Genetic counseling: Offered
South Jordan
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
801-213-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?

[The nurses at University of Utah] wasn't always prompt in answering all my questions. When I tried to explain a situation that may delay our FET she didn't seem to know how to respond and in the end our transfer was delayed due to the situation. Some more communication between the egg retrieval and transfer would have been helpful...most of my appointments were on time and in and out...The clinic is very busy and has many patients, there are definitely times you feel like a number when you explain your situation and then start IUI or another treatment and they want to proceed like they do with every other patient. I tend to have shorter cycles and have struggled getting the timing right for IUI.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Billing department is a major weakness. They would tell you one thing and then bill you for something else. I am paying for all my treatment out of pocket as our insurance won't cover us. Twice I felt like I needed to dispute an over-charge the first time I still ending up paying even though I felt wronged. The second one they did end up "writing off" my account but it took 4-5 weeks and speaking with several people. Other than that they are very friendly, helpful and most of my appointments were on time and in and out.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie)
She wasn't always prompt in answering all my questions. When I tried to explain a situation that may delay our FET she didn't seem to know how to respond and in the end our transfer was delayed due to the situation. Some more communication between the egg retrieval and transfer would have been helpful. But overall she has done a great job answering my questions and ensuring I know when and where to be and what medicines to take each day of my cycle.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He has a lot of experience and knowledge he was very open with me about his opinions. I felt like he was very trustworthy and optimistic. Overall I have appreciated his communication and concern which has been improved over prior doctors. All of my procedures have gone fairly smoothly with very little pain or side effects.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Be patient. He will want to try multiple things even if you transfer from another clinic, but if you are blunt and tell him what you want and think he will often be willing to compromise.
Describe the protocols Matthew Peterson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
With IUI we tried the same medicines I had with prior ones, letrozole, and then ultrasounds to monitor growth near ovulation. UCRM also does sperm washing. The first attempt I only had one follicle and it showed early in my cycle so we did times intercourse. Attempt number two with meds I had three and we did and IUI but doctor Peterson was not the doctor on call that day. With my In Vitro we did egg retrieval and a freeze all cycle. We just barely transferred our first frozen embryo and are awaiting results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.
The initial consultation fee was 205.00. During the IUI process they would bill for each ultrasound, 230.00 then it was another 140.00 for the actual insemination the day of the procedure. They billed me again to consult with my doctor about IVF specifically but charged us 151.00. We paid 510 for the a Sonohysterogram. Then it was 9300 for egg retrieval (prescription were paid separately bought directly from the pharmacy). Then our FET was an additional 2700.
Describe Matthew Peterson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
My doctor is very against transferring more than one embryo due to the risk of multiples in pregnancy. Due to my age and first time with In Vitro he would not budge on this issue.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.

2015 - 2019
This clinic [University of Utah] is very clean and organized. They are a busier clinic but work to ensure your needs are met and if there are any hiccups or problems they make you aware of them. The staff work together to ensure the best quality care for everyone. They strive to recognize you and know who you are...They [nurses] are open and honest with findings, needs, and mapping out procedures and medications needed. They ensure you know what to expect and what your responsibilities are before you leave your appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very clean and organized. They are a busier clinic but work to ensure your needs are met and if there are any hiccups or problems they make you aware of them. The staff work together to ensure the best quality care for everyone. They strive to recognize you and know who you are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Megan is very personable and has a warm, upbeat personality. She really pays attention to who you are, how you are doing, what is working and not working, thorough with her responses and the information provided, gives great counsel and instructions on steps to take and what to think about. Megan gives realistic timelines and prepares you for all and any possible outcomes. She takes her time and works to do what is best for you. If I were a number, I feel, she would not take the time to be thorough and get to know you and share or discuss all and any questions or concerns you have. I have never felt rushed or as if she was in a hurry to get done. She is genuine in all she does.
The nursing staff is amazing and look out for you and your needs the entire time you are there and going through different procedures. They are very organized and work to ensure no further burdens on you as a patient. They are open and honest with findings, needs, and mapping out procedures and medications needed. They ensure you know what to expect and what your responsibilities are before you leave your appointments.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Megan is the second doctor we have had during our IVF journey. I was nervous at first when our initial doctor transferred to a different practice. I thought that no one could be equal or compare to the doctor we had to begin our journey. We met Megan and I can say that she is amazing. She is very similar to our initial doctor in many ways which was a huge comfort. Megan is very kind, has a good energy about her, and loves what she does. I have always felt she is looking out for me and my best interest. She watched closely the process and steps being taken making sure no changes need to be made in medications, etc. She has also shown compassion during the hard times such as, our miscarriage and our two failed Frozen Embryo Transfers. She has sent me messages expressing her sadness and pain at the different losses we have experienced. Megan has also been supportive when we have taken breaks and given ourselves time to grieve, breathe, and evaluate next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Megan Link at University of Utah?
My advice is to be honest about things and ask ALL questions, even if you think they are silly. Megan will not disappoint in her response. She is very knowledgeable and willing to share and ease fears, frustrations, struggles, and educate you on anything.
Describe the protocols Megan Link used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Estradiol - egg retrieval Estrace -- IVF Gonal F -- egg retrieval Lupron -- IVF - embyro transfer Progesterone -- IVF -- embryo transfer Ovidrel -- egg retrieval Cetrotide -- egg retrieval Menopur -- egg retrieval Saizen - egg retrieval Doxycycline -- egg retrieval-embryo transfer
Describe the costs associated with your care under Megan Link at University of Utah.
$23,100 for one canceled round and one full round $2,550 for 7 IUI's $8,240 for embryo transfers $460 for semen/egg test $3,500 + for additional medications, office visits, unexpected procedures
Describe Megan Link's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We were completely educated about single vs multiple embryo transfers. From the beginning we came up with an overall plan on how we would move forward in using our embryos. This helped us to know what to expect moving forward. In all the planning an discussion the final approval was left to us as to how and when embryos would be used.

PCOS, Unexplained
They [U of Utah - nurses] were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.... They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags....They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I would have more information on where to go inside the building because it was huge and I got lost. I would maybe ask for clarification as to where you were going. They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags.
I had previously been seeing an obgyn for 2 years. She didn’t put my on any medication and I felt I only spent a short amount of time with and I was wasting my time. When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to. She immediately started action and got me on letrozole the same day. I’m so glad I went to her. We are still in the process of working with her but I am very hopeful she will take the necessary steps to get me pregnant SOON!
They were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
She was very direct and got to the point she seemed younger ( I dont know her age) but she was easy to connect with! She made sure I felt comfortable and made me feel she would do everything she could to make a baby happen for me
If you want action and the process to start she is your girl
Started letrozole took 4 cycles and she explained the risks she explained clomid and how she thought letrozole would be a better fit. I started with 5mg and then was changed to 7.5 mg
They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered. The price they offer is cheaper then billing insurance. The cost hasn’t been anything crazy
I have not experienced this yet.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Megan Link at University of Utah.

2017 - 2019
They [University of Utah] are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything. ... the whole nursing staff was awesome! they would come in and explain the next step and take all your questions and if you email they get right back to you right away!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything.
I LOVE LOVE DR PETERSEN! I was a little skeptical going to him but as soon as I was there and he came in he immediately made me and my husband feel so comfortable and genuinely cared about us he asked us about our daughter and wanted to see pictures and really acted like he cared to see it. He explained the whole process with us about where we start and offered suggestions on cost as well all in the first appointment
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi )
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
he is the nicest guy ever! He pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. I honestly can't say enough good things about him! Everyone who goes to him loves him!!
Don't wait get in now! he is pretty booked but once your in his care he never lets you get forgotten! take your questions and concerns he will listen!
when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects, then I came back and he started me on chlomid as well as letrozle, and we did quite a few of that rounds then I went crazy on the clhomid and he even agreed not the best choice if we weren't getting our best results so he switched it up and made sure I knew all the risk of the gonal f injections as well as the price. he let me know that IUI is better than timed intercourse at this stage and now we just did the first round of gonal F
He finds way to see if your insurance can cover some like utlrasounds, medicine is anywhere from 12-400 and the iui are 360

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I do like the fact that I can communicate with them [University of Utah] and usually get a response within one day. The Nurse Practitioner Sarah has been amazing, and she helped me after the miscarriage and understanding my feelings, etc. ... They were difficult to get into, but I think that's because of only one of their Drs. is covered under Select Health so it took some time before I could get in to see her. You won't have the same person do your IUIs, it's just whoever is there that day.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were difficult to get into, but I think that's because of only one of their Drs. is covered under Select Health so it took some time before I could get in to see her. You won't have the same person do your IUIs, it's just whoever is there that day. I didn't mind that though, but I hadn't been anywhere else either. I do like the fact that I can communicate with them and usually get a response within one day. The Nurse Practitioner Sarah has been amazing, and she helped me after the miscarriage and understanding my feelings, etc.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Her staff has been great to respond to me, and they took the time to answer my questions. When I did my first IUI and got pregnant, I kind of panicked because I didn't think it would happen that easily. However, I miscarried at 6 weeks, and she was wonderful to talk me through things and my options.
They have been great, I only had one problem with a nurse that had the wrong patient information as she met with me.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I am frustrated because she never really explained why she thought we were going through infertility. It was just let's try this and then go to the next step. I think everyone who goes through infertility struggles with how long things seem to take, and I felt the same way, but I don't think it had anything to do with her personally. It was just my body and waiting for the next cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Do your research and ask for an OAR test to be done to know where you are starting out.
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I had been doing Clomid for almost a year at the recommendation of my OBGYN when I met with Dr. Johnstone. I had an HSG test done before going to see her and my husband had a semen analysis, he had started Clomid about three months before we saw her. She recommended switching to Femara, and then doing an IUI. I got pregnant the first try, and then later miscarried. I then went in later and they found I had some cysts that I needed to get rid of before we did another IUI, so I went on low dose birth control and then two months later was ready to do another IUI, we stayed with Femara 5mg for days 3-7, no triggers shot or anything different for the next four. Two of those, my husband's motility and count were quite low. So that is why we did two more. I then was frustrated and went to see another Dr. and decided to take a break from IUI for a few months before going back in. I am now scheduled to go back in at the end of March to possibly move to IUI with Gonal F and Ovidrel.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
My IUIs were either $360 or $370 each, depending on if it happened on a weekend.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.

2015 - 2019
I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings [University of Utah]) ... Heidi [nurse] is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue. ... Letrozole instead of clomid (I have pcos and clomid will likely create more cysts than good follicles) Hcg trigger shot to have more control over when I ovulate to plan IUI accordingly. Then progesterone starting the day after IUI to thicken lining and promote implantation and prevent miscarriage.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is almost always open which is helpful! I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings)
He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor. We’re just not as lucky this time. Still hopeful and still using him as our physician.
Heidi is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He’s incredibly intelligent and very well educated in his field. His been the chief of OBGYN services and definitely knows his stuff. I feel nothing but confidence in him. When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician.
Sometimes you have to wait. But I promise if you’re patient, it’s worth it. One time he felt so bad about our wait that he offered to take my husband’s stitches out so we didn’t have to drive 20 minutes to go get it done. Anyway, my advice? Wait. And if you can get an earlier appointment, you’ll wait less hahaha but again it’s worth it because he takes his time with you!
140 for my monthly trigger shot and 360 for each IUI. Plus 30 for my compounded progesterone (monthly)
Not there yet. Meeting with him next month to discuss our next step since the last 3 IUI’s didn’t work.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The billing department [at Univ of UT] has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed... The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750... [the nurses are] All very nice and organized. They are considerate to our travel concerns and work with us!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The billing department has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed
He spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The only weakness we have is that he is 400 miles away from us. He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
Come with questions! He’s an open book!
I had had a child previously and so we were seeing him for MFI. We had met with his partner, Dr. Hotaling who helped us get my husbands sperm via biopsy and now IVF is our only option with frozen sperm. We then did a “normal” cycle with gonal f, cetrotide and menopur. All was the lowest dose and we ended up with three embryos. We implanted one and it never took. We then did a frozen cycle with our last two embryos and one took and one did not. The one grew until 6 weeks 9 days and we miscarried at 8 weeks 4 days. We have just retrieved again and have 5 frozen embryos! We are so excited for April to come our way so we can implant two more embryos! ❤️
The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750
Our first cycle we did one embryo and then we did two the second time, and we got pregnant with the second cycle with one.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic [University of Utah- SLC] offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell... Sara was the NP I saw after all my ultrasounds. She always took time with me to make sure I understood the outlines plan . She was always on top of things and always was quick to get back to me with answers to questions.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This place is great. It’s just about finding the Doc that best meets your needs. Once that was set I was golden . It’s ok to shop around or transfer care. I did. I’m so happy I found a doc that fit my needs
Dr. Link is so kind. She spent serious time with my husband and I. She made sure all my questions were answered. During difficult procedures she made sure there were properly trained staff available to help me through discomfort. She has a calm demeanor. She also gave me contact information for all the people who I might need to be in touch with for the next step. She’s prompt about responding to my emails. I feel like I’m a priority with her care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup)
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr Link is brilliant. She is so smart. She really takes the time to explain what is happening / what may happen. I saw her before my IUIS, after we failed them and now as we wait to start ivf. I feel like she is being as aggressive with my treatment as I allow. She takes the time to hear my concerns as well as take my input. She’s a breath of fresh air. I know she is doing her best to get me the results we want ( get pregnant and carry to term) .
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. She will explain them!
We started with letrozole. Maybe 5 mg on days 3-7. I responded for a while and then didn’t. So we increased it to 7.5 and stayed steady there. I always ovulated . Then again I stopped. At this point we were just doing TIC. I’d go in for an ultrasound on day day 11-13. After a few more months I stopped ovulating even with the 7.5 mg letrozole and the metformin. We added clomid to the mix and lowered my letrozole. My side effects ( hot flashes) were so bad I asked to be taken off. We finally are up to 10 mg letrozole and 1000mg metformin. I triggered for 1 of our TIC and for al 4 of our IUIs with ovidrel. Always 36 hours before procedure. I added progesterone only to my last IUI.
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell
My docs prefer to do eset. They believe it’s safer and that the outcome is more viable than multiple transfers

