7.3

6450 38th Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
13330 USF Laurel Dr.
Tampa, FL 33612

Dr. Ploskar was wonderful at answering my questions. He took the time to talk to me when I had appointments with him...was clear, concise, and had no issue explaining his reasoning behind different paths we could and should take. He didn't have the most warm bedside manner, but he wasn't cruel or rude. Just matter of fact. For me, it was more important that I have a thorough understanding of every decision we were making than to have someone who was warm and fuzzy.
I have a shellfish allergy. My doctor [at USF IVF and Reproductive Endocrinology] sent me for an HSG, which injects an iodine solution inside you. I had multiple phone calls with nurses to make sure that I was on the correct cocktail of medications to ensure that I was not going to have a major allergic event. After the test, I was supposed to hear back from my doctor/nurse. I never did, so I called. It turns out that my doctor left USF for Shady Grove weeks prior. No one mentioned that to me, during the multiple conversations about medication. No one called to tell me I was no longer under his care. None of the nurses said anything to me when I checked in for my HSG. I had an allergen injected into m
How was your experience with Shayne Plosker at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Dr. Plosker was clear, concise, and had no issue explaining his reasoning behind different paths we could and should take. He didn't have the most warm bedside manner, but he wasn't cruel or rude. Just matter of fact. For me, it was more important that I have a thorough understanding of every decision we were making than to have someone who was warm and fuzzy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shayne Plosker at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Don't expect a warm and overly inviting doctor. He is very matter of fact.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shayne Plosker at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Dr. Ploskar was wonderful at answering my questions. He took the time to talk to me when I had appointments with him. I understand, in his position, that he was very busy. I wish I know beforehand whether I was meeting with him or his nurse. Sometime I met with the nurse and she'd have to talk to him another time and get back to me. She always got back to me in a timely manner, I just wish I could have had more one on one time with him
Describe the protocols Shayne Plosker used in your cycles at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
My previous doctor had run a blood test that showed I ovulated, but my progesterone had been low. That doctor had me on topical progesterone. Plosker explained to me the shortcomings of topical and why he thought that oral would help me more. Knowing what my progesterone had been, he wasn't certain that I was actually ovulating every cycle, so he started monthly bloodwork. It turns out, he was correct. It's pretty rare for me to ovulate. At this point, we've tried clomid, letrozole, and metformin trying to get me to ovulate. None have worked. I have an appointment with him next week to discuss injectable options. At this point, our goal is to get my ovulating and trying to conceive naturally for a few cycles. If, at that point, we are still unsuccessful, we are going to move to IVF, most likely with ICSI because of some MFI issues.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
The nursing staff were incredibly friendly and got back to me quickly; however, they made a major (in my opinion) mistake and I am no longer comfortable going to USF. I have a shellfish allergy. My doctor sent me for an HSG, which injects an iodine solution inside you. I had multiple phone calls with nurses to make sure that I was on the correct cocktail of medications to ensure that I was not going to have a major allergic event. After the test, I was supposed to hear back from my doctor/nurse. I never did, so I called. It turns out that my doctor left USF for Shady Grove weeks prior. No one mentioned that to me, during the multiple conversations about medication. No one called to tell me I was no longer under his care. None of the nurses said anything to me when I checked in for my HSG. I had an allergen injected into my body and I was not under a doctor's care and no one told me.
Describe your experience with USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
I would never go back to USF again. As I stated prior in this review, USF neglected to tell me that my doctor had left. I have a shellfish allergy and I had communicated multiple times with USF nurses and staff about additional medications I should be taking to avoid an allergic reaction during my HSG. I was injected with an allergen and no one told me my doctor left and I was not under a doctor's care. Once I called the clinic and was told this, I asked what next steps were, since I was supposed to make an appointment after the HSG to discuss injectibles. The clinic told me that there were no openings, and despite already waiting months to get in with Dr. Plosker, I had to, yet again, get on a waitlist to see another doctor there. I was a patient in active treatment. It's been a month. No one from USF has reached out to me. I am out of refills on my medications. I found Dr. Ploskar at Shady Grove and I'm not awaiting an appointment with him there to continue treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shayne Plosker at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
So far, my insurance has covered most of my appointments, so there havent been any surprises
Describe Shayne Plosker's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
The clinic my doctor is currently at says that the do not see greater results with multiple embryo transfers. I trust them and agree that, if that is true, I dont want to risk complications
What specific things went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
The doctor left my clinic before a procedure that was scheduled for me. The procedure used iodine and I have a seafood allergy, so I was on a gamut of medications to prevent an allergic reaction. No one told me the doctor left. I was injected with an allergen and I was not under a doctor's care. This is dangerous. No one called me after the procedure to discuss results and next steps. When I called, they told me that the doctor had left and that there were no openings available to continue treatment with another doctor. I would have to stop my current treatment and go on a waitlist.
