675 Arapeen Way
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
801-213-4500

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Letourneau has great bedside manner, he is kind and listens to his patients concerns. He is empathetic...He is concerned about how medical treatments for reproduction can feel clinical and tried to make my husband and I feel like we were making informed decisions for our family but did not feel overtly medical and cold.
The [University of Utah] clinic was undergoing some remodeling when I was receiving treatment. It was older but clean. The waiting room was small and felt smaller during COVID with chairs blocked off. It would have been nice to have a place to get water or snacks after blood draws...The nurses pointed us to online trainings for injections. They answered or questions and were kind. Our nurse was not as warm as I would have expected but in the end she was helpful in getting test results validated.
How was your experience with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Dr Letourneau has great bedside manner, he is kind and listens to his patients concerns. He is empathetic, when I told him that I didn't like needles he told me about his similar dislike and talked me through how long the treatment would be and how he had confidence that I could concor my fear for my greatest wish to become a mom. He is great at explaining female anatomy and hormones and reproduction. He even sketched diagrams to help illustrate what needed to happen for a positive pregnancy. He is concerned about how medical treatments for reproduction can feel clinical and tried to make my husband and I feel like we were making informed decisions for our family but did not feel overtly medical and cold.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Be open. Let him guide you. Ask a million questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Dr. Letourneau took the time to get to know my husband and I. He asked us about our personal life's, professions, hobbies relationship and really got to know us as a couple. He took the time to explain the procedures to us.
Describe the protocols Joseph Letourneau used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I believe it was an angonist protocol but can't remember for sure. I was giving injectables for about two weeks with blood tests and follicle checks weekly then daily the second week. I reacted well to the lowest level of drugs. I had hyper stimulation and had to recover from that before I could transfer an embryo. I did a frozen transfer with potocine suppository.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic was undergoing some remodeling when I was receiving treatment. It was older but clean. The waiting room was small and felt smaller during COVID with chairs blocked off. It would have been nice to have a place to get water or snacks after blood draws.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah.
The overall cost was between $25,000 to $30,000 including prescription costs. The transfer was around $5,000.
Describe Joseph Letourneau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
He recommended single for the best chance of conception and a healthy pregnancy but was willing to transfer two embryos if we choose to do so. We transferred one upon his recommendation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
We had a wrong blood test result in a critical time during our treatment.
Joseph Letourneau

2019, Consult
he [Dr. Joseph Letourneau] was ready to answer any questions we had and did a great job of explaining what was expected...He was very nice, he reviewed all of the facts...We really only had a few short minutes with him, but he didn't seem rushed. He re-explained everything clearly and his manner was very warm and confident...my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better. From there they suggested having my husband tested and then having my tubes tested if we are unsuccessful in gettting a pregnancy within 3-4 months. I have tried a similar treatment in the past with my OBGYN, so they would like to start there and then go forward.
entire team [at The University of Utah] was very caring. They had a great bedside manner...nurse practitioner explained everything to us, even drew pictures to help us understand the "why" behind the treatment...They set up lab work to eliminate any other underlying health issues I might have to determine if I have PCOS. From there, my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better.
How was your experience with Joseph Letourneau at University of Utah?
Today was our first consultation appointment. He was very nice, he reviewed all of the facts and agreed with the treats the nurse practitioner had just suggested to us. We really only had a few short minutes with him, but he didn't seem rushed. He re-explained everything clearly and his manner was very warm and confident.
Ask questions! If you have a question he will answer it.
His entire team was very caring. They had a great bedside manner. His nurse practitioner explained everything to us, even drew pictures to help us understand the "why" behind the treatment. We had our first consultation with Joseph M Letourneau, MD, and he was ready to answer any questions we had and did a great job of explaining what was expected.
He set up a treatment plan for me after they diagnosed me with anovulation. They set up lab work to eliminate any other underlying health issues I might have to determine if I have PCOS. From there, my treatment plan is to start with Metformin and Femara to see if I can ovulate on a more regular basis and if we can time ovulation better. From there they suggested having my husband tested and then having my tubes tested if we are unsuccessful in gettting a pregnancy within 3-4 months. I have tried a similar treatment in the past with my OBGYN, so they would like to start there and then go forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly)
We really liked the nurse coordinator. She explained everything, so much so that when she asked us what questions we had at the end of our visit, we couldn't think of anything. She even drew pictures for us to describe our situation. She was very kind, helpful and funny!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Pros for this clinic - they have several doctors to choose from. Working with the University of Utah health is really convenient. The myChart app is simple to use and easily connects you with your doctor. If you have any followup questions, they can easily see your message and get back to you within the same day sometimes. Cons for this clinic - Nothing so far. We have appreciated the level of care that we recieve.
Trigger Shot - $100 UltraSound - $200 Office Visit - $200
We have not discussed this yet.
Joseph Letourneau