Endometriosis, Other
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person [at University of Utah- SLC] and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.... My first visit with Dr. Stanford was scheduled half with my husband and half with me. It was around $600 for the whole consultation. My last visit was a follow up since the birth of my daughter and was $200. I've emailed him on the portal so many times since though and he's managed a lot of my care and pregnancy prescribing progesterone that I didn't have to pay for.
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford was interested in me, who I was, what I was doing and my overall health and wellbeing. He took time in his visits and never seemed rushed. He explained things well and was open to my inquiries about other options.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is an expert in dealing with infertility in a way that works cooperatively with your body through the use of NaPro technology, which is a restorative medicine approach to working with infertility and other issues. This respects woman's bodies and helps treat the underlying issues. It's beautiful and it works! He is so kind and really cares about you as a patient and works to help meet you where you are to accomplish your goals. Highly recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Be open to working with other treatments that you might not be familiar with. It's not IVF but works to treat the underlying issues of what is causing your infertility. It's so worth it! So be patient!
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I took progesterone in the second half of my cycle due to a luteal phase defect. I was on low dose naltrexalone (which I forget exactly the reason but something about it being an anti-inflammatory for endometriosis?)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
The nurses [at University of Utah] show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs...The clinic is clean, the staff is friendly and they provide you drinks while you wait. The mychart is easy to use and their is minimal paper work. I would strongly recommend this clinic. They have an inviting environment and the wait times are short. They communicate with you if they are running behind and worked with me when I was running late. They will make sure to reach your doctor if needed.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Standford is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
The nurses show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is empathetic and he takes his time to answer all your questions and concerns. He treats his patients as individuals and you can tell he cares for you. He gets back to quickly in my chart and calls to check on you. He is thorough in his diagnosis and treatments and he includes the patient and their partners.
This is the most thorough doctor you will ever find and his turn around time and follow up is most impressive. You will not regret doing fertility with Dr. Sanford.
He looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model.
$200

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Everyone I met [at Univ of UT] was extremely friendly. They all knew my husband and I by name and remembered the small conversations we would have with them. They would ask about what ever work story we told them or if our dog was doing better. They knew us personally and we all became office friends. Sara is absolutely amazing. She's shed tears and frustration with my husband and I on multiple occasions. She is simply the best health care provider I have ever worked with!
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are wonderful getting you an appointment when needed but it did take several months to be seen initially. Communication between all members of the team was fantastic. Nothing ever got missed or overlooked. If there were questions that one person couldn't answer I never had to wait more than a few hours, even on weekends, to get an answer.
Dr Megan Link and her APRN Sara Tollstrup have overseen my fertility treatment for years. They have always been upfront with what to expect during each stage of the process. I have shared many hugs and tears with them both. They were always interested in my personal life, my emotional state, my career and schooling. They know me as a person, more so than some of my friends. They always have open arms when things didnt go the way we were expecting. During this time of taking a break, I find that I miss talking with them and the connection we all have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup )
Everyone I met was extremely friendly. They all knew my husband and I by name and remembered the small conversations we would have with them. They would ask about what ever work story we told them or if our dog was doing better. They knew us personally and we all became office friends. Sara is absolutely amazing. She's shed tears and frustration with my husband and I on multiple occasions. She is simply the best health care provider I have ever worked with!
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr Link was always professional and took the time to sit down with me and explain everything that came up. I have spent 3 years under her treatment with multiple failed cycles of iui and timed intercourse. Throughout all the procedures and unexpected outcomes, Dr Link was always there to talk me through the next steps and to remain optimistic. Dr Link wasn't able to do the iui procedures due to timing of my cycles but she always sent me the follow up results.
It takes awhile for a new patient appointment but it's worth the wait. Dr .Link will take great care of you.
Dr. Link began with me having the transvaginal ultrasound and the fallopian tube test. Both came back normal. We continued with Clomid with no luck and then added lettazole. I began growing eggs slowly and after several rounds and dose increases we were able to try our first IUI. Everyone was very optimistic however it didn't work. We restarted more oral meds but with the continued use of clomid at high doses my lining never got thick enough. We then had a long discussion and decided to try the gonal f injection. Labs were checked every few days as well as having multiple vaginal ultrasounds. We had one round that produced the right conditions and we again tried IUI. That too, failed. Dr Link then sat down with me and explained my options. We decided to hold off on any more cycles and focus on preparing for IVF. This is where we are currently.
So far the cost has been about 20,000 which includes all labs, ultrsounds, medications, septum takedown, sonograms, diagnostic procedures
We discussed this briefly but haven't really gotten to the point of having a in depth conversation. She did mention possibly doing 2 but she was a little hesitant about doing so.

1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Our clinic [U of Utah] doesn't have a lot of visual bells and whistles, which I appreciate. It doesn't seem like I'm paying for fancy furniture and decorations. The online portal used by the university is awesome. It makes communication easy and fast. My only complaint is that despite the sign saying not to bring children, there are almost always children there. I understand it's a sensitive thing, but it bugs me.
1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Our clinic doesn't have a lot of visual bells and whistles, which I appreciate. It doesn't seem like I'm paying for fancy furniture and decorations. The online portal used by the university is awesome. It makes communication easy and fast. My only complaint is that despite the sign saying not to bring children, there are almost always children there. I understand it's a sensitive thing, but it bugs me.
She is almost frustratingly objective, which could make you feel like a number. However, she reaches out when it's not required, spends as much time as you want with her, and engages in small talk about personal lives at times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise F)
We like Denise. She is informal and kind. She is a little frantic and seems to always appear over-caffeinated, but it doesnt affect her performance. She has always gotten back to me very fast and gives good information.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is fair, blunt, and informative. She can come across as slightly scripted sometimes, which rubs some the wrong way, but she diverts from the script as needed. I have requested some unique accommodations, and she has done everything she can in that respect without making me feel stupid. I've never felt rushed or like I'm asking stupid questions. She is brilliant, which is a little intimidating. I do wish she'd try to get to know me as a person a little bit more.
Come armed with questions, knowing she will answer them but might not think to initiate that train of thought.
For our one IUI, I took femara for a few days and tested for ovulation at home. When positive, I scheduled the procedure for the next day and had a nurse do the IUI. For the egg retrieval, I took 112.5 IU gonal-F and one vial of menopur each day for 10 days. The dosages were conservative because my amh is 7.4 and there were concerns about OHSS. I started cetrotide on day 6 and took it for five days. I triggered with a hybrid lupron and hcg. Egg retrieval resulted in 20 eggs. Of those, 15 were mature and 14 fertilized through ICSI. Four made it to freeze on day 6. I did not receive good a good explanation about the extreme dropoff or slowness to reach blast. Three were rated good/fair and one poor. Our doctor did not recommend testing on the embryos, primarily because of the cost (about $4,000). FET #1 started with birth control pills. After two weeks, I added 10 IU lupron. I stopped BCP a week later and decreased lupron to 5 IU after 10 days. Also on that day, I added 1 mg estrace twice a day. A week later, I increased estrace to 2 mg, three times a day. On week four of lupron, we did a lining check ultrasound. It was over 10 mm and trilaminar. Two days later, I stopped lupron, decreased retrace back to 1 mg 2x daily and started 100 ml of progesterone in oil. Five days later, we transferred one embryo. It did not thaw well and was rated poor at the time of transfer. I was given one lupron dose day of transfer. I stayed on the same estrace and PIO protocol for 10 days, until we had a negative beta. FET #2 had the exact same protocol with drugs and the same problem with the thaw. Our doctor still recommended transferring it and said she sees a lot of babies come from poorly rated embryos. She said she doesn't put as much stock into ratings as other doctors and added that the rating at the time of freeze is more critical than at the time of transfer. I'm now 8 days past transfer and testing negative at home. Our doctor did recommend transferring our two remaining embryos at the same time in our next attempt. She'll probably also provide the option of an endometrial scratch but didn't sound super confident about the research around it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Utah.
It was efficient and fast. I always got in fast and was never kept waiting in the room. I wish the time window was longer. (It was 7-9 a.m. and I live 90 minutes away.)
IUI was $500. IVF egg retrieval freeze-all was $9750 with ICSI Meds for egg retrieval were about $4000 FET is $2720 Meds for FET were $400
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
She seems to operate by what the research says is best for my age.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Every nurse at this clinic [University of Utah] is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful...They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time. I can always get an appointment when I need one, although it does take awhile to get an appointment with my actual Dr. My one big criticism of the clinic is that they do not enforce their "no children in the clinic" rule and that is very frustrating and painful.
Dr. Peterson is very nice and friendly, but he doesn't seem to know my case very well, except what he reads off my chart. He's missed some important things in there. Once I saw him in the waiting room in the clinic, and it was clear he didn't recognize me at all. His staff is great though and knows me.
Every nurse at this clinic is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is really smart, and I trust him to know the appropriate treatment for me. He is always very patient in answering my many questions, and always presents the information in a way I can understand. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things, but also presents I options in a hopeful manner. His drawbacks include working on a kind of macro level- he doesn't seem interested in helping me optimize my health to increase chances of conception...he told me once that rates don't change much by chasing down every little problem. He hasn't done any labs on me since my first consultation (with another Dr. 2 years prior to my visit with him). I also feel that I he has somewhat neglected my husband throughout this process, despite pretty serious MFI. We lost a few months due to not knowing what was going on.
Advocate for yourself. Make sure he's looking at all the results, and doing the tests you need.
I started on metformin 1500mg for 3 months, while my husband started on clomid 50mg for 3 months. Did an SIS to endure everything was good anatomically. Then I started letrozole 5 mg, which I didn't respond to. Used Provera to induce a period, then did 7.5 mg letrozole. Didn't respond. That same day, started 50 mg clomid plus 7.5 letrozole. No response by day 13. Started 5 mg letrozole and 100 mg clomid. No response. Told then I could move to injectibles, or lose weight. Chose to lose weight. After 4 months, I responded to 5 mg letrozole. Tried 3 natural cycles with the letrozole. Then moved to IUI. First was 5 mg letrozole and trigger with ovidrel. No success. Next three IUIs were 7.5 mg letrozole (to try and ovulate earlier than day 19) and ovidrel trigger. CP on second IUI, and then 2 failures. After 4th fail, recommended to do IVF with ICSI.
I believe the initial consultation was around $200. Each ultrasound was around $350. IUIs are $370 total. My copay for each Dr. Visit was $25. I pay about $20 for a 3 month supply of letrozole, $10 for metformin, and $18 per syringe of ovidrel.
SLC

I love the U of Utah clinic. I have always been able to schedule and appointments with ease. I’m never waiting too long and they are great and communication and the process. The clinic is very clean and I love all the staff. I have always received prompt communication from my nurse and doctors. They have also worked with scheduling my locations for my ultrasounds to work around my schedule.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Peterson was so personal and really made me feel like he was on my team cheering me on every step of the way! He knew my nursing back ground and kept that in consideration while explaining everything to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Tollstrup)
Sarah is amazing. She is so personable and easy to get a hold of. She answers all my questions promptly and really cares about the outcome of each cycle!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is not only a great doctor and highly professional and qualified in his line of work but also a great human being. He has so much compassion and understanding for every patient. He keeps you feeling motivated and hopeful even when things go unexpected!
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even after the appointment.
We started with Femara(7.5) and timed intercourse after being diagnosed with PCOS. We then moved onto a high dose and eventually added in 75u of Gonal F until a follicle developed large enough for ovulation. I then triggered and we either did timed intercourse or IUI. We have been doing this for al cycles. The Femara gets my follicles to produce a dominate one and the gonal f for a few days finishes maturing it.
We spent about $5000 per pregnancy. Our cost is about $500-$1200 a cycle.

PCOS, Other
For the most part, the nursing staff [at Univ of Utah-SLC] has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I think they are overall wonderful. Communicating through the Mychart is so easy and they respond very quickly. My only complaint would be that you never know who you are seeing or speaking to, so i always felt the need to remind them of my uterine anomaly bc i wasn't sure if they were aware of it or had read the file. They are all friendly and courteous. They try to be sensitive and relay good or bad news in a delicate manner.
Doctor Petersen is very sweet. He seems almost like a father figure who is trying to help you get through this difficult time. He seems to genuinely care about you and your situation.
For the most part, the nursing staff has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I honestly loved Dr. Petersen and my experience with him. He has good bedside manner but also is direct about the risks you face and the steps that need to be taken. I always felt like i could trust him and the treatment plan he recommended. My only complaint would be that i saw him for the first few months and now i don't really see him at all. I see mostly the nurses or clinic staff but i understand thats is probably common with this field of work.
Just to trust him and try to have faith in the process. Also, to make sure to ask as many questions as you want! Sometimes the treatment plan can be lengthy and detailed and i always felt a little overwhelmed. Demand the time you need to ask questions and go over everything slowly.
The first few cycles i went on letrozole (an alternative to Clomid) , triggered ovulation with ovidrell and did timed intercourse. That was not successful so we wanted to attempt IUI. However, due to my particular anomaly, i cannot have twins. Therefore, if there were multiple follicles present, the risk for twins being higher, we were recommended to cancel that cycle (which we did). We reduced my letrozol dosage to try to get just one follicle and have been able to complete IUI Since (1 failed attempt) Im currently in the waiting period of my 2nd attempt. If not successful, we will attempt IUI one more time before possibly discussing Invitro
i have insurance that is copay of $80 per visit due to seeing a specialist. The medications were usually around $150 per cycle and IUI was around $400 each cycle

2010 - 2018
Endometriosis, Unexplained
UCRM is up to date on new techniques and research being done. The doctors and staff are all very knowledgable and available to answer questions whenever needed. They are also quick to respond to emails and phone calls. The only draw back is that you will not see your assigned doctor for every visits or procedure, but I have not had a negative experience with any of the other staff.
2010 - 2018
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Erica would at every appointment check in with us to see where we were at emotionally with everything that was going on. Her concern was not only our physical health, but also our emotional health and the health of our relationship.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
The nursing staff at UCRM is great. They are all knowledge and kind. They are available to answer any questions and assist with any needs.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica is great at providing all the information and being forthcoming with both the good news and that bad, but does so in a way that is kind and gentle. She remains up to date on the recent breakthroughs and studies going on and in turn provides that information to her patients. Working with Erica always feels like you're working with a team and you are included in the decisions in your health care.
Do not be afraid to ask her questions or have her clarify information. She is not someone that will ever feel like less of a person because you do not fully understand what is going on.
My endometriosis was first treated to help reduce inflammation and to reduce the toxic environment that was created as a result. First a laparoscopy was performed to remove extensive endometriomas that had formed. Then I was provided with 3 months of depot lupron injections to reduce the size of the other endometriomas that could not be removed. We then moved on an IVF cycle using a moderate level of dosing of injectables for this procedure. I did respond well and 9 eggs were retrieved and all fertilized. 2 embryos were implanted, though none others survived to freezing. This resulted in the live birth of a singleton. The dosing for medication was based on my age and AMH testing.
There is often little wait for these appointments and things are moved through efficiently and effectively. Monitoring or ultrasound appointments are scheduled during certain parts of the day, but they usually have a few times available to try and accommodate your schedule.
The IVF cycle had a flat fee of $8900, which included things like assisted hatching, egg retrieval, ultrasounds, etc. Medications were obtained through a separate pharmacy, but because we were able to meet with Dr. Johnstone in a hospital setting, we did receive a small reduction in cost. Medications cost about $3500. We have also completed IUIs with Dr. Johnstone and these cost a flat rate of $360.

