Genetic counseling: Offered
South Jordan
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
801-213-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?

2017 - 2019
each time I specifically asked to speak with Dr Johnstone, she contacted me personally. When you have her time, she is 100% focused on you and takes the time to answer each question...She is sympathetic and has a great bedside manner. I do wish we would’ve exhausted all possible options to attempt to diagnose my unexplained infertility, but I understand the limitations due to insurance and clinic guidelines and recommendations. She is very knowledgeable and is aware of all published research and updates in infertility, and is happy to discuss them with you...she is constantly reviewing your chart and notes and messages. If you need to reach her, she is available.
The nurses at UCRM are well educated and informative. They will consult with your RE if you have a question they aren’t sure how to address. Unfortunately I had a few instances of unanswered messages and phone calls that resulted in me calling the after hours on call physician for clarification on a trigger shot timing and cycle procession. Sometimes your questions are answered in a few hours and other times it’s 24 hours plus...Strength: experienced providers and nursing staff. CAP approved Andrology and embryology laboratories. Evidence-based practice. Weakness: university-based setting, so you’ll have fellows performing ultrasounds and IUI’s. Frustrating lack of communication with nurses and your primary RE at times. You have to be your own advocate- do not depend on anyone but yourself to remember specifics or your history, even if they are performing an ultrasound or IUI.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone takes as much time as is needed to answer all of your questions. She is sympathetic and has a great bedside manner. I do wish we would’ve exhausted all possible options to attempt to diagnose my unexplained infertility, but I understand the limitations due to insurance and clinic guidelines and recommendations. She is very knowledgeable and is aware of all published research and updates in infertility, and is happy to discuss them with you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Even if you don’t see Dr. Johnstone at every appointment, know she is constantly reviewing your chart and notes and messages. If you need to reach her, she is available.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
The clinic is very busy and you’re often seen or educated by other providers (ultrasound tech, nurse, other doc on call). However, each time I specifically asked to speak with Dr Johnstone, she contacted me personally. When you have her time, she is 100% focused on you and takes the time to answer each question
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
The overall strategy was to try clomid and IUI for a few cycles. This resulted in one chemical pregnancy. We moved to letrozole with GonalF after issues with thin lining due to clomid. This change resulted in a single intrauterine pregnancy, which resulted in miscarriage at week 11 due to trisomy 18. We had a hysteroscopy and then 3 more medicated IUI cycles with letrozole and gonalF, all of which failed. We are moving to IVF next.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
IUI are $360 Ultrasound for monitoring IUI are $230 (cash) PLUS a $50 office visit fee (new in May 2019) Consult with Dr. Johnstone around $200 depending on length and if it’s a follow up visit. Moving to IVF this cycle. Estimated costs of retrieval and embryology, PLUS embryo biopsy is $10, 830 Not including meds ($4-8,000) Frozen embryo transfer is $2,720, does not include meds ($600-800)
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
I did not have an embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I had to call or message repeatedly to have prescriptions called into the pharmacy. Nurse failed to follow up with me regarding proceeding of IUI based on over stimulation. I had to call the after hours on call physician for clarification
Salt Lake City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.

2020
[Dr. Link] said since I have PCOS resulting in anovulation that Letrozole is better then Clomid. She explained there is about a 10% chance the first cycle that increases by about 10% each cycle and we would use this for 6 months. If not pregnant by then, it would be switching to injections of LH and FSH with ultrasound every 2-3 days since I’m my case my brain my not be sending enough signal to my pituitary gland to actually make the hormones. So far I have done 2 cycles of Clomid with no pregnancy but my ovulation tests are getting darker so I think it will happen.
[The nurses at University of Utah are] Very friendly! I had to call like 4 times after my appointment about the HSG because my insurance and they were so sweet and prompt...My insurance paid nothing. I had the consult and a transvaginal ultrasound at my first visit. It cost me just over $600...Great clinic! Easy to get ahold of, great staff all around, they have a “no kids policy” in the office which is great since people are struggling with fertility. They can do Transvaginal US on spot at your appointment if needed
2020
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Megan was extremely compassionate. She understood I had been though so much already and was willing to ready my giant folder of records in the room with me. She took the time to draw out on a piece of paper exactly how the reproductive system should work, and where the breakdown with mine is likely happening.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Megan Link at University of Utah?
Take your records with you if you have them. If not no advise her she is so amazing
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Megan was the most AMAZING doctor anyone could ask for. She was extremely friendly, explained everything about my situation in detail I couldn’t have gotten from researching it myself. She didn’t once make me feel uncomfortable or like it wasn’t a possibility to get pregnant.
Describe the protocols Megan Link used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Megan said since I have PCOS resulting in anovulation that Letrozole is better then Clomid. She explained there is about a 10% chance the first cycle that increases by about 10% each cycle and we would use this for 6 months. If not pregnant by then, it would be switching to injections of LH and FSH with ultrasound every 2-3 days since I’m my case my brain my not be sending enough signal to my pituitary gland to actually make the hormones. So far I have done 2 cycles of Clomid with no pregnancy but my ovulation tests are getting darker so I think it will happen.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Great clinic! Easy to get ahold of, great staff all around, they have a “no kids policy” in the office which is great since people are struggling with fertility. They can do Transvaginal US on spot at your appointment if needed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Megan Link at University of Utah.
Describe Megan Link's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Salt Lake City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Megan Link at University of Utah.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The plan [with Dr. Megan Link] was definitely single embryo transfer. We felt like we were well educated on the risks of multiples and why they recommend single transfer. And then we had two poor morulas and we decided to transfer both. I really appreciated the flexibility and personalization that went into this joint decision making...I received personal calls from her when the results weren't what we wanted. She sat with me and listened to me and genuinely seemed to care about me and my experience...She was warm, caring, and a great communicator. I felt that she was very invested in us and our journey. She explained things well and co-partnered with us in each step. She wasn't pushy or aggressive. She gently explained what her recommendations were and WHY that was her recommendation. But decision making felt like a partnership (e.g. transferring 2 morulas on day 5 without PGS, despite the initial plan being a freeze, then transfer cycle)
Lisa [nurse at University of Utah] was very responsive and kind. She did a lot of the communication and teaching which was great...we worked very closely with the financial coordinator who was amazing...Long wait to get into our initial appointment. That was hard, because we had already waited so long to be ready to take that step. The clinic was wonderful in helping me schedule early morning visits so that I could get to work after. I spent a LOT of time there, so it was wonderful that they were as flexible as they could be...The plan was definitely single embryo transfer. We felt like we were well educated on the risks of multiples and why they recommend single transfer. And then we had two poor morulas and we decided to transfer both. I really appreciated the flexibility and personalization that went into this joint decision making.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
She is busy - so I felt really good about researching basic science and principles prior to the visit, then having much deeper, personalized discussions in our visits.
Dr. Link was wonderful - I received personal calls from her when the results weren't what we wanted. She sat with me and listened to me and genuinely seemed to care about me and my experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa was very responsive and kind. She did a lot of the communication and teaching which was great.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
We were very lucky to have all costs covered by insurance. This is not something that the clinic had ever done before (we needed a gap exception from our insurance, as they were not in network), but we worked very closely with the financial coordinator who was amazing.
Salt Lake City