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Stanford remembered us from appointment to appointment. He takes very good notes so that helps for not having to repeat our medical records every appointment. He recommended to follow the Mediterranean diet and not only focus on my fertility but in my health in general. He explained all treatments in detail and e-mail via MyChart web links for extra information and for me to do personal research.
MyChart system [U of Utah] is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.... I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford told us at our first appointments what could be the possible causes of our infertility and he did all tests in order to rule out one by one the causes. He tried different medications as new problems were showing up and went from low to high impact treatment and drug dose. I like to do things by the book and Dr. Stanford was a perfect match for me. He and his team are very communicative, would answer questions the following day and even call on weekends to follow up. He is compassion and sympathetic. When in need to schedule for a ultrasound on a Saturday or Sunday he would work around our own schedule.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford treatments can take a bit too long so you need to ask about all the options to treat your diagnose and push for higher drug's dose or faster treatment but he will always try to get down to the root of the problem and try his best to solve it. I was with him for 2 years and I think I should have look for a second opinion after the first year or year and a half. He did not suggest my husband to take any supplements which I think it could have help us a tinny bit if he has done it. All the studies and life style changes were focus on me and now I wish he had done something to improve my husbands numbers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Dr. Stanford had me charting my cycles from the beginning which was tedious at the beginning but now I appreciate having all the information down in the charts with ultrasounds dates and blood test results. It's also 100% helpful to detect ovulation since I have PCOS and not ovulation was a possibility. He first did a hormonal panel to see my hormone levels and had me do a blood draw on day 3 of the cycle plus "day 21". After charting for few cycles he was able to detect some issues and started looking for solutions. Every month that I didn't get pregnant we tried something different. Firsts 5 cycles my mucus was not good so he suggested some supplements to improve mucus quality. He closely monitored my cycles with ultrasounds and/or blood test to detect ovulation. I did ovulate by myself all cycles. He found ovary cyst and suspected endometriosis. On the 5th cycle (with him) I had one of the cyst ruptured and he recommended a laparoscopy that I had on the 7th cycle. The following 6 cycles were supposed to be optimal for getting pregnant but it didn't happen. The laparoscopy did help with my periods pain. For about 4 cycles I had almost no pain but then I started with cramps again. On the 8th cycle, he put me on 200mg progesterone on my luteal phase since my levels were low. But that did not help a lot so 2 cycles later he gave me 400mg. On my 12th cycle I started to have mid-cycle spotting. A hysterosonogram showed no uterus polyps that could cause the spotting so on cycle 15 he put my husband and I on antibiotics (2 weeks for him 4 for me) in case was an infection. That stop the spotting for one cycle so then he put me on low doze Naltrexone around cycle 17. But this still did not solve the spotting. He repeated the hysterosonogram on cycle 22 since my periods were more painful and the spotting persist but came back all good. Although I was ovulating on my own we tried to improve ovulation with Letrozol (7.5mg once a month) starting on cycle 15. On cycle 19 I suffer from hyper-stimulation so Dr. lowered the dose on cycle 21 and 22. On cycle 23 I decided it was the last cycle with Dr. Stanford before moving on to assisted. We did a high dose of Letrozole closely monitored (as were ALL cycles) but we did not achieve a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford. We would meet every few months to check my chart and follow the instructions of the Creighton Model that Dr. Stanford follows. The nurses at the U are very kind and always welcome us with a smile and would remember what we talked about our personal life on previous appointments. They were good at scheduling follow up appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
MyChart system is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
Since the whole treatment was due to my PCOS and endometriosis and Dr. Stanford is in network, everything was cover by my health insurance except for the monthly follow up fee that was charged when he revised my chart that I would send by e-mail and not see him in person that month.
Joseph Stanford
Salt Lake City

I honestly loved Dr. Petersen and my experience with him. He has good bedside manner but also is direct about the risks you face and the steps that need to be taken. I always felt like i could trust him and the treatment plan he recommended. My only complaint would be that i saw him for the first few months and now i don't really see him at all. I see mostly the nurses or clinic staff but i understand thats is probably common with this field of work.
For the most part, the nursing staff [at Univ of Utah-SLC] has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Just to trust him and try to have faith in the process. Also, to make sure to ask as many questions as you want! Sometimes the treatment plan can be lengthy and detailed and i always felt a little overwhelmed. Demand the time you need to ask questions and go over everything slowly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Doctor Petersen is very sweet. He seems almost like a father figure who is trying to help you get through this difficult time. He seems to genuinely care about you and your situation.
Describe the protocols Matthew Peterson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
The first few cycles i went on letrozole (an alternative to Clomid) , triggered ovulation with ovidrell and did timed intercourse. That was not successful so we wanted to attempt IUI. However, due to my particular anomaly, i cannot have twins. Therefore, if there were multiple follicles present, the risk for twins being higher, we were recommended to cancel that cycle (which we did). We reduced my letrozol dosage to try to get just one follicle and have been able to complete IUI Since (1 failed attempt) Im currently in the waiting period of my 2nd attempt. If not successful, we will attempt IUI one more time before possibly discussing Invitro
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
For the most part, the nursing staff has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I think they are overall wonderful. Communicating through the Mychart is so easy and they respond very quickly. My only complaint would be that you never know who you are seeing or speaking to, so i always felt the need to remind them of my uterine anomaly bc i wasn't sure if they were aware of it or had read the file. They are all friendly and courteous. They try to be sensitive and relay good or bad news in a delicate manner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.
i have insurance that is copay of $80 per visit due to seeing a specialist. The medications were usually around $150 per cycle and IUI was around $400 each cycle
Describe Matthew Peterson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I was not given the information i needed pre IUI until we arrived at the clinic to start. Luckily our abstinence days did not cause us to cancel the cycle, but i was pretty upset that no one had told me prior to the time of sample that we should have been abstaining from sex or having sex x amount of days.
Salt Lake City