2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
This clinic [Univ of Utah] is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
Dr. Johnstone was always kind, but honest about what to expect with each procedure. When results came back negative she was always the one to call me not a random nurse. I always felt like she had my best interest in mind and did all she could within her power to help us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Moore)
Danielle Moore and Jennifer Baxter were wonderful to work with. I got regular emails and reminders from them which helped a lot.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Doctor Johnstone always responded promply to emails. She responded within 24 hours as advertised, but usually lots sooner. I had some bleeding early on with my first pregnancy Dr. Johnstone adjusted her schedule and got me in that morning and checked me out personally. Dr. Johnstone is a wonderful doctor and has spoiled me for other doctors. I have gone to other doctors expecting the same care and it just doesn't happen. There are few doctors as good as doctor Johnstone. I always felt like she really cared.
Go in prepared to ask questions. Doctor Johnstone will take the time to answer your questions. If you just feel clueless that is ok too. Doctor Johnstone explains things very clearly and does all that she can to make sure you understand your options and what is going on.
We started out trying IUI with clomid. My AMH levels were good so we tried this first. I responded well to clomid so we tried IUI's 3 times all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We went on vacation and just did a clomid round that month with was also negative. The next two months we did IUI's with clomid and a couple of days of injectable medication follow by a trigger shots. Both months ended with negative pregnancy tests. A few months later I started IVF with a lupron down regulating prior to start IVF fertility meds. Also my AMH levels came back poor which resulted in me using high levels of fertility meds. When I went to my lining check most of my folicals had disappeared depite the high levels of fertility meds. That cycle was canceled and I just went in for another IUI. That cycle resulted in another negative pregnancy test. We did another IVF round this time Dr. Johns didn't have me use lupron. The cycle was much more natural, but I still used very high levels of fertility meds. They were able to retrieve 11 eggs, 10 of which fertilized, but only one made it to be a day 5 embryo. The one embryo was transferred, but still resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Following this we looked into adoption and also embryo donation. We went to another state and tried two rounds of donor embryos under another doctors care. Dr. Johnstone helped us out with all of the testing and lining checks before each frozen embryo transfer with the other doctors in another state. Doctor Johnstone was still very supportive while we worked with another doctor. One donor embryo cycle was negative and the next one ended up being a chemical pregnancy. Following that we returned to Doctor Johnstone to do IVF with donor eggs. We qualified for a guarantee program and decided to participate in it. Our first donor cycle ended before the transfer date. None of the embryos made it. We chose a second donor who backed out a few days before we started medication. We made it to our transfer date with our third donor. We had 6 five day embryos on the transfer date. We decided to transfer 2 embryos which resulted in our twins. We were able to freeze the other 4 embryos. Recently we we t back for a frozen embryo cycle which resulted in positive pregnancy tests. Right now I am taking meds and waiting for my viability scan when I reach 7 weeks pregnant. We are excited and hoping for the best. We are so greatful for all of doctor Johnstones help and support though out this journey.
IUI $1,400 IVF about $9,000 IVF meds $1,500 - $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $2,720 IVF with egg donor about $20,000
Our doctor encouraged us to only transfer one embryo when we used donor eggs. We got a little anxious once we had to choose a third egg donor and chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of the recommended 1. It was a very difficult pregnancy and doctor Johnstone was right to suggest only transferring one embryo. However, they were supportive when we chose to transfer 2.

Other, Unexplained
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like...They [nurses] are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day...Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus.
Latino, Native American
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like. Overall a great place for infertility treatment. My only complaint is that there isn't a clinic closer to where I live. I have to drive 2 hours each way for an appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly (I think))
They are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone has been amazing. I was so frustrated when I first went to see her because it felt like we had been trying to get pregnant on our own forever. She met with us to create a plan and explained what to expect during our journey. She was very matter-of-fact, but also sensitive to how we were feeling about each step. Infertility is a scary journey, but I felt very comfortable in her care.
The doctor will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be.
Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
My insurance was not accepted by the UofU, so we had to pay for surgery ($1,000), IUIs ($400 x 3), etc., out of pocket. Fertility treatments are usually not covered anyway, so this was not hugely different than if we went somewhere else.
Not applicable.

2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they [U of Utah] always call me back, and in a timely manner.... Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse!... She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they always call me back, and in a timely manner. So i guess it's not THAT bad of a weakness haha.
Dr. Peterson is always warm and down to earth. He knows me and my whole history. Every time we meet with him, he comes prepared with all the information and helps my Husband and I make the best decision. He always takes the time to sit and listen to our concerns and answer all of our questions. He is very honest and does not sugar coat anything but is able to deliver the facts and information kindly. He is never condescending like a lot of very intelligent people can be. He makes both my husband and I feel like he cares about us and OUR situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie Booth)
Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse! She has been my primary nurse the entire time I have been at The U. She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart. She is very organized, patient with scheduling all my different appointments, and compassionate. She is excellent at communicating and helping me stay organized with my IVF schedule. I love her!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is very personable and makes me feel like the current round of IVF, whither it be the 3rd or 4th, matters. Like it's the biggest thing happening in my world- because it is. He is very professional and careful to explain every move he makes when doing vaginal ultrasounds, which I appreciate because lets face it... they are awful. My husband and I have never felt uncomfortable or iffy around him. I have never felt like I was left in the dark about my care plan. He always make sure I know and understand out next steps. What sincerely impressed me- After I had my daughter, about 6 months postpartum (our only live baby from IVF) I had some uncontrollable bleeding. I went to the ER and they ran tests and wanted me to have a D&C. Because we have moved to a different state and my infertility history, I was nervous about my care plan. I called my Infertility office, The U of U, to ask the nurses what they thought about having the D&C because of the scaring that can occur with it. Instead of hearing back from the nurses, Dr. Peterson, himself called me on the phone. He requested my full ER workup papers and test results. He looked over them and he told me how to handle it moving forward. That instance spoke volumes to the kind of doctor he is and the pride he takes in patient care and his work. I would definitely recommend him to the people closest to me without hesitation.
Always go in to see him with questions and be clear about your expectations for him.
At the time of our egg retrieval I was under the care of a different doctor at the University of Utah. I hyperstimulatied really bad and was unable to do a fresh transfer. My doctor took my case to the team and from there on all 5 or so doctors knew about my history and made decisions on my case together. When I began seeing Dr. Peterson he already knew about my history. He had done his "homework" on me so I didn't have to give him the rundown of my medical history of the last 15 years. I was so thankful for that. He did not change up protocol on my FET that he preformed, however, the one he did was the one that we got a live baby out of. I do feel like he watched me closer and I had more frequent appointments and ultrasounds with him because of my history of miscarriage.
There are different plans you can choose from. I don't remember the cost of the egg retrieval. We paid a little more because we needed ICSI. An FET is right around $2700. They are very up front with their cost breakdown. In the 4.5 years we have been going there we have never had any shady billing situation come up. What has been quoted is exactly what we have paid. Prices have never been changed or raised.
Dr. Peterson presented us with the facts and percentage rates in regards to a single and double embryo transfers. He informed us of the complications and risks that can come with multiple embryo transfer. He never tried to sway us one way or another. He just gave us the facts and let us decide.

Endometriosis, PCOS
MyChart system [U of Utah] is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.... I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
MyChart system is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.
Dr. Stanford remembered us from appointment to appointment. He takes very good notes so that helps for not having to repeat our medical records every appointment. He recommended to follow the Mediterranean diet and not only focus on my fertility but in my health in general. He explained all treatments in detail and e-mail via MyChart web links for extra information and for me to do personal research.
I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford. We would meet every few months to check my chart and follow the instructions of the Creighton Model that Dr. Stanford follows. The nurses at the U are very kind and always welcome us with a smile and would remember what we talked about our personal life on previous appointments. They were good at scheduling follow up appointments.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford told us at our first appointments what could be the possible causes of our infertility and he did all tests in order to rule out one by one the causes. He tried different medications as new problems were showing up and went from low to high impact treatment and drug dose. I like to do things by the book and Dr. Stanford was a perfect match for me. He and his team are very communicative, would answer questions the following day and even call on weekends to follow up. He is compassion and sympathetic. When in need to schedule for a ultrasound on a Saturday or Sunday he would work around our own schedule.
Dr. Stanford treatments can take a bit too long so you need to ask about all the options to treat your diagnose and push for higher drug's dose or faster treatment but he will always try to get down to the root of the problem and try his best to solve it. I was with him for 2 years and I think I should have look for a second opinion after the first year or year and a half. He did not suggest my husband to take any supplements which I think it could have help us a tinny bit if he has done it. All the studies and life style changes were focus on me and now I wish he had done something to improve my husbands numbers.
Dr. Stanford had me charting my cycles from the beginning which was tedious at the beginning but now I appreciate having all the information down in the charts with ultrasounds dates and blood test results. It's also 100% helpful to detect ovulation since I have PCOS and not ovulation was a possibility. He first did a hormonal panel to see my hormone levels and had me do a blood draw on day 3 of the cycle plus "day 21". After charting for few cycles he was able to detect some issues and started looking for solutions. Every month that I didn't get pregnant we tried something different. Firsts 5 cycles my mucus was not good so he suggested some supplements to improve mucus quality. He closely monitored my cycles with ultrasounds and/or blood test to detect ovulation. I did ovulate by myself all cycles. He found ovary cyst and suspected endometriosis. On the 5th cycle (with him) I had one of the cyst ruptured and he recommended a laparoscopy that I had on the 7th cycle. The following 6 cycles were supposed to be optimal for getting pregnant but it didn't happen. The laparoscopy did help with my periods pain. For about 4 cycles I had almost no pain but then I started with cramps again. On the 8th cycle, he put me on 200mg progesterone on my luteal phase since my levels were low. But that did not help a lot so 2 cycles later he gave me 400mg. On my 12th cycle I started to have mid-cycle spotting. A hysterosonogram showed no uterus polyps that could cause the spotting so on cycle 15 he put my husband and I on antibiotics (2 weeks for him 4 for me) in case was an infection. That stop the spotting for one cycle so then he put me on low doze Naltrexone around cycle 17. But this still did not solve the spotting. He repeated the hysterosonogram on cycle 22 since my periods were more painful and the spotting persist but came back all good. Although I was ovulating on my own we tried to improve ovulation with Letrozol (7.5mg once a month) starting on cycle 15. On cycle 19 I suffer from hyper-stimulation so Dr. lowered the dose on cycle 21 and 22. On cycle 23 I decided it was the last cycle with Dr. Stanford before moving on to assisted. We did a high dose of Letrozole closely monitored (as were ALL cycles) but we did not achieve a pregnancy.
Since the whole treatment was due to my PCOS and endometriosis and Dr. Stanford is in network, everything was cover by my health insurance except for the monthly follow up fee that was charged when he revised my chart that I would send by e-mail and not see him in person that month.
SLC

This clinic [University of Utah] is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment... I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment
I felt that every time I came into the office they knew me, they remembered what we had been through. Also when we had bad news of a cancelled cycle they were very considerate and I felt like they cared by trying everything possible to not make that happen again. Also the communication between me and the nurses was incredible I never felt like I was doing all the work or the only one who cared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Sara)
I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life. They cared just as much as i did about me getting pregnant. The communication between us was so easy and i knew that if i ever had a question they would call me back within 15 minutes. They were amazing
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica was fantastic. she had this soft manner in her work and in her voice that made me always feel so calm and at ease. Infertility is a stressful time as it is and with her manner and her genuine care i felt like i was in the best hands.
I would say that even though you do not see erica every appointment know that she has the worlds best nurses and you are in great hands.
first cycle was a plan for an IUI. she prescribed me provera to induce my period. After provera and on the 2nd day of my cycle i went in for an ultrasound and also to start Famera 3 pills a day for 5 days. After 5 days i went back for an ultra sound. At this ultrasound i had 3 non mature eggs so i was then prescribed Gonal F (37.5ml) for 3 days. After 3 days i went back in for an ultrasound and found that i had 1 egg that was mature at 22 mm and the rest fell behind and stopped growing. At this point i was to do the trigger shot that night and then 36 hours later i had an IUI with fresh sperm. After this i had progesterone for 14 days and after that i took a pregnancy test which was negative. Cycle 2 we did the exact same protocol, after day 3 of my Gonal F injections we saw on the ultrasound that i made 7 mature eggs resulting in a cancelled cycle and restrain from sex. Cycle 3- we decided to only try Famera this round, i took 3 pills a day for 5 days and then on day 10 i went in for an ultrasound showing that i had 3 eggs that were not mature yet, erica decided to let me coast. I went in three days later and found that 3 eggs were mature. We waited one extra day and then did the trigger shot and again 36 hours later did an IUI with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. After 14 days we got a negative pregnancy test.
my insurance has not covered much but we paid about 250 each doctor visit and with medication and IUI, Sperm sample, freezing, ultrasounds. We ended up paying about 3,000 each cycle and we have done 3
SLC

The nurse assigned to us [at Univ of Utah- SLC] is beyond incredible. She sweet, funny, compassionate, very knowledgeable, don’t feel bothered if you ask her a million questions or ask her to go over information again. She makes me feel at ease and like I’m talking to a friend rather than my nurse.... Strengths-excellent resources, great staff, good at running appointments on time, they are good at squeezing you in, phlebotomy lab right in the clinic, they are big on privacy. Negative-The greatest negative for us is that the clinic is far away. About an hour drive from us, but that don’t affect everyone.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Peterson sees many patients, but he made me feel like I was his only patient with his care. He spent as much time as I needed to answer every question I had, even if I thought it was a silly question. I can tell he is emotionally invested in helping to grow my family and I always feel at ease with him even if the results aren’t always good.
The nurse assigned to us is beyond incredible. She sweet, funny, compassionate, very knowledgeable, don’t feel bothered if you ask her a million questions or ask her to go over information again. She makes me feel at ease and like I’m talking to a friend rather than my nurse.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I think Dr. Peterson is a very good communicator. He doesn’t mix words which I like and gives you the facts straight. He has an excellent staff and isn’t willing to move onto the next step unless he feels that it is the optimal setting for you to get the best result. I am someone who wants to just go, go and he is there to remind me that we need to do what is best for me and for my potential baby. The only one criticism I can really give is that he is a very busy doctor. Since he is very popular, he has to balance many patients so it might just take a little extra time to get back to you (not during clinic time), but I’ve always felt it was worth the wait.
Be willingly to be flexible on your treatment plan. As he really doesn’t want to rush anything for the sake of rushing-and wants the best outcome for you, plans might be changed and just be ready for that.
The first protocol used was getting my vitamin regiment-using prenatals, pregnitude, and COQ10. Prenatals and pregnitude for embryo health and COQ10 for quality and strength. then preparing a plan for my retrieval. He prescribed gonal, menopur, saizen, cetrotide, and my trigger shot. They were for growth of my follicles and trigger for ovulation. The results were as expected. Nothing too unusual.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The IVF nurse line was awesome and they were super responsive. All the phlebotomists were friendly and well trained. ... Everyone [University of Utah] was very friendly and clearly worked as a team. I much prefer the clinic staff at the U to that at UFC, where Dr. Dorais is currently practicing. ... think there was a time or two they didn’t call with results when they said they would but it was never for a critical test and I was always able to reach them to get the info.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everyone was very friendly and clearly worked as a team. I much prefer the clinic staff at the U to that at UFC, where Dr. Dorais is currently practicing. The IVF nurse line was awesome and they were super responsive. All the phlebotomists were friendly and well trained. The other doctors who I saw here and there were also great.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is so kind and caring. She always takes the time to listen and consider our questions and opinions.
I didn’t get to know them super well but they were very friendly and responsive.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is so sweet. She always seemed happy to see us, never seemed to be in a bad mood and was always present with us. When we were talking about treatment options she realized that I was interested in the details so she gave them to me. She discussed recent studies and always explained the rationale behind her suggested treatment plan. When things didn’t work she adapted and she was willing to listen to and consider our opinion for our treatment plan. I feel like she is up to date with emerging research and willing to adjust to try new things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Just go to her!!
Describe the protocols Jessie Dorais used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I was unexpectedly a poor responder to the storms so she continued to slightly increase or modify my dosages through our IUI cycles (we had already done 3 rounds of clomid when we saw her so we started right away with that). She began us just on Femara and then added injectables. When we began IVF I still didn’t respond as well to the meds, so after my first cycle was canceled she adjusted and increased doses and added HGH. She also wanted to make sure everything was perfectly prepared going into IVF so she did a uterine septum surgery prior to it. My second IVF cycle was still a learning experience but I did get pregnant and have a son. Even though it resulted in pregnancy it was clear they it hadn’t worked as well as hoped (no embryos to freeze) so now that we are doing IVF she is trying a totally different approach (min-stim with ICSI and luteal estrace).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessie Dorais at University of Utah.
IUIs - $360 with meds/cycle I did a guarantee programs for IVF so my 2 cycles were about $15000. Meds for the first cycle were $4500 and second were $5500.
Describe Jessie Dorais's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We only had 1 embryo. She was going to let us transfer 2 although she definitely seemed to prefer the idea of a singleton pregnancy.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah.