Shayne Plosker
St. Petersburg

Dr. Imudia never altered my dosage or medications. I would have to call his office and request my results be reviewed and dosage changed. He would never speak to me one on one after our first an only appointment together. Everything was relayed through the nurses [USF IVF and Reproductive Endocrinology]. ... I had to call in about the option of scheduling my IUI, no one contacted me after my 3 months to start those arrangements.
I was not called with results on blood work and examinations. The nurses [USF IVF and Reproductive Endocrinology] constantly lost my paperwork and left me with no medication to prep for IUI. My times for appointments were changed constantly and there was never an understanding on what my next steps would be. ... They do have weekend appointments and early morning. ... Please note only about 2 staff (nurses) work at a time so you will see a lot of people waiting but no one at the front desk. ... He recommended we do clomid for 3 months before doing IUI. ...
How was your experience with Anthony Imudia at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Dr. Imudia never altered my dosage or medications. I would have to call his office and request my results be reviewed and dosage changed. He would never speak to me one on one after our first an only appointment together. Everything was relayed through the nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Imudia at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
This will be a very independent process on the patients end with no support from the office, doctor or staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Imudia at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
As a patient my calls were returned 2 days later, none of my emails received responses and he only met with me one time during five months of treatments doing none of my procedures.
Describe the protocols Anthony Imudia used in your cycles at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
He recommended we do clomid for 3 months before doing IUI. I had to request him to increase dosage to see if there would be a change. I never got a call, follow-up appointment or check in to see about the monthly results. I would have to call in and inform them I was not pregnant. Also, I had to call in about the option of scheduling my IUI, no one contacted me after my 3 months to start those arrangements.
There were only two nurses I met. One who did my ultrasound and was very nice and the other who coordinated appointments and medications. The one who did all medications would have to be reminded to call in at the pharmacy and there were two times that when my pharmacy did not have the medication that I was left to track down another pharmacy while in the waiting room to get my medications. The staff left me there to panic in trying to find a new pharmacy last minute.
Describe your experience with USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
They do have weekend appointments and early morning. Also they are centrally located, have a lunch area if you are waiting long and are located in different areas. Please note only about 2 staff (nurses) work at a time so you will see a lot of people waiting but no one at the front desk.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Imudia at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
The cost of the clomid was about $20 if not less. Each IUI was about $500-$700 and the trigger shot before each IUI was about $250. I also had to pay a co-pay for each visit and for my husbands exams.
Describe Anthony Imudia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
It was never discussed.
What specific things went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
I was not called with results on blood work and examinations. The nurses constantly lost my paperwork and left me with no medication to prep for IUI. My times for appointments were changed constantly and there was never an understanding on what my next steps would be.
Tampa

Dr. Mayer was supposedly our primary care doctor, but we only saw him during our initial visit to sign up AND PAY FOR our IVF cycle. We literally never saw him again. I get that it's a teaching hospital, but there really should be some sort of consistency whereby the patient feels like their primary doctor is in-the-know. Dr. Mayer is very hard to understand and is not very good at explaining the IVF process. He claims to have told you something when he never did. Maybe he told somebody (another patient), but not me...
You NEVER receive a call or a visit from the same nurse [at USF - S Tampa]. They are incredibly disorganized, they rarely call back or return phone calls and only one or two of them are slightly friendly. I felt very little empathy or compassion from any of them. Not surprising, the entire clinic staff is COLD. If you can't be friendly, can you at least fake it? Nope, not there...