We had to push him [Dr. Matthew Peterson] to do some additional testing on my husband (after the second failed round), which ultimately revealed a potential cause. We wished we had done that testing earlier, as it might have changed the course of our treatment and/or our outcome...My first protocol was fairly standard: gonal-f, menopur, and hCG for trigger. My second protocol was more aggressive: higher doses of the above, a slew of supplements, and human growth hormone...is warm but direct; kind but straightforward. We first spoke on a phone call to his personal cell phone after dinner in the evening, so he is very willing to work with your schedule and accommodate. He always explained everything clearly and slowly to make sure that we understood each step of the process.
The clinic [University of Utah] is very well organized and very responsive. Payment, booking appointments, and logistics were very easy. All the nursing staff is very compassionate--one even held my hand during a particularly painful procedure. You really feel that they hope for success along with you!...IVF round was about $9,000, I believe, with drugs an additional $5-$7k. IUIs were $600 each...[nurse] was very speedy with prescriptions and happy to answer every question. She is experienced and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
We did not have a positive outcome, which I'm sure colors my perspective. Unfortunately, all of our embryos died before an IVF transfer, which was devastating. We were not prepared at all for that possibility. Dr. Peterson was very compassionate and kind. However, he immediately encouraged us to do another round with more aggressive treatments and hormonal protocol. Even that more aggressive round resulted in the same outcome: no transfer, and a group of arrested embryos. I wish that Dr. Peterson had taken some time with us to regroup and really understand why the embryos died in the first place. We had to push him to do some additional testing on my husband (after the second failed round), which ultimately revealed a potential cause. We wished we had done that testing earlier, as it might have changed the course of our treatment and/or our outcome.
Do not feel pressured into IVF. Fertility clinics treat it like it is the answer for all couples (because it has a higher success rate than other non-third-party treatments overall), but it may or may not be the right choice for every circumstance. Go slow, ask questions, do your research.
Dr. Peterson is warm but direct; kind but straightforward. We first spoke on a phone call to his personal cell phone after dinner in the evening, so he is very willing to work with your schedule and accommodate. He always explained everything clearly and slowly to make sure that we understood each step of the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie)
Lee Cherie was very speedy with prescriptions and happy to answer every question. She is experienced and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is very well organized and very responsive. Payment, booking appointments, and logistics were very easy. All the nursing staff is very compassionate--one even held my hand during a particularly painful procedure. You really feel that they hope for success along with you!
Dr. Peterson has a strong bias toward single embryos transfer, assuming it's a healthy, viable embryo.
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
400 for IUI’s [at University of Utah]...They [nurses] were great and responded quickly...He [Dr. Peterson] was very kind and reliable. He told me exactly what was up... did everything he could to help us. He gave us options and he his Advice. I never felt like a number and felt like he really cared. I also felt like he really knew his stuff. He even told us where to get cheaper prescriptions. I felt like he was trying to help us any way he could by giving us all the info so we can make the best decisions...He put me on femora for IUI’s. He said there were less side effects he listed all the risks but I don’t really remember what they were any more. He gave me a detailed plan with trigger shots. We did four IUI’s. He also did another saline test because I was concerned about my Fallopian tubes. I had an HCG test a while back with a different doctor and they said one tube had pooling. Dr Peterson said my ultra sounds all looked good and that he could do the saline test just to be sure. The test suggested my tubes looked normal.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr Peterson did everything he could to help us. He gave us options and he his Advice. I never felt like a number and felt like he really cared. I also felt like he really knew his stuff. He even told us where to get cheaper prescriptions. I felt like he was trying to help us any way he could by giving us all the info so we can make the best decisions
To make sure you tell him everything you want and be clear and he will do all he can to help you.
He was very kind and reliable. He told me exactly what was up
They were great and responded quickly. They were great with out patient monitoring as well when we switched to CNY.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The only thing I didn’t like was how far away the clinic was from us. And once we switched to our patient monitoring my insurance didn’t cover anything! I don’t understand why suddenly switching that my insurance couldn’t cover the blood work or ultra sounds
400 for IUI’s. My insurance covered a lot of the medication and he gave us tips on where to buy them cheaper.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
I do feel like she [Dr. Erica Johnstone] had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan...Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages... We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
Sara [at University of Utah] was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success...This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone is a caring and knowledgeable doctor. At times I felt she was much too busy to attend to all her patients and I feel like our care suffered because of it. I do feel like she had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I feel Dr. Johnstone is a caring and highly educated Dr. If she has time for you as a new patient, I would recommend her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone was always caring and thorough when we met with her. I felt she was honest about our treatment options and when it was necessary to get more aggressive.
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
My diagnosis is annovulatory PCOS, so Dr. Johnstones goal was to get me to ovulate. In the beginning we tried three cycles with just Femara and I never ovulated despite developing mature follicles. Then we moved to femara plus a trigger shot to force ovulation combined with timed intercourse. I was able to get pregnant through this method, but I miscarried. Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages. When I started the femara again after the miscarriage, my body didn't respond. So we had to double the days I took the meds, 10 days instead of 5. We continued with the trigger shot and timed intercourse but moved to IUI after that was unsuccessful twice. We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara was our nurse practitioner that we worked with closely )
Sara was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked. That being said, I do think the Dr.'s and nurses are knowledgeable and capable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
IUI cost $360 just for the procedure. Each follicle monitoring ultrasound was $230. Each trigger shot was $40. Appointments to meet with Dr. Johnstone were $265. The hysteroscopy was covered by insurance but would have been $460 if it hadn't been.
Salt Lake City