PCOS, Unexplained
I requested to continue care with my nurse Sara Tollstrup [at University of Utah-SLC] . She is that good. She is fun to talk to. She shares personal experiences and makes her relatable to you. She's fun to talk to in person, over the phone and through my chart.... I struggled having to schedule procedures through their main scheduler at the U. I thought she was rude and took forever to get ahold of. I had to go through my nurse to finally get me procedures scheduled. But I love the facility, doctors and the nursing team.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I've had three different doctors through the U. Dr. Bernheisel, Dr. Petersen and then Dr. Johnstone. I struggled having to schedule procedures through their main scheduler at the U. I thought she was rude and took forever to get ahold of. I had to go through my nurse to finally get me procedures scheduled. But I love the facility, doctors and the nursing team.
Dr. Erica Johnstone would come in ann's talk to me before, during and after procedures. She personally called to check on me after my sonohys procedure to remove scarring from a prior procedure. I wanted to try one more IUI after the septum in my uterus was removed and healed. Dr. Johnstone came in personally and explained the likelihood of pregnancy of with both IUI and IVF. IVF scares me a lot. We decided to try one more IUI. But, it didn't work.
I requested to continue care with my nurse Sara Tollstrup. She is that good. She is fun to talk to. She shares personal experiences and makes her relatable to you. She's fun to talk to in person, over the phone and through my chart.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Erica Johnstone took the time to help me fully understand the risks of both IUI and IVF after successful removal and repair of removing the septum in my uterus. I was afraid to do IVF and she came in and sat down with me. She explained pros and cons of both procedures. Skee put my fear at ease by helping me understand both procedures. I decided to try IUI once more time #7. But, it didn't work. She kept in constant contact through mychart and by phone.
She seems abrupt at first but she is really a kind and caring doctor. She is really brilliant and patient. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask any questions. She's more than willing to help you feel at ease and comfortable.
SLC

[Univ of UT is] Very patient oriented and sensitive. They are very responsive to messages. We have always gotten back to see our provider in a timely manner. The only thing I got say as a weakness is that the waiting area is in much need of a renovation. But other than that, our patient experience had been positive.... Our nurses took time to explain everything in detail, review medications, and really held our hand through the whole process.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Link's love is felt as she speaks to you. She genuinely cares about us and does all she can to help us one day bring home our baby. She has never given up hope on us no matter how tough the road gets. She has the perfect balance between being realistic and optimistic. She has taken time to personally call me and check in with me and let me know she was thinking of me. She has helped us learn of new treatments and is helping us with a different approach. We seriously love Dr. Link.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr. Link is so loving, dedicated, and optimistic. We were diagnosed with male factor infertility and diminished ovarian reserve. Our first IVF cycle was not successful. However, what we loved about her was that she let us know from the beginning that due to our situation, that would be the most likely option, that it would be unsuccessful. My husband and I wanted to proceed, regardless of our chances. Dr. Link proceeded with optimism and gave us our best possible shot. When that didn't work, she comforted us. She called me a few times in the following weeks, and she brought us into the clinic to go over more options to grow our family. She has never given up on us and works tirelessly to help us accomplish our dream.
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, she is willing to spend as much time as you need explaining things as you need.
We proceeded with injections to prepare fpr egg retrieval. Gonal F, cetrotide, menopur. Our doctor also prescribed growth hormone injections since i had a diminished ovarian reserve.
We were lucky to have our insurance cover a lot. The most expensive part for us was a tese a d microtese surgery that my husband needed. We spent $12,000 on those surgeries. We spent $4,000 on medications, and after what our insurance covered of the IVF cycle we paid $1,900.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
400 for IUI’s [at University of Utah]...They [nurses] were great and responded quickly...He [Dr. Peterson] was very kind and reliable. He told me exactly what was up... did everything he could to help us. He gave us options and he his Advice. I never felt like a number and felt like he really cared. I also felt like he really knew his stuff. He even told us where to get cheaper prescriptions. I felt like he was trying to help us any way he could by giving us all the info so we can make the best decisions...He put me on femora for IUI’s. He said there were less side effects he listed all the risks but I don’t really remember what they were any more. He gave me a detailed plan with trigger shots. We did four IUI’s. He also did another saline test because I was concerned about my Fallopian tubes. I had an HCG test a while back with a different doctor and they said one tube had pooling. Dr Peterson said my ultra sounds all looked good and that he could do the saline test just to be sure. The test suggested my tubes looked normal.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The only thing I didn’t like was how far away the clinic was from us. And once we switched to our patient monitoring my insurance didn’t cover anything! I don’t understand why suddenly switching that my insurance couldn’t cover the blood work or ultra sounds
He was very kind and reliable. He told me exactly what was up
They were great and responded quickly. They were great with out patient monitoring as well when we switched to CNY.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr Peterson did everything he could to help us. He gave us options and he his Advice. I never felt like a number and felt like he really cared. I also felt like he really knew his stuff. He even told us where to get cheaper prescriptions. I felt like he was trying to help us any way he could by giving us all the info so we can make the best decisions
To make sure you tell him everything you want and be clear and he will do all he can to help you.
400 for IUI’s. My insurance covered a lot of the medication and he gave us tips on where to buy them cheaper.
SLC
Whenever I would go into the office [U of Utah] for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though.... I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara.... They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter.... Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office and little things like babies and kids are so hard to see during hard times.
Going through infertility you are already so sensitive. It’s a hard topic, hard time emotionally and physically. Whenever I would go into the office for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though. I genuinely felt like dr Johnstone and her nurses cared about me as a person and not just a patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara tolstep and heidi )
I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara. They were amazing. I have never had such care and compassion in any other doctor. They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter. I feel like I am better friends with my nurses then just there patient. They cared about me and my circumstance. They would randomly check on me. I can’t say enough good things about Heidi and Sara.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
My experience with dr Johnstone was great. Although I did only see her a couple times, it did not bother me one but because she has the worlds best nurses. I felt as though dr Johnstone cared as much as I did about getting pregnant and her compassion and her soft manner helped me relax. Although we still have not gotten pregnant like we hoped I still feel as though I am getting the correct treatment and I trust my doctor and nurses completely.
Just knowing that you won’t see dr Johnstone as much as I though it really didn’t matter. She had amazing nurses who take care of you just as much as dr Johnstone would.
I am currently living in the Philippines and we tried every way possible to get pregnant here including 3 iui’s. It didn’t work. So we have traveled back to Utah 3 times to do iui’s. Our first cycle we did provera for 7 days to induce period, ultrasound on day 3 of my period. We then started letrozole (famera) for 5 days 3 pills a day. Then on day 5 of letrozol I went in for another ultrasound. This scan showed I had 3 not mature eggs I think about 10mm so she decided to do gonal f for 3 days 37 units a day. I then went back after 3 days and saw that 1 egg had made it for 24mm. That night we did the trigger shot, waited 36 hours and did an iui with fresh sperm. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Our second iui in Utah was done the exact same way, same medicine same ultrasounds but when I got to my ultrasound 3 days after taking gonal f they say I had 6 mature eggs and dr Johnstone believed we should cancel that cycle. Our third iui she decided to just do letrozol. So I did 5 days of letrozol 3 pills a day and then come back in on day 10 for an ultrasound. This ultrasound showed that I had 3 follicles growing. We decided to just let coast and come back two days later. This ultrasound showed that 2 eggs were 20 mm and the third one was 15mm with the past showing I haven’t had any luck they decided to wait two days to do the trigger shot in hopes that all three eggs would be viable. I was also aware of all the risks. I then did the trigger shot and then 36 hours later we did an iui with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. This also resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
I have had great insurance but I have had to pay for almost all visits and medications. Each visit should be about $328 but with insurance comes out to be 180 or so. Then each shot was about $70 except trigger shot which was $120. In all with three iui’s I would think we have spent about $7-8,000
SLC

The nurse practitioner who did IUI was great had a wonderful sense of humor and was kind. ... it cost only $400 for the insemination and sperm prep ... one of the nurse practitioners I felt mistreated and as if I was just a number to her. ... When I spoke to the manager she was very kind and listened. ... They [U of UT - SLC] have lots of innovated ways of doing things with technology and procedures. Because it is a non-profit facility they have studies going on to help find more information about infertility both for male and female.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths the depth of knowledge of their providers and clinical staff. Office is not grand or fancy in anyway but is comfortable and inviting. They have lots of innovated ways of doing things with technology and procedures. Because it is a non-profit facility they have studies going on to help find more information about infertility both for male and female.
While working with the Doctor himself I felt like a human but working with one of his mid-levels I felt just like another number. As she would not listen to me when I tried to explain that I was not under the normal protocol.
The first we met was a medical assistant and she was great very friendly and kind. She also spent extra time with us making sure we again knew and understood everything Dr. Peterson had talked to us about. I then had to communicate through the electronic portal and did not have the same experience as it was hard to get the nurse answering his messages to see that my case was not typical and seemed easier to not communicate with them in the portal. After meeting with one of the nurse practitioner I was very disappointed with the meeting and felt that no one should be treated how I was. I ended up speaking with Dr. Peterson staff manager and Dr. Peterson regarding the nurse practitioner and the nursing staff handling the portal messages. The nurse practitioner who did IUI was great had a wonderful sense of humor and was kind.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson has a very kind face that makes it easy to trust him. He is very knowledgeable, comes with lots of experience, and is great at explaining what he is talking about. He is willing to listen to you and think outside the box. However, he can be very blunt and straight forward some times when you are in a fragile state this can be hard to hear but looking back on the information he is blunt about you can see why he may have those concerns.
Always go with your question ready and written down. Be prepare to wait for an appointment and once you are there for your appointment be prepared to wait in the waiting room even past your scheduled time.
After meeting with Dr. Peterson he had a few additional test he wanted to run as they had not been done with previous providers in hopes to find some additional insight to our case and lack of success. Once all the testing came back he wanted to see for himself how my body reacted to specific fertility meds so we did medication and inject round without insemination. We did this and had a negative results. After that he wanted to try an IUI round before considering IVF even though we had 6 failed IUI's and 2 failed rounds of IVF. His reason was at the University of Utah they did things a little different for their IUI's then other clinics in the state. We agreed to try when we went to our ultrasound to see how the follicles were doing he noticed that I had 3 follicles that had matured. He was concerned about more than one of these taking he and explained the risk to us with great detail. We chose to trigger those follicles and we did the IUI the results of those 3 matured follicles resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We have met with him regarding IVF but have not moved forward at this time.
IUI was unbelievable lower than I had every paid before it cost only $400 for the insemination and sperm prep. Medication seem normal and other cost I don't remember as well.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Sara [at University of Utah] was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success...This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked. That being said, I do think the Dr.'s and nurses are knowledgeable and capable.
Dr. Johnstone was always caring and thorough when we met with her. I felt she was honest about our treatment options and when it was necessary to get more aggressive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara was our nurse practitioner that we worked with closely )
Sara was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone is a caring and knowledgeable doctor. At times I felt she was much too busy to attend to all her patients and I feel like our care suffered because of it. I do feel like she had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan.
I feel Dr. Johnstone is a caring and highly educated Dr. If she has time for you as a new patient, I would recommend her.
My diagnosis is annovulatory PCOS, so Dr. Johnstones goal was to get me to ovulate. In the beginning we tried three cycles with just Femara and I never ovulated despite developing mature follicles. Then we moved to femara plus a trigger shot to force ovulation combined with timed intercourse. I was able to get pregnant through this method, but I miscarried. Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages. When I started the femara again after the miscarriage, my body didn't respond. So we had to double the days I took the meds, 10 days instead of 5. We continued with the trigger shot and timed intercourse but moved to IUI after that was unsuccessful twice. We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
IUI cost $360 just for the procedure. Each follicle monitoring ultrasound was $230. Each trigger shot was $40. Appointments to meet with Dr. Johnstone were $265. The hysteroscopy was covered by insurance but would have been $460 if it hadn't been.
SLC

[University of Utah is a] Nice facility that feels personal. They managed things efficiently and were excellent communicators. The mychart system is also very helpful for keeping track of information and seeing doctors notes or even asking questions. Each person I dealt with was professional and helpful...Meg [nurse] was amazing. I had to get my frozen embryos sent from another state and she handled everything so smoothly. She micro-managed every detail and made sure that nothing was missed and that it was all smooth. She really minimized my stress. So, so grateful for her.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr Dorais is very compassionate and sensitive. She spent a lot of time talking about our options and called me several times just to check in and follow up on previous conversations. Her patient care is her greatest strength - very reassuring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
Meg was amazing. I had to get my frozen embryos sent from another state and she handled everything so smoothly. She micro-managed every detail and made sure that nothing was missed and that it was all smooth. She really minimized my stress. So, so grateful for her.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
She is very smart and clearly explains all the factors. She is also very kind and you really feel she wants you to have success. In my opinion she is on the conservative side as far as treatment course. She was great to work with, but that being said I did not have success with two ivf cycles so it is hard to recommend fully. If you are looking for a patient, kind doctor that will clearly and carefully explain things she is excellent. Also, she did leave the clinic for another local clinic in the middle of my second cycle.
Come prepared with your questions and she will always answer them and give you the research to validate them.
I did 2 frozen embryo transfers with dr Dorais. Both were mostly the same protocol with lupron injections, oral meds (can't remember name!) and the mm progestorone injections. I was allergic to progestorone and switched to crinone vaginal cream. Cycles were treated the same except with an addition of an endometrial scratch procedure before the 2nd Ivf.
About $3500 for a frozen cycle, plus medications
She favored eSET. I already have twins from a previous Ivf cycle with another clinic/dr and had a very complicated pregnancy. With those factors she had a clear recommendation.

PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Megan [nurse at University of Utah] communicated well and kept me informed. She also relayed info to Dr. Dorais when I needed, and responded to things quickly... I saw most of the doctors there at one time or another, and liked all of them. The nurses abt helped with my sedated procedures were great and so helpful...Consult $250 IUI around $700...IVF- guarantee cycle, 2nd tier- $17,500 (covered IVF, retrieval, both FETs...The front desk staff (now changed) was not the most helpful or friendly
PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The front desk staff (now changed) was not the most helpful or friendly, but they did keep things scheduled and on track. I saw most of the doctors there at one time or another, and liked all of them. The nurses abt helped with my sedated procedures were great and so helpful.
Dr. Dorais was always very warm and kind. She knew everything about our case all the time, without checking my chart during the visit. We felt like she was our teammate and wanted success for us as badly as we wanted it for ourselves. She would sit down and speak directly with us, never acting like she was rushed or had to go, even though I’m sure she always had other things she could have been doing. If our visit was over and I thought of a question as she was walking out, she’d come back and sit down and talk us through anything. She never rushed us. She followed up with me after hours and called me personally a few times when there had been good or bad news.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan communicated well and kept me informed. She also relayed info to Dr. Dorais when I needed, and responded to things quickly.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
From my first visit with Dr. Dorais, I felt comfortable in her care, confident in her knowledge and abilities, and so grateful to have her as my doctor. She personalized every step of treatment and adjusted it as needed. She was direct with odds, risks, next steps for treatments. She gave professional opinions, but also constantly checked in on how I was feeling and what I wanted to do. She is positive, but realistic, and approaches everything optimistically. I had a few setbacks and complications during my treatment (through no fault of Dr. Dorais) and when things were especially difficult, she would call to check in on me or just to touch base and see how I was doing. When I thought I was miscarrying, she offered to meet me in the ER if I decided to go in. When that miscarriage was confirmed in her office, she sat with us as we cried together, knew the right things to say, and helped us through it. She was so compassionate while we grieved, and later shared in our joy when we were finally pregnant. She made our journey bearable, when at times it felt like it wouldn’t have been otherwise. She was my advocate, my cheerleader, and also a voice of reason. She is simply the best.
Make an appointment with her ASAP.
3 rounds Letrazole 3 IUIs (with Gonal-F) 1 round IVF: 25 eggs retrieved, resulting in 13 frozen embryos. Converted to freeze-all due to OHSS First FET: 2 embryos, 1 implanted, miscarried at 7 weeks Second FET: 2 embryos, resulted in twins (now 14 months old)
Consult $250 IUI around $700 (x3) IVF- guarantee cycle, 2nd tier- $17,500 (covered IVF, retrieval, both FETs) Meds- around $3500 total for all procedures HSG- $500 Polypectomy- $200 Our total for all procedures, meds, etc was about $30,000
She strongly encouraged single embryo transfer, but let us make our own decision about transferring one or two embryos. She was very clear about the risks of transferring multiple embryos and her rationale for her recommendations.
SLC

The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They [University of Utah] are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back.... They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back. I was happy that I got the team that I did, because they were always so welcoming. At my old clinic, it wasn't that way. So this was a refreshing way to feel going into a doctors office. Doctors offices aren't normally as kind and welcoming as Dr. Johnstone's office is. But I love this clinic and have referred many of my friends who are also having fertility problems. With the help of Dr. Johnstone and her team, she was able to help my friend have her first baby after trying for a very long time. I am excited for my next visit to their office.
Erica never spoke to me like I was just another patient. She was kind and made sure she knew my case and what I was there for and guided me along the way. She has always been there to answer any of my questions and never made me feel like she was in a rush to get to the next appointment.
They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly. I went embarrassed for being there the first time, but then they made it comfortable that the next times I went, I wasn't embarrassed.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She never made me feel like I was a worthless case. She explained to me that my age is a factor, but there were atleast 10 things I could try before I had a hysterectomy. She was compassionate when things didn't work and made sure that I knew that I wasn't a lost cause. I never felt like my needs or concerns were pushed aside and she took time to listen to all of my questions and concerns.
Go see her! She is amazing!
Started Letrozole 2.5 mg and then made an ultrasound appointment. Start taking the Ovulation predictor tests ever day and have intercourse the day it turns positive and the following 2 days. Also took norethindrone and increased the amount of letrozole to 7.5 mg.
I don't remember.
SLC

Our nurse [University of Utah] was very helpful and responsive. My questions (via their messaging software) were answered very quickly.... I loved how frequently we were able to meet with our Dr (not always common among other practices). I didn’t love some of the other doctors. I had to meet with one during an emergency Sunday ultrasound when I was miscarrying. He was very blunt and not very sensitive during this imaginably difficult time.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Dorais was so caring and personable. As I was going through our first miscarriage she was extremely sensitive and helpful through the process. She made personal phone calls to congratulate us after we found out we were pregnant (both times!). She thoroughly and carefully helped us understand the basic science behind why we weren’t able to get pregnant to that point and helped us understand our treatment options based on that understanding. She never pushed us into one treatment or another and always asked what we felt comfortable moving forward with and at what times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Kathryn)
Our nurse was very helpful and responsive. My questions (via their messaging software) were answered very quickly.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais is sweet and compassionate. I always felt well cared for and “heard” as her patient. She never pushed us into a treatment, it was always the pace that we were comfortable with. She always had time for us and our questions. We never felt rushed during our visits with her.
Feel empowered about your healthcare and treatment options because she will absolutely address them. I one time hesitated about a particular treatment and timing that she had recommended. She immediately sensed that and asked what our preference was and followed through with that.
We used the highest dosage of Femara because all clomid dosages hadnt resulted in ovulation. Because of this she recommended we start with the highest dosage of femara and we were able to get pregnant immediately. The first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage (HCG levels weren’t growing appropriately). Our second round we were able to get pregnant again.
Most of our treatments were covered under our insurance

2014 - 2017
4 IUI, IVF
Our sweet nurse [at the University of Utah-SLC] was the perfect partner to Dr. Peterson. She was so warm, and so supportive. If I had questions, which I did. She was so quick to respond. She was everything I could have hoped for in a nurse through this process... The clinic was so professionally ran. The staff were all sweet, Empathetic and proficient.... He [Dr. Matthew Petereson] is wonderful. Ask as many questions as you want/need. He will answer them, and re-answer them. He knows how overwhelming this process can be
2014 - 2017
4 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
From the moment I met Dr. Petterson, it was as if we had known eachother forever. He not only treats me like his only patient, but a dear friend. Through this long and sometimes painful process, it can be so overwhelming and stressful. He will hold my hand say "if you were my daughter"... or just hold my hand while I cry. He is brilliant, I more than trust him with this delicate and special endeavor, of helping my husband and I become parents, I depend on him. He calls after clinical hours, to check in me physically and emotionally. He is a life long friend, and a blessing in our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Charie )
Our sweet nurse was the perfect partner to Dr. Peterson. She was so warm, and so supportive. If I had questions, which I did. She was so quick to respond. She was everything I could have hoped for in a nurse through this process
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson has decades of experience and success. He is as warm, kind and empathetic as he is knowledgeable. He made special efforts to check in with me and my husband, individually- to see how we are doing. He knows the importance and sacrifice couples make to have their children, and is so sensitive to that fact. I have never felt like a "number/patient" always a friend. He is a kind and Christlike man, who will be your greatest ally through your infertility journey.
He is wonderful. Ask as many questions as you want/need. He will answer them, and re-answer them. He knows how overwhelming this process can be
Ever since the beginning, we have yet to find a "problem" with me or my husband. Not for a lake of testing Given the fact that we are both healthy, with what we can foresee, no issues... Dr. Petterson started me on a birth control, to regulate my cycle. Once it came time I started Gonal-F and menopur. We chose to do a frozen cycle, once time came to implant our frozen embryo, we then began progesterone shots. Dr. Peterson chose a normal dose and schedule for what my "case" was. His approach is, not to throw anything and everything, with hopes of a positive result. He, along with the board of Dr's in the clinic, study my case and decide what route is best.
14k-18k
Dr. Petterson believes the most important thing, is a positive, successful pregnancy. For the baby and mother. He always recommends one embryo transfer at a time, and shows data and fact in the differences with single and multiple pregnancies. Risk Factor. However, he knows this is a personal decision, and allows his patients to make the decision based on one embryo or two. He wants you to know all the facts, so you can make the best decision.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
All of the nursing staff [at the Univ of Utah] have been very friendly and helpful. They are all very on top of things and very compassionate. At the clinic it is a nurse that performs the IUI. I've had the same nurse each time and she has been amazing. She explains things really well and answers all questions. She is compassionate and encouraging. She was also good at keeping an awkward and stressful situation very light.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I really like the clinic. It is in a convenient location for where I work. It is easy to find. The inside of the clinic is very inviting and everything is run really well.
Dr. Dorais is the sweetest doctor. You can tell that she genuinely cares about more than just a chart or increasing success numbers. She was very open about next steps and included us in the decision making.
All of the nursing staff have been very friendly and helpful. They are all very on top of things and very compassionate. At the clinic it is a nurse that performs the IUI. I've had the same nurse each time and she has been amazing. She explains things really well and answers all questions. She is compassionate and encouraging. She was also good at keeping an awkward and stressful situation very light.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr Dorais is an amazing doctor. I came to her with a diagnosis of unexplained fertility from a previous RE. She dug deeper and diagnosed me with endometriosis and my husband with low morphology. It was nice to finally have some answers. She was very open and compassionate. She did a great job of explaining things in layman terms. She laid out the options nicely and involved my husband and I in the decision making.
Go see Dr. Dorais! She is amazing!
We have only been seeing her for a few months so we do not have any positive pregnancy tests yet, but I am hopeful. After discussing our previous treatments and tests and some of my current symptoms she gave the option to dig a little deeper. I was put on birth control and had a laparoscopy done that same month. She found a mild case of endometriosis. She gave us the option to try naturally or with drugs and IUI. She suggested the IUI's because I was more fertile after have the excision of endometriosis. We tried one month naturally and are now onto our 2nd IUI.
The costs were pretty typical. I did have insurance to help cover some of it though. They were quite affordable for IUI.
This hasn't applied to our situation yet.
SLC

Strength [of Univ of Utah]: local, easy to contact, prompt, good communication via My chart (email). Weaknesses: inconsistencies between what doc says & business office in regard to financial matters. And as I keep saying, too much time spent with techs & nurses, not enough time with Docs, especially for the significant out of pocket expenses.... Lee Cherie Booth is amazing. End of story. The rest of the nursing staff seems so-so compared to a few years ago. Too many techs, not enough time with the Doc.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strength: local, easy to contact, prompt, good communication via My chart (email). Weaknesses: inconsistencies between what doc says & business office in regard to financial matters. And as I keep saying, too much time spent with techs & nurses, not enough time with Docs, especially for the significant out of pocket expenses.
I felt (whether actual or perceived, I don't know) like he was judging (very discretely) my status as a single mom, and possibly, again very subtly, my non-membership in the dominant faith in Utah).
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very intelligent, and has a fair/good bedside manner. Unfortunately, he wasn't involved enough in my monitoring (compared to previous IVF doc); techs & nurses did everything after the initial consultation until the retrieval. I was disappointed, and didn't FEEL like he was involved enough (although he said he reviewed every lab & Ultrasound). In fairness, at the completion of the failed IVF Cycle I told him how I felt, and he said he could be more involved in future cycles. One final dissatisfaction: he says things about financial matters and then the clinic business office contradicts him. Very frustrating.
Tell him that you want HIM to do your monitoring ultrasounds himself...not the techs.
Supplements: Pregnitude, L-Arginine, Baby Aspirin, DHEA, COENZYME Q 10, Melatonin, Serovital. Meds: Clomid, Cetrotide, Menopur, Gonal F, and Pregnyl trigger.
Roughly $19,000 -20,000 for IVF cycle (egg retrieval), meds, and genetic screen. Another $4-500 for FET & meds.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
I loved it [U of Utah]. Very clean and nice...My nurse was incredible. She took the brunt of all the craziness and medications. I would email her and she took the time to call me back not email me. It was nice to talk to a real person. She was so organized and help me understand all my levels during the monitoring appointments....It was about 9000 for the IVF cycle...She [Dr. Dorais] took her time, and never made me feel like a burdened.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I loved it. Very clean and nice, but takes a while to get there especially during traffic times.
She treated me so kindly. She made sure that we were on the same page through every appointment, that if i had any questions i knew she was available to answer. She took her time, and never made me feel like a burdened. Even when she was running late she took the time to talk with him after we found out we were not pregnant. She is a real gem
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais was a real compassionate knowledgeable doctor. She knew how important having a baby was and is to me and she was willing to do anything. She made sure i understood everything and what would happen next.
Come with all of your questions before hand-it is well worth having everything you want to know written down because she will take the time to have you understand.
I was on stims medications for a long while. We took it slow because it was my first time and i only had 1 ovary. She really didn't want to overstimulate it. We finally up the dosage and were ready for ER a couple of days later. Everything went smooth and we were happy with the 10 eggs we got. Sadly by day 5 only 2 survived. I reached out to Dr. Dorais because i didn't want to spend money on freezing one and transferring the other. I got to talk with her over the phone and we decided that transferring 2 was a much better option. Sadly we got a BFN but met with her right after to discuss next steps.
It was about 9000 for the IVF cycle and medication was about 4000 on top of that
She said at the beginning that transferring one was good, but because of the egg quality and low count we transferred two. i was happy she would work with me.
SLC

The location [U of Utah] is in Daybreak, South Jordan Utah....Very nice brand new building. I hated the self check in - it took forever....Our first appointment we waited 40 minutes....They [nursing staff] were happy and upbeat and showed appropriate support if something hard happened. I liked them....Dr. Joseph Stanford would respond to my MyChart emails promptly...He changed his billing process while we were with him.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The location is in Daybreak, South Jordan Utah. Kind of for for me. Very nice brand new building. I hated the self check in - it took forever. Pretty low wait time our second appointment. Our first appointment we waited 40 minutes.
Dr. Joseph Stanford would respond to my MyChart emails promptly, he called me after an appointment and asked if it was ok to order one more blood work test. He is very personable and great to count on.
They were happy and upbeat and showed appropriate support if something hard happened. I liked them.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Joseph Stanford had me chart my cycles for two or three months, evaluated it along with my symptoms, and diagnosed me with Endometriosis and pushed me to get a laparoscopy. I have it scheduled, and I am eagerly awaiting to see what my surgeon finds!
His take on fertility takes a longer amount of time, but in the long run, he will get down to the problem and help you solve it, instead of bypass the problem with test tubes and unnecessary meds.
Dr Stanford saw me in Dec 2016, he asked me to begin charting my cycle so he could get an idea of what my body was lacking. He says it is usually hormonal imbalances or blockages. I charted for two months, met with a nurse practitioner who specializes in teaching charting, and then we saw him Feb 8, 2017. He rated my cervical mucus as good, and based on my symptoms, said I had endometriosis and I should get a laparoscopy. Most traditional RE and OB doctors discourage laparoscopy, because of the risks, and he explained the risks, but he said the risks DO NOT outweigh the cons. I don't think I would have ever gotten a laparoscopy if it weren't for him. We will see the results and what they find!
He changed his billing process while we were with him. He started billing things separately and billing for MyChart email questions, I think.
SLC

She [nurse at University of Utah] was well organized. She printed us out a calendar and it explained when and what to take each day. If I had any questions I could call or email her...Fresh cycle with ICSI was about $12,500. Meds for fresh cycle (I was worst case scenario) were around $8000. Frozen transfer with all meds and needed tests cost about $5000...I felt like the clinic was very busy. There was a bit of a backlog to get in initially. It took like 2 months to get the initial appointment. Once you got that appointment and got on the schedule to get going, it went faster, but getting in took time. Honestly, I was a bit impatient with the time it took, but they get results and they have great care. It's worth the wait if you want to get pregnant.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
She was very honest about our possibilities and she was very caring. I really loved working with her and felt like she really cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah.
She was well organized. She printed us out a calendar and it explained when and what to take each day. If I had any questions I could call or email her. She was prompt to replay.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She was a great doctor. She went over the egg count, maternal age, embryo quality and explained our possibilities. I really felt like she was there to help us conceive and would do everything she could to make that happen.
This doctor is really smart. She's going to do all she can to help you have a baby. Listen to her and follow the plan she outlines exactly.
During the egg retrieval, I had lots of shots. Some of the medicines had to be mixed. I took them at the same time each day. I had gonal-f, HGH, Lupron, and a few other medicines. After the egg retrieval, we transferred in 2 fresh day 5 embryos. We had 2 lower quality ones to freeze. Both eggs took and one split. We successfully had triplets. We went to Dr. Johnstone for our second transfer of frozen embryos. We put in 2 lower quality embryos and hoped for the best. After the transfer I also had shots each day of progesterone. I also had some pills to take each day. I had an alarm set and would take the medicine at the same time each day. Same with the shots.
Give my age and the quality of the embryos, she reccommended we put 2 in. We had the option of 1, but given our situation, we had a better chance of a pregnancy with 2 embryos. We were given the statistics each time.