How was your experience with James Mayer at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
We chose USF IVF (South Tampa) because our sperm was frozen there and we had no idea what we were in for! Dr. Mayer was supposedly our primary care doctor, but we only saw him during our initial visit to sign up AND PAY FOR our IVF cycle. We literally never saw him again. I get that it's a teaching hospital, but there really should be some sort of consistency whereby the patient feels like their primary doctor is in-the-know. Dr. Mayer is very hard to understand and is not very good at explaining the IVF process. He claims to have told you something when he never did. Maybe he told somebody (another patient), but not me. We saw other doctors including Dr. Plosker, the department head, and he was equally as terrible. He didn't even know my name when he entered the room. He certainly didn't know our story - my husband had cancer and due to the chemo and radiation, his sperm count is now at zero. It's like nobody ever wrote that in our chart and I had to remind every person why we were there. As if having cancer and going through infertility in back to back years isn't enough! The only doctor that remembered or acted like he cared was Dr. Imudia, but we only saw him once. You never get the same nurse or doctor and they always act like you are a burden when you call with a question. That's IF you ever get a call back. They are either TERRIBLY UNDERSTAFFED or TERRIBLY UNORGANIZED AND INEFFICIENT - or both. We only had a certain amount of frozen sperm (5 total vials, that is all we had on earth and that is all we would ever have due to the cancer) and we were given HORRIBLE advice by Dr. Mayer to use 3 of those 5 precious vials for IUI's. I've been told now by two other infertility clinics that we never should have "wasted" these precious vials on IUI because we had such a limited supply and it wasn't worth the risk. So after we wasted 3 of our 5 vials on failed IUI's, we should have bailed on this clinic, but we still didn't know better. We did an IVF cycle with them and only retrieved 6 eggs after my egg retrieval. AFter that retrieval, we SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASKED if we wanted to thaw a vial of frozen sperm and still proceed (since we got so few eggs), but they didn't give us that advice. They used the sperm, only 2 embryos were created and neither tested normal after genetic testing. Crappy results we could handle, but come to find out (if we only knew then what we know now), they could have saved the remainder of the sperm for that vial and it could have been re-frozen. It was something like 14 million sperm and they only used a couple - the rest can be re-frozen for future use!!! We HAD NO CLUE this was an option and it was NEVER PRESENTED TO US. So they threw the remainder of the sperm away - KNOWING we only had one more vial on earth to work with. SO INCREDIBLY CARELESS - and our second IVF clinic, the one we're currently at, can not believe we were not told that sperm can be re-frozen and used over again. They knew my husband had cancer, they knew he was not producing any more sperm, they KNEW we only had one vial left and they didn't care to tell us how to save the remainder of what could have been saved from our 4th vial. They just threw it out!!!! So, we were left with one vial out of 5 and we quickly decided we would never trust them with our final vial and we got it the HECK out of their freezers and across the state to an IVF clinic in Jacksonville. They also didn't make it easy for us to retrieve our final vial of sperm, it was also a pain in the butt process, but we got it done and out of there.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Mayer at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Do not use USF IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Mayer at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
My husband and I had a very specific and unique story and it's as if they never heard our story. Every visit, I had to remind whomever saw us. It was NEVER the same person and our standard of care and our protocol was not tailored to our specific circumstances, it was based only on numbers and what may or may not have worked for the "general population." Nobody even remembered my name from visit to visit. And we NEVER saw Dr. Mayer, our primary IVF doctor.
Describe the protocols James Mayer used in your cycles at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
Dr. Mayer followed a standard protocol with us, we were not seen as an individual case, but a number. We told them over and over we only had a limited amount of frozen sperm to work with and each time we were there, it's like nobody remembered this. When our cycle failed and we asked him what he would do differently, he told me "you need new ovaries." WOW. I have no known fertility issues, our only issue is the fact that my husband's sperm count was wiped out because of his cancer treatment. He was referring to the fact that more eggs may have produced better results since it's simply a numbers game, but he literally has no bedside manner when speaking to patients. New ovaries? Nope, how about a new doctor. One that cares, yes, that's what we needed - somebody that cares - or at least can act like they do! We needed a doctor that looked at our specific circumstances and offered proactive advice based on our personal case, not based on numbers. For example, knowing only 6 eggs were retrieved and knowing full well it's a numbers game (the more eggs you get, the higher your chances are of getting normal embryos), they should have: 1) given us the option of whether we wanted to proceed with thawing a vial and doing ICSI on the 6 eggs, 2) advised us about our odds with only 6 eggs, 3) recommended either freezing the eggs and doing another cycle to increase our odds, or 4) TOLD US WE COULD RE-FREEZE the remaining sperm from the thawed vial so that we had more chances should we need them in the future! Nope, none of that was offered or advised. If ONLY we knew then what we know now! But we weren't the experts, we trusted them to be the experts and give us the best advice for our specific circumstances and they failed over and over at that. In total, they wasted 4 out of 5 vials of the only sperm we had left to create a baby.
