Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
1801 Inwood Road
Dallas, TX 75390
214-645-3858
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UT Southwestern to a friend?
7.2

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
1 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
Strengths. I chose clinic b/c UTSW is a trusted facility and the online reviews were positive. Weakness, navigating the insurance and pharmacies is a full time job and clinic told me they would help but I have spent countless hours on phone with insurance and pharmacy by myself. I tried for weeks to get ahold of finance guy who never returned my call. I am not even sure if he still works there even though the front desk staff assured me that were forwarding my messages. When asking for help with all of the conflicting information from insurance, clinic told me that "it's confusing for us too". Which is unacceptable as they have helped countless patients in past. They should not be just as confused as I am. The whole process or pre-authorization for treatments and medications has been a nightmare.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samir Babayev at UT Southwestern?
My initial consultation with Samir was thorough and he made sure I understood what my options were given my specific scenario. He listened and had a good bedside manner. The only room for improvement would to see him more often during the labs and sonos. I typically only see the assisting doctors.
They were a few nurses down at times so response time was not as timely was i would have liked. I have also been going through circles with my provider and pharmacy and was told finance would help me navigate but instead the nurses have been helping. They have been somewhat helpful but when it comes to insurance there needs to be clearer guidance
What specific things went wrong at UT Southwestern?
How was your experience with Samir Babayev at UT Southwestern?
Overall, Dr. Babayev has a pleasant and patient personality which helps to soothe the stress during treatments. I did somewhat feel as though I was being taken through a sales presentation during my initial consultation b/c he still wanted to talk about my odds if I used a donor egg even though I told him donor eggs were a definite no as soon as I sat down to speak with him. I had some issues with the clinic and Dr. Babayev was responsive and apologetic and assured me that things would be resolved. Also as I mentioned in one question, I don't see him often. I spoke with him during initial consult, he helped another doctor perform my IUI and finally I spoke to him after a complaint with staff. It would help to build patient confidence if Babayev at least peaked in the room to say hello during some of the scans and labs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samir Babayev at UT Southwestern?
Advocate for yourself. If you are not interested in a treatment option they suggestion then advocate. Do not be coerced into treatments that you are not ready for. Wheter they be donor eggs are skipping IUI and moving to IVF. Of course listen to doctor but at end of day, it's your decision. And do your own reading and research so that you are not coming into the conversations with no background information.
Describe the protocols Samir Babayev used in your cycles at UT Southwestern and their degree of success.
Due to my age and AMH/FSH levels. Babayev suggested I go straight to mini-IVF. However, I started with an IUI as I originally thought IVF was not covered under my insurance. The IUI was a negative pregnancy test. Per Babayev initial recommendation, I am now doing my first treatment of mini-ivf with 100mg of clomid daily and then Menopur and Cetrotide injections. I have been on clomid for like 5 days now and will start injections tonight. Again, mini IVF was chosen b/c of my age, AMH and FSH. I also have only have about 3-4 total antral follicles during my scans.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samir Babayev at UT Southwestern.
I really can't remember itemized pricing but general pricing shared from finance was about 8k for Mini IVF and 1500-3k for meds.
Describe Samir Babayev's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UT Southwestern.
I don't recall him speaking on an approach. I did ask if I would do a retrieval after first cycle and he mentioned that i would likely not produce many eggs in a cycle and his goal was to try to collect 7-8 eggs after a few cycles.
Samir Babayev
Dallas

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Samir Babayev at UT Southwestern.

