1127 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90017

I thought her [Dr. Ketefian's] recommendations were a little on the conservative side (e.g., having us wait a full 12 months of trying to conceive naturally before running any diagnostic tests, recommending IUI before IVF despite male factor infertility diagnosis), but I understand the value of trying less intensive treatments first. I liked that Dr. Ketefian called me to give me an update on our embryo development after our egg retrieval. Our results were worse than I anticipated, so I appreciated that Dr. Ketefian called me to tell me the news (instead of the nurse), but I wish someone (Dr. or nurses) had prepped me for the full range of possible outcomes, good and bad, just so I could've been more prepared. Overall, great doctor. Highly recommend.
The clinic [USC] rarely picks up their phone, so any time I want to talk to a nurse I have to leave a message and they'd email me back a few hours later. My nurse never saw me when I came in for my monitoring appointments, even when she was working at the clinic. After Dr. Ketefian called me on Day 1 after egg retrieval, I didn't hear back from the clinic (no Day 3 or 5 updates). I called at the end of the day on Day 6 and asked for a call back and they finally emailed me an update. I don't know if it's common for them to skip the Day 3 or 5 updates, but Dr. Ketefian said the clinic would call with a Day 3 update, which they didn't. Care coordinator Elena is super friendly and nice.
How was your experience with Aline Ketefian at USC?
During our initial consult and throughout our treatment, Dr. Ketefian has been patient, empathic, and understanding. She speaks calmly, carefully, and with purpose. I never feel rushed and she always makes sure I don't have any more questions. I thought her recommendations were a little on the conservative side (e.g., having us wait a full 12 months of trying to conceive naturally before running any diagnostic tests, recommending IUI before IVF despite male factor infertility diagnosis), but I understand the value of trying less intensive treatments first. I liked that Dr. Ketefian called me to give me an update on our embryo development after our egg retrieval. Our results were worse than I anticipated, so I appreciated that Dr. Ketefian called me to tell me the news (instead of the nurse), but I wish someone (Dr. or nurses) had prepped me for the full range of possible outcomes, good and bad, just so I could've been more prepared. Overall, great doctor. Highly recommend.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aline Ketefian at USC?
Ask lots of questions. She's nonjudgmental and never made us feel like we were asking dumb questions. Also, anticipate that you probably won't get to see Dr. Ketefian during all of your monitoring appointments. She did about 25% of my monitoring ultrasounds.
Describe the protocols Aline Ketefian used in your cycles at USC and their degree of success.
I was prescribed Gonal F, menopur, and ganirelix. 15 eggs retrieved, 1 blastocyst.
Describe your experience with your nurse at USC. (Assigned nurse: Sarah, Elena)
The clinic rarely picks up their phone, so any time I want to talk to a nurse I have to leave a message and they'd email me back a few hours later. My nurse never saw me when I came in for my monitoring appointments, even when she was working at the clinic. After Dr. Ketefian called me on Day 1 after egg retrieval, I didn't hear back from the clinic (no Day 3 or 5 updates). I called at the end of the day on Day 6 and asked for a call back and they finally emailed me an update. I don't know if it's common for them to skip the Day 3 or 5 updates, but Dr. Ketefian said the clinic would call with a Day 3 update, which they didn't. Care coordinator Elena is super friendly and nice.
Describe your experience with USC.
Some of the doctors do 7 AM appointments. I usually arrive at the clinic before 7 AM and am one of the first few to be seen and haven't had to wait much. They seem pretty busy - the waiting area is usually filled with patients. They have a sign at the front asking people to leave their kids at home and I only encountered one instance in which a couple brought their newborn baby to the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aline Ketefian at USC.
Cost of egg retrieval including meds: $12,950
Describe the specific things that went wrong at USC.
I submitted a request (they have a form you have to complete) for a release of medical records. The other clinic and I both called USC numerous times asking for my medical records and they kept saying "hold your horses, we need 7-10 business days to process your request." Fair enough. CA law requires that clinics provide copies within 15 days of receipt of the request. It took USC 13 business days and 17 calendar days. Fertility treatments are time sensitive, so this delay was stressful.
Aline Ketefian