You NEVER receive a call or a visit from the same nurse. They are incredibly disorganized, they rarely call back or return phone calls and only one or two of them are slightly friendly. I felt very little empathy or compassion from any of them. Not surprising, the entire clinic staff is COLD. If you can't be friendly, can you at least fake it? Nope, not there.
Describe your experience with USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
I can't think of many strengths, except that you would think that the USF affiliation would mean good things. But alas, it does not with this clinic. I almost did not want to write this review because some would see it as "sour grapes" since we did not receive a positive pregnancy. But upon 8 months of reflection after the fact, I realized I wish I had read reviews of the clinic before I gave them $20K+ of my money. So I'm hoping this helps somebody else make an informed decision. Even if we'd received a positive pregnancy here, I would not rate it well. It was a terrible experience all around.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Mayer at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
$18K for IVF, $2K for IUI
What specific things went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
The clinic is not well run. I had 2 appointments changed or cancelled without my knowledge and on more than one occasion we waited more than 2 hours for our scheduled appointment. Not even an apology or acknowledgement of their tardiness was mentioned once we were seen. We were never told what doctor we'd be seeing and we never saw the same doctor or nurse. And every time a new doctor or nurse would come in, they wouldn't know our names, our personal history and it's like they didn't even open the chart before entering the room.
James Mayer

2014, Unsuccessful
Every time I saw him [Dr. Plosker], he spent the first five minutes reading his computer about my history. He never remembered me and always seemed forgetful....He was distant, played on my desperate emotion by promising false hopes. At first, he seemed to care, but after each visit, I was left wondering if he even knew my name. After the chemical pregnancy ended, his aftercare was atrocious.
The nurses [at USF] were amazing. I always felt supported and cared for by each one of them...Once I decided to switch doctors, it took over three months for my records to be released and only half of them were. I called every week and was given different information or told things to appease me. I was overcharged and sent bills for procedures done months after.
I feel like I was taken advantage of, not because it didn't work but because of his care. He was distant, played on my desperate emotion by promising false hopes. At first, he seemed to care, but after each visit, I was left wondering if he even knew my name. After the chemical pregnancy ended, his aftercare was atrocious. He even changed his percentage, and insinuating that he knew it was not going to work. I honestly feel like he swindled us out of money. I would never recommend him to anybody.
If you choose to use him, get second opinions and be skeptical of his promises.
Every time I saw him, he spent the first five minutes reading his computer about my history. He never remembered me and always seemed forgetful. One vivid example is the blood work he ordered. They drew so much blood, I had to use both arms. When I went back for the results he actually said, "Wow, who ordered all these unecessary tests?" As a result, I had to pay for tests not needed. Also, instead of suggesting surgery to unblock my tubes, he said IVF was my best shot.
I injected myself twice daily with very high hormones. They monitored my eggs at first every four days, eventually it was every other day. Once the eggs were transferred, I had to put progesterone in vaginally. Unfortunately, I travelled to Ireland one week after the transfer without any hesitation from him. Also, during the injections and after the transfer, I was not allowed to drink or exercise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: I don't remember her name)
The nurses were amazing. I always felt supported and cared for by each one of them. I wish they worked for someone else because they were the complete opposite of Dr.Plosker. They were very compassionate and always answered every question.
Describe your experience with USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
The clinic is clean and efficient. It is in a building with other medical needs. The wait room is small and they are sometimes quick.
15,000 plus extra for all the unecessary bloodwork.
What specific things went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Once I decided to switch doctors, it took over three months for my records to be released and only half of them were. I called every week and was given different information or told things to appease me. I was overcharged and sent bills for procedures done months after. There was a lack of communication from not only Dr.Plosker, but also the staff who deals with records.