1 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Facility [U of Utah] was quick with appointments and the environment was nice. Scheduling was a nightmare. Only a few times did they take into consideration we drove 7 hours one way. Months to get an appointment scheduled. The flow of the office was odd, you had to walk in to the waiting room but had to walkout of clinic and down hall for semen sample area as well as ultra sound. iui time we were in 3 different rooms total which was stressful and felt people kept looking at us every time we went to a new area of the building
1 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Facility was quick with appointments and the environment was nice. Scheduling was a nightmare. Only a few times did they take into consideration we drove 7 hours one way. Months to get an appointment scheduled. The flow of the office was odd, you had to walk in to the waiting room but had to walkout of clinic and down hall for semen sample area as well as ultra sound. iui time we were in 3 different rooms total which was stressful and felt people kept looking at us every time we went to a new area of the building. The parking wasn't the best and the clinic was limited seating very tight waiting area. I did like the online charting but getting records was a nightmare, and you never seem to talk to the same person anytime you call. Its someone new and not one person knows the same things. We had a lot of miscommunications, blood work we had to drive another 10 minuets to the hospital to the lab and parking there was even worse a 15 min walk from the parking garage to the lab and about a 30 to 45 minuets wait. Results were quick which was great but the time it took to find parking and get in and out I would have almost wanted to go to a different lab. Appointments were okay ideas are discussed but again I feel that they didn't have my care or goals in mind. Some of the easiest testing that was done very first at my new clinic was never discussed at U of U. I feel that had we done this test in the beginning I would likely already have my child via IVF that we could have done from the start instead of wasting years of failed medications and money. Knowing that not even an iui would have worked via this test. I also don't like that two labs in our home town had semen analysis that were within normal but U of U said my husbands numbers were zero. Not sure how you go from having at least 30% morphology to 0% in 3 months time.
Instead of adequate testing for my infertility I was told I likely was suffering PCOS and needed to result to IVF after one failed IUI because my husbands numbers were less then desired. Oddly enough his counts prior to Utah were within normal limits but results there were considered zero. Every time I called I got someone different and had NP answering questions who I had never even met.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She was very kind and appeared concerned. However she failed to check my tubes and continued treatments that ideally would never work. We wasted money to be told ultimately IVF was our only choice. After spending 5k we could have put toward IVF on treatments that were a waste.
Ask for all diagnostic testing and verify fallopian tubes are open. do semen analysis prior with another facility prior so you have a baseline to compare. Honestly felt they were only after money and not my best interest.
First we tried several rounds of femara with timed intercourse, followed by an ultrasound to check my ovaries (guessing, wasn't explained) and then a medicated IUI. We had several semen analysis and then told we needed an ivf consult because my husbands numbers.
Was "discounted" according to facility but we paid cash each time we went in as our health insurance didn't cover costs. Our new clinic is considerably cheaper.

2012 - 2016
The clinic [Univ of Utah- SLC] is nice. Seems to be well organized most of the time. I liked it better when the actual fertility doctors did all the ultrasounds. It felt more personable. When they had the fellow do it, it felt like they didn’t know what they were doing. They always had to go to the dr with the info and make a plan rather than just having the dr do it all like they did when I was there in 2012.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is nice. Seems to be well organized most of the time. I liked it better when the actual fertility doctors did all the ultrasounds. It felt more personable. When they had the fellow do it, it felt like they didn’t know what they were doing. They always had to go to the dr with the info and make a plan rather than just having the dr do it all like they did when I was there in 2012.
In 2012 Dr. Johnstone (or another doctor) was much more involved in the decisions. In 2016, most of the work was done by nurses/residents or fellows.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
I felt like the nurses did the best they could. They were obviously busy and would try to get hold of the dr when needed to for medication changes, etc.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone is an excellent listener. She is very calm, reassuring and understanding. She explains the treatments well. She is always willing to discuss your concerns. I had done a lot of research after my first IVF and she was willing to try new things to make sure we were successful.
Ask plenty of questions!
I am not sure of the name of the protocol. I was on birth control, then lupron, then stims for both cycles. I feel my ovaries were oversupressed my second cycle as I had a very good AMH, but had a hard time getting the eggs to grow and my estrogen to rise. HGH was added to my second cycle due to my age (35 at the time).
The cost of the IVF cycle was around $10,000 for everything done at the clinic. The consultation and saline ultrasound were covered by insurance. The medications cost around $4000 the first time and $5200 the second time.
I had 2 embryos transferred my first cycle per the dr’s suggestion. That resulted in a singleton pregnancy. There was only one viable embryo for the second transfer, which also resulted in a successful Singleton pregnancy.
SLC

The biggest problem was that I could never get in touch with them [University of Utah fertility staff] when I needed to. Case in point -- I needed to have a D&C after my miscarriage. The scheduler left a voicemail with an appointment time that didn't work for my work schedule. I left two voicemails and sent two emails over the next 48 hours, and no one ever got back to me.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I do not think that they are using the most up to date protocols. They also rotate the doctors through multiple locations, so I often had to drive much further than I would have liked to see my doctor on certain days.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore spent significant time with my husband and me during our appointments. He made sure to answer all of our questions and never rushed us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Carver)
In general, most of the nurses I saw were compassionate and kind. The U of U patient portal is also very good for communicating with the nurses. My biggest frustration was the inability to ever speak to a nurse on the phone. No one ever answers the IVF nurse line. It says they will return messages within 24 hours, but I found that not to be true. I had better luck with emailing and getting an emailed response back, but there were times when I just wanted to speak to someone and found it so frustrating not to be able to. For example, I did my HCG tests out of state, while traveling. The lab order did not have all the information the lab needed to do the test. I just needed to get a nurse on the phone to provide the missing information -- instead, I sat at the lab for an hour waiting for one of the nurses to email me back.
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
I liked Dr. Moore as a person; however, I felt that the protocol was not optimized for my particular circumstances. It seemed like all patients get pretty much the same protocol with just the medication amounts changed. I had done some reading online about diminished ovarian reserve, and there were a lot of opinions that birth control should be used sparingly for DOR patients, whereas Dr. Moore wanted me on them for 5 weeks. I sent him a note asking whether this was the right protocol but never heard back. I wished I had refused to go forward until hearing his justification for that protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
I would not recommend the U of U clinic if you have a more complex fertility problem, as I don't think they have the most cutting edge protocols.
Describe the protocols Andrew Moore used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I was on birth control for five weeks, then Gonal-F, Menopur, and Saizen. I started Cetrotide on day 6 and triggered at day 8. They retrieved 6 eggs, did not do ICSI, and 2 fertilized. Both made it to day 5, although 1 was only a morula. We transferred the blastocyst and I had a positive pregnancy test, but a miscarriage at 8 weeks. The morula did not survive to day 6 for freezing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Moore at University of Utah.
$8,900 for the IVF cycle (no ICSI). The medications came to about $5,000.
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah.

Everyone at the clinic [University of Utah] was friendly and professional. We knew we could talk to any of the nurses or staff, and they would be willing to help us. The only downfall is that the doctors work by week. So if our transfer fell on a week that Dr. Link wasn’t doing the transfer we would have a different doctor do the transfer. Or we could push our transfer schedule back to make sure we got the doctor we wanted... Our total round of IVF was just about $15,000.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everyone at the clinic was friendly and professional. We knew we could talk to any of the nurses or staff, and they would be willing to help us. The only downfall is that the doctors work by week. So if our transfer fell on a week that Dr. Link wasn’t doing the transfer we would have a different doctor do the transfer. Or we could push our transfer schedule back to make sure we got the doctor we wanted
Dr Links bedside manner was AMAZING. and that is an understatement. She explained everything from start to finish and made sure we felt comfortable and answered all of our questions. She took her time with us and not once did we feel rushed. We had certain things we wanted to do after the transfer and she was completely okay with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi ?)
The nurse Heidi was awesome as well. She made sure I had a calendar well in advance. And explained everything so well. We left her office feeling confident we knew what to do. We also knew that if we had any questions we could call her or shoot her a message and we would hear back in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
I don’t have one complaint about Dr. Link. She was amazing. She explained everything in detail and took her time taking care of us. She made sure we felt comfortable and allowed us to do things that we felt were necessary during our transfer. She was kind and patient and understanding.
Be prepared to never want to see another doctor. Our appointment was set months out because she is so well liked.
We went into our appointment thinking we were going to transfer 2 embryos. Dr link explained to us the risk of doing so and let us know why it wasn’t best to do so regarding our situation.
Our total round of IVF was just about $15,000. Our first transfer didn’t work, then with Dr. Link we did a FET. That cost right around 7,000. We have frozen embryos which is about $500 a year. And we also have frozen sperm which is about $500 a year as well.
SLC

I really like all of the nurses that I have been in contact with [at University of Utah]. They are all knowledgeable and kind...It was about $15,000 with meds for our first round. It was about $20,000 with meds for our second. That was a 3 cycle guarantee one so we just paid for meds for our third. We are going to do another frozen transfer and that will be around $4,000 with meds...I would say that scheduling is definitely the most frustrating thing for me with the clinic. I also don’t love that there isn’t really any care given once you have finished the cycle. I like the care throughout the process though.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
He is good at making feel at ease whenever we are around him. He is very candid about the science side of things, but will also give his opinion or view:
I really like all of the nurses that I have been in contact with. They are all knowledgeable and kind.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The one thing I don’t love about going to Dr. Peterson is that they work as a team of doctors so it isn’t always the easiest to see him. We want him to do our frozen transfer this next time and will have to wait four months for him to do it. It also took us four months to get in for a consultation. So, it going to take us eight months from when we first reached out to the doctors office. They are really really busy there, but it is worth it to wait for us because we want to be working with him. We like him and feel most comfortable with him.
He can be kind of blunt and to the point, which is something my husband and I like about him, but he can also be very compassionate and warm. So, if you don’t want some bluntness, and only want warm fuzzies, maybe he isn’t the doctor for you. You also need to be willing to wait a little longer for treatments or be willing to see another doctor on the team.
I did 2 retrievals and 3 transfers and that was a couple of years ago so I honestly couldn’t tell you specifics, especially since 1 was a frozen transfer so the protocol was different. I took Menopur, Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. The upped all of these and added HGH on my second retrieval. I also did the progesterone each time. I also get on a birth control for the month before injections each time.
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
He clinic [U of Utah] was fine for me. It is a teaching hospital/clinic so students are around often. If someone is uncomfortable with a student assisting or watching you had to let them know. Also, there is a large team of doctors so you will likely see all different doctors if you don’t make it clear that you want to see the same one every time.... We spent (including medications) between $12,000-$16,000 for each round of IVF.
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
He clinic was fine for me. It is a teaching hospital/clinic so students are around often. If someone is uncomfortable with a student assisting or watching you had to let them know. Also, there is a large team of doctors so you will likely see all different doctors if you don’t make it clear that you want to see the same one every time.
He remembered details about us and our lives. He would ask us how things in our lives outside of fertility were going. He really got to know a little more about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee-Sheri)
She was kind and easy to get in touch with or talk to. I felt that my husband and I were rare cases but we spoke with our Dr more than we did nurses.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
We never got the results we wanted from seeing Doctor Peterson, never had a healthy pregnancy or delivered a baby. However we had a very positive and encouraging experience. He was kind and caring. He went out of his way to do all he could for us.
If you don’t understand what he is explaining to you, just ask and he’ll find a way to make sure you understand. He is brilliant and knows so much that I had to remind him that I didn’t always know the basics. We loved working with him.
We did our first round of IVF with a pretty standard protocol because all testing results pointing to that. I hyper stimulated and had to have a freeze all cycle at the last minute. He was fabulous about my after care. We then did a frozen transfer of 2 embryos which yielded what appeared to be a twin pregnancy. It ended with a miscarriage which again, he handled our aftercare greatly and encouraged us to do another round. We did another fresh cycle, antagonist cycle with HGH. It looked to work well and we transferred an embryo that looked like it should work. Unfortunately it did not.
We spent (including medications) between $12,000-$16,000 for each round of IVF. It was around $3,000 for the frozen cycle. We wanted to do a cycle guarantee but were denied.
He seemed to prefer single embryo transfers but gave us all the information we needed to make a proper decision. He supported us when we chose to transfer 2 embryos, and I know he would not have let us make a decision that was not healthy. I knew he’d make sure we couldn’t make a bad decision.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
I met with several different nurses [at University of Utah] and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!... I like that when I go in I don't know people there. Infertility can be difficult especially if you have to explain it to others! They were very respectful of privacy, and didn't make a big deal out of small things.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Erica was very kind, quick to respond to emails, answer our questions and give us excellent advice.
I met with several different nurses and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She seemed very calm and sure. The only thing that I could complain about was her ice cold hands and her "limp-fish" handshake. Haha, but other than that she was kind and happy and gave us great confidence in her and the clinic.
If you choose to see Dr. Johnstown, you will be in good hands...cold hands, but good hands. ;) She will take good care of you. Be optimistic and hopeful, it's all worth it!
I started with a birth control cycle, I think that it lasted a couple months, then we began the hormones to prepare my uterus for a frozen transfer. After a couple ultrasounds, things looked really good and we transferred our last embryos. The embryos we're not of the great quality, so we transferred all 3. Knowing that perhaps a couple might not make it. We were thrilled when we found out we were pregnant!! After 10 days we got to see the tiny embryo and knew that one had made it! I saw my regular obgyn after that at 8 weeks and at 13 weeks. At my 18 week check up we were saddened to discover no heartbeat and a loss of the baby. :( possibly an umbilical accident or an embryo problem. It was heartbreaking. I let Dr. Johnstown know and she was so kind. I felt better after reading her emails.
Appointments just to visit my Dr were about 450.00 frozen transfer cycle costs came to about $5000.00 total. Most if that is for the medications.
She was so good to let us decide. She gave us all the information and left it up to us. I love that she didn't pressure us in any way.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Overall, this clinic was great. The staff was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. At 8 weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily. I called the clinic and they got me in for an ultrasound the very next morning to make sure everything was fine. The doctor on call was so kind. After our ultrasound and everything looked good, she scheduled us for another a few weeks later for peace of mind....We did a guarantee program. We paid $16,000 for one fresh cycle and two frozen of IVF with ICSI. This cost covered appointments, ultrasounds, retrivial, transfer, and shots administered at the clinic. It did not cover medications. I believe we paid around $3,000 for shots and other drugs. The guarantee program did not include the extra ultrasounds I had after I became pregnant.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The only downside, is that the clinic is up by the University of Utah in Salt Lake. I live in Riverton so the driving back and forth so many times was tiresome. Overall, this clinic was great. The staff was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. At 8 weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily. I called the clinic and they got me in for an ultrasound the very next morning to make sure everything was fine. The doctor on call was so kind. After our ultrasound and everything looked good, she scheduled us for another a few weeks later for peace of mind.
Dr. Moore was always straight forward but kind. He always let us know what to expect. Him and his staff were readily available when we had questions. In fact, on the night of our trigger shot for IVF, we were unsure of the dosage and were able to reach him at home to confirm the correct dosage. I would definitely recommend Dr. Moore and the U of U fertility clinic to a friend.
Heidi was great at making sure you knew what to do and what was coming next. She was really straight forward. At first, I thought she was a little cold, but as I got to know her better I realized that was just her personality and that she is a great nurse!
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore was great! He was kind. He was frequently running a little late because he will take extra time with his patients to answer any questions that they may have. Once, the receptionist had mis-typed that our appointment was supposed to 15 minutes instead of 45. Dr. Moore didn't have us reschedule, he made the time to meet with us for the 45 minutes and answer our questions.
Be patient. He may be running late but that is because he is taking good care of his patients.
In our first appointment, he looked over our past tests and suggested that we have another semen analysis completed. The analysis came back showing low sperm motility. From there he suggested a sperm penetration test. That test came back negative. He suggested that we skip IUI or regular IVF because of the results of the test. Thus saving us money in the long run. We did IVF w/ICSI. I was on birth control pills for one month prior. From there, I began taking Menopur then added citrotide. (I can't remember the exact dosage). I went in for an ultrasound every other day during this time to measure my follicle growth. On day 11, I took a trigger shot of HCG and Lupron. A day and half later, I had my retrieval where they retrieved 15 eggs, 9 of those eggs fertilized and 5 made it to day 5. After retrieval, I began taking Crinone (progestrone) and estrogen which I continued until week 10 of pregnancy. We did a day 5 transfer. All of our embryos were average quality. We decided to only transfer one at the encouragement of our doctor. After transfer I was given a dose of Lupron to encourage implantation. This cycle resulted in pregnancy and I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy.
SLC