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Review of
Dr. Dhesi will treat you like a full partner in the process. She's receptive if you do your own research, bring questions and engage in dialogue about options. If you're looking for someone to take control of your IVF journey and just ride along, you may not be happy with her. ... She focuses on evidence based treatment plans, gets input from others and shares the statistics with her patients so they can make an informed decision.
USC was busy. I always went in the early morning and tried to be first on the list so I could get out of there within a half hour, but if I was late it would drag on. Most of the staff was very nice, but they did not accommodate an acupuncturist for the transfer, which is the primary reason we are switching for the second transfer. ... I didn't have a good experience with the primary nurse. She gave me inaccurate information on multiple occasions and was a frustrating person to try to communicate with.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at USC?
I believe Dr. Dhesi is skilled and precise -- I trust her testing and procedures fully. She takes her time and is thorough. My ultrasounds, retrievals and transfer all went better than expected. She focuses on evidence based treatment plans, gets input from others and shares the statistics with her patients so they can make an informed decision. She doesn't take a forceful posture when discussing options -- she shares thoughts but lets us make the decisions. Sometimes my husband struggles with that and wants her to show more leadership in navigating the complexity. Also I don't always feel like she is tracking the various moving pieces with my treatment. Which is complicated and involves other doctors, but I would feel more confident if she seemed totally current on what I'm taking (especially if she prescribed it) when I'm done, etc. On a few occasions I saw doctors with significantly more years of experience and saw the value there. I'm a tricky case and might have benefitted from someone who had worked with a number of other patients in similar situations and had direct, rather than theoretical experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amy Dhesi at USC?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amy Dhesi at USC?
Dr. Dhesi was the third RE we met with on our fertility journey, and also the youngest. My age was setting off alarm bells for everyone, but she was very candid with us about the factors, odds and our prospects. She put a plan together in partnership with us, shared her thinking and recommendations but took our input. She was sincere and authentic in our interactions, but not so intimate as to be off-putting (we met a few doctors like that and it's not a good fit for us. She's a professional and a partner in this process, but she's treating us like people not like objects she's performing work on.
Describe the protocols Amy Dhesi used in your cycles at USC and their degree of success.
It was a few years ago, I don't recall offhand.
Describe your experience with your nurse at USC. (Assigned nurse: Elena)
I didn't have a good experience with the primary nurse. She gave me inaccurate information on multiple occasions and was a frustrating person to try to communicate with. We actually switched clinics for the second transfer for multiple reasons, but one was to try to find a better nurse. The other nurses at my clinic were all wonderful, it was just my primary that I had trouble with.
Describe your experience with USC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amy Dhesi at USC.
USC Pricing: Retrieval -- IVF: Package: $11,902 + ICSI, AH, Cryopreservation, Meds FET -- $4004 + Meds
Describe Amy Dhesi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at USC.
My 16 embryos were retrieved when I was 44, and my doctor recommended transferring 5 at a time. We opted to do 4 to slightly reduce the chance of multiples and to give us a few more "at bats" in case there are issues with the uterus or transfer. She helped us evaluate the factors in this decision and accepted our result.
Amy Dhesi
Review of

But we are writing this before transfer so there is still a chance our one embryo will succeed. In this purgatory period, our honest assessment of Dr. Paulson is of someone staring closely at the data and his published papers on the science with only a passing glance at his patients....He travels quite a bit and can be extremely hard to track down. However, we were told he would be there throughout and he wasn't. So not sure if his schedule is all that predictable...In the room, Dr. Paulson is thorough and forthright. There is no beating around the bush, which in almost every sense is a relief. However, between he and his nurses there were often times when it was nearly impossible to get clear information from them. No response for days, contradictory information, etc.
It often took several calls to get the information promised [at USC]. We would get an email from the nurse saying one thing and the doctor would say another. Surprises in treatment changes were frequent...Monitoring appointments are done within a very early time range. Other than the ungodly hour, the appointment ran smoothly and with care...$15,000 for IVF cycle. $4,000 for retrieval. $4,000 for transfer... is a bit of a factory farm. Front desk and finance feel like somewhere between a car dealership and a nail salon. Facility is basic and to the point. Nothing special or particularly terribl
How was your experience with Richard Paulson at USC?
It would be dishonest not to admit that if our results were different, we may have a somewhat more positive view of Dr. Paulson's care. But we are writing this before transfer so there is still a chance our one embryo will succeed. In this purgatory period, our honest assessment of Dr. Paulson is of someone staring closely at the data and his published papers on the science with only a passing glance at his patients.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Paulson at USC?
Make sure he will be in town for the duration of your IVF cycle. He travels quite a bit and can be extremely hard to track down. However, we were told he would be there throughout and he wasn't. So not sure if his schedule is all that predictable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Paulson at USC?
Describe the protocols Richard Paulson used in your cycles at USC and their degree of success.
First, fibroid removal surgery. Then IVF cycle which produced 6 promising follicles. Unfortunately, only 2 eggs were retrieved and only one of those eggs became a viable embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at USC. (Assigned nurse: Terry)
Nurse Terry was fantastic in all the ways you'd want from a primary nurse. If only she'd been in support of a more consistent doctor we would have had an ideal experience with her.
Describe your experience with USC.
USC Fertility is a bit of a factory farm. Front desk and finance feel like somewhere between a car dealership and a nail salon. Facility is basic and to the point. Nothing special or particularly terrible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at USC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Paulson at USC.
$15,000 for IVF cycle. $4,000 for retrieval. $4,000 for transfer. Unknown additional costs for embryo freeze.
Describe Richard Paulson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at USC.
Dr. Paulson's belief is the more the merrier.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at USC.
It often took several calls to get the information promised. We would get an email from the nurse saying one thing and the doctor would say another. Surprises in treatment changes were frequent.
Richard Paulson