he [Dr. Joseph Letourneau] was ready to answer any questions we had and did a great job of explaining what was expected...He was very nice, he reviewed all of the facts...We really only had a few short minutes with him, but he didn't seem rushed. He re-explained everything clearly and his manner was very warm and confident...my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better. From there they suggested having my husband tested and then having my tubes tested if we are unsuccessful in gettting a pregnancy within 3-4 months. I have tried a similar treatment in the past with my OBGYN, so they would like to start there and then go forward.
entire team [at The University of Utah] was very caring. They had a great bedside manner...nurse practitioner explained everything to us, even drew pictures to help us understand the "why" behind the treatment...They set up lab work to eliminate any other underlying health issues I might have to determine if I have PCOS. From there, my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better.
How was your experience with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Today was our first consultation appointment. He was very nice, he reviewed all of the facts and agreed with the treats the nurse practitioner had just suggested to us. We really only had a few short minutes with him, but he didn't seem rushed. He re-explained everything clearly and his manner was very warm and confident.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Ask questions! If you have a question he will answer it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
His entire team was very caring. They had a great bedside manner. His nurse practitioner explained everything to us, even drew pictures to help us understand the "why" behind the treatment. We had our first consultation with Joseph M Letourneau, MD, and he was ready to answer any questions we had and did a great job of explaining what was expected.
Describe the protocols Joseph Letourneau used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
He set up a treatment plan for me after they diagnosed me with anovulation. They set up lab work to eliminate any other underlying health issues I might have to determine if I have PCOS. From there, my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better. From there they suggested having my husband tested and then having my tubes tested if we are unsuccessful in gettting a pregnancy within 3-4 months. I have tried a similar treatment in the past with my OBGYN, so they would like to start there and then go forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly)
We really liked the nurse coordinator. She explained everything, so much so that when she asked us what questions we had at the end of our visit, we couldn't think of anything. She even drew pictures for us to describe our situation. She was very kind, helpful and funny!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Pros for this clinic - they have several doctors to choose from. Working with the University of Utah health is really convenient. The myChart app is simple to use and easily connects you with your doctor. If you have any followup questions, they can easily see your message and get back to you within the same day sometimes. Cons for this clinic - Nothing so far. We have appreciated the level of care that we recieve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah.
Trigger Shot - $100 UltraSound - $200 Office Visit - $200
Describe Joseph Letourneau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We have not discussed this yet.
Joseph Letourneau
Salt Lake City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah.

Dr. Johnstone is very open. At first, she suggested an unmedicated IUI, but I voiced that my periods have been irregular so I'd like to do a medicated cycle--without hesitation, Dr. Johnstone agreed...This made me feel like Dr. Johnstone and I are on a team, working together rather than just relying on her...I had an IUI with donor sperm, Letrozole (to promote egg growth) and Ovidrel (to trigger ovulation.) The first IUI was unsuccessful so we are going to try two more rounds then consider IVF. (Hopefully we won't have to do IVF since I have no idea how we'll be able to afford it!)
I love that after each ultrasound [at University of Utah], I was able to meet with a nurse practitioner. It was very reassuring (especially since it was our first time doing IUI) to be able to sit down and walk through the plan and get a clear understanding of the process. The other staff, from check in to check out were very warm and accommodating...Thanks to the MyChart system, communication with staff & Dr. Johnstone is very easy. We only had one hiccup when trying to schedule an ultrasound during a holiday. Other than that, working with the scheduling team has been great.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
We only saw Dr. Johnstone during our initial consultation but I felt the nurses overseeing our ultrasounds & procedures consulted her every step of the way. Dr. Johnstone agreed that we would regroup and meet again if our 3rd IUI was not successful. During our consultation, she made me feel like my age wasn't a deterring factor and she couldn't see anything that would prevent us from having a baby. I don't like things to be sugar-coated and she gave us hope that felt grounded in reality. Realistic hope is so, so valuable.
Come prepared with questions. And if you have an opinion about your treatment plan, communicate that because Dr. Johnstone is very open. At first, she suggested an unmedicated IUI, but I voiced that my periods have been irregular so I'd like to do a medicated cycle--without hesitation, Dr. Johnstone agreed. Other doctors would have made me feel uneducated for suggesting something other than their initial plan. This made me feel like Dr. Johnstone and I are on a team, working together rather than just relying on her.
During my appointment, Dr. Johnston never made me feel rushed, she took the time answering all of my questions. She has a very warm demeanor while also providing excellent information.
I love that after each ultrasound, I was able to meet with a nurse practitioner. It was very reassuring (especially since it was our first time doing IUI) to be able to sit down and walk through the plan and get a clear understanding of the process. The other staff, from check in to check out were very warm and accommodating.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Initial consultation fee, initial blood work, 2 ultrasounds, andrology preparation fee, IUI
Salt Lake City