Dr. Peterson has a very kind face that makes it easy to trust him. He is very knowledgeable, comes with lots of experience, and is great at explaining what he is talking about. He is willing to listen to you and think outside the box. However, he can be very blunt and straight forward some times when you are in a fragile state this can be hard to hear but looking back on the information he is blunt about you can see why he may have those concerns.
The nurse practitioner who did IUI was great had a wonderful sense of humor and was kind. ... it cost only $400 for the insemination and sperm prep ... one of the nurse practitioners I felt mistreated and as if I was just a number to her. ... When I spoke to the manager she was very kind and listened. ... They [U of UT - SLC] have lots of innovated ways of doing things with technology and procedures. Because it is a non-profit facility they have studies going on to help find more information about infertility both for male and female.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Always go with your question ready and written down. Be prepare to wait for an appointment and once you are there for your appointment be prepared to wait in the waiting room even past your scheduled time.
While working with the Doctor himself I felt like a human but working with one of his mid-levels I felt just like another number. As she would not listen to me when I tried to explain that I was not under the normal protocol.
After meeting with Dr. Peterson he had a few additional test he wanted to run as they had not been done with previous providers in hopes to find some additional insight to our case and lack of success. Once all the testing came back he wanted to see for himself how my body reacted to specific fertility meds so we did medication and inject round without insemination. We did this and had a negative results. After that he wanted to try an IUI round before considering IVF even though we had 6 failed IUI's and 2 failed rounds of IVF. His reason was at the University of Utah they did things a little different for their IUI's then other clinics in the state. We agreed to try when we went to our ultrasound to see how the follicles were doing he noticed that I had 3 follicles that had matured. He was concerned about more than one of these taking he and explained the risk to us with great detail. We chose to trigger those follicles and we did the IUI the results of those 3 matured follicles resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We have met with him regarding IVF but have not moved forward at this time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
The first we met was a medical assistant and she was great very friendly and kind. She also spent extra time with us making sure we again knew and understood everything Dr. Peterson had talked to us about. I then had to communicate through the electronic portal and did not have the same experience as it was hard to get the nurse answering his messages to see that my case was not typical and seemed easier to not communicate with them in the portal. After meeting with one of the nurse practitioner I was very disappointed with the meeting and felt that no one should be treated how I was. I ended up speaking with Dr. Peterson staff manager and Dr. Peterson regarding the nurse practitioner and the nursing staff handling the portal messages. The nurse practitioner who did IUI was great had a wonderful sense of humor and was kind.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths the depth of knowledge of their providers and clinical staff. Office is not grand or fancy in anyway but is comfortable and inviting. They have lots of innovated ways of doing things with technology and procedures. Because it is a non-profit facility they have studies going on to help find more information about infertility both for male and female.
IUI was unbelievable lower than I had every paid before it cost only $400 for the insemination and sperm prep. Medication seem normal and other cost I don't remember as well.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
As mentioned in a few parts of my review working with one of the nurse practitioners I felt mistreated and as if I was just a number to her. Dr. Peterson had specifically told me we were not doing his standard protocol and what to expect at each step. When I met with this specific nurse practitioner she would not listen to me or let me even explain what I had been told. She told me there was a standard protocol an that is what she was doing. When I tried to explain to her my situation and how it was very different she would deflect or ignore me. She would not listen or answer my questions or concerns. She made me feel that even with all of my past experience of infertility and treatment that I was not intelligent enough to know anything. I left very upset and frustrated I didn't want anyone else to experience what I had so I called into the office and requested to speak with a manager to tell of my experience. When I spoke to the manager she was very kind and listened. She resured me that she would review my case with Dr.Peterson personally and that either she or him would give me a call back. This was in fact the case. Dr. Peterson called me himself to apologize for his employees behavior and to go over what my actual next steps should be.
Salt Lake City
He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] is very intelligent, and has a fair/good bedside manner. Unfortunately, he wasn't involved enough in my monitoring (compared to previous IVF doc); techs & nurses did everything after the initial consultation until the retrieval. I was disappointed, and didn't FEEL like he was involved enough (although he said he reviewed every lab & Ultrasound). In fairness, at the completion of the failed IVF Cycle I told him how I felt, and he said he could be more involved in future cycles. One final dissatisfaction: he says things about financial matters and then the clinic business office contradicts him. Very frustrating.
Strength [of Univ of Utah]: local, easy to contact, prompt, good communication via My chart (email). Weaknesses: inconsistencies between what doc says & business office in regard to financial matters. And as I keep saying, too much time spent with techs & nurses, not enough time with Docs, especially for the significant out of pocket expenses.... Lee Cherie Booth is amazing. End of story. The rest of the nursing staff seems so-so compared to a few years ago. Too many techs, not enough time with the Doc.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is very intelligent, and has a fair/good bedside manner. Unfortunately, he wasn't involved enough in my monitoring (compared to previous IVF doc); techs & nurses did everything after the initial consultation until the retrieval. I was disappointed, and didn't FEEL like he was involved enough (although he said he reviewed every lab & Ultrasound). In fairness, at the completion of the failed IVF Cycle I told him how I felt, and he said he could be more involved in future cycles. One final dissatisfaction: he says things about financial matters and then the clinic business office contradicts him. Very frustrating.
Tell him that you want HIM to do your monitoring ultrasounds himself...not the techs.
I felt (whether actual or perceived, I don't know) like he was judging (very discretely) my status as a single mom, and possibly, again very subtly, my non-membership in the dominant faith in Utah).
Supplements: Pregnitude, L-Arginine, Baby Aspirin, DHEA, COENZYME Q 10, Melatonin, Serovital. Meds: Clomid, Cetrotide, Menopur, Gonal F, and Pregnyl trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie Booth)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strength: local, easy to contact, prompt, good communication via My chart (email). Weaknesses: inconsistencies between what doc says & business office in regard to financial matters. And as I keep saying, too much time spent with techs & nurses, not enough time with Docs, especially for the significant out of pocket expenses.
Roughly $19,000 -20,000 for IVF cycle (egg retrieval), meds, and genetic screen. Another $4-500 for FET & meds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
On two occasions, the doctor gave me information about pricing of his recommended treatment plan, then the business office contradicted him, saying that he has "nothing to do with the pricing". Very frustrating, as you can imagine--especially since the cost was higher than presented.
2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Dorias] would sit down and speak directly with us, never acting like she was rushed or had to go, even though I’m sure she always had other things she could have been doing...She followed up with me after hours and called me personally a few times when there had been good or bad news...She personalized every step of treatment and adjusted it as needed. She was direct with odds, risks, next steps for treatments. She gave professional opinions, but also constantly checked in on how I was feeling and what I wanted to do.
Megan [nurse at University of Utah] communicated well and kept me informed. She also relayed info to Dr. Dorais when I needed, and responded to things quickly... I saw most of the doctors there at one time or another, and liked all of them. The nurses abt helped with my sedated procedures were great and so helpful...Consult $250 IUI around $700...IVF- guarantee cycle, 2nd tier- $17,500 (covered IVF, retrieval, both FETs...The front desk staff (now changed) was not the most helpful or friendly
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
From my first visit with Dr. Dorais, I felt comfortable in her care, confident in her knowledge and abilities, and so grateful to have her as my doctor. She personalized every step of treatment and adjusted it as needed. She was direct with odds, risks, next steps for treatments. She gave professional opinions, but also constantly checked in on how I was feeling and what I wanted to do. She is positive, but realistic, and approaches everything optimistically. I had a few setbacks and complications during my treatment (through no fault of Dr. Dorais) and when things were especially difficult, she would call to check in on me or just to touch base and see how I was doing. When I thought I was miscarrying, she offered to meet me in the ER if I decided to go in. When that miscarriage was confirmed in her office, she sat with us as we cried together, knew the right things to say, and helped us through it. She was so compassionate while we grieved, and later shared in our joy when we were finally pregnant. She made our journey bearable, when at times it felt like it wouldn’t have been otherwise. She was my advocate, my cheerleader, and also a voice of reason. She is simply the best.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Make an appointment with her ASAP.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
Dr. Dorais was always very warm and kind. She knew everything about our case all the time, without checking my chart during the visit. We felt like she was our teammate and wanted success for us as badly as we wanted it for ourselves. She would sit down and speak directly with us, never acting like she was rushed or had to go, even though I’m sure she always had other things she could have been doing. If our visit was over and I thought of a question as she was walking out, she’d come back and sit down and talk us through anything. She never rushed us. She followed up with me after hours and called me personally a few times when there had been good or bad news.
Describe the protocols Jessie Dorais used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
3 rounds Letrazole 3 IUIs (with Gonal-F) 1 round IVF: 25 eggs retrieved, resulting in 13 frozen embryos. Converted to freeze-all due to OHSS First FET: 2 embryos, 1 implanted, miscarried at 7 weeks Second FET: 2 embryos, resulted in twins (now 14 months old)
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan communicated well and kept me informed. She also relayed info to Dr. Dorais when I needed, and responded to things quickly.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The front desk staff (now changed) was not the most helpful or friendly, but they did keep things scheduled and on track. I saw most of the doctors there at one time or another, and liked all of them. The nurses abt helped with my sedated procedures were great and so helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessie Dorais at University of Utah.
Consult $250 IUI around $700 (x3) IVF- guarantee cycle, 2nd tier- $17,500 (covered IVF, retrieval, both FETs) Meds- around $3500 total for all procedures HSG- $500 Polypectomy- $200 Our total for all procedures, meds, etc was about $30,000
Describe Jessie Dorais's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
She strongly encouraged single embryo transfer, but let us make our own decision about transferring one or two embryos. She was very clear about the risks of transferring multiple embryos and her rationale for her recommendations.
Jessie Dorais
Salt Lake City