2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. B [Bendikson] was great at first, during our initial consultation taking a lot of time to explain things to me. But was not always the one conducting my US's and the US's themselves were extremely painful. After about 5 of them she mentions off-hand DURING the US that I might have endometriosis, something she had never mentioned before and is not part of my medical history.... It was also traumatic to have such devastating news imparted to me DURING a vaginal ultrasound.
Clinic [USC] was crowded and only had walk-in hours for monitoring which led to hours and hours of waiting if you showed up too late. It was conveniently located for me. We had a billing issue that was difficult to resolve and entirely avoidable on their part.... There were different medical residents or fellows seeing me every time I went in for monitoring.... The nurse was good and very cheerful, but a little overworked and not always very responsive.
How was your experience with Kristin Bendikson at USC?
Dr. B was great at first, during our initial consultation taking a lot of time to explain things to me. But was not always the one conducting my US's and the US's themselves were extremely painful. After about 5 of them she mentions off-hand DURING the US that I might have endometriosis, something she had never mentioned before and is not part of my medical history. When my ovaries did not seem active after only about 3 months off of OCP (after 20 years on them) she wanted to start me on Clomid and just plow forward with a cycle. After leaving her and seeing my current RE, I realized that that course of action would have been completely wrong and ineffective given my hormone levels. I am very happy that I left then and did not waste any more time. Because she was ultimately totally incorrect about the course of treatment that was right for me and her abrupt manner and painful US's, I would never recommend her to anyone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristin Bendikson at USC?
Find someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristin Bendikson at USC?
There were different medical residents or fellows seeing me every time I went in for monitoring. But Dr. B's nurse was pretty good.
Describe the protocols Kristin Bendikson used in your cycles at USC and their degree of success.
Her strategy was to let my ovaries recover after years of OCP, and then administer Clomid which would have had NO effect given my hormone levels. I had zero results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at USC. (Assigned nurse: Vicky)
Describe your experience with USC.
Clinic was crowded and only had walk-in hours for monitoring which led to hours and hours of waiting if you showed up too late. It was conveniently located for me. We had a billing issue that was difficult to resolve and entirely avoidable on their part.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristin Bendikson at USC.
Costs were pretty similar to other providers in this area.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at USC.
I felt that they did not really understand what was happening with my body, due to the drastically different approach of my current RE. It was also traumatic to have such devastating news imparted to me DURING a vaginal ultrasound. You are in such a vulnerable state mentally and emotionally and I don't feel that they did a good job respecting that.
Kristin Bendikson

2013, Successful
He [Dr. Sami Jabara] was quirky and direct with a good sense of humor. He gave the sense of trying to feed his patients good/positive energy. My main issues w my experience w him was that he split his time between usc and kaiser and seemed overworked and that it was a difficult pace to maintain...He seemed very attentive to me when we interacted....Go with the flow with his sense of humor...Poor communication between lab/nurse/doctor.
Poor communication [at USC Fertility] between lab/nurse/doctor. Still were using paper systems which led to errors in my care...Was told incorrect number of embryos after first frozen embryo transfer and then given incorrect info one more time after that!!...[Nurse] Darlene was cold and gave me incorrect information about the number of embryos I had left. I really disliked the way she talked to me and she never apologized... I was seen within 20 minutes of my time
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at USC?
He was quirky and direct with a good sense of humor. He gave the sense of trying to feed his patients good/positive energy. My main issues w my experience w him was that he split his time between usc and kaiser and seemed overworked and that it was a difficult pace to maintain. I also got really frustrated by his nurse when I came back for an attempt at a second child. It was a new nurse and she was cold and gave me incorrect information about how many embryos I had left, which ultimately led to my trying a new clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sami Jabara at USC?
Go with the flow with his sense of humor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sami Jabara at USC?
He seemed very attentive to me when we interacted. However I felt the clinic was not as good as the specific doctor
Describe the protocols Sami Jabara used in your cycles at USC and their degree of success.
I was on bcps for suppression pre-cycle then gonal-f, menopur and ganirelix. I responded super well and got lots of eggs. No major adjustments were necessary!
Describe your experience with your nurse at USC. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Garbutt and Darlene Estrada)
Lauren was great but the. She moved to Portland. Darlene was cold and gave me incorrect information about the number of embryos I had left. I really disliked the way she talked to me and she never apologized.
Describe your experience with USC.
Poor communication between lab/nurse/doctor. Still were using paper systems which led to errors in my care
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at USC.
It was usually fine and I was seen within 20 minutes of my time
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sami Jabara at USC.
I paid out of pocket for an Ivf icsi cycle that included all monitoring but excluded pre treatment testing. It was around 10k. Plus then paid for meds separately. I had no insurance coverage at the time.
Describe Sami Jabara's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at USC.
I transferred two day 3 embryos initially. When I came. Ack for frozen embryo transfers we strongly wanted eSet. He seemed to push for multiple but we said no and he didn't bring it up again.
Sami Jabara