He [Dr. Peterson] is very knowledgeable as a doctor and I trust him with my infertility problems. However, I don’t think he specifically knows me and I feel a bit like a number. He is very smart and I believe though him I will be able to get pregnant and that is the most import to me. ... If you want a loving doctor that is there for you to spill your heart to, this isn’t your guy. If you want someone that is smart and you feel can get you pregnant and are confident in him then this is a great candidate.
Strengths are that they [U of Utah] are always using the best practice and doing research to make sure you are getting the best care. Weaknesses are that you don’t feel the loving side from the staff. Sometimes you feel more like a number. ... I would often send her [nurse] an email and ask her 4 questions in the email and she would only respond back to one of them. I would have to keep bugging her to get information from her. She made me want to switch clinics because she didn’t keep me informed. But I felt good with dr Peterson.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very knowledgeable as a doctor and I trust him with my infertility problems. However, I don’t think he specifically knows me and I feel a bit like a number. He is very smart and I believe though him I will be able to get pregnant and that is the most import to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I feel like by dr Peterson I was a human. But his staff sometimes treated me like a number. I will email the clinic with multiple questions and they only answer one. I have a hard time getting the information I need.
Describe the protocols Matthew Peterson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I have yet to get pregnant with him. I am still a patient of his so this isn’t for me specifically. I am doing IVF with ICSI. we also did a sperm biopsy. We will also be doing PGC testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Cherie Booth )
She want a good communicator. I would often send her an email and ask her 4 questions in the email and she would only respond back to one of them. I would have to keep bugging her to get information from her. She made me want to switch clinics because she didn’t keep me informed. But I felt good with dr Peterson.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths are that they are always using the best practice and doing research to make sure you are getting the best care. Weaknesses are that you don’t feel the loving side from the staff. Sometimes you feel more like a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.
11k IVF/ICSI 2.5k sperm biopsy 3-5k Medications 6k pgc testing with natera
Describe Matthew Peterson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Salt Lake City

You mostly see nurses... and only see Erica Johnstone when you're discussing next steps in a new plan. She is very knowledgeable. She knew I had PCOS within 5 minutes of talking with me, whereas other OBGYN's and another fertility doctor never even brought it up as an option. I'm so grateful to her for knowing what has been wrong with me this whole time!...We first started out with 2.5mg of letrozole, ovidrel shot after day 11 ultrasound. This is timed ovulation - my follicles weren't producing good enough eggs, so they increased my dosage to 5mg of letrozole. Then I was producing a good egg follicle. Once we did this for 4 months, we started IUI with the exact same procedure as above. I'm in my 2WW to see if my second IUI has worked or not.
They [nurses at University of Utah] are INCREDIBLE. Seriously they're the greatest ever. We can't say enough good things about them. They are caring, loving, kind, and compassionate. They explain everything very thoroughly and help us with whatever we need. If I email them they are very timely in their responses. They never make me feel dumb if I have a question...360 for IUI's, 380ish for ultrasounds...They are very organized. They always leave us with step by step instructions on what do to that month with our plan. They are very easy to reach by phone or email. They are all very loving and caring. They work hard to accommodate us.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
You mostly see nurses at UCRM, and only see Erica Johnstone when you're discussing next steps in a new plan. She is very knowledgeable. She knew I had PCOS within 5 minutes of talking with me, whereas other OBGYN's and another fertility doctor never even brought it up as an option. I'm so grateful to her for knowing what has been wrong with me this whole time!
Be prepared to see nurses more than her. Which is fine! :)
She has great bedside manner! Very personable, asked us personal questions about what we like to do. She seems to really care about us.
They are INCREDIBLE. Seriously they're the greatest ever. We can't say enough good things about them. They are caring, loving, kind, and compassionate. They explain everything very thoroughly and help us with whatever we need. If I email them they are very timely in their responses. They never make me feel dumb if I have a question.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
360 for IUI's, 380ish for ultrasounds.
none

Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
So we started our infertility journey a few years ago with Dr Johnstone ... We have done five IU eyes none resulted in a pregnancy we are now in the process of working with dr. Johnstone in beginning IVF in January. ... She has been so helpful in taking extra time for my husband and I when we asked lots of questions. ... Because I only have one ovary it is highly recommended to only do a single embryo transfer.
The University of Utah infertility clinic is amazing. ... working with the financial department with the infertility clinic has been very easy and smooth. Especially when dealing with finances it's always nerve-wracking to try and figure everything out. The staff in the finance department has made it very easy as well as very helpful to have the open communication with them on the different cost of infertility. Because our insurance does not cover most of the things that are taking place they have been very open and upfront with all of the costs so that we can plan for that.
Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
working with dr. Johnstone has been amazing. She has been so helpful in taking extra time for my husband and I when we asked lots of questions. Each time in our doctor appointments we always feel like we're able to ask all of our questions and not feel rushed or that we need to speed up our appointment time. She takes the extra time to answer things in a way that also helps us understand all of the medical terminology and things that are being discussed such as on the test report. she is very educated which allows us to feel very confident when she is answering our questions we've never have felt like we needed a second opinion or anything working with her.
one piece of advice I would give New perspective patience is to not be afraid to ask questions. Oftentimes we have heard many other infertility patients and friends of ours Express how they didn't feel like they got all of their questions answered or they felt like they didn't fully understand what dr. Stone that is not the case. She is very soft-spoken but she is very educated and is able to explain things on a much easier level. Especially with medical terminology sometimes it can be overwhelming to try to understand everything she is able to communicate very clearly what is going on and what things mean.
During our entire infertility journey we both my husband and I have been treated with so much love and care with Dr Johnstone the nurses and the clinic. We have been able to work through and discuss various things that would work for us. Each time after our appointment my husband and I would walk away feeling very hopeful.
So we started our infertility journey a few years ago with Dr Johnstone. We were able to start taking clomid and seeing how my body responded to it. after doing our first IUI and it wasn't a success we were able to sit down with Dr Johnstone and sit and talk with her about how my body responded and what things we can do different than next time. We were able to increase the dose of clomid. Before continuing though into the next IUI she wanted to make sure that my uterus and ovaries and Fallopian tubes all were working properly so she requested I get an MRI. It really was a blessing to have gotten the MRI because we were able to see that I do not have both of my ovaries. My kidney is in my right pelvic area resulting in only having one ovary. By only having one ovary it also causes your uterus to be half of the size. Having this information allowed us to be very cautious of when we were doing IUI making sure I was ovulating on my left ovary. having had this information had us feel more comfortable and confident and going into IUI procedures. We have done five IU eyes none resulted in a pregnancy we are now in the process of working with dr. Johnstone in beginning IVF in January.
all of the nurses that we have worked with have been amazing. They have all been very helpful through this entire process. Helping us set up appointments understand test results and even where we can go for additional information. They have been amazing to work with!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The University of Utah infertility clinic is amazing. There are so many different things that they offer at their clinic which helps especially if you're needing to do multiple things such as having your husband giving a semen analysis or having you have a procedure it's all done in one location. They have upgraded a lot of their machine so it gives more accurate picture and quality for ultrasounds. Overall the clinic is great.
Because I only have one ovary it is highly recommended to only do a single embryo transfer. Doing multiple embryo transfer transfer can result in a miscarriage of either one or both of the embryos. With this information both my husband and I will only be doing single embryo transfer each time in the IVF.
Salt Lake City