I tried talking to the nurse [at University of Utah], Dr Moore himself, the office manager, everyone in the office about how awful their service was and how I was not getting adequate treatment. In the moment they always apologized and assured me that things would get better, that theyd get back to me more promptly, that things would change and they NEVER would! I tried to be patient and give them the benefit of a doubt to fix things, but I felt like it got to the point that they just wrote me off and didnt want to help me anymore.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
If you're going to go to the U, DONT go to the Orem office! Ive listed all my concerns answering other questions in this survey.
It wasnt so much that I felt like a number, it was more that I coulsnt ever get the care I needed in a timely manner.
Annie could never do anything in a timely manner. It took her over a week to return any of my phone calls or messages, and when she finally did, it was 1 sentence answers, but never the answers to my questions. (Its all documented on their online portal!) She very rarely knew the answers to any questions I had but she would never find out from someone else for me. She couldn't get my shots ordered or preauthed on time, I had to direct her on what to do most of the time, she never knew what she was doing!! Whenever I voiced my concerns with her ABOUT her, she always acted like she felt so bad for me that I was being treated so bad, like it wasnt HER fault I was having all these problems! I tried to be so patient and understanding with her, but it was like beating a dead horse. I think if it wasnt for her, I would have stayed at their clinic, because I really did like Dr Moore until he started blowing me off. I had talked to other nurses in their slc office who were always so prompt and helpful but they always had to redirect me back to Annie because he was Dr Moores nurse. SO FRUSTRATING!!!!
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
In the beginning, we LOVED Dr Moore! He was treating my aggressive endometriosis to prolong another surgery and to prep for eventual conception. He gave me lots of options, but everything went downhill when he started me on Lupron. Lupron causes horrific side effects when first started and has to be injected in a timely manner to be effective. Out of the 6 injections I had, only 1 OF THEM was on time, which led me to have all these horrific, yet TOTALLY AVOIDABLE side effects. His nurse either couldnt get the injection ordered on time, preauthed in time, really simple and EASY tasks, and would take up to 1 WEEK or longer to get back to me about ANYTHING! I tried talking to the nurse, Dr Moore himself, the office manager, everyone in the office about how awful their service was and how I was not getting adequate treatment. In the moment they always apologized and assured me that things would get better, that theyd get back to me more promptly, that things would change and they NEVER would! I tried to be patient and give them the benefit of a doubt to fix things, but I felt like it got to the point that they just wrote me off and didnt want to help me anymore. Ive worked in healthcare for over 10 years so I understand how it works, and I'm an easy going, patient and understanding person at drs offices BECAUSE of that. But this was just assanine at how terrible the service was. I tried everything! I was only supposed to be on Lupron for a few months, but because I couldnt ever get my shots on time, we had to keep starting over. And almost a year and a half later with injections, I still lost my tubes. Whether that was because the Lupron couldnt so its job due to lack of getting injected on time, or what I dont know. But I had perfect tubes when I first saw Dr Moore, and I lost them by the time I was done seeing him, and it will haunt me forever being robbed of my chance to conceive naturally and will always wonder if it was because of my experience there. So whether this was because the nurse didnt have adequate training, support to do her job, or was just that bad at her job, I dont know. But I am so mad at myself for staying under his care for as long as I did, and am hurt that even though I was so patient with them and their constant errors, they eventually stopped caring about treating me and I suffered the ultimate price because of it.
If his nurse is still Annie, DONT go there and waste your time!!
We were trying to treat my endometriosis to prep for possible fertility treatments. It started with Progesteronen but that wasnt aggressive enough so we started Lupron to avoid another surgery. Thats as far as I got with him and then went to another Clinic because of such terrible service.
My insurance paid for my injections so I only had co-pays and a deductible to meet.
Describe Andrew Moore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
We didnt get that far.

2006 - 2012
10 IUI, 6 IVF, Egg Freezing (cancer), Embryo Freezing
Cancer, Unexplained
The clinic [U of Utah] is very busy. You don't necessarily see the same doctor every time. You can't expect that they remember everything that is going on with you.... Professional, well run, but too big to always keep track of what I needed. It is very nice to have everything there and not have to get parts done anywhere else. Within the clinic, I was a number. [Nursing Staff] Good at each part of administering items. Some instructions on meds an shots were not clear
2006 - 2012
10 IUI, 6 IVF, Egg Freezing (cancer), Embryo Freezing
Cancer, Unexplained
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Professional, well run, but too big to always keep track of what I needed. It is very nice to have everything there and not have to get parts done anywhere else. Within the clinic, I was a number. I went to a smaller clinic after this and liked the feel a lot better.
The clinic is very busy. You don't necessarily see the same doctor every time. You can't expect that they remember everything that is going on with you. I had to review it alot.
Good at each part of administering items. Some instructions on meds an shots were not clear Very helpful in the office. Did not always follow up on my individual needs after we were out of the office.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is smart and thorough. He is not warm fuzzy and talks a lot about statistics and "take home baby rate". I appreciate direct numbers and statistics, but I often felt like we weren't talking about something that was real for us and trying to produce an actual baby for us. On the other hand we had 3 unsuccessful IVF attempts before the 4th one worked. On a couple of the unsuccessful ones, he personally called us and expressed his sympathy. In that case he was very warm and loving. I would trust him and go to him again, but he is very statistic oriented.
Don't expect to have a warm experience but expect a good experience
This was 10 year ago, so I know things have changed since then. They were not big on forcing the blastocyst then and so I think we transferred our embryos earlier that we could have.
I don't remember the details (we have done IVF 6 times)... $10,00-15,000.
He is very big on transferring as few embryos as you are comfortable with. He is not big on multiples.

2005 - 2012
When I first started going to the U [U of Utah] it was all in the maternity unit. It’s all in its own private department now, all confidential, run smoothly & they care so much about you & your outcome. It’s the best place you would ever want to be.... They were confidential in bringing you into private offices & talking to you about your own specific plan & dates & what to expect & when to come back & if you had any questions. They always seemed happy, knew you by name & still to this day do.
2005 - 2012
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
When I first started going to the U it was all in the maternity unit. It’s all in its own private department now, all confidential, run smoothly & they care so much about you & your outcome. It’s the best place you would ever want to be.
Very personal, he wanted to get to know me & my husband & help us solve why we were not able to get pregnant
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very personal, & has a good bedside manner. He knows what he is doing & I trust him. I started under his care & was put on rotations but because of him I now have 7 children. He is an excellent doctor & I would recommend him to anyone. I have recommended him to several people who have gone through this same struggle as I have & have felt like they didn’t know where to go. Matthew is the answer & the right doctor for anyone. He is the best & I'm so grateful for him.
Trust his decisions & respect what he is doing. He knows what is best for you.
(This was a long time ago)I used lupron, shots under my belly button, follistim, shots around my belly button, & then the “peanut butter” shot in the muscle part of my bottom (HCG?) pregnancy with 4 fresh cycles, one frozen cycle did not work
I don’t remember each component. I just know that it’s expensive & it’s worth it & I would do it all over again!
Matthew felt that I needed to transfer 3 embryos my first try because my chances of getting pregnant were very low. Even after the embryos took my percentages were low resulting in a miscarriage but later found out I was actually pregnant with twins!

2016 - 2019
9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Everything about this clinic [U of Utah] is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy....Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that....Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with.
2016 - 2019
9 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everything about this clinic is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy.
Dr Peterson always takes he time to explain everything and never makes you feel rushed. The minute you start treatments with him, you have his personal cell number if you need anything
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer and Danielle)
Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with. They were extremely helpful and so knowledgeable. We love them!!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is the best doctor I’ve ever been to! He is very knowledgeable when it comes to infertility and I was confident that If anyone could help us get our children here, it would be him. He also has great bedside manner and is very open and honest about why he thinks you should or shouldn’t try certain treatments.
Book the appointment as soon as you can! Because he’s amazing!
We did IUI a few times basically because it’s low cost and worth trying. When that didn’t work, we ended up going with an egg donor and IVF. We were pregnant the first time on both IVF cycles and both resulted in a live birth.
Fertility is very expensive. Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that.
I was happy that he recommended only implanting one egg. Since the embryo quality was so high using a donor egg, our chances were very good to conceive and there can be a lot of complications with multiples.
SLC

The clinic [Univ of UT-SLC] is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.... The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.... We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Dr. Berga is really amazing at what she does, and I say this because she is extremely knowledgeable, but also makes a point to sit down and get to know you. Since she takes the time to do this, she talks to you like she would a good friend whom she cares about. From the moment my husband and I met her, we knew we were in the best of hands.
The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.
How was your experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Dr. Berga is extremely kind and I would trust my life with her. She always made sure that my husband and I understood each step along the way, and assured we were comfortable, not just with the process, but the outcomes, both good and not so good. I would go to her time and time again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Make sure to ask questions! Dr. Berga is more than willing to take the time necessary to assure you know everything you want to know.
Describe the protocols Sarah Berga used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I am currently in the beginning stages. We have started birth control. We are planning on doing an agonist protocol.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Berga at University of Utah.
We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000.
Describe Sarah Berga's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Dr. Berga prefers to do an elective single embryo transfer. She prefers this for several reasons. I am 28 years old, and my eggs are very healthy. Due to my age , Dr. Berga explained that I will have a high success rate. She also explained that with multiple embryo transfer, we are lowering the success rate for our overall transfers (if we do more than one). I also have a smaller frame, and to become pregnant with twins, while a blessing, would be very demanding on my body, and we are looking to prevent that.
Sarah Berga
SLC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
The clinic itself [University of Utah] is on the smaller side but they have it set up in an organized manner and uses every bit of space they have very efficiently. As for weaknesses, I don't really have any complaints. All of the personel that I dealt with were amazing, compassionate given the nature of the office, and knowledgable. You can see that they are all very dedicated to their jobs.... Lisa was very organized and quick to call you back if you had any questions. She was thorough with your care plan and made sure you understood everything before sending you off.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic itself is on the smaller side but they have it set up in an organized manner and uses every bit of space they have very efficiently. As for weaknesses, I don't really have any complaints. All of the personel that I dealt with were amazing, compassionate given the nature of the office, and knowledgable. You can see that they are all very dedicated to their jobs.
Dr. Link actually showed concern for me individually and intently listened to my own concerns and questions. She was very thorough in my care plan and up front with what to expect with a balanced translocation and sending embryos for testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Henderson)
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
We had a few sets backs getting the whole process started but each time, Dr. Link made sure to do follow ups and adjusted the cycle as needed. She was very thorough with descriptions and knowledgable in mine and my partner's specific case. She was pleasant to talk to and showed great compassion when going over our pregnancy history.
Go in there with your questions written down on a piece of paper and be ready to receive a ton of information but don't worry, she will always go back over it or give it to you again if you don't remember it. She also gives plenty of examples to show what to kind of expect.
I completely agree with the single embryo transfer approach that Dr. Link takes. As someone who has high risk pregnancies, it is less riskier for something to go wrong.
SLC

The entire clinic [University of Utah] felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.... We have had a few mixups with medications, and labs being ordered. But the staff was kind and seemed knowledgable, just not all the way put together.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The entire clinic felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was in and out of the appointment quickly. Felt more like the answers to our questions should have been obvious, and he just wanted to move onto treatment and not discuss things as much.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Just know that he's not going to be the most compassionate, but is known for being the best male-factor infertility doctors around.
Describe the protocols James Hotaling used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct. I've continued taking it once my counts improved, as we continue treatments for my wife.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Hotaling at University of Utah.
I don't really remember costs. They seemed to be as we anticipated for specialist visits. The medications prescribed have been reasonably priced.
James Hotaling
SLC