She [Dr. Johnstone] was matter of fact and efficient, which I liked. However she often seemed rushed. Also not very sympathetic when I had a missed miscarriage. Like it was a normal part of her day, but it certainly wasn’t for me.... I didn’t see her often as part of the IUI process. Usually a resident or nurse for most visits. She did a good job explaining things when she talked to me.
It seems like the doctors know their stuff. The clinic [U of Utah] is clean and orderly. Not very fancy. The medical staff is good. The office staff was ok.... The didn’t call me back when I followed the protocol for leaving a message when I needed an IUI that day. I had to call multiple times. Also they had the wrong name when they came to get me for a procedure.... one of the staff mentioned one of my family members that had come through the clinic.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She was a good doctor. Nice enough, but not overly warm or sympathetic. I didn’t see her often as part of the IUI process. Usually a resident or nurse for most visits. She did a good job explaining things when she talked to me.
Be confident she knows her stuff.
She was matter of fact and efficient, which I liked. However she often seemed rushed. Also not very sympathetic when I had a missed miscarriage. Like it was a normal part of her day, but it certainly wasn’t for me.
Used Clomid with IUI. It was pretty straightforward and it worked.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
Nurses were good in person.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It seems like the doctors know their stuff. The clinic is clean and orderly. Not very fancy. The medical staff is good. The office staff was ok. They didn’t respond to my message with a call back when I needed to schedule an IUI that day. I had to call back several times until I finally reached someone in the afternoon.
Can’t remember exactly, but it was all listed online. My insurance covered ultrasounds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
The didn’t call me back when I followed the protocol for leaving a message when I needed an IUI that day. I had to call multiple times. Also they had the wrong name when they came to get me for a procedure. Then they told me they had trouble finding a sample and I had to wait another 45 minutes. Still not sure what really happened. Also, one of the staff mentioned one of my family members that had come through the clinic. I knew they had been treated there, but they still should not have mentioned that.

2012 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Johnstone is an excellent listener. She is very calm, reassuring and understanding. She explains the treatments well. She is always willing to discuss your concerns. I had done a lot of research after my first IVF and she was willing to try new things to make sure we were successful.... I had 2 embryos transferred my first cycle per the dr’s suggestion. That resulted in a singleton pregnancy. There was only one viable embryo for the second transfer, which also resulted in a successful Singleton pregnancy.
The clinic [Univ of Utah- SLC] is nice. Seems to be well organized most of the time. I liked it better when the actual fertility doctors did all the ultrasounds. It felt more personable. When they had the fellow do it, it felt like they didn’t know what they were doing. They always had to go to the dr with the info and make a plan rather than just having the dr do it all like they did when I was there in 2012.
Ask plenty of questions!
In 2012 Dr. Johnstone (or another doctor) was much more involved in the decisions. In 2016, most of the work was done by nurses/residents or fellows.
I am not sure of the name of the protocol. I was on birth control, then lupron, then stims for both cycles. I feel my ovaries were oversupressed my second cycle as I had a very good AMH, but had a hard time getting the eggs to grow and my estrogen to rise. HGH was added to my second cycle due to my age (35 at the time).
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
I felt like the nurses did the best they could. They were obviously busy and would try to get hold of the dr when needed to for medication changes, etc.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is nice. Seems to be well organized most of the time. I liked it better when the actual fertility doctors did all the ultrasounds. It felt more personable. When they had the fellow do it, it felt like they didn’t know what they were doing. They always had to go to the dr with the info and make a plan rather than just having the dr do it all like they did when I was there in 2012.
The cost of the IVF cycle was around $10,000 for everything done at the clinic. The consultation and saline ultrasound were covered by insurance. The medications cost around $4000 the first time and $5200 the second time.
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
2014 - 2016, Successful
I loved Dr. Moore. He hadn't seen us in almost two years when we saw him last and he remembered us and was excited for us to do IVF again. When we did our fresh transfer with him, he made sure to answer all of our questions and made us feel like we had a voice in our treatments...If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask him. He is very thorough and goes over everything!...We would have stayed with him if our insurance covered him and the clinic. He was just very understanding and seemed excited to work with us again. With our first fresh transfer he explained to us the risks of transferring two embryos and was very helpful...
They [U of Utah] were very helpful when we had transfer our embryo's to our new clinic. It does take time to get into a specific doctor, but they try to fit you in as quickly as possible...All of my monitoring appointments were either in the morning before work or they were after I got off. They were very flexible to work with...It was roughly around $15,000-$17,000 for our fresh IVF cycle and that included medicine...
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore, was just wonderful! We would have stayed with him if our insurance covered him and the clinic. He was just very understanding and seemed excited to work with us again. With our first fresh transfer he explained to us the risks of transferring two embryos and was very helpful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Andrew Moore used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I have a blood condition that can lead to blood clots while pregnant, and he was very aware of this and made sure that I took extra precautions especially while I was on the extra hormones that are related to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
The little that I worked with Heidi, she was always very helpful. She would respond to emails within a few hours, which was always helpful!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
When I was a patient there, I was quite pleased with the clinic. They were very helpful when we had transfer our embryo's to our new clinic. It does take time to get into a specific doctor, but they try to fit you in as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Utah.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Moore at University of Utah.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
When we transferred to our new clinic due to insurance purposes, they have taken a couple of months to get my chart and records transferred over.
Andrew Moore
2012 - 2016, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Erica [Dr. Erica Johnstone] was very kind, quick to respond to emails, answer our questions and give us excellent advice.... started with a birth control cycle, I think that it lasted a couple months, then we began the hormones to prepare my uterus for a frozen transfer. After a couple ultrasounds, things looked really good and we transferred our last embryos. The embryos we're not of the great quality, so we transferred all 3. Knowing that perhaps a couple might not make it. We were thrilled when we found out we were pregnant!! After 10 days we got to see the tiny embryo and knew that one had made it! I saw my regular obgyn after that at 8 weeks and at 13 weeks. At my 18 week check up we were saddened to discover no heartbeat and a loss of the baby. :( possibly an umbilical accident or an embryo problem. It was heartbreaking. I let Dr. Johnstown know and she was so kind. I felt better after reading her emails.
I met with several different nurses [at University of Utah] and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!... I like that when I go in I don't know people there. Infertility can be difficult especially if you have to explain it to others! They were very respectful of privacy, and didn't make a big deal out of small things.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She seemed very calm and sure. The only thing that I could complain about was her ice cold hands and her "limp-fish" handshake. Haha, but other than that she was kind and happy and gave us great confidence in her and the clinic.
If you choose to see Dr. Johnstown, you will be in good hands...cold hands, but good hands. ;) She will take good care of you. Be optimistic and hopeful, it's all worth it!
Erica was very kind, quick to respond to emails, answer our questions and give us excellent advice.
I started with a birth control cycle, I think that it lasted a couple months, then we began the hormones to prepare my uterus for a frozen transfer. After a couple ultrasounds, things looked really good and we transferred our last embryos. The embryos we're not of the great quality, so we transferred all 3. Knowing that perhaps a couple might not make it. We were thrilled when we found out we were pregnant!! After 10 days we got to see the tiny embryo and knew that one had made it! I saw my regular obgyn after that at 8 weeks and at 13 weeks. At my 18 week check up we were saddened to discover no heartbeat and a loss of the baby. :( possibly an umbilical accident or an embryo problem. It was heartbreaking. I let Dr. Johnstown know and she was so kind. I felt better after reading her emails.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
I met with several different nurses and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Appointments just to visit my Dr were about 450.00 frozen transfer cycle costs came to about $5000.00 total. Most if that is for the medications.
She was so good to let us decide. She gave us all the information and left it up to us. I love that she didn't pressure us in any way.
Salt Lake City
He [Dr. Peterson] can be kind of blunt and to the point, which is something my husband and I like about him, but he can also be very compassionate and warm...He is good at making feel at ease whenever we are around him. He is very candid about the science side of things, but will also give his opinion or view...they work as a team of doctors so it isn’t always the easiest to see him.
I really like all of the nurses that I have been in contact with [at University of Utah]. They are all knowledgeable and kind...It was about $15,000 with meds for our first round. It was about $20,000 with meds for our second. That was a 3 cycle guarantee one so we just paid for meds for our third. We are going to do another frozen transfer and that will be around $4,000 with meds...I would say that scheduling is definitely the most frustrating thing for me with the clinic. I also don’t love that there isn’t really any care given once you have finished the cycle. I like the care throughout the process though.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The one thing I don’t love about going to Dr. Peterson is that they work as a team of doctors so it isn’t always the easiest to see him. We want him to do our frozen transfer this next time and will have to wait four months for him to do it. It also took us four months to get in for a consultation. So, it going to take us eight months from when we first reached out to the doctors office. They are really really busy there, but it is worth it to wait for us because we want to be working with him. We like him and feel most comfortable with him.
He can be kind of blunt and to the point, which is something my husband and I like about him, but he can also be very compassionate and warm. So, if you don’t want some bluntness, and only want warm fuzzies, maybe he isn’t the doctor for you. You also need to be willing to wait a little longer for treatments or be willing to see another doctor on the team.
He is good at making feel at ease whenever we are around him. He is very candid about the science side of things, but will also give his opinion or view:
I did 2 retrievals and 3 transfers and that was a couple of years ago so I honestly couldn’t tell you specifics, especially since 1 was a frozen transfer so the protocol was different. I took Menopur, Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. The upped all of these and added HGH on my second retrieval. I also did the progesterone each time. I also get on a birth control for the month before injections each time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
I really like all of the nurses that I have been in contact with. They are all knowledgeable and kind.