Dr Johnstone truly cares about her patients. She makes you feel like you are the only one that matters. ... She gives options, let’s you be a part of the decisions, and treats you like you are her only patient. ... Not only did she explain the statistics and studies of everything we did, she explained what she personally has seen and would even tell us pros and cons of each procedure. She never left us in the dark of not knowing what to expect.
They [staff at University of Utah] are compassionate human beings! They can understand what each individual patient is going through and that’s how they treat you, like you are the only one that matters. Very thorough in the treatment plan and explained everything with great detail. ... They [nurse] always greeted us with a smile and made us feel important. They do this all day long and it could become monotonous for them, but we never felt that way.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr Johnstone truly cares about her patients. She makes you feel like you are the only one that matters. She explains everything with great detail and makes sure you Understand before you leave. She gives options, let’s you be a part of the decisions, and treats you like you are her only patient.
Wait to see Dr Johnstone! We did and are so grateful that we did. She’s amazing!!
Dr Johnston is the most caring doctor we have seen. She takes the time to explain in every detail what you should expect from taking pills to staring Ivf. We felt like we were the only one that mattered.
They always greeted us with a smile and made us feel important. They do this all day long and it could become monotonous for them, but we never felt that way.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are compassionate human beings! They can understand what each individual patient is going through and that’s how they treat you, like you are the only one that matters. Very thorough in the treatment plan and explained everything with great detail.
My insurance covered a lot of the doctor appointments which was nice. All of the ultrasounds, IUIs, medications, HSG test, and a few others were not covered and we had to pay out of pocket.
She did explain the pros and cons of this to us. We were wanting to transfer 2 embryos but after hearing the research and studies we are okay with just transferring 1 when it comes time. She explained this in detail to us and we appreciate that.
Salt Lake City

He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] has a lot of experience and knowledge he was very open with me about his opinions. I felt like he was very trustworthy and optimistic. Overall I have appreciated his communication and concern which has been improved over prior doctors. All of my procedures have gone fairly smoothly with very little pain or side effects...He will want to try multiple things even if you transfer from another clinic, but if you are blunt and tell him what you want and think he will often be willing to compromise.
[The nurses at University of Utah] wasn't always prompt in answering all my questions. When I tried to explain a situation that may delay our FET she didn't seem to know how to respond and in the end our transfer was delayed due to the situation. Some more communication between the egg retrieval and transfer would have been helpful...most of my appointments were on time and in and out...The clinic is very busy and has many patients, there are definitely times you feel like a number when you explain your situation and then start IUI or another treatment and they want to proceed like they do with every other patient. I tend to have shorter cycles and have struggled getting the timing right for IUI.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He has a lot of experience and knowledge he was very open with me about his opinions. I felt like he was very trustworthy and optimistic. Overall I have appreciated his communication and concern which has been improved over prior doctors. All of my procedures have gone fairly smoothly with very little pain or side effects.
Be patient. He will want to try multiple things even if you transfer from another clinic, but if you are blunt and tell him what you want and think he will often be willing to compromise.
With IUI we tried the same medicines I had with prior ones, letrozole, and then ultrasounds to monitor growth near ovulation. UCRM also does sperm washing. The first attempt I only had one follicle and it showed early in my cycle so we did times intercourse. Attempt number two with meds I had three and we did and IUI but doctor Peterson was not the doctor on call that day. With my In Vitro we did egg retrieval and a freeze all cycle. We just barely transferred our first frozen embryo and are awaiting results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie)
She wasn't always prompt in answering all my questions. When I tried to explain a situation that may delay our FET she didn't seem to know how to respond and in the end our transfer was delayed due to the situation. Some more communication between the egg retrieval and transfer would have been helpful. But overall she has done a great job answering my questions and ensuring I know when and where to be and what medicines to take each day of my cycle.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Billing department is a major weakness. They would tell you one thing and then bill you for something else. I am paying for all my treatment out of pocket as our insurance won't cover us. Twice I felt like I needed to dispute an over-charge the first time I still ending up paying even though I felt wronged. The second one they did end up "writing off" my account but it took 4-5 weeks and speaking with several people. Other than that they are very friendly, helpful and most of my appointments were on time and in and out.
The initial consultation fee was 205.00. During the IUI process they would bill for each ultrasound, 230.00 then it was another 140.00 for the actual insemination the day of the procedure. They billed me again to consult with my doctor about IVF specifically but charged us 151.00. We paid 510 for the a Sonohysterogram. Then it was 9300 for egg retrieval (prescription were paid separately bought directly from the pharmacy). Then our FET was an additional 2700.
My doctor is very against transferring more than one embryo due to the risk of multiples in pregnancy. Due to my age and first time with In Vitro he would not budge on this issue.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
It was very hard to get the results of my frozen embryos on day 5. Due to my work schedule I missed the phone call and it took several phone calls, being transferred multiple times and speaking to three people before I was able to get someone to call me back and tell me how many embryos survived. As this is a high stress topic I was a little frustrated by it.
Salt Lake City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.