This is an academic institution [UT Southwestern] so there is significant turnover of the nursing staff...They are usually extremely quick to respond to portal messages... Strengths-individualized care... Weaknesses-nurse turnover, not as much hand holding like you would get at a private practice... Things to know- reproductive endocrinology fellows perform the tracking ultrasounds, not Bukulmez.
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
Strengths-individualized care, quick response to portal questions Weaknesses-nurse turnover, not as much hand holding like you would get at a private practice(but that was largely ok with me), they don’t do a high number of cases Things to know- reproductive endocrinology fellows perform the tracking ultrasounds, not Bukulmez. That was fine by me since most other places they are done by ultrasound techs. The fellows are board certified obgyns already so this was a bonus. Bukulmez does the transfers and retrievals and the early work up procedures
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
I chose Dr Bukulmez given that each patient receives personalized care and protocols. Bukulmez is extremely giving of his time during my consultations, much more so than the 2nd opinion I received prior to pursuing IVF from an outside physician
This is an academic institution so there is significant turnover of the nursing staff or the nurses are float nurses and not permanent. Bukulmez was very open that this was the case. I believe all the nurses now are permanent. They are usually extremely quick to respond to portal messages. I did have to advocate for myself sometimes so that I could speak to a fellow when it was a question above the nurses head.
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Bukulmez is the chairman of the department and one of my main reasons for seeing him was that he is at the forefront of the field, individualizes his protocols, and takes the toughest cases. He does communicate at a very high, medical level. I am a physician so I liked that, but it could possibly be challenging for people not in the medical field or going through this for the first time. My only complaint is I would have liked to get more detailed updates during my IVF cycle to more fully understand what was going on. He is very responsive to the portal messaging via his nursing staff
Describe the protocols Orhan Bukulmez used in your cycles at UT Southwestern and their degree of success.
Estrace priming followed me Antagonist protocol with follistim, menopur, cetrotide. His goal is quality over quantity and we were shooting for 8-14 quality eggs
Describe the costs associated with your care under Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern.
$10k not including meds
Describe Orhan Bukulmez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UT Southwestern.
He usually only recommends single embryo transfers in my experience. We only transferred &gt;1 bc they were concerned we wouldn’t make it to blastocyst stage
Dallas

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern.

4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Mini-IVF was recommended [at UT Southwestern] because I was over 40. It did result in fewer eggs but I don't believe it improved the quality. Over 4 rounds I had 4 eggs retrieved and none made it to blastocyst stage or were ever frozen, so I never made it to a transfer...They [nurses] were great at answering questions, calling in RX's, and just overall helpful...Mini IVF round would have run about $7,000 to completion including the transfer. I never got that far. So I paid about $4,000. Each cycle was billed as a lump sum fee that included all visits, ultrasounds and retrieval.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
No issues. Billing was fine. Front desk was polite. Labs were done in the office and the girls there were very patient even though it often took several stabs to draw my blood. I originally chose UT Southwestern because I thought they were on the cutting edge and might have new options for my "lost cause" case. I didn't really get that feeling though. We never tried a regular IVF cycle, as my doctor thought mini-IVF would be the better route. But that resulted in only 4 eggs total over 4 rounds of treatment. I don't feel like I got a fair chance to try and conceive. Because it was mini-IVF and required less drugs than a regular IVF cycle it cost me about $25k for 4 tries, instead of $20-$25k for one try of regular IVF. But the end result is the same. I never got to attempt a transfer because none of my eggs were viable, resulting in zero pregnancies. Had I had the money to continue I think I would have looked for a different doctor with new and different ideas. Dr. Bukulmez wasn't a bad doctor, he just didn't have that "never give up" attitude. I felt like I was climbing an uphill battle the whole way and didn't feel like he had much hope for my situation. I want a doctor who is my cheerleader and wants to make my dream come true. This just wasn't that place.
Doctor was nice. Never treated like a number. He does have a very strong accent though so you really have to pay attention. Goes through the information quickly. He always seemed rushed as a I assume there were lots of patients, but I didn't feel like a number. Not rude, just hurried.
They were great at answering questions, calling in RX's, and just overall helpful.
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Dr. Bukulmez seemed to be a good doctor. Never rude or mean. But he told me up front that I had only a 17% chance of having a baby with my own eggs. He recommended mini-IVF to focus on quality of eggs and not quantity. We went 4 rounds of mini-IVF. 1st round - 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, neither made it to blastocyst. 2nd round - 1 egg retrieved, 1 fertilized, made it to Day 3 only. 3rd round - 0 eggs retrieved. (I was given a $1,000 credit towards my next IVF because none of the sacs contained eggs.) 4th round - 1 egg retrieved, 1 egg fertilized, made it to Day 3. I think the one thing I wish would have happened was more trying different options. I felt like we were repeating the same protocol each time and hoping to get a different result. I could have pursued it further but after 4 rounds I was out more than $25,000 and I just couldn't afford to continue. Each round was looking less and less promising. Had it been the other way around and I felt like we were making progress I may have continued with Dr. Bukulmez but that wasn't the case. Not a bad doctor, I just didn't feel like his recommendations were very specialized based on my tests or outcomes. We tried one option and that was it. I probably should have pushed more, but I didn't see him often. Usually working with assistants or nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Be pushier. Ask more questions. Insist on more options.
Mini-IVF was recommended because I was over 40. It did result in fewer eggs but I don't believe it improved the quality. Over 4 rounds I had 4 eggs retrieved and none made it to blastocyst stage or were ever frozen, so I never made it to a transfer.