2015, Successful
Dr. Moore was always straight forward but kind. He always let us know what to expect. Him and his staff were readily available when we had questions. In fact, on the night of our trigger shot for IVF, we were unsure of the dosage and were able to reach him at home to confirm the correct dosage. I would definitely recommend Dr. Moore and the U of U fertility clinic to a friend.... He was frequently running a little late because he will take extra time with his patients to answer any questions that they may have. Once, the receptionist had mis-typed that our appointment was supposed to 15 minutes instead of 45. Dr. Moore didn't have us reschedule, he made the time to meet with us for the 45 minutes and answer our questions.
Overall, this clinic was great. The staff was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. At 8 weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily. I called the clinic and they got me in for an ultrasound the very next morning to make sure everything was fine. The doctor on call was so kind. After our ultrasound and everything looked good, she scheduled us for another a few weeks later for peace of mind....We did a guarantee program. We paid $16,000 for one fresh cycle and two frozen of IVF with ICSI. This cost covered appointments, ultrasounds, retrivial, transfer, and shots administered at the clinic. It did not cover medications. I believe we paid around $3,000 for shots and other drugs. The guarantee program did not include the extra ultrasounds I had after I became pregnant.
How was your experience with Andrew Moore at University of Utah?
Dr. Moore was great! He was kind. He was frequently running a little late because he will take extra time with his patients to answer any questions that they may have. Once, the receptionist had mis-typed that our appointment was supposed to 15 minutes instead of 45. Dr. Moore didn't have us reschedule, he made the time to meet with us for the 45 minutes and answer our questions.
Be patient. He may be running late but that is because he is taking good care of his patients.
In our first appointment, he looked over our past tests and suggested that we have another semen analysis completed. The analysis came back showing low sperm motility. From there he suggested a sperm penetration test. That test came back negative. He suggested that we skip IUI or regular IVF because of the results of the test. Thus saving us money in the long run. We did IVF w/ICSI. I was on birth control pills for one month prior. From there, I began taking Menopur then added citrotide. (I can't remember the exact dosage). I went in for an ultrasound every other day during this time to measure my follicle growth. On day 11, I took a trigger shot of HCG and Lupron. A day and half later, I had my retrieval where they retrieved 15 eggs, 9 of those eggs fertilized and 5 made it to day 5. After retrieval, I began taking Crinone (progestrone) and estrogen which I continued until week 10 of pregnancy. We did a day 5 transfer. All of our embryos were average quality. We decided to only transfer one at the encouragement of our doctor. After transfer I was given a dose of Lupron to encourage implantation. This cycle resulted in pregnancy and I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy.
Heidi was great at making sure you knew what to do and what was coming next. She was really straight forward. At first, I thought she was a little cold, but as I got to know her better I realized that was just her personality and that she is a great nurse!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The only downside, is that the clinic is up by the University of Utah in Salt Lake. I live in Riverton so the driving back and forth so many times was tiresome. Overall, this clinic was great. The staff was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. At 8 weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily. I called the clinic and they got me in for an ultrasound the very next morning to make sure everything was fine. The doctor on call was so kind. After our ultrasound and everything looked good, she scheduled us for another a few weeks later for peace of mind.
Andrew Moore