2015 - 2019
[Dr. Megan Link] is very kind, has a good energy about her, and loves what she does. I have always felt she is looking out for me and my best interest...She is very knowledgeable and willing to share and ease fears, frustrations, struggles, and educate you on anything... She really pays attention to who you are, how you are doing, what is working and not working, thorough with her responses and the information provided, gives great counsel and instructions on steps to take and what to think about.
This clinic [University of Utah] is very clean and organized. They are a busier clinic but work to ensure your needs are met and if there are any hiccups or problems they make you aware of them. The staff work together to ensure the best quality care for everyone. They strive to recognize you and know who you are...They [nurses] are open and honest with findings, needs, and mapping out procedures and medications needed. They ensure you know what to expect and what your responsibilities are before you leave your appointments.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Megan is the second doctor we have had during our IVF journey. I was nervous at first when our initial doctor transferred to a different practice. I thought that no one could be equal or compare to the doctor we had to begin our journey. We met Megan and I can say that she is amazing. She is very similar to our initial doctor in many ways which was a huge comfort. Megan is very kind, has a good energy about her, and loves what she does. I have always felt she is looking out for me and my best interest. She watched closely the process and steps being taken making sure no changes need to be made in medications, etc. She has also shown compassion during the hard times such as, our miscarriage and our two failed Frozen Embryo Transfers. She has sent me messages expressing her sadness and pain at the different losses we have experienced. Megan has also been supportive when we have taken breaks and given ourselves time to grieve, breathe, and evaluate next steps.
My advice is to be honest about things and ask ALL questions, even if you think they are silly. Megan will not disappoint in her response. She is very knowledgeable and willing to share and ease fears, frustrations, struggles, and educate you on anything.
Megan is very personable and has a warm, upbeat personality. She really pays attention to who you are, how you are doing, what is working and not working, thorough with her responses and the information provided, gives great counsel and instructions on steps to take and what to think about. Megan gives realistic timelines and prepares you for all and any possible outcomes. She takes her time and works to do what is best for you. If I were a number, I feel, she would not take the time to be thorough and get to know you and share or discuss all and any questions or concerns you have. I have never felt rushed or as if she was in a hurry to get done. She is genuine in all she does.
Estradiol - egg retrieval Estrace -- IVF Gonal F -- egg retrieval Lupron -- IVF - embyro transfer Progesterone -- IVF -- embryo transfer Ovidrel -- egg retrieval Cetrotide -- egg retrieval Menopur -- egg retrieval Saizen - egg retrieval Doxycycline -- egg retrieval-embryo transfer
The nursing staff is amazing and look out for you and your needs the entire time you are there and going through different procedures. They are very organized and work to ensure no further burdens on you as a patient. They are open and honest with findings, needs, and mapping out procedures and medications needed. They ensure you know what to expect and what your responsibilities are before you leave your appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very clean and organized. They are a busier clinic but work to ensure your needs are met and if there are any hiccups or problems they make you aware of them. The staff work together to ensure the best quality care for everyone. They strive to recognize you and know who you are.
$23,100 for one canceled round and one full round $2,550 for 7 IUI's $8,240 for embryo transfers $460 for semen/egg test $3,500 + for additional medications, office visits, unexpected procedures
We were completely educated about single vs multiple embryo transfers. From the beginning we came up with an overall plan on how we would move forward in using our embryos. This helped us to know what to expect moving forward. In all the planning an discussion the final approval was left to us as to how and when embryos would be used.
Salt Lake City

Doctor Peterson first did a consultation with me. Then I went in for a saline ultrasound to make sure everything looked good.... He had great bedside manner even when I was super nervous. He was very kind and gentle. He understood the risks of 2 embryos and explained why. There was nothing he was hiding and was very straightforward of what we were going to experience.
They [U of Utah] are well organized. They grab your insurance first thing and you have to pay the consultation out of pocket just in case insurance doesn't cover it. You also get your bills online then in your check. You can communicate with your doctor through my chart which is really nice.... The nursing staff was very kind and helped me know that doctor Peterson was kind too. Nursing staff answered questions I had that I felt embarrassed to ask a guy /doctor about.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Allow him to get to know you. Be open with him about your medical history.
He reviewed what Hotaling sent over from my husband and talked with me about our lifestyle. Asked what we had done so far and already knee my husband's medical history. When I went a second time he was understanding that I was nervous.
Doctor Peterson first did a consultation with me. Then I went in for a saline ultrasound to make sure everything looked good. He told me to take ibuprofen to help with cramps on my period and knew that we were waiting for the sperm retrieval. He explained to me the different scenerios about the sperm retrieval and suggested that we do genetic testing for my deafness and asked if that was something we wanted to pass down to our children.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are well organized. They grab your insurance first thing and you have to pay the consultation out of pocket just in case insurance doesn't cover it. You also get your bills online then in your check. You can communicate with your doctor through my chart which is really nice.
The costs with Doc Matthew Peterson was about 500-2500 with the consultation and saline ultrasound. He also mentioned that the IVF cost was going to be 14000. And that it would need to be paid in full before starting. He understood that we were still waiting for the sperm retrieval. He shares a lab with doctor Hotaling.
He wants to do a single embryo transfer because of my husbands medical situation from when he was born with bladder extrophy. He said twins may increase the chance of extrophy of an organ since it's a genetic thing.
Salt Lake City

He [Dr. Hotaling] was being very relatable and personable. He understood my husbands situation. His case is so rare that Hotaling was literally the only person in the state who could help my husband.... He told us that he read my husband's medical history. Asked some questions. He said we would have to do a semen analysis even though he knew it would be hard so he was thinking that the sperm might be in the urine.
The clinic [U of Utah] may not accept your insurance. That was the problem with us. We had to pay things out of pocket. They were understanding and let us use a credit card. They were organized and knew my husband's medical history. We didn't have to repeat ourselves to multiple people. They had a detailed survey for us to take to help figure out what was going on.... Our cost was about $500-$1000 for the consultation, tests and labs. We need another 2400 for the sperm extraction.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was very nice and discreet. Good bed side manner. Did not make things feel awkward. He understood our situation and that it was impossible for us to get pregnant without his help due to male factor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Be open with him and let him know everything so he can diagnose you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was being very relatable and personable. He understood my husbands situation. His case is so rare that Hotaling was literally the only person in the state who could help my husband. And our insurance didn't even cover Hotaling. He understood exactly what we needed to do.
Describe the protocols James Hotaling used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
He told us that he read my husband's medical history. Asked some questions. He said we would have to do a semen analysis even though he knew it would be hard so he was thinking that the sperm might be in the urine. If not we were going to have to do a blood test to see if his body was making sperm. If that was positive then he would have to do a sperm extraction. That's what we are waiting for next so we can move forward with IVF.
Everyone was friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic may not accept your insurance. That was the problem with us. We had to pay things out of pocket. They were understanding and let us use a credit card. They were organized and knew my husband's medical history. We didn't have to repeat ourselves to multiple people. They had a detailed survey for us to take to help figure out what was going on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Hotaling at University of Utah.
Describe James Hotaling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
He and another doctor had strong preference of 1 embryo transferred due to my husband's medical situation.
James Hotaling

PCOS, Unexplained
When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to....Started letrozole took 4 cycles and she explained the risks she explained clomid and how she thought letrozole would be a better fit. I started with 5mg and then was changed to 7.5 mg
They [U of Utah - nurses] were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.... They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags....They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
She was very direct and got to the point she seemed younger ( I dont know her age) but she was easy to connect with! She made sure I felt comfortable and made me feel she would do everything she could to make a baby happen for me
If you want action and the process to start she is your girl
I had previously been seeing an obgyn for 2 years. She didn’t put my on any medication and I felt I only spent a short amount of time with and I was wasting my time. When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to. She immediately started action and got me on letrozole the same day. I’m so glad I went to her. We are still in the process of working with her but I am very hopeful she will take the necessary steps to get me pregnant SOON!
They were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I would have more information on where to go inside the building because it was huge and I got lost. I would maybe ask for clarification as to where you were going. They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags.
They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered. The price they offer is cheaper then billing insurance. The cost hasn’t been anything crazy
I have not experienced this yet.