4 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
They're [nurses at UT Southwestern] organized, timely for appt, compassionate. Weaknesses-since dr is monitoring closely medications are adjusted daily. I ran out of Menpour first round of mini IVF due to no communication and planning on their end...Emails thru my chart has been effective with getting questions answered...He [Dr. Bukulmez] wanted to do mini IVF retrievals in order to get fewer but better quality eggs. He explained that every cycle is different with some months being better than others. Results have been positive so far with 4 frozen embryos.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
Advice would be to plan ahead on having extra medicine when doing an IVF, better to have extra. Don't schedule travel during a cycle and keep schedule open/flexible if possible. Emails thru my chart has been effective with getting questions answered
More specialized care, plus more monitoring and appts than previous dr.
They're organized, timely for appt, compassionate. Weaknesses-since dr is monitoring closely medications are adjusted daily. I ran out of Menpour first round of mini IVF due to no communication and planning on their end.
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
He's very thorough in explaining the process of mini IVF's, benefits and goals. He shows compassion and specialized care/approach for each patient. Even though UTSW is a teaching hospital, nice to know he does all surgeries and transfers.
Be sure to clear your schedule and be flexible from days 5-14 of your cycle for doctors appointments.
He wanted to do mini IVF retrievals in order to get fewer but better quality eggs. He explained that every cycle is different with some months being better than others. Results have been positive so far with 4 frozen embryos.
My insurance, BCBS of IL has been good, with all benefits met so no major charges yet in 2017
I'm not to the transfer part yet, although we have discussed implanting 2 embryos

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The finance department [at UT Southwestern] does the minimal - it seems like they are best at taking payments. If you have insurance, they do little to assess your benefits or coordinate any required pre approvals without a lot of effort on my part to ensure all the paperwork is provided and timely...None of the same nurses are at the clinic compared to the day we started. This makes it difficult to rate because they have varied - some better than others.
East Asian, South Asian
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
The finance department does the minimal - it seems like they are best at taking payments. If you have insurance, they do little to assess your benefits or coordinate any required pre approvals without a lot of effort on my part to ensure all the paperwork is provided and timely.
He spoke to us with empathy and respective to our specific situation.
What specific things went wrong at UT Southwestern?
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
When we first met Dr. B, one of the things he said about infertility being like other diseases and why people should look at it that way made a difference to me - showing how he looks at and approaches our situation. He is open about our chances but maintains a sense of hope that he can get us pregnant. Sometimes it’s difficult to understand him but overall we had minimal issues.
Ask questions - he is always open to our questions which is important
Single transfer recommended due to my unicornate uterus