Shayne Plosker
St. Petersburg
He [Dr. Anthony Imudia] was wonderful, always talked to me and answered all my questions. Very kind doctor...He is a very thorough doctor. Tells me his honest opinion and doesn’t sugar coat anything. He is Always on time when I have an appointment. He is very professional and has perfect bed side manner. My husband and I experienced a miscarriage this past year and he was very comforting and sincere when he gave us the news. He sat with us and helped us decide what we should do next.
Every IUI i had cost us about $700 dollars plus 100$ for meds [at USF IVF and Reproductive Endocrinology]...I think one of the clinics weaknesses is not having any satellite offices to be able to get your ultrasounds done at. I am about an hour away and sometimes would have to go up there three or four times a week for monitoring I wish they had an office closer to me...[nurse was] Very sincere every time I talk to her always tries to keep me positive even though I’ve had a rough day. She is one of the nicest nurses I’ve spoke to at USF Health
Just know you might not see Dr Imudia at every visit. Sometimes you might see his nurse practitioner or another dr there
He was wonderful, always talked to me and answered all my questions. Very kind doctor.
Dr Imudia had me take 7.5 mg of Femera for 5 days. Then come in for ultrasounds on day 11- if my follicle was the right size they would have me take my trigger shot. 36 hours later I would come back for my IUI. Two days later I would start my progesterone 200mg two x day
Describe your experience with your nurse at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
Every IUI i had cost us about $700 dollars plus 100$ for meds
St. Petersburg

I did timed intercourse with Letrozole for 10 months before we moved forward to IUI. In the consultation for that, he [Dr. Anthony Imudia] said that after 6 months of treatment my chances of getting pregnant with medication/timed intercourse were minimal. How did no one told me that after 6 months? I expressed concerns that I may have endometriosis, he said it was possible, but there was nothing we could to about it.
[USF IVF and Reproductive Endo-St. Petersburg's] Strengths: Multiple locations Weaknesses: cold staff, appointments are too far away from when you call, even if you are a patient. If this is your only choice, it is worth it to try. They will give you a diagnostic.... They are always in a hurry. My husband and I always talk about how impersonal and cold this people are, giving that their patients are going thru something very difficult.
I did timed intercourse with Letrozole for 10 months before we moved forward to IUI. In the consultation for that, he said that after 6 months of treatment my chances of getting pregnant with medication/timed intercourse were minimal. How did no one told me that after 6 months? I expressed concerns that I may have endometriosis, he said it was possible, but there was nothing we could to about it.
Please pay attention to each individual case. After my IUI I had intense ovary pain and with my history of PCOS, it could have been OHSS. I told him and he said it was normal and to take whatever I regularly take for period related pain.
Dr. Imudia is kind, but he doesn't take the time to figure out the best way of treatment for you.
Letroole 5 mg. For IUI round: Letrozole 7.5 mg, Shot
IUI, $740 Ovydrel Shot $150
What specific things went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
They never called me with any of my results. I complained to the Office Manager about it, after that, I received one call and that was it.
St. Petersburg

She [Dr. Melinda Henne] was very transparent with me. She listened to my concerns and was willing to start treatments without repeating all of the uncomfortable and unnecessary testing that i have already had done at my previous clinic.... She took time to discuss with me the reality of my situation and how hard it would be to get pregnant. She didn’t say it was impossible but provided details explaining why it would be difficult.
It was very quick checking in [at USF IVF and Reproductive Endo- Tampa]. I had my paperwork already competed which helped make things go quicker. Have your ID out and that will also make it go quicker. Easy to locate.... The nurse called in the wrong medication which almost made me pass out bc my sugar dropped so low.... I remember IUI was roughly around $700
How was your experience with Melinda Henne at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
She was very transparent with me. She listened to my concerns and was willing to start treatments without repeating all of the uncomfortable and unnecessary testing that i have already had done at my previous clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melinda Henne at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Go with questions. She will answer them honestly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melinda Henne at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Describe the protocols Melinda Henne used in your cycles at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
I went for consultation. She wants to start the IUI process.
Describe your experience with USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
It was very quick checking in. I had my paperwork already competed which helped make things go quicker. Have your ID out and that will also make it go quicker. Easy to locate. This has to be 200 words to submit so I’m rambling now to make it 200 words.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melinda Henne at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology.
I remember IUI was roughly around $700
What specific things went wrong at USF IVF & Reproductive Endocrinology?
Wrong prescription called in to pharmacy
Melinda Henne