embryo we would have to wait another day. The fact that he took the time to call me personally and not have his assistant call meant so much! We just went back into see him for our FET. He walked in and was excited to see us! He asked me how my previous pregnancy went and if I had any problems. He was very intent on listening to the questions that I had.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr Moore, took the time to explain the steps of going through IVF. He was very concerned for my care and my health.
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Go in with all questions that you want answered, he's very good about answering them!
For the ICSI IVF it cost us about $10,000
SLC
[University of Utah was] quiet. Organized. Friendly staff. During a cycle you see many providers...[The nursing staff was] super helpful and responsive. Invested in my outcomes.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Quiet. Organized. Friendly staff. During a cycle you see many providers.
Dr Dorais is very sensitive and compassionate. She is willing to explain all treatments in as much detail as needed. She did extra research specific to my situation. She called me to check in after a BFN.
Super helpful and responsive. Invested in my outcomes.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
I love Dr Dorais. Great doctor. Very knowledgeable and also very understanding and personable.
Be open with Dr Dorais about your concerns so that she can help make sure they are addressed.
Antagonist protocol. Gonal-f 150 per day and menopur 75 per day, for 11 days. Cetrotide for 4 days. Triggered with pregnyl. My dosages were relatively low because of high AMH and concerns around developing OHSS.
IVF cost included everything but meds all through monitoring, retrieval, transfer and beta.
2011 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
[Nursing staff at U of Utah] They were helpful and kind...[Treatment costs] 15,000ish...Dr Peterson is my miracle doctor. My fertility diagnosis wasn't good, yet he went forward with what I wanted- IVF using my own eggs. He also saved me and my twins when I had an emergency surgery at 8 weeks. I love Dr Peterson!...He was realistic yet optimistic. He was very kind and treated me like he remembered me and my family, even years later.
2011 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He was realistic yet optimistic. He was very kind and treated me like he remembered me and my family, even years later. I love Dr Peterson!
They were helpful and kind
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr Peterson is the best and is the most knowledgeable with the most experience.
Higher doses of medications to stimulate egg growth
15,000ish
I love my twins but I wish I had done an eSET the first time. The quality of my eggs were good and I was 26 years old. I had a complicated twin pregnancy and that was harder than infertility.
2012 - 2015
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
They [the nurses at University of Utah Fertility] are upbeat without being annoying. They hope for the best but know it doesn't always happen....Also, be patient if he [Dr Moore] is running behind. It's the sign of a good doctor!
2012 - 2015
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Moore was always very genuine with his care. He let us know the facts and went into detail on medical treatments. I'm glad he was (and is) our infertility doctor since I know he cares about us. When I miscarried, he was devastated with me and helped me with our next IVF cycle, which worked!
They are upbeat without being annoying. They hope for the best but know it doesn't always happen.
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore is very patient and treats every patient like family. Undergoing IVF was a very difficult experience for us and he was so patent and honest at every appointment.
Go with questions! Also, be patient if he is running behind. It's the sign of a good doctor!
2012 - 2013
None, Other
Dr. Keye is practical and upfront. He is supportive but not extremely warm. He is friendly and answers all questions...Dr. Keye was very realistic about the success rate related to my age (I was 35) but was also supportive...About $2500.00 for one round of artificial insemination including all tests and medication...Appointments are at two different clinics but the organization between the clinics is great.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Keye at University of Utah?
Friendly and efficient
How was your experience with William Keye at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Keye at University of Utah?
He is very straightforward. If you need a warm fuzzy Doctor that is not his strength
Describe the protocols William Keye used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
i was given 5 days of clomid and a shot
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Keye at University of Utah.
William Keye