2006 - 2012, Unsuccessful
Cancer
Egg Freezing With Other Docs (cancer)
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
He [Dr. Peterson] is smart and thorough. He is not warm fuzzy and talks a lot about statistics and "take home baby rate". I appreciate direct numbers and statistics, but I often felt like we weren't talking about something that was real for us and trying to produce an actual baby for us. On the other hand we had 3 unsuccessful IVF attempts before the 4th one worked. On a couple of the unsuccessful ones, he personally called us and expressed his sympathy.
The clinic [U of Utah] is very busy. You don't necessarily see the same doctor every time. You can't expect that they remember everything that is going on with you.... Professional, well run, but too big to always keep track of what I needed. It is very nice to have everything there and not have to get parts done anywhere else. Within the clinic, I was a number. [Nursing Staff] Good at each part of administering items. Some instructions on meds an shots were not clear
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is smart and thorough. He is not warm fuzzy and talks a lot about statistics and "take home baby rate". I appreciate direct numbers and statistics, but I often felt like we weren't talking about something that was real for us and trying to produce an actual baby for us. On the other hand we had 3 unsuccessful IVF attempts before the 4th one worked. On a couple of the unsuccessful ones, he personally called us and expressed his sympathy. In that case he was very warm and loving. I would trust him and go to him again, but he is very statistic oriented.
Don't expect to have a warm experience but expect a good experience
The clinic is very busy. You don't necessarily see the same doctor every time. You can't expect that they remember everything that is going on with you. I had to review it alot.
This was 10 year ago, so I know things have changed since then. They were not big on forcing the blastocyst then and so I think we transferred our embryos earlier that we could have.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
Good at each part of administering items. Some instructions on meds an shots were not clear Very helpful in the office. Did not always follow up on my individual needs after we were out of the office.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Professional, well run, but too big to always keep track of what I needed. It is very nice to have everything there and not have to get parts done anywhere else. Within the clinic, I was a number. I went to a smaller clinic after this and liked the feel a lot better.
I don't remember the details (we have done IVF 6 times)... $10,00-15,000.
He is very big on transferring as few embryos as you are comfortable with. He is not big on multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
Just basic items- nothing too large. The biggest was we will call you with your pregnancy test, they didn't so we had to call them.
Salt Lake City

She [Dr. Link] is very warm and approachable. I didn’t feel judged or criticized. I only have met her once but I did learn a lot from that one visit. She told me all about the risks of having PCOS and hypothyroidism and the whole process of IUI and purchasing sperm from a sperm bank. ... It took a month to find out the right dosage of medication I ended up with 3 clomid, 4 letrozole, and 3 metformin daily Which let me get one IUI which failed. And now doing the same dosage no follicles grew so we have to discuss the new game plan Of maybe fertility shots
[University of Utah is] Quick to get you in and out. Some nurses are more friendly than others. Some ultrasound techs explain more than others. If the main nurse isn’t there you have to wait for an e-mail with instructions on what to do next and I prefer hearing it in person ... She [nurse] is extremely nice and is always there to try and keep me motivated and to make sure that I’m not alone and the only one going through this. Very easy to reach and answer any question I have
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
She is very warm and approachable. I didn’t feel judged or criticized. I only have met her once but I did learn a lot from that one visit. She told me all about the risks of having PCOS and hypothyroidism and the whole process of IUI and purchasing sperm from a sperm bank.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Megan Link at University of Utah?
Even if you don’t talk to her she’s still working hard to get you where you need to be
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Megan Link at University of Utah?
I’ve only met her once but she was very informative and kind All the nurses under her have been very sweet and understanding
Describe the protocols Megan Link used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly Beck)
She is extremely nice and is always there to try and keep me motivated and to make sure that I’m not alone and the only one going through this. Very easy to reach and answer any question I have
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Megan Link at University of Utah.
$260 for each ultrasound I’ve had 9 $380 for 1 IUI $250 for 2 trigger shots $100 for medications $250 for consultation
Megan Link
Salt Lake City

She [Dr. Erica Johnstone] is always warm and friendly, makes us feel like she has time to explain everything to us. Which is important and makes us feel as at ease as we can. She offers options and talks us through what we feel is the best for us... Almost $11,000 for the ultrasounds, egg retrieval. $3500 medications $2800 embryo transfer $5000 PGS... Make sure to ask questions and that you understand your treatment plan. It puts you at ease and when you have an understanding as a patient it makes you feel like you are able to handle each step
It was difficult to get an appointment [at Univ of Utah]. I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is always warm and friendly, makes us feel like she has time to explain everything to us. Which is important and makes us feel as at ease as we can. She offers options and talks us through what we feel is the best for us
I have good relationships with the staff at the fertility center. They are always friendly and helpful. I am mid treatment currently though
Menopur, gonal-f to stimulate. cetratide to hell follicles mature. Trigger shot. This is where I am up to now.
They are helpful and encouraging. Denise has developed a great relationship with my 1 year old son. She always calls and updates me and gen emails me everything we talked about which is wonderful to show my husband as he is at work every time she calls
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It was difficult to get an appointment, I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
We have chosen to do a single transfer if we get this far
Salt Lake City