It was difficult to get an appointment [at Univ of Utah]. I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It was difficult to get an appointment, I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
I have good relationships with the staff at the fertility center. They are always friendly and helpful. I am mid treatment currently though
They are helpful and encouraging. Denise has developed a great relationship with my 1 year old son. She always calls and updates me and gen emails me everything we talked about which is wonderful to show my husband as he is at work every time she calls
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is always warm and friendly, makes us feel like she has time to explain everything to us. Which is important and makes us feel as at ease as we can. She offers options and talks us through what we feel is the best for us
Make sure to ask questions and that you understand your treatment plan. It puts you at ease and when you have an understanding as a patient it makes you feel like you are able to handle each step
Menopur, gonal-f to stimulate. cetratide to hell follicles mature. Trigger shot. This is where I am up to now.
Almost $11,000 for the ultrasounds, egg retrieval. $3500 medications $2800 embryo transfer $5000 PGS
We have chosen to do a single transfer if we get this far
SLC

They [University of Utah] are organized and are almost always on schedule. Never had to wait more than 5minutes. They are very friendly. They never make you feel like you are an inconvenience to them. They seem to have it all together, Love them!... Great nurses! They truly care about your journey in getting you pregnant. Communication is excellent. Even after your appointment they are great to reach out to you with test results and answer any questions you may have for them!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are organized and are almost always on schedule. Never had to wait more than 5minutes. They are very friendly. They never make you feel like you are an inconvenience to them. They seem to have it all together, Love them!
Love their clinic. They nurses are nice and care about you. They answer any questions you have. Once you leave they continue to communicate with you, which i love!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Such a great doctor. He cares and really knows so much about infertility. He always has a plan for each and every patient. I feel his staff are up to date with infertility treatments. As a patient I trust him to help us get pregnant.
Don’t be afraid to Ask questions! You will love him and his team.
We did 3 IUI each with Femara (fertility drug similar to clomid). Days 14-17 of cycle I would go in for ultrasounds. Once my egg(s) were ready we would do a trigger shot to force me ovaries to release an egg(s) then would follow that with an IUI 36 hours later. Out of the 3 Rounds of IUI with Dr. Petersen we had 3 failed IUI’s.
Each IUI was $600. They billed my insurance which surprisingly helped out a little, mostly with the ultrasound part of the procedure. Everything else was out of pocket for us.

3 IUI, IVF
The clinic [University of Utah] is great. Good atmosphere. Never running too far behind, so I’m usually not waiting long. I like that I can do multiple things in one visit in a timely manner. I can see a nurse, get my blood drawn and have an ultrasound in less than 30 minutes.... I know an egg retrieval round is around $10,000 plus meds. Embryo transfer around $3500 plus meds.... Denise and all the nurses are great and really good and responding to calls or emails. Denise explains things well and is very knowledgeable about IVF.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is great. Good atmosphere. Never running too far behind, so I’m usually not waiting long. I like that I can do multiple things in one visit in a timely manner. I can see a nurse, get my blood drawn and have an ultrasound in less than 30 minutes.
Dr Johnstone always asks how I’m doing and really listens. She’s helped me and answered all my questions and even consoled me while I cried. But what really impressed me about her is the way she treats my husband. She talks with him and asks him how he is doing and listens the same way that she does with me.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr Johnstone explains everything and gives me time to ask questions. I never feel like I’m wasting her time by asking lots of questions. She is compassionate and knowledgeable. Even when I’ve had failed rounds she personally calls and checks up on me. I always feel better after talking with Dr Johnstone.
Just go and talk with her. I never feel pushed to do something. She gives me options and choices and never is pushy. It doesn’t hurt to talk with her and see what she says.
I know on my current round we added a human growth hormone and did more Lupron.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
This clinic is very self sustaining within the University of Utah medical clinic, so much so that the switchboard was not always able to connect me to Dr. Stanford and they had trouble locating him in the system. It helps to have the direct line. Dr. Stanford is a specialty provider so he works with a unique methodology of care you would not be able to experience with any other provider at University of Utah and most other clinics.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr. Stanford was very personal and took every concern I had very seriously. He was easy to reach and his staff were very helpful as well.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford paid attention to every concern I had. He answered every question clearly and with compassion. He outlined what was happening, what would happen, and alternative plans if things went different than expected.
Trust the doctor, he knows what he is doing!
I had hormonal testing for a monitored cycle to check for imbalances including follicular tracking. We identified a luteal phase defect, poorly regulated cycles and not producing enough progesterone. I took progesterone in the luteal phase to prevent recurrent miscarriage. When I got pregnant again with the progesterone, I was able to carry my pregnancy instead of losing it early.
The costs are minimal because they are associated with dealing with pre-existing reproductive health problems which are causing infertility. Since the treatment is focused on dealing with underlying health problems, my health insurance covered all my treatment.
Describe Joseph Stanford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
This doctor does not perform IVF. He focuses on how to naturally achieve pregnancy without invasive procedures.
SLC

I really love the nursing staff here [U of Utah]. They reach out to you, and make sure that you understand what's happening...I love the staff here. I really like that the clinic is open on Saturday's, and that I can come in without skipping work. My biggest complaints would be that while most of their doctors are great, I have been to a couple that I would never recommend. They lack a little bit of consistency in their practices. The other complaint that I had is their facilities. The first time that we went their, we went to the hospital, and were impressed with how nice it looked. However, as we got closer and closer to the OBGYN clinic there, the worse it looked.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I love the staff here. I really like that the clinic is open on Saturday's, and that I can come in without skipping work. My biggest complaints would be that while most of their doctors are great, I have been to a couple that I would never recommend. They lack a little bit of consistency in their practices. The other complaint that I had is their facilities. The first time that we went their, we went to the hospital, and were impressed with how nice it looked. However, as we got closer and closer to the OBGYN clinic there, the worse it looked. For a facility that's known to be on the cutting edge, it doesn't look very cutting age, it looks like it's stuck in the 80's. If I hadn't had a good experience with the doctors, I probably wouldn't have gone back.
I really love the care that Dr Johnstone provided for both my husband and me. While she may not be available all the time, she has excellent staff. When we suffered our first miscarriage, we went to a different doctor that was horrible, but we spoke to the staff there, and she was able to make us an appointment to come in on Monday(the next business day) and talk to us about a plan, and double check that the previous doctor was correct. (He wasn't). She hadn't physically seen us in months, and was still able to remember the conversations that we had. She really seems like she cares about you as a person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
I really love the nursing staff here. They reach out to you, and make sure that you understand what's happening. They always get back to me when they say they will, and they are always so personable and seem to remember every detail about your health history.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I have really loved Dr Johnstone. She takes time to visit with you, and make sure every question that you have is answered. She is honest with you, and really tells you like it is, which I really appreciate. She's really hard to get in with, but she's awesome when you can.
Be candid and open with her. Expect her to be extremely open with you about exactly where you're at.
I started with 4 different levels of clomid, and 3 different doses of Femara, and then got pregnant, and miscarried. Still trying with Femara.
SLC

They [Univ of Utah- SLC] work hard at getting you in quickly. Don't be afraid to ask for earlier appointments. They were flexible and I really appreciated that. They may try to push research studies, it's ok to say no.... I had a biopsy and waited to receive an email that everything was ok. A phone call would have been nice. I was so worried.... metformin letrozole TIC HSG I never followed his advice, I found a new doctor
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They work hard at getting you in quickly. Don't be afraid to ask for earlier appointments. They were flexible and I really appreciated that. They may try to push research studies, it's ok to say no.......................................
Dr Peterson was more interested in getting us enrolled in his study than explaining what we were being seen for. He spent more time explaining his study than my condition. He didn't even touch me or examine me other than shake my hand.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
I felt like Dr. Peterson is well qualified. He's got all the bells and whistles to to speak, but his bed side manner was lacking. When I'd go in for appointments alone, he was always very flat. When my husband would come with me, he was much more warm. I didn't get that. The had a situation and needed to be seen quickly, the physician began the pelvic exam without another assistant in the room. He was in such a rush he gave me a paper and pen to write down measurements for my own exam. I don't know how this in any capacity is appropriate. The MA came in shortly after beginning the exam. But I didn't like his manner or lack of professionalism. I transferred care shortly after that experience. I have other friends who rave about him. But he was a disappointment.
Go with your gut. If a doctor doesn't feel right, keep hunting
metformin letrozole TIC HSG I never followed his advice, I found a new doctor
SLC

I think U of U is state of the art with their processes and fertility treatments. I think they can be more expensive than other clinics and less personalized in their approach. But they make up for that with being well run and very current on fertility procedures.... Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300... They were great overall. I sometimes wished I had a dedicated nurse or coordinator though.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
She is extremely kind and focused on your care. She made me feel special by really listening to me, and ensuring I understood exactly what the process was.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Her strengths are that she is very kind, soft spoken, and delivers information in a clear manner. She wants you to be comfortable with her treatment approach and strongly takes your opinion into consideration. Her weakness is that she is almost too nice. I look at her as the expert and wanted her to be more open about what she thought I should do. I think it's great to have options and to know ultimately my opinion will be heard and followed, but I appreciate her expertise and think she should more strongly state what her educated opinion is. That would have helped me make better decisions.
Be sure to let her know you consider her to be the expert, and that you want her educated opinion.
She started me out slowly by having me try Femara first, followed by Femara plus IUI, followed by IVF. She was willing to be as aggressive or as cautious with treatment as I wanted to be.
Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300
Not applicable

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
we've decided to stay at the U [of Utah] because of how great our experience has been with the clinic. The wait time is hardly anything, and the communication is excellent, which is very important to me....[Nurses] Very sweet and VERY responsive....Our IUI cycles were around 260 I believe + cost of ultrasound, and trigger shot with meds were less than $40. Surgery costs were as expected...costs at the U seem competitive with other clinics around us.
European, Latino
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Even though our doctor is moving clinics and we love her, we've decided to stay at the U because of how great our experience has been with the clinic. The wait time is hardly anything, and the communication is excellent, which is very important to me.
She was so kind and sweet and we really felt like she cared. We trust her very much!
Very sweet and VERY responsive.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
We loved Jessie. She made us feel very comfortable and we trust her judgement. We did 3 IUI treatments with her, as well as a laparoscopy after the 3 failed IUIs which diagnosed some Endo, and we had to have a tube removed. She took great care of us and her bedside manner was SO great! She always made us feel more relaxed, and hopeful.
She just recently left the U clinic, so she's no longer there :(
We did 3 IUIs - no known male factor based on semen analysis. First round 50 mg clomid cycle days 3-7 with Ovidrel trigger shot, then IUI after that. Negative pregnancy test. Second round switched to letrozol, 5 mg with ovidrel trigger shot, negative pregnancy test. 3rd round upped letrozol to 7.5 mg with ovdirel trigger shot, still negative pregnancy test.
Very reasonable. Our IUI cycles were around 260 I believe + cost of ultrasound, and trigger shot with meds were less than $40. Surgery costs were as expected. We're moving onto IVF in May, and costs at the U seem competitive with other clinics around us.
SLC

I never had to wait long for my appointment [at U of Utah]. They were great with scheduling and in passing along any info to my doctor. The only thing that was hard is that they don't allow children so some sort of childcare would be a nice addition. Other than that I have no complaints...The nursing staff was amazing. They made me feel comfortable whenever I came in. When I was nervous for IUI's or anything else they talked me through it and were comforting.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I never had to wait long for my appointment. They were great with scheduling and in passing along any info to my doctor. The only thing that was hard is that they don't allow children so some sort of childcare would be a nice addition. Other than that I have no complaints.
Dr. Dorais took as much time as I needed to answer my questions. I felt like she was really invested in helping me to get pregnant.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais was such a caring doctor. Infertility is a very hard and emotional thing to go through. She had sympathy for me and took the time to answer any questions I had. She drew pictures and was very detailed to help me to understand. When I had set backs she adjusted the plan. She was very responsive throughout the process.
Definitely see Dr. Dorais. I really loved her.
We started with clomid. I had a strong side effects so after one month we switched to Letrozole. We then added IUIs and did 3 of those. It was decided between me and Dr. Dorais to take a break to save money, and mentally prepare for IVF. We are now moving forward with IVF.
$1500 - for iuis and testing/ultrasounds
Dr. Dorais had a strong recommendation for a single embryo transfer instead of a multiple. She said that the research that is out there and my age she would just do a single embryo which I agreed with.

5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
They [Univ of UT] are very professional and research oriented, but not as warm as other clinics I have worked with. Sometimes the nurses communication style with a little bit terse for me. I felt as if they didn’t have a lot of time to answer my questions. There wasn’t a lot of personal connection with them.... The staff there is good, but they are very busy. I sometimes feel a little bit like a number.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very professional and research oriented, but not as warm as other clinics I have worked with. Sometimes the nurses communication style with a little bit terse for me. I felt as if they didn’t have a lot of time to answer my questions. There wasn’t a lot of personal connection with them.
Dr. Peterson learned about my family and my story. He always valued my intelligence and was clear about his opinion for best treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson did a wonderful job of explaining to me why a single embryo transfer was the best choice for our family. He was respect full but firm about what research showed. I felt like I was in the hands of the most responsible for fertility specialist out there.
He is more conservative than a lot of specialist in the area, but he knows his stuff and you should listen to the advice he gives you.
He felt very strongly that we should do a single embryo transfer even though we had done a two embryo transfer in the past. He wanted to do a test transfer, which I wasn’t thrilled about. An endometrial scratch is supposed to be very painful, but it was nearly painless because he is so good at what he does.
The frozen embryo transfer was about $3500
Already stated.
SLC

The nursing staff [at U of Utah] was excellent! They were full of compassion, knowledge and I answered every question I had. I never felt stupid if I asked the same question each appointment. Their reassurance and positivity is essential and so helpful...I checked multiple clinics and they seem to be right in line and very competitive...I wish they had a yoga room so that we could go in and meditate and relax before procedures. Otherwise it was excellent.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Dr Link spent a ton of time with us and checked in with us along the way. All the nurses did a great job too.
The nursing staff was excellent! They were full of compassion, knowledge and I answered every question I had. I never felt stupid if I asked the same question each appointment. Their reassurance and positivity is essential and so helpful.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Dr link was compassionate and caring. She spent over an hour with us initially explaining what steps would occur. I thought that she was intelligent, well spoken and answered any and all questions. She is around 35 years old. Dr. Link Has an amazing bedside manner.
Know that you were not going to see her at each appointment.
Due to my age Dr. Link said we will try three IUI's and if they were unsuccessful we would move to in vitro in may. We would increase the Clomid as needed. Everything happened exactly as planned and the nursing staff was incredibly diligent in making sure I was comfortable with everything throughout the process. Because I was 41 after three IUI's in vitro was the next step and recommended in order to be more aggressive due to age.
Na

Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality
The total cost for us [at University of Utah] was around $12,000. The cost included appointments with Dr. Moore, blood work, ultrasounds, all of the medicine, the anesthesia, egg retrieval and the embryo transfer...Everyone here is very nice...The clinic is clean and up to date. It is a bit smaller but that doesn't mean the technology