9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Peterson always takes he time to explain everything and never makes you feel rushed. The minute you start treatments with him, you have his personal cell number if you need anything... We did IUI a few times basically because it’s low cost and worth trying. When that didn’t work, we ended up going with an egg donor and IVF. We were pregnant the first time on both IVF cycles and both resulted in a live birth.
Everything about this clinic [U of Utah] is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy....Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that....Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with.
9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is the best doctor I’ve ever been to! He is very knowledgeable when it comes to infertility and I was confident that If anyone could help us get our children here, it would be him. He also has great bedside manner and is very open and honest about why he thinks you should or shouldn’t try certain treatments.
Book the appointment as soon as you can! Because he’s amazing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer and Danielle)
Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with. They were extremely helpful and so knowledgeable. We love them!!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everything about this clinic is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy.
Fertility is very expensive. Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that.
I was happy that he recommended only implanting one egg. Since the embryo quality was so high using a donor egg, our chances were very good to conceive and there can be a lot of complications with multiples.

2017 - 2019
He [Dr. Peterson] pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. ... when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects
They [University of Utah] are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything. ... the whole nursing staff was awesome! they would come in and explain the next step and take all your questions and if you email they get right back to you right away!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
he is the nicest guy ever! He pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. I honestly can't say enough good things about him! Everyone who goes to him loves him!!
Don't wait get in now! he is pretty booked but once your in his care he never lets you get forgotten! take your questions and concerns he will listen!
I LOVE LOVE DR PETERSEN! I was a little skeptical going to him but as soon as I was there and he came in he immediately made me and my husband feel so comfortable and genuinely cared about us he asked us about our daughter and wanted to see pictures and really acted like he cared to see it. He explained the whole process with us about where we start and offered suggestions on cost as well all in the first appointment
when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects, then I came back and he started me on chlomid as well as letrozle, and we did quite a few of that rounds then I went crazy on the clhomid and he even agreed not the best choice if we weren't getting our best results so he switched it up and made sure I knew all the risk of the gonal f injections as well as the price. he let me know that IUI is better than timed intercourse at this stage and now we just did the first round of gonal F
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi )
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything.
He finds way to see if your insurance can cover some like utlrasounds, medicine is anywhere from 12-400 and the iui are 360

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Link has been aggressive in my treatment but not so much so that I suffered any negative effects. I appreciate her stance on things like only transferring one embryo at a time but I also feel like she would hear me out of I truly wanted something different. ... Every interaction I have had with Dr. Link she has gone over everything in so much detail (even often making drawings and explaining medical terms and processes to me) and has answered all of my questions. As someone who meticulously researches things, I often have a full list of questions for her (and follow-ups to her answers) and she goes through each and every question with me and ensures I understand while not making me feel like I worry too much or ask too many things.
UCRM is very busy and sees a huge number of patients. I never felt like this lessened their care for me but I did mean I had to wait quite awhile to initially be seen and I generally have to schedule appointments fairly far out. As UCRM is based at a research institution (University of Utah), they are very research oriented and this sometimes does make me feel like their treatment options and protocols are more "in the box." UCRM has impressive statistics and I do feel that I stand the best chance of getting a baby by choosing them as my clinic.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
I've been seeing Dr. Link at UCRM for over 2 years now. From the very beginning she was so patient, kind and informative. I had a negative experience with a previous RE but Dr. Link has been the polar opposite to that person. Every interaction I have had with Dr. Link she has gone over everything in so much detail (even often making drawings and explaining medical terms and processes to me) and has answered all of my questions. As someone who meticulously researches things, I often have a full list of questions for her (and follow-ups to her answers) and she goes through each and every question with me and ensures I understand while not making me feel like I worry too much or ask too many things. My appointments have never been rushed and she makes sure I leave feeling empowered and ready for whatever is next. Although I have not yet gotten pregnant, she remains very positive while not sugarcoating the situation.
Ask whatever questions you have (no matter how small or detailed they might be) Dr. Link. She is wonderful about breaking things down and making sure her patients feel heard and are informed. Having all my concerns and questions answered has made this long process much easier.
From the start of my time with Utah Center of Reproductive Medicine I have felt that my needs and concerns were being taken seriously. My questions are answered in a timely manner and my treatment plan has been clear. I was concerned at first that such a large clinic based at a Tier 1 research institution would lead to me being treated as a number but this has not been the case whatsoever.
Dr. Link has been aggressive in my treatment but not so much so that I suffered any negative effects. I appreciate her stance on things like only transferring one embryo at a time but I also feel like she would hear me out of I truly wanted something different. My treatment protocol was dialed down as I was responding well and I appreciated this. I did not want to risk OHSS. After my first failed transfer, Dr. Link spend another appointment with me going over everything we did and my results. We talked about a plan of action for the next round and she also was very accommodating when I asked for additional testing and procedures (such as a hysteroscopy, which resulted in a removed polyp).
Lisa was my IVF nurse. She was very organized and kept in constant contact with me. I was so nervous that I was going to mess something up with my meds and waste thousands of dollars but she explained everything so clearly and answered all the questions I had throughout the cycle. The nursing staff in general at UCRM has been very kind and helpful. I have had a few nurses who seemed to lack some of the attention to detail I had gotten so used to and I had to be much more of an advocate for myself when dealing with them.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
All of my diagnostic costs were covered by my insurance. I paid completely out of pocket for all IVF expenses. My full IVF retrieval cycle was about $9000 (not including ICSI, which we did not do). Medications were another $4000. The clinic does offer a guarantee program which we will be using for our next IVF cycle. I found UCRM's prices to be reasonable but potentially higher than other local clinics. However, UCRM has better success rates, from what I can tell.
Dr. Link prefers not to transfer more than one embryo at a time. She went over her rationale for this and used scientific, research-based statistics for why she wants patients to only transfer one at a time. That said, I do believe that if I pushed for more than one embryo and had the medical rationale for it, she would be receptive to it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I had one negative experience with a nurse (Jennifer S.) who I had to call back multiple times before she got me the information I needed. As such, an appointment for a procedure that should have been scheduled right away after a consultation I had with Dr. Link took MONTHS to schedule. There was absolutely no reason this needed to be the case. The nurse was not good at communicating with me and put the blame on others. I came very close to reporting her to Dr. Link and to this day I dread having to work with her again. But again, this did not taint my overall experience with UCRM.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I am frustrated because she [Dr. Johnstone] never really explained why she thought we were going through infertility. It was just let's try this and then go to the next step. I think everyone who goes through infertility struggles with how long things seem to take, and I felt the same way, but I don't think it had anything to do with her personally. It was just my body and waiting for the next cycle. ...
I do like the fact that I can communicate with them [University of Utah] and usually get a response within one day. The Nurse Practitioner Sarah has been amazing, and she helped me after the miscarriage and understanding my feelings, etc. ... They were difficult to get into, but I think that's because of only one of their Drs. is covered under Select Health so it took some time before I could get in to see her. You won't have the same person do your IUIs, it's just whoever is there that day.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I am frustrated because she never really explained why she thought we were going through infertility. It was just let's try this and then go to the next step. I think everyone who goes through infertility struggles with how long things seem to take, and I felt the same way, but I don't think it had anything to do with her personally. It was just my body and waiting for the next cycle.
Do your research and ask for an OAR test to be done to know where you are starting out.
Her staff has been great to respond to me, and they took the time to answer my questions. When I did my first IUI and got pregnant, I kind of panicked because I didn't think it would happen that easily. However, I miscarried at 6 weeks, and she was wonderful to talk me through things and my options.
I had been doing Clomid for almost a year at the recommendation of my OBGYN when I met with Dr. Johnstone. I had an HSG test done before going to see her and my husband had a semen analysis, he had started Clomid about three months before we saw her. She recommended switching to Femara, and then doing an IUI. I got pregnant the first try, and then later miscarried. I then went in later and they found I had some cysts that I needed to get rid of before we did another IUI, so I went on low dose birth control and then two months later was ready to do another IUI, we stayed with Femara 5mg for days 3-7, no triggers shot or anything different for the next four. Two of those, my husband's motility and count were quite low. So that is why we did two more. I then was frustrated and went to see another Dr. and decided to take a break from IUI for a few months before going back in. I am now scheduled to go back in at the end of March to possibly move to IUI with Gonal F and Ovidrel.
They have been great, I only had one problem with a nurse that had the wrong patient information as she met with me.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were difficult to get into, but I think that's because of only one of their Drs. is covered under Select Health so it took some time before I could get in to see her. You won't have the same person do your IUIs, it's just whoever is there that day. I didn't mind that though, but I hadn't been anywhere else either. I do like the fact that I can communicate with them and usually get a response within one day. The Nurse Practitioner Sarah has been amazing, and she helped me after the miscarriage and understanding my feelings, etc.
My IUIs were either $360 or $370 each, depending on if it happened on a weekend.