She [Dr. Johnstone] made me feel special by really listening to me, and ensuring I understood exactly what the process was.... Her strengths are that she is very kind, soft spoken, and delivers information in a clear manner. She wants you to be comfortable with her treatment approach and strongly takes your opinion into consideration. Her weakness is that she is almost too nice. I look at her as the expert and wanted her to be more open about what she thought I should do.
I think U of U is state of the art with their processes and fertility treatments. I think they can be more expensive than other clinics and less personalized in their approach. But they make up for that with being well run and very current on fertility procedures.... Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300... They were great overall. I sometimes wished I had a dedicated nurse or coordinator though.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Her strengths are that she is very kind, soft spoken, and delivers information in a clear manner. She wants you to be comfortable with her treatment approach and strongly takes your opinion into consideration. Her weakness is that she is almost too nice. I look at her as the expert and wanted her to be more open about what she thought I should do. I think it's great to have options and to know ultimately my opinion will be heard and followed, but I appreciate her expertise and think she should more strongly state what her educated opinion is. That would have helped me make better decisions.
Be sure to let her know you consider her to be the expert, and that you want her educated opinion.
She is extremely kind and focused on your care. She made me feel special by really listening to me, and ensuring I understood exactly what the process was.
She started me out slowly by having me try Femara first, followed by Femara plus IUI, followed by IVF. She was willing to be as aggressive or as cautious with treatment as I wanted to be.
Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300
Not applicable
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Peterson did a wonderful job of explaining to me why a single embryo transfer was the best choice for our family. He was respect full but firm about what research showed. I felt like I was in the hands of the most responsible for fertility specialist out there.... Dr. Peterson learned about my family and my story. He always valued my intelligence and was clear about his opinion for best treatment.
They [Univ of UT] are very professional and research oriented, but not as warm as other clinics I have worked with. Sometimes the nurses communication style with a little bit terse for me. I felt as if they didn’t have a lot of time to answer my questions. There wasn’t a lot of personal connection with them.... The staff there is good, but they are very busy. I sometimes feel a little bit like a number.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is more conservative than a lot of specialist in the area, but he knows his stuff and you should listen to the advice he gives you.
He felt very strongly that we should do a single embryo transfer even though we had done a two embryo transfer in the past. He wanted to do a test transfer, which I wasn’t thrilled about. An endometrial scratch is supposed to be very painful, but it was nearly painless because he is so good at what he does.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very professional and research oriented, but not as warm as other clinics I have worked with. Sometimes the nurses communication style with a little bit terse for me. I felt as if they didn’t have a lot of time to answer my questions. There wasn’t a lot of personal connection with them.
The frozen embryo transfer was about $3500
Already stated.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Dorais] was the first fertility specialist I seen and She helped me feel at ease when I was in difficult situations. She performed my DNC for me as well as lots of testing. She was great at communicating my results, I just wish she would have been a bit more proactive in my treatment plan, kind of left things up in the air...She took the time to explain things to me. I seen her at every apt. And she had a very caring nature about her.
They [U of Utah] were upfront with costs and easy to work with. Quick to call with lab results and keep in contact with when needed. A friendly atmosphere. One weakness is that to get an initial consult it can take months. Strengths would be very professional and communication was open if you asked questions. The clinic was nice in that they could do everything there all your labs and procedures which made things convenient.
How was your experience with Jessie Dorais at University of Utah?
She was the first fertility specialist I seen and She helped me feel at ease when I was in difficult situations. She performed my DNC for me as well as lots of testing. She was great at communicating my results, I just wish she would have been a bit more proactive in my treatment plan, kind of left things up in the air
Be willing to voice what direction you want to go with things. She is very sweet but ultimately lets you decide on things.
All that I did was take femera no real direction that was why I ultimately left her care. She didn't really monitor me during the cycles so I felt as though we still had no idea how my body was reacting to the medication
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
They were kind and easy to deal with. I had more interaction with the doctor than her staff which I really enjoyed
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were upfront with costs and easy to work with. Quick to call with lab results and keep in contact with when needed. A friendly atmosphere. One weakness is that to get an initial consult it can take months. Strengths would be very professional and communication was open if you asked questions. The clinic was nice in that they could do everything there all your labs and procedures which made things convenient.
Everything had a cost that was known in advance before any treatment however I cannot remember what everything was.
Jessie Dorais

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Dr. Erica Johnstone] was very patient with my husband and I. Would answer all our questions and we would usually have a list. Even if we became redundant, she remained patient...She’s very good with providing stats that are relevant to your case. Up to date with changes and progress in the field with research. Willing to listen and hear out our concerns. Does not sugar coat anything but remains very honest. Very ethical.
The facility [University of Utah] is Very clean and organized. Appointments usually run on time or may require a short wait time. But they inform you of that upon checking in. Courteous staff including the front and billing departments. The phlebotomists and MAs are helpful and kind and always willing to listen...
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Come in with questions. She will answer the best way she can.
She was very patient with my husband and I. Would answer all our questions and we would usually have a list. Even if we became redundant, she remained patient.
Out first cycle for ivf didn’t not yield the results we wanted, so Dr. Johnstone made a slight alteration to the treatment plan and we had better results the next time. Changing the agonist to antagonist.
Very thorough. She has a lot of experience so you feel secure with her. She’s excited for you and optimistic for her patients.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The facility is Very clean and organized. Appointments usually run on time or may require a short wait time. But they inform you of that upon checking in. Courteous staff including the front and billing departments. The phlebotomists and MAs are helpful and kind and always willing to listen.
Her treatment cost met the national standard
She not the facility allows multiple embryo transfer
Salt Lake City

He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] was an excellent doctor and treated both me and my husband with great care and seeing him interact with us and other patients you knew he loved his job and cares about his patients...He was very genuine and answered any and all questions we had. I felt he did everything he could to help us in our situation. He explained what would happen after IUI attempts did not work and explained the steps we needed to take for IVF.
All of the nurses [at University of Utah] were wonderful and had excellent bedside manner and treated us with respect and overall caring...The facility was nice and clean and professional. I felt they accommodated for my busy work schedule and made appointments available on short notice. They care about the patients and even throw Luaus to celebrate patient success!...He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] was an excellent doctor and treated both me and my husband with great car
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Ask as many questions as possible don't ever feel intimidated because knowledge is power
He was an excellent doctor and treated both me and my husband with great care and seeing him interact with us and other patients you knew he loved his job and cares about his patients
My situation is slightly different from some, but he had me on clomid to increase egg production and did multiple ultrasounds if he didn't see the results he was hoping during the first one.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
All of the nurses were wonderful and had excellent bedside manner and treated us with respect and overall caring.
Salt Lake City
[Dr. Peterson] Never made me feel rushed or like he was in a hurry...I did this from st George which is not his main office, he only comes down 1-2 times a month. He gave me his cell number and was always very kind / helpful / knowledgeable. I went to his main office 4 hours away for the egg retrieval and embryo transfer and he performed both...was very knowledgeable and explained things very well to us.
The costs [at University of Utah] varied depending on medications needed. IUI’s I think we’re $500-$1500 each. The IVF was $10k plus he cost of medications...We felt very comfortable in their offices and Dr Peterson was very knowledgeable and explained things very well to us. I’m grateful he makes time to come to a 2nd location a couple of times a month so that I didn’t have to travel 4 hours for each visit and had great doctors he partnered with for the IUI’s when he wasn’t going to be in town
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Great doctor! I did this from st George which is not his main office, he only comes down 1-2 times a month. He gave me his cell number and was always very kind / helpful / knowledgeable. I went to his main office 4 hours away for the egg retrieval and embryo transfer and he performed both.
Never made me feel rushed or like he was in a hurry.
They were good, but sometimes felt a lack of communication due to me being 4 hours away and not at their main office
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They were great. We felt very comfortable in their offices and Dr Peterson was very knowledgeable and explained things very well to us. I’m grateful he makes time to come to a 2nd location a couple of times a month so that I didn’t have to travel 4 hours for each visit and had great doctors he partnered with for the IUI’s when he wasn’t going to be in town
Efficient
The costs varied depending on medications needed. IUI’s I think we’re $500-$1500 each. The IVF was $10k plus he cost of medications
My doctor was against transferring more than one embryo, but left the decision up to my husband and I.