2015 - 2019
When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician. ... He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. ... When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor.
I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings [University of Utah]) ... Heidi [nurse] is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue. ... Letrozole instead of clomid (I have pcos and clomid will likely create more cysts than good follicles) Hcg trigger shot to have more control over when I ovulate to plan IUI accordingly. Then progesterone starting the day after IUI to thicken lining and promote implantation and prevent miscarriage.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He’s incredibly intelligent and very well educated in his field. His been the chief of OBGYN services and definitely knows his stuff. I feel nothing but confidence in him. When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician.
Sometimes you have to wait. But I promise if you’re patient, it’s worth it. One time he felt so bad about our wait that he offered to take my husband’s stitches out so we didn’t have to drive 20 minutes to go get it done. Anyway, my advice? Wait. And if you can get an earlier appointment, you’ll wait less hahaha but again it’s worth it because he takes his time with you!
He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor. We’re just not as lucky this time. Still hopeful and still using him as our physician.
Heidi is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is almost always open which is helpful! I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings)
140 for my monthly trigger shot and 360 for each IUI. Plus 30 for my compounded progesterone (monthly)
Not there yet. Meeting with him next month to discuss our next step since the last 3 IUI’s didn’t work.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!... He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
The billing department [at Univ of UT] has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed... The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750... [the nurses are] All very nice and organized. They are considerate to our travel concerns and work with us!
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The only weakness we have is that he is 400 miles away from us. He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
Come with questions! He’s an open book!
He spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!
I had had a child previously and so we were seeing him for MFI. We had met with his partner, Dr. Hotaling who helped us get my husbands sperm via biopsy and now IVF is our only option with frozen sperm. We then did a “normal” cycle with gonal f, cetrotide and menopur. All was the lowest dose and we ended up with three embryos. We implanted one and it never took. We then did a frozen cycle with our last two embryos and one took and one did not. The one grew until 6 weeks 9 days and we miscarried at 8 weeks 4 days. We have just retrieved again and have 5 frozen embryos! We are so excited for April to come our way so we can implant two more embryos! ❤️
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The billing department has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed
The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750
Our first cycle we did one embryo and then we did two the second time, and we got pregnant with the second cycle with one.
Salt Lake City

Dr. Berga is extremely kind and I would trust my life with her. She always made sure that my husband and I understood each step along the way, and assured we were comfortable, not just with the process, but the outcomes, both good and not so good. I would go to her time and time again.... Dr. Berga is really amazing at what she does, and I say this because she is extremely knowledgeable, but also makes a point to sit down and get to know you. Since she takes the time to do this, she talks to you like she would a good friend whom she cares about. From the moment my husband and I met her, we knew we were in the best of hands.
The clinic [Univ of UT-SLC] is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.... The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.... We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000
How was your experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Make sure to ask questions! Dr. Berga is more than willing to take the time necessary to assure you know everything you want to know.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Sarah Berga used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I am currently in the beginning stages. We have started birth control. We are planning on doing an agonist protocol.
The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Berga at University of Utah.
We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000.
Describe Sarah Berga's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Dr. Berga prefers to do an elective single embryo transfer. She prefers this for several reasons. I am 28 years old, and my eggs are very healthy. Due to my age , Dr. Berga explained that I will have a high success rate. She also explained that with multiple embryo transfer, we are lowering the success rate for our overall transfers (if we do more than one). I also have a smaller frame, and to become pregnant with twins, while a blessing, would be very demanding on my body, and we are looking to prevent that.
Sarah Berga
Salt Lake City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Link is brilliant. She is so smart. She really takes the time to explain what is happening / what may happen. I saw her before my IUIS, after we failed them and now as we wait to start ivf. I feel like she is being as aggressive with my treatment as I allow. She takes the time to hear my concerns as well as take my input. She’s a breath of fresh air. I know she is doing her best to get me the results we want ( get pregnant and carry to term) .
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic [University of Utah- SLC] offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell... Sara was the NP I saw after all my ultrasounds. She always took time with me to make sure I understood the outlines plan . She was always on top of things and always was quick to get back to me with answers to questions.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. She will explain them!
Dr. Link is so kind. She spent serious time with my husband and I. She made sure all my questions were answered. During difficult procedures she made sure there were properly trained staff available to help me through discomfort. She has a calm demeanor. She also gave me contact information for all the people who I might need to be in touch with for the next step. She’s prompt about responding to my emails. I feel like I’m a priority with her care.
We started with letrozole. Maybe 5 mg on days 3-7. I responded for a while and then didn’t. So we increased it to 7.5 and stayed steady there. I always ovulated . Then again I stopped. At this point we were just doing TIC. I’d go in for an ultrasound on day day 11-13. After a few more months I stopped ovulating even with the 7.5 mg letrozole and the metformin. We added clomid to the mix and lowered my letrozole. My side effects ( hot flashes) were so bad I asked to be taken off. We finally are up to 10 mg letrozole and 1000mg metformin. I triggered for 1 of our TIC and for al 4 of our IUIs with ovidrel. Always 36 hours before procedure. I added progesterone only to my last IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This place is great. It’s just about finding the Doc that best meets your needs. Once that was set I was golden . It’s ok to shop around or transfer care. I did. I’m so happy I found a doc that fit my needs
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell
My docs prefer to do eset. They believe it’s safer and that the outcome is more viable than multiple transfers

Endometriosis, Other
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person [at University of Utah- SLC] and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.... My first visit with Dr. Stanford was scheduled half with my husband and half with me. It was around $600 for the whole consultation. My last visit was a follow up since the birth of my daughter and was $200. I've emailed him on the portal so many times since though and he's managed a lot of my care and pregnancy prescribing progesterone that I didn't have to pay for.
Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is an expert in dealing with infertility in a way that works cooperatively with your body through the use of NaPro technology, which is a restorative medicine approach to working with infertility and other issues. This respects woman's bodies and helps treat the underlying issues. It's beautiful and it works! He is so kind and really cares about you as a patient and works to help meet you where you are to accomplish your goals. Highly recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Be open to working with other treatments that you might not be familiar with. It's not IVF but works to treat the underlying issues of what is causing your infertility. It's so worth it! So be patient!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford was interested in me, who I was, what I was doing and my overall health and wellbeing. He took time in his visits and never seemed rushed. He explained things well and was open to my inquiries about other options.
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I took progesterone in the second half of my cycle due to a luteal phase defect. I was on low dose naltrexalone (which I forget exactly the reason but something about it being an anti-inflammatory for endometriosis?)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
Joseph Stanford
Salt Lake City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Joseph Stanford] looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model... is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
The nurses [at University of Utah] show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs...The clinic is clean, the staff is friendly and they provide you drinks while you wait. The mychart is easy to use and their is minimal paper work. I would strongly recommend this clinic. They have an inviting environment and the wait times are short. They communicate with you if they are running behind and worked with me when I was running late. They will make sure to reach your doctor if needed.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is empathetic and he takes his time to answer all your questions and concerns. He treats his patients as individuals and you can tell he cares for you. He gets back to quickly in my chart and calls to check on you. He is thorough in his diagnosis and treatments and he includes the patient and their partners.
This is the most thorough doctor you will ever find and his turn around time and follow up is most impressive. You will not regret doing fertility with Dr. Sanford.
Dr. Standford is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
He looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model.
The nurses show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs.
$200
Joseph Stanford

2016 - 2019
You need to learn early how to work the system to be able to communicate with him [Dr. Matthew Peterson], which is through his nurse. His focus is on getting you pregnant, not figuring out why you are not...He wanted to keep trying IUIs because I was able to have my son with IUI #1 and could technically get pregnant with IUI #2...I didn’t feel like he addressed my specific issues. There wasn’t much testing done to diagnose anything. He did sit down make sure to answer all questions, if you actually got him in person. He is also a very conservative Dr. and didn’t want to too many eggs for IUI.
I dealt with a lot of different nurses [at University of Utah] and it was especially confusing when I would email one person and hear back from three different people/nurses...I had a nurse tell me to specifically go in to a lab for an important blood draw and it ended up being closed causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety. Nobody ever acknowledged or apologized...Out of pocket IUIs $370...It seems so busy and hectic that you really can’t ever talk to the same person. I like the online mychart system for accessing test results and messaging. I also had one nurse give me incorrect hours of operation for one of the clinics locations and I went in for an important blood draw on a Sunday and was turned away after being told to specifically go in then. Nobody ever apologized or acknowledged the error. (Q121) which of the following did your treatment with the  include?
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
You need to learn early how to work the system to be able to communicate with him, which is through his nurse. His focus is on getting you pregnant, not figuring out why you are not.
I felt more like a number when I hardly ever got to see my RE in person even when they would say the appointment was with him. I also could never communicate with him directly and it was really frustrating.
On my first IUI I was successful with 2.5 mg letrozole ( 2 eggs)On IUI number two I miscarried after 2.5 mg letrozole ( 2 eggs). Trigger shot ( Ovidrel) was used in both of these about 34-36 hours prior to IUI. Then I had a D&C.I was unsuccessful on IUI’s 3-4 ( 2.5 mg letrozole/trigger), had an SIS done. Dr. P changed my protocol after #4 to add gonal F injections along with letrozole 2.5. I was unsuccessful with IUI #5 with the new protocol and am currently miscarrying after IUI #6 with same protocol. He wanted to keep trying IUIs because I was able to have my son with IUI #1 and could technically get pregnant with IUI #2.
I dealt with a lot of different nurses and it was especially confusing when I would email one person and hear back from three different people/nurses.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Out of pocket IUIs $370 each Letrozole and Ovidrel trigger shots ( $150+) gonal f=75/ shot, ultrasounds $200 after insurance, SIS $ ??
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I already explained but I had a nurse tell me to specifically go in to a lab for an important blood draw and it ended up being closed causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety. Nobody ever acknowledged